Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Report: Derrick Rose 'out until likely March'

The Chicago Tribune reports, in the midst of an in-depth analysis of whether the Bulls' moves are financially-based or basketball-driven, that Derrick Rose is "out until likely March."

Kaboom.

Reports in May had targeted an early January return for Rose, but March is more consistent with the tentative-12-months prognosis often given to ACL injuries. There's no way to be sure, though. Rose could bust through rehab and make it back by January. He could have setbacks and miss the entire year. It's a long and difficult process with steps along the way, but all of them have to go right for him to hit the optimistic end. And updated projection two months later of March is not a good sign.

Rose being out until March would spell doom for the Bulls' season. They might be able to maintain their pace they did last season, even after losing several key bench contributors, but there's no way Rose is back to anything close to himself by the time the playoffs roll around in mid-April. That puts the Bulls' chances at a le in the "not great under any conceivable scenario" category. And without Rose, if things don't go as swimmingly with the new cast of characters as they did last season, the Bulls could wind up on the outside of the playoffs, a stunning fall from their No.1 seeding in the East two years in a row.

But it's still early. There's a good chance Rose can get back on track, and make January or at least split the difference and return after the All-Star break. Two months to find his rhythm is much better than six weeks before the playoffs and things might be salvageable. But the longer this thing goes, the more the temptation will be to shut Rose down for the entire year. If that happens, this year doesn't even exist for Bulls fans.

Things can change just that quickly.
    Holy . He will never, ever be the same.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Should the Bulls just super-tank now? That's really not a bad option, although they're going to lose a year due to that. But they have no better options anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Holy . He will never, ever be the same.
    i knew that the moment it happened. there are 2 extremes of player types, with a mixture of combinations of the 2 in between. there are those guys like duncan who are fundamentally sound. they have the size for their positions, and all the skills necessary to be sustainable. then there are those guys like griffin, rose, who are fundamentally flawed and rely on exceptional athleticism. even when rose improved his jumper, it still isn't fluid or quick of a release. it looks like he's got a hitch in it. and he has to rely on his athleticism to get his shots off, he never gets anything easy. look at guys like pierce and dirk who get their shots with ease.

a guy like that is always an injury away from being done. he lacks the necessary tools outside of being really fast and athletic to succeed once those crutches are taken away.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    sons Chicago has nothing to fear ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iverson 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i knew that the moment it happened. there are 2 extremes of player types, with a mixture of combinations of the 2 in between. there are those guys like duncan who are fundamentally sound. they have the size for their positions, and all the skills necessary to be sustainable. then there are those guys like griffin, rose, who are fundamentally flawed and rely on exceptional athleticism. even when rose improved his jumper, it still isn't fluid or quick of a release. it looks like he's got a hitch in it. and he has to rely on his athleticism to get his shots off, he never gets anything easy. look at guys like pierce and dirk who get their shots with ease.

a guy like that is always an injury away from being done. he lacks the necessary tools outside of being really fast and athletic to succeed once those crutches are taken away.
    Yeah, guys like Pierce, Dirk, KG and Peja all have/had a very high release on their shots. Everything Rose does relies on elevation.

tbh, Russell Westbrook would be JoePa ed if he ever tore an ACL and lost his explosiveness/athleticism.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sons Chicago has nothing to fear ...

He should greatly help them in their quest to win the Shabazz Muhammed sweepstakes.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah, guys like Pierce, Dirk, KG and Peja all have/had a very high release on their shots. Everything Rose does relies on elevation.

tbh, Russell Westbrook would be JoePa ed if he ever tore an ACL and lost his explosiveness/athleticism.
    not just their release, but the footwork and craftiness that goes into how those guys get their shots. rose isn't crafty or good at using his footwork and body to create space like those guys, he just wants to blow right by you or jump over you. that only works for so long.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Good. He can go through Elementary school like Billy Madison in the meantime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not just their release, but the footwork and craftiness that goes into how those guys get their shots. rose isn't crafty or good at using his footwork and body to create space like those guys, he just wants to blow right by you or jump over you. that only works for so long.
    son it's the way he drives to the basket that s him up. when he injured his knee, he did the same bull move he always does. drive to the basket, do a hard stop with both feet, then go for the shot. maybe if he didn't have a chinaman take his SATs for him, he might learned that the body can only take so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very true. He never really thought he needed to develop those parts of his offense because he could always rely on his athleticism. He obviously did need to develop, but he was too stupid to realize it. Lebron has all the athleticism in the world, but he's done some crazy impressive work improving his shooting stroke and footwork.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He must've obliterated that knee...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Screw that

Iverson was much better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much for being ahead of schedule.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Screw that

Iverson was much better
    Iverson didn't need practice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I fear that this could turn into another Brandon Roy/Oden/Michael Redd type tragedy. I'm not really a Rose fan, but you have to admire that kind of sheer athletic ability. Sadly, even if he can play at a high level he will probably never regain the explosiveness he once had. If he does regain some of it, he will likely still play tentatively without his pre-injury edge for a long time. In any case, this is not a good sign.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Good. He can go through Elementary school like Billy Madison in the meantime.
    crofl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Should count himself lucky Bennett and co haven't gotten hit by karma yet.

Believe.
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    those Bulls. We would've owned them anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    enjoy the bulls winning bull but lottery picks for the last 15yrs that didnt equate to

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    unless he makes some miracle recovery, and some super surgery... hes not going to be the same, tearing an ACL really s your up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially if you don't have the soundest fundamentals and rely on athleticism alone...

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    athleticism is a gift from god for those players and they have every right to use it as much as they like, they just don't know when god's gonna take it back and when he does it, they'll start to suck and crap out real soon

it's intriguing how pierce creates shots for himself with his unathletic fat body tbh. being fat aint an excuse for sucking at sports and pierce keeps hope alive for them fatty nigs who dream of becoming professional athletes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He shoulda just got LARS

Thread Information