PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Dallas Mavs is like the 2007 San Antonio Spurs

NickiRasgo
06-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Before that, congrats to the Mavs, they deserved it. :toast Esp. to Dirk.

Some comparisons:

2007 Spurs:
-#1 (Mavs) in the West defeated by the #8 (Warriors)
-3rd in the West
-Defeated the so-called "Next MJ" in the Finals
-Both played "D"

2011 Mavs:
-#1 (Spurs) in the West defeated by the #8 (Grizzlies)
-3rd in the West
-Defeated the so-called "Next MJ" in the Finals
-Both played "D"

But honestly, I still like the Road To The Finals of 2011 Mavs because, first, they're playing without Butler who is offensive threat for the Mavs but I think it's look better with Marion but it defends, second is that they defeated the Defending Champs Lakers, swept and lastly, they defeated the most over-hyped team entering to the 2010-2011 NBA Season in the NBA Finals. Congrats again Mavs. :lobt2:

TJastal
06-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Wasn't Mike Brown a rookie coach back in 2007 with the cavs? If so that would be another similiarity (Spoelstra being a rookie coach too).

I'll tell ya one key difference though

Rick Carlisle is a much superior coach who also motivates his players as opposed to "It's not my job to motivate, they're professionals" Gregg Popovich

TJastal
06-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Good thread, btw :tu

NZ Spurs
06-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Rick Carlisle is a much superior coach who also motivates his players as opposed to "It's not my job to motivate, they're professionals" Gregg Popovich

Your 4.52 posts per day make this board hard to read.

PBEEZY
06-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Mavs had a tougher road

NickiRasgo
06-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Mavs had a tougher road

Yeah, agreed with that, Mavs deserves it though I don't even want Mavs to win it all this year. :lol But I think, rooting Dirk is still better than to root the team who said that "It's going to be easy." :lol

thispego
06-13-2011, 08:00 AM
the similarities that you mentioned are the ONLY similarities

Seventyniner
06-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Mavs starting SF goes down for the season, they win the title.
Grizzlies starting SF goes down for the season, they take out the 1 seed and push OKC to 7.

Someone needs to take a bat to RJ's knee sometime next February.

ajballer4
06-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Spo wasnt a rookie coach. But he was a rookie to the finals if thats what you mean

Sportcamper
06-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Wasn’t 2007 the lowest NBA finals rating in the history of the NBA? Come On! This was a great NBA finals…The Mavericks are true champions…Don’t compare the Mavericks to a team of floppers & whiners… :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Actually these Finals didn't get the ratings the networks were hoping for. With all the hype the Heat receive I'm also shocked the ratings weren't higher. The Spurs are treated like the ugly stepchild in the media...no wonder their ratings were poor.

Brutalis
06-13-2011, 12:12 PM
How were the ratings bad? Last I heard it set an NBA Finals record for TV ratings?

Maddog
06-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Lot of similarities
Spurs won with a team 196k over the lux cap over a team
The Mavs win with a team ~ 17 million over
Spurs beat a team built through the draft and trades.
Mavs beat a team that was created through free agency

Nick Manning
06-13-2011, 12:25 PM
2007 = Easiest title run in NBA history. 3/4 teams were overrated dogshit, and the only competitive series Donaghy put his imprint on.

2011 = One of the hardest finals runs ever

Texas Chili Dog
06-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I said the same thing before the Finals started.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180605

:D :lobt2:

baseline bum
06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
2009 = easiest title run in nba history. 3/4 teams were missing their top players, and the only decent series one team couldn't inbound the ball.

2011 = one of the hardest finals runs ever

fify

ohmwrecker
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
fify

I still don't agree. Not to take anything away from the Mavs, but even Terry said that the first round vs the Blazers was their toughest series. The Lakers were literally pushed over and OKC had a pretty physical series with Memphis. The Heat were obviously overhyped, overrated and totally gave up in the 4th of game 6.

One of the "hardest finals run ever" . . . I don't think so. Also, anyone who goes to the Donaghy well to discredit any championship team is bringing a weak take. That's been well established, tbh.

Anything to discredit the Spurs though. Right?!

Nick Manning
06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Nothing comes close to 2007: Denver...one-and-done 5 years in a row. Didn't you play the Iverson Nuggets? crofl...yeah...

Phoenix Suns...A documented tainted Game 3 (which is how the scandal started), then shady ejections after a dirty Horry play. I love how Spurfans stick their head in the sand on this (the post above). Game 6 2002 WCF was rigged too, but Lakerfans don't hide from it...they take the gift. Spur fans can't face reality in that series.

Utah Jazz in the conference finals :lmao Wasn't Deron a rookie? Dallas would've swept them easily, GS did their work for them.

2007 Cleveland Cavaliers: The absolute worst Finals participant since the 70s (maybe even beyond that). The fucking Clippers would've beat that team.

San Antonio should thank their lucky stars for Donaghy and the Golden St. Warriors. They won that title for you.

ohmwrecker
06-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Nothing comes close to 2007: Denver...one-and-done 5 years in a row. Didn't you play the Iverson Nuggets? crofl...yeah...

Barring game 5, those were all pretty close games. I don't get the "crofl", tbh. The Nuggets were a legit playoff team. I realize you have a trolling agenda here, but it was a good 3/6 match-up, to be fair.

Phoenix Suns...A documented tainted Game 3 (which is how the scandal started), then shady ejections after a dirty Horry play. I love how Spurfans stick their head in the sand on this (the post above). Game 6 2002 WCF was rigged too, but Lakerfans don't hide from it...they take the gift. Spur fans can't face reality in that series.

This one has been discussed ad nauseum, so there is nothing new that will be brought to the table here, but this series was brutal on both teams. Did the Spurs catch a break with the suspensions? Obviously, they did. However, everyone forgets Phoenix actually won that game. The Spurs barely won game 5 and in game 6 Phoenix got Amare & Diaw back in time to push a game 7, but couldn't get it done. Tough series though.

As far as the Donaghy thing goes . . . we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I feel he has been completely and totally discredited. He is a proven liar. You can't lend credence to a portion of his story just because it is convenient for your argument. He has no credibility.

Utah Jazz in the conference finals :lmao Wasn't Deron a rookie? Dallas would've swept them easily, GS did their work for them.

I have to say that the Jazz were the Spurs easiest WC opponent on that run, but you are still talking about a Jerry Sloan coached team with some really good players. The Spurs were just rolling at that point. They had a ton of momentum. The game 3 lapse withstanding.

2007 Cleveland Cavaliers: The absolute worst Finals participant since the 70s (maybe even beyond that). The fucking Clippers would've beat that team.

The Cavs were overmatched for sure. No argument here. The Spurs did the work to get there though. The '07 Spurs was a great team regardless of their opponent. Trying to discredit that accomplishment just smacks of bitterness and envy. Alluding to an argument that the Mavs would have beat the Spurs had they not been soundly beat in the first round by the Warriors is ludicrous and laughable.

I wouldn't say that this year's Spurs would've beat the Mavs if they hadn't lost to the Grizzlies because it is equally stupid. Just enjoy your championship (I mean let Mavfan enjoy their championship, DD) and let it go. Your agenda is obvious.

Nick Manning
06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
So much bullshit in a single post, impressive. "We're going to have to agree to disagree." A spurfan refusing to accept the 2007 gift, there's a shocker. I'd have better luck convincing the Jonestown residents not to drink the Kool-Aid then to get "Some" spurfans to accept the truth. Going with the "He's been discredited" angle was another obvious touch. Two words: Jose Canseco...he was a discredited rat, turns out he was right though! You're sticking your head in the sand. Man up and accept the obvious gift.

Trying to sell the Nuggets as a tough matchup just proves that you are a helpless homer. Did Denver win more than 1 game in those 5 straight first round exits? If they did, my bad, I just don't recall. The Iverson Nuggets were an embarrassing mess. FACT.

The Utah Jazz are a "Jerry Sloan coached team blah blah blah." Yeah, the Lakers beat the shit out them with increasing ease for 3 straight years...and Deron wasn't a rookie, either.

:cry :cry :cry "Trying to discredit the Spurs" :cry :cry :cry.

They won, good for them...happy? They had the easiest title run out of any team in the last 2 decades. Only 1/4 opponents was an upper-echelon team and they were put behind the eightball by a ref trying to settle mob debts. Congrats, they still won the games though.

Your credibility is already severely in question for your incessant RJ flag-waving throughout the year. You're a known uber-homer, so your view of things is definitely skewed.

thispego
06-13-2011, 11:20 PM
2007 was the weskest playoff run of opponents of their 4 championships, and many spurs fans would tell you, their 4th favortite run. 2005 was hard as shit.

Nick Manning
06-13-2011, 11:22 PM
2007 was the weskest playoff run of opponents of their 4 championships, and many spurs fans would tell you, their 4th favortite run. 2005 was hard as shit.

2003 and 2005 were GREAT playoff runs.

Sean Cagney
06-13-2011, 11:40 PM

San Antonio should thank their lucky stars for Donaghy and the Golden St. Warriors. They won that title for you.

Didn't you say you were a Spurs fan before? Obviously not! Donaghy was in one game there yes where the Spurs got some calls, but he didn't make the bad ones as a video showed! Spurs controlled that game 4 against the SUns, blew their lead though like they would at times! Suns had all back for game 6 and got blown out! Debateable if they would have won or not, period!
2003 and 2005 were GREAT playoff runs.

I see there, kay I agree with you there those runs were GREAT PLAYOFF RUNS! 07 was our easiest by far and our fans least favorite! I forget alot of those playoffs, where as the other two runs you mention I remember ALL OF IT! Those were their KEY RUNS.

Nick Manning
06-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Didn't you say you were a Spurs fan before? Obviously not! Donaghy was in one game there yes where the Spurs got some calls, but he didn't make the bad ones as a video showed! Spurs controlled that game 4 against the SUns, blew their lead though like they would at times! Suns had all back for game 6 and got blown out! Debateable if they would have won or not, period!

I see there, kay I agree with you there those runs were GREAT PLAYOFF RUNS! 07 was our easiest by far and our fans least favorite! I forget alot of those playoffs, where as the other two runs you mention I remember ALL OF IT! Those were their KEY RUNS.

There's no shame in accepting that 2007 was easy as shit. It was a down year for the NBA. 2007 is remembered for Game 5 ECF and GSW-DAL. Spurs are good in those tweener years (1999, 2007). A title's a title.

Nick Manning
06-13-2011, 11:48 PM
btw, Donaghy officiated Game 3, not 4...Game 4 was the Horry play/cheap suspensions game.

Solid D
06-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Wasn’t 2007 the lowest NBA finals rating in the history of the NBA? Come On! This was a great NBA finals…

Probably, true. Watching a hot knife cut swiftly through butter isn't much to watch and it's over with very quickly.

xellos88330
06-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Probably, true. Watching a hot knife cut swiftly through butter isn't much to watch and it's over with very quickly.

It was like the game was over before it even began. The Spurs were on a completely different level than any other team after eliminating the Suns. After them, the Jazz and Cavs were completely crushed. There were times when I actually was feeling sorry for the Jazz and Cavs because it was just embarassingly easy for the Spurs.

It was painful to watch on behalf of the other team, but it is awesome watching a great team play some great ball.

Findog
06-14-2011, 12:59 AM
But honestly, I still like the Road To The Finals of 2011 Mavs because, first, they're playing without Butler who is offensive threat for the Mavs :

Losing Butler was a blessing in disguise. He's a ballstopper who likes to iso too much. That would have killed out offensive synergy.

Jacob1983
06-14-2011, 01:43 AM
No offense to the Mavs, but Dirk didn't have as much help as Duncan had in 2007. And let's not forget that Parker was the MVP in 2007. Spurs had Bowen, Manu, Parker, and Duncan all still in their prime or maybe some at the end of their prime in that Finals. Mavs had to play two hostile arenas - Rose Garden and OKC arena. Mavs also had to dethrone the two time defending champs and three time defending western conference champs. And the hardest thing of all for the Mavs was to beat the Heat. Let's be honest, when you choke like the Mavs did in 2006, it's extremely difficult to ever bounce back from something like that. And the Mavs did not have homecourt advantage in the Finals.

mariners
06-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Lot of similarities
Spurs won with a team 196k over the lux cap over a team
The Mavs win with a team ~ 17 million over
Spurs beat a team built through the draft and trades.
Mavs beat a team that was created through free agency
??????
J Kidd (trade)
Stevenson (trade)
Marion (sign and trade)
Dirk (mavs lifer)
TC (Trade)
Jet (been with mavs for while)
JJB (been with mavs since being undrafted)
Peja (free agent in season)
Cardinal (free agent)
Mahimni (free agent)
Haywood (trade)

Chieflion
06-14-2011, 05:04 AM
No offense to the Mavs, but Dirk didn't have as much help as Duncan had in 2007. And let's not forget that Parker was the MVP in 2007. Spurs had Bowen, Manu, Parker, and Duncan all still in their prime or maybe some at the end of their prime in that Finals. Mavs had to play two hostile arenas - Rose Garden and OKC arena. Mavs also had to dethrone the two time defending champs and three time defending western conference champs. And the hardest thing of all for the Mavs was to beat the Heat. Let's be honest, when you choke like the Mavs did in 2006, it's extremely difficult to ever bounce back from something like that. And the Mavs did not have homecourt advantage in the Finals.

Sure there isn't. All the offense has been directed to the Spurs. No, I'm just kidding.

But seriously, as hostile as the Rose Garden and OKC arena have been, the Spurs faced the Utah Jazz in the conference finals, and of course they are infamous for all their antics. The Denver Nuggets were quite hostile themselves too. Not to mention the debacle that should have never happened against Phoenix, their fans were quite rowdy too. The Suns were also the supposed "favorites" after the Mavs got knocked out.

Of course Duncan had more help in the form of 2 other stars in Parker and Ginobili. The 3 of them carried the biggest load, with Bowen on the defensive side of the court. The bench however, was mediocre at best with the exception of Finley (his last season actually being good). The Mavs, although lacking star power after Dirk, had Terry, Barea and other key role players stepping up big in a series or 2.

Maddog
06-14-2011, 06:18 AM
??????
J Kidd (trade)
Stevenson (trade)
Marion (sign and trade)
Dirk (mavs lifer)
TC (Trade)
Jet (been with mavs for while)
JJB (been with mavs since being undrafted)
Peja (free agent in season)
Cardinal (free agent)
Mahimni (free agent)
Haywood (trade)
Mavs beat a team through built through free agency
Not the Mavs built through free agency

ohmwrecker
06-14-2011, 10:39 AM
So much bullshit in a single post, impressive. "We're going to have to agree to disagree." A spurfan refusing to accept the 2007 gift, there's a shocker. I'd have better luck convincing the Jonestown residents not to drink the Kool-Aid then to get "Some" spurfans to accept the truth. Going with the "He's been discredited" angle was another obvious touch. Two words: Jose Canseco...he was a discredited rat, turns out he was right though! You're sticking your head in the sand. Man up and accept the obvious gift.

:lol wtf does Jose Canseco have to do with Tim Donaghy? Do I really have to explain how that is a horrible comparison? Canseco selling books is exactly like a criminal facing jail . . . brilliant.

I accept the gift. I never said 2007 wasn't the Spurs easiest path to a championship. It most definitely was, but how does that translate into the '07 Spurs being a bad basketball team, or that they don't deserve the title. I could easily say the same about the '09 Lakers.

Trying to sell the Nuggets as a tough matchup just proves that you are a helpless homer. Did Denver win more than 1 game in those 5 straight first round exits? If they did, my bad, I just don't recall. The Iverson Nuggets were an embarrassing mess. FACT.

They did. The Spurs weren't the only team to benefit from a playoff match-up with the Nuggets. I'm sure you can think of at least one other team . . . of course that team failed to win the championship in '08.

The Utah Jazz are a "Jerry Sloan coached team blah blah blah." Yeah, the Lakers beat the shit out them with increasing ease for 3 straight years...and Deron wasn't a rookie, either.

That's the team! I couldn't remember. Increasing ease? The Spurs beat them in 5 games (with one fluke bad game). The Lakers? 6 games. And there weren't any blowouts either. Of course Deron wasn't a rookie . . .

They won, good for them...happy? They had the easiest title run out of any team in the last 2 decades. Only 1/4 opponents was an upper-echelon team and they were put behind the eightball by a ref trying to settle mob debts. Congrats, they still won the games though.

:lol "upper-echelon"

Where's the proof outside of a criminal's testimony who was doing anything he could to avoid jail and save face? The evidence is circumstantial. What do you have? +9 free throws? The Spurs beat the spread? A missed charge call? Seriously . . . what occurred in game 3 that was atypical of an average playoff game?

I don't give a guy like Donaghy the credit to pull off what you are implying he did. As much as I would love to discredit the '02 Lakers for the same thing, I just can't. It's too preposterous. And, the '02 WCF had a shit load more egregious calls and missed calls than the Spurs/Suns . . . it's not even close.

Your credibility is already severely in question for your incessant RJ flag-waving throughout the year. You're a known uber-homer, so your view of things is definitely skewed.

There was no incessant RJ flag waving. That has been completely overblown by posters like DPG and Harlem. I must admit, that I definitely exacerbated the situation by engaging those guys in some (assumed) good-natured trash talk.
Everything I said about RJ came to pass. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to sustain the improvement for a variety of reasons. I always admit when I am wrong just as much as I "scoreboard" when I am right. I am critical of Pop and the Spurs as much as I defend them. My view isn't skewed because I'm not hiding behind an agenda (or a troll for that matter). I am taking it as it comes. If I am wrong sometimes, I can live with that. It's not a big deal.

Blake
06-14-2011, 03:46 PM

:lol

what are you going to do when/if they put Pop's name up in the rafters next to Tim and Manu?

or worse.....in the HOF?

Solid D
06-14-2011, 04:09 PM
:lol

what are you going to do when they put Pop's name up in the rafters next to Tim and Manu?

and.....in the HOF?

Fixed.

Agloco
06-14-2011, 07:33 PM
I'll tell ya one key difference though

I bet you will. I also bet it'll be a steaming pile just as your other statements were.

Yeap, I was right.

Axe Murderer
06-14-2011, 07:38 PM
it seems as if the past few days ohmwrecker's going all out to admit that the 2007 Spurs' opponents were anything but complete dogshit overall

21_Blessings
06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
The Spurs beat no team of note and and even then, needed a convinced felon to hand them game 3 and an unjust suspension to the Suns' best player to seal the deal.

The Mavs slayed Goliath in the 2nd round. After that, it was destiny.

Sean Cagney
06-14-2011, 09:11 PM
The Spurs beat no team of note and and even then, needed a convinced felon to hand them game 3 and an unjust suspension to the Suns' best player to seal the deal.

The Mavs slayed Goliath in the 2nd round. After that, it was destiny.

Like the Lakers never had HELP or bs calls during any of their runs :lol:lol:lol, sure.

BTW handed game three? :rollin, not near as bad as the Kings series you guys won, now that one was the worst ever.

Unjust suspension? The rules say you get off the bench during a scuffle and go on to the floor that you get suspended, not the Spurs fault Amare and Diaw are that damn stupid. Even still it was 2-2 in the series, PHX was never ahead or IN CONTROL in that series.

TJastal
06-14-2011, 11:45 PM
I bet you will. I also bet it'll be a steaming pile just as your other statements were.

Yeap, I was right.

You act like you have the slightest clue about what I post. When all you do is skim them over until you find any anything negative about Pop then you immediately click 'post reply' and call it a steaming pile or some other witty term.

Just put me on ignore, it'll make both our lives easier.

ohmwrecker
06-15-2011, 08:30 AM
lol "convinced felon"

lol "Goliath"

ohmwrecker
06-15-2011, 08:32 AM
it seems as if the past few days ohmwrecker's going all out to admit that the 2007 Spurs' opponents were anything but complete dogshit overall

Actually, I addressed the quality of competition in a small part of one response there, cowboy.

Agloco
06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
You act like you have the slightest clue about what I post. When all you do is skim them over until you find any anything negative about Pop then you immediately click 'post reply' and call it a steaming pile or some other witty term.

Just put me on ignore, it'll make both our lives easier.

Negative. I simply look for your handle and I immediately know what follows. Sure as the sun rises there was yet another gem about how Pop is a complete and utter failure as a coach.

Don't cry about it. Man up and own your shitty remarks, it'll make both our lives easier.