PDA

View Full Version : The New York Times leaves...

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 09:10 AM
...out an important political aspect of this story:

Americans Excel, but Wieber Is Out for All-Around (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/sports/olympics/us-gymnast-wieber-eliminated-before-all-around-finals.html?_r=1&hp)

Can you identify the omission?

Hint: The characterization of Bela Karolyi's upset doesn't mesh with what he said to Bob Costas in the late night interview, last night. Oh, he did say she was cheated but, not due to a "line-up mistake."

Bela Karolyi, Martha Karolyi’s husband and the coach of the last United States team to win an Olympic gold medal, said Wieber was cheated out of a spot in the all-around, calling it “a lineup mistake” by the personal coaches.

He complained that Wieber — not Raisman — should have gone last on floor because judges often save their highest score for the final gymnast. Now, he said, he is nervous about how Wieber’s showing will affect the American team’s chances at winning the gold.

“A stronghold that was the anchor of the team is now out; I’m not sure how she’s going to respond,” he said. “I hope she is going to get the composure, just like she always does. But you know, you are human beings. You never know how they’re going to be.”

Drachen
07-30-2012, 09:27 AM
More proof that the government is trying to take away our guns? I don't know, I didn't really listen to the commentary.

George Gervin's Afro
07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
...out an important political aspect of this story:

Americans Excel, but Wieber Is Out for All-Around (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/sports/olympics/us-gymnast-wieber-eliminated-before-all-around-finals.html?_r=1&hp)

Can you identify the omission?

Hint: The characterization of Bela Karolyi's upset doesn't mesh with what he said to Bob Costas in the late night interview, last night. Oh, he did say she was cheated but, not due to a "line-up mistake."

How do you know the he didn't speak with a NY Time's reporter at another time?

Winehole23
07-30-2012, 09:36 AM
what got left out?

George Gervin's Afro
07-30-2012, 09:38 AM
what got left out?

you need to connect the dots..

Drachen
07-30-2012, 09:39 AM
you need to connect the dots..

La Lalala

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/07/01/arts/paulcap/paulcap-articleInline.jpg

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 10:02 AM
How do you know the he didn't speak with a NY Time's reporter at another time?
It's possible but, I find it hard to believe the passionate and emphatic response he gave Bob Costas, last night, wasn't similarly expressed to whomever interviewed him at the New York Times.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
More proof that the government is trying to take away our guns? I don't know, I didn't really listen to the commentary.
Really? You're going to be a troll, too? I'm embarrassed for you, Drachen.

Drachen
07-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Well, you have been on a gun kick lately and you posted about an olympic disappointment which seems to have no political context. I thought you were just connecting the dots.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Well, you have been on a gun kick lately and you posted about an olympic disappointment which seems to have no political context. I thought you were just connecting the dots.
Well, there is a political context but you seem more interested in just sniping lately.

FromWayDowntown
07-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Here's a thought: if you're interested in actually discussing whatever point you're trying to make here, it would be helpful to describe what you think Karolyi said to Costas.

Absent that, people who didn't see that interview will probably offer responses like Drachen's, trying to make light of your recent flurry of "Yay! Go Team!" posts

ChumpDumper
07-30-2012, 10:20 AM
The Lebanese judo team heckled her for not performing in a burqa, making her lose her concentration and go out of bounds.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Here's a thought: if you're interested in actually discussing whatever point you're trying to make here, it would be helpful to describe what you think Karolyi said to Costas.

Absent that, people who didn't see that interview will probably offer responses like Drachen's, trying to make light of your recent flurry of "Yay! Go Team!" posts
Well, the point is two-fold: One, the media will ignore anything that goes against the chosen narrative and, two, that means many of us were unaware the Olympics instituted some politically-correct type of affirmative action in women's gymnastics some time back.

That's about what Karoyli was complaining.

I looked back and, as best I can tell, the practice started with either the 2004 or 2008 Olympics games. Instead of the top 24 individual gymnasts going on to compete in the individual finals, it's the top two from individual countries with the top 24 scores.

What the fuck? Is this the Olympics or is it a California Youth Soccer Club?

ChumpDumper
07-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Oh, so it has nothing at all to do with politics.

boutons_deux
07-30-2012, 10:46 AM
"the media will ignore anything that goes against the chosen narrative"

as in dickhead's chosen narrative: "Saddam has WMD" ? :lol

FromWayDowntown
07-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Well, the point is two-fold: One, the media will ignore anything that goes against the chosen narrative and, two, that means many of us were unaware the Olympics instituted some politically-correct type of affirmative action in women's gymnastics some time back.

That's about what Karoyli was complaining.

I looked back and, as best I can tell, the practice started with either the 2004 or 2008 Olympics games. Instead of the top 24 individual gymnasts going on to compete in the individual finals, it's the top two from individual countries with the top 24 scores.

What the fuck? Is this the Olympics or is it a California Youth Soccer Club?

Well, another American gymnastics official, John Geddart, referred to this as a children's sport.

Whatever, this is hardly novel in sports, even at the highest levels and in the world's biggest competitions.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Well, another American gymnastics official, John Geddart, referred to this as a children's sport.

Whatever, this is hardly novel in sports, even at the highest levels and in the world's biggest competitions.
Well then, they're not allowing the best to compete and it's just another feel-good, everyone gets a trophy, progressive exercise in self-esteem building.

And, scott, this is how the Olympics differ from the American Free Market system. It's a collectivist exercise where a wad of internationals come together and spend their collective nations tax dollars for a feel-good show.

Athletes don't succeed because of merit, they succeed because the bureaucracy allows them to.

Winehole23
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
bullshit. the IOC didn't make Usain Bolt the fastest man in the world.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
bullshit. the IOC didn't make Usain Bolt the fastest man in the world.
No but, if they used this qualifying system in track and field, the IOC would pick whoever is third fastest in the world.

Clipper Nation
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Them thar olympics is lib'rul!

George Gervin's Afro
07-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Well then, they're not allowing the best to compete and it's just another feel-good, everyone gets a trophy, progressive exercise in self-esteem building.

And, scott, this is how the Olympics differ from the American Free Market system. It's a collectivist exercise where a wad of internationals come together and spend their collective nations tax dollars for a feel-good show.

Athletes don't succeed because of merit, they succeed because the bureaucracy allows them to.

I'm not sure if you ever seen an Olympic competetion, but not everyone gets a Gold medal..just sayin

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure if you ever seen an Olympic competetion, but not everyone gets a Gold medal..just sayin
The effect is athletes who do not deserve a medal, on merit, will receive one because of the IOC weird affirmative action initiative.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Not to mention the rules are the same for everyone and teams like the US have been competing long enough to know what those rules are.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Not to mention the rules are the same for everyone and teams like the US have been competing long enough to know what those rules are.
This particular rule is fairly recent but, in any case the rule results not in the 24 best gymnasts competing for the medals.

George Gervin's Afro
07-30-2012, 12:33 PM
This particular rule is fairly recent but, in any case the rule results not in the 24 best gymnasts competing for the medals.

so then why is this thread in the political forum?

Drachen
07-30-2012, 12:34 PM
The effect is athletes who do not deserve a medal, on merit, will receive one because of the IOC weird affirmative action initiative.

not necessarily. The top three qualifiers are a russian (1), raisman (2) and gabby (3). Based solely on their qualifying scores wieber would be left out.

I am not saying what you describe is improbable (far from it), but you are pretending that the IOC would choose the third place winner and that is just not true.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:42 PM
not necessarily. The top three qualifiers are a russian (1), raisman (2) and gabby (3). Based solely on their qualifying scores wieber would be left out.
Wieber was in the top 24 -- unlike some the athletes from other countries that will be competing for the individual all-around.

I am not saying what you describe is improbable (far from it), but you are pretending that the IOC would choose the third place winner and that is just not true.
They certainly chose who would not be the Bronze medal winner.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:46 PM
The IOC didn't change the rules mid-competition. They were clear from the get go and applied to all the same.

Crying foul post-facto strikes me as something sore losers do. These competitions determine who the best athletes are. They're in the final round now.

FromWayDowntown
07-30-2012, 12:48 PM

The soccer World Cup, which is arguably the biggest sporting event in the world, doesn't involve the 32 best national teams on the planet competing for one of the world's premier trophies.

Drachen
07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Wieber was in the top 24 -- unlike some the athletes from other countries that will be competing for the individual all-around.

They certainly chose who would not be the Bronze medal winner.

You are right, they chose that the 4th best gymnast would not be a bronze medal winner by virtue of the fact that only the 3rd best gets a bronze medal.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
The IOC didn't change the rules mid-competition. They were clear from the get go and applied to all the same.
I'm not complaining about when the rules went into effect, they've apparently been that way for, at least, the past 2 Olympics.

I just think it's silly political correctness that has the effect of elevating the undeserving and disqualifying those that have the merit to win. That's it.

Crying foul post-facto strikes me as something sore losers do. These competitions determine who the best athletes are. They're in the final round now.
Weiber made absolutely no complaint about the unfairness of it. And, Bella Karoyli just raised the unfairness in an interview with Costas. I'm not sure he's even directly involved in the sport anymore. He hasn't been shown in the arena...just his wife.

Which, by the way, I also found curious. Any body know why Bella isn't at least a spectator at women's gymnastics? Some kind of restraint order or something?

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
The soccer World Cup, which is arguably the biggest sporting event in the world, doesn't involve the 32 best national teams on the planet competing for one of the world's premier trophies.
So? What do you want me to say? I guess that stupid, too.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Weiber made absolutely no complaint about the unfairness of it.

Maybe she doesn't think there's anything unfair about it. Who are you carrying water for in this thing? The IOC is evil crowd?

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
You are right, they chose that the 4th best gymnast would not be a bronze medal winner by virtue of the fact that only the 3rd best gets a bronze medal.
In the case of this competition, the 3rd best gymnast in the qualifying rounds wasn't even allowed to compete for the medal.

I can't tell if you're being intentional obtuse or if you really don't understand the problem.

Let me see if I can simplify.

In the women's individual finals in gymnastics, ostensibly, the 24 highest qualifying gymnasts compete for the three medals. Except now, it's not the 24 highest qualifying. Miss Wieber was eliminated so the 25th highest qualifying gymnast would have a chance. And, I have no doubt that the Russians, Chinese, and a couple of other teams who typically dominate the sport had gymnasts eliminated so the 26th, 27th, and 28th, etc... highest qualifying gymnast would have a chance at a medal.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Miss Wieber is apparently no longer a top 24 gymnast. It happens.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Maybe she doesn't think there's anything unfair about it. Who are you carrying water for in this thing? The IOC is evil crowd?
So, you don't think it's unfair? Okay; why belabor the point. I'll move on.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Miss Wieber is apparently no longer a top 24 gymnast. It happens.
By rule, not merit.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Everybody competed under the same rules, which were well known before the competition, and in front of the same judgeship. I don't see any issues of fairness, no.

Drachen
07-30-2012, 01:01 PM
So? What do you want me to say? I guess that stupid, too.

I willing to admit that it isn't the top 24 gymnasts in the world competing, from what I read it is a product of the russians in the 80's/early 90's being too good. Apparently there is some similar rule in swimming which blocks the US from having the possibility to run the table on swimming competitions.

I will agree with you on the above and that it is stupid from a competition standpoint. Its just like the Houston rockets fans wishing that the nba would take the top 16 teams into the playoffs instead of the top 8 from each conference.

Drachen
07-30-2012, 01:02 PM
In the case of this competition, the 3rd best gymnast in the qualifying rounds wasn't even allowed to compete for the medal.

I can't tell if you're being intentional obtuse or if you really don't understand the problem.

Not true. A russian received the number 1 score in the all around qualifier, so wieber would have placed 4th (if the qualifying round was the finals)

boutons_deux
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
And I'm "reaching" stating facts that Repug campaign is and will be going more racist? :lol

Drachen
07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
The valid, competition-based point I can see in it is that it encourages more countries to compete and broadens competition as a whole. One could make a case that the breadth of the competition actually elevates competition in the long-term by not demoralizing other countries. I don't know what the right answer is. At first glance it appears stupid, but it could be so stupid it is smart. - lol

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 01:18 PM
The valid, competition-based point I can see in it is that it encourages more countries to compete and broadens competition as a whole. One could make a case that the breadth of the competition actually elevates competition in the long-term by not demoralizing other countries. I don't know what the right answer is. At first glance it appears stupid, but it could be so stupid it is smart. - lol
That's the same logic behind everyone gets a trophy -- just, in this case, it's entire countries having their self-esteem built...accomplishment follows self-esteem, instead of self-esteem following accomplishment.

Guess what, not all countries participate in all events. Why? Because they are not able to produce athletes that can compete at an Olympic level. Some countries aren't even represented at the Olympics - some for the same reason, others for other reasons.

This type of thinking is what leads to embarrassing, American Idol type moments, where an athlete has been told their whole life they're the best of the best only to find out, when they're actually competing against the best of the best, they suck.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Not true. A russian received the number 1 score in the all around qualifier, so wieber would have placed 4th (if the qualifying round was the finals)
That's why you have a qualifying round to determine the 24 BEST gymnasts to compete for the medal.

Oh, Gee!!
07-30-2012, 01:32 PM
all I heard was "eet mor chikun!"

Drachen
07-30-2012, 01:34 PM
In the case of this competition, the 3rd best gymnast in the qualifying rounds wasn't even allowed to compete for the medal.I can't tell if you're being intentional obtuse or if you really don't understand the problem.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 01:36 PM
I see your point but, she certainly wasn't the 25th...which is my point.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 01:37 PM
all I heard was "eet mor chikun!"
All I heard was "Who's that trip, trip, tropping across my bridge."

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Olympics outrage: Should Jordyn Wieber be in the all-around final? (http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Olympics/2012/0730/Olympics-outrage-Should-Jordyn-Wieber-be-in-the-all-around-final)

Jordyn Wieber, welcome to the Olympics

Logic dictates that we ask the question: How could Ms. Wieber, the 2011 all-around world champion – who even on an off day Sunday finished fourth in the qualification round – not make an Olympic all-around final of 24 girls?

Put another way: Twenty-one girls who scored lower than her on Sunday – many of whom have as much chance of medaling as Queen Elizabeth (at least, the non-parachuting version) – will be competing Thursday in the event that defines the careers of the world’s best gymnasts.
The Olympic philosophy is "we want to spread the wealth, we want to spread sport to other parts of the world," says David Wallechinsky, author of "The Complete Book of the Olympics." Otherwise, there would be no Saudi Arabian woman runners or American badminton players.

But Wieber's failure to make a final that her scores suggest she clearly deserved points to a philosophy run amok, says Mr. Wallechinsky. "Sure, let them compete in the Olympics, but you don't have to let them compete in the final," he says.

Drachen
07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
I see your point but, she certainly wasn't the 25th...which is my point.

that is fine, as I said, I agree with you for the most part, but I was contesting your assumption that the IOC picks third place.

I am not sure that I see it as scandalous or anything, as you said, it has been the rule for a while. A stupid rule (IMO) with, from what I can gather, a possibly dubious reason, but there is no scandal here.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 03:26 PM
that is fine, as I said, I agree with you for the most part, but I was contesting your assumption that the IOC picks third place.
Essentially, they eliminate a dominate team's chances to sweep the medals and, in the case of Miss Wieber, arguably the best gymnast in the world right now, who place 4th on a bad day and eliminated her from the competition so a worse gymnast -- 21 of them to be exact -- could have a chance to compete for a medal some of them do not deserve.

I am not sure that I see it as scandalous or anything, as you said, it has been the rule for a while. A stupid rule (IMO) with, from what I can gather, a possibly dubious reason, but there is no scandal here.
I didn't call it a scandal. I simply pointed out -- after seeing the Karoyli interview -- something stupid of which I wasn't aware.

George Gervin's Afro
07-30-2012, 03:49 PM
can you pove this rule was created simply because of political correctness? whatever that is.. the entire thread is based on your premise that it was.. prove it

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 04:03 PM
can you pove this rule was created simply because of political correctness? whatever that is.. the entire thread is based on your premise that it was.. prove it
Prove it wasn't. Prove it!

:lmao You fucking crack me up.

You tell me, what would be a plausible explanation for the rule? Besides, the guy quoted in the article I posted, aways back, has probably researched the issue more than I am willing to bother with so, I stand by what he said.

Prove it. :lmao You said it with such authority, too. My goodness how you must feel so authoritarian. :lmao

I'm sorry but, you forum police/trolls just crack me up sometimes. Hey! Here's a suggestion, ignore me. ;o)

Clipper Nation
07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
It's kind of hard to ignore your crap when you start 300 poorly-thought-out "lib'rul conspiracy" threads per day, B.....

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 04:11 PM
It's kind of hard to ignore your crap when you start 300 poorly-thought-out "lib'rul conspiracy" threads per day, B.....
Really? Just don't click the link. It's easy. I do it every day. Just say no, Clipper Nation, your input won't be missed a bit.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Really? Just don't click the link. It's easy. I do it every day. Just say no, Clipper Nation, your input won't be missed a bit.

How could you do that if nobody else is starting 6+ turd threads every day?

How about being a good user and keeping your junk tidy? Even boutons figured that one out a while ago...

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 04:39 PM
How could you do that if nobody else is starting 6+ turd threads every day?

How about being a good user and keeping your junk tidy? Even boutons figured that one out a while ago...
If no one responded they'd roll off the first page in a day.

Go ahead, start a campaign. Perhaps it'll bear fruit.

Here, I'll provide a clear message for you to share:

"LET YONI ROLL, JUST DON'T CLICK!"

Truth be told, you and about a 8 or 9 other posters waste more bandwidth with your personal sniping and trolling that do my thread starts.

And, when I look back at my thread starts, many of them are multi-page conversations about the topic...mixed with stuff like what you just posted and the incessant trolling of the likes of ChumpDumper and boutons, et. al.

Why do you care? Are you paying for bandwidth? As far as I know, Kori still owns this board. If she want's to limit thread starts, she can let me know.

scott
07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Certainly there exist NO OTHER examples in the entire world of sports of this exact situation happening (a player/team failing to qualify who is arguably better than someone that did qualify).

Well, except for almost every other sport.

scott
07-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I mean, just think of how many Americans AREN'T in the Olympics because the stupid IOC insists we give spots to other countries.

scott
07-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Just imagine how much more interesting the 100m dash would be if it were NOTHING BUT JAMAICANS!

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Certainly there exist NO OTHER examples in the entire world of sports of this exact situation happening (a player/team failing to qualify who is arguably better than someone that did qualify).

Well, except for almost every other sport.
By design?

Actually, almost no other sport -- with the notable exception of College Football and it's stupid CBS (which, it appears, they're trying to rectify) -- has a system where contestants are unfairly eliminated.

scott
07-30-2012, 04:47 PM
By design?

Actually, almost no other sport -- with the notable exception of College Football and it's stupid CBS (which, it appears, they're trying to rectify) -- has a system where contestants are unfairly eliminated.

Almost no other sport?

How about instances in which an NBA team from the Western Conference doesn't get in because the evil NBA has DICTATED that each conference has an equal number of participants?

Or those times when an NFL/MLB Division Winner has a worse record than teams who miss the playoffs?

Or any sport that involves qualifying heats where the top of the heats qualify and someone who had a better time in a different heat doesn't?

ALMOST NO OTHER SPORT?!?!

scott
07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
By design?

What was unfair about the way she was eliminated? Did they implement the rule midway her routine?

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Just imagine how much more interesting the 100m dash would be if it were NOTHING BUT JAMAICANS!
What are there 8 lanes? Well, if the 8 fastest sprinters are Jamaicans, so be it.

Would the Jamaicans also dominate every other sport?

I mean, c'mon. Isn't it Tony Parker that's playing Basketball for the French? The Olympics are becoming a joke.

If they don't want it to be a showcase for the amateur athlete, from whatever nation, to demonstrate they're the best in the world, what's the point?

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 04:51 PM
What was unfair about the way she was eliminated? Did they implement the rule midway her routine?
Read up, we've already had that argument.

I've already conceded it's the rule, I think it's an unfair rule that punishes merit and rewards failure -- the Olympics should just admit they're more interested in diversity than placing the most qualified athletes in competition for the three medals.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Outrage!

scott
07-30-2012, 04:56 PM
The Olympics is most interested in entertainment value to beget ratings and thus to beget the inflow of dollars. Remember that American free-market system you brought up earlier?

the Olympics should just admit they're more interested in diversity than placing the most qualified athletes in competition for the three medals.

Was she not in the competition for a medal? This is the way qualifiers work. Or maybe you should be complaining about all the American Gymnasts who didn't even make the US Squad. Surely they could have posted better scores than some of these other participants too.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Almost no other sport?

How about instances in which an NBA team from the Western Conference doesn't get in because the evil NBA has DICTATED that each conference has an equal number of participants?
I'm not familiar with Basketball. Do they have Conference Championships that determines who moves to the finals? Is each team given the opportunity to win their way out of their division and into the finals?

Or those times when an NFL/MLB Division Winner has a worse record than teams who miss the playoffs?
I am more familiar with the NFL/MLB playoff (more with the MLB) and they do advance based on how they perform in their individual leagues, divisions, etc...

Wouldn't it take a season longer than 12 months for any of the professional leagues to play each other enough times to arrive at a champion by win/loss elimination?

Yeah. Well, in the women's gymnastics, they do that anyway, everybody competes for a score that matters less than what country you happen to be from, limiting countries from advancing gymnasts who may have scored better than others.

Or any sport that involves qualifying heats where the top of the heats qualify and someone who had a better time in a different heat doesn't?
And, if you fuck up in the qualifying heats, you don't deserve to advance. Wieber placed fourth in that, "qualifying heat," out of how ever many gymnasts were competing.

Besides, these gymnasts have been through a series of gymnastics meets that qualified them to even be in London this year.

ALMOST NO OTHER SPORT?!?!
Almost no other sport.

Imagine an NCAA bracket that starts with, what is it, 64 team? Imagine after two rounds of the playoffs, the rules state you must drop the 4th seed team and replace it with the 17th seed team.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
The Olympics is most interested in entertainment value to beget ratings and thus to beget the inflow of dollars. Remember that American free-market system you brought up earlier?
Why bother with the charade of all these international events leading up to the finals? Why not just tell everyone to bring their two best gymnasts and we'll award medals.

Was she not in the competition for a medal? This is the way qualifiers work. Or maybe you should be complaining about all the American Gymnasts who didn't even make the US Squad. Surely they could have posted better scores than some of these other participants too.
Never mind. I'm persuaded.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2012, 05:15 PM
So basically, yoni wants an Olympic games to determine who will compete in the Olympic games.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 05:20 PM
If no one responded they'd roll off the first page in a day.

3/4 of them do find that fate... then another 5+ turd ones come to replace them... I'm hoping it will all go away after the election, once you're done with your political menstruation period.

Truth be told, you and about a 8 or 9 other posters waste more bandwidth with your personal sniping and trolling that do my thread starts.

When you post shit, you should expect to get called out for it. Happens to boutons, NBADan, etc... that's where your posting level is at these days. Sad really.

Why do you care? Are you paying for bandwidth?

Because it's spam, and makes this place suck. If we wanted to receive the mailing list you get 90% of your shit from, we'll just ask to be added to it.

Clipper Nation
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Mailing list? More like Yoni just watches O'Reilly and Hannity every night tbh....

scott
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm not familiar with Basketball. Do they have Conference Championships that determines who moves to the finals? Is each team given the opportunity to win their way out of their division and into the finals?

Yes, the same way that each Gymnast is given the change to win their way out of their team and into the finals.

I am more familiar with the NFL/MLB playoff (more with the MLB) and they do advance based on how they perform in their individual leagues, divisions, etc...

Wouldn't it take a season longer than 12 months for any of the professional leagues to play each other enough times to arrive at a champion by win/loss elimination?

Baseball is 162 games. I doubt it would be any longer.

Yeah. Well, in the women's gymnastics, they do that anyway, everybody competes for a score that matters less than what country you happen to be from, limiting countries from advancing gymnasts who may have scored better than others.

And, if you fuck up in the qualifying heats, you don't deserve to advance. Wieber placed fourth in that, "qualifying heat," out of how ever many gymnasts were competing.

Wieber didn't place fourth in that heat. Her heat was her team's run trough each apparatus, and she place 3rd in a heat where the top 2 advance.

Besides, these gymnasts have been through a series of gymnastics meets that qualified them to even be in London this year.

Almost no other sport.

Imagine an NCAA bracket that starts with, what is it, 64 team? Imagine after two rounds of the playoffs, the rules state you must drop the 4th seed team and replace it with the 17th seed team.

Or imagine that of those 64 teams to start, some of them don't have as good a record as some of the teams who didn't make the tournament (which happens every year).

scott
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Well I flipped through WOAI on the way home and they were complaining about this very topic and the socialism it represents. Apparently there just needs to be a Conservative Games with rules they like. If your team starts one, I'd watch.

scott
07-30-2012, 05:56 PM

Or imagine a Bracket where the brackets are unevenly weighted based on strength of the teams, and in the Final one of the teams isn't as good as a team that lost in the earlier rounds on the other side of the bracket.

That happens in ALMOST NO OTHER SPORT I'm sure.

MannyIsGod
07-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Wait why does Tony Parker playing for France make the Olympics a joke? Who else would he play for? I'm confused on that point.

Drachen
07-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Wait why does Tony Parker playing for France make the Olympics a joke? Who else would he play for? I'm confused on that point.

Belgium I guess.

George Gervin's Afro
07-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Prove it wasn't. Prove it!

:lmao You fucking crack me up.

You tell me, what would be a plausible explanation for the rule? Besides, the guy quoted in the article I posted, aways back, has probably researched the issue more than I am willing to bother with so, I stand by what he said.

Prove it. :lmao You said it with such authority, too. My goodness how you must feel so authoritarian. :lmao

I'm sorry but, you forum police/trolls just crack me up sometimes. Hey! Here's a suggestion, ignore me. ;o)

so you can't prove it... troll lol

FuzzyLumpkins
07-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Another Yoni thread, another focus on minutiae.

Thanks for your contribution towards keeping the electorate ignorant to policy.