PDA

View Full Version : TNT Report: DeMar DeRozan to Opt Out if the Spurs Don't Give Him an Extension

Pages : [1] 2 3

timvp
03-10-2020, 07:16 PM
:wow

https://i.imgur.com/XAkjviN.gif

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 07:17 PM
Fuck me, we gotta keep this ~35 win team together.

Ibleedslvrnblk
03-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Go wreck some other team please. He is the ever reminding stain of KL fiasco

Leetonidas
03-10-2020, 07:20 PM
There are only a few teams with a lot of capspace this summer and they all suck. If he opts out I bet Spurs sign and trade him. I'm not watching next year if they extend or resign him

DesignatedT
03-10-2020, 07:21 PM
Let him walk

Strategic
03-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Don’t let the screen door hit ya where the good lord split ya

timvp
03-10-2020, 07:22 PM
There are only a few teams with a lot of capspace this summer and they all suck. If he opts out I bet Spurs sign and trade him. I'm not watching next year if they extend or resign him

Supposedly Knicks want him.

Makes sense since the Knicks needs a playmaker and they're dumb enough to overpay him.

Robz4000
03-10-2020, 07:23 PM
Let him walk

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 07:24 PM
Let him walk

Not needed, I'll drive him to the airport.

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 07:25 PM

Makes sense since Knicks

Really all that needed to be said

timvp
03-10-2020, 07:25 PM
Really all that needed to be said

:lol

NASpurs
03-10-2020, 07:28 PM
itshappening.gif

spurs1990
03-10-2020, 07:28 PM
One of the bright sides of being trash this season is not being obliged to extend DeRozan. It would be hilariously upsetting if the FO still caved in

212094ever
03-10-2020, 07:32 PM
Prayingdog.jpg

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 07:33 PM
Too bad he can't opt out now so the Spurs can waive him.

DesignatedT
03-10-2020, 07:35 PM
Now they need Pop to opt out and they can start to properly rebuild this thing :tu

RC_Drunkford
03-10-2020, 07:36 PM
sign and trade would be the best scenario. As dumb as this FO is they will probably max him out and we will see the wing tandem DeRozan/Forbes for another 3-4 years

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 07:39 PM
sign and trade would be the best scenario. As dumb as this FO is they will probably max him out and we will see the wing tandem DeRozan/Forbes for another 3-4 years

So we can take back some overpaid Knicks trash just to say we got something? That's the whole reason we're in this situation to begin with tbh. Just let him go for nothing.

timvp
03-10-2020, 07:42 PM
So we can take back some overpaid Knicks trash just to say we got something? That's the whole reason we're in this situation to begin with tbh. Just let him go for nothing.

:tu

I'm 100% fine with letting him walk. Sunk cost.

"Extend me or I'm going to the Knicks" shouldn't make the Spurs flinch at all. It could be a bluff but even if it isn't ....... who cares, tbh?

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 07:44 PM
:tu

I'm 100% fine with letting him walk. Sunk cost.

"Extend me or I'm going to the Knicks" shouldn't make the Spurs flinch at all. It could be a bluff but even if it isn't ....... who cares, tbh?

Still wish they would have just told Leonard to sit out the season again. :cry But we have to get something for him :cry

Making him waste a second prime year of his career for fucking the Spurs over would have been so much better than getting Poetl

RC_Drunkford
03-10-2020, 07:47 PM

I'm ok with that, but if they do it they should've traded him at the deadline. Would be classic PATFO though, doing dumb shit is in their DNA

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 07:48 PM
I'm ok with that, but if they do it they should've traded him at the deadline. Would be classic PATFO though, doing dumb shit is in their DNA

Don't know, maybe the offers were shit too by then. I wish they would have fucking traded him a month into the season when it was crystal clear this was a lottery team.

lmbebo
03-10-2020, 07:49 PM
sign and trade him. No reason to give him money to feel like we didn't lose out more on the Quitter trade. We've lost. Why put cement in our shoes now.

lmbebo
03-10-2020, 07:49 PM
Don't know, maybe the offers were shit too by then. I wish they would have fucking traded him a month into the season when it was crystal clear this was a lottery team.

This. Rumors of Magic kicking tires way back when.

timvp
03-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Still wish they would have just told Leonard to sit out the season again. :cry But we have to get something for him :cry

Making him waste a second prime year of his career for fucking the Spurs over would have been so much better than getting PoetlThat was always my preference.

I'm ok with that, but if they do it they should've traded him at the deadline. Would be classic PATFO though, doing dumb shit is in their DNASpurs missed out on a second round pick at most by not trading him. Who cares, tbh?

timtonymanu
03-10-2020, 07:52 PM
I wonder if Chinook will still spin this and say the Spurs should extend him :lol

timtonymanu
03-10-2020, 07:53 PM
Good riddance, Demar, tbh

RC_Drunkford
03-10-2020, 07:54 PM
That was always my preference.

Spurs missed out on a second round pick at most by not trading him. Who cares, tbh?

they could've gotten a starting caliber PF or SG in return at least

NASpurs
03-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Just freeing up cap space to max out Forbes.

timvp
03-10-2020, 07:56 PM
they could've gotten a starting caliber PF or SG in return at least

Spurs fans: DeRozan is terrible. He's overpaid, too emotional, stuck in the 90s, refuses to join the current way the game is played and will only get worse from here.

Also Spurs fans: Other teams will give the Spurs first round draft picks, starting power forwards and/or starting shooting guards in a trade.

:rollin

Killakobe81
03-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Making him waste a second prime year of his career for fucking the Spurs over would have been so much better than getting Poetl

Gotta say in the end you were right playing hardball would have been best maybe the offers increase if they do ...because even if he never played summer workouts and his talent would have been plenty to force teams to pay up.

Reality is they didnt want him to get to either LA team he still got there and got a title. Uncle Dennis and KL (and Raptors pf course) only winners of that deal.

ZeusWillJudge
03-10-2020, 07:59 PM
:wow

https://i.imgur.com/XAkjviN.gif

:lol Perfect!

slick'81
03-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Wat a joke. Spurs should of traded this loser when they had the chance. Now its extend or probably lose derozan for nothing .

Everything about that kawhi deal just fcked the spurs in everyway

RC_Drunkford
03-10-2020, 08:01 PM

Spurs fans: DeRozan is terrible. He's overpaid, too emotional, stuck in the 90s, refuses to join the current way the game is played and will only get worse from here.

Also Spurs fans: Other teams will give the Spurs first round draft picks, starting power forwards and/or starting shooting guards in a trade.

the bar is not high if your starters are Trey Lyles and Bryn Forbes. Literally anybody in the NBA is better than those 2

CGD
03-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Im eager to see where he thinks his next big deal is coming from, but more power to him. My money is on the parties working out a sign and trade.

Genovaswitness
03-10-2020, 08:05 PM
fuck this piece of shit. I was ready for him to go as soon as he was signed

DesignatedT
03-10-2020, 08:08 PM

Wasn’t there a ton of smoke about the Kings offering the #2 overall at the time? Pretty disappointing if so considering Doncic was drafted at 3 and we supposedly love the Euros.

Killakobe81
03-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Wasn’t there a ton of smoke about the Kings offering the #2 overall at the time? Pretty disappointing if so considering Doncic was drafted at 3 and we supposedly love the Euros.

underrated possible trade not only #2 but yall probably could have gotten Hield or some other piece. he is not all that great ... but he can shoot 3's

Spurtacular
03-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Yay. More minutes for Forbes.

Dex
03-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Good riddance.

I don't care if we only win 30 games next season, this team will still be more likeable without DeMar's bum-ass jacking up long 2s and complaining to the officials every time he takes a layup.

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 08:12 PM

Bruh. To be fair you wrote an article on how he was a top player. So hes now only worth a second round pick even as you mentioned he’s putting up 20/5/5??

If that’s true, and you were hoping and calling for keeping this together basically then it has to be retroactively considered one of the worst trades in nba history.

SA got fleeced and the FO did a horrendous job with the Kawhi trade and taking that “win now package” over any team offering any first.

If Derozan can’t net you a first now via trade then that says any first originally > Derozan value.

slick'81
03-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Good riddance.

I don't care if we only win 30 games next season, this team will still be more likeable without DeMar's bum-ass jacking up long 2s and complaining to the officials every time he takes a layup.

Spurs are only gonna win 30 games with him so not much difference tbh

slick'81
03-10-2020, 08:16 PM
Bruh. To be fair you wrote an article on how he was a top player. So hes now only worth a second round pick even as you mentioned he’s putting up 20/5/5??

If that’s true, and you were hoping and calling for keeping this together basically then it has to be retroactively considered one of the worst trades in nba history.

SA got fleeced and the FO did a horrendous job with the Kawhi trade and taking that “win now package” over any team offering any first.

If Derozan can’t net you a first now via trade then that says any first originally > Derozan value.

Nobody wanted derozans deal tbh but to only net a 2nd!? Spurs failed on soo many levels here

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 08:17 PM
But getting a 2nd rounder is better than nothing. They can still sign and trade and Knicks may not be the only team interested.

But 2nd rounder > nothing. Especially since many of us saw the writing on the wall early regarding this teams REALISTIC shot at making playoffs. With the results at the deadline there was really no justification for making zero moves. If the reason you couldn’t do that is because no one wants the guys you handpicked? What does that tell you.

But no harm no foul as long as they do what’s right this summer. I’ve given up hope that they can be creative and ahead of the curve by doing smart things and gathering picks for DDR and LMA (even if it means taking on a bad deal for a year or two.

At this point I’m just hoping they no longer do catastrophically stupid things like pay Derozan, pay Forbes, sign meaningless vets to take minutes from youth.

They need to take MAJOR reformative steps this summer and prove they are a competent FO still. The clock is ticking starting this Summer.

MultiTroll
03-10-2020, 08:18 PM
So the final net from Kwa to Toronto would be?:

slick'81
03-10-2020, 08:19 PM

Kj tbh and possibly poodle

spurs need to deal lma this summer and begin the rebuild

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 08:20 PM

The end of the Spurs. Funny how TOR is fine sans Kawhi but SA gets excuses.

Spurs Brazil
03-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Good riddance.

Chinook
03-10-2020, 08:31 PM
I wonder if Chinook will still spin this and say the Spurs should extend him :lol

Why does this need spin? I didn't see how this was reported, but it seems like DMDR wants a long-term deal, whether via an extension or a new deal this summer. On its face, it really doesn't seem like a threat or anything worth getting worked up about unless you were one of those folks who insisted that DMDR was opting in. I was pretty famously willing to let him walk before most folks in this thread were. I do support an extension that makes sense and have heard nothing to change that. I also support a S&T with a team like the Knicks. New York has overpaid guys, but they have them on expiring deals. That's a better use of salary than just having more room under the tax. If the team also loses LMA in the off-season, getting a PF or two from New York wouldn't be that bad.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-10-2020, 08:32 PM
If the Knicks sign him to a max.. I’m gonna consider it payback for the Marcus Morris/Bertans stuff

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 08:33 PM
JeffDuncan - didn’t you say Derozan wasn’t giving up 27M and that SA was obligated to pay him no matter what :lol

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 08:35 PM
I’m sorry, but unless it’s to trade him there is absolutely Zero reason to give any more money to DDR. If he opted in, fine, can’t control that. But if he opts out you don’t even put an offer out (and from what I’ve gathered SA has little to no interest in that fwiw)

timvp
03-10-2020, 08:42 PM
the bar is not high if your starters are Trey Lyles and Bryn Forbes. Literally anybody in the NBA is better than those 2

Brandon Knight and John Henson wouldn't start on the Spurs, tbh.

timvp
03-10-2020, 08:43 PM

There's so much fake news in those four paragraphs, I don't even know where to begin, tbh.

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 08:45 PM
There's so much fake news in those four paragraphs, I don't even know where to begin, tbh.

I have receipts lol.

You did a big DDR write up. It was positive and argued he was a top player (even if flawed).

If DDR couldn’t and can’t be moved for more than a 2nd? How is that not one of the worst trades?
You said don’t blow it up and pursing 8th seed was the right move (it wasn’t and was obvious early).

timvp
03-10-2020, 08:45 PM
But getting a 2nd rounder is better than nothing.

Eh, it's about a wash. Especially when you factor in the flotsam the Spurs would've had to absorb to complete a trade.

No one loses sleep about a missed second round pick :lol

MultiTroll
03-10-2020, 08:46 PM
OWNERSHIP should act PUNITIVELY

DEMAND poop bring in Atkinson as his replacement or Have Timmy Take the JOB, send the old man on his way
Sniffers and Realists alike really needed that win last week.
So I wanted to let time go by before commenting.
Truth be told, Duncan did most of the same stupid shit Popped has been doing.

Started Bryn Forms. That alone is automatic F. Well D-. Bryn Bryn did have one of his once every 10 games good shooting night.
Had a midget on the floor at almost all times.
Said most of the moves were made by the assistants. (May have been joking but sounded literal.)
Played KJ (yah!) but as was noted, was this more because Beli was out? Given the rest of the games copycat approach of CIA Popped, would Tim have done as his master wanted and not played KJ?

So while I would welcome Tim with open arms, truth is he has been mostly a Pop suck up this season too. Indeed any on the coaching staff who tolerated starting Bryn Bryn are guilty of complicity. If they spoke up (I believe none did) then good for them.

RC_Drunkford
03-10-2020, 08:48 PM

SniffVP :lmao :lmao :lmao

timvp
03-10-2020, 08:49 PM
If DDR couldn’t and can’t be moved for more than a 2nd? How is that not one of the worst trades?
You said don’t blow it up and pursing 8th seed was the right move (it wasn’t and was obvious early).

It was always a terrible trade. I never said it wasn't a terrible trade. You don't trade Kawhi and it not be a terrible trade, bruh.

I didn't say don't blow it up. I said don't blow it up just to blow it up. There's a difference. And I stand by that. I'd rather let DeRozan walk than to force a blow up that inevitably includes bad contracts coming back.

Robz4000
03-10-2020, 08:50 PM
Why does this need spin? I didn't see how this was reported, but it seems like DMDR wants a long-term deal, whether via an extension or a new deal this summer. On its face, it really doesn't seem like a threat or anything worth getting worked up about unless you were one of those folks who insisted that DMDR was opting in. I was pretty famously willing to let him walk before most folks in this thread were. I do support an extension that makes sense and have heard nothing to change that. I also support a S&T with a team like the Knicks. New York has overpaid guys, but they have them on expiring deals. That's a better use of salary than just having more room under the tax. If the team also loses LMA in the off-season, getting a PF or two from New York wouldn't be that bad.

Zero chance the Spurs and Knicks FOs even talk this offseason tbh.

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 08:52 PM

Early on there was but I remember all that shit had died way down by the time the draft was near.

phxspurfan
03-10-2020, 08:53 PM
No good FA is going to the Spurs. Place is a joke with guys like Forbes and Belinelli starting over White (early season, not now bc Murray is hurt) and Walker.

phxspurfan
03-10-2020, 08:55 PM
I’m sorry, but unless it’s to trade him there is absolutely Zero reason to give any more money to DDR. If he opted in, fine, can’t control that. But if he opts out you don’t even put an offer out (and from what I’ve gathered SA has little to no interest in that fwiw)

Knicks will max him tbh. It's the Knicks.

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 08:55 PM
Eh, it's about a wash. Especially when you factor in the flotsam the Spurs would've had to absorb to complete a trade.

No one loses sleep about a missed second round pick :lol

For sure. Like I said - it’s optimal GM’ing but it doesn’t “hurt” SA if they don’t. Hard to believe the Kawhi centerpiece and player they choose to build around has no value :lmao

timvp
03-10-2020, 08:57 PM
For sure. Like I said - it’s optimal GM’ing but it doesn’t “hurt” SA if they don’t. Hard to believe the Kawhi centerpiece and player they choose to build around has no value :lmao

Tbf, everyone knew it was a bad trade. It was just a matter of how bad it would ultimately be. Turned out to be really bad, tbh :lol

Chinook
03-10-2020, 08:59 PM

Yeah. I was more responding to the idea that there's something wrong with trading for "flotsam". A couple of years ago, the Knicks had a number of bad deals. Since the KP trade, they've had mostly short-term deals.

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 09:01 PM
It was always a terrible trade. I never said it wasn't a terrible trade. You don't trade Kawhi and it not be a terrible trade, bruh.

I didn't say don't blow it up. I said don't blow it up just to blow it up. There's a difference. And I stand by that. I'd rather let DeRozan walk than to force a blow up that inevitably includes bad contracts coming back.

Well I’m reasonable - that specific context makes sense. I’m just of the opinion that even if underwhelming moving LMA and Derozan would net + value. That hasn’t changed to be fair and they still can do that (if indeed true).

But taking on bad deals short term for picks (say give up Rudy or Mills who should have plus value if eating an extra year bad deal) should have been on table big time.

I get it; if no one had any value and blowing it up meant dumping assets just to rid yourself? Sure. Don’t do it. Find it reallyyyyy hard to believe that’s true that NO ONE has + value?!!

Factor in that SA is by far the outlier in terms of in season trades and it strikes me more as an incompetent FO in regards to player evaluation and trades. One that put selfish “make the playoffs even as an awful team!” In front of what’s right for the future.

Again, big picture I Do understand it’s not a big deal. I just hate that this FO seems to be getting lapped the last few years in terms of being sharp and opportunistic

Prime BEEF
03-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Yup. What a great idea to get nothing for him. Yay cap space! So we can overpay an average veteran!

Chinook
03-10-2020, 09:03 PM

What's crazy is I'm pretty sure PATFO was gonna trade Green, Gasol, Murray and 18 for DeRozan. Considering that Kawhi was like 100-percent leaving anyway, the trade they got might be considered a win in opportunity cost alone.

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 09:05 PM

But also I’m not talking terrible trade in terms of normal Kawhi value. I’m talking terrible decision (and I was vocal about hatred of DDR trade immediately) in the context of his reduced value.

Prime BEEF
03-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Kj tbh and possibly poodle

spurs need to deal lma this summer and begin the rebuild
Spurs won’t match offers on Poetl. So he gone too.

Kawhi and DG for KJ

mo7888
03-10-2020, 09:06 PM

It depends... if the Knicks have a couple more FA's lined up (Lowry etc) they 'might' need to shed an expiring contract to create the room. In that scenario they might give up a small asset for the S&T.

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 09:08 PM
What's crazy is I'm pretty sure PATFO was gonna trade Green, Gasol, Murray and 18 for DeRozan. Considering that Kawhi was like 100-percent leaving anyway, the trade they got might be considered a win in opportunity cost alone.

Well I’ll take any moral win at this point :lol

Genovaswitness
03-10-2020, 09:09 PM
wonder if this sack of shit human being is going to cry in a jack in the box parking lot again.

who’s the fucking idiot that painted the mural :lmao

timvp
03-10-2020, 09:13 PM
But also I’m not talking terrible trade in terms of normal Kawhi value. I’m talking terrible decision (and I was vocal about hatred of DDR trade immediately) in the context of his reduced value.

My stance has always been the Spurs should have held onto him and forced him to sit out a season if that's what he wanted to do. For political reasons (Read: Pop coaching the Olympic team), they didn't want to deal with the mess.

poopbox
03-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Can we stuff Forbes in his carry on bag on his way to whoever the hell he signs with?

gambit1990
03-10-2020, 09:34 PM
OP and others laughed when i said spurs should move demar for westbrook or cp3 this past offseason.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FWjSx3rJ qsa448%2F200.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Dverde
03-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Makes sense. No complaints.

JeffDuncan
03-10-2020, 09:38 PM
I'm a lying piece of shit.

Yes, you are.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
03-10-2020, 09:41 PM
He'll probably light it up from 3 for what ever team he moves to next season.

gambit1990
03-10-2020, 09:52 PM
spurs not even moving demar for drummond :lol

gaping hole at SF? fine. spurs could've missed the POs this season, then gone into next season with murray, white, lonnie, keldon, luka, la, drummond, poeltl + a lottery pick for the best SF available.

Russ
03-10-2020, 09:58 PM
My stance has always been the Spurs should have held onto him and forced him to sit out a season if that's what he wanted to do. For political reasons (Read: Pop coaching the Olympic team), they didn't want to deal with the mess.

I think it was political but not about the Olympics -- the Spurs desperately want to have a favorable image with the NBA domestic workforce.

itzsoweezee
03-10-2020, 10:07 PM
Just let him walk. Sign and trade will bring back nothing worthwhile.

I fully expect this front office to do the wrong thing.

TDomination
03-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Let him opt out.

we got poeltl and keldon Johnson for him. Johnson is an exciting prospect and poeltl is becoming a very good defensive player. Maybe we can somewhat salvage the trade.

KobesAchilles
03-10-2020, 10:25 PM
The next question becomes: what happens to Pop? Does he hang em up (like I’ve said all along) after this year? Is this the official start of Brian Wrong era. Does Becky take over as coach or does Tim?

Demar leaving is the first domino of many that I hope fall our way. Hopefully we don’t re-sign Bryn. If we could trade LMA to the Celtics (after they lose in the 2nd round) Hayward that would be nice. Then extend Hayward. Extend Derrick and have him start. Get rid of Marco. Somehow trade for Julius Randle. Extend Poetl on the cheap and we are good to go :lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2020, 10:33 PM
theres nothing on the knicks worth getting in return for the spurms

Dingle Barry
03-10-2020, 10:37 PM

Dammit this is what should've happened.

Uriel
03-10-2020, 10:50 PM
Not needed, I'll drive him to the airport.

FkLA
03-10-2020, 11:03 PM
I still don't think DeMar got a fair chance in SA.

Give Nephew himself a heavy dose of Forms, Beli, and Wombat and he's not contending either. I'm not saying the ceiling of a well constructed/managed team isn't significantly higher with Neph. I just think the construction, and especially the rotations, on this team are absolute shit. DeMar never stood a chance. How you go from Manu, Green, Fathead, Simmons at the 2/3 to what we have now is just pathetic.

Trainwreck2100
03-10-2020, 11:13 PM
I still don't think DeMar got a fair chance in SA.

Give Nephew himself a heavy dose of Forms, Beli, and Wombat and he's not contending either. I'm not saying the ceiling of a well constructed/managed team isn't significantly higher with Neph. I just think the construction, and especially the rotations, on this team are absolute shit. DeMar never stood a chance. How you go from Manu, Green, Fathead, Simmons at the 2/3 to what we have now is just pathetic.
He never developed a three and that's on him.

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 11:22 PM
He never developed a three and that's on him.

No 3, No D makes him fucking useless in 2020. Good riddance.

Trainwreck2100
03-10-2020, 11:25 PM
No 3, No D makes him fucking useless in 2020.
Not in the east

playblair
03-10-2020, 11:33 PM
brian wright is the gm he has made so many terrible mistakes in his short spurs career playblair guarantees wright will mess this up as well by caving in & extending demar

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 11:34 PM

Yeah - so my point remains; one of the worst trades ever been given the circumstances. There was no justification then and looks WORSE now.

baseline bum
03-10-2020, 11:39 PM

And the olympics aren't even going to fucking happen anyways :pctoss

ZeusWillJudge
03-10-2020, 11:43 PM

The sad thing is, if they had done that there would have been people insisting that his injury was so bad that he had to sit out the second season too.

DPG21920
03-10-2020, 11:44 PM
Yes, you are.

Oh you DIDNT SAY that

Payote75
03-10-2020, 11:59 PM
And this is why I was crying repeatedly to trade him at the deadline and yes even for Wiggins if it was ever available. I would take Wiggins on this team with his contract in a heartbeat over this dude. How the Spurs didn't try and turn him into an asset at the deadline makes no sense. We were all saying it. Why hold onto him or Aldridge just rip the fucking bandaid off this is torture. If we get nothing for him but cap space that's just wonderful. He should of been gonzo at the deadline but I guess the 23 year in a row playoff streak was more important as if DD would ever lead this team anywhere. They better sign and trade even for a bag of shit but to lose him for nothing is crazy. And the Knicks would want him but all they could offer is picks they have shit. This blows my mind I've never scene such a smart classy organization turn into a lousy on in such a short time.
id love to dendritic him to the nets in the summer they need a third dude they want Lavert gone and dinwiddle (spelling) . A package of whatever for those two and I'd be ecstatic.

Also bring atkinson on board please!!! Lavert loves him both players do and Atkinson great at developing young players. It's time.

why damn it why!!!!!

Prose
03-11-2020, 12:25 AM
THEN WHY THE FUCK DIDNT WE GET SOMETHING IN TRADE instead of letting him just walk for free....meaning we got nothing for losing kawhi and danny green

Prose
03-11-2020, 12:27 AM

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 12:28 AM
I am a lying, butthurt sack of shit.

Indeed you are.

itzsoweezee
03-11-2020, 12:28 AM
THEN WHY THE FUCK DIDNT WE GET SOMETHING IN TRADE instead of letting him just walk for free....meaning we got nothing for losing kawhi and danny green

Good question. The smart move would've been to trade DeMar away last summer, but the front office is run by brain dead people with no clue.

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 12:31 AM
Indeed you are.

Everyone saw you quoting CBA language out of context and spouting off about how there was no way he would give up 27M blah blah blah.

Dont worry happens to the best of us.

https://media.giphy.com/media/11fnCV9rd0m58c/giphy.gif

pad300
03-11-2020, 12:33 AM
Ok, it's time to piss everyone off. For the right price, I'd be willing to extend Demar. The right price being 3yrs at <$80m, or 4 yrs at < $100m... As FkLA noted, to my eye, the big problems have been Form and Beli ( I am willing to give Wombat a partial pass, yes his contract was terrible, but he's an acceptable NBA player, unlike Forms and Beli). We keep on running "shooters" who a) can't defend and b) are terribly inconsistent. It fucks everything in the rotation.

What I does make me worry is that the Spurs have had several terrible FA periods in a row. When does it stop being "bad luck" and start being incompetence. To me, Wombat's contract was incompetence. Getting F'ed on the Kwitter trade was par for the course (and "bad luck" due to his "group" picking damaging the franchise to force their way out), but throwing in Green, essentially for free was incompetence. Morris (and the Bertans trade) may have been "bad luck", but Demarre Carroll (and Rudy Gay) is incompetence... A franchise is a three legged stool a) Drafting, b) Free Agency and c) Trades - if one leg goes rotten, the stool collapses. Our FA work has been terrible for several offseasons in a row now...

Russ
03-11-2020, 12:37 AM
The sad thing is, if they had done that there would have been people insisting that his injury was so bad that he had to sit out the second season too.

I think the Spurs would be entitled to an independent medical exam at that point -- if Kawhi passed and didn't play, he would forfeit salary. (At least that's what I understand Article 6.1 of the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement to provide.)

The Spurs could have pushed the issue and insisted upon their rights but didn't. They traded Kawhi instead, likely for PR reasons regarding the franchise and its reputation.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 12:41 AM
And this is why I was crying repeatedly to trade him at the deadline and yes even for Wiggins if it was ever available. I would take Wiggins on this team with his contract in a heartbeat over this dude. How the Spurs didn't try and turn him into an asset at the deadline makes no sense. ...

According to rumor that was posted, they did try. No luck.

Maybe the rumor was untrue, and was only something circulated to try to sooth unhappy fans. Who knows.

How much would YOU pay for DDR, if you were a GM around the league?

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 12:43 AM
There is so much work that needs to be done to build anything remotely competitive around DDR that the act of signing him alone takes away from that possibility.

Couple that with the fact heavy trades would need to happen and evidently no one on SA has good value, how on Earth could you expect to retool the team while signing DeRozan?

I love how people act like giving DeRozan 3/80 or 4/100 is some sort of value :lol? Oh, so multiple more years of this as he ages and gets worse while making over 20+M???

If you aren’t just going by what stupid teams do and by his old value/contract, NOTHING about DDR says he’s worth that money. Taking slightly less per year isn’t a value; he should be making significantly less especially if the argument is he has no trade value.

But DDR isn’t black and white. Spurs were a proud franchise who won 50+ games and titles. They are now behind every single team in their division and their floor (the point of having vets like DDR/LMA) is no higher than those teams and their ceiling is SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

So for SA situation there is no point (beyond that amount of work it would take that SA isn’t capable of to rebuild around DDR in the next 3/4 years) in paying DDR anymore money. They need to get more young talent, more flexibility and plan this out.

For some other teams (CHA, ORL, NY, etc..)? They would be thrilled just to make the playoffs. So that is a situation, with context, where DDR would have value. And yes, there, probably paying him 3/75 makes sense.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 12:43 AM
I got the shit kicked out of me in another thread, and now I'm terminally butthurt!

Sucks to be you.

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 12:47 AM
Sucks to be you.

Notice how no one is on your side...

Yogatti
03-11-2020, 12:52 AM
If Spurs let him walk then that Kawhi/Derozen trade will go down as the worst trade of all time:lmao

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 12:53 AM
If Spurs let him walk then that Kawhi/Derozen trade will go down as the worst trade of all time:lmao

Its already up there. Giving him more money is the only thing that makes it worse.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 12:56 AM
I'm a lying, butthurt dipshit.

Thanks for sharing.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-11-2020, 12:57 AM
i love demars offensive game. hes not as bad on defense as he used to be and so good for him for working on that. demar is better than any of our young players (both now and potentially)

that said ... bye

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 12:57 AM
Thanks for sharing.

How would you do that? DDR has a player option for $27.7 million. How do you plan to persuade him in favor of an s-and-t? Then, how do you convince anybody that he's worth more than $27.7 mil?

Well yeah. If he opts out this Summer it’s because he thinks he will get a large deal (he will). So it makes no difference to him. He can get as much in a S&T as he can in free agency so it makes a lot of sense.

He will still get to choose his team.

Then he's out $27.7 million.

Who is going to pay him more?

Name that team.

It’s not just about the annual number, it’s about guaranteed money.

I can see SA themselves paying him 3/75M. But it’s hard to project exactly who will have cap space right now because there are a lot of variables. But Miami and Detroit are two East teams that have a path to max contracts and would be suitors (already linked to DeRozan via trade) that make a lot of sense.

https://media.giphy.com/media/UGxfEt5POsukg/giphy.gif

Kawhitstorm
03-11-2020, 12:58 AM
Wat a joke. Spurs should of traded this loser when they had the chance. Now its extend or probably lose derozan for nothing .

Everything about that kawhi deal just fcked the spurs in everyway

Uncle Dennis ended Poop:smokin

Kawhitstorm
03-11-2020, 01:08 AM
Ok, it's time to piss everyone off. For the right price, I'd be willing to extend Demar. The right price being 3yrs at <$80m, or 4 yrs at < $100m... As FkLA noted, to my eye, the big problems have been Form and Beli ( I am willing to give Wombat a partial pass, yes his contract was terrible, but he's an acceptable NBA player, unlike Forms and Beli). We keep on running "shooters" who a) can't defend and b) are terribly inconsistent. It fucks everything in the rotation.

What I does make me worry is that the Spurs have had several terrible FA periods in a row. When does it stop being "bad luck" and start being incompetence. To me, Wombat's contract was incompetence. Getting F'ed on the Kwitter trade was par for the course (and "bad luck" due to his "group" picking damaging the franchise to force their way out), but throwing in Green, essentially for free was incompetence. Morris (and the Bertans trade) may have been "bad luck", but Demarre Carroll (and Rudy Gay) is incompetence... A franchise is a three legged stool a) Drafting, b) Free Agency and c) Trades - if one leg goes rotten, the stool collapses. Our FA work has been terrible for several offseasons in a row now...

...that started with the Gasol/Wombat re-signing while Kiwi was on the squad. He did to the Sperms/ShittyFO what Ice Cube did to NWA/Ruthless.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 01:12 AM
I really am just a stupid, lying, butthurt fool.

That's the way it goes.

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 01:14 AM
That's the way it goes.

This......is just sad. I mean, it’s not a big deal was just poking fun since you are kind of jerky. All love though - I will leave you alone.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 01:16 AM
I really am just a butthurt nitwit.

At least you're facing reality.

Dingle Barry
03-11-2020, 01:17 AM
It still boggles my mind, those Patty and Pau contracts. And as I recall, the offer and agreement happened right at midnight of free agency...they just couldn't wait to wrap those bad boys up.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 01:43 AM
Ok, it's time to piss everyone off. For the right price, I'd be willing to extend Demar. The right price being 3yrs at <$80m, or 4 yrs at < $100m...

Since DDR has a player option for $27.7 million, he won't take less than that, from the Spurs, for next season. His agent would whomp him senseless with a clipboard.

I suppose the Spurs decided to trade Kawhi for DDR because DDR offered 20 points per game. That's turned out to be correct. He does provide 20 ppg, very reliably, and even a bit more. The problem is with the other baggage you get with DDR. Perhaps Pop thought the Spurs system, and culture, could handle the rest of it. No such luck.

The only way it might make sense to keep DDR, beyond next season, would be to offer him a two-year deal at $12 million per, to be part of the bench unit. If he didn't like that, goodbye.

But I'd prefer to tell him goodbye, anyway. Whatever the future may hold, it's time to move on.

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 01:58 AM
He’s doing it again! Stop it.

gambit1990
03-11-2020, 03:12 AM
i wonder what the spurs plan b for kawhi was. if TOR wouldn’t move demar.

cd021
03-11-2020, 03:58 AM

Actually if that happened Kawhi would've still been under contract as opposed to becoming a free agent because he chose to sit out an entire season. He would've screwed up his career.

duncan2k5
03-11-2020, 05:24 AM
Gtfoh... He isn't a spur and should have never been traded for

Dejounte
03-11-2020, 07:10 AM
People dont want to admit it, but Lyles' trade value has gone up recently. Hes proving to be a valuable piece.

Keldon is the same height as DeMar. DeMar can be the Richard Jefferson to Keldon's Kawhi. Addition by subtraction even if you lose him for nothing. Or package him with Lyles for a vet.

Keldon's going to be a star in the mold of Harden. Ive been saying it since he got drafted. He is going to be a more defensive version of Harden, obviously not as good offensively but similar ways to score.

XDT76
03-11-2020, 08:02 AM

We got Keldon

Prime BEEF
03-11-2020, 08:05 AM
We got Keldon
Yes, we traded Kawhi and DG for KJ. Was that an excellent deal? Not KJ’s fault but the FO sucks.

Prime BEEF
03-11-2020, 08:07 AM
People dont want to admit it, but Lyles' trade value has gone up recently. Hes proving to be a valuable piece.

Keldon is the same height as DeMar. DeMar can be the Richard Jefferson to Keldon's Kawhi. Addition by subtraction even if you lose him for nothing. Or package him with Lyles for a vet.

Keldon's going to be a star in the mold of Harden. Ive been saying it since he got drafted. He is going to be a more defensive version of Harden, obviously not as good offensively but similar ways to score.
I hope KJ can improve his jump shot a little bit. If so, he might be a solid backup SG for us. No more Marco or Patty.

Das Texan
03-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Good. Leave.

Dejounte
03-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Yes, we traded Kawhi and DG for KJ. Was that an excellent deal? Not KJ’s fault but the FO sucks.

You forgot Poetl who has pretty good potential too and can be a foundational piece for a team.

RD2191
03-11-2020, 09:16 AM
LMA can get the fuck out too tbh

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 09:17 AM

It's called sunk costs. The deal is done, nothing they can do about that now. They can either move on, or waste even more seasons trying to make that past deal look better. Companies die from throwing more and more resources at their bad decisions, mostly because management doesn't want to look like they made a mistake.

When you've dug yourself into a hole... stop digging.

exstatic
03-11-2020, 09:22 AM
It's called sunk costs. The deal is done, nothing they can do about that now. They can either move on, or waste even more seasons trying to make that past deal look better. Companies die from throwing more and more resources at their bad decisions, mostly because management doesn't want to look like they made a mistake.

This. Do you keep paying a salary or salaries of a player or players who keep getting less talented, just to keep some asset on the books from that trade? I think the Spurs offering an extension that they probably knew he would turn down is just a smokescreen to pave the way for him to leave.

My though was never that the Spurs were building around DD/LMA, but that they were a bridge to the future, when the kids are ready, to keep in playoff mode. That's out the window now. Time to move on. Let DD walk, and flip LMA for decent short contracts, and a first rounder, back to Portland.

XDT76
03-11-2020, 09:24 AM

Agreed, when KL is determine to leave the Spurs is destined to be on the losing end. At least we have KJ and Poeltl still with us, or at least KJ if Poeltl was priced out. We do not have to justify bad deal with a worse deal.

XDT76
03-11-2020, 09:25 AM
Now for the bad news DDR said it's not true.

exstatic
03-11-2020, 09:41 AM
Now for the bad news DDR said it's not true.

Link or source?

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 10:08 AM
TBH, guys, this is a totally shit FA class. DeRozan is never going to have a better opportunity to get a multi-year deal at a higher salary than his one-year opt in price. If he did say that, he probably did the Spurs a favor, just letting them know where he stands.

I still don't know if he even said it, though. Looks like Chris B. Haynes made the comment last night, and a bunch of other people picked up on it. Why would Chris B. Haynes know and no one else? I also saw someone covering the Nets say that "a source close to DeRozan" said so, but he was speculating that DDR will go to the Nets. Rumors worth about what you pay for them.

r0drig0lac
03-11-2020, 10:22 AM
TBH, guys, this is a totally shit FA class. DeRozan is never going to have a better opportunity to get a multi-year deal at a higher salary than his one-year opt in price. If he did say that, he probably did the Spurs a favor, just letting them know where he stands.

I still don't know if he even said it, though. Looks like Chris B. Haynes made the comment last night, and a bunch of other people picked up on it. Why would Chris B. Haynes know and no one else? I also saw someone covering the Nets say that "a source close to DeRozan" said so, but he was speculating that DDR will go to the Nets. Rumors worth about what you pay for them.

well, my previous scenario would be to send Aldrige to Brooklyn, getting something for Demar would be even better, if they really acquired another perimeter star*, Spencer or Levert would probably go to SA (with Taurean + salaries).

TDomination
03-11-2020, 10:24 AM
Link or source?
i saw that too, i believe he said it after the game

though it could be true but he's just downplaying it

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 10:43 AM
well, my previous scenario would be to send Aldrige to Brooklyn, getting something for Demar would be even better, if they really acquired another perimeter star*, Spencer or Levert would probably go to SA (with Taurean + salaries).

I can't imagine why anyone would send the Spurs a better player in exchange for DDR. And if DeRozan were to opt in, nobody is going to give up a hell of a lot for a one year rental on him. So the oly way to get anything would be a S&T, and the very best case there would be taking someone's bad contract, in order to possibly get another player they might use.

That's why I mentioned Horford and Thybulle. The Sixers are sick, and Horford's contract is looking bad right now. He doesn't fit with Embiid, and they need to spin him and try to get someone else. No - they HAVE to move him, because they are clearly going to build around Embiid. Thybulle has been a good defender, but not getting a lot of offensive production (as expected in his first year). I THINK that those two could offset an extended DDR in a sign and trade - I'm pretty sure the numbers could be worked out with some ballast, no matter what.

I think that's what "getting something in exchange for DDR" means (at best). It doesn't mean taking on 3-4 desirable mid-tier players. It means taking on at least one big contract to balance salaries, and that big contract isn't going to be someone better than DDR. The Horford/Thybulle deal is probably wishful thinking, but that is by far as good as it gets.

If he really is going to opt out if he doesn't get a multi-year extension? Letting him walk is probably the best option.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-11-2020, 11:15 AM
Enjoy New York, DeMar!

lmbebo
03-11-2020, 11:45 AM
DeMar DeRozan, on report during TNT broadcast he would opt out this summer if he and the Spurs don't come to an agreement on an extension: "Did my momma say it? Then don't listen to it."

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 12:26 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would send the Spurs a better player in exchange for DDR. ...

Yeah, that's hard to picture. However, it isn't really a question of "better than DDR," but rather "better for the Spurs." On that basis there are more possibilities.

The Spurs need:

A starting-quality center, as LMA's career approaches its end.

A starting-quality power forward, as Gay's career, ditto.

A genuine NBA-quality small forward.

Getting any of those for DDR would probably help the team, even if the player, himself, is not "better than DDR" at scoring.

And if DeRozan were to opt in, nobody is going to give up a hell of a lot for a one year rental on him. ...

There wouldn't be anything stopping another team from negotiating their own deal with him. But yes, if DDR opts in, the Spurs will have him for the entire season, almost certainly. That's unless the Spurs' whole approach to trades changes dramatically under a new head coach.

That's why I mentioned Horford and Thybulle. The Sixers are sick, and Horford's contract is looking bad right now. ...

Horford is an interesting possibility, but he'll be 34 at the start of next season. Youth would be better. Then, I suspect the 76ers want long-range shooting, which would rule out dumbass DDR for them. The idiot would rather sit in a Jack-in-the-box parking lot all night than try a 3pt shot.

Prime BEEF
03-11-2020, 12:36 PM
You forgot Poetl who has pretty good potential too and can be a foundational piece for a team.
The spurs are not going to match the offers that he’ll get. So all that’s left is KJ.

I’ve stated my thoughts on Poetl before, guess I should’ve included that again in my comment.

TimDunkem
03-11-2020, 12:50 PM
Oh you DIDNT SAY that

He did.

look_at_g_shred
03-11-2020, 12:53 PM
I hope KJ can improve his jump shot a little bit. If so, he might be a solid backup SG for us. No more Marco or Patty.
He's ALREADY the best SG we have currently, as advertised.

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Yeah, that's hard to picture. However, it isn't really a question of "better than DDR," but rather "better for the Spurs." On that basis there are more possibilities.

Edit: I didn't notice who I was trying to talk to. You're the one that's been making the fake quotes under DPG's name, like that's a cute thing to do? I'm not going to try to seriously talk hoops with anyone who does that. Just stop it.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 01:08 PM
Edit: I didn't notice who I was trying to talk to. You're the one that's been making the fake quotes under DPG's name, like that's a cute thing to do? I'm not going to try to seriously talk hoops with anyone who does that. Just stop it.

Oh, DPG just wanted to fuss. He wasn't honestly trying to talk basketball, so I didn't either. And like you always talk basketball, har har.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 01:09 PM
He did.

Nope. What DPG posted was a lie.

rjv
03-11-2020, 01:24 PM

Makes sense since the Knicks needs a playmaker and they're dumb enough to overpay him.

knicks and derozan are perfect for one another.

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Oh, DPG just wanted to fuss. He wasn't honestly trying to talk basketball, so I didn't either. And like you always talk basketball, har har.

Yeah, well, that's me innit? I have higher expectations for others. :lol

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Yeah, well, that's me innit? I have higher expectations for others. :lol

True, that we should all aspire to greatness, with the encouragement of our fellow mortals and the occasional deity.

TimDunkem
03-11-2020, 04:25 PM

He said DeRozan wouldn't turn down his player option and won't own it.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
03-11-2020, 04:52 PM
B9kmsWHHS0S

Chip, the GOAT shot DOCTOR helping this loser POS shoot mid range shots as GOAT and LMA play around shooting 3's:bang

Prime BEEF
03-11-2020, 05:33 PM
He's ALREADY the best SG we have currently, as advertised.
If true, then I think that says more about the team then it does about KJ.

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Nope. What DPG posted was a lie.

I posted exactly what you said :lol - how was that a lie?? Honestly.

Chillen
03-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Wow, the Kawhi trade was a disaster for the Spurs. Look what Pelicans got back for AD, they are set for years to come they have a young core to build with. Spurs should have tanked last season because Zion was going to be the #1 pick. Spurs could have got some picks for Kawhi but they opted to remain competitive instead of entering a rebuild phase.

It all worked out for the Raptors though, they ringed.

Dejounte
03-11-2020, 06:11 PM
Wow, the Kawhi trade was a disaster for the Spurs. Look what Pelicans got back for AD, they are set for years to come they have a young core to build with. Spurs should have tanked last season because Zion was going to be the #1 pick. Spurs could have got some picks for Kawhi but they opted to remain competitive instead of entering a rebuild phase.

It all worked out for the Raptors though, they ringed.

Yes, lets keep dwelling on this. Very productive. I wonder how many of yall haved moved on from your ex girlfriends?

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 06:16 PM
...so back to basketball.

Just out of curiosity, what do you all think DeRozan is looking for? What does he really believe he's going to get?

I'm trying to guess what the Spurs might be able to do with a sign and trade. But damn, with his 10 years experience the max he could get (from the Spurs) is 5/$233M. Even a new team could give him somewhere around 4/$173. Surely he doesn't think he's worth a max extension, does he?

Chomag
03-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Demar is pretty good as long as you leave him in the locker room in the 4th.

tbdog
03-11-2020, 06:21 PM

Just out of curiosity, what do you all think DeRozan is looking for? What does he really believe he's going to get?

I'm trying to guess what the Spurs might be able to do with a sign and trade. But damn, with his 10 years experience the max he could get (from the Spurs) is 5/$233M. Even a new team could give him somewhere around 4/$173. Surely he doesn't think he's worth a max extension, does he?

No good teams have cash. Every agent is saying the Hawks want their client. Spurs probably want him to take a 3 year deal.

look_at_g_shred
03-11-2020, 06:24 PM
If true, then I think that says more about the team then it does about KJ.
Yeah of course it does lol

EasyMoney
03-11-2020, 06:30 PM
The anthony davis trade was different. He didnt tank his trade value and have a mysterious injury to where he missed 90% of the season before.

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 06:37 PM

He absolutely thinks he’s worth the max. He will also likely be a top 3 “talent” in this free agency class. A bad team will have to overpay to get him. But my guess is around 25M a year.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 07:04 PM
He said DeRozan wouldn't turn down his player option and won't own it.

Nope, that is wrong. That is not what DPG and I disagreed about.

JeffDuncan
03-11-2020, 07:08 PM
I'm a lying sack of shit.

Yes, you are.

What you posted was this:
"JeffDuncan - didn’t you say Derozan wasn’t giving up 27M and that SA was obligated to pay him no matter what "

No, I never said that, you lying sack of shit.

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 07:33 PM
He absolutely thinks he’s worth the max. He will also likely be a top 3 “talent” in this free agency class. A bad team will have to overpay to get him. But my guess is around 25M a year.

A 4 year deal starting at $25M, with the max 5% raises is worth about $108M. So if the Spurs gave him 3/$80 beyond next year's option, it would be the same amount of money. They could set it up starting at $24.5M with the 8% raises, to maximize cap space in 21-22, and he would get the same total amount as if he got a 4 year deal starting at $25M somewhere else.

If he would take that 3/$80M extension, it makes sense to keep him. If someone like the Hawks wants to give him like $4/150, or even $4/130, the Spurs can't afford any S&T. They need to just let him go and save up space for 21-22.

slick'81
03-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Spurs should not consider extending demar. Bite the bullet and cut the cord becaUse resigning demar will only prolong the disease

JPB
03-11-2020, 08:04 PM
If just one player is positive to Corona, that's probably an instant hiatus on the whole season. With the 2 week incubation time, he could have contaminated many other players and so on, that would take a lot of time to test everyone.

slick'81
03-11-2020, 08:07 PM
If just one player is positive to Corona, that's probably an instant hiatus on the whole season. With the 2 week incubation time, he could have contaminated many other players and that would take a lot of time to test everyone.

Yup it would be a nightmare for the nba. Especially considering theyve been playing games for weeks now

OldMan88
03-11-2020, 09:03 PM
I say adios to DDR.

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 09:28 PM
A 4 year deal starting at $25M, with the max 5% raises is worth about $108M. So if the Spurs gave him 3/$80 beyond next year's option, it would be the same amount of money. They could set it up starting at $24.5M with the 8% raises, to maximize cap space in 21-22, and he would get the same total amount as if he got a 4 year deal starting at $25M somewhere else.

If he would take that 3/$80M extension, it makes sense to keep him. If someone like the Hawks wants to give him like $4/150, or even $4/130, the Spurs can't afford any S&T. They need to just let him go and save up space for 21-22.

Hell no :lol

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 09:29 PM
Yes, you are.

What you posted was this:
"JeffDuncan - didn’t you say Derozan wasn’t giving up 27M and that SA was obligated to pay him no matter what "

No, I never said that, you lying sack of shit.

Let it go. Everyone saw what you said :lol

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Nope, that is wrong. That is not what DPG and I disagreed about.

It’s exactly what we disagreed about. I posted my responses explaining why he would have reasons to opt out of his 27M to secure more guaranteed total money even :lol

TimDunkem
03-11-2020, 09:32 PM
It’s exactly what we disagreed about. I posted my responses explaining why he would have reasons to opt out of his 27M to secure more guaranteed total money even :lol

I literally joined in on that discussion and he's here telling me that it was never said. Jfc :lol

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 09:38 PM
I literally joined in on that discussion and he's here telling me that it was never said. Jfc :lol

He’s a weird cat. But he’s a Spurs fan so by law we have to love him.

ZeusWillJudge
03-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Hell no :lol

They owe him right at $28M next year if he were to opt in. You wouldn't take him for 4 years (including next year) for a total of $100M?

That makes next year look pretty bleak. If they let DDR go for nothing, sign Forbes like I think they will, and Pay their rookie, they'll have maybe $10M-$14M to hire a player. If they re-sign Poeltl, the biggest chunk of money they will have to sign a player to replace DeRozan will be the MLE.

So if they let DDR walk for nothing, they might as well go ahead and move Aldridge. It's gonna get ugly up in here for a while.

DPG21920
03-11-2020, 10:22 PM
That’s what I’m hoping.

Seventyniner
03-11-2020, 11:27 PM
They owe him right at $28M next year if he were to opt in. You wouldn't take him for 4 years (including next year) for a total of $100M?

That makes next year look pretty bleak. If they let DDR go for nothing, sign Forbes like I think they will, and Pay their rookie, they'll have maybe $10M-$14M to hire a player. If they re-sign Poeltl, the biggest chunk of money they will have to sign a player to replace DeRozan will be the MLE.

So if they let DDR walk for nothing, they might as well go ahead and move Aldridge. It's gonna get ugly up in here for a while.

I always thought the Spurs were trying to line up cap space for 2021. What would further that goal is letting DDR walk and signing Marcus Morris-type deals (lol) for one big year of guaranteed salary and a non-guaranteed second year.

If the Spurs do end up extending DDR (or re-signing if he opts out) I will be very confused. Then again I can't understand many other decisions they have made so who knows.

Payote75
03-12-2020, 12:24 AM
He is a weird player he will never be the guy but he is a good player just not a leader or clutch. However that being said how would a sign and trade work? I would take Lavert or Dinwiddle or work out a bigger deal try and get both. I live in my and with Kylie and Durant they won't fit and the team has kind of been stripped from them because of those two not to mention those two had Atkinson fired. So if a sign and trade is possible at this point I'd take anything we could get.

tbdog
03-12-2020, 02:44 AM
I always thought the Spurs were trying to line up cap space for 2021. What would further that goal is letting DDR walk and signing Marcus Morris-type deals (lol) for one big year of guaranteed salary and a non-guaranteed second year.

If the Spurs do end up extending DDR (or re-signing if he opts out) I will be very confused. Then again I can't understand many other decisions they have made so who knows.

Spurs would still have cap space, but obviously maxing DD would hurt.

Players under contract for 2021 season

Walker
Samanic
Murray
Johnson
2020 Rookie
2021 Rookie

Possible extensions:
Poeltl
White

Dead Money

Carroll 1.2mil

Expired contracts with capholds:
LMA
Gay
Mills
Lyles

Drom John
03-12-2020, 09:40 AM
Salary cap is coming down hard.
IMO, the only rational choice is for DeRozan to opt in.

SpurSpike
03-12-2020, 09:57 AM

Good point. Teams will be looking to save money if the cap drops and there were already few teams that could afford to pay DDR what he wants. Hell some teams may even need to cut or trade players just to remain under the cap.

ZeusWillJudge
03-12-2020, 10:14 AM

Oh they are. Or at least that's supposed to be the plan. I was mostly just being sure everybody understands what that would look like, and just how ugly next year could be. If they go and hire a couple of mid-tier guys as filler, even to 2-year contracts, it's still going to be eating up cap for 2021. So if they're going to stay pure on the "plan", it's going to mean playing mostly the young guys, and maybe picking up a scrap heap player on a 1-year deal. (Or more than one, depending on what they do about Poeltl, Forbes, and Beli.

They've got to fill next year's roster. And it's going to be hard to do that without infringing on 2021's Ultimate Cap Space Plan. Not to mention the fact that White, Mills, and Lyles expire next year. Not ot mention the challenge of luring a max player to a small market without any other name players on the roster.

vavvi
03-12-2020, 11:31 AM

Never underestimate the Knicks!

TD 21
03-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Is this supposed to be a threat/warning from him/his representation to the Spurs? As bad as it would suck to lose him for nothing and as much ridicule as they'd deserve for it, it still beats extending him.

This talk of, so long as it fits within' certain parameters, it's fine; that's nonsense. This is a flawed, aging player, who already will have a narrow market, which is likely to further depreciate in relatively short order. Plus, there's the possibility of him suffering a career altering injury.

Obviously, the hope is that it's in his best interest to work with the organization on a sign and trade, but if push comes to shove let him walk.

Brazil
03-12-2020, 04:10 PM
:lol who cares ? the world is ending tbh

Prose
03-12-2020, 08:56 PM

No he is not

Prose
03-12-2020, 08:57 PM

he is not even in the same convo as Aaron freaking "thanks mayn" Baynes

Seventyniner
03-12-2020, 09:08 PM
Oh they are. Or at least that's supposed to be the plan. I was mostly just being sure everybody understands what that would look like, and just how ugly next year could be. If they go and hire a couple of mid-tier guys as filler, even to 2-year contracts, it's still going to be eating up cap for 2021. So if they're going to stay pure on the "plan", it's going to mean playing mostly the young guys, and maybe picking up a scrap heap player on a 1-year deal. (Or more than one, depending on what they do about Poeltl, Forbes, and Beli.

They've got to fill next year's roster. And it's going to be hard to do that without infringing on 2021's Ultimate Cap Space Plan. Not to mention the fact that White, Mills, and Lyles expire next year. Not ot mention the challenge of luring a max player to a small market without any other name players on the roster.

Next year being ugly will be much easier to stomach if we expect it going in. I think going 23-59 next year would go down much more easily than going 35-47 this year if it seems like there's a plan.

You're right that guys like White and Lyles will eat into 2021's cap space. I'm more talking about extending DDR rather than letting him walk.

I think the Spurs will have to follow the Utah path to putting together a decent team: hit in the draft and lure mid-rage free agents, while perhaps making a shrewd trade or two. Unfortunately, as good as the Spurs FO has been in the draft, the free agency and trade decisions have tended to be poor.

duncan2k5
03-13-2020, 11:01 AM

Who cares? We don't want him

duncan2k5
03-13-2020, 11:02 AM
The anthony davis trade was different. He didnt tank his trade value and have a mysterious injury to where he missed 90% of the season before.

He did tank it...he said only LA

spurraider21
03-13-2020, 04:16 PM
this team is not going to be competitive with derozan. they may not be competitive without him right now either, but i'd rather have the resources to at least try to go in another direction than committing to a ceiling of mediocrity

TDMVPDPOY
03-13-2020, 06:13 PM
too many empty stat padders in the league who are not winning players...its best if the spurs get rid of his ass for pieces or draft picks...

DPG21920
03-13-2020, 06:32 PM
Jabari Young: Derozan Unhappy in SA

Dverde
03-13-2020, 06:44 PM
Jabari Young: Derozan Unhappy in SA

Jabari just trolling. No one talks to that clown anymore

ulosturedge
03-13-2020, 06:58 PM
If we could get a protected first round draft pick out of Demar I'd be happy with that. Either way let him walk. Can't build a team around him.

bic50
03-13-2020, 07:00 PM
Demar never wanted to be here anyway. Let him go.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-13-2020, 07:22 PM
Lol wtf is Jabari smoking that makes him think Miami’s big 3 would be Butler, Derozan and..... Iguodala?

wildbill2u
03-13-2020, 07:24 PM

Whoa! Did they rehire Isaiah Thomas when I wasn't looking? I bet we could tie in a couple of our other stars if he is around. [snark on]

Leetonidas
03-13-2020, 07:41 PM
Lol wtf is Jabari smoking that makes him think Miami’s big 3 would be Butler, Derozan and..... Iguodala?

You realize they had another all star in Bam Adebayo on their roster right

Joseph Kony
03-13-2020, 07:54 PM
"DeRozan isnt happy in San Antonio"

the feeling is mutual bitch

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-13-2020, 07:56 PM
You realize they had another all star in Bam Adebayo on their roster right

You realize I’m not Jabari right?

XDT76
03-13-2020, 08:36 PM
Since he is not happy, send him to bench and starts playing the younger players

slick'81
03-13-2020, 08:41 PM
Lmao at people wanting to extend this loser cancer,and ungrateful fck

GAustex
03-13-2020, 08:46 PM
And poop traded the best player in the league, Danny Green and cash for this POS and JP and a pick

slick'81
03-13-2020, 08:48 PM
And poop traded the best player in the league, Danny Green and cash for this POS and JP and a pick

Tor is still probably celebrating the fact they got rid of this depressed loser

GAustex
03-13-2020, 10:33 PM
The stank of DDR and poop wafts through the team fouling everything. Discouraging the young and disinteresting the elders. Many fans just shake their heads and wonder how things not so long ago were Ok but now are not. Other fans have just left disenchanted with the team and sport.

It is so clear those two need to go along with a few notorious underperformers.

Who will be the hero to save our cherished Spurs? A bold owner needs to rise up.

spurs10
03-14-2020, 01:59 AM
DDR just posted "Who comes up with this shit?" :)

slick'81
03-14-2020, 02:47 AM

well that does it! 4 years at $100 mil extension coming up

JPB
03-14-2020, 04:18 AM

Was probably talking about Bryn tbh, or maybe struggling in the bathroom I don't know.

tbdog
03-14-2020, 07:13 AM
He has been the Spurs best, most consistent player. Not worth a max but worth a solid contract. But he doesn't work with our youth so it does make sense to move on.

acoelho1
03-14-2020, 08:17 AM
I take everything Jabari says with the grain of salt. However, one thing I do agree on is the team doesn’t look happy playing together. There doesn’t seem to be any joy and I put the blame squarely on Pop. I think he’s done a great job on alienating all our young guys by his insistence on playing Forbes big minutes and not holding DDR accountable for his lack of defense and 3pt shooting. I’m so sick of DDR and LMA’s negative body language. They aren’t leaders and I can’t wait until we transition from these losers.

dbestpro
03-14-2020, 12:30 PM
This has sign and trade written all over it.

Fusternino
03-14-2020, 12:55 PM
I am really one of the few who would be OK with a 3/75 extension? The 2021 FA class? No one would sign with us even when we were good . . .

DPG21920
03-14-2020, 01:36 PM
I am really one of the few who would be OK with a 3/75 extension? The 2021 FA class? No one would sign with us even when we were good . . .

Question: in any other aspect in your life would you pay more/buy more of something that you didn’t like or didn’t work just because on paper it was a decent value?

“I bought this tool for the job that was kind of expensive and it was a bad tool and it broke. But I bought the same tool that didn’t work again for the job because it was on sale”

koriwhat
03-14-2020, 01:45 PM
let him walk... fuck it!

slick'81
03-14-2020, 04:29 PM
He has been the Spurs best, most consistent player. Not worth a max but worth a solid contract. But he doesn't work with our youth so it does make sense to move on.

Who gives a shit? We can barely make the playoffs with this cancer

Leetonidas
03-14-2020, 04:30 PM

Yes.

cd021
03-14-2020, 04:48 PM
That means that he'd be under contract for the next four seasons, not interested in that at all.

SpursDynasty85
03-14-2020, 04:50 PM

His defense is too inefficient. Offense is streaky and limited because he has no 3 pointer. He's worth $18M/yr tops.

slick'81
03-14-2020, 04:54 PM
His defense is too inefficient. Offense is streaky and limited because he has no 3 pointer. He's worth $18M/yr tops.

Actually agree with you for once

tbdog
03-14-2020, 05:11 PM

I wanted him to sign LMA contract of 77mil for 3 years. But the cap has gone up since then. So 88 over 3 then :D

Sugus
03-14-2020, 05:26 PM
A S&T that would allow us to get anything at all back for DeRozan would be good, but at this point it's just a net positive to get rid of him even if we gain nothing back. Get the ball to the young players, put them together on the court with a good development coach, and play out next season to see what you have in them. Who's to be replaced and who built around. Can't wait to see it...

OldMan88
03-15-2020, 01:12 AM
Bye Demar. Watch the door doesn’t hit you.

cd021
03-15-2020, 01:55 AM
A S&T that would allow us to get anything at all back for DeRozan would be good, but at this point it's just a net positive to get rid of him even if we gain nothing back. Get the ball to the young players, put them together on the court with a good development coach, and play out next season to see what you have in them. Who's to be replaced and who built around. Can't wait to see it...

If the Knicks rumor is true then they'd need an S&T to get him but outside of Julius Randle there are not decent players that the Spurs would want.

XDT76
03-15-2020, 02:21 AM
To me there is no good reason to bring him back. Don't get me wrong he is a very good player, but at best he is a harden or Westbrook lite lite player and teams led by those 2 are not even close to any championship. If we are contented to just be in playoff, I felt that with Murray, White, Walker and KJ we would have enough with a few more decent players to be there. Thus throwing 20+, 30M a year at DDR just does not make sense.

InRareForm
03-16-2020, 01:55 PM
This would be the worst sports day if Hopkins got traded and DeRozan and spurs agree to a max extension

slick'81
03-19-2020, 07:12 PM
derozan's reign of terror on spurs continues

Slippy
03-19-2020, 07:50 PM

This. Off the bench, instant scorer and playmaker is the role best suited for him.

KobesAchilles
03-19-2020, 10:58 PM
Idgaf about DeRozan tbh. We could have Kawhi back and it wouldn’t matter as long as we are starting Bryn fucking Forbes. Forbes is the one who I’m hoping is gone. DeRozan is on the back burner for me until I know the Bryn situation

SpursDynasty85
03-20-2020, 09:22 AM
Idgaf about DeRozan tbh. We could have Kawhi back and it wouldn’t matter as long as we are starting Bryn fucking Forbes. Forbes is the one who I’m hoping is gone. DeRozan is on the back burner for me until I know the Bryn situation

I'm pretty sure this season has been almost all about Derozan's trade/free agent value. Unfortunately we just suck this year and starting Bryn is a big reason plus White/Lonnie/Murray combination of injury/injury-prone/being too young this year. Bryn still spreads the floor better and allows Demar's numbers to look better which gives the Spurs a better chance at trading him for some value. One of the weirdest transition years but getting a lottery pick on top of some already decent prospects is semi-decent transition compared to those weird 76ers and Phoenix rebuilding years.

illusioNtEk
03-22-2020, 02:57 AM
Fuck yea!!! Let’s max the shit out of him because this 30 game win team is fucking badass bruhhh!!

lmbebo
04-02-2020, 08:45 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-demar-derozan-unhappy-spurs-033013924.html

Makes it sound like DeMar will opt in now due to corona, dropping basketball income, etc

UZER
04-02-2020, 09:30 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-demar-derozan-unhappy-spurs-033013924.html

Makes it sound like DeMar will opt in now due to corona, dropping basketball income, etc

:lol Spurs

can’t get rid of Pop
can’t get rid of Aldridge
cant get rid of Derozen
won’t get rid of Forbes
made Patty team culture spokesman, so he ain’t going anywhere

Duncan87
04-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Be a huge expiring trade boat at deadline or beginning of season

Prose
04-02-2020, 12:34 PM
its not about signing anybody in 2021, its about moving the fuck on form him and his overpaid contract and rebuilding with youth

Prose
04-02-2020, 12:36 PM
This. Off the bench, instant scorer and playmaker is the role best suited for him.

exactly but his ego can't take it

cd98
04-02-2020, 02:50 PM
I predict DeMar opts in. And then leaves as a free agent the following year. I'm good with that. He will have to establish his value, so he will play hard next year. But he is off the Spurs timeline now. They are better off going into rebuilt because he isn't good enough to make them contenders.

slick'81
04-02-2020, 05:22 PM
Fckn faggot only staying for the money...hopefully spurs dump his ass to the east

DPG21920
04-02-2020, 07:28 PM
Fckn faggot only staying for the money...hopefully spurs dump his ass to the east

So silly. Why be mad at DeRozan for choosing to get his money on a perfectly valid contract?

He didn’t ask to be traded. You want to be mad? Be mad at the brain trust of Pop, RC and Brian Wright for agreeing and pursuing that trade.

1) It’s his money and there is zero wrong with staying for the money. Beyond that, it’s not like he’s a bad person and causing public waves/issues. He’s been a good teammate and while I don’t like his game overall, he’s done what he can do. If he were being a d*ck? Sure, I can understand being mad. But he’s just doing what any rational person may do - explore his options.

2) Spurs if they don’t like it can control the situation. They choose NOT to trade him at the last deadline. Again, all angry arrows point back to Pop, RC and Brian Wright for their horrific handling of the trade (not the Kawhi part, but what they targeted and pursued and agreed to). If he does not opt out? They can trade him if they have the wherewithal to do so and he has absolutely zero say.

But this is all about the Spurs. Be mad at them, not DDR.

slick'81
04-02-2020, 07:39 PM
So silly. Why be mad at DeRozan for choosing to get his money on a perfectly valid contract?

He didn’t ask to be traded. You want to be mad? Be mad at the brain trust of Pop, RC and Brian Wright for agreeing and pursuing that trade.

1) It’s his money and there is zero wrong with staying for the money. Beyond that, it’s not like he’s a bad person and causing public waves/issues. He’s been a good teammate and while I don’t like his game overall, he’s done what he can do. If he were being a d*ck? Sure, I can understand being mad. But he’s just doing what any rational person may do - explore his options.

2) Spurs if they don’t like it can control the situation. They choose NOT to trade him at the last deadline. Again, all angry arrows point back to Pop, RC and Brian Wright for their horrific handling of the trade (not the Kawhi part, but what they targeted and pursued and agreed to). If he does not opt out? They can trade him if they have the wherewithal to do so and he has absolutely zero say.

But this is all about the Spurs. Be mad at them, not DDR.

Fck him,and his game,tbh. I hate his emo personality,and constant whining on the court. His hero ball/choking,and being able to let players get in his head so easily.Every spur player is a good teammate,wtf does that matter? Obviously the spurs fo is at fault,but they aint going anywhere so we might as well dump decancer

talkspurs
04-02-2020, 07:41 PM
I am really hoping he goes to the Nets in a trade. They are looking for a third star and if he was ok with it could sign an extension still get this money and be traded. I dont want us to trade him just to trade him but I think we could get a good trade from them.

UncleDennis
04-06-2020, 08:30 AM
I am really hoping he goes to the Nets in a trade. They are looking for a third star and if he was ok with it could sign an extension still get this money and be traded. I dont want us to trade him just to trade him but I think we could get a good trade from them.

That actually wouldn't be a bad spot for him. Somewhere he would fit into a clear third option role. Very few places could accommodate him, maybe the warriors with Curry and Thompson able to cover for his lack of 3 point shooting. Problem is he is such a defensive zero, no outside shot and despite having all the tools being such a non-factor on defense is downright criminal for how much he makes.

talkspurs
04-06-2020, 02:07 PM
That actually wouldn't be a bad spot for him. Somewhere he would fit into a clear third option role. Very few places could accommodate him, maybe the warriors with Curry and Thompson able to cover for his lack of 3 point shooting. Problem is he is such a defensive zero, no outside shot and despite having all the tools being such a non-factor on defense is downright criminal for how much he makes.

He also would be with 3 good shooters in Durant Irving and either harris or levert. Only non shooter he would be with would be Jordan. He can also handle the ball when Irving is not in the game.

TD 21
04-06-2020, 02:49 PM
He also would be with 3 good shooters in Durant Irving and either harris or levert. Only non shooter he would be with would be Jordan. He can also handle the ball when Irving is not in the game.

DeRozan can't be a third option because of inability to space the floor (or even attempt to). He's also a poor defender and their core isn't exactly teeming with stout defenders.

Also, why would they limit the amount of on ball time two clearly superior offensive options receive in order to accommodate a pseudo star?

The only teams he's a potential fit for, are wannabe "competitive" types in non glamour markets.

spurraider21
04-06-2020, 05:19 PM
covid strikes again

talkspurs
04-06-2020, 07:39 PM
DeRozan can't be a third option because of inability to space the floor (or even attempt to). He's also a poor defender and their core isn't exactly teeming with stout defenders.

Also, why would they limit the amount of on ball time two clearly superior offensive options receive in order to accommodate a pseudo star?

The only teams he's a potential fit for, are wannabe "competitive" types in non glamour markets.

I dont see why he cant be a third option without shooting the 3. I agree that he is not a floor spacer but he still has value and could be on a good team.

I also think his poor defense is overblown. This may be because I think he is far better then forbes. I would not cal him a good defender but I would not call him a poor defender either.

They will still need to share the ball and durant and irving will not play 48 min a game. It would not surprise me for them to both miss time again next year but I bet the Nets would not plan on this.

cd021
04-07-2020, 04:54 AM
I dont see why he cant be a third option without shooting the 3. I agree that he is not a floor spacer but he still has value and could be on a good team.

I also think his poor defense is overblown. This may be because I think he is far better then forbes. I would not cal him a good defender but I would not call him a poor defender either.

They will still need to share the ball and durant and irving will not play 48 min a game. It would not surprise me for them to both miss time again next year but I bet the Nets would not plan on this.

Nope, he's bad defender and has been for his career. This season he ranked 91st out of 98th in DRPM among SF's.