cutewizard
06-20-2019, 10:04 PM
im in

slick'81
06-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Davis>luka

cool cat
06-20-2019, 10:10 PM
The chant of "should have gone 29" echos the halls.

Genovaswitness
06-20-2019, 10:12 PM
trade bertans

99 Problems
06-20-2019, 10:21 PM
:danceclub

Atl Spur
06-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Leave him overseas for a year; dont need him this year.

dabom6
06-20-2019, 10:52 PM
:danceclub

rastaspur
06-20-2019, 11:17 PM
I think he will pan out and eventually be a good player at worst and potentially a stud. He's already gotten bigger and he seems like a competitor.

I think they did their homework on this one. Hes not going to be a kawhi but hes not going to be a james anderson either.

SpurPadre
06-20-2019, 11:20 PM
Leave him overseas for a year; dont need him this year.

Beggars can't be choosers. I hate this pick but we have to see what he's got because we're not dripping with talent right now.

K...
06-20-2019, 11:42 PM
he's going to play on the main team soon. He doesn't need austin.

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2019, 11:51 PM
Faggot OP just ended this young man's career on the first day

Let's just hope the dipshit doesn't put him as his avatar or Luka's leg will snap like a glowstick

sasaint
06-20-2019, 11:52 PM
I am hoping for a healthier version of Porzingis.

SPURt
06-20-2019, 11:55 PM
I’ll dedicate my celibacy to Luka. Dude is gonna be good. Spurs fans crying like that Knicks fan over Porzingod tonight.

Russ
06-20-2019, 11:57 PM
he's going to play on the main team soon. He doesn't need austin.

He better be in Vegas.

DMC
06-21-2019, 06:52 AM
As long as we keep making the playoffs that's our ring.

8FOR!3
06-21-2019, 06:56 AM
I think he will pan out and eventually be a good player at worst and potentially a stud. He's already gotten bigger and he seems like a competitor.

I think they did their homework on this one. Hes not going to be a kawhi but hes not going to be a james anderson either.

Watching RC's post draft interview it seems like Luka was very well scouted by the organization. He spoke well on his strengths and weaknesses and says that he's expected to be on the team this year and not stashed overseas. I also want to say the Spurs had Keldon Johnson ranked #1 at this position in the draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISyFErq9pw

There's the interview idk if I got it right or not about Keldon.

ZeusWillJudge
06-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Cool Hand Luka!

r0drig0lac
06-21-2019, 12:48 PM
better Luka in the nba

GreekSpursfan
06-21-2019, 01:08 PM
He needs two years and if his work ethic is great(super important) he might end up better than some other Luka we all know. I'm in.

look_at_g_shred
06-21-2019, 01:28 PM
The chant of "should have gone 29" echos the halls.
Bruh :lmao

phxspurfan
06-21-2019, 01:46 PM
Cool Hand Luka!

ah there it is

cd98
06-21-2019, 01:46 PM
I can commit for three years.

GAustex
07-20-2020, 10:50 PM
Nice
Notice the no D
Marco of course

talkspurs
07-20-2020, 10:58 PM
Nice
Notice the no D
Marco of course

So was luka playing at SF? Looks like Metu and Drew are also on his team so they would be the pf/C I would think.
Also looks like pop is not doing as much player development as he said since he has all the youngs on one team and the olds on the other.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-20-2020, 11:52 PM
set up by the sick off-ball movement by forbes per par

TimDunkem
07-21-2020, 09:56 AM
Nice
Notice the no D
Marco of course
Poeltl getting dunked on as usual too

Shakril just got a notification

spurspl
07-21-2020, 05:30 PM

whats so special in this dunk?? lol

Collins21
07-21-2020, 05:43 PM
Poeltl getting dunked on as usual too

Shakril just got a notification

Yeah every time I see him against an athletic 5 he's getting abused but people think he's worth a lot of money.

SpursDynasty85
07-21-2020, 06:16 PM
whats so special in this dunk?? lol

He was fouled on the play and it was on Jakob Poetl. If it was an NBA game, crowd would've gotten loud.

GAustex
07-21-2020, 06:19 PM
Jakob and LaMarcus having to guard the rim with such a group of worthless defenders.

TimDunkem
07-21-2020, 06:53 PM
Jakob and LaMarcus having to guard the rim with such a group of worthless defenders.

But aren't DJ, DWhite, and KJ Wingstop on sterioids like ST says?

GAustex
07-21-2020, 07:02 PM
DJ is overrated
DW is pretty good but his feet get hurt a lot
And KJ ain’t shown nuthn yet
Beli, Mills, DDR, Beli, Gay and especially Forbes SUCK on defense

Degoat
07-21-2020, 11:43 PM
As much as I hated us drafting Luka IF he and the spurs develop him right he could have a very bright future

B1gduff
07-22-2020, 11:49 AM
We got to be patient with Samanic, the ceiling is there for him to be an all-star.

Texas_Ranger
07-22-2020, 03:43 PM
We got to be patient with Samanic, the ceiling is there for him to be an all-star.

his ceiling is being a big marco belinelli.

KobesAchilles
07-22-2020, 05:38 PM
I mean it kinda shows that Pop is planning to play Marco minutes and not really focus on development like he said...

spurspl
07-22-2020, 06:41 PM
He was fouled on the play and it was on Jakob Poetl. If it was an NBA game, crowd would've gotten loud.

Poeltl was late thats why luka 'dunked' on him.

all star XD keep dreamin

GAustex
07-22-2020, 07:07 PM
Jakob had to cover for who ever let Spoon into the paint. That is why he was late moving over to cover for Marco.
Jeez

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-23-2020, 10:29 AM
I'm going to assume the best case scenario...that we're going to see Luka evolve into something special over the next couple of years.

SAGirl
07-23-2020, 08:02 PM
I'm going to assume the best case scenario...that we're going to see Luka evolve into something special over the next couple of years.
He only got 4 minutes in a preseason game where development is the focus. Still getting over himself I guess.

objective
07-23-2020, 08:53 PM
Samanic has a ceiling of Trey Lyles.

Dejounte
07-23-2020, 09:13 PM
He only got 4 minutes in a preseason game where development is the focus. Still getting over himself I guess.

I think its moreso that hes guaranteed to have a job next year... While people like Eubanks, Metu arent. Spurs are the type of organization that would look out for players.

offset formation
07-23-2020, 09:44 PM

Oh STFU. Did you catch that Pop wasn't even coaching? Seems like Becky was running the ship tonight and the Spurs announcement about 3 different coaches taking these first three games confirms that.

In other words, your attempted dig has no basis in reality much like many of your posts.

Go back to the Grizzlies fan page already.

ismael-robert
07-23-2020, 10:49 PM
Sorry she has valid point. Pop is still in charge n she's not gonna run something different than what he designed. He wouldn't lose a whole scrimmage of development gotta use what ur given.

phxspurfan
07-24-2020, 01:06 AM
Bust McBusterson

objective
07-24-2020, 02:43 AM
Hammon not playing Samanic is just more evidence for him being a generational scrub. it's no coincidence that the game she's allowed to call some of the shots that White, Murray, and Lonnie play more minutes together in the first quarter than they did the entire season. Maybe Pop was laying pressure and that's why Forbes still played and Samanic barely hit the floor, but I trust Hammon's rotations a lot more than Pop's.

The problem is that Samanic is just bad, and doesn't seem like he deserves to play unless they just need another body out there. Not much for a 'developmental' role, the guy hasn't been any good. If I remember right he had the second worst advanced stat rookie g-league season of any Spur assignee ever (including two-ways). He turns the ball over a ton, has never been a good shooter, and doesn't hustle his ass off either, unlike Keldon.

Atl Spur
07-24-2020, 12:46 PM
Hammon not playing Samanic is just more evidence for him being a generational scrub. it's no coincidence that the game she's allowed to call some of the shots that White, Murray, and Lonnie play more minutes together in the first quarter than they did the entire season. Maybe Pop was laying pressure and that's why Forbes still played and Samanic barely hit the floor, but I trust Hammon's rotations a lot more than Pop's.

The problem is that Samanic is just bad, and doesn't seem like he deserves to play unless they just need another body out there. Not much for a 'developmental' role, the guy hasn't been any good. If I remember right he had the second worst advanced stat rookie g-league season of any Spur assignee ever (including two-ways). He turns the ball over a ton, has never been a good shooter, and doesn't hustle his ass off either, unlike Keldon.

Someone please bookmark this take:) I’m sure this will come back to bite him!!

SAGirl
07-24-2020, 02:03 PM

What I bolded is what I am afraid of. I trust that Becky wants to win every game regardless of how the odds are looking, unless her hand was forced. Since Luka is a rook, Pop wasn't going to force her hand. So he didn't play bc he didn't deserve more of a chance. (contrast that with another rookie, drafted later, Johnson, who did play more).

Wow. I have preferred to give this guy the benefit of the doubt since I have stopped watching the gleague, but your comments are alarming.

Dejounte
07-24-2020, 02:13 PM
Meh it will take time for the rook. I caught all gleague games. He has potential. He has that Lonnie Walker learning curve, and just like Lonnie its gonna be a while for him to earn it.

Samanic not getting minutes is less about Samanic and more about the other players ahead of him, like I posted earlier. The Spurs are not gonna hang those other players out to dry and destroy their careers. Theyre not quality NBA players for sure, but the Spurs will do everything they can so that they can continue their career (doesnt have to be here). Im speaking of Eubanks and Metu here. Those two must be thanking their lucky stars for getting these undeserved (only because they suck) minutes over Samanic. Behind the scenes, i bet the Spurs are making calls to other teams to pick them up via free agency even if they dont get nothing out of it. This is how I envision the Spurs being classy. In turn, Samanic sees that he has to earn the role and sees that the Spurs are a loyal organization. This will aid him in his maturity. Win win on both sides.

The reason Keldon is getting minutes is because anyone he is playing over has already a future in this league. Also, because he has a Kawhi type learning curve where the dude just gets it.

SAGirl
07-24-2020, 03:45 PM
Meh it will take time for the rook. I caught all gleague games. He has potential. He has that Lonnie Walker learning curve, and just like Lonnie its gonna be a while for him to earn it.

Samanic not getting minutes is less about Samanic and more about the other players ahead of him, like I posted earlier. The Spurs are not gonna hang those other players out to dry and destroy their careers. Theyre not quality NBA players for sure, but the Spurs will do everything they can so that they can continue their career (doesnt have to be here). Im speaking of Eubanks and Metu here. Those two must be thanking their lucky stars for getting these undeserved (only because they suck) minutes over Samanic. Behind the scenes, i bet the Spurs are making calls to other teams to pick them up via free agency even if they dont get nothing out of it. This is how I envision the Spurs being classy. In turn, Samanic sees that he has to earn the role and sees that the Spurs are a loyal organization. This will aid him in his maturity. Win win on both sides.

The reason Keldon is getting minutes is because anyone he is playing over has already a future in this league. Also, because he has a Kawhi type learning curve where the dude just gets it.

I don't buy it. Those other guys careers are not going to get destroyed, they are all marginal players to begin with, end of the bench guys, while Samanic was their highest draft pick last year and presumably a guy they really wanted. Someone in the FO was really high on this pick to risk not getting Johnson with their 29 pick for example (because some other team could have picked Johnson b4 then).

Without Aldridge and Lyles, I think the coaches could have easily carved out more time for Samanic if he had earned it. Everyone else is ahead of where he is at, including Metu. That can't be a good sign. Maybe he will play more in the upcoming games.

Dejounte
07-24-2020, 06:05 PM
I don't buy it. Those other guys careers are not going to get destroyed, they are all marginal players to begin with, end of the bench guys, while Samanic was their highest draft pick last year and presumably a guy they really wanted. Someone in the FO was really high on this pick to risk not getting Johnson with their 29 pick for example (because some other team could have picked Johnson b4 then).

Without Aldridge and Lyles, I think the coaches could have easily carved out more time for Samanic if he had earned it. Everyone else is ahead of where he is at, including Metu. That can't be a good sign. Maybe he will play more in the upcoming games.

Well, we will see. The Spurs way has always been about milking their assets until they see their peak potential. It wont be a matter of if but when we will start to see the Spurs invest more in his development. I just dont think this is another Metu situation where its clear for everyone to see what is there. With Samanic, he grew over his tenure in the Gleague and improvement is always a thing the Spurs look for in players.

Sugus
07-24-2020, 07:31 PM
Ahh, hot takes based off a fucking scrimmage. I missed this.

ace3g
07-27-2020, 10:51 PM
From Luka's IG stories

https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/115790277_2713914295595361_1861220200002567871_n.j pg?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=6wDXPZ4UDkUAX-4THzC&oh=184fdbe8fa99d95662f52b1e2a94c047&oe=5F222F30

https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/116271596_114325030204776_7870082212410320029_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=OqhmDtZgukcAX9zVe6-&oh=5b34182e215b8ddec45bc28f9027daf0&oe=5F223FB2

Dejounte
07-28-2020, 07:25 AM
Luka does have that mean ass stare. Him being focused on getting better is all you can hope for.

KobesAchilles
07-28-2020, 09:55 AM
Luka is a beast. He is the best draft pick since Kawhi. Dude is barely 20 and is already putting up 29, 9, and 9. He's a future MVP... oh wait. You mean our Luka? He's a scrubbier version of Bonner.

TimDunkem
07-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Luka is a beast. He is the best draft pick since Kawhi. Dude is barely 20 and is already putting up 29, 9, and 9. He's a future MVP... oh wait. You mean our Luka? He's a scrubbier version of Bonner.

Imagine picking some Euro project named Sandwich when Thybulle or Clarke were available because you couldn't wait to pick him.

Almost as bad as picking a raw stick figure with no jumper or handles, and chases thots on IG over an NBA ready player in Brogdon who WANTED to play for you.

EasyMoney
07-28-2020, 11:16 AM
Brandon Clarke or Matisse Thybulle...dammit man.

KobesAchilles
07-28-2020, 11:20 AM
Imagine picking some Euro project named Sandwich when Thybulle or Clarke were available because you couldn't wait to pick him.

Almost as bad as picking a raw stick figure with no jumper or handles, and chases thots on IG over an NBA ready player in Brogdon who WANTED to play for you.
I agree brah. IG Baller will never be the player his fans think he will become. Dude has no handles and no feel for the game. Brogdon is what I'm hoping White will become. But a Brogdon/White duo would be sick and actually get playing time together bc Brogdon can space the floor.

And they reached with Luka for sure. But I'm hoping that KJ becomes the real deal. The dude has a motor in defense, nastyness, and bully ball. It's about time we got that Mario Ellie toughness back

TimDunkem
07-28-2020, 11:26 AM
I agree brah. IG Baller will never be the player his fans think he will become. Dude has no handles and no feel for the game. Brogdon is what I'm hoping White will become. But a Brogdon/White duo would be sick and actually get playing time together bc Brogdon can space the floor.

And they reached with Luka for sure. But I'm hoping that KJ becomes the real deal. The dude has a motor in defense, nastyness, and bully ball. It's about time we got that Mario Ellie toughness back
Ain't even mad about KJ, but Puka? What a reach. Would it have really been so awful if he went to someone else when you had Thybulle or Clarke to pick? Imagine Clarke/KJ or Thybulle/KJ. You would be set at the 2&3 or 2&4 for years.

Instead, hopefully Puka becomes something in 3 years. smfh

That White point is a good one btw. People want to point to White as if that makes the DJ over Brogdon pick any better. You wouldn't need this glut of mediocre guards if you had Brogdon, White, and Walker holding it down at the guard positions. :lol

SAGirl
07-28-2020, 11:29 AM

omg!!!! I was ROFL over this. Some fans have gotten bitter like me and forgotten their sense of humor. It’s mainly why I love sports forums. The Lol factor.

TimDunkem
07-28-2020, 11:33 AM
omg!!!! I was ROFL over this. Some fans have gotten bitter like me and forgotten their sense of humor. It’s mainly why I love sports forums. The Lol factor.
I would be lolling too if it wasn't so sad.

Puka Sandwich....SMFH

Dancelot
07-28-2020, 11:38 AM

depressing

KobesAchilles
07-28-2020, 11:39 AM
Ain't even mad about KJ, but Puka? What a reach. Would it have really been so awful if he went to someone else when you had Thybulle or Clarke to pick? Imagine Clarke/KJ or Thybulle/KJ. You would be set at the 2&3 or 2&4 for years.

Instead, hopefully Puka becomes something in 3 years. smfh

That White point is a good one btw. People want to point to White as if that makes the DJ over Brogdon pick any better. You wouldn't need this glut of mediocre guards if you had Brogdon, White, and Walker holding it down at the guard positions. :lol
It's an even dumber pick when you take into account the Spurs traded a better version of Luka in Bertans. Both the same height. Both got T-rex arms. Both can't rebound worth shit. But Bertans gives you 4 made 3 pointers a game which is 40% of the Spurs made 3s this year :lol

TimDunkem
07-28-2020, 11:55 AM
It's an even dumber pick when you take into account the Spurs traded a better version of Luka in Bertans. Both the same height. Both got T-rex arms. Both can't rebound worth shit. But Bertans gives you 4 made 3 pointers a game which is 40% of the Spurs made 3s this year :lol
To bring both Marcus Morris (who went to the Knicks) and DeMarre Carroll (who is being paid to play for Houston now) to the team.

What a joke of a FO.

Now someone will quote me and mention how it's all either Kawhi or MM's fault despite that not explaining why PATFO has fucked up just about every single decision they've made since 2017.

spurraider21
07-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Luka could have theoretically actually been a big (given you some of the spacing that Bertans provides, while also being able to defend/rebound). my issue is that for all the talk about his athletic ability and measurable, he doesnt really look all that explosive on the floor. just sorta floats around

B1gduff
08-13-2020, 09:15 PM
Where are all the haters at? Saminac shows up and proves just why he was picked and they all leave.

31 mins, 16pts 6 reb 3 ast and a plus +7 easily tied with Keldon as the best player on the floor today.

TDomination
08-13-2020, 09:18 PM
At least we left the season with some hope for Luka.

SAGirl
08-13-2020, 09:22 PM
At least we left the season with some hope for Luka.
This is how I am seeing it. :toast

SAGirl
08-13-2020, 10:00 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Rl4ERSO.png

We Already have pop calling Keldon a Leader, maybe this game was Keldon's example of his deeds if not actual words getting though to Luka. Hopefully this is the start of a Long Term Tandem.

I like White but at 26 he will be near or over 30 when these young prospects Walker, Johnson, and Samanic START hitting there Stride at 24-27. He is NICE but I see him as a bridge to a new era of the Next big 3 , These kids who are all of 20-21.

I have shit not on Luka's TALENT but his MOTOR, Mental Resilience and fortitude. Some guys can GIVE that to their teammates. I think Keldon is that guy. White for sure isn't, as NICE as he is as a late blooming talent. Good for him.
I am hoping for the best with Luka and I am as impressed with Keldon as everyone else is, but I don't see the rush to get rid of White, unless this is about whether to pay up for him vs. Murray. I do think there could potentially be an issue there. I'd rather keep White than Murray at this point bc I am tired of Murray's low bbiq and ballhogging instagram balling ways.

itzsoweezee
08-14-2020, 12:01 AM
Where are all the haters at? Saminac shows up and proves just why he was picked and they all leave.

31 mins, 16pts 6 reb 3 ast and a plus +7 easily tied with Keldon as the best player on the floor today.

He made some open shots. Other than that, he had no impact. For a supposedly athletic guy, he looked like a fucking stiff.

LakerHater
08-14-2020, 12:07 AM
Hes gonna take a lil bita time but I think he'll come around!

phxspurfan
08-14-2020, 01:21 AM
Hes gonna take a lil bita time but I think he'll come around!

Define lil bita time. 5 or 6 years

phxspurfan
08-14-2020, 01:23 AM
He made some open shots. Other than that, he had no impact. For a supposedly athletic guy, he looked like a fucking stiff.

+1000

Matt Bonner today, after eating a foot long sandwich, would have run circles around this dude. Which is amazing, considering he doesn’t look out of shape at all.

duncan2150
08-14-2020, 05:02 AM
I Hope people saw his lateral quickness . He's such a liability on D, really easy to eliminate.

He needs a lot of work.

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 06:49 AM
His defensive positioning is shitty, he needs to work on that. It's all learning where to be on defense and footwork. That should be easy for him to pick up and comes with experience. If he can defend and knock down open shot he's ready to contribute. The kid got potential

BackHome
08-14-2020, 07:21 AM
Haters going to Hate.

Dejounte
08-14-2020, 07:49 AM
I say Luka will be fine. This will be his first offseason as a Spur, let's see how hard he works.

I'd argue Murray's defensive positioning in his rookie year was worse and that was with more minutes. He was a deer in headlights.

Some improvement in defensive positioning and ball handling will make him an impressive player for a 21 year old next season.

exstatic
08-14-2020, 08:07 AM
Haters going to Hate.

Atl Spur
08-14-2020, 08:11 AM
Luka will be fine; some of you are still shitty on your jobs 5 years later

Nivek_ogre
08-14-2020, 08:28 AM
He didn't look stiff at all. He moved his his feet well and has a good first step. He's just lost and the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. Some of you don't know shit when watching a game.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-14-2020, 08:37 AM
Some of the folks commenting obviously didn't watch the game. Lol.

Luka is far from being a stiff

r0drig0lac
08-14-2020, 09:51 AM
his jumper was encouraging, and he seems to have the potential to be a good defender (on the perimeter), everything else needs a lot of work.

EasyMoney
08-14-2020, 09:52 AM
Some of the folks commenting obviously didn't watch the game. Lol.

Luka is far from being a stiff

Those idiots already formed their opinion on him, despite watching him for 5 minutes before yesterday.

BillMc
08-14-2020, 10:21 AM
Haters going to Hate.

BillMc
08-14-2020, 10:23 AM
He didn't look stiff at all. He moved his his feet well and has a good first step. He's just lost and the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. Some of you don't know shit when watching a game.

This. I was impressed with his quick feet. And even though he screwed up rotations often, he showed good speed trying to recover. Give him a few years and he could (key word here) be a major asset.

tim_duncan_fan
08-14-2020, 10:27 AM
He made some open shots.

I'm not super over the moon about the guy, but frankly tall and able to hit open shots is not necessarily something to sneeze at.

Floyd Pacquiao
08-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Didn’t watch is he better than trey lyles already?

tim_duncan_fan
08-14-2020, 10:44 AM
Didn’t watch is he better than trey lyles already?

Nah. At least I don't think so. But if he is planning to grow at all, he could surpass him pretty quickly.

He looks A LOT like Eubanks in that you can see where they have an amazing play in their minds and the potential to make it happen, but inexperience prevents him from pulling it off. Luka is developing a spin move in the post that looked like it could be surefire once he's out of his awkward fawn stage.

duncan2150
08-14-2020, 10:55 AM
I watched luka since a long time ago, in Europe the Scouts who knows more about him than us said that he is lazy, with a bad feel for the game plus he was a bad defender.

Im a spurs fan so I Hope he will be good but actually I think he id far from ready. His motor and his D are big questions for me.

dbestpro
08-14-2020, 11:35 AM
The Spurs as a team have been routinely getting burned for 130 points and now everyone wants to talk about Luka's D. Stop hating. He had a nice first game scored 16 points. 50% shooting 75% from three.

Chinook
08-14-2020, 11:41 AM
I didn't dislike him on the court. He looked raw, but I think if he had to, he could play a stretch-four role on the team next year. He's not a starter with his lack of girth, but if Gay gets traded, it'd make sense to give Luka his spot in the rotation.

I don't see any point in trashing Sam to pump up anyone else. I want him to succeed and am happy he wasn't a huge failure last night. Does that mean he was the right pick? We'll see. Last night was a reason to hope, not evidence of truth. Still, I'm happy to go into the summer thinking all of the Spurs recent first-rounders can at least hang in the NBA. Even Metu was all right, even though I wouldn't miss him if the team moves on.

duncan2150
08-14-2020, 12:06 PM
The Spurs as a team have been routinely getting burned for 130 points and now everyone wants to talk about Luka's D. Stop hating. He had a nice first game scored 16 points. 50% shooting 75% from three.

Excuse me but thats a baaad opinion with no argument.

He is the highest pick for the spurs since Duncan and leonard.

We juste exchange about what he is now and what he could be. Stop with "the hate"....

TimDunkem
08-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Define lil bita time. 5 or 6 years

In 2 or 3 years when he is still 2 years away people are going to be wishing we picked one of the older rookies or Bazley.

davi78239
08-14-2020, 12:53 PM
In 2 or 3 years when he is still 2 years away people are going to be wishing we picked one of the older rookies or Bazley.

This

Russ
08-14-2020, 01:05 PM
He looks like a designated sniper. If he can become more, so much the better.

GB20
08-14-2020, 01:30 PM
How can you say this? He looked good yesterday for being his first NBA game.

TimDunkem
08-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Because he's so obviously raw that when this team might actually be competitive again this team will definitely wish it had something better than a poor man's Ilyasova.

spurraider21
08-14-2020, 02:29 PM
He looks like a designated sniper. If he can become more, so much the better.
and he's not even a good shooter. his form looks natural enough, but he's only a 30% 3 point shooter in the gleague. wasn't a high% shooter overseas either... usually upper 20's, low-mid 30's

he hit 3-5 yesterday, sure, but he's far from a sniper

B1gduff
08-14-2020, 02:53 PM

What? lamo did you actually take the time to watch the game? He probably was the 2nd and even at time could have been the best player on the floor alongside with Keldon. Him and Keldon were the reason we weren't blown out.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-14-2020, 03:18 PM
How can you say this? He looked good yesterday for being his first NBA game.

because he most likely didn’t watch the game or any G league games. Lmao

ace3g
08-15-2020, 12:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNESd2p-4Ew

I have unfurled the Croatian flags at my property. I have turned my sound system's volume up to 100 blasting Croatian pop hits from the 90s to the present day. I am indulging in homemade palačinke and have two bottles of the finest Dalmatian wine to help wash them down. What is the cause for this festive Croatia-themed celebration, you ask?

Luka Samanic just scored sixteen points. After literally not scoring a single point the whole season. It was Samanic's last chance to erase the zero next to his name in the season stat sheet, and not only did he erase it, he OBLITERATED it.

Yeah, he only played in two games (seventen minutes total) prior to this game, so this was his first real chance to get in a rhythm and hit some shots. Still, I didn't expect this raw young dude from Croatia (did I mention he's from Croatia yet?) to do THIS much damage. I was thinking he might score six or eight points. Sixteen points, and three assists, that's beyond my wildest dreams. That's why I'm bopping to Severina right now (Rodjeno moje is becoming my summer anthem for real).

Is there gonna be a summer league this season? Are they gonna call it "Fall League"? How about a Euro Cup of some kind? When's the next time I get to see Samanic play? Because, in this unjust world, you know he won't get any minutes in the playoffs. The Spurs are in the playoffs right?

Kurgan
08-15-2020, 04:37 AM
and he's not even a good shooter. his form looks natural enough, but he's only a 30% 3 point shooter in the gleague. wasn't a high% shooter overseas either... usually upper 20's, low-mid 30's

he hit 3-5 yesterday, sure, but he's far from a sniper

I'm not too concerned with G-League shooting numbers considering everyone there is out to inflate their own numbers and no one really runs plays for each other. Keldon for example missed his first 25 3s in G-League and he's been fine in the NBA where he's getting open looks. I'm more worried about how turnover prone this guy is. After Jeff Ayres, I don't ever want to see another big man with butterfingers.

duncan2150
08-15-2020, 07:22 AM
Tough I didn't like his D, something I like except his shooting touch is his passing.

He made good passes several times.

objective
08-15-2020, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't get too worked up by his stats. With a couple of exceptions going for 8 in the west and those games, the final games in the bubble were scrub explosions like every year. These weren't real games and nobody was actually playing like it.

He's a willing shooter and that's good but I still don't love how his shot looks, compared to Bertans who was a real sharpshooter.

Beyond that it's hard to take his result seriously good or bad.

Look at the final games:

Javonte Green scored 23 (only scored double digits, 12, once this year)
Taylor Horton-Tucker had 14, 4 reb, 3 ast, and 3 steals, all career highs
Frank Mason III tied for the second highest point total in his career
Paul Watson had 22 and 6, after totaling 9 points in his career
Stanley Johnson had 22, 4 reb and 6 assists. 2nd highest career totals for points and assists
PJ Dozier had 20, 5r and 8a. Career high in points. Last year in the final game he had 12, 11 and 5
Alize Johnson had 11, 17r and 4a, all career highs.
Hamidou Diallo had 27 and 11r. Both career highs.
Amir Coffey had 21, 2 and 4, with career highs in points and assists.
Terance Mann had 25, 14, and 9. All career highs.

Even Chimezie Metu tied his career high for scoring and set new career highs in rebounds and assists (6 and 4)

Final game of 96-97 had Carl Herrera going for 19 and 14, he would never reach either mark again his last two years in the league.

In 2000-01, Shawnelle Scott for the Spurs started and had his only career double double, 14 and 14 and a career high 29 minutes.

And back in the final game of 2011-12 when Golden State were tanking their ass off to keep their draft pick they had Chis Wright, whoever that is, go for 25 and 8 rebounds, both career highs, the points in a big way. That game also had Jeremy Tyler going for the 2nd highest points total of his career, and Mickell Gladness in his only NBA season getting career highs of 14 and 9.

Final game stats where teams aren't playing for anything are always suspect.

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 09:58 PM
It was less about the stats than it was him finally showing he cared. He was getting into defensive stance (lowering his back) and it gave me relief. I disagree about his shot, it looks fast and quick which only the best shooters have. I think he can nail it at a high clip.

BackHome
08-16-2020, 09:59 AM
I really like him at the top he is so big I can really see him and Keldon doing a lot of alley oops for easy dunks by Keldon.

itzsoweezee
08-16-2020, 12:02 PM
because he most likely didn’t watch the game or any G league games. Lmao

He scored 16 points in what was a glorified g league game. He looked overwhelmed on defense. No physicality, no athleticism. This is your hero?

This dude is a future Mike Muscala

BackHome
08-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Glad to see you have so much hate for a first year G League player who has to learn a different language and how to play NBA rules basketball. Let me guess you were probably one of the early ones who said White sucks and Keldon sucks before bubble games.

You do know he was drafted him with the understanding that it would take him 3 years before he was developed enough to get meaningful minutes.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Heres the difference between people who hate on Samanic and those who dont:

Those who hate are so confident to say the book has closed on Samanic

Those who dont hate are honest enough to say they dont know how he will turn out

And yet, the ones who criticize the latter accuse them for being homers

Ill just leave this here:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/18/20/b218204c84a6b6455049fea1af80a701.jpg

Twisted_Dawg
08-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Heres the difference between people who hate on Samanic and those who dont:

Those who hate are so confident to say the book has closed on Samanic

Those who dont hate are honest enough to say they dont know how he will turn out

And yet, the ones who criticize the latter accuse them for being homers

Ill just leave this here:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/18/20/b218204c84a6b6455049fea1af80a701.jpg

I've wondered why there is so much hate for Luka. (Full disclosure, I'm not a fan and hated the pick when so much better talent was available.) Just a thought, but perhaps the hate is really misdirected anger at Pop? Many fans are still livid at the horrible return on the Kawhi trade. Many fans are frustrated with Pop's line ups and substitutions, and perceived favoritism shown to certain players. We've seen for years PATFO's favoritism for Euro's over young American players. It might have worked for Parker and Manu twenty years ago, and to a lesser degree Splitter, but what have they shown us lately? Livio? Militunov? So as the frustrations build, fans watch PATFO draft yet another big white Euro over some quality young American players. Thus the hate was born.

I'm a long time Spurs fan. I hope Luka works himself into a solid NBA player. My gut tells me he'll be another failed big white Euro project forced on us by PATFO.

BackHome
08-16-2020, 03:03 PM
You do know that your talking about guys being drafted late first round 26th and 28th picks. I would probably guess that maybe only 8% of guys drafted this late stay more then 3 years in the NBA.

TD 21
08-16-2020, 03:43 PM
I've wondered why there is so much hate for Luka. (Full disclosure, I'm not a fan and hated the pick when so much better talent was available.) Just a thought, but perhaps the hate is really misdirected anger at Pop? Many fans are still livid at the horrible return on the Kawhi trade. Many fans are frustrated with Pop's line ups and substitutions, and perceived favoritism shown to certain players. We've seen for years PATFO's favoritism for Euro's over young American players. It might have worked for Parker and Manu twenty years ago, and to a lesser degree Splitter, but what have they shown us lately? Livio? Militunov? So as the frustrations build, fans watch PATFO draft yet another big white Euro over some quality young American players. Thus the hate was born.

I'm a long time Spurs fan. I hope Luka works himself into a solid NBA player. My gut tells me he'll be another failed big white Euro project forced on us by PATFO.

Unfortunately correct. Typical dumb American sentiment. Americans get to be individuals, but "euro's" or internationals period are somehow one size fits all.

He clearly has significantly more upside than the likes of Jean-Charles or Milutinov ever did. It seems a longshot, but if he puts it all together (mentality, 3-point shot, strength), he could be Siakam lite. A four with switch ability and a big wing skillset, who can dust closeouts and post undersized wings/switches, is a mismatch nightmare.

BillMc
08-16-2020, 03:59 PM
He's the youngest guy on the team. Give him time.

toki9
08-16-2020, 07:18 PM
You do know that your talking about guys being drafted late first round 26th and 28th picks. I would probably guess that maybe only 8% of guys drafted this late stay more then 3 years in the NBA.

Here's an interesting look at player career stats by draft position (Has average games played. 26th pick had average games played of 248--so about 3 regular seasons. 28th pick had 250 games.). Data is little stale, but still interesting: https://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-16-2020, 11:21 PM
He scored 16 points in what was a glorified g league game. He looked overwhelmed on defense. No physicality, no athleticism. This is your hero?

This dude is a future Mike Muscala

It's okay to admit that you didn't watch the game and only looked at the highlights.

look_at_g_shred
08-17-2020, 08:45 AM
He seems like a real intriguing player. I'll be the first to admit I didn't understand the pick at 19. But hey, if that means you get "your guy" then go ahead. He has A LOT of room to grow, but at least he showed that there is at least a pulse. Just like any player, actual NBA minutes are only going to help. I hope he's in the rotation next year. DJ/White/Lonnie/KJ/Luka/Lottery pick . This team's future is not as bleak as we thought it was 1 year ago.

wildbill2u
08-17-2020, 04:33 PM
Spurs talk is like abusive parents picking on one child to torment. Luka is the flavor of the day. Can't believe so much negative hate for a kid barely into his first NBA game. Do you think there might have been some butterflies? We've made good picks and bad picks over the years. Let's wait and see and stop picking on him with all this abuse

venitian navigator
08-18-2020, 02:58 AM
About Luka I think the same of most of you...looks clear the skills and potential are there. It will take time to understand if it will translate in the actual big boys game. Clues, for as few as they are and for as little as they may mean, at the moment looks positive...

GAustex
08-19-2020, 11:55 AM
Luka needs to prove he can be effective against the big mean athletic dudes

Atl Spur
08-19-2020, 01:32 PM
Let him live.......he has time to mature. I like him

cd98
08-19-2020, 01:52 PM
Luka hasn't proved he belongs in the NBA, but he also hasn't proved that he doesn't belong. We all know Pop is famous for holding back players until he feels they are ready. We waited an eternity to see what Splitter could do and Pop waited until too late to let him play in the Grizzlies playoff series way back when. He did that with George Hill too. Every rookie but Kawhi has had to park it on the bench or go to the G League for a year at least before they could even think about earning NBA minutes. So we will not have a clue of how good Luka will be on an NBA level for at least one more year. And he is likely to lose "summer" league games to develop as there is unlikely to be such games in the fall. So he may need an even longer timeline to analyze.

He has good skills for the current way the NBA is played, but we won't know if he can play on this stage consistently in games that matter for at least another year.

ace3g
08-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Will Luka transform into Birdman by the time his career is over? New ink.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgJ75mzUwAAjSRs?format=jpg&name=large

ace3g
09-07-2020, 09:00 PM
closer look at the new ink

CEkgE4oD-G5

BackHome
09-07-2020, 09:04 PM
Legit a nice piece.

EasyMoney
09-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Machine gun Kelly? Ok.

ace3g
09-12-2020, 10:29 AM
I guess those Tara Tara Geico commercials really stuck with Luka

https://scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/119062678_4553715054669091_6332454590927585697_n.j pg?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=cFUOmPNf2q0AX9M9rTw&oh=c0c788f6effc5d858877326ee5621e6e&oe=5F5F229E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaE8YOF-gLA

SAGirl
09-12-2020, 12:45 PM
I really want this guy to be ready next season. He's basically (because of COVID) had 2 years after getting drafted to put on muscle at least and come back hungry for minutes.

Atl Spur
09-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Hopefully he aspires to be the best Luka in Texas!

talkspurs
09-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Hopefully he aspires to be the best Luka in Texas!

Not that I think this will happen but hopefully he becomes the best Luka in Texas.

exstatic
09-12-2020, 01:07 PM
He won’t. Doncic just does too many things too well. What I would settle for is for him to be the best Samanic he can be, and that would be pretty damn good.

spurspl
09-12-2020, 02:35 PM
hope he was on training before this dinner

exstatic
09-12-2020, 02:51 PM
hope he was on training before this dinner

Are Spurs not allowed to eat now? It’s sushi, for fucks sake. Low fat, high protein. There’s hardly a better way TO consume protein.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 12:05 PM
https://twitter.com/austin_spurs/status/1305189503905050624?s=19

If he can do half of what he's showing here, we'd have something special...

BWS-1994
09-13-2020, 02:58 PM
What were the alt jerseys at 1:30 mark?

Also at the 1:50 and 2:14 mark.

ismael-robert
09-13-2020, 03:07 PM
Who chose background music? Sounds like 90s kids video game

exstatic
09-13-2020, 05:46 PM
He has a combination of physical profile and skill set that no one in this draft has. I mean, it’s freakish JUST that he’s 6’10” and has a 38” vert. Throw in the ability to dribble, drive and shoot, and even 2019 Samanic is a top 5 pick in this raggedy draft.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 06:43 PM
https://youtu.be/3TYbzkRkeXQ

I'm trying to scout Luka through the lens of if he was a 2020 draft prospect.

Notes:
-His shot is beautiful.
-any time he gets within 3-5 feet within the basket with a defender on him, it gets ugly. Like Lonnie Walker ugly.
-his ability to drive is basically what we wish any big in the 2020 draft could do. He's quick enough. Problem is the point I made above... He can't finish. I don't even think it's a strength thing. It's a control thing with his hands.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 07:03 PM
Luka needs to go to the school of Keldon on how to finish.

By the way, for comparison: Precious is older than Luka by 3 months. Toppin is older than Luka by a year and a half.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 07:16 PM
I think the next step in Luka's evolution is to imitate Dirk Nowitzi's offense. He started doing it towards the end of the gleague season. I saw a couple signature fadeaways and with the knee kicking out. He needs to keep shooting those kinds of shots because he can literally do it over anybody. He needs to stop trying too much to be like KD. His real potential is his shot.

https://youtu.be/4Pauj0T1uqU

Example of the shot that I think he needs to practice is at 9:36

Sugus
09-13-2020, 07:20 PM
Luka needs to go to the school of Keldon on how to finish.

By the way, for comparison: Precious is older than Luka by 3 months. Toppin is older than Luka by a year and a half.

If only there was such a school... But Keldon's finishing is something that, IMO, cannot be truly taught. He's relentless, aggressive, and above all very crafty and smart - those off-the-glass high arching shots, that contact absorption whilst still managing to pull up a decent look, his underrated deceleration on drives which catch the defense off-guard, those are all things that most players never develop, let alone master. There's a reason Timmy's bank shots were so effective and lethal, and a reason no player today goes for them consistently (and it isn't that they're "low percentage shots"). I used to think, before this season, that Keldon was simply a good, natural finisher. I've changed my mind since... Keldon has "it". You can't teach what he's got. But you sure can see it.

Regarding Luka, totally agree that he'd be a top prospect in this draft. People here hate on the pick, I myself am not sure whether he'll ever pull it together, but he's a damn good prospect. That combination of size, speed, vert and skill doesn't grow on trees. I really hope he develops, because he is the perfect prototype of modern big and could seamlessly play with most big men we're projected to draft this season, whether it's Precious or Smith or Onyeka or whomever.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 07:29 PM
Luka's biggest weaknesses are his poor rotations, doesnt set hard screens, and his uncontrolled layups against defenders. Either pass off or don't attempt those layups at all.

Otherwise, we have baby Dirk in our hands.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 07:32 PM
If only there was such a school... But Keldon's finishing is something that, IMO, cannot be truly taught. He's relentless, aggressive, and above all very crafty and smart - those off-the-glass high arching shots, that contact absorption whilst still managing to pull up a decent look, his underrated deceleration on drives which catch the defense off-guard, those are all things that most players never develop, let alone master. There's a reason Timmy's bank shots were so effective and lethal, and a reason no player today goes for them consistently (and it isn't that they're "low percentage shots"). I used to think, before this season, that Keldon was simply a good, natural finisher. I've changed my mind since... Keldon has "it". You can't teach what he's got. But you sure can see it.

Regarding Luka, totally agree that he'd be a top prospect in this draft. People here hate on the pick, I myself am not sure whether he'll ever pull it together, but he's a damn good prospect. That combination of size, speed, vert and skill doesn't grow on trees. I really hope he develops, because he is the perfect prototype of modern big and could seamlessly play with most big men we're projected to draft this season, whether it's Precious or Smith or Onyeka or whomever.

Agreed. I think Samanic would do wonders with a non-strictly interior big. He's always paired up with Eubanks and Poetl out there. Give him Jalen to unclog the middle if he wants to make those layups with no one guarding him.

rankingtear
09-13-2020, 08:04 PM
He's got that MPJ three ball going for him, 6'10 quick, high release, not much dip, close to unguardable. The last bubble game showed he can get it off anytime.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 08:04 PM
https://youtu.be/5XrbKIdbf0o

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 08:07 PM
https://youtu.be/lJn1w85Wp_Q

Squint your eyes and you'll see Luka Samanic

Play Boban
09-13-2020, 08:55 PM
P00p is the dumbest coach

Sugus
09-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Agreed. I think Samanic would do wonders with a non-strictly interior big. He's always paired up with Eubanks and Poetl out there. Give him Jalen to unclog the middle if he wants to make those layups with no one guarding him.

Agreed lol, was thinking about Smith when writing that up. Just a versatile 5 is what Samanic needs - Jakob limits him because he's a 0 offensively and clogs the lane, forcing Sammich to play in the perimeter full-time which he doesn't excel at (yet). But pair him up with a big that can stretch the defense and force the opposing C off the paint, give him room to work his nifty moves and spins and whatnot, and also a legit partner in the PnR (I fully believe the ceiling for Luka is being the ball-handler in a PnR, I'm not saying he'll ever get there, but that's the peak of his potential) who can either roll to the rim, or stay out on the perimeter and be a legit catch-and-shoot threat for him if he needs a bailout. Jalen Smith... Is that guy. Luka could work with Precious too, but until/unless Achiuwa learns how to shoot, it's not a perfect fit or close to it.

It'll be interesting to see, come next season, whether Luka still looks "two years away". His bubble game was impressive progress, and showed he can at least handle rotational bench minutes, and next season the stakes will be a lot lower for the Spurs, which could work in his favor or against him. It all depends on the work he puts on his game and himself.

He's got that MPJ three ball going for him, 6'10 quick, high release, not much dip, close to unguardable. The last bubble game showed he can get it off anytime.

Exactly. Quick shot motion + high release point is just god mode shooting. KD made a career out of shooting over people. When you're that tall/big, there's little things the defense can do to you, other than hope you miss.

MPJ is still a bitch though, fuck that dude. I'd take Luka every day of the week, even with the obvious talent disparity.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 09:45 PM
Agreed lol, was thinking about Smith when writing that up. Just a versatile 5 is what Samanic needs - Jakob limits him because he's a 0 offensively and clogs the lane, forcing Sammich to play in the perimeter full-time which he doesn't excel at (yet). But pair him up with a big that can stretch the defense and force the opposing C off the paint, give him room to work his nifty moves and spins and whatnot, and also a legit partner in the PnR (I fully believe the ceiling for Luka is being the ball-handler in a PnR, I'm not saying he'll ever get there, but that's the peak of his potential) who can either roll to the rim, or stay out on the perimeter and be a legit catch-and-shoot threat for him if he needs a bailout. Jalen Smith... Is that guy. Luka could work with Precious too, but until/unless Achiuwa learns how to shoot, it's not a perfect fit or close to it.

It'll be interesting to see, come next season, whether Luka still looks "two years away". His bubble game was impressive progress, and showed he can at least handle rotational bench minutes, and next season the stakes will be a lot lower for the Spurs, which could work in his favor or against him. It all depends on the work he puts on his game and himself.

Exactly. Quick shot motion + high release point is just god mode shooting. KD made a career out of shooting over people. When you're that tall/big, there's little things the defense can do to you, other than hope you miss.

MPJ is still a bitch though, fuck that dude. I'd take Luka every day of the week, even with the obvious talent disparity.

Fuck yeah. I didn't even think about that. Jalen setting a screen for Luka would be a nightmare for defenses. Jalen is pretty elite at screen setting.

Dreaming about it already... Jalen sets a pick for Luka, Luka drives, passes it back to Jalen for a 3! BAM!

Sugus
09-13-2020, 10:25 PM
Fuck yeah. I didn't even think about that. Jalen setting a screen for Luka would be a nightmare for defenses. Jalen is pretty elite at screen setting.

Dreaming about it already... Jalen sets a pick for Luka, Luka drives, passes it back to Jalen for a 3! BAM!

Exactly. What makes the hypothetical pairing so deadly is that they're both (projected to be) solid shooters that you can't just sag off of like you'd do with a regular C. So any combination of screen-setting between Smith and Luka is bound to be extremely unpredictable - you can't just go full trap on the ballhandler, since it's an easy 3 for Smith, you can't drop down too far since Luka can easily leap over you and finish (and we all know offense is of more consequence nowadays in regards to foul-calling), and you can always switch up between PnR/PnP since Smith is also a superb finisher. The thing that would limit this pairing the most, IMO, would be Luka's BBIQ and defense-reading, which I haven't seen any indicators so far that it's above average (or average for that matter). Of course, he hasn't had his time in the spotlight yet, we'll have to wait and see.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm warming up to the idea of Smith. There just isn't much to dislike about him, and a lot to get excited about. People talk all the time about "modern ball" and prospects that are ahead of the curve in terms of having skillsets that are either coming into heavy demand, or will come into it in the near future; Jalen seems to me like exactly that kind of player. I'd go as far as saying that, given the assumption that he's not a total liability in the big boy club (which I haven't seen indicators that he'll be), I don't see a team in the league that wouldn't want a player like Smith on their roster. Stretch 4 that is strong enough to play the stretch-5, rebounding machine, hustle, energy, defensive instincts, intangibles, and I have to mention his shooting again just because it's so far from the norm for players his size and length. I've watched some good tape on him now and it's always the thing that impresses me the most about, even if there's a quip or two to be worked on his form - what could Jalen do on a team that gives him the green light from deep? Can the Spurs be that team? He certainly looks ready for the part.

But this is a Luka post, isn't it... So I'll say something that isn't minor by any means - Luka and Jalen's skillset fundamentally doesn't overlap. They can both not only coexist on a lineup, but work off each others' strengths, which is something I couldn't really say about, e.g., Achiuwa, even though I also really like him as a prospect. There's a lot of "if's" when you're talking about prospects and first or second-year players, but at least knowing that if both of them hit it, that you won't be struggling to find minutes for both, and you can put their strengths together, is certainly a plus. Especially since I see Samanic sticking on the team for quite a few more years, despite the level of player he turns out to be - no way RC's giving up on his poster boy anytime soon.

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-14-2020, 10:49 AM
People are doing their research and starting to see why some folks are cautiously optimistic about the guy.

like stated by a couple of folks the 2nd half of the development league season he started to get better. Dude had to play harder though in my opinion but he has a ton of talent to work with

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 11:00 AM
People are doing their research and starting to see why some folks are cautiously optimistic about the guy.

like stated by a couple of folks the 2nd half of the development league season he started to get better. Dude had to play harder though in my opinion but he has a ton of talent to work with

To be fair, I watched most of the gleague games to keep an eye on him and never thought he was a lost cause. For some reason, tricking my mind to think he's a 2020 prospect gives me a different point of view of things. It definitely helps in context that he's young and has tools few of the bigs in the draft has.

I wonder who is going to be the next head coach of the Austin Spurs.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 11:05 AM
For comparison:

Dirk came to the NBA as a 20 year old. Essentially, Luka's second year would be Dirk's rookie year.

Dirk averaged 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist during his rookie year (47 total games).

Let's see if Luka can match that this coming season.

Praying someone is telling Luka to try more mid range shots. Most of all he did was 3's and drives during his rookie year.

KobesAchilles
09-14-2020, 11:32 AM
For comparison:

Dirk came to the NBA as a 20 year old. Essentially, Luka's second year would be Dirk's rookie year.

Dirk averaged 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist during his rookie year (47 total games).

Praying someone is telling Luka to try more mid range shots. Most of all he did was 3's and drives during his rookie year.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
A) Pop doesn't really call plays for anyone except for 4 players.
B) He's going to have Sammich out at the 3 point line all day. Only midrange game he will see is if he pump fakes and steps in. But I think that will be neutered out of him and he will look passive bc Pop will bench him for a "bad shot."
C) He should be coming off screens and shooting. I see no reason why we shouldn't have our combo guards set screens on the opposing team's big men which would leave a little guy defending Sammich. Well, other than Pop won't do that.
D) There's "no room" for him. We have Lyles. We have Forbes. We have whatever scrub vet we pick up this offseason. There's just no room to give Sammich any playing time.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath.
A) Pop doesn't really call plays for anyone except for 4 players.
B) He's going to have Sammich out at the 3 point line all day. Only midrange game he will see is if he pump fakes and steps in. But I think that will be neutered out of him and he will look passive bc Pop will bench him for a "bad shot."
C) He should be coming off screens and shooting. I see no reason why we shouldn't have our combo guards set screens on the opposing team's big men which would leave a little guy defending Sammich. Well, other than Pop won't do that.
D) There's "no room" for him. We have Lyles. We have Forbes. We have whatever scrub vet we pick up this offseason. There's just no room to give Sammich any playing time.

We'll see, buddy...

He started to call plays for Keldon in the bubble.

We don't officially have both Lyles and Forbes yet...

I get it, he's going to have to "earn" his time. Everything depends on how much work Samanic puts in during this offseason.

I hope the young guys' mini-camp lasts a long time. They need to influence each other to work hard.

RC_Drunkford
09-14-2020, 03:22 PM
By now most of y'all should know to never doubt a Balkan player. They are different type of athletes and have a huge sports culture. He will develop into a good player, I don't have any doubts. He's just too young at the moment

TD 21
09-14-2020, 03:43 PM
For comparison:

He's clearly headed for another season primarily spent in the G-League. Presuming DeRozan/Gay are retained, Lyles and them will eat the "PF" minutes.

He shouldn't be shooting mid rangers. Only primary ball handlers need it in their arsenal because they need to be 3 level scorers to deal with various p-n-r defensive coverages.

His success or lack there of is going to be largely tied to his 3-point shooting. If it becomes good/voluminous enough that opposing defenses respect it, then his athleticism/ball skills will come into play.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 03:49 PM
He's clearly headed for another season primarily spent in the G-League. Presuming DeRozan/Gay are retained, Lyles and them will eat the "PF" minutes.

He shouldn't be shooting mid rangers. Only primary ball handlers need it in their arsenal because they need to be 3 level scorers to deal with various p-n-r defensive coverages.

His success or lack there of is going to be largely tied to his 3-point shooting. If it becomes good/voluminous enough that opposing defenses respect it, then his athleticism/ball skills will come into play.

God, today's league is so boring.

By the way, I'm not saying he should eliminate 3s from his game and replace it with mid range. Im saying he could use the mid range shot on post ups instead of driving it in all the time since he's below average there. I don't disagree his 3s will open things up for him.

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 04:20 PM
One interesting statistical glitch from last year is that Keldon Johnson actually had significantly better advanced stats in the NBA than he did in the G League. Granted, the sample size for the NBA was relatively small, about a dozen games with real minutes, but it's still something that stood out to me. KJ's raw numbers were better than his advanced stats in the G League.

Luka's raw numbers in the G League are pretty encouraging too, while his advanced stats were some of the worst on the Austin team. We'll see if he can follow in KJ's footsteps.

TD 21
09-14-2020, 04:21 PM
God, today's league is so boring.

By the way, I'm not saying he should eliminate 3s from his game and replace it with mid range. Im saying he could use the mid range shot on post ups instead of driving it in all the time since he's below average there.

Mid rangers on post ups = turnaround jumpers. This works for Aldridge because he's overpowering and long armed, with a high release, so he creates separation and is on balance. Samanic is none of those things, so it'd probably result in some off balance, flinging Siakam-esque crap.

His driving and 3 go hand in hand because the latter sets up the former. He's not going to ISO and beat someone in space from a standstill. His game is going to primarily have to be a spacer, who dusts closeouts and provides secondary play making.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Mid rangers on post ups = turnaround jumpers. This works for Aldridge because he's overpowering and long armed, with a high release, so he creates separation and is on balance. Samanic is none of those things, so it'd probably result in some off balance, flinging Siakam-esque crap.

His driving and 3 go hand in hand because the latter sets up the former. He's not going to ISO and beat someone in space from a standstill. His game is going to primarily have to be a spacer, who dusts closeouts and provides secondary play making.

Fair enough. Although how does having a long arm help with separation?

I think Luka has a high release. Maybe the strength can come in time.

I take back the mid range shots needing to be on post ups, it can be however, including face ups and dribble crossovers or spin move and fadeaway. He already has the spin move down.

TD 21
09-14-2020, 05:10 PM
Fair enough. Although how does having a long arm help with separation?

I think Luka has a high release. Maybe the strength can come in time.

I take back the mid range shots needing to be on post ups, it can be however, including face ups and dribble crossovers or spin move and fadeaway. He already has the spin move down.

I didn't mean it like that. I mean, once he's created the separation by knocking the defender back some and simultaneously regathers while fading to balance himself before the contest, his length and high release make it virtually impossible to alter his shot.

But a lot of those types are that of a primary ball handler, who are tasked with breaking down the defense. He'll be tasked with either making the spot up 3s they create or, if he's ran off, makings plays against a rotating defense. Those plays should end in one of 3 ways: him finishing at the rim, dropping it off to the center in the dunker spot for the finish at the rim or if neither is available, driving and kicking to whoever is open for 3.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 05:15 PM
I didn't mean it like that. I mean, once he's created the separation by knocking the defender back some and simultaneously regathers while fading to balance himself before the contest, his length and high release make it virtually impossible to alter his shot.

But a lot of those types are that of a primary ball handler, who are tasked with breaking down the defense. He'll be tasked with either making the spot up 3s they create or, if he's ran off, makings plays against a rotating defense. Those plays should end in one of 3 ways: him finishing at the rim, dropping it off to the center in the dunker spot for the finish at the rim or if neither is available, driving and kicking to whoever is open for 3.

I get where you're coming from. I think maybe where my point is if he ever reaches a level where he's the focal point of the offense or one of the top scorers on the team and maybe I'm blowing my load by looking 10 steps ahead when he hasn't reached role player level yet (after which he's taken that step, THEN we can look at how he can expand his game as I noted with the midrange shot)

Chinook
09-14-2020, 08:21 PM

I'm not as confident in that projection as you are. Yes, Lyles might provide too big of a barrier for Sam to pass up, but there's no guarantee Trey will even be on the team next year. Even if he is and even if he remains the starter and Gay the backup four, it wouldn't surprise me to see Pop play Sam in that flex 11th spot he did with Walker/Beli. I think Luka is a four, but I have little doubt that the Spurs will try to get away with playing him at the three, and against bench players that may not work out so poorly. Also, trading away Murray, Mills or White would also open up some room in the rotation for another forward, and I think Pop could try to fill that with Sam. I also see Gay playing the five with some frequency next season, and that opens up room for another forward.

Basically, he needs to shoot well enough to space the floor. If he can, he'll probably get minutes at multiple positions because it pretty much doesn't matter who's spotting up off the bench. Might he still play in the d-league? Sure, but like Walker this past year, he doesn't have to.

BackHome
09-15-2020, 08:47 AM
Poop just can’t be a jerk and Every time he makes a simple mistake yank his ass or embarrass him by yelling at him in front of the whole team. Some players need tough love and some need a helping hand I think Luka is both and how Pop handles him will have a huge impact on how he develops and plays for us.

Dejounte
09-15-2020, 08:53 AM
Poop just can’t be a jerk and Every time he makes a simple mistake yank his ass or embarrass him by yelling at him in front of the whole team. Some players need tough love and some need a helping hand I think Luka is both and how Pop handles him will have a huge impact on how he develops and plays for us.

You can bet Samanic moving from the third row of the bench in the bubble to the front AND Patty Mills sitting right next to him is Pop's doing.

ZeusWillJudge
09-15-2020, 09:07 AM

Over two decades of coaching, he's proven that he can.

ZeusWillJudge
09-15-2020, 09:11 AM
You can bet Samanic moving from the third row of the bench in the bubble to the front AND Patty Mills sitting right next to him is Pop's doing.

It could just mean that they are planning on moving Patty, and they need someone to wave a towel. I wonder how Luka would look in dredz?

Nah, I think you're right. After they picked Sammich where they did, with all that high expectation, they can't put him in Austin next year. So now they have to bring him forward. There's a lot riding on this season for him.

KobesAchilles
09-15-2020, 12:30 PM

I mean there are other ways he can work on his midrange. He can pump fake, take a step or 2 in and take that jumper. He can come off screens at the elbow and rise up for a shot. It doesn't all have to be fall away jumpers like LMA.

TD 21
09-15-2020, 02:55 PM
I'm not as confident in that projection as you are. Yes, Lyles might provide too big of a barrier for Sam to pass up, but there's no guarantee Trey will even be on the team next year. Even if he is and even if he remains the starter and Gay the backup four, it wouldn't surprise me to see Pop play Sam in that flex 11th spot he did with Walker/Beli. I think Luka is a four, but I have little doubt that the Spurs will try to get away with playing him at the three, and against bench players that may not work out so poorly. Also, trading away Murray, Mills or White would also open up some room in the rotation for another forward, and I think Pop could try to fill that with Sam. I also see Gay playing the five with some frequency next season, and that opens up room for another forward.

Basically, he needs to shoot well enough to space the floor. If he can, he'll probably get minutes at multiple positions because it pretty much doesn't matter who's spotting up off the bench. Might he still play in the d-league? Sure, but like Walker this past year, he doesn't have to.

The only way Lyles might not be on the team next season, is if they trade DeRozan and get a starting caliber "PF" back. Even then, I doubt it. He's relatively cheap/young, fills a positional need and Pop is a big fan.

The 11th pick is more likely to be the 11th man than Samanic. There's also the possibility of their bringing Forbes back, which would relegate one of him, Johnson or Walker to it.

Samanic is strictly a "PF". Depending on the construction of the deep bench, sure he might play some garbage time "SF", but that's just for practical purposes.

I mean there are other ways he can work on his midrange. He can pump fake, take a step or 2 in and take that jumper. He can come off screens at the elbow and rise up for a shot. It doesn't all have to be fall away jumpers like LMA.

That first shot is a dying breed (replaced by the sidestep 3), as is the second one (pin downs and single doubles are more likely to results in 3s) and generally reserved for elite shooters.

KobesAchilles
09-15-2020, 03:03 PM
The only way Lyles might not be on the team next season, is if they trade DeRozan and get a starting caliber "PF" back. Even then, I doubt it. He's relatively cheap/young, fills a positional need and Pop is a big fan.

The 11th pick is more likely to be the 11th man than Samanic. There's also the possibility of their bringing Forbes back, which would relegate one of him, Johnson or Walker to it.

Samanic is strictly a "PF". Depending on the construction of the deep bench, sure he might play some garbage time "SF", but that's just for practical purposes.

That first shot is a dying breed (replaced by the sidestep 3), as is the second one (pin downs and single doubles are more likely to results in 3s) and generally reserved for elite shooters.
I know they are a dying breed, but I still feel like this is how he should be used going forward. If all players do is stand around at the 3 point line then that stalls your offense and makes you predictable. Adding this small layer to Sammich game will help us moving forward. He's 6'10 and can shoot. Those are the types of plays you should run for players like him

Chinook
09-15-2020, 03:24 PM

I think Lyles will be on the team, but the Spurs are also in a position where they could need clearance under the tax. There are three main ways to get that clearance, and waiving Trey is the most palatable (other ways being RJing DeRozan and letting Poeltl walk). If the Spurs draft any PF, the position becomes crowded with Gay, Sam and Lyles all on the team, and that ignores DMDR and even KJ getting minutes there. I think the team feels confident that Lyles gives them an okay floor, but I doubt they see him as a long-term piece.

I don't necessarily agree. There are a couple of guys like Neismith who might immediately compete for minutes, but I agree with some other posters here who think Sam is ahead of most draft picks. I want the Spurs to draft someone and make rotational minutes for them. But I also recognize that there are some guys who might not necessarily have a place on the current squad without some restructuring of the roster. Guys like Precious, Poke and Williams for example aren't nearly as equipped to be bit role-players like Sam could be if he gets that shot down this summer. There's more upside to putting them in the d-league than there would be for Luka.

I know you're way more inclined to cleave to positional absolutes than I am, but I don't disagree that he seems more like a four than anything else. I do think, however, that Pop put very little stock into those designations. People talk about him always playing small, but it was just last year (2018-2019) that he tried to start the season with DJM/DMDR/Gay/Aldridge/Gasol as a unit. I don't think he'd shy away from Samanic/Gay as forwards at all. I don't think it'd be a great long-term thing, but it definitely feels like a worthwhile gamble and a way to add length to a second unit that has to compensate for Mills and Gay. Mills/Murray/Sam/Gay/Poeltl is an interesting unit if Sam can shoot well enough to space the floor. Foot speed would be the most obvious issue, but the size might really help. It's not an everyday unit, but it would work against some teams

And if Poeltl walks, then I think you'd see a whole lot of Mills/Murray/Walker-Johnson/Sam/Gay lineups rather than running with Eubanks or the min center the team replaces Jakob with. Or if Lyles slides down and over, the starting PF job is back to being open again.

TD 21
09-15-2020, 05:04 PM
I know they are a dying breed, but I still feel like this is how he should be used going forward. If all players do is stand around at the 3 point line then that stalls your offense and makes you predictable. Adding this small layer to Sammich game will help us moving forward. He's 6'10 and can shoot. Those are the types of plays you should run for players like him

You definitely need diversity in your offense, but that shouldn't be confused with wanting a role player to take low percentage shots.

His role should be streamlined to what I mentioned plus possibly posting switches.

I think Lyles will be on the team, but the Spurs are also in a position where they could need clearance under the tax. There are three main ways to get that clearance, and waiving Trey is the most palatable (other ways being RJing DeRozan and letting Poeltl walk). If the Spurs draft any PF, the position becomes crowded with Gay, Sam and Lyles all on the team, and that ignores DMDR and even KJ getting minutes there. I think the team feels confident that Lyles gives them an okay floor, but I doubt they see him as a long-term piece.

I don't necessarily agree. There are a couple of guys like Neismith who might immediately compete for minutes, but I agree with some other posters here who think Sam is ahead of most draft picks. I want the Spurs to draft someone and make rotational minutes for them. But I also recognize that there are some guys who might not necessarily have a place on the current squad without some restructuring of the roster. Guys like Precious, Poke and Williams for example aren't nearly as equipped to be bit role-players like Sam could be if he gets that shot down this summer. There's more upside to putting them in the d-league than there would be for Luka.

I know you're way more inclined to cleave to positional absolutes than I am, but I don't disagree that he seems more like a four than anything else. I do think, however, that Pop put very little stock into those designations. People talk about him always playing small, but it was just last year (2018-2019) that he tried to start the season with DJM/DMDR/Gay/Aldridge/Gasol as a unit. I don't think he'd shy away from Samanic/Gay as forwards at all. I don't think it'd be a great long-term thing, but it definitely feels like a worthwhile gamble and a way to add length to a second unit that has to compensate for Mills and Gay. Mills/Murray/Sam/Gay/Poeltl is an interesting unit if Sam can shoot well enough to space the floor. Foot speed would be the most obvious issue, but the size might really help. It's not an everyday unit, but it would work against some teams

And if Poeltl walks, then I think you'd see a whole lot of Mills/Murray/Walker-Johnson/Sam/Gay lineups rather than running with Eubanks or the min center the team replaces Jakob with. Or if Lyles slides down and over, the starting PF job is back to being open again.

Can't see Lyles being a cap casualty. Poeltl might (foolishly) be. Can't imagine Lyles being a long term piece either, but even if they draft a four at 11, they're not usurping him or Gay next season.

Depends on which direction you think they'll go. I believe, if the top 10 more or less play out to projection, they're more likely to pick someone ready or close to being able to contribute. Could obviously easily be wrong though.

With certain players, Pop may not put much stock into designations. This guy has the makings of strictly a one position player though. You're suggesting he beats out both Johnson and Walker? I can't see it.

If they inexplicably lose Poeltl, I'm sure they'll sign some rotation caliber backup for cheap (Hernangomez?), but yeah we'd probably see more micro ball to compensate and just flat play the best talent.

spurraider21
09-15-2020, 05:25 PM
tired of drafting guys who "might contribute in 3 years"... get guys who can play now. it's not like pro-ready players are also simultaneously immune from development.

its one thing to waste a pick on a guy who ends up a bust or injured, its another thing altogether to waste a pick on a guy like milutinov

TimDunkem
09-15-2020, 05:32 PM
tired of drafting guys who "might contribute in 3 years"... get guys who can play now. it's not like pro-ready players are also simultaneously immune from development.

its one thing to waste a pick on a guy who ends up a bust or injured, its another thing altogether to waste a pick on a guy like milutinov
They just can't help themselves if the guy is a Euro unless it's a fathead. Otherwise they go with guys like Fathead over Jokic.

Chinook
09-15-2020, 07:33 PM
Can't see Lyles being a cap casualty. Poeltl might (foolishly) be. Can't imagine Lyles being a long term piece either, but even if they draft a four at 11, they're not usurping him or Gay next season.

I agree with objective (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=4663) that Lyles is basically a gate-keeper for a young PF. Pop probably knows and is comfortable with what Lyles brings, but it's not to the point where he can't be unseated. We could easily see a situation like Walker/Beli were Pop keeps giving the young PF chances to unseat the vet but always keeps one foot in the vet's corner ready to switch back at a moment's notice.

Depends on which direction you think they'll go. I believe, if the top 10 more or less play out to projection, they're more likely to pick someone ready or close to being able to contribute. Could obviously easily be wrong though.

I really think there will be some type of trade that could affect where the Spurs are drafting. My gut tells me that at least one of Gay/DeRozan/Lyles will be gone next season, leaving room for Sam or a drafted PF. But just as with you, I could definitely be wrong.

With certain players, Pop may not put much stock into designations. This guy has the makings of strictly a one position player though. You're suggesting he beats out both Johnson and Walker? I can't see it.

I'm suggesting this rotation:

White, Johnson/Walker, DeRozan, Lyles, Aldridge
Mills, Murray, Walker/Johnson, Gay, Poeltl

Then Sam would be the 11th man who gets minutes from all three front-court positions (with the loser of Walker/Johnson getting some minutes from Murray and Mills). I don't know if Pop feels like Sam can play the three (though remember he said he thought Metu could, so it's possible). I do think he will consider playing Sam and Gay as the forwards without specific thought to who is playing what and see if it works. Sure, that's two PFs, but Pop routinely played two centers together back when he had three rotation-caliber guys.

Chinook
09-15-2020, 07:44 PM

Capillaries in my eyes burst every time I think of the 2015 draft. I've never been more upset about the Spurs in my life as I was when they wasted their pick on Milutinov.

I'm a bit more neutral on getting raw player though. I straight up don't believe in the idea of players being X years away. It's not a thing. Players that make it should be able to do SOMETHING their rookie years. Giannis was a net-negative player as a rookie, but he still averaged almost a double-double per 36. He wasn't ghastly like Cabocolo was. Siakam was a good defender at jumpstreet. Jokic came into the league as a big net-positive. So I'm a firm believer that if Poke, Precious, Williams or any other raw player is going to become a star that they'll be good enough to make the rotation straight out of the lower levels. The d-league makes sense when you have a really talented squad and can't afford to have a guy grow on the job. It doesn't make sense to pencil in Austin time when there are so many soft spots on the roster.

itzsoweezee
09-15-2020, 07:48 PM
Just want to reiterate that Luka Sandwich will never be as good as Brandon Clarke. Never ever ever ever :rollin

Atl Spur
09-15-2020, 10:21 PM
Just want to reiterate that Luka Sandwich will never be as good as Brandon Clarke. Never ever ever ever :rollin

I’ll take that bet homie......how much??

exstatic
09-16-2020, 06:57 AM
Capillaries in my eyes burst every time I think of the 2015 draft. I've never been more upset about the Spurs in my life as I was when they wasted their pick on Milutinov.

I'm a bit more neutral on getting raw player though. I straight up don't believe in the idea of players being X years away. It's not a thing. Players that make it should be able to do SOMETHING their rookie years. Giannis was a net-negative player as a rookie, but he still averaged almost a double-double per 36. He wasn't ghastly like Cabocolo was. Siakam was a good defender at jumpstreet. Jokic came into the league as a big net-positive. So I'm a firm believer that if Poke, Precious, Williams or any other raw player is going to become a star that they'll be good enough to make the rotation straight out of the lower levels. The d-league makes sense when you have a really talented squad and can't afford to have a guy grow on the job. It doesn't make sense to pencil in Austin time when there are so many soft spots on the roster.

Jokic spent a year in Europe. That’s sort of Austinish.

Giannis WAS, in fact, two years away, whether you like it or not. Almost a double double per 36. CROFL.

offset formation
09-16-2020, 08:11 AM
I agree with objective (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=4663) that Lyles is basically a gate-keeper for a young PF. Pop probably knows and is comfortable with what Lyles brings, but it's not to the point where he can't be unseated. We could easily see a situation like Walker/Beli were Pop keeps giving the young PF chances to unseat the vet but always keeps one foot in the vet's corner ready to switch back at a moment's notice.

I really think there will be some type of trade that could affect where the Spurs are drafting. My gut tells me that at least one of Gay/DeRozan/Lyles will be gone next season, leaving room for Sam or a drafted PF. But just as with you, I could definitely be wrong.

Then Sam would be the 11th man who gets minutes from all three front-court positions (with the loser of Walker/Johnson getting some minutes from Murray and Mills). I don't know if Pop feels like Sam can play the three (though remember he said he thought Metu could, so it's possible). I do think he will consider playing Sam and Gay as the forwards without specific thought to who is playing what and see if it works. Sure, that's two PFs, but Pop routinely played two centers together back when he had three rotation-caliber guys.

To me Lyles is the crucial piece next season. We will see how much better he gets in a second year in the Spurs system as well as how much better he can be on the defensive end with better perimeter defenders (hopefully), and then offensively what amount of more open 3s he gets with the kind of drive and kick faced paced game we saw in the bubble.

RC_Drunkford
09-16-2020, 10:28 AM
To me Lyles is the crucial piece next season. We will see how much better he gets in a second year in the Spurs system as well as how much better he can be on the defensive end with better perimeter defenders (hopefully), and then offensively what amount of more open 3s he gets with the kind of drive and kick faced paced game we saw in the bubble.

on the Hornets?

offset formation
09-16-2020, 10:38 AM
on the Hornets?

Huh?

Seventyniner
09-16-2020, 10:41 AM

Lyles is young enough that there's a chance he could make a mini-leap next season and become a low-end starting-caliber PF.

I don't think it's particularly likely but he knows the system, is only owed $5.5M next season if the Spurs keep him, and doesn't affect the Spurs' ability to sign a FA unless they start bumping up against the tax. As of right now I hope the Spurs keep him around.

offset formation
09-16-2020, 10:42 AM
Lyles is young enough that there's a chance he could make a mini-leap next season and become a low-end starting-caliber PF.

I don't think it's particularly likely but he knows the system, is only owed $5.5M next season if the Spurs keep him, and doesn't affect the Spurs' ability to sign a FA unless they start bumping up against the tax. As of right now I hope the Spurs keep him around.

Exactly my position.

Chinook
09-16-2020, 11:55 AM
Jokic spent a year in Europe. That’s sort of Austinish.

Giannis WAS, in fact, two years away, whether you like it or not. Almost a double double per 36. CROFL.

Giannis played 24 MPG as a rookie. It's not like he had a couple of garbage-time stints in a d-league season. It's crazy that you think it's funny, or that a guy being an NBA player as a rookie is what "two years away" means.

Chinook
09-16-2020, 11:58 AM

He's definitely not a crucial piece. Like you can't have 10 crucial pieces on a lottery team, and Lyles is well behind at least DMDR, LMA, Gay and White, with guys like Poeltl, Johnson, Murray and Walker being on the same tier. Sure, he can play somewhat better, and I hope he does. But that's true over every player on the team. Whether it's by him playing better or by the team getting a better player, Trey's performance on the team is definitely open for an upgrade.

RC_Drunkford
09-16-2020, 12:04 PM
Huh?

he's not crucial. Murray, Keldon and Walker are the crucial pieces who can raise this teams ceiling. A lot will come down to them improving their game. Lyles shouldn't even be here, unless we trade Rudy.

BackHome
09-16-2020, 12:21 PM
Rudy is done he had a good game in the bubble but his body can not hold up to a whole season. But I don’t see the Spurs moving him which is retarded if they don’t even try would like to give him a chance to ring he is a good guy. I see Lyles as a decent backup they have for one more year to see what he can offer in his second year but make no mistake he is not a starting PF.

offset formation
09-16-2020, 01:30 PM
He's definitely not a crucial piece. Like you can't have 10 crucial pieces on a lottery team, and Lyles is well behind at least DMDR, LMA, Gay and White, with guys like Poeltl, Johnson, Murray and Walker being on the same tier. Sure, he can play somewhat better, and I hope he does. But that's true over every player on the team. Whether it's by him playing better or by the team getting a better player, Trey's performance on the team is definitely open for an upgrade.

I meant his position, not him so much. I then went onto elaborate as to why I hoped he could make some strides into becoming a more well rounded player.

A Lyles that balls out changes the complexion of this team completely.

ace3g
09-16-2020, 03:06 PM
https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/119223205_2734086130193153_3195760086730027589_n.j pg?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=pW1Q8yEyxDIAX-6ps0w&oh=b448d764e7a785c6259be3553743918f&oe=5F64EE9D

https://scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/118766076_153489799723830_3501671639379300892_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=5SECrutE-foAX-FDa_b&oh=baf6b932c174e69ab66aca8e588184d6&oe=5F64C12C

exstatic
09-16-2020, 03:16 PM
Giannis played 24 MPG as a rookie. It's not like he had a couple of garbage-time stints in a d-league season. It's crazy that you think it's funny, or that a guy being an NBA player as a rookie is what "two years away" means.

I was more laughing at your contorting yourself around ‘almost a double double per 36’. That doesn’t really mean a lot when your actuals are 6.8/4.4 on a terrible team. You can be playing NBA minutes, and still be two years away.

Chinook
09-16-2020, 05:07 PM
I was more laughing at your contorting yourself around ‘almost a double double per 36’. That doesn’t really mean a lot when your actuals are 6.8/4.4 on a terrible team. You can be playing NBA minutes, and still be two years away.

You can't be playing NBA minutes and be two years away from being an NBA player. Guys who get that distinction aren't role-players who just aren't stars yet. No one's talking about Jaxson Hayes as being two years away. No one says that about Mo Bamba. They say it about guys like Edy Tavares who've gone most of their lives without touching a basketball.

As far as the "almost double-double", I think I misread the rebounds. I didn't think it was like 10/7. Thought it was more like 10 and 9. Think my eyes saw the per-100 rebounding stat.

The Truth #6
09-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Trying to guess the roles of our young big men next year is hard for me to consider knowing that LMA is still on the team.

TD 21
09-16-2020, 07:18 PM

Sure, but Samanic more than likely either isn't ready or even if he is, will be blocked anyway next season. Lyles was signed to be bridge to when Samanic hopefully becomes a rotation player. Pop went out of his way multiple times to compliment Lyles, which is obviously unusual for him.

Maybe, but whether they trade up or not, I don't see them selecting a four.

With the exception of Murray not starting, that's probably the odds on favorite for the rotation. I don't remember the Metu comment but if he really said that, then it's just another indication of how checked out/senile he's become. Who knows, maybe Samanic makes a quantum leap and forces their hand the way Johnson appears to be doing . . . I just don't see it.

poopbox
09-16-2020, 07:26 PM
I don't understand this whole "the spurs might want to get under the tax" thing people run with because after this season over half of the teams payroll is gone between LMA, DDR, Mills, and Rudy. The spurs are not going to be paying the repeater tax this year. It just doesn't make any sense to make a bunch of moves to do cap gymnastics so you can avoid the tax this year when you will have plenty of ways to NOT be in the tax next year if you choose to

exstatic
09-16-2020, 07:31 PM
I don't understand this whole "the spurs might want to get under the tax" thing people run with because after this season over half of the teams payroll is gone between LMA, DDR, Mills, and Rudy. The spurs are not going to be paying the repeater tax this year. It just doesn't make any sense to make a bunch of moves to do cap gymnastics so you can avoid the tax this year when you will have plenty of ways to NOT be in the tax next year if you choose to
Small market team. Not a playoff team. We’re not owned by Cuban. The managing partners are the Holts, who sell and lease heavy equipment.

poopbox
09-16-2020, 09:42 PM
Small market team. Not a playoff team. We’re not owned by Cuban. The managing partners are the Holts, who sell and lease heavy equipment.

I can't think of one season since the Holt's took over that they have operated as a we have to be under the cap by any means necessary team...

rankingtear
09-16-2020, 10:30 PM
7. SAN ANTONIO SPURS: SIX TIMESAmong teams in the top half of this list, the Spurs have the second-lowest total amount of luxury tax paid at $17.5 million. Even so, they have won two titles in the six years they paid the tax. Talk about efficient.
Total amount: $17.5 million
Record in tax seasons: 348-128 (73.1 percent)
Playoffs in tax seasons: Six appearances, two championships, 13 series won

exstatic
09-16-2020, 10:48 PM
I can't think of one season since the Holt's took over that they have operated as a we have to be under the cap by any means necessary team...

Not the cap...THE TAX. we’re already more than $10M over the cap, with transactions still needed to fill the roster and no Poodle yet. The Holts have been willing to pay the tax to compete, because they could recoup some of the bill via playoff games. Those generate $1-2M per game. I wouldn’t count on that going forward.

talkspurs
09-16-2020, 10:52 PM
There also could be a lot of teams over the tax this year (depending on where it is). How I understand it the tax paid is split between the non tax paying teams. So it is not only the tax that is paid but the lost revenue from getting the tax return.

Seventyniner
09-17-2020, 08:32 AM
There also could be a lot of teams over the tax this year (depending on where it is). How I understand it the tax paid is split between the non tax paying teams. So it is not only the tax that is paid but the lost revenue from getting the tax return.

Yes, this is my understanding too. Going from $1 under the tax to $1 over it is a huge deal. Even more so if there are more tax-paying teams than normal.

poopbox
09-17-2020, 02:13 PM
Not the cap...THE TAX. we’re already more than $10M over the cap, with transactions still needed to fill the roster and no Poodle yet. The Holts have been willing to pay the tax to compete, because they could recoup some of the bill via playoff games. Those generate $1-2M per game. I wouldn’t count on that going forward.

I don't think paying the tax for this year is that big of a deal

Chinook
09-17-2020, 02:28 PM

It is.

Obi Juan Kenobi
09-17-2020, 02:39 PM
Its similar to where if you just made a bit too much money last year and sneak into the next federal tax bracket level, now not only do you not get a refund but you gotta pay Uncle Sam as well.

exstatic
09-17-2020, 03:07 PM

Since you’re not paying it. This isn’t fantasy bball.

DAF86
09-17-2020, 03:11 PM

Of course you would think so, you don't have to pay it. :lol

DAF86
09-17-2020, 03:14 PM
In fact if there's a year to not pay the tax it is this one. You know, with this whole COVID thing and the Spurs missing the playoffs for the first time in forever.

Chinook
09-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Its similar to where if you just made a bit too much money last year and sneak into the next federal tax bracket level, now not only do you not get a refund but you gotta pay Uncle Sam as well.

That's not really how progressive tax works in the US. It's possible that you could miss out on a credit or something by making too much, but when talking about straight taxes, no. The brackets are nested, so you only pay the higher rate on the overage from the lower rates. Say you're $50 under a threshold and have a chance to make an extra $100, putting you $50 over. Maybe you go from a small refund to a small payment for that (which of course is actually based on your withholding and not on the rate itself), but it's very much less than the $100 extra you made. There's no incentive in the US to make less money for the most part. That isn't and certainly wasn't always true in other nations. The UK famously did have a time where the tax worked like you suggested and people at the fringe would make less money to stay out of the higher bracket because they'd lose more than they'd earn.

Chinook
09-17-2020, 03:33 PM
In fact if there's a year to not pay the tax it is this one. You know, with this whole COVID thing and the Spurs missing the playoffs for the first time in forever.

Not just that, but SO many teams are locked into a ton of salary that the tax payments should be pretty good this year (more money, bigger pie). Also the more financial flexibility the team has, the more aggressive they could be in taking advantage of clubs in worse financial situations. Even if they end up going over the tax later, they can choose to do so from being fairly compensated rather than doing so to keep together mediocre role-players.

objective
09-17-2020, 03:34 PM
The other reason this covid thing is hard to pay the tax with is that the ABA teams still pay the St Louis franchisers. I know there was an announcement of a buyout on the deal, but never heard if it really was consummated.

Before, the ABA teams paid what, 25% of their national TV money cut to them? That left the ABA teams more dependent on gate revenues that they haven't been getting.

Even if the buyout deal was confirmed, it's probably costing then many millions a year just to pay that off with no gate money to help.

That's why I think things could get bad enough that they don't even keep Lyles. And hopefully a good reason to not bring Forbes back.

Seventyniner
09-17-2020, 03:41 PM
There is zero reason for the Spurs to even consider paying the tax. If it somehow made them legit title contenders then maybe, but that's not on the table.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-17-2020, 03:59 PM
The other reason this covid thing is hard to pay the tax with is that the ABA teams still pay the St Louis franchisers. I know there was an announcement of a buyout on the deal, but never heard if it really was consummated.

Before, the ABA teams paid what, 25% of their national TV money cut to them? That left the ABA teams more dependent on gate revenues that they haven't been getting.

Even if the buyout deal was confirmed, it's probably costing then many millions a year just to pay that off with no gate money to help.

That's why I think things could get bad enough that they don't even keep Lyles. And hopefully a good reason to not bring Forbes back.

Interesting. Oh, to be a St. Louis franchiser. Free money is nice.

Dejounte
09-17-2020, 04:44 PM
CFQMY1gH13X

Looks like the mini-camp has started....

Luka looking beefy.

Dejounte
09-17-2020, 05:14 PM
Luka responded to Galen Robinson in the comments, "locked in" with "nightly".

Let's get it, boy!

exstatic
09-17-2020, 05:51 PM

1/7 of the TV revenue. It’s estimated that when the partial settlement of $500M was received in 2014, the Silna brothers had already collected $300M for the corpse of their ABA franchise. That settlement gives the 4 surviving ABA teams majority ownership of the Sprits, effectively cutting their payment in half, and they have the option to buy out the rest of the Spirits franchise in the future.

Sugus
09-17-2020, 06:01 PM
CFQMY1gH13X

Looks like the mini-camp has started....

Luka looking beefy.

Damn, talk about bulking up. One thing you can say about our current group of youngins is that they all look like hard workers and trying to develop their bodies - Luka, Keldon, Lonnie are all visibly buffier now than they were at the start of the season. Hopefully it translates to the court... But it's a great sign, especially for someone like Luka, who really needs the strength.

Dare I say... League fucked?

offset formation
09-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Damn, talk about bulking up. One thing you can say about our current group of youngins is that they all look like hard workers and trying to develop their bodies - Luka, Keldon, Lonnie are all visibly buffier now than they were at the start of the season. Hopefully it translates to the court... But it's a great sign, especially for someone like Luka, who really needs the strength.

Dare I say... League fucked?

Next step for Luka is developing that killer instinct. If he ever gets it, watchout.

Want to see this dude diving to the rim with no respect for human life. If he starts doing that, it should really open things up for him.

Sugus
09-17-2020, 11:00 PM
Next step for Luka is developing that killer instinct. If he ever gets it, watchout.

Want to see this dude diving to the rim with no respect for human life. If he starts doing that, it should really open things up for him.

It's all about effort with him - it's always been his question mark, probably still is. If he can look like he gives a shit for the entire game, on both ends of the court, he'll be a great piece for the Spurs. If he doesn't... I'd rather we find out sooner than later, so the Spurs can start planning around their long-term PF situation. From the little we've seen, and how he's visibly bulked up, I'm cautiously optimistic. Next season hopefully will make things clear.

Dejounte
09-17-2020, 11:11 PM
Lyles could really just have been a placeholder for Luka and for the other Spurs players to get to know how to play on the court with that archetype.

Sugus
09-18-2020, 12:24 AM
https://i.imgur.com/dylcRUd.gif

ace3g
09-18-2020, 12:57 AM
https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/119585364_331590621485552_5879920978440129545_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=qKUIudb5iKUAX8nxvSY&oh=3e2b64cb968327cabe540f76e81d2e0c&oe=5F669DE7

BackHome
09-18-2020, 08:00 AM
Him and Keldon seemed to hit off as they where drafted together and played together in G League. Hopefully both can push each other to be the best players they can possibly be - Just remember Luka is a young big and we all new it would probably take 2 or 3 years for him to be ready as he was so young.

I am very optimistic that we will see a lot of improvements the next season and I truly think him and Keldon offer is some good building blocks for the future.

Seventyniner
09-18-2020, 09:38 AM
Him and Keldon seemed to hit off as they where drafted together and played together in G League. Hopefully both can push each other to be the best players they can possibly be - Just remember Luka is a young big and we all new it would probably take 2 or 3 years for him to be ready as he was so young.

I am very optimistic that we will see a lot of improvements the next season and I truly think him and Keldon offer is some good building blocks for the future.

Keldon and Luka developing that Tobi and Bobi chemistry would be awesome. Samanic's body and game are much better suited to the league than Boban's too.

rjv
09-18-2020, 11:30 AM
don't know when that photo is from but he looks stronger. that was on area that keldon clearly already came into the league way ahead of luka on.

Sugus
09-18-2020, 03:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dylcRUd.gif

Yo timvp how did you fix that? What was I doing wrong? I'm dipping my toes on gif-making and for the life of me couldn't get that to show on the post, only a blank. What's the magic spell?

E: Nevermind, I had to link the GIF itself, and not the Imgur post of the GIF. Silly me. Get ready for some bomb ass GIF's, y'all...

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-21-2020, 06:12 PM
Hopefully we can get more photos and video of the young guys working out during the break.

Luka has to work on getting stronger and his motor, When it comes to his physical stuff.

As far as his actual game, he needs to start knocking those 3 pointers down more consistently and learning how to finish (just like Lonnie Walker needs to do) through contact like Keldon Johnson

buttsR4rebounding
09-21-2020, 06:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2UZ3BPo.jpg

Lets get it straight, the "Noise" is a result of Keldon putting in work and no evidence of Luka doing the same so he starts to put in work....

LEADERSHIP!!!!!
The Air Alamo article that used this photo also said he was in a growth spurt and was now pushing 7 feet tall. He is going to be a match up nightmare.

DAF86
09-21-2020, 07:02 PM
What a nice surprise it would be if this guy becomes a rotation player next season.

BackHome
09-21-2020, 07:59 PM
Just watched a vid from when he was 15 years old now I know why the Spurs had been watching him for awhile. He was really good but man was he so skinny it's like night and day and gives me hope that if we pick Poku he could do the same.

It will be interesting to see if he did have a growth spurs and what his new height is what ever it is I am being optimistic he can make a huge jump next season.

Dejounte
09-21-2020, 08:05 PM
Just watched a vid from when he was 15 years old now I know why the Spurs had been watching him for awhile. He was really good but man was he so skinny it's like night and day and gives me hope that if we pick Poku he could do the same.

It will be interesting to see if he did have a growth spurs and what his new height is what ever it is I am being optimistic he can make a huge jump next season.

https://twitter.com/THalfCourtPress/status/1308125660913696768?s=19

The Spurs can go so many ways in this draft, it's crazy.

All I'm hoping for is that they don't miss out on their #1 target, whoever that might be. Nobody better cock block the Spurs.

Joseph Kony
09-21-2020, 08:07 PM
wow bertans looks like a got damn skeleton there :lol

Dejounte
09-21-2020, 08:09 PM

It's important to note he didn't come over immediately after being drafted. That's why Bertans looks unrecognizable there. He was chunky when he first came to the Spurs.

Dejounte
09-21-2020, 08:39 PM
On the point Seventyniner and I was making in the Keldon thread, it's funny looking at the 2011 NBA draft in retrospect. Davis Bertans was drafted #42 and he has outlasted most of the players in the first round (including the lottery). He would probably be taken in the mid first round if there was a re-draft.

It's similar to my comment about Quinndary (2019 2nd round draft pick) possibly being better than half the point guards in the lottery of the upcoming 2020 NBA draft. It's considered blasphemous and met with a dismissive attitude (ahem timvp) like it could never be within the realm of possibility. The reality is that it happens quite a bit. It's like if I had said right before the 2012 NBA draft that Bertans will be better than half of the PFs in the lottery. And let's look.... Hmm, yup. He's better than Thomas Robinson, Henson, Harkless.

People need to stop looking at draft position.

DAF86
09-21-2020, 09:24 PM

That NBA juice doing the work.

#draftPoku

exstatic
09-21-2020, 10:00 PM
The Air Alamo article that used this photo also said he was in a growth spurt and was now pushing 7 feet tall. He is going to be a match up nightmare.

Draft Poku, and have the ivory towers. :lol

Sugus
09-22-2020, 01:00 PM

I hadn't heard of that, if it's true... Damn. What a pick this could be in retrospect. He's getting visibly bulkier AND taller? Insane, especially considering a few cm aren't likely to hurt his already above-average-for-height ball handling skills. Next year will be huge for Luka.

look_at_g_shred
09-22-2020, 03:23 PM
On the point Seventyniner (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17327) and I was making in the Keldon thread, it's funny looking at the 2011 NBA draft in retrospect. Davis Bertans was drafted #42 and he has outlasted most of the players in the first round (including the lottery). He would probably be taken in the mid first round if there was a re-draft.

It's similar to my comment about Quinndary (2019 2nd round draft pick) possibly being better than half the point guards in the lottery of the upcoming 2020 NBA draft. It's considered blasphemous and met with a dismissive attitude (ahem timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8)) like it could never be within the realm of possibility. The reality is that it happens quite a bit. It's like if I had said right before the 2012 NBA draft that Bertans will be better than half of the PFs in the lottery. And let's look.... Hmm, yup. He's better than Thomas Robinson, Henson, Harkless.

People need to stop looking at draft position.
Imagine when Q starts hitting the 3 consistently. I don't think people (even some spurs fans) realize how good he can be. A lot has to be the 2nd round moniker attached to him. He's already solid on D. He's a smart defender. Good playmaker ( already better than Murray in that regard) . Offensively, it's not anything that'll make you go "whoah" but it's just solid all around man. I love that he started getting more minutes in the bubble. Excited for KJ/Luka/Q

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Imagine when Q starts hitting the 3 consistently. I don't think people (even some spurs fans) realize how good he can be. A lot has to be the 2nd round moniker attached to him. He's already solid on D. He's a smart defender. Good playmaker ( already better than Murray in that regard) . Offensively, it's not anything that'll make you go "whoah" but it's just solid all around man. I love that he started getting more minutes in the bubble. Excited for KJ/Luka/Q

Weatherspoon is definitely a solid player. I honestly liked all 3 draft picks we got and think they could all have decent NBA careers barring Injury

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-23-2020, 11:16 PM
don't know when that photo is from but he looks stronger. that was on area that keldon clearly already came into the league way ahead of luka on.

It's pretty recent because he has his new tattoo on the other side of his wolf tattoo

Obi Juan Kenobi
09-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Draft Poku, and have the ivory towers. :lol

This professor likes this! :tu

ace3g
10-05-2020, 05:09 PM
hmmm, Olin Simplis tagged Luka in this IG post, maybe he is working with him this offseason?

CF9TAemFE-f

Dejounte
10-05-2020, 06:18 PM
hmmm, Olin Simplis tagged Luka in this IG post, maybe he is working with him this offseason?

CF9TAemFE-f

I thought Luka was in Croatia again. He's only posting pictures with his new girl.

ace3g
10-18-2020, 07:38 PM
https://twitter.com/SamanicLuka/status/1317931296765693953

Dejounte
10-18-2020, 07:53 PM
https://twitter.com/SamanicLuka/status/1317931296765693953

I'm glad he's staying in the gym. An improved Samanic would do wonders for next season's team.

Dverde
10-18-2020, 08:41 PM
I wish he was on the swoll patrol instead of posting pictures calling himself a gym rat

exstatic
10-18-2020, 09:22 PM
I wish he was on the swoll patrol instead of posting pictures calling himself a gym rat

You missed the neck that is bigger than his head? First thing I noticed. He’s been lifting.

mookie2001
10-19-2020, 02:27 AM
We should have drafted Clarke.

exstatic
10-19-2020, 06:55 AM
We should have drafted Clarke.

Nah. Clarke is what he is now. His college numbers were a function of being a 23 YO 5th year senior playing against much younger guys. By the time he hits his second contract, he will already be on the back side of his athletic prime. Come at me in 3 years, when Samanic is the age Clarke was when he was drafted.