PDA

View Full Version : Ben Wallace Hate?

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Here in Houston, I am a rather ostentatious Spurs fan. Lately, I've been getting a lot of "well-wishing" from people who say they want to see the Spurs beat "that bunch of thugs" from Detroit.

When I ask them to specify which Pistons players they think are thugs, they're kind of left speechless for a moment, then stammer something about "that wild-looking guy with the Afro."

I then explain that his name is Ben Wallace, and that his off-court activity mostly consists of going home to his wife and flipping burgers on the grill for his kids while they play. I ask them what makes them think he's a thug.

"Oh, ah -- well, uh... he just looks... uh, well I think he's a thug, OK?"

Fuckin' racists.

E20
06-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Was his name Dirty_Sanchez?

Just tell people like that to fuck off and go bury themselves.

SpursWoman
06-20-2005, 06:04 PM
I like Ben Wallace....WTF?

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 06:05 PM
So do I....those people are fools.

Big Pimp_21
06-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Ben Wallace is good people (off the court)

T Park
06-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Ben Wallace??

You mean the very respectfull person in the media??

"Next question"

The guy might be an alright guy, but hes classless when its in the media/

Also, the Spurs dont do anything at all, its alll the PISTONS screwing up.

Fuck Buckwheat.

SpursWoman
06-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Ben Wallace??

You mean the very respectfull person in the media??

"Next question"

The guy might be an alright guy, but hes classless when its in the media/

Also, the Spurs dont do anything at all, its alll the PISTONS screwing up.

Fuck Buckwheat.

Yeah, but his team is down 2-3 and headed toward extremely hostile territory. Bettcha he's still going to get on the plane.

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 06:09 PM
"next question" is actually a very respectful way of not answering a question. I would rather that then Sheed and one of his profanity laced bitch fests.

Gatita
06-20-2005, 06:09 PM
going home to his wife

The one who said he had a mediocre performance... :lol

T Park
06-20-2005, 06:13 PM
next question" is actually a very respectful way of not answering a question

The Spurs answer them all, they dont get a ugly look on their face and say witha attitude "Next question"

Fuck Buckwheat.

E20
06-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Haha :lmao.
TPARK you are so wrong when the Spurs answer every question!

Q. You've got a chance, one game away from yet another title, can you just talk about how you feel personally about this great run you have? I mean, there's not many NBA coaches that have won three or more NBA titles, and you're closing in on that.
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Is there another question?

Q. I mean, you don't want to any of the credit, that's a pretty incredible feat.
COACH GREGG POPOVICH: Any other questions?

Oh wait it's alright for Pop to do it, he has a lighter skin tone.

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 06:16 PM
yes they do but what Wallace did is better than the alternative.

T Park
06-20-2005, 06:17 PM
just heard on Ticket 760

how about MASON saying

BBBBBBBB BUCKWHEAT!!!!

lmaoooooo

Or how about this picture

Tayshaun Prince = Curious George????

LMAO THAT WAS THE THOMPSONS WITH THAT ONE!!!

SouthernFried
06-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Nobody's freakin' racist about Ben.

He's just one scary, mean-looking dood. He looks like a thug...even tho I hear he's one of the nicer guys in the league.

SpursFanDan
06-20-2005, 06:18 PM
E20, he doesnt want to answer a question about something he hasn't even done yet. That reporter must of been from the detroit news.. looking for a jinx, or motivation.

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Nobody's freakin' racist about Ben.

He's just one scary, mean-looking dood. He looks like a thug...even tho I hear he's one of the nicer guys in the league.Nah, I know what these people mean. They don't like the way he looks, and they don't want to hear what he's really like, because they have their image of a scary black man to hate, and they don't want it challenged. They don't want to humanize him.

peskypesky
06-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Whoever says stuff like that about Ben Wallace is racist scum.

I'm a Spurs fan, and I want them to win the Championship, but that doesn't keep me from liking the Pistons or Ben Wallace.

I have huge respect and liking for Ben Wallace. I love his game AND I love his fro. I wish Tim would grow one, or at least some dreadlocks.

SpursFanDan
06-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Tim with a fro?... hum

Gatita
06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
I wish Tim would grow one, or at least some dreadlocks.

Your crazy! Tim looks great just the way he is. What's wrong with being clean cut?

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
apparently that makes you "boring"

Gatita
06-20-2005, 06:37 PM
apparently that makes you "boring"

That makes him fucking HOTT!!!

E20
06-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Either way it is a question. Larry Brown was asked a question similar to that when they tied it 2-2 and replied: Next question, I don't care who it is anybody can say next question to any type of question they want.

Oh wait and yes I was expecting someone to comment on the what the question exactly was.

DetroitFolly
06-20-2005, 06:41 PM
just heard on Ticket 760

how about MASON saying

BBBBBBBB BUCKWHEAT!!!!

lmaoooooo

LMAO THAT WAS THE THOMPSONS WITH THAT ONE!!!

That's hilarious, you jerk.
:rolleyes

JustEnough
06-20-2005, 06:44 PM
I hate him because he's a Piston. And the Pistons are the one team standing between us and Mr. O'Brien.

Fair enough?

E20
06-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Actually, Big Ben answered every question that was thrown at him. Even all the ones about his hair that seemed to annoy him pretty damn much.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Tim with a fro?... hum

Oh, there's a photoshop idea. Somebody out there morph Ben and Tim.

SouthernFried
06-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm not racist...and I think BEN is one scary lookin' dood.

You can think someones scary looking without being racist. Hell, there are plenty of white doods that are scary looking as well. You ever see Lyle Alzado or Jack Lambert? Or pick any hockey player...it don't matter, none of 'em have any teeth.

I dislike knee jerk "they must be racist" comments.

T Park
06-20-2005, 06:49 PM
That's hilarious, you jerk.

Hahaha.

Youve been "Horry-fied"

Take a joke piston fan, I still think you guys are winning it all.

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm not racist...and I think BEN is one scary lookin' dood.

You can think someones scary looking without being racist. Hell, there are plenty of white doods that are scary looking as well. You ever see Lyle Alzado or Jack Lambert? Or pick any hockey player...it don't matter, none of 'em have any teeth.

I dislike knee jerk "they must be racist" comments.

You're just being defensive for whatever reason. Sounds like you've been unfairly attacked as racist a few times.

This wasn't unfair. They didn't call him "scary-looking." They called him a thug, as in a criminally-inclined dangerous person. And they specifically mentioned the Afro.

A person who is not racist might find it interesting that Ben Wallace is in fact a country boy who hunts, fishes, and fiddles with remote-control cars, even though he is one seriously intimdating-looking mofo. A person who is racist will receive all that information, furrow their brow, and entrench their stated postion that said person is a "thug" because he is a large dark person with an Afro.

Which is what happened. It wasn't you. You don't have to defend the pigs.

SouthernFried
06-20-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm not defending anyone. I'm annoyed at your presumption of racism.

Ben DOES look scary..and he DOES have an afro...and detroit has been called "thugs" more than once in the last 20 yrs.

So someone who looks at BEN, buys into the rep of Detroits history of being the "bad boys"...see's someone who is the meanest, toughest looking dood on the team...and labels him a thug...is just making a natural assumption. Even if it's a wrong one.

These are people who aren't into the game like us die-hards, and don't know the personal history of people like Ben. It's people who have bought into Detroits hyped bad-boy image and just transferred it to the meanest looking guy on the team...which IS Ben.

That coupled with the "brawl"...and its completely understandable how a casual fan would call Ben a thug.

To assume it's racism...is racism in itself. You are assuming these white people are racist withouth any factual evidence...just your bias and racist attitude that they must be.

And I dont care what color you are...that is a racist attitude.

peskypesky
06-20-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm not defending anyone. I'm annoyed at your presumption of racism.

Ben DOES look scary..and he DOES have an afro...and detroit has been called "thugs" more than once in the last 20 yrs.

So someone who looks at BEN, buys into the rep of Detroits history of being the "bad boys"...see's someone who is the meanest, toughest looking dood on the team...and labels him a thug...is just making a natural assumption. Even if it's a wrong one.

These are people who aren't into the game like us die-hards, and don't know the personal history of people like Ben. It's people who have bought into Detroits hyped bad-boy image and just transferred it to the meanest looking guy on the team...which IS Ben.

That coupled with the "brawl"...and its completely understandable how a casual fan would call Ben a thug.

To assume it's racism...is racism in itself. You are assuming these white people are racist withouth any factual evidence...just your bias and racist attitude that they must be.

And I dont care what color you are...that is a racist attitude.

So it's a "natural assumption" to be scared of a muscular black man with an afro? You mean that Ben's baby girl is scared of him when he looks at her or when he holds her in his arms? His wife gets scared when he goes to kiss her? His mom cringes in fear when he approaches?

As for me, I'm much more scared of people like you than I am of Ben Wallace.

duncan_21
06-20-2005, 07:40 PM
The thing I hate is that he isn't on the spurs. That's what I hate about him the most.

Spurminator
06-20-2005, 07:45 PM
The Pistons definitely have a more "urban" style, which doesn't sit well with the good folk down in these here parts... But it's not threatening by any stretch... They're far more similar to Fat Albert and the Gang than Tupac Shakur and his Gang.

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 08:00 PM
To assume it's racism...is racism in itself. You are assuming these white people are racist withouth any factual evidence...just your bias and racist attitude that they must be. Sorry... if someone say a person is a thug because he's large and black and has an Afro, and insists upon it even though he hears that the guy's a family man, and a decent fellow, that's bigoted and racist.

And based upon my personal experience, typically when somebody gets bent out of shape over having a spade called a spade like that, that person is sympathetic to racism.

"SouthernFried," huh? Where you from?

midgetonadonkey
06-20-2005, 08:03 PM
I say Fuck Ben Wallace now that we are playing against them in the Finals. But I have nothing but respect for the way he plays the game and his off-court image. I'm not going to say that he is a great person, cause I don't know the bastard.

ForestBrain
06-20-2005, 08:03 PM
I always thought Ben was kind of cute. I guess if him being serious makes him look like a thug....well, that's not all right. Quit calling him Buckwheat! That's so racist! In case you forgot, Tim, Bowen, Parker, and Nazr are all black. When will people learn to look past the color of another's skin?
You know what I would like to see? People dissing white people because they're white, LOL, now that would be justice.
BTW, I'm a white person.

nkdlunch
06-20-2005, 08:05 PM
You know what I would like to see? People dissing white people because they're white, LOL, now that would be justice.

That's already happening in dance clubs across the country :lol

SoundTheToll
06-20-2005, 08:08 PM

HAHA. :D True!

Anyway, I think one of the coolest things about Big Ben is that he's a huge remote control car guy. He makes them and races them in events for charities. Pretty cool.

And yes, when Ben Wallace first came to the Pistons the first thing I thought was that he was the scariest dude I've ever seen in pro sports. The guy is just huge, cut, and could beat the shit out of anyone that intices him. But he's a great person, great personality, and great family guy.

peskypesky
06-20-2005, 08:09 PM
I always thought Ben was kind of cute. I guess if him being serious makes him look like a thug....well, that's not all right. Quit calling him Buckwheat! That's so racist! In case you forgot, Tim, Bowen, Parker, and Nazr are all black. When will people learn to look past the color of another's skin?
BTW, I'm a white person.

Word.

BTW, I too am white.

nkdlunch
06-20-2005, 08:10 PM
The guy is just huge, cut, and could beat the shit out of anyone that intices him.

Almost anyone, remember he was Shaq's ragdoll for 7 games.

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 08:11 PM
I guess if I see a white guy with a mullet and a beer belly, I'm not being ignorant or bigoted if I assume he's trailer trash, even if somebody tells me he's actually head of the Chamber of Commerce.

And if anybody thinks I'm being ignorant then they're just racist, because what am I expected to think when I see a mullet?

midgetonadonkey
06-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Is it really racist to say he looks like Buckwheat? Is someone racist for thinking I look like a young Julio Eglesias? They look alike, not because they are black, but because they have afros.

peskypesky
06-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Is it really racist to say he looks like Buckwheat? Is someone racist for thinking I look like a young Julio Eglesias? They look alike, not because they are black, but because they have afros.

OH MY GOD!!

Another moron.

I guess I look like Johnny Depp because I'm white and have brown hair.

Have you ever heard of a face?

midgetonadonkey
06-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah but the fact their both of their hair is exagerrated makes it humorous and that is why they have been calling him that. I'm not saying the fuckers are twin brothers.

SenorSpur
06-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Regardless of the intent, it does "smack' of racism. Comparisons to Julio Iglesias and comparisons to thugs are two different things. One is a cosmetic comparison the other is a comparison based upon presumption of sterotyping.

I don't like the Pistons, but love Ben Wallace and his "rags to riches" story. If he wore a Spurs uniform, I guarantee he'd be a cult here in the mold of a Dennis Rodman or a Malik Rose.

Think what you want, but you cannot knock his selfless determination and relentless basketball prowess. Still can't shoot free throws, but after watching TD, who am I to talk? :)

SoundTheToll
06-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Almost anyone, remember he was Shaq's ragdoll for 7 games.

I think its safe to say Shaq is in his own class. ;)

dcole50
06-20-2005, 08:25 PM
i like big ben. the piston players who annoy me are rasheed and rip.

i don't care how ben addresses the media, really. i can look past that because he works hard and is very fun to watch on the defensive end. he's been great after the first two games.

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Almost anyone, remember he was Shaq's ragdoll for 7 games.He did as good a job on Shaq as anybody has. Maybe DRob did a little better back in 1999 or so.

Both guys understood the value of hard work on the defensive end.

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 08:27 PM
i like big ben. the piston players who annoy me are rasheed and rip.

i don't care how ben addresses the media, really. i can look past that because he works hard and is very fun to watch on the defensive end. he's been great after the first two games.Rasheed's a little bit of a punk. He was worse in Portland.

sickdsm
06-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I guess when i think thug with pistons i think of ben wallace's brother. I blame him for the fiasco after cup thrower guy, artest and SJackson.

DieMrBond
06-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Oh, there's a photoshop idea. Somebody out there morph Ben and Tim.

Just a quick dodge job, but you get the idea... :fro

http://members.iinet.net.au/~chippy/Tim_Duncan.jpg

Dont think it really works, do you?

Dre_7
06-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Someone posted a photoshoped Timmy a while ago. He was all tattoed up and stuff.

conversekid
06-20-2005, 09:12 PM
I don't like ben wallace -so what? I think he's a thug - so what? Why pull the race card out just because you think someone looks like a thug? I think eminem looks like a thug too... is it a desire to villainies the poor white kids from detroit? hey... i even think I look like a thug.. maybe I hate myself...

why does everything have to be about race?

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't like ben wallace -so what? I think he's a thug - so what? Why pull the race card out just because you think someone looks like a thug? I think eminem looks like a thug too... is it a desire to villainies the poor white kids from detroit? hey... i even think I look like a thug.. maybe I hate myself...

why does everything have to be about race?Maybe then you're just a general-issue moron. Ben Wallace is about as thuggish as David Robinson is.

Although I find it interesting that you say Ben Wallace IS a thug, while Eminem just looks like a thug.

NZHayden
06-20-2005, 09:20 PM
why does everything have to be about race?

is it because hes black?

SPARKY
06-20-2005, 09:26 PM
He is the enemy and I hate him. I hate Larry Brown, 'Sheed, and all of those motherfuckers.

ObiwanGinobili
06-20-2005, 09:27 PM
That makes him fucking HOTT!!!

nah.. timmy's not hot IMO. He sorta reminds me of a monkey. You know the sock monkey???
Manu- now there's a hottie. Although he needs a tan!!

Gatita
06-20-2005, 09:28 PM
is it because hes black?

:lmao

SPARKY
06-20-2005, 09:28 PM
This is basketball. Players are not "hot".

Browns_shadow
06-20-2005, 09:29 PM
I guess when i think thug with pistons i think of ben wallace's brother. I blame him for the fiasco after cup thrower guy, artest and SJackson.
I'm sure the image of Ben stalking and choking Artest has nothing to do with public perception of him.
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Gatita
06-20-2005, 09:30 PM
nah.. timmy's not hot IMO. He sorta reminds me of a monkey. You know the sock monkey???
Manu- now there's a hottie. Although he needs a tan!!

The man has brains, poise, and great sense of self. That is hott to me. :)

And yes, Manu is a Papasoté due to the fact that he has great hands...
handling the ball that is. :)

Gatita
06-20-2005, 09:31 PM

:lol I hope you wouldn't think so.

ObiwanGinobili
06-20-2005, 09:33 PM

au contrair.... some players are too hot!

conversekid
06-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm sure the image of Ben stalking and choking Artest has nothing to do with public perception of him.

And the winner is...

He's a thug because he's a thug... not because he's black. What does his skin color have to do with anything? I said I think I look like a thug... what's the point?

ForestBrain
06-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Define thug.
Manu is like a banana. It gets uglier and uglier with age.