PDA

View Full Version : Bonner apologists, please explain

Pages : [1] 2

itzsoweezee
03-20-2011, 03:06 PM
why past performance is not indicative of what we should expect from Bonner in the playoffs (Popovich apologists, this goes for you too)? Across the board the guy is absolutely horrible. Probably one of the worst players in the entire league in the playoffs. So, explain yourselves.

Career playoffs:
26 games
28 field goals, 77 fga, .364 fg%
14 3pt fgm, 44 3pt fga, .318 3p%
6 ast, 12 turnovers
2.9 pts/gm
2.0 reb/gm

PER: 6.9
Off rtg: 94
Def rtg: 111
Win shares/48: 0.011

xtremesteven33
03-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Bonner is the Anti-Horry

Hooks
03-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Bonner can't produce in the playoffs because he rarely gets wide open shots from 3 in the playoffs. Just look at nearly ALL of his 3 pointers this season/last season/the season before that, they're all wide open with nobody contesting his shot, that isn't the case in the playoffs though.

Out of all of Bonner's 3pt shots this season I think he's hit maybe 10-15 that were actually contested.

xtremesteven33
03-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Bonner is starting to develop a bad habit of dribbling around like a dumbass whenever someone closes out hard on him. Bonner needs to be more assertive and quit over thinking what he should do.

Spursfan092120
03-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Popovich apologists too? Are you retarded? 4 titles? You're fucking spoiled, dude..seriously.

itzsoweezee
03-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Popovich apologists too? Are you retarded? 4 titles? You're fucking spoiled, dude..seriously.

Bonner doesn't put himself into the game, dummy.

Spursfan092120
03-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Bonner doesn't put himself into the game, dummy.
Pop knows what he's doing, dummy...you can't expect perfection...mistakes are made..but I wouldn't change what Pop has done for anything...look in the rafters.

itzsoweezee
03-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Pop knows what he's doing, dummy...you can't expect perfection...mistakes are made..but I wouldn't change what Pop has done for anything...look in the rafters.

Unfortunately, Popovich has gone far away from what made the Spurs teams successful in the past. This Popovich does not resemble in any way the guy that coached the Spurs to four championships.

The "spread-the-floor" gimmick is stupid and the league has already figured it out. Matt Bonner is supposed to be an analog to Robert Horry? What insanity.

Spursfan092120
03-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately, Popovich has gone far away from what made the Spurs teams successful in the past. This Popovich does not resemble in any way the guy that coached the Spurs to four championships.

The "spread-the-floor" gimmick is stupid and the league has already figured it out. Matt Bonner is supposed to be an analog to Robert Horry? What insanity.
No one can do what Horry did...all I know is you're bashing Pop for his playoff decisions and we haven't hit the playoffs this year yet. He changed his philosophy on getting a strong start out of the gate...who knows what he'll do..I see what you're saying..I thought you were one of those people who just bash Pop for no reason with no thought of what he's done.

ElNono
03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Surprised his rebounding numbers are so high for the playoffs... I expected closer to the 0.5-1.0 range.

chazley
03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Sample size.

I could probably find a 28 game sample from Tim Duncan/Kobe Bryant/Lebron/Wade over their career in the REGULAR season and find really really terrible averages too.

I could probably name 10 stars in different sports who were considered huge chokers before they won a title, and Bonner ain't even close to being a star.

ElNono
03-20-2011, 05:26 PM
I could probably name 10 stars in different sports who were considered huge chokers before they won a title, and Bonner ain't even close to being a star.

Bonner has a title.

jjktkk
03-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Thats true that Pop has gone away from his defensive ways, but that due to the current roster. This roster is stronger offensively right now. Theres not alot of Bruce Bowens out there to sign, nor alot of defensive big men. Maybe Splitter can be that defensive big, paired next to Timmy, but thats not gonna happen till next year. As Pop likes to say, you need to "get over yourself" and just enjoy the Spurs run this year.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2011, 05:55 PM
I don't buy the reason being that Bonner sees less open 3s..sure, he doesn't get as many, but he still gets a decent amount of wide open 3s..he's just a mental pussy, and I say that as a fan of his..

I have a soft spot for Bonner, so I'd always like to see him get a shot, but historically speaking, Bonner is going to suck in the playoffs, so if he struggles in the first 2 or so games in the 1st round, he needs to be out of the rotation..he's received more chances for redemption than any other Spurs role player that I can remember, including Bowen..

Muser
03-20-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't buy the reason being that Bonner sees less open 3s..sure, he doesn't get as many, but he still gets a decent amount of wide open 3s..he's just a mental pussy, and I say that as a fan of his..

I have a soft spot for Bonner, so I'd always like to see him get a shot, but historically speaking, Bonner is going to suck in the playoffs, so if he struggles in the first 2 or so games in the 1st round, he needs to be out of the rotation..he's received more chances for redemption than any other Spurs role player that I can remember, including Bowen..

Exactly, this is the last playoffs i'm gonna have any hope of him actually shooting well..Sadly if he doesn't we've got another few years of this.

ChumpDumper
03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Bonner thread!

Thompson
03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
If I remember correctly, he actually showed some improvement in last year's playoffs over the year before. Maybe continued exposure to the higher intensity will desensitize him.

rmt
03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Thats true that Pop has gone away from his defensive ways, but that due to the current roster. This roster is stronger offensively right now. Theres not alot of Bruce Bowens out there to sign, nor alot of defensive big men. Maybe Splitter can be that defensive big, paired next to Timmy, but thats not gonna happen till next year. As Pop likes to say, you need to "get over yourself" and just enjoy the Spurs run this year.

And who created the current roster? Who traded away Scola and re-signed Bonner to a 4 year contract? I don't care whose feelings were hurt - everyone needed to put that aside and do what's best for the team. I still don't understand how Scola couldn't work with Manu, TD and TP. Spurs would've been contending for championships w/Scola.

Who didn't integrate Splitter this year? There have been lots of back-to-backs and games against bad teams when he could have rested Dice/TD. I'd prefer to enjoy the regular season less and have Splitter integrated for the playoffs.

greyforest
03-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Like I've always said...

Regular season Bon Bon is a great asset to the team.

Playoff Bon Bon has, until now, been useless.

I really hope he sacks up this year!!!

TD 21
03-20-2011, 10:47 PM

There is no "figuring it out". Way to expose the fact that you're a novice fan. It's a pick your poison type scenario. Very few teams (maybe only the Lakers) are capable of guarding against Parker's/Ginobili's penetration and being able to close to the Spurs three-point shooters.

If Bonner doesn't play, then Blair-Splitter would be the backup big duo. This is problematic because neither has any range whatsoever, so teams can give more help to stop penetration.

As Harlem alluded to, Bonner deserves another chance, with the caveat that he get's the hook by no later than game four if he's shooting blanks in the first three two-three games. The sample size in the playoffs isn't significant enough to determine unequivocally that he can't shoot well in the playoffs.

The guy is the best spot up three-point shooter in the league. There is value in that, especially at his position, which is why every contender prioritizes having a stretch-four. It can be particularly valuable against a team like the Lakers (to pull some of their length away from the basket and open up more space for Parker/Ginobili).

I like his chances this time around, because he appears to be more confident this season.

yavozerb
03-20-2011, 10:51 PM

:lmao, 56-13....

Sean Cagney
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Bonner has a title.

He was on the bench most of the time that last run, which is where he belongs then!

itzsoweezee
03-20-2011, 10:56 PM
It can be particularly valuable against a team like the Lakers (to pull some of their length away from the basket and open up more space for Parker/Ginobili).

Are you really this stupid? Really? Bonner is going to pull a Laker big man away from the basket? :lmao

The thing with players like Bonner is, anyone can guard him. You could run Nate Robinson at him on the three point line and he'll try to put it on the floor. You actually think Andrew Bynum or Gasol is going to be guarding him on the three point line? You're a fucking idiot.

Cessation
03-20-2011, 11:07 PM
are you really this stupid? Really? Bonner is going to pull a laker big man away from the basket? :lmao

the thing with players like bonner is, anyone can guard him. You could run nate robinson at him on the three point line and he'll try to put it on the floor. You actually think andrew bynum or gasol is going to be guarding him on the three point line? You're a fucking idiot.

+1

ElNono
03-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Not only that, smart coaches like Phil Jackson will dare you to beat his team with Bonner taking the majority of the shots instead of allowing Tony and Manu to cruise through the paint. How many games of a 7 game series you think Bonner is going to win for you? He's not even a double digit scorer as it is...

ChumpDumper
03-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Apparently, Bonner will lose every game for you.

TD 21
03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Are you really this stupid? Really? Bonner is going to pull a Laker big man away from the basket? :lmao

The thing with players like Bonner is, anyone can guard him. You could run Nate Robinson at him on the three point line and he'll try to put it on the floor. You actually think Andrew Bynum or Gasol is going to be guarding him on the three point line? You're a fucking idiot.

Let me explain to you how this works, retard. The guy is basically a 50% three-point shooter. 40% is excellent. 50% is insane. They have no choice but to respect his shot and if they don't, then he'll throw in 2-3 and make them respect his shot. Once they do that, it opens the middle up more for Parker and Ginobili.

Like I said, if he folds under the pressure of the playoffs again and can't do that, then bench him. But to not give him another chance because of a limited sample size is foolish.

You're a fucking idiot and you don't know shit about the game.

ElNono
If you say so...

NRHector
Bonner is out there to hit the 3's but most of the times he chokes and I think Novak might have a better playoffs games than Bonner

NRHector
03-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Let me explain to you how this works, retard. The guy is basically a 50% three-point shooter. 40% is excellent. 50% is insane. They have no choice but to respect his shot and if they don't, then he'll throw in 2-3 and make them respect his shot. Once they do that, it opens the middle up more for Parker and Ginobili.

Like I said, if he folds under the pressure of the playoffs again and can't do that, then pull him. But to not give him another chance because of a limited sample size is foolish.

You're a fucking idiot and you don't know shit about the game.how many more playoffs game does he needs?

ElNono
03-20-2011, 11:19 PM
He might be a 50% 'insane' 3 point shooter, but he barely makes 3 shots a game, as his scoring averages indicate... It's anybody's guess if that percentage would translate if he took three or four times as many shots.

itzsoweezee
03-20-2011, 11:19 PM
They have no choice but to respect his shot and if they don't, then he'll throw in 2-3 and make them respect his shot.

hahahahahahahahahahaha
:lmao

This fool actually thinks Bynum or Gasol's going to be guarding Bonner on the three point line because he's going to make them respect his shot.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

ElNono
03-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Easy scores for Ginobili/Parker/Duncan or Bonner... Really? Is this our pick your poison?

TD 21
03-20-2011, 11:22 PM
hahahahahahahahahahaha
:lmao

This fool actually thinks Bynum or Gasol's going to be guarding Bonner on the three point line because he's going to make them respect his shot.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

It's incredible how stupid you are. Maybe the least knowledgeable poster on the entire board.

ElNono, that's what pick-and-roll defense is, when it comes to stopping a team with the options this team possesses and the challenges those options present. They can't cover the role man, stop the penetration and account for the three-point shooters simultaneously. They have to give up something. That's why it's called read-and-react. You read how the defense is playing you and make the proper decision.

NRHector
03-20-2011, 11:26 PM
even when he tries to make a layup or a hook shot he still chokes :bang

Sean Cagney
03-20-2011, 11:37 PM
even when he tries to make a layup or a hook shot he still chokes :bang

HE SUCKS PERIOD! I don't get it here, why resign him so long and why is he still here after the last few playoffs? He is utter shit. I am not a fan at all.

Last year I rejoiced and said yes Bogans and him gone! BUT NOOOOOOOOOO ONLY ONE WAS OUT! POP had to get his red head baby back for another few runs :( IDIOT.

NRHector
03-20-2011, 11:41 PM
HE SUCKS PERIOD! I don't get it here, why resign him so long and why is he still here after the last few playoffs? He is utter shit. I am not a fan at all.

Last year I rejoiced and said yes Bogans and him gone! BUT NOOOOOOOOOO ONLY ONE WAS OUT! POP had to get his red head baby back for another few runs :( IDIOT.the only explanation that I have is a reverse affirmative action, need a specific quota of white players in the team

ElNono
03-20-2011, 11:41 PM
ElNono, that's what pick-and-roll defense is, when it comes to stopping a team with the options this team possesses and the challenges those options present. They can't cover the role man, stop the penetration and account for the three-point shooters simultaneously. They have to give up something. That's why it's called read-and-react. You read how the defense is playing you and make the proper decision.

oh, I know exactly what you mean. My problem is that time and again good teams will not respect him, and for plenty of reasons. Besides the one that has been repeated forever of him turning into a mediocre shooter under pressure, he's a great mismatch to exploit on the other end, he's an abysmally poor rebounder for his size, he refuses to take contested shots even over much smaller opponents, he's turnover prone when he puts the ball on the floor, he's a very low volume shooter... If you're an opposing coach, and you have a moderately good defensive discipline to dictate what the matchups should be, there's a lot to like about picking Bonner to be your poison, and not just because the other option is TD/Manu/TP going off.

Leonard Curse
03-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Not only that, smart coaches like Phil Jackson will dare you to beat his team with Bonner taking the majority of the shots instead of allowing Tony and Manu to cruise through the paint. How many games of a 7 game series you think Bonner is going to win for you? He's not even a double digit scorer as it is...

this hopefully embarrasses pop so much that he plays chess and puts tiago in off the bench. i think any other coach pop will feel hes smarter naturally and hey they just played awesome against us , its not bonners fault

Leonard Curse
03-20-2011, 11:56 PM

Like I said, if he folds under the pressure of the playoffs again and can't do that, then bench him. But to not give him another chance because of a limited sample size is foolish.

are you sure about those % in the playoffs?

Cessation
03-20-2011, 11:58 PM
I think op is using common sense, not sure about some of the other posters.

Splits
03-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Is it possible for the best 3pt shooter in the game to get this much hate from his team's own "fans"? Quite incredible this board is. The team is 55-13 and one of their key role players is in a slump and the entire board takes a shit on him. I hope he shits back on all of you assholes

TD 21
03-21-2011, 12:05 AM
oh, I know exactly what you mean. My problem is that time and again good teams will not respect him, and for plenty of reasons. Besides the one that has been repeated forever of him turning into a mediocre shooter under pressure, he's a great mismatch to exploit on the other end, he's an abysmally poor rebounder for his size, he refuses to take contested shots even over much smaller opponents, he's turnover prone when he puts the ball on the floor, he's a very low volume shooter... If you're an opposing coach, and you have a moderately good defensive discipline to dictate what the matchups should be, there's a lot to like about picking Bonner to be your poison, and not just because the other option is TD/Manu/TP going off.

Splitter should be the third big. I'd give Bonner the first chance to be the fourth big because he's theoretically a better fit next to Splitter, he's a more sound defender than Blair, he's more experienced and he's less likely to do something foolish.

If good teams don't respect him (and by respect, I mean his shot; not his overall game) and he makes them pay, they'll have no choice but to respect him or risk him throwing in myriad threes. It isn't as if Blair isn't a great mismatch to exploit on the other end as well.

I'm not saying go with Bonner at all costs. If he struggles, then go to Blair by game 3-4. Realistically, it's going to take all five bigs to win a championship. But this is all moot anyway, because we know Bonner is going to be the third big, Blair the fourth and the only chance that Splitter will have to play other than when the result is decided (barring injury), is if/when the Spurs play the Lakers.

Leonard Curse
03-21-2011, 12:06 AM
another thing is if timmy was o5' timmy shoot even 07' tim then yeah bonner would work and get the hell out of timmys way but with a team like L.A theyll put lamar odom on bonner who is a million times more athletic and can work him harder on the opposite end.

thats why defense first always wins because instead of trying to score you stop the offense and usually offense will flow. did you see what tiago did to odom in the olympics????(look it up) he made him look like a bad bench player.

bonner also gives up all the points he made from 3. 90% of the scoring goes right through him because he ends up switching and not helping the defense. he sucks and im sorry but i wish his bones would crumble already. we need defense we have enough damn offense

NRHector
03-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Is it possible for the best 3pt shooter in the game to get this much hate from his team's own "fans"? Quite incredible this board is. The team is 55-13 and one of their key role players is in a slump and the entire board takes a shit on him. I hope he shits back on all of you assholesit seems he's in a slump every season specially in the playoffs

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Splitman4evah

Is it possible for the best 3pt shooter in the game to get this much hate from his team's own "fans"? Quite incredible this board is. The team is 55-13 and one of their key role players is in a slump and the entire board takes a shit on him. I hope he shits back on all of you assholes

^^^^^^^^
Don't worry he has started this already in late March to May etc.! He will not do good, he never does. LOL at people after all these years still at it, get real dude is not HORRY, he just does not have it when it counts, prove me wrong? YOU CAN NOT! If he does I will smile and hats off, but until then he is BONNER!

Splits
03-21-2011, 12:11 AM
it seems he's in a slump every season specially in the playoffs

Yeah, he's in a slump every season when he is leading the lead in 3pt accuracy this year. I can't wait till he shits on you in the playoffs.

On the other hand, Splitter is a tried and true commodity that is only shackled because Pop gives Bonner anal. Got it.

Splits
03-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Don't worry he has started this already in late March to May etc.! He will not do good, he never does. LOL at people after all these years still at it, get real dude is not HORRY, he just does not have it when it counts, prove me wrong? YOU CAN NOT! If he does I will smile and hats off, but until then he is BONNER!

I am in disbelief that the front office still allows Pop to coach his team when we have such brilliant prognosticators and fortune tellers on SpursTalk

Leonard Curse
03-21-2011, 12:14 AM
and it took along time for spurs fans to be this disgusted with bonner, even this year everyone tried to be optimistic, however while we do have a great record we can have a better record and bonner has nothing to do with our record.!!

did you notice our win streak even flinch when he got hurt??? and thats b/c he was on fire at the time. like i said his offense means nothing since hes giving up just as many points. and were freaking out because if we lose this year its on bonner ...know why???
because hes no longer playing 5-10 minutes hes playing 20+ minutes as our defensive center .its a joke . i bet you manu/tim/tony agree with all of us put yourself in their shoes

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I am in disbelief that the front office still allows Pop to coach his team when we have such brilliant prognosticators and fortune tellers on SpursTalk

Get real man, he has not proven it in three years in the playoffs and you shit on us? We are just seeing reality bro. LOL at shit on heads in the playoffs, since when has he done that :lol:lol Infact his slump has started right on que lately it seems! RIGHT ON IT! He has not proven us wrong, so why even start this here? What other team would play him so many mins? Just the Spurs it seems, get real that dude has no nuts at all, he is hot early but not Horry late, it's a reality and has been, argue that there.
and it took along time for spurs fans to be this disgusted with bonner, even this year everyone tried to be optimistic, however while we do have a great record we can have a better record and bonner has nothing to do with our record.!!

did you notice our win streak even flinch when he got hurt??? and thats b/c he was on fire at the time. like i said his offense means nothing since hes giving up just as many points. and were freaking out because if we lose this year its on bonner ...know why???
because hes no longer playing 5-10 minutes hes playing 20+ minutes as our defensive center .its a joke . i bet you manu/tim/tony agree with all of us put yourself in their shoes

His fans are clowns man, but he leads the league in FG%, but he fades late and gives up what ? ALOT to other players etc. He can't board either, yet idiots will argue this every year, I swear they have to be his family or him on here? Yeah shoots a high % most of the year, but fades late and in the playoffs his numbers don't lie, he is shyt. I swear these idiots make me sick.

Harlem Preach
03-21-2011, 12:16 AM
this piece of shit doesnt even deserve to be in the league.

Splits
03-21-2011, 12:16 AM

I guess TD21 is the only sane person participating in this thread. Like the rest of the world, this forum is dominated by stupid people

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:19 AM
I guess TD21 is the only sane person participating in this thread. Like the rest of the world, this forum is dominated by stupid people

UR AN IDIOT, period........ Thats all. LOL read above, this is a joke and you guys are beyond fucking stupid if you think he will help us in the playoffs, when has he? You guys are in fantasy world, prove me wrong ? Show me stats in the playoffs bro? SHOW ME LATE YEAR STATS? I DARE EITHER ONE OF YOU TO DO THAT? YOU CAN NOT. PERIOD. He is a piece of shit.

Splits
03-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Get real man, he has not proven it in three years in the playoffs and you shit on us? We are just seeing reality bro. LOL at shit on heads in the playoffs, since when has he done that :lol:lol Infact his slump has started right on que lately it seems! RIGHT ON IT! He has not proven us wrong, so why even start this here? What other team would play him so many mins? Just the Spurs it seems, get real that dude has no nuts at all, he is hot early but not Horry late, it's a reality and has been, argue that there.

He is the best 3pt shooter in the league. Dispute that. People grow. Players grow. Teams grow. Bonner is the 8th man in a 9 man playoff rotation. He can win us a game here or there, but his play will not determine a series. Everyone has to step up and play well, including the Red Rocket. Don't hurt yourself while you shove your Splitter dildo in your ass tonight.

DesignatedT
03-21-2011, 12:21 AM
He is the best 3pt shooter in the league. Dispute that. People grow. Players grow. Teams grow. Bonner is the 8th man in a 9 man playoff rotation. He can win us a game here or there, but his play will not determine a series. Everyone has to step up and play well, including the Red Rocket. Don't hurt yourself while you shove your Splitter dildo in your ass tonight.

:lol

NRHector
03-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Yeah, he's in a slump every season when he is leading the lead in 3pt accuracy this year. I can't wait till he shits on you in the playoffs.

On the other hand, Splitter is a tried and true commodity that is only shackled because Pop gives Bonner anal. Got it.I'll be happy if he shits on me but I doubt it so I'll be depressed until he actually does something in the playoffs

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:23 AM

OH WOW! FUCKING FERRY Was high in 01 too, what did he do when it counted? HAHAHAH NOTHING! He lead the league or near it that year too. He will not grow, he has not dick, he is soft as burger buns, show me a key playoff game he had and then I will talk to you again on this here? I know you can't! What is his stats lately as well may I ask? Tell me? It is late in the year so he chokes! He is shyt, he does not hit and is a black hole on D, he will do that again, prove me wrong? What playoff game you gonna point to? IS HE HORRY? LOL NO. I am done playing with clowns you like tonight, go fucking talk to your brother BONNER! It seems he is your family. He is shit

Splits
03-21-2011, 12:24 AM
UR AN IDIOT, period........ Thats all. LOL read above, this is a joke and you guys are beyond fucking stupid if you think he will help us in the playoffs, when has he? You guys are in fantasy world, prove me wrong ? Show me stats in the playoffs bro? SHOW ME LATE YEAR STATS? I DARE EITHER ONE OF YOU TO DO THAT? YOU CAN NOT. PERIOD. He is a piece of shit.

Since when is past playoff performance the sole and only indicator of future success? Are you declaring that LeBron will never win a chip because he has never won a chip? Knuckle-dragging neanderthal Manichean absolutists, such as yourself, are always wrong.

Cessation
03-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Bonner homers provide some of the best comedy on st, lol.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:25 AM
I'll be happy if he shits on me but I doubt it so I'll be depressed until he actually does something in the playoffs

He won't but dont' worry, next year you will hear the same shit after he fades in the playoffs again! He will do it again yes, but idiots next year will give him a pass for his HIGH % from three early on.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Since when is past playoff performance the sole and only indicator of future success? Are you declaring that LeBron will never win a chip because he has never won a chip? Knuckle-dragging neanderthal Manichean absolutists, such as yourself, are always wrong.

Playoffs is where a man shows up, some show up all year but he is one when it is on the line he fades and turns pussy, prove me wrong or shut the fuck up now.. SHUT ME UP NOW THERE? YOU CAN NOT.......

I have a better shot at winning a million than this clown actually showing up int he playoffs when it counts, he has no heart.

ALVAREZ6
03-21-2011, 12:29 AM
With the way Bonner is shooting and given his confidence level this season, let's pray he doesn't venture onto ST.com from now until and during the playoffs.... NOT ONCE!!

TD 21
03-21-2011, 12:31 AM

If you don't agree, fine. If you want to take me to task, fine. But get what I said right. I never said there was anything statistically to suggest he'd turn it around in the playoffs. I just said the sample size isn't expansive enough to suggest unequivocally that he can't get it done in the playoffs and that, considering the alternative, he deserves another chance.

Inserting Splitter into the rotation is a no brainer (even though, barring injury, it isn't going to happen unless the Spurs play the Lakers and even then, it's not guaranteed). The real question is Bonner or Blair. I've already laid out my argument for why Bonner should get the first crack and I've repeatedly said, he should be on a short leash.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:32 AM
If you don't agree, fine. If you want to take me to task, fine. But get what I said right. I never said there was anything statistically to suggest he'd turn it around in the playoffs. I just said the sample size isn't expansive and that he deserves another chance.

Inserting Splitter into the rotation is a no brainer (even though, barring injury, it isn't going to happen unless the Spurs play the Lakers and even then, it's not guaranteed). The real question is Bonner or Blair. I've already laid out my argument for why Bonner should get the first crack and I've repeatedly said, he should be on a short leash.

I agree here with you! You are cool, that other dude though...... NO. YOu made a decent argument there, I agree with you but not him.

I do not like Bonner at all, thats just me and until he proves me wrong late I am rightfully so there.

Splits
03-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Playoffs is where a man shows up, some show up all year but he is one when it is on the line he fades and turns pussy, prove me wrong or shut the fuck up now.. SHUT ME UP NOW THERE? YOU CAN NOT.......

I have a better shot at winning a million than this clown actually showing up int he playoffs when it counts, he has no heart.

Yes, no heart.

After signing with Sicilia Messina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallacanestro_Messina) of the Italian league (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_A_%28basketball%29) based in Messina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messina,_Italy), Sicily (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicily), 2003 proved to be a harrowing year for Bonner. Bonner survived a 104.5 degree Fahrenheit fever brought on by a bout of salmonella (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonella) (treated by the team dentist) most likely caused by a lack of running hot water in his apartment. Sicilia had filed for bankruptcy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankruptcy) in the middle of the season and had stopped paying its players. Bonner's heat and electricity were shut off and he was given two eviction notices. Despite half the team leaving, Bonner stuck it out and finished the year averaging 19.2 points and 9.3 rebounds.

Did you also look into Vladimir Putin's soul and determine him to be good like your BFF Bush? Who granted you with heart-granting capabilities? All you are is a Splitter-asshole licker who has no idea what he is talking about. Which will be even clearer when Bonner shits on you and wins us a series.... as the 8th man on a 9 man rotation....

ALVAREZ6
03-21-2011, 12:34 AM
There is no "figuring it out". Way to expose the fact that you're a novice fan. It's a pick your poison type scenario. Very few teams (maybe only the Lakers) are capable of guarding against Parker's/Ginobili's penetration and being able to close to the Spurs three-point shooters.

If Bonner doesn't play, then Blair-Splitter would be the backup big duo. This is problematic because neither has any range whatsoever, so teams can give more help to stop penetration.

As Harlem alluded to, Bonner deserves another chance, with the caveat that he get's the hook by no later than game four if he's shooting blanks in the first three two-three games. The sample size in the playoffs isn't significant enough to determine unequivocally that he can't shoot well in the playoffs.

The guy is the best spot up three-point shooter in the league. There is value in that, especially at his position, which is why every contender prioritizes having a stretch-four. It can be particularly valuable against a team like the Lakers (to pull some of their length away from the basket and open up more space for Parker/Ginobili).

I like his chances this time around, because he appears to be more confident this season.

This sort of summarizes how I feel at the moment...as fans, we have to accept the status quo, nothing can be done now, Pop isn't changing his ways and Bonner isn't leaving any time soon. With the way he's shooting and with a much deeper bench in emerging Neal, Hill, and Anderson, more legitimate scoring threats off the bench and a confident and successful Bonner so far this season, he deserves...actually, hell, whether or not you agree that he deserves another chance, the fact is he's getting one, and this time around the variables are more so in his favor for the above reasons and also because it's yet another year with the team. More experience.

But if he completely shits the bed this year in the playoffs, I never want to see him in a Spurs uniform again.

NRHector
03-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Last night he missed 4 shots in a row and 2 where from the same spot and right there the Bobcats were making a come back thank God Pop brought back the starters and were able to get some points

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:37 AM
This sort of summarizes how I feel at the moment...as fans, we have to accept the status quo, nothing can be done now, Pop isn't changing his ways and Bonner isn't leaving any time soon. With the way he's shooting and with a much deeper bench in emerging Neal, Hill, and Anderson, more legitimate scoring threats off the bench and a confident and successful Bonner so far this season, he deserves...actually, hell, whether or not you agree that he deserves another chance, the fact is he's getting one, and this time around the variables are more so in his favor for the above reasons and also because it's yet another year with the team. More experience.

But if he completely shits the bed this year in the playoffs, I never want to see him in a Spurs uniform again.Yep, I give him one more year here to do it, if not I don't want to see his face again, FAIR BONNER FANS?

ALVAREZ6
03-21-2011, 12:38 AM

But if he completely shits the bed this year in the playoffs, I never want to see him in a Spurs uniform again.

With the way Bonner is shooting and given his confidence level this season, let's pray he doesn't venture onto ST.com from now until and during the playoffs.... NOT ONCE!!

Given these posts...that his confidence is high, he's getting another chance regardless of what anyone thinks, and it's the last realistic chance for the Spurs to win a title for a long time....let's please bury these types of threads, because everything I know about Matt Bonner makes me believe he'd be the type of guy to immediately shoot 15% after reading a thread like this.

The Spurs need him to keep it up if they want to win it all. :flag:

Splits
03-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Bonner haters provide some of the best comedy on st, lol.

fify

NRHector
03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Given these posts...that his confidence is high, he's getting another chance regardless of what anyone thinks, and it's the last realistic chance for the Spurs to win a title for a long time....let's please bury these types of threads, because everything I know about Matt Bonner makes me believe he'd be the type of guy to immediately shoot 15% after reading a thread like this.

The Spurs need him to keep it up if they want to win it all. :flag::lol

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
fify

Are we wrong though in his late season efforts and playoffs from the past? I mean he can turn it around but will he? RIGHT NOW are we right about him late in the year? Just asking you to post something to prove us wrong.

I want him to be dared to shoot like AJ in 99 from midrange, I want him to hit 50% from the three to keep those honesty and say F U for doubting me, will he? Has he up till now? NO, no denying that.

Splits
03-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Are we wrong though in his late season efforts and playoffs from the past? I mean he can turn it around but will he? RIGHT NOW are we right about him late in the year? Just asking you to post something to prove us wrong.

I want him to be dared to shoot like AJ in 99 from midrange, I want him to hit 50% from the three to keep those honesty and say F U for doubting me, will he? Has he up till now? NO, no denying that.

By your argument, any player who set foot in a playoff game and didn't dominate is doomed to future failure. There is no denying Bonner has been lackluster in his playoff career. There is also no denying that playoff career is limited to a couple of games and a weak sample size. But you can't just discount the best long range shooter in the league as a complete and total playoff choke job based on that short history. The dude deserves another chance. Players grow and flourish in the Spurs system after they have a few years to get acclimated. And I expect Bonner to keep snapping the net at 50% in the playoffs, and hardnosed (yet underrated and underappreciated) defense.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 01:06 AM
By your argument, any player who set foot in a playoff game and didn't dominate is doomed to future failure. There is no denying Bonner has been lackluster in his playoff career. There is also no denying that playoff career is limited to a couple of games and a weak sample size. But you can't just discount the best long range shooter in the league as a complete and total playoff choke job based on that short history. The dude deserves another chance. Players grow and flourish in the Spurs system after they have a few years to get acclimated. And I expect Bonner to keep snapping the net at 50% in the playoffs, and hardnosed (yet underrated and underappreciated) defense.

Ughhhhhh Defense has not been this thing here for him, but if he can hit at 50% in the playoffs I will be the first to shake his hand! I hope he can. I am saying some play good all year, but in crunch time they wilt and fold, Horry was not one of them for us or wherever he is playing, thats all I am saying. If he does good them cool, but the last two runs or so Bonner has been horrible and just bricked his open shots in the playoffs.

I hope you are right, I will watch with you and root for this team. BTW I am saying here and now if rely on him heavily for our run we are fucked, he should be a 18mpg guy and notta else, lets hope he delivers there but he is nto key to our run Manu, Tim, Tony, Hill, Neal and so on are for that, he is just a role player we hope does well so lets not make him a focal point by any means.

Cessation
03-21-2011, 01:06 AM
lol "snapping the net at 50% in the playoffs"
lol "bonner defence"

The Truth #6
03-21-2011, 01:28 AM
I just watched the Dallas and Charlotte game on tivo. Bonner rebounded well but passed up shots he should have taken versus Dallas. When the pressure was off he looked better versus Charlotte. This should be surprising to no one.

He's already shrinking out there when it matters. He's there to take and make shots. Hopefully Pop has him on a short leash. I'd rather go with Blair. Without enough evidence to support anything, I already trust Novak more than Bonner to take an important shot.

objective
03-21-2011, 01:29 AM
There is zero evidence that Bonner could

A. Make 3 pointers at a good clip in the playoffs

or

B. Make 3 pointers so much that it opens the floor because guys have to stay with him

Bonner has been pure garbage in the playoffs. And not just defensively or rebounding, he's been an abject failure at the one thing he's put on the court to do.

Phil Jackson won't have to respect his shot, he's seen Spurs teams miss shots before, and Bonner in the playoffs does it better than anyone. In the meantime, teams will go right at him on the defensive end.

Bonner made Channing Frye a double-Bonner contract. That's how terrible Bonner has performed. Hell, two years ago he was SO terrible that just about the only shots he made in that series against Dallas was after Tony Parker single-handedly willed the Spurs to a double digit lead in their only win.

Why anyone would expect any differently based on past performance is a mystery, other than just plain hope.

Unlike Horry, whom the masses on this board compared Bonner to back in the summer of 07, Bonner can't do anything else to help the Spurs win when his shot isn't falling (which is every postseason). He's not going to play that savvy defense. He isn't going to come up with 5 blocks in a Finals game like Horry, or a game saving chase down block and clutch 3s like against Denver for Horry. He won't deliver the cheap shots and annoyance to get into other players. He won't pull down clutch boards. He won't deliver a driving dunk with an foul like Horry against Detroit.

He won't do anything . . . except get minutes.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Splitter should be the third big. I'd give Bonner the first chance to be the fourth big because he's theoretically a better fit next to Splitter, he's a more sound defender than Blair, he's more experienced and he's less likely to do something foolish.

If good teams don't respect him (and by respect, I mean his shot; not his overall game) and he makes them pay, they'll have no choice but to respect him or risk him throwing in myriad threes. It isn't as if Blair isn't a great mismatch to exploit on the other end as well.

I'm not saying go with Bonner at all costs. If he struggles, then go to Blair by game 3-4. Realistically, it's going to take all five bigs to win a championship. But this is all moot anyway, because we know Bonner is going to be the third big, Blair the fourth and the only chance that Splitter will have to play other than when the result is decided (barring injury), is if/when the Spurs play the Lakers.

We had somewhat this conversation before the seson started, if you remember. You said Splitter was going to be ready, and I said Bonner was going to be the 2nd/3rd big (We also talked about RJ and I was wrong on that). So it's a lot of deja vu here... In all honesty, betting on Bonner to beat you looks like an incredibly good offer right now, IMO. Hopefully that perception changes on the playoffs.

TE
03-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Sometimes the stats lie.

In Bonner's case, anyone who has watched the Spurs in the playoffs the last 3 years will know that Bonner is the greatest liability of the team.

Just an absolutely horrible overall player.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 01:34 AM
There is zero evidence that Bonner could

A. Make 3 pointers at a good clip in the playoffs

or

B. Make 3 pointers so much that it opens the floor because guys have to stay with him

Bonner has been pure garbage in the playoffs. And not just defensively or rebounding, he's been an abject failure at the one thing he's put on the court to do.

Phil Jackson won't have to respect his shot, he's seen Spurs teams miss shots before, and Bonner in the playoffs does it better than anyone. In the meantime, teams will go right at him on the defensive end.

Bonner made Channing Frye a double-Bonner contract. That's how terrible Bonner has performed. Hell, two years ago he was SO terrible that just about the only shots he made in that series against Dallas was after Tony Parker single-handedly willed the Spurs to a double digit lead in their only win.

Why anyone would expect any differently based on past performance is a mystery, other than just plain hope.

Unlike Horry, whom the masses on this board compared Bonner to back in the summer of 07, Bonner can't do anything else to help the Spurs win when his shot isn't falling (which is every postseason). He's not going to play that savvy defense. He isn't going to come up with 5 blocks in a Finals game like Horry, or a game saving chase down block and clutch 3s like against Denver for Horry. He won't deliver the cheap shots and annoyance to get into other players. He won't pull down clutch boards. He won't deliver a driving dunk with an foul like Horry against Detroit.

He won't do anything . . . except get minutes.

RIGHT! BONNER IS TRASH and we all know it inside, except for his family and friends, which I swear are in here posting now........ He is not good, period.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Sometimes the stats lie.

In Bonner's case, anyone who has watched the Spurs in the playoffs the last 3 years will know that Bonner is the greatest liability of the team.

Just an absolutely horrible overall player.

He is garbage, I can't believe some still stick up for him or believe in him at all! THEY must be high as hell or drunk on a Sunday night to believe he will do any different! HE IS PUSSY.

Cane
03-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Imo Bonner's made significant improvements in his game the past two seasons but unfortunately broke his hand last season which doesn't help a shooter and also had that knee injury earlier this season FWIW. Bonner helps space the floor for the team and seems to have only improved his touch and overall confidence the longer he's been on the Spurs. When the 3 is covered, he's become somewhat confident in putting the ball to the floor and making a funky post move or jump hook which he never seemed to do a few seasons ago IIRC.

Gary Neal seems to have developed some game alongside Bonner, they seem to feed eachother good looks. Time will tell if these guys will be real gamers but I like that they've been confident shooting the ball including Steve Novak and RJ. The Spurs system needs floor spacing and good shooting which past roleplayers like Udoka, Mason Jr., Bogans, RJ last season, etc. failed to provide.

However he's still a roleplayer. The Spurs have enough forwards where they can adjust but they're all undersized against the defending champions length, talent and overall size.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Imo Bonner's made significant improvements in his game the past two seasons but unfortunately broke his hand last season which doesn't help a shooter and also had that knee injury earlier this season FWIW. Bonner helps space the floor for the team and seems to have only improved his touch and overall confidence the longer he's been on the Spurs. When the 3 is covered, he's become somewhat confident in putting the ball to the floor and making a funky post move or jump hook which he never seemed to do a few seasons ago IIRC.

Gary Neal seems to have developed some game alongside Bonner, they seem to feed eachother good looks. Time will tell if these guys will be real gamers but I like that they've been confident shooting the ball including Steve Novak and RJ. The Spurs system needs floor spacing and good shooting which past roleplayers like Udoka, Mason Jr., Bogans, RJ last season, etc. failed to provide.

However he's still a roleplayer. The Spurs have enough forwards where they can adjust but they're all undersized against the defending champions length, talent and overall size.If they are up against us they get ate like grapefruit! PERIOD! NO MATTER WHO IT IS!!!!!!!!!

tuncaboylu
03-21-2011, 03:18 AM
People are overreacting on Bonner. We all know that he's a player with limited talent. Below-average rebounding, below-average defense, below-average dribble, very good three pointer in regular season. That's what Bonner is. If he won2t choke this year's play-offs, we will use him 15 minutes per game to score 2 or 3 three pointers and create space for our penetrating guards and Duncan. That's it.

Horry had the similar role in spurs, Below-average rabounding, average defense, average dribble, very-good three pointer in clutch time. If Bonner can score his threes in play-off and clutch time; he would help. If he can't, Novak is his insurance policy.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Bonner is an excellent defender, rebounder and ball-handler for a role-playing three point shooter, and his basketball IQ is very high. The question becomes one of strategery. In short, the coach needs to understand what he is, but more importantly, what he is not and set matchups accordingly. Derrick Rose is the likely league MVP this year but only an idiot would make him their first power forward / center off the bench.

ohmwrecker
03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
I noticed something the other day: Matt Bonner's 3pt% in last year's playoffs was just slightly under his regular season % (even with the hand injury).
If he shoots slightly under 50% in this year's playoffs, you can't complain . . .
Everybody knows that Bonner is slow and a bad defender/rebounder at his position. I'm pretty sure Pop knows it too. He is, obviously, going to be part of the rotation, so the philosophy is his importance as a stretch 4 is more valuable to Pop than his liabilities as a post player.
You don't have to like it, but it is what it is and Pop is not changing his mind (Novak's signing makes it obvious that Pop values that specific skill set).

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Didn't Bonner have a hot streak in garbage time to bring up his percentage for the playoffs? I could have sworn someone pointed that out, but I'm too lazy to look it up. :)

ohmwrecker
03-21-2011, 10:17 AM
It's possible . . . but I would be more concerned about the mere existence of "garbage time" in the playoffs. If the Spurs are giving guys garbage minutes, they are probably getting blown out.

IIRC, Bonner shot under 40% from 3 last season . . . regular and playoffs.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Didn't Bonner have a hot streak in garbage time to bring up his percentage for the playoffs? I could have sworn someone pointed that out, but I'm too lazy to look it up. :)

He was garbage in the Mavs series, and started 0-4 in the first 2 games against the Suns (0-1 in the first game, 0-3 in the 2nd game). He shot well in the last two games (3-4 in the 3rd game in 20 mins of action, 2-3 in the 4th game in 30(!) minutes on the floor). He was used way too much on those games though, for the amount of shots he took, IMO. I won't touch rebounding in those games since it's both embarrassing and we're not really addressing that here. :lol

peacemaker885
03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
So much ado with Matty. All I know is that we are a better team with him than without.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
And by garbage I mean 5-16 shooting... which is 31% and his average percentage in the playoffs (so far).

Phenomanul
03-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I'll also place this here....

In the 2007 and 2008 post seasons Bonner didn't play much... 34 total minutes (4/10 from the field)...

In the 2009 Playoffs the Spurs lost to Dallas (4-1) but weren't really going anywhere that year with Mason running back up PG duties, and because a guy by the name of Ginobili was sitting behind the bench in street clothes...

Sure, Matt Bonner sucked in that series averaging 19.9 MPG and a dismal 21% from the field... but may I remind everyone here that all the Spurs not named Duncan or Parker sucked in that 1st round series against the Mavs namely because our second unit was being manhandled... 'cause again, Mason was at the helm, and becuase the Mavs could easily focus on our lone playmaker in Parker... and because IIRC Pop mysteriously decided not to give Hill enough burn... the dynamic when having both Parker and Ginobili on the floor compared to when one of them is missing or not fully healthy is VAST (look at the Spurs' winning percentage when both of them play). Hence, anyone who takes that sample slice to represent Matt in the playoffs is being purposely disingenous with their criticism...

In the 2010 Playoffs the Spurs avenged their 2009 Playoff loss to Dallas by beating them 4-2, and then were swept by Phoenix.... Matt was so-so against Dallas (shooting 34%) and played so-so defense against Dirk. That said, he shot "lights out" against the Suns (shooting 55.6% from the field and 45% from 3pt range). He showed up... and had little to do with Nash going bonkers in Game 1 (mostly against Hill), or with Dragic going crazy in San Antonio... If anything his defense against Frye was subpar... but other than that, Matt played his role well...

This year is when the verdict on Matt will be issued... as long as the big three are healthy, and Jefferson holds his own Matt should play well enough for the team to succeed... he will no longer be singled out as the lone marksman on the team (reason for playoff slump against Dallas in 2009)... Jefferson's newfound efficiency from beyond the arc, Neal (let me repeat that...) Neal's fearlessness (and his welcomed playmaking ability), along with Ginobili's clutchness (despite his current shooting slump) should provide Matt with ample space to knock down his shots... if only Hill would snap out of his 3pt shooting funk... On the other end, Matt's defense will never be anywhere near elite... but he usually plays with the right intensity and with his head in the game... besides, given the current trend it seems McDyess' usage rate will increase during the playoffs which should help the Spurs' efficiency at defending the lane... That being the case, Matt's grade will be based on whether or not he can deliver from beyond the arc... If last year's playoff Bonner shows up, and given the VAST improvements around him there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to contribute.

In no more than ~ 16 MPG :lol

Mugen
03-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Bonner's not the problem, it's the guy overplaying him and not using him like the situational scrub he is....

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:39 AM
In the 2010 Playoffs the Spurs avenged their 2009 Playoff loss to Dallas by beating them 4-2, and then were swept by Phoenix.... Matt was so-so against Dallas (shooting 34%) and played so-so defense against Dirk. That said, he shot "lights out" against the Suns (shooting 55.6% from the field and 45% from 3pt range). He showed up... and had little to do with Nash going bonkers in Game 1 (mostly against Hill), or with Dragic going crazy in San Antonio... If anything his defense against Frye was subpar... but other than that, Matt played his role well...

Pheno, don't take this personally, but...

He shot 5-16 from 3 point land against Dallas (31%):
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/matchup/_/teams/spurs-mavericks

He was MIA going 0-4 from downtown in the Suns series in 2 out of the 4 games... that's what you call showing up and shooting "lights out"?

When he finally shoots well, he only takes 3 or 4 shots a game at a rate of 1 shot every 8 or so minutes...

Some people need to go back and look at the games again...

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I mostly agree that testing the waters for a few minutes per game and see what's his pulse is not a problem... but usages of 20, even 30 minutes I think are unwarranted unless he's shooting lights out AND in some sort of volume...

HarlemHeat37
03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't think anybody would agree that Bonner should play 30 minutes..

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't think anybody would agree that Bonner should play 30 minutes..

Well, Pop thought so last year in an elimination game... I hope he revisits that decision just how we revisited Hill's benching a season before that...

That game should be obligatory watching before these playoffs start. Just seeing guys like Dudley abusing him and outhustling him and RJ should be locker room material.

Phenomanul
03-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Pheno, don't take this personally, but...

He shot 5-16 from 3 point land against Dallas (31%):
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/matchup/_/teams/spurs-mavericks

He was MIA going 0-4 from downtown in the Suns series in 2 out of the 4 games... that's what you call showing up and shooting "lights out"?

When he finally shoots well, he only takes 3 or 4 shots a game at a rate of 1 shot every 8 or so minutes...

Some people need to go back and look at the games again...

From the field... 9/26 = 34%

I guess what I'm trying to focus on is that with the improvements around him, and with Bonner being the team's 8th best player (at best); he should be able to contribute (as long as POP doesn't overplay him).

People often use Matt's 2009 playoff performance as the all-out defining-card of Matt's playoff capability... but like I said, that series should standout more as the fluke than as the standard... that Spurs' team flat out sucked once Ginobili was out of the picture... We had ZERO chances that year under that circumstance... and last I checked, Matt's points come off of other's playmaking...

Like I said, this year as long as the big three stay healthy, Matt will have the ultimate opportunity to prove as much (and silence if he can his many naysayers)... for the Spurs' sake (let's hope he delivers)...

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm not worried about Bonner's offense in the playoffs AT ALL. Not even a little bit. There are several guys who can shoot threes. What worries me is Bonner's minutes, and that he will likely get a lot of them regardless of his field goal percentage.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Bonner is an excellent defender, rebounder and ball-handler for a role-playing three point shooter,.

:lol:lol:rollin:lmao :lol
I'm not worried about Bonner's offense in the playoffs AT ALL. Not even a little bit. There are several guys who can shoot threes. What worries me is Bonner's minutes, and that he will likely get a lot of them regardless of his field goal percentage.

This is true.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 01:44 PM
bonner's not the problem, it's the guy overplaying him and not using him like the situational scrub he is....

truth.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
:lol:lol:rollin:lmao :lol

Refute or GTFO. Where's his deficiency, aside from the fact that his coach assumes that he's a PF/C due to his height?

TD 21
03-21-2011, 07:20 PM
We had somewhat this conversation before the seson started, if you remember. You said Splitter was going to be ready, and I said Bonner was going to be the 2nd/3rd big (We also talked about RJ and I was wrong on that). So it's a lot of deja vu here... In all honesty, betting on Bonner to beat you looks like an incredibly good offer right now, IMO. Hopefully that perception changes on the playoffs.

"Going to be ready", meaning what? Splitter is ready to contribute right now. I never said he'd play more than Bonner, though. Once it became apparent Blair was going to be starting (he let it slip in an interview last summer), I knew Splitter would be the odd man out. I did think he'd play more, because I thought Duncan and McDyess would get a few more games off.

I'm not guaranteeing that Bonner will come through, I'm just saying he deserves one final opportunity, with the caveat that he's on a short leash.

I expect the big man rotation in the playoffs to be as follows: roughly a 28/20 split for McDyess/Bonner at PF and roughly a 36/12 split for Duncan/Blair at C.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 07:33 PM
"Going to be ready", meaning what? Splitter is ready to contribute right now. I never said he'd play more than Bonner, though. Once it became apparent Blair was going to be starting (he let it slip in an interview last summer), I knew Splitter would be the odd man out. I did think he'd play more, because I thought Duncan and McDyess would get a few more games off.

I'm not guaranteeing that Bonner will come through, I'm just saying he deserves one final opportunity, with the caveat that he's on a short leash.

I expect the big man rotation in the playoffs to be as follows: roughly a 28/20 split for McDyess/Bonner at PF and roughly a 36/12 split for Duncan/Blair at C.

Probably. I'll just disagree that Splitter is ready to contribute right now outside of being an extra body to toss out there to pick up fouls against some matchups. I think he could have been ready if he had a more consistent run throughout the season.

With Blair's demotion, the lineups are basically matching what I suggested back then. Duncan/Dice, Bonner the first 'big' off the bench, Blair behind him... Tiago warming up the bench unless somebody is in foul trouble.

NRHector
03-21-2011, 08:06 PM
is it 1-4 ?

NRHector
03-21-2011, 08:10 PM
now is 1-5 and counting

Mal
03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
1-7, still plenty of time to go

benefactor
03-21-2011, 08:12 PM
lol brickfest.

NRHector
03-21-2011, 08:18 PM
did you see that Bonner?

howbouthemspurs
03-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Bonner is out there to shoot! and that is it!

NRHector
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Bonner is out there to shoot! and that is it!hell if he's going to get paid millions just to shoot and don't make it, anybody can do that

ElNono
03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
At the half:

Splitter:
14:29
FG 4-4, 8 points
6 rebounds
-1 plus/minus

Bonner:
12:48
FG 1-7, 3 points
3 rebounds
+6 plus/minus

:lol

Cessation
03-21-2011, 08:44 PM
lol bonner 1-7 !!!

jjktkk
03-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Bonner's been slumping big time lately, but its nice to know Pop has another option in Novak.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Bonner's been slumping bittime, but its nice to know Pop can turn to Novak.

Agree... maybe Novak is finally putting some pressure on him...

benefactor
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Bonner needs the pressure. He played well when he had Tolliver breathing down his neck, IIRC.

SequSpur
03-21-2011, 08:56 PM
chazley is smart.

Big P
03-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Biggest mistake giving bonner a 4 year $14 mil deal...he's signed thru 2013/14??? WTF?.....we could have Novak for a mil a year and he would make more 3's.

Spurs7794
03-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Bonner gets bashed because he doesn't hit big shots. He then plays well in first game against LA, game against Boston, game against Orlando, hits game winner against Minnesota, hits a bunch of big threes in the 4th quarters this season, destroys the Heat in the first game...and he is bashed because "he only shoots well when hes wide open". Now he is in a slump and he is bashed because he keeps shooting and misses.

I have my doubts about him in the playoffs but the Bonner haters are beyond ridiculous. :lol

Cessation
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
lol 2-9 against the lowly warriors, can't wait to see what he does against the good teams

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
lol 2-9 against the lowly warriors, can't wait to see what he does against the good teams

Um, he got a big offensive rebound and hit a big three to help put away the game. If you're going to bag on him, give him credit for producing when he was needed the most.

DPG21920
03-21-2011, 09:50 PM
If he would have hit his wide open attempts earlier instead of getting torched by Lee, Spurs wouldn't "need" that one 3 ball.

Cessation
03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Bonner gets bashed because he doesn't hit big shots. He then plays well in first game against LA, game against Boston, game against Orlando, hits game winner against Minnesota, hits a bunch of big threes in the 4th quarters this season, destroys the Heat in the first game...and he is bashed because "he only shoots well when hes wide open". Now he is in a slump and he is bashed because he keeps shooting and misses.

I have my doubts about him in the playoffs but the Bonner haters are beyond ridiculous. :lol

Spurs were up by double digits, when boonner started hitting threes, against la and miami. True, he hit couple of threes against minnesota and orlando, gj, summing up all the positives bonner has done all season long, lol. He's missing because he know playoffs are coming, just warming up, son. 2-9 today, against the shit warriors, this type of teams used to be his bread and butter, now im real concerned :lol

Cessation
03-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Um, he got a big offensive rebound and hit a big three to help put away the game. If you're going to bag on him, give him credit for producing when he was needed the most.

Put away the game? Spurs were up by 10 with couple of minutes to go, against the, no d, 30-41 warriors, the game was never in question from tip off. Yet he still managed to shoot 2-9, can't wait to see what he does when there is a little bit of pressure.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Bonner's been slumping big time lately, but its nice to know Pop has another option in Novak.

No it's a given, Bonner just started sucking in March this year instead of April to May. I am glad he is too, maybe more Splitter and Novak who will actually do something IMO later on. Bonner just does not have it, some fans will find that out again soon.
Put away the game? Spurs were up by 10 with couple of minutes to go, against the, no d, 30-41 warriors, the game was never in question from tip off. Yet he still managed to shoot 2-9, can't wait to see what he does when there is a little bit of pressure.

Yep, he will hit one bum bucket against a bad team and they will say it was the winnter or put it away, thats how his fans to Cessation :lol:lol He is horrible and we all know it, but like a retarded kid he gets treated special for some reason like he accomplished something small to most but big for him and gets patted on the back. He will freeze up like the Mavs game, Heat game and Lakers again when we face a good team, book it.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 10:05 PM
If he would have hit his wide open attempts earlier instead of getting torched by Lee, Spurs wouldn't "need" that one 3 ball.

If the Spurs never missed a shot, they'd never lose a game. So the fuck what? Give him credit when he makes plays at the end of the game, or your opinion isn't worth shit.

DPG21920
03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
:lol At acting like it was some big play. Because an entire team not making a shot is the same as one guy shooting his team into a hole with wide open misses while up 20.

DPG21920
03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Also, hitting one three doesn't make up for the shit defense all game either. So. Yeah.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Yep, he will hit one bum bucket against a bad team and they will say it was the winnter or put it away, thats how his fans to Cessation :lol:lol He is horrible and we all know it, but like a retarded kid he gets treated special for some reason like he accomplished something small to most but big for him and gets patted on the back. He will freeze up like the Mavs game, Heat game and Lakers again when we face a good team, book it.

Obviously you've never met me. Hi, my name is O_V...

If you can find any time I've unfairly waved the Bonner flag or been a homer for him, you'll have to dig really fucking deep. He made some good plays at the end of a game despite shooting terribly. A lot of people were saying he was going to crumble and cave in when he was shooting badly. He didn't.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 10:08 PM
If the Spurs never missed a shot, they'd never lose a game. So the fuck what? Give him credit when he makes plays at the end of the game, or your opinion isn't worth shit.

He got a shot yes tonight when they were up well, that was big I guess to him lol. He shot bad though again, which is a concern. THANK GOD Novak and Splitter played well, they are key to our run IMO when this pussy hides under a rock again and starts to miss most of his shots in the playoffs (Started early this year too it seems.) I am not a fan at all of this dude, if he does well I will be happy as hell, but until he proves us wrong I am gonna shit on him when some mention him and his play.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM

If you can find any time I've unfairly waved the Bonner flag or been a homer for him, you'll have to dig really fucking deep. He made some good plays at the end of a game despite shooting terribly. A lot of people were saying he was going to crumble and cave in when he was shooting badly. He didn't.

If is the Warriors and they were up how much? Thats not a good team there. He will make one if he misses 6 in a row or so, hell I or you could do that out there bro! I am not really just aiming at you here but some fans who treat him like a retarded kid when he makes a shot and praise him when he hits one outta 7 lol. I am not sold on him and rightfully so! Infact he has to prove he can do it, the ball is in his court now because if he falters again these playoffs he should be gone.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
:lol At acting like it was some big play. Because an entire team not making a shot is the same as one guy shooting his team into a hole with wide open misses while up 20.

Fine, you aren't man enough to give him any credit. I now know not to bother paying attention to you when you bag on someone if you won't be swayed by what they actually do on the floor.

if what he did is so meaningless because the competition was so bad, then what the fuck do you care that he shot poorly against a team they beat by 15 points anyway?:lol

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 10:12 PM
If is the Warriors and they were up how much? Thats not a good team there. He will make one if he misses 6 in a row or so, hell I or you could do that out there bro! I am not really just aiming at you here but some fans who treat him like a retarded kid when he makes a shot and praise him when he hits one outta 7 lol. I am not sold on him and rightfully so! Infact he has to prove he can do it, the ball is in his court now because if he falters again these playoffs he should be gone.

So on one hand you discount anything good he does because it's against a shitty team, and on the other hand you use this as a harbinger of the playoffs because he didn't step up against a shitty team. You guys make no fucking sense.

Spurs7794
03-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Spurs were up by double digits, when boonner started hitting threes, against la and miami. True, he hit couple of threes against minnesota and orlando, gj, summing up all the positives bonner has done all season long, lol. He's missing because he know playoffs are coming, just warming up, son. 2-9 today, against the shit warriors, this type of teams used to be his bread and butter, now im real concerned :lol

Spurs were not up double digits against LA or Miami when he came in. He hit a couple threes to get us up double digits against Miami and he had 8 first half points against LAL in a game that LA led at halftime. Orlando, he had 2 threes in the 4th, he had that recent game against Memphis when he hit 4 threes in the second half when our team went ice cold, he and Neal brought us back in the 4th to win it against the Nuggets in December, he hit a big shot against OKC a few weeks ago, he hit 7/7 threes in OKC ( a tough place to play) including when we were down around 10.

Seriously, I completely understand everyone's doubts about him and the playoffs. But he gets needless shit from everyone who just love piling on him. He's played great this season.

Obstructed_View
Bonner's job is to keep shooting. He did that. You should be happy. If you have a problem with him being out there getting sliced up by the other team, take it up with Pop. If you're worried about how he's going to perform in the playoffs, join the fucking club, but don't act like a game against Golden State means anything if you're going to discount his ability to come back from a bad shooting night and hit the most important of his relatively unimportant threes as well as making a (again, relatively) big offensive rebound.

DPG21920
Fine, you aren't man enough to give him any credit. I now know not to bother paying attention to you when you bag on someone if you won't be swayed by what they actually do on the floor.

if what he did is so meaningless because the competition was so bad, then what the fuck do you care that he shot poorly against a team they beat by 15 points anyway?:lol

Because the Spurs were up 20 before he started bricking and getting torched by Lee.

:lol What do you want? Bonner to get props for hitting a single shot? Is that shot that big of a deal and why is it so much more important than any shot right after it? I don't see you giving props to others...

That would be like me saying you can't bag on anyone unless they put up 0's across the board because even when they suck ass the majority of the game, everyone did at least one good thing :lmao

I bet you are one of the "every kid gets a ribbon" guys. :lol

Mugen
03-21-2011, 10:16 PM
So on one hand you discount anything good he does because it's against a shitty team, and on the other hand you use this as a harbinger of the playoffs because he didn't step up against a shitty team. You guys make no fucking sense.

i'll be the first to commend Bonner if he does a decent job defending/rebounding.

I dont think i need to give him huge props for hitting an open 3 when he missed the previous 4 and when its the only thing hes out there to do....just sayin....

DPG21920
03-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Hi, your name is O_V and obviously he crumbles under pressure more often than not, so you must not watch. That is how he got his rep. So one made shot when the game was not in question means he deserves props.

You are an easy guy to please :lol

Spurs7794
03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Bonner haters have hilarious reactions:
Bonner hits a shot against weak competition: He sucks against great teams, LOL AT BONNER LOVERS WHO THINK THIS MEANS ANYTHING!! LOLZ!
Bonner hits shot against good competition: Its not playoff time, he only hits wide open shots. LOLZ at BONNER nuthuggers.
Bonner misses against good competition: See? Bonner is choking! Can't handle pressure.
Bonner misses against weak competition: HAHAHAHA look at him! He must think this is a tough team. LOLZ
Bonner misses shot after struggling all game: Brickfest! Bonner thinkis its already the playoffs! Can't hit shots at all! Play anyone else!
Bonner hits shot after struggling all game: LOL!!! THAT wasn't even a big shot! Meaningless! Doesn't excuse him for playing bad defense!!!!

Its actually pretty hilarious.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Props to Novak for consistently shooting throughout the game... hopefully having some competition gets Matty more focused (can't play harder than he does)

Cessation
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Bonner hits a shot against weak competition: He sucks against great teams, LOL AT BONNER LOVERS WHO THINK THIS MEANS ANYTHING!! LOLZ!
Bonner hits shot against good competition: Its not playoff time, he only hits wide open shots. LOLZ at BONNER nuthuggers.
Bonner misses against good competition: See? Bonner is choking! Can't handle pressure.
Bonner misses against weak competition: HAHAHAHA look at him! He must think this is a tough team. LOLZ
Bonner misses shot after struggling all game: Brickfest! Bonner thinkis its already the playoffs! Can't hit shots at all! Play anyone else!
Bonner hits shot after struggling all game: LOL!!! THAT wasn't even a big shot! Meaningless! Doesn't excuse him for playing bad defense!!!!

lol what are you babbling about son?

DPG21920
03-21-2011, 10:22 PM
No one has said, that for Bonner, he hasn't played great this season. We just know it means nothing because not only do his negatives outweigh his positives with regards to winning basketball, that goes two-times for playoff basketball and around here that is what matters.

I am certainly not going to celebrate a made basket that really wasn't meaningful when he played like shit.

thOOdee
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM

lol bonner supporters are hilarious. with all the minutes this fool plays, even a blind squirel is bound to find a nut.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:24 PM

It isn't hilarious at all seeing TD waste his last few seasons with this choker around. I don't find it funny at all.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
i'll be the first to commend Bonner if he does a decent job defending/rebounding.

I dont think i need to give him huge props for hitting an open 3 when he missed the previous 4 and when its the only thing hes out there to do....just sayin....

"Huge props" <> credit

Fan A: "Look at Bonner missing shots. He sucks."

Fan B: "Well they're playing the Warriors"

Fan A: "Yeah but it's a sign that he's mentally weak and non-clutch"

Fan B: "Bonner just got an offensive rebound and made a three at the end of the game."

Fan A: "Yeah but they're playing the Warriors."

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 10:25 PM
It isn't hilarious at all seeing TD waste his last few seasons with this choker around. I don't find it funny at all.

Take it up with the guy who made him a starting center.

Hoops Czar
03-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Don't blame thew choker... Blame the Popper. He's the one who signed Bonner to a new contract.

Spurs7794
03-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Well done, you've listed the good games bonner has had this year, should I list the 40+ shit games he has during the season as well? lol

Sure, try to list 40 shit games of his. lol

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't buy the "It's all on Pop"... I think there's some on Pop, but there's also some on Matty.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
"Huge props" <> credit

Fan A: "Look at Bonner missing shots. He sucks."

Fan B: "Well they're playing the Warriors"

Fan A: "Yeah but it's a sign that he's mentally weak and non-clutch"

Fan B: "Bonner just got an offensive rebound and made a three at the end of the game."

Fan A: "Yeah but they're playing the Warriors."

Come on O_V... Weren't you bitching that people nitpick on Tiago little mistakes instead of looking at the full body of work? Ain't you doing the same by demanding credit for a single play as opposed to his entire production?
Pick a lane, bro

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't buy the "It's all on Pop"... I think there's some on Pop, but there's also some on Matty.

Bonner made himself starter for a season and signed himself to a big contract? Great. Can you ask Matty to give Splitter some more of his minutes, please?

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Bonner made himself starter for a season and signed himself to a big contract? Great. Can you ask Matty to give Splitter some more of his minutes, please?

No, but did Pop force Matty not to work on his box out and rebounding for 3 seasons straight? Is it Pop fault that he misses defensive rotations after being around forever? Players normally improve season over season. That's entirely on him.

rmt
03-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Looks like even Pop's calling out Bonner on his terrible play recently in the post game interview. He's just starting his playoff choke early.

Novak's release is much quicker than Bonner's but that's no excuse for Bonner passing up wide open shots in the last few games. Maybe it's because of the players flying out at him and the slow release that makes him so useless in the playoffs. If that's the case, better to play Novak. Spurs get high 3pt%, height at the 3 and can play a defensive big (rotation of TD, Dice and Splitter). Only use Blair for small 4s and Bonner against 3pt shooting bigs.

TD's sprain might be a blessing in disguise if it gets Splitter comfortable (as Manu says) with his team mates.

Hope Manu and TP don't get worn out though.

Cessation
03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Since bonner homers like to cherry pick his best plays. Here's some bonner fails this season.

today 2-9 pts
Mar 19 vs. CHA W 109 - 98 25 4 - 10 2 - 7 10 pts
Mar 18 @ DAL W 97 - 91 19 0 - 4 0 - 1 0 pts
Mar 14 @ MIA L 80 - 110 8 0 - 2 0 - 1 0
Mar 12 @ HOU W 115 - 107 16 2 - 4 0 - 1 4
Mar 11 vs. SAC W 108 - 103 26 1 - 4 0 - 1 3
Mar 06 vs. LAL L 83 - 99 20 1 - 5 1 - 3 3
Mar 01 @ MEM L 93 - 109 10 1 - 3 1 - 3 3
Feb 17 @ CHI L 99 - 109 26 0 - 3 0 - 1 3
Feb 14 @ NJN W 102 - 85 22 1 - 5 1 - 3 3
Feb 11 @ PHI L 71 - 77 18 1 - 1 1 - 1 3
Feb 09 @ TOR W 111 - 100 16 1 - 4 1 - 4 3
Jan 07 @ IND W 90 - 87 18 1 - 3 1 - 2 3
Jan 04 @ NYK L 115 - 128 13 1 - 1 0 - 0 2
Dec 30 @ DAL W 99 - 93 26 1 - 6 0 - 4 2
Dec 20 vs. PHX W 118 - 110 27 2 - 4 6
Dec 18 vs. MEM W 112 - 106 29 2 - 6 2 - 5 6
Dec 12 vs. POR W 95 - 78 19 1 - 1 1 - 1 3
Dec 03 vs. MIN W 107 - 101 16 1 - 4 1 - 4 3
Dec 01 @ LAC L 85 - 90 30 0 - 6 0 - 6 2 <----30 minutes 0-6 from 3, 2 pts,my fav
Nov 28 @ NOH W 109 - 95 8 1 - 3 0 - 2 2
Nov 26 vs. DAL L 94 - 103 23 1 - 6 1 - 4 3
Nov 24 @ MIN W 113 - 109 26 2 - 8 2 - 6 6
Nov 19 @ UTA W 94 - 82 17 0 - 6 0 - 3 0
Nov 13 vs. PHI W 116 - 93 15 1 - 5 1 - 3 6
Oct 27 vs. IND W 122 - 109 14 1 - 3 0 - 0 2

itzsoweezee
03-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Bonner is officially redundant.

Novak shoots just as good as Bonner, is more athletic, is just as capable a rebounder, and his defense can't be any worse than Bonner's. Time to plan Bonner's ass on the bench, permanently.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 10:52 PM
We're rolling with Bonner, not Novak. It will be what it will be...

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Bonner is officially redundant.

Novak shoots just as good as Bonner, is more athletic, is just as capable a rebounder, and his defense can't be any worse than Bonner's. Time to plan Bonner's ass on the bench, permanently.

I WISH! That would be nice. Last time the Spurs did that they won the title! He did not play alot in 07, after that ehhhhhh.

Hoops Czar
03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
No, but did Pop force Matty not to work on his box out and rebounding for 3 seasons straight? Is it Pop fault that he misses defensive rotations after being around forever? Players normally improve season over season. That's entirely on him.

He peaked a long time ago.

Cessation
03-21-2011, 11:28 PM
On post game video. Pop calling bonner out, saying parker and manu played more than he would like, the bench needs to step up. When asked how his bigs did with blair and duncan out, he said Dice, Novak and Splitter stepped up and played great. lol the bonner omission was rather obvious.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
On post game video. Pop calling bonner out, saying parker and manu played more than he would like, the bench needs to step up. When asked how his bigs did with blair and duncan out, he said Dice, Novak and Splitter stepped up and played great. lol the bonner omission was rather obvious.

Bonner is horrible..........

Cessation
03-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Bonner is horrible..........

+1

quality post, tbh

Manudona
03-21-2011, 11:42 PM
+1

quality post, tbh

It is no surprise how low you set the bar judging from your own posts

Cessation
03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
It is no surprise how low you set the bar judging from your own posts

I know bonner homers like yourself, don't like hearing the truth, but it seems even pop is calling ginger out, for his terrible play. None of the unbiased posters are surprised, playoffs are just around the corner, after all.

duncan228
03-22-2011, 12:01 AM
“I was wondering if I was ever going to make another three,” Bonner said, “but I’m not going to stop shooting them. If I stop shooting them when I’m open, I know I’m coming out of the game.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/21/splitter-plays-big-minutes-again/

TD 21
03-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I know bonner homers like yourself, don't like hearing the truth, but it seems even pop is calling ginger out, for his terrible play. None of the unbiased posters are surprised, playoffs are just around the corner, after all.

I like the fact that Pop called the bench out though and let Bonner in particular know that wilting under pressure in the playoffs won't be tolerated this season. Unlike the past two seasons, when there weren't other options, this time there are. One is a surefire rotation caliber player and the other is a Bonner clone.

That being said, Bonner was overdue for a shooting slump. He's been remarkably consistent in an area that lends itself to bouts of inconsistency. It was bound to happen sometime, better now than a month from now. You shouldn't let the fact that you dislike him get in the way of that reality.

I'll say this: It's a long shot, but if Bonner continues to struggle, fizzles out in the playoffs and Novak continues to shoot well and eventually takes Bonner's spot in the rotation at some point in the playoffs. I could see the Spurs shopping Bonner, who's three years older and much more expensive than Novak will be and retaining Novak. Again, long shot, I don't expect this to happen, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

Cessation
03-22-2011, 12:11 AM
See that's gingers problem, he's "wondering", just fucking shoot it.

Sean Cagney
03-22-2011, 12:19 AM
He can shoot it all the hell he wants to! If he is not making he is usless out there BECAUSE regardless of what others say in here he is not underrated on D SPITE HIS HUSTLE and he is not a decent rebounder either! His game is spreading the floor and thats is IT! If he is not hitting he is horrible out there and a black hole.

Cessation
03-22-2011, 12:27 AM
I like the fact that Pop called the bench out though and let Bonner in particular know that wilting under pressure in the playoffs won't be tolerated this season. Unlike the past two seasons, when there weren't other options, this time there are. One is a surefire rotation caliber player and the other is a Bonner clone.

That being said, Bonner was overdue for a shooting slump. He's been remarkably consistent in an area that lends itself to bouts of inconsistency. It was bound to happen sometime, better now than a month from now. You shouldn't let the fact that you dislike him get in the way of that reality.

I'll say this: It's a long shot, but if Bonner continues to struggle, fizzles out in the playoffs and Novak continues to shoot well and eventually takes Bonner's spot in the rotation at some point in the playoffs. I could see the Spurs shopping Bonner, who's three years older and much more expensive than Novak will be and retaining Novak. Again, long shot, I don't expect this to happen, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

Actually, he hasn't been consistent, he had multiple slumps this year, check the game logs. Why do people think I'm hating, when I'm only pointing out facts. Also, who could possibly want him at 4 mil a year?

TD 21
03-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Actually, he hasn't been consistent, he had multiple slumps this year, check the game logs. Why do people think I'm hating, when I'm only pointing out facts. Also, who could possibly want him at 4 mil a year?

He's been consistent. Having the odd off shooting game or two doesn't quality as inconsistent. You don't shoot at or above 50% from three for the majority of the season if you're not remarkably consistent. You're letting your dislike for him cloud your judgment.

Teams wanted him last summer. Stretch four's are in demand, particularly for good - elite teams. Say what you want about the rest of his game, but purely as a three-point shooter, he's the best stretch four in the business (obviously Nowitzki is a far better player overall and there are others who are better as well). Even with changes coming to the CBA, I can't see him being difficult to move, if the Spurs so choose.

Sean Cagney
03-22-2011, 12:40 AM

Because he shoots good all year long and dissapears later! They will point out his PCT from threes but do not say shyt about the playoffs when he turns into a piece of shyt, when he really sucks. They will do this every year I swear, I mean they call you hating but in reality you see concern like I do and it's reality.

Cessation
03-22-2011, 01:06 AM
He's been consistent. Having the odd off shooting game or two doesn't quality as inconsistent. You don't shoot at or above 50% from three for the majority of the season if you're not remarkably consistent. You're letting your dislike for him cloud your judgment.

Teams wanted him last summer. Stretch four's are in demand, particularly for good - elite teams. Say what you want about the rest of his game, but purely as a three-point shooter, he's the best stretch four in the business (obviously Nowitzki is a far better player overall and there are others who are better as well). Even with changes coming to the CBA, I can't see him being difficult to move, if the Spurs so choose.

Ah, it doesn't appear you know what the word consistency means. Let me explain, for example you can go 6/6 one game and go 0/6 the next, and still have 50% shooting. Thats inconsistent. Going for 3/6 in both games is much more preferable. Thats consistency.

Hes been rather non existent last 8 games, not his first slump this year, btw. If he was consistent as you say surelly he'd have some good games during that stretch, since you claim thats what he brings to the table the vast majority of the time, with "a bad game here and there".

Bonner, is a one trick pony. but he can't even do that when it matter most, lol 32% from 3, in playoffs for his career. I'm sure gms of elite teams are breaking down Bufords door to get at him, lol.

TD 21
03-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Ah, it doesn't appear you know what the word consistency means. Let me explain, for example you can go 6/6 one game and go 0/6 the next, and still have 50% shooting. Thats inconsistent. Going for 3/6 in both games is much more preferable. Thats consistency.

Hes been rather non existent last 8 games, not his first slump this year, btw. If he was consistent as you say surelly he'd have some good games during that stretch, since you claim thats what he brings to the table the vast majority of the time, with "a bad game here and there".

Bonner, is a one trick pony. but he can't even do that when it matter most, lol 32% from 3, in playoffs for his career. I'm sure gms of elite teams are breaking down Bufords door to get at him, lol.

So let me get this straight. The guy who's leading the league by 3% (it was 5% for a long time) and is shooting one of the best percentages ever, hasn't been consistent from three? I'm talking about before this slump, which was inevitable. He was remarkably consistent. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been shooting over 50% from three, genius.

Everyone knows he's a one trick pony. Who said anything about "breaking down Buford's door to get at him"? I said "I can't see him being difficult to move". Two different things. The Mavs and Nuggets were both rumored to be interested last summer.

Splits
03-22-2011, 01:27 AM

Yes. It was. Pop is pissed at him, I wouldn't be surprised to see Novak as the 8th man. I think a small part of this was directed at Neal as well.

Cessation
03-22-2011, 01:38 AM
So let me get this straight. The guy who's leading the league by 3% (it was 5% for a long time) and is shooting one of the best percentages ever, hasn't been consistent from three? I'm talking about before this slump, which was inevitable. He was remarkably consistent. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been shooting over 50% from three, genius.

Everyone knows he's a one trick pony. Who said anything about "breaking down Buford's door to get at him"? I said "I can't see him being difficult to move". Two different things. The Mavs and Nuggets were both rumored to be interested last summer.

lol at your inability to comrehend the meaning of the word "consistency"
lol rumours

Cessation
03-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Yes. It was. Pop is pissed at him, I wouldn't be surprised to see Novak as the 8th man. I think a small part of this was directed at Neal as well.

I agree, now that pop might have a bonner replacement, he could be playing tricks with ginger, to get him to sack up. Booner has always had his stretch four role secure on the team, but with Novak he's got some competition, definetly worth a try, pop is a master when it comes to mind games. It might be neal, but it could also be hill, who along with bonner has been shooting poorly and passing up open shots recently.

Splits
03-22-2011, 01:59 AM
I agree, now that pop might have a bonner replacement, he could be playing tricks with ginger, to get him to sack up. Booner has always had his stretch four role secure on the team, but with Novak he's got some competition, definetly worth a try, pop is a master when it comes to mind games. It might be neal, but it could also be hill, who along with bonner has been shooting poorly and passing up open shots recently.

It's difficult to watch Novak out there, looking so comfortable, ripping almost all his shots, and not want to see him out there for more minutes. His shit is really wet right now. He's looking for his shot and making almost everything. But for some reason, I think this is going to be the year Bonner sweeps away his playoff woes and shows why he is the top 3baller in the league. Maybe his first slump of the season will be the wake up call, cuz the Spurs aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if his shot isn't going down.

Sean Cagney
03-22-2011, 02:16 AM
It's difficult to watch Novak out there, looking so comfortable, ripping almost all his shots, and not want to see him out there for more minutes. His shit is really wet right now. He's looking for his shot and making almost everything. But for some reason, I think this is going to be the year Bonner sweeps away his playoff woes and shows why he is the top 3baller in the league. Maybe his first slump of the season will be the wake up call, cuz the Spurs aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if his shot isn't going down.

LOL if we are relying on Bonner we are fucked! PERIOD! WE rely in Timmay, Manu and Parker first, then the bench! Which means Blair first, Neal and so on, if we are relying on Bonner to hit threes we are done already, he has proven he is shyt in the playoffs like we said, why do you guys keep overrating his worth? I still wonder there. He is a role player at the 7th or so best on this team, nothing more or less, hopefully the 9th guy going into the playoffs.

Splits
03-22-2011, 02:32 AM
LOL if we are relying on Bonner we are fucked! PERIOD! WE rely in Timmay, Manu and Parker first, then the bench! Which means Blair first, Neal and so on, if we are relying on Bonner to hit threes we are done already, he has proven he is shyt in the playoffs like we said, why do you guys keep overrating his worth? I still wonder there. He is a role player at the 7th or so best on this team, nothing more or less, hopefully the 9th guy going into the playoffs.

Have you watched the games this season? It is obvious Pop is going to stick with Bonner unless Novak continues to drop bombs at an 80% rate. If Bonner doesn't show up in the playoffs the Spurs will not win the chip and all the hate directed at him (by yourself and the other eleventybillion ST haters) will be justified. What's not to like about that situation for Bonner haters? Either you eat crow while hanging a fifth banner or you get to piss on Bonner's grave. Isn't that the perfect situation for you people?

Sean Cagney
03-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Have you watched the games this season? It is obvious Pop is going to stick with Bonner unless Novak continues to drop bombs at an 80% rate. If Bonner doesn't show up in the playoffs the Spurs will not win the chip and all the hate directed at him (by yourself and the other eleventybillion ST haters) will be justified. What's not to like about that situation for Bonner haters? Either you eat crow while hanging a fifth banner or you get to piss on Bonner's grave. Isn't that the perfect situation for you people?

I would rather eat crow and reap the 5th banner rewards bro! But if he sucks I want him gone here, period! Thats all. If he does not show up again this year he is pure shyt in the playoffs, and thats what he is! A 50% shooter early in the year to fade out late, thats what he is then.

Hoops Czar
03-22-2011, 02:42 AM

If Bonner doesn't show up, the Spurs won't win the championship? I hope you don't talk like this outside of Spurstalk. Thats like saying the Lakers won't win if Walton doesn't deliver in the clutch.

Splits
03-22-2011, 02:44 AM
I would rather eat crow and reap the 5th banner rewards bro! But if he sucks I want him gone here, period! Thats all. If he does not show up again this year he is pure shyt in the playoffs, and thats what he is! A 50% shooter early in the year to fade out late, thats what he is then.

It's going to be difficult for the Spurs to have another chance at a championship if Bonner is "gone here" because by that time Manu and TD will be retired. So root for the ginger to be successful. This year is the last realistic chance at ring number 5.

Whether you agree or not, he is an integral part of the rotation as the 8th man, and if he can find his stroke for the months of April, May and June, we are all going to be very happy. If he can't, let the firing squad begin. Like I said, this is the perfect position for Bonner haters, either we win with him draining or we lose and you drain on him. But Pop isn't going to suddenly bench him this deep into the season.

Splits
03-22-2011, 02:47 AM
If Bonner doesn't show up, the Spurs won't win the championship? I hope you don't talk like this outside of Spurstalk. Thats like saying the Lakers won't win if Walton doesn't deliver in the clutch.

Luke Walton: 9min/game
Matt Bonner: 22min/game

Comparison fail.

itzsoweezee
03-22-2011, 02:47 AM
cuz the Spurs aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if his shot isn't going down.

Lol @ this stupid bullshit. :bang Do people actually believe that lunacy? WTF have the Spurs been reduced to that their playoff chances ride on the hands of Bonner? You people are out of your fucking minds.

Sean Cagney
03-22-2011, 02:48 AM
It's going to be difficult for the Spurs to have another chance at a championship if Bonner is "gone here" because by that time Manu and TD will be retired. So root for the ginger to be successful. This year is the last realistic chance at ring number 5.

Whether you agree or not, he is an integral part of the rotation as the 8th man, and if he can find his stroke for the months of April, May and June, we are all going to be very happy. If he can't, let the firing squad begin. Like I said, this is the perfect position for Bonner haters, either we win with him draining or we lose and you drain on him. But Pop isn't going to suddenly bench him this deep into the season.

You do not think if Novak continues this and Splitter in the coming games will change things? If they do well you don't think they will steal bonners mins? I feel Splitter can at the least, and IMO we need him for TITLE #5 against LA! If we are to win it ALL I think we need Splitter to do some on that level! PERIOD! Thats just my opinion but I feel it's true! Bonner is not a different maker IMO, but if he hits threes he is a luxury, period. Hill is just as important and Neal is too, why all the focus on BONNER being the difference Maker off the bench when they are too? Why is it just him now hitting threes? I don't get it.

BTW RJ could be big too if we meet them, why is it just BONNER a key to you? They all are key, not just Bonner but if they step up it is moot and the Spurs win! Why all this on Bonner?

Hoops Czar
03-22-2011, 02:52 AM

Comparison fail.

It was meant to fail. I was showing you how idiotic that sounds. Bonner averages five or six touches a game. I fail to see how the future rests in the hands of a sandwich eating gingerbread who does nothing more for his team other than standing out on the perimeter waiting for his turn to jack up a three.

Cessation
03-22-2011, 02:55 AM
Damn, I gotta say thats an awesome avatar splitman4ever, I can't help but laugh every time I look at it.

Splits
03-22-2011, 02:57 AM
It was meant to fail. I was showing you how idiotic that sounds. Bonner averages five or six touches a game. I fail to see how the future rests in the hands of a sandwich eating gingerbread who does nothing more for his team other than standing out on the perimeter waiting for his turn to jack up a three.

Yes, a sandwich eating ginger who posts a +17 with 5 boards, 4 assists, and 0 turnovers on his worst shooting night of the season.

Whether you people like it or not, he will be a key to our playoff success. If you've watched the regular season, then you know it's written in stone. Why not get on board?

Splits
03-22-2011, 02:58 AM
Damn, I gotta say thats an awesome avatar splitman4ever, I can't help but laugh every time I look at it.

Heh. Bet you can't name the Supreme Court Justice I p'shopped?

Sean Cagney
03-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Yes, a sandwich eating ginger who posts a +17 with 5 boards, 4 assists, and 0 turnovers on his worst shooting night of the season.

Whether you people like it or not, he will be a key to our playoff success. If you've watched the regular season, then you know it's written in stone. Why not get on board?

Because we have seen his last playoff successes lol, which is why we want more Splitter who can board and play some D and has some of a post game and Novak too who might not shoot 36% in the playoffs or less! Good reasons? HOP ON WE DID, last few years we hopped THE F OFF.

LOL you guys actually like Bonner in here? Are you serious? DO you really trust in this dude? Are you serious? My God I thought you would have learned by now, guess not. I have a better shot at getting that brunette in my avi then Bonner shooting near 50% in the playoffs, period.

Splits
03-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Because we have seen his last playoff successes lol, which is why we want more Splitter who can board and play some D and has some of a post game and Novak too who might not shoot 36% in the playoffs or less! Good reasons? HOP ON WE DID, last few years we hopped THE F OFF.

Well, if this is your expectation, then you are going to be sorely disappointed with the rotation come playoff time. I'm not advocating one way or the other, just telling you how the minutes will be distributed when it comes down to it. Splitter will see spot minutes for matchup purposes, Bonner will see 20 min a game, even if he's shooting 36%. The rotation is set... Pop doesn't change his ways that quickly... (unless Novak continues to drill at an 80% rate, his shit is so wet right now)

Cessation
03-22-2011, 03:08 AM
I can't name the judge, is he significant to Bean in some way?

Splits
03-22-2011, 03:12 AM
I can't name the judge, is he significant to Bean in some way?

He is a she.

Truth Gator Pittsburgh?

Something like that :toast

z0sa
03-22-2011, 03:20 AM
why past performance is not indicative of what we should expect from Bonner in the playoffs

Can you prove that future performance is not indicative of what we should expect from Bonner in the playoffs?

Obstructed_View
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Lol @ this stupid bullshit. :bang Do people actually believe that lunacy? WTF have the Spurs been reduced to that their playoff chances ride on the hands of Bonner? You people are out of your fucking minds.

:pop:

angelbelow
03-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I dont think its too much to ask for us to be optimistic this year. Even though hes receiving the 2nd most amount of playing time, his role is largely decreased and the pressure is definitely not on him as much as the previous seasons. Giving him the benefit of the doubt isnt too much to ask for.

Ofcousre, I wont be surprised if he chokes again and I dont think he will magically become a cold blooded badass.

TD 21
03-22-2011, 07:38 PM
lol at your inability to comrehend the meaning of the word "consistency"
lol rumours

1-2 games doesn't qualify as inconsistency when it comes to three-point shooting, genius. His recent slump notwithstanding, he was over 50% for a long time, leading the league by roughly 5%. Explain to me how he was shooting a historically great percentage while being inconsistent?

Just another clown that can't take his personal bias out of the equation. I'm not a Bonner fan nor a Bonner hater, but some of the hate he receives is unwarranted. If/when he does this in the playoffs, then get on him. But now? As if he was going to go the entire season without an extended shooting slump.

nevitt_&_smrek
03-22-2011, 07:46 PM
The main issue with Bonner is that during the playoffs, the competition will be tough every night. Right now, the way he's shooting (lights out) is covering for his deficiencies. He almost has to shoot 50% from downtown to do so. But if his shooting effectiveness drops in the playoffs, how much ability does he have to make up for it in other areas?

The Truth #6
03-22-2011, 09:23 PM
He's had a great regular season. In some of the big games this year, he has actually shown up. And he has made improvement almost ever year.

Granted, these improvements have been at a snail's pace. And, he's yet to play well in the playoffs. He's known for making shots when the pressure is off. That was true last year in the playoffs. He made most of his shots when games were already decided.

And beyond just making his shots, his defense is not good. He hustles and rotates in time, but in the end, so what? I'm sure there are 5'4" high school kids who could learn our plays and rotate to the right place at the right time, but if you don't get results, then who cares? Players get emboldened to score when Bonner is guarding them. And in the playoffs, a good coach will take it to Bonner everytime because he is always the weakest link when he is on the court.

Hope for the best. Sure. But anyone with a brain will prepare for the worst in regards to Bonner. Why? Because he hasn't earned shit yet. When he shows up in the playoffs then everyone will finally respect him.

kaji157
03-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Bonner doesn't spread the floor at all, teams just cover him by showing him this before any game.
http://nuestrateledeportes.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/nba-playoffs.gif

...and that's a 1 for 7 game waiting to happen.

Cessation
03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
1-2 games doesn't qualify as inconsistency when it comes to three-point shooting, genius. His recent slump notwithstanding, he was over 50% for a long time, leading the league by roughly 5%. Explain to me how he was shooting a historically great percentage while being inconsistent?

Just another clown that can't take his personal bias out of the equation. I'm not a Bonner fan nor a Bonner hater, but some of the hate he receives is unwarranted. If/when he does this in the playoffs, then get on him. But now? As if he was going to go the entire season without an extended shooting slump.

You still don't know what consistency means, you should brush up on your english comprehension, before passing of your half baked statements as fact.

If you look at his 3pt%, this season. You'll notice that he had an incosistent November and December. He had a slump of 6 games, Nov 24- Dec 3, where he shot 24% and one of 4 games, Dec 23-Dec 30 where he shot 30%. Only time he was as consistent as you claim was in Jan and Feb. In March he's shooting 35% from 3. In his last 8 games he's shooting 22%, lol. All this in addition to the 1-2 games of bad shooting here and there. With the playoffs looming, I'm sure he's just about to get hot, LOL!!

Bonner is way overrated, but these retards look at his 50% from 3 and say omg "hes so good, moar please!!" In reality, for the most part, he's either hot or cold, which is the definition of inconsistency. Hot against shit regular season teams, that play no d, is where he stat whores, and gets his percentage up. Cold, when he plays good teams, that actually try defencivelly, he's easily shut down. All they do is get back to him, and he's forced to dribble around aimlesly and pass, or drive inside and fail with his fucked up hook shot. Its no coincidence he shoots so badly in the playoffs, when it matters most, elite teams play harder on d, and are quick and athletic enough to get back to him when they help, since he refuses to take contested shots, due to the slow release and in fear it will ruin his percentage, therefore making pop bitch at him, as he's been doing recently.

Spurs7794
03-22-2011, 09:58 PM

This is exactly how I feel about it. Bonner sucked bad in 2009 playoffs, and was pretty bad last years playoffs (he had two or three solid games). I think its logical to be very concerned and perhaps expect him to suck balls in this years playoffs. I am hopeful that he plays well but I'm not really holding my breath.
But I FUCKING HATE when people outright lie about his performances this season and say he hasn't come through DURING this season. When he does, the haters scoff and put some idiotic qualifier on why he managed to somehow do well (defense didn't respect him, it was a shitty team, that shot wasn't at an important moment, etc). He's had several decent-great games against top level competition (what more do you expect from an 8th or 9th man?) and his 4th quarter three point shooting has been solid all season. He's also had some terrible games where he either passes up shots, or bricks shots, and he usually plays pretty poor defense. But there is not one role player in the league who plays good every game. Everyone has terrible games...its just Bonner gets shat on like crazy when he does.

kaji157
03-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Bonner career RS average fg% .472 3p% .417 rebounds 3.5
Bonner career PO average fg% .432 3p% .319 rebounds 2.0

He plays bad when it matters.

Enough said.

Cessation
03-22-2011, 10:06 PM
This is just his shooting we're talking about, his "strength". On defencive end he regularly makes scrubs look like allstars, whereby pop is forced to sub him or double the afore mentioned scrub.

rmt
03-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Comparison fail.

Well, Phil Jackson (wisely) plays Walton only 9 mins/game but Pop gives Bonner, what, 2nd most mins to a big, 22 min/game. Blair gives 8.5/7.1 compared to Bonner 7.3/3.4 in about the same PT. However, Blair is a 2nd year player, is still learning and will improve. Bonner already knows the system, has reached his ceiling and is a known playoff choker.

With interior defense as one of the weaknesses of this team, Bonner continues to get PT while Splitter racked up DNP-CDs. Hopefully, if/when the Spurs get to play LA, Pop will come to his senses and not play Bonner 22 mins/game. If Novak continues his shooting, play big with him at SF and TD/Dice/Splitter as the big men. I'm tired of seeing Bonner either clanging his 3s or falling backward with his arms up as every Marion/Diaw or big man abuses him in the post.

Bonner tries hard and can't change who he is. The fault is with the coach who continues to play him and didn't integrate Splitter.

TD 21
03-22-2011, 11:15 PM
You still don't know what consistency means, you should brush up on your english comprehension, before passing of your half baked statements as fact.

If you look at his 3pt%, this season. You'll notice that he had an incosistent November and December. He had a slump of 6 games, Nov 24- Dec 3, where he shot 24% and one of 4 games, Dec 23-Dec 30 where he shot 30%. Only time he was as consistent as you claim was in Jan and Feb. In March he's shooting 35% from 3. In his last 8 games he's shooting 22%, lol. All this in addition to the 1-2 games of bad shooting here and there. With the playoffs looming, I'm sure he's just about to get hot, LOL!!

Bonner is way overrated, but these retards look at his 50% from 3 and say omg "hes so good, moar please!!" In reality, for the most part, he's either hot or cold, which is the definition of inconsistency. Hot against shit regular season teams, that play no d, is where he stat whores, and gets his percentage up. Cold, when he plays good teams, that actually try defencivelly, he's easily shut down. All they do is get back to him, and he's forced to dribble around aimlesly and pass, or drive inside and fail with his fucked up hook shot. Its no coincidence he shoots so badly in the playoffs, when it matters most, elite teams play harder on d, and are quick and athletic enough to get back to him when they help, since he refuses to take contested shots, due to the slow release and in fear it will ruin his percentage, therefore making pop bitch at him, as he's been doing recently.

No, you don't know what it means when it comes to shooting. Shooting is inherently inconsistent. 50% from the field and 40% from three are considered very good. So you first have to take that into account before determining whether a player has been inconsistent or not. The reality is, the guy has shot a ridiculous percentage from three and lead the league by a wide margin for virtually the entire season. If he hasn't been consistent, then no one has. Of course he's had brief swoons, but no extended slumps until now.

I don't see how he's overrated. He's constantly criticized and even those that are fans recognize what he is. No one thinks he's some star. What he is, is a useful role player. He's worth giving one final shot to in the playoffs, so long as he's on a short leash.

Sean Cagney
03-22-2011, 11:23 PM
No, you don't know what it means when it comes to shooting. Shooting is inherently inconsistent. 50% from the field and 40% from three are considered very good. So you first have to take that into account before determining whether a player has been inconsistent or not. The reality is, the guy has shot a ridiculous percentage from three and lead the league by a wide margin for virtually the entire season. If he hasn't been consistent, then no one has. Of course he's had brief swoons, but no extended slumps until now.

I don't see how he's overrated. He's constantly criticized and even those that are fans recognize what he is. No one thinks he's some star. What he is, is a useful role player. He's worth giving one final shot to in the playoffs, so long as he's on a short leash.

I would rather Splitter grow some the next few games and earn alot of those minutes as he is a post player and can board and play some D, thats all I wish for! I know what Bonner is gonna do, get burned by his man and miss wide open threes in the playoffs, if he is off he is outta there IMO and someone else need to get those mins. He has proven to be a choker in those games, even you can't deny that bro.

chazley
03-23-2011, 12:20 AM

TD 21, I always felt I was the lone Bonner defender on Spurstalk, you and muslim Kobe, wish you'd come back me up in some of my threads lol.

Sean Cagney
03-23-2011, 01:26 AM
TD 21, I always felt I was the lone Bonner defender on Spurstalk, you and muslim Kobe, wish you'd come back me up in some of my threads lol.

He has to prove us wrong, not you guys there! You guys can talk all you want and defend BONNER, until he plays when it counts then you guys have nothing to say IMO! NOTHING! I want anyone on this team to do well, I just don't trust bonner and rightfully so.

Cessation
03-23-2011, 02:41 AM
lol bonner defenders
lol chazley still butthurt after the triple team he received in his thread

Its ok son, you did manage to take off before it really got ugly, using your rather weak "i'm playing poker" excuse. You should create a "Bonner Defenders" krew, you could provide the leadership, since you the st #1 poster, after all. Otherwise, your trolling gets owned piecemeal, tbh. I think, its your best option under the circumstances.

chazley
03-23-2011, 02:57 AM
lol bonner defenders
lol chazley still butthurt after the triple team he received in his thread

Its ok son, you did manage to take off before it really got ugly, using your rather weak "i'm playing poker" excuse. You should create a "Bonner Defenders" krew, you could provide the leadership, since you the st #1 poster, after all. Otherwise, your trolling gets owned piecemeal, tbh. I think, its your best option under the circumstances.

This thread was created by a guy I was dominating in another thread. He got butthurt that he couldn't beat me in a discussion about Bonner, so he created this thread so he could be reassured by all the other clueless Spurstalk posters who think Bonner blows.

Yes, I play online poker for a living. Don't care if you believe that's what I was doing, I'm here now.

Name one instance where I got owned discussion Bonner. Please, I BEG you to find one time it has happened.

Cessation
03-23-2011, 03:16 AM
So whats your opinion on the "Bonner Defenders" krew? Its a good idea, huh. With your leadership, you would be unstoppable. Think about it, if ginger hits couple of threes in the playoffs, you could be shitting over everyone!! I know you with me on that.

TD 21
03-23-2011, 06:01 PM

I'm no Bonner defender. I've criticized him as much as anyone over the years, but a lot of the criticism this season is unwarranted. As if the guy was never going to have an extended shooting slump. And as if him having that inevitable slump now automatically means it'll carry over to the playoffs. But in the event it does, I'll want him stapled to the bench after a few games.

Sean Cagney, everyone knows he's a playoff choker. I'm not disputing that. I've said multiple times in this thread, though, that the sample size is limited, which is pat of the reason I think he deserves another chance, so long as he's on a short leash.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm no Bonner defender. I've criticized him as much as anyone over the years, but a lot of the criticism this season is unwarranted. As if the guy was never going to have an extended shooting slump. And as if him having that inevitable slump now automatically means it'll carry over to the playoffs. But in the event it does, I'll want him stapled to the bench after a few games.

Sean Cagney, everyone knows he's a playoff choker. I'm not disputing that. I've said multiple times in this thread, though, that the sample size is limited, which is pat of the reason I think he deserves another chance, so long as he's on a short leash.

I agree. I want Bonner getting his regular minutes as usual in the playoffs. What I want in addition, is that he gets pulled if he's not hitting his shots or the second the other team starts to iso on him.

z0sa
03-23-2011, 07:45 PM
lol bonner defenders

lol gray named dumbass

z0sa
03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
and lol chazely thinking hes the original Bonner defender. Tis not so, friend.

DesignatedT
03-23-2011, 07:53 PM

You say one thing decent about Bonner or one thing negative about Splitter then you are a "Bonner defender"... That's how it works here.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
You say one thing decent about Bonner or one thing negative about Splitter then you are a "Bonner defender"... That's how it works here.

Actually you catch some shit if all your posts in the game thread are pointing out what Splitter does wrong on a night that he gets a double double, but that has nothing to do with Bonner.

Borosai
03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Bonner's gonna crack some skulls. Put on your helmets.

DesignatedT
03-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Actually you catch some shit if all your posts in the game thread are pointing out what Splitter does wrong on a night that he gets a double double, but that has nothing to do with Bonner.

Funny how that didn't happen. I actually try to defend the guy but since I said something positive about Bonner at some point I am pro-bonner and a tiago hater. :lol no way you can like them both though, that would just be mind-boggling.

Sean Cagney
03-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Bonner's gonna crack some skulls. Put on your helmets.

LOL at the SIG, bad players do not need haters they just tell the truth! Good players get hated on bro, a player as bad as bonner just has naysayers who speak the truth about him as a player.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Funny how that didn't happen. I actually try to defend the guy but since I said something positive about Bonner at some point I am pro-bonner and a tiago hater. :lol no way you can like them both though, that would just be mind-boggling.

It would be funny if it didn't happen, but it did. Go check your posts from the game thread. I like both of them, so I'm not sure where the strawman is coming from.

Borosai
03-23-2011, 08:04 PM
LOL at the SIG, bad players do not need haters they just tell the truth! Good players get hated on bro, a player as bad as bonner just has naysayers who speak the truth about him as a player.

You're going to need two helmets!

DesignatedT
03-23-2011, 08:11 PM
It would be funny if it didn't happen, but it did. Go check your posts from the game thread. I like both of them, so I'm not sure where the strawman is coming from.

Yes I remember what I said in the game thread. I thought Tiago had a good game and was very excited to see it. I also gave out as many positive as negative comments and have repeatedly made it known that I have a strong inclination for him getting more playing time. Now what?

That being said, I am not going to nuthug and hype the guy into being the next hakeem olajuwan and act like the guy is totally flawless on the court. If me saying " Tiagos D could have been better or Tiago please don't shoot that weak ass hook" is me being a tiago hater and a bonner lover then so be it.

Cessation
03-23-2011, 08:18 PM
lol gray named dumbass

lol acting like the amount of time wasted on an internet forum is an accomplishment

dbreiden83080
03-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Bonner has played well this year

Why do so many Spurs fans bitch about the guy non-stop?

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Bonner has played well this year

Why do so many Spurs fans bitch about the guy non-stop?

He's played about as well as one could expect, but he's still not a rotation-quality big in the NBA and he gets the far too many minutes for this team. Has it been so long ago that you've forgotten that he was the starting center?

slayermin
03-23-2011, 11:34 PM
He's in a slump right now. Put in Novak to see if he can hit a couple.

underdawg
03-24-2011, 12:21 AM
he's no daisy

how you like that small ball y'all?

Is it me or do the games where small ball works seem fewer than when it doesn't?

SplitterHook
03-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Splitter +11
Bonner -14

Nene (guarded by Splitt): 2-3 - 8 points [averages 15ppg on 63% shooting]
Harrington (guarded by Bonner): 8-12 - 27 points [averages 10ppg on 40%]

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Splitter +11
Bonner -14

Nene (guarded by Splitt): 2-3 - 8 points [averages 15ppg on 63% shooting]
Harrington (guarded by Bonner): 8-12 - 27 points [averages 10ppg on 40%]

+/- is such a garbage stat for single games. Look up the season numbers for Bonner and Splitter I guarantee you Bonner is killing Splitter

HarlemHeat37
03-24-2011, 12:50 AM
+/- is such a garbage stat for single games. Look up the season numbers for Bonner and Splitter I guarantee you Bonner is killing Splitter

Look up Bonner's on/off +/- stats in the playoffs..

silverblk mystix
03-24-2011, 12:50 AM

The only way that would even be remotely fair is if Splitter had the same amount of minutes of playing time as Bonner...

otherwise--

I call bullshit.

underdawg
03-24-2011, 12:53 AM

Bonner needs to stop killing his own teamates

SplitterHook
03-24-2011, 12:54 AM
and rightfully so because bonner was playing much better than splitter...

The thing is: If he's not making his 3-point shots he's a TERRIBLE power forward. Also we'll need Size and D in the playoffs. Bonner provides none.

Anyway, yes, +/- is kinda of a bad stats but today you could clearly see why Nugs were winning with antonio+splitter and getting torched with bonner+blair.

Harrington scoring 27 points on 67% shooting is an RARE event.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Bonner played really well in the second quarter, he got two steals and a block to start things off and his confidence was very high.

And the Spurs still gave up 40 points to the Nuggets. They were in a fucking feeding frenzy by the end of the quarter that carried over to the second half.

Iso after iso. Post up after post up. Pop never pulled him out, didn't send doubles to help him, and went back to Bonner when Dice got into foul trouble. :bang

Sean Cagney
03-24-2011, 02:40 AM
BONNER IS UTTER SHIT, this proves it again!! He had one bucket I remember, the one inside! The others miss miss miss. I am sick of this dude, period.

Cessation
03-24-2011, 03:37 AM
The pressure is getting to him already, you can see how he reacts to every time he fucks up, thereby making the next fail more likely. Instead of forgetting and just focusing on his shooting. He also gave up alot of points on the defencive end, everytime nuggets went to the bonner mismatch, something good happened for them. You can't teach, having ice cold veins, like some guys have, so his playoff struggles are all but inevitable. Bonner has had a ton of chances. Pop has been favoring him from the start. Its pretty sad, timmy's last years, are being wasted on this clown, instead of getting a legit big that rebounds and plays d.

lol at anyone thinking that blair/bonner lineup will fly in the playoffs for any significant amount of time

Budkin
03-24-2011, 08:10 AM
lol at anyone thinking that blair/bonner lineup will fly in the playoffs for any significant amount of time

If Pop doesn't realize this by the playoffs then we have no chance.

Ice009
03-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Fans in SA need to make some signs for the next home game.

No Bonner/Blair lineup you FUCKWIT Pop.

FREE TIAGO.

SenorSpur
03-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Bonner plays defense as if he's the victim of armed robbery. From the look on his face to his posture, that sums up why opposing players salivate when they see he's matched up against them.

What's is so mind-boggling is Pop's total and utter loyalty to this guy.

I'm totally convinced that if he never played another game this season, the Spurs could get by with what they have.

silverblk mystix
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Bonner plays defense as if he's the victim of armed robbery. From the look on his face to his posture, that sums up why opposing players salivate when they see he's matched up against them.

What's is so mind-boggling is Pop's total and utter loyalty to this guy.

I'm totally convinced that if he never played another game this season, the Spurs could get by with what they have.

NO.

If Bonner never played another game this season---the spurs would be a much better team and actually have a real good shot at a title. Fact.

Budkin
03-24-2011, 10:33 AM
"Coach B" needs to retire so he can make funny videos full time.

lefty
03-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Bonner=opponents make a run

Blackjack
03-24-2011, 07:34 PM
I think the problem with the Spurs is they don't play enough Bonner.

Got-to-have-more-Bonner! :hungry:

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I emailed Pop and asked him to leave Bonner in the game until he works his way out of his slump. Expect him not to be pulled from a game until next fall.

ElNono
03-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I emailed Pop and asked him to leave Bonner in the game until he works his way out of his slump. Expect him not to be pulled from a game until next fall.

Chopper with the goods... :lol

Blackjack
03-24-2011, 07:59 PM

/sighofrelief :tu

Sean Cagney
03-24-2011, 10:06 PM

:rollin:rollin:rollin He will then shoot .500 again earlier and we will hear how he is league leading and different this year! He will not do it these playoffs some will say, hell keep fooling yourselves Bonner fans he is him! He is starting a month earlier though.

Sean Cagney
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
This thread was created by a guy I was dominating in another thread. He got butthurt that he couldn't beat me in a discussion about Bonner, so he created this thread so he could be reassured by all the other clueless Spurstalk posters who think Bonner blows.

Yes, I play online poker for a living. Don't care if you believe that's what I was doing, I'm here now.

Name one instance where I got owned discussion Bonner. Please, I BEG you to find one time it has happened.

No offense but how can you be a Bonner backer and dominate someone? Whats your proof his % for half the year or so? Okay we know that, it's been that way! What about his D or his later in the year %, nobody can argue that and that is the TRUTH! He does this yearly.

BTW you don't need to lose a bonner argument, if you back him and argue him thats a loss there in itself, the proof is there and started already and there is no arguing it! It's an L in itself to argue him to others like he is good.

Argue him sucking later in the year % wise and the playoffs, argue he is a good rebounder or good on D! I dare that there! If he is not hitting what does he do exactly? Seriously what is he good for if he is not hitting? He has not been lately and years past as well against great teams late and the playoffs. Bonner is what he is, thats what he is.

duncan228
03-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Hit the link for the whole piece.

Bonner not worried about shooting slump (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/24/bonner-not-worried-about-shooting-slump/)
Jeff McDonald

...In the past, Bonner admits, such a slump would have driven him to the edge of despondency.

“Now, it really has no effect,” the 30-year-old reserve said. “I’m going to keep shooting if I’m open, because that’s my role.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/24/bonner-not-worried-about-shooting-slump/