PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol not expected to return to Lakers next year.

dmon35
04-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Could the Spurs pick him up? Dude has a heavy price tag. And would he fit?

jkid12456
04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
no

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2014, 10:19 PM
I'd take him if he came cheap, but I have a feeling he's going to overvalue himself, tbh..

He's a little overrated by non-Laker fans, at this point(but underrated by Laker fans, obviously)..

There aren't many teams that possess the supporting pieces to negate Gasol's horrific defense, he would be better suited to come off the bench, but I doubt he's ready to accept a bench role..

SupremeGuy
04-10-2014, 10:24 PM
If he wants to come cheap, and come in with the second string, why not? MVPau is done, tbh. Kirby broke him. lol

exstatic
04-10-2014, 10:25 PM
He's kind of gone over a cliff the last two years or so. He's really a borderline MLE player at this point with his awful defense. He'll probably get more than that, though.

Mikeanaro
04-10-2014, 10:26 PM
No and no.

ElNono
04-10-2014, 10:33 PM
I'll take him... shore up that 2nd unit with Boris, and can play when Splitter is pussified...

I also think he has more left in the tank than it looks, and Pop can manage his minutes to get the best out of him.

The fact is that Pau is unmotivated, playing for a coach that doesn't like him or his game, and doesn't even try to use him. Heck, he had him shooting 3s last season.

Don't be surprised if he has a bounce back season.

Spursfanfromafar
04-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Gasol will demand $10 million and he will get it in Chicago (if they amnesty/trade Boozer) or Memphis or somewhere else. If he is willing to take atleast a $3 million cut from that rate, he could be a Spurs option. Doubt if he would do it though.

HI-FI
04-10-2014, 10:36 PM
I'll take him... shore up that 2nd unit with Boris, and can play when Splitter is pussified...

I also think he has more left in the tank than it looks, and Pop can manage his minutes to get the best out of him.

The fact is that Pau is unmotivated, playing for a coach that doesn't like him or his game, and doesn't even try to use him. Heck, he had him shooting 3s last season.

this.

MVPau would be a great Spur. I could see him going to Memphis though, but not sure about their salary cap situation.

SpurPadre
04-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Repeat after me...NO. MORE. OLD. FUCKS! Godamnit, enough with this old man fetish.

sook
04-10-2014, 10:39 PM
he's going to get overpaid by a shit team.

Robz4000
04-10-2014, 10:42 PM
I'd take him if they jettisoned Errors and resigned Mills and Diaw as well.

AFBlue
04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
This was talked about around the trade and buyout deadlines. He has all the tools to be successful here, but I don't see how he'd fit given the current roster construct. You'd have to play him exclusively as Duncan's backup because those two on the floor together would be too immobile defensively imo tbqh.

Is that a role and minutes that he'd be willing to accept? Is that how the Spurs want to spend their MLE? Hard to see tbqh.

jkid12456
04-10-2014, 10:49 PM
he should retire as a laker, hes washed the fk up.

baseline bum
04-10-2014, 10:53 PM

Gotta agree, would love to have him on the team. Besides, Gasol is 33, not 36. But no way he plays for the MLE.

SpurPadre
04-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Gotta agree, would love to have him on the team. Besides, Gasol is 33, not 36. But no way he plays for the MLE.

33 is a fossil in the Western Conference, especially with his high mileage. We have more than enough 30 year olds.

Xylus
04-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Cubby swears that the Suns should have taken him at the trade deadline :lol

dg7md
04-11-2014, 01:49 AM
He'd probably come with a discount for the chances of success, playtime, and our Euro-friendly FO.

I'd take him tbh, could be a solid pickup. It's possible the Spurs work something out, they love out-of-their-prime players on the cheap.

Sean Cagney
04-11-2014, 02:06 AM
he's going to get overpaid by a shit team.

Yep, he is not coming here for cheap so dead that stupid ass notion right away... He will go somewhere and get overpaid.

Mal
04-11-2014, 03:12 AM
If he really wants to go at Lakers and Kirby, he`ll search for team like Spurs and cheap signing. If he`s about money he`ll go to east, to team like Boston, Atlanta, Orlando.

Boomersgold
04-11-2014, 03:28 AM
He's kind of gone over a cliff the last two years or so. He's really a borderline MLE player at this point with his awful defense. He'll probably get more than that, though.
He's still the best post player in the NBA.

jimbo
04-11-2014, 04:00 AM
Already has championships. He'll take the money and run

Prime Time
04-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Repeat after me...NO. MORE. OLD. FUCKS! Godamnit, enough with this old man fetish.
...... Spurs only have 2 players over 31, and that's Duncan/Ginobili. I have no idea what you mean by 'old fucks' as if the Spurs are Brooklyn or something.

With that said, Gasol will be 34 next off-season. Personally I would love to add him to the Spurs (If Tim/Manu are still around.) as he could take a lot of pressure of Duncan offensively while spreading the floor.

The dude is averaging 17ppg, 9rpg, and 3apg this season. If he can even put up 12/7/3.. I'm sold.

scanry
04-11-2014, 05:01 AM
He'd actually be a good fit on them Rockets.

-21-
04-11-2014, 06:23 AM
If he's willing to accept a role and a smaller salary, why wouldn't you take him?

With that said I think his priority will be money as he's already got two rings.

George Gervin's Afro
04-11-2014, 07:13 AM
He will most likely go to memphis to play with his brother... the dude has made alot of cash and won 2 titles. Now he can play with his little brother. He most certainly won't sign with a team who is in the same division with his brother.

exstatic
04-11-2014, 07:17 AM
I used to be a huge fan, but not any more. At 33, he seems as old as Duncan at 37. Let him go to Memphis.

dunkman
04-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Great news for the Spurs, he would complete the Spurs bigs rotation. While Splitter and Diaw can defend, neither can rebound. The problem is that the Spurs can't afford more then the MLE. Another detail is that at this point him and Duncan aren't good defending the pick and roll, so they can't start together and Pau was never a reserve.

exstatic
04-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Great news for the Spurs, he would complete the Spurs bigs rotation. While Splitter and Diaw can defend, neither can rebound. The problem is that the Spurs can't afford more then the MLE. Another detail is that at this point him and Duncan aren't good defending the pick and roll, so they can't start together and Pau was never a reserve.

Not really news at all. This has been fairly well known since they shopped him at the deadline.

wildchild
04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Without Tim we'll need a bigman who can score in the paint, and Gasol could be great playing the pick and roll with Tony but his age and no-defense discourage any trade.

MI21
04-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Gasol would be absolutely amazing for this team on offense... his skillset is made for this Spurs system, tbh.

Mugen
04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
I love Pau but would rather have Boris/Patty back next season tbh.

superbigtime
04-11-2014, 11:33 AM
on the cheap, sure. He wouldn't accept less than Tiago though, surely.

MultiTroll
04-11-2014, 12:07 PM

Phildo, for all his rigged teams with rigged reffing, does seem to know how to utilize players.
Even the Knicks went on a 10 game tear when they knew Phildo was going to be inserted.
So Phil, perhaps others coaches who would use Gasol properly, yes i think he would revitalize. Also being away from Cryant.
But the price tag is the killer.
NBA Players Association does not allow to lower existing contracts, right?

dallasmaverickslose
04-11-2014, 12:10 PM
A washed up Pau would be an upgrade over Tiago "Mr. 3 boards in 28 minutes" Splitter.

ElNono
04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
NBA Players Association does not allow to lower existing contracts, right?

He's a free agent. Whether he signs for $1m or $20m is up to him.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2014, 01:38 PM
He's a free agent. Whether he signs for $1m or $20m is up to him.

True, but the association undoubtedly puts some pressure on players to sign deals that don't artificially depress the market. They don't always win, but I suspect that pressure is substantial.

In any event, if Pau is going to take a small contract, I'd be absolutely stunned if he chose anyone other than the Grizzlies in that circumstance.

ElNono
04-11-2014, 01:43 PM
True, but the association undoubtedly puts some pressure on players to sign deals that don't artificially depress the market. They don't always win, but I suspect that pressure is substantial.

In any event, if Pau is going to take a small contract, I'd be absolutely stunned if he chose anyone other than the Grizzlies in that circumstance.

And there's the natural fact that he's likely entering "last contract" territory, last chance for him and his agent to make some good money, and that injuries have been a recurring theme for him lately.

So yeah, I would tend to agree he'll take the juicier offer he can get. I was merely addressing that there are no rules forcing him to sign for an exorbitant amount.

On the "playing for fun" department, he's also very liked in his home country, and he'll have the opportunity to go back and get a solid deal (while probably not NBA-level) in teams like Barcelona.

He's not short of options, for sure.

Diego20
04-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Old as fuck, no.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2014, 01:47 PM
And there's the natural fact that he's likely entering "last contract" territory, last chance for him and his agent to make some good money, and that injuries have been a recurring theme for him lately.

So yeah, I would tend to agree he'll take the juicier offer he can get. I was merely addressing that there are no rules forcing him to sign for an exorbitant amount.

On the "playing for fun" department, he's also very liked in his home country, and he'll have the opportunity to go back and get a solid deal (while probably not NBA-level) in teams like Barcelona.

He's not short of options, for sure.

Absolutely agreed all the way around.

Pau is exceptionally good at things that allow good big men to play long after their athleticism has waned.

ABC
04-11-2014, 03:25 PM
A washed up Pau would be an upgrade over Tiago "Mr. 3 boards in 28 minutes" Splitter.

The Spurs won by 9. Splitter was +39 in his 28 minutes. The Spurs won the boards 48 to 42. Carlisle went small at the end partly to get Splitter off the floor. Right now, Splitter > Gasol.

look_at_g_shred
04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Won't come here.

TheGoldStandard
04-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Losing has a way of making players look older and shittier than they really are. Gasol can still be productive especially given the right coaching, the right role and if they use him smartly. No doubt Pop would use him to the best of his ability and utilize his strength. He's able to pick and pop consistently and he can finish at the rim. His defense is pretty junky but again if you have a rim defender around him than it's easier to cover this up, consider that you also have Kawhi blossoming into a beast of a defender.

I'd love Gasol on the team, off the bench for 15 minutes, able to spell Duncan longer and have a big front court if we need it. Lots of options but alas it probably won't even be a notion. Gasol will end up in memphis more than likely

Raven
04-11-2014, 05:22 PM
it's really ahrd to know what his intentions are, i'd like to have him at the center spot where he can actually defend, but i wouldn't give up on diaw to sign him. If we could have a rotation of diaw, splitter, timmy and pau it would be great. If he is not willing to sacrifice for a ring then fuck him..

JR3
04-11-2014, 05:59 PM
I think he would fit the offense. Not the defense. and personally.. I don't like him.

KawhiLeonard
04-11-2014, 06:35 PM
i will guarantee some team will offer him 3year/30million

SpurPadre
04-11-2014, 08:04 PM
...... Spurs only have 2 players over 31, and that's Duncan/Ginobili. I have no idea what you mean by 'old fucks' as if the Spurs are Brooklyn or something.

With that said, Gasol will be 34 next off-season. Personally I would love to add him to the Spurs (If Tim/Manu are still around.) as he could take a lot of pressure of Duncan offensively while spreading the floor.

The dude is averaging 17ppg, 9rpg, and 3apg this season. If he can even put up 12/7/3.. I'm sold.

TP is about to be 32, Diaw will be 32 in a few days, Bonner is 34 and will never leave, and even though splitter will still be young at 30 next season, we just can't have too many 30 year olds out there every season. We need to get younger next season as we prepare for TD and Manu's impending retirements.

Tuddy
04-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Any big putting up 17 & 10 is going to get paid, doesn't matter how old they are