PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Patty Mills our backup Point Guard or at least being considered?

Jwash_1986
07-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Why haven't the spurs gave him his fair shot? I understand he's a scorer by nature but if they were to come at him and let him know the things he would need to do to earn legitimate minutes was to work on his point guard skills, I think he would be a good choice. If there not going to experiment or give it a try why would they even bring him back? Just his positive attitude alone should give him a shot. He handled being benched professionally. With his scoring ability and some improvement on his point guard skills, this wouldn't be a bad option.

MANUNG-Ginobili
07-07-2013, 10:17 PM
because no one will replace his place as the teams towel waver

UZER
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
We already have a back up point guard....Bonner.

Sean Cagney
07-07-2013, 10:26 PM
He is not a PG, SG in PG body like a few we have.

Hoops Czar
07-07-2013, 10:31 PM

That and because Pop has a serious hard on for De Colo. Another year of backup pg by committee.

AFBlue
07-07-2013, 10:32 PM
FYI...Patty had an opportunity to exercise his player option, but he chose to stay with the team. It's not as if the Spurs are holding him hostage.

Honestly though, I think Patty will be given the opportunity to step into a solid bench role...even if its not backup PG.

ironman2886
07-07-2013, 10:36 PM
That and because Pop has a serious hard on for De Colo. Another year of backup pg by committee.
De Colo didnt even play after he was basically named backup PG. If thats what you call a "serious hard on" for De Colo, then Pop is literally fucking Bonner on a nightly basis.

Sean Cagney
07-07-2013, 10:38 PM

I have no idea why Pop likes him so much? I agree another year of that crap! Thats a main reason why the O in the second unit stalled with Parker out alot of times, no backup ball handler out there because Manu was getting older and unable to do it anymore.

Jwash_1986
07-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Yea I know he's not a pg but I'm sure they could develop him into one. He can dribble, shoot and I'm sure create. About the player option I didn't know much about it but I see what your saying. Foreign players feel at home with the spurs that's probably the case.

Hoops Czar
07-07-2013, 10:47 PM
De Colo didnt even play after he was basically named backup PG. If thats what you call a "serious hard on" for De Colo, then Pop is literally fucking Bonner on a nightly basis.

He got plenty of playing time prior to being named the official backup pg and he had chances afterwards. The problem is De Colo isn't NBA caliber anything where as Bonner can at least knock down open shots. De Crapo has zero game. It's funny that he's still here. When Jackson complained about playing time, he was released. When De Colo complained, he gets to stay. And your comparison stinks. Bonner got a new contract three years ago when the Spurs had no business re-signing him. Pop as hard on for both.

Jwash_1986
07-07-2013, 10:52 PM
FYI...Patty had an opportunity to exercise his player option, but he chose to stay with the team. It's not as if the Spurs are holding him hostage.

Honestly though, I think Patty will be given the opportunity to step into a solid bench role...even if its not backup PG.

Jwash_1986
07-07-2013, 10:53 PM

Sean Cagney
07-07-2013, 11:00 PM
He got plenty of playing time prior to being named the official backup pg and he had chances afterwards. The problem is De Colo isn't NBA caliber anything where as Bonner can at least knock down open shots. De Crapo has zero game. It's funny that he's still here. When Jackson complained about playing time, he was released. When De Colo complained, he gets to stay. And your comparison stinks. Bonner got a new contract three years ago when the Spurs had no business re-signing him. Pop as hard on for both.
Damn sadly I have to agree, De Colo sucks IMO from what I saw and BONNER I can't stand :( THANKS POOP..... I wish both of them were gone, waste of cap space.

therealtruth
07-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Because we don't have a backup towel waver.

Solid D
07-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Patty is one of the backup PGs.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Why haven't the spurs gave him his fair shot? I understand he's a scorer by nature but if they were to come at him and let him know the things he would need to do to earn legitimate minutes was to work on his point guard skills, I think he would be a good choice. If there not going to experiment or give it a try why would they even bring him back? Just his positive attitude alone should give him a shot. He handled being benched professionally. With his scoring ability and some improvement on his point guard skills, this wouldn't be a bad option.

He got a fair shot. There were two other guys competing for the position that deserved, and got, their fair shots too.

Jwash_1986
07-07-2013, 11:15 PM
He got a fair shot. There were two other guys competing for the position that deserved, and got, their fair shots too.
Out of the three candidates, De Colo, Joesph and Mills, which one do you like? Me personally Mills is a scorer, if we get him to be a play maker too that would be lovely.

exstatic
07-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Patty can't defend the position.

DesignatedT
07-07-2013, 11:21 PM
How does Pop have a hard on for De Colo when he chose to dress Mills over him during the playoffs? lol

ironman2886
07-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't even like De Colo, but he didn't get plenty of playing time. That's bullshit. We don't know the exact words that were exchanged between pop and Jax. Not a good comparison to De Colo's emo rant. Don't really care that Bonner played, but that he got significant time. De Colo didn't. Bonner was supposed to be a 4th or 5th big. Bonner was the first player off the bench. If De Colo had zero game, he wouldn't be in the league, period. The Spurs know talent. Now whether they improve or stick with the system is a different story. Again, De Colo didn't even get to get any game time to get experience or improve. Pop can trade De Colo, Bonner and Mills for all I care, but don't say that De Colo had " plenty of playing time." He didn't.

PlayNando
07-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Because we have Nando.

Nando >>> Patty.

Play Nando..........

Nando = X-Factor 2013-2014....................

Nando = Future All-Star..............

Nando = Manu Replacement...........

Nando + Kawhi + Belinelli = Spurs Future

Rogue
07-07-2013, 11:25 PM
He was one of the top performers on London Olympics last year, I think he's worth giving a chance at least. I'd still rather have Neal over Mills but both guys would be better than TJ Ford imho. Ford is broke and done.

PlayNando
07-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Patty = Garbage Time All-Star

Nando = Future Hall-of-Famer

THE TRUTH.

Jwash_1986
07-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Because we have Nando.

Nando >>> Patty.

Play Nando..........

Honestly though Nando doesn't even know what his position will end up being. He's big enough to be a shooting guard but he can't stroke it yet maybe he'll develop a shot. Either one Nando or Mills is good for me I just want some consistency at that position.

timtonymanu
07-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Patty had a subpar season after a strong performance in the lockout year and the Olympics.

He's nothing more than a situational player, imo. With CoJo on the team, I would rather play him over Mills.

Boddah
07-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Patty Mills, as much as I love him, overshoots. He's not a creator. He's a high energy guy that gives you a scoring boost. When he's HOT, it's great, when he's off, he doesn't run the offense. X

UZER
07-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Because Pop decided to go with Gary Mason Jr as the back up point guaed this year. Is anyone really surprised?

ironman2886
07-07-2013, 11:46 PM
This is funny, because hasn't Manu always been our backup PG? We aren't even talking about this if Manu had just shown up in the Finals.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Out of the three candidates, De Colo, Joesph and Mills, which one do you like? Me personally Mills is a scorer, if we get him to be a play maker too that would be lovely.

That's tough. All 3 guys are good at something and suck at something else, so tell me who the opponent is and how the game is going and I'll tell you who I want my backup PG to be that night. :)

Seriously though, I'd take both Joseph and DeColo over Mills. Mills is a great score, but I don't think the Spurs need a scoring PG as much as they need someone who can run the offense or defend. That being said, I also think either Joseph or Decolo are about to get traded. The Spurs don't need 4 point guards, and those two are going to have higher trade values than Mills will. So, I think Patty's going to still be here, but will be the 3rd string PG.

weeks
07-07-2013, 11:54 PM
We already have a back up point guard....Bonner.

My face when I realize Pop just might do it

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/287/578/6ce.png

Jwash_1986
07-07-2013, 11:55 PM
That's tough. All 3 guys are good at something and suck at something else, so tell me who the opponent is and how the game is going and I'll tell you who I want my backup PG to be that night. :)

Seriously though, I'd take both Joseph and DeColo over Mills. Mills is a great score, but I don't think the Spurs need a scoring PG as much as they need someone who can run the offense or defend. That being said, I also think either Joseph or Decolo are about to get traded. The Spurs don't need 4 point guards, and those two are going to have higher trade values than Mills will. So, I think Patty's going to still be here, but will be the 3rd string PG.
Yea were stacked at that position kawhi needs a backup hopefully they find him one. Ill be fine with turning Manu only a small forward at this point in his career.

Hoops Czar
07-08-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't even like De Colo, but he didn't get plenty of playing time. That's bullshit. We don't know the exact words that were exchanged between pop and Jax. Not a good comparison to De Colo's emo rant. Don't really care that Bonner played, but that he got significant time. De Colo didn't. Bonner was supposed to be a 4th or 5th big. Bonner was the first player off the bench. If De Colo had zero game, he wouldn't be in the league, period. The Spurs know talent. Now whether they improve or stick with the system is a different story. Again, De Colo didn't even get to get any game time to get experience or improve. Pop can trade De Colo, Bonner and Mills for all I care, but don't say that De Colo had " plenty of playing time." He didn't. He got plenty of playing time early and often. Pop annoiting him backup pg was motivationally driven, not performance. It backfired almost immediately forcing pop to turn to Corey Joseph. NONE of the three backups could consistently carry the role, but De Colo was the worst of the worst. I don't know how many times it has to be said, but De Colo will never be a competent NBA pg if he can't make open jumpshots. Defenders will continue to sag off him and clog the lanes. Nearly everytime he entered the game sans a few, leads would evaporate. And he was primarily playing against other backups. He doesn't deserve playing time.

Boomersgold
07-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Because we have Nando.

Nando >>> Patty.

Play Nando..........

Nando, unfortunately won't be seeing much playing time next season. He has no confidence in his offensive game, so defenders know not to guard him too closely, and is a turnover machine, which means that we wouldn't want him to be our primary ball handler off the bench. I want Patty to succeed with the Spurs, but imo, it will be Cojo who takes the backup pg next season, with Patty as our third string and Nando as a benchwarmer who'll eventually be traded for a second rounder.

silverblk mystix
07-08-2013, 04:22 AM

Because genius coach picked DeColo over him - but then didn't give DeColo a real shot either and didn't trust him either.

So genius coach has had YEARS to assign a back up point guard - but he will only fiddle around and come crunch time - he will panic and assign Manu as the pg.

Genius!

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2013, 04:57 AM
Because his ball handling is terrible, his size limits his ability to fight through screens, his perimeter defense is worse and he doesn't understand angles, timing and spacing on pnr.

DeColo was in the doghouse at the end of the year but at least he could handle pressure and get back to the three point line to contest shots when he'd sag into help.

Patty can shoot lights out. No question but the rest of his game needs work.

Ice009
07-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Because his ball handling is terrible, his size limits his ability to fight through screens, his perimeter defense is worse and he doesn't understand angles, timing and spacing on pnr.

DeColo was in the doghouse at the end of the year but at least he could handle pressure and get back to the three point line to contest shots when he'd sag into help.

Patty can shoot lights out. No question but the rest of his game needs work.

Patrick wasn't a great shooter not too long ago, in fact, I thought he was a very average shooter a few years ago. It seems that he's really worked on it, so who knows, maybe he can improve other aspects of his game in a quick amount of time.

Stabula
07-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Mills could probably play well next to Ginobili coming off the bench.

Darkwaters
07-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Patrick wasn't a great shooter not too long ago, in fact, I thought he was a very average shooter a few years ago. It seems that he's really worked on it, so who knows, maybe he can improve other aspects of his game in a quick amount of time.

Put in some time during the offseason and see what happens. CoJo sure went from a total dud to a fringe NBA player over last summer. But I'm sure that was the result of much hard work in Austin the year prior.

That being said, Mills turns 25 next month and already has four years pro. I'm not saying he can't improve, but that period where the big "P" word comes into play is coming to an end. He can get better, but it's going to take a strong deliberate effort and won't come just from being around the game more.

Mel_13
07-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Patty is a really, really short SG.

Steve-O-Matic
07-08-2013, 01:52 PM
As many have already stated, Patty Mills isn't a true PG, he's a 5-11 SG with average ball-handling ability, which significantly limits what he can do in any meaningful situation, particularly on defense where he's a liability regardless of how you deploy him. Mills' greatest value comes in the locker-room and on the sidelines as a great/valued teammate and cheerleader. He's basically a foot-shorter version of Jack Haley.

Darkwaters
07-08-2013, 01:54 PM
One thing I've always liked about Mills is his ability to come into a game cold and start firing (and hitting) like hes been pulling regular minutes. Hes always ready to check in and liven up the place. A great example of an instant offense guy.

Dex
07-08-2013, 02:12 PM
If only we had a point guard that could score like Patty, pass like DeColo, and defend like Cojo....

Sean Cagney
07-08-2013, 02:15 PM

monkeypunk
07-08-2013, 02:34 PM

This.

He can't create for others in a crowd due to his height (and not great court awareness) and he can barely shoot over defenders in his face.

He looks great against end of benchers but that's about it.

I can totally see the Spurs keeping him as that locker room glue guy (ala Kiwi) that they seem to value so much. Kind of an Anti-Jax in that regard, now that I think of it. Always rooting for the team over himself... In that sense, I see the value in keeping him.

DeColo, OTOH, has to play (and create) to make him an asset. If he works with Chip all summer to get confidence in his 3 and midrange shots, he can increase his value and his minutes. If he doesn't and comes into camp with the same mindset and basic skillset he had last year, I see a trade in his future...

Jwash_1986
07-08-2013, 02:47 PM
If only we had a point guard that could score like Patty, pass like DeColo, and defend like Cojo....
Real talk

Darkwaters
07-08-2013, 03:05 PM

I think we need to draft higher than 28 to get there.

ezau
07-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Mills could have been a good playmaker/scorer against the Heat's trapping D in the Finals. Instead, POP chose Manu fucking Turnobili to create and commit 8 turnovers. I don't want to bring this up, but the Finals loss is on Pop. Removing Duncan, not playing Mills, and trusting an over-the-hill Manu. Yeah, fuck Pop.

Russ
07-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Mills could have been a good playmaker/scorer against the Heat's trapping D in the Finals. Instead, POP chose Manu fucking Turnobili to create and commit 8 turnovers. I don't want to bring this up, but the Finals loss is on Pop. Removing Duncan, not playing Mills, and trusting an over-the-hill Manu. Yeah, fuck Pop.

Who was he guarding in your scenario?

Jwash_1986
07-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Let patty get some burn, what we got to lose? Not like its been rewarded to anyone so let him get his fair shot at it all ready.

z0sa
07-11-2013, 11:34 AM
His towel waving skills usurp his basketball abilities at this point tbh

elemento
07-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Because he is a 6'0 SG.

Taking it to the Hole
07-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Because he isn't a PG. The only player out of De Colo, Patty, and CoJo that have had any significant experience playing the PG position would be CoJo and this year is the year where I think he actually becomes a significant contributor with more minutes. DeColo is not a very good ballhandler and Patty is a streak shooter so that is the real truth.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
The retconning continues.

silverblk mystix
02-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Because genius coach picked DeColo over him - but then didn't give DeColo a real shot either and didn't trust him either.

So genius coach has had YEARS to assign a back up point guard - but he will only fiddle around and come crunch time - he will panic and assign Manu as the pg.

Genius!

Disgusting even to me - that I was proven right again...

Shit coach, shit results. (last season- but he is a lock to fuck things up again in 2014!!!)

:lmao:lmao