PDA

View Full Version : Since when did Detroit's offense become so good?

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Detroit's offense is overrated. It seems as though most of the pre-Finals hype has centered on the Spurs' O versus the Pistons' D but the glaring mismatch is on the other end of the court. The Pistons are going to find it extremely tough to score on this Spurs' defense. Sure, they are used to their defense keeping them in games and allowing them to make up for their offensive woes, 'cept now they are facing the best defense in the National Basketball Association. And it's just not in the halfcourt set. If the Pistons think they can get out and run they are going to be in for a splendid surprise.

Perhaps it's just your standard myopic East Coast media which has the Pistons pegged as a premier defensive unit and any team that comes out of the West as a premier offensive one. I don't know. What I do know is that judging by some comments in this forum Piston fan is going to be in for a rude awakening beginning on Thursday.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Offense: 92 points a game.

Defense: 86 points a game.

God does that just look boring.

Not only have the Spurs cored more they have a larger margin of victory compared to the Pistons.

mavsfan1000
06-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Spurs 82 and Pistons 68. No offense.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Spurs 82 and Pistons 68. No offense.

Huh?

timvp
06-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Detroit's offense is overrated. It seems as though most of the pre-Finals hype has centered on the Spurs' O versus the Pistons' D but the glaring mismatch is on the other end of the court. The Pistons are going to find it extremely tough to score on this Spurs' defense. Sure, they are used to their defense keeping them in games and allowing them to make up for their offensive woes, 'cept now they are facing the best defense in the National Basketball Association. And it's just not in the halfcourt set. If the Pistons think they can get out and run they are going to be in for a splendid surprise.

Perhaps it's just your standard myopic East Coast media which has the Pistons pegged as a premier defensive unit and any team that comes out of the West as a premier offensive one. I don't know. What I do know is that judging by some comments in this forum Piston fan is going to be in for a rude awakening beginning on Thursday.

I'd have to agree with this. The Pistons shouldn't be scoring over 85 against the Spurs.

The Spurs should be okay as long as their offense doesn't fold like it did in 2004, 2002 and 2001.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2005, 03:11 PM
The Spurs should be okay as long as their offense doesn't fold like it did in 2004, 2002 and 2001.

LOL

you almost sound sarcastic in that post

BadlyDrawnBoy
When you have Manu and Tony taking it to the whole and then Barry, Horry, Robinson, and Beno outside waiting.

The offense should not nor will not fold.

It hasn't yet nor will it.

SPARKY
This season, Spurs were:

1st in the NBA in average scoring differential per game (+7.80)
1st in average points allowed per game (88.39)
18th in points scored per game (96.19)
10th in FG% (45.3%)
3rd in average opponents' FG% (42.6%)
1st in average opponents' assists per game (16.89)
1st in average assist differential per game (+4.70)

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Pistons were:

6th in the NBA in average scoring differential per game (+3.86)
2nd in average points allowed per game (89.46)
24th in points scored per game (93.32)
17th in FG% (44.%)
5th in average opponents' FG% (43.0%)
4th in average opponents' assists per game (19.73)
7th in average assist differential per game (+2.06)

So basically Detroit has a strong defense (though a tad bit weaker than the Spurs' - both per stats as well as from personal observation) and a significantly weaker offense.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Spurs > Pistons

End all be alls of this thread.

TwoHandJam
06-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I'd have to agree with this. The Pistons shouldn't be scoring over 85 against the Spurs.

2001 - Shaq and Kobe in their primes
2002 - No Manu + Shaq still a force
2003 - Title
2004 - 0.4 against 4 HOFers

I'll take the odds that we can do better this year against the Pistons. What do you think?

TwoHandJam
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Pistons were:

17th in FG% (44.%)

So basically Detroit has a strong defense (though a tad bit weaker than the Spurs' - both per stats as well as from personal observation) and a significantly weaker offense.
Don't forget that most of the Pistons stats are vs. a markedly weaker conference where a .500 record can get you in the playoffs.

td4mvp3
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
does anyone know what the stats are for the playoffs only? it's not readily available anywhere that i know of and i don't feel like crunching numbers myself :)

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 03:27 PM
2005 NBA Playoffs:

Spurs 102 ppg.
Oppt. 95 ppg.
7 point margin of victory.

Pistons 92 ppg.
Oppt. 86 ppg.
6 point margin of victory.

Nikos
06-07-2005, 03:36 PM

I'd have to agree with this x 2.

Spurs really have to choke to lose this series. But I don't think its impossible considering TP's matchup, and Manu and Duncan facing a tough defense. And the Spurs propensity to lose offensive focus as a unit at times -- although overall in the playoffs they have been solid in this aspect.

I expect Duncan to be the best player in this series, but he needs to dominate like he has done in the past (02 and 03 playoffs).

Manu I am sure will contribute in some way even if his scoring isn't as potent as previous rounds (I don't rexpect it to be). I am not sure he will play excellent basketball, but I am assuming he will still be a big asset for the team even if his shot is off.

I like Nazr's rebounding and physical presense. If he can stay out of foul trouble.

Horry I am comfortable with as long as he gets open looks and plays solid D on Sheed.

I wish Devin was healthy this series so that if Barry can't contribute, then Devin would surely help on the defensive end, and even offensively during a potential Spur drought.

As fas as Detroit's O, it is average over the course of the season. Their D is no better than the Spurs.

Spurs have to play poorly to lose this series. If they play to their potential, they can beat the Pistons convincingly. But if they play like 2004, it is going to be close, and Detroit could conceivably pull it out.

Nikos
06-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Sparky if you go by POINTS PER POSSESION, on Basketball-Reference.com than your case is further proven. Spurs are significantly stronger on offense, and a little bit better on defense this season. This with Duncan OUT for 16 games. Had they had him for most of that time, their offense might even be in the top 5-6 in the league.

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Like I said before:

Spurs offense in the face of defensive pressure > Pistons offense in the face of defensive pressure

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm sure some kinda of record will be set for consecutive scoreless minutes by Detroit. Their offense is horrible, just wait to the spurs clamp down.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Hmmm...no Piston fan responses yet. I'm guessing the first one will be something along the lines of "but we got passion"...

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Hmmm...no Piston fan responses yet.

I think the trollish ones quit for nap time.

T Park
06-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Sparky makes a fantastic point.

The detroit offense looked horrible against a piss poor defense VS Miami.

If the Spurs can keep there heads out of there asses on offense, this will be a quick series.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 03:55 PM
This thread is a joke. You are all in for some education. The Piston's offense sucks that's why they are the defending champs and have a shot at back to back. Has SA played a frontline as good as Det this year? SA is a two man team, and Larry Brown will out coach Pop. I don't see SA scoring. Let Duncan get his 30 and Manu his 30. Where is the rest coming from? Please, people here have apparently not seen the Pistons play. You should learn from their drubbing of the Lakers last year and show some respect.

MiNuS
06-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Piston offense = Suns defense

Spurs are the Cameleon

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 03:57 PM
This thread is a joke. You are all in for some education. The Piston's offense sucks that's why they are the defending champs and have a shot at back to back. Has SA played a frontline as good as Det this year? SA is a two man team, and Larry Brown will out coach Pop. I don't see SA scoring. Let Duncan get his 30 and Manu his 30. Where is the rest coming from? Please, people here have apparently not seen the Pistons play. You should learn from their drubbing of the Lakers last year and show some respect.

So that's 60 a game with Manu and Tim alone and no other points from the 10 guys suited up.

Yep. Spurs sweep this bitch.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 03:59 PM
SA=two man team. Nazr = joke Parker= no J Horry= 85 years old no way Spurs win.

Back to Back baby. East is best.

bigzak25
lets not pretend like our Spurs offense doesn't go into shooting slumps and freethrow shock.

offense, defense, blah blah blah....

rebounds and turnovers...i.e. hustle, desire and taking care of the ball. that's what it'll come down to. it always does.

SPARKY
This thread is a joke. You are all in for some education. The Piston's offense sucks that's why they are the defending champs and have a shot at back to back.

Actually, it would be their defense, the fact they play in a weak ass conference that they can climb to the top in, and that they faced a thin Laker team that lost its starting power forward last year. Also the Lakers weren't exactly a great defensive unit, especially after they lost Malone and had to replace him with Cook or whoever.

Nice of you not to mention one word about why their offense doesn't suck.

Has SA played a frontline as good as Det this year? SA is a two man team,

3 man, but that would mean you actually knew what you were talking about. Actually, has Detroit faced as good of a frontline as the Spurs? That means something other than a Shaq at 60% along with the corpse of Zo's career...

and Larry Brown will out coach Pop. I don't see SA scoring. Let Duncan get his 30 and Manu his 30. Where is the rest coming from? Please, people here have apparently not seen the Pistons play. You should learn from their drubbing of the Lakers last year and show some respect.

WTF man are you dense? Do you not realize that the Spurs have just as good of a defense...and then a little bit better?

You didn't address the main point of this thread you skipped around it because you know your team is weak as fuck on the offense end.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM

Man, you should write for ESPN.com or SI, maybe even... yep, Elle Magazine!

You're that good.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
So that's 60 a game with Manu and Tim alone and no other points from the 10 guys suited up.

Yep. Spurs sweep this bitch.

Only if they are helping your Mom sweep up at Walmart after her shift.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:02 PM

No. The Pistons suck at scoring so much that all the Spurs need to do is score 60 each game and they have it sealed.

River parade... here we come!

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Since when are the Spurs a 2 man team? Piston fan needs to wait for football season to start.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Actually, it would be their defense, the fact they play in a weak ass conference that they can climb to the top in, and that they faced a thin Laker team that lost its starting power forward last year. Also the Lakers weren't exactly a great defensive unit, especially after they lost Malone and had to replace him with Cook or whoever.

Nice of you not to mention one word about why their offense doesn't suck.

3 man, but that would mean you actually knew what you were talking about.

WTF man are you dense? Do you not realize that the Spurs have just as good of a defense...and then a little bit better?

You didn't address the main point of this thread you skipped around it because you know your team is weak as fuck on the offense end.

AWWW Sparky...weak offensive teams always make the finals two years in a row. :angel Go back to your man crush on Manu.

samikeyp
You should learn from their drubbing of the Lakers last year and show some respect.

So Piston fan wants everyone to live in the now ("Last year wasn't a fluke!, we're just as good this year") but then keeps referring to last year. hmmm....

Nothing to this point means jack shit. Neither team has done anything yet. They both need 4 more wins before anyone can talk shit.

BadlyDrawnBoy
Since when are the Spurs a 2 man team? Piston fan needs to wait for football season to start.

And watch the Lions suck worse than the Pistons offense?

Man, must suck huge hairy balls to live in Detroit. That is all.

SPARKY
lets not pretend like our Spurs offense doesn't go into shooting slumps and freethrow shock.

offense, defense, blah blah blah....

rebounds and turnovers...i.e. hustle, desire and taking care of the ball. that's what it'll come down to. it always does.

Even with that factored in the Pistons' O is worse.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:04 PM
No. The Pistons suck at scoring so much that all the Spurs need to do is score 60 each game and they have it sealed.

River parade... here we come!

The illegals will bring the Mezcal. You all can drown your sorrows together.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
AWWW Sparky...weak offensive teams always make the finals two years in a row.

In the east. Yes, yes they do.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:06 PM

see, that shows you how much you know.....the native San Antonians know better than to drink that stuff! :lol

The Mask
And watch the Lions suck worse than the Pistons offense?

Man, must suck huge hairy balls to live in Detroit. That is all.

At least we have a football team, what do you have? A letdown of landmark in the Alamo and lots of illegals. Will the last American out of SA please bring the flag.

BadlyDrawnBoy

I'll have a Pistons fan throw some wine out on the court in Detroit for the Spurs to drink asthey hold the troph in the Palace in a sweeping fashion.

Spurs 4 - Pistons 0

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:07 PM
At least we have a football team, what do you have? A letdown of landmark in the Alamo and lots of illegals. Will the last American out of SA please bring the flag.

Yeah, racist jokes. Is that all you have kid?

Seriously.

Weak. :rolleyes

samikeyp
A letdown of landmark in the Alamo and lots of illegals. Will the last American out of SA please bring the flag.

ahh now its deteriorated to racial smack. I wondered who was going to stop talking about basketball first. Piston Troll #4 has emerged.

2centsworth

Back to Back baby. East is best. you're in for the biggest surprise of your life. Parker has a very streaky J, but for as bad as his J suppossedly is he still shoots 47% from the field. There will be a game or two where he will be absolutely unstoppable. Nazr will give us 10-15 a night just and backside rebounding alone, because all your guys will collapse on our big 3.

Spurs are gonna break a record for layups.

Ishta
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Bottom line....both teams are great on Defense...The edge goes to the Spurs because of our offensive abilities....

oh yeah and we have this player named Tim Duncan...he's pretty good too:rolleyes

SWC Bonfire

Golly gee that sure is intelligent! Hell, I'm just an ol' ranch hand down heer in South Texas, do they play basketball with bushel baskets? :rolleyes

The Mask
So Piston fan wants everyone to live in the now ("Last year wasn't a fluke!, we're just as good this year") but then keeps referring to last year. hmmm....

Nothing to this point means jack shit. Neither team has done anything yet. They both need 4 more wins before anyone can talk shit.

Yeah but you guys were trolling for some Pistons banter in this thread. I thought I'd help out. I think it will be a good series, and you will be impressed with the Pistons. I don't think that you've really seen them all to much by the posts here.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't think that you've really seen them all to much by the posts here.

I would say the same about the Piston fans here about the Spurs judging by their posts.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah but you guys were trolling for some Pistons banter in this thread. I thought I'd help out. I think it will be a good series, and you will be impressed with the Pistons. I don't think that you've really seen them all to much by the posts here.

Last time I checked, this is a Spurs forum. We don't troll for shit. If you want to troll somewhere do it elsewhere or get your ass banned here. We don't need your useless racist trolling.

Take that shit back to Detroit.

spurs_fan_in_exile
Hooray! The honeymoon's over! Spurs are not a two man team any more than the Pistons are. The reality of is that although the Pistons may statistically seem more balanced the fact is that they rely on certain guys to get the rest of the team going and if they don't do that then the whole team is in the toilet. The Spurs are the same way. This series will come down to all the great stuff that we've come to expect from both teams-hustle, hitting the boards, execution down the stretch. And if there's one thing we know in Texas it's executin'.

nkdlunch
Detroit's offense is overrated.

WTF?? I've never heard the words offense and Pistons in the same sentence. They're a defensive team. They won a championship w/what they got, give them some credit.

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2005, 04:11 PM
I believe the Pistons offense is very much underated. The truth of the matter is that the Pistons tend to play down to the level of their competition. If they need 82 to win the game, then thats what they'll get. Likewise they are not as some may beleive unable to drop 110 on their competition. And being in the east, very often we only need 80 to win a game, whereas you all face the likes of Dallas,Phoenix,Seattle etc etc. forcing you all to put up more points.

I'm really not worried about not being able to score enough to keep up w/ the Spurs. Sure I may be a bit biased, but I don't see it as something for our boys to fear. The Pistons, much like the Spurs tend to dictate the flow of the game with their Defense. Scoring is not the important thing. I was actually suprised to see you all run so much w/ Phoenix. I really expected to see you all slow the game down more, and win it w/ your lock down D.

Well see what happens. I like our chances. I like the matchups. I like the way my boys handle the pressure.

Should be a good series.

The Mask
Yeah, racist jokes. Is that all you have kid?

Seriously.

Weak. :rolleyes

I have much more.

adrienne
Spurs and Pistons are both great defensively. Equal on that front.

Spurs are good offensively, not Phoenix/Sac great, but more than adequate.

Pistons would have trouble if the basket were the size of a hula hoop.

This may be a defensive series, but the difference will actually be the offense. Which is why the Spurs will most likely prevail.

SPARKY
AWWW Sparky...weak offensive teams always make the finals two years in a row. :angel Go back to your man crush on Manu.

Actually, it's not that hard to make it to the Finals in the Eastern conference. The juggernaut Nets did that back to back...

Ishta
06-07-2005, 04:12 PM

I actually watched the series between miami, and detroit..........I knew Detroit would win with their defense..They struggled a little on offense....That is where the main difference between these 2 teams is..We are pretty damn good on offense... ex. beating the best offensive team in the league in 5 games:spin

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 04:12 PM
And if there's one thing we know in Texas it's executin'.

:lol

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Last time I checked, this is a Spurs forum. We don't troll for shit. If you want to troll somewhere do it elsewhere or get your ass banned here. We don't need your useless racist trolling.

Take that shit back to Detroit.

Check the posts slappy - people were waiting for Pistons fans to respond.

BadlyDrawnBoy
I have much more.

More racist jokes.

Cool. Start posting it so you can get banned faster.

We don't need Detroit trash here at SpursTalk.

bdubya
2004 - 0.4 against 4 HOFers

No doubt; how on earth could the Pistons ever HOPE to compete with the team that came THAT close to beating 4 HOFers? Dang, didn't the Spurs even WIN a couple games off that unstoppable HOFer squad? Jeez, maybe we ought to just pack it in and save everybody the trouble....hee hee.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Check the posts slappy - people were waiting for Pistons fans to respond.

Respond with a real take not the crap you troll in here with. Quit being a jackass.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Actually, it's not that hard to make it to the Finals in the Eastern conference. The juggernaut Nets did that back to back...

Those powerhouse Nets have to be top ten ever to make it to the Finals! They were something magical!

:lol :lol :lol

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
No doubt; how on earth could the Pistons ever HOPE to compete with the team that came THAT close to beating 4 HOFers? Dang, didn't the Spurs even WIN a couple games off that unstoppable HOFer squad? Jeez, maybe we ought to just pack it in and save everybody the trouble....hee hee.

4-0 brotha.

Spurs about to have another river parade.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
people were waiting for Pistons fans to respond.

respond with basketball takes, not racism.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Again, the Pistons have yet to face a defense of the caliber of the Spurs. Going by whatever measure you like their offense has been significantly worse than the Spurs' this season.

It's funny how the Pistons' D is supposed to shut down the Spurs but somehow a more inept Pistons' O is supposed to torch the best defense in the NBA.

Small wonder that Piston fan is now talking about "illegals" and "the Alamo"...

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Those powerhouse Nets have to be top ten ever to make it to the Finals! They were something magical!

I bet you wish you were there with them.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:20 PM

Actually it was 3 in the Finals. Piston fan doesn't seem to grasp how significant that injury was...

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:20 PM
I believe the Pistons offense is very much underated. The truth of the matter is that the Pistons tend to play down to the level of their competition.

Pistons offense underrated?

You're avg. 92 POINTS PER GAME in the entire playoffs!!

And if you're playing down to the level of the comp. then explain why your offense still sucked when you played the Heat? A heat that only scored under 100 once during he entire playoffs before the ECF?

Should you then have been scoring in the hundreds every game?

No, your offense still was weak.

Look.

Defense:

Spurs = Pistons

Offense:

Spurs > Pistons

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
I bet you wish you were there with them.

The SPurs will never be able to touch how great those Nets teams were.

Wow... they were beyond great!

I mean... come on... no one will ever be able to match them.

They were your Eastern conference champions.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Again, the Pistons have yet to face a defense of the caliber of the Spurs. Going by whatever measure you like their offense has been significantly worse than the Spurs' this season.

It's funny how the Pistons' D is supposed to shut down the Spurs but somehow a more inept Pistons' O is supposed to torch the best defense in the NBA.

Small wonder that Piston fan is now talking about "illegals" and "the Alamo"...
The Spurs have yet to face a D the caliber of the Pistons. Again - Pistons O is not bad and Larry Brown will no doubt find the Spurs weakness and exploit it. The Det bigs can shoot outside drawing Duncan out from the basket.

Parker will not be able to penetrate until he proves he can hit the J. Which if he is on- Spurs are in good shape, if he is off- the Pistons will lay back and take away the penetration and stop the Spurs. You can always throw it in to Duncan, but Det will deny him the ball or he will get his at the rest of your teams expense. The Shaq D. Pistons will play Manu and Duncan like they played Shaq and Wade or Shaq and Kobe. We will see if you are truly mor ethan a two man team.

PistonFreak
06-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Hey Mask, dude, chillllll out. This is the Spurs board so yack a little b-ball, and don't start no city to city crap. Detroit is not Paris you know? :rolleyes

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Spurs win 4-O

You just have to face it.

Sorry.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Hey Mask, dude, chillllll out. This is the Spurs board so yack a little b-ball, and don't start no city to city crap. Detroit is not Paris you know? :rolleyes

It is Paris.

Paris Hilton.

Ugly, skanky, ghettoish, unintelligent.... :lol

Just messin'

nkdlunch
06-07-2005, 04:27 PM

let's see, if I had to pick between a city full of happy mexicans drinkin tequila and dancing and a garbage dump of a city full of depressed white trash who stink....

Simon Vato! I pick SA :lol

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-07-2005, 04:28 PM
let's see, if I had to pick between a city full of happy mexicans drinkin tequila and dancing and a garbage dump of a city full of depressed white trash who stink....

Come on, no need to lower yourself to that turds level.

T Park
06-07-2005, 04:28 PM
cool double Duncan so guys like Horry, Barry, Bowen, Ginobili, and Robinson are WIDE open for threes.

Sounds good to me.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-07-2005, 04:29 PM

Didn't that weak team beat the Spurs twice in the Finals?

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Didn't the Spurs win that series?

all that matters is the final outcome.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:30 PM

You think Det is full of white trash? Maybe thugs and gangsters but not white trash.

I pick the D. Hollar!!!

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:31 PM
If this were a city vs. city matchup...this might have relevance.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:31 PM
The Spurs have yet to face a D the caliber of the Pistons. Again - Pistons O is not bad and Larry Brown will no doubt find the Spurs weakness and exploit it. The Det bigs can shoot outside drawing Duncan out from the basket.

The problem is that the Spurs' offense is a tad bit better than the Pistons' offense...and the Spurs' defense is slightly better than the Pistons'.

Parker will not be able to penetrate until he proves he can hit the J. Which if he is on- Spurs are in good shape, if he is off- the Pistons will lay back and take away the penetration and stop the Spurs.

I'm not sure where/when this Parker as awful jumpshooter legend was born but Piston fan will be in for a rude awakening if they let Tony shoot the open J.

You can always throw it in to Duncan, but Det will deny him the ball or he will get his at the rest of your teams expense. The Shaq D. Pistons will play Manu and Duncan like they played Shaq and Wade or Shaq and Kobe. We will see if you are truly mor ethan a two man team.

Yet, of course, the mighty Piston offense will somehow manage to score against the best defense in basketball.

Right.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Didn't that weak team beat the Spurs twice in the Finals?

Moral victories don't count, Piston fan.

The Mask
cool double Duncan so guys like Horry, Barry, Bowen, Ginobili, and Robinson are WIDE open for threes.

Sounds good to me.

No need to double Shaq, no need to double Duncan

Sure, but that wasn't his point.

A weak team took 2 from the NBA champion. If you call the Pistons a fluke, what the hell do you call that?

SPARKY

Please don't double Duncan...

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:33 PM

no need to stay in the series.

Spurminator
The Pistons' offense was ranked 17th in the NBA for team efficiency. For every 100 posessions, they scored 103.6 points. The Spurs were 6th in the league at 105.7. A difference of 2.1.

On defense, the Pistons were ranked 3rd in the NBA, giving up 98.7 points for every 100 posessions. The Spurs were first, giving up 96.5. A difference of 2.2.

You might take this to mean that the margin of difference between the Spurs' and Pistons' offenses is the same as the margin between their defenses.

Moral victories don't count, Piston fan.

Exactly.

.4 anyone?

SPARKY
Sure, but that wasn't his point.

A weak team took 2 from the NBA champion. If you call the Pistons a fluke, what the hell do you call that?

I call that a championship. Sorry if your inferiority complex saddled ass can't handle that.

T Park
no shit.

Put single coverage on Duncan.

See how well that worked for Phoenix....

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
respond with basketball takes, not racism.

what do you expect from people from detroit? Riots at the game, bomb threats, riots after victories. It's one of the worst places in america.

06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Please don't double Duncan...

Hasn't TD himself said that Sheed is one of the only guys in the NBA to give him trouble?

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Exactly.

.4 anyone?

:lmao what is next....asterisk smack?

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:35 PM
no shit.

Put single coverage on Duncan.

See how well that worked for Phoenix....

Det is a lot better than the PHX five.

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Exactly.

.4 anyone?
I'm with you on that .4 bullshit, it's a big excuse.

SPARKY
Hasn't TD himself said that Sheed is one of the only guys in the NBA to give him trouble?

Yeah...in 1999.

"trouble" != "contain", Piston fan.

Maybe Sheed will glare at Duncan real mean like. Yeah.

samikeyp

its called having respect for one's opponent, doesn't mean he still can't have a good series. oh im sorry.....fekz already said "having class was overrated" never mind.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:37 PM
what do you expect from people from detroit? Riots at the game, bomb threats, riots after victories. It's one of the worst places in america.

Please, I've been to your fair city. It is pretty much Det on the border.

06-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I call that a championship. Sorry if your inferiority complex saddled ass can't handle that.

Then can we end with the Lakers without Malone stuff? There are no flukes in a 4 round, 7 game championship series.

In the NCAA single elimination games, yes there are flukes. Not in a series and not in the NBA...

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:39 PM
The Lakers with Malone were a much better team than the one without it. Especially when you consider he was giving them 40 minutes a night and his backup was Brian Cook or whoever.

samikeyp

Nice try...its not on the border.

its called having respect for one's opponent, doesn't mean he still can't have a good series. oh im sorry.....fekz already said "having class was overrated" never mind.

In no way, shape or form am I saying that Sheed will stop TD. All you can hope for is to make him work for everything he gets, which I think he can do. What's sad is that Sheed has the talent of TD, it just never materialized into the game TD has night in, night out...

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
^ agreed. Fair point.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Nice try...its not on the border.

I didn't mean literaly.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:42 PM
something is either on the border or its not....make up your mind, racist.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:42 PM
In no way, shape or form am I saying that Sheed will stop TD. All you can hope for is to make him work for everything he gets, which I think he can do. What's sad is that Sheed has the talent of TD, it just never materialized into the game TD has night in, night out...

If Sheed gets 20 Pistons win- he is the x factor

nkdlunch
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
If Sheed gets 20 Pistons win- he is the x factor

:lol That's what the Suns fans thought when Amare went for 40

06-07-2005, 04:44 PM
The Lakers with Malone were a much better team than the one without it. Especially when you consider he was giving them 40 minutes a night and his backup was Brian Cook or whoever.

So what? The Pistons were a lot better with a healthy Isiah in 88. The Heat are a lot better with a healthy Shaq and Wade. They also would of won when Zo got suspended for game 5 long ago. The Sonics are better with a healthy Rashard Lewis and Radmanovic. The Pacers are better with Artest and a healthy JO. The Suns are better with a healthy Joe Johnson. And all that means jack shit.

You win and lose with who you got on the floor.

Always have, always will...

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 04:46 PM

True. There's no excuses for losses and no asterisks on wins.

The Mask
something is either on the border or its not....make up your mind, racist.

I know it is not on the border, but it might as well be. Sorry, for the double entendre. I know they are tough to translate. Comprende?

SA folks are sure touchy.

SPARKY
So what? The Pistons were a lot better with a healthy Isiah in 88. The Heat are a lot better with a healthy Shaq and Wade. They also would of won when Zo got suspended for game 5 long ago. The Sonics are better with a healthy Rashard Lewis and Radmanovic. The Pacers are better with Artest and a healthy JO. The Suns are better with a healthy Joe Johnson. And all that means jack shit.

That's nice, yet since some want to draw conclusions based on the performance of the Spurs and the Pistons against one team in last year's postseason we should at least recognize a key injury.

Try again.

T Park
The Sonics are better with a healthy Rashard Lewis and Radmanovic.

thats completely wrong.

If Seattle could package those clowns up for a good Small forward, they would improve ten fold.

SWC Bonfire
Let's drop the last year shit. Spurs didn't beat the lakers, Pistons did, now Rosco's got his belt.

But this is this year. Spurs are battle-tested for this kind of game in the earlier rounds against more physical teams than Detroit (not better, just more physical). Then they did a 180 and beat the Suns at their game.

Detroit, do you have that kind of flexibility?

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Message to Spurs and Pistons fans alike: City smack is so stupid. I could find a lot wrong with just about every city in this country. Grow up.

06-07-2005, 04:47 PM
That's nice, yet since we want to measure the performance of the Spurs and the Pistons against one team in last year's postseason we should at least recognize a key injury.

Try again.

Great, except there is no way to do that...

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Let's drop the last year shit. Spurs didn't beat the lakers, Pistons did, now Rosco's got his belt.

But this is this year. Spurs are battle-tested for this kind of game in the earlier rounds against more physical teams than Detroit (not better, just more physical). Then they did a 180 and beat the Suns at their game.

There simply are no teams in the league, except maybe your Spurs, that are as physical as Det.

06-07-2005, 04:49 PM
thats completely wrong.

If Seattle could package those clowns up for a good Small forward, they would improve ten fold.

Aren't they all FAs?

SPARKY
Piston fan needs to drop the last year shit. Fuck man the Spurs aren't an imploding Laker team who lost a starter to a major injury so shut the fuck up about how you faced the big bad Lakers as if it was the same team the Spurs faced back then. Also recognize that you are about to face a drama free team with the best defense in the NBA and a superior offense to yours.

Small wonder Piston fan gets a bad rap.

They've earned it.

SWC Bonfire

Um, we're going to find out starting Thurs.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM

Then Piston fan needs to shut up about last year and the Lakers.

ChumpDumper
SPARKY is going into the stands!

SWC Bonfire
There simply are no teams in the league, except maybe your Spurs, that are as physical as Det.

Check the NBA stats for flagrant fouls this postseason.

Edit: by physical I mean body on body, knock down penetrating guards, hard fouling defense. Detroit doesn't have to play that dirty because they are more talented, but the Spurs have seen some serious crap this Playoffs.

T Park
They also forget the laker's pg defense was pathetic, enabling a good, but not fantastic PG in Chauncey Billups to light them up.

ANother difference.

That and Rip Hamilton, if he gets 20 will have to take about 22 shots to get it.

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
SPARKY is going into the stands!

Watch out for SJax!:lol

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Piston fan needs to drop the last year shit. Fuck man the Spurs aren't an imploding Laker team who lost a starter to a major injury so shut the fuck up about how you faced the big bad Lakers as if it was the same team the Spurs faced back then. Also recognize that you are about to face a drama free team with the best defense in the NBA and a superior offense to yours.

Small wonder Piston fan gets a bad rap.

They've earned it.

Do you kiss you mom with that mouth? Speaks volumes.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM

I certainly wouldn't kiss yours.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I know it is not on the border, but it might as well be. Sorry, for the double entendre. I know they are tough to translate. Comprende?

SA folks are sure touchy.

not touchy at all...we just don't like racists.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:53 PM

this from the guy that spews racist crap?

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I certainly wouldn't kiss yours.

My Mom passed away from Cancer last year, jackass. You a smart one, Sparky.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Next time don't talk about SPARKY's mother.

jochhejaam
06-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Offense: 92 points a game.

Defense: 86 points a game.

God does that just look boring.

Not only have the Spurs cored more they have a larger margin of victory compared to the Pistons.

It's actually 93 and 89 for the Pistons
and 96 and 88 for the Spurs

96 and 88...? That's so much more exciting than 93 and 89... :rolleyes

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
this from the guy that spews racist crap?

Easy Chico, It's all in fun. Nothing I posted was racist. Just pointing out obvious demographics and having some fun. It is obvious that Spurs fans have heard this before and are sensitive.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 04:57 PM
96 and 88...? That's so much more exciting than 93 and 89...

Its never boring when you win. :)

The Mask
06-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Next time don't talk about SPARKY's mother.

Sparky's getting upset!!!!

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Sparky's getting upset!!!!

Upset about...?

bdubya
06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
That's nice, yet since some want to draw conclusions based on the performance of the Spurs and the Pistons against one team in last year's postseason we should at least recognize a key injury.

Try again.

The injury was definitely a factor, but are you saying that Malone's knee was the difference between the Lakers squeaking past the Spurs, and getting DOMINATED by the Pistons? That having gotten all the way to the finals, the combined skill and determination of Kobe, Shaq, Payton (along with Fisher and all the role players) was DWARFED by Malone's knee? That's just weird, man.

I agree, that's not all that great a measuring stick, but then neither is regular-season stats compiled in different conferences. Me, I'll be drawing conclusions based on the GAMES, but I do think some of your fans are in for a big surprise.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Upset about...?

Not a Sienfeld fan huh? You used third person

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 05:02 PM
The injury was definitely a factor, but are you saying that Malone's knee was the difference between the Lakers squeaking past the Spurs, and getting DOMINATED by the Pistons? That having gotten all the way to the finals, the combined skill and determination of Kobe, Shaq, Payton (along with Fisher and all the role players) was DWARFED by Malone's knee? That's just weird, man.

I agree, that's not all that great a measuring stick, but then neither is regular-season stats compiled in different conferences. Me, I'll be drawing conclusions based on the GAMES, but I do think some of your fans are in for a big surprise.

Without Malone the Laker interior D and frontcourt rotation was messed up. Malone is a bastard, but he was a damn good one for them up to the point he was out. Without him giving them 40 minutes a night the Lakers were a significantly different team.

It's hard to pretend otherwise.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Nothing I posted was racist

lets see...

A letdown of landmark in the Alamo and lots of illegals. Will the last American out of SA please bring the flag.

Easy Chico

I know they are tough to translate. Comprende?

assuming all of us in SA are hispanic, assuming we are all dumb, assuming that we are all of the same mindset and think alike. Some racism, some just plain ignorance. Why is it that if someone disagrees with something you say..its "being touchy" but if you disagree with someone its not?

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Without Malone the Laker interior D and frontcourt rotation was messed up. Malone is a bastard, but he was a damn good one for them up to the point he was out. Without him giving them 40 minutes a night the Lakers were a significantly different team.

It's hard to pretend otherwise.

HasnothingtodowiththesmacktheSpurswillputdownthisy earonthePistons Forum

jochhejaam
06-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Its never boring when you win. :)

I appreciate that and thank you for the compliment sami. :D

GOOOOOOOOO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
06-07-2005, 05:09 PM
I'll give the Piston fans one thing -- they are consistent.

Win or lose, cars will burn.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 05:09 PM
You are welcome....it was a compliment for both teams. We hear a lot about the Spurs being boring...well, if boring means winning...I am all for it! :)

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Did Detroit burn cars last year? I know LA did, but I don't remember Detroit doing it.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Piston fan down for the count.

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2005, 05:13 PM
I thought this thread was about basketball. So much other ridiculious shit being brought into it.

back to the topic:

How can the Spurs stop us from scoring?

I'm curious to hear the Spurs will be able to contail Rip. Bowen is a great defender prolly the best in the league (other than Ben!!!) but I don't see him being able to keep up with Rips constant movement. I see Bowen gettin a few quick fouls. Manu will also spend some time coverin Rip but I think we would love that matchup.

Can Manu defend Tay. Tay has some nice post moves, and with his legnth, can even get it off over Duncan.

Ben...yes I'm gonna mention Big Ben in an offensive discussion...LOL....but seriously, if Sheed steps up like he needs to, he will demand TD attention. Ben then is open for al the little dump passes to him, and offensive rebound opportunities. I do not expect a ton from Ben. But I do think he will get us 12-15 pts a game.

Billups will be able to score on TP whenever he really wants. There is just no way he can do a thing to stop him.

If Sheed plays up to his ability, he can have a very nice balanced game both inside and out. But just don't let him get on fire w/ them 3's!

Again, I like our matchups. We all know that the Spurs are a very good team. But I think we will be able to take advantage of alot of mismatches.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 05:16 PM
If Piston fan is pinning their hopes on an offensive "mismatch" for Ben Wallace it's going to be a painful week or so for them.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Yeah, we've heard this head-to-head matchup stuff the last three teams' fans too.

We're 0-3 in the paper playoffs.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 05:18 PM
I thought this thread was about basketball. So much other ridiculious shit being brought into it.

Agreed.

My rebuttal to your very good points.

Bowen will be on Rip but Manu should take turns on him as well. Bowen, IMO, is the best perimeter defender out there. He should be able to stay with Rip. Hopefully Rip trying to stay with Manu will tire him about a bit. Billups/Parker to me is a wash. Billups is bigger but Parker is faster. Billups can't stay with Parker all the time and if Billups posts Parker up, TP is in trouble. I agree with you about Ben, Sheed and Tim. This is where Mohammed is going to come in and put a body on Ben or Rasheed. I think the Spurs bench is deeper and that is where the game is won. It will not be a cakewalk by any sense of the word.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Piston fan also seems to have forgotten (assuming they even recognize) Mohammed. Parker's a slightly better defender than Piston fan seems to understand. Billups hasn't exactly lit Parker up during their previous meetings so it's curious that all of a sudden that's such a one-sided matchup.

Spurs' team defense is the best in basketball and they've certainly faced much more offensive talent on the court than the Pistons. How exactly are the Pistons going to create any offense when they will have few opportunities to penetrate and score in transition?

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Pistons like to pick&roll some. The only pick&roll shooter that the spurs have had trouble with was Ray Allen, and yet the Spurs won that series. No way any of the Pistons can match Allen offensively, and the switchoff defender will be someone like Manu, who is a better defender than most of the players in the Eastern Conf.

Oh, yeah - Spurs won that series, even with Allen going nuts and scoring every time he touched the ball.

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2005, 05:23 PM
He should be able to stay with Rip. Hopefully Rip trying to stay with Manu will tire him about a bit.

I kind of expect to see Tay on Manu. Hopefully his legnth will cause some problems for Manu, and not wear out Rip.

And Mohammed:

I remember thinking how good a pickup that was when it happened. He is SOLID. he can in fact make things much more difficult.

06-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Down for what count? The original premise of this topic was you talking about how Detroit's O was overrated. Yeah, it makes no sense because no one ever said they had a top flight O.

So I guess the real question is, when did the Spurs get such a great O? I know you all all are feeling good after the Suns' series, but they couldn't spell, let alone play, defense if I spotted them the D and the fense. Who then have they played with a good defense? The Pacers, Heat and 76ers were 5th, 8th and 19th respectively in PPG allowed. The Sonics, Nuggets, and Suns were 13th, 17th and 30th.

These games will be low scoring, mostly in the half-court sets, and probably 4 of the games decided in the last 4 minutes of each game.

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
These games will be low scoring, mostly in the half-court sets, and probably 4 of the games decided in the last 4 minutes of each game.

My buddy must have never seen how the Spurs got their two championships in the first place.

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
has anyone seen Det's recent record at S.A.? its pisspoor

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Prince can pose problems with his length yet can he stay in front of a Ginobili? I think Prince's size will work against him. The ideal defense against a Ginobili is someone a bit smaller who is quick and agile enough to stick with him from point A to point B.

samikeyp
I kind of expect to see Tay on Manu. Hopefully his legnth will cause some problems for Manu, and not wear out Rip.

Good point...but Manu can do some crazy shit! :)

samikeyp

I can see that. Anyone on either side that predicts a blowout is way off base.

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2005, 05:28 PM

I don't think it will be as low scoring as ppl think. I think well see scores right around the low 90's for most games. It won't be some 70 -74 tyope game that media is complaining about.

As for the last 4 minutes: you're exactly right!

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Down for what count? The original premise of this topic was you talking about how Detroit's O was overrated. Yeah, it makes no sense because no one ever said they had a top flight O.

The point is that the game is more likely to be decided on the other end of the court where the Pistons' less than stellar offense faces the best defense in the NBA. It's an error of ommission, not commission in the sports media.

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 05:30 PM
you're

a pistons fan that uses the correct "you're" wow thats amazing
you actually dont sound like eminem or kid rock

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Really, when was the last time there was a riot in SA? Your city almost single handedly ruined the NBA.

06-07-2005, 05:35 PM
The point is that the game is more likely to be decided on the other end of the court where the Pistons' less than stellar offense faces the best defense in the NBA. It's an error of ommission, not commission in the sports media.

I think their O will surprise you in G1...

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Did Detroit burn cars last year? I know LA did, but I don't remember Detroit doing it.
a few people lost their lives.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 05:37 PM
I think their O will surprise you in G1...

Then the Spurs' O & D will surprise you even more...

Extra Stout
06-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Really, when was the last time there was a riot in SA? Your city almost single handedly ruined the NBA.Well, we Spurs fans start drinking so early we can hardly stand up by game's end, much less start a riot.

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, we Spurs fans start drinking so early we can hardly stand up by game's end, much less start a riot.

You're damn right :lol

06-07-2005, 05:41 PM
a few people lost their lives.

Sport me a link, because that is complete horseshit.

06-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Then the Spurs' O & D will surprise you even more...

Nah, it won't. The Pistons will have a tough time scoring, as will the Spurs.

I'd only be surprised if anybody broke the century mark...

bigzak25
06-07-2005, 05:48 PM
The Pacers, Heat and 76ers were 5th, 8th and 19th respectively in PPG allowed. The Sonics, Nuggets, and Suns were 13th, 17th and 30th..

good stat. gonna be a tough series ahead. :smokin

Extra Stout
06-07-2005, 05:57 PM
So I guess the real question is, when did the Spurs get such a great O? I know you all all are feeling good after the Suns' series, but they couldn't spell, let alone play, defense if I spotted them the D and the fense. Who then have they played with a good defense? The Pacers, Heat and 76ers were 5th, 8th and 19th respectively in PPG allowed. The Sonics, Nuggets, and Suns were 13th, 17th and 30th.

Just FYI, points allowed per 100 possessions is a better barometer of defense thann points allowed per game, because teams play at different paces. Your basic point stands, however:

Heat - 5th, Pacers - 11th, Sixers - 10th;
Suns - 16th, Sonics - 25th, Nuggets - 8th.

06-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Just FYI, points allowed per 100 possessions is a better barometer of defense thann points allowed per game, because teams play at different paces. Your basic point stands, however:

Heat - 5th, Pacers - 11th, Sixers - 10th;
Suns - 16th, Sonics - 25th, Nuggets - 8th.

Thanks...where did you get that stat?

Extra Stout
06-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks...where did you get that stat?

Here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/

This site also has cool stuff:

http://www.82games.com/

pjjrfan
06-07-2005, 06:22 PM
I think the Spurs on offense have executed better than anyone in these playoffs. In almost every victory they made the plays both on defense and offense to get their wins. I don't think it will be an easy series for the Spurs but I like their chances, especially since the team has been getting stronger and stronger as the playoffs went along. The Pistons with one or two additions, are bringing the exact same team from last years run, the Spurs are bringing in a different team from the one that lost to them just 2 months ago. I just like how they have been coming together through all kinds of adversity.

mavsfan1000
06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Is San Antonio better without Turkoglu?

BillsCarnage
06-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Geez, after browsing through most of this thread there are a number of chumps on both sides of the fence.

SA is the better overall team, but as Rudy T said, "Don't ever doubt the heart of a champion." If Det. plays D like they have the past two games the Spurs could be in trouble.

NameDropper
06-07-2005, 06:54 PM
With Rip Hamilton alone they are a good offensive team.
Detroit will be tough as a mofo to beat.

spurster
06-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Pistons like to pick&roll some. The only pick&roll shooter that the spurs have had trouble with was Ray Allen, and yet the Spurs won that series.
^^^
missed series with the Suns

Experiment2100
06-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Geez, after browsing through most of this thread there are a number of chumps on both sides of the fence.

SA is the better overall team, but as Rudy T said, "Don't ever doubt the heart of a champion." If Det. plays D like they have the past two games the Spurs could be in trouble.

Don't underestimate the heart of a champion.

Sense
06-07-2005, 07:08 PM
^^^
missed series with the Suns

hahahahah yeah he did...and so did most of the idiots in these forums claiming their team might win easily in SA.

PistonFreak
06-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Prince can pose problems with his length yet can he stay in front of a Ginobili? I think Prince's size will work against him. The ideal defense against a Ginobili is someone a bit smaller who is quick and agile enough to stick with him from point A to point B.

LOL.....Lindsey Hunter.

mavsfan1000
06-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Lindsay Hunter sucks on offense though. He won't be playing much so he won't be a factor.

LilMissSPURfect
06-07-2005, 07:31 PM

I don't see the EAST is BEST .....anywhere...

West Worst = East BEST!

TwoHandJam
06-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm curious to hear the Spurs will be able to contail Rip. Bowen is a great defender prolly the best in the league (other than Ben!!!) but I don't see him being able to keep up with Rips constant movement. I see Bowen gettin a few quick fouls. Manu will also spend some time coverin Rip but I think we would love that matchup.Rip was terrible against Bowen this year. What do you have to say to that?

Bowen shut him down pretty badly and Manu is no slouch on defense either. He can be just as effective as Bowen in small doses. Don't think Rip couldn't end up in foul trouble real quick guarding Manu either.

Personally I think Ben is a great weak side defender but just an average one-on-one defender. Bowen is the more talented one-on-one defender. The fact that Sheed will guard Duncan more than Ben bears this out.

Brodels
06-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Resorting to city smack? And from people defending the one of the dumpiest cities in the country? Detroit has been at the forefront of civil unrest for a century. It's got its issues. Talking city smack while defending Detroit? Lol...

Back to basketball:

In my mind, the Prince/Ginobili matchup will be key. I really feel like Prince can slow Manu down with those long arms and good lateral movement. Prince can also score some points if the Pistons run some things for him. I can see the advantage the Spurs have with that matchup turning out to be smaller than many think. Advantage Spurs, but not by much.

The Pistons also have the capability to cover Duncan pretty well. Rasheed always does a good job against him and Wallace is a very good help defender. Tim will have to be patient, but he always does a good job with that.

Even so, the Spurs have so many options offensively. They've certainly got more than they've had in the past. Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan are great creators. Barry, Beno, and Horry can shoot the ball. And Nazr, Glenn, and Bruce can get you points if they are put in the right situation.

This series will be the toughest yet for the Spurs, but I still don't see how the Pistons can score enough points to win. They will need big contributions every night from two of these players: Prince, Hamilton, and Billups. I'm not sure it's going to happen.

But it could. The Spurs should win the series, but the Pistons are capable of winning it.

MiNuS
06-07-2005, 08:11 PM
after todays announcement from GM firing 25,000 employees in next few years and Ford plain sucking,Detroit is ONE dangerous place!

Peace be with us.

5ToolMan
06-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Pistons were:

17th in FG% (44.%)

You have to factor that the Spurs play 66% of their games in the West, while the Pistons get 66% of their games in the East. Because the West is more wide open, the Spurs perhaps are a little more ahead of the Pistons on defense, and the Pistons may not be as far behind the Spurs on offense as you project.

While the Pistons sometimes appear to go flat on offense, as Spurs fans of the last several half-court imposed years, we should understand. The Piston's increase their odds of victory by forcing teams into the half court, and against all of the East they can do just that. And when you focus mostly on defense, the offense can become off balance.

Just as the Spurs were forced to show different colors against the Suns, the Pistons will have to prove they can push the ball against the Spurs, if they are going to stay in this series for long.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 08:39 PM
LOL.....Lindsey Hunter.

Please put Hunter on Ginobili.

EdgeX
06-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Please put Hunter on Ginobili.

I can't wait till we do, Hunter can't play offense for crap, but that boy can defend and whenever he was on the court against Wade, Wade struggled. Unless you are saying Ginobili is better than Wade, in which case. :lol

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Ginobili's a little bit bigger than Wade. If we were talking about Parker you might have a point.

Hunter isn't that great, Piston fan.

zedman
06-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Wow, amazing insight. Not only resonable and fair but accurate and with facts to back you up. Golly, I guess we're screwed after all. :sleep

06-07-2005, 09:02 PM
You have to factor that the Spurs play 66% of their games in the West, while the Pistons get 66% of their games in the East. Because the West is more wide open, the Spurs perhaps are a little more ahead of the Pistons on defense, and the Pistons may not be as far behind the Spurs on offense as you project.

While the Pistons sometimes appear to go flat on offense, as Spurs fans of the last several half-court imposed years, we should understand. The Piston's increase their odds of victory by forcing teams into the half court, and against all of the East they can do just that. And when you focus mostly on defense, the offense can become off balance.

Just as the Spurs were forced to show different colors against the Suns, the Pistons will have to prove they can push the ball against the Spurs, if they are going to stay in this series for long.

Don't believe the hype. Six of the top ten scoring teams came from the EC.

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Do Pistons fans remember that in the first matchup this season, the Pistons didn't score a field goal from 7 seconds left in the second quarter until 4:30 left in the third quarter?

Do you guys attribute that to just a fluke of a scoring drought? Or do you think the Spurs just shut you down?

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Do Pistons fans remember that in the first matchup this season, the Pistons didn't score a field goal from 7 seconds left in the second quarter until 4:30 left in the third quarter?

Do you guys attribute that to just a fluke of a scoring drought? Or do you think the Spurs just shut you down?

Yep ....it was a fluke!!

LOL! :lol couldn't help myself!

EdgeX
06-07-2005, 09:24 PM

It wasn't the playoffs :spin

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
:lol

I only brought it up because out of the 2000 posts or so in the last 24 hours, I haven't see a Pistons or a Spurs fan mention it.

It was one of those beautiful shut down stretches that the Spurs had several of this season (and the Pistons have too).

I know that some people are concentrating on offense (and yes, 4th quarter execution is going to be vital) but these beautiful stretches of just simply shut down D are going to be great.

geerussell
06-07-2005, 09:25 PM

The "scoring drought" issue comes up before every pistons matchup and sure enough, the pistons end up having a few of them and they go on to win anyway. It's just one of those things. What seldom is mentioned in conjuction with that is the pistons tendency to go on scoring runs too.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:27 PM
The "scoring drought" issue comes up before every pistons matchup and sure enough, the pistons end up having a few of them and they go on to win anyway. It's just one of those things. What seldom is mentioned in conjuction with that is the pistons tendency to go on scoring runs too.

Apparently it is rather difficult for the Pistons to go on one of those "scoring runs" against the best defense in the NBA.

Imagine that.

06-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Apparently it is rather difficult for the Pistons to go on one of those "scoring runs" against the best defense in the NBA.

Imagine that.

Apparently they rallied from a 21 point deficit to cut it to 1.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=241203024

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Still lost. And fuck, the Spurs spotted you Rasho Nesterovic in the starting lineup.

geerussell
06-07-2005, 09:35 PM

Imagine that.

Imagination... as in yours, being the operative word.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 09:39 PM
all teams go on runs during games and experience droughts. its not exclusive to one team.

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 09:41 PM
all teams go on runs during games and experience droughts. its not exclusive to one team.

Droughts for almost a quarter are not commonplace. But the Spurs (and the Pistons) have had (and caused) quite a few of them.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 09:42 PM
yup.....Denver Game 1 comes to mind

jochhejaam
06-07-2005, 09:42 PM

We chopped down AI
We chopped down Jermaine
We chopped down shaq and wade..
I'd call that flexible

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Still lost. Even with Rasho and without Nazr...

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:44 PM
We chopped down AI
We chopped down Jermaine
We chopped down shaq and wade..
I'd call that flexible

Ha. Chop down the MVP and the best offense in the NBA? Piston fan needs to watch more basketball.

EdgeX
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Ha. Chop down the MVP and the best offense in the NBA? Piston fan needs to watch more basketball.

At least they know how to play defense unlike the Suns, which were a joke in the defensive category.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 09:47 PM
At least they know how to play defense unlike the Suns, which were a joke in the defensive category.

Something else we can agree on! :)

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:48 PM
None of those play it as well as the Spurs.

EdgeX
06-07-2005, 09:54 PM
None of those play it as well as the Spurs.

And none of the teams you've played play it as well as the Pistons. Bottomline is all this speculation about who did what against who is foolish, we both haven't played teams like each other. It's going to be Spurs vs Pistons, not the Pistons that played the Heat, or beat the Lakers last year vs. the Spurs that played the Suns, or lost to the Lakers last year.

Like I said earlier, I think this series could go either way, and it's gonna come down to who wants it more and who performs. Not who did what against who in the past.

ducks
06-09-2005, 11:32 PM
BUMB :hat

ducks
06-09-2005, 11:48 PM
spurs score 80 they win

SPARKY
06-11-2005, 02:46 PM
2005 NBA Finals Game 1

69 points
29-77 FG
37.7% FG%
1-6 3pt FG
16.7% 3pt FG%
15 assists
10-14 FT
71.4%

2005 Playoff Avgs
(note: includes Finals Game 1 stats)

90.5 points per game
43.5% FG%
34.5% 3pt FG%
20.9 assists per game
23.8 FT attempts per game

SPARKY
06-12-2005, 11:59 PM
2005 NBA Finals Game 2

76 points
33-82 FG
40.2% FG%
0-6 3pt FG
0.0% 3pt FG%
17 assists
10-16 FT
62.5%

06-15-2005, 12:20 AM
I'll help you out Sparky...

2005 NBA Finals Game 3

96 points
40-85 FG
47.1% FG%
3-14 3pt FG
21.4% 3pt FG%
22 assists
13-17 FT
76.5%

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 12:24 AM
One game. Too bad for you it doesn't erase the prior two.

Sense
06-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Indeed.. enjoy this win..

I don't see you guys winning by such a large margin again..

Not with Duncan And Ginobili actually playing..

06-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Man, you guys sure get testy after a loss...

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 12:29 AM
...and you get just a tad bit too excited.

06-15-2005, 12:30 AM
...and you get just a tad bit too excited.

That's a reach. All I did was post game stats ala what you did...

Sense
06-15-2005, 12:31 AM
That's a reach. All I did was post game stats ala what you did...

Because we owned you for 2 straight games...

06-15-2005, 12:34 AM
Because we owned you for 2 straight games...

:lol :lol

Hmmm...you are gonna have to explain this to me. How is that me getting excited, rather, way too excited about this win?

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 12:36 AM
I don't know, man. Some of us don't hang around in the fan forums of our favorite team's opponent at all hours of the night.

But whatever makes you feel better, I guess.