https://i.imgur.com/4u98WfQ.jpg

Rui Hachimura

School: Gonzaga
Position: SF/PF
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 230
Wingspan: 7-foot-2
Draft Range: 5 to 20

Why: The Japan native passes the eye-test as being an NBA athlete: coordinated in the open floor, muscular frame, quick off the ground and long arms. Efficient scorer who can shoot from a variety of spots on the court, including beyond the arc (shot 41.7% on threes). Also scores on strong drives to the basket and in the low block. Has the tools and quickness to eventually become a multi-purpose defender. Oh, and his favorite team is the Spurs (https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/11/27/rui-hachimura-gonzaga-japan-parents-stats-nba).

Why Not: Started playing basketball at 14 so, not surprisingly, his instincts are a work in progress. His basketball IQ is improving but it still projects to be a hindrance early in his NBA career. Won't be skilled enough on Day 1 to play out on the perimeter. Not a natural passer or dribbler. Range on jumper is questionable, as he averaged only one three-point attempt per game. Has the size to be a small-ish PF but not much of a rebounder and doesn't always play with the requisite physicality.

Spurs Fit: He'd be in Austin for much of his rookie season. Would likely first earn minutes as a small ball PF with hopes that he'd eventually become a full-time SF.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: More Powerful Sean Elliott

Spurs Comparison - Floor: More Clueless Drew Gooden

College Stats (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rui-hachimura-1.html)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmzoB8WNQh0)
Tankathon Profile (http://www.tankathon.com/players/rui-hachimura)
NBADraftRoom Profile (http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/rui-hachimura.html)

Uriel
05-04-2019, 04:14 AM
He’s a Spurs fan? Sign me up.

John B
05-04-2019, 06:23 AM
This guy I like. Does Spurs have a chance to pick him at 19th or should they trade for him if he’s around 14?

duncan2150
05-04-2019, 06:25 AM
Like i said i’m not a fan for our team. He has a mid range Game offensively not a lot other things , not that good on defense, average rebouding.

He has tools to become a good player but he is not a need imo.

picnroll
05-04-2019, 06:43 AM
Gonzaga player I’d love to see Spurs go after is Brandon Clarke but highly unlikely he’ll be there when the Spurs pick.

duncan2150
05-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Gonzaga player I’d love to see Spurs go after is Brandon Clarke but highly unlikely he’ll be there when the Spurs pick.

Imo he has a better chance To be there than Rui. There is a possibility.

sananspursfan21
05-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Great wingspan in a wingspan obsessed league. He’s got the tools, just needs to keep working on the mental game. But, that’s what the G-League is for, get him Pop/RC!

DAF86
05-04-2019, 10:24 AM
6'8" forward combo? That's the type of player we need.

Spurs Homer
05-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Great wingspan in a wingspan obsessed league. He’s got the tools, just needs to keep working on the mental game. But, that’s what the G-League is for, get him Pop/RC!

Wingspan schwingspan -

Kawhi had an awesome wingspan - and he quit and he took that wingspan to canada -

give me a player with heart and integrity.

look_at_g_shred
05-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Wingspan schwingspan -

Kawhi had an awesome wingspan - and he quit and he took that wingspan to canada -

Patty Mills ? Lmao

r0drig0lac
05-04-2019, 10:34 AM
unfortunately it will be chosen before the 19th pick

sananspursfan21
05-04-2019, 10:54 AM
unfortunately it will be chosen before the 19th pick

Though perhaps technically unconfirmed, I would assume he’s a male...

RC_Drunkford
05-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Wingspan schwingspan -

Rui is a Spurs fan. Is that enough integrity for you?

Spurs Homer
05-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Rui is a Spurs fan. Is that enough integrity for you?

sure

if he has heart and is not a quitter

R. DeMurre
05-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Interesting player for sure. I think the 3pt% is a little misleading, based on less than 1 APG. But his 2pt% is incredible: 269/429 for 60.6%. He's not in love with the three ball, though he probably should be at least a little more. Ironically, that might make him more appealing to the Spurs.

He has a Beninese father and a Japanese mother: it's cool to think of how many new international fans will be rooting for him.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-04-2019, 12:28 PM
If he's available RC will draft him like he did Kyle Anderson, just cause he's a fan and the "quintessential Spur"

LCM
05-04-2019, 12:29 PM
He's not going to last til 19. Teams like Miami, Detroit, Nets, and Pacers will grab him quick. The best trade partner is Charlotte because they have a ton of money locked up in the Forward position already. They can cut TP because his option is a team option opening more playing time for Graham at back up PG, plus Kemba and Lamb are UFA. If Rui is your guy, then you offer a combination of picks and ONE of DJ, LW4, or DW. Charlotte needs guards and this is guard heavy draft.

Chinook
05-04-2019, 12:38 PM
I like him anywhere after 10 or so. I'm really hoping Clarke falls

R. DeMurre
05-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Same here. Clarke is suddenly showing at #s 8, 9, 10 in a bunch of mocks, so it'll be interesting to see where he really goes. His story is pretty similar to D White's, except he's more well known.

Chinook
05-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Same here. Clarke is suddenly showing at #s 8, 9, 10 in a bunch of mocks, so it'll be interesting to see where he really goes. His story is pretty similar to D White's, except he's more well known.

I could see him around 15 or so. He's old enough to scare off a lot of teams, but I think a lot of folks don't realize just how good Brandon was last year. Dude was literally the only player in Zion's stratosphere. There's playing well against college competition and then there's dominating the college game in a way we rarely see. Clarke did the latter. I can see how he'd fail, but he doesn't have to be nearly as good in the pros to be worth a top-20 pick.

Strategic
05-04-2019, 12:57 PM
His only U.S. home has been in Washington state. He’s probably a Spurs fan because he’s heard the Spurs are best chance for Seattle to land a team. Smh

Maddog
05-04-2019, 01:48 PM
:bobo
KANPAI!

Leetonidas
05-04-2019, 02:10 PM
I like him. He has good size and imo the fact that he has only begun playing ball fairly recently might actually be a good thing. He hasn't had as much time to develop bad habits and didn't grow up playing in the lame AAU system so he might be the right kind of player the coaching staff can mold

ace3g
05-04-2019, 02:11 PM
The one thing I noticed that needs to be corrected -- he has a hitch at the top of his release point which caused a couple of his late game shots get blocked.

emanueldavidginobili
05-04-2019, 04:49 PM
I like him a lot I watched a lot of him this season. Unfortunately he will be off the board before the 19th pick.

FkLA
05-04-2019, 05:27 PM
Never heard of him but just based on YT vids that's our next Nephew, bruh. I think he'd be an instant contributor and eventual starter at SF his rookie year just like Nephew. And he's international so you know he won't bail on us once he blows up.

Do whatever needs to be done to move up and secure him. Instagram Baller+pick, imo.

Dennis the Menace
05-04-2019, 05:36 PM
I like him a lot I watched a lot of him this season. Unfortunately he will be off the board before the 19th pick.

Trade up

phxspurfan
05-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Too much of a project for the first round pick. Also a product of the NCAA hype machine (big school). Would rather an under the radar guy or high risk high reward guy than a limited hyped up project guy who at best will be a role player

FkLA
05-04-2019, 06:26 PM
I could see him around 15 or so. He's old enough to scare off a lot of teams, but I think a lot of folks don't realize just how good Brandon was last year. Dude was literally the only player in Zion's stratosphere. There's playing well against college competition and then there's dominating the college game in a way we rarely see. Clarke did the latter. I can see how he'd fail, but he doesn't have to be nearly as good in the pros to be worth a top-20 pick.

Does this guy have a jump shot? Watched a draft strengths video and most of his 36 point game vs Baylor...and I think I saw one fadeaway out of a post-up. Everything else was bully ball drives.

FkLA
05-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Does anybody else see what I see? This guy is the one. The more I watch, the more I'm blown away. Please get him, RC.

Dennis the Menace
05-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Does anybody else see what I see? This guy is the one. The more I watch, the more I'm blown away. Please get him, RC.

Giannis/Kawhi if he has the work ethic and is developed properly

GusT15
05-04-2019, 08:51 PM

https://twitter.com/rui_8mura/status/1118650581713735680

Dunno man.. Who's this "Uncle D" he is talking about?

(His instagram looks pretty clean and only basketball related though,so there's that at least)

CGD
05-04-2019, 09:17 PM

I don’t understand why some mocks have Clarke dropping beyond 10. Are they being lazy and just docking him for his age? Dude is a stud.

Chinook
05-04-2019, 10:39 PM
I don’t understand why some mocks have Clarke dropping beyond 10. Are they being lazy and just docking him for his age? Dude is a stud.

Dude is a stud, but the age is a big deal. He has legit holes in his game, and he hasn't been able to fix them in five years of college ball. He's likely too small to just be a bull in a china shop against pros. He'll need to develop some range and enough perimeter skills to play the four in the modern game. He has the body to do that, but the skills are a red flag.

You almost have to draft him resigned to him not gaining any more tools and hoping he can give 50 percent of what he did in college to your team. Most teams in the top 10 can't afford that, as uber as Clarke was last year.

Chinook
05-04-2019, 10:41 PM
Does this guy have a jump shot? Watched a draft strengths video and most of his 36 point game vs Baylor...and I think I saw one fadeaway out of a post-up. Everything else was bully ball drives.

I don't think he does. He seems somewhere between and young Blake and Capela in terms of how he gets his points. I'd take the risk at 19 easy that he can develop something to let him get enough minutes to show his other good traits (like being the best defender in the country). Not every team can do that.

Chinook
05-04-2019, 10:43 PM
Too much of a project for the first round pick. Also a product of the NCAA hype machine (big school). Would rather an under the radar guy or high risk high reward guy than a limited hyped up project guy who at best will be a role player

Don't think it's a hype thing. Dude was one of the best offensive players in the nation last year (talking Rui here, though Clarke was too). That plus his physical profile is enough to warrant a lottery pick. If a team thinks he can play the three in the modern game, he's a tremendous prospect. If he's a four or big only, he'll need to show better defense to make it.

BillMc
05-04-2019, 10:45 PM
https://twitter.com/rui_8mura/status/1118650581713735680

Dunno man.. Who's this "Uncle D" he is talking about?

(His instagram looks pretty clean and only basketball related though,so there's that at least)

Don't like the words "Uncle D" coming from any prospective Spur. :lol

kobyz
05-05-2019, 05:06 AM
No way he is not a top 8 pick, ready player with potential to improve, at least he's a Kyle Kuzma, but also has some Glenn Robinson in him...

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 05:13 AM
the real question is: would Pop send him to the G-League?

picnroll
05-05-2019, 07:02 AM
Too many draft analysts say Hachimura’s got a low basketball iq. That means 2 years in the g league if the Spurs take him. Maybe 29, not the 19. Again love to get his teammate Brandon Clarke though. Clarke is all over the place but with many having in the top 10 though.

Dejounte
05-05-2019, 07:16 AM
No thanks on this guy. Not falling for the hype. Hes no different than players who have fallen out of the league and didnt make it and subsequently we picked up to put on our G league team (Moore, Huestis, Blossomgame). His lack of master of any skill is concerning. Hes nowhere near Kawhis level in college. He lacks the fluidity Kawhi had. He doesnt have big hands. His ceiling is a poor mans Rudy Gay.

bluebellmaniac
05-05-2019, 07:57 AM
No thanks on this guy. Not falling for the hype. Hes no different than players who have fallen out of the league and didnt make it and subsequently we picked up to put on our G league team (Moore, Huestis, Blossomgame). His lack of master of any skill is concerning. Hes nowhere near Kawhis level in college. He lacks the fluidity Kawhi had. He doesnt have big hands. His ceiling is a poor mans Rudy Gay.

Love it when there's been talk of two players over the last several posts and then have a post that doesn't specify who the hell they are talking about. Let's just apply it to both players.

Dejounte
05-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Love it when there's been talk of two players over the last several posts and then have a post that doesn't specify who the hell they are talking about. Let's just apply it to both players.

Umm talking about the guy in the subject title. Yall strayed away from the topic at hand. Brandon Clarke will have his own topic.

FkLA
05-05-2019, 10:54 AM
He's nowhere near Kawhis level in college. He lacks the fluidity Kawhi had.

:lol What are you talking about? If we're talking strictly offense, Rui looks much more polished than Nephew looked out of college (Rui came out of college a year older though tbf). Nephew was touted as an elite defender/rebounder, his offensive game was a big question mark. He's never been a fluid guy, his movements have always been kind of robotic even to this day. It's the fact that he's a physical specimen that makes him as great as he is, not his fluidity. Durbeta for example is fluid.

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 10:57 AM

Kawhi couldn't score like that in college. Hachimura has improved every season, he got the right work ethic and fits the Spurs character wise. He could also turn into a Kawhi/Giannis type player. Hard to make a prognosis, but I'd love to draft him. A player who played 3 years in college and was one of the top players and scorers there can definitely play in the NBA right away and doesn't have to get sent to the G-League. His defensive weaknesses can easily be turned into strengths, especially by Pop. It'll come down to him having a jump shot or not and we got Chip so I'd take my chances

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Kawhi couldn't score like that in college. Hachimura has improved every season, he got the right work ethic and fits the Spurs character wise. He could also turn into a Kawhi/Giannis type player. Hard to make a prognosis, but I'd love to draft him. A player who played 3 years in college and was one of the top players and scorers there can definitely play in the NBA right away and doesn't have to get sent to the G-League. His defensive weaknesses can easily be turned into strengths, especially by Pop. It'll come down to him having a jump shot or not and we got Chip so I'd take my chances

Exactly. It's much easier to judge who the better college player is at the time of the draft than to see hidden potential. All the players who'd be available to the Spurs are going to have major flaws, the question is who's the player who can improve and unlock skills that he hasn't shown before. No one thought the snake would become such a good and efficient offensive player, by draft time his comparison was Gerald Wallace.

I like Rui's potential, sure he's not elite at anything and that's a problem but it's easy to see how he could become a good shooter, scorer and even decent defensively with the tools he has. Not that us fans could ever judge that, but the Spurs have shown they can, so I'd be excited with whoever they get with their picks, even players I dislike ( Cameron Johnson, Herro, Goga, Jerome, Samanic ). Just hope they don't draft and stash.

itzsoweezee
05-05-2019, 11:56 AM
He's good. I'd love to see him on the Spurs

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Exactly. It's much easier to judge who the better college player is at the time of the draft than to see hidden potential. All the players who'd be available to the Spurs are going to have major flaws, the question is who's the player who can improve and unlock skills that he hasn't shown before. No one thought the snake would become such a good and efficient offensive player, by draft time his comparison was Gerald Wallace.

I like Rui's potential, sure he's not elite at anything and that's a problem but it's easy to see how he could become a good shooter, scorer and even decent defensively with the tools he has. Not that us fans could ever judge that, but the Spurs have shown they can, so I'd be excited with whoever they get with their picks, even players I dislike ( Cameron Johnson, Herro, Goga, Jerome, Samanic ). Just hope they don't draft and stash.

Spurs need to get Rui and Goga. A White/Murray/Walker/Hachimura/Goga core is championship material

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Spurs need to get Rui and Goga. A White/Murray/Walker/Hachimura/Goga core is championship material

I don't see a top 5 NBA player in this group, so I doubt they could compete (or even a top 20 for that matter), but I'd be happy with Rui and Goga as picks. Don't like Goga because drafting him would pretty much mean they've totally given up on bringing Milutinov over but I'd be OK with him at 29 if he's there, which is unlikely.

RC_Drunkford
05-05-2019, 12:43 PM
I don't see a top 5 NBA player in this group, so I doubt they could compete (or even a top 20 for that matter), but I'd be happy with Rui and Goga as picks. Don't like Goga because drafting him would pretty much mean they've totally given up on bringing Milutinov over but I'd be OK with him at 29 if he's there, which is unlikely.

true but all of them could be borderline All-Stars if they develop the right way. It's basically something like Conley/Westbrook/Mitchell/Giannis/Gasol

cool cat
05-05-2019, 01:18 PM
The guy is going top 10 for sure, no way we are getting him.

Dejounte
05-05-2019, 02:51 PM
No, he will not turn into Kawhi / Giannis. These comparisons are laughable. He looks like his ceiling is a garbage mans version of Melo. He has nowhere near the look of a Kawhi, Giannis caliber player. I think people watch a few highlight dunks of his and assume thats something he will become. P.S Kawhi did showcase more offensive skills / instincts than Rui has. People like to make the narrative that the Spurs created Kawhi from a blank canvas. Thats not true. They just helped polished his existing skills.

Boomersgold
05-05-2019, 09:03 PM

I don't think he does. He seems somewhere between and young Blake and Capela in terms of how he gets his points. I'd take the risk at 19 easy that he can develop something to let him get enough minutes to show his other good traits (like being the best defender in the country). Not every team can do that.

This kid's got extensive FIBA experience playing against the best international talent; he represented the men's national team in 2018 and helped Japan, a team comprised of no-names, defeat Australia which featured a few NBA players. Anyone who's watched him play, especially his FIBA games, knows that his mid-range jumpshot is elite. While he still displayed a strong mid-range jumper in college, he focused more on getting to the rim. I'd say the only questionable part of his game is his defense.

Check out his FIBA Highlights below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-AlECeFn_o

vs Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0SjiwmBlUE

Chinook
05-05-2019, 09:13 PM
This kid's got extensive FIBA experience playing against the best international talent; he represented the men's national team in 2018 and helped Japan, a team comprised of no-names, defeat Australia which featured a few NBA players. Anyone who's watched him play, especially his FIBA games, knows that his mid-range jumpshot is elite. While he still displayed a strong mid-range jumper in college, he focused more on getting to the rim. I'd say the only questionable part of his game is his defense.

Check out his FIBA Highlights below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-AlECeFn_o

vs Australia

That particular exchange was about Rui's teammate, Brandon Clarke.

Boomersgold
05-05-2019, 09:23 PM
That particular exchange was about Rui's teammate, Brandon Clarke.

Ahh, not sure how I misread that. I'd be happy if the Spurs took either Clarke or Hachimura from Gonzaga. Hachimura's the better player but Clarke's a better system player, if that makes any sense, and might better compliment a system that already has LMA and Derozan. He doesn't demand the ball and can still be very effective on both ends of the floor

Kobe'sAchilles
05-05-2019, 09:30 PM
No, he will not turn into Kawhi / Giannis. These comparisons are laughable. He looks like his ceiling is a garbage mans version of Melo. He has nowhere near the look of a Kawhi, Giannis caliber player. I think people watch a few highlight dunks of his and assume thats something he will become. P.S Kawhi did showcase more offensive skills / instincts than Rui has. People like to make the narrative that the Spurs created Kawhi from a blank canvas. Thats not true. They just helped polished his existing skills.

Like his dribbling skills? Or that amazing Jordanesque fade away jumper he already had in college. I also forgot he was an above average 3 point shooter in college with a NBA ready shot. Man Spurs were lucky they didn't need to teach him anything. Only polish what was already there :rolleyes

25apr
05-05-2019, 10:05 PM
language barrier prevented him from leaning the college ball first two years on Zags.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25288415/the-education-gonzaga-rui-hachimura

I know, as a japanese, most japanese people cannot speak in english.
basketball needs verbal communication more than baseball.
so i hope his ceiling, especially his defense, is higher than his age gives.

SpurSpike
05-05-2019, 11:01 PM
I would like the spurs to trade up for this guy if available. Spurs pick late 1st rounders all the time and this is a golden opportunity to grab a quality player in the low/mid teens. Plus one more roster spot you can use to bring in someone with experience who can better contribute rather than a late round draft prospect who will need development.

Also, I feel when you get a best ever prospect from a country they seem to have a little more loyalty and fire in their hearts since they represent something greater than themselves.

Kurgan
05-06-2019, 12:02 AM

Hachimura's not anywhere near the rebounder or defender Kawhi was in college. Better scorer but that's about it.

RC_Drunkford
05-06-2019, 03:42 AM
Hachimura's not anywhere near the rebounder or defender Kawhi was in college. Better scorer but that's about it.

And Kawhi wasn't nearly the offensive player that Hachimura is in college. It's a comparison, that doesn't mean he'll be the same exact player in every aspect. I don't know why even have to explain that. He has the physical tools to be a good defender though

RC_Drunkford
05-06-2019, 03:46 AM

You should delete your account for posting something as dumb as this. Kawhi still wouldn't be able to make a jump shot if it wasn't for Chip

JeffDuncan
05-06-2019, 05:20 AM
Guys, please keep the Kawhi crap in the Kawhi thread, ok?

TrainOfThought5
05-06-2019, 05:24 AM

terrible Take on kawhis development

Dejounte
05-06-2019, 05:47 AM
Like his dribbling skills? Or that amazing Jordanesque fade away jumper he already had in college. I also forgot he was an above average 3 point shooter in college with a NBA ready shot. Man Spurs were lucky they didn't need to teach him anything. Only polish what was already there :rolleyes

Freaking yes! He had moves like those but they were rough. Watch his freaking college tape for Gods sake, instead of being a smartass.

Dejounte
05-06-2019, 05:52 AM
You should delete your account for posting something as dumb as this. Kawhi still wouldn't be able to make a jump shot if it wasn't for Chip

Never did i say Kawhi exhibited great shooting skills in college. But his instincts were there and he attempted them. That is what im saying. Kawhi had the look of Kawhi before he became Kawhi. Just watch his college tapes. He didnt just become the monster he is now, there was a shadow of it that was shown in college and the Spurs just helped built it. Rui doesnt have that shadow, he has a much different path with his set of offensive skills. Watch his tape. Hes on his way to be a poor mans Melo.

Kobe'sAchilles
05-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Freaking yes! He had moves like those but they were rough. Watch his freaking college tape for Gods sake, instead of being a smartass.

He could dribble? And he had a 3??? Dude shot like 20% from 3 in college. I dont need to watch shit. And he didnt have that fade away in college either. And the spurs didnt rework his shot?? Polishing a shot is just getting reps and learning how to shoot a bit quicker since the gaps close in faster on defense. It doesnt mean to have someone fix your shot.

Dejounte
05-06-2019, 05:25 PM
He could dribble? And he had a 3??? Dude shot like 20% from 3 in college. I dont need to watch shit. And he didnt have that fade away in college either. And the spurs didnt rework his shot?? Polishing a shot is just getting reps and learning how to shoot a bit quicker since the gaps close in faster on defense. It doesnt mean to have someone fix your shot.

If you dont feel the need to watch the tape, whats the point of this conversation? I didnt say he was good at 3 point shooting. You ask all these questions but you dont even try, man.

look_at_g_shred
05-07-2019, 01:51 AM
Would love for the spurs to trade up and get him. He has the tools to be a great defender and can develop into a good shooter not a scorer but a reliable threat to hit shots. He’s not going to be kawhi/giannis so let’s stop with that. A better comparison would be Tobias Harris with defense. Ceiling: 3rd best player on a championship team.

ZeusWillJudge
05-07-2019, 01:14 PM
The one thing I noticed that needs to be corrected -- he has a hitch at the top of his release point which caused a couple of his late game shots get blocked.

That's a good pickup. I didn't notice any hitch, but I have commented on him bringing the ball down low before he shoots. He's going to get lit up by NBA defenders until he learns not to do that. I also watched him take passes on fast breaks a lot where he put the ball on the floor before going up when he didn't have to, and it gave defenders a chance to close and challenge a shot that should have been uncontested. That's just part of the learning process that lots of young players have to go through. Whatever the hitch you see, I don't think he needs any major re-work of his shooting stroke.

He's not a natural passer, and that's going to cause him some grief at the next level too - just because if they know you're not going to pass they can sell out on the drive. I watched Harden last night hold the ball for entire shot clocks, possession after possession. Even he has a hard time penetrating when the defenders know he's not looking to set someone else up. To me, that's his single biggest need for improvement.

I still think he's one of the most mature players in this draft, and I don't see how he can possibly slide to 19. But we can dream.

BackHome
05-07-2019, 01:21 PM
People are crazy we getting the 19th pick not the first or second or third. If he falls you take him at his age
and tools the worse is a solid bench player the best is you got a starting level player out of a mid late first
round.

ace3g
05-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Gonzaga’s Rui Hachimura has opted to skip the NBA draft combine next week

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/gonzaga/gonzagas-rui-hachimura-will-not-attend-nba-draft-combine/293-131a00bb-32bf-447d-b695-7987f3f374c6

ZeusWillJudge
05-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Gonzaga’s Rui Hachimura has opted to skip the NBA draft combine next week

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/gonzaga/gonzagas-rui-hachimura-will-not-attend-nba-draft-combine/293-131a00bb-32bf-447d-b695-7987f3f374c6

Someone already promised to take him. No need to take any chances if you've already got a deal you like locked up.

BackHome
05-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Probably in the range of 12 to 15 promises.

ZeusWillJudge
05-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Probably in the range of 12 to 15 promises.

The Spurs traded up to 15 to get Kawhi. Detroit picks at 15, and they need a PG in the worst way.

Dex
05-09-2019, 02:41 PM
The Spurs traded up to 15 to get Kawhi. Detroit picks at 15, and they need a PG in the worst way.

Spurs aren't moving Murray or White, and Detroit doesn't want Mills.

Chinook
05-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Forbes is from Michigan

lmbebo
05-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Forbes is from Michigan

Doesn't mean Detroit wants him.

Forbes is a SG in a point guard's body. I don't think he gets you up to 15.

Not sure what Boston would want for one of there picks. From what I understand they aren't looking for additional players this year. Guess it depends on Anthony Davis scenario.

Dex
05-09-2019, 03:51 PM
Forbes is from Michigan

I guess I still don't view Forbes really as a "point guard", despite him filling the role admirably this year. More of a small shooting guard.

If we could move Bryn to move up in the draft, though...I'd be all for it. Just not sure if teams are really going to bite on that.

ZeusWillJudge
05-09-2019, 03:54 PM

Mostly just stirring shit on a slow news day. But you have to admit, people would have said there was no way Pop would move George Hill. I don't think Hachimura is another Kawhi, but if PATFO got a read one a player they really loved, I don't doubt for a minute that they would deal one of those guys.

ZeusWillJudge
05-09-2019, 03:56 PM
Doesn't mean Detroit wants him.

Forbes is a SG in a point guard's body. I don't think he gets you up to 15.

LOL. Chinook is yanking your chain.

JeffDuncan
05-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Mostly just stirring shit on a slow news day. But you have to admit, people would have said there was no way Pop would move George Hill. I don't think Hachimura is another Kawhi, but if PATFO got a read one a player they really loved, I don't doubt for a minute that they would deal one of those guys.

The question being, tho, who would want one of our young guards? And at what price?

Murray can't be traded now. The reason is simple. It is not yet a proven fact that he'll ever play again. I take it for granted that he will. I suppose we all take that for granted. But there's no proof yet. You couldn't get a bag of popcorn for him, from another team, until he shows he can still play. That won't be shown until the preseason.

White isn't tradeable yet, not as a player in his own right. At least, he isn't tradeable for anything significant. We know how valuable White was to the Spurs this season, but that doesn't mean any other team will see value in him for them. White needs a full season of consistent, or pretty consistent, performance, to become a serious part of any trade discussion.

At the time Indiana agreed to accept George Hill, he had two full seasons of good performance behind him. He had become a known quantity. It was also a time when Hill's price was about to go up substantially. His 2nd year with Indiana, they paid him $8M.

I suspect what persuaded Pop to let Hill go was not only Leonard, but also the prospect of losing Hill to free agency soon, when the Spurs couldn't pay 7 or 8 million, or maybe even more, to keep a backup pg.

The Spurs signed Cory Joseph for just over 1 million.

Mills won't be traded. The San Antonio wombat is a protected species.

Forbes can't be traded for more than he's worth to the Spurs. You won't get a 3pt gunner any cheaper, except for the rawest of rookies.

Walker should not be traded, at least until we know much more about what he can do, or not do, for the Spurs.

Beli is the known quantity, on a 6mil contract, who might be traded.

But why worry about moving up, in this particular draft? There's no consensus about any of the possibilities being a sure hit in the NBA. Even Zion has his doubters.

RC_Drunkford
05-09-2019, 05:13 PM
you don't trade Murray, White or Walker for another rookie. They should look at Mills, Bertans, Forbes, Belinelli. Move one or two of those guys to move up. Packaging both picks with a rotation player would definitely be intriguing for some teams

look_at_g_shred
05-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Some combo of mills/Beli 19th or Beli/Bertans/19th for the 14th or 15th pick.

R. DeMurre
05-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Murray can't be traded now. The reason is simple. It is not yet a proven fact that he'll ever play again. I take it for granted that he will. I suppose we all take that for granted. But there's no proof yet. You couldn't get a bag of popcorn for him, from another team, until he shows he can still play. That won't be shown until the preseason.

White isn't tradeable yet, not as a player in his own right. At least, he isn't tradeable for anything significant. We know how valuable White was to the Spurs this season, but that doesn't mean any other team will see value in him for them.

What do you mean by this? He tore an ACL, he didn't have a leg amputated. Pretty common injury.

I am not in favor of trading either guy, but I'm sure there would be teams willing to take a chance on both based on the flashes of potential both have shown.

I don't get why people are talking about trading young guys. It's obviously the highest paid guy with the extremely mediocre advanced stats that should go.

JeffDuncan
05-09-2019, 05:49 PM
What do you mean by this? ...

Only exactly what it says. There is no hidden meaning.

ZeusWillJudge
05-09-2019, 06:19 PM

You obviously don't have an Instagram account.

Dejounte
05-09-2019, 07:11 PM
The question being, tho, who would want one of our young guards? And at what price?

White isn't tradeable yet, not as a player in his own right. At least, he isn't tradeable for anything significant. We know how valuable White was to the Spurs this season, but that doesn't mean any other team will see value in him for them. White needs a full season of consistent, or pretty consistent, performance, to become a serious part of any trade discussion.

At the time Indiana agreed to accept George Hill, he had two full seasons of good performance behind him. He had become a known quantity. It was also a time when Hill's price was about to go up substantially. His 2nd year with Indiana, they paid him $8M.

I suspect what persuaded Pop to let Hill go was not only Leonard, but also the prospect of losing Hill to free agency soon, when the Spurs couldn't pay 7 or 8 million, or maybe even more, to keep a backup pg.

The Spurs signed Cory Joseph for just over 1 million.

Mills won't be traded. The San Antonio wombat is a protected species.

Forbes can't be traded for more than he's worth to the Spurs. You won't get a 3pt gunner any cheaper, except for the rawest of rookies.

Walker should not be traded, at least until we know much more about what he can do, or not do, for the Spurs.

Beli is the known quantity, on a 6mil contract, who might be traded.

But why worry about moving up, in this particular draft? There's no consensus about any of the possibilities being a sure hit in the NBA. Even Zion has his doubters.

Kawhi was not a sure hit in the NBA. Thats not how drafts work. No one knows (unless youre damn good like the Spurs) who will be good. Theres no consensus for that sort of thing. Players bust. Players surprise.

objective
05-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Plenty of posters here anticipated a Hill trade because the Jefferson contract made it very hard to pay both Parker and Hill so one of them probably had to go

R. DeMurre
05-10-2019, 12:38 AM

He tore his ACL, got surgery, and is now back working out, playing, and dunking. What would possibly lead you to believe that he would never play again?

JeffDuncan
05-10-2019, 01:11 AM
He tore his ACL, got surgery, and is now back working out, playing, and dunking. What would possibly lead you to believe that he would never play again?

What?

cd021
05-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Some combo of mills/Beli 19th or Beli/Bertans/19th for the 14th or 15th pick.
Who would we take back in that scenario from Boston and Detroit? For that reason it would be a no for me. Spurs would have to take back a bad or undesirable contract to move up five spots.

Kurgan
05-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Need to move on. Rui won't be there at 19.

timvp
05-14-2019, 10:53 PM
More and more Big Boards and mock drafts that I trust have Rui dropping into the 20s. Even to the mid-20s sometimes as of late.

IMO, unless you're convinced he can't play SF, he becomes difficult to pass up at around 15, 16. Then again, if you see him as an undersized big, he could drop to late 20s . . .

look_at_g_shred
05-14-2019, 11:08 PM
More and more Big Boards and mock drafts that I trust have Rui dropping into the 20s. Even to the mid-20s sometimes as of late.

IMO, unless you're convinced he can't play SF, he becomes difficult to pass up at around 15, 16. Then again, if you see him as an undersized big, he could drop to late 20s . . .
Do you believe he’s got a promise from a team ?

timvp
05-14-2019, 11:14 PM
Do you believe he’s got a promise from a team ?

My guess would be no. I think he'd prefer to just do one-on-one workouts. He's so raw that his handlers could be worried about him being exposed against more experienced, less hyped prospects.

picnroll
05-14-2019, 11:21 PM
BIG questions on his b-ball iq and feel for the game. Not the kind of player that often pans out particularly in a Spurs system.

DPG21920
05-14-2019, 11:34 PM
He seems to be a divisive player; maybe one of the most in this draft. People talk about him like a top 5 pick, others really scoff at him even in the lottery.

He seems great on paper for 19, but I have my doubts creeping in.

Dejounte
05-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Ive been trying to tell everyone... That this guy is terrible.

slick'81
05-15-2019, 01:11 AM
Ive been trying to tell everyone... That this guy is terrible.

how so

azarel
05-15-2019, 02:38 AM
is he that terrible? looks good enough to take a chance at #19...

playblair
05-15-2019, 03:06 AM
is he that terrible? looks good enough to take a chance at #19...

he is a kawhi level player............he single handedly beat duke which is going to have 3 of the first top5 draft picks........... he dominated zion

Dejounte
05-15-2019, 05:44 AM
Kawhi level player lmao. You are in for a rude awakening.

RC_Drunkford
05-15-2019, 07:57 AM
I hope he falls to us

BD24
05-15-2019, 08:12 AM
If he falls to 19 he is a no brainer. With that said I think someone in the late lottery takes a flier on him

r0drig0lac
05-15-2019, 08:34 AM
after Zion, there is a great possibility of any team that does not drafted Rui, will regret it later, it's simple, still today I can not believe that 14 teams did not drafted Giannis.

playblair
05-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Kawhi level player lmao. You are in for a rude awakening.

i watched kawhi get abused by jimmer multiple times in college..........jimmer scored 40 on kawhi..............rui shut down the best prospect since lebron/ best recruiting class ever/ 3 top 5 draft picks............by himself

ZeusWillJudge
05-15-2019, 10:10 AM
i watched kawhi get abused by jimmer multiple times in college..........jimmer scored 40 on kawhi..............rui shut down the best prospect since lebron/ best recruiting class ever/ 3 top 5 draft picks............by himself

Using Jimmer Fredette may not be the best way to try and prove that college success will translate to the NBA.

And am I wrong, or did you just say that Rui Hachimura shut down three Duke players at the same time? This is one of those blue font things, right?

picnroll
05-15-2019, 10:35 AM
You obviously didn’t watch that game. Zion didn’t get shut down and the player that did the best job on him was Clarke.

exstatic
05-15-2019, 11:57 AM
:lol This board would explode if Tankathon's draft actually happened. They have us picking Bruno Fernando at #19, and Rui goes the next pick to Boston. I have to agree with timvp, though. He's WAY less valuable as a PF, and that's how Tankathon lists him. He's quite bluntly a weak rebounder, 7.7 per 36.

R. DeMurre
05-15-2019, 12:15 PM
You obviously didn’t watch that game. Zion didn’t get shut down and the player that did the best job on him was Clarke.

:tu Zion went for 22 & 10 in that game. But Brandon Clarke had 6 blocks, despite only playing 23 minutes due to foul trouble.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401096923

lmbebo
05-20-2019, 11:57 AM
11.https://cdn-s3.si.com/images/minnesota-timberwolves-logo.png TIMBERWOLVES: RUI HACHIMURA, PF, GONZAGA
Height: 6'8" | Weight: 230 | Junior
The buzz at the combine was that there is very little chance Hachimura slips out of the lottery, with Minnesota generally thought to be a soft landing spot for him. NBA teams value his alpha-dog mentality, physical tools and defensive switchability, and many are of the belief that Hachimura can still take his game to another level, particularly if his shooting improves. There’s some risk his feel doesn’t improve offensively. But those who feel comfortable projecting Hachimura as an efficient secondary scorer who rebounds and defends both forward spots can justify it here.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/20/nba-mock-draft-pelicans-grizzlies-knicks-lakers-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett-post-combine

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Heard Rui got a commitment in the lottery (Minnesota was the buzz at the Combine) (http://twitter.com/TonyCantarella1/status/1130149137171849218) — usually when you take a commitment you shut down workouts and meetings with teams.

Dejounte
05-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Good. Let him rot away in Minnesota. Hes really not worth a pick.

timvp
05-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Heard Rui got a commitment in the lottery (Minnesota was the buzz at the Combine) — usually when you take a commitment you shut down workouts and meetings with teams.

Don't buy it, tbh. Rui shut it down before lottery order was determined so it's a stretch to imagine a lottery team would send out a promise before finding out where they would draft.

And more importantly, that rumor originated from that Rocket fan who used to run H:lol:lolpsworld before it died due to never getting anything right in its history.

Man Mountain
05-20-2019, 02:13 PM
https://thestanleyhudson.home.blog/2019/05/17/why-rui-will-end-up-with-the-spurs/

WHY HACH WILL END UP ON THE SPURS ... must read article!

exstatic
05-20-2019, 02:20 PM
https://thestanleyhudson.home.blog/2019/05/17/why-rui-will-end-up-with-the-spurs/

That's actually pretty hilarious.

DPG21920
05-20-2019, 02:51 PM

Lol - I wonder how much red string he had up in the basement while writing this :lol. I would be good with it though. I don’t love anyone outside of the top 4 so he’s about as good as I could hope for.

R. DeMurre
05-20-2019, 03:20 PM
he is a kawhi level player............he single handedly beat duke which is going to have 3 of the first top5 draft picks........... he dominated zion

Hachimura had 20 points in 37 minutes, but Norvell also scored 18 pts and Brandon Clarke had 17 points and 6 blocks in only 23 minutes.
Duke made its run when Clarke was sitting with foul trouble.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401096923

slick'81
05-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Yea we arent touching this guy

EricB
05-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Keep an eye on the Spurs and him...

timvp
05-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Rui was overrated when people had him in the conversation for going in the top 5 but at 19, he'd be a difficult prospect to pass on if you're the Spurs. Perfect body for the combo forward the Spurs desperately need. Quick enough to potentially move full-time to the perimeter. Pretty damn strong in the paint (I watched Rui vs Kabengele and Rui frequently out-muscled him and Kabengele is the most musclebound player in the draft).

He's obviously raw and right now has a low defensive IQ but he has a high upside and if he pans out he fits perfectly next to White, Murray, Walker and Poeltl.

He might not be my top realistic player at 19 but he's way up there after watching more of him.

lmbebo
05-24-2019, 08:18 PM
At 19, in love with him, assuming he falls that far. Maybe can spread a mysterious lingering issue about him. Maybe he was hit in the thigh 5 years ago in some mysterious back alley game of chess while visiting china ...

Uriel
05-24-2019, 08:25 PM
Rui was overrated when people had him in the conversation for going in the top 5 but at 19, he'd be a difficult prospect to pass on if you're the Spurs. Perfect body for the combo forward the Spurs desperately need. Quick enough to potentially move full-time to the perimeter. Pretty damn strong in the paint (I watched Rui vs Kabengele and Rui frequently out-muscled him and Kabengele is the most musclebound player in the draft).

He's obviously raw and right now has a low defensive IQ but he has a high upside and if he pans out he fits perfectly next to White, Murray, Walker and Poeltl.

He might not be my top realistic player at 19 but he's way up there after watching more of him.
So who's your top?

Dejounte
05-24-2019, 08:25 PM
God no to this guy. We dont need a david west / paul millsap type player

timvp
05-24-2019, 08:44 PM
So who's your top?

Working on my Big Board :reading

baseline bum
05-24-2019, 08:48 PM
And more importantly, that rumor originated from that Rocket fan who used to run H:lol:lolpsworld before it died due to never getting anything right in its history.

Still LMAO @ Hoopsworld claiming the Spurs were announcing the signing of Warm Karl when they called a press conference for Sean Elliott's jersey retirement.

baseline bum
05-24-2019, 08:48 PM
So who's your top?

Bend over. I'll show you whose your top.

EricB
05-25-2019, 12:34 PM

A prime paul Millsap is the EXACT player you need for today’s NBA.

timvp
05-28-2019, 06:59 PM

As suspected, Rui doesn't actually have a promise.

(That HoopsWorld guy continues his streak of never being right about anything)

GAustex
05-28-2019, 07:02 PM
Bend over. I'll show you whose your top.
He set you up like a bowling pin

ZeusWillJudge
05-28-2019, 07:25 PM

It's a strange.draft. Make a list of players you'd be "okay" with at 19, and there's more than 18 of them. Somebody has to fall to the Spurs. And that doesn't even account for the possibility that PATFO will reach down to take a guy all of us have in the 20's.

SpursBills
05-28-2019, 09:13 PM
Don't get why so many people like this guy. His measurables are tantalizing but he just seems like he has no awareness. Constantly makes the wrong play, in the wrong place, very slow processing speed. That's much harder to fix than a broken shot I think.

Dejounte
05-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Don't get why so many people like this guy. His measurables are tantalizing but he just seems like he has no awareness. Constantly makes the wrong play, in the wrong place, very slow processing speed. That's much harder to fix than a broken shot I think.

Exactly. People are too in love with how he measures up. And thats about it. Dude has no feel for the game and isnt smooth at all. Theyll go mention Kawhi as a comparison but they are two completely different canvases.

MaNu4Tres
05-28-2019, 09:32 PM
One of the guys Spurs probably have their eyes on.....

DPG21920
05-28-2019, 09:52 PM

As suspected, Rui doesn't actually have a promise.

(That HoopsWorld guy continues his streak of never being right about anything)

Which technically is a streak in and of itself, no?

BackHome
05-28-2019, 09:56 PM
He is starting to fall in some mocks even past Spurs.

ZeusWillJudge
05-28-2019, 10:01 PM

Which game did you watch? I'd like to know, so I can go watch the video.

Or did you just read an article?

Degoat
05-28-2019, 10:02 PM
At first I wasn’t a fan but he’s growing on me, we would be lucky if we got him at 19

exstatic
05-28-2019, 10:17 PM

West was a two time All Star, and Milsap a four timer. If you can get that at 19, you don’t even hesitate.

FkLA
05-28-2019, 10:21 PM
West was a two time All Star, and Milsap a four timer. If you can get that at 19, you don’t even hesitate.

But I want Zion at 19 :cry

Spurtacular
05-28-2019, 10:22 PM

The Spurs need to be prepared to trade up 5-6 spots to draft Hachimura or Clarke.
Don't know if a team will want whatever we'd have to offer or if the Spurs would pull the trigger on that.

LCM
05-28-2019, 10:58 PM
Charlotte seems like the target at 12 for a trade up. They could loose both Kemba and Lamb in FA. Spurs have a bunch of guards. Who would you trade to move up? Because the Heat, Celtics, Pistons, Nets, and Pacers would all draft him. If he isn't drafted by Minnesota at 11, then I would think he's in play. The only scenario I would really worry about is Jordan wanting to draft Little and not listen to trade offers.

FkLA
05-28-2019, 11:01 PM
Charlotte seems like the target at 12 for a trade up. They could loose both Kemba and Lamb in FA. Spurs have a bunch of guards. Who would you trade to move up? Because the Heat, Celtics, Pistons, Nets, and Pacers would all draft him. If he isn't drafted by Minnesota at 11, then I would think he's in play. The only scenario I would really worry about is Jordan wanting to draft Little and not listen to trade offers.

Unless they want Wombat or Forbes then Instagram Baller can GTFO, tbh.

DPG21920
05-28-2019, 11:03 PM

If Jordan wants someone, I don’t want them.

LCM
05-28-2019, 11:03 PM
Unless they want Wombat or Forbes then Instagram Baller can GTFO, tbh.

Would you trade Lonnie?

DPG21920
05-28-2019, 11:10 PM
Would you trade Lonnie?

Hell no and neither would SA.

LCM
05-28-2019, 11:11 PM
If Jordan wants someone, I don’t want them.

Jordan picking Nasser Little coming out of UNC is like shooting fish in a barrel. For the Spurs to get Rui, I would think Charlotte, or pray he falls to Pistons because him and Blake Griffin is a bit redundant. I just don't see Miami not grabbing him or the Celtics at 14 and using him in a trade package or keeping him if they trade Jalen Brown or Jason Tatum. If the Wolves don't pick him at 11, Charlotte at 12 is where the Spurs need to trade to get Rui.

FkLA
05-28-2019, 11:12 PM
Would you trade Lonnie?

I don't think it would be necessary. Instagram Baller is pretty highly thought of around the league even though he's kind of a fraud. There's not a deal that would work with Lonnie that wouldn't also work with IB.

LCM
05-28-2019, 11:14 PM
Hell no and neither would SA.

I agree with you, I wouldn't trade him either. But they will have to give something to someone to move up if that is the plan.

DPG21920
05-28-2019, 11:16 PM
Spurs aren’t trading Murray/Lonnie/White unless it’s for a star. If it were a top 4 or 5 pick, maybe. But not for anything late-ish lottery.

DPG21920
05-28-2019, 11:17 PM
I agree with you, I wouldn't trade him either. But they will have to give something to someone to move up if that is the plan.

They have 2 first rounders, Beli/forbes/Bertans and future firsts/seconds. If that is not enough, then they won’t move up IMO (unless something unexpected happens with trading DeRozan/LMA)

LCM
05-28-2019, 11:19 PM
I don't think it would be necessary. Instagram Baller is pretty highly thought of around the league even though he's kind of a fraud. There's not a deal that would work with Lonnie that wouldn't also work with IB.

The only reason I think DJ is safe is supposedly he has been in the coaches meetings all year. He's been tutored this whole year as to what the coaches are thinking, how they adjusted because of injury and personnel this year, and what Pop is going to want to do differently next year with everyone healthy. Pop isn't going to spend that time with him and then deal him.

FkLA
05-28-2019, 11:22 PM
Spurs aren’t trading Murray/Lonnie/White unless it’s for a star. If it were a top 4 or 5 pick, maybe. But not for anything late-ish lottery.

I think they would if they're as high on Rui as some of us are. They had no problem trading Georgie, tbh.

timvp
05-28-2019, 11:22 PM
The Spurs need to be prepared to trade up 5-6 spots to draft Hachimura or Clarke.
Don't know if a team will want whatever we'd have to offer or if the Spurs would pull the trigger on that.

Wouldn't trade up for Clarke. He can only fit in certain lineups and is just an iffy fit with the core overall.

I'm not sure I'd trade up for Rui either. I like him at 19 but he had legit flaws that would scare me from using too many assets on him. I mean, his basketball IQ is legitimately suspect. I'm not convinced he has the IQ to survive defensively in San Antonio's system.

FkLA
05-28-2019, 11:26 PM
The only reason I think DJ is safe is supposedly he has been in the coaches meetings all year. He's been tutored this whole year as to what the coaches are thinking, how they adjusted because of injury and personnel this year, and what Pop is going to want to do differently next year with everyone healthy. Pop isn't going to spend that time with him and then deal him.

He probably is. Everyone's enamored with him, while the humble, superior PG gets treated like a redheaded stepchild. Wouldn't shock me if they dangle White before they dangle IB smh.

DPG21920
05-28-2019, 11:33 PM
I think they would if they're as high on Rui as some of us are. They had no problem trading Georgie, tbh.

Even coming out of college, Kawhi’s defense and rebounding and bball IQ was considered elite. If they really felt they could get someone with Kawhi upside? Sure. But it seems so unlikely that anyone after pick 4 has that type of talent.

Odds of getting an all nba defensive player (Murray) with pick 10-19 are slim, so why trade Murray? Getting a guard as polished as White with legit 2-way chops? Low. Lonnie would be a top 14 pick IMO this year with another year of playing showing well.

I just don’t see trading one of those guys for a question mark player when 2 of the 3 already showed legit nba skills and Lonnie is close to being a higher ceiling than both of them.

But sure, if they think they have a future MVP/DPOY player they would put one of them on the table.

DPG21920
05-28-2019, 11:36 PM
Wouldn't trade up for Clarke. He can only fit in certain lineups and is just an iffy fit with the core overall.

I'm not sure I'd trade up for Rui either. I like him at 19 but he had legit flaws that would scare me from using too many assets on him. I mean, his basketball IQ is legitimately suspect. I'm not convinced he has the IQ to survive defensively in San Antonio's system.

I mean, I don’t disagree, but with the assets SA has to trade, I wouldn’t mind trading up for Rui. If trading up means 19+29 to get 15? I don’t view that as a big deal. If Rui is who they love, I don’t mind losing 29 for him (even though not ideal).

Or even if it costs 19 + Beli or something like that? Meh.

Edit: Now, if moving up really does mean having to part ways with Murray or Lonnie or White? Then absolutely hell no. I agree with Chinook though - Poeltl could be an attractive piece and SA has already a reasonable path to replacing him. So if it’s 19 + Poeltl? I don’t view that as anything to sweat over really.

But I would rather have Little than Rui.

DPG21920
05-28-2019, 11:40 PM
He probably is. Everyone's enamored with him, while the humble, superior PG gets treated like a redheaded stepchild. Wouldn't shock me if they dangle White before they dangle IB smh.

My friend, I am telling you SA isn’t dangling any of their young guys unless it’s for a package that is way different then moving up from 19 to 10-15.

RC_Drunkford
05-29-2019, 05:30 AM
Spurs shouldn't trade any of Murray/White/Walker/Poeltl and hopefully pick up 2 more rookies for the forward spots. That would give them a complete core of young guys for the future. To move up I think 19 + Bertans is an offer other teams would be interested in, although moving one of the guards would make more sense (Forbes/Belinelli). If I'm not mistaken, moving Bertans 7 million would give us about 19 million in cap space, if we include Rudy's cap hold it's something like 6 million. Seems like a move that makes a lot of sense. I for one like Hachimura and I think Cam Johnson at 29 might be a save pick, cause he's the best shooter coming out of college and ready to play.

Dejounte
05-29-2019, 06:34 AM
https://fansided.com/2019/05/24/rui-hachimura-defense-problems/

Spurs aren't drafting this kid.

kobyz
05-29-2019, 08:19 AM

Very Harden esque on defense, but his offense is prolific, he'll go lottery because of it, I compare him as a player to Carmelo Anthony/Glen Robinson...

jjktkk
05-29-2019, 09:03 AM
I mean, I don’t disagree, but with the assets SA has to trade, I wouldn’t mind trading up for Rui. If trading up means 19+29 to get 15? I don’t view that as a big deal. If Rui is who they love, I don’t mind losing 29 for him (even though not ideal).

Or even if it costs 19 + Beli or something like that? Meh.

Edit: Now, if moving up really does mean having to part ways with Murray or Lonnie or White? Then absolutely hell no. I agree with Chinook though - Poeltl could be an attractive piece and SA has already a reasonable path to replacing him. So if it’s 19 + Poeltl? I don’t view that as anything to sweat over really.

But I would rather have Little than Rui.And what is that?

Chinook
05-29-2019, 09:19 AM
And what is that?

They can draft his replacement at 29 (the crop of bigs thought to be available there is actually rather shocking) and sign Milutinov/one of the several vet centers who are available every year nowadays to hold down the fort until that guy develops.

Chinook
05-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Spurs shouldn't trade any of Murray/White/Walker/Poeltl and hopefully pick up 2 more rookies for the forward spots. That would give them a complete core of young guys for the future. To move up I think 19 + Bertans is an offer other teams would be interested in, although moving one of the guards would make more sense (Forbes/Belinelli). If I'm not mistaken, moving Bertans 7 million would give us about 19 million in cap space, if we include Rudy's cap hold it's something like 6 million. Seems like a move that makes a lot of sense. I for one like Hachimura and I think Cam Johnson at 29 might be a save pick, cause he's the best shooter coming out of college and ready to play.

You don't need a "core of young guys"; you need about two really good ones. By that I mean near and future All-NBA types. Are any or all of those guys on track to be in that category? Maybe. I personally think Lonnie's career can follow a Oladipo-like trajectory. That would put him at the top end of the "second option" tier. Some folks have Murray as an elite defense/impact guy like Draymond. Okay. So maybe those are both keepers. What about White and Poeltl? White might be that solid starter/"fourth option" type that a lot of championship teams need. Poeltl might be a Splitter who stays healthy enough to reach his potential. Both of those things are valuable, but only to a point. If you can move one or both of those guys to get someone you think can jump ahead of Walker to get into that "first option" tier, why would you let those guys stop you?

And of course, you might go, "Well if it really comes down to that, I'd rather trade DeRozan or Aldridge", but what kind of sense does that make really? Impact stats have created a false sense of equivalency between stars and role-players. The truth is that DeRozan and Aldridge are way better than any of the Spurs' prospects can reasonably be projected to become. Yes, they have their problems, but so will most players who develop. You don't trade your stars to hold onto solid role-players. You let your future stars come up as role-players before handing them the reigns. That's how you maintain greatness, not by trying to get a whole bunch of guys the same age and either watch most of them walk or sign all of them and be in the tax while having no path to majorly improve.

RC_Drunkford
05-29-2019, 04:44 PM
You don't need a "core of young guys"; you need about two really good ones. By that I mean near and future All-NBA types. Are any or all of those guys on track to be in that category? Maybe. I personally think Lonnie's career can follow a Oladipo-like trajectory. That would put him at the top end of the "second option" tier. Some folks have Murray as an elite defense/impact guy like Draymond. Okay. So maybe those are both keepers. What about White and Poeltl? White might be that solid starter/"fourth option" type that a lot of championship teams need. Poeltl might be a Splitter who stays healthy enough to reach his potential. Both of those things are valuable, but only to a point. If you can move one or both of those guys to get someone you think can jump ahead of Walker to get into that "first option" tier, why would you let those guys stop you?

And of course, you might go, "Well if it really comes down to that, I'd rather trade DeRozan or Aldridge", but what kind of sense does that make really? Impact stats have created a false sense of equivalency between stars and role-players. The truth is that DeRozan and Aldridge are way better than any of the Spurs' prospects can reasonably be projected to become. Yes, they have their problems, but so will most players who develop. You don't trade your stars to hold onto solid role-players. You let your future stars come up as role-players before handing them the reigns. That's how you maintain greatness, not by trying to get a whole bunch of guys the same age and either watch most of them walk or sign all of them and be in the tax while having no path to majorly improve.

where did I say I disagree with you? :lol You don't have to be so defensive Chinook, I agree with your points. The only reason I say they should hold on to all of the young guys is because I don't really see a potential franchise player in this draft that the Spurs could trade up for. Maybe next year, but that'll be a whole different scenario

timvp
05-29-2019, 05:15 PM

Rui doesn't have good defensive IQ but that was a terrible article, tbh. Their main example is ridiculous.

There’s one play in particular that stands out as the primary example of Hachimura’s lack of awareness and processing ability. It’s the following clip from Gonzaga’s matchup at Portland on Jan. 19.

m03aa/ypaemn

That was actually pretty damn good defense by Rui, tbh. Clarke was fronting the post (he's so small that he's extra vulnerable to the pass over the top in that situation), so Rui recognized it and helped from the other side of the court. He anticipated the pass to his man, ran him off the three-point line without leaving his feet and was able to stay with him. The Gonzaga guard on the top of the key opted to let their center shoot a three rather than rotate over (looking it up, that center on Pacific isn't a three-point threat). Textbook defense and actually one of the better reads Rui made on defense, ironically, tbh :lol

ZeusWillJudge
05-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Poeltl sets good picks. It's an under-appreciated art, and he's the best the Spurs have had in that department since Splitter, and this was his first year with these players. He's also shown that he can be a very productive roll man. That's also an under-appreciated art. And it's becoming more important than ever in today's game. The Spurs can easily get another player with his height, and who doesn't shoot 3's. But if it was easy to find guys who have a feel for the PnR, everybody would have one. The Spurs aren't going to get rid of Poeltl unless they have a very specific player in mind, who will be a big difference maker, and who they can't get without using him to move up.

FkLA
05-29-2019, 06:30 PM
:lol at ranking him the 41st best player because of "feel"

Fucking tryhards, tbh.

FkLA
05-29-2019, 07:38 PM
This guy is still the one. I rewatched a couple of YT vids of this dude to make sure I didn't overrate him the the first time around and I'm kind of perplexed at how some people don't see it with him. Offensively, he looks like a mix of Nephew and Gay. :wow

Our Spurs will be back if we draft this kid, tbh.

timvp
05-29-2019, 07:56 PM
I'm kind of perplexed at how some people don't see it with him.

The hipster thing to do for draft experts right now is to pretend Rui belongs in the 40s on the Big Boards. There's just no way, IMO. His almost perfect modern day NBA frame and real life production at Gonzaga is enough to make him at the very least top 30.

He was overrated when earlier this year there was talk about him going in the top five but now the pendulum swung too far the other way.

RiverCity
05-29-2019, 08:00 PM
Rui is the Spurs target.

If they can obtain him, they will.

They have scouted him extensively and gone beyond that.

FkLA
05-29-2019, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6JnJHyp3yE

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://i.imgur.com/eNtlu1r.jpg&key=7a84a50a39bceecf20de5526dfd6d724912a0a2dd8d697 d5daa77df38330c5bc

Dejounte
05-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Im gonna laugh so hard when we dont draft this guy and hes there for the taking.

FkLA
05-29-2019, 08:05 PM
The hipster thing to do for draft experts right now is to pretend Rui belongs in the 40s on the Big Boards. There's just no way, IMO. His almost perfect modern day NBA frame and real life production at Gonzaga is enough to make him at the very least top 30.

He was overrated when earlier this year there was talk about him going in the top five but now the pendulum swung too far the other way.

Idk bruh, admittedly I haven't watched much of the consensus Top 5/Top 10 guys but I find it really hard to believe that there are 10 better prospects than him. He just looks so damn impressive to me.

Rui is the Spurs target.

Whatever it takes, imo.

RC_Drunkford
05-29-2019, 08:40 PM
This guy is still the one. I rewatched a couple of YT vids of this dude to make sure I didn't overrate him the the first time around and I'm kind of perplexed at how some people don't see it with him. Offensively, he looks like a mix of Nephew and Gay. :wow

Our Spurs will be back if we draft this kid, tbh.

I'm with you on that. Still think he got star potential and physically he has all the tools. There's no coach better than Pop who could improve his awareness and positioning on defense and there's no better shooting coach who could help him up his 3-point percentage than Chip. Those are his 2 main weaknesses

r0drig0lac
05-29-2019, 09:40 PM
Rui is the Spurs target.

good

Spurtacular
05-29-2019, 10:08 PM
Rui is the Spurs target.

One-post guy has to know.

Dennis the Menace
05-29-2019, 10:14 PM
Trade up to get him.

Murray, White, Walker, Rui, Poetl is a helluva future

look_at_g_shred
05-29-2019, 10:25 PM
He has incredible size. Looks so fluid offensively, and defensively can work himself to be a nightmare on that end. I hope we get him.

look_at_g_shred
05-29-2019, 10:27 PM
I’d order a jersey the minute we draft him

ChumpHumper
05-29-2019, 10:28 PM
I’d order a jersey the minute we draft him

keithington1
05-29-2019, 11:13 PM
He is the only player Spurs should trade 19 and 29 for

Cardinal
05-29-2019, 11:20 PM
Rui is the Spurs target.

Do you claim to have inside information or is this just speculation based on media reports?

TimmyBuckets
05-29-2019, 11:45 PM
Trade up to get him.

Murray, White, Walker, Rui, Poetl is a helluva future

When you list them, it looks like a buncha nobodies tbh

Dennis the Menace
05-30-2019, 12:02 AM
When you list them, it looks like a buncha nobodies tbh

When you think of their raw tools, high ceilings, desire to be great, and the developmental program (chip). Makes you feel good about the future

EricB
05-30-2019, 04:02 AM
Rui is the Spurs target.

Ding ding ding

Dejounte
05-30-2019, 05:40 AM
Fluid offensively? Lmao! Its clear people who support Rui watch 1 video and base it all on that.

BackHome
05-30-2019, 02:34 PM
Doesn’t matter what we want still has to fall to us I would be Ok with trading 19 and 29 and would look at packaging Belli/Bertans/Forbes and second round pick to get move back into first round I am thinking 20 to 24 pick?

But I am still cool with staying at 19 and 29 I think if things fall right we can get two guys who could help the team in the future. It’s a weird draft lots of movement but I do trust Pop and RC when it comes to drafting players.

exstatic
05-30-2019, 02:43 PM
Doesn’t matter what we want still has to fall to us I would be Ok with trading 19 and 29 and would look at packaging Belli/Bertans/Forbes and second round pick to get move back into first round I am thinking 20 to 24 pick?

But I am still cool with staying at 19 and 29 I think if things fall right we can get two guys who could help the team in the future. It’s a weird draft lots of movement but I do trust Pop and RC when it comes to drafting players.

A number of us follow the various draft sites, which disagree with each other on many things. One thing they do agree on is that the draft flattens out after about pick 10. There's no point in trading two picks in that range for one pick in that range. You're just trading two post 10 propects for one post 10 prospect, reducing the chances of having at least one out of two pan out.

DPG21920
05-30-2019, 03:23 PM
A number of us follow the various draft sites, which disagree with each other on many things. One thing they do agree on is that the draft flattens out after about pick 10. There's no point in trading two picks in that range for one pick in that range. You're just trading two post 10 propects for one post 10 prospect, reducing the chances of having at least one out of two pan out.

This is true....on paper. But if SA values someone way more than who is left, it’s ok to move up if that is the case. Might not be, but I trust SA if they do that.

duncan2150
05-30-2019, 03:41 PM

that’s Why I don’t want to move up for a 12-13 pick for example. One exception would be a player San Antonio really like DPG said.

but even with that I think it’s better to keep 19 and 29, the only thing will do is trading a pick with a player to move up but not both picks.

Big Empty
05-30-2019, 03:47 PM
Huchimama gone be gone by 19

Seventyniner
05-30-2019, 04:49 PM
If the Spurs really liked Rui that much I don't think we'd know about it. I'm not calling the information outright false, but I am somewhat skeptical.

kobyz
05-30-2019, 05:39 PM
i''m willing to give lonnie and #19 in order to move up and get this guy...

Leetonidas
05-30-2019, 05:42 PM

Good thing you're not the GM

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Amen!

Stump
05-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Lonnie is a better prospect than most of our realistic targets for the 2019 draft. Giving up him + #19 is dumb.

duncan2150
05-30-2019, 05:49 PM

+1

picnroll
05-30-2019, 05:53 PM

Who passed out the stupid pills?

DJR210
05-30-2019, 05:56 PM

:tu

BackHome
05-30-2019, 07:12 PM
He running the Flakers.

kobyz
05-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Lonnie is a better prospect than most of our realistic targets for the 2019 draft. Giving up him + #19 is dumb.

whats up with lonnie's knees, are they holding on? anyway loonie is raw as they come and too style over substance, you have too much belief in him...

RC_Drunkford
05-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Don't trade none of the young guys. Add on to them

CGD
05-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Don't trade none of the young guys. Add on to them

Agreed. Put it this way, if Lonnie was in this class he’d likely be a top 10 pick.

BackHome
05-30-2019, 11:43 PM
True Dat :flag:

Spurtacular
05-31-2019, 02:51 AM

exstatic
05-31-2019, 08:52 AM

Rob Pelinka on line 2 with a hiring offer. :lol

buujness
05-31-2019, 12:11 PM
whats up with lonnie's knees, are they holding on? anyway loonie is raw as they come and too style over substance, you have too much belief in him...
So is Hachimura.

I'm 100% on board for drafting him if he falls to 19, but I don't see the need to trade up for him if you have to use a big prospect or your other 1st rounder. Would rather just take whoever falls.

kobyz
05-31-2019, 02:34 PM
So is Hachimura.

I'm 100% on board for drafting him if he falls to 19, but I don't see the need to trade up for him if you have to use a big prospect or your other 1st rounder. Would rather just take whoever falls.

Hachimura has more polish offensive game, prototype physical profile, he's humble, coachable kid, he has good chance with spurs develop system to become corner stone player...

Light
05-31-2019, 02:57 PM
Hachimura has more polish offensive game, prototype physical profile, he's humble, coachable kid, he has good chance with spurs develop system to become corner stone player...

The same can be said about Lonnie, tbh

ceperez
05-31-2019, 03:24 PM
2 out of 7 mock draft shows Rui in 18th pick. Spurs could luck out!

https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/15/2019-nba-mock-draft-zion-williamson-lottery-results/

kobyz
05-31-2019, 03:39 PM

i don't think so, lonnie has questionable heart, more into instagram, hairstyle, his game also much more imature at this point, much more of a project overall...

kobyz
05-31-2019, 03:42 PM
2 out of 7 mock draft shows Rui in 18th pick. Spurs could luck out!

https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/15/2019-nba-mock-draft-zion-williamson-lottery-results/

he doesn't fall past minnesota at #11, and most probably a top 10 pick...

timvp
05-31-2019, 03:48 PM
One thing that could ultimately really help Rui's stock is his Japan roots. In baseball, some owners don't even count the money that they pay Japanese players because they'll make it all back in added ad revenue from Japan. In Rui's case, an owner could demand that he be drafted because the owner would profit off of the rookie deal.

That said, Japan isn't exactly known for the willingness to embrace biracial athletes so maybe not. Difficult to say for sure but that could tip the scale for a few teams ahead of the Spurs who may not otherwise have him atop their draft board.

Light
05-31-2019, 04:45 PM
i don't think so, lonnie has questionable heart, more into instagram, hairstyle, his game also much more imature at this point, much more of a project overall...

Oh ok, so you dislike Lonnie for non-basketball reasons.

kobyz
05-31-2019, 04:49 PM
Oh ok, so you dislike Lonnie for non-basketball reasons.

i don't think he's a true professional...

exstatic
05-31-2019, 04:53 PM

He's 20 fucking years old. I'm sure you were the very model of maturity and decorum at 20.

Spurtacular
05-31-2019, 04:59 PM

Very low chance of Lonnie being a cornerstone player, imo. Outside shot at him being a consistent starter for a season or two, maybe.

r0drig0lac
05-31-2019, 05:02 PM

why?

kobyz
05-31-2019, 05:03 PM
He's 20 fucking years old. I'm sure you were the very model of maturity and decorum at 20.

as an nba player there is no time to fuck around if you want to be great...

Light
05-31-2019, 05:06 PM

that's fair. we all have our opinion on what a "true professional" is, so i can't say you're wrong. from what i've seen and heard about him, i never got the impression that he wasn't a professional or incapable of developing into the player some feel he can become.

Light
05-31-2019, 05:38 PM
Very low chance of Lonnie being a cornerstone player, imo. Outside shot at him being a consistent starter for a season or two, maybe. If that's the case, I think it'll have more to with dejounte's and white's development more than anything. That's a good problem to have, imo. Outside of those two, I think lonnie has a better shot than forbes, mills, and belli of being a starter going into the 20-21 season. I was more focused on the "being coachable, having an nba body, and humble" portion of the quote. I admittedly don't know much about Rui, but I don't think anyone we draft is going to be a plug-n-play starter on day one. Therefore, if you able to project him has a cornerstone player, I feel you can say the same about Lonnie.

Spurtacular
05-31-2019, 06:17 PM
If that's the case, I think it'll have more to with dejounte's and white's development more than anything.

It'll have absolutely nothing to do with that. They're not even the same positions.

As it stands, you're overly optimistic in an unpractical way.

Lonnie has yet to show anything outside of athleticism that he'll be that player. We can hope. I'll admit it's still early in the process.

Spurtacular
05-31-2019, 06:19 PM
I admittedly don't know much about Rui, but I don't think anyone we draft is going to be a plug-n-play starter on day one. Therefore, if you able to project him has a cornerstone player, I feel you can say the same about Lonnie.

:lol That logic.
:lol 'I don't know about the dude, but if you say he's a cornerstone, the Lonnie has to be too.'
:lol Fanboy crush apparently.

Spurtacular
05-31-2019, 06:20 PM
I admittedly don't know much about Rui

Let me fill you in. He's a bonafide NBA player at this point; whereas, L. Walker isn't.

RC_Drunkford
05-31-2019, 06:23 PM
One thing that could ultimately really help Rui's stock is his Japan roots. In baseball, some owners don't even count the money that they pay Japanese players because they'll make it all back in added ad revenue from Japan. In Rui's case, an owner could demand that he be drafted because the owner would profit off of the rookie deal.

That said, Japan isn't exactly known for the willingness to embrace biracial athletes so maybe not. Difficult to say for sure but that could tip the scale for a few teams ahead of the Spurs who may not otherwise have him atop their draft board.

this is what I was thinking. Spurs could expand into the Japanese market which they haven't done yet and it could become some type of hype like we had with Manu and all the Argentinians coming to the games and buying jerseys. That helps small market teams and we've been known for having a lot of international players on the team. The kid is just a perfect fit and is already a Spurs fan. Would love to have him and Cam Johnson

JeffDuncan
05-31-2019, 06:41 PM
... [Rui is] a bonafide NBA player at this point; ...

No he is not, not even close. He'd need a full year in Austin, at least.

Leetonidas
05-31-2019, 06:43 PM
Definitely not taking talent evaluations from the guy who thinks Jimmer is worth a shit and the emo guy who almost killed himself because Pop ruined his life :lol

Spurtacular
05-31-2019, 06:45 PM

No.

Light
05-31-2019, 09:23 PM
:lol That logic.
:lol 'I don't know about the dude, but if you say he's a cornerstone, the Lonnie has to be too.'
:lol Fanboy crush apparently.

Don't ever confuse your lack of reading comprehension with how sound my logic is. I never argued that lonnie was better or worse than Rui, just that he's also got an NBA body, is humble, coachable, and under the Spurs development system he could turn into a special player. The same things robyz said about Rui, minus the polished offensive game. I don't have to know Rui to know the Spurs would likely give him the g league treatment his first year.

Light
05-31-2019, 09:54 PM
It'll have absolutely nothing to do with that. They're not even the same positions.

As it stands, you're overly optimistic in an unpractical way.

Lonnie has yet to show anything outside of athleticism that he'll be that player. We can hope. I'll admit it's still early in the process.

I just watched a full season of bryn fucking forbes as a starter. I don't think lonnie, with two years of development under his belt, would be any less capable in filling that role. And yes, that is based on optimism.

buujness
05-31-2019, 10:13 PM
Coming out of college, who had the more polished offensive game is up for debate. Hachimura has more moves; Walker had a better shot. Obviously, Walker is more polished now.

Hachimura, at this point, has no clue how to play team defense. If he isn't on the ball, he's either staring into the clouds or running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Larry O
05-31-2019, 11:28 PM
Here's an interesting article from RealGM about how Hachimura feels compelled to be the face of Japan's FIBA Basketball. As he said, this could be a lot of pressure for him, so it sounds like he knows the responsibility and importance this would be for Japan, FIBA and the NBA. IF the Spurs were to draft this guy, as another poster pointed out, this could be another Manu-like sensation, thus adding another fandom to be added to the Spurs' popularity, especially from an international standpoint. It's also gonna be interesting to see how Rui will handle this pressure, but IF the Spurs were to draft him, it's unsure if this could be a distraction for him or the team, but on the other hand, this may also be the organization that can help him to excel with reaching the Japanese fanbase, as well as to help him to cope with the pressures and the responsibilities of being the face of basketball in Japan. On one hand, could SA be too small of a market to build his brand from? But either way, this could be a lot on his shoulders when the time comes. Here's the article:
RealGM WiretapRealGM Wiretap
Rui Hachimura: I Want To Be Face Of Basketball In Japan.
MAY 31, 2019
Rui Hachimura described his excitement of leading a resurgence of interest in Japanese basketball following the national team's recent success.
Hachimura averaged 21.5 points and 6.0 rebounds in leading Japan to its first World Cup appearance in 13 years.
"Basketball's getting bigger in Japan and I want to be the guy, the face of it. I'm so excited about it. I want to be the guy who can be the whole well-rounded athlete for Japan," said Hachimura.
Hachimura added that he feels outside pressure from sneaker companies eager to develop his brand.
"Shoe companies tell me I'm going to be big. It's a bit of pressure. People expect me to be great, but it's not a big deal for me. I just have to do whatever I can on the basketball court and the rest will take care of itself."

Degoat
05-31-2019, 11:37 PM
I’d be thrilled if we draft this guy but I just don’t see it happening

Spurtacular
05-31-2019, 11:43 PM
I just watched a full season of bryn fucking forbes as a starter. I don't think lonnie, with two years of development under his belt, would be any less capable in filling that role. And yes, that is based on optimism.

Bryn has offensive functionality that Walker doesn't possess, namely being reliable from three to space the court.

I'm not prognosticating anything detrimental for Lonnie. I'm simply saying that he has a lot of work to do in all areas of the game; and we don't know if he'll get there or not.

ceperez
06-01-2019, 04:59 AM
I’d be thrilled if we draft this guy but I just don’t see it happening

Next to impossible unless Spurs trade an asset.

13 4 18 16 12 17 19 . https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/15/2019-nba-mock-draft-zion-williamson-lottery-results/

1 in 7 chance that he's available at 19.

Light
06-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Bryn has offensive functionality that Walker doesn't possess, namely being reliable from three to space the court.

I'm not prognosticating anything detrimental for Lonnie. I'm simply saying that he has a lot of work to do in all areas of the game; and we don't know if he'll get there or not.

I agree with you in that Lonnie has a lot of work to do on his game, and no one knows for sure how he'll turn out. My point in bringing up Forbes is that you don't have to have a polished all around game to be a capable starter. Bryn is an undrafted, undersized SG who worked on his game, and found himself starting his third year (albeit due to injuries). Lonnie has a much higher ceiling, and his shot isn't broken. The thought of him being a reliable three point shooter, and capable starter going into his third year, isn't that farfetched for me.

Getting back to the thread topic.. If Rui is the player you believe him to be, I'd be more than happy for the Spurs to get him. I'd just rather it be because of him falling to us, rather than trading a young asset + 19 for him.

Spurtacular
06-01-2019, 01:30 PM
I agree with you in that Lonnie has a lot of work to do on his game, and no one knows for sure how he'll turn out. My point in bringing up Forbes is that you don't have to have a polished all around game to be a capable starter. Bryn is an undrafted, undersized SG who worked on his game, and found himself starting his third year (albeit due to injuries). Lonnie has a much higher ceiling, and his shot isn't broken. The thought of him being a reliable three point shooter, and capable starter going into his third year, isn't that farfetched for me.

Getting back to the thread topic.. If Rui is the player you believe him to be, I'd be more than happy for the Spurs to get him. I'd just rather it be because of him falling to us, rather than trading a young asset + 19 for him.

You don't have to sell me hard on the ridiculousness of Bryn being a starter. Sure, it works when he's in a groove; but overall it's a poor idea. I said he and Mills needed to not even be in the rotation for Game 7 (short of possible spot minutes), and the ST wankers did not like that.

Offensively, I can live with the peaks and valleys for Bryn though; so, it's not that. The fact is he's arguably the worst defensive guard in the league. It's probably between him and Isiah Thomas (even pre-injury).

As for Rui, he's 12th on ESPN's list of best available players, and that's probably low based on some younger or more athletic players getting the benefit of the doubt. He's legit pushing top five best available, imo. There's nothing on our non duo core that should be off the table for that type of player. But I don't know if we'll find a sucker. Nobody is eager to be the next Indiana Pacers (Kawhi Leonard) when it comes to trading down to the Spurs.

Boomersgold
06-01-2019, 08:41 PM

Unlike most players in the draft, Rui already has experience playing against proven NBA players. He plays on the men's national team for Japan and led them to a win over Australia in the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers last year.

RC_Drunkford
06-01-2019, 09:55 PM
Unlike most players in the draft, Rui already has experience playing against proven NBA players. He plays on the men's national team for Japan and led them to a win over Australia in the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers last year.

Hachimura > Mills confirmed

DJR210
06-01-2019, 10:27 PM
as an nba player there is no time to fuck around if you want to be great...

I'll always remember Kawhi's interview at the Rookie Sophmore gamme he first participated in.. Said something alomg the lines of "it's great but I wanna be an all star every year" dude wasn't fucking around

acoelho1
06-01-2019, 10:39 PM
I wonder if PAFTO like Rui over Luka Samanic. If they are both available, my gut tells me they prefer the latter.

spurraider21
06-01-2019, 11:09 PM
oh now you dont speak english again

spurraider21
06-01-2019, 11:12 PM
I'm not prognosticating anything detrimental
lol bustin out the thesaurus

Degoat
06-01-2019, 11:26 PM
I know this thread Is suppose to be about Rui lol but the thing that worries me about Lonnie is his work ethic. I know we joke about dejounte being an Instagram baller but at least he’s in the gym. I follow most of the spurs players on Instagram and most of the guys are always posting stuff in the gym but I never see Lonnie post anything of him working out, getting shots up, etc.

Chinook
06-02-2019, 12:11 AM
I know this thread Is suppose to be about Rui lol but the thing that worries me about Lonnie is his work ethic. I know we joke about dejounte being an Instagram baller but at least he’s in the gym. I follow most of the spurs players on Instagram and most of the guys are always posting stuff in the gym but I never see Lonnie post anything of him working out, getting shots up, etc.

Um, not to make this a Murray thread, but DJM's way of handling social media isn't the only or best way. Lonnie came back from two injuries and improved massively over the course of the season. You don't do that with a shit work ethic. Do you make posts of you at work or getting ready for work, or do you post about fun stuff you do or random thoughts? Walker was probably a regular dude when he got his media accounts. There's nothing wrong with him using them like that rather than like a platform to build his brand. And no, there's nothing wrong with DJM using them like he does either. Different strokes and all that.

timvp
06-02-2019, 12:21 AM

Ironically, I heard just today that Walker has gained ten pounds of muscle already this offseason. The Spurs wanted him to gain 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and he's already 2/3rds of the way there...

Chinook
06-02-2019, 12:27 AM
Ironically, I heard just today that Walker has gained ten pounds of muscle already this offseason. The Spurs wanted him to gain 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and he's already 2/3rds of the way there...

Sounds like the dude is gonna be asked to guard threes. He was already solid when he came into the league. Wonder how it'll affect his hops.

RC_Drunkford
06-02-2019, 12:29 AM

He already looked like he gained muscle mass at the end of the season. Kid already has an NBA body. If he adds another 15 pounds he will be brolic and more like an SF rather than SG. I expect him to have a consistent role next season

SpurPadre
06-02-2019, 01:59 AM
If Walker will be asked to defend threes, could that mean PATFO won't target a SF at the draft?