PDA

View Full Version : Things we learned from this season..

spursistan
05-16-2016, 07:02 PM
in bullet points..

1- Pop isn't a Top 5 playoffs coach in the NBA.

2- Rest is overrated..Kawhi/LMA didn't look ready/conditioned for big minutes in playoffs after spending the whole year getting babied with their workload like some +35 year-olds...as the series wore on, they both looked winded late in the 4th Quarters and their jumper was barely hitting the rim..Another Pop shtick bites the dust..

3- His limited skillset aside, Danny Green is a proven playoff performer despite reg season struggles..I would only package him in a trade if there is a big fish out there (i.e Durant..)

4- Countervailing the pace and space juggernaut of the Warriors with ISO ball and interior scoring would only be optimal if you had prime Duncan and MJ on the roster..Time for Pop to re-balance his gambit..

5- That's how far removed from title contention this team is without a good TD/Ginobili in the same run...even a really amazing Tim in 2013 wasn't enough to finish the job..Lesson: lower your expectations for the upcoming few years..unless we hit another home run in the draft or FA, we won't be sniffing another title any time soon..

LkrFan
05-16-2016, 07:12 PM
#2 is a death knell. Phil hardly ever rested Shaq, Kobe, or Pau. Didn't matter if they were winded or in foul trouble. To keep your stars on the floor for big minutes puts tremendous pressure on the opposition. Sure, them Lakers would lose a few battles (RS) but they were ready for the war (playoffs).

Pop would rather have DNP-CDs and ensure a player is rested, rather than battle tested. I think this is a major reason why Spurs never repeated and why OKC was able to beat y'all.

DPG21920
05-16-2016, 07:17 PM
#2 is a death knell. Phil hardly ever rested Shaq, Kobe, or Pau. Didn't matter if they were winded or in foul trouble. To keep your stars on the floor for big minutes puts tremendous pressure on the opposition. Sure, them Lakers would lose a few battles (RS) but they were ready for the war (playoffs).

Pop would rather have DNP-CDs and ensure a player is rested, rather than battle tested. I think this is a major reason why Spurs never repeated and why OKC was able to beat y'all.

What do you know, an actual basketball opinion versus some stupid really unoriginal trolling. Way to go big man.

Robz4000
05-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Agree with everything but 5. Spurs have the core and enough assets/role players to contend with a couple additions next season, especially if Kawhi's game develops further.

HI-FI
05-16-2016, 07:21 PM

i don't think rest is the problem per se. You gotta find a balance where they aren't overworked but not too rusty. Pop was masterful at this in 2014, but he's been shitting the bed recently. Actually he's sharted the bed quite a bit in the past, even when Duncan was badass.

Sadly I agree with number 5, I think Parker's contract is going to continue to hurt this team. It feels like the team has been on an extended farewell tour for awhile a la the Eagles.

coachmac87
05-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Kawhi is the only player that isn't 30 that sometimes gets rest. 30,32,33,33,35,35,35,38,39,40 are the age of players Pop had..so I understand why he's does.

james evans
05-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Kawhi is the only player that isn't 30 that sometimes gets rest. 30,32,33,33,35,35,35,38,39,40 are the age of players Pop had..so I understand why he's does.
30? he isn't even 25!!! Rest is hurting him more than helping cuz if u rest rest rest, they aren't ready for battle. You train as you fight.

coachmac87
05-16-2016, 07:47 PM
30 is Aldridge.

Keepin' it real
05-16-2016, 08:02 PM
in bullet points..

1- Pop isn't a Top 5 playoffs coach in NBA.

2- Rest is overrated..Kawhi/LMA didn't look ready/conditioned for big minutes in playoffs after spending the whole year getting babied with their workload like some +35 year-olds...as the series wore on, they both looked winded late in the 4th Quarters and their jumper was barely hitting the rim..Another Pop shtick bites the dust..

3- His limited skillset aside, Danny Green is a proven playoff performer despite reg season struggles..I would only package him in a trade if there is a big fish out there (i.e Durant..)

4- Countervailing the pace an space juggernaut of the Warriors with ISO ball and interior scoring would only be optimal if you had prime Duncan and MJ on the roster..Time for Pop to re-balance his gambit..

5- That's how far removed from title contention this team is without a good TD/Ginobili at the same run...even a really amazing Tim in 2013 wasn't enough to finish the job..Lesson: lower your expectations for the upcoming few years..unless we hit another home run in the draft or FA, we won't be sniffing another title any time soon..

1. Disagree.
2. Agree 100%. Pop's resting of players makes them soft IMO.
3. Ambivalent about Green. He sucked against OKC in 2012, was Jekyll and Hyde in 2013 finals, was good in 2014, sucked balls against LAC in 2015 until game 7 and played well this year.
4. Disagree. The Spurs cornerstones are Iso players. Get used to it.
5. I'm not lowering my expectations because I'm not expecting titles post-Duncan (barring the addition of another superstar and/or a new young coach to re-energize the franchise). I'm expecting entertaining, humble playoff teams that I can continue to support for years to come. There's nothing wrong with that.

SAGirl
05-16-2016, 08:08 PM
#2 they had non help and were carrying a full roster of geriatrics save Danny. How did LeBron look by himself against the entire GSW in the Finals. Once it is you and a sidekick against the world it's too much. That's not even the Spurs way. Leonard bc he's a two way player dealing at times with the hyperathlete that is Russ or Durant both of who had a cakewalk on the defensive end comparably, LMA 7bc he was the only young big banging, having to play center whenever TD wasn't in and carrying the offensive load against a hyperathletic frontline.

Slippy
05-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Ya point 2 became clearer as the series wore on.

Pop conditioned them alright

SuperCam
05-16-2016, 08:13 PM
The rest shtick by Poopovich is so faggy I wish Silver would take a page out of Stern's jewbook and fine the hell out of the organization next time Poop tries that bullshit. If you don't want the 35+ year olds to play back to backs or the 33+ year olds to go for 40 minutes a night during the reg season that's one thing, but these are the best conditioned athletes in the world you fucking kidding me with this DNP-Pinkeye garbage? We got 24 to 28 year olds with the best, most athletic black DNA in the history of human kind, they don't need rest especially in the goddamn playoffs.

AI had seasons where he averaged 43+ in the reg season and 46+ in the post season during his twenties. There's so much bullshit between tv timeouts and the bazillion coaches timeouts that it's not like they don't get a dozen or more breaks throughout the game anyways. I ran cross country at an all district level when i was 17 years old I could run for forty eight minutes straight no problem and I didn't have the elite DNA or trainers access that these athletes do.

Snaq O'Meal
05-16-2016, 08:18 PM

You're not wrong.

Which is why Phil always has an edge over Pop as a playoffs coach.

Kawhitstorm
05-16-2016, 08:38 PM
5- That's how far removed from title contention this team is without a good TD/Ginobili in the same run...even a really amazing Tim in 2013 wasn't enough to finish the job..Lesson: lower your expectations for the upcoming few years..unless we hit another home run in the draft or FA, we won't be sniffing another title any time soon..

Injuries made 2013 possible, tbh. OKC was the best team in the West that season, they had the #1 offense & #4 defense.:lol

Basically, Curry's ankle will keep the window open as long as the team is ready to jump on the opportunity.

tholdren
05-16-2016, 08:38 PM
The rest shtick by Poopovich is so faggy I wish Silver would take a page out of Stern's jewbook and fine the hell out of the organization next time Poop tries that bullshit. If you don't want the 35+ year olds to play back to backs or the 33+ year olds to go for 40 minutes a night during the reg season that's one thing, but these are the best conditioned athletes in the world you fucking kidding me with this DNP-Pinkeye garbage? We got 24 to 28 year olds with the best, most athletic black DNA in the history of human kind, they don't need rest especially in the goddamn playoffs.

AI had seasons where he averaged 43+ in the reg season and 46+ in the post season during his twenties. There's so much bullshit between tv timeouts and the bazillion coaches timeouts that it's not like they don't get a dozen or more breaks throughout the game anyways. I ran cross country at an all district level when i was 17 years old I could run for forty eight minutes straight no problem and I didn't have the elite DNA or trainers access that these athletes do.
They are not the best conditioned athletes in the world, but you're right about the rest.

Kawhitstorm
05-16-2016, 08:54 PM

The DNP-Rest is to PREVENT injuries & the low minutes is b/c players are most likely to pick up muscle injuries when they are fatigued. Look at the Bulls starters in the past 5 seasons, all of them have played high minutes & all of them have been chronically injured.

This only applies to those who expend energy on BOTH sides of the court, cats like James Harden can get away by taking a breather on defense.:lol

There are also a couple of highly conditioned players who never get injured but that's like 5% of the league.

tholdren
05-16-2016, 09:21 PM
The DNP-Rest is to PREVENT injuries & the low minutes is b/c players are most likely to pick up muscle injuries when they are fatigued. Look at the Bulls starters in the past 5 seasons, all of them have played high minutes & all of them have been chronically injured.

This only applies to those who expend energy on BOTH sides of the court, cats like James Harden can get away by taking a breather on defense.:lol

There are also a couple of highly conditioned players who never get injured but that's like 5% of the league.
LOL

K...
05-16-2016, 09:33 PM
1....Pop doesn't suck. Your just emo we lost.

2....Rest.....it is physically impossible to model a 7 game series against the leagues best shooting SF and a crazy PG. Same with LMA very few 2x towers. no one yet has shown you can be the teams best defender and first option without being gassed. I have a hard time believing Lebron isn't a worse athlete and he paced himself even in his prime years.

J_Paco
05-16-2016, 10:13 PM
Injuries made 2013 possible, tbh. OKC was the best team in the West that season, they had the #1 offense & #4 defense.:lol

Basically, Curry's ankle will keep the window open as long as the team is ready to jump on the opportunity.

Shut the fuck up. The Spurs had the 7th best offensive rating and 3rd best defensive rating in 2013, which they managed to replicate the following season.

The window will only "re open" if Pop and the rest of the front office can find younger, better and more athletic pieces around Aldridge and Leonard. So many older players on one team isn't getting it done against two teams like Oklahoma City and Golden State.

Better depth and versatility is what's needed, people.

tmtcsc
05-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Kawhi was tired because he was busting his ass at both ends of the floor. If he had more help rebounding, handling the ball, defending, he would have been fine.

SASdynasty!
05-16-2016, 10:58 PM
In light of OKC beating the Warriors in GS, for all we know we were a few really bad whistles away from the title this year.

spursistan
05-16-2016, 11:07 PM
KD just played 46 minutes :lol

TheGoldStandard
05-16-2016, 11:09 PM

He'll be ready to play 46 next game too.. lol.. discipline is necessary throughout the whole season to be successful later.

SuperCam
05-16-2016, 11:11 PM

Yup just like 27 year old elite athletes are capable of doing

therealtruth
05-16-2016, 11:18 PM
i don't think rest is the problem per se. You gotta find a balance where they aren't overworked but not too rusty. Pop was masterful at this in 2014, but he's been shitting the bed recently. Actually he's sharted the bed quite a bit in the past, even when Duncan was badass.

Sadly I agree with number 5, I think Parker's contract is going to continue to hurt this team. It feels like the team has been on an extended farewell tour for awhile a la the Eagles.

That goes back to the adjustments thing. In '14 more players played well. You have to be able to go with who is playing well and rely on them more.

spursistan
05-16-2016, 11:21 PM
just watching these two teams (okc/GSW), Spurs need to get more size and young legs..if TD/Manu retire, jettison all +35 year-olds and move on..I'm honestly not even eager for Pau Gasol types after how West turned out..

Kawhitstorm
05-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Kawhi was tired because he was busting his ass at both ends of the floor. If he had more help rebounding, handling the ball, defending, he would have been fine.

Durant had no legs in the 4th quarter tonight b/c he actually had to play defense instead of hiding on Danny.:lol Even Klay couldn't hit a shot despite not being asked to score on isolations like KD/Kawhi nor having to guard WB for 40 minutes (they switched a LOT).

Stabula
05-16-2016, 11:24 PM
You people are idiots and you're so traumatized from getting raped on the glass by OKC that you're missing the point of rest. The regular season is an awful grind and it takes its toll on your body, the idea of rest is injury prevention. The number one goal for any team should be to make the playoffs and go in HEALTHY. We accomplished that and the rest likely helped.

spursgu
05-16-2016, 11:28 PM
Pop has been the downfall of the Spurs the last two seasons.

Kawhitstorm
05-16-2016, 11:43 PM
just watching these two teams (okc/GSW+, Spurs need to get more size and young legs..if TD/Manu retire, jettison all +35 year-olds and move on..I'm honestly not even eager for Pau Gasol types after how West turned out..

Athletic 7ft dudes aren't going to fall from the sky so you have to pick up every skilled big man that isn't washed up if they can be had for the MLE. Pau/LMA is unplayable against small ball but Pau can play backup center instead of D-Worst.:lol

Guys like Ian/Biyambo(6'8") are going to get overpaid despite not being starters on contenders & Whiteside/Ezeli(6'9" w/ knee issues) will most likely get max offers.

I wouldn't mind Hoford if LMA didn't rebound like a bitch. LMA/Hoford will get hammered on the boards like Bosh/Bron. Plus, if Horford eats up the cap space then there is nothing left to acquire a quality wing player to replace Manu.

The solution might be to sign someone like Batum & play Kawhi at the 4 to close out games, at least in the playoffs. That's assuming Pau would sign for the MLE & at least eat up minutes in the regular season. Also, if Pop wants to go big then you can roll w/ a Batum/Danny/Kawhi/LMA/Pau line up against OKC.

The position that need young legs is PG & that can be addressed by trading for Teague who is one of the quickest guards in the league.

Hoops Czar
05-16-2016, 11:48 PM
Athletic 7ft dudes aren't going to fall from the sky so you have to pick up every skilled big man that isn't washed up if they can be had for the MLE. Pau/LMA is unplayable against small ball but Pau can play backup center instead of D-Worst.:lol

Do you really think Pau would sign with the Spurs to be a back up C? :lol And there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Ezeli gets a max contract offer.

SAGirl
05-16-2016, 11:57 PM
just watching these two teams (okc/GSW), Spurs need to get more size and young legs..if TD/Manu retire, jettison all +35 year-olds and move on..I'm honestly not even eager for Pau Gasol types after how West turned out..
+1

Kawhitstorm
05-17-2016, 12:09 AM
Do you really think Pau would sign with the Spurs to be a back up C? :lol

I'm talking about not playing the Pau/LMA frontline ONLY against small-ball lineups. Kawhi isn't going to play 4 for an entire season, even LeBron refused to do it until the 4th quarter.

And there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Ezeli gets a max contract offer.

Tristan Thomson says "Hi"

tmtcsc
05-17-2016, 12:12 AM

Spurs should be very eager to add that sort of talent, at that height, at his salary. He had a great year in Chicago and would be a tremendous add to the Spurs. They don't need to get more athletic at every position necessarily. We definitely need someone who has energy and can grab a fucking rebound though.

Hoops Czar
05-17-2016, 12:19 AM
Tristan Thomson says "Hi"

Lebron demanded the Cavs resign him and he has Cleveland's balls in a vice grip. Upset the king and he could literally walk out after every season because of his forever 1 year contract status. What leverage does Ezeli and his 7.0 points/5.6 rebounds/1.1 blocks/ per game have?

He played 8 minutes tonight and had 3 points and 4 fouls. This is the kind of player a team is going to build around?

Kawhitstorm
05-17-2016, 01:41 AM
Lebron demanded the Cavs resign him and he has Cleveland's balls in a vice grip. Upset the king and he could literally walk out after every season because of his forever 1 year contract status. What leverage does Ezeli and his 7.0 points/5.6 rebounds/1.1 blocks/ per game have?

Bogut is breakdown & he actually got benched in the Finals against the Cavs. He also got benched in the 4th quarter against the Blazers who could actually go after Ezeli w/ the max money they reserved for Kanter. Per 36, Ezeli is averaging 15/12/2 which is essentially Dwight Howard numbers.

Hoops Czar
05-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Bogut is breakdown & he actually got benched in the Finals against the Cavs. He also got benched in the 4th quarter against the Blazers who could actually go after Ezeli w/ the max money they reserved for Kanter. Per 36, Ezeli is averaging 15/12/2 which is essentially Dwight Howard numbers.

If were going by per, Wouldn't the Blazers rather have Boban who's averaging 21/14/2 per 36? I would kill to see some team pay Boban max money to go away but, we both know that's an impossibility. It would have to take an unbelievable amount of stupid to offer a 3rd year player who's only started 61 games in his professional career and never averaged more than 7 points and 6 rebounds, max money.

Kawhitstorm
05-17-2016, 03:40 PM
If were going by per, Wouldn't the Blazers rather have Boban who's averaging 21/14/2 per 36? I would kill to see some team pay Boban max money to go away but, we both know that's an impossibility. It would have to take an unbelievable amount of stupid to offer a 3rd year player who's only started 61 games in his professional career and never averaged more than 7 points and 6 rebounds, max money.

Ezeli gets minutes over Bogut in the playoffs, including the FINALS meanwhile Boban can't even get minutes over D-Worst.:lol He's better than Bogut against small-ball teams which is the future of the league. I remember last season when he sonned Dwight in the WCF.

0rc9c257Nuc

You have stiffs like Asik getting 11 mill per under the old CBA & you expect a team like the Blazers not to offer close to the rookie max to Ezeli:

DGxSu7TYdfk

SAGirl
05-17-2016, 03:46 PM
^^^ Ezeli the pick that was traded to dump Jefferson.

Hoops Czar
05-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Ezeli gets minutes over Bogut in the playoffs, including the FINALS meanwhile Boban can't even get minutes over D-Worst.:lol He's better than Bogut against small-ball teams which is the future of the league. I remember last season when he sonned Dwight in the WCF.

0rc9c257Nuc

You have stiffs like Asik getting 11 mill per under the old CBA & you expect a team like the Blazers not to offer close to the rookie max to Ezeli:

DGxSu7TYdfk

It's either Ezeli or the corpse of Varejao this year or Ognjen Kuzmic last year. :lol He's been the only backup to Bogut on the roster the last two seasons.

A wrong doesn't make a right. New Orleans is going to regret maxing out Asik if they haven't already. :lol I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the blazers. Does the organization have stupid written all over their forehead? Ezeli is a nice piece but, not a player you build a team around. It would be completely irresponsible of any franchise to dole out max money to a bench player who's yet to average 17 MPG unless you see Portland trading Plumlee in the near future. I just use the Boban example to show you how useless PER is, not that FrankenSpur should get max money.:lol

Kawhitstorm
05-17-2016, 04:43 PM
A wrong doesn't make a right. New Orleans is going to regret maxing out Asik if they haven't already. :lol I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the blazers. Does the organization have stupid written all over their forehead?

They offered Kanter the max last summer b/c they had the cap space but nobody else worth signing. They need a rim protector & Ezeli is one of the best rim protectors in the league: http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2016/1/30/10875808/festus-ezeli-is-one-of-the-leagues-efficient-rim-protectors

He also cucked 'em in the 2nd series: http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2016/5/4/11589550/warriors-vs-blazers-video-analysis-2016-highlights-festus-ezeli-defense

Ezeli is a nice piece but, not a player you build a team around. It would be completely irresponsible of any franchise to dole out max money to a player coming off the bench and who's yet to average 17 MPG unless you see Portland trading Plumlee in the near future.

They paid Aminu & Ed Davis over their market price when they were bench players on crappy teams b/c they gamble on potential. Neil Olshey drafted Aminu in the lotto when he was a RAW player, so that should tell you something. Besides, Plumlee struggles against physical centers & isn't a good finisher in traffic so they do need a center like Ezeli that's young enough so he could be part of their core.

I just use the Boban example to show you how useless PER is, not that FrankenSpur should get max money.:lol

Again, you are comparing apples to oranges. Boban can't keep up w/ his own shadow while Ezeli is one of the best PnR defenders in the league.:lol

TD 21
05-17-2016, 05:20 PM

Gasol is significantly better than West, but I get the gist.

On the one hand, out of realistic options, Gasol is more than likely the clear cut best possible starting center available to them. On the other hand, he's another old, slow guy, who could easily experience further precipitous decline next season and he wouldn't address certain needs.

Ultimately, if he can be signed, while still allowing them to address their other needs and the other realistic options are the Aldrich's and Plumlee's of the world, it would be difficult to say no.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-17-2016, 06:24 PM
9/15 regular season losses came on 1 day rest. Losses in games 2 and 5 were on 1 day rest. This team was too old, too unathletic, too slow.

Also, so much over-reaction for a series we lost in 3 mins of bad basketball in games 2 and 5. If a few breaks went our way we win that series in 5. We need to get younger and more athletic, and change the style a bit back towards movement, but we still have two top 15 players and a bright future.

Mikeanaro
05-17-2016, 07:40 PM
6- Enough with so much ball distribution, it consumes so much time and nobody wants to shoot the new game is about shooting so that turnover prone shit must go.

7- Get rid of Pop and lazy guys like Patty & Boris also Im not sold on Fathead.

SAGirl
05-18-2016, 12:36 AM
9/15 regular season losses came on 1 day rest. Losses in games 2 and 5 were on 1 day rest. This team was too old, too unathletic, too slow.

Also, so much over-reaction for a series we lost in 3 mins of bad basketball in games 2 and 5. If a few breaks went our way we win that series in 5. We need to get younger and more athletic, and change the style a bit back towards movement, but we still have two top 15 players and a bright future.
+1 :flag: