PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw Buyout Complete (Update: Spurs Frontrunners)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spursfanfromafar
03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Charlotte Observer reports that the buyout has been agreed upon ..per twitter -

https://twitter.com/#!/rick_bonnell/status/182439919929663488

OBSSERVER EXCLUSIVE: Bobcats and Boris Diaw agree in principle on contract buyout. More coming.

bklynspursfan
03-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Charlotte Observer reports that the buyout has been agreed upon ..per twitter -

https://twitter.com/#!/rick_bonnell/status/182439919929663488

OBSSERVER EXCLUSIVE: Bobcats and Boris Diaw agree in principle on contract buyout. More coming.

well then... There you have it lol

Kuestmaster
03-21-2012, 07:24 AM
@johnhollinger

RT @rick_bonnell Bobcats and Boris Diaw agree in principle on contract buyout. More coming.

Hollinger also says Boston will go after him
Hope Parker can convince him to join the spurs. Boston ain't doing shit this year

Spursfanfromafar
03-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Interestingly, both ESPN and CNNSI - John Hollinger and Zach Lowe - seem to think that Boston have the upper hand in trying to get Diaw.. How they continue the tradition of underestimating Tony Parker :)

NASpurs
03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Interestingly, both ESPN and CNNSI - John Hollinger and Zach Lowe - seem to think that Boston have the upper hand in trying to get Diaw.. How they continue the tradition of underestimating Tony Parker :)

Didn't Stephen Jackson play with him in Charlotte? Hopefully they had some good chemistry and Jax can add some further influence to convincing him to play here.

Redshadows
03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
@johnhollinger

RT @rick_bonnell Bobcats and Boris Diaw agree in principle on contract buyout. More coming.

Hollinger also says Boston will go after him
Hope Parker can convince him to join the spurs. Boston ain't doing shit this year
As contender, Boston << SA.

jiggy_55
03-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Hopefully Parker has a say and can convince Diaw to come. If he's fit, he is a much better overall player then Blair and Bonner.

Spursfanfromafar
03-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Full report -

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2012/03/boris-diaw-charlotte-bobcats-agree-to-buyout.html

Relevant parts -

Power forward Boris Diaw and the Charlotte Bobcats have agreed on a buyout of his remaining contract that should be completed in time for Diaw to be eligible for another team’s playoff roster.

Bobcats vice president of basketball operations Rod Higgins confirmed that early Wednesday morning to the Observer. The buyout, which should be completed sometime today, would make Diaw a free agent in time to sign with a contender. Meanwhile the Bobcats open one of 15 roster spots and save some of what’s left of Diaw’s $9 million salary.

It’s not known just how much money Diaw agreed to give up for his freedom.

By agreeing to a buyout now, Diaw can be waived in time to potentially sign with a contender and be eligible for a playoff roster. San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker, Diaw’s close friend and French national-team teammate, recently said on a French radio program that Diaw would be welcome with the Spurs.

“He’s in shape,’’ Parker reportedly said. “I’m the first to make fun of him when he gains too much weight, but right now it’s not the case. We’re very interested to get him.’’

Diaw also might have had an opportunity with the New York Knicks, but that was likely scuttled when Mike D’Antoni, who coached Diaw in Phoenix, lost his job in New York.

mando6599
03-21-2012, 07:51 AM
What happened to the prospect of nabbing Chris Kaman? Why just all this Diaw talk? Anyone?

Wild Cobra Kai
03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
What happened to the prospect of nabbing Chris Kaman? Why just all this Diaw talk? Anyone?

Hornets won't buy Kaman out.

mando6599
03-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Hornets won't buy Kaman out.

Got it, thanks.

FlAVaK
03-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Didn't Stephen Jackson play with him in Charlotte?

They also both played for the Hawks in 03/04. Together with Jacque Vaughn, Theo Ratliff, Nazr Mohammed and Dion Glover who all played for the Spurs later on...

monkeypunk
03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
:hungry:

TJastal
03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
I'll bet his buyout was less than half.

timvp
03-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I have my concerns about Diaw but the Spurs MUST go all out for him. Blair just doesn't work in his current role and the Spurs need more closing options than just Bonner (especially since Pop doesn't play Splitter). Bonner's success shows this team can thrive with a stretch four on the floor and Diaw is definitely a stretch four.

Diaw's passiveness might have Pop strangling him by the end of his first week as a Spur but it's a gamble the Spurs have to take.

DPG21920
03-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Spurs aren't stupid. They know they need a big. They were waiting for this. They will pursue, so it just depends on what Boris wants.

Redshadows
03-21-2012, 08:24 AM
I want to see this starting line ---- Parker, Jackson, Leonard, Diaw, Duncan.

DBMethos
03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Medium risk, medium reward...I'd say go for it.

RodNIc91
03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
How fast can Diaw catch the system? Will he be able to make an immediate impact? Will he be given the opportunity?

stéphane
03-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Little gamble but it's only for three months.

I would say that right now, Diaw is seen as "passive" when playing for a loosing team. If he wants to be in the NBA next year for a decent amount of $$$ he has to prove that he can still provide something interesting in 20ish minutes for a contender.

Hooks
03-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Doesn't look like the Spurs will be able to get Turiaf so that leaves Hickson and Diaw available. Seems like the Spurs have the best chance at getting Diaw, Hickson seems like a band wagon pussy and will join the heat.

Nathan89
03-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Tony Parker misses Wolves game for a recruiting assignment.

purist
03-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I have my doubts that anyone joining Spurs this late in season will have much impact, unless they have previous experience in the system like SJax.
At this point if Oberto wanted to try a comeback, I'd take him.

DIaw is probably worth the risk, but over the longer term. Wouldn't expect a big impact this year. He'd be more of an insurance policy for playoffs.

MaNu4Tres
03-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Spurs aren't stupid. They know they need a big. They were waiting for this. They will pursue, so it just depends on what Boris wants.

This.

Also, I've watched many of his best games this season in recent weeks (via NBA LeaguePass Archive) and I have to admit I'm not overly impressed with his fundamental aggression. Maybe it has to do with playing for the Bobcats, but Boris floated through most of these games (much like R.J) and was lackadaisical on the defensive end when he needed to move his feet aggressively (his pick and roll defense was pathetic along with his effort on the boards).

That being said, I hope a change of venue in a winning atmosphere can give him extra motivation, not only on the court but also at the dinner table.

Spurs have to go after him though, given their thin depth in the front-court.

If he does choose the Spurs, R.C and Pop should put him on a strict diet and put him through a work-out boot-camp for 2-3 weeks before suiting him up tbh.

bklynspursfan
03-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Doesn't look like the Spurs will be able to get Turiaf so that leaves Hickson and Diaw available. Seems like the Spurs have the best chance at getting Diaw, Hickson seems like a band wagon pussy and will join the heat.

Last I saw Hickson is signing with the warriors.

CubanMustGo
03-21-2012, 08:50 AM
One would hope the close friendship Tony and Boris have would help motivate Diaw to play at a higher level of urgency than he did for the Bobpussies. That said, I'll be surprised to see him sign here.

Mal
03-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Shit starts getting interesting.

loveforthegame
03-21-2012, 08:54 AM
First step done. At least now we won't have long to wait to see where he goes.

Darkwaters
03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Everything points to this being his first choice.

1) Personal friendship with Parker
2) Spurs have money to spend above the veteran minimum
3) Spurs need a bigman
4) Diaw may be able to start here
5) Spurs should be competitive in the playoffs and are considered a contender

Now that doesn't mean that his signing in SA is a sure thing. But I'd say we're clearly out front.

jiggy_55
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
@NBAFantasy
RT @stevereed_ap: Agent for Boris Diaw confirms he's reached a buyout with Bobcats. Look for Diaw to be with new team by end of the day.

This guy writes for the AP in Charlotte, though how can Diaw be with a new team by end of day if he has to clear a waiver period of 48 hrs?

Dex
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Diaw signing with Miami Heat in 3..2...

cheguevara
03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
fuck it. diaw is a pussy and a has been. But if the stars align the right way, he possibly could be better than playoff Bonner/Blair

Dex
03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
@NBAFantasy
RT @stevereed_ap: Agent for Boris Diaw confirms he's reached a buyout with Bobcats. Look for Diaw to be with new team by end of the day.

This guy writes for the AP in Charlotte, though how can Diaw be with a new team by end of day if he has to clear a waiver period of 48 hrs?

IIRC he has to sign by Friday if he wants to be playoff eligible.

jiggy_55
03-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Friday sounds right. But that guy says look for him to be with a new team by end of day, which is impossible in case he is picked up by one of teams below the cap limit, no?

Dex
03-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Take it for what it's worth....

John Schuhmann ‏ @johnschuhmann
RT @valdu08: Parker has a radio show every monday night, he made it very clear that Diaw was on his way to SA.

To me, Parker's comments didn't indicate that Diaw was coming, just that the Spurs were interested.

Nathan89
03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
@NBAFantasy

Trying to sign with us quickly so he can play the Friday game.

:flag:

Quadzilla99
03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
The Hollinger review of this guy is hilarious:

+ Ballhandling combo forward held back by increasingly poor conditioning.

+ Sees floor well but often eschews easy shots to make pass. Midrange shooter.

+ Good defensive player. Strong and moves feet well. Subpar rebounder.

Whoever wrote that French people don't get fat clearly never went to a Bobcats game. Although Diaw's conditioning has had surprisingly little effect on his game, he's clearly been living large of late. It hasn't affected his hunger for passing, however, as he led all power forwards in Pure Point Rating and assist ratio.

Diaw eats up small defenders on the left block, where he has a nice right-handed jump hook shot, but the hard part is persuading him to shoot. He averaged just 13.3 points per 40 minutes, even though he's become a decent mid-range shooter that hit 44.6 percent of his long 2s last season and shot 34.5 percent on 3s. He chews up most big men off the dribble, too, with his superior ballhandling skills, but in spite of all that he finished below the league average for power forwards in usage rate.

His rebounding famine is another problem. While Diaw has advantages in most respects at the power forward spot, he rebounds like a wing. His conditioning is part of the issue, plus he's not a leaper and he's a bit undersized. He was second-to-last among power forwards in rebound rate at a pathetic 9.0.

Defensively, Diaw once digested opposing power forwards with ease but increasingly burps up scoring chances. He makes up for being a bit short by having superior strength, which helps his post defense, but his conditioning has slowed him a bit in help defense and he provides nothing on the boards. His defensive numbers had been very strong earlier in this career, but last season they were quite ordinary across the board.

All told, it's tough to swallow the idea that Diaw can remain a starter for long. His PER remains below the league average and he's not providing enough defense to compensate. Relegating him to sixth man while promoting Tyrus Thomas is an idea the Bobcats should chew on.

Sperone Italiano
03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
I think he's a very interesting player: he can do (almost) everything on a basketball floor: he can shoot the ball, pass it very well, he can dribble, has a good low post tecnique.

However, according to me he's not the kind of player we need: he would just be the umpteenth small big man in our roster (joining Bonner and Blair), and he would not add the skills we desperately need.

I would have tried to make an attempt to get Marcus Camby before the trade deadline: he's tall, a very solid rebounder and defender, can definitely give 20-25 minutes of solid defence versus Bynum/Gasol.

Kindergarten Cop
03-21-2012, 09:14 AM

I don't think that he has to be SIGNED by Friday, he just cannot sign with a new team and be eligible for the Playoffs if he is not RELEASED/WAIVED by Friday. I believe he could wait until the final week of the season to choose a team if he wanted to (although we know that won't happen) and still play for that team in the Playoffs - now that he has been bought out.

mando6599
03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Read this and give thoughts.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4691154/should-the-cs-consider-boris-diaw

Should the C's consider Boris Diaw?

The Charlotte Bobcats and Boris Diaw have agreed to a buyout, according to the Charlotte Observer, making the soon-to-be 30-year-old center available (though early indications are he might be pegged for San Antonio). Should the Celtics consider him if he examines other options? It makes some sense as Diaw has a little bit of Kevin Garnett (his pass-first mentality) and Rasheed Wallace (his much-scrutinized conditioning) in him. Let's break it down:

* While buyout pickings are often slim, Diaw will have plenty of interest being a big man that has averaged 9.6 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 4.3 assists over nine NBA seasons. After three years as a full-time starter in Charlotte, he moved to a reserve role this season in Charlotte and his offensive production suffered because of it. Despite his talent, you'll hear more about the negatives with Diaw.

* As proof, here's John Hollinger's scouting report that harps on the conditioning issues:

Whoever wrote that French people don't get fat clearly never went to a Bobcats game. Although Diaw's conditioning has had surprisingly little effect on his game, he's clearly been living large of late. It hasn't affected his hunger for passing, however, as he led all power forwards in Pure Point Rating and assist ratio. Diaw eats up small defenders on the left block, where he has a nice right-handed jump hook shot, but the hard part is persuading him to shoot. He averaged just 13.3 points per 40 minutes, even though he's become a decent mid-range shooter that hit 44.6 percent of his long 2s last season and shot 34.5 percent on 3s. He chews up most big men off the dribble, too, with his superior ballhandling skills, but in spite of all that he finished below the league average for power forwards in usage rate. His rebounding famine is another problem. While Diaw has advantages in most respects at the power forward spot, he rebounds like a wing. His conditioning is part of the issue, plus he's not a leaper and he's a bit undersized. He was second-to-last among power forwards in rebound rate at a pathetic 9.0.

* His offensive numbers this season are truly an eyesore. Diaw grades out as poor, averaging a mere 0.716 points per play (14th percentile), according to Synergy Sports data. What's more, he grades as poor in transition, putbacks, and pick-and-roll, while also being below average in spot up and post situations (his two most frequent play types, accounting for 43.4 percent of his total offensive possessions). His offensive rating this season is a mere 89 (though 106 for his career).

* Charlotte coach Paul Silas detailed the frustrations with Diaw earlier this month. From the Observer:

“I like a player who is really committed to not only the team but to himself and then doing the best he can as a player,’’ Silas said. “Some of the things that would go on, like not shooting the ball, passing all of the time’’ were unacceptable. “I needed hoops and he could put the ball in the hoop. When that wouldn’t happen it was very disturbing. I think if he had played all out, the way he should have, it would have been a much, much better club.”

* Diaw and Rajon Rondo are ever-so slightly linked. During the summer of 2005, the Hawks traded Diaw, a 2006 first-round pick (which would later be Rondo), and a 2008 first-round pick (which would later be Robin Lopez) to the Phoenix Suns for Joe Johnson. The Suns drafted Rondo for Boston before a draft-night trade sent him to Boston with Brian Grant for a 2007 first-round pick (which would later be Rudy Fernandez).

Finals thought: Like every big man we've examined in this space, Diaw is flawed. But he's probably also the most talented overall (the question is simply if his next team can get that talent out of him). He's not the best rebounder and he can't run the floor -- two troubling aspets if you're the Celtics. But for a team desperate for big men, to get one with talented would be a quality haul.

timvp
03-21-2012, 09:19 AM
We know why Diaw will consider the Spurs. Here are reasons why Diaw could decide not to sign with the Spurs:

1. No guaranteed minutes. Pop isn't going to guarantee anyone minutes. For someone looking to make money on his next contract, that could be a deal breaker. What happens if a team like the Celtics guarantees him a starting spot? Can Diaw really pass that up?

2. Doesn't want to work hard. It's obvious by Diaw's conditioning woes that he's not a very hard worker. If you don't want to work hard, Pop isn't the coach to play for.

3. Not likely to sign a long-term contract. It's obvious that the Spurs are trying to clear money for the summer of 2013. That's not a good thing for someone like Diaw who will want a long-term contract this summer.

4. Wants to play small forward. Diaw may very well be tired of playing in the post. He entered the NBA as a small forward and may want to go back to that. In S.A., he wouldn't get to play small forward.

5. Offensive fit. Diaw's best years came under D'Antoni who allowed Diaw to get a huge number of touches. With the Spurs, Diaw would mostly be a spot-up shooter. Is that appetizing enough? Teams that run variations of the triangle offense or teams that rely on their bigmen to initiate the offense would more be able to allow Diaw to post gaudy stats.

TJastal
03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I think he's a very interesting player: he can do (almost) everything on a basketball floor: he can shoot the ball, pass it very well, he can dribble, has a good low post tecnique.

However, according to me he's not the kind of player we need: he would just be the umpteenth small big man in our roster (joining Bonner and Blair), and he would not add the skills we desperately need.

I would have tried to make an attempt to get Marcus Camby before the trade deadline: he's tall, a very solid rebounder and defender, can definitely give 20-25 minutes of solid defence versus Bynum/Gasol.

+1

Like you aptly mentioned, Diaw is just another turd tower who is not the optimal choice for helping the spurs beat the teams they are most likely going to have trouble with come playoff time; namely the lakers, grizzlies, and mavs.

I'd call him a slight upgrade over Bonner for playoff basketball and that's the only use I see for him. And that's even assuming his superior skillset is > than Bonner's corporate knowledge, which is debatable. Like Hollinger remarks, his PER isn't good enough to be a starter anymore. So he could be useful in a smaller role coming off the bench with either Splitter or Blair.

If nothing else, he's good insurance in case anyone gets a ding.

Nathan89
03-21-2012, 09:32 AM
If Blair or Bonner wants to get hurt then tonight is the night to do it.

Texas_Ranger
03-21-2012, 09:34 AM
1. No guaranteed minutes. Pop isn't going to guarantee anyone minutes. For someone looking to make money on his next contract, that could be a deal breaker. What happens if a team like the Celtics guarantees him a starting spot? Can Diaw really pass that up?

Don't think the Celtics will give him the starting spot. Bass is playing pretty good with KG. Hope they get Turiaf and we Diaw.

NASpurs
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Since the Celtics are the Spurs' main competition in the Diaw sweepstakes:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1061118937&srvc=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bostonherald%2Fsports%2Fbaske tball%2Fceltics+%28B

According to league sources, the Celts will make a strong push for Ryan Hollins when it is presumed he will clear waivers after being cut loose by the Cleveland Cavaliers yesterday. There could also be interest in free agent Kyrylo Fesenko, and one general manager said he believes the C’s are waiting to see if Reggie Evans is set free from the Los Angeles Clippers.

It appears that Ronny Turiaf, traded from the Washington Wizards to the Denver Nuggets last week and then released, is going to have his pick of some top contenders and is likely not going to be coming the Celtics’ way.

Sperone Italiano
03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
If Blair or Bonner wants to get hurt then tonight is the night to do it.

Until we have these two players in our rotation, we can never aspire to get to the Conf Semi

swaggerjackson
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
I am not sure Diaw wants to play the four. He is older now and has put on a ton of weight. Not calling him fat even if he shed pounds to get back to game shape I still don't think he has the lateral quckness to play the 3 full time. Plus I follow the Bobcats extensively and I haven't heard that from him in years.

Also on the issue of passivity. It certainly exists but it is overstated in Charlotte because of Silas's shoot happy offense. He is not as bad as Dantoni but he certainly never wants anyone to pass up open shots. To put it in perspective this is a guy who when he took over was asking Kwame to shoot more from midrange. See my point? Diaw will certainly pass up a shot or two that makes you scratch your head or even yell at the screen, but it won't be nearly the issue it is in Charlotte because the spurs work for the shot they want not the first one the defense gives them.

Diaw is the perfect stretch four to go next to Duncan. We will still have trouble with big teams because he is not enormous but he should fit in seamlessly into our game plan. Best case scenario is a Robert Horry type player minus the hall of fame level clutch. Diaw still has it and should be sought after heavily by the FO.

Va Spur
03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
With are NBA crazy back to back to back all in the last few weeks (are they trying to run the Spurs ragged right before the playoffs-- does any other team have that schedule that late)-- plenty of time to get Diaw/Mills/SJAX in basketball shape and Spur ready to be playoff contributors

If Presence of Diaw means less Blair/Bonner --- worth the risk. If doesn't work still have Blair/Bonner

monkeypunk
03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
So if we have the mini-mle, can we split it to acquire Turiaf and Diaw? Or does it all have to go towards one player?

Leetonidas
03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Diaw knows he can't play the 3 anymore. If he is interested in SA then I'm sure he knows his role

SenorSpur
03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
There are simply too many questions surrounding Diaw - and they're not good. I admit that he may be somewhat use to the Spurs for the balance of this season and a playoff run. However, I wouldn't count him on this team beyond this season. The Spurs can and should try and get a real big this offseason.

Bruno
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Good news. If Diaw is bought out officially today, he will be able to sign with his news team Saturday.

IMO, Spurs want him and they have even some guarantee coming from him that he will join them. Spurs and Diaw are just a great match.

tmtcsc
03-21-2012, 09:48 AM
A healthy, in-shape Diaw would be an intriguing addition to the Spurs. However, I'm not sure the FO is interested in pursuing him. I know that people think Tony Parker has the kind of clout to bring him in here, but if RC and Pop don't want him, its not happening.

ElNono
I think it's too late in the game for him to make an impact on this team. The other concern is that if he does get burn, he eats up Tiago's minutes.

But the major issue I have is to hand minutes to another softie after just getting rid of one. Playoff basketball is very physical. It's not the type of basketball that lazy people want to play.

Boris, much like Bonner, is a big that doesn't want to be one. His game is pass-first and he feels more comfortable away from the basket.

TJastal
There are simply too many questions surrounding Diaw - and they're not good. I admit that he may be somewhat use to the Spurs for the balance of this season and a playoff run. However, I wouldn't count him on this team beyond this season. The Spurs can and should try and get a real big this offseason.

Lorbek should be the target.

MaNu4Tres
Would rather have Pop start playing Splitter 28-32 MPG-- that would be the best addition the Spurs can make.

tmtcsc
03-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Good news. If Diaw is bought out officially today, he will be able to sign with his news team Saturday.

IMO, Spurs want him and they have even some guarantee coming from him that he will join them. Spurs and Diaw are just a great match.

He needs to sign by Friday to make the playoff roster doesn't he ?

Chachachango
03-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Por favor Diosito, make this happen.

ElNono
03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Would rather have Pop start playing Splitter 28-32 MPG-- that would be the best addition the Spurs can make.

Agree.

yavozerb
03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I think it's too late in the game for him to make an impact on this team. The other concern is that if he does get burn, he eats up Tiago's minutes.

But the major issue I have is to hand minutes to another softie after just getting rid of one. Playoff basketball is very physical. It's not the type of basketball that lazy people want to play.

Boris, much like Bonner, is a big that doesn't want to be one. His game is pass-first and he feels more comfortable away from the basket.

Disagree..Tiago is the only other inside presence for the the spurs besides TD and I believe it is blairs minutes who will falter if Diaw is signed. I have no problem if he signs with the spurs cause this will address the big man depth problem which seems to be one of the few weakness with spurs currently.

Leetonidas
03-21-2012, 09:52 AM

Boris is not a center, he should not be taking minutes from Tiago. I know Pop likes to pair the turd towers together but it's been less frequent this season. I think Pop knows Tiago has earned his spot in the rotation and isn't going to put a 6'9" PF ahead of him...but then again, it's Pop, so who knows :lol

stéphane
03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
2. Doesn't want to work hard. It's obvious by Diaw's conditioning woes that he's not a very hard worker. If you don't want to work hard, Pop isn't the coach to play for.

I wouldn't be so sure. See Jackson Stephen. When you're not motivated...

3. Not likely to sign a long-term contract. It's obvious that the Spurs are trying to clear money for the summer of 2013. That's not a good thing for someone like Diaw who will want a long-term contract this summer.

He's absolutely not in the right position at the moment to negotiate a good contract. Thus making the best choice going forward is crucial for him.
As it stands, Boris is not a player of the future. He has now to be a complimentary player who has to prove he can mesh well with a good core like we have.

4. Wants to play small forward. Diaw may very well be tired of playing in the post. He entered the NBA as a small forward and may want to go back to that. In S.A., he wouldn't get to play small forward.

Hu, you really meant it? :nope

NASpurs
03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
I agree that Splitter should get more burn but the Spurs are really thin in the front court and there's slim pickings when it comes to fortifying their front court depth.

If Diaw comes, I would hope that means less minutes for Playoff Bonner.

Bruno
03-21-2012, 09:55 AM
He needs to sign by Friday to make the playoff roster doesn't he ?

Nope, he needs to be waived by Friday. The deadline isn't about signing with a newt team, it's about being waived by a team. Diaw will still be playoffs eligible even if he signs in a couple of weeks with his new team.

Va Spur
Diaw would play alongside TD and Splitter not in place of them

Pop is not going to play TD and Splitter together much-- that's clear. Perhaps in POs against Memphis/LA he will be forced. clearly that is out the ordinary for his rotation-- he could be doing it now.

Arc
blair is the one who needs less minutes. preferably none. we can't have dejuan "MVP maker" blair on the court.

Mugen
03-21-2012, 09:56 AM
i think there's a greater chance of Boris having an impact this season than Pop playing Tiago 25+ mins. I wish he'd play Tiago more but Pop has shown no indication he'd do that even against big teams like the Grizz/Lakers.

This team needs a legit 3rd big very badly to take away mins from Blair or Bonner. Diaw and his skillset has the best chance of doing so out of anybody available.

ElNono
03-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Disagree..Tiago is the only other inside presence for the the spurs besides TD and I believe it is blairs minutes who will falter if Diaw is signed. I have no problem if he signs with the spurs cause this will address the big man depth problem which seems to be one of the few weakness with spurs currently.

Boris is not a center, he should not be taking minutes from Tiago. I know Pop likes to pair the turd towers together but it's been less frequent this season. I think Pop knows Tiago has earned his spot in the rotation and isn't going to put a 6'9" PF ahead of him...but then again, it's Pop, so who knows :lol

Come playoff time, Tim's minutes won't be limited anymore. Getting his customary 35-37 mins, that leave about 10 for Tiago, and that's provided he doesn't want to run micro-ball, something he did do last playoffs.

That leaves Tim playing a lot, and you know Pop loves his stretch 4. So I see a lot of minutes for Bonner/Diaw, and the losers will be Tiago/Blair.

JMO.

timvp
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
My last post was playing devil's advocate. Everything points to Diaw being a good fit -- both on the court and in terms of being best friends with Parker. But if Diaw decides to sign with another team, it will be for one of those five reasons. I'm not saying those five reasons are necessarily legit, especially since I think he's going to end up signing with the Spurs.

Think of it as my way to soften the blow of the forthcoming ST meltdown if Diaw doesn't sign . . .

mountainballer
03-21-2012, 10:02 AM
ok, Diaw would find himself as the #3 in the Celtics FC rotation by default, what means about 25 MPG.
in SA he could grab the #3 spot as well, but he might still only get the #5 spot and end up with 10 MPG.
if he plays for his next NBA contract, he would be smart to choose the Celtics. (and his agent doesn't have any relations to the Spurs, as far as I can tell)

if his focus is on the 2012 olympics, he will prefer the Spurs. extra practice time with Tony and even only 10MPG alongside him are still a lot, when thinking about the preparation effect for the Olympics. playing some months with the Spurs alongside Tony might result in a more important role with the national team this summer.
I assume he puts quite some pride in the National team and the 2012 Olympics will be the biggest stage he will ever see with team France, so this point might become the deal maker.

HarlemHeat37
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Pop isn't foolish enough to run Diaw/Bonner lineups, or at least I hope not..

A healthy and motivated Diaw is a legit #3 big man..he'll provide offensive versatility and he's not a defensive liability, which is quite the contrast from Dejuan Blair, one of the worst defensive bigs I've ever seen..

If Diaw is taking Blair's minutes, and some of Bonner's(when he's inevitably struggling in the playoffs..they're both stretch 4s, so Pop would finally have a good backup option), then it's a good signing that the Spurs must make..

I can't envision Diaw taking Splitter's minutes, they're completely different players..

1. Duncan
2. Splitter
3. Healthy, motivated Diaw
4. Bonner

That's a sufficient rotation for a title run IMO, assuming(and hoping) the rotation ultimately molds into the order above..

JRHernandez88
03-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Do yal really think pop and them our going after guys like this? I don't.

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
@NBAFantasy

Maybe he already knows a team will get him off waivers, but I find that highly unlikely.

One thing to remember is that nobody gets bought out for the fun of it. Might as well enforce your contract and be paid doing nothing. So I'm quite sure he already knows where he is going (assuming he clears waivers), for how much, etc.

Only need to be waived by Friday. So it's all good.

We know why Diaw will consider the Spurs. Here are reasons why Diaw could decide not to sign with the Spurs:

1. No guaranteed minutes.

Quite sure Diaw doesn't care at all about that.

2. Doesn't want to work hard.

Compare "tanking Bobcats" Diaw and "playing for a contract with the Suns" Diaw. Effort is relative. Plus it's hard to berate a player for not doing much on a team in obvious tanking mode.

3. Not likely to sign a long-term contract.

That's a legit issue. But he must see that his best years are past him, and that actually signing a long contract for $9 million a year was already better than anything he might have envisioned. At this stage I can only think it's not about money.

4. Wants to play small forward.

Don't think so. He wants to go to the Olympics first and foremost, and (although I'm not 100% sure) I think if he's going to go, it's as a 4 (no way he competes with e.g. Batum for a spot at 3).

5. Offensive fit.

Not sure how well he would do as a spot-up shooter. I actually don't think we'll ever know anyway, since he's more likely to make the extra pass even when wide open. He'll probably be taking long 2s and getting a few touches at the rim.

And I'm not sure about you say re: d'Antoni giving him a lot of touches. One thing that stay constant with Diaw is coaches wishing he would shoot more, including d'Antoni. He's just not a shooter at heart, which is all good since that's not what the Spurs need (we got SJax already :lol). I think what d'Antoni liked was to have a big who played like a big with superior ballhandling skills.

In short, he could solve a lot of the current issues we have at 4. There's no question about that in my mind.

Mugen
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Do yal really think pop and them our going after guys like this? I don't.

They signed Drew Gooden after a buyout and he was a much worse defender and had been on several different teams before.

Jax was a problem child in MIL and the Spurs still took em back.

Diaw is the type of player that i think the FO is willing to take a risk for.

Texas_Ranger
03-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Diaw would play alongside TD and Splitter not in place of them

Pop is not going to play TD and Splitter together much-- that's clear. Perhaps in POs against Memphis/LA he will be forced. clearly that is out the ordinary for his rotation-- he could be doing it now.

Don't think Pop would play Diaw at SF... We are stacked at that position with Jax, who is just as big as Diaw and Leonard. Green can also play it, so Tim, another big and Diaw at the same time would really surprise me. I think Diaw would steal minutes from Blair which would be great.

Mugen
03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
if he does sign, i'd personally love a starting lineup

of TP/Kawhi/Jax/Diaw/Timmy

with Neal/Manu/Green/Blair/Splitter off the bench

i know this is only possible in my dream scenario of Bonner being injured and out for the year. But the team above is a legit contender.

tmtcsc
03-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Nope, he needs to be waived by Friday. The deadline isn't about signing with a newt team, it's about being waived by a team. Diaw will still be playoffs eligible even if he signs in a couple of weeks with his new team.

Thanks.

Dex
03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Only need to be waived by Friday. So it's all good.

Thanks; good to know!

DesignatedT
03-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Tony Manu Leonard Diaw Duncan
Neal Green Jax Bonner Splitter

Jax plays the 6th man role and also allows him to look for his shot a lot more with the 2nd unit. Both these units have a nice balance of Offense and Defense.

Mal
03-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Diaw will get his money in offseason only if he shows that he is fit and ready. Money depends of his form , not contibution in last month of previous season. Minutes played shouldnt count. If he shows that he could be useful in 10-15 minutes with Spurs, you could asume that he will be useful with new team for longer that, if he is in shape.

And he wont sign anything close or similar to deal that he had.

Spurs give him chance to preper for olympics and to chase a ring with his french buddy.

vy65
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
The Charlotte Bobcats and Boris Diaw have reached a buyout agreement, making the versatile forward a free agent. This is good news for those who embrace versatility's literal meaning, because Boris can come to you in several shapes and sizes, with different levels of motivation, declining to make an impact or completely taking over the game in a positive way. He can be brilliant, and he can be terrible. He can help your team, or absolutely waste its time. He could be in shape, or maddeningly portly. He's versatile.

Charlotte Observer reporter Rick Bonnell first reported the news on Tuesday morning, but this has been in the offing for two weeks, especially after Bonnell quoted Bobcats coach Paul Silas' infamous description of Diaw after his removal from Charlotte's active (a loose definition, to be sure) roster on March 7th:

"I like a player who is really committed to not only the team but to himself and then doing the best he can as a player,'' Silas said. "Some of the things that would go on, like not shooting the ball, passing all of the time."

The popular perception by those who are really looking forward to college basketball on Thursday night is that the NBA is a league full of players who are shooting "all the time," and not passing the ball; so Diaw's unique take on the pro game would seem to be a breath of fresh air. The problem with this is that, since being drafted by the Atlanta Hawks in 2003, Diaw has made an unfortunate career of passing up shot after shot; completely frustrating both fans and teammates with his refusal to utilize his profound gifts as a low post scorer.

The guy's a great passer, always has been, and it says a lot about Diaw's commitment to craft that he was originally thought of as a Grant Hill-type point forward before thickening up and becoming a low post threat. Heading into the post and using guile and wily ways is a typical career arc for most NBA players as their ages advance, but this dude's only 29. Come on. He's been the old guy in the post at the pickup game since before he was legally allowed to rent a car.

His career has been one big taunt. We'd get just enough taste to keep us going -- a nice touch dish as a Hawk, a couple of rolling hooks in Charlotte, his brilliant 2005-06 campaign with the Phoenix Suns -- and it would be enough to keep us coming back. Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated pointed out on Wednesday morning that Diaw attempts one free throw for every 36 minutes of basketball he plays (one!), and yet you're considering it. You're a fan of 29 other NBA teams, and you're wondering if your team couldn't use that help up front, and someone to hit cutters.

Diaw will hit your cutters. He can't help it, despite his attempts at remaining completely anonymous. Even on Charlotte's 30th-ranked offense (perhaps better known as The Worst Offense You've Ever Seen) over a quarter of the possessions Diaw used up ended in an assist for the center. That would leave you enthused until you remember his 41 percent shooting, or the fact that the guy that doesn't shoot enough somehow still shoots too many three-pointers.

It's maddening. Diaw's 2005-06 campaign was one of the more enjoyable runs (he did run, back then) we've had as a fan of NBA big men. His quick hits and work in the post kept the Suns in championship contention despite playing almost an entire season without Amar'e Stoudemire in Stoudemire's prime years. Not only did Diaw make himself a threat, but he established that he could work with someone else (in this case, Steve Nash) dominating the ball. When the play breaks down, dump it in to Diaw and cut. See what happens. Get your hands ready.

We're six years removed from these nice things, and Diaw has let it all go to waste. At 29 he should be utilizing nearly a decade's worth of NBA know-how and a body that should still be in peak form, and yet one of the worst teams in NBA history wants absolutely nothing to do with him.

Nine years in, and it's clear that this is the Diaw we should come to expect. He might still provide those exhilarating hiccups, especially for whatever team he chooses to play for as 2011-12 winds down (the San Antonio Spurs, with close friend Tony Parker running the offense, appear to be the early leader), but Boris Diaw has spent 80 percent of his career betraying his gifts. By this time, there's no point in expecting anything else.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/newly-bought-boris-diaw-available-disappoint-favorite-team-140231073.html

Streakyshooter08
03-21-2012, 10:25 AM
@Bruno: The "tweet" says, that he could be with a new team by the end of the day. Could that be the case? I thought he has to clear wavers first. (48 hours)

P.S. I understand that it does not matter when he will be signed. I was just wondering how he could be with a new team that quickly.

mountainballer
03-21-2012, 10:26 AM
That's a legit issue. But he must see that his best years are past him, and that actually signing a long contract for $9 million a year was already better than anything he might have envisioned. At this stage I can only think it's not about money.

can't agree about this point. whenever Spurs fans find out that the team isn't in a great position when it comes to signing a FA, they point at the money this player already put in his pockets and that the player should be satisfied with what he already got. how often does it work out like this?
if Diaw doesn't choose the Spurs, it will be because of of his future contract options. (and there is an agent as well and be sure this man does care about Diaw's next contract numbers).
btw. at 29 he still could land a nice long term contract (like full MLE for 4 years), if he shows he still has a bit of the Phoenix version Diaw left.

Russ
03-21-2012, 10:26 AM
If Diaw thinks he can gravy-train TP to future riches, I bet he'll be here.:flag:

I got a good feeling about him (and have ever since he was a FA).

That is always a bad sign. :lol

Bruno
03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
@Bruno: The "tweet" says, that he could be with a new team by the end of the day. Could that be the case? I thought he has to clear wavers first. (48 hours)

No, he can't sign today. As you said, he must clear waivers first.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I don't get why people are apprehensive about Diaw in some cases. He may be out of shape, but ANYTHING is a step up over Bonner/Blair. It just happens automatically.

We kept talking about addition by subtraction when we got rid of RJ, well now we can get more of that by limiting Bonner/Blair's minutes.

Diaw literally can't play any worse than they do.

I think with Diaw being in a contract year (even if his true focus is probably on the olympics) he should try to play hard to showcase himself for a new contract.

tmtcsc
03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
My last post was playing devil's advocate. Everything points to Diaw being a good fit -- both on the court and in terms of being best friends with Parker. But if Diaw decides to sign with another team, it will be for one of those five reasons. I'm not saying those five reasons are necessarily legit, especially since I think he's going to end up signing with the Spurs.

Think of it as my way to soften the blow of the forthcoming ST meltdown if Diaw doesn't sign . . .

Diaw is just as capable of giving you 10 assists as he is ten rebounds. He's a very good passer. He's the type of player that can get the ball moving around the perimeter if things are getting stagnant.

Would we have to assign James Anderson to Austin to make room for Diaw or would Anderson just get cut at this point ?

Mugen
03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Tony Manu Leonard Diaw Duncan
Neal Green Jax Bonner Splitter

Jax plays the 6th man role and also allows him to look for his shot a lot more with the 2nd unit. Both these units have a nice balance of Offense and Defense.

Manu should come off the bench. Jax is a good passer but he doesn't run the PnR as well as Tony or Manu and both Splitter/Bonner benefit more from Manu's playmaking off the PnR (unless it's the playoffs, then only Splitter would)

It also allows Pop to better manage his minutes.

DisAsTerBot
03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
im not sure anyone in here has seen diaw since his phoenix days. Dude is LAZY and undersized. No thanks

lurker23
03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Would we have to assign James Anderson to Austin to make room for Diaw or would Anderson just get cut at this point ?

Sending players to Austin doesn't open up any roster spots. That being said, the Spurs have open roster spots, and won't have to cut anyone.

NASpurs
03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
im not sure anyone in here has seen diaw since his phoenix days. Dude is LAZY and undersized. No thanks

So is Blair yet Diaw is still better than him.

ace3g
03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
now we really need Diaw:

Mike Monroe ‏ @Monroe_SA

Close

Matt Bonner (back spasms) won't play for #Spurs vs. T-Wolves tonight

Texas_Ranger
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
we have just 12 guys on our roster. Dawson will be sent back to Austin in 5 days, so with Mills and Diaw we would have 13 guys on the roster and Anderson would just be inactive.

DesignatedT
Manu should come off the bench. Jax is a good passer but he doesn't run the PnR as well as Tony or Manu and both Splitter/Bonner benefit more from Manu's playmaking off the PnR (unless it's the playoffs, then only Splitter would)

It also allows Pop to better manage his minutes.

Once the playoffs start either Manu or Tony should be in the games at all times lol Especially with Neal being our backup PG.

Sub Manu out at the 6 minute mark and sub him back in for tony at the 2 minute mark or something like that. and so on.

lurker23
Anderson could, however, be placed on the inactive list if both Diaw and Mills are signed. The 12-man active roster would likely be:

Parker
Mills

Ginobili
Neal
Green

Jackson
Leonard

Duncan
Diaw

Splitter
Blair
Bonner

stéphane
03-21-2012, 10:40 AM

As if bball is all about athleticism.
And lazy? Come on being passive and lazy are two different things.

Texas_Ranger
now we really need Diaw:

Mike Monroe ‏ @Monroe_SA

Close

against Love and Pekovič that is a problem...:bang

timtonymanu
I myself still think Diaw is a mysterious player. Not sure which Diaw will show up but I rather go with him than have Blair/Bonner as the 3rd and 4th big.

I don't know how he's relationship with Jack is but I hope that's another factor that works in our favor.

Streakyshooter08
03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
No, he can't sign today. As you said, he must clear waivers first.

Thanks. :tu

ceperez
03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I haven't seen him since his Phoenix days...

but... considering his versatility and size...

definitely better option than Bonner or Blair.

DisAsTerBot
03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
So is Blair yet Diaw is still better than him.

the only stat diaw has on blair is assists. His rebounding per 36 is half of what blair's is. So is he just theoretically better than blair? Are assists what we need from the 4 spot?

DisAsTerBot
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
I haven't seen him since his Phoenix days...

but... considering his versatility and size...

definitely better option than Bonner or Blair.

he's 6'8", undersized for a pf

ceperez
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
he's 6'8", undersized for a pf

Yup. So is Bonner and Blair!

NASpurs
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
the only stat diaw has on blair is assists. His rebounding per 36 is half of what blair's is. So is he just theoretically better than blair? Are assists what we need from the 4 spot?

He also stretches the floor. He's unmotivated playing in that shithole of Charlotte so his stats look worse than being an actual representation of his skills. What's Blair excuse?

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 10:46 AM

There's this thing called watching games, too. Name a player in the NBA that Blair can actually defend.

crc21209
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
now we really need Diaw:

Mike Monroe ‏ @Monroe_SA

Close

So we're left with TD, Blair, and Splitter against Minnesota? Wow....Love is going to go for 40-20 tonight...:td. Go get Diaw TP!

Bruno
03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Anderson could, however, be placed on the inactive list if both Diaw and Mills are signed. The 12-man active roster would likely be:

NBA has now 13 men active roster. If both Mills and Diaw are signed Spurs will carry 14 players. Joseph should be the one who won't suit up.

Speaking of change of rules, it looks like the 2 working days rule for the waivers is done. It's now just 2 days.

DisAsTerBot
03-21-2012, 10:50 AM
He also stretches the floor. He's unmotivated playing in that shithole of Charlotte so his stats look worse than being an actual representation of his skills. What's Blair excuse?

im talking career stats, not just charlotte. He's a career 32% three point shooter, not exactly a sniper. He's been unmotivated since he got paid. He's got talent just hasn't utilized it in 9 NBA seasons

Hoops Czar
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
So we're left with TD, Blair, and Splitter against Minnesota? Wow....Love is going to go for 40-20 tonight...:td. Go get Diaw TP!

Like Bonner on the court is going to have an impact on Love's numbers.

DisAsTerBot
03-21-2012, 10:53 AM
There's this thing called watching games, too. Name a player in the NBA that Blair can actually defend.

i dont miss games.

have you seen diaw gaurd the post? this isnt an upgrade post defense wise

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Actually, yes. Love would be better with Bonner on the court.

loveforthegame
03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
He cannot do worse than Blair and Bonner. It's just not possible.

He's not going to light the world on fire and it's not like we can be real picky here either. There's not many options available and we're hurting for some size and bodies up front. Especially heading down the stretch and into the playoffs.

He's not the big we've been hoping for but I think he can help. It's the best we can do with what's available right now.

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
have you seen diaw gaurd the post? this isnt an upgrade post defense wise

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJsxCepHEZ_isTp_XWekXkvxShr_GKO BgzXqhVeznIUGJsaH5fdSAesJ_fRQ

monkeypunk
03-21-2012, 10:58 AM

We need playmakers. Our defense isnt good enough to create offense anymore so when our offense goes stagnant, it really crashes and burns.

Especially considering that Mills doesn't appear to be a pass first guard either, we need the assists.

Hopefully, Diaw recovers his post scoring touch under Pop's and TP's guidance...

TimmehC
03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
against Love and Pekovič that is a problem...:bang

Not any more of a problem than those two would be if we had Bonner.

lurker23
03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
NBA has now 13 men active roster. If both Mills and Diaw are signed Spurs will carry 14 players. Joseph should be the one who won't suit up.

Thanks, I knew it had been temporarily that way, but somehow the permanence of it slipped through my news filter. Good to know. :tu

crc21209
03-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Hey, every body counts. 6 fouls, son....

Darius Bieber
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't get all this hype about signing a bought out player. Frankly, I don't really like it. If I recall correctly, the last time we had all this buzz about a buy out (Drew Gooden) we cut a very athletic and entertaining player to watch, Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Gooden left before the beginning of the next season.

Although we don't need to make any space for Diaw, I don't know how much of a difference Diaw would make this season.

Leetonidas
03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu

:lmao

Obstructed_View
03-21-2012, 11:15 AM

If Diaw doesn't sign with the Spurs it will be for one of the following five reasons:

The Heat
The Heat
The Heat
The Heat
The Heat

SenorSpur
03-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Diaw still scares me because the issues outlined in your post were strikingly similar to some of the same whispers heard about him when he was in Phoenix. Let's also not forget that, at that time, the Suns were a perennial playoff team.

I believe the Parker connection cannot be diminished and perhaps Boris needs that "extra" motivation. However, it's a little disconcerting to know that a pro athlete requires additional prodding and must be coaxed into finding the motivation to do whatever is necessary to help his team be successful.

thispego
03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't get why people are apprehensive about Diaw in some cases. He may be out of shape, but ANYTHING is a step up over Bonner/Blair. It just happens automatically.

We kept talking about addition by subtraction when we got rid of RJ, well now we can get more of that by limiting Bonner/Blair's minutes.

Diaw literally can't play any worse than they do.

I think with Diaw being in a contract year (even if his true focus is probably on the olympics) he should try to play hard to showcase himself for a new contract.

:rolleyes

Russ
03-21-2012, 11:38 AM

Not much to spasm there.

03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
there is no risk here and the reward is pretty decent. at the very least diaw eats up some salary while sitting on the bench being parker's best bud. at the very most, diaw can become a starting center, or at least close out games next to duncan while playing solid defense. it's not like diaw will be taking minutes away from bright, young bigs on the spurs. he will be taking minutes from fringe role players like bonner and bench bigs like blair.

G-Dawgg
03-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Who cares about Boris Diaw..we already have Dejuan's big, burger-eating ass on this team...we don't need Diaw's fat ass too...

anonoftheinternets
03-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Diaw highlights from NY game.. pretty slick ..

9vnL0CkKlY8

anonoftheinternets
03-21-2012, 11:50 AM
oh and his skill set is nothing like blairs ... which is good, adds a different dimension to the offense...

G-Dawgg
03-21-2012, 11:59 AM
..yeah, he's got some pretty nice skills for a tub of lard that looks like he can barely waddle his way around the court....

Bruno
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
It's now official:
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/release_diaw_120321.html

Spursfanfromafar
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
It's now official:
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/release_diaw_120321.html

Is it me or has the Bobcats put this picture of Diaw to spite him? I dont think he looks as fat as he does in that pic, now.

TJastal
03-21-2012, 12:05 PM

9vnL0CkKlY8

After seeing this, do people actually think Diaw will play better defense than Bonner or Blair? At least Bonner puts his arms up in the air and presents a mild distraction to the would be dunker.

Bruno
03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Is it me or has the Bobcats put this picture of Diaw to spite him? I dont think he looks as fat as he does in that pic, now.

Well, I guess it's a picture from earlier this season when he way way out of shape.

He surely looks less worst now:
http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/6b/fullj.309df76a2b02bf9d4c0a37488d626f6d/ap-201203122018730839987.jpg

DisAsTerBot
03-21-2012, 12:09 PM

lol, why is he on the banner!?!?! best guy on the worst team bought out, what a commodity!

dbestpro
03-21-2012, 12:12 PM
The best case scenario. We sign Diaw and he plays well enough to the point where they move Bonner in the offseason for a player that replaces Blair.

HeroSquad
03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
While I'm all for signing Diaw, have the Spurs officially closed the book on the "defense first" approach that characterized the championship teams? It seems to me that despite their best efforts to address the issue (i.e. Kawhi Leonard), the Spurs seem to rely more and more on offense to make up for an average defense. I look at the Bulls this year and can't help but really like them because they are so similarly built to the Spurs of yore.

Hoops Czar
03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
While I'm all for signing Diaw, have the Spurs officially closed the book on the "defense first" approach that characterized the championship teams? It seems to me that despite their best efforts to address the issue (i.e. Kawhi Leonard), the Spurs seem to rely more and more on offense to make up for an average defense. I look at the Bulls this year and can't help but really like them because they are so similarly built to the Spurs of yore.

Can't make lemonade w/o lemons.

dbestpro
03-21-2012, 12:19 PM
While I'm all for signing Diaw, have the Spurs officially closed the book on the "defense first" approach that characterized the championship teams?

We need better rim protection for the Spurs to be able to focus on defense. With Blair or Bonner on the floor at any one time there is no rim protection. As a result the perimeter defenders must play off the shooters.

With good interior defense we can crowd the shooters. There is no need to discuss defense and the Spurs as long as Blair and Bonner are both on the team and receiving significant minutes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Don't think the Celtics will give him the starting spot. Bass is playing pretty good with KG. Hope they get Turiaf and we Diaw.

Not necessarily the starting spot, but since O'Neal and Wilcox are out for the season, he would definitely get his minutes.

Sense
03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
After seeing this, do people actually think Diaw will play better defense than Bonner or Blair? At least Bonner puts his arms up in the air and presents a mild distraction to the would be dunker.

Diaw has never been coached defense, IMO.. how was Bonner before he came to the Spurs? Not to say he's a good defender, but there's no way he was better than Diaw.

It's like Ford said, this was the first time in his career that he felt coached.

MoSpur
03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I'd rather have Turiaf than Diaw, but Turiaf's health issues concern me. We don't need to Manu Ginobilis.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-21-2012, 12:22 PM

They're just working with what they can get. Lock down players just aren't waived or made available to the Spurs advantage. This offseason will show more of what they believe in now.

Kuestmaster
03-21-2012, 12:24 PM
@WojYahooNBA

Free agent Ronny Turiaf is finalizing an agreement with the Miami Heat today, league sources tell Y! Sports.

So it's Diaw or... Diaw

HeroSquad
03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
I totally agree that the next two years will reveal which way the Spurs go in the post-Duncan era. Let's just hope they hit a defensive hot streak in the playoffs this year and make one more run.

Mugen
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
who can offer more: Spurs or Celtics?

HarlemHeat37
03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Again, Diaw is not a defensive liability..

He won't be confused for a good defender, but he's not a liability, either..Blair is a huge defensive liability..it's an upgrade, on basketball IQ alone, which will lead to less defensive mistakes..

Also, less Blair could mean more Splitter, which results in much better defensive results..

Also, concerning Diaw, he was one of only 2 players on the Bobcats roster that posted a positive adj. +/-(flawed stat, but sometimes useful)..

MoSpur
03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I think the Spurs can offer more because the trade exception and sending TJ Ford in that trade. I could be wrong.

sinok
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I think the Spurs can offer more because the trade exception and sending TJ Ford in that trade. I could be wrong.
You are wrong, there is no trade here...
Furthermore, TJ Ford's contract has already been sent to the Warriors in the Jackson trade.

HarlemHeat37
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
:lol I love how the skeptics are ignoring the fact that this is a low-risk move..the Spurs don't have any other options here..they need to take risks..there's no reward with Blair and I doubt Bonner will magically find a playoff stroke..

There aren't any other options..Dwight Howard isn't currently a free agent that will sign with the Spurs for the MLE..

You can't sign a younger player, because Pop won't put him in the rotation, at this point of the season..

This is the only move to make..

benefactor
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
:lol I love how the skeptics are ignoring the fact that this is a low-risk move..the Spurs don't have any other options here..they need to take risks..there's no reward with Blair and I doubt Bonner will magically find a playoff stroke..

There aren't any other options..Dwight Howard isn't currently a free agent that will sign with the Spurs for the MLE..
I was just about to post something similar to this.

:cryDiaw sucks. Why can't the Spurs just pull a defensive 7ft big off the defensive 7ft big tree?:cry

HeroSquad
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I really think Diaw's skillset is severely underrated. This guy, under the right conditions, can really add another offensive dimension to the team other than just the pick and roll. Granted he isn't engaged all the time, and this could very well amount to zero at the end of the day; but like people have said, it's a low risk move at this point. At the very least, he's better than Blair from day one, despite Blair having 2+ yrs. in the system.

The ADMIRAL 50
03-21-2012, 12:41 PM

:lol

Mal
03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I was just about to post something similar to this.

:cryDiaw sucks. Why can't the Spurs just pull a defensive 7ft big off the defensive 7ft big tree?:cry

Who exactly ? Kaman wont be waived. Who left ? Ryan Hollins :lmao

moisaenz
03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Can Diaw talk to teams while he clears waivers???

jag
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Well, I guess it's a picture from earlier this season when he way way out of shape.

He surely looks less worst now:
http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/6b/fullj.309df76a2b02bf9d4c0a37488d626f6d/ap-201203122018730839987.jpg

His weight fluctuates quite a bit. Maybe he can manage to drop a few and get down closer to his "prime" weight by playoff time:

http://bobcatsbaseline.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/boris_dirty.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDpR6CkK1XcAsV_2MyETa6xjjCpGW7E gBhfuw6K0_x5jFRMZINaS7oYjft

MoSpur
03-21-2012, 12:53 PM
You are wrong, there is no trade here...
Furthermore, TJ Ford's contract has already been sent to the Warriors in the Jackson trade.

That's what I was talking about. The Spurs have a trade exemption and have traded Ford, which gives them more money.

tmtcsc
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Signing Diaw would be a low risk move by the FO. It makes sense to do it. What are the negatives ?

Someone gets peeved that their losing minutes to him ? If you don't produce, you sit. Blair ate pine during the 1st round of the playoffs for his antics. Nice lesson to bust ass on the court or sit.

crc21209
03-21-2012, 12:58 PM
So Turiaf is going to the Heat huh? Pretty good move for them getting a defending, enforcer type of player. Spurs need to land Diaw, at least we know he doesnt shrink under the bright lights of the playoffs like Blair and Bonner have.....

mathbzh
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
One thing could be important. Diaw is a smart player and proved he can adapt to a new role really fast.

When he was traded to Charlotte he played heavy minutes from day one... and the Bobcats started winning games.

Moreover, he already has some chemistry with Parker.

Finally, he is one of very few available players who can take over a game in the playoffs.
Does anybody expect Bonner to win us a playoffs game? With Diaw it is likely to happen

As fat and passive as Diaw is he would be a great addition.

Mal
03-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Turiaf isnt good defender. He is just hustling guy with 6 fouls to give.

Mal
Turiaf isnt good defender. He is just hustling guy with 6 fouls to give.

mountainballer

sometimes it seems as if some people still think it's about a trade of Bonner or Blair for Diaw, whatsover.
if Spurs can add Diaw, they do it. no brainer.
if it turns out, that he doesn't help, they can continue to play Blair or Bonner. no brainer as well.

DAF86
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
I would rather have JJ Hickson, Turiaf or Kaman but anything is better than nothing. Besides, Diaw is the one I have more faith that Pop will play this season.

T Park
03-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Diaw isn't a wuss in the Playoffs either. He made big shots for the Suns time and time again.

HeroSquad
03-21-2012, 01:17 PM
I never understood the obsession with Hickson or Turiaf (never mind the fact that neither is an option at this point). Even if they were available, Diaw gives us the best opportunity to win now. Neither Hickson nor Turiaf is a good defender; and they are certainly below average offensively (though Hickson has shown flashes). Diaw is much more polished offensively (the guy played all five positions in Phoenix and did pretty well) and even if he isn't a defensive stalwart, the drop off isn't considerable. He gives the Spurs versatility which, short of a defensive stopper, is what the Spurs need, especially come the playoffs where the rotation is decreased to 10 or so players.

DJ Mbenga
03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
i love this guys game, even if he values a buffet more than oxygen.

DAF86
03-21-2012, 01:30 PM
I never understood the obsession with Hickson or Turiaf (never mind the fact that neither is an option at this point). Even if they were available, Diaw gives us the best opportunity to win now. Neither Hickson nor Turiaf is a good defender; and they are certainly below average offensively (though Hickson has shown flashes). Diaw is much more polished offensively (the guy played all five positions in Phoenix and did pretty well) and even if he isn't a defensive stalwart, the drop off isn't considerable. He gives the Spurs versatility which, short of a defensive stopper, is what the Spurs need, especially come the playoffs where the rotation is decreased to 10 or so players.

We don't need a polished offensive bigman, we need a bigman that provides some sort of presence on the defensive end and even if JJ and Turiaf aren't good man on man defensive players they at least make themselves note with blocks, size and rebounds, and as a plus, they have a jumpshot on the offensive end, which helps pairing them with Duncan or Splitter.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Once again, any minute you can take away from Bonner/Blair is an automatic positive for the team.

sinok
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
they have a jumpshot
You can't call that a jumpshot...

DPG21920
03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
:smokin

HeroSquad
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
We don't need a polished offensive bigman, we need a bigman that provides some sort of presence on the defensive end and even if JJ and Turiaf aren't good man on man defensive players they at least make themselves note with blocks, size and rebounds, and as a plus, they have a jumpshot on the offensive end, which helps pairing them with Duncan or Splitter.

Maybe we aren't watching the same players, because neither has a particularly reliable jumpshot at all. Sure, they're scrappy and active bodies, but that hardly translates to consistent offense (in whatever capacity). I guess my issue with Turiaf and Hickson is that I don't see them as that much of an improvement defensively. I think the pros you get with Diaw overall far outweigh even the most optimistic (and most unlikely) result you'd get with Turiaf (because let's be honest Hickson isn't gonna happen). That's just me though.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Miami taking the corpse of Turiaf is a good sign.

lefty
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Diaw isn't a wuss in the Playoffs either. He made big shots for the Suns time and time again.
Like .... once

WildcardManu
03-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Miami taking the corpse of Turiaf is a good sign.

Unless they back off at the last minute. Or is it a done deal?

T Park
03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Like .... once

Math was never your strong suit

Johnny RIngo
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM

The Spurs aren't going to transform into a defensive juggernaut overnight by adding someone like Turiaf or Hickson. Diaw's the most talented of the bunch as well as someone who's ready to contribute. If we were in rebuilding mode I'd definitely want them to look at Hickson but he's not ready to help a vet team atm. Turiaf is injury-prone and more of a 4th/5th big. Diaw's the best option by far.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Unless they back off at the last minute. Or is it a done deal?

I seem to recall the word "finalizing", but I guess that doesn't guarantee anything.

NASpurs
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Jeff McDonald's Twitter: For those asking: Yes, think it's likely Spurs at least look into Boris Diaw, now that he's out in Charlotte.

-----

Jeff with some more of his journalism that is the Express News.

DesignatedT
03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Damn Jeff, now that's some reporting right there! Genius!

timvp
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
I liked the expertly omitted pronoun by Jeff in that tweet, tbh.

FvckMavs
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the breaking news, Jeff.

Jeff McDonald's Twitter: For those asking: Yes, think it's likely Spurs at least look into Boris Diaw, now that he's out in Charlotte.

-----

Buddy Holly
03-21-2012, 01:58 PM

-----

Omg, he sucks so much and so hard.

Yesterday he had this gem:

@JMcDonald_SAEN: Yes, probably. RT @csilliker So, any word the Spurs will get Fisher, Mills, or someone else at backup PG?

Are you serious? Great insight Spurs beat writer. Dude doesn't even break the visa issue or anything. He scans real journalists twitters and then retweets it.

DesignatedT
03-21-2012, 01:59 PM
"Yes, probably." lmao

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Like .... once

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/diawbo01.html#playoffs::none

I know it's a lot of numbers for you, but take your time.

objective
03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
As someone who's had the Spurs pegged as pretending frauds for a couple of years now, I have to admit that if the Spurs signed Diaw to go with the Jackson-addition/Jefferson-subtraction . . . I think the Spurs would be contenders. Not favorites, but they'd have a shot.

DAF86
03-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Maybe we aren't watching the same players, because neither has a particularly reliable jumpshot at all. Sure, they're scrappy and active bodies, but that hardly translates to consistent offense (in whatever capacity). I guess my issue with Turiaf and Hickson is that I don't see them as that much of an improvement defensively. I think the pros you get with Diaw overall far outweigh even the most optimistic (and most unlikely) result you'd get with Turiaf (because let's be honest Hickson isn't gonna happen). That's just me though.

Richard Jefferson was also a very polished offensive player when he got to SA but the system here didn't allowed him to show that. I think the same will happen with Diaw, we don't need Boris to create anything, he will be there setting picks, shooting jumpshots and maybe rolling to the basket. Not much more. That's why I prefered a player with a more physical presence on defense but don't get me wrong I'd love to have Diaw over Blair on the Spurs.

objective
03-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Sounds like Jeff McDonald's toasted again.

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 02:05 PM
As someone who's had the Spurs pegged as pretending frauds for a couple of years now, I have to admit that if the Spurs signed Diaw to go with the Jackson-addition/Jefferson-subtraction . . . I think the Spurs would be contenders. Not favorites, but they'd have a shot.

At the very least we wouldn't be able to say that the Spurs FO has done nothing to improve.

This year only:
+Kawhi
+SJax
+Mills
+/-Ford
-Hill
-RJ
-1st round pick

And maybe Diaw. And all the moves pointing in the right direction so far.

hater
The newly bought-out Boris Diaw is available to disappoint your favorite team
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/newly-bought-boris-diaw-available-disappoint-favorite-team-140231073.html

It's maddening. Diaw's 2005-06 campaign was one of the more enjoyable runs (he did run, back then) we've had as a fan of NBA big men. His quick hits and work in the post kept the Suns in championship contention despite playing almost an entire season without Amar'e Stoudemire in Stoudemire's prime years. Not only did Diaw make himself a threat, but he established that he could work with someone else (in this case, Steve Nash) dominating the ball. When the play breaks down, dump it in to Diaw and cut. See what happens. Get your hands ready.
We're six years removed from these nice things, and Diaw has let it all go to waste. At 29 he should be utilizing nearly a decade's worth of NBA know-how and a body that should still be in peak form, and yet one of the worst teams in NBA history wants absolutely nothing to do with him.
Nine years in, and it's clear that this is the Diaw we should come to expect. He might still provide those exhilarating hiccups, especially for whatever team he chooses to play for as 2011-12 winds down (the San Antonio Spurs, with close friend Tony Parker running the offense, appear to be the early leader), but Boris Diaw has spent 80 percent of his career betraying his gifts. By this time, there's no point in expecting anything else.

buttsR4rebounding

-----

:idiot

bklynspursfan
03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @WojYahooNBA
Y! Sources: Spurs emerge as frontrunners for Boris Diaw should he clear waivers.

sonic21
03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Richard Jefferson was also a very polished offensive player when he got to SA but the system here didn't allowed him to show that. I think the same will happen with Diaw, we don't need Boris to create anything, he will be there setting picks, shooting jumpshots and maybe rolling to the basket. Not much more. That's why I prefered a player with a more physical presence on defense but don't get me wrong I'd love to have Diaw over Blair on the Spurs.

diaw is versatile and have a high BBIQ. He'll adapt. He's also not someone who will choke in the PO. I don't understand how you can prefere turiaf who is an end of the rotation player. He's been the french NT starter for years and was our biggest weakness.

hater
03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
don't get me wrong. I'd still take Diaw for "free". But I don't expect anything at all from him. To do so is a huge mistake.

He could easily be the replacement for Dick Jeff for the haters out here

Gino2882
03-21-2012, 02:11 PM
And now watch Portland claim him.

NASpurs
03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Y! Sources: Spurs emerge as frontrunners for Boris Diaw should he clear waivers.

There's a link to that tweet:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_boris_diaw_spurs_bobcats_waivers032112

The San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/) have emerged as frontrunners to sign forward Boris Diaw (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3724/) should he clear waivers, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Diaw agreed to a buyout with the Charlotte Bobcats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/cha/) on Wednesday, and needs to go unclaimed by NBA teams to become a free agent. The deadline for signing free agents to be eligible for the playoffs is Friday, which is when Diaw is expected to pass through waivers.

Diaw, 29, is a versatile, passing forward who fell out of favor with Bobcats coach Paul Silas this season. Despite starting 28 games for Charlotte, Silas was frustrated with Diaw’s unwillingness to be more aggressive in trying to score. Diaw’s fitness issues have dogged him throughout his career, but he’s still shown an ability to be a productive offensive player.

The Spurs are still waiting on work visa issues to sign Australian point guard Patty Mills (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4660/) to a contract.

San Antonio is 29-14, owners of the second-best record in the Western Conference. The Spurs trail Oklahoma City by 3.5 games for the top seed in the West.

DAF86
diaw is versatile and have a high BBIQ. He'll adapt. He's also not someone who will choke in the PO. I don't understand how you can prefere turiaf who is an end of the rotation player. He's been the french NT starter for years and was our biggest weakness.

I'm a sucker for blocked shots.

lefty
cool

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 02:13 PM
@GDWine: @JMcDonald_SAEN Just so you know RT @WojYahooNBA: Spurs emerge as frontrunners for Boris Diaw... http://tinyurl.com/73asoyy

bklynspursfan
03-21-2012, 02:13 PM
There's a link to that tweet:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_boris_diaw_spurs_bobcats_waivers032112

The San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/) have emerged as frontrunners to sign forward Boris Diaw (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3724/) should he clear waivers, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Diaw agreed to a buyout with the Charlotte Bobcats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/cha/) on Wednesday, and needs to go unclaimed by NBA teams to become a free agent. The deadline for signing free agents to be eligible for the playoffs is Friday, which is when Diaw is expected to pass through waivers.

Diaw, 29, is a versatile, passing forward who fell out of favor with Bobcats coach Paul Silas this season. Despite starting 28 games for Charlotte, Silas was frustrated with Diaw’s unwillingness to be more aggressive in trying to score. Diaw’s fitness issues have dogged him throughout his career, but he’s still shown an ability to be a productive offensive player.

The Spurs are still waiting on work visa issues to sign Australian point guard Patty Mills (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4660/) to a contract.

San Antonio is 29-14, owners of the second-best record in the Western Conference. The Spurs trail Oklahoma City by 3.5 games for the top seed in the West.

Thanks... Just saw the link. We'll see what happens if someone claims him.

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 02:14 PM
The deadline for signing free agents to be eligible for the playoffs is Friday, which is when Diaw is expected to pass through waivers.

Weird.

DJB

9vnL0CkKlY8

Not a great example. Anyone looks good playing against the Knicks.

NASpurs
@GDWine: @JMcDonald_SAEN Just so you know RT @WojYahooNBA: Spurs emerge as frontrunners for Boris Diaw... http://tinyurl.com/73asoyy

:lmao that dude sucks. What is Ludden doing these days anyway? Haven't seen any of his work in a while.

HeroSquad
03-21-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm a sucker for blocked shots.

Where's Fab when you need him? He would be the answer to all our problems...

DPG21920
03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
RT by Woj
:smokin

timvp
03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Damn, Woj needs to keep quiet. Last thing the Spurs need is for someone to waiver claim Diaw to block him from the Spurs. It's unlikely but not impossible.

TimmehC
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
And now watch Portland claim him.
Oh good grief. Don't give them any ideas.

mathbzh
03-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Damn, Woj needs to keep quiet. Last thing the Spurs need is for someone to waiver claim Diaw to block him from the Spurs. It's unlikely but not impossible.

who can get him? His contract is not small.

manufan10
03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Spurs are the frontrunners should Diaw clear waivers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AilbEik03b5YkSAz7DxUWdS8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_boris_diaw_spurs_bobcats_waivers032112

bklynspursfan
03-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Seriously :lol

timvp
03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Duncan
Diaw
Jackson
Ginobili
Parker

Splitter
Leonard
Neal

That'd be a rather nice eight man rotation for the playoffs :smokin

HeroSquad
03-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Duncan
Diaw
Jackson
Ginobili
Parker

Splitter
Leonard
Neal

Don't forget Danny Green! (assuming he finds some sort of consistency in his game)

urunobili
03-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Duncan
Diaw
Jackson
Ginobili
Parker

Splitter
Leonard
Neal

no Green? :wow

NASpurs
03-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Duncan
Diaw
Jackson
Ginobili
Parker

Splitter
Leonard
Neal

No Blair, Bonner and Jefferson replaced with Jackson? Yeah I'll take that.

At least I'm assuming Pop would play that lineup in the playoffs. :depressed

Bruno
03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

Great news.

If Spurs can get Diaw, they would have ad a heck of a trade deadline period. The Jackson trade was great, Mills is a nice recovery from Ford retirement and Diaw should help Spurs a lot.

The Parker to Diaw connection is sick, well, was sick:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdh9f_tp-and-boris-diaw-claquette-dunk-36_sport

timvp
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
If trimmed to eight players, I wouldn't include Green. It'd come down to Green or Leonard and I'd go with Leonard every time.

As for waivers, the only team I'm a little worried about is the Raptors. They love international players, Bryan Colangelo was the one who brought Diaw to PHX and they could use some passing. It's not likely but I wouldn't rule it out.

Bruno
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Duncan
Diaw
Jackson
Ginobili
Parker

Best passing lineup ever?

manufan10
03-21-2012, 02:32 PM
:lobt2:

DPG21920
03-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Worried Wendy ^

timvp
03-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Good point. Jackson would be the worst passer and he's an above average passer for a swingman.

Hopefully the Spurs sign him and then hopefully Pop ends the Blair experiment in time.

Chomag
03-21-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm still having a hard time understanding why so many of you are so high on this guy. He doesnt seem all the much better, or bring anything to the table that Bonner does. I understand He has much more talent then Bonner, but he seems to work much less harder as a player. Wouldnt that just balance it out?

There must be something you guys are seeing in him that I'm just not seeing. I guess anything is better then seeing Bonner, and or Blair in there.:lol

To be honest I would much rather Splitter just get more minutes, but well I dont think that will ever happen with Pop making the call.

DAF86
Duncan
Diaw
Jackson
Ginobili
Parker

Splitter
Leonard
Neal

crofl no way Pop doesn't play Bonner in the PO, let's face it. We'll get as far as Bonner takes us.

slick'81
damn i dont want to get my hopes up but this would be fantastic\\\

he heads and shoulders above bonner and blair in just basketbsll skills alone

HeroSquad
03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
I think Splitter should wear a red wig come playoff time. Maybe Pop won't notice the difference...

lefty
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/diawbo01.html#playoffs::none

I know it's a lot of numbers for you, but take your time.
lol at those shitty numbers

But thanks anyway

Chase_the_Bass
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm still having a hard time understanding why so many of you are so high on this guy. He doesnt seem all the much better, or bring anything to the table that Bonner does.

I understand He has much more talent then Bonner, but he seems to work much less harder as a player. Wouldnt that just balance it out?

There must be something you guys are seeing in him that I'm just not seeing. I guess anything is better then seeing Bonner, and or Blair in there.:lol

That way I see it is a direct comparison to Blair. They are both great passers but I give Diaw the edge in decision making. Blair is a better rebounder but Diaw can actually shoot the ball and has 4 inches on Blair.

Mugen
03-21-2012, 02:42 PM
If trimmed to eight players, I wouldn't include Green. It'd come down to Green or Leonard and I'd go with Leonard every time.

As for waivers, the only team I'm a little worried about is the Raptors. They love international players, Bryan Colangelo was the one who brought Diaw to PHX and they could use some passing. It's not likely but I wouldn't rule it out.

That's what i was thinking but i think they'd be scared off by the way Boris acted in CHA when things went downhill. Can't imagine he'd be a much better solider with the Raptors.

timvp
03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm still having a hard time understanding why so many of you are so high on this guy. He doesnt seem all the much better then Bonner. I understand He has much more talent then Bonner, but he seems to work much less harder as a player. Wouldnt that just balance it out?

There must be something you guys are seeing in him that I'm just not seeing.

Part of it is the excitement of the unknown. Unfortunately, we know that Blair just doesn't work as a starting bigman in the NBA. Most of us have also come to the conclusion that Bonner will never thrive under pressure. Diaw, if nothing else, would give the Spurs a much higher ceiling just because he's so talented and because it's difficult to figure out how well he'll fit.

Diaw might become the new Eric Dawson or Diaw might earn a starting spot and average something like 10, 6 and 3 while spreading the court and playing relatively good defense.

5in10
03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
What Kind of time period are we looking at for other teams to claim him on waivers?

Mugen
03-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Great news.

If Spurs can get Diaw, they would have ad a heck of a trade deadline period. The Jackson trade was great, Mills is a nice recovery from Ford retirement and Diaw should help Spurs a lot.

The Parker to Diaw connection is sick, well, was sick:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdh9f_tp-and-boris-diaw-claquette-dunk-36_sport

Don't know if im more shocked at Diaw's 360 or that TP passed on a fastbreak

hater
03-21-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm still having a hard time understanding why so many of you are so high on this guy. He doesnt seem all the much better, or bring anything to the table that Bonner does. I understand He has much more talent then Bonner, but he seems to work much less harder as a player. Wouldnt that just balance it out?

To be honest I would much rather Splitter just get more minutes, but well I dont think that will ever happen with Pop making the call.

:tu :tu

I think spursfan hype a guy that is about to sign all the time. Same thing happened with Strickland, Finley, Dice, Van Exel, Jax, Diaw, etc, etc

some sort of pan out, but most are busts. and all don't nearly get to the level Spursfan hypes them to be

spurs4real
03-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Another undersized F/C just what this team needs. I don't get it, and after this season if we get Diaw, we will be hearing the same chants of needing a true center all over again.

But I guess for the time being it's a no brainer and that's unfortunate.

Obstructed_View
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM
What Kind of time period are we looking at for other teams to claim him on waivers?

48 hours

Hoops Czar
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM

I think spursfan hype a guy that is about to sign all the time. Same thing happened with Strickland, Finley, Dice, Van Exel, Jax, Diaw, etc, et

Mills ect.

slick'81
03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
then again the level of bonner and blair make it easy to get excited about boris

hater

:lol not even close to
parker
manu
horry
duncan
oberto

Obstructed_View

I think spursfan hype a guy that is about to sign all the time. Same thing happened with Strickland, Finley, Dice, Van Exel, Jax, Diaw, etc, etc

some sort of pan out, but most are busts. and all don't nearly get to the level Spursfan hypes them to be

Bonner sucks. Blair sucks. Diaw might not suck.

There's your answer. Sorry that the Spurs get into situations where Finley and Van Exel and Pops Mensah Bonsu start looking attractive.

manufan10
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Another undersized F/C just what this team needs. I don't get it, and after this season if we get Diaw, we will be hearing the same chants of needing a true center all over again.

But I guess for the time being it's a no brainer and that's unfortunate.

Right now they don't really have a choice. They need to do something, and as of right now, they are trying. Anything that will limit Bonner/Blair's minutes is a good thing.

CubanMustGo
03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Bonner sucks. Blair sucks. Diaw might not suck.

There's your answer. Sorry that the Spurs get into situations where Finley and Van Exel and Pops Mensah Bonsu start looking attractive.

What, are Fin and NVE available???

Bruno
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
parker
manu
horry
duncan
oberto

Horry never played SF for Spurs.

DAF86
03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Parker, Manu, Barry, Duncan, Oberto.

slick'81
Is diaw a sure thing hell no!! hes the classic nba underachiever.Every team sees soo much in a 6'8 f with pg handles and starts to gush but he is passive,at times lazy or uninterested and gets lebron james syndrome late in games but if motivated along with playing with his best friend and pop should make it worth a shot

Bruno

Diaw will clear waivers Friday at 6pm ET.

therealtruth
03-21-2012, 02:52 PM

The reason is very simple. The Spurs needs more physical play, defense, and rebounding. Adding better offensive players is not going to help that.

hater
03-21-2012, 02:52 PM

agree too. Horry IMO made Spurs passing lethal thou

thispego
03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
if the spurs can get from parkers buddy, Diaw, what they got from manu's buddy, Oberto, then WATCH OUT. Spurs suddenly become very, very dangerous.

DesignatedT
03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
parker
manu
horry
duncan
oberto

That's cool except that this lineup never hit the floor.

Agloco
03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
That way I see it is a direct comparison to Blair. They are both great passers but I give Diaw the edge in decision making. Blair is a better rebounder but Diaw can actually shoot the ball and has 4 inches on Blair.

:wow

spurs4real
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Right now they don't really have a choice. They need to do something, and as of right now, they are trying. Anything that will limit Bonner/Blair's minutes is a good thing.

Yes this is true that's why we are in an unfortunate position in that we have to go get Diaw albeit better than Blair/Bonner for the moment, but not our answer for next year and beyond. And what I'm afraid will happen is the Spurs get stuck with another undersized F/C and not have money available to really go after a true Center after the season is over.

hater
That's cool except that this lineup never hit the floor.

my bad. remove Oberto and insert barry/finley

Bruno

I take this year Parker over the 2007 version when it come to passing. Diaw is too a better passer than Oberto.

Spur|n|Austin
03-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I've been sitting, waiting, wishing..