PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Lakers - Jan. 1, 2021

timvp
01-01-2021, 11:52 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-los-angeles-lakers-game-5/

It turns out that it's difficult to beat a team that has two of the five best players in the league.

Dejounte
01-01-2021, 11:58 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1345231984008769536

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1345229786927542274

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1345229566000902144

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1345231419900104704

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1345226615018708992

https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1345226577215442945

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1345226108350963714

https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1345225995545169920

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1345225853018451968

poopbox
01-02-2021, 12:03 AM
Derozan with all these quotes about the young guys like he himself is some 3 time champ instead of being lebron's post nut wipe off towel :lol

It always kills me when players who are known for coming up short in winning time talk about young guys learning what to do in winning time...

"These young guys are so great and learning so much that is why with the game on the line I took a baseline jumpshot instead of getting one of them the ball" :lol

John B
01-02-2021, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the grades. I’m not so disappointed with the team effort especially the young guys. I’m more concerned about Pop’s not matching the Lakers’ bigs with our bigs. I really thought I would see any of Luka, Diop and even Kyle. I mean where is the extent of Pop putting in doghouse? We needed rebounds tonight that could’ve tip some to our advantage. Also Pop needs to draw plays for our bigs, PNR, post, etc. Zero points for our centers would never cut it.

siraulo23
01-02-2021, 12:11 AM
Poeltl yikes.
Derozan, ok but a couple of poor decisions down the stretch.
Keldon - hell yea
Murray - ok
Gay - made a couple of shots but otherwise trash, took some bad shots

PhantomDashCam
01-02-2021, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the grades OP.
Thought these were on point.
With the G league bubble in Florida gaining momentum, Spurs will have a tough decision to make re: sending Vassell there.

Mugen
01-02-2021, 12:24 AM
I hate Rudy's game tbh. He's basically the only true 4 this team has in today's NBA but I just hate everything about his shot selection and overall offensive approach :lol

spurraider21
01-02-2021, 12:38 AM
I hate Rudy's game tbh. He's basically the only true 4 this team has in today's NBA but I just hate everything about his shot selection and overall offensive approach :lol
yeah... his game can get pretty ugly but his minutes are mandatory given our roster composition tbh

i dont mind when he bullies mismatches in the paint though

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 12:42 AM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1345240947207118854?s=19

A travesty

tonski117
01-02-2021, 12:49 AM
Pop inserted patty down the stretch again. They just needed more contributions from poetl but unfortunately its not his night. I like what i’m seeing from the young guys. But AD just couldn’t miss and had all the answers for the lakers

Truth4sale$
01-02-2021, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the grades. These last two games show the biggest weakness of the Spurs; their bigs. They all have faults and not close to being a complete player. Aldridge is too slow, Poertl is an offensive nightmare. Eubanks tries but is not ready, and Gay is hot and cold and believes if the ball lands in his hand-shoot it! Maybe time to dust off Trey Lyles, at least he rebounds.

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 12:58 AM
What's the consensus on what would have helped us win tonight:

Better offense from our two bigs (Poetl and Eubanks) or better defense from our two bigs?

If it was better offense, sure, Aldridge would have helped in that area but then defense would have been worse. (The assumption is that if we had Aldridge, Eubanks gets no minutes. Not that we play two bigs.)

So what does that say about our needs at the center position going forward?

Could Poetl eventually grow a pair and refine his offense? Unlikely, but perhaps. He's young.

paperboy77
01-02-2021, 01:12 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-los-angeles-lakers-game-5/

It turns out that it's difficult to beat a team that has two of the five best players in the league.

I gotta disagree with Murray’s grade... shoulda been a B. Overall I think it was some progress. Coulda won. Not all opponents will be the champs.

tbdog
01-02-2021, 01:15 AM
Poeltl isn't involved in the offense at all. He needs to touch the ball, make a quick hand off, set screen, roll. He is just there not involved in our half court offense. It's a fucking joke. His basically not used at all.

spurs10
01-02-2021, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the grades. Didn't like the calls by the refs down the stretch. It could have swayed the game. We were weak at the 5, but Keldon was really super. Welcome back White. Sunday will be tough, but we can surely use a win. Go Spurs!

talkspurs
01-02-2021, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the grades. I’m not so disappointed with the team effort especially the young guys. I’m more concerned about Pop’s not matching the Lakers’ bigs with our bigs. I really thought I would see any of Luka, Diop and even Kyle. I mean where is the extent of Pop putting in doghouse? We needed rebounds tonight that could’ve tip some to our advantage. Also Pop needs to draw plays for our bigs, PNR, post, etc. Zero points for our centers would never cut it.

Whos Kyle? I orignally thought KBD but you put Diop so it would not be him.

SPURSCHAMP
01-02-2021, 01:32 AM
contrary to the game thread, I actually thought DeRozan played well. Seems like he was the only player getting to the line, sure a couple decisions at the end were bad but he generally makes the right choices. Very frustrated with the way Rudy has been playing this season, his usage has been crazy high in our losses (32, 17.7, 34.7) compared to our W's (15.5, 20.9). Perhaps its bc of LMA being out but...

Truth4sale$
01-02-2021, 01:42 AM
Does Aldridge really make a difference in this game. He is not much of a defensive player. Could he really make Davis work for all those points?

offset formation
01-02-2021, 01:43 AM
Poeltl deserved an D- or F. Dude came into the off-season bemoaning wanting starter minutes and has done nothing from the preseason to now to have justified that. In fact his game seems to have regressed, despite starting 40% of the games thus far, think he got benched twice tonight. Not good play in any phase, but especially on offense. Even his defense has been horrid.
Hope it's not a case of having gotten comfortable now that he got his contract. He needs to demonstrate at least what he is capable of soon or you can already put his contract in the ruh-roh category.

XDT76
01-02-2021, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the grades. These last two games show the biggest weakness of the Spurs; their bigs. They all have faults and not close to being a complete player. Aldridge is too slow, Poertl is an offensive nightmare. Eubanks tries but is not ready, and Gay is hot and cold and believes if the ball lands in his hand-shoot it! Maybe time to dust off Trey Lyles, at least he rebounds.

Rebounds, that is the thing that I am disappointed in our bigs, they are not getting enough rebounds and not boxing out the other team. We would had won this game if we do a good job on preventing the Lakers getting OR.

phxspurfan
01-02-2021, 02:00 AM
White seemed to have a couple issues with spacing the floor down the stretch, being in other peoples zone etc. But that will come back as he gets in the lineups again and if the team can have a practice or two.

Keldon is quickly becoming a really good player. His adjustments to last game are really good and wow, very timely. Relative to last year, this was a strong showing against the best team in the league. Last year we would have lost by 20.

And I dislike Lyles very much but he would have been better than Purrtl or Eubanks probably out there. Even though I thought Eubanks did ok on switches on an island against the best player in the NBA, making him shoot 25 footers. He just happened to hit them, but what are you going to do. He's your 3rd string big making less than 2 mill a season.

tmtcsc
01-02-2021, 02:24 AM
The Lakers slept-walked through this game until it was closing time. The only bright spot tonight was Keldon Johnson. He's racking up "I'll forgive him" points for any mistakes he might make because he plays so damn hard & is fearless. Unlike Lonnie who seems to take too many possessions & nights off from being competitive. LW4 has shown some improvement but he needs to ramp it up for this team to be truly successful.

Although Derozan was good offensively, it didn't make up for how bad he was on defense. Unlike TIMVP, I thought Derozan was downright slow and lazy on defense. Just totally uninterested in playing on that side of the ball. Not sure how Poetl didn't get an F either. That was as bad as I've ever seen him play and worse yet, it seemed like he was in the game forever. Fucking Aldridge & his ghost injuries. That dude needs to go. If Atlanta is stupid enough to take him in a trade for Collins, please make that happen.

Fusternino
01-02-2021, 02:33 AM
Luka is a bust, then?

LOL.

EricB
01-02-2021, 02:36 AM
Ghost injuries ��

poopbox
01-02-2021, 03:21 AM

I feel the exact opposite about Rudy :lol

I love his shot selection and think offensively he is playing exactly how he should :lol

I have stated multiple times that if LMA played like Rudy we would might make some real noise this year :lol

Are we sure we are in the same time space continuum:lol

I also don't think he is a true 4...more if a big hybrid 3 / 4... a true 4 could bully smaller bigs and rudy can't cause he IS a smaller big...

John B
01-02-2021, 03:45 AM
Rebounds, that is the thing that I am disappointed in our bigs, they are not getting enough rebounds and not boxing out the other team. We would had won this game if we do a good job on preventing the Lakers getting OR.
Agreed. I can’t support putting the remaining bigs in doghouse when they could’ve helped with the rebounds.

tbdog
01-02-2021, 04:36 AM
We played the second biggest team in the NBA without LMA. And our other centers did nothing.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-02-2021, 05:18 AM
Positive signs. Young guys doing well, competing and the Lakers had to dig deep and play their stars 35+ mins in order to win. Can't fault Pop considering he got 0 points from the bigs against the biggest team in the league. Play with the same competitiveness and they can make it difficult for anyone. Don't care about the record, it's all about developing and they're doing a good job so far.

BillMc
01-02-2021, 05:29 AM
Bill's Concern O' Meter

Luka - Is he a bust? Can't get on the court even when short a big, when bigs are needed. Kinda lookin' bustish and I've been promoting patience.
Jakob - Opportunity knocked. Jakob shouted go away and went back to bed. What does he do that is elite for a modern big? Any 1 thing?
Lonnie - Such talent. Yet, so unwilling to fight through screens, fight through contact, often seems lost on defense and maddenly passes up open shots. Is he over thinking everything?
Devin - Pop don't burry him, Kid needs minutes, he's going to be good.
DJ - made nice strides earlier, hope White's return doesn't change his play.

szkorhetz
01-02-2021, 06:29 AM
White on James and KJ on Davis for the last 4 minutes sealed this game, TBH.

paperboy77
01-02-2021, 06:34 AM
Does Aldridge really make a difference in this game. He is not much of a defensive player. Could he really make Davis work for all those points?

He might have gotten better calls from the refs? Probably garners more respect than poodle/ubank

RC_Drunkford
01-02-2021, 07:24 AM
Poeltl isn't involved in the offense at all. He needs to touch the ball, make a quick hand off, set screen, roll. He is just there not involved in our half court offense. It's a fucking joke. His basically not used at all.

that‘s cause Poeltl can’t even post up Dennis Schröder. He has no offensive game at all and finishes like a pussy. We could’ve easily won this game if our Centers had given us a combined 8 points, but instead they gave us 0. That was the key thing tonight.

All in all I like what I‘m seeing from the team. They played well and hung with the Lakers for the entire 48
minutes. We just missed shots and our bigs suck. Like I been saying Poeltl is not a starter. He’s not able to stay on the floor for more than 25 minutes. We need a mobile big with a 3-point shot

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 07:32 AM
that‘s cause Poeltl can’t even post up Dennis Schröder. He has no offensive game at all and finishes like a pussy. We could’ve easily won this game if our Centers had given us a combined 8 points, but instead they gave us 0. That was the key thing tonight.

All in all I like what I‘m seeing from the team. They played well and hung with the Lakers for the entire 48
minutes. We just missed shots and our bigs suck. Like I been saying Poeltl is not a starter. He’s not able to stay on the floor for more than 25 minutes. We need a mobile big with a 3-point shot

Meh I don't think our big (if we're talking strictly C) NEEDS to know how to shoot 3s. That's not what's hurting us in any of our losses. That seems just like extra.

TDMVPDPOY
01-02-2021, 07:59 AM
johnson is wasting his talent on this abortion of a roster

i hope he leaves for greener pastures if the premature ejaculated front office doesnt start to remove the slow swimmers holding back talent cock blocking the bukkake waiting for the circle jerk fans of the team

Ocotillo
01-02-2021, 08:14 AM
Whos Kyle? I orignally thought KBD but you put Diop so it would not be him. I think he meant Lyles unless he was having a flashback to Slo Mo.

John B
01-02-2021, 08:23 AM
I think he meant Lyles unless he was having a flashback to Slo Mo.
Yup I meant Lyles. I don’t get it when Pop put somebody in the doghouse. We could’ve used his rebouding or outside shots. We have a 2nd year 1st pick in Luka, and another athletic big in Diop. Anyone of them could’ve rebounded. But NO, they’re in the doghouse.

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 08:27 AM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1345244202754580485?s=19

Let's see if these games lit a fire for the Spurs for the rest of the season

So far I haven't seen a game where they look defeated... Plenty of those type of games happened last season

John B
01-02-2021, 08:51 AM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1345244202754580485?s=19

Let's see if these games lit a fire for the Spurs for the rest of the season

So far I haven't seen a game where they look defeated... Plenty of those type of games happened last season
They need to figure how to incorporate the bigs in their offense. If they play as well as they played the Fakers, they can beat the Jazz.

RC_Drunkford
01-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Meh I don't think our big (if we're talking strictly C) NEEDS to know how to shoot 3s. That's not what's hurting us in any of our losses. That seems just like extra.

And that’s where you are wrong. We have a bunch of drivers who are trying to take it to the rim, so the ideal thing is to have a big who’s a 3-point threat to draw the other teams center out of the paint and make it easier for Keldon, DeMar, Lonnie, DJ and Derrick to score. Once Aldridge started shooting 3s last season, DeRozan had MJ like efficiency numbers.

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 09:30 AM
And that’s where you are wrong. We have a bunch of drivers who are trying to take it to the rim, so the ideal thing is to have a big who’s a 3-point threat to draw the other teams center out of the paint and make it easier for Keldon, DeMar, Lonnie, DJ and Derrick to score. Once Aldridge started shooting 3s last season, DeRozan had MJ like efficiency numbers.

Fair point, I guess it would have brought Davis or Gasol out making it easier to make the baskets inside.

I think whoever future big we get that CAN shoot 3s also has to play as well or better defense than Poetl. Hopefully he's not as bad as Aldridge.

Spursfanfromafar
01-02-2021, 10:03 AM
This Spurs team looks more like the typical Spurs teams coached by Pop than what we saw in the last three years. Their defensive rating in five games is bang 15th in the league, but they have also played the third toughest schedule and the 3 games they have lost include one on a SEGABABA and two to the defending champions. I am expecting them to keep up their defensive performance and move further up the defense ranks. They could well finish within the top 10 on defense and the top 15 on offense. And Pop should let Samanic get a chance somewhere against weaker teams. This team is clearly missing a big who can rebound in defense and also stretch the floor on offense to go with its wing based core at moments. Poeltl had one bad game but he has been a net positive in all the other games. Here's hoping this is just a blip for him.

ragas
01-02-2021, 10:25 AM
I hate to say it, but Poeltl seem to be a mental midget, because nobody can tell me that a NBA player isn‘t able to hit some free throws. 0/6 in two games is beyond embarassing. Either he gets his mental shit together or he should spend every single minute of the day shooting free throws. Eat, sleep, shoot ...nothing else.

As for the rest of his performance: It wasn‘t his best showing, but he also wasn‘t so bad to be limited to 20 minutes. As timvp wrote he wasn’t as aggressive as normally because of his foul troubles in game 1 against LAL. Again a mental thing. That‘s concerning. But he somehow managed to be a net positive for his team, although not being enough involved on offense. That‘s just as much on him as on his teammates to get him going. He has to be aggressive, demand the ball and be productive. He had 1 shot yesterday. That’s not enough. The Spurs should be patient with him this season, but if he doesn‘t get accustomed to a bigger role until the end of the season, he can say goodbye to playing more minutes.

NASpurs
01-02-2021, 10:35 AM
Man our bigs fucking suck :lol

The expiring contracts of Gay + Lyles should be able to net you something decent right?

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 10:37 AM
Man our bigs fucking suck :lol

The expiring contracts of Gay + Lyles should be able to net you something decent right?

If someone is trying to get rid of an albatross contract, sure. That's probably not something "decent" though since the other team considers it an albatross contract.

You have to give up something good for something good.

Expiring contracts are only good for teams trying to shed salary. Not many teams want to do that these days.

barakz21
01-02-2021, 10:37 AM
Who and when’s the next game?

Dex
01-02-2021, 10:40 AM
This Spurs team looks more like the typical Spurs teams coached by Pop than what we saw in the last three years. Their defensive rating in five games is bang 15th in the league, but they have also played the third toughest schedule and the 3 games they have lost include one on a SEGABABA and two to the defending champions. I am expecting them to keep up their defensive performance and move further up the defense ranks. They could well finish within the top 10 on defense and the top 15 on offense. And Pop should let Samanic get a chance somewhere against weaker teams. This team is clearly missing a big who can rebound in defense and also stretch the floor on offense to go with its wing based core at moments. Poeltl had one bad game but he has been a net positive in all the other games. Here's hoping this is just a blip for him.

I wonder how long LaMarcus has been dealing with the knee soreness and if that played a factor in his slow start. The team could seriously use his input but not if he continues to look like he can't even move out there.

NASpurs
01-02-2021, 10:42 AM
If someone is trying to get rid of an albatross contract, sure. That's probably not something "decent" though since the other team considers it an albatross contract.

You have to give up something good for something good.

Expiring contracts are only good for teams trying to shed salary. Not many teams want to do that these days.

That's why we can never trade. No one wants our garbage and when we have someone decent that's an actual asset, why would we get rid of him?

Which is why I laugh when people here say that someone's horrible contract will be an asset when it becomes an expiring one.

NASpurs
01-02-2021, 10:44 AM
Only way we can upgrade is in the buyout market I guess but who wants to come to a borderline playoff team.

MoSpur02
01-02-2021, 11:10 AM
Not sure who here likes Eubanks. Can imagine too many. I can’t stand his game. Not sure how he’s on a NBA roster.

MoSpur02
01-02-2021, 11:11 AM
I prefer Lyles over Eubanks. Not sure why he’s in Pop’s doghouse. That gets old.

TimDunkem
01-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Not sure who here likes Eubanks. Can imagine too many. I can’t stand his game. Not sure how he’s on a NBA roster.
Spurs are no strangers to gifting fringe prospects NBA careers.

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Sucks to lose a game like this, but it's a major learning process for the young guards. It's a big boost.

Team badly needs productive bigs. With LMA, this would be a clear victory. Poeltl was scared. Aldridge gobbles up a few of the offensive boards they got, plus scores. Too bad he's basically at the end of his storied career.

Eubanks with a C? I'm not sure. This is a third string center thrown into facing Davis and a near-HOFer (at least) in Marc Gasol and he was more effective than Poeltl.

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 11:13 AM
They need to figure how to incorporate the bigs in their offense. If they play as well as they played the Fakers, they can beat the Jazz.

The way they played last night, they can beat anybody.

Dex
01-02-2021, 11:17 AM
I prefer Lyles over Eubanks. Not sure why he’s in Pop’s doghouse. That gets old.

Lyles didn't exactly light it up in the preseason...He played 23 MPG, scored 3.6 points and 5.3 boards while shooting 1/12 from three and getting lit up on defense. He shot .200 from the field and .083 from deep.

He's played 10 minutes this season and posted -8 Plus/Minus so far.

That's not going to earn anybody a lot of minutes.

Dex
01-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Lonnie Walker IV

The good: Walker usually isn’t a player who will dribble through a crowd to get to the rim, however he did that multiple times tonight. His finishing at the rim was better and he was able to make plays when tasked with being a facilitator. The bad: Walker’s rotations weren’t good — when he wasn’t too slow, he was completely lost. His individual D was better but he wasn’t fighting around screens and the Lakers picked up on that. On offense, Walker maddeningly passed up open shots — from wide open three-pointers to point blank layups. He has to take open shots — that’s his number one job as a basketball player.
Grade: C

This is starting to become a major concern for Lonnie imo. It's like he has his mind made up what he is going to do the moment he gets the ball, and doesn't take what the defense is actually giving him.

I know this new offense is predicated on drive-and-kicks generating open looks, but Lonnie has turned down multiple wide open lanes where he could challenge the rim and just tosses the ball back out.

That's great if it leads to a wide open three-pointer, but more often than not it just resets the offense and forces someone else to try to get the same advantage that Lonnie just gave up.

I've said it before, but he plays way too passive for a guy with his abilities.

MoSpur02
01-02-2021, 11:32 AM
Lyles didn't exactly light it up in the preseason...He played 23 MPG, scored 3.6 points and 5.3 boards while shooting 1/12 from three and getting lit up on defense. He shot .200 from the field and .083 from deep.

He's played 10 minutes this season and posted -8 Plus/Minus so far.

That's not going to earn anybody a lot of minutes.

Fair enough, but let’s not kid ourselves. Eubanks shouldn’t get playing time over Lyles. He shows he hustles, but it amounts to nothing. Lyles has only played once or twice this season that I can remember and sure he didn’t light up the stat sheet, but it’s not a fair opportunity.

Dex
01-02-2021, 11:37 AM
Fair enough, but let’s not kid ourselves. Eubanks shouldn’t get playing time over Lyles. He shows he hustles, but it amounts to nothing. Lyles has only played once or twice this season that I can remember and sure he didn’t light up the stat sheet, but it’s not a fair opportunity.

It's true that those stats are based on a tiny sample size and preseason isn't a good barometer...but I also don't think giving Eubanks' minutes to Lyles is the answer. It's apples and oranges.

Eubanks is only playing because the Spurs are seriously thin at the center. Aldridge is out injured, Poeltl has trouble staying on the floor, and moving Gay over to center is a risky proposition. Sure, Lyles isn't short at 6'9, but do you think he would seriously be able to hang with Davis or Gasol?

If Lyles is going to steal minutes from anybody, it's going to be Vassell...and I'd rather Pop throw the rookie into the fire before giving those minutes to Trey.

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 11:41 AM

Eubanks should get every minute Lyles could have. Trey Lyles is basically Austin Daye at this point. He was pretty much out of the league, having not been able to cut it at Utah or Denver, squads that value bigs, and he'll be out of the league after his deal is up here. He's just not good.

Eubanks is not great, but he's at least competitive and has some ceiling. Lyles has no ceiling whatsoever. Either he goes to Europe and figures things out, or his career is over.

ismael-robert
01-02-2021, 01:26 PM
Luka is a bust, then?

LOL.

Too soon to say but look at Kyle who's finally good in his sixth year. Unlike metu who u mentioned in other thread not sure why u feel we gave up on him too soon hav u checked on him? He can't get a minute on kings roster!

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Too soon to say but look at Kyle who's finally good in his sixth year. Unlike metu who u mentioned in other thread not sure why u feel we gave up on him too soon hav u checked on him? He can't get a minute on kings roster!

Anderson was already good when he left the Spurs.

ismael-robert
01-02-2021, 01:28 PM
Who and when’s the next game?

nba.com/spurs

ismael-robert
01-02-2021, 01:31 PM
Good defense; good role player n play maker but never gave them wat they wanted offensively hence he's gone...he's finally doing wat spurs wanted

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 01:37 PM
Good defense; good role player n play maker but never gave them wat they wanted offensively hence he's gone...he's finally doing wat spurs wanted

There was the thing too about how the team was dissing him by not even offering his jersey in their stores.

exstatic
01-02-2021, 02:22 PM

He would have stopped them from getting 18 ORBs.

Elementis
01-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Not arguing Yak's offensive weakness: FT shooting with the precision of "pin the tail on the donkey" is unacceptable, and that he can't bring the ball to the rim with both hands at his size won't do it.
some of the defensive things though are a product of the line-up:
He's asked to guard the opposing PF, who was lingering around the arc most of the time, so there's no way he can do that, and at the same time be the presence under the basket he's supposed to be.
at the same time, the opposing C is guarded by a SF, so what happens on the boards isn't rocket science..

the decision for Yak to guard 1 position down, and the SF 2 up in exchange shows the flaws in the line-up. any other team would put the C on the C, and then put a SF on the PF to compensate AD's mobility. Pop was assuming that Yak was the better option on AD and the mismatch on Gasol worth it, so that gives him some credit on defense. if you let him play on Gasol, then he'll also fight for rebounds, but not from the arc..

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 02:32 PM
He would have stopped them from getting 18 ORBs.

He would have also allowed 10 wide open three point attempts by the Lakers.

phxspurfan
01-02-2021, 02:34 PM
There was the thing too about how the team was dissing him by not even offering his jersey in their stores.

who would buy a Kyle Anderson jersey

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 02:51 PM
who would buy a Kyle Anderson jersey

People on this board? Fans? But, literally, his family, who went into the apparel store in the arena. They had bench players for sale and not Anderson, who was a starter. Ridiculous.

PrimeMinister
01-02-2021, 02:55 PM
Lamarcus has been averaging 3 less rebounds a game than Jak in 5 more minutes per game this year

He's been least interested in boxing out and fighting for rebounds out of all of our bigs and it's so plainly obvious watching the games it makes me wonder if someone saying he would keep LA off the boards is actually paying attention or just going off his reputation from 4 years ago. Also- it is 2021, we don't need to be calling post ups for our Centers when all the evidence statistically and anecdotally around the league says its the least efficient form of offense. Even Jokic creates most of his offense from the arc, choosing to face up and get position down low or taking open shots. I know there's a lot of people who miss 4 down being the only thing you had to run but it's not the game anymore, and especially not the game when your bigs are Jakob and old man Aldridge.

Rebounding was definitely a problem, but when you have Keldon and Demar responsible for keeping one of Gasol or Davis off the glass it's gonna be trouble no matter who is playing center.

I just don't think there was any one problem that resulted in the loss. Patty missed a bunny, Drew missed a couple of bunnies, Jak missed 4 free throws, the team missed a total of 8 free throws. We had 16 less shot attempts than the lakers. They were able to create offense and find quality shots in the 4th while we stagnated and resorted to long 2s and lazy offense. The Lebron post up on Dwhite. Lakers getting away with murder on screens grabbing everyone and getting open shot after open shot.

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 03:10 PM

Abso-fucking-lutely. This is a win with Aldridge. Controlling the boards primarily, but being able to cover Davis, sure. Poeltl was extremely scared and dubious all game.

jjspur
01-02-2021, 03:11 PM
With every game that Keldon Johnson plays, it shows that we made the right (lucky) decision in drafting him and the bad decision the spurs made in drafting Luka Saminc, a big which we really could have used in yesterdays game. I know that the spurs like to develop their talent but Semanic is taking quite a while, and now Vassell is a young player that will take overall minutes away from one of the spurs players.

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 03:19 PM
Abso-fucking-lutely. This is a win with Aldridge. Controlling the boards primarily, but being able to cover Davis, sure. Poeltl was extremely scared and dubious all game.

Poetl was also switching onto their wings and guards. You think he can do that as well as Poetl?

KobesAchilles
01-02-2021, 04:04 PM
It sucks when we depend on our PG to secure rebounds for this team but that’s where we are at. I didn’t really have a plan for this year tbh so I’m not going to shit on everything the FO did and act like I had a better solution than they did... but I still am going to shit on them.

Who were we competing with about Poetl? Why did they think he was worth $9 million a year? He has zero offensive game which is very necessary in today’s all about offense league. Pop (rightly might I add) was never going to play him starter minutes so the question then becomes why pay that much for a back up. Bc that’s what Poetl is. That is his ceiling. He is a back up. After 5 years he still goes up soft, still has no jumper, and still can’t shoot free throws- he isn’t going to just randomly improve on year 6.

Can we trade Rudy Gay already please. Or Patty. I know they have the gunner role but we can’t have TWO gunners off the bench when supposedly we are playing our new $73 million dollar man off the bench as well. It doesn’t mesh and they will end up freezing out White. Like if Rudy and Patty finish the year with more shot attempts than Derrick I will lose my shit.

Trade LMA while we are at it but if (and I have no effing clue) Portland really did offer us a 1st and a big last year, we should’ve taken it and ran. The dude is done. It does make me feel better though that we tried to trade him during the off season.

Keldon was/is amazing. future star of the team.

Lonnie needs to just shoot the ball. If we could put Patty Mills mindset in Lonnies body then we would be golden. Seriously he would be an all star. As is I think next year will be the last we will see of Lonnie if he doesn’t get his head out of his ass.

DJ I like what I’m seeing. He still has glaring flaws at running the point but I see know real issue with it for the future bc all of vets will be gone anyways so who really cares if he can’t set up LMA. I would just have him focus more on drive and kick. And pic n roll. That’s it. White will set up the plays when we need it

DDR is really really good at going to the line. And we are still 25th in free throws. Says more about our lack of respect. I have no complaints about his play this year.

Pop has been good for me. I love the fire is back. We don’t have the horses but we are competitive and the youth are playing with fire and heart.

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 04:10 PM
Poetl was also switching onto their wings and guards. You think he can do that as well as Poetl?

Poeltl's big problem was his timidity. He was playing in no-space, stranding himself and failing to be assertive in any way. He was clearly cowed by the Lakers, which LMA would not be.

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 04:14 PM
It sucks when we depend on our PG to secure rebounds for this team but that’s where we are at. I didn’t really have a plan for this year tbh so I’m not going to shit on everything the FO did and act like I had a better solution than they did... but I still am going to shit on them.

Who were we competing with about Poetl? Why did they think he was worth $9 million a year? He has zero offensive game which is very necessary in today’s all about offense league. Pop (rightly might I add) was never going to play him starter minutes so the question then becomes why pay that much for a back up. Bc that’s what Poetl is. That is his ceiling. He is a back up. After 5 years he still goes up soft, still has no jumper, and still can’t shoot free throws- he isn’t going to just randomly improve on year 6.

Can we trade Rudy Gay already please. Or Patty. I know they have the gunner role but we can’t have TWO gunners off the bench when supposedly we are playing our new $73 million dollar man off the bench as well. It doesn’t mesh and they will end up freezing out White. Like if Rudy and Patty finish the year with more shot attempts than Derrick I will lose my shit.

Trade LMA while we are at it but if (and I have no effing clue) Portland really did offer us a 1st and a big last year, we should’ve taken it and ran. The dude is done. It does make me feel better though that we tried to trade him during the off season.

Keldon was/is amazing. future star of the team.

Lonnie needs to just shoot the ball. If we could put Patty Mills mindset in Lonnies body then we would be golden. Seriously he would be an all star. As is I think next year will be the last we will see of Lonnie if he doesn’t get his head out of his ass.

DJ I like what I’m seeing. He still has glaring flaws at running the point but I see know real issue with it for the future bc all of vets will be gone anyways so who really cares if he can’t set up LMA. I would just have him focus more on drive and kick. And pic n roll. That’s it. White will set up the plays when we need it

DDR is really really good at going to the line. And we are still 25th in free throws. Says more about our lack of respect. I have no complaints about his play this year.

Pop has been good for me. I love the fire is back. We don’t have the horses but we are competitive and the youth are playing with fire and heart.

Poeltl is like Kyle Anderson. If you don't pay and keep him, you have absolutely jack shit.

No one wants Patty Mills and people like you need to also understand that what he contributes to the culture of the team is absolutely vital. Maybe you play a ton of PlayStation, but that's not how things work nor how this franchise views its players.

Rudy Gay is second to Mills in that regard, but also important at this point to team culture. He's also not someone you can trade for better players, not at this point.

I'm still unsure whether LMA can be traded. The team's floor drops considerably this year if he's traded, and I don't know what the market is, but they should look around.

Clearly the problem going forward is young front court talent. I don't know how to solve the problem at this point.

Collins21
01-02-2021, 04:27 PM

Poetl has looked just as bad on defense as Aldridge. If davis would have did to LMA what he did to Poetl last night yall would crapping on him. Aldridge when he gets healthy and starts hitting his shots are going to make a lot of yall look foolish for actually believing that Jak is better.

KobesAchilles
01-02-2021, 04:28 PM
Poeltl is like Kyle Anderson. If you don't pay and keep him, you have absolutely jack shit.

No one wants Patty Mills and people like you need to also understand that what he contributes to the culture of the team is absolutely vital. Maybe you play a ton of PlayStation, but that's not how things work nor how this franchise views its players.

Rudy Gay is second to Mills in that regard, but also important at this point to team culture. He's also not someone you can trade for better players, not at this point.

I'm still unsure whether LMA can be traded. The team's floor drops considerably this year if he's traded, and I don't know what the market is, but they should look around.

Clearly the problem going forward is young front court talent. I don't know how to solve the problem at this point.
We didn't lose jack shit by losing Anderson so I don't really see your point unless you're saying that losing Poetl wouldn't have been a big deal.

I haven't played playstation in years tbh. Shit just got too complicated for me. I'm not saying that I dislike Patty and I'm not denying the culture part, but if either him or Gay end up with more FGA per game then their "culture" is counterproductive.

Also not moving Gay bc of culture issues is pretty dumb. It's not about bringing in better players, I would take a worse player tbh bc at least they would understand where they are in the pecking order. 3 out of the top 4 shooters (as far as attempts) on our team are our vets while the other is the point guard. That needs to change during the year and idk if Rudy will be okay with that change.

The only way to solve that problem is to sign Collins and draft a young athletic big man. I would be ok with re-signing DDR as well. He solves a lot of issues on our team that people don't want to admit. Like free throws attempts (I don't even want to know how many a game we would average if he wasn't on our team), being able to dribble the basketball, and setting up teammates.

Sugus
01-02-2021, 04:29 PM
Who were we competing with about Poetl? Why did they think he was worth $9 million a year?

This was a drama filled signing. Wonder if the local press will cover that aspect. I've heard bits and pieces but Poeltl had multiple teams after him and it's not a coincidence that the deal was done like five minutes before he was free to sign an offersheet elsewhere :lol

There's another post by timvp detailing he was offered signing sheets that would've put the Spurs over the cap had they tried to match them, but didn't. Couldn't find it.

GreekSpursfan
01-02-2021, 04:34 PM
Gay was asked to do more in the absence of LA and when that happens don't expect good results especially when White isn't 100%. I really like where this team is heading but we're missing the true alpha which is the most important thing unfortunately. Lets hope we find him in the near future. Go Spurs Go

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 04:38 PM
We didn't lose jack shit by losing Anderson so I don't really see your point unless you're saying that losing Poetl wouldn't have been a big deal.

We need Kyle Anderson right now. Without Poeltl, we'd have Eubanks and jack shit without LMA. You need to think these things through, dude.

Sugus
01-02-2021, 04:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dylcRUd.gif

We could use a PnP PF kind of like this right now too... Wonder if he'll make an appearance once we play lesser stakes games.

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 04:42 PM
Gay was asked to do more in the absence of LA and when that happens don't expect good results especially when White isn't 100%. I really like where this team is heading but we're missing the true alpha which is the most important thing unfortunately. Lets hope we find him in the near future. Go Spurs Go

Keldon will develop into one.

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 05:13 PM
We could use a PnP PF kind of like this right now too... Wonder if he'll make an appearance once we play lesser stakes games.

I wonder... if the Spurs truly still have hope for Luka and are legitimately putting him on a 3 year plan, that we'll see him play towards the end of this season and see what he's got. If he does well Keldon-style, I wonder if there would be major minutes in store for him next year. Obviously a lot of dominoes for this needs to fall...

The Spurs' plan for Luka is SO mysterious but maybe already so obvious that we're just in denial. I can't decide between the two.

r0drig0lac
01-02-2021, 05:23 PM
I wonder... if the Spurs truly still have hope for Luka and are legitimately putting him on a 3 year plan, that we'll see him play towards the end of this season and see what he's got. If he does well Keldon-style, I wonder if there would be major minutes in store for him next year. Obviously a lot of dominoes for this needs to fall...

The Spurs' plan for Luka is SO mysterious but maybe already so obvious that we're just in denial. I can't decide between the two.I don't see a plan, they drafted the potential waiting for a home run, the problem is that from what I saw about Luka, I don't see a middle ground in his future in the NBA, or he will be very good player or he will be out of the league.

Dejounte
01-02-2021, 05:27 PM
I don't see a plan, they drafted the potential waiting for a home run, the problem is that from what I saw about Luka, I don't see a middle ground in his future in the NBA, or he will be very good player or he will be out of the league.

I think they're going to put him in the gleague and make a final decision immediately after based on if he's dominating there or not. He has to show some kind of improvement. Luckily, I kept an eye on him last year so I'll be able to compare. Theoretically, Luka SHOULD give everything John Collins is supposed to give us.

phxspurfan
01-02-2021, 06:53 PM
Wow. Is this bump really implying Kyle Fucking Anderson would have saved us from being curbstomped by the Lakers/Refs? Come on, get a grip. This team is nowhere close to beating the Lakers. They were giving 60% effort and used their random shitties to take wet poops on us.

And btw, their end of bench fucktards who beat us (Wes Matthews, Kuzma) are better than 90% of our team. Getting slow ass fathead back wouldnt have changed shit.

Chomag
01-02-2021, 07:05 PM
I ain't even mad if we get swept because our guys competed . If these 2 games were called fairly we would be talking about our 2 wins. We got some promising players but no Star player that can put us past going 5 on 8 because of the refs and pull out the win despite them.

If it wasn't for my love of our Spurs team I would be so done with the NBA, such a shit product the league has now become, thanks Silver!

Amuseddaysleeper
01-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Lamarcus has been averaging 3 less rebounds a game than Jak in 5 more minutes per game this year

He's been least interested in boxing out and fighting for rebounds out of all of our bigs and it's so plainly obvious watching the games it makes me wonder if someone saying he would keep LA off the boards is actually paying attention or just going off his reputation from 4 years ago. Also- it is 2021, we don't need to be calling post ups for our Centers when all the evidence statistically and anecdotally around the league says its the least efficient form of offense. Even Jokic creates most of his offense from the arc, choosing to face up and get position down low or taking open shots. I know there's a lot of people who miss 4 down being the only thing you had to run but it's not the game anymore, and especially not the game when your bigs are Jakob and old man Aldridge.

Rebounding was definitely a problem, but when you have Keldon and Demar responsible for keeping one of Gasol or Davis off the glass it's gonna be trouble no matter who is playing center.

I just don't think there was any one problem that resulted in the loss. Patty missed a bunny, Drew missed a couple of bunnies, Jak missed 4 free throws, the team missed a total of 8 free throws. We had 16 less shot attempts than the lakers. They were able to create offense and find quality shots in the 4th while we stagnated and resorted to long 2s and lazy offense. The Lebron post up on Dwhite. Lakers getting away with murder on screens grabbing everyone and getting open shot after open shot.

I hope LMA gets traded ASAP, he's regressing at an alarming rate and he's soft as hell.

tbdog
01-02-2021, 09:42 PM
I hope LMA gets traded ASAP, he's regressing at an alarming rate and he's soft as hell.

By game 30, he'll be our best player.

Mr. Body
01-02-2021, 10:08 PM
Wow. Is this bump really implying Kyle Fucking Anderson would have saved us from being curbstomped by the Lakers/Refs? Come on, get a grip. This team is nowhere close to beating the Lakers.

Lol, they were literally one minute from beating them. Two plays did it.

Anyone -- ANYONE -- able to corral a couple more defensive rebounds and the game was won.

XDT76
01-02-2021, 11:44 PM

The Spurs' plan for Luka is SO mysterious but maybe already so obvious that we're just in denial. I can't decide between the two.

They probably still have hope, the Spurs just activate the team option for him for next year.

Slippy
01-03-2021, 01:46 AM
This is starting to become a major concern for Lonnie imo. It's like he has his mind made up what he is going to do the moment he gets the ball, and doesn't take what the defense is actually giving him.

I know this new offense is predicated on drive-and-kicks generating open looks, but Lonnie has turned down multiple wide open lanes where he could challenge the rim and just tosses the ball back out.

That's great if it leads to a wide open three-pointer, but more often than not it just resets the offense and forces someone else to try to get the same advantage that Lonnie just gave up.

I've said it before, but he plays way too passive for a guy with his abilities.

Agree, he's in premeditated mode. Yesterday game it was all about dribbling and kick outs.. One drive, he had a path to the basket,no defenders in front and still kicked it back out.. you look back to his first season.. he showed none of that. His offensive game has been natured. He seems to be overthinking it. Coaches probably in his ear.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-03-2021, 04:03 AM
By game 30, he'll be our best player.

Then we will finish bottom 3 in the west

rankingtear
01-03-2021, 05:57 AM
Poetl has looked just as bad on defense as Aldridge. If davis would have did to LMA what he did to Poetl last night yall would crapping on him. Aldridge when he gets healthy and starts hitting his shots are going to make a lot of yall look foolish for actually believing that Jak is better.

Based on what? LA 's Def Rating is 125 good for second to last among rotational centers. Poeltl in the LAL last two games is at 102, 94 for the season second only to Marc Gasol.

Slippy
01-03-2021, 08:00 AM
Who the hell cares about his defensive rating when one game he cant stay on the court and then next game lays an egg. .:lol

Second to Marc Gasol. Wow

Sugus
01-03-2021, 01:34 PM
Who the hell cares about his defensive rating when one game he cant stay on the court and then next game lays an egg. .:lol

Second to Marc Gasol. Wow

I do - because defense wins you games, Center is the most valuable position to have a plus defender at, and the rest of the team is more offensive-oriented with several neutral-to-lousy defenders, especially in the SL....?

0 point games aren't acceptable, but they're still one game. Bad FT shooting is not acceptable. Ticky-tacky fouls are not acceptable (though if you watch the games, it's as much on Jakob as the officiating that's gotten ridiculously bad). That all doesn't mean that we can't look at advanced metrics to see the real value of a player, despite their flaws. I see naive posters here dismissing all the work Jakob does on the court, or wondering if he "truly has any elite skills"... I'm convinced people don't really watch the games, at this point.

Being the second best defensive rating big in the league is a great thing. I'd be wary of such a metric for now though, due to sample size, but it's objectively something to care about.

daslicer
01-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Wow. Is this bump really implying Kyle Fucking Anderson would have saved us from being curbstomped by the Lakers/Refs? Come on, get a grip. This team is nowhere close to beating the Lakers. They were giving 60% effort and used their random shitties to take wet poops on us.

And btw, their end of bench fucktards who beat us (Wes Matthews, Kuzma) are better than 90% of our team. Getting slow ass fathead back wouldnt have changed shit.

Matthews is garbage. You are off on that one.

Sugus
01-03-2021, 01:54 PM
Matthews is garbage. You are off on that one.

:lol and Kuzma isn't? Garbage take all around, not just on Matthews, tbh.

Sugus
01-03-2021, 02:01 PM

The only people who think the Spurs have lost hope in Luka are roaming this God-forsaken board, tbh. It defies all critical analysis. Why would the Spurs take an Euro (so already noticeably slower to get up-to-speed on NBA basketball as compared to college players), 19-year-old, tweener and bodily-underdeveloped, big man (also slower to come into their game than guards), who'd they been scouting for years (so his developmental curve is no question mark) -- only to "lose hope" on him in his second season? The guy literally has yet to play two consecutive NBA games, and they've lost hope?

Posters would rather hate on him than think critically. I'm not saying he won't turn out to be a bad player, we don't really know, but trying to extrapolate Luka's lack of playing time as anything more than his body and mind not being ready for NBA level basketball is stupid. Especially since he got his only fair opportunity recently (the bubble game) and, far from stinking it up or looking out of place, put up double digit points and made a couple 3's. But now, less than 4 months after that "debut", and not even having played another NBA game, the Spurs have "lost hope"....? I don't know, chief.

I'd easily bet you (well, not you, my man, I know you're a believer deep down) that we see Luka play once we start playing easier opponents. As Ex pointed out, the games we've played so far have barely even had "garbage time" for him to soak up.

daslicer
01-03-2021, 02:33 PM
:lol and Kuzma isn't? Garbage take all around, not just on Matthews, tbh.

Kuzma is a solid player. I wouldn't call him garbage but Matthews is definitely trash.

Ocotillo
01-03-2021, 04:43 PM
The only people who think the Spurs have lost hope in Luka are roaming this God-forsaken board, tbh. It defies all critical analysis. Why would the Spurs take an Euro (so already noticeably slower to get up-to-speed on NBA basketball as compared to college players), 19-year-old, tweener and bodily-underdeveloped, big man (also slower to come into their game than guards), who'd they been scouting for years (so his developmental curve is no question mark) -- only to "lose hope" on him in his second season? The guy literally has yet to play two consecutive NBA games, and they've lost hope?

Posters would rather hate on him than think critically. I'm not saying he won't turn out to be a bad player, we don't really know, but trying to extrapolate Luka's lack of playing time as anything more than his body and mind not being ready for NBA level basketball is stupid. Especially since he got his only fair opportunity recently (the bubble game) and, far from stinking it up or looking out of place, put up double digit points and made a couple 3's. But now, less than 4 months after that "debut", and not even having played another NBA game, the Spurs have "lost hope"....? I don't know, chief.

I'd easily bet you (well, not you, my man, I know you're a believer deep down) that we see Luka play once we start playing easier opponents. As Ex pointed out, the games we've played so far have barely even had "garbage time" for him to soak up.

Yeah, look how long Metu was around. They haven't given up on Luka yet.

poopbox
01-03-2021, 05:19 PM

The flipside of this is that the from a cost analysis stand point Luka, and by virtue every nba player, has the most value while he is on his rookie deal, where his production can far out way the cost of his salary. So it should really be to the Spurs benefit to get him on the floor and playing, cause the faster you do that, the more production you get out of his rookie deal, before you have to pay him a lot more money.

The fact that the spurs haven't done this is alarming. The fact that we need to play against a bad team to possibly get Luka on the floor is alarming. We don't need nor should expect the guy to come in and be good or average x amount of points or rebounds or whatever. But what we should expect is that he can "look" like an nba player and not be overwhelmed by size, athleticism, basketball iq, etc...

People talk about "oh he is 19"....uh yeah so are a lot of 1st round picks in the nba that get on the court and play ever game...

We are playing an undrafted 3rd string center over a second year 1st round pick...that should be a bit concerning...since 3rd strings centers rarely ever play over other guys as tall as them even if they are NOT centers...

Mind and body not being ready in year 2 for a 1st round pick is a bit of a bad sign...

Slippy
01-03-2021, 05:48 PM
I do - because defense wins you games, Center is the most valuable position to have a plus defender at, and the rest of the team is more offensive-oriented with several neutral-to-lousy defenders, especially in the SL....?

0 point games aren't acceptable, but they're still one game. Bad FT shooting is not acceptable. Ticky-tacky fouls are not acceptable (though if you watch the games, it's as much on Jakob as the officiating that's gotten ridiculously bad). That all doesn't mean that we can't look at advanced metrics to see the real value of a player, despite their flaws. I see naive posters here dismissing all the work Jakob does on the court, or wondering if he "truly has any elite skills"... I'm convinced people don't really watch the games, at this point.

Being the second best defensive rating big in the league is a great thing. I.

Can tell you coach aint going to care and you caring wont win the spurs games. Has nothing to do with being naive. Jacob needs to deliver and has so far shrivelled

Slippy
01-03-2021, 05:58 PM
Marc Gasol is number one defenseive rating right... Ive lost count how many times this guy has been traded the last few seasons. Why is that, maybe teams value what they see on the court more than metrics.. when Gasol won defensive player of year. Thought the award had become a joke.

rankingtear
01-03-2021, 06:49 PM
Marc Gasol is number one defenseive rating right... Ive lost count how many times this guy has been traded the last few seasons. Why is that, maybe teams value what they see on the court more than metrics.. when Gasol won defensive player of year. Thought the award had become a joke.

1... You lost count on 1?

Sugus
01-04-2021, 12:12 AM
The flipside of this is that the from a cost analysis stand point Luka, and by virtue every nba player, has the most value while he is on his rookie deal, where his production can far out way the cost of his salary. So it should really be to the Spurs benefit to get him on the floor and playing, cause the faster you do that, the more production you get out of his rookie deal, before you have to pay him a lot more money.

The fact that the spurs haven't done this is alarming. The fact that we need to play against a bad team to possibly get Luka on the floor is alarming. We don't need nor should expect the guy to come in and be good or average x amount of points or rebounds or whatever. But what we should expect is that he can "look" like an nba player and not be overwhelmed by size, athleticism, basketball iq, etc...

People talk about "oh he is 19"....uh yeah so are a lot of 1st round picks in the nba that get on the court and play ever game...

We are playing an undrafted 3rd string center over a second year 1st round pick...that should be a bit concerning...since 3rd strings centers rarely ever play over other guys as tall as them even if they are NOT centers...

Mind and body not being ready in year 2 for a 1st round pick is a bit of a bad sign...

Well, looks like you got your wish tonight - and the question answered. As I said, Luka got on the court as soon as the first game to turn to garbage time came around (well, half of that game was garbage time tbh :lol), and was, unsurprisingly, not ready. Even more unsurprisingly, ST shits on him. Again, I'm not saying he will be a good player for sure - I think it'd be an equally stupid statement as the ones from people saying he will be bad. We just don't know for sure right now, haven't given him the time to develop, and greatly overrate small sample sizes and lack of opportunities. The ST way, I guess.

I agree with you, though, on a lot of points. I believe the cost-benefit of the rookie contract really comes into play for playoff and championship teams, though, who have big chunks of cap straddled on stars - who would the Spurs be paying instead, if Luka was signed to a minimum contract instead of a rookie scale one (because that's what he's looking like he'll be owed right now)? The answer is nobody. The fact that other players get minutes and succeed at an earlier age tells me nothing about how Luka will do. Again, Manu was 25 coming into the league - the age where a prospect starts their journey isn't so important. White is another great example, on our very own team.

I don't disagree that I expect better from Luka. I didn't think he "didn't look like an NBA player" tonight, though. He got his shit stuffed - 4 times - and will have to learn to work through it. Swished a 3pt shot. Bad body language (that's concerning for sure). Overall, not much to take away from. Do I wish he played more? For sure. But it would probably signal that the Spurs are heading to the top of the lottery, and I'm not sure the team is at that point, yet. At least I'm not at that point... Lest the exhalers bring me down to it :lol

Sugus
01-04-2021, 12:15 AM
Can tell you coach aint going to care and you caring wont win the spurs games. Has nothing to do with being naive. Jacob needs to deliver and has so far shrivelled

Well, he had double digit points tonight - so much for you wishing for offense from him :lol. I know the coach doesn't care, it's been a recurring problem with this team. I'm saying fans should know better (sadly), and care. Defense wins games, and impacts games, and Jakob can bring it within his limitations. For the record, I DO NOT think he's a starting C on a championship-level team - but why complain about it right now, when we have at most one or two players who could start on such a team? I see him working on his game, and am patiently waiting for Derrick to come back. They have by far the best chemistry and White elevates Poeltl on Offense, while letting him do his thing on D, just like he needs.

Slippy
01-04-2021, 01:11 AM
1... You lost count on 1?
Nah that would be you with the number's game.. Traded or let go doesnt matter to me.. the point is todays NBA is moving on from players like Mark Gasol. Number one defensive rating is fools gold

Slippy
01-04-2021, 01:18 AM
Well, he had double digit points tonight - so much for you wishing for offense from him :lol. I know the coach doesn't care, it's been a recurring problem with this team. I'm saying fans should know better (sadly), and care. Defense wins games, and impacts games, and Jakob can bring it within his limitations. For the record, I DO NOT think he's a starting C on a championship-level team - but why complain about it right now, when we have at most one or two players who could start on such a team? I see him working on his game, and am patiently waiting for Derrick to come back. They have by far the best chemistry and White elevates Poeltl on Offense, while letting him do his thing on D, just like he needs.

Jacob is a vital cog off the bench.. he offers adequate defense and an alternative to Larmarcus on offense.. just dont see the need to piss on LA to get that point across.. not saying you but some here do.

rankingtear
01-04-2021, 02:12 AM
Nah that would be you with the number's game.. Traded or let go doesnt matter to me.. the point is todays NBA is moving on from players like Mark Gasol. Number one defensive rating is fools gold

Our boy Tim is 3rd all time in defensive rating. Rim protection is still the key skill for the Center position. Unless 30 Bam Adebayos walks in that door you would still have drop bigs in the NBA.

Sugus
01-05-2021, 11:40 AM
Jacob is a vital cog off the bench.. he offers adequate defense and an alternative to Larmarcus on offense.. just dont see the need to piss on LA to get that point across.. not saying you but some here do.

Wait, I didn't talk about LA a single bit in that comment, did I? I assume you mean LMA - in which case, I don't "piss on him" beyond acknowledging the fact that he's old and visibly declining, and a probable lottery team like the Spurs this season has little use for him.

Otherwise, I agree - my best scenario for the season is the Spurs tank, develop youngings, then draft a C like Mobley to replace LMA, whilst trading Aldrige at the deadline for an end-of-1st round pick. Then we can develop Mobley's great game as an offensively oriented C starter, which this team desperately needs, and have Jakob bring that defensive energy off the bench (he'd likely be paired with White there, which is all the better).

ragas
01-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Wait, I didn't talk about LA a single bit in that comment, did I? I assume you mean LMA - in which case, I don't "piss on him" beyond acknowledging the fact that he's old and visibly declining, and a probable lottery team like the Spurs this season has little use for him.

Otherwise, I agree - my best scenario for the season is the Spurs tank, develop youngings, then draft a C like Mobley to replace LMA, whilst trading Aldrige at the deadline for an end-of-1st round pick. Then we can develop Mobley's great game as an offensively oriented C starter, which this team desperately needs, and have Jakob bring that defensive energy off the bench (he'd likely be paired with White there, which is all the better).

I like that.