Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...lakers-game-5/

It turns out that it's difficult to beat a team that has two of the five best players in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan with all these quotes about the young guys like he himself is some 3 time champ instead of being lebron's post nut wipe off towel

It always kills me when players who are known for coming up short in winning time talk about young guys learning what to do in winning time...

"These young guys are so great and learning so much that is why with the game on the line I took a baseline jumpshot instead of getting one of them the ball"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. I’m not so disappointed with the team effort especially the young guys. I’m more concerned about Pop’s not matching the Lakers’ bigs with our bigs. I really thought I would see any of Luka, Diop and even Kyle. I mean where is the extent of Pop putting in doghouse? We needed rebounds tonight that could’ve tip some to our advantage. Also Pop needs to draw plays for our bigs, PNR, post, etc. Zero points for our centers would never cut it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl yikes.
    Derozan, ok but a couple of poor decisions down the stretch.
    Keldon - yea
    Murray - ok
    Gay - made a couple of shots but otherwise trash, took some bad shots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades OP.
    Thought these were on point.
    With the G league bubble in Florida gaining momentum, Spurs will have a tough decision to make re: sending Vassell there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate Rudy's game tbh. He's basically the only true 4 this team has in today's NBA but I just hate everything about his shot selection and overall offensive approach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate Rudy's game tbh. He's basically the only true 4 this team has in today's NBA but I just hate everything about his shot selection and overall offensive approach
    yeah... his game can get pretty ugly but his minutes are mandatory given our roster composition tbh

i dont mind when he bullies mismatches in the paint though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A travesty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop inserted patty down the stretch again. They just needed more contributions from poetl but unfortunately its not his night. I like what i’m seeing from the young guys. But AD just couldn’t miss and had all the answers for the lakers

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. These last two games show the biggest weakness of the Spurs; their bigs. They all have faults and not close to being a complete player. Aldridge is too slow, Poertl is an offensive nightmare. Eubanks tries but is not ready, and Gay is hot and cold and believes if the ball lands in his hand-shoot it! Maybe time to dust off Trey Lyles, at least he rebounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the consensus on what would have helped us win tonight:

Better offense from our two bigs (Poetl and Eubanks) or better defense from our two bigs?

If it was better offense, sure, Aldridge would have helped in that area but then defense would have been worse. (The assumption is that if we had Aldridge, Eubanks gets no minutes. Not that we play two bigs.)

So what does that say about our needs at the center position going forward?

Could Poetl eventually grow a pair and refine his offense? Unlikely, but perhaps. He's young.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-02-2021 at 01:12 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...lakers-game-5/

It turns out that it's difficult to beat a team that has two of the five best players in the league.
    I gotta disagree with Murray’s grade... shoulda been a B. Overall I think it was some progress. Coulda won. Not all opponents will be the champs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl isn't involved in the offense at all. He needs to touch the ball, make a quick hand off, set screen, roll. He is just there not involved in our half court offense. It's a ing joke. His basically not used at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. Didn't like the calls by the refs down the stretch. It could have swayed the game. We were weak at the 5, but Keldon was really super. Welcome back White. Sunday will be tough, but we can surely use a win. Go Spurs!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. I’m not so disappointed with the team effort especially the young guys. I’m more concerned about Pop’s not matching the Lakers’ bigs with our bigs. I really thought I would see any of Luka, Diop and even Kyle. I mean where is the extent of Pop putting in doghouse? We needed rebounds tonight that could’ve tip some to our advantage. Also Pop needs to draw plays for our bigs, PNR, post, etc. Zero points for our centers would never cut it.
    Whos Kyle? I orignally thought KBD but you put Diop so it would not be him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    contrary to the game thread, I actually thought DeRozan played well. Seems like he was the only player getting to the line, sure a couple decisions at the end were bad but he generally makes the right choices. Very frustrated with the way Rudy has been playing this season, his usage has been crazy high in our losses (32, 17.7, 34.7) compared to our W's (15.5, 20.9). Perhaps its bc of LMA being out but...

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Aldridge really make a difference in this game. He is not much of a defensive player. Could he really make Davis work for all those points?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl deserved an D- or F. Dude came into the off-season bemoaning wanting starter minutes and has done nothing from the preseason to now to have justified that. In fact his game seems to have regressed, despite starting 40% of the games thus far, think he got benched twice tonight. Not good play in any phase, but especially on offense. Even his defense has been horrid.
    Hope it's not a case of having gotten comfortable now that he got his contract. He needs to demonstrate at least what he is capable of soon or you can already put his contract in the ruh-roh category.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. These last two games show the biggest weakness of the Spurs; their bigs. They all have faults and not close to being a complete player. Aldridge is too slow, Poertl is an offensive nightmare. Eubanks tries but is not ready, and Gay is hot and cold and believes if the ball lands in his hand-shoot it! Maybe time to dust off Trey Lyles, at least he rebounds.
    Rebounds, that is the thing that I am disappointed in our bigs, they are not getting enough rebounds and not boxing out the other team. We would had won this game if we do a good job on preventing the Lakers getting OR.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White seemed to have a couple issues with spacing the floor down the stretch, being in other peoples zone etc. But that will come back as he gets in the lineups again and if the team can have a practice or two.

Keldon is quickly becoming a really good player. His adjustments to last game are really good and wow, very timely. Relative to last year, this was a strong showing against the best team in the league. Last year we would have lost by 20.

And I dislike Lyles very much but he would have been better than Purrtl or Eubanks probably out there. Even though I thought Eubanks did ok on switches on an island against the best player in the NBA, making him shoot 25 footers. He just happened to hit them, but what are you going to do. He's your 3rd string big making less than 2 mill a season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers slept-walked through this game until it was closing time. The only bright spot tonight was Keldon Johnson. He's racking up "I'll forgive him" points for any mistakes he might make because he plays so damn hard & is fearless. Unlike Lonnie who seems to take too many possessions & nights off from being compe ive. LW4 has shown some improvement but he needs to ramp it up for this team to be truly successful.

Although Derozan was good offensively, it didn't make up for how bad he was on defense. Unlike TIMVP, I thought Derozan was downright slow and lazy on defense. Just totally uninterested in playing on that side of the ball. Not sure how Poetl didn't get an F either. That was as bad as I've ever seen him play and worse yet, it seemed like he was in the game forever. ing Aldridge & his ghost injuries. That dude needs to go. If Atlanta is stupid enough to take him in a trade for Collins, please make that happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka is a bust, then?

LOL.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ghost injuries ��

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the exact opposite about Rudy

I love his shot selection and think offensively he is playing exactly how he should

I have stated multiple times that if LMA played like Rudy we would might make some real noise this year

Are we sure we are in the same time space continuum

I also don't think he is a true 4...more if a big hybrid 3 / 4... a true 4 could bully smaller bigs and rudy can't cause he IS a smaller big...

Thread Information