PDA

View Full Version : Joey, Bill and Derrick tonight

Beaverfuzz
05-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Crawford in the house! We're screwed. :lobt2: :flag:

Fireball
05-08-2014, 08:28 AM
I just made this comment in the other ref thread ...
I can sense two early foul calls on Tiago coming either tonight or in the first game on the road ... book it!

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Actually, the Spurs I believe have had a winning record with Joey reffing since the Duncan incident. I think the Nets got screwed with Ed Malloy reffing tonight. Heat didn't lose one game last year I believe with him as a ref.

SpurAddict561
05-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Joey was actually very fair in the Finals last year.

dg7md
05-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Actually, the Spurs I believe have had a winning record with Joey reffing since the Duncan incident. I think the Nets got screwed with Ed Malloy reffing tonight. Heat didn't lose one game last year I believe with him as a ref.

Exactly. Joey has been trying to make it up to us ever since tbh.

Dex
05-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Joey seems to have been the lesser of evils in recent years, but still...you never know when some whack-ass, Joey Crawford call is going to come out of the blue and totally fuck the game.

DarrinS
05-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Joey seems to have been the lesser of evils in recent years, but still...you never know when some whack-ass, Joey Crawford call is going to come out of the blue and totally fuck the game.

Not too worried about Joey Crawford these days. That said, I would prefer the other, darker Crawford.

Mugen
05-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Pretty much the least ideal situation to have Joey call a game. Would have much preferred to have him call Games 3 and 4 where we are on the road tbh.

With the way the 2nd half was called last game and Joey reffing tonight, Tiago picking up 2 fouls by the 8min mark is a near certainty tbh

Trainwreck2100
05-08-2014, 10:31 AM
You don't want Joey at home

Beaverfuzz
05-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Mae sure the clock operators put the right number of fouls up for each team.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Usually prefer Joey on the road, just in case.

Still, the truth of the matter is that if you're going to win big in the playoffs, you're going to have to deal with Joey, since he's worked every Finals since 1986 (excepting, of course, 2007, when he was suspended) and will work games in every round as the number of working officials in each round gets smaller and smaller. The only way to avoid Joey calling games is to get knocked out early.

It's true that the Spurs have, in recent years, done okay with Joey. They are 1-0 with him in these playoffs (Game 1 of the Dallas series), went 2-2 with him in the 2013 playoffs (wins at Golden State (Gm. 6), at Memphis (Gm. 3), and losses in Games 2 & 6 of the Finals -- twisting the knife again, they should have been 3-1), and 2-1 in the 2012 playoffs (win at LA Clippers (Gm. 4), vs. OKC (Gm. 1), loss at OKC (Gm. 6) - the debacle that it was).

So, 5-3 in the last 3 playoff years with 2 wins at home, plus the insanity of 6.

Game 6 of the 2012 West Finals remains a cautionary tale, I suppose (but I think Bill Kennedy and Rodney Mott had a whole lot to do with the way that played out).

Ultimately, if you play well -- like the Spurs did in Game 1 -- you largely take the officials out of the game.

MeloHype
05-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Glad it isn't Tony brothers

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Still, the truth of the matter is that if you're going to win big in the playoffs, you're going to have to deal with Joey, since he's worked every Finals since 1986 (excepting, of course, 2007, when he was suspended) and will work games in every round as the number of working officials in each round gets smaller and smaller. The only way to avoid Joey calling games is to get knocked out early.

It's true that the Spurs have, in recent years, done okay with Joey. They are 1-0 with him in these playoffs (Game 1 of the Dallas series), went 2-2 with him in the 2013 playoffs (wins at Golden State (Gm. 6), at Memphis (Gm. 3), and losses in Games 2 & 6 of the Finals -- twisting the knife again, they should have been 3-1), and 2-1 in the 2012 playoffs (win at LA Clippers (Gm. 4), vs. OKC (Gm. 1), loss at OKC (Gm. 6) - the debacle that it was).

So, 5-3 in the last 3 playoff years with 2 wins at home, plus the insanity of 6.

Game 6 of the 2012 West Finals remains a cautionary tale, I suppose (but I think Bill Kennedy and Rodney Mott had a whole lot to do with the way that played out).

Ultimately, if you play well -- like the Spurs did in Game 1 -- you largely take the officials out of the game.

Bill Kennedy was the other ref that the Heat didn't lose with. Bill and Ed Excellent Adventure of leading the Heat to the title.

That said I don't mind Joey but I agree with most that I would rather have him on the road. Spurs almost always win with the other Crawford (Dan is the man) reffing.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Bill Kennedy was the other ref that the Heat didn't lose with. Bill and Ed Excellent Adventure of leading the Heat to the title.

Heat were 2-2 in the 2013 playoffs with Malloy and 2-1 with Kennedy. (Spurs were 3-1 in 2013 with Malloy and 1-2 with Kennedy, by comparison).

And not to be an ass about it, but since 2012, the Spurs are only 3-4 in playoff games with Danny Crawford (lost Game 3 at OKC in 2012; won Game 1 v. LAL in 2013; lost Game 2 v. GST in 2013; won Game 1 v. MEM in 2013; won Game 3 v. MIA in 2013; lost Game 7 at MIA in 2013; lost Game 2 v. DAL in 2014)

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Heat were 2-2 in the 2013 playoffs with Malloy and 2-1 with Kennedy. (Spurs were 3-1 in 2013 with Malloy and 1-2 with Kennedy, by comparison).

And not to be an ass about it, but since 2012, the Spurs are only 3-4 in playoff games with Danny Crawford (lost Game 3 at OKC in 2012; won Game 1 v. LAL in 2013; lost Game 2 v. GST in 2013; won Game 1 v. MEM in 2013; won Game 3 v. MIA in 2013; lost Game 7 at MIA in 2013; lost Game 2 v. DAL in 2014)

Well, I guess I never realize that b/c with Crawford the games seem to be called fair. Game 3 against OKC, they just came and whooped the Spurs. Game 2 against G/S and Dallas, the same thing. Come to think only the Heat game 7 was a close game. I guess that is why I never had an issue with Dan Crawford b/c the refs didn't really decide any of those games. I always thought he calls the games fairly, even in other playoff series.

Spurs lost game 7 last year for way more reasons than the refs.

BillMc
05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
I'll never forgive Joey for the noncall in the Western Conference Finals against LA in 2008, when Fisher mugged Barry on the final shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR4m0ZThDYY

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Well, I guess I never realize that b/c with Crawford the games seem to be called fair. Game 3 against OKC, they just came and whooped the Spurs. Game 2 against G/S and Dallas, the same thing. Come to think only the Heat game 7 was a close game. I guess that is why I never had an issue with Dan Crawford b/c the refs didn't really decide any of those games. I always thought he calls the games fairly, even in other playoff series.

Spurs lost game 7 last year for way more reasons than the refs.

Agree with all of that. Was just disputing your claim that the "Spurs almost always win" when Danny Crawford calls the game.

Robz4000
05-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Portland confirmed for shooting 50 FTs tonight.

spursfan1000
05-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Mae sure the clock operators put the right number of fouls up for each team.
:lol

Cry Havoc
05-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Crawford isn't even the official I worry about most anymore. True, one team might get the shaft and it's better to have Joey on the road, but Crawford could just as easily hose the Blazers.

He is a dude that literally gives zero fucks. And despite the fact that he's sucks up the spotlight like he's a collapsed supernova, I'd prefer Joey (a guy operating with his own agenda) than someone like Kennedy (who seems to always go to great lengths to make series longer).

Hopefully the two evils will balance themselves tonight and even if we get screwed by a few calls, the Blazers do as well and the FT disparity will be reasonable.

Is it sad that we're an ultra-aggressive team with a ton of points coming in the paint, and I'm hoping for us to only be down 5-8 FTs... at home?

ElNono
05-08-2014, 12:54 PM
:pop: Make shots, forget about the officials

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2014, 12:57 PM
:pop: Make shots, forget about the officials

Indeed.

Budkin
05-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Joey should never be allowed to ref a Spurs game again. It's a fucking joke.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
05-08-2014, 01:12 PM
I believe someone ask Joey about his photo and he said he had a chuckle over it. To me, it seems like Joey (and the Spurs) have got over the Duncan incident by now.

http://www.vibe.com/sites/vibe.com/files/styles/main_image/public/article_images/la-sp-sn-tim-duncan-tony-parker-20121203-001.jpeg

Phenomanul
05-08-2014, 04:28 PM

He did allow the Heat to set their defense on the final play in regulation time of Game 6 by stopping the clock while Ginobili was about to inbound the ball to Leonard (only Rashard Lewis was back there). Pop was livid.

baseline bum
05-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Got scared when I saw the thread title, as I thought Bill meant Bill Kennedy.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2014, 05:20 PM
He did allow the Heat to set their defense on the final play in regulation time of Game 6 by stopping the clock while Ginobili was about to inbound the ball to Leonard (only Rashard Lewis was back there). Pop was livid.

They had to review that shot at that very moment. Think about the consequences if they hadn't: if Allen's foot had been on the line, the Spurs would have led by 1 and the strategies for both teams would have been very different in the ensuing seconds. Had the officials waited to review, then determined that Allen's shot should have only been a two, but all of the game clock had expired, Miami would have lost a chance to extend the game (and would have lost the game); if Allen's foot had been on the line, the Spurs' approach to that last bit of time would have also been dramatically different. If you don't review the call right then and there, and everyone agrees to live with whatever was called in real time, Spurs fans would have burned down the NBA offices if it had turned out that Allen's shot should have only been a two. I think you either have to use replay there and figure out that what was called was correct (or correct what was called) so that both teams know what's happening, or you just don't use replay and live with the potential of a horrendously incorrect call. I think most people would prefer to go with the replay and have some certainty.

The rulebook (I'm fairly certain) provides for review at the next clock stoppage when the clock is under 2:00 in the 4th quarter and the rules provide expressly that the clock stops on any made field goal in the last 2 minutes of the 4th. So, the rules themselves call for review immediately after the made basket in that circumstance, which is exactly what happened.

Pop didn't like it, but the Game 6 crew followed the rules (and acted appropriately, given what was on the line) to be sure that the play was reviewed immediately to be sure that both teams knew what the actual score was.

SnakeBoy
05-08-2014, 05:39 PM
“The Duncan thing probably changed my life,” Crawford tells the Times. “It was just — you come to the realization that maybe the way you’ve been doing things is not the proper way and you have to regroup, not only on the court but off the court.

“I had seen a sports psychologist before that. But after, I saw him a lot more. His name is Joel Fish. He’s worked with a lot of athletes. It gave me a new perspective.”

Crawford has been fair since that time, nothing to worry about. Besides if the Spurs lose tonight ya'll are going to blame Pop 1st, Manu 2nd, and TP 3rd.

05-08-2014, 05:49 PM
“The Duncan thing probably changed my life,” Crawford tells the Times. “It was just — you come to the realization that maybe the way you’ve been doing things is not the proper way and you have to regroup, not only on the court but off the court.

“I had seen a sports psychologist before that. But after, I saw him a lot more. His name is Joel Fish. He’s worked with a lot of athletes. It gave me a new perspective.”

Crawford has been fair since that time, nothing to worry about. Besides if the Spurs lose tonight ya'll are going to blame Pop 1st, Manu 2nd, and TP 3rd.

Refs 4th

xmas1997
05-08-2014, 05:59 PM
I think the fans make more out of this than Crawford or TD does.
I think it is ancient history.

xmas1997
05-08-2014, 06:01 PM

:lmao
You make some very valid points.
Plus they will find a way to blame Blair for all their woes too even though he is a Mav.

DesignatedT
05-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Better to have Joey on the road.

moisaenz
05-08-2014, 07:10 PM
I think the fans make more out of this than Crawford or TD does.
I think it is ancient history.

Crawford should be included in Duncan's biography..

Phenomanul
05-09-2014, 12:59 PM
They had to review that shot at that very moment. Think about the consequences if they hadn't: if Allen's foot had been on the line, the Spurs would have led by 1 and the strategies for both teams would have been very different in the ensuing seconds. Had the officials waited to review, then determined that Allen's shot should have only been a two, but all of the game clock had expired, Miami would have lost a chance to extend the game (and would have lost the game); if Allen's foot had been on the line, the Spurs' approach to that last bit of time would have also been dramatically different. If you don't review the call right then and there, and everyone agrees to live with whatever was called in real time, Spurs fans would have burned down the NBA offices if it had turned out that Allen's shot should have only been a two. I think you either have to use replay there and figure out that what was called was correct (or correct what was called) so that both teams know what's happening, or you just don't use replay and live with the potential of a horrendously incorrect call. I think most people would prefer to go with the replay and have some certainty.

The rulebook (I'm fairly certain) provides for review at the next clock stoppage when the clock is under 2:00 in the 4th quarter and the rules provide expressly that the clock stops on any made field goal in the last 2 minutes of the 4th. So, the rules themselves call for review immediately after the made basket in that circumstance, which is exactly what happened.

Pop didn't like it, but the Game 6 crew followed the rules (and acted appropriately, given what was on the line) to be sure that the play was reviewed immediately to be sure that both teams knew what the actual score was.

Fair enough... but Allen was clearly behind the line (from the vantage points of all three officials)... It's unfortunate that Allen's travel, prior to the shot wasn't a reviewable violation.

Phenomanul
05-09-2014, 01:04 PM
The good part is that the Spurs made their shots last night and took the officials out of the equation...

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2014, 01:19 PM
The good part is that the Spurs made their shots last night and took the officials out of the equation...

That's always the best way to handle it.

Malice
05-09-2014, 03:02 PM
No one saw the awkward moment Crawford and TD had during a dead ball? Crawford was heading to the scores table, and TD was in his way. TD had his classic reaction to it lol.