PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Could Danny Green win a Finals MVP?

Splits
06-12-2013, 08:02 AM
I mean, seriously?

If the award were given out at this point in time, he'd have to be the favorite to win it. The fucker is 16/23 from deep and seriously checking The Greatest Player in The World when matched up in the low post. Obviously, he's a scrub and won't keep it up, but gott damn this fucker went from dancing on the sidelines to playing in Slovenia, to dominating the NBA finals. Props to Danny Green.

StrengthAndHonor
06-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Would be a good story but its a media award. Right now its not clear but Parker seems to be the favorite with his beautiful display of clutch in Game 1. If Danny gets 2 more 20 pt games and continues to do a fine job on Bron then its his.

Splits
06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Postgame was hilarious. Green walks in with this shit-eating grin on his face and says, "Sup?" as he sits down.

Pop: "He's a pretty confident young man right now"

Spurs9
06-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Yes absolutely, who else are you going to give it to?

midnightpulp
06-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Leonard would be my pick if the series ended today. While it's hard to ignore Green's offense (a couple of those 3s did come in garbage time) and good defense, Leonard has been a beast on the boards, is Lebron's primary's defender, and has just generally created havoc.

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2013, 09:00 AM
lebron only scored like 10 pts on KL so far in the series...rest from scrubs

urunobili
06-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Yes absolutely, who else are you going to give it to?

Leonard, Kawhi

Splits
06-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Leonard would be my pick if the series ended today. While it's hard to ignore Green's offense (a couple of those 3s did come in garbage time) and good defense, Leonard has been a beast on the boards, is Lebron's primary's defender, and has just generally created havoc.

Stop thinking rationally and think like the people who give out the award. Nobody notices defense.

it's me
06-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Loved what Green did last night, but lets be realistic, dude is a pure shooter who happened to be OPEN most of the game and very caliente....... but he's not the focus of attention. Shit, even the old Manu Brickobili was being doubled teamed.... TD and TP draw A LOT of attention, if players like Green Neal and Leonard hit their shot, we don't need the big three to put up big numbers, but they are still the reason the spurs are successful.

gnsf0946
06-12-2013, 11:06 AM
if Parker could win it, i don't see why Green couldn't tbh

whitemamba
06-12-2013, 11:28 AM
This would be a great story, being cut twice, D-League..

Splits
06-12-2013, 11:49 AM
This would be a great story, being cut twice, D-League..

Dancing with GPOTP, dancing on his legacy

whitemamba
06-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Dancing with GPOTP, dancing on his legacy

http://www.rollogrady.org/media/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/danny-green-dancing.jpg

DMC
06-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Danny cannot win the MVP. Lebron will win the Finals MVP. Players on losing teams don't win the MVP since West won it. Even if the Spurs somehow found a way to win, Danny wouldn't win the MVP. It would go to Tim or Tony. Even ESPN gave Tim most of the credit for the win last night, already setting up the scenario for a "wtf" when the give him the trophy.

Danny with a Finals MVP would be a disaster for the league. It would mean that stars don't matter, and that's counterproductive for a star fueled league.

Brunodf
06-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Well, Tony won in 2007...

Chinook
06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Danny cannot win the MVP. Lebron will win the Finals MVP. Players on losing teams don't win the MVP since West won it. Even if the Spurs somehow found a way to win, Danny wouldn't win the MVP. It would go to Tim or Tony. Even ESPN gave Tim most of the credit for the win last night, already setting up the scenario for a "wtf" when the give him the trophy.

Danny with a Finals MVP would be a disaster for the league. It would mean that stars don't matter, and that's counterproductive for a star fueled league.

Pretty much agree with this. It'd be one thing if Leonard had Green's numbers. Then the NBA could market a new star. But Green is a little too old to market as a rising player, and he's not likely to get so much better than he gets true star production. I expect whomever out of Parker and Duncan play the best going forward to get the MVP if the Spurs win the series.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-12-2013, 02:10 PM
For him to absolutely deserve it he'll need at least one more big game, for them to bother awarding it to him he'll need two. If he has another big game in this series Spoelstra should be fired. If Danny Green has two then the people of Miami need to beat Spoelstra in the street with sacks of plantains and coke. (Or whatever it is that they have in their homes. Those are just the two obvious ones that jumped to mind.)

DMC
06-12-2013, 02:13 PM
In 2005 Manu could have won it but it was given to Tim because Manu wasn't a "star" at the time.

Baseline
06-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, Tony won in 2007... Right, even though it was still very much Tim's team in 2007, Tony won the Finals MVP because the series was such a blowout. Just like last night, we didn't need 25-15 games from Tim in order to win. Tony played well, but he was the beneficiary of a blowout series. At this point, I'd say Kawhi should win it. But it's more likely they'll give it to Tim. I agree with the theory that the NBA would prefer that a star win the Finals MVP. David Stern would be rollin over in his grave if Danny Green won it.

ElNono
06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
If the Spurs win, they should give it to T-Mac, tbh

KaiRMD1
06-12-2013, 05:57 PM
If he keeps shooting the way he has, I don't see why not?

hater
06-12-2013, 06:04 PM

fail

http://swotti.starmedia.com/tmp/swotti/cacheY2HHDW5JZXKGYMLSBHVWCW==T3ROZXJZLU90AGVYCW==/imgchauncey%20billups2.jpg

I'd take Kawhi so far, but Duncan/Green are not a bad option. long way to go.

Phillip
06-12-2013, 07:38 PM
:rollin checking him in the low post

anyone can check anybody in the low post, if you have 2 other defenders (one of them always being a 7 footer) waiting to crash on him the second he makes a move.

all green has done is do an effective job of triple teaming lebron. woo hoo

Captivus
06-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Is this the beginning of a "Greensanity"?!

Rogue
06-12-2013, 10:41 PM
fail

http://swotti.starmedia.com/tmp/swotti/cacheY2HHDW5JZXKGYMLSBHVWCW==T3ROZXJZLU90AGVYCW==/imgchauncey%20billups2.jpg

the 04' pistons didn't have no star so they had to pick a more glossy one from a bag of rocks imho

lefty
06-13-2013, 12:30 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr3446sGXR1qk26dzo1_500.gif

Chris
06-13-2013, 12:33 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Kawai has been unbelievable this series, and is showing flashes of becoming a legitimate all star.

Jacob1983
06-13-2013, 12:59 AM
I think the award should be voted by the players on the winning team. Right now, Green is the MVP.

Chinook
06-13-2013, 02:03 AM
:rollin checking him in the low post

anyone can check anybody in the low post, if you have 2 other defenders (one of them always being a 7 footer) waiting to crash on him the second he makes a move.

all green has done is do an effective job of triple teaming lebron. woo hoo

No, Leonard gets and at as much (I think more) help as Green does. Danny has legitimately checked James in the post. Leonard is great at keeping James from making a productive move; Green's the one blocking him. Also, Green's pretty much neutralized James in transition so far, which is pretty shocking considering how great Lebron is on the break.

Phillip
06-13-2013, 09:22 AM
No, Leonard gets and at as much (I think more) help as Green does. Danny has legitimately checked James in the post. Leonard is great at keeping James from making a productive move; Green's the one blocking him. Also, Green's pretty much neutralized James in transition so far, which is pretty shocking considering how great Lebron is on the break.

no

Chinook
06-13-2013, 09:46 AM
no

Yes, actually. Green already has four blocks on James. No one else as any to my recollection:

One in the first game when James tried to go up after a rebound.

One in Game 2 when James thought he had beaten Green by Danny got him from behind.

Two in Game 3. One where James also got blocked from behind, and then Green's straight-up block that led to Neal's three to end the first half.

In general, James has still only scored twice on Green in the post (estimate; it was only one after Game 2), and through two games, Green had allowed nine points in 11 possessions against James and only two points in six possessions in the post. In fact, the only shots James missed in the post last game were the ones on which Green blocked him.

Interspersed with all that post defense were moments of Green absolutely shutting James down in transition. James has only scored once in six attempts against Green in on the break. One led to that questionable blocking call and another was an assist to Wade that Leonard fell asleep on (Leonard fell asleep in transition a lot).

So, yes, Green has legitimately checked James on defense. Has he gone against James at his best? I don't think so. But it's not like Danny is triple-teaming while Kawhi is playing James straight up. Have bigs been behind him? Yes, but not more than they've been when Leonard, George or Butler have been on James. Green is defending Lebron just as legitmately as those guys did, which is really impressive given the size difference. I always think James is just going to barrel over Green, which he probably has to start doing tonight. But so far, Green is also looking like a defensive MVP candidate of the series.

Phillip
06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
lol needing constant double and triple team help

DMC
06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Kawai has been unbelievable this series, and is showing flashes of becoming a legitimate all star.

He's been so good you cannot even spell his fucking name right. How can you give a man an MVP for the Finals when you cannot even recall how to spell his fucking name? Obviously he's not been that apparent.

DMC
06-13-2013, 01:47 PM
fail

Who was the superstar on that Pistons team who could have gotten the MVP over Billups?

Didn't think so... faggot

Chinook
06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
If it were Paul George doing what Green and Leonard are doing, then it would be pretty clear he'd get the nod. But the NBA has laid no groundwork for either Danny or Kawhi to become stars. They still consider them role-players. So they'll never get credit for what they do (especially Green, as I'm sure Leonard will be considered a rising star in the next year or two). People will credit Duncan and Pop for the defense on James, people will credit Parker for the threes.

hater
06-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Who was the superstar on that Pistons team who could have gotten the MVP over Billups?

Didn't think so... faggot

I was commenting on your comment that it would be a "disaster" for the league to choose a non-star

How much of a disaster was it when Billups was picked? :rolleyes

How counterproductive was it? :lol

thought so faggot

dunkman
06-13-2013, 05:15 PM
If the Spurs win the g4, he could tbh . . .

No team has ever come back to win the finals from 1:3.

DMC
06-13-2013, 05:37 PM
I was commenting on your comment that it would be a "disaster" for the league to choose a non-star

There was no option there. Tony and Tim already have MVPs, giving them another wouldn't violate the superstar agenda.

How much of a disaster was it when Billups was picked? :rolleyes

You tell me. The following year they hand it to Tim when Manu deserved it. The year after that Shaq took Wade and got him one. Then it was given to Tony Parker who had come into his own by then. From there the league found a way to get Garnett, Allen and Pierce on the same team. Ergo the next Finals MVP after Tony was Paul Pierce. Tired of Kobe getting no post season time, they found a way to get Pau Gasol to LA. Then it's Dirk and Lebron.

Billups was the only non-star of the group but then who else on the team could have won it? Not saying they shaped the outcome of the series, but that since the media gives these things, they don't pick Danny Green over Tony and Tim. It's not going to happen. They'd sooner deal with the "why didn't Danny get it" than "who the fuck is Danny Green" next season when he's traded before the deadline.

How counterproductive was it? :lol

thought so faggot
It was very counterproductive. Otherwise Pau Gasol gets it in 2010 with his work against Garnett and his production.

DMC
06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
If the Spurs win the g4, he could tbh . . .

No team has ever come back to win the finals from 1:3.

And before a couple days ago, no team had ever hit 16 3s in the Finals. There's a first time for everything.

dunkman
06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
And before a couple days ago, no team had ever hit 16 3s in the Finals. There's a first time for everything.

I know T-mac would agree, but still hope the Spurs win that g4. For Miami to win 3 consecutive games, don't know, it seems insurmountable.

hater
06-13-2013, 05:45 PM
There was no option there. Tony and Tim already have MVPs, giving them another wouldn't violate the superstar agenda.

You tell me. The following year they hand it to Tim when Manu deserved it. The year after that Shaq took Wade and got him one. Then it was given to Tony Parker who had come into his own by then. From there the league found a way to get Garnett, Allen and Pierce on the same team. Ergo the next Finals MVP after Tony was Paul Pierce. Tired of Kobe getting no post season time, they found a way to get Pau Gasol to LA. Then it's Dirk and Lebron.

Billups was the only non-star of the group but then who else on the team could have won it? Not saying they shaped the outcome of the series, but that since the media gives these things, they don't pick Danny Green over Tony and Tim. It's not going to happen. They'd sooner deal with the "why didn't Danny get it" than "who the fuck is Danny Green" next season when he's traded before the deadline.

It was very counterproductive. Otherwise Pau Gasol gets it in 2010 with his work against Garnett and his production.

Disagree that Manu was clearly the better player in the 2005 Finals. Duncan was the anchor, best defender and he put up some good numbers including a great game 7. I agree it could have been a toss up. I will also agree, when it's a toss up they will pick the superstar.

but if your theory is correct, then they could have easily given the MVP to Sheed (superstar) or Wallace (DPOY, super overrated at the time), or even hamilton (leading scorer I think)

IMO if the nonstar is clearly the better player in a series, I don't see a problem at all him getting MVP

DMC
06-13-2013, 05:56 PM
I know T-mac would agree, but still hope the Spurs win that g4. For Miami to win 3 consecutive games, don't know, it seems insurmountable.

Yeah me too. I cannot even watch parts of these games. I get too involved. I have to find other stuff to do like fuck with people here.

DMC
06-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Disagree that Manu was clearly the better player in the 2005 Finals. Duncan was the anchor, best defender and he put up some good numbers including a great game 7. I agree it could have been a toss up. I will also agree, when it's a toss up they will pick the superstar.

but if your theory is correct, then they could have easily given the MVP to Sheed (superstar) or Wallace (DPOY, super overrated at the time), or even hamilton (leading scorer I think)

IMO if the nonstar is clearly the better player in a series, I don't see a problem at all him getting MVP

I am a fan of TD, but Manu should have won that trophy. Tim always anchors the defense, doesn't mean he's always the most valuable player of the series.

It didn't matter who they gave it to. It would still be the same non-star type player.

If it's close, they go with the star. If it's blatantly obvious, they do a Cedric Maxwell.

Reck
06-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Should the Spurs win the series? There is zero doubt in my mind that he should get it. I mean, just watch these games.

Reck
06-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Should the Spurs win the series? There is zero doubt in my mind that he should get it. I mean, just watch these games.

I reiterate this claim I saidddddddddddddddd.

Josepatches_
06-16-2013, 11:03 PM
He should be the Finals MVP even if Miami win tbh.

Venti Quattro
11-03-2013, 12:39 AM
:lol jeebus I think this thread would interest you :lol

TXstbobcat
11-03-2013, 01:07 AM
The way he has been playing recently, he might loose his starting spot.

Rogue
11-03-2013, 05:01 AM
give spurs the one-time summer league MVP Matt Carroll and he would crank out the same stats as Danny Green, if not better. shooting lights out one night or two doesn't change his identity from a role player to a star player imho.

jeebus
11-03-2013, 08:34 AM
:lol jeebus (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=22786) I think this thread would interest you :lol
:lol

Everyone saw the finals, everyone knows to stay with him now. The tape on Danny Green's moves this year could be a vine clip tbh.