PDA

View Full Version : General 2012 NBA Draft Discussion

Bruno
01-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Spurs' 2012 draft picks :
Spurs will have the 59th pick of the draft.

Players available for the 2012 draft :
International players born in 1990 and college senior are automatically eligible.
College underclassmen and international players born in 91, 92 or 93 can enter in the draft.

Key dates :
April 7 : Nike Hoop Summit in Portland
April 10 : Teams can start workouts with automatically eligible players.
April 10 : Early entry withdrawal deadline to keep NCAA eligibility.
April 11 - April 14 : Portsmouth invitational tournament
April 29 : Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 30 : Draft Lottery.
June 6 - June 8 : Draft combine in Chicago.
June 10 - June 12 : Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso.
June 18 : Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 28 : NBA Draft in NY.

Workouts list:
Tu Holloway
Justin Hamilton (May 7)
Kyle O'Quinn (May 22)
Robbie Hummel (May 22)
Draymond Green (May 15)
Jorge Gutierrez
Ashton Gibbs
Jonathon Simmons (May 22)
Scoop Jardine (May 22)
Quincy Acy (May 22)
Kyle Weems (May 16)
Wesley Witherspoon (May 23)
Henry Sims (May 23)
Jason Clark (May 23)
Andre Drummond (interview only)
Olek Czyz (June 24)
JaMychal Green
Ricardo Ratliffe (June 24)
Kevin Jones

Links :
Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/index.php)
Nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
A blog on European prospects (http://www.europeanprospects.com/)
Espn draft page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/index)
Wiki on the lottery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)
Future draft picks (http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php)
NCAA players stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/players)
Euroleague players stats (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players)

angelbelow
01-30-2012, 05:10 AM
DX currently has 7 bigs going in the top 10. The other 3 are two small forwards and one shooting guard.. shaping up to be an interesting draft.

Mal
01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Richards not ready for NBA. Too weak for bottom ACB team, and now playing in Europe`s 3rd string leauge.

TheProfessor
01-31-2012, 10:00 PM
I like Smith from Denver with our vet group.

Spurs could be in rebiuld mode next year too......
:dizzy

rascal
01-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Unfortunately barring more injuries the spurs will win too many games and again be picking in the 20s. So I don't expect any big impact player through the draft.

baseline bum
01-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Maybe Rivers will slip to where the Spurs will be picking. I still see them as a 7 seed or so, so that should be somewhere from 18-22.

jesterbobman
02-01-2012, 02:15 AM
18-22 Seems like the right range. I can easily see The top 5 Eastern Teams ahead of us, as well as OKC and LAC. Then, probably end up anywhere from 3rd seed to 8th. Playoffs still seem likely with Manu coming back.

I don't think we can have a solid knowledge of team needs yet, other than ruling out SF, which seems sorted going forward.

sasffl
02-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Select a PF in the draft

yavozerb
02-01-2012, 07:55 AM
18-22 Seems like the right range. I can easily see The top 5 Eastern Teams ahead of us, as well as OKC and LAC. Then, probably end up anywhere from 3rd seed to 8th. Playoffs still seem likely with Manu coming back.

I don't think we can have a solid knowledge of team needs yet, other than ruling out SF, which seems sorted going forward.

No position is ruled out during the draft..If you think Leonard is good enough for the spurs not inquire about sf's this summer then you do not know the spurs front office very well.

angelbelow
02-01-2012, 11:49 PM
No position is ruled out during the draft..If you think Leonard is good enough for the spurs not inquire about sf's this summer then you do not know the spurs front office very well.

Agreed, In most cases, like drafting the best player available. As far as team needs, a big would definitely be nice (although I wonder what the Lorbek situation will be like.) A legit PG would be pretty nice too.

CGD
02-03-2012, 10:30 AM
If we were going to do a Hill trade 2.0 this coming draft involving Blair, how many (if any) slots would that bump us up in this draft assuming our pick is around 20? Despite his recent play, you have to think his contract (size/unguaranteed) has value.

yavozerb
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
If we were going to do a Hill trade 2.0 this coming draft involving Blair, how many (if any) slots would that bump us up in this draft assuming our pick is around 20? Despite his recent play, you have to think his contract (size/unguaranteed) has value.

If you remember the Spurs did not move up in the draft with the Hill trade, they got Indiana's pick outright and still kept there late 1st rd pick..If the spurs were to throw in there 1st along with Blair it better be for at least a mid lottery pick (6-11) since it is looking like they will fall between 18-24 with there current record which is not to bad a pick for the spurs..If the spurs can simply move Blair for a pick I would expect the same value as Hill gave in pick status. Just my opinion

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
If you remember the Spurs did not move up in the draft with the Hill trade, they got Indiana's pick outright and still kept there late 1st rd pick..If the spurs were to throw in there 1st along with Blair it better be for at least a mid lottery pick (6-11) since it is looking like they will fall between 18-24 with there current record which is not to bad a pick for the spurs..If the spurs can simply move Blair for a pick I would expect the same value as Hill gave in pick status. Just my opinion

In a draft as deep as this years, especially when it comes to bigs - no way whatsoever! It also would depend on what other teams think of his health. I'd say Spurs pick ( 18-24 ) and Blair could fetch something between 12th and 15th in this particular year's draft, no more.

mountainballer
02-03-2012, 11:13 AM

his contract is almost perfect for the other team. they get one year (on just 1 million), full Bird rights and he will be a RFA in 2013. that said, I still don't think he can bring back a package like GH did. Indy really wanted him (the hometown factor helped the case as well) and they (like many other teams) obviously were not intrigued by the draft class. 2012 GH wouldn't have landed us a #15 pick.

so, a late 1st rounder is what we could expect from a Blair trade. and a late 1st rounder helps you to trade up 3 or 4 spots at best, if you add it to your own pick. or you just use both 1st rounders, which will be something #20 and #27. (very unlikely, considering the number of available roster spots for 2012/13). if the Spurs plan to bring in Lorbek and De Colo, it's more likely they go for multiple 2nd rounders, or a 2013 1st round pick.

yavozerb
02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
In a draft as deep as this years, especially when it comes to bigs - no way whatsoever! It also would depend on what other teams think of his health. I'd say Spurs pick ( 18-24 ) and Blair could fetch something between 12th and 15th in this particular year's draft, no more.

You may be right, but Blair should only be a senior in college this season so he has age and 2 yrs of NBA experience under his belt which may attract a team instead of going with the 6th or 7th best big in the mid lottery..With blairs cheap contract, i see no reason why they would give him up and there own 1st to move up only 6-8 spots in the draft..

CGD
02-03-2012, 12:52 PM

Youre right, it's really 2 scenarios: a straight Blair + other considerations for a 1st rounder OR that plus the 1st swap. This is definitely a deeper draft, but I wonder if under the first scenario, if the decent bigs get taken early whether a team in the early teens does the swap. This begs the question, if you put Blair in the mix among the bigs in the drAft where would he rank?

MR.SILVER&BLack
02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Youre right, it's really 2 scenarios: a straight Blair + other considerations for a 1st rounder OR that plus the 1st swap. This is definitely a deeper draft, but I wonder if under the first scenario, if the decent bigs get taken early whether a team in the early teens does the swap. This begs the question, if you put Blair in the mix among the bigs in the drAft where would he rank?
would rather move blair and 1st round pick and move up to a late lottery pick(12-14) & take best player available. dont really need to worry if its a big because spurs also have Lorbek ready to suit up in silver and black.

CGD
02-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Hell, id even think about flipping Danny Green or Gary Neal if it meant moving up to get a guy spurs really like

jesterbobman
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I think I'd flip Neal, not Green, because De Colo should basically fill the same role as Neal, and it's hard to put both on the court at once.

I think a trade of those two(Neal and Blair) to a team that's in the FA game would be good. Contracts are good, and only a small amount above cap holds, and a 1st round pick could be enough that a trade would increase the cap. E.g, New Jersey could look to trade The Rockets pick(#13) for Neal and Blair, and have 2 role players on cheap contracts to surround Deron and Dwight. Same idea could work for other teams looking to maximise cap space(Obviously only by a little bit), as long as 100% of the pick contract + Roster Hold Charge on cap< Neal + Blair Salaries, though we're not getting that high, 13 probably seems like about the ceiling of that package.

Other option to accept a bad(ish) contract from one of those teams to get an additional pick.

angelbelow
02-04-2012, 05:48 PM
We are fine at pg. Spurs are goning to need a slasher scorer and a big PF that can move. Thats our needs. Splitter is surprising me a bit and may be a post player after all. Blair can score down low and TD as a PT player can still have good nights.

KL does not look like a scorer to me, he only 20 so who knows but we need someone now. I like the spurs going after Batum or JR Smith in the off season, then look to draft Moultrie or try to move up for Robinson from Kansas.

Most people won't agree but I think we have a hole at the PG position. Parker's been playing for a long time and TJ Ford has a rich history of being injured. Corey Joseph is too raw and we can't afford to wait. If the best player available at the time we draft is indeed a PG, I would love to pull the trigger.

With that said, obviously the priority is a big right now. Depending on Lorbek, we main not need to look for a big in the draft (as most of the notable ones are top 15 anyway.)

Mal
02-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Pick swap + Neal/Green/Blair is great option for Spurs. With possiblity of De Colo and Lorbek coming from Europe, drafting best avaible player with 10-15 pick is smart. With RJ gone Spurs will have many slots for talented player, which should be drafted around those places.

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2012, 10:06 PM
if we doin any trades and absorbin another teams trash contract, they better throw in draft picks

with the new tax penalty rules coming in, we should milk some teams dry since we under the cap....or we can do what some of the other t eams thats are under the cap playin mind games with teams that are already committed to big team salaries tryin to hold onto their players going into FA, we should just throw in MLES and high offers to see them match and pay the penalty tax, while we reap what they sow at the end of the season when stern starts distributing the tax revenue to teams under the salary cap :D:D

BackHome
02-09-2012, 10:45 PM
We really need a PF some players that I like are:

1. Rudy Gobert PF - 6'11 22yrs old
2. James Mcadoo PF - 6'9 19yrs old
3. Augusto Cesar Lima PF - 6'10 20yrs old *Depending on spine injury
4. Patrick Young PF 6'9 20yrs old

Also like one SF:

1.Jeff Taylor 6'7 22yrs old

Ditty
02-09-2012, 11:33 PM
If we amnesty RJ, we would need a backup SF, if Green leaves for free agency. Lebryan Nash(only 19,so much pontential, but has bad attitude, and not playing that great at OKS), and Jeff Taylor(Good shooter, and Defender but inconsistent, and is 22).

I like the idea of using Blair to move up or get another pick, but if we go international Lima, and Aldemir would be at the top of my list.

BackHome
02-10-2012, 12:43 AM
So we are set at PG....even though Corey still needs a full year in the D league to see if he will work out. It is funny but the two guys they draft last year are like Yeang and Yang...Kawhi never smiles and Joseph never stops smiling..lol

So move to SG....Manu, Neal, Green - So I am looking at the Spurs either trading Anderson or letting him go.

SF- This is slightly tougher but I think we will either try to trade RJ or Amensty him. Though if we draft Jeff Taylor then I think it's a 100% he will be gone. I hope Kawhi will be working on his mid range game/ball skills this summer

PF - I don't see Blair staying so look at trading him and probably we draft a PF in this draft.........forgot to mention PF - Tony Mitchell as someone to look at..

Center...Duncan/Splitter

Then looking at our foreign players the only one I see having a chance next year would be Hanga...he can play both SG and SF..

* Your right Nash has crazy potential but is also crazy ie..Artest..

Bruno
02-10-2012, 04:57 AM
We really need a PF some players that I like are:

1. Rudy Gobert PF - 6'11 22yrs old

Gobert is a center and is/will be bigger than that. He is still growing and should end up at 7'2". He has also a 7'8" wingspan. He seems to have a better attitude than Ajinça and Petro who were too highly physical gifted draft prospects.

SpurNation
02-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Would trading Blair + our first round pick for a higher first round pick be out of the question?

mountainballer
02-10-2012, 09:19 AM
i didn't follow the draft as close as in recent years, but from what I can say, the class is looking far less impressive, than reported before the season.
up front only Davis looks like a potential franchise player and while there might be a slightly above average number of big men with legit NBA potential, the class still doesn't look much deeper than 10 and 11.
yes, Spurs gave up on JA, but I think they should think twice before they use the pick instead of trading it.
I would prefer they bring in DeColo instead of the (much less experienced) young player they would get with the pick. this would still bolster the Spurs talent pool and looking at the Lin story makes me confident, that DeColo could find his niche as well.

so, use the pick at the deadline for a big man, (I'm still high on the Ilyasova scenario), best case they bring back a decent 2nd rounder in the deal as well, bring in DeColo and Lorbek this summer.
considering how well the Spurs are playing currently (even without Manu), I'm willing to once more go the immediate help route. Spurs already secured a pretty impressive talent pool anyhow and franchise type talent to replace Tim and Manu won't be found in the 20ies anyhow.

DPG21920
02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
i didn't follow the draft as close as in recent years, but from what I can say, the class is looking far less impressive, than reported before the season.
up front only Davis looks like a potential franchise player and while there might be a slightly above average number of big men with legit NBA potential, the class still doesn't look much deeper than 10 and 11.
yes, Spurs gave up on JA, but I think they should think twice before they use the pick instead of trading it.
I would prefer they bring in DeColo instead of the (much less experienced) young player they would get with the pick. this would still bolster the Spurs talent pool and looking at the Lin story makes me confident, that DeColo could find his niche as well.

so, use the pick at the deadline for a big man, (I'm still high on the Ilyasova scenario), best case they bring back a decent 2nd rounder in the deal as well, bring in DeColo and Lorbek this summer.
considering how well the Spurs are playing currently (even without Manu), I'm willing to once more go the immediate help route. Spurs already secured a pretty impressive talent pool anyhow and franchise type talent to replace Tim and Manu won't be found in the 20ies anyhow.

I wouldn't give up the first rounder for Ersan. While I like his game and he would be an upgrade over Blair, I still think this years first rounder is valuable. I agree with you about this years draft, but only in regard to franchise talent. There doesn't appear to be "true franchise" players, but there appears to be a lot of depth with regards to rotational players and that is valuable especially with the Spurs ability to draft so well.

I would rather keep the pick, still try and bring over De Colo and Lorbek if Ersan is the only thing the pick can get you. I am for trading the pick, but I would want more than Ersan (knowing that in order for that to happen, it might be tough since the pick is not going to be a high one and in terms of market value, Ersan might be fair for the pick for most teams).

jesterbobman
02-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I think there's good depth in the draft, and you can get a good rotation player in the draft at 25. You also might be able to get a rotation player at 37(Kings in a Thompspn deal) or 39(Bucks in a Ilyasova deal.)

Kevin Jones is currently 43rd on the DX board, I think he could be a role player. Not as good a prospect as what's available at 25, but if it increases your shot at a title, that move down is worthwhile.

CGD
02-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I think Green has played himself into a better deal this summer, and if another team offers something too high I'm not sure the Spurs would match it. Anything north of 10M/3year seems like a reach. I would try to flip Green for something during this draft.

I hope the Spurs are able to get some sort of value for JA before the deadline, even if it's an early 2nd round pick. It gives them another asset to shop around. As I've mentioned before, Blair should also be another asset the Spurs float.

BackHome
02-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Most people won't agree but I think we have a hole at the PG position. Parker's been playing for a long time and TJ Ford has a rich history of being injured. Corey Joseph is too raw and we can't afford to wait. If the best player available at the time we draft is indeed a PG, I would love to pull the trigger.

With that said, obviously the priority is a big right now. Depending on Lorbek, we main not need to look for a big in the draft (as most of the notable ones are top 15 anyway.)

I agree Joseph is probably two years away from being able to be counted and Ford is walking glass. There is a lot of roads we can take but I think we can all agree that Anderson, RJ and Blair are gone at the end of this season.

I would be happy to bring over De Colo who can be backup PG and take Andersons minutes at SG.......then use Anderson/Blair to move up in the draft rounds....I would be OK with SF. Jeff Taylor and then PF Augusto Lima ..replacing RJ, Blair....

venitian navigator
02-11-2012, 04:04 AM
I agree Joseph is probably two years away from being able to be counted and Ford is walking glass. There is a lot of roads we can take but I think we can all agree that Anderson, RJ and Blair are gone at the end of this season.

I would be happy to bring over De Colo who can be backup PG and take Andersons minutes at SG.......then use Anderson/Blair to move up in the draft rounds....I would be OK with SF. Jeff Taylor and then PF Augusto Lima ..replacing RJ, Blair....

Not necessarly have to agree.

Anderson : if nobody gives him more than what we can afford, I'll give him some more years (yes, I said years). If he train and find back his shoot (main, but not the only reason we drafted him) ha could be absolutely serviceble in the role of the player capable of playing guard/forward. He's a good guy and has already shown he can bring good energy to the team. Just need to buiold his personality and take back his coinfidence.
Probably, no one is gonna sign him for more than we can afford, so ther'e the chance of a cheap three years contract a la Blair. Could be beneficial for both parties

Blair : as a 15 minutes big (that in any case is the only role he cn play if he want survive for more than other 5 seasons in the nba, given his problematic knees) he's still an o.k. solution for years to come. Knows the system and at least in one side of the court (last year offense, this one defense) he has shown he can be decent. This year was for knowing a bit more the system. Next he should definitely improve again. He needs to play without thinking too much. When he'll have metabolized at least a good part of our infinite play book, he should improve his contribution considerably...and at a small price.

R.J. : if he's not traded during the season (and that, maybe, could be the best option for everybody : imho there are a lot of teams with up tempo style where RJ could still shine) it all depends of Tim and how many bucks he'll sign for next year.
I say that 'cause the only contracts we have to sign next year are :

1) Ford (in case) : good guy that has been integrated very well, but deserve still only a minimum contract or just something , but not a lot, more, because of injuries...it's a given that he's too fragile to be counted as stable in the rotation of any nba team, but we can afford that 'cause of some other player decently capable to play the point for some minutes (aside of Parker there are Neal, Manu, Green) while Joseph learn;

2) Green (that should not command a lot of money...and we have to consider that he never has played really well before this season; his contract could be between the 1,5 till the 2,5, max 3 millions a year);

3) JA (see before; contract between 800.000 and 1.500.000 a year);

After that (in case we don't change our roster with trades) the only spots to fill are still the same of this moment : two bigs.
And one of these can probably be filled with the signing of Lorbek (if he still want to play in the nba...for a title contender) paiying him an amount under the excepions.
The other one can be filled with our first round draft choice (over the n° 20, so not a very large contract) or with somebody traded for that draft choice.
So i wouldn't count RJ out, at least for next season.
In any case, we will still have the chance to amnesty him the year after, in caswe he decides (as probably he will) to exercise his player option...

So, imho, it all depends by Tim.
If he signs for a small amount of money, also RJ could be still part of the mix...

BackHome
02-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah a lot of ways we can go to me I don't think we will be able to attract any major free agents. The best I think we can do is bring over Lobrek who fits a need for us at the PF position.

I don't want to give up on Anderson but I have to say a nice article was written about players who have had foot injuries in the past. That is a bad injury to have for any athlete let alone a basketball player and he has had two foot injuries. But you right I think he can turn it around and would still want to hold on to him for a little longer and will be cheap.

One of my favorite players has become Green the guy is just a basketball player. He does the little things that you need if your team is going to win ball games. I honestly think he can get better if he works on his ball handling and mid range game this summer.

It is looking like we will have a late first rounder in this years draft so we might trade it to avoid $$/. If we keep it the only players looking at being were we draft are...Jeff Taylor - SF.....Festus Ezeli - C....Arnett Moultrie - PF/C or a young potential like TONY MITCHELL (NORTH TEXAS) or maybe draft over seas player which would be Cesar Lima - PF.

TDMVPDPOY
02-13-2012, 07:56 PM
ppl who say corey is 2 years away from being a good rotational player

what happen if he doesnt panned out? wasted 2yrs tryin to develop him while opportunity costing some player/draft

BackHome
02-13-2012, 10:07 PM
We pretty much did the same thing with Henderson........and your right at this point he is not even close to running a NBA team. It would suck though if Anderson and Smiley both don't make it......sucks for us and will suck harder for RC.

CGD
02-13-2012, 11:24 PM
ppl who say corey is 2 years away from being a good rotational player

what happen if he doesnt panned out? wasted 2yrs tryin to develop him while opportunity costing some player/draft

PG isn't an emminent concern at this point with TP in his prime. I dont think 2 years to see what a player has is bad at all. As a player you just pray you can convince and not have crap luck like Andreson with injury and lockout in the first two years of your rookie deal.

We'll be focused on replacing post play for years to come whether by draft or trade. So I don't see us "forsaking" draft picks over the next two years.
Plus Cory was a late 1st rounder... Have to play the odds on that.

BackHome
02-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Hey for all you international fans what are your thoughts on Tomas Satoransky 6'6 PG/SG Czech Republic? Can he play PG in the NBA?

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I was looking at the mocks and Furkan Aldemir stuck out at me. I really like him as our late 2nd round draft n' stash selection. Hes currently slated as an early 2nd rounder, but based on his long European contract (3 more years?) I doubt many teams will be too interested. He'll slide. And sure, hes not a top flight prospect, but hes a guy that might be able to carve out a nice career as a rotation big in the NBA, and hes got great size for a 4 at 6'10.

Hes my early choice for the late 2nd rounder.

Bruno
02-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Aldemir is a big time prospect. I doubt he will be available in the late secodn round if he enters and stays in this draft. He is first round material.

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Aldemir is a big time prospect. I doubt he will be available in the late secodn round if he enters and stays in this draft. He is first round material.

But so was Xavi Rabaseda and he went undrafted.

I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely, but I could see him sliding, for the same reasons that Splitter slid. But Splitter was starting much higher up the boards than Aldemir.

BackHome
02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't see him at all a first rounder just based on his contract and that he can make very good money playing in the league he is in. That might change if he really starts telling people he WANTS to play int he NBA.

BackHome
02-25-2012, 02:40 AM
So it is looking more and more like we will be drafting Jeffery Taylor - 6'7 SF/Vanderbilt in the first round. Not much of a college person but on film he look like a player who can fit in our half court system. I also like the way he can get to the rim and is able to finish with a dunk.

As far as our second round "Draft Net" has us taking another SF..Kenny Gabriel 6'8...I read somewhere he was most improved player this month...Like I said earlier if we are able to sign Lobrek...that takes care of our PF postion...Then we draft Jeffery Taylor at SF with our first round.......Then we starting working the phones and try to trade Blair,or Anderson for a high second round pick..........in that pick I want -Augusto Cesar Lima 6'10 PF....Amenesty RJ

So we bring in Lobrek PF- more of outside on offense
Draft Jeffery Taylor SF - Half court player, athletic and can take it to the rim...dunk!
Augusto Lima 6/10 PF - more inside on offense

Also since Cory won't be ready for 3 years and Ford is fragile I wouln't mind bringing in De Colo for a look....he can replace Andersons minutes and play pg a lot better then Neal..

Hooks
02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Is it safe to say the Spurs will FINALLY draft another big man this year?

Seems like they're set at PG with Parker/COJO/Ford, SG with Manu, Neal, Green.

The Spurs may amnesty RJ, let Kawhi start or sign a SF like Batum or some scrub or just let Green take all the backup SF mins.

I really hope the Spurs sign a C and draft a PF. I was scanning through scouting reports of the available PF's the Spurs may be able to get and I really like Patric Young.

He's a PF, around 6'8-6'10, he's 248lbs of nothing but muscle. I haven't seen him play but his body looks like a young Ben Wallace. He's got some sick athleticism, he's a great defender as well, pretty darn quick for his size, a high motor, and he's a very good rebounder. His offensive game is poor though.

I really hope the Spurs can get someone like him, the Spurs REALLY need a PF with his size and skill set to guard guys like Davis, Bass, Patterson, Arthur, etc. other athletic PF's that just kill the Spurs. He could also handle a lot of C's with his size.

yavozerb
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Is it safe to say the Spurs will FINALLY draft another big man this year?

Seems like they're set at PG with Parker/COJO/Ford, SG with Manu, Neal, Green.

The Spurs may amnesty RJ, let Kawhi start or sign a SF like Batum or some scrub or just let Green take all the backup SF mins.

I really hope the Spurs sign a C and draft a PF. I was scanning through scouting reports of the available PF's the Spurs may be able to get and I really like Patric Young.

He's a PF, around 6'8-6'10, he's 248lbs of nothing but muscle. I haven't seen him play but his body looks like a young Ben Wallace. He's got some sick athleticism, he's a great defender as well, pretty darn quick for his size, a high motor, and he's a very good rebounder. His offensive game is poor though.

I really hope the Spurs can get someone like him, the Spurs REALLY need a PF with his size and skill set to guard guys like Davis, Bass, Patterson, Arthur, etc. other athletic PF's that just kill the Spurs. He could also handle a lot of C's with his size.

No its not safe to assume a big will be drafted..When you draft in the late 20's you dont get the option to simply draft who you want. Best player available..

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-28-2012, 09:34 AM
I think there's a good chance the Spurs trade their pick. They'll prob try to trade up if there's a guy they really rate, similarly to last year's using Blair/Neal/Green but if this fails, which is likely, I don't think they'd want to add salary and reduce their cap space.

Besides, if they've decided to bring Lorbek and De Colo, they might not have a roster spot and minutes for a 3rd rookie.

yavozerb
02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
I think there's a good chance the Spurs trade their pick. They'll prob try to trade up if there's a guy they really rate, similarly to last year's using Blair/Neal/Green but if this fails, which is likely, I don't think they'd want to add salary and reduce their cap space.

Besides, if they've decided to bring Lorbek and De Colo, they might not have a roster spot and minutes for a 3rd rookie.

Or draft another Euro....

Hooks
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
No its not safe to assume a big will be drafted..When you draft in the late 20's you dont get the option to simply draft who you want. Best player available..

I thought about that scenario but it just seems like the Spurs are way too stacked at the other positions except SF as there may be a vacant spot this summer. I think the chances of them drafting a big man are much higher especially since TD is not only becoming a FA this year but he's getting older and declining much more.

I wouldn't be shocked if they traded the pick either though.

Anonymous Cowherd
02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
"best available player" isn't a zero-sum game though.

you can and often will try to evaluate at the very highest level between, say, a point guard and a center, because the team may revolve around them and you can evaluate their relative impact at its center.

but further down it's pretty nigh on impossible to evaluate radically different types of player against each other. If there is a guard who seems legit, and there isn't a big, then you can call it a simple case of best available. But that's unlikely.

MR.SILVER&BLack
02-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I thought about that scenario but it just seems like the Spurs are way too stacked at the other positions except SF as there may be a vacant spot this summer. I think the chances of them drafting a big man are much higher especially since TD is not only becoming a FA this year but he's getting older and declining much more.

I wouldn't be shocked if they traded the pick either though.
Still not safe to assume anything with RC & Pop. I Remeber last years draft and seeing that Jordan Williams was available. i thought they were going to draft him but then i hear the name cory Joesph.

BackHome
02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Oh don't get me started on Cory Joseph!

Bruno
03-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I've added some college senior prospects profile. If I've made some mistakes and/or if you want to talk about other college seniors, just let me know.

International prospects and underclassmen will be added shortly.

Libri
03-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I've added some college senior prospects profile. If I've made some mistakes and/or if you want to talk about other college seniors, just let me know.

International prospects and underclassmen will be added shortly.

Thanks again.

Bruno
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks again.

:toast

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2012, 11:49 PM
pls dont waste another pick on a pg...i prefer the spurs sign a vet pg who can hold down the fort

we dont have time to be testing raw pgs and developing them, when we are win mode for the next 2-3 years with the way this team has been playin for the last few seasons, we are just another regular season team +50 wins + first round exit, address the needs of this team first, that is a fkn big who could come in and contribute or look for a serviceable big through FA...

BackHome
03-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Well just created this thread because to many players to look through and figured we could narrow down our first rounder easier.

The players who I think will be there as far as talent and also need are the following:

Tony Wroten -PG/SG - 6'5 W.A
Tomas Satoransky PG/SG - 6'6 Czech Republic

Jeffrey Taylor - SF - 6'7 Vanderbilt

Kevin Jones- PF - 6'8 - West Virgina
Quincy Miller - PF/SF 6'9 - Baylor

Festus Ezil - C - 6/11 - Vanderbilt

BackHome
03-16-2012, 12:43 AM
So if GS ends up in the bottom seven then they get to keep there draft pick if not then they have to trade it. So they signed Bogut who has come out and said they will not play him for the season until his broken ankle heals. Add to the fact that they are going to put Curry on ice to see if he can actually get healed and they might make it.

The question I have is if they do get a top seven draft do you see them using our 25th first rounder? Or do you think they will wait when it is not protected?

Bruno
03-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Draft talks this year should be boring with Spurs first and only pick currently being #57. :sleep

Bruno
03-16-2012, 09:48 AM
The question I have is if they do get a top seven draft do you see them using our 25th first rounder? Or do you think they will wait when it is not protected?

They can't wait.

If Spurs make the playoffs, which is likely, Warriors will get Spurs first round pick. They have to take it. They can't decide that they don't want it and rather take Spurs 2013 first round pick.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-16-2012, 09:49 AM
So if GS ends up in the bottom seven then they get to keep there draft pick if not then they have to trade it. So they signed Bogut who has come out and said they will not play him for the season until his broken ankle heals. Add to the fact that they are going to put Curry on ice to see if he can actually get healed and they might make it.

They can't choose which year's pick to take. Barring a disastrous run that'd leave the Spurs out of the platoff this year,GS will be getting the 20-something pick from the Spurs.

Edit : Bruno beat me to it.

BackHome
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Ok so we trade Anerson and get a second round pick and draft Cesar Lima at PF and then Pick up Lobrek..............I am a happy camper....:)

yavozerb
03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Draft talks this year should be boring with Spurs first and only pick currently being #57. :sleep

Maybe not, spurs have some players they can offer up come draft day like they did last season with Hill..The 1st that comes to mind is Blair and then Neil since he has a great contract. Just a thought, you never know.

BackHome
03-17-2012, 12:55 PM
So now that Jackson is back I think this is going to impact some players in that know we have a lot of outside shooters. So the question I have does that make someone like Neal/Bonner expendable?

So do anyone see us trading these guys this summer to get back in the first round, or early second round?

Bruno
03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
NCAA has changed early entry rules for underclassmen:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Testing-the-NBA-Draft-Waters-in-2012-3869

It's going to be brutal for the underclassmen to know whether or not hey should stay in college.

yavozerb
03-22-2012, 09:25 PM
NCAA has changed early entry rules for underclassmen:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Testing-the-NBA-Draft-Waters-in-2012-3869

It's going to be brutal for the underclassmen to know whether or not hey should stay in college.

:toast...Now if only the spurs could get there hands on a 1st rd pick I might be a little more interested in the 2012 nba draft.

Darkwaters
03-23-2012, 05:54 AM
:toast...Now if only the spurs could get there hands on a 1st rd pick I might be a little more interested in the 2012 nba draft.

What would you think of trading Stephen Jackson to the Warriors for a first rounder and one of their small forwards? Maybe we can get Richard Jefferson?!

yavozerb
03-23-2012, 09:17 AM
What would you think of trading Stephen Jackson to the Warriors for a first rounder and one of their small forwards? Maybe we can get Richard Jefferson?!

:lol, nice reality check....

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-23-2012, 09:19 AM

:) would take their own 2012 unprotected 1st, no doubt.

Edit : belongs to Jazz (if not top 7) yea.

Paranoid Pop
04-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Don't you think that the Spurs will trade for a 1st rounder?

Or crackpot theory : the Spurs trade TP for an unprotected lottery pick, hoping they can get AD in a remake of 97 or worst case a project PF they really like.

Bruno
04-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Don't you think that the Spurs will trade for a 1st rounder?

Getting a first round pick isn't that easy. Teams have to give up something good to get it and Spurs won't have a reason to do so unless they fall in love with a specific draft prospect..

Paranoid Pop
04-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Getting a first round pick isn't that easy. Teams have to give up something good to get it and Spurs won't have a reason to do so unless they fall in love with a specific draft prospect..

Hm the thing is we have almost too many players right now, sure Anderson may leave and we have no garantee we'll be able to resign Green or Mills but we have good players on cheap contracts like Blair and Neal that we may afford to trade.

I mean if we want to make the team significantly better next year it means upgrading the PF position. Being deep is fine but in the PO it doesn't matter as much so we may try getting rid of one of our PF for a pick just to make room.

Bruno
04-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Hm the thing is we have almost too many players right now, sure Anderson may leave and we have no garantee we'll be able to resign Green or Mills but we have good players on cheap contracts like Blair and Neal that we may afford to trade.

I mean if we want to make the team significantly better next year it means upgrading the PF position. Being deep is fine but in the PO it doesn't matter as much so we may try getting rid of one of our PF for a pick just to make room.

I have no problem with trading BLair and/or Neal but I don't think it will get you a first round pick. Their trade value is pretty low.

Paranoid Pop
04-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I have no problem with trading BLair and/or Neal but I don't think it will get you a first round pick. Their trade value is pretty low.

Ok thanks, really value your opinion on the matter.

CGD
04-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Unless Neal has another clutch playoff performance, I think Mills makes him redundant IMO. I also think he'll be looking for a bigger deal (rightfully so) in a year, so I can see him being packaged in a move to acquired a first rounder. Then again Spurs need to make sure Mills picks up that option...

CGD
04-08-2012, 03:31 PM

I disagree. Neal and Blair play at levels above their current contracts. Even Blair, for all his inconsistency this year, still outperforms several of his peers from his draft class dollar for dollar. I'm not saying either alone would fetch a top 15 pick like Hill, but if someone the Spurs like is still around between in the early 20s, who knows.

Bruno
04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I disagree. Neal and Blair play at levels above their current contracts. Even Blair, for all his inconsistency this year, still outperforms several of his peers from his draft class dollar for dollar. I'm not saying either alone would fetch a top 15 pick like Hill, but if someone the Spurs like is still around between in the early 20s, who knows.

My reasoning behind Neal and Blair having little trade value is that they have both very limited role players. Neal will turn 28 this offseason and Blair has no ACLs. Saying that, I can understand why you disagree with that and see them as producing players on cheap contracts.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

mountainballer
04-10-2012, 08:05 AM
the point is, the Spurs won't land a mid 1st round pick via Blair or Neal. Hill was a so much more attractive asset and it still needed a team that really really wanted him. Pacers just wanted their hometown kid back.

Spurs might get a end 1st rounder at best. but it doesn't make any sense to add another late 1st rounder at this point.
it's a better and more likely scenario that they somehow get a 2nd rounder (Cavs own the #33 and #34 pick).

TheProfessor
04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
the point is, the Spurs won't land a mid 1st round pick via Blair or Neal. Hill was a so much more attractive asset and it still needed a team that really really wanted him. Pacers just wanted their hometown kid back.

Spurs might get a end 1st rounder at best. but it doesn't make any sense to add another late 1st rounder at this point.
it's a better and more likely scenario that they somehow get a 2nd rounder (Cavs own the #33 and #34 pick).
Problem being that those early second round picks are worth more than late first-rounders, particularly if picking up overseas talent.

elemento
04-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Yeah but this year even the late 1st round picks have pretty good value. The draft is deep. Look at how much teams paid for late 1st picks.

This draft is going to be boring with the Spurs having only a late 2nd round pick.

elemento
04-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Yeah but this year even the late 1st round picks have pretty good value. The draft is deep. Look at how much teams paid for late 1st picks.

This draft is going to be boring with the Spurs having only a late 2nd round pick.

angelbelow
04-12-2012, 05:59 AM

We'll see. I don't watch college basketball or follow their players, but after doing some research, it just sounds like its top 15 deep. After that, the hype around this draft dies down.

yavozerb
04-12-2012, 08:22 AM

The draft from #25-30 will only be slightly better than usual, nothing special in my opinion..Only desperate teams would up the price for a late 1st rd pick, this has very little to do with the draft depth and much more to do with teams in panic mode.

Penya
04-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Raulzinho Neto will enter the draft, according to his agent. Very interesting prospect.

Bruno
04-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Raulzinho Neto will enter the draft, according to his agent. Very interesting prospect.

I'm reading the opposite:
http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/status/190953082455199744

Brazilians Augusto Cesar Lima, Lucas Nogueira and Raul Neto will all pass on entering the 2012 draft, according to their agency.

Penya
04-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm reading the opposite:
http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/status/190953082455199744

Then you're right, I guess. I read he was projected as a mid-second rounder.

We'll see if he can improve next season and become a first rounder.

BackHome
04-15-2012, 02:23 PM
To bad about Augusto, I was hoping the Spurs would be able to draft the kid but with his spinal injury I know teams will be scarred.

yavozerb
04-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Today at 11:59 pm is the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NBA draft.

Mel_13
05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
International early entry candidates for 2012 #NBA Draft: Furkan Aldemir, Jonas Bergstedt, Evan Fournier, Josep Franch, Maximilian Kleber, Lahaou Konate, Mindaugas Kupsas, Joffrey Lauvergne, Abdoulaye Loum, Nika Metreveli, Nemanja Nedovic, Alen Omic, Jakub Parzenski, Sertac Sanli, Tomas Satoransky, Tornike Shengelia, Mathieu Wojciechowski

http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/d5431379-b05c-4a51-a9fa-977ec099d6d0/?source=twitter

#NBA announces early entry candidates for 2012 Draft: Austin, Barnes, Barton, Beal, Brown, Cheek, Cunningham, Davis, Drummond, Ferguson, Hamilton, Harkless, Henson, Jenkins, Jones III, Jones, Kidd-Gilchrist, D.Lamb, J.Lamb, Leonard, Lillard, Marshall, Melo, Middleton, Miller, Mitchell, Moultrie, Nelson, Rivers, Roberson, Roberts, Robinson, Ross, Scharer, Sidney, Simmons, Stoglin, Suero, Sullinger, Taylor, Teague, Thomas, Thompson, Townsend-Gant, Waiters, Wayns, White, Williams, Wroten

http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/d325aa82-15ee-42b8-8f35-b787eb997cd5/?source=twitter

Uriel
05-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Ugh. Just about my only misgiving about the Stephen Jackson trade is that it gave away our first round pick. Sure, it ended up being the last pick of the draft, but we need something to talk about, right? Especially given how deep this year's pool is.

That said, is there any reasonable way we can get into the first round without giving up too much? Like buying a pick or trading a player, a la George Hill?

CGD
05-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Ugh. Just about my only misgiving about the Stephen Jackson trade is that it gave away our first round pick. Sure, it ended up being the last pick of the draft, but we need something to talk about, right? Especially given how deep this year's pool is.

That said, is there any reasonable way we can get into the first round without giving up too much? Like buying a pick or trading a player, a la George Hill?

I'm not complaining abt the trade, but i too will miss the draft day drama. On the other hand it's fun to speculate what it may take for the spurs to get into the first round this year. Also, the spurs have done a good job at finding value from different sources in recent years, that I wouldnt be surprised if they find another gem this summer.

Uriel
05-18-2012, 06:35 AM
With the Spurs working out a bunch of players projected to go in the first round, it's pretty safe to assume that either Blair or Neal (or both) could be packaged in a trade for a first round pick. And considering Blair was recently invited to work out with Team USA's Olympic 2012 team, it's easy to see how valued he is around the rest of the league, which means he could net use a relatively high draft pick in such a deep draft.

Which makes the 2012 Draft a whole lot more interesting for Spurs fans. I know lots of people are caught up in our playoff run, but regardless of whether we go on to win the title --fingers crossed -- this could shape up to be a very interesting postseason.

Bruno
05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
With the Spurs working out a bunch of players projected to go in the first round

Aside of Draymond Green, I don't think Spurs have worked out another potential first round pick.

elemento
05-18-2012, 03:14 PM
I know most of you guys hate Blair, but i think he could net us a late 1st pick or an early 2nd round pick easily.

The Cavs, for example, has two early 2nd round picks and we could easily grab one of them for Blair. The Cavs has only 2 decent BIGs, Andy and TT.

Richie
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Considering how deep this draft is with big men, anyone think we might give up Splitter in a deal with Neal for a pick?

ffadicted
05-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Considering how deep this draft is with big men, anyone think we might give up Splitter in a deal with Neal for a pick?

No

Thomas82
05-19-2012, 12:17 AM

I wouldn't put it past our front office.

BackHome
05-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Not if you want a championship...:bang

Darkwaters
05-20-2012, 06:20 PM
I know most of you guys hate Blair, but i think he could net us a late 1st pick or an early 2nd round pick easily.

The Cavs, for example, has two early 2nd round picks and we could easily grab one of them for Blair. The Cavs has only 2 decent BIGs, Andy and TT.

That might be reasonable actually. Blair has always struck me as a guy who can be a standout player on a bad team. The Cavs seem like a perfect fit to be honest.

tesseractive
05-21-2012, 02:33 PM

If it were a good enough pick (i.e. if we thought we could get a future All-Star), I think it's possible. If there is some kind of team looking for an above-average center that already has enough talented kids and wants a mature veteran who still has plenty of years left, anything's possible.

It might be workable if we thought Lorbek was NBA-ready (and willing to sign for the LLE), though we'd sure be giving up a lot in terms of defensive depth in the post. The best case for getting the draft pick would be if we could get a really good post player, so maybe Lorbek + some really good young athletic post player is a workable second unit in the post next year.

Of course, if just the right guy isn't available, it would be crazy to trade Tiago.

Mel_13
05-23-2012, 10:32 AM
NBA announces 60 invitations to Chicago draft combine:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-announces-60-invitations-chicago-182124550--nba.html

TheCerebral1
05-24-2012, 03:59 PM

There's no way Splitter is traded. Considering his handle, passing, and defensive capabilities as well as being able to run there is little chance. Blair, and other talents may be more available. Who knows. I didn't expect George Hill to be traded last year.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Jonathan Givony says on his Y! mock draft that it's pretty common knowledge that Houston's second first round pick, #16 overall, is likely in play.

mountainballer
06-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Chad Ford is just twittering the masurements from the combine!

Chad Ford: I have official measurements from #NBACombine Brad Beal6' 3.25" socks 6' 4.75" shoes and 6' 8" wing 8' 3" reach about 17 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Kendall Marshall 6'3.25" socks 6' 4.25" shoes and 6' 5.5" wing 7' 10.5" reach 1 minute ago

Chad Ford: Jeremy Lamb 6' 4" socks 6' 5.25" shoes and 6' 11" wing 8' 5" reach 3 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Perry Jones 6' 10.25" socks 6' 11.5" shoes and 7' 1.75" wing 8' 10.5" reach 4 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Austin Rivers 6' 3.5" socks 6' 5" shoes and 6' 7.25" wing 8' 1" reach 4 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Dion Waiters 6' 2.5" socks 6' 4" shoes and 6' 7.35" wing 8' 2" reach about 5 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Damian Lillard 6'1.75" socks 6' 2.75" shoes and 6' 7.5" wing 8' 0" reach about 6 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Jared Sullinger 6' 7.75" socks 6' 9" shoes and 7' 1.25" wing 8' 11" reach about 7 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Terrence Jones 6' 8.25" socks 6' 9.5" shoes and 7' 2.5" wing 8' 9.5 reach about 9 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 6' 5.75" socks 6' 7.5" shoes and 7' 0" wing 8'8.5" reach. Great measurement for him #NBACombine about 11 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Thomas Robinson 6' 7.75" socks 6' 8.75" shoes and 7' 3.25" wing 8' 10" reach about 12 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Andre Drummond 6' 9.75" socks 6' 11.75" shoes and 7' 6.25" wing 9' 1.5" reach. FREAKY about 14 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Anthony Davis 6' 9.25" socks 6' 10.5" shoes and 7' 5.5" wing 9' 0" reach about 15 minutes ago

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1xCzqQutF

mountainballer
06-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Chad Ford: Highest body fat: J'Covan Brown. 12.5% Lowest Jared Cunningham 3.6% 1 minute ago

Chad Ford: John Henson 6' 9" socks 6' 10.5" shoes and 7' 5" wing 9' 3.5" reach 2 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Meyers Leonard 6' 11.75" socks 7' 1.25" shoes and 7' 3" wing 9' 0.5" reach 3 minutes ago

Chad Ford: Tyler Zeller 6' 11.25" socks 7' 0.5" shoes and 7' 0" wing 8' 8" reach 4 minutes ago

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1xD0m23S2

mountainballer
06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
pictures from a list he obviously has taken with his mobile.....

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/211090854654386176/photo/1/large
http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/211090879375613953/photo/1/large

mountainballer
06-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Bobcats are shopping the #2 pick.
guess MJ is afraid to once more blow this one.
talking to Grizzlies about Rudy Gay?

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/06/06/12/NBA-Rumors--Draft-News-Day-3/landing.html?blockID=742226&feedID=8888

yavozerb
06-08-2012, 10:51 AM
pictures from a list he obviously has taken with his mobile.....

Robinson measuring almost 6'9 is huge for his draft status..

mountainballer
06-08-2012, 11:03 AM
yes, I think Robinson, Beal and Henson are the winners of this measurements.

Robinson is big enough for PF (great wingspan as well), Beal at almost 6'5 is big enough for a NBA 2 and Henson has fantastic numbers for a shot blocker and defensive specialist. Terrence Jones at almost 6'10 will help his stock big time as well. (should push him into lottery area)

CGD
06-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Drummond has crazy measurements too.

taps
06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
When I think about Spurs tradeable assets it's something like:
+Neal
+Blair
+Green
+Splitter
+2013 first round
+2nd round bags of chips.
-Maybe not Lorbek or Bonner, not familiar with Mills's sitchy.

That's 6 things (disclaimer don't know CBA restrictions here). I guess different combinations would bring different player(s). Unlikely the whole roster gets gutted to bring an all-nba 1stTeamer, but some of these guys are pretty good players and if you let go of a bunch of them FO will probably make it worth it - like high lotto time//veteran impact center//etc. Leonard basically only took Hill and 2012 first rounder.

I don't see the Spurs farting around too much trying to get late first rounders and more 2nd rounders, they seem more interested in 'can you make an impact now'? I like it leave the sentimentalism for guys who win playoff games.

Drom John
06-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Hollinger bigs:
Anthony Davis
Jared Sullinger
Thomas Robinson
Draymond Green
Terrence Jones
Royce White
Furkan Aldemir
John Henson
Andre Drummond
Henry Sims
Perry Jones III
Leon Radosevic
JaMychel Green
Drew Gordon
Tyler Zeller
Anderew Nicholson
Quincy Acy
Fab Melo
Mike Scott
Robert Sacre
Cameron Moore
Meyers Leonard
Festus Ezeli
Arnett Moultrie

Last year, Hollinger's overall #5 was Kawhi Leonard.

AFBlue
06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
FWIW, Hollinger caveats in his article that the calculation does not heavily weigh defense, which could legitimately effect draft stock of a couple players; he named Sully and Draymond Green.

-21-
06-20-2012, 04:31 AM
So far the bigs that I think would fit well are John Henson, Terrence Jones, and Bernard James.

Bruno
06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Early entry list withdrawal:
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/06/20/early-entry-release/index.html

For #59, there is a good chance Spurs do a draft and stash with an Europe or with a college player ready to go in Europe (like James Gist). Looking closely at the international early entry list is interesting because Spurs pick might be in it.

7 international players early enters in the draft:
- 1 player (Fournier) should be drafted in the late first round .
- 4 players (Aldemir, Franch, Shengelia and Satoransky) have a good chance of being drafted in the second round. If Aldemir, Franch or Satoransky are available at #59, they would eb great picks.
- 2 players (Omic and Wojciechowski) aren't projected to be drafted. However, Omic is young and intriguing. I wouldn't be surprised that a team has made him a promise and that's why he is staying in the draft. Spurs at #59 could be that team.

Other than that, Spurs could too draft a player born in 1990. I like a lot Papanikolaou. Nihad Djedovic seems to be a fine prospect too but I don't really know him. Aside of them, the crop of 1990 born players seems weak.

pad300
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Hey Bruno, have you seen Ilkan Karaman play? 1990 Born, playing in Turkey.

Bruno
06-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Hey Bruno, have you seen Ilkan Karaman play? 1990 Born, playing in Turkey.

I've never seen him play.

pad300
06-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I've never seen him play.

Damn, I was hoping for Euro insight. Statistically, he looks pretty good. My current hopes for #59 are Eric Griffin or Ilkan Karaman...Either could be a pretty useful piece.

Bruno
06-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Last year, there were 46 workouts reported. This year it's 16 workouts so far with the draft being in less than a week. In these 16 workouts, only one (Draymond Green) is projected as a first round pick. Most of these 16 workouts were done too in mid May.

While it surely wasn't easy for Spurs to have good players working out for them with only the 59th pick, it looks too they have been relatively quiet this year. While it's impossible to draw definite conclusion from that, it surely looks like Spurs aren't that actively looking at draft prospects this year.

Andthentherewas21
06-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Given what pieces they do have, and the people that would want them, I think their options are pretty limited. As Timvp has said in one of the Drummond forums, the only real way the Spurs move up is if someone like Portland falls in love with Splitter and is willing to package one of their picks around a Splitter centric deal.

mountainballer
06-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Last year, there were 46 workouts reported. This year it's 16 workouts so far with the draft being in less than a week. In these 16 workouts, only one (Draymond Green) is projected as a first round pick. Most of these 16 workouts were done too in mid May.

While it surely wasn't easy for Spurs to have good players working out for them with only the 59th pick, it looks too they have been relatively quiet this year. While it's impossible to draw definite conclusion from that, it surely looks like Spurs aren't that actively looking at draft prospects this year.

Spurs just seem to do their homework, maybe even thinking about the Toro's roster more than the Spurs roster.
but judging from the reported workouts it seems as if they focus on PF and PG, which would make sense for the Spurs roster as well.
guys like Kyle O'Quinn and Jamychal Green should be gone at #59, but we know that some players slip, for whatever reason. a trade for a higher 2nd rounder also seems to be more realistic, than a 1st rounder. Cavs, Warriors, Blazers are for sure willing to listen to offers for one of their multiple 2nd rounders.

O'Quinn I would like to see at the Spurs. might have the potential to flourish like Taj Gibson in a compareable role.

timvp
06-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Yeah, it really looks like:

1. The Spurs aren't interested in this draft. It could be the reason why they didn't think twice about trading away the first round pick to the Warriors. (Then again, getting rid of RJ was likely the main reason for that.)

2. The Spurs already know who they want. If they have their eyes on a player or two, their energy is probably focused on finding a way to trade up rather than looking at other prospects.

3. The Spurs have gone into ultra CIA mode and are finding ways to workout prospects without it hitting the news. Not sure how they'd do this -- though they could just tell prospects to STFU ... or they could be sending their scouts to workouts with other teams.

I'm leaning toward #1 being the truth. It would make sense that if you are bringing in De Colo and/or Lorbek, you probably don't have room for yet another inexperienced player. For the first time in a long while, the Spurs really don't need to get younger.

timvp
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
After a great EuroCamp and now strong workouts, French guard Paul Lacombe seems to be emerging as an intriguing draft and stash 2nd rounder.

Anyone know anything about Paul Lacombe?

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Spurs pulled a large move last year for a guy in Kawhi that they didn't even workout, correct?

Bruno
06-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Anyone know anything about Paul Lacombe?

I saw him play an handful of times this year and he is nothing special. Based on what I've seen, he isn't at all a legit draft prospect. He is neither good nor hasn't some kind of untapped potential.

loveforthegame
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
2. The Spurs already know who they want. If they have their eyes on a player or two, their energy is probably focused on finding a way to trade up rather than looking at other prospects.

I'm hoping it's this option but fear it's going to be number 1.

I'm not even talking a splashy trade like last year but just something that moves them up into the top half of the 2nd round.

SamoanTD
06-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Kyle O'Quinn
Bernard James
Henry Sims

Come on Spurs make it happen. Just one.:hungry:

Beanzamillion21
06-25-2012, 10:39 AM
So as of today, do the Spurs have any other interviews scheduled or how does that work? Is there a cut off date the week of the draft?

DPG21920
06-25-2012, 03:48 PM
So does anyone think Blair has to essentially be moved either draft night or shortly after?

pad300
06-25-2012, 04:51 PM
So does anyone think Blair has to essentially be moved either draft night or shortly after?

I'm not sure I'd call it essential (ie. accept a loss in value to do so - say adding a pick). I'm pretty sure that we will try to do just that, with Blair, Neal, Bonner and maybe Cory Joseph as trading chips. The other big thing that they might try for is some sort of sign and trade deal - 2 names that come up are Ersan Illyasova and Kevin Garnett. Both might be pipe dreams, but we should try anyways. Particularly KG...

CGD
06-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Yeah man. I think we're all expecting too much though. I wouldn't hold my breath for draft night George hill 2.0. Our rookie (hopefully more than one) will come from abroad this year.

elemento
06-25-2012, 05:06 PM
i think Blair will be moved for a late 1st or an early 2nd round pick.

Bruno
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Spurs might very well stick with Blair and gave up on Bonner. Pop seriously went away from Bonner at the end of the season. He played a total of 3 minutes in the last 3 games against OKC.

TD 21
06-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Spurs might very well stick with Blair and gave up on Bonner. Pop seriously went away from Bonner at the end of the season. He played a total of 3 minutes in the last 3 games against OKC.

Yeah, but part of that was the fact that he had no logical match-up against the Thunder. They play an eight and a half man rotation, with essentially one true power forward (technically, it's two, but Collison really plays more backup center than power forward). He'd have had to have been shooting lights out to have even had the slightest chance at playing more than spot minutes in that match-up.

I do think they could give up on him now though, since it's a virtual lock that one of Diaw or Lorbek will be on the roster next season. And there's far more cost effective options available (Radmanovic, Harangody, Murphy, Tolliver, Novak, Brackins, Cook) if they want a second stretch four.

As for Blair, he's not a fit either way. Presuming Diaw re-signs, Blair won't be starting and he's not a fit next to Splitter, so he won't be in the rotation. The only scenario (barring a trade) where he fits, is if they pick Lorbek over Diaw, start Splitter and Blair and Lorbek become the backup bigs, with Bonner as the fifth. Suffice it to say, I don't see that happening.

Vic Petro
06-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Holding out hope for O'Quinn + Bernard James.

LakerHater
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Why dont the Spurs draft a ref?

loveforthegame
06-25-2012, 08:15 PM

I think both Blair and Bonner need to go.

T Park
06-25-2012, 08:20 PM
I saw him play an handful of times this year and he is nothing special. Based on what I've seen, he isn't at all a legit draft prospect. He is neither good nor hasn't some kind of untapped potential.

sounds like Corey Joseph.

So the Spurs will be drafting him....

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Rockets trade Chase Budinger to the Wolves for the #18 pick. Houston begins putting together their attempt at getting Dwight Howard.

pad300
06-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Draft ratings from some good but obscure-ish web people:

Just about every North American prospect, rated by the wages of wins people:
http://wagesofwins.com/2012/06/25/2012-nba-draft-extravaganza-the-rankings/
Also,
http://hoopsanalyst.com/
has a pretty interesting viewpoint on players, backed up with decent stats analysis.

elemento
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Chase Budinger is worth the 18th pick and we can't get at least a late 1st for Blair ? Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.

Ditty
06-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Well it helps a lot that Rick Adelmen loved Chase when he was in Houston, and will probably be a better talent then whoever is at 18 anyways. Blair being benched late in the season may have hurt his trade value quite a bit.

MR-Clutch
06-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Also,
has a pretty interesting viewpoint on players, backed up with decent stats analysis.

"The Spurs knew something (they always know something) . The Spurs trading away a late first rounder (where they typically kill it) to get rid of Richard Jefferson should have been a clear sign. There are 18 players getting the approval of the draft model, 10 of them are either available in round 2 or as undrafted players. Any takers on at least a few winding up in San Antonio?":hat

DesignatedT
06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Damn Spurs couldn't try to get that 18th? Budinger isn't that good of a prospect.

Vic Petro
06-26-2012, 09:57 PM
If GS can't get Deng, do they entertain Splitter/Neal/Bonner for Biedrins + #7?

T Park
06-26-2012, 10:03 PM
If GS can't get Deng, do they entertain Splitter/Neal/Bonner for Biedrins + #7?

For Biedrins yes, plus a number 7 lottery pick?!?

Are you high?

Splitter >> Biedrins..

Plus he never healthy, worse than Splitter.

Ice009
06-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Damn Spurs couldn't try to get that 18th? Budinger isn't that good of a prospect.

Adelman's the coach though, and they traded for a player he knows.

Spurs da champs
06-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Adelman's the coach though, and they traded for a player he knows.
Not an ideal trade tho, considering how deep this draft it. But it helps that you're dealing with Kahn.

elemento
06-27-2012, 10:58 PM
to be fair with Kahn, I am sure Aldeman was the responsible for the trade. He probably asked for Budinger.

To me the trade was still terrible for Minny. They should have used it + Derrick Williams to move up in the draft and get a SG/SF. Williams will always be Love's backup as long as he is in Minny and they still don't have a decent starting SG or a SF.

elemento
06-27-2012, 10:58 PM
to be fair with Kahn, I am sure Aldeman was the responsible for the trade. He probably asked for Budinger.

To me the trade was still terrible for Minny. They should have used it + Derrick Williams to move up in the draft and get a SG/SF. Williams will always be Love's backup as long as he is in Minny and they still don't have a decent starting SG or a SF.

Ice009
06-27-2012, 11:12 PM
The point is, Adelman probably wanted one of his former players, so really, the Spurs had no chance at getting that pick.

MR-Clutch
06-28-2012, 09:31 AM
My favorite day of the summer. Im dying with anticipation, I am really hoping the spurs make a move today.

MR-Clutch
06-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Bruno, will the spurs be allowed to trade the rights to Danny Green or would that not be possible?

smaka
06-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Bruno, will the spurs be allowed to trade the rights to Danny Green or would that not be possible?

I think it's not possible since he is a free agent. They would have to sign him first.

DesignatedT
06-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk
Report: Bulls to draft Kansas’ Tyshawn Taylor at No. 29 http://dlvr.it/1n6WkW #PBT #NBA

TheCerebral1
06-28-2012, 03:32 PM
warriors interested in blair?

4:22pm et
san antonio spurs

.mod-page-actions{margin:0px !important;}

recommend (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnb a%2ffeatures%2frumors%2f_%2fid%2f25861&t=warriors+interested+in+blair%3f)0 (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnb a%2ffeatures%2frumors%2f_%2fid%2f25861&t=warriors+interested+in+blair%3f)
comments (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors/_/id/25861)0 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors/_/id/25861)
email (http://sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/sendtofriend?url=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com% 2fnba%2ffeatures%2frumors%2f_%2fid%2f25861&title=warriors+interested+in+blair%3f)

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/sas.gif (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sas) in an effort to open up a roster spot, san antonio is reportedly shopping dejuan blair (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3965/dejuan-blair) and they may have a taker from the western conference.
Adrian wojnarowski of yahoo! Sports reported the news first this morning (https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/218370280664465408), and jonathan givony of draftexpress.com followed that up with this tweet (https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/218409228166103042) suggesting that golden state is interested in the powerful 6-foot-7 forward. The big question is what it will take to complete the deal. The warriors have four draft picks that they can use in negotiations, including the no. 30 pick they acquired from the spurs in march's richard jefferson (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1006/richard-jefferson)-stephen jackson (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/378/stephen-jackson) deal.
If the warriors and spurs can strike a deal, it could be a deal that benefits both teams -- and that's what trades are supposed to do, right? Golden state would get a cheap, experienced rebounder to play behind david lee (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2772/david-lee) at the four, while san antonio would gain a roster spot for one of their earlier european draft picks like erazem lorbek to come over next season.
Link: Espn insider

ajballer4
06-28-2012, 03:34 PM
What are the odds we get our pick back

DesignatedT
06-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Alex Kennedy: The Oklahoma City Thunder may end up moving the No. 28 pick:

DesignatedT
06-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Alvaro Martin: ESPNSIG: #SanAntonioSpurs lead NBA with 15 non-US players drafted of 27 total picks since 1999

DesignatedT
06-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Among teams trying to move into lottery, belief is Sacramento (5th pick) and Golden State (7th) will make trade decisions "on the clock."
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Sources say Royce White getting serious interest from Houston at 12,16, + 18. Boston + Memphis also very interested.

DPG21920
06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I am not surprised at all by the Blair news. I said I felt Blair had to be moved for many of the reasons stated. I don't think they should give him away, but if they get a first rounder (anything close to 20) they have to do it obviously.

Its strange that so many things are going public that normally don't (Spurs and Blair, Spurs and Beal, Spurs and ...)

ace3g
06-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Good stuff just now on SC from @Chris_Broussard: Cleveland has discussed dealing Anderson Varejao for No. 7 (Warriors) and No. 12 (Rockets)

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

sources: Charlotte talking with Cavs and Rockets about trading #2 pick. not sure if teams making separate offers or if it's a 3-way trade.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Also from @Chris_Broussard on SportsCenter: Bobcats narrow five potential trade partners for No. 2 pick to two teams (Cavs and Rockets)

DesignatedT
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
^^ I would love to see Blair out there trying to guard Duncan.

Spurtacus
06-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Cavs offer 4, 24, 33 pick for Bobcats 2, 31

Cavs want Bradley Beal

timtonymanu
06-28-2012, 06:00 PM
:hungry:

Can't wait for an anti-climatic NBA draft. Then again, I said the same about the 2012 Trade Deadline.

Spurtacus
06-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Chad Ford's latest mock.

1. Davis
2. Robinson
3. Beal
4. MKG
5. Drummond
6. Lillard
7. Waiters
8. Barnes
9. Henson
10. Rivers
11. Zeller
12. Leonard
13. Lamb
14. Rose
15. Moultrie
16. Harkless
17. Jones, T.
18. Marshall
19. Teague
20. White
21. Nicholson
22. Sullinger
23. Fournier
24. Jones, P.
25. Wroten
26. Melo
27. Ezeli
28. Green
29. Barton
30. Miller

dragonpride2001
06-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Excited to see what happens

Chieflion
06-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Can't wait. Just 18 minutes to go for the most dynamic period of the NBA. Hope we are in the mix for something amazing.

DesignatedT
06-28-2012, 06:16 PM
If Cleveland wants Beal they are going to have to get that #2 pick because Beal isn't slipping past Washington at 3.

Brazil
06-28-2012, 06:18 PM
this is the thread ?

Chieflion
06-28-2012, 06:20 PM
this is the thread ?

This is probably it unless someone creates a draft day blog.

DPG21920
06-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Smoke, not fire draft?

Mel_13
06-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Also,

"The Spurs knew something (they always know something) . The Spurs trading away a late first rounder (where they typically kill it) to get rid of Richard Jefferson should have been a clear sign. There are 18 players getting the approval of the draft model, 10 of them are either available in round 2 or as undrafted players. Any takers on at least a few winding up in San Antonio?":hat

9 players were selected by both models in the wages of wins analysis. Denmon was one of them.