Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crawford in the house! We're screwed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just made this comment in the other ref thread ...
    I can sense two early foul calls on Tiago coming either tonight or in the first game on the road ... book it!

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, the Spurs I believe have had a winning record with Joey reffing since the Duncan incident. I think the Nets got screwed with Ed Malloy reffing tonight. Heat didn't lose one game last year I believe with him as a ref.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joey was actually very fair in the Finals last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, the Spurs I believe have had a winning record with Joey reffing since the Duncan incident. I think the Nets got screwed with Ed Malloy reffing tonight. Heat didn't lose one game last year I believe with him as a ref.
    Exactly. Joey has been trying to make it up to us ever since tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joey seems to have been the lesser of evils in recent years, but still...you never know when some whack-ass, Joey Crawford call is going to come out of the blue and totally the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joey seems to have been the lesser of evils in recent years, but still...you never know when some whack-ass, Joey Crawford call is going to come out of the blue and totally the game.

Not too worried about Joey Crawford these days. That said, I would prefer the other, darker Crawford.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much the least ideal situation to have Joey call a game. Would have much preferred to have him call Games 3 and 4 where we are on the road tbh.

With the way the 2nd half was called last game and Joey reffing tonight, Tiago picking up 2 fouls by the 8min mark is a near certainty tbh

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't want Joey at home

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mae sure the clock operators put the right number of fouls up for each team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Usually prefer Joey on the road, just in case.

Still, the truth of the matter is that if you're going to win big in the playoffs, you're going to have to deal with Joey, since he's worked every Finals since 1986 (excepting, of course, 2007, when he was suspended) and will work games in every round as the number of working officials in each round gets smaller and smaller. The only way to avoid Joey calling games is to get knocked out early.

It's true that the Spurs have, in recent years, done okay with Joey. They are 1-0 with him in these playoffs (Game 1 of the Dallas series), went 2-2 with him in the 2013 playoffs (wins at Golden State (Gm. 6), at Memphis (Gm. 3), and losses in Games 2 & 6 of the Finals -- twisting the knife again, they should have been 3-1), and 2-1 in the 2012 playoffs (win at LA Clippers (Gm. 4), vs. OKC (Gm. 1), loss at OKC (Gm. 6) - the debacle that it was).

So, 5-3 in the last 3 playoff years with 2 wins at home, plus the insanity of 6.

Game 6 of the 2012 West Finals remains a cautionary tale, I suppose (but I think Bill Kennedy and Rodney Mott had a whole lot to do with the way that played out).

Ultimately, if you play well -- like the Spurs did in Game 1 -- you largely take the officials out of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad it isn't Tony brothers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still, the truth of the matter is that if you're going to win big in the playoffs, you're going to have to deal with Joey, since he's worked every Finals since 1986 (excepting, of course, 2007, when he was suspended) and will work games in every round as the number of working officials in each round gets smaller and smaller. The only way to avoid Joey calling games is to get knocked out early.

It's true that the Spurs have, in recent years, done okay with Joey. They are 1-0 with him in these playoffs (Game 1 of the Dallas series), went 2-2 with him in the 2013 playoffs (wins at Golden State (Gm. 6), at Memphis (Gm. 3), and losses in Games 2 & 6 of the Finals -- twisting the knife again, they should have been 3-1), and 2-1 in the 2012 playoffs (win at LA Clippers (Gm. 4), vs. OKC (Gm. 1), loss at OKC (Gm. 6) - the debacle that it was).

So, 5-3 in the last 3 playoff years with 2 wins at home, plus the insanity of 6.

Game 6 of the 2012 West Finals remains a cautionary tale, I suppose (but I think Bill Kennedy and Rodney Mott had a whole lot to do with the way that played out).

Ultimately, if you play well -- like the Spurs did in Game 1 -- you largely take the officials out of the game.
    Bill Kennedy was the other ref that the Heat didn't lose with. Bill and Ed Excellent Adventure of leading the Heat to the le.

That said I don't mind Joey but I agree with most that I would rather have him on the road. Spurs almost always win with the other Crawford (Dan is the man) reffing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Kennedy was the other ref that the Heat didn't lose with. Bill and Ed Excellent Adventure of leading the Heat to the le.
    Heat were 2-2 in the 2013 playoffs with Malloy and 2-1 with Kennedy. (Spurs were 3-1 in 2013 with Malloy and 1-2 with Kennedy, by comparison).

And not to be an ass about it, but since 2012, the Spurs are only 3-4 in playoff games with Danny Crawford (lost Game 3 at OKC in 2012; won Game 1 v. LAL in 2013; lost Game 2 v. GST in 2013; won Game 1 v. MEM in 2013; won Game 3 v. MIA in 2013; lost Game 7 at MIA in 2013; lost Game 2 v. DAL in 2014)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heat were 2-2 in the 2013 playoffs with Malloy and 2-1 with Kennedy. (Spurs were 3-1 in 2013 with Malloy and 1-2 with Kennedy, by comparison).

And not to be an ass about it, but since 2012, the Spurs are only 3-4 in playoff games with Danny Crawford (lost Game 3 at OKC in 2012; won Game 1 v. LAL in 2013; lost Game 2 v. GST in 2013; won Game 1 v. MEM in 2013; won Game 3 v. MIA in 2013; lost Game 7 at MIA in 2013; lost Game 2 v. DAL in 2014)
    Well, I guess I never realize that b/c with Crawford the games seem to be called fair. Game 3 against OKC, they just came and whooped the Spurs. Game 2 against G/S and Dallas, the same thing. Come to think only the Heat game 7 was a close game. I guess that is why I never had an issue with Dan Crawford b/c the refs didn't really decide any of those games. I always thought he calls the games fairly, even in other playoff series.

Spurs lost game 7 last year for way more reasons than the refs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll never forgive Joey for the noncall in the Western Conference Finals against LA in 2008, when Fisher mugged Barry on the final shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I guess I never realize that b/c with Crawford the games seem to be called fair. Game 3 against OKC, they just came and whooped the Spurs. Game 2 against G/S and Dallas, the same thing. Come to think only the Heat game 7 was a close game. I guess that is why I never had an issue with Dan Crawford b/c the refs didn't really decide any of those games. I always thought he calls the games fairly, even in other playoff series.

Spurs lost game 7 last year for way more reasons than the refs.
    Agree with all of that. Was just disputing your claim that the "Spurs almost always win" when Danny Crawford calls the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland confirmed for shooting 50 FTs tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mae sure the clock operators put the right number of fouls up for each team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crawford isn't even the official I worry about most anymore. True, one team might get the shaft and it's better to have Joey on the road, but Crawford could just as easily hose the Blazers.

He is a dude that literally gives zero s. And despite the fact that he's sucks up the spotlight like he's a collapsed supernova, I'd prefer Joey (a guy operating with his own agenda) than someone like Kennedy (who seems to always go to great lengths to make series longer).

Hopefully the two evils will balance themselves tonight and even if we get screwed by a few calls, the Blazers do as well and the FT disparity will be reasonable.

Is it sad that we're an ultra-aggressive team with a ton of points coming in the paint, and I'm hoping for us to only be down 5-8 FTs... at home?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make shots, forget about the officials

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make shots, forget about the officials
    Indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joey should never be allowed to ref a Spurs game again. It's a ing joke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe someone ask Joey about his photo and he said he had a chuckle over it. To me, it seems like Joey (and the Spurs) have got over the Duncan incident by now.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He did allow the Heat to set their defense on the final play in regulation time of Game 6 by stopping the clock while Ginobili was about to inbound the ball to Leonard (only Rashard Lewis was back there). Pop was livid.

Thread Information