PDA

View Full Version : Pre-emptive refs suck thread

DDS4
06-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I hope the refs behave themselves and not try to take over the game. You have two great teams playing, so don't screw it up (*cough* Bavetta *cough* Salvatore *cough*).

Let them play.

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm not gonna jinx us by talking ref-smack before we've even played a game this series.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Good to see that Ray Allen has found his way to the forum. Welcome!!! :)

mookie2001
06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
the lame thing is you know

BENNETE SALVATORE will ref at least 1 game

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I think the refs will let Detroit play physical which could benefit them more than San Antonio.

Rematch+Repeat=Revenge
06-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Haven't you heard about the NBA-wide conspiracy against the Pistons?

samikeyp
06-09-2005, 12:44 PM
refs don't win or lose games...players do.

MiNuS
06-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Its a conspiracy!

fine me!

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't think it is that clear. Players can put themselves in positon to lose and then the ref takes the game away from them or vice versa.

SpursWoman
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Good to see that Ray Allen has found his way to the forum. Welcome!!! :)

:lmao

mookie2001
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM

GAMES!
youre wrong

youve never seen a game where tim plays 5 min in the first half, and the opponents are in the penalty down the stretch and steve nash or kobe gets a touch foul called for them right across the halfcourt line, thats 2 free points for guys like that, and the refs know it

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 12:51 PM
For you conspiracy theorists, here's some info. There will be 12 officials involved in the Finals. Each will call be on the floor in one of the first 4 games; three of the six from games 1 & 2 will do Game 5; three of the six from games 2 & 3 will call Game 6; three of the six from games 3 & 4 will call Game 7, if we get that far.

Now, here's an educated guess. I think the 12 officials who will call the Finals will be (in alphabetical order):

1. Dick Bavetta
2. Mike Callahan
3. Dan Crawford
4. Joey Crawford
5. Bob Delaney
6. Joe Derosa
7. Bernie Fryer
8. Ron Garretson
9. Steve Javie
10. Jack Nies
11. Eddie F. Rush
12. Bennett Salvatore

I'd think 11 of those are lead-pipe locks, and I'm almost 100% certain that Jack Nies won't be booted to the curb yet. If one of those guys doesn't make the cut, I'd think that the only other possibilities would be: Greg Willard, Tom Washington, or Bill Spooner.

Now, you can go to town debating your conspiracy theories, knowing who the conspirators will likely be.

samikeyp
06-09-2005, 12:53 PM
It is that clear. Refs don't make you miss shots or free throws or make you throw the ball away. They make bad calls but players have to adjust and move on.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 01:02 PM
It is that clear. Refs don't make you miss shots or free throws or make you throw the ball away. They make bad calls but players have to adjust and move on.

I agree 100%. It's frustrating when the officials miss calls, but it's also frustrating when Tim misses free throws and when Manu makes bad passes. Somehow, when players make mistakes, we see them as nothing other than mistakes and allow that because they're human. When officials make mistakes, though, we accuse them of being in the midst of some conspiracy, apparently believing them to be superhuman robots.

mikey's right -- players win and lose games. Period.

bdubya
06-09-2005, 01:28 PM
I(*cough* Bavetta *cough* Salvatore *cough*).

Wait..I thought that us Pistons fans were the ones that hated those guys....

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 01:37 PM
no Bavetta and Salvatore are hated by fans of any fundamental,defensive minded team.

zedman
06-09-2005, 01:38 PM
the lame thing is you know

BENNETE SALVATORE will ref at least 1 game

Could this be the game that the Spurs loose?

zedman
06-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I agree 100%. It's frustrating when the officials miss calls, but it's also frustrating when Tim misses free throws and when Manu makes bad passes. Somehow, when players make mistakes, we see them as nothing other than mistakes and allow that because they're human. When officials make mistakes, though, we accuse them of being in the midst of some conspiracy, apparently believing them to be superhuman robots.

mikey's right -- players win and lose games. Period.

Even when you are on the bench with your 6th foul because the guy you are guarding slips on a wet spot?

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Both teams are similar so I'll assume the refs are similar and won't be bias. 2 classy organizations might follow decent refs.

combs84
06-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Haven't you heard about the NBA-wide conspiracy against the Pistons?

That was only to prevent us from getting to the finals. :) If anything the NBA would rather us beat the Spurs right now, as a back to back champion is more appealing to the league.

The officiating in the finals should simmer down though, the NBA doesn't want a Championship slowed down boring game. You will probably see a lot of stuff allowed that would normally be called a foul. Besides Bruce Bowen that probably benefits the Pistons more.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm not gonna jinx us by talking ref-smack before we've even played a game this series.

I agree 100%, but I have to say in advance, that was clearly a blocking foul. Wallace had a foot on the line of that little arc under the basket. No way that's an offensive foul on Parker.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Even when you are on the bench with your 6th foul because the guy you are guarding slips on a wet spot?

That was a case where a young official (Bennie Adams) made a mistake.

While I agree that the call was bad, I don't see how you can argue that the bad call determined the outcome. When faced with a bad call (a mistake by an official), the rest of the Spurs chose to play better, made some shots, and won the game. It's proof positive of mikey's point.

samikeyp
06-09-2005, 02:08 PM

So...the other five were bad calls too?