PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end for Tony Parker?

LkrFan
05-22-2017, 09:34 AM
As a Laker fan, he is the one who would piss me off the most. Pop drafted that bastard just to fuck with millions of Laker fans like me. For years we had to endure Derek Fisher getting torched by this guy. :lol

That being said do you guys think TP comes back strong? For the Spurs sake, you better hope so. He's 35, ruptured left quadriceps tendon, and relies on speed to be effective. If he doesn't regain his speed what good is he?

He has an expiring $15.4M cap hit. Historically, teams try to flip an expiring deal into something useful but who would want a soon to be 36 year old PG coming off major surgery on his knee? What is the timeline for recovery, considering his age and tons of playoff mileage? Y'all may be stuck with him until he's off the books.

Patty is nice, but he's no more than a role player. That rook y'all have seems promising (though I hope not :)).

If this is the end of TP as we know him, it was a hell of a ride.

Thoughts?

Mal
05-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Kings will need dead money salaries. They`ll take that deal if 1st round pick or talent is attached.

lmbebo
05-22-2017, 09:41 AM
I honestly think he'll work to come back. But he's going to be a shell of former self. Highly doubt spurs would dump and extend his contract. Maybe if he was a roll player or someone like that.

Plus it was his quad tendon, not patellar.

Mills isn't the answer for our PG needs. Not sure how he plays without another ballhandler/playmaker like Manu in the back court with him.

TheGreatYacht
05-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Spurs aren't trading TP, the best guard in franchise history, to teams like the Kings and Nets tbh. Green, Gasol, and Aldridge would be traded before they do TP like that.

Murray is our PG next season :tu

LkrFan
05-22-2017, 09:44 AM
I honestly think he'll work to come back. But he's going to be a shell of former self. Highly doubt spurs would dump and extend his contract. Maybe if he was a roll player or someone like that.

Plus it was his quad tendon, not patellar.

Mills isn't the answer for our PG needs. Not sure how he plays without another ballhandler/playmaker like Manu in the back court with him.

I stand corrected. He had a ruptured left quadriceps tendon. I'll change the OP.

coachmac87
05-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Spurs aren't trading TP, the best guard in franchise history, to teams like the Kings and Nets tbh. Green, Gasol, and Aldridge would be traded before they do TP like that.

I'm really uncomfortable with the thought of Murray being our starting PG....

Mal

They`ll do if he`s done as nba player. Problem is that, they have dump him in July

mo7888
The only way they trade TP to a place like the Kings is if TP has decided to retire and the Kings would acquire rights and waive him so he wouldn't have to go there.

LkrFan
05-22-2017, 09:48 AM

Not so fast son. Ainge traded Boston's Big 3 to the Nets. Look at all the draft picks they got as a result.

Not saying you can get anything of significance for him (I hope n:lolt), but don't rule out the possibility of trading him.

TheGreatYacht
05-22-2017, 09:55 AM
I'd rather start him over maxing out second tier PG's like Lowry, Hill, and Holiday. If he doesn't work out then it's no problem since he's on a rookie contract.

Would go all out for CP3 first though, obviously.

They`ll do if he`s done as nba player. Problem is that, they have dump him in July
I agree. If he retires, then all bets are off. They traded Bruce and waived Timmy.

Not so fast son. Ainge traded Boston's Big 3 to the Nets. Look at all the draft picks they got as a result.

Not saying you can get anything of significance for him (I hope n:lolt), but don't rule out the possibility of trading him.
Problem is Brooklyn was the team that was foolish enough to do that. Billy King:lol is no longer there, unfortunately smh.

LkrFan
05-22-2017, 09:59 AM
I'd rather start him over maxing out second tier PG's like Lowry, Hill, and Holiday. If he doesn't work out then it's no problem since he's on a rookie contract.

Would go all out for CP3 first though, obviously.

I agree. If he retires, then all bets are off. They traded Bruce and waived Timmy.

Problem is Brooklyn was the team that was foolish enough to do that. Billy King:lol is no longer there, unfortunately smh.

Comment from a Nets fan:

**IF I WAS IN A ROOM WITH HITLER, STALIN, AND BILLY KING WITH TWO BULLETS I'D SHOOT BILLY FUCKING KING TWICE**

:rollin :lmao :rollin

DaBears
05-22-2017, 10:31 AM
TP has had good career here in SA I salute you my friend, now take a seat and teach DeJounte Murray...
Thank you for the Good memories- Here is to many more........ :flag:

GSH
05-22-2017, 10:38 AM
It's going to be tough. Coming back is going to have to be something he really, really wants more than anything. It would tell a lot if we knew whether they have him immobilized, or on an accelerated rehab protocol. Going through that is a cast-iron bitch. Not questioning whether he could do it - it's just something you really have to want, and he's got a lot of things waiting for him when he's done with the NBA.

Tony isn't getting traded. He will play his whole career as a Spur, no exceptions. Neither he nor the Spurs organization would have that any other way. If he's healthy enough to play, he plays here. I know he could be traded to a team with tons of cap room, with the intention of waiving him right afterward. But there are so many things wrong with that, I'm not even going to discuss it. He's not getting traded.

For the team, the injury happened at the worst possible time. The SL starts on July 7 or 8, I forget which. The last day to stretch a contract is Aug. 31. If Tony says he's coming back, I think PATFO probably plan on him coming back, and count on him doing the work to make it happen. (And on his body responding.) By the time they know anything for certain, it would be too late to make the kind of arrangements they could have made.

The one thing nobody has mentioned: if Tony says he plans on coming back, the docs and the team are going to insist that he strengthen everything (not just the injured leg) and be as lean as possible. There's a chance, even if it's slim, that he could come back next season better than he was this season.

Truth4sale$
05-22-2017, 10:43 AM
This is the end of him starting. He will likely come back late next year. I heard it may take 8 months to recover. His game has been changing for 2 years already. He has been working on his 3pt shot, and it will improve as it will be all He can do. He is basically a player/coach from this point onward. A great 3rd stringer, for the minimum when his contract expires for 2018. He has great corporate knowledge that is needed for current/future young players. A roster of all youth is not always the answer either, just look at the t-wolves. Parker's wisdom will be invaluable for Djounte Murray, Bertans, and, and whoever else the Spurs bring in.

GSH
05-22-2017, 11:06 AM
I heard it may take 8 months to recover.

I'll probably catch the usual shit for doing this, but what the hell?

Quad tendon tears/ruptures are most common in middle-aged men. Most of them, obviously, aren't professional athletes who are used to training as hard as guys who have made it in the NBA. And few of them have access to the doctors and rehab facilities that the Spurs have. They got Tony into surgery almost immediately after the injury, which is a big factor in recovery. Most people (and doctors) piss around for weeks before deciding whether surgery is even necessary, and even then they usually aren't in a big hurry to schedule the surgery since it's not "urgent". That's another difference in having the very best sports doctors. So a lot of the recovery times you read about are based on guys who are weekend warrior type athletes.

The average Joe would have the injured leg immobilized for weeks, to begin. There is an accelerated protocol where they begin range of motion exercises soon after surgery, and strength exercises soon after the sutures/staples come out. So if he's going through that, after having the surgery within a day or so after the injury (however long it was), he's already way ahead of typical recovery times.

There's always a chance his body just doesn't respond as well as needed, but I don't think that's likely. By four months - the end of August - he could reasonably be back to 90% strength in that leg, and have a couple of months to get used to trusting it to cut and jump. A lot of it really does come down to whether, at his age, he wants to get back badly enough to go through all that and dedicate every damn day to it. With the amount of money he has, Asvel interest, baby, etc.? I wouldn't blame him for moving on. I'm sure he's considering it.

DMC
05-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Pop starts Patty and waits for Tony. Murray will be backup.

GSH
05-22-2017, 11:22 AM

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2017, 11:25 AM
I really don't understand why some fans want the Spurs to re-sign Patty for his market value. I simply do not understand it.

LkrFan
05-22-2017, 11:28 AM

But why? Patty is hit or miss at this stage of his career. Might as well give the keys to Murray until if/when TP returns.

GSH
05-22-2017, 11:29 AM

What if someone offers Patty something like 3yr/$45M? Do the Spurs pay him that to stay, and wait for Tony? If they encourage Tony to retire, and stretch his salary, they gain about $10M in cap space this year. Where is the dollar cut-off where you have to just let Patty go? And will Patty jump anyway, if he thinks there's a chance he might keep coming off the bench behind either Murray or a recovered Tony?

There is nothing obvious about what to do.

LkrFan
05-22-2017, 11:29 AM
I'll probably catch the usual shit for doing this, but what the hell?

Quad tendon tears/ruptures are most common in middle-aged men. Most of them, obviously, aren't professional athletes who are used to training as hard as guys who have made it in the NBA. And few of them have access to the doctors and rehab facilities that the Spurs have. They got Tony into surgery almost immediately after the injury, which is a big factor in recovery. Most people (and doctors) piss around for weeks before deciding whether surgery is even necessary, and even then they usually aren't in a big hurry to schedule the surgery since it's not "urgent". That's another difference in having the very best sports doctors. So a lot of the recovery times you read about are based on guys who are weekend warrior type athletes.

The average Joe would have the injured leg immobilized for weeks, to begin. There is an accelerated protocol where they begin range of motion exercises soon after surgery, and strength exercises soon after the sutures/staples come out. So if he's going through that, after having the surgery within a day or so after the injury (however long it was), he's already way ahead of typical recovery times.

There's always a chance his body just doesn't respond as well as needed, but I don't think that's likely. By four months - the end of August - he could reasonably be back to 90% strength in that leg, and have a couple of months to get used to trusting it to cut and jump. A lot of it really does come down to whether, at his age, he wants to get back badly enough to go through all that and dedicate every damn day to it. With the amount of money he has, Asvel interest, baby, etc.? I wouldn't blame him for moving on. I'm sure he's considering it.

Good posts. We'll see how much TP wants it or not.

LkrFan
05-22-2017, 11:33 AM
What if someone offers Patty something like 3yr/$45M? Do the Spurs pay him that to stay, and wait for Tony? If they encourage Tony to retire, and stretch his salary, they gain about $10M in cap space this year. Where is the dollar cut-off where you have to just let Patty go? And will Patty jump anyway, if he thinks there's a chance he might keep coming off the bench behind either Murray or a recovered Tony?

Good points. It's kind of like the George Hill situation from a few years ago, no? In my eyes the Spurs are in the same exact situation with Patty. What is their line in the sand?

DMC
05-22-2017, 11:36 AM
But why? Patty is hit or miss at this stage of his career. Might as well give the keys to Murray until if/when TP returns.

Pop values time in grade and system knowledge over raw talent.

DMC
05-22-2017, 11:37 AM

Patty cant offer starting level services anywhere. He fits SA system.

ducks
05-22-2017, 12:28 PM

Gs great d and in playoffs try more
Training came and all season will help him in playoffs
Also tp mentally him

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 12:32 PM
This is the end of him starting. He will likely come back late next year. I heard it may take 8 months to recover. His game has been changing for 2 years already. He has been working on his 3pt shot, and it will improve as it will be all He can do. He is basically a player/coach from this point onward. A great 3rd stringer, for the minimum when his contract expires for 2018. He has great corporate knowledge that is needed for current/future young players. A roster of all youth is not always the answer either, just look at the t-wolves. Parker's wisdom will be invaluable for Djounte Murray, Bertans, and, and whoever else the Spurs bring in.

I can't see Tony playing if he's third on the depth chart. Or maybe even second. Seems like he has an active social life and I just can't seem him wanting to dedicate all of the time just to sit on the bench and watch other players.
He's got better and more fun shit to do.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Also tp mentally him

:lol Classic ducks

poop
05-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Comment from a Nets fan:

**IF I WAS IN A ROOM WITH HITLER, STALIN, AND BILLY KING WITH TWO BULLETS I'D SHOOT BILLY FUCKING KING TWICE**

ROFL

coachmac87
05-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Also tp mentally him

That's great....but how about we promote him to be the back up first???

ducks
05-22-2017, 12:51 PM
if he would not have been hurt the last month he would have been the backup

ducks
05-22-2017, 12:52 PM
he will make mistakes but spurs have to resign simmons they can not afford to go an experience point guard
lenonard will create some also.

SAGirl
05-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Pop values time in grade and system knowledge over raw talent.
They do need some raw talent to develop and grow. But I doubt it will be a gift. If Murray was just a little bit steadier he's already outplaying Mills ... With sufficient playing time it will become evident Murray should be starting.

DaBears
05-22-2017, 01:12 PM
He's worth whatever any team is willing to pay him... 8-12 mil a yr is probably not a bad start for him.

kaji157
05-22-2017, 01:48 PM
I think in the off-season the spurs will address the Tony situation. If he can come back early they'll keep him in the books, if not they can trade him to whatever team will dump his contract and resign him next year.
I am sure he has not played his last game as a Spur.

DMC
05-22-2017, 01:55 PM
I can't see Tony playing if he's third on the depth chart. Or maybe even second. Seems like he has an active social life and I just can't seem him wanting to dedicate all of the time just to sit on the bench and watch other players.
He's got better and more fun shit to do.

money is money

DMC
05-22-2017, 01:57 PM
He's worth whatever any team is willing to pay him... 8-12 mil a yr is probably not a bad start for him.

You can pay more than its worth. 7m would be pushing it.

mrtxstar
05-22-2017, 02:03 PM
I don't know if this is the end for Tony Parker, but if it is... Thank You for the memories #9 :flag:

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 02:18 PM
money is money

doesn't always matter. He's not the type to waste a year (in his opinion) going to practice, traveling around, and sitting on the bench.

Trueblood
05-22-2017, 02:26 PM
Tony isn't getting traded. He will play his whole career as a Spur, no exceptions. Neither he nor the Spurs organization would have that any other way. If he's healthy enough to play, he plays here. I know he could be traded to a team with tons of cap room, with the intention of waiving him right afterward. But there are so many things wrong with that, I'm not even going to discuss it. He's not getting traded.

I agree in principle. Tony isn't being traded against his will but that doesn't mean he won't choose to retire via a trade and waive. If we find a team willing and offer a second rounder or something for it then the Spurs could save huge money and salary cap space.

Tony could come back to the team and say he's done and agree to do this to get his salary off the books. But again, that would end up being his choice.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-22-2017, 02:52 PM
He was a calming influence in games and ran the offense way better than folks give him credit for in here. We might be 2-2 with GS right now, even with Kawhi being out had Tony not gone down. I think the Spurs could have hung on in game 1 and game 3 using Mills in a reserve role and starting Tony. Murray is too green and Mills has proven he's best as bench juice.

If the trade and waive were to happen the Spurs' off season focus needs to be strengthening the point position...and the center spot...power forward spot...shooting guard, etc.........

pad300
05-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Comment from a Nets fan:

You got the joke wrong: "Shoot Stalin in the head then shoot Hitler in the head; take my time and ENJOY strangling Billy King to death..."

tmtcsc
05-22-2017, 03:06 PM
All this love for TP is over-blown. He was the least of the Big 3 and rarely stepped his game up in the playoffs. The only time he really shined was when he went up against the corpses Cleveland had to start in the finals. Boobie Gibson, Larry Hughes and Eric Snow :lol:lol. Kudos to him I guess for making his layups.

His injury was a blip to me. His good play was the outlier - not what we saw during the regular season. Yes - dude is done for sure now and was done before the injury. He contributed some good play and was more effective than Aldridge, but is that really saying much? He made some 3 pointers and a few jump shots but never helped boost anyone else's game.

Whatever. I'm ready for the team to move on from him and won't shed one nostalgic tear. He's going to collect 15 Million while rehabbing and that will be the end.

tmtcsc
05-22-2017, 03:11 PM
We might be 2-2 with GS right now, even with Kawhi being out had Tony not gone down.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0t2esR4BX1r3x77fo1_500.gif

You got this all twisted. We wouldn't be talking about Klay Thompson's lack of scoring if TP had stayed healthy. He'd be getting torched, posted up, etc.. just as much as Aldridge.

objective
05-22-2017, 03:18 PM
I laugh when people talk about Mills fitting the Spurs perfectly.

Perfectly awful is what is playoff shooting is.

2nd round and after the last 2 years he's been pure trash.

14% 3pt in the WCF, he is an awesome fit if the goal is to lose.

And Parker is awful also.

Get rid of both.

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2017, 03:26 PM

Get rid of both.

I agree with this.

Mills might be the most overrated player on this board just for hitting shots sometimes.. tbh..

I hope he's gone.

sasaint
05-22-2017, 03:36 PM

Get rid of both.

I love Patty, but he has been very inconsistent during the season, and has completely shriveled up and died in the playoffs. We don't need him anymore. Tony, on the other hand, is better than you will likely concede. In some ways, he is Mills' opposite; he was very inconsistent (and injured a lot) during the season, only to rise to the occasion in the playoffs. However, especially after this injury, we need to find a way to get him off the roster and his contract off the books.

It is Murray Time. Pop needs to throw him into the fire just as he did Tony as a rookie. He is better now than Tony was then. With Dijon starting the Spurs are unlikely to win 60 games or have the second best record in the league, but they could be just as ready for the playoffs as they have been in recent years. If the Dubs and Cavs stay intact next season, it is hard to see any moves that would clearly propel us past them in any case. Just say no to CP3, Lowry, Hill et al.

objective
05-22-2017, 03:39 PM
At least Hill and Holiday have the size and skill to play off the ball with Murray and not need to be hidden on defense.

God I wish the team had the pieces to be aggressive on defense all over.

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2017, 03:43 PM
God I wish the team had the pieces to be aggressive on defense all over.

Yes.

This is the recipe I like. Paying a shooter who can't defend 12-15 million per year would be a massive mistake.

I'm convinced, if you're paying a player 10+ mil per year, he has to be a strong defender at the very least. If not, you're spinning tires and making no real ground on the Warriors or Cavs.

ElNono
05-22-2017, 03:47 PM
This is it, tbh, but you can be a super-sub making $14m a year...

Mal
05-22-2017, 03:49 PM
This is it, tbh, but you can be a super-sub making $14m a year...

Will he be ? That one of nasties injuries that can occur. Spurs really cannot afford to wait for him till ASG weekend, and see what happens then.

ElNono
05-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Will he be ? That one of nasties injuries that can occur. Spurs really cannot afford to wait for him till ASG weekend, and see what happens then.

:pop: "Yes we can"

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2017, 03:53 PM
People are really overreacting to a 7-8 game sample size, tbh:lol

Mal
05-22-2017, 03:58 PM
People are really overreacting to a 7-8 game sample size, tbh:lol

Simmons really showed up, when he`s got his real chance, and those are the playoffs. He`s not young, but I believe he hasn`t shown his all. There is still plenty of place to grow in fields like shooting, team defense, decision making.

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Simmons really showed up, when he`s got his real chance, and those are the playoffs. He`s not young, but I believe he hasn`t shown his all. There is still plenty of place to grow in fields like shooting, team defense, decision making.

I was referring to Parker's playoff run..it was a nice end to his career, tbh, but it shouldn't have any bearing on the future..

Mal
05-22-2017, 04:05 PM
I was referring to Parker's playoff run..it was a nice end to his career, tbh, but it shouldn't have any bearing on the future..

Yeah of course, I would want to get rid of him, even if injury wouldn`t occur. No idea, why I thought you were saying about Simmons. I really would try to shop his deal to team needing to add salaries - Kings, 76ers. If you stay with him after the comeback, you`ll have to sign him for next 2 years or something, and he won`t play for vet min.

spursistan
05-22-2017, 04:42 PM
I agree with this.

Mills might be the most overrated player on this board just for hitting shots sometimes.. tbh..

I hope he's gone.

He might be the most overrated Spurs role player ever (though I still I have S Jax ahead). Mills being a great character guy has enhanced his reputation as a basketball player in an unwarranted manner.

Gary Neal-- a player with similar skillset-- had close to the same contribution to this team throughout the years, but he didn't have an international appeal to go with a quirky English accent and didn't "get over himself" in the end. As a result he hasn't been held in the same regard by Spurs fans.

Patty has been living off few back-breaking shots against the Heat three years ago-- when every Spur and their mother were hitting them, really. The idea that he has bailed out Parker during that run is an even bigger falsehood. Manu and Diaw were the primary "secondary playmakers" during that run when TP was hobbled and in-and-out of the line up.

Spurs need to move on.. Their whole approach to roster reconstruction in next few years should prioritize Talent/Fit > Culture/Character..

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2017, 06:32 PM
He might be the most overrated Spurs role player ever (though I still I have S Jax ahead). Mills being a great character guy has enhanced his reputation as a basketball player in an unwarranted manner.

Gary Neal-- a player with similar skillset-- had close to the same contribution to this team throughout the years, but he didn't have an international appeal to go with a quirky English accent and didn't "get over himself" in the end. As a result he hasn't been held in the same regard by Spurs fans.

Patty has been living off few back-breaking shots against the Heat three years ago-- when every Spur and their mother were hitting them, really. The idea that he has bailed out Parker during that run is an even bigger falsehood. Manu and Diaw were the primary "secondary playmakers" during that run when TP was hobbled and in-and-out of the line up.

Spurs need to move on.. Their whole approach to roster reconstruction in next few years should prioritize Talent/Fit > Culture/Character..

Pretty damn solid take.

Nice one Spursistan

duncan2k5
05-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Parker is done...if he doesnt retire, make him a backup...Murray needs to be our starter...if we cant resign mills for cheap, let him go and get another sharpshooting PG that isnt scared to shoot like Forbes is

picnroll
05-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Parker will likely return sometime after the all-star break, how long after and how effective remains to be seen. Murray should get a ton of playing time. Hopefully he can add weight, dribble lower and develop something other than a high arcing floater, an inefficient low percentage shot. Pop will never do it but would be a good year to tank and reload.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21813442/?i=2&from=/23735426/related

Capt Bringdown
05-22-2017, 08:11 PM
I admire the way he was playing in the post-season before the injury, but he's merely a shadow of his former self.

It seems that every away announcer I watched this year was making comments about his dramatic drop-off, and what it meant for the Spurs.

Everything great must come to an end, and I think he should hang up his sneakers. A stellar career...finis.

CGD
05-22-2017, 08:26 PM
More critically, is this the end of the David Lee era?