PDA

View Full Version : Why are we displeased with DeRozen so much?

Hyperhypo
07-07-2019, 11:02 PM
I'm just wondering why everyone is so down on him. I think he's pretty good and worth every penny.

GAustex
07-07-2019, 11:03 PM
nope
he is not a winner especially for the money

Dhbsr555
07-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Worth 27.5 million . Whatever your on must be some good stuff man.

RD2191
07-07-2019, 11:14 PM
He's a failure when it matters tbh.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-07-2019, 11:16 PM
C'mon man, he can't shoot 3s, mucks up the offense, mediocre on defense, chucks basketballs at referees

duncan2k5
07-07-2019, 11:29 PM
DeRozan is our Melo... Puts up numbers, but makes the team worse because of his game... The only difference is that Melo was at least clutch in his prime... DDR is on the downside of his career... The guy is just empty stats

UnWantedTheory
07-07-2019, 11:30 PM
He isn't consistent defensively, can't shoot 3's, and in my opinion the most important issue, is he is mentally weak. With all that said, he is still a very talented player that could have been more than he is.

Dhbsr555
07-07-2019, 11:32 PM
Here’s my issue he’s been in the league almost 10 years and still doesn’t have a 3 point shot. Derrick White is in his 2nd year and is putting up 500 threes a day... that’s why I’m not a fan of dd.. he’s a wasted talent.

NASpurs
07-07-2019, 11:32 PM
He plays 90s ball basically in 2020. My dude’s old school game is outdated and he’s seemed to refuse to address it.

timvp
07-07-2019, 11:35 PM
I'm just wondering why everyone is so down on him.

Honestly? It's because we Spurs fans have been spoiled by having an all-time great playing at a high level on the roster the previous 30+ years.

DeRozan has flaws and isn't an all-time great but he's better than the ST consensus, tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2019, 11:35 PM
nothing more then a overglorified corey maggette

DPG21920
07-07-2019, 11:39 PM
Honestly? It's because we Spurs fans have been spoiled by having an all-time great playing at a high level on the roster the previous 30+ years.

DeRozan has flaws and isn't an all-time great but he's better than the ST consensus, tbh.

So how do you reconcile that nearly every statistic has him as pretty overrated? I don’t think people think he truly sucks; I think people can’t reconcile how his talent truly relates to being a legitimate all-star to build around.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-07-2019, 11:54 PM
derozan is a legit all star level player who is a solid teammate and has bought into the spurs system. his defense is very much improved but inconsistent. also he legit carried this team for a good stretch last year, got hurt then played through it like a soldier despite the negative impacts on his own stats. then led the spurs in almost all basic statistical offensive categories in the playoffs.

all of this despite learning the spurs system in his first year and mostly playing out of his natural SG position

derozan isnt kawhi or duncan but he should get more love

hombre
07-07-2019, 11:59 PM
Last year would have fucking sucked without DeRozan.

timvp
07-08-2019, 12:00 AM
So how do you reconcile that nearly every statistic has him as pretty overrated? I don’t think people think he truly sucks; I think people can’t reconcile how his talent truly relates to being a legitimate all-star to build around.

DeRozan's talent is to be the engine of a team that other players feed off of. His value is he uses a lot of possessions at a reasonably high level ... and a lot of times he's stuck using possessions where things have broken down and it's up to him to go one-on-one. Unless the player is a top 20 player all-time, such players usually don't have pretty advanced stats because they're doing the heavy lifting to lighten the load on everyone else.

Tony Parker was a similar case. During the Big 3 Era, he was the engine -- and sometimes his advanced stats suffered due to it (not all the time like DeRozan, though, obviously). Compare that to Manu Ginobili who played a role coming off the bench that was specifically designed to be take advantage of other team's weaknesses -- who also played the highest percentage of his minutes alongside the other two members of the Big 3 -- and it was no wonder he was an advanced stats god.

Gotta put those stats into context, tbh. It's not as simple as believing good advanced stats = good player, bad advanced stats = bad player.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 12:00 AM
I know people will dislike this but I do not want to lose white nor Dejounte so I would trade DeMar for draft picks.

DPG21920
07-08-2019, 12:08 AM
DeRozan's talent is to be the engine of a team that other players feed off of. His value is he uses a lot of possessions at a reasonably high level ... and a lot of times he's stuck using possessions where things have broken down and it's up to him to go one-on-one. Unless the player is a top 20 player all-time, such players usually don't have pretty advanced stats because they're doing the heavy lifting to lighten the load on everyone else.

Tony Parker was a similar case. During the Big 3 Era, he was the engine -- and sometimes his advanced stats suffered due to it (not all the time like DeRozan, though, obviously). Compare that to Manu Ginobili who played a role coming off the bench that was specifically designed to be take advantage of other team's weaknesses -- who also played the highest percentage of his minutes alongside the other two members of the Big 3 -- and it was no wonder he was an advanced stats god.

Gotta put those stats into context, tbh. It's not as simple as believing good advanced stats = good player, bad advanced stats = bad player.

That makes some sense and absolutely context matters. But he’s paid like a top 20 player and to be so consistently rated so poorly across most statistics? I mean...I dont know how much context can be provided when every thing (even flawed) seems to scream the same thing when pieced together.

I think it’s more that the league has changed and you can’t really be a star if you have zero value off the ball and very little ability to positively impact the game on off shooting nights.

He’s a very talented player, but his flaws require near perfect team building to max that out to the point where it may be next to futile to pursue said build. I don’t know. It’s one of the more interesting cases of eye test vs stats vs perception etc..

DPG21920
07-08-2019, 12:09 AM
Last year would have fucking sucked without DeRozan.

SA made the playoffs with no Kawhi and no DeRozan the season before. I think the ceiling is lower without DeRozan but the floor was no different.

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:13 AM
derozan is a legit all star level player who is a solid teammate and has bought into the spurs system. his defense is very much improved but inconsistent. also he legit carried this team for a good stretch last year, got hurt then played through it like a soldier despite the negative impacts on his own stats. then led the spurs in almost all basic statistical offensive categories in the playoffs.

all of this despite learning the spurs system in his first year and mostly playing out of his natural SG position

Sounds like Melo. Well liked by his teammates... Lead the team in offense, played out of position a lot... That doesn't change the fact that he has a negative impact on the team when it comes to winning... He has shown us this his entire career... Now he is on the downside of his career and we expect him to change suddenly?

And how exactly has he bought into the Spurs system? What is he doing differently that he wasn't doing in Toronto? He looks even worse to me than he looked in Toronto... The guy looks awful playing off the ball... Trade him while we can! I predicted last season that we would lose in the first round despite having two all star caliber players, and we did.. That's because I watch basketball outside of the Spurs, so I know how shitty DDR is and how he makes teams worse

We would have been a better team last year with no DDR and having Walker in his place (or any mediocre vet that can shoot a 3 and play some semblance of defense)

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:14 AM
I know people will dislike this but I do not want to lose white nor Dejounte so I would trade DeMar for draft picks.

I've been calling for this forever

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:16 AM

Bro... We actually watch the games and can see he isn't a good player... He is Melo... All empty stats I guarantee if we trade him now, we get better immediately

Altair
07-08-2019, 12:18 AM
He replaced nephew. This forum expected him as good as that

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 12:22 AM
because he is paid to be a team leader, plays no defense, and his offense disappears when it matter most. and throughout the course of the game, his lack of jump shooting threat makes things difficult for everyone else.

slick'81
07-08-2019, 12:24 AM
It be nice to see him have some playoff success in san antonio

DPG21920
07-08-2019, 12:25 AM
It be nice to see him have some playoff success in san antonio

Funny thing is he was pretty good this playoffs..

south side spur
07-08-2019, 12:26 AM
Not all DeRozan haters but it’s mainly Kawhi dick riders.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 12:26 AM
I've been calling for this forever
I like our young core and I think we can do some damage in a couple of years if we keep them together.

slick'81
07-08-2019, 12:29 AM

i mean advance outta rnd 1

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:32 AM

He didn't shit the bed to the point where he had to be benched... But to say he was "pretty good" is a stretch... He was ok... But shat the bed on cue in game 7 against a young, inexperienced nuggets team... For goodness sakes my guy, ur supposed to be a star level vet!

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 12:44 AM
Here’s the thing derozen is decent . And if this was the 90’s he’d be a legit star. However the game has changed and he’s out of place.. i mean if he atleast played good d I don’t believe we would complain to much.. but he’s a liability on that end as well. Hoping they trade him for picks

Mr. Body
07-08-2019, 01:00 AM
Spurs fans are perpetual malcontents who found ways to bitch about Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, two of the great players in franchise history. They would bitch about a blowjob from Queen Victoria riding a clone of a T. Rex and take a shit on a million dollars because they are foul, fucked up people with no business talking about basketball much less living much longer than they already have.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-08-2019, 01:08 AM
When something goes wrong or as unintended, our deep need to explain what caused the problem to occur is triggered.
A way of finding cause is to blame someone. This is a surprisingly common approach in organizations where a 'blame culture' assumes someone is at fault for every problem and issue. As a result, people are quick to judge others and equally quick to place responsibility. Even thinking that if we could just change that variable everything would be okay.
What is easily missed is that most problems are caused by the context or system and not by people.

slick'81
07-08-2019, 01:14 AM
When something goes wrong or as unintended, our deep need to explain what caused the problem to occur is triggered.
A way of finding cause is to blame someone. This is a surprisingly common approach in organizations where a 'blame culture' assumes someone is at fault for every problem and issue. As a result, people are quick to judge others and equally quick to place responsibility. Even thinking that if we could just change that variable everything would be okay.
What is easily missed is that most problems are caused by the context or system and not by people.

Damn narcissists

hombre
07-08-2019, 01:24 AM
SA made the playoffs with no Kawhi and no DeRozan the season before. I think the ceiling is lower without DeRozan but the floor was no different.

Everything was different. Key injuries and a much weaker bench this season, which would have fucking sucked without DeRozan, who played through injuries for the second half of the season.

Hyperhypo
07-08-2019, 01:29 AM
I believe DD has had bad coaching most of his career. You don't let a player with his talent be the same year in and year out.
The Spurs change players so this is a good situation for him. DeMar is NOT on the downside of his career as he is only 29, you can be in your prime between 28 and 32, right?
At 29, he is probably smart enough to see his flaws and the Spurs don't baby their players so they will let him know how to get better. Remember, he didn't have a summer to work with the Spurs coaching staff and it's hard to make major changes during season.
It's up to DD to change but being 29 is a great age to change. You can't teach the things he is good at which is awesome but you can teach the things he lacks in which is why I like the guy. He isn't perfect but he is a legit player. Now, if he comes back next season and wants to shoot long 2s all day then he can kiss my booty.

EricB
07-08-2019, 01:29 AM

Demar Derozan is a borderline all star. With the way these basement dwellers talk you’d think he was Romain Sato.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 01:33 AM
Tbh derozen has a higher career scoring average than Duncan , Ginobili , and porker ... why don’t we like him? We don’t have to give a damn reason we just don’t like him.

alpha_HaZE
07-08-2019, 01:51 AM

This pretty much, AND he is durable.

Chucho
07-08-2019, 01:53 AM
Spurs fans are perpetual malcontents who found ways to bitch about Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, two of the great players in franchise history. They would bitch about a blowjob from Queen Victoria riding a clone of a T. Rex and take a shit on a million dollars because they are foul, fucked up people with no business talking about basketball much less living much longer than they already have.

Buried a whole army of faggots in one post. :tu

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 01:53 AM
if we were paying him 18 mill I wouldn’t complain it’s his fat paycheck and him refusing to work on his game

venitian navigator
07-08-2019, 01:55 AM
I agree with TIMVP...but one point is that he created an image of himself as a weak personality kind...and that's been supported not only by stats (that could be well not so indicative, like TIMVP said, because of the context) but also by making some obvious mistake about choices like taking unnecessary risks or looking overconfident in his skills...one big example that come to my mind (and will be difficult to delate) is when he lost the game with raptors putting himself in a situation to be raped by n°2...in few words, imho, that's been an excess of pride if you want to call it in a good way, an excess of stubborness and stupidity if you want to call it in an even way, a sign he will always be a loser 'because he will always be unprepared or make the wrong choice in crucial time if you want to call it in a bad way...
I'm positive on the guy after just one season also if I always disliked his game bacause not only, like TIMVP said, he carried a big part of the load for our team, but also because he looks like a good person and teammate but also someone that could be able to learn from his mistakes...and in this sense one Year in our environment could do wonders for him.
we will see...
I like the guy but the jury is still out on him...just have to hope for the best (in this sense he's lucky to be in the best environment for improving).

ElNono
07-08-2019, 04:54 AM
He's a regular season player... much like LMA... when the stakes are high and going gets rough, you need to be both mentally tough and sometimes play outside of your comfort zone. Unfortunately, with these guys, the bottom falls out.

It's disheartening, and it makes it difficult to dream big when your leaders and stars are that kind of guys. They're both very talented, and clearly great players, but they have an obvious ceiling.

While it's true that Spursfan is spoiled, it's also true that once you tasted the sweet nectar of a championship, the bar is somewhere else. It's tough to be happy with just a first round exit.

Case in point, watching a lot of fans from other teams here over the years. You can tell they're hopeful to win soon, they feel they have a nice core that can take them there, but Spursfans that have seen championship teams, we can see the flaws they don't see.

They spin around in this 1st/2nd round exit mode for a few seasons, then eventually fold, tank and go back to the drawing board.

Rusty
07-08-2019, 04:58 AM
because he sucks:lol

not just exaggerating, Raptors had to bench this motherfucker to prevent getting swept by the Cleveland Lebrons. And they still get swept :lol

TheCerebral1
07-08-2019, 07:58 AM
He's a chucker, and personally I still cannot quite get over his bitching about being traded here from Toronto. He is a turd on defense as well. Overrated trash.

boutons_deux
07-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Like so many players, he has plenty of physical tools, except heart and brains :)

DeMar DeRozan opens up about depression struggles | SI.com

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/26/toronto-raptors-demar-derozan-depression (https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/26/toronto-raptors-demar-derozan-depression)

Depression is tough, sinister foe.

timtonymanu
07-08-2019, 08:17 AM
OP probably thinks Patty Mills is worth 50 million because he's the team barista.

timtonymanu
07-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Basically what El Nono said though. Only kitchen dwellers like TPark celebrate mediocrity.

vavvi
07-08-2019, 08:21 AM
If the alternative is the one and only Russell Westbrook aka Russell Westbrook's contract I'm very pleased with DeRozen

NASpurs
07-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Mr Empty Stats at 21/6/6 while barely posting a net positive. But yeah, he deserves those $27 mil. Most of you dumbfucks PATFO slurpers will come around once he doesn’t get extended.

GAustex
07-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Dverde
07-08-2019, 08:27 AM
I think he gets shitted on too much. I think a lot of it is his terrible fourth quarter management. I’m hoping with the new wave of talent he relents on trying to win the games by himself in the fourth.

DPG21920
07-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Everything was different. Key injuries and a much weaker bench this season, which would have fucking sucked without DeRozan, who played through injuries for the second half of the season.

What?? The bench now is 10x stronger now.

SpursDynasty85
07-08-2019, 08:40 AM
2016-2017 Kawhi was probably one of the most complete players of all-time. I mean he was Jordan +Pippen on defense and pretty much an all star om offense too. Then our lives and happiness depended on getting equal value for him. When this did not happen, Spurstalk became cry baby city.

PublicOption
07-08-2019, 08:44 AM
NO 3 POINT SHOT.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2019, 08:45 AM
fkn low iq player

JADG79
07-08-2019, 08:54 AM
He need the ball to create his own shot most of the time with no 3 pts range.

Manu20
07-08-2019, 09:07 AM
DeRozan has his flaws but he did put up 21pts 6reb 6ast per game last season. If we do compare to Kawhi of course he doesn't come close to him but $hit happened.

boutons_deux
07-08-2019, 09:10 AM
DeRozan has his flaws but he did put up 21pts 6reb 6ast per game last season. If we do compare to Kawhi of course he doesn't come close to him but $hit happened.

If DDR gave us his November numbers all year, esp in the playoffs (where he annually droops), the song would be different.

Gagnrath
07-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Short reason why we are displeased with DeRozan and Aldridge..... Is because they are guys that have the basketball talent and abilities to lead championship teams but don't have the personal leadership ability. Both of them are good guys and very good basketball players. Both of them are probably fairly compensated, and yes winning championships in basketball takes some luck and timing as well. Both these guys lack championship heart however and well in order for a team to consistently in seven game series against talent on the same level you have to have someone who can will their way through a game to a win. It also has to be a guy who is a legitimate top talent.

DeadlyDynasty
07-08-2019, 09:35 AM
If DDR gave us his November numbers all year, esp in the playoffs (where he annually droops), the song would be different.
:lmaoyeah, and if Ryan Fitzpatrick put up his September #'s all year he'd be a 1st-ballot HOFer

Clipper Nation
07-08-2019, 09:37 AM
DeRozan is a younger Jamal Crawford. No joke, last time I checked the playoff efficiency stats, they were scarily similar, and not in a good way.

Xx_SpursNation_xX
07-08-2019, 09:41 AM
He has no killer instinct, feels like he's just playing for a paycheck.

acoelho1
07-08-2019, 09:47 AM
There was a stretch last year that DDR played some really good ball. He's not Melo by any means. For one, he's a much better distributor and put in the right situation, he would thrive in our system. I think for the Spurs to succeed, we need to lean more heavily on Murray and White and have DDR play a more complimentary role instead of trying to be the alpha dog. He also NEEDS to shoot some 3's. I hope like White, he's shooting 500 3's a day in the summer. I think this team are title contenders even with the flaws in DDR's game.

4down
07-08-2019, 11:27 AM

He had to replace what Dejounte was doing on the fly. A pretty tall ask when you think about how high people were on Murray and that DeRozan was in his first year in the Spurs system. Now we'll get to see how he does with Murray as a running mate

Seventyniner
07-08-2019, 11:32 AM
He had to replace what Dejounte was doing on the fly. A pretty tall ask when you think about how high people were on Murray and that DeRozan was in his first year in the Spurs system. Now we'll get to see how he does with Murray as a running mate

True. Last year's squad was built, especially the free agent signings, assuming that Number Two, Danny, and Dejounte would all be around. This offseason is much more coherent.

itzsoweezee
07-08-2019, 11:37 AM
He has huge shortcomings that get completely exposed in the playoffs. There's a reason the NBA has moved away from his style of play, and why Carmelo can't get a job

And it has nothing to do with Spurs fans being spoiled. Ask raptors fans what they think of him, or professional NBA writers.

He's be good as a role player. Unfortunately, his impact on the salary cap far exceeds his potential contribution to winning.

TheGreatYacht
07-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Delivering the goods as per usual tbh

MultiTroll
07-08-2019, 11:47 AM
$ Contract amount / years vs what he brings to team is the bottom line dissatisfaction factor.

If he had an average salary with less years it would match his on court output.

poopbox
07-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Since he doesn't shoot 3's...or really catch and shoot period...he is not very useful on the offensive end when the ball is not in his hands...

Goes into "i'm going to get a foul call" mode WAY to much...

And some of it is just bad fit...Derozan was devastating at times when he was surrounded with shooters and either LMA or Poeltl as the lone big.. but we have white who is going to have the ball alot...dejounte who is going to have the ball a lot...Walker who I anticipate have the ball at least some...and so Derozan is just not going to get many minutes to do the one thing he does really well...

Shame cause he flashed some real brilliance in some games as thee primary ball handler...he was the main reason the team didn't crater in the beginning of the season after all the injuries...

Spurs da champs
07-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Basically what El Nono said though. Only kitchen dwellers like TPark celebrate mediocrity.
:lmao

SpurSpike
07-08-2019, 12:14 PM
He's a good player but needs a mental coach to teach him how to keep his calm when things aren't going his way. If he learned to put his emotions in check it could imo help him reach the next level.

timtonymanu
07-08-2019, 03:56 PM
Mr Empty Stats at 21/6/6 while barely posting a net positive. But yeah, he deserves those $27 mil. Most of you dumbfucks PATFO slurpers will come around once he doesn’t get extended.

Basement dweller, drink draino.