PDA

View Full Version : How long before you know they don't want you?

easjer
11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
My rader is shot.

I just got an email yesterday for a company I applied for a month ago stating that they were processing my application and would contact me again shortly.

I have always figured that if you didn't hear anything after 3 weeks, it was dead in the water.

I've got a job approaching that deadline now that I would be willing to do nearly anything to get - it's my dream job (or at least appears so from what I know right now). I did receive a standard letter that said "blah blah we've got lots of applications blah blah we'll contact you for an interview blah blah." The job is still posted . . .

Anyhow - what, if any, guidelines exist for knowing you ain't getting a call about that job?

50 cent
11-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Different for different companies. They may be in a hiring freeze. You just don't know. I would try to contact HR and let them know you are still very interested in working for their company.

Bill Lumbergh
11-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Sorry we had a paper jam I'll be in touch with you soon. Greaaat.

SpursWoman
11-11-2005, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't put any stock in time-frames. I applied for an awesome job (where I'm at now) and it took well over a month between the time I sent my resume to when I got my first call back.

My last job I believe it was 2 months before I heard anything. You never know...sometimes people are on vacation, can't make a decision...have decided to re-write the job description...lots of things.

easjer
11-11-2005, 03:15 PM
The important thing is to keep following up with them. I would never hire someone that filled out a app and didn't bother following up. That may be the delay just waiting to see who pursues them first.

But I went though HR - not a person. If it were a person, I'd follow up. I've tried (and am still trying through a couple of contacts) to find out who makes the interview decision and get my resume in their hands . . .

I don't know what to do for follow up through a large HR dept. Suggestion are welcome.

AlamoSpursFan
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
What SpursWoman said.

I had forgotten I applied at Frito Lay when they called. Had to be at least 3 months. I saw Frito Lay on my caller ID and thought "Who the hell do I know at Frito Lay?" Then I remembered applying.

:lol

Mijo
11-11-2005, 09:00 PM
It was 6 months for me. I had gotten laid off from my then current job and as soon as I got home, extremely depressed, the phone rang and it was them. I've been there 6 years now. It was a total blessing.

Carie
11-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Definitely don't give up, many companies take a while to make their decisions. I'd call the main number for HR and ask who you should speak with. Are you looking for a job here in SA now?

N.Y. Johnny
11-11-2005, 10:27 PM
yeah bro
don't give up..you'd be surprised about things...sometimes it may seem its dead in the water and then all of a sudden out of the blue you get a call for interviews or something.

I'm goin through a similar thing because i've put in for some work with XM Satellite Radio and that prospect looks great now when it looked dead before. :spin

SequSpur
11-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Follow up. Follow up. Follow up.

Once you fax a resume, unless they got a good HR dept or staff that recruit full time, your shit got put in the back file in the cabinet.

Send it twice and follow up with a call.