PDA

View Full Version : Pop's Neutering by Stern

Mugen
01-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Is going to cost the Spurs. Ever since 250k, Pop has completely changed his coaching philosophy on resting the Big 3. It's led to the TP/Gino/TD playing minutes they didn't have to in losses on the 2nd night of a b2b @ POR, @ DEN, and @NY. All were pretty much "scheduled losses".

pretty sad to see the Commish getting the best of Pop in the long run and could eventually lead to a major injury. I'll be very surprised if Pop ever rests the Big 3 again to any team other than the bottom feeders of the league.

So much for putting the health of your team above all else tbh.

Uriel
01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Is going to cost the Spurs. Ever since 250k, Pop has completely changed his coaching philosophy on resting the Big 3. It's led to the TP/Gino/TD playing minutes they didn't have to in losses on the 2nd night of a b2b @ POR, @ DEN, and @NY. All were pretty much "scheduled losses".

pretty sad to see the Commish getting the best of Pop in the long run and could eventually lead to a major injury. I'll be very surprised if Pop ever rests the Big 3 again to any team other than the bottom feeders of the league.

When you use a period along with quotation marks, the period has to come inside the quotation marks. "Like so."

Mugen
01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
When you use a period along with quotation marks, the period has to come inside the quotation marks. "Like so."

:lol

Warlord23
01-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Pop can always let the big 3 play 10-12 minutes in the first half and rest them the entire 2nd half. He doesn't need to play them 30+ minutes in these situations.

rascal
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Money talks. Stern hit the Spurs were it hurts the most for them.

Boomersgold
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM

The syntax is different depending on whether you write in the British or US punctuation styles. Both are acceptable.

In the US: "Duncan for the three."

In the UK: "Duncan for the three".

timvp
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Tbh, I don't think this was a classic "rest" game for Pop. Yes, it's four games in five nights but the Spurs have had a relatively easy schedule and the minutes have been reasonable for everyone. It's not like Pop always used to "rest" when it was four games in five nights.

That Portland game was a different story but this I didn't think the Knicks game was one Pop would historically sit the Big 3. Obviously, hindsight tells us that it would have been a good idea ... but that's a different conversation.

jmard5
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I guess Popovich won't let this happen next time.

FkLA
01-03-2013, 09:54 PM
You wanna pay the $250k for him, brah? Not sure what you expect him to do, especially since Im sure that Jew would probably lay down a harsher punishment if Pop continued sitting out players.

Mugen
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Pop can always let the big 3 play 10-12 minutes in the first half and rest them the entire 2nd half. He doesn't need to play them 30+ minutes in these situations.

That would be pointless tbh. Pop's smart enough to know that they prob aren't winning @ POR, @ DEN, or @ NY on the 2nd night of b2bs, let alone the 4th game in 5 nights. Pre-250k Pop rests them without much thought. Post-250k Pop plays them unnecessary minutes and heightens the risk of a season ending injury.

spurtech09
01-03-2013, 09:58 PM
agree

Mugen
01-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Tbh, I don't think this was a classic "rest" game for Pop. Yes, it's four games in five nights but the Spurs have had a relatively easy schedule and the minutes have been reasonable for everyone. It's not like Pop always used to "rest" when it was four games in five nights.

That Portland game was a different story but this I didn't think the Knicks game was one Pop would historically sit the Big 3. Obviously, hindsight tells us that it would have been a good idea ... but that's a different conversation.

I'd figure you put the Spurs' chances to win this game were about 25% before tipoff. Pop probably thought the same so I'm not sure what the point was in risking it.

Uriel
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
The syntax is different depending on whether you write in the British or US punctuation styles. Both are acceptable.

In the US: "Duncan for the three."

In the UK: "Duncan for the three".
I was going to take your word for it, but I decided to verify by reading a news article from one of the UK's leading newspapers. Here was the first sentence of the first article I could find that made use of quotation marks.

"Whenever they have been asked their opinion they have said they want to retain their current status with the UK. They are holding a referendum this year and I hope the president of Argentina will listen to that referendum and recognise it is for the Falkland islanders to choose their future, and for as long as they choose to stay with the UK they have my 100% backing."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/03/david-cameron-falkland-islands-argentina

As you can clearly see, the period is inside the quotation mark.

Boomersgold
01-03-2013, 10:19 PM
I was going to take your word for it, but I decided to verify by reading a news article from one of the UK's leading newspapers. Here was the first sentence of the first article I could find that made use of quotation marks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/03/david-cameron-falkland-islands-argentina

Have a quick read of this:

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/quotation_%28speech%29_marks_punctuation_in_or_out .htm

Russ
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
I doubt that anything Stern did influenced Pop's substitution pattern in the least.

Russ
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
"Whenever they have been asked their opinion they have said they want to retain their current status with the UK. They are holding a referendum this year and I hope the president of Argentina will listen to that referendum and recognise it is for the Falkland islanders to choose their future, and for as long as they choose to stay with the UK they have my 100% backing."

Malvinas son Argentinas!

Blizzardwizard
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM

"___." is used in the UK when an actual sentence is written inside the quotation marks. "___". is used when a phrase or a word is written inside the quotation marks. Both are accepted in the UK. Sincerely, UK citizen. :downspin::king

Jumi
01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
:toast

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Pop is the best coach in the league at protecting his players' health. I think he underestimated how fatigued they were, and probably underestimated the effort the Knicks would come out with a little bit as well.

Doubtful Stern had much to do with it.