PDA

View Full Version : Should’ve traded for Harris and the Clipper picks instead of DeRozan

Amuseddaysleeper
01-20-2019, 09:51 PM
But the Spurs didn’t want to send nephew home because of their pride and went for the worse package from the Raptors

slick'81
01-20-2019, 09:53 PM
If it was harris and two #1's the spurs should have seriously considered but who knows!?

GreekSpursfan
01-20-2019, 09:56 PM
I bet that was never on the table because if it was then i agree

Chinook
01-20-2019, 10:04 PM
Could certainly consider it if you'd known the guards were going to look so good. Still wouldn't have been that great unless the team could have turned those picks into more than prospects. Three guys drafted between 12-18 would have made for an awkward roster. Had they been able to work a deal for Kemba and held onto Green, that would have been interesting

Kemba, Murray
Green, White
Gay
Harris, Bertans
Aldridge, Gasol

While also having a pretty decent cap position. Maybe Gay doesn't re-up if DeRozan isn't part of the deal. Oh well. I really do like the team as is. DeMar just needs to get his head on straight.

Fusternino
01-20-2019, 10:10 PM
I kept saying Kawhi for Harris/Harrell S&T/12/13 and was continually told it was an awful return.

LOL.

Spurs da champs
01-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Poetl will forever be the worst part of the deal with the Raptors.

Hoops Czar
01-20-2019, 10:21 PM
But the Spurs didn’t want to send nephew home because of their pride and went for the worse package from the Raptors
Yeah, but you should have seen all the girls scouts in the forum that wanted DeRozen, not to mention Timvp's post about DDR's dynamic offensive ability and HH37 calling him a star.

Hoops Czar
01-20-2019, 10:28 PM
DeRozan on the season has a team leading on-off of -11.1 so it shouldn't even come as a surprise that he was a team leading -14 vs the Clippers.

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2019, 10:28 PM
Trade both picks and whoever for Harris and Motley. Drunkford's ego couldn't send Kawhi to LA even if the better deal was there

TXstbobcat
01-20-2019, 10:29 PM
We don’t even know if that offer was ever on the table.

Hoops Czar
01-20-2019, 10:30 PM
Also, like the Lakers, the Clippers never would have made that trade because they were dealing from a position of strength.

sananspursfan21
01-20-2019, 11:16 PM
Oh geez, here we go...

BatManu20
01-20-2019, 11:31 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/ncbdoCpKerEbK/giphy.gif

Budkin
01-20-2019, 11:33 PM
Give me a break. Dude is in a slump.

Chinook
01-20-2019, 11:50 PM
I kept saying Kawhi for Harris/Harrell S&T/12/13 and was continually told it was an awful return.

LOL.

How many times are you going to say that and act like it was possible? You apparently remember being slighted, so I find it hard to believe you've forgotten the objective problems with the deal.

Fusternino
01-21-2019, 12:14 AM
Yes, the Spurs never showed their hand with who they wanted drafted.

Anyways, awful game. At least the defense looked better in the 2nd half, tbh.

daslicer
01-21-2019, 12:31 AM
Don't care TBH Harris and Harrell are not game changers.

tbdog
01-21-2019, 12:41 AM
Firstly, to see how low the comparison is, you are comparing one of the worst DD runs in recent years to Harris best career run. Despite that, DD stats over the course of the season is ever so slightly better, to go along with some clutch shots this season. Over the 3 games they have played each other, they are pretty close.

DD 22ppg 8.3reb 4.6ast 2.6stl 1blk 2.6to 41% 0% 86%
TH 20.3ppg 8reb 5.6ast 1.3stl .6blk 1.6to 52% 41% 66%

Harris is a free agent and DD is locked up for another season. There is no comparison, Spurs did the right choice getting Tor package over LAC.

DAF86
01-21-2019, 12:56 AM
Easily. Would have a better team now:

White/Mills or Alexander
Green/Belinelli
Gay/Bridges or Forbes
Harris/Bertans
Aldridge/Gasol or Harrel

And all those promising pieces for the future: Alexander, Harris, White, Murray, Walker, Bridges, Bertans, Harrel, Forbes, Metu.

It would have been the mother of all rebuilds while still competing.

Play Boban
01-21-2019, 01:10 AM
Poetl will forever be the worst part of the deal with the Raptors.
Go back to watching the Teletubbies tbh.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-21-2019, 01:33 AM

White/Mills or Alexander
Green/Belinelli
Gay/Bridges or Forbes
Harris/Bertans
Aldridge/Gasol or Harrel

And all those promising pieces for the future: Alexander, Harris, White, Murray, Walker, Bridges, Bertans, Harrel, Forbes, Metu.

With the goods per par :tu

MoSpur02
01-21-2019, 02:03 AM
Clippers were fallback plan if the deal with/Toronto wouldn't have gone through.

Spurs da champs
01-21-2019, 02:17 AM
Go back to watching the Teletubbies tbh.
Thought you had something smart to say for once, obviously I was wrong. Back to ignore you go.

tbdog
01-21-2019, 02:24 AM

White/Mills or Alexander
Green/Belinelli
Gay/Bridges or Forbes
Harris/Bertans
Aldridge/Gasol or Harrel

Remove Harrell because it would be impossible. Essentially your swapping Alexander, Bridges and Green for Poeltl here, and Spurs are yet to use raptors pick and could also lose Harris (or over pay him greatly).

By the off season it could be Alexander, bridges for Leonard. Bravo, what a future.

UnWantedTheory
01-21-2019, 03:05 AM

LOL.
You were also continuously told of it's impossibility. I believe it was Chinook who broke it down for you bruh.

DAF86
01-21-2019, 06:14 AM
Remove Harrell because it would be impossible. Essentially your swapping Alexander, Bridges and Green for Poeltl here, and Spurs are yet to use raptors pick and could also lose Harris (or over pay him greatly).

By the off season it could be Alexander, bridges for Leonard. Bravo, what a future.

How's that still not better than what we got? :lol

Rusty
01-21-2019, 07:03 AM
Clippers definitely offered Harris and picks. Spurs just didn't want to oblige Kawhi

Clippers GM is stalking Kawhi this entire season for christ sakes:lol

duncan2k5
01-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Firstly, to see how low the comparison is, you are comparing one of the worst DD runs in recent years to Harris best career run. Despite that, DD stats over the course of the season is ever so slightly better, to go along with some clutch shots this season. Over the 3 games they have played each other, they are pretty close.

DD 22ppg 8.3reb 4.6ast 2.6stl 1blk 2.6to 41% 0% 86%
TH 20.3ppg 8reb 5.6ast 1.3stl .6blk 1.6to 52% 41% 66%

Harris is a free agent and DD is locked up for another season. There is no comparison, Spurs did the right choice getting Tor package over LAC.

Lol

Twisted_Dawg
01-21-2019, 08:34 AM
I'm even thinking some of those early wild rumored offers from the Lakers would have been far better than the horrible Raptor trade.

TheGreatYacht
01-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Don't care TBH Harris and Harrell are not game changers.
And that's why you're the forum clown :lol

Harrell is elite on both sides. He's a 20 & 10 guy if allowed to start and he's a great defender. If that's not a game changer you're smoking penis, buddy. As for Tobias, I'd swap him for DePression right now. You can't teach 44% shooting from three.

TheGreatYacht
01-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Aldridge/Harrell
Gay/Bertans
Harris
Walker/Belinelli
White/Forbes

Thats a second seed in the West, at worst. Amick reported that the Clips were also willing to part with one of their two lottery picks as well. PATFO put their ego ahead of the team once again. Couldn't let Kawhi haunt this franchise in the West and let him be in LA even if it was the best deal.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2019, 09:27 AM
DeRozan deal was BY FAR the best option for what Pop wanted to accomplish(keep the team relevant, acquire a name, don't give Kawhi what he wants)..what the posters here wanted is literally meaningless..

TheGreatYacht
01-21-2019, 09:46 AM
DeRozan deal was BY FAR the best option for what Pop wanted to accomplish(keep the team relevant, acquire a name, don't give Kawhi what he wants)..
Yup. Said this the day the trade happened. Be good enough to get swept in the first round.

what the posters here wanted is literally meaningless..
Everything that is posted here is meaningless :lol it's a forum...

ECOV
01-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Cry babies :lobt2:

Fusternino
01-21-2019, 09:56 AM
It wasn't an impossible deal, it just required a lot of pre-planning 1) heavily hinting at who to pick at 12/13 and 2) hoping no one threw a crazy offer at Harrell.

I still think Spurs pick LWIV and probably go for Miles Bridges. We'd still need a big and Mitchell Robinson was on the radar.

Unfortunately, PATFO were too delusional (thinking they would keep Kawhi even in early-mid July) so they never showed the signs Jerry West needed to see.

Murray/White/Mills
Green/LWIV
Gay/Bridges
Harris/Harrell
LMA/Gasol/Robinson

And yes some of the criticism was from the logistics of the trade (needed certain chips to fall into place) but a majority of it was just people telling me it was an awful return. On the Spurs subreddit it was almost entirely telling me it would be an awful return.

I would've just been happy to have Harris over DDR for age, defensive and spacing reasons.

james evans
01-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Seeing spurs fans turn on DD for being himself is like trump supporters mad cuz they ain’t being paid

CGD
01-21-2019, 10:15 AM
Was Harris and the 2 picks actually on the table though? That was a lot of conjecture on this forum, but not clear that was offered right?

Anyway, I think SA balked because they wanted cost control over the “established star” and Harris can still walk

superbigtime
01-21-2019, 10:58 AM
I don't fault FO. People woulda been screaming had KL been traded to LA. DDR is in a funk, but he is a moody surly guy for sure.

duncan2150
01-21-2019, 11:03 AM
But harell was not in any package. We should talk about Harris and picks.

And i also think that harell is a very interesting player since his collège days.

Chinook
01-21-2019, 11:21 AM
It wasn't an impossible deal, it just required a lot...

... a lot of illegal tampering. You could literally just stop adding Harrell into the deal, and it would be legal, but you won't and probably didn't back when folks were giving your flack. Your scenario where the Clippers draft for the Spurs without knowing that a trade is there isn't realistic, and any bit of security PATFO could offer would have been against the rules.

Chinook
01-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Was Harris and the 2 picks actually on the table though? That was a lot of conjecture on this forum, but not clear that was offered right?

Anyway, I think SA balked because they wanted cost control over the “established star” and Harris can still walk

It was on the table in the sense that I think most felt like LAC would go that high if forced, but we never saw an offer than had both picks or Harris added in. I think it was something like one of the picks and Gallo. Remember, West is the same guy who apparently wanted a first to switch Avery Bradley for Danny Green. Not someone who's looking to just make a fair deal with PATFO.

SuperCam
01-21-2019, 11:37 AM
I was saying this all off season, as others will attest to. poop let his ego and hurt feelings get in the way of this one

SuperCam
01-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Aldridge/Harrell
Gay/Bertans
Harris
Walker/Belinelli
White/Forbes

Thats a second seed in the West, at worst. Amick reported that the Clips were also willing to part with one of their two lottery picks as well. PATFO put their ego ahead of the team once again. Couldn't let Kawhi haunt this franchise in the West and let him be in LA even if it was the best deal.

not to mention no long term cap tie ups in DeCancer smh :bang

rascal
01-21-2019, 07:18 PM
I also said the Clipper trade was the way to go and draft Mikal Bridges and Porter at 12 and 13. You take a shot at Porter because of his star potential.

rascal
01-21-2019, 07:21 PM
I don't fault FO. People woulda been screaming had KL been traded to LA. DDR is in a funk, but he is a moody surly guy for sure.

It would have been better sending him to the Clippers than having him end up with the Lakers next year.

tbdog
01-21-2019, 09:56 PM
How's that still not better than what we got? :lol

Because next year DD and Poeltl alone is better than Bridges and Alexander. Not to mention the Tor pick has yet to be used.

DAF86
01-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Because next year DD and Poeltl alone is better than Bridges and Alexander. Not to mention the Tor pick has yet to be used.

Yeah, no. I would rather have the two promising rooks and the cap space. With them at least you have the hope of uncertainty. You already know what you're gonna get with DeRozan, and I have to say, it's not something that is very exciting to me.

Degoat
01-21-2019, 10:21 PM
It’s just a rough stretch for DeMar, people need to chill. It’s not like any team other then the warriors are gonna win it this year. Just gotta hope the spurs remain a playoff team and eventually find another potential star in the draft

SequSpur
01-21-2019, 10:49 PM
I agree. DeRozan has no balls and is soft.. Poetl? LMAO......

Pop should've been fired.

rascal
01-21-2019, 11:04 PM
It’s just a rough stretch for DeMar, people need to chill. It’s not like any team other then the warriors are gonna win it this year. Just gotta hope the spurs remain a playoff team and eventually find another potential star in the draft

If you want them to find a star then it is better they fall into the lottery and get lucky to get a top 5 pick.

tbdog
01-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Yeah, no. I would rather have the two promising rooks and the cap space. With them at least you have the hope of uncertainty. You already know what you're gonna get with DeRozan, and I have to say, it's not something that is very exciting to me.

There is an outside chance that any of those rooks would ever be close to as good as DD. And unsure how much cap space would be available or could be used on a market where there are a lot of teams with cap space this off season coming. There would be a good chance that Spurs may have to part ways with LMA and rebuild. That would be exciting /s

DAF86
01-21-2019, 11:50 PM
There is an outside chance that any of those rooks would ever be close to as good as DD. And unsure how much cap space would be available or could be used on a market where there are a lot of teams with cap space this off season coming. There would be a good chance that Spurs may have to part ways with LMA and rebuild. That would be exciting /s

Mmh, yeah.

Degoat
01-21-2019, 11:53 PM
If you want them to find a star then it is better they fall into the lottery and get lucky to get a top 5 pick.

I agree it would be sweet to have a top 5 pick but I have confidence the spurs can find a star late in the draft as well. I mean dejounte was the 29th pick and people in the spurs organization believe he’ll be an all star one day. White has looked awesome this year to me, and I still have high hopes for Lonnie walker too.

tbdog
01-22-2019, 12:56 AM
Mmh, yeah.

So yay for playoff droughts.

Mirrornick
01-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Harris was not even that good last year. He is in a contract year.

vavvi
01-22-2019, 07:52 AM
Harris is not that good in general. It's a massive overreaction on the game we should have won by 30 if we showed at least some effort.