PDA

View Full Version : Hey Nerds

I. Hustle
08-20-2015, 10:39 AM
I gots me a math question

I am putting together a kickball tournament with a bunch of people I know. I am trying to figure out the max number of teams I can have in the time allotted. Here are is the information.

3 fields
6 hours of play
Double elimination
Number of teams = X

I’m thinking each game will last 30 minutes or, if time permits, 45 minutes.

30 min a game = X number of teams
45 min a game = X number of teams

SpursforSix
08-20-2015, 11:11 AM

I am putting together a kickball tournament with a bunch of people I know. I am trying to figure out the max number of teams I can have in the time allotted. Here are is the information.

3 fields
6 hours of play
Double elimination
Number of teams = X

I'm not sure what you're axing. How many teams do you think you're going to have?
You should create divisions and then move them into a bracket. Seems like you could maximize use of the fields this way and also have a 3rd place game.

Without knowing more, my answer is 37.5789.

SpursforSix
08-20-2015, 11:13 AM
And how many fucking people do you know where having 3 fields for 6 hours is not enough time?

I. Hustle
08-20-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm talking about a lot of people.

I have to figure out the brackets.

I figured 36 games would be max too and I am going to scale it back a little from there. I was thinking 14-16 teams maybe

hater
08-20-2015, 12:24 PM
What kind of faggot plays kickball??

SpursforSix
08-20-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm talking about a lot of people.

I have to figure out the brackets.

I figured 36 games would be max too and I am going to scale it back a little from there. I was thinking 14-16 teams maybe

I'd forget about double elimination. If you have 16, I'd split them into 4 divisions of 4. Each plays the other 3 teams in their division. So everyone is guaranteed 3 games. Then take the top 2 teams in each division and put them in a bracket. Use some parameter like run differential to break ties.

If you have 14 teams, make 2 divisions of 4 where they play each other. Then create 2 divisions with 3 teams each and each plays the 3 teams in the other bracket. If you do this, take the winner of each division and then the next 4 best teams by record (using tiebreaker if needed).

RandomGuy
08-20-2015, 12:46 PM

3 fields
6 hours of play
Double elimination
Number of teams = X

3 fields times six hours of play = 18 hours of available time

Divided by 45 minutes per game:
18/.75

24 games total possible.

double elimination would require at least two, if not 3 games

two teams would require, then 2 or 3 games

four teams would require twice as many, 4 to 6 games

eight teams would require twice as many 8-12 games

16 teams would require 16 to 24 games

Roughly about 16 teams. That would give you a buffer to allow for the normal human sluggishness in changing fields, substituting players, arguing about calls, and fistfights between parents, and police intervention in fist-fights.

I'm sure there is some algebra involved, but one doesn't need much math to walk through it.

SpursforSix
08-20-2015, 01:01 PM
The problem with double elimination is that you'll have a hard time preparing a schedule. You won't know which teams will be eliminated and how many games it's going to take them. It will be a mess.

I. Hustle
08-20-2015, 02:58 PM
OOohhhh yeah! You know I like it when you talk dirty to me.

I. Hustle
08-20-2015, 03:00 PM
I guess what I am looking for is for everyone to get some PT. I would hate to do 1 game and then you're done.

I. Hustle
08-20-2015, 03:01 PM
That's what I was thinking too. I want to be able to allow for some bs time in between.

SpursforSix
08-20-2015, 03:28 PM
I guess what I am looking for is for everyone to get some PT. I would hate to do 1 game and then you're done.

Yeah. I just gave you a solution earlier. It's how I run our LARP tourneys. Everyone is happy.

I. Hustle
08-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Yeah. That looks like it could work well too.

You should talk to my buddy CTOA. He is WAY into LARPing as well.

Aztecfan03
08-21-2015, 01:32 AM
The problem with double elimination is that you'll have a hard time preparing a schedule. You won't know which teams will be eliminated and how many games it's going to take them. It will be a mess.
it's not that hard to number each game and create a winners and losers bracket.

SpursforSix
08-21-2015, 09:44 AM
it's not that hard to number each game and create a winners and losers bracket.

It's impossible.

I. Hustle
08-21-2015, 04:12 PM
It's impossible.

How? I use that every year for a bball tourney that I am in. I just don't have access to 3 courts during that time. The extra court threw me off a little.

But the winners bracket and losers bracket usually works out. You lose once and go to the losers bracket. From there you have to win all the way in order to make it to the "championship" game.

SpursforSix
08-21-2015, 05:04 PM
How? I use that every year for a bball tourney that I am in. I just don't have access to 3 courts during that time. The extra court threw me off a little.

But the winners bracket and losers bracket usually works out. You lose once and go to the losers bracket. From there you have to win all the way in order to make it to the "championship" game.

Lame.

So you have access to 3 softball fields and thousands of friends to play but can't Secure 3 bball courts? Small time.

SpursforSix
08-21-2015, 05:43 PM

Hey...do you remember it being "Berenstein Bears" or "Berenstain Bears"?

I. Hustle
08-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Lame.

So you have access to 3 softball fields and thousands of friends to play but can't Secure 3 bball courts? Small time.

LMAO

:depressed

TDMVPDPOY
08-24-2015, 09:53 AM

3 fields
6 hours of play
Double elimination
Number of teams = X

u trying to run a business?

when i was in vietnam on numerous trips each year, i see alot of clowns buying or renting land then turning it into outdoor soccer fields the size of basketball courts, and running small tournaments where they charge 10bucks an hour...they operate like 24/7 ....

I. Hustle
08-24-2015, 09:55 AM
No business, homie. Just one day with a bunch of friends and fam to have fun. I rented a place with fields and we are just going to get together and have a good time. Nobody is getting charged.