PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson mentions Manu Ginobili saying he, Warriors will sacrifice to win

kaji157
07-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Scary to think that the Warriors managed to impose this culture in their players so easily.

Easier said than done Klay, let´s see if he actually does it.

Article:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/21/klay-thompson-mentions-manu-ginobili-saying-he-warriors-will-sacrifice-to-win/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

What he said:
“I know how good I am in this league. I’m not going to judge my performance off numbers or anything. If we get wins, it really doesn’t matter, man. It’s all good….

“I look at a guy like Manu Ginobili who came off the bench almost his entire career,” Thompson said. “Never averaged more than 20 points a game, but he’s a four-time champion, you know? He could have easily been on another team and averaged 25 a game, but he sacrificed to win, and that’s what I expect to do next year. I don’t care about averaging 25 or even 20. I just want to finish it out and get back to the Finals and enjoy that ride.”

spurs10
07-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Maybe they should get Lebron to just make sure they face no adversity.

Mr. Body
07-21-2016, 10:24 AM
It's dawning on him that with KD in the fold, Thompson is expendable and instead of extending him they'll eventually ship him off for parts. Sucks to be you, Klay.

look_at_g_shred
07-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Egos will collide

Solid D
07-21-2016, 10:51 AM
“I look at a guy like Manu Ginobili who came off the bench almost his entire career,” Thompson said. “Never averaged more than 20 points a game, but he’s a four-time champion, you know? He could have easily been on another team and averaged 25 a game, but he sacrificed to win, and that’s what I expect to do next year. I don’t care about averaging 25 or even 20. I just want to finish it out and get back to the Finals and enjoy that ride.”

Players recognize what's real.

Proxy
07-21-2016, 10:58 AM
“I just like to play my own game and do what I can. Because I know I can be just as good, if not better, than Manu Ginobili.”

GSH
07-21-2016, 11:08 AM
This year has been crazy about the salaries. But generally, even a Sixth Man of the Year isn't worth as much as a top-notch starter. If Green sacrificed the way Manu did, he knows that it would affect his next contract - potentially by a lot. So he would be giving up the status of being a starter, plus millions. Draymond might sacrifice a chicken or a goat if he thought it would help him win. I'll believe that he'll sacrifice big money and/or status when I see it. He may recognize what Manu did, but doing it is something else entirely.

Solid D
07-21-2016, 11:08 AM
“I just like to play my own game and do what I can. Because I know I can be just as good, if not better, than Manu Ginobili.”

I didn't see that quote anywhere.

Proxy
07-21-2016, 11:16 AM
from an older interview

Mr. Body
07-21-2016, 11:21 AM
What an ass.

Chillen
07-21-2016, 11:38 AM
They are totally ripping off the Spurs model in Golden State.

Leetonidas
07-21-2016, 11:41 AM
he's gonna get traded eventually if KD stays. they cant afford to have 140m tied up in 4 players with nothing but minimum contracts for 10 roster spots.

GSH
07-21-2016, 11:44 AM

Klay was talking that shit his rookie season. I remember one television interview from his rookie year, I swear he said that he would be better than Tim and Tony, too. I remember commenting here about how fucking arrogant that comment was, and a few people defending it, saying he was a really good player. Yeah, but comparing yourself to some of the best players in the game (at that time) before you've even put in a full season? I don't think it was the same interview, because I'm pretty sure he included even Tim in his comment.

Solid D
07-21-2016, 11:44 AM
from an older interview

:tu

SPURt
07-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Not expecting to average 25 or even 20? You better get comfortable around 15. KD and Steph will likely put in 50 combined on average plus Gaymond. Let's say for arguement sake he averages 15 too. That's 80 ppg from 4 starters combined.

It's easy to say the right things, it's a whole lot different to do the right things. Manu is the only guy I can even remember sacrificing prime years in that way for a reason.

ducks
07-21-2016, 11:52 AM
I thought he was talking about gs sacfricing and manu taking 14 million instead of taking less

Ice009
07-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Klay was talking that shit his rookie season. I remember one television interview from his rookie year, I swear he said that he would be better than Tim and Tony, too. I remember commenting here about how fucking arrogant that comment was, and a few people defending it, saying he was a really good player. Yeah, but comparing yourself to some of the best players in the game (at that time) before you've even put in a full season? I don't think it was the same interview, because I'm pretty sure he included even Tim in his comment.

Come one, surely he wasn't dumb enough to say he could be better than Tim Duncan, especially in his rookie year.

Spurs9
07-21-2016, 12:10 PM
It really is true when they say there is only 1 ball. Sure there are alot of good scorers on that team now, but its not like all of them are going to continue to get the same numbers. They aren't going to be scoring 160 every game, and every single team is going to be going all out against them every night. If Durrant takes away shots from Curry thats a good thing for teams.

Canyonero
07-21-2016, 12:17 PM
How dare that faggot mention Manu's name?

Mikeanaro
07-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Maybe they should get Lebron to just make sure they face no adversity.

“I just like to play my own game and do what I can. Because I know I can be MUCH BETTER than Manu Ginobili.”

GSH
07-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Come one, surely he wasn't dumb enough to say he could be better than Tim Duncan, especially in his rookie year.

LOL. I was pissed. And I was shocked that people were defending him.

I honestly don't remember his exact words after all this time. At the very least, he compared himself to the Big 3, and said that he was as good or better than them. But I think names were mentioned. I remember it because of a few people saying that he was going to be a great player, and me saying, "Yeah, but at least play a few years before you start comparing yourself to those guys." As usual, no minds are changed on ST.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2016, 01:23 PM
He is better than Manu ever was, tbh.

hater
07-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Amen

hater
07-21-2016, 01:32 PM
If not for eliancito shitting on himself, Alphompson would be 2 time champ

urunobili
07-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Now you're semi bolded? is it a new category?

Chillen
07-21-2016, 01:33 PM
It really is true when they say there is only 1 ball. Sure there are alot of good scorers on that team now, but its not like all of them are going to continue to get the same numbers. They aren't going to be scoring 160 every game, and every single team is going to be going all out against them every night. If Durrant takes away shots from Curry thats a good thing for teams.

That is actually the opponents only hope vs what will be a amazing offense. The stars get selfish and take hero shots, instead of playing as a team. If they play as a team and share the ball, they have potential to be lethal. If it becomes more selfish and they miss shots, they will lose over 10 games.

hater
07-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Lol theres only one ball rhetoric is way overrated.

Worriers will win the west with ease. Wont even be close but could possibly fall o CLE depnding on what that roster looks like come June.

Why even play regular season :lmao

Budkin
07-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Klaynus tbh

DJR210
07-21-2016, 01:36 PM
That bitch couldn't lace up Manu's Nikes

DJR210
07-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Let's see Klay slap down some rogue faggot who storms their court.. I'm sure it would be equally risky as far as diseases

kxs783kms
07-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Let's see if he'll sacrifice and take payouts like Manu did too. Those are the real numbers we'll be looking to see if you're willing to lose just to win.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Now you're semi bolded? is it a new category?
I'm pinked and can't check my notifications/mentions/profile etc

r0drig0lac
07-21-2016, 01:45 PM
How dare that faggot mention Manu's name?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

urunobili
07-21-2016, 01:46 PM
Damn that's rough. I know from the soccer forum you're not that bad of a human tbh. Just just have to keep your integrity up instead of sticking with unrealistic shticks.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Damn that's rough. I know from the soccer forum you're not that bad of a human tbh. Just just have to keep your integrity up instead of sticking with unrealistic shticks.
Me and hater are realistic Manu fans tbh. We keep it 100

kobyz
07-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Will he came of the bench for them?

kobyz
07-21-2016, 01:53 PM

They pink every fan who's not a homer!

urunobili
07-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Me and hater are realistic Manu fans tbh. We keep it 100

You don't know hater that well TBH. It's a troll job kid. Up until 2013 he was a fierce Manu defender. The 13 finals were rough on him (in all of us) and he never recovered from that...

wildbill2u
07-21-2016, 01:58 PM
I think he was making a comparison to the culture of the Spurs where players are supposed to get over themselves and sacrifice for the good of the team.. Maybe he sees that he can be a hell of a contributor as a sixth man like Manu without all the glory stuff. Frankly, a move by Thompson to the second team will give them a helluva lot better bench. That might be preferable to all three of the shooters fighting for minutes and shots.

Whatever, it was a compliment to Manu.

phxspurfan
07-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Compliment my ass. That guy's getting shipped out anyway, they can't afford to keep all these guys in the new TV deal era. Enjoy it while it lasts GS

cutewizard
07-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Manu has intangibles that cannot be measured.....

ElNono
07-21-2016, 03:01 PM
He needs KD to win him a gold medal first, tbh...

elemento
07-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Easy to say the right things to the media when his team is stacked, they just landed a top 3 player and they pretty much have the hopes to create a dynasty. Let's see if he backs up his words in real life, especially if the new BIG 4 fails to deliver as everyone expects.

TrainOfThought5
07-21-2016, 03:36 PM

I dare you to make a new thread and put that in the title.

hater
07-21-2016, 03:42 PM
You don't know hater that well TBH. It's a troll job kid. Up until 2013 he was a fierce Manu defender. The 13 finals were rough on him (in all of us) and he never recovered from that...

True. I never denied I was the biggest Manu fan here circa 2005. But he fucked up so many times and his selfish style of play rally took a toll on my fanhood.

And deliberately winning a ring for Lebron in 13 was too much. He should have retired 7 years ago.

And even a neutral fan would agree Alphompson >>>>>> prime Manure

Spurs9
07-21-2016, 04:09 PM
I cant even imagine how the games with the Warriors will be. Are they just going to blow everyone out in the 1st and coast the other 3 quarters?

tholdren
07-21-2016, 04:47 PM
I cant even imagine how the games with the Warriors will be. Are they just going to blow everyone out in the 1st and coast the other 3 quarters?
no.

spursreport
07-21-2016, 04:47 PM
That is actually the opponents only hope vs what will be a amazing offense. The stars get selfish and take hero shots, instead of playing as a team. If they play as a team and share the ball, they have potential to be lethal. If it becomes more selfish and they miss shots, they will lose over 10 games.

The 2013-2014 Denver Broncos offense was lethal. Manning was the best QB that season with 55 tds. The Broncos raped all sorts of offensive records. They were insane on offense. Then they got their shit pushed in by Seattle and that offense wasn't so lethal. This Warriors team is EXACTLY like that Broncos squad. Durant/Curry are their Peyton Manning. They wilt against physical play like those Broncos did. They implode when things aren't going according to plan. They choke. They are anti-clutch. The only way their Alphas rang (Manning/Curry) was due to injuries/defenses carrying them to it. Against a full deck, when they have to perform, they fold. These teams are carbon copies of one another. Explosive/lethal/historic/potent offenses with no true clutch alpha who will fold when the chips are down.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Wait, people are actually arguing this? :lmao

Alphompson scored 37 in a quarter and carried his team back from a 1-3 deficit against OKC. He outplayed the unanimous MVP, while Manure never outplayed TiMVP and MVParker, ever.

aal04
07-21-2016, 05:09 PM
That GSW team has a massive advantage not just from that Roster, but they dont have any big heads. No one on that team expected to be in GOAT talks like LBJ. The only ego I can think of is how Dray doesnt like being disrespected, but he understands he isnt the franchise player. KD calls himself the servant ffs. And you bet every players wants to make up for this years questionable finals. This team will be the 14 Spurs on crack.

But they still have to go through a decent spurs outfit and perhaps some newer teams whereas Cavs can moonwalk into the finals again.

Diego20
07-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Wait, people are actually arguing this? :lmao

Alphompson scored 37 in a quarter and carried his team back from a 1-3 deficit against OKC. He outplayed the unanimous MVP, while Manure never outplayed TiMVP and MVParker, ever.

Except he did, in 2005 playoffs?

:lol

Tully365
07-21-2016, 05:49 PM
I just find it a little funny when today's NBA stars talk about "sacrifce." Players in the 60s worked regular jobs during the off season to earn extra cash. Nowadays, "sacrifice" means instead of earning 50 times more than the President of the United States you're willing to settle for making 45 times what the President makes... There's really no substantial sacrifice being made, except in terms of ego. There are very few things in this world you can do with $130 mil that you can't do with $123 mil.

DeRozan m8
07-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Klay is such a shit talking fuckwit

Suits that team

tmtcsc
07-21-2016, 05:58 PM

His 1st or second year if I recall.

Mikeanaro
07-21-2016, 06:11 PM
True. I never denied I was the biggest Manu fan here circa 2005. But he fucked up so many times and his selfish style of play rally took a toll on my fanhood.

And deliberately winning a ring for Lebron in 13 was too much. He should have retired 7 years ago.

Klaynus was part of that squad that went scoreless for the last 5 minutes of game 7.
Manu had a bad game but there was a game 7 and he didnt disappear there, MVPorker did.

Klaynus lost a final while in his prime in a stacked team vs a shitty Cavs team, bloodfarted his soul at the moment Lebron looked at him.
Manu had a horrible game 6 but he was 254 years old vs a fully stacked CHeat team, Klaynus will be retired and buried long before reaching that age.

weebo
07-21-2016, 06:24 PM

:lmao

BillMc
07-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Not sure why the Klay hate. He's complimenting Manu's will to win.

InRareForm
07-21-2016, 07:34 PM
But are they better than showtime?

Kindergarten Cop
07-21-2016, 07:41 PM
:nope

Kindergarten Cop
07-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Found on ProjectSpurs:

http://projectspurs.com/2012-articles/warriors-klay-thompson-says-he-can-be-better-than-ginobili.html

lefty
07-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Did he mention Porker?

offset formation
07-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Scary to think that the Warriors managed to impose this culture in their players so easily.

Easier said than done Klay, let´s see if he actually does it.

Article:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/21/klay-thompson-mentions-manu-ginobili-saying-he-warriors-will-sacrifice-to-win/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

What he said:
“I know how good I am in this league. I’m not going to judge my performance off numbers or anything. If we get wins, it really doesn’t matter, man. It’s all good….

Future Spur. Imagine Kawhi and Klay as your perimeter defenders.

Sean Cagney
07-21-2016, 11:44 PM
Egos will collide

Definitely sooner or later....

ElNono
07-21-2016, 11:47 PM
Did he mention Porker?

He did win a ring when he completely sucked on the Finals, and lost one when he was actually playing great...

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-22-2016, 12:47 AM
he's gonna get traded eventually if KD stays. they cant afford to have 140m tied up in 4 players with nothing but minimum contracts for 10 roster spots.

The 4 of them won't be at $140 mil, more like less than $100 mil, they'll have some money to play with.

Raven
07-22-2016, 03:53 AM
It's dawning on him that with KD in the fold, Thompson is expendable and instead of extending him they'll eventually ship him off for parts. Sucks to be you, Klay.

i can't even :lol

Mr. Body
07-22-2016, 06:41 AM
The 4 of them won't be at $140 mil, more like less than $100 mil, they'll have some money to play with.

It's a ton of money when three of them do alia exactly the same things.

VBM
07-22-2016, 06:49 AM
They are totally ripping off the Spurs model in Golden State.

With a better coach too http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/francis.png

Pocho La Pantera
07-22-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm pinked and can't check my notifications/mentions/profile etcUhh, so sad:lmao

Obstructed_View
07-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Not sure why the Klay hate. He's complimenting Manu's will to win.

Actually he's trying to piggyback on it in an attempt not to be traded. He just looked up and realized that he's not even James Harden on this team.

Mikeanaro
07-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Wow now a *73 win team needs to sacrifice

Lol what a POS.