PDA

View Full Version : Spurs and Trading TP

DPG21920
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_tony_parker_spurs_nba_draft_062111

NEW YORK – The San Antonio Spurs are engaged in discussions about trading point guard Tony Parker(notes) to secure a high pick in Thursday’s draft, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Spurs have talked to teams in the lottery, including the Toronto Raptors and Sacramento Kings, who hold the fifth and seventh picks, respectively. The Kings are determined to get a frontline point guard, and have also talked with the Denver Nuggets about Raymond Felton(notes).

It’s unclear who the Spurs would prefer to take if they acquired a high lottery pick.

If the Spurs were to trade Parker, George Hill(notes) could become their starting point guard. League sources said Hill also has drawn trade interest from teams willing to give the Spurs a pick near the back end of the lottery.

Parker didn’t play well early in the Spurs’ first-round loss to the eighth-seeded Memphis Grizzlies in May then later told French reporters he thought the franchise’s days of contending for a title had all but ended.

ernest787
06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
this is interesting.

I just really don't see the talent in this year's draft to justify trading TP. Obviously, we'd have to get something back besides just the pick from the Kings or Raptors, just not sure what else we could get

ohmwrecker
06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I have yet to see any reasonable proposed fantasy trade, draft lottery prospect or combination of the two that would be worth trading TP for . . . also, George Hill as the starting PG . . . good lord, really?!

easjer
06-21-2011, 08:23 PM
this is interesting.

I just really don't see the talent in this year's draft to justify trading TP. Obviously, we'd have to get something back besides just the pick from the Kings or Raptors, just not sure what else we could get

I'm sort of shocked by the news, but if I step back from instant fan reaction, then I could say that TP didn't play particularly well and hasn't been outstanding in awhile, and certainly didn't step up when they needed him to. Further, if his comments to the French press are indicative of a lack of motivation or interest in playing in SA, then getting a good draft pick to fill a hole might be the best option for everyone.

Sort of shocking that he could be traded less than a year after signing a contract that was supposed to have him retiring a Spur.

lefty
06-21-2011, 08:24 PM
:lmao

benefactor
06-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Surprising. I would think that they would go after proven players over gambling in this weak draft.

TheSpursFNRule
06-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm sort of shocked by the news, but if I step back from instant fan reaction, then I could say that TP didn't play particularly well and hasn't been outstanding in awhile, and certainly didn't step up when they needed him to. Further, if his comments to the French press are indicative of a lack of motivation or interest in playing in SA, then getting a good draft pick to fill a hole might be the best option for everyone.

Sort of shocking that he could be traded less than a year after signing a contract that was supposed to have him retiring a Spur.

Tony wouldn't have retired after a 4 year contract extension.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Surprising. I would think that they would go after proven players over gambling in this weak draft.

I don't think they really have a choice. They don't have assets to bring in a proven player, and lottery teams would bite at the chance to have Tony Parker as a key piece. Who knows what another season can do to Tony's declination, teams may shy away from him next year when the draft gets good.

ernest787
06-21-2011, 08:30 PM

I'm with you on Tony's play in the playoff. I just don't see the talent in this draft to justify the trade.

ohmwrecker
06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
2nd half of 2009 says hi

2010-2011 and no improvement as a PG says hi

DPG21920
06-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Look, TP was very bad given the circumstances in the playoffs, but to say he "hasn't been outstanding in a while" is completely ludicrous. TP had a great season this year and has been spectacular (when not injured) in the past few years.

TheProfessor
06-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Look, TP was very bad given the circumstances in the playoffs, but to say he "hasn't been outstanding in a while" is completely ludicrous. TP had a great season this year and has been spectacular (when not injured) in the past few years.
Agreed. This seems reactionary of the Spurs' FO, and unless they're dumping contracts in the process while getting talent back, it's hard to justify.

Nathan89
06-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Huh...still no interest in Rj? Not even in the weak draft.:depressed

timtonymanu
06-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Tim Duncan hasn't been great in the playoffs since 2008. Manu hasn't been healthy in the playoffs since 2007. It's not fair to say Parker hasn't been good for a while because of his 2011 playoff performance.

dylankerouac
06-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Well he just finished his 10th year in the league. Statistically the drop off starts now or just after this year. Plus, his level of play is taxing.

Good luck to the FO.

easjer
06-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Ok, he's spectacular. Shrug. I haven't kept up with draft talk, so I can't say whether this is terrible or not. Depends on what they can get.

I don't want him traded, I have a hard time seeing that that helps the team, and my instant fan reaction is 'No fucking way!' - I was just saying that I could see some reasoning behind the proposal.

Nathan Explosion
06-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Maybe they're talking with Minny about Rubio plus a pick? If you're talking about a high lottery pick, a player has to come back with it. I think Minny would have the best options available, that is, if you're sold on Rubio, which A LOT of people aren't.

This is an interesting turn of events though, as I thought the Spurs would negotiate for proven talent.

TheProfessor
06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Maybe they're talking with Minny about Rubio plus a pick? If you're talking about a high lottery pick, a player has to come back with it. I think Minny would have the best options available, that is, if you're sold on Rubio, which A LOT of people aren't.

This is an interesting turn of events though, as I thought the Spurs would negotiate for proven talent.
The Wolves explicitly told Rubio he won't be included in trade discussions, and Kahn seems hellbent on making him their centerpiece.

Nathan Explosion
06-21-2011, 09:08 PM
The Wolves explicitly told Rubio he won't be included in trade discussions, and Kahn seems hellbent on making him their centerpiece.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but seeing as how Hill is not a replacement for Parker (I'm sure we can all agree on that) so they'd need a replacement PG for Parker. That pick is not coming in the draft, that's for sure. I think the Kings have the best asset in Omri overall, but I'm not sure what else the Spurs can get from them. Unless they want Beno back. :lol

Rubio got buried in Europe, and while it's most likely that he regressed, it could also be that politics played a part. European basketball is different from NBA basketball in how the politics work and all.

ChuckD
06-21-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't think there's a pick in this draft worth Parker, not even #1. I did like that blurb about Hill being worth a back end lotto pick. I'd jump all over that. He's not a PG by any stretch, and we're likely to be so deep with full sized SGs/SFs, we'll have to cut a good player or two.

Nathan Explosion
06-21-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't think there's a pick in this draft worth Parker, not even #1. I did like that blurb about Hill being worth a back end lotto pick. I'd jump all over that.

Then again, who's available in the back end of the lotto that can contribute right away. As funny as it sounds, this draft is so bad, that may not even be an even swap as Hill could proven to be better than the players drafted in that range.

It's just a terrible draft overall.

DPG21920
06-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok, he's spectacular. Shrug. I haven't kept up with draft talk, so I can't say whether this is terrible or not. Depends on what they can get.

I don't want him traded, I have a hard time seeing that that helps the team, and my instant fan reaction is 'No fucking way!' - I was just saying that I could see some reasoning behind the proposal.

I see the reasoning in a certain light, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's not awful, but it's not what you'd expect to break up the big 3.

I wasn't trying to say TP has been some top 10 guy, but that he has been pretty damn good for a while though.

DPG21920
06-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Woj named specific teams, so it's hard to believe there is much outside of that.

Then again, who's available in the back end of the lotto that can contribute right away. As funny as it sounds, this draft is so bad, that may not even be an even swap as Hill could proven to be better than the players drafted in that range.

It's just a terrible draft overall.

It's somewhat risky, but it's not a huge gamble to lose Hill for a lottery pick with how good the FO is at drafting.

ohmwrecker
06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
It's somewhat risky, but it's not a huge gamble to lose Hill for a lottery pick with how good the FO is at drafting.

I would actually rather lose Blair, but he likely not as valuable an asset as Hill.

easjer
06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
I see the reasoning in a certain light, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's not awful, but it's not what you'd expect to break up the big 3.

I wasn't trying to say TP has been some top 10 guy, but that he has been pretty damn good for a while though.

I can agree with that.

I'm wondering if it's more attitude than anything at this point. He's getting older, nearer to the end of his career, and his trade value is unlikely to get higher from this point in. If he's making noise about thinking they are done or other things that are being interpreted as lacking interest, I can see them deciding it's now or never, and trying to get something for it.

From what I'm seeing, it's an odd sort of move with this draft. I hate to see Tony play elsewhere, but am not opposed to a really good package (hard to picture one, though, really)

Nathan Explosion
06-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Woj named specific teams, so it's hard to believe there is much outside of that.

I didn't say they were talking to Minny, just that for Parker you'd need a top 3 pick as this draft is so terrible that there may be nothing beyond it. Hell, some experts were saying that the drop off after 2 is huge, so take that for what it's worth.

I'm not saying Hill is irreplaceable, just that this lottery is so bad, a case could be made that losing Hill would actually be a bad trade.

BUT, if the Spurs are to make a trade for a draft pick, then I'd rather they trade Hill than Parker easily. It'll be much easier to replace Hill in the draft than it will be to replace Parker.

DPG21920
06-21-2011, 09:32 PM
I would actually rather lose Blair, but he likely not as valuable an asset as Hill.

I'd probably agree.

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
I can agree with that.

I'm wondering if it's more attitude than anything at this point. He's getting older, nearer to the end of his career, and his trade value is unlikely to get higher from this point in. If he's making noise about thinking they are done or other things that are being interpreted as lacking interest, I can see them deciding it's now or never, and trying to get something for it.

From what I'm seeing, it's an odd sort of move with this draft. I hate to see Tony play elsewhere, but am not opposed to a really good package (hard to picture one, though, really)

Easjer I have to agree with your points in this thread sir.

:tu

DMC
06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
The truth is that the Spurs aren't going anywhere, meaning they will be in the playoffs and won't win the ring next year. Why? Because they have a retiring maxed out player who isn't leaving until the end of 2012, they have RJ on an extended contract and Tony Parker isn't going to get them over the hump. They have to make some moves just to keep people's hopes alive. We know we aren't going to win with the line-up we have now. Keeping hopes alive sells season tickets.

easjer
06-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Easjer I have to agree with your points in this thread sir.

:tu

(ma'am ;))

ohmwrecker
06-21-2011, 09:39 PM
I'd probably agree.

No shit, right? If Pop hadn't pulled him as a starter and played him vs the Grizz, he would likely have more value.

The Spurs are in a pretty tough spot. It's going to be hard to pull off a deal that yields equality in loss.

DPG21920
06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I can agree with that.

I agree with that and that's the point. It's tough to see anything good at this point.

Spurtacus
06-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm not saying Hill is irreplaceable, just that this lottery is so bad, a case could be made that losing Hill would actually be a bad trade.

BUT, if the Spurs are to make a trade for a draft pick, then I'd rather they trade Hill than Parker easily. It'll be much easier to replace Hill in the draft than it will be to replace Parker.

Spurs could potentially draft Chris Singleton or Tristan Thompson with a lottery pick. I'd take either guy over Hill.

baseline bum
06-21-2011, 09:58 PM
I have yet to see any reasonable proposed fantasy trade, draft lottery prospect or combination of the two that would be worth trading TP for . . . also, George Hill as the starting PG . . . good lord, really?!

If Parker gets moved then I'm all for starting Hill at the point and tanking for a lottery pick in the 2012 draft (assuming there is even a portion of a season to tank). Still, Ginobili is the guy to trade for pennies on the dollar if you have to. Not Parker when he's still on the right side of 30.

GSH
06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Tor- Ed Davis, Calderon and the 5th pick for TP and 29th.

SA looking to dump salary for possible hard cap. Could deal RJ and TP to Sac who can take on payroll and want vets.

I like making a deal with Tor if they are willing to give up Davis. With the 5th pick I think the spurs would go for Biyombo, Walker or Burks. Or they could make a deal with the Rockets who wanna move up as does Mil.

The Spurs would be able to spread Tony's salary over a couple of players, so they would be able to shed some of their payroll this season. Plus they would stand a reasonable chance of getting another player for rookie scale who could make the team. The money part makes sense.

Calderon is no slouch. On a better team, I think he would be even better. (I actually talked about a similar trade a few years ago, where the Spurs got Calderon and Anthony Parker, plus.) Davis would be a good pickup.

If the Spurs are really discussing this, there is someone in the draft they think will be a game changer. It's a weak draft, but there are going to be a few surprises in it. Maybe they think they know one of them.

If Parker gets moved then I'm all for starting Hill at the point and tanking for a lottery pick in the 2012 draft (assuming there is even a portion of a season to tank).

A lockout-shortened season would be the one to tank. That may be the grand prize of 2012 - a race to the Lottery.

ohmwrecker
06-21-2011, 10:06 PM
If Parker gets moved then I'm all for starting Hill at the point and tanking for a lottery pick in the 2012 draft (assuming there is even a portion of a season to tank). Still, Ginobili is the guy to trade for pennies on the dollar if you have to. Not Parker when he's still on the right side of 30.

I agree about Ginobili. Especially if you get a backup PG and a decent big in return, but I really don't want to see the Spurs tank until Duncan retires. I don't think he sticks around for that shit.

I think if it's just a lottery pick they're after (assuming they have someone they really like), then Hill should go. If they are looking for return value for Parker, that's going to be really tough to pull off.

ohmwrecker
06-21-2011, 10:08 PM
A lockout-shortened season would be the one to tank. That may be the grand prize of 2012 - a race to the Lottery.

That's an acceptable scenario, assuming Tim comes back healthy the following year.

Russ
06-21-2011, 10:32 PM
If the Spurs trade TP for a 4-5 pick in this draft, it's a salary dump.

Pure and simple.

Danny.Zhu
06-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Calderon

GSH
06-22-2011, 12:21 AM
The Spurs are in a pretty tough spot. It's going to be hard to pull off a deal that yields equality in loss.

Where's Isiah Thomas when you need him?

The Bobcats are the closest thing right now. They made some terrible-looking trades before the deadline last season. Maybe they'll be willing to trade SJax straight up for RJ.

Trimble87
06-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Posted this in the other trade thread as well.

I don't really see the upside of trying to trade Tony for picks in this incredibly shallow draft. However I wouldn't hate the trade if we either got good players + a high draft pick (4-10) or we managed to trade with Cleveland or Minnesota in order to grab Derrick Williams. I doubt Minny gwould be willing to deal given that they have Flynn and Rubio already. However a Sessions, Verajo, Filler(Hickson would be great but thats pushing it) + #1 pick for Tony would be a win in my book. I doubt the cavaliers would consider that though.

TDMVPDPOY
06-22-2011, 12:36 AM
george hill worth only end of the lottery? lol weak ass draft

jason1301
06-22-2011, 12:40 AM
I called it!!! About 20min before we were eliminated in the first round I made the following thread, but it was closed b/c "we still had hopes" to me TP is MAIN reason we got eliminated. Period, after seeing him take no responsibility afterwards, I knew I was right.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178594

When your so-called best player isn't among the best players in his own position you don't have any chances to get a ring. D Rose, D Williams, R Westbrook, and CP3 are leaps and bounds ahead of Tony and its getting worse, more and more young PG are coming in this league, within the next couple of years TP would be lucky to be in the top10. He doesn't have the size or the strength to dominate his position, and his speed is diminishing with age. Don't forget, he turned pro when he was 15.

So I am asking you if we don't have the advantage at the PG, with Timmy not being what he used to, we 'll rely on Manu's angles, aren't we?

Spurs have gone 1-3 in the last 4 NBA Playoff series, the one time we won TP was coming off the bench! That must tell you something. When did Tony lead any team to anything outside of 2007? He got benched in the french national team in '05! And has done crappy job of being a leader.

Most of you talk about RJ, and I agree he played like crap. However its not entirely his fault, Tony has something to do with it as well. He is supposed to make others around better, not worst! Tony needs (and dominates) the ball to be effective, we could will be better off w/o him.

Russo21
06-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Total bullshit. Why would the spurs trade tony for a freakin draft pick? That's pretty much slapping the great tim duncan in the face and saying we cant win. A freakin draft pick? They can friggen well do better then that. We have 1 more year left to possibly win. What the fuck is trading tony for a draft pick gonna do for the last year or so of the tim duncan era. They can get better then that for tony for fuck sake.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-22-2011, 09:19 AM
I just really don't see the talent in this year's draft to justify trading TP.
on top of a season not guaranteed of ever happening. At least so far.

Findog
06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Hopefully for your sake they can get back a guy who doesn't ball his teammates wife or cast aspersions on a team that won 61 games ability to remain competitive.

Mel_13
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I called it!!!

You called for it. Not the same thing.

SilverSpur
06-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Tor- Ed Davis, Calderon and the 5th pick for TP and 29th.

SAC- J Thompson ,Udrih and the 7th pick.

SA looking to dump salary for possible hard cap. Could deal RJ and TP to Sac who can take on payroll and want vets.

I like making a deal with Tor if they are willing to give up Davis. With the 5th pick I think the spurs would go for Biyombo, Walker or Burks. Or they could make a deal with the Rockets who wanna move up as does Mil.

I like J. Thompson, B Udrih and the 7th pick. Then trade the 7th pick and Bonner to Houston for Scola or select Walker from UCONN.

Interrohater
06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm down, fuck it. There are very few players that I would remain a staunch advocate for after being traded because I'm a fan of my TEAM first. Tony Parker is not one of those players. David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobii, Bruce Bowen, Sean Elliott... otherwise, let's recognize the possible opportunity to upgrade a significant part of the roster with one deduction.

John Basedow
06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Hopefully for your sake they can get back a guy who doesn't ball his teammates wife or cast aspersions on a team that won 61 games ability to remain competitive.

Tony Parker is the Spurs' best player right now, so if they jettison him then they damn well better get the goods in return. He's 29 and this would be a great time to deal him if not for the weak draft (as others have alluded to already).

Manu will be 34 soon (and has had various injury problems since 2008) and Tim is 35 (will be 36 by 2012 playoffs). Nobody wants Bonner or RJ, Blair will probably draw little-to-no interest (if he's even a FA yet), and they really don't have any other trade assets. Yeah the Spurs draft well, but they'll still be picking late in a shit draft.

They're in a tough spot...they'll probably be mired in mediocrity till the core retires, after which they gotta hope they land another HOF big man (or any great player).

TP is their lone valuable piece left.

Laredoart
06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
If wasnt for Tim, frenchy wouldnt be a in a superstar status, frenchy cant defend, frenchy cant shoot, the only think that gave frenchy the success that he had, was the fact that Tim was getting double team all the time, there for the lane was always open, now that Tim doesnt get double team frenchy doesnt have to much success, his quickness is gone, so this the perfect time to trade him, right now while he still has some fame. The spurs will get a big that can score, that way TD can show him some tricks, and now the only thing that we need to do is trade RJ, and w/ MC retiring, we will have some cap, to go after a solid SF and a solid big. I will actually love to see our beloved rival Nash were the black and silver, I think we should be trading for him, he can show Hill how to run the PG the right way.