PDA

View Full Version : I'm having trouble seeing Patty Mill's rotations in playoffs

jkid12456
03-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Since you guys said Patty Mills role will be even more restrictive in that Manu will be the guy controlling the ball rather than Patty. If that's the case where will we see Patty.

Please give an estimate of how many minutes he will average in the playoffs. :nope

Dex
03-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Mill's surely isn't going to average the 18.4 MPG he is currently seeing, but even those numbers are inflated by him filling in for Tony for stretches and the Spurs general injuries woes.

Pop will surely shorten the rotation in the playoffs, but I don't see the wing players losing a lot of minutes. If anything, they will just be re-allocated as Pop goes into his small-ball rotations, especially if the Spurs go up against HOU, GSW, OKC, or MIA.

Pop will probably squeeze a big man out of the rotation, so goodbye Ayers, Baynes, and Bonner for the most part. With their vastly different but limited skill-sets, Pop will inject them as needed.

The starters are probably locked at Duncan, Splitter, Leonard, Green, Parker, unless Pop decides to go for his Splitter-Diaw swap against smaller teams. Their minutes will surely increase, along with Manu's, so that naturally will pull minutes from Mills, Marco, and Diaw. Even if the starters + Manu all get 34 MPG in the playoffs, that leaves 12 MPG for those three. Mills and Marco will see increased roles at the 2 and 3 spot, as will Diaw at the 3 and 4. Duncan and Splitter's increased minutes will take the place of the missing big.

That being said, I think Mills sees about 13 MPG in the playoffs.

jkid12456
03-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Good take. He is our super energiser bunny. He will likely play a decent role in the playoffs with his spark. I'd say 14 mpg.

cd021
03-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Since you guys said Patty Mills role will be even more restrictive in that Manu will be the guy controlling the ball rather than Patty. If that's the case where will we see Patty.

Please give an estimate of how many minutes he will average in the playoffs. :nope

15 mpg is the absolute high end. Closer to 10-12mpg

crc21209
03-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Mills certainly won't get as many minutes in the PO's as he has in the regular season, but he will get a good amount of time. And if he plays well in the Playoffs it will be huge for Pop to be able to save Tony more for the 4th quarter.

superjames1992
03-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Assuming Pop doesn't opt for a Manu/Marco backcourt (unlikely unless Patty is playing terribly), Patty should see plenty of minutes whenever Enrique isn't on the floor. He should be good for at least 12 minutes per game.

Hoops Czar
03-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Neal's role!

heyheymymy
03-19-2014, 11:16 PM
yea 10-12 unless there is a blowout on either end or a matchup to exploit

G-Dawgg
03-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Don't fool yourself.. Popovich trusts Patty Mills to play. Mills has payed his dues and earned this trust. He will play regular minutes when needed. Mills is the type of player that can get hot in a quarter and bury teams. He's an instant offense beast. He completely kills guards that decide to go under the screen in the pick and roll..

spurraider21
03-20-2014, 08:11 PM
these threads come after every poor shooting night the guy has. he'll be fine

Kidd K
03-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Actually I don't think his minutes are going to drop too much, nor do I think Manu's role is going to suddenly go up significantly in the playoffs. Mills has been solid all year, and Manu has been shaky for years now in the postseason. . .so I really don't see Pop making the same mistake by giving Manu that much responsibility. Manu can't be a psuedo PG anymore against elite teams. Mills isn't exactly a sparkling playmaker himself but at least he doesn't constantly try to make high risk plays in close games where a turnover, or several turnovers, can totally fuck us and change the game.

Big P
03-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Patty will get his share of minutes in the playoffs...we need his scoring and scrapiness...Pop knows this.