My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    today's NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imagine if we didn't "suck"
    OTOH if our record was bad at least most of the -tier posters would leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OTOH if our record was bad at least most of the -tier posters would leave.
    I doubt it tbh

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all relative.

They don't "suck", but they're underachieving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    league is in its worse level since a team led by AI made it to the finals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been calling this league was going to be tier this year.

I am seeing at least 2 teams get 70 wins and around 5 get 60+ wins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all relative.

They don't "suck", but they're underachieving.
    AT HOME I definitely agree with you there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been calling this league was going to be tier this year.

I am seeing at least 2 teams get 70 wins and around 5 get 60+ wins
    Oh and the rest of the teams wont sniff past 37 wins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cakewalk schedule tbh ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOAT franchise player retires and people are basically whining that we aren't undefeated and playing flawless

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league is much more interesting when it's top-heavy, tbh..I got tired of people overrating 50-win West teams that never had a real chance of winning a le(Portland, Memphis, etc)

There are 2 real contenders this season, along with 2 fringe contenders..the viewership is higher than it has been in a long time IIRC(at least for the Finals), everybody is in love with the idea of another Cavs-Warriors matchup(rightfully so)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOAT franchise player retires and people are basically whining that we aren't undefeated and playing flawless
    Pretty much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league is much more interesting when it's top-heavy, tbh..I got tired of people overrating 50-win West teams that never had a real chance of winning a le(Portland, Memphis, etc)

There are 2 real contenders this season, along with 2 fringe contenders..the viewership is higher than it has been in a long time IIRC(at least for the Finals), everybody is in love with the idea of another Cavs-Warriors matchup(rightfully so)..
    I'm not. Sure, it would be good drama after the way Golden State crumbled last year, but it gets old watching the same old teams in the Finals year after year. If GSW/CLE rematch, it would be three straight years of them following four straight appearances by the Heat and two by the Spurs (the latter I am okay with, but I just may be biased).

Before that, it was Lakers-Celtics dominating the big stage, and that wasn't too far removed from the Lakers four straight appearances to start the decade.

I know the NBA will never have the parity of the NFL or MLB, but if the Spurs aren't competing for a championship, it would be nice to see some new blood every now and then.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not. Sure, it would be good drama after the way Golden State crumbled last year, but it gets old watching the same old teams in the Finals year after year. If GSW/CLE rematch, it would be three straight years of them following four straight appearances by the Heat and two by the Spurs (the latter I am okay with, but I just may be biased).

Before that, it was Lakers-Celtics dominating the big stage, and that wasn't too far removed from the Lakers four straight appearances to start the decade.

I know the NBA will never have the parity of the NFL or MLB, but if the Spurs aren't competing for a championship, it would be nice to see some new blood every now and then.
    Caters to the casual fan though tbh. That's good for the league overall.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For the hardcore fans, yes, but the casual fans have loved that rivalry..

IIRC, it was the most watched Finals since 1998..it's only going to grow with the addition of Durant + Lebron becoming much more beloved by fans since joining the Cavs(and the media can begin pushing the narrative of chasing Dad Killer)..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It might be good for the league in the short term and obviously things change fast in professional sports, but right now it's difficult to imagine another outcome in the near future. At some point (probably after the '17 Finals), even the casual fan will have probably had enough.

I agree that being top heavy is good, but knowing or at least having the perception on July 4th that the Finals were a stone cold lock, is not. There's zero drama to this season.

I'm not looking forward to Warriors-Cavaliers III. I never found it to be an interesting match-up, it took 37 things breaking the Cavs way to pull it off in '16 and that was before the Warriors added the 2nd best player in the world.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It might be good for the league in the short term and obviously things change fast in professional sports, but right now it's difficult to imagine another outcome in the near future. At some point (probably after the '17 Finals), even the casual fan will have probably had enough.

I agree that being top heavy is good, but knowing or at least having the perception on July 4th that the Finals were a stone cold lock, is not. There's zero drama to this season.

I'm not looking forward to Warriors-Cavaliers III. I never found it to be an interesting match-up, it took 37 things breaking the Cavs way to pull it off in '16 and that was before the Warriors added the 2nd best player in the world.
    I agree with your last point, but I don't think this season is that much different than most years..the NBA usually gives you 3-4 real contenders and a bunch of pretenders..

This year is a little different with the Warriors and Cavs at the top, but it's not like the Clippers and Spurs are any worse than the Warriors' West compe ion in 2015 or the Spurs' West compe ion in 2013, for example(I guess some people here bought Memphis as a challenger, but anybody that watched the league closely knew the Spurs would manhandle them)..

The last NBA year that had real parity was 2011, where the East actually had a legit challenger(Chicago) and the West was completely wide open..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with your last point, but I don't think this season is that much different than most years..the NBA usually gives you 3-4 real contenders and a bunch of pretenders..

This year is a little different with the Warriors and Cavs at the top, but it's not like the Clippers and Spurs are any worse than the Warriors' West compe ion in 2015 or the Spurs' West compe ion in 2013, for example(I guess some people here bought Memphis as a challenger, but anybody that watched the league closely knew the Spurs would manhandle them)..

The last NBA year that had real parity was 2011, where the East actually had a legit challenger(Chicago) and the West was completely wide open..
    3-4 (there's also usually an if-everything-breaks-right team) is a lot different than 2 though and it's really 1 and 1/2. I'd give the Cavaliers a punchers chance, but I'd be borderline shocked if they beat them.

That's revisionist history though. Going into '13, the Thunder were the favorites to come out of the West and were derailed because of Westbrook's injury. Going into '15, the Spurs and Thunder were co-favorites to come out of the West, only to be derailed by fatigue/injuries and injuries, respectively. On July 4th of '16, the West and probably championship was a wrap (at least, the perception is) for the Warriors.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11-0 on the road too. The streak will continue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11-0 on the road too. The streak will continue.
    Absolutely outstanding. Already swept a quarter of our road games this season.

Not sure what the funk is about the AT&T Center this season, but I like the fact that this team is responding well to the pressure of away games. The 67 wins and huge point differential last season was great and all, but I felt like it almost made things too easy for the team. They didn't get put into the pressure cooker until late in the season or playoffs and...well, we all saw what happened against the Thunder. All those garbage time minutes that were supposed to "develop our bench" were for naught, and the starters didn't seem to know what to do when the game was on the line.

As bad as it is for my heart, I like to see the team facing pressure situations...that way they aren't overwhelmed when an opponent punches back or when they have a steep hill to climb.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pau Gasol sucks ass

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    league is in its worse level since a team led by AI made it to the finals
    worst

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league is terrible because it values "entertainment" over basketball skill. Always has, always will. The best, most fundamental basketball players do not play in the nba. FACT.

Thread Information