PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose likely out until March

Venti Quattro
07-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Report: Derrick Rose 'out until likely March' (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19638875/report-derrick-rose-out-until-likely-march)

The Chicago Tribune reports, in the midst of an in-depth analysis of whether the Bulls' moves are financially-based or basketball-driven, that Derrick Rose is "out until likely March."

Kaboom.

Reports in May had targeted an early January return for Rose, but March is more consistent with the tentative-12-months prognosis often given to ACL injuries. There's no way to be sure, though. Rose could bust through rehab and make it back by January. He could have setbacks and miss the entire year. It's a long and difficult process with steps along the way, but all of them have to go right for him to hit the optimistic end. And updated projection two months later of March is not a good sign.

Rose being out until March would spell doom for the Bulls' season. They might be able to maintain their pace they did last season, even after losing several key bench contributors, but there's no way Rose is back to anything close to himself by the time the playoffs roll around in mid-April. That puts the Bulls' chances at a title in the "not great under any conceivable scenario" category. And without Rose, if things don't go as swimmingly with the new cast of characters as they did last season, the Bulls could wind up on the outside of the playoffs, a stunning fall from their No.1 seeding in the East two years in a row.

But it's still early. There's a good chance Rose can get back on track, and make January or at least split the difference and return after the All-Star break. Two months to find his rhythm is much better than six weeks before the playoffs and things might be salvageable. But the longer this thing goes, the more the temptation will be to shut Rose down for the entire year. If that happens, this year doesn't even exist for Bulls fans.

Things can change just that quickly.
Holy shit. He will never, ever be the same.

Venti Quattro
07-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Should the Bulls just super-tank now? That's really not a bad option, although they're going to lose a year due to that. But they have no better options anyway.

jeebus
07-26-2012, 09:34 PM
:lmao

mavs>spurs
07-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Holy shit. He will never, ever be the same.

i knew that the moment it happened. there are 2 extremes of player types, with a mixture of combinations of the 2 in between. there are those guys like duncan who are fundamentally sound. they have the size for their positions, and all the skills necessary to be sustainable. then there are those guys like griffin, rose, who are fundamentally flawed and rely on exceptional athleticism. even when rose improved his jumper, it still isn't fluid or quick of a release. it looks like he's got a hitch in it. and he has to rely on his athleticism to get his shots off, he never gets anything easy. look at guys like pierce and dirk who get their shots with ease.

a guy like that is always an injury away from being done. he lacks the necessary tools outside of being really fast and athletic to succeed once those crutches are taken away.

BRHornet45
07-26-2012, 09:37 PM
sons Chicago has nothing to fear ...

hpHO7jkmtfc

racm
07-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Iverson 2.0

jag
07-26-2012, 10:30 PM
i knew that the moment it happened. there are 2 extremes of player types, with a mixture of combinations of the 2 in between. there are those guys like duncan who are fundamentally sound. they have the size for their positions, and all the skills necessary to be sustainable. then there are those guys like griffin, rose, who are fundamentally flawed and rely on exceptional athleticism. even when rose improved his jumper, it still isn't fluid or quick of a release. it looks like he's got a hitch in it. and he has to rely on his athleticism to get his shots off, he never gets anything easy. look at guys like pierce and dirk who get their shots with ease.

a guy like that is always an injury away from being done. he lacks the necessary tools outside of being really fast and athletic to succeed once those crutches are taken away.

Yeah, guys like Pierce, Dirk, KG and Peja all have/had a very high release on their shots. Everything Rose does relies on elevation.

tbh, Russell Westbrook would be JoePa fucked if he ever tore an ACL and lost his explosiveness/athleticism.

baseline bum
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
sons Chicago has nothing to fear ...

hpHO7jkmtfc

He should greatly help them in their quest to win the Shabazz Muhammed sweepstakes.

mavs>spurs
07-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah, guys like Pierce, Dirk, KG and Peja all have/had a very high release on their shots. Everything Rose does relies on elevation.

tbh, Russell Westbrook would be JoePa fucked if he ever tore an ACL and lost his explosiveness/athleticism.

not just their release, but the footwork and craftiness that goes into how those guys get their shots. rose isn't crafty or good at using his footwork and body to create space like those guys, he just wants to blow right by you or jump over you. that only works for so long.

redzero
07-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Good. He can go through Elementary school like Billy Madison in the meantime.

jeebus
07-26-2012, 10:39 PM
not just their release, but the footwork and craftiness that goes into how those guys get their shots. rose isn't crafty or good at using his footwork and body to create space like those guys, he just wants to blow right by you or jump over you. that only works for so long.

son it's the way he drives to the basket that fucks him up. when he injured his knee, he did the same bullshit move he always does. drive to the basket, do a hard stop with both feet, then go for the shot. maybe if he didn't have a chinaman take his SATs for him, he might learned that the body can only take so much.

jag
07-26-2012, 10:44 PM

Very true. He never really thought he needed to develop those parts of his offense because he could always rely on his athleticism. He obviously did need to develop, but he was too stupid to realize it. Lebron has all the athleticism in the world, but he's done some crazy impressive work improving his shooting stroke and footwork.

ElNono
07-26-2012, 10:47 PM
He must've obliterated that knee...

lefty
07-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Iverson 2.0

Screw that

Iverson was much better

tesseractive
07-26-2012, 10:53 PM
So much for being ahead of schedule. :lol

pass1st
07-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Screw that

Iverson was much better

Iverson didn't need practice :tu

Calispursfan11
07-26-2012, 11:23 PM
I fear that this could turn into another Brandon Roy/Oden/Michael Redd type tragedy. I'm not really a Rose fan, but you have to admire that kind of sheer athletic ability. Sadly, even if he can play at a high level he will probably never regain the explosiveness he once had. If he does regain some of it, he will likely still play tentatively without his pre-injury edge for a long time. In any case, this is not a good sign.

Greg Oden
07-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Good. He can go through Elementary school like Billy Madison in the meantime.

crofl

racm
07-27-2012, 12:40 AM

Should count himself lucky Bennett and co haven't gotten hit by karma yet. :rollin

HeatChamps
07-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Fuck those Bulls. We would've owned them anyways.

TDMVPDPOY
07-27-2012, 02:14 AM
enjoy the bulls winning bullshit but lottery picks for the last 15yrs that didnt equate to shit

whitemamba
07-27-2012, 04:57 AM
unless he makes some miracle recovery, and some super surgery... hes not going to be the same, tearing an ACL really fucks your shit up.

racm
07-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Especially if you don't have the soundest fundamentals and rely on athleticism alone...

Latarian Milton
07-27-2012, 06:55 AM
athleticism is a gift from god for those players and they have every right to use it as much as they like, they just don't know when god's gonna take it back and when he does it, they'll start to suck and crap out real soon

it's intriguing how pierce creates shots for himself with his unathletic fat body tbh. being fat aint an excuse for sucking at sports and pierce keeps hope alive for them fatty nigs who dream of becoming professional athletes

AussieFanKurt
07-27-2012, 07:43 AM
He shoulda just got LARS

pass1st
07-27-2012, 07:49 AM
The Germans can probably inject some dead babies in his knees and magically repair his ACL

Darth_Pelican
07-27-2012, 08:18 AM
lol NewcastleKEG

Clipper Nation
07-27-2012, 09:07 AM
So is he getting the German steroid treatment?

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-27-2012, 09:28 AM
:lol MVP
:lol gang banger
:lol karma for cheating on the SATs
:lol monkeyballer relying on athleticism
:lol NewCastleCUCK
:lol saying Jersey Shore is proof Europe > America
:lol posting dick pics
:lol banned
:lol melting down like the Bulls

:cry if the Bulls tank and get Shabazz :cry

Venti Quattro
07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
:cry if the Bulls tank and get Shabazz :cry
:cry Shabazz will stay 4 years in UCLA and win a national championship :cry

TIMMYtoZO
07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
:lol Even with Rose, the Bulls weren't going anywhere.

Killakobe81
07-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Im sorry as a hoop fan I am dissapointed that he had this happen before he even hit his prime. I guess we will see if he is able to get much of his game back like CP3 did last year. I always thought it was unrealistic to expect him back before April.I know medical science has improved but an ACL takes at least one year to heal and probably another year to gain confidence in it. Bulls aint winning shit (odds were not great anyway) for two seasons and maybe by then, maybe the window will be shut.

DeadlyDynasty
07-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Changes nothing in the big scheme of things.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
I thought ACL tears aren't that seriously long term debilitating anymore?
In fact I remember in an injury thread someone saying that they can actually repair ligaments to be stronger after surgery.

Was that all BS?

Adrian Peterson tore his ACL and they're saying he's been smoking fools in early spring practices.

I hope rose regains form, he's really fun to watch.

Killakobe81
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
CP3 is NOT 100% compared to where he was back in 2008-2009 and he's much more skilled and less athletic based. Rose will be lucky to even reach the 75% mark in a recovery.

I agree even in these Olympics he doesnt look 100%

baseline bum
07-27-2012, 06:16 PM
:cry Shabazz will stay 4 years in UCLA and win multiple national championships like Walton and Alcindor :cry

fify

Latarian Milton
07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
pre-injury rose was just the eastern version of wesbrick plus maybe some more brain cells. hope he develops a billups style of game with athleticism lost but doubt he has such mentality & intelligence to play it the way billups does, best wishes for him though

Red Hawk #21
07-27-2012, 10:43 PM
I thought ACL tears aren't that seriously long term debilitating anymore?
In fact I remember in an injury thread someone saying that they can actually repair ligaments to be stronger after surgery.

Was that all BS?

Adrian Peterson tore his ACL and they're saying he's been smoking fools in early spring practices.

I hope rose regains form, he's really fun to watch.

It's really not. I tore my ACL, Meniscus, and PCL in January and I'm already recovering now. I don't understand what all the bitching is about tbh. I'll tell you straight up, the worst part about tearing your acl is all the bullshit you have to hear. Shit like "Oh you tore your ACL, oh that's the end of your basketball career". And the stares you get when you first have your surgery, people will look at you like a cripple. And tbh I was a cripple when it happened to me just a few months ago. Now, I play basketball almost every day. Obviously I'm nowhere near being able to play actual games yet, but I go shoot and work on my ballhandling for hours on end. My knee actually feels great after. When ppl see me shooting they want me to play, and I tell them Im recovering from a torn acl. They don't believe me until I show them the scar on my knee. And my running is getting better and better. I know I'll be back, and my doctor told me they expect my knee will be stronger than it was originally if I keep rehabbing.

So your telling me if a regular guy like me can tear his ACL, PCL and Meniscus and already can be on the comeback, but a guy who is going to have top notch trainers can't? GTFOH. I support Rose and all the other athletes who have torn their ACL. I hope Rose comes back and makes you all look stupid.

Red Hawk #21
07-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Oh and Cant_Be_Faded my last statement wasn't directed at you, you actually know what your talking about unlike some people.

Red Hawk #21
07-27-2012, 10:59 PM
lol comparing yourself to a professional athlete playing at an extremely high level

for the average guy hooping at the local gym, it may not affect his game too much. for an nba player, they never return to pre-injury form. while still really good, cp3 isn't the same player he was. amare is far from the guy who pwned the fuck out of duncan for 37ppg that series. jason kidd wasn't quite the same afterward. you ain't an nba player brah lmao.

That was exactly my point. An NBA player is going to have a variety of options. He's going to have access to better rehab, better trainers and overall a better set of personnel to help him recover. And I'm pretty sure Jason Kidd and Amare didn't tear their ACL's. And even if they had (Which they didn't) those are probably aren't the guys you want to use to defend your point. Jason Kidd had his Micro-fracture surgery in 2004 and 8 years later he's still playing basketball at a considerably high level (Especially for his age). Amare is still one of the best finishers in the league and his overall game has developed since his Micro-Fracture surgery. Re-Think your argument and then come back.

Red Hawk #21
07-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Neither one was anywhere near the same after the surgury, despite still being effective.

Look at what happened to Redd. Baron Davis never reached his true potential after tearing his in college. Penny Hardaway. Stop acting like the shit isn't a serious issue, you look dumb.

You tearing your ACL and recovering to play gym ball is irrelevant to the discussion.

How did I act like it wasn't a serious issue? I've actually gone through the injury and I'm still going through it now so I know what I'm talking about. Michael Redd tore his ACL twice so that's obviously much different from tearing it once. You can say Davis never reached his true potential and I won't disagree with you. However, in his prime he was a great player and still very explosive. Again, I don't know if these are people you should be using to defend your argument. And Penny Hardaway is a person who had a series of chronic Knee problems and he also didn't recover properly after surgery. Most likely, because he came back too quickly after surgery.

Latarian Milton
07-27-2012, 11:52 PM
think such an injury makes just as much impact on your mind as it does on your body, if not more. you ain't gonna exert yourself that hard after the injury. Vince Carter may still slam a dunk once in a while, but he ain't doing it for fun everyday like he used to do. rose may as well develop a different style of game which enables him continue to dominate in a more sustainable way, using his brain more and monkeyball less

100%duncan
07-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Is this even news? When he tore that ACL, we all knew he wasn't going to play next season.

smaka
07-28-2012, 02:59 AM
But still, the Bulls get to play on Christmas day...

dylankerouac
07-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Good luck to D. Rose.

nowhereman523
07-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Tank, Draft Shabbaz Muhammad, bring in Phil Jackson.

ElNono
07-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Too bad that going back to school and earning a degree is out of the question for him, tbh...

racm
07-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Everyone can't be Jeff Green, son...

rayjayjohnson
07-29-2012, 05:19 AM
lol now he needs to lern2sh00t

rayjayjohnson
07-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Too bad that going back to school and earning a degree is out of the question for him, tbh...

:lol adidas
:lol $200 million contract
:lol gangbanger

jeebus
05-04-2013, 09:41 PM
:lmao

Venti Quattro
05-04-2013, 09:57 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao It's already May and he hasn't made his return