Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...out an important political aspect of this story:

Americans Excel, but Wieber Is Out for All-Around

Can you identify the omission?

Hint: The characterization of Bela Karolyi's upset doesn't mesh with what he said to Bob Costas in the late night interview, last night. Oh, he did say she was cheated but, not due to a "line-up mistake."

Bela Karolyi, Martha Karolyi’s husband and the coach of the last United States team to win an Olympic gold medal, said Wieber was cheated out of a spot in the all-around, calling it “a lineup mistake” by the personal coaches.

He complained that Wieber — not Raisman — should have gone last on floor because judges often save their highest score for the final gymnast. Now, he said, he is nervous about how Wieber’s showing will affect the American team’s chances at winning the gold.

“A stronghold that was the anchor of the team is now out; I’m not sure how she’s going to respond,” he said. “I hope she is going to get the composure, just like she always does. But you know, you are human beings. You never know how they’re going to be.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More proof that the government is trying to take away our guns? I don't know, I didn't really listen to the commentary.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...out an important political aspect of this story:

Americans Excel, but Wieber Is Out for All-Around

Can you identify the omission?

Hint: The characterization of Bela Karolyi's upset doesn't mesh with what he said to Bob Costas in the late night interview, last night. Oh, he did say she was cheated but, not due to a "line-up mistake."
    How do you know the he didn't speak with a NY Time's reporter at another time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what got left out?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what got left out?
    you need to connect the dots..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you need to connect the dots..
    La Lalala

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you know the he didn't speak with a NY Time's reporter at another time?
    It's possible but, I find it hard to believe the passionate and emphatic response he gave Bob Costas, last night, wasn't similarly expressed to whomever interviewed him at the New York Times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More proof that the government is trying to take away our guns? I don't know, I didn't really listen to the commentary.
    Really? You're going to be a troll, too? I'm embarrassed for you, Drachen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you have been on a gun kick lately and you posted about an olympic disappointment which seems to have no political context. I thought you were just connecting the dots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you have been on a gun kick lately and you posted about an olympic disappointment which seems to have no political context. I thought you were just connecting the dots.
    Well, there is a political context but you seem more interested in just sniping lately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a thought: if you're interested in actually discussing whatever point you're trying to make here, it would be helpful to describe what you think Karolyi said to Costas.

Absent that, people who didn't see that interview will probably offer responses like Drachen's, trying to make light of your recent flurry of "Yay! Go Team!" posts

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lebanese judo team heckled her for not performing in a burqa, making her lose her concentration and go out of bounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a thought: if you're interested in actually discussing whatever point you're trying to make here, it would be helpful to describe what you think Karolyi said to Costas.

Absent that, people who didn't see that interview will probably offer responses like Drachen's, trying to make light of your recent flurry of "Yay! Go Team!" posts
    Well, the point is two-fold: One, the media will ignore anything that goes against the chosen narrative and, two, that means many of us were unaware the Olympics ins uted some politically-correct type of affirmative action in women's gymnastics some time back.

That's about what Karoyli was complaining.

I looked back and, as best I can tell, the practice started with either the 2004 or 2008 Olympics games. Instead of the top 24 individual gymnasts going on to compete in the individual finals, it's the top two from individual countries with the top 24 scores.

What the ? Is this the Olympics or is it a California Youth Soccer Club?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, so it has nothing at all to do with politics.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "the media will ignore anything that goes against the chosen narrative"

as in head's chosen narrative: "Saddam has WMD" ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the point is two-fold: One, the media will ignore anything that goes against the chosen narrative and, two, that means many of us were unaware the Olympics ins uted some politically-correct type of affirmative action in women's gymnastics some time back.

That's about what Karoyli was complaining.

I looked back and, as best I can tell, the practice started with either the 2004 or 2008 Olympics games. Instead of the top 24 individual gymnasts going on to compete in the individual finals, it's the top two from individual countries with the top 24 scores.

What the ? Is this the Olympics or is it a California Youth Soccer Club?
    Well, another American gymnastics official, John Geddart, referred to this as a children's sport.

Whatever, this is hardly novel in sports, even at the highest levels and in the world's biggest compe ions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, another American gymnastics official, John Geddart, referred to this as a children's sport.

Whatever, this is hardly novel in sports, even at the highest levels and in the world's biggest compe ions.
    Well then, they're not allowing the best to compete and it's just another feel-good, everyone gets a trophy, progressive exercise in self-esteem building.

And, scott, this is how the Olympics differ from the American Free Market system. It's a collectivist exercise where a wad of internationals come together and spend their collective nations tax dollars for a feel-good show.

Athletes don't succeed because of merit, they succeed because the bureaucracy allows them to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bull . the IOC didn't make Usain Bolt the fastest man in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bull . the IOC didn't make Usain Bolt the fastest man in the world.
    No but, if they used this qualifying system in track and field, the IOC would pick whoever is third fastest in the world.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Them thar olympics is lib'rul!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well then, they're not allowing the best to compete and it's just another feel-good, everyone gets a trophy, progressive exercise in self-esteem building.

And, scott, this is how the Olympics differ from the American Free Market system. It's a collectivist exercise where a wad of internationals come together and spend their collective nations tax dollars for a feel-good show.

Athletes don't succeed because of merit, they succeed because the bureaucracy allows them to.
    I'm not sure if you ever seen an Olympic competetion, but not everyone gets a Gold medal..just sayin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure if you ever seen an Olympic competetion, but not everyone gets a Gold medal..just sayin
    The effect is athletes who do not deserve a medal, on merit, will receive one because of the IOC weird affirmative action initiative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not to mention the rules are the same for everyone and teams like the US have been competing long enough to know what those rules are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention the rules are the same for everyone and teams like the US have been competing long enough to know what those rules are.
    This particular rule is fairly recent but, in any case the rule results not in the 24 best gymnasts competing for the medals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This particular rule is fairly recent but, in any case the rule results not in the 24 best gymnasts competing for the medals.
    so then why is this thread in the political forum?

Thread Information