PDA

View Full Version : How was back to back MVP Miggy Cabreras 2013 playoff performance?

Fabbs
10-21-2013, 09:08 AM
JamStone
His playoff numbers, as a bigger sample, are better even with those World Series numbers. .276 BA, which isn't all that great,....... And 10 HR with 30 RBI in 41 games. Translate that to a 162 game season, his overall playoff numbers would be on pace for a 39 HR and 118 RBI season...
Likewise in 2013 he went
.311 on base
2 HRs in 42 at bats
7 rbi

In his only truly clutch situation at bat, that being Game 3 bottom 8th trailing 1-0 with runners on 1st and 3rd:
struck out.
I suppose you could say his Game 5 7th inning ground out double play rbi which brought Detroit within 4-3 was clutch in that it got the run in. But i mean really?

While his playoff #s drastically drop from his reg season #s, it should be noted that compared to other players:
HRs 2 is good for 2nd place
RBIs 7 is good for 2nd place (tied).
So Cabrera is indeed with the *league* leaders in HRs/RBIs in the 2013 AL playoffs.

JamStone
But since you wanted to label me a stats guy, I will give you a few hitting stats for the two players. RISPw2outs, runners in scoring position with 2 outs, almost universally accepted as one of the main clutch hitting stats used to determine clutch hitting. High Leverage hitting stats, advanced stats geeks break down each AB and determine how important and pivotal an AB is in terms of swinging and determining the outcome of the game. High leverage situations can help show how good a hitter can be in the most important hitting situations. And Margin>4 runs, basically hitting stats when the game is a blowout either way, 5 run lead or 5 run deficit. In many of those situations, opposing pitchers are usually just trying to get through innings, usually are no longer in high pressure situations throwing high stress pitches. If it's still the starting pitcher who is losing the blowout, he's probably beat up. If it's a reliever, he's probably throwing a lot of fastballs just trying to get quick outs.

Mike Trout
RISP2/o: .291/.426/.491/.917
High Leverage: .272/.385/.346/.730
Margin>4: .469/.541/.875/1.416

Miguel Cabrera
RISP2/o: .447/.594/.957/1.551
High Leverage: .351/.480/.766/.1.246
Margine>4: .250/.303/.400/.703

So what you see there is that Miggy is one of the greatest hitters ever, but even better in clutch situations, in high pressure ABs. And you also see that Mike Trout morphs into Babe Ruth when the game is a blowout either way and shrinks into Mark Kotsay in important and clutch situations. The difference between Miggy and Trout, as both are having great, great seasons, is that Miggy hits 2 HRs in consecutive ABs against Mariano Rivera in save situations at Yankees stadium, and Mike Trout hits a 3 run homer late in a game with his team trailing 14-4 against a Triple-A call-up.
Do tell us how Miggy did with your 3 stats in these 2013 playoffs.

Chris
Yeah Miggy is sooooo clutch
So clutch he got his ass swept in the World Series and struck out looking on the final at bat. Fastball right down them middle.

2003 Marlins 6 24 .167
2012 Tigers 4 13 .231

Heath Ledger
Look at who is batting behind Cabrera, Fielder, and although Fielder is semi struggling right now with a guy like Fielder behind Cabrera obviously he is going to see a lot more good pitches to hit because Fielder is no slouch. And Cabrera can hit non strikes out of the park as well. He's just that good. If it comes out that hes juicing I will leave Spurstalk forever.
Can a fair amount of Cabrera/Detroits loss to Boston be put on Fielders suckage?

Hornets78
Ryan Braun was great from Day one. In the minors and even once he got to the majors. He was a beast at every level.
I don't know if Miggy has juiced. No evidence. Wouldn't surprise me due to the history of Latin American stars, but I won't accuse him.
woops

Bill_Brasky
10-21-2013, 09:10 AM
he was hurt you retarded fuck

Fabbs
10-21-2013, 09:15 AM
he was hurt you retarded fuck
No, Cabrera put up about the same #s he puts up every playoffs. Are you claiming he was hurt every single year of his career in the playoffs?
According to your other profile, Mike Trout was a pussy when he played while hurt.
Maybe you should make up yet another profile and attempt to spin.

Bill_Brasky
10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
no, you sucked mike trout's dick relentlessly for playing hurt. then jamstone said you're retarded, a lot of players play hurt.

if you can walk, you should play, esp in the playoffs, but to criticize his playoff numbers when he played hurt is just one of the worst takes I've ever read on this site.

JMarkJohns
10-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Almost everyone's offensive numbers decline in the playoffs due to better starters/bullpens (typically).

2003 was his rookie year
Last season he faced several juggernaut pitching staffs
This year he faced very good pitching staffs and was injured

Even the greatest hitter in the history of postseason stats had a rough go vs. Dodgers. Several timely hits, but struggles overall. Not even Beltran is immune.

Fabbs
10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
no, you sucked mike trout's dick relentlessly for playing hurt. then jamstone said you're retarded, a lot of players play hurt.
Already post this numb nutts:

No, Cabrera put up about the same #s he puts up every playoffs. Are you claiming he was hurt every single year of his career in the playoffs?
You wanna chase your tail in circles in attempted trolling, go for it. :lol

Fabbs
10-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Almost everyone's offensive numbers decline in the playoffs due to better starters/bullpens (typically).

2003 was his rookie year
Last season he faced several juggernaut pitching staffs
This year he faced very good pitching staffs and was injured

Even the greatest hitter in the history of postseason stats had a rough go vs. Dodgers. Several timely hits, but struggles overall. Not even Beltran is immune.
The thread is for discussion. Good point noted on Beltran.
As i op'd Cabrera was 2nd in AL playoff HRs and RBIs.

Still wanna hear from CramStone.

Fabbs
10-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Silence from the Miggy honks.

Arnold Toht
10-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Trout's playoff performance was fairly noticeable.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-26-2013, 09:11 AM

if you can walk, you should play, esp in the playoffs, but to criticize his playoff numbers when he played hurt is just one of the worst takes I've ever read on this site.
No, he sucked Mike Trout's dick for NOT playing hurt and "conserving" himself :lmao

monosylab1k
10-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Mike Trout playoff stats

0/0/0/0/0/0/.000

Fabbs
10-26-2013, 10:58 PM
silence
more silence from the Cabrera honks.

JamStone
10-28-2013, 02:22 PM
I haven't been on Spurstalk. I wasn't avoiding this thread.

As for your question, it wasn't good. If he wanted to really be the great hitter many people suggest he is, he needed to perform better. I won't make excuses with injury. If he's good enough to play, he is expected to perform. He wasn't good enough. Outside of the Tigers starting pitching and Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta, the team as a whole didn't show up to deserve to advance. No excuses. I don't know what you wanted Tigers fans to say.

I'll still take Cabrera on my team. Hopefully, in the future, he'll show up when it counts the most, injuries or not.

Fabbs
10-28-2013, 08:30 PM
:toast ^

Fabbs
10-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I'll still take Cabrera on my team. Hopefully, in the future, he'll show up when it counts the most, injuries or not.
Sounds like he may well have had a hernia.

Miguel Cabrera undergoes surgery
The Tigers made the announcement on their official Twitter account, saying that Cabrera had "successful core muscle repair surgery."

"I tried to [play hurt], to take advantage of the chance we had in the playoffs, because with so many good teams, you never know when a chance like this will come along," Cabrera told Rojas. "It took me eight or nine years to get back in the playoffs, and I wanted to be back there and help the team win."

whole article:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9897691/miguel-cabrera-detroit-tigers-undergoes-surgery-expected-return-2014-spring-training

JamStone
10-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I already knew that a few days ago. It was reported on Detroit sports talk radio. He had a tear in his groin. He probably had been playing on in for a couple months or more.

That doesn't change my comments. I made my comments knowing that. If he was going to be in the line-up, injuries are not an excuse. He still had to perform. It may have been the reason for him not performing up to his standards, but for me it's not an excuse. Unlike Trout blowhards, I don't sit at the teet of Miguel Cabrera waiting to suck on it. He was playing, therefore he had to perform. It's commendable that he's tough enough to play through the injury, but it doesn't change the fact that the Tigers are sitting and watching the World Series right now with 27 other teams.

monosylab1k
10-31-2013, 03:09 AM
the best way to not suck in the playoffs is to never get there. thats why my TroutDoll is the best!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Ralph_Wiggum.png

Fabbs
10-31-2013, 09:58 AM
the best way to not suck in the playoffs is to never get there. thats why my MiggyDoll is the best!
Miggy Cabreras playoff stats for:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Ralph_Wiggum.png
I like to post on the interwebs.

Fabbs
10-31-2013, 09:59 AM
I already knew that a few days ago. It was reported on Detroit sports talk radio. He had a tear in his groin. He probably had been playing on in for a couple months or more.

That doesn't change my comments. I made my comments knowing that. If he was going to be in the line-up, injuries are not an excuse. He still had to perform. It may have been the reason for him not performing up to his standards, but for me it's not an excuse. Unlike Trout blowhards, I don't sit at the teet of Miguel Cabrera waiting to suck on it. He was playing, therefore he had to perform. It's commendable that he's tough enough to play through the injury, but it doesn't change the fact that the Tigers are sitting and watching the World Series right now with 27 other teams.
Just when you thought Spurtalk Poster might show an ounce of class. :lol

Fabbs
10-31-2013, 10:21 AM
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/I0LqvFMfIso/hqdefault.jpg
When Miggy Cabrera sits out with a strain, he's the ultimate stud.
When Trout sits out with a similar strain, he's a pussy.

Make one wonder if Miggy Cabrera would have rested some more games in September if he would have done better in the playoffs. :lol:toast

Fabbs
10-31-2013, 10:25 AM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130520182619/simpsons/images/d/d5/Ralph_wiggum-with-gun.gif
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/I0LqvFMfIso/hqdefault.jpg
"If Miggy Cabrera was traded to the Angels for Trout this year, the Angels would have wonned the World Series."

Trouts rookie year too. :lmao

BUMP
10-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Can you make one for me?

Fabbs
10-31-2013, 10:40 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFhX3T5AK8rx25ZXlL7TVuAoqemcUvz O7MRqaPmqzeOpswSBu0
Miggy Cabrera never lost Game 6 and Game 7 at Fenway.
I'm juiced.

BUMP
10-31-2013, 10:45 PM
:tu

symple19
10-31-2013, 11:26 PM
:lol

Biernutz
11-01-2013, 12:08 AM
This bromance with Miggy could take a new turn--

://www.talk-sports.net/mlb/girlfriend.aspx/Miguel_Cabrera (http://www.talk-sports.net/mlb/girlfriend.aspx/Miguel_Cabrera)

Chris
11-03-2013, 04:55 PM
lol Cabreroid
lol still can't speak English

DAF86
11-05-2013, 01:12 AM
lol fat people
lol fat people getting paid millions to play a "sport"
lol fat people having to get juiced up to play a "sport" to get paid millions
lol baseball
lol Fabbs gay ass sig