PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: News on on a potential Tiago Splitter offersheet

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
06-30-2013, 10:12 PM
San Antonio Spurs restricted free-agent center Tiago Splitter could command an offer sheet that averages $8.5 million to $9 million annually, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Portland Trail Blazers are expected to be a suitor for Splitter, league sources said. The Utah Jazz and Atlanta Hawks have salary-cap space, a need for a young center and general managers – Dennis Lindsey and Danny Ferry, respectively – who were Spurs front-office executives when Splitter came into the organization.

The Spurs will be in a strong position to match an offer sheet and keep Splitter, because they'll free of Stephen Jackson's $10 million salary and expect to re-sign Manu Ginobili at a lesser salary than the $14.1 million he made this season.
The baseline for a Splitter offer sheet will likely be the three-year, $25 million deal that Houston awarded center Omer Asik in free agency a year ago, sources told Y! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-free-agent-buzz--tony-allen-draws-interest-from-grizzlies--pacers--bucks--knicks-234954522.html

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Holy $&@%

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Don't resign. Too much. Spurs should not forget too soon that they got a bit of help along the way in getting to the Finals. Splitter is not worth 9 million against the elite teams. Let him walk.

BatManu20
06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Pass. $8.5 million per is too much for a guy who kills you against elite teams imo. You know the Spurs are matching any offer though. For better or worse.

benefactor
3/25 is fair for Splitter.

Ron Swanson
3/25? Yeesh.

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2013, 10:16 PM
You know the Spurs are gonna match at least 10 million.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Spur fan expecting a good big to sign for the MLE per par.

sananspursfan21
:greedy

SpursRock20
Too much for a guy that couldn't even find the floor in the Finals. Sorry Tiago. I liked how you ran the pick-and-roll and your solid defense, but see ya man.

manufan10
06-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Most people were expecting it to be in the $8m range which this would be. I think that's a fair deal for Tiago.

dallasmaverickslose
I like Tiago Splitter... But damn.

loveforthegame
Boy. Spurs are going to be paying for Splitter a long time. In more ways than one.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-30-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't know, he is a good defensive big and a nice pick and roll player...Spurs will go for it

SpursRock20
Nope, I expect the Spurs to use that money elsewhere and get a big that can potentially punish teams for going small. Millsap is the man for that kind of money.

manufan10
Too much for a guy that couldn't even find the floor in the Finals. Sorry Tiago. I liked how you ran the pick-and-roll and your solid defense, but see ya man.

It was just a bad matchup for him with Miami playing small ball. He was huge for the Spurs against Memphis, GS, and LA.

tesseractive
06-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Boy. Spurs are going to be paying for Splitter a long time. In more ways than one.
3 years beats the hell out of when guys like this used to get 6 year deals.

Texas_Ranger
06-30-2013, 10:20 PM
the problem is that there are not really a lot of quality bigs on the market. David West will probably sign with Indiana, Minnesota will match any offer for Pekovic, Al Jefferson will get more than 12M. We should know that Josh Smith and Dwight won't sign here, so the only guy that we could sign over Splitter is Paul Millsap. I wouldn't give Tiago over 8M a year, but the league bigs really suck this days so I don't know.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 10:21 PM
3 years beats the hell out of when guys like this used to get 6 year deals.

Yeah, but we were all hoping he might've at least given us a little discount...

tmtcsc
Portland just received Thomas Robinson from Houston. Are they still going to want Splitter ?

Mr.Bottomtooth
$8M was the line for me. I'd reluctantly agree to an $8.5M contract, but no more.

TE
As much criticism as NASF gives Splitter, what goes missing is the fact that we're better with Tiago than without. Against every other team not named the Heat, he's a deadly pick n roll player who also plays sound defense. We won't get better with the PF's and C's available via free agency.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Portland just received Thomas Robinson from Houston. Are they still going to want Splitter ?

Robinson is a 4, while Splitter is a 5. Rumors going around that Aldridge may be dealt as well. So yes, I would think so.

benefactor
:lol

Let him walk and let Duncan retire. You will be begging for him back when Parker is trying to run the pick and roll with slow footed ass Baynes.

manufan10

That's exactly what I was thinking.

SpursRock20
It was just a bad matchup for him with Miami playing small ball. He was huge for the Spurs against Memphis, GS, and LA.
It was the Finals. Although we had a marvelous run, winning the west means very little to me, sorry. If we find our way back into the Finals, chances are the Heat will be there. Are we just going to bench Splitter once again? An $8 million a year player needs to be on the court when it matters the most.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Nope, I expect the Spurs to use that money elsewhere and get a big that can potentially punish teams for going small. Millsap is the man for that kind of money.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Tiago might help his case by gaining some weight & getting stronger this offseason.

TE
06-30-2013, 10:25 PM
It was the Finals. Although we had a marvelous run, winning the west means very little to me, sorry. If we find our way back into the Finals, chances are the Heat will be there. Are we just going to bench Splitter once again? An $8 million a year player needs to be on the court when it matters the most.

Dude we were good enough to win this year. One rebound or one made free throw would've changed everything.

timtonymanu
Yeah let's just overpay for Paul Millsap instead. :lol

Texas_Ranger
Tiago Splitter averaged 3 rebounds per game in the playoffs. Tony Parker had more. Thats how soft this guy is.

manufan10

And he was a contributor as to why the Spurs made it to the Finals. He's also one of the reasons why the Spurs defense was so improved. It cannot be overlooked.

timtonymanu

Spoken like a true fickle fan.

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
http://www.playmakeronline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Tiago-Splitter-San-Antonio-Spurs-Miami-Heat-NBA-Finals-Game-4.jpg

:lol:lol:lol:lol

CitizenDwayne
06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
If he leaves, we'll miss his presence a lot more than some of you seem to think.

Keep him. No potential (realistic) replacement could do better.

manufan10
06-30-2013, 10:27 PM
I bet SpursRock20 was one of the people that was bitching because Splitter wasn't starting, and now is bitching because he doesn't want him to return.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Dude we were good enough to win this year. One rebound or one made free throw would've changed everything.

I think Tiago not playing like crap would've made a lot of difference in the finals. Everyone wants to bash Manu for his poor play but honestly Tiago was a big letdown. He should've bullied the Miami bigs. I love Tiago and hope he stays, but he's GOT to improve his presence around the rim.

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Spoken like a true fickle fan.
Fickle? That game 6 loss still hurts just as much as it did that day. Nothing has changed. What I saw out of Splitter in the Finals was plain awful. He shrunk when it mattered the most. Whether we won or lost that series, I felt Splitter needed to be let go if was going to get this kind of money (which I expected).

ElNono
06-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Srs question, if it gets to that kind of money, wouldn't the Spurs be better served by going after Asik? At least it would be one less year of commitment for the same kind of money...

Ditty
06-30-2013, 10:30 PM
I was hoping for more of a 3 years/21million, but I think 3 years/ 25 million isn't too bad. Like I mentioned in the FA thread that Tiago played great in the against the Gasol brothers & Randolph. Just glad it isn't that $10 million a year some people here wanted to give him even if he had a great finals & helped us win. We are going full tank mode in two years hopefully, and Tiago could be a nice expiring contract trade piece if Duncan decides to retire at the end of 2015 season.

SpursRock20
I think Tiago not playing like crap would've made a lot of difference in the finals. Everyone wants to bash Manu for his poor play but honestly Tiago was a big letdown. He should've bullied the Miami bigs. I love Tiago and hope he stays, but he's GOT to improve his presence around the rim.
This. Dude needs to make some strides on this offensive end. The only problem is that I don't see him improving too much. But we'll see.

timtonymanu

Agreed. Tiago deserved a lot of criticism for that NBA finals.

Still, the Spurs would take a step back if Splitter doesn't return. Yet some people on here think he's easily replaceable. :lol

TD 21

Yeah, I don't understand the surprise or, in some cases, outrage. If anything, I'd actually be pleased if he get's an offer sheet for 3/$25M, as opposed to $30M or close to it.

The Spurs would not only match 3/$25M in a heartbeat, but they may actually propose it themselves.

tesseractive
Yeah, but we were all hoping he might've at least given us a little discount...
Nothing's been signed yet. For all we know, he's planning to resign and his agent is just floating numbers as a negotiating tactic.

playblair
06-30-2013, 10:31 PM
let splitter sign elsewhere ............. re-sign blair 4 years................... blair = better rebounder/finisher/PNR player...........................

tesseractive
06-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Srs question, if it gets to that kind of money, wouldn't the Spurs be better served by going after Asik? At least it would be one less year of commitment for the same kind of money...
What would we have to give up to get him? The Rockets wouldn't want Tiago as well as Dwight, right?

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2013, 10:32 PM
let him walk ............. re-sign blair 4 years................... blair = better rebounder/finisher/PNR player...........................
Playnando is that u?

tim_duncan_fan
06-30-2013, 10:33 PM

You know Millsap is a 3, right? He's 6'8. He borderlines as a four in extreme smallball. Borderlines.

We need to mercilessly destroy whatever team is running up the bill on Splitter the same way we humiliated Boston for years.

SpursRock20
I bet SpursRock20 was one of the people that was bitching because Splitter wasn't starting, and now is bitching because he doesn't want him to return.
I don't want him to return for that kind of money. Look I know he is a very solid piece. But I believe the Heat are a lock to be in the Finals again next year. If we somehow make it, marching out the same starting 5 is not going to be good enough. Splitter is just not the man against the Heat.

Josepatches_
Tiago was one of the keys why we returned to the Finals. He was awful in the Finals but played well vs Lakers and Grizzlies.

I never expected less than $7-8 million per year.

manufan10
What would we have to give up to get him? The Rockets wouldn't want Tiago as well as Dwight, right?

Asik was released, iirc.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 10:34 PM
This new group of greys are a bunch of emotional girls that still cry themselves to sleep over the Finals. Thankfully the same people that helped get the Spurs to the Finals last season will be running the team this year too.

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2013, 10:34 PM
$7 million is solid for TS.

weebo
06-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Splitter will be a Spur next season. No worries.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Asik was released, iirc.

Whats the info on Asik? Don't really know much about the guy tbh

timtonymanu
06-30-2013, 10:36 PM
I don't want him to return for that kind of money. Look I know he is a very solid piece. But I believe the Heat are a lock to be in the Finals again next year. If we somehow make it, marching out the same starting 5 is not going to be good enough. Splitter is just not the man against the Heat.

Honestly if Pop played Diaw much more, this wouldn't be a problem. The Spurs not only need to play against the Heat. They need to play against the Dwight Howards, the Gasols, the Randolphs. (players that Tiago matches up well with). Duncan is going to need help against these guys and Splitter is the best option.

tesseractive
Asik was released, iirc.
He has two years left on a three year deal. The Rockets are just making him available by trade.

benefactor
Fickle? That game 6 loss still hurts just as much as it did that day. Nothing has changed. What I saw out of Splitter in the Finals was plain awful. He shrunk when it mattered the most. Whether we won or lost that series, I felt Splitter needed to be let go if was going to get this kind of money (which I expected).
:cry

SpursRock20
You know Millsap is a 3, right? He's 6'8. He borderlines as a four in extreme smallball. Borderlines.

We need to mercilessly destroy whatever team is running up the bill on Splitter the same way we humiliated Boston for years.
So Blair is a SG because he is 6'6 right?

Millsap plays big, and plays the 4, that's why I mentioned him.

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I actually like our chances if we go back to the finals against the heat. Fluke victory for the heat in game 6 and a fluke win in game 7 with James and battier nearly going perfect from 3. Kawhi will b a much better player (scary) as would Tiago

ElNono

I think he's owed $5m next season? I think Houston is shopping him, so perhaps something like Bonner + picks?

manufan10
He has two years left on a three year deal. The Rockets are just making him available by trade.

Yeah, that was my bad. It was Brooks/Delfino that was released.

BatManu20
06-30-2013, 10:40 PM
All the top-tier FA bigs are signing elsewhere for more money. I really don't see what choice the Spurs have but to overpay for Charmin unfortunately.

SpursRock20
This new group of greys are a bunch of emotional girls that still cry themselves to sleep over the Finals. Thankfully the same people that helped get the Spurs to the Finals last season will be running the team this year too.
I've been here all season, and didn't make one emotional post during the whole Finals run. I bleed silver and black and have never jumped off their wagon. Didn't know that being a Splitter lover was synonymous with being a Spurs fan. I like the dude, but 9 million is too much.

manufan10

Keepin' it real
The main concern for me is that's a lot of money for someone who is so injury-prone.

Kindergarten Cop
Asik was released, iirc.

Houston is looking to possibly trade him. He would bring in a lot of value. Why would they release him?

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2013, 10:41 PM
The main concern for me is that's a lot of money for someone who is so injury-prone.
81 games says hi.

palangi
06-30-2013, 10:42 PM
maybe they plan on using robinson in a sign and trade for splitter?

Chinook
I think he's owed $5m next season? I think Houston is shopping him, so perhaps something like Bonner + picks?

While he is owed $5.3 Million, he counts for $8.3 Million. So if the Spurs stay over the cap, they have to offer more than that.

manufan10
Houston is looking to possibly trade him. He would bring in a lot of value. Why would they release him?

tesseractive
06-30-2013, 10:43 PM
If that deal's on the table, we should take it without a second thought. That would leave us with plenty of cap to use to fill out our bench. :tu

SpursRock20
I actually like our chances if we go back to the finals against the heat. Fluke victory for the heat in game 6 and a fluke win in game 7 with James and battier nearly going perfect from 3. Kawhi will b a much better player (scary) as would Tiago
I hope so too man. I just hope that Tiago can improve in finishing around the basket while keeping the ball above his waste. Some of those turnovers really hurt us.

RD2191
How good was Splitter defensively without Duncan next to him? Thank you and good day.

ElNono
While he is owed $5.3 Million, he counts for $8.3 Million. So if the Spurs stay over the cap, they have to offer more than that.

Bonner + DeColo + picks?

tesseractive
06-30-2013, 10:44 PM
If we renounce Splitter, we wouldn't have any reason to stay over the cap, would we?

Baam
Tiago Splitter averaged 3 rebounds per game in the playoffs. Tony Parker had more. Thats how soft this guy is.

This please God no don't do it RC.

Splitter is not worth 2 Boris Diaw and a half. No way in Hell, not in this universe.

Juggity
It's a lot, but Splitter is probably worth that much to the spurs' title hopes. He's a big reason why the spurs made it out of the west this year.

Obviously, if you can pick up someone like Asik, you let splitter go. But only if you can get a defensive 7 footer. We aren't going to challenge for a damn title in 2014 with rookie Baynes or Dejuan fucking blair starting at center.

siraulo23
06-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Hmm real tough, milsap the only realistic alternative correct?

Splitter's skillset fit this team so well although obviously he's got flaws and is pretty soft for a big man but the spurs would definitely miss him if they decide to go another direction

If you go with milsap, obviously toughness and rebounding and an improved mid range j is what he can offer to this team, he's undersized but I'd love to have him

Baam
06-30-2013, 10:47 PM
It's a lot, but Splitter is probably worth that much to the spurs' title hopes. He's a big reason why the spurs made it out of the west this year.

Obviously, if you can pick up someone like Asik, you let splitter go. But only if you can get a defensive 7 footer. We aren't going to challenge for a damn title in 2014 with rookie Baynes or Dejuan fucking blair starting at center.

Not really he only played a full series.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I've been here all season, and didn't make one emotional post during the whole Finals run. I bleed silver and black and have never jumped off their wagon. Didn't know that being a Splitter lover was synonymous with being a Spurs fan. I like the dude, but 9 million is too much.
http://s3.favim.com/orig/44/shut-up-Favim.com-369715.gif

spurraider21
06-30-2013, 10:48 PM
i'll take Splitter over Millsap

Chinook
06-30-2013, 10:48 PM
The Blazers still have enough under the cap to offer a competitive offer for Splitter, but they can no longer give a huge deal like they gave to Hibbert, at least in terms of starting salary. They'd have to relieve some salary to do so. If they really want Splitter, they'd probably agree to a sign-and-trade, as it would save them on money and potentially assets. Robinson could be part of such as deal, or if it's in the context of a larger Aldridge trade, the Spurs could get some of the haul Portland gets for LA.

As far as the offer, I don't know why people are upset. That's literally $507k more than he's already counting against the cap. It shouldn't affect the team's efforts to add other free players this season, and the team is going to be over the cap again next season anyway. So who cares? It's a fair deal.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Maybe we can do a S&T for LeBron and have him play the 4?

Robz4000
06-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Sounds about right tbh

tmtcsc
06-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Splitter showed he has the capacity to improve his game. He definitely did a much better job from the FT line this year. He needs some strength and conditioning work as well as some fundamental work on rebounding and boxing out. If we can keep him, I think we should.

I thought he did a great job as did Bonner in the LA and Memphis series but he came up pitifully short in the Finals. It was embarrassing how weak he was. That just can't happen again. If we had better options, I'd say explore them, but I don't think we do.

MeloHype
06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Maybe we can do a S&T for LeBron and have him play the 4?
WTF

Splitter >>>>>>> Lebum; and it ain't even close

Chinook
06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
If we renounce Splitter, we wouldn't have any reason to stay over the cap, would we?

No. Renouncing Splitter saves the team $2.5 Million in salary, but they'd lose the right to match ANY offer Splitter gets. They'd have to stay under the cap matching at that point. If the Spurs are over the cap, they can't match any offer that starts at more than his QO. They couldn't even sign-and-trade him effectively.

Chinook
06-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Bonner + DeColo + picks?

That would work financially. I don't know why the Rockets would go for it, though.

T Park
06-30-2013, 10:52 PM
I'd love to hear who would be a better replacement for the same money.

I swear if someone says Baynes...

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Sign it. First, what's the alternative? Spurs fan acts like there are other reasonable options.

Second, Splitter is a quality starting 5 in the NBA. Spurs fan holds him to dominant expectations but wants to pay him the MLE.

Last, the Spurs are trying to keep the window open one more season. I could care less about 2015.

dallasmaverickslose
WTF

Splitter >>>>>>> Lebum; and it ain't even close

Well this would be assuming that we'd also get Bosh Wade and Allen as well, plus Miami's first rounders for the next 5 years. I think that's pretty fair tbh

BatManu20
Splitter's not going anywhere. Spurs will match anything thrown at him.

manufan10

Paul Milsap has been the only suggestion thus far.

Baam

Baynes is already better, he's not a pussy and has an actual jumper...

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Splitter's not going anywhere. Spurs will match anything thrown at him.

Keepin' it real
06-30-2013, 10:54 PM
81 games says hi.

Hello.

http://s.mcstatic.com/thumb/8287297/22112868/4/flash_player/0/1/notting_hill_1999_spikes_suggestion.jpg?v=4

FromWayDowntown
06-30-2013, 10:55 PM
SpursTalk at the end of 2012 West Finals: "Why didn't Splitter play more? If he had played more, Spurs win. Dumb Pop."

SpursTalk at the end of 2013 NBA Finals: "Splitter sucks. He's the reason the Spurs lost the title. Don't pay that guy his market value. Dumb Pop."

Baam
Sign it. First, what's the alternative? Spurs fan acts like there are other reasonable options.

Second, Splitter is a quality starting 5 in the NBA. Spurs fan holds him to dominant expectations but wants to pay him the MLE.

Last, the Spurs are trying to keep the window open one more season. I could care less about 2015.

He's a 4, not sure how you can mistake that guy for a center... 3 rebounds per game, softer than Bargnani...

Chinook

He did in Europe. It hasn't really come stateside yet. Sounds familiar...

ElNono
That would work financially. I don't know why the Rockets would go for it, though.

Bonner expiring, DeColo on a rookie deal (cheap to waive if they want to), picks are picks?

RD2191
06-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Baynes:hat

benefactor

Marcus with the voice of reason goods.

johnpaulwall21
The regular season contribution will mean jack shit if he disappears in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.

Marcus Bryant
Baynes? Right, the people's champ.

timtonymanu
06-30-2013, 10:57 PM

And as expected, the dumbass greys answered your question. :lol

tmtcsc
Folks, The Whopper aint walking through that door....

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2010/05/13/AP790921048%5B1%5D_t607.jpg

manufan10
:lol Baynes hasn't shown anything on an NBA level, at a consistent stretch, that he's ready for the starting spot.

Chinook
06-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Bonner expiring, DeColo on a rookie deal (cheap to waive if they want to), picks are picks?

I think they'd like De Colo, but I imagine they'll try to get something really good for Asik. Like Josh Smith, LaMarcus Aldridge good for him (not by himself, but as the headliner of a package). They'll at least want cap space to try to sign another free agent. If the Spurs S&T Splitter and get a trade exception in return, then I could see a deal being struck.

Keepin' it real

http://funnypicturesplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/funny-fake-laugh.jpg

benefactor
Baam with his usual drooling, pulling shit out of his adult diaper and smearing it on the wall bads.

timtonymanu
:lol Baynes hasn't shown anything on an NBA level, at a consistent stretch, that he's ready for the starting spot.

Spur fan will easily turn on him like they have with Splitter if he doesn't play to their expectations.

TE
06-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Lolol people hyping up Baynes up to be something more than a bruiser white stiff.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 10:59 PM
SpursTalk at the end of 2012 West Finals: "Why didn't Splitter play more? If he had played more, Spurs win. Dumb Pop."

SpursTalk at the end of 2013 NBA Finals: "Splitter sucks. He's the reason the Spurs lost the title. Don't pay that guy his market value. Dumb Pop."

Splitter played an important role in us getting to the finals. I want him back; I like the guy and its looking more and more like he's better than any FA option out there.

My problem with Tiago is that he was a huge disappointment in the finals. Like I said earlier, he should have dominated the Miami bigs. Or at least, played at a similar level as he did in previous series. He's gotta improve his interior game if he wants to prove that he's worthy of the big money he's asking for.

Baam
06-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Only time they have so much flexibility in the Duncan era and they throw everything at scruby Splitter...

Chinook
Honestly, Splitter's probably a top-10 center already. He's at least top-15. That's worth seven figures a year, and especially worth an Asik deal.

Kindergarten Cop

Honest mistake. :toast

Chinook
06-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Baam with his usual drooling, pulling shit out of his adult diaper and smearing it on the wall bads.

He is to Splitter as Paranoid Pop was to Green.

HemisfairArena
If Splitter gets more than 6 mil/yr and Manu gets more than 4 mil/yr...our front office has done an epic fail.

ElNono
I think they'd like De Colo, but I imagine they'll try to get something really good for Asik. Like Josh Smith, LaMarcus Aldridge good for him (not by himself, but as the headliner of a package). They'll at least want cap space to try to sign another free agent. If the Spurs S&T Splitter and get a trade exception in return, then I could see a deal being struck.

I was reading they're shopping Asik and Lin because they want to shred most of those salaries... apparently the Rocket's plan is to surround Harden, Parsons and DH with cheap vets... I can actually see Bonner being useful for a team with DH inside, tbh...

RD2191
Bet any of you faggots Baynes will put up better numbers than Splitter this coming season.

Marcus Bryant

:tu

SpursDynasty21
06-30-2013, 11:02 PM
The Spurs should let Splitter go. Hopefully, take advantage of the extra cap space.

Baam
06-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Bet any of you faggots Baynes will put up better numbers than Splitter this coming season.

:toast

RD2191
06-30-2013, 11:03 PM
I saw an overweight and out of shape Diaw do more than Splitter in the finals.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 11:04 PM
I was reading they're shopping Asik and Lin because they want to shred most of those salaries... apparently the Rocket's plan is to surround Harden, Parsons and DH with cheap vets... I can actually see Bonner being useful for a team with DH inside, tbh...

The "Red Rocket" would be in his natural habitat in Houston :rollin

tesseractive
06-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Lolol people hyping up Baynes up to be something more than a bruiser white stiff.
I think he has real potential to be a poor man's Scott Pollard. :tu

TE
06-30-2013, 11:05 PM

This place would explode if Bonner played for another team and contributed to a Spurs playoff exit.

dallasmaverickslose
The Spurs should let Splitter go. Hopefully, take advantage of the extra cap space.

And sign who, exactly? This isn't exactly the greatest FA selection in NBA history.

Marcus Bryant

Cap space does not mean jack shit. Figure it out Spurs fan.

TE
I think he has real potential to be a poor man's Scott Pollard. :tu

Yep

coyotes_geek
06-30-2013, 11:06 PM

:lmao

Uh, no.

Baam
Lol at people being amazed at Splitter FT improvement, the guys choked in 2012, he had a similar regular season %

ElNono
MB going HAM on these fools... :tu

Keepin' it real
06-30-2013, 11:07 PM

http://i.qkme.me/3ra792.jpg

Chinook
06-30-2013, 11:07 PM

I could see it, too. Howard needs a stretch-four with him at all times to be his best.

I think they're shopping Lin and Asik differently. Lin doesn't have much value, and they'd be find just getting something useful for him, which is why they're trying for Calderon. Asik is a real gem, though. They know he can fetch something really nice. So long as they don't need the cap space for anything, I think they'll hold onto him. At worst, he's the best backup five in the league.

Splits
06-30-2013, 11:08 PM
What do the Spurs need more: an $8m big and bring back essentially the same team, or grab someone like Blatche for $1m a year and use the cap space to go after an FA like Jarret Jack who can create his own and run backup point? Manu's on the decline and we were exposed in the Finals by not having anybody besides Parker on the perimeter who can run the offense. Obviously, Splitter to Blatche is a downgrade, but is it that much of a drop off when we also have Diaw to plug in at the 4 if we add a playmaker?

SpurPadre
06-30-2013, 11:09 PM

Yeah, but the Heat can say DG's three point binge was a fluke after exposing his flaws in Games 6 and 7. Look, we simply can't stand pat and hope TD and Manu find the fountain of youth for another year but Splitter isn't the problem. He's important in key matchups against certain elite teams out West, so keeping him is a priority. 3/25 is a fair deal and he would've gone for more had he shown up in the Finals so we should consider it a kind of discount. Plus, we should still have money left over to get another solid contributor.

manufan10
06-30-2013, 11:09 PM

CGD
06-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Folks are ridiculous to suggest 25/3 isn't a fair price for a big like Tiago. I was afraid of 30/3. Pay the man!

HemisfairArena
06-30-2013, 11:10 PM
8-10 mil for a center in his prime only averaging 10 and 6. LMAO!!!!! I'll pass.

SpursDynasty21
06-30-2013, 11:11 PM
And sign who, exactly? This isn't exactly the greatest FA selection in NBA history.

There are some good free agents available. I'm not sure if Splitter will ever get better than he is now. Regardless, I'd let him walk. That's just my opinion.

tesseractive
06-30-2013, 11:11 PM
What do the Spurs need more: an $8m big and bring back essentially the same team, or grab someone like Blatche for $1m a year and use the cap space to go after an FA like Jarret Jack who can create his own and run backup point? Manu's on the decline and we were exposed in the Finals by not having anybody besides Parker on the perimeter who can run the offense. Obviously, Splitter to Blatche is a downgrade, but is it that much of a drop off when we also have Diaw to plug in at the 4 if we add a playmaker?
I wouldn't want Blatche on this team if he paid us $1M per year.

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Blatch actually looked pretty decent for the Nets last season.

Spursfanfromafar
06-30-2013, 11:15 PM
25 million for 3 years will absolutely be a below-market price for a 7 footer who was the second best big in a team, a good defender, a P&R roll expert and a reliable player who only played one bad series - that too the finals - where he was overmatched because of the other team going small.

Players like Asik, Monkeyball Jordan!, Bargnani, Tyrus Thomas, and so on have been paid much much more for offering far less or being more flawed.

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Ugh, this is one of those catch 22 deals, He's hit his ceiling and will not get any better but will the Spurs go out and find someone to fill in the spot because San Antonio is not an attractive team? Probably not. So we can buy this guy for 3 years and expect crappy numbers, inflated because he gets to start games next to Duncan. The only reasoning would be that he's going to develop a post game by a miracle during the off season, learn not to shoot that shitty hook, learn to rebound when it matters and put up offense when he's not in there with Duncan.

Everyone is looking at him like he's great in the pick n roll and to a certain point he is, if he catches the ball 3 feet from the basket and Manu is in the game wit him because Parker will not pass the ball to him regularly, nope his pick man is Duncan. Unless Tim decides to play for 3 more years and is just as productive this is a horrible signing because we're obligated to pay him and once Tim starts to decline his crappy presence will be apparent and nobody will want to touch him.. Sure, people were clamoring for him in years before because we didn't know what he could do, and now we do. We know exactly that he's shit when he gets stopped short of the rim, has no offense whatsoever unless he's 3 feet from the basket and is slow and can't rebound consistently.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Catch what? Hopefully it isn't contagious. Next year is the last shot. Sign it and move on.

HemisfairArena
06-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Ugh, this is one of those catch 22 deals, He's hit his ceiling and will not get any better but will the Spurs go out and find someone to fill in the spot because San Antonio is not an attractive team? Probably not. So we can buy this guy for 3 years and expect crappy numbers, inflated because he gets to start games next to Duncan. The only reasoning would be that he's going to develop a post game by a miracle during the off season, learn not to shoot that shitty hook, learn to rebound when it matters and put up offense when he's not in there with Duncan.

Everyone is looking at him like he's great in the pick n roll and to a certain point he is, if he catches the ball 3 feet from the basket and Manu is in the game wit him because Parker will not pass the ball to him regularly, nope his pick man is Duncan. Unless Tim decides to play for 3 more years and is just as productive this is a horrible signing because we're obligated to pay him and once Tim starts to decline his crappy presence will be apparent and nobody will want to touch him.. Sure, people were clamoring for him in years before because we didn't know what he could do, and now we do. We know exactly that he's shit when he gets stopped short of the rim, has no offense whatsoever unless he's 3 feet from the basket and is slow and can't rebound consistently.

Say what!?!....a Spurs fan that gets it? This is one of the best posts of the last year. Right on the mark.

BatManu20
06-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Asik > Splitter if there's any real possibility of trading for him.

chrhawk
06-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Three years/$25 million for Tiago, where do I sign up?

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Catch what? Hopefully it isn't contagious. Next year is the last shot. Sign it and move on.
If Millsap can be had for nearly the same price, don't you think the Spurs should go for it?

Nathan89
06-30-2013, 11:22 PM

I don't remember people saying this. He couldn't even score on Fisher. Just doesn't make any sense.

ducks
06-30-2013, 11:23 PM
If Millsap can be had for nearly the same price, don't you think the Spurs should go for it?

it will take a year for millsap to develop chemistry with tp and duncan

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Who are the Spurs supposed to sign this summer if not Splitter? If you say Howard timvp will excommunicate you.

Sean Cagney
06-30-2013, 11:24 PM
8-10 mil for a center in his prime only averaging 10 and 6. LMAO!!!!! I'll pass.

Unfortunately in this day and age of shitty big men thats what you get now. This is reality.

Nathan89
That's a lot of money for 6.1pts and 3.1rbs in the playoffs.

Keepin' it real
Say what!?!....a Spurs fan that gets it? This is one of the best posts of the last year. Right on the mark.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAX6OpAOfQBnzglwMXw32l4eKOn1T3-cRV0_CINq0DkjkaCrHE

Marcus Bryant

Ifs and buts sweetheart.

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2013, 11:25 PM

but he's a pick and roll expert, if he's 3 feet from the basket and a guard doesn't come over to block him.

Sean Cagney

Oh yeah, but my post above says it all! This is the day and age we are in of shitty big men.

Splits
Blatch actually looked pretty decent for the Nets last season.

PER of 21 last year. He's not a starter on this team but how much of a dropoff is Diaw starting with Blatche coming in as 3rd big instead of Splitter starting and Diaw as 3rd big? He's an UFA and made under $1m last year, so he could be gotten on the cheap and give us room to improve elsewhere.

Russ
06-30-2013, 11:26 PM
This place would explode if Bonner played for another team and contributed to a Spurs playoff exit.

Sean Bonnier.

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2013, 11:27 PM
PER of 21 last year. He's not a starter on this team but how much of a dropoff is Diaw starting with Blatche coming in as 3rd big instead of Splitter starting and Diaw as 3rd big? He's an UFA and made under $1m last year, so he could be gotten on the cheap and give us room to improve elsewhere.

But it'll take a year to get chemistry and learn the system

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Ifs and buts sweetheart.
Just a simple question, didn't need a douchey reply.

Just wanted to see your take. Say the Spurs have a meeting with Millsap and he says he will commit to the Spurs for around 3/25, do the Spurs choose Millsap over Splitter?

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2013, 11:29 PM

Just wanted to see your take. Say the Spurs have a meeting with Millsap and he says he will commit to the Spurs for around 3/25, do the Spurs choose Millsap over Splitter?

Nope, Spurs are committed to Tiago, Pop's already broken him in and doesn't want to have to start all over with a vet.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2013, 11:30 PM
What matter is if the Spurs have a viable alternative. They dont need to have a person to do what Splitter does waiting to be signed but they do have to have a viable alternative to make the team better. Splitter should not be a lock to be resigned for that amount of money - especially in an NBA that moves away from 7 footers. Yeah, he helps against some teams but at the same time dude can't post up Derek fucking Fisher.

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2013, 11:30 PM

Millsap's not a 5. He's an undersized 4. While I'd like to see him on our team, he's not a replacement for Splitter.

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Millsap's not a 5. He's an undersized 4. While I'd like to see him on our team, he's not a replacement for Splitter.
What does that matter? Duncan has been a Center for awhile now. Millsap can be our 4.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2013, 11:31 PM

Who was the last big name non-Spur in the last season free agent who signed with the Spurs for $25MM or more?

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2013, 11:34 PM
What does that matter? Duncan has been a Center for awhile now. Millsap can be our 4.

We can't play small ball against every team in the league.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Who was the last big name non-Spur in the last season free agent who signed with the Spurs for $25MM or more?
shaqdunksondudley.gif

Nathan89
06-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Oh yeah, but my post above says it all! This is the day and age we are in of shitty big men.

Then why are we paying this guy whose main quality is defense?

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 11:37 PM
We can't play small ball against every team in the league.
You act as if 6'8 is really short for a PF. The guy plays big anyway.

Nathan89
06-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Two best teams in the league Miami and Thunder. Splitter serves little purpose against either.

I'm prepared to lose more regular season games.

ducks
06-30-2013, 11:38 PM
I offer 5 for 35 million with his option after 3 to opt out
or more with incentives 2 million bonus if he makes allstar team

T Park
06-30-2013, 11:39 PM

Kill yourself

coyotes_geek

I wouldn't. Milsap's a nice player and all, but he's an undersized PF and the Spurs don't need one of those. They do need a second guy 6-10+ who can guard bigs. That's Splitter.

Spursfanfromafar
If it is between Millsap and Splitter, Splitter is a no-brainer. An aging Duncan needs backup and considering that Timmy might retire this year, we would need a starting C who understands the system and is relatively cheap in a market that has very few centers and where they are easily over-priced. On the other hand, getting an undersized PF in this market is relatively easy.

Resigning Splitter for 25M for 3 years .. or even 27 million for 3 years is a great great option that the Spurs must exercise.

T Park
Paul Milsap has been the only suggestion thus far.

Will make more than Splitter, next.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Have the Spurs ever signed away a free agent from another team for more than 2 cents? I think they once signed Larry Stewart to an offer sheet.

SpursRock20
06-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Spurs usually don't have the luxury to offer free agents that much. All I'm saying is that Millsap should definitely be considered. He might also ease the transition of the Spurs in the post-Duncan era a bit better than Splitter.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 11:41 PM
You act as if 6'8 is really short for a PF. The guy plays big anyway.
Try 6'6.25.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-Millsap-299/

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Spurs usually don't have the luxury to offer free agents that much. All I'm saying is that Millsap should definitely be considered. He might also ease the transition of the Spurs in the post-Duncan era a bit better than Splitter.

Post Duncan era? Nah, that'll never happen. According to Pop and RC they're going to fit him with Robotic implants so he can play well into his 50's. Status Quo guys

Splits
Anyone have an idea what a J.J. Hickson offer sheet would look like? He's an UFA and made $4m last year.

ElNono
Try 6'6.25.

sharp elbows too, pass...

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2013, 11:44 PM

You're out of your damn mind. The Spurs have had plenty of cap space over the last decade and not once have they signed anyone away from another team.

tesseractive
06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Have the Spurs ever signed away a free agent from another team for more than 2 cents? I think they once signed Larry Stewart to an offer sheet.
Brent Barry?

ElNono
06-30-2013, 11:47 PM
IIRC, Jason Kidd back in 2003 was the last time they offered a max deal to a FA... didn't pan out

Nathan89
06-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Hope he tears an ACL right before he signs the contract.

AFBlue
06-30-2013, 11:49 PM
This is not news. Asik's deal has been Splitter's "floor" since the moment it was signed. No doubt the Spurs are prepared for it and have a plan.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Try 6'6.25.

Thats the only source on the Internet that says that...

benefactor
06-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Their measurements come straight from the combine, dumbass.

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2013, 11:53 PM

draftexpress is legit when it comes to true measurements.

dallasmaverickslose
06-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Their measurements come straight from the combine, dumbass.

Players grow.

benefactor
06-30-2013, 11:56 PM

On that hilarious note I'm going to bed. Will catch up on news in the morning.

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Players grow.

... and players lie about their height and weight all the time.

tesseractive
06-30-2013, 11:59 PM
It's not even lying by NBA standards. He's 6' 7 1/4" or 6' 7 1/2" in shoes, round up to 6' 8" -- this is just how guys get listed.

UZER
07-01-2013, 12:00 AM

No they don't.

Btw my cock is 14" long.

jbspurs
07-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Exactly! Spurs would've not made it to finals without him.

jestersmash
07-01-2013, 12:07 AM
I think some here are perhaps unfairly assessing Splitter based on his largely ineffective performance against Miami. He had a poor Finals, there's no question about it, but that doesn't negate what he's done in other series or during the regular season (yeah, regular season wins do matter a little at least).

His lateral movement on defense has always been above average, even if he has some very glaring offensive shortcomings. I think 3/25 is quite reasonable for a guy like him, assuming he continues to work on and refine his offensive game (which I presume he will).

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2013, 12:08 AM
It's not even lying by NBA standards. He's 6' 7 1/4" or 6' 7 1/2" in shoes, round up to 6' 8" -- this is just how guys get listed.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but it is common knowledge that NBA players (and NFL players) lie about this kind of thing all the time. Kevin Love is listed at 6'10" when he's not even 6'8". Shaq was listed at 325 lbs for the longest time when it came out that he was actually closer to 375.

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Exactly! Spurs would've not made it to finals without him.

Yup, without his 6 points a game and 3 rebounds we'd have been swept by LA or Memphis.

Juggity
07-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Not really he only played a full series.

Do you remember what happened the last time the Spurs faced Memphis in the playoffs with Splitter playing spot minutes and scrubs starting at center?

There's a reason that didn't happen in 2013.

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Do you remember what happened the last time the Spurs faced Memphis in the playoffs with Splitter playing spot minutes and scrubs starting at center?

There's a reason that didn't happen in 2013.

A lot of crap also occurred in the Memphis series in 2011..

Nathan89
Hoping one of the other teams throw a bullshit contract and Spurs let him walk. I think the Spurs can put together a team with players who can play in the playoffs with this money.

jestersmash
Splitter may very well never be useful against a team like Miami, but like Juggity referenced, he's proven to be immensely valuable against other elite teams in the league.

spursince#99
This please God no don't do it RC.

Splitter is not worth 2 Boris Diaw and a half. No way in Hell, not in this universe.

Stop trying to be funny you immature piece of shit. Posters like you are ruining this damn forum.

OrEmuN
07-01-2013, 12:17 AM

If Millsap says that, I will sign him and Splitter at 3/25 and convince Manu to take a severe paycut. As mentioned by others, Millisap is a 4. If we have a big man rotation of Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Millsap, it will be pretty awesome.

Realistically, Millsap earns 8.6 million in 2013. It is highly unlikely that he will take a similar pay as he will command a higher amount in the market.

Baam
07-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Splitter may very well never be useful against a team like Miami, but like Juggity referenced, he's proven to be immensely valuable against other elite teams in the league.

He was also the worst player against the Lakers as well despite them playing big.

Das Texan
07-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Sounds like a fair market value to me.

Have no choice, unless you are going to be able to find someone that fits in better with the system, and I'm not sure that exists, unless you use Tiago as a sign and trade with someone I guess.

RD2191
07-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Stop trying to be funny you immature piece of shit. Posters like you are ruining this damn forum.
So calling someone a piece of shit is real mature? LOL

jbspurs
07-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Yup, without his 6 points a game and 3 rebounds we'd have been swept by LA or Memphis.

Seems like you just looked at stats and not watch the game itself.

Russo21
07-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Sad world we live in when a piece of shit like Tiago gets 25 million over 3 years for sucking at basketball and scrubs like me live on 50k a year. :ihit

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Sad world we live in when a piece of shit like Tiago gets 25 million over 3 years for sucking at basketball and scrubs like me live on 50k a year. :ihit

We've established what you are, now we are discussing the price.

Chinook
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but it is common knowledge that NBA players (and NFL players) lie about this kind of thing all the time. Kevin Love is listed at 6'10" when he's not even 6'8". Shaq was listed at 325 lbs for the longest time when it came out that he was actually closer to 375.

It's more that teams round up height and are slow to change weight-listings if the player gains fat. As far as what tesseractive is saying, he's right. Combine numbers are pretty accurate, but the NBA lists heights with shoes, and that adds an inch or two. So if Millsap were 6-6 at the combine without shoes, it's very possible that he'd be conventionally listed as 6-8 in the pros. In Europe he'd be listed at about two meters (his without-shoe height). Cultural difference.

Sean Cagney
Then why are we paying this guy whose main quality is defense?

Little options outside of him?

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:25 AM

No, I watched.. I saw Parker, Duncan and Kawhi carry this team for the most part and Danny Green show up and Neal in spots.. The Memphis series was his best series but he wasn't a game changer

jestersmash
07-01-2013, 12:26 AM
He was also the worst player against the Lakers as well despite them playing big.

I'll grant you that but as others have mentioned - what's the alternative? What are we forsaking by paying Splitter $8M/year? It's not like San Antonio's been a hip hotspot for high caliber free agents in the past.

spursince#99
07-01-2013, 12:27 AM
So calling someone a piece of shit is real mature? LOL

Dude honestly, I hate coming on this forum willing to gain informative insight on my favorite team as well as sharing insight that I believe should be discussed. Every time their is a disagreement on this forum, many posters result in tactics that doesn't even pertain to the topic at hand, and it's annoying to the point that it's almost unbearable.

jestersmash
07-01-2013, 12:27 AM

Hot damn do you really have > 1 million posts? Impressive!

Baam
07-01-2013, 12:28 AM
I'll grant you that but as others have mentioned - what's the alternative? What are we forsaking by paying Splitter $8M/year? It's not like San Antonio's been a hip hotspot for high caliber free agents in the past.

Oh I agree, and the fact that it's 3 years makes it kind of ok but I can't get excited for it is all.

elemento
07-01-2013, 12:28 AM
For the record, Millsap turned down an extension from Utah that would have paid him 25m for the next 3 years. So, I think he might want more than that in the FA.

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:29 AM
For the record, Millsap turned down an extension from Utah that would have paid him 25m for the next 3 years. So, I think he might want more than that in the FA.

Or to win

Chinook
07-01-2013, 12:29 AM

Churchill'd.

Splits
07-01-2013, 12:32 AM

We've got Diaw, so if we can add a perimeter player who can backup TP and create his own shot (Jarrett Jack) isn't it worth downgrading from Splitter to a scrub (Blatche, Birdman, KMart) or making a run at a slight downgrade in JJ Hickson? Just because we don't pay Splitter $8-9m a year doesn't mean we have to find another big at that number. There are plenty of alternatives. We need another trusted ball handler and guy who can create. Manu's not up for the job anymore.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2013, 12:32 AM
It's more that teams round up height and are slow to change weight-listings if the player gains fat. As far as what tesseractive is saying, he's right. Combine numbers are pretty accurate, but the NBA lists heights with shoes, and that adds an inch or two. So if Millsap were 6-6 at the combine without shoes, it's very possible that he'd be conventionally listed as 6-8 in the pros. In Europe he'd be listed at about two meters (his without-shoe height). Cultural difference.

I realize this, but the fact that they always round up tells you something - especially considering that they don't wear 2+" heels on their shoes. It would even out and not make a difference if every player went by height in shoes or true height - but that's not the case. Some players are honest and some try to hedge their measurements. I'm not too concerned with the issue, just pointing it out.

jbspurs
07-01-2013, 12:34 AM
No, I watched.. I saw Parker, Duncan and Kawhi carry this team for the most part and Danny Green show up and Neal in spots.. The Memphis series was his best series but he wasn't a game changer

You shouLd watch it again.. Check who guarded Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, and Randolph. You think Bonner or Blair can guard those guys? He's not a game changer but, without him we would've not made it to finals.. Remember, not everything shows on stats sheets...

objective
07-01-2013, 12:34 AM
The Spurs front office wants to pay Bonner 4 million a year. Going off that, Splitter is a minimum of 8 per year, maybe up to 12. Based on Bonner.

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:35 AM
We've got Diaw, so if we can add a perimeter player who can backup TP and create his own shot (Jarrett Jack) isn't it worth downgrading from Splitter to a scrub (Blatche, Birdman, KMart) or making a run at a slight downgrade in JJ Hickson? Just because we don't pay Splitter $8-9m a year doesn't mean we have to find another big at that number. There are plenty of alternatives. We need another trusted ball handler and guy who can create. Manu's not up for the job anymore.

Blatche average the same crappy stats roughly as Tiago last year on a shittier team and less minutes. He's also not expecting 8 million dollars. better deal there.

jestersmash
07-01-2013, 12:37 AM

If we absolutely could get someone like Jarret Jack, then honestly yes I'll agree with you. I'm totally for something like that. I agree with everything you said. What's the latest news on Jack by the way? The vibe I got from him was that he enjoyed Golden State and wanted to stay. I wasn't even aware that he was a viable or practical option.

Chinook
I realize this, but the fact that they always round up tells you something - especially considering that they don't wear 2+" heels on their shoes. It would even out and not make a difference if every player went by height in shoes or true height - but that's not the case. Some players are honest and some try to hedge their measurements. I'm not too concerned with the issue, just pointing it out.

It's not a player's decision, though. It's not like Millsap is standing on his tip-toes when the team measures him. Teams like to round up to make players seem taller than they are. Everyone does it, so it's not dishonest. It's just a convention. Just like people tried to argue that Baynes wasn't a seven-footer because he was listed at 6-10 by his European team.

therealtruth

Pretty much. If you're not going to watch the games at least look at the advanced stats as well where you will see what effect Splitter has had on the defense.

jestersmash
07-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Man, I've been away from NBA talk licking my wounds from Game 6 too long :lol. Guess it looks like Jack will likely look elsewhere from GSW because his market value is almost certainly greater than his player option for '13-'14

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/goodbye-jarrett-jack-3-things-golden-state-warriors-203800184.html

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:40 AM
You shouLd watch it again.. Check who guarded Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, and Randolph. You think Bonner or Blair can guard those guys? He's not a game changer but, without him we would've not made it to finals.. Remember, not everything shows on stats sheets...

They all average about what they made during the regular season and Marc Gasol is not a major scorer, neither is Pau Gasol.. They were averaging 14 points during the regular season and they averaged about the same and there rebounds went up they were getting double doubles.. It only looks nice because everyone else was clicking. Bonner actually did well in the LA series which was a surprise but I think that's more of a testament to how shitty LA was last year.

coachmac87
07-01-2013, 12:41 AM
The Spurs front office wants to pay Bonner 4 million a year. Going off that, Splitter is a minimum of 8 per year, maybe up to 12. Based on Bonner.

Lol you know when you look at it that way...it's quite true and hilarious. Splitter is a max player hahahaha

Splits
07-01-2013, 12:41 AM
If we absolutely could get someone like Jarret Jack, then honestly yes I'll agree with you. I'm totally for something like that. I agree with everything you said. What's the latest news on Jack by the way? The vibe I got from him was that he enjoyed Golden State and wanted to stay. I wasn't even aware that he was a viable or practical option.

GSW wants him back, but he's unrestricted, and made $5.4m last year. Could probably be gotten for around $8m/per.

Mikeanaro
07-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Too Much money for Tiago, but remember this front office payed more for RJ, they spent money overpaying some players, and then spent time searching around the world for some international talents for cheap, they should get a big fish for once god damn, those internationals are talented, but soft as shit

Splits
07-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Man, I've been away from NBA talk licking my wounds from Game 6 too long :lol. Guess it looks like Jack will likely look elsewhere from GSW because his market value is almost certainly greater than his player option for '13-'14

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/goodbye-jarrett-jack-3-things-golden-state-warriors-203800184.html

Yeah, and he already turned down his player option so he's an UFA.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2013, 12:47 AM
It's not a player's decision, though. It's not like Millsap is standing on his tip-toes when the team measures him. Teams like to round up to make players seem taller than they are. Everyone does it, so it's not dishonest. It's just a convention. Just like people tried to argue that Baynes wasn't a seven-footer because he was listed at 6-10 by his European team.

I disagree with the bolded part, but even so - do you see how ridiculous that sounds? Everyone does it, so it's not dishonest? I think that the players who are very short for their position round up a lot more than those that don't need it.

With that being said, I don't think that this conversation needs to go on much further considering that FA just started and there are more important things that we could debate. Like how this whole "measurement" dispute came up - do you think that Milsap would be an adequate full time replacement for Splitter given the same money?

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Too Much money for Tiago, but remember this front office payed more for RJ, they spent money overpaying some players, and then spent time searching around the world for some international talents for cheap, they should get a big fish for once god damn, those internationals are talented, but soft as shit

Some people are sold on Tiago's intangibles but for that kind of money his glaring offensive weaknesses will be put on display. We're saying that he's worth about just as much as Duncan, Parker and Manu. I mean if we're paying him 8 or 9 million how much are they going to have to pay Kawhi when his deal comes around?

Chinook
07-01-2013, 12:49 AM
I disagree with the bolded part, but even so - do you see how ridiculous that sounds? Everyone does it, so it's not dishonest? I think that the players who are very short for their position round up a lot more than those that don't need it.

With that being said, I don't think that this conversation needs to go on much further considering that FA just started and there are more important things that we could debate. Like how this whole "measurement" dispute came up - do you think that Milsap would be an adequate full time replacement for Splitter given the same money?

Oh hell no. Millsap can't replace Splitter. The only way I'd do that swap is if I though Baynes would replace Splitter (like how Green replaced Hill). If the Spurs somehow magically acquire Millsap, I'd be in favor of pushing Splitter back to the bench, but I don't think Millsap could fill Splitter's role at all.

manufan10
07-01-2013, 12:51 AM
:lol at the people who want Tiago gone, but are willing to start Diaw. Diaw doesn't rebound either.

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:52 AM
:lol at the people who want Tiago gone, but are willing to start Diaw. Diaw doesn't rebound either.

He stretches the floor, lol..

SpursRock20
07-01-2013, 12:52 AM
He stretches the floor, lol..
....and then fakes.....and then fakes again...lol

Splits
07-01-2013, 12:53 AM

Huh? So replacing a guy who doesn't rebound with another guy who doesn't rebound that also started for us during the 20 game win streak...? What are you saying?

Mikeanaro
07-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Some people are sold on Tiago's intangibles but for that kind of money his glaring offensive weaknesses will be put on display. We're saying that he's worth about just as much as Duncan, Parker and Manu. I mean if we're paying him 8 or 9 million how much are they going to have to pay Kawhi when his deal comes around?
EXACTLY! Tiago is not a Duncan caliber guy (TP and Manu included) if we are paying him 9 million Kawhi should get 1 paradisiac Island every year when his big deal comes around

ElNono
07-01-2013, 12:57 AM

A max deal is $20 million dollars/season in this league... If Kawhi keeps progressing the way he has, we're probably gonna have to hand him a contract in the $12m-$15m/season range if not more. If we don't, somebody else will. That's just what the market says he's worth. Right now Tiago was offered a QO of around $5m a season, IIRC. If a teams comes around and offers $8m/season then that's his value.

What other available centers you're seeing we can land for that money? I'm thinking Asik, but as Chinook said, Rockets probably want better pieces for him.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Oh hell no. Millsap can't replace Splitter. The only way I'd do that swap is if I though Baynes would replace Splitter (like how Green replaced Hill). If the Spurs somehow magically acquire Millsap, I'd be in favor of pushing Splitter back to the bench, but I don't think Millsap could fill Splitter's role at all.

That was my stance with SpursRock20, so we are in complete agreement there. :toast

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2013, 12:58 AM
EXACTLY! Tiago is not a Duncan caliber guy (TP and Manu included) if we are paying him 9 million Kawhi should get 1 paradisiac Island every year when his big deal comes around

It would have to be 20Mil a year

4down
07-01-2013, 12:59 AM

Kawhi worth at least one Hawaiian island tbh