12-01-2016, 01:38 PM
:lol imagine if we didn't "suck"

Joseph Kony
12-01-2016, 01:38 PM
:lol today's NBA

Cry Havoc
12-01-2016, 01:41 PM
:lol imagine if we didn't "suck"

OTOH if our record was bad at least most of the shit-tier posters would leave.

RD2191
12-01-2016, 01:55 PM

I doubt it tbh

NameLess Scrub
12-01-2016, 02:23 PM
It's all relative.

They don't "suck", but they're underachieving.

Darius Bieber
12-01-2016, 02:45 PM
I doubt it tbh

testies
12-01-2016, 02:52 PM
league is in its worse level since a team led by AI made it to the finals

hater
12-01-2016, 03:51 PM
I have been calling this shit league was going to be shittier this year.

I am seeing at least 2 teams get 70 wins and around 5 get 60+ wins

Sean Cagney
12-01-2016, 03:51 PM
It's all relative.

They don't "suck", but they're underachieving.

AT HOME I definitely agree with you there.

hater
12-01-2016, 03:53 PM
I have been calling this shit league was going to be shittier this year.

I am seeing at least 2 teams get 70 wins and around 5 get 60+ wins

Oh and the rest of the teams wont sniff past 37 wins

Fireball
12-01-2016, 04:20 PM
cakewalk schedule tbh ...

spurraider21
12-01-2016, 04:27 PM
GOAT franchise player retires and people are basically whining that we aren't undefeated and playing flawless :lol

HarlemHeat37
12-01-2016, 04:44 PM
The league is much more interesting when it's top-heavy, tbh..I got tired of people overrating 50-win West teams that never had a real chance of winning a title(Portland, Memphis, etc):lol

There are 2 real contenders this season, along with 2 fringe contenders..the viewership is higher than it has been in a long time IIRC(at least for the Finals), everybody is in love with the idea of another Cavs-Warriors matchup(rightfully so)..

SAGirl
12-01-2016, 04:45 PM
GOAT franchise player retires and people are basically whining that we aren't undefeated and playing flawless :lol
Pretty much.

Dex
12-01-2016, 05:26 PM
The league is much more interesting when it's top-heavy, tbh..I got tired of people overrating 50-win West teams that never had a real chance of winning a title(Portland, Memphis, etc):lol

There are 2 real contenders this season, along with 2 fringe contenders..the viewership is higher than it has been in a long time IIRC(at least for the Finals), everybody is in love with the idea of another Cavs-Warriors matchup(rightfully so)..

I'm not. Sure, it would be good drama after the way Golden State crumbled last year, but it gets old watching the same old teams in the Finals year after year. If GSW/CLE rematch, it would be three straight years of them following four straight appearances by the Heat and two by the Spurs (the latter I am okay with, but I just may be biased).

Before that, it was Lakers-Celtics dominating the big stage, and that wasn't too far removed from the Lakers four straight appearances to start the decade.

I know the NBA will never have the parity of the NFL or MLB, but if the Spurs aren't competing for a championship, it would be nice to see some new blood every now and then.

benefactor
12-01-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm not. Sure, it would be good drama after the way Golden State crumbled last year, but it gets old watching the same old teams in the Finals year after year. If GSW/CLE rematch, it would be three straight years of them following four straight appearances by the Heat and two by the Spurs (the latter I am okay with, but I just may be biased).

Before that, it was Lakers-Celtics dominating the big stage, and that wasn't too far removed from the Lakers four straight appearances to start the decade.

I know the NBA will never have the parity of the NFL or MLB, but if the Spurs aren't competing for a championship, it would be nice to see some new blood every now and then.
Caters to the casual fan though tbh. That's good for the league overall.

HarlemHeat37
12-01-2016, 06:11 PM

For the hardcore fans, yes, but the casual fans have loved that rivalry..

IIRC, it was the most watched Finals since 1998..it's only going to grow with the addition of Durant + Lebron becoming much more beloved by fans since joining the Cavs(and the media can begin pushing the narrative of chasing Dad Killer)..

TD 21
12-01-2016, 06:13 PM
It might be good for the league in the short term and obviously things change fast in professional sports, but right now it's difficult to imagine another outcome in the near future. At some point (probably after the '17 Finals), even the casual fan will have probably had enough.

I agree that being top heavy is good, but knowing or at least having the perception on July 4th that the Finals were a stone cold lock, is not. There's zero drama to this season.

I'm not looking forward to Warriors-Cavaliers III. I never found it to be an interesting match-up, it took 37 things breaking the Cavs way to pull it off in '16 and that was before the Warriors added the 2nd best player in the world.

HarlemHeat37
12-01-2016, 06:15 PM
It might be good for the league in the short term and obviously things change fast in professional sports, but right now it's difficult to imagine another outcome in the near future. At some point (probably after the '17 Finals), even the casual fan will have probably had enough.

I agree that being top heavy is good, but knowing or at least having the perception on July 4th that the Finals were a stone cold lock, is not. There's zero drama to this season.

I'm not looking forward to Warriors-Cavaliers III. I never found it to be an interesting match-up, it took 37 things breaking the Cavs way to pull it off in '16 and that was before the Warriors added the 2nd best player in the world.

I agree with your last point, but I don't think this season is that much different than most years..the NBA usually gives you 3-4 real contenders and a bunch of pretenders..

This year is a little different with the Warriors and Cavs at the top, but it's not like the Clippers and Spurs are any worse than the Warriors' West competition in 2015 or the Spurs' West competition in 2013, for example(I guess some people here bought Memphis as a challenger, but anybody that watched the league closely knew the Spurs would manhandle them)..

The last NBA year that had real parity was 2011, where the East actually had a legit challenger(Chicago) and the West was completely wide open..

TD 21
12-01-2016, 06:31 PM
I agree with your last point, but I don't think this season is that much different than most years..the NBA usually gives you 3-4 real contenders and a bunch of pretenders..

This year is a little different with the Warriors and Cavs at the top, but it's not like the Clippers and Spurs are any worse than the Warriors' West competition in 2015 or the Spurs' West competition in 2013, for example(I guess some people here bought Memphis as a challenger, but anybody that watched the league closely knew the Spurs would manhandle them)..

The last NBA year that had real parity was 2011, where the East actually had a legit challenger(Chicago) and the West was completely wide open..

3-4 (there's also usually an if-everything-breaks-right team) is a lot different than 2 though and it's really 1 and 1/2. I'd give the Cavaliers a punchers chance, but I'd be borderline shocked if they beat them.

That's revisionist history though. Going into '13, the Thunder were the favorites to come out of the West and were derailed because of Westbrook's injury. Going into '15, the Spurs and Thunder were co-favorites to come out of the West, only to be derailed by fatigue/injuries and injuries, respectively. On July 4th of '16, the West and probably championship was a wrap (at least, the perception is) for the Warriors.

Shastafarian
12-01-2016, 07:30 PM
11-0 on the road too. The streak will continue.

Dex
12-01-2016, 07:34 PM
11-0 on the road too. The streak will continue.

Absolutely outstanding. Already swept a quarter of our road games this season.

Not sure what the funk is about the AT&T Center this season, but I like the fact that this team is responding well to the pressure of away games. The 67 wins and huge point differential last season was great and all, but I felt like it almost made things too easy for the team. They didn't get put into the pressure cooker until late in the season or playoffs and...well, we all saw what happened against the Thunder. All those garbage time minutes that were supposed to "develop our bench" were for naught, and the starters didn't seem to know what to do when the game was on the line.

As bad as it is for my heart, I like to see the team facing pressure situations...that way they aren't overwhelmed when an opponent punches back or when they have a steep hill to climb.

tholdren
12-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Pau Gasol sucks ass

tholdren
12-01-2016, 07:38 PM
league is in its worse level since a team led by AI made it to the finals
worst

tholdren
12-01-2016, 07:39 PM
The league is terrible because it values "entertainment" over basketball skill. Always has, always will. The best, most fundamental basketball players do not play in the nba. FACT.

apalisoc_9
12-01-2016, 07:44 PM
The league is terrible because it values "entertainment" over basketball skill. Always has, always will. The best, most fundamental basketball players do not play in the nba. FACT.

You just say that because most white guys play outside of the NBA. It's the same BS we hear from the media in how International Basketball is smarter. It's subtle racism.

Seventyniner
12-01-2016, 07:55 PM

Wishful thinking right there.

dabom
12-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Wishful thinking right there.

Do redditers count?:lol

Splits
12-01-2016, 07:57 PM

Nope.

I doubt it tbh

SAGirl
12-01-2016, 09:22 PM

TBH...It might be heresy in a spurs forum from a spur fan, but I'd rather watch Clippers Cavs if Spurs aren't making it. ... I tend to think Lebron kills them, but it's an interesting match for me.

I have burnout for GSW and I really do not like Durant.

SpursIndonesia
12-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Now, 2nd in the league ? With shitty 4-4 home record, i will take it.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-01-2016, 10:52 PM
I think the Cavs will beat the Warriors in 6. They are going to have an absolute field day inside.

UZER
12-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Shumpert and Draymond are helping the GSW vs Cavs hype with their verbal jabs.

Casual fans eat that shit up.

alpha_HaZE
12-01-2016, 11:50 PM
And the Spurs are playing at their worst! Which is scary!

Kawhi is going through the motions of being a top dog AKA finding that balance of scoring versus creating for your teammates --and am glad it is happening earlier, rather than later!

LA is just getting in reg season shape.

Tony, Pau, Manu, and Danny all had very short summers and are banged up one way or another, so they are taking it easy and our youngsters and inexperienced players are going through the motions of being a rookie.

And we still have the second best record in the West? I would fn take that any day of the week! Who knows where our ceiling is?! One thing is for sure, this team has plenty of room to grow and if they do, they will be something special to watch.

When LA gets his a$$ in shape, mark my words, he will be just as good as Kawhi. Zack Lowe commented in his podcast how LA has developed into a small ball big men, because of his ability to shoot the 3 and being able to switch and is fast enough to recover on D. With the warriors going small he will have an open road to the basket.

The only team that worries me right now is the Clippers and we might face them in the second round, which would be a huge bummer because it will work in favor of the warriors. It's going to be a long and physical series.

jARS mEsH sEt
12-02-2016, 12:09 AM
The spurs are nowhere near championship contender status and won't be until we add

(1) an all star caliber, penetrating point guard who can facilitate

and

(2) a stretch 5 who can protect the rim, rebound, and at minimum hit a long 2 at a 45% clip (Gasol can do the latter 2 but can't protect the rim)

in addition to Kawhi, LMA, Dedmon (as a backup rim protecting 5, albeit not a stretch 5), David Lee and multiple role players who are capable of hitting the 3 with at least a couple who are capable (on occasion) of facilitating as a secondary penetrator if they're chased off the line.

Championship caliber teams have redundant 3 point shooting so they don't rely on 2 or 3 guys who consistently shoot 3s at 40% from game to game. As an added benefit having multiple guys takes pressure off everyone because no single person feels obligated to shoot consistently night in and night out.

SpurPadre
12-02-2016, 01:45 AM
Fuck, the one time I root for the fucking rockets and they choke away a Dubs game they should've won. Update: my reverse jinx worked! Dubs lose!!!!!

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-02-2016, 02:07 AM
The spurs are nowhere near championship contender status and won't be until we add

(1) an all star caliber, penetrating point guard who can facilitate

and

(2) a stretch 5 who can protect the rim, rebound, and at minimum hit a long 2 at a 45% clip (Gasol can do the latter 2 but can't protect the rim)

in addition to Kawhi, LMA, Dedmon (as a backup rim protecting 5, albeit not a stretch 5), David Lee and multiple role players who are capable of hitting the 3 with at least a couple who are capable (on occasion) of facilitating as a secondary penetrator if they're chased off the line.

Championship caliber teams have redundant 3 point shooting so they don't rely on 2 or 3 guys who consistently shoot 3s at 40% from game to game. As an added benefit having multiple guys takes pressure off everyone because no single person feels obligated to shoot consistently night in and night out.

So basically the Spurs need 2 more max contract guys to contend? You could say the same about 20 other teams.

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2016, 03:24 AM
So basically the Spurs need 2 more max contract guys to contend? You could say the same about 20 other teams.

:lol

ceperez
12-02-2016, 06:36 AM
Everyone keeps saying the competition is worse.

I don't think so, teams are playing better team basketball, moving the ball better and playing better percentages. You can see this in many teams.

Spurs we all agree look like they are underachieving. I think though is that the Spurs can't just play harder and more efficiently than other teams, as they used to do in the past. These other teams are also playing harder and more efficiently. Furthermore, they've got a lot more younger and more talented players. Spurs are loaded with a lot of old players that are unable to bring the competitiveness on a game-to-game basis. Also, the younger players are really not as gifted talent wise as one would like to have!

benefactor
12-02-2016, 07:41 AM
:lol...don't bother responding to him. He's one of the worst posters in the history of this forum. ceperez's takes are better.