PDA

View Full Version : LaMarcus Aldridge Gives Back $7.25 Million in Buyout with Spurs (Edit: Woj Says $5.8 Million) (Edit 2: Ouch, Looks Like Only $2.7 Million Now) (Edit 3: Wait, it might actually be $7.25 million)

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
03-25-2021, 04:41 PM
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1375198039426629632

Wow. That's certainly more than the $3.50 DeMarre Carroll gave back. :wow

slick'81
03-25-2021, 04:44 PM
So do we celebrate or wat?

TheGreatYacht
03-25-2021, 04:45 PM
How soon before the Holts start a GoFundMe and start trading picks for cash considerations? :wakeup

Das Texan
03-25-2021, 04:46 PM
LMA must have really wanted the fuck out of town then, damn.

Chinook
03-25-2021, 04:46 PM
It's enough now to where SA could potentially look to Europe to sign a player for the rest of the season ala Baynes. Isn't there some Greek big folks were talking about a while ago?

slick'81
03-25-2021, 04:47 PM
It's enough now to where SA could potentially look to Europe to sign a player for the rest of the season ala Baynes. Isn't there some Greek big folks were talking about a while ago?

Its happening!

Chinook
03-25-2021, 04:48 PM
And yes, this should do a lot toward securing LMA's legacy as a Spur. He basically took a straight contract termination in order to move on. That's a far cry from Leonard getting paid to sit. Really, even if he hated it in SA, LMA had the leverage to give back way less. This shows why SA didn't jump on just any trade for him and why they were willing to announce he was leaving no matter what so early. This probably isn't (just) a "touches" thing. He seems to want his ring if he's willing to give up about $6 Million to get it. It's like a David West-esque sacrifice.

God speed, Aldridge. Classy move at the end. Hopefully PATFO can do something with the money besides line the owners' pockets.

Leetonidas
03-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Classy move my ass. Appreciate that he gave some money back but the classy move woulda been to accept his role and play out his contract

Uriel
03-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Any chance we can bring in Milutinov?

slick'81
03-25-2021, 04:51 PM
This is obviously why spurs werent taking bs offers for lma

Chinook
03-25-2021, 04:53 PM
Classy move my ass. Appreciate that he gave some money back but the classy move woulda been to accept his role and play out his contract

Not really. If we're real-talking, the Spurs should've not guaranteed his last year and waived him if they didn't like what he could bring in a trade. Dude's giving back five times as much as someone like Drummond is likely to. It's probably close to the max he could. SA has a chance to do something good with the savings (though they aren't off to a great start), and that is worth more than whatever they could get back in a trade probably could've been.

Dejounte
03-25-2021, 04:53 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1375202816810180609?s=19

We love you LMA :lmao :lmao

Chinook
03-25-2021, 04:54 PM

There goes another capillary in my eye. Thanks.

Leetonidas
03-25-2021, 04:55 PM
Not really. If we're real-talking, the Spurs should've not guaranteed his last year and waived him if they didn't like what he could bring in a trade. Dude's giving back five times as much as someone like Drummond is likely to. It's probably close to the max he could. SA has a chance to do something good with the savings (though they aren't off to a great start), and that is worth more than whatever they could get back in a trade probably could've been.

I agree in a sense and I get it but the fact remains LMA quit on the Spurs and I refuse to label anything resulting from that as "classy"

cd98
03-25-2021, 04:55 PM

Clearly this video was done by Spurs organization and not Spurstalk. But regardless if he sulked, he was a good player that did the best he could to keep the Spurs competitive until this year. At least he didn't fake an injury and go hide in NY while cashing checks. At least he gave $7 million back.

mexicanjunior
03-25-2021, 04:56 PM

Thanks for quitting on us and forcing a buyout... :rolleyes

Dirks_Finale
LMA must have really wanted the fuck out of town then, damn.

Meh, he likely just wanted South Beach and only South Beach so he pushed them for a buyout since MIA would not give SA what they wanted.

timvp
Quick thoughts:

-Yeah, if the Spurs knew this was an option, it's no wonder they didn't trade him. Unless they got back a first rounder for him, this was a superior move.

-The Spurs did Aldridge a solid by guaranteeing his final season even though they didn't need to. Aldridge returned the favor by giving back a lot more than he needed to.

-The Spurs still have their MLE and at least one roster spot.

-After this move, they could become buyers on the buyout market.

-The Spurs could also look to Europe/China now with quite a bit of money to spend.

Interesting turn of events :wow

SpursRussia
03-25-2021, 04:57 PM
Now I start to think that buying out LA instead of trading him was Holts call and not PATFOs complete ineptness. Trading meant that no salary would be shed, if we were getting young players, we were keeping them, and if it were washed up vets even on expiring contracts pending buyout, they will not accept any less than full amount. So I think they had some offers on their hands but decided not to pull the trigger and mortgage the future a little so save the 7.5m.

Now I won't be surprised to see a Rudy Gay buyout, even though there had been offers of 2 seconds for him, which were declined for the same reason. Unless Rudy prefers to keep chilling till the end of this short season while getting payed in full, rather than sweating his ass off in playoffs.

MultiTroll
03-25-2021, 04:57 PM
Wow. That's certainly more than the $3.50 DeMarre Carroll gave back. :wow
Wow. 24 million a year salary is certainly more then 6 million.

Sugus
03-25-2021, 05:04 PM
Quick thoughts:

-Yeah, if the Spurs knew this was an option, it's no wonder they didn't trade him. Unless they got back a first rounder for him, this was a superior move.

-The Spurs did Aldridge a solid by guaranteeing his final season even though they didn't need to. Aldridge returned the favor by giving back a lot more than he needed to.

-The Spurs could also look to Europe/China now with quite a bit of money to spend.

Aaaaand there's the Sniffvp we all know and love.... Knew it couldn't last long :lol

Inb4 Spurs do nothing with the money lmao

DPG21920
03-25-2021, 05:07 PM
Quick thoughts:

Bruh - guys getting bought out likely aren’t great for rebuilding teams, right?

Losing Ddr + Rudy + Lyles + LMA for nothing is incompetent. I’m sorry.

spurraider21
03-25-2021, 05:10 PM
There goes another capillary in my eye. Thanks.
cant believe people still talk about him like he's viable :lol

John B
03-25-2021, 05:11 PM
Is that enough for Milutinov? Who can Spurs get for 7.25 mil?

Mugen
03-25-2021, 05:12 PM

Not true - there's value in having the old guys show the young guys how to completely miss the playoffs the last few years and then ask for a buyout so you ring chase on an actual team :lol

PhantomDashCam
03-25-2021, 05:13 PM
https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/1375200930027692038?s=20

Jabari loving it.

slick'81
Mulitinov:rollin

RC_Drunkford
Get Dieng if Memphis buys him out

RD2191
03-25-2021, 05:15 PM
Woj claims 5.8

timvp
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1375208639137468418

A little less but still a lot more than typical, tbh.

Leetonidas
Get Dieng if Memphis buys him out

Probably going to the Lakers

slick'81
03-25-2021, 05:16 PM
:rollin It keeps getting worse

GreekSpursfan
03-25-2021, 05:17 PM

Dinos Mitoglou? He can shoot from the outside meaning he can stretch the floor but he provides nothing else on both ends plus he's slow, not good enough.

Chinook
03-25-2021, 05:17 PM
Aaaaand there's the Sniffvp we all know and love.... Knew it couldn't last long :lol

Inb4 Spurs do nothing with the money lmao

That'd near break me as a fan, I think. Imagine hearing that SA actually did have offers for picks and expirings for Aldridge, but ownership made PATFO turn them down because they preferred to save money they already knew would come from an Aldridge buyout. In my mind, that would be straight unforgiveable. And even though a scenario like that is unlikely, this is the kind of shit we have to consider now because of the Chriss trade. A fundamental amount of trust in the Spurs' character was lost because of that trade, and a lot of folks I don't think fully appreciate that and think this is typical "edge-lords vs sniffers" shit. This would be like being a Republican or Democrat and hearing the White House was nuked -- way beyond the normal shitty banter on ST.

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 05:20 PM
Not true - there's value in having the old guys show the young guys how to completely miss the playoffs the last few years and then ask for a buyout so you ring chase on an actual team :lol

This must be the Spurs culture that PATFO covets so much.

duncan2150
03-25-2021, 05:22 PM

Losing Lyles no he's garbage, let 33 yrs old rudy walk after this year no too.
Aldridge is a different case, could have been traded before, imo they don't have good offer last year but don't forget that he is a 35 yrs old big with a big contract.

Derozan is the only one i agree with you but we'll see that next summer.

timvp
03-25-2021, 05:24 PM
That'd near break me as a fan, I think. Imagine hearing that SA actually did have offers for picks and expirings for Aldridge, but ownership made PATFO turn them down because they preferred to save money due to an Aldridge buyout. In my mind, that would be straight unforgiveable. And even those that's unlikely, this is the kind of shit we have to consider now because of the Chriss trade. A fundamental amount of trust in the Spurs' character was lost because of that trade.

Yeah, I've heard some spin trying to paint this as a typical cap maneuver. But it's not. It's a straight cash grab, tbh. Even the terrible Scola trade was done to legitimately duck under the luxury tax. This trade was done to profit.

It may become a moot point if the Spurs have someone in mind who costs ~$4 million but, otherwise, it's at the very least worrisome going forward.

SpurPadre
03-25-2021, 05:24 PM
cant believe people still talk about him like he's viable :lol

People did the same thing with Adam Hanga lol.

spurraider21
03-25-2021, 05:25 PM
People did the same thing with Adam Hanga lol.
hanga actually looked like a good player. milutinov does nothing but a bunch of 2 handed gorilla dunks

PhantomDashCam
03-25-2021, 05:26 PM
That'd near break me as a fan, I think. Imagine hearing that SA actually did have offers for picks and expirings for Aldridge, but ownership made PATFO turn them down because they preferred to save money they already knew would come from an Aldridge buyout. In my mind, that would be straight unforgiveable. And even though a scenario like that is unlikely, this is the kind of shit we have to consider now because of the Chriss trade. A fundamental amount of trust in the Spurs' character was lost because of that trade, and a lot of folks I don't think fully appreciate that and think this is typical "edge-lords vs sniffers" shit. This would be like being a Republican or Democrat and hearing the White House was nuked -- way beyond the normal shitty banter on ST.

Do you think there is any possibility the Spurs brought him in because:

A) He’s close to DJ
B) Can assist with his rehab, sneaky look at him before he is a FA?

Granted it seems unlikely, but is that a hypothetical?

TimDunkem
03-25-2021, 05:27 PM
^No

timvp
03-25-2021, 05:27 PM

A) He’s close to DJ

Granted it seems unlikely, but is that a possibility?

I highly doubt it. Chriss has been available for peanuts over the last couple years. If they wanted him, he was a minimum contract or even a 10-day contract away.

SpursRussia
03-25-2021, 05:28 PM

That's exactly what happened and that's painting a very vivid picture of this team's future

SpurPadre
03-25-2021, 05:29 PM
hanga actually looked like a good player. milutinov does nothing but a bunch of 2 handed gorilla dunks

Yeah but even when he was 28, people were still talking like he stood a chance in coming over here instead of being the EuroLeague lifer that he was always destined to be.

cjw

Lyles = wasn’t going to get you anything

LMA = clear the market wasn’t there and they had this in their back pocket. This opens up almost the full MLE and keeps them well outside of the tax. Buyout market and international players now become an option.

Rudy = maybe he actually wants to stick around, and has a vets role to play. He’s one of team leaders on a team fighting to make playoffs. Remember Rudy didn’t sniff playoffs until arriving in SA. He could even sign a team friendly deal in offseason. Even if he goes for nothing, he’s a good vet to have around.

Demar = you assume he’s walking. I think he will, but will also open up S&T possibilities for Spurs. He’s not going to go to a team just because they have cap space at this point in his career. He’s going to want to go to a team that is competitive, and that almost certainly means they won’t have $20mm+ of space to get him.

Chinook

A) He’s close to DJ

Granted it seems unlikely, but is that a hypothetical?

I agree with the others that this is unlikely. My guess/hope is that they cut him and use his spot on someone they could evaluate. I'm not even sure if Chriss and Murray are (still) close.

Sugus
03-25-2021, 05:30 PM
That'd near break me as a fan, I think. Imagine hearing that SA actually did have offers for picks and expirings for Aldridge, but ownership made PATFO turn them down because they preferred to save money due to an Aldridge buyout. In my mind, that would be straight unforgiveable. And even those that's unlikely, this is the kind of shit we have to consider now because of the Chriss trade. A fundamental amount of trust in the Spurs' character was lost because of that trade.

Oh, absolutely, hearing that the ownership overrode the FO to make a business-only decision would be a big blow to the FO's (little current) credibility in terms of getting the team back on the map in the near future. It'll be interesting to see whether Pop makes any comments before or after tonight's game regarding the trade deadline, tbh. Also, I don't really see the Chriss trade as much of a trust deal-breaker or something, it's surprising that you're so preoccupied with it. For sure something to keep an eye on though, regarding future moves by the FO, but a bit inconsequential in the grand scheme of things IMO. We'll see what happens the next few weeks I guess

PhantomDashCam
03-25-2021, 05:30 PM
I highly doubt it. Chriss has been available for peanuts over the last couple years. If they wanted him, he was a minimum contract or even a 10-day contract away.

Thanks for the response. Appreciate all the efforts on keeping everyone updated. :tu

BillMc
03-25-2021, 05:34 PM
Even the terrible Scola trade was done to legitimately duck under the luxury tax.

Scola Thread!!

(Sorry, wanted to do that for years!)

cjw
03-25-2021, 05:37 PM
I read the two tweets as slightly different. One says he gives back $7.25mm. The other says cash buyout of $5.8 million (seems like amount Spurs paid instead of what LMA gave up).

I’m not exactly sure how the contract is paid out throughout the year, but probably ratably. So maybe there’s a chance he has received less than half his salary of $24 million so far, and he had about $13mm remaining. He gave up $7.25mm and the Spurs paid $5.8mm.

Chinook
03-25-2021, 05:37 PM
Oh, absolutely, hearing that the ownership overrode the FO to make a business-only decision would be a big blow to the FO's (little current) credibility in terms of getting the team back on the map in the near future. It'll be interesting to see whether Pop makes any comments before or after tonight's game regarding the trade deadline, tbh. Also, I don't really see the Chriss trade as much of a trust deal-breaker or something, it's surprising that you're so preoccupied with it. For sure something to keep an eye on though, regarding future moves by the FO, but a bit inconsequential in the grand scheme of things IMO. We'll see what happens the next few weeks I guess

The Spurs have for the longest time had the mandate to build the best team possible with the understanding that they couldn't go over the tax. With a couple of notable exceptions that budget has held. They only went over when it was clearly warranted. Now, they were under and just needed to sign a final player. Then they use that space instead to cut the owner a $100k or so check. That's bad. They needed to sign someone, and they've watched decent d-leaguers get snatched up while they sat on their 15th spot. Now, it turns out they have even more salary space than anticipated. If they turn around and again don't make the team better, it will be a huge blow, and it will make me at least wonder if the savings was the most important part of the trade(s) PATFO didn't make. Did they not take back salary in an Aldridge trade to save the owners cash? Did the Lyles deal fall apart because the Mavs wouldn't pay the Holts (not the Spurs) to make it happen? Is the team not making moves because their new budget is going to be way lower than the tax? We don't know. Before, we could trust that outside of the initial budget constraints, PATFO would do whatever they thought was best to make the team win. Now, we know for a fact that they aren't always going to do that, and we'll have to read every subsequent move with that new understanding in mind.

SpurPadre
03-25-2021, 05:38 PM
Will this go down another 2 million in an hour or two?! :lol

In all seriousness, I'm not going to boo LMA the next time he plays the Spurs. The "my touches" shit annoyed me and I wish he had been a better leader but he definitely had his moments and circumstances beyond his control fucked the franchise good. We'd be lucky to get another star free agent of his caliber at the time to want to play for the team and choose us over bigger markets. Maybe now, he'd rather get "my ring" instead of "my touches" though. Maybe he'll get his first taste of the Finals at least? Good luck, LMA.

gambit1990
03-25-2021, 05:40 PM
:rollin It keeps getting worse
just wait tbh...

timvp
03-25-2021, 05:42 PM
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1375212533133479948

Wait a second, did Aldridge only give back $2.7 million???

SpurPadre
03-25-2021, 05:46 PM

Wait a second, did Aldridge only give back $1.7 million???

$2.7 million.

timvp
03-25-2021, 05:48 PM
$2.7 million.

You caught my ninja edit.

But, yeah, starting to sound like $7.25 million ----> $5.8 million -----> $2.7 million :(

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 05:49 PM
:lol so in the end LMA took every penny he could after all

RC_Drunkford
03-25-2021, 05:50 PM
Now it’s all starting to make sense :lol PATFO is getting worse every minute

objective
03-25-2021, 05:54 PM
Is that enough for Milutinov? Who can Spurs get for 7.25 mil?

Probably couldn't happen no matter the number of the buyout.

Milutinov's last deal had specific dates where he was allowed to do a buyout. His current deal with CSKA is probably the same.

mexicanjunior
03-25-2021, 05:55 PM
Not even enough to cover the Demare Carroll dead money...so disgusting...

Chinook
03-25-2021, 05:55 PM
Wow... all right, so I think PATFO was playing 1D chess and still lost.

How to salvage... okay so they should have enough salary space to fill out their roster, even if they waive Chriss. Folks shouldn't forget that his whole contract goes against the Spurs' tax line, not just the remaining bit covered by cash. So the Spurs probably only have like $1.7 Million to use. That's enough for 10-days and to sign guys long-term with the MLE. But obviously, it has nothing to do with Europe or anything cool.

Pure doodoo. Doodoo squared, to be honest.

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 05:57 PM

How to salvage... okay so they should have enough salary space to fill out their roster, even if they waive Chriss. Folks shouldn't forget that his whole contract goes against the Spurs' tax line, not just the remaining bit covered by cash. So the Spurs probably only have like $1.7 Million to use. That's enough for 10-days and to sign guys long-term with the MLE. But obviously, it has nothing to do with Europe or anything cool.

Timvp mentioned in another thread that they might not even be able to waive Chriss for insurance purposes.

NASpurs
03-25-2021, 05:57 PM
$2.7 million.

*deep breath *

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

timvp
03-25-2021, 05:59 PM

Yeah, by my quick math, the Spurs have $1.8 million and change to spend.

I need log out before that number goes any lower, tbh.

Chinook
03-25-2021, 06:02 PM
Timvp mentioned in another thread that they might not even be able to waive Chriss for insurance purposes.

Eh, I can't imagine PATFO would be that cheap. Like, even with all this, I straight cannot imagine it.

John B
03-25-2021, 06:02 PM
Now it's 2.8? :lmao

MultiTroll
03-25-2021, 06:03 PM
Aldridge / Pop slurpers already swallowed. :lmao

Let us know if you're ready to be deprogrammed.
Operators are standing by.

Prime BEEF
03-25-2021, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I've heard some spin trying to paint this as a typical cap maneuver. But it's not. It's a straight cash grab, tbh. Even the terrible Scola trade was done to legitimately duck under the luxury tax. This trade was done to profit.

It may become a moot point if the Spurs have someone in mind who costs ~$4 million but, otherwise, it's at the very least worrisome going forward.
Bingo

Dverde
03-25-2021, 06:05 PM
$2.7 million.

The NBA’s 10+ year veteran minimum is
2,564,753. So I’m guessing that part is prorated and he gets about a 1/3 of that from his new team. So he gave up less than 2.7M

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:05 PM
Yeah, by my quick math, the Spurs have $1.8 million and change to spend.

I need log out before that number goes any lower, tbh.

Time to exhale timvp. Join us.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Eh, I can't imagine PATFO would be that cheap. Like, even with all this, I straight cannot imagine it.

:lol bruh, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Time to exhale timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8). Join us.

Yeah, he’s one of us now. It took a while, but he’s seen the light.

RD2191
03-25-2021, 06:07 PM
And yes, this should do a lot toward securing LMA's legacy as a Spur. He basically took a straight contract termination in order to move on. That's a far cry from Leonard getting paid to sit. Really, even if he hated it in SA, LMA had the leverage to give back way less. This shows why SA didn't jump on just any trade for him and why they were willing to announce he was leaving no matter what so early. This probably isn't (just) a "touches" thing. He seems to want his ring if he's willing to give up about $6 Million to get it. It's like a David West-esque sacrifice.

God speed, Aldridge. Classy move at the end. Hopefully PATFO can do something with the money besides line the owners' pockets.
Too soon, Jr.

Chinook
03-25-2021, 06:09 PM
Too soon, Jr.

Yeah. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing that SA is actually sending the money to his new team so that he can be properly compensated. This is really bad.

CGD
03-25-2021, 06:09 PM
Is it me, but did Shams have a bad day today?

mo7888
03-25-2021, 06:11 PM

No doubt....he's gonna really have to up his game by the draft to remain relevant..

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:11 PM
Yeah. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing that SA is actually sending the money to his new team so that he can be properly compensated. This is really bad.

We’re still paying Carroll and Gasol I think, might as well add more to the checkbooks.

RD2191
03-25-2021, 06:12 PM
:rollin

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 06:12 PM
Quick thoughts:

:lol So much for that. This is the same piece of shit that demanded a trade from two different teams because he wasn't satisfied with being the second option to both Lillard and Nephew. Spurs show him loyalty by guaranteeing him 25 mil when he's only owed 7 mil and he proceeds to piss on their faces on the way out.

objective
03-25-2021, 06:20 PM
Call it informed speculation, but I think what happened is Aldridge had agreed to the large buyout, but once his agent realized the Spurs had committed to get Chriss deal and no other deals to lessen the tax burden, he knew he could squeeze the Spurs into paying a lot more.

Threatening to take zero pay cut and forcing the Spurs into the tax made the Spurs fold like cheap sheets.

Spurs got wrecked AGAIN

SpurPadre
03-25-2021, 06:21 PM

Not any worse than Spurs fans, tbh.

duncan2150
03-25-2021, 06:23 PM
We’re still paying Carroll and Gasol I think, might as well add more to the checkbooks.

haha not gasol but caroll 6 M this year and 1.2 M next year.

SpurPadre
03-25-2021, 06:26 PM
Ok, is it down to $7.25 yet?

Mugen
03-25-2021, 06:31 PM
:lmao

Mugen
03-25-2021, 06:34 PM
It's been a rough day for the Sniff Crew tbh.

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 06:36 PM
So it's true that Chriss can't be waived. Pop just released a statement saying how much of a high character guy Chriss is. He's covering for ownership. Disastrous trade deadline when you combine this with LMA giving back practically nothing.

baseline bum
03-25-2021, 06:37 PM
Keep expecting to come in this thread an hour later and see the Spurs guaranteed Aldridge 2021-22 money too.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:39 PM
Keep expecting to come in this thread an hour later and see the Spurs guaranteed Aldridge 2021-22 money too.

For all we know they did to get ownership even more money.

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 06:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QxQl1zi.gif

Leetonidas
03-25-2021, 06:41 PM
Rofl it gets worse:lmao fuckin Spurs FO is a joke now

timvp
03-25-2021, 06:44 PM
So it's true that Chriss can't be waived. Pop just released a statement saying how much of a high character guy Chriss is. He's covering for ownership. Disastrous trade deadline when you combine this with LMA giving back practically nothing.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me.

I was 99% sure the source was BSing about the insurance angle ... but it looks legit. I can't even remember a time a team traded for a player and kept him around for insurance purposes. I hold out some hope that it's not true because that's unprecedented, AFAIK.

gospursgojas
03-25-2021, 06:49 PM
Can someone explain the insurance angle and how it helps ownership save money?

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 06:49 PM
Ownership has signaled that they have no faith in this team and they will look to make money wherever they can(I partially don't blame them after three consecutive years of buyouts). Only hope at this point would be to tank the rest of the season and nab someone in the lottery that can make a difference to change the ownership's mind. We desperately need a franchise player.

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:50 PM

The insurance covers his contract as long as he remains on the roster, since he was ruled out for the season way back in the start of the season. The Spurs front office took money from the Warriors to take him, so it clears a roster spot for the Warriors as well as less cap space hit.

gospursgojas
03-25-2021, 06:51 PM
The insurance covers his contract as long as he remains on the roster, since he was ruled out for the season way back in the start of the season. The Spurs front office took money from the Warriors to take him.

Thanks. So if they waive him spurs are on hook for his money and not insurance, correct?

BillMc
Time to exhale timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8). Join us.

https://confusingmiddle.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/luke-skywalker-ill-never-join-you.gif?w=354&h=151

mo7888

Basically, we sold a roster spot that's now unusable...

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:53 PM
Thanks. So if they waive him spurs are on hook for his money and not insurance, correct?

Correct. Waiving him nulls the insurance.

timvp
03-25-2021, 06:55 PM

That's what I'm hearing ... although I don't know if that's accurate, tbh. NBA contracts and insurance is a murky world. Insurance companies have limits of how many players they cover and can omit certain players from coverage, etc. But it's safe to say if the Spurs don't release a player who they got paid to take who is out for the season, the reason he's not waived is 100% insurance related.

gambit1990
03-25-2021, 06:57 PM
it's like having a second trey lyles.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:58 PM
https://confusingmiddle.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/luke-skywalker-ill-never-join-you.gif?w=354&h=151

https://media.tenor.com/images/3a7bbcf8baf2b8772803b492b9eadda4/tenor.gif

timvp
03-25-2021, 06:58 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z2S9zF7Y7e6Sk/source.gif

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 06:59 PM

Isn't this something lottery teams do? A team that's firmly in the playoff hunt doing this is really bad. Cannot imagine the kind of shit show it is in the Spurs front office right now.

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:59 PM

I would argue a wheelchair bound Chris is more valuable than Lyles at this point.

Leetonidas
03-25-2021, 07:01 PM
Spurs are moving to Las Vegas soon, aren't they :lol

timtonymanu
Good riddance to a career loser, who truly only put himself over the team. :cry buh buh he made them a good team two more years. Whatever, go retire you soft faggot.

Chomag
Fo getting hosed and abused again....damn man I wish where I work was this lenient with fucking up lol

Spurs FO probably is a laughing stock in the GM world right now.

timtonymanu
03-25-2021, 07:02 PM
And the front office getting cucked like usual but they will stay classy like always while veterans continue fucking them over

mo7888
03-25-2021, 07:04 PM
Isn't this something lottery teams do? A team that's firmly in the playoff hunt doing this is really bad. Cannot imagine the kind of shit show it is in the Spurs front office right now.

Yep...there's no way to put a positive spin on today...

The Truth #6
03-25-2021, 07:13 PM
Noon: Ahh, fuck that guy.

3:30pm: 7.25 million back in buyout...LMA is a champ. Thank you for all the great years!

5:30pm: 5.8 million. Ok, not as good. But still better then we expected. Wish you the best. Just don't go to the Lakers! Ha ha.

7:30pm: 2.7 million. Ugh. What deals did we turn down to get hosed like this?

8:00pm: Ahh, fuck that guy.

gospursgojas
03-25-2021, 07:17 PM
Yep...there's no way to put a positive spin on today...

Yep. Basketball aside, as Timvp is saying, this is not a good sign of where the front office mentality is at. I’m more bummed about that than not getting Gordon, Lauri, or whatever other rumor there was.

SpurPadre
03-25-2021, 07:23 PM
I still blame Load Management for getting this franchise murked but at a certain point, PATFO have to take some blame for the current state of affairs.

Dverde
03-25-2021, 07:26 PM
Noon: Ahh, fuck that guy.

3:30pm: 7.25 million back in buyout...LMA is a champ. Thank you for all the great years!

5:30pm: 5.8 million. Ok, not as good. But still better then we expected. Wish you the best. Just don't go to the Lakers! Ha ha.

7:30pm: 2.7 million. Ugh. What deals did we turn down to get hosed like this?

8:00pm: Ahh, fuck that guy.

Still can join the Clippers.

Chomag
03-25-2021, 07:26 PM
I honestly don't understand what this FO is doing. Honest question wtf is their plan here?

Joseph Kony
03-25-2021, 07:27 PM
I honestly don't understand what this FO is doing. Honest question wtf is their plan here?

pinch pennies

RC_Drunkford
03-25-2021, 07:30 PM

ride it out until Flopovich has the alltime winning record

gambit1990
03-25-2021, 07:33 PM
free agency is worrisome.

the spurs missed out on talent even when they were contenders...

Prime BEEF
03-25-2021, 07:37 PM
ride it out until Flopovich has the alltime winning record
Gross. Looks like he’s 36 wins from taking the lead. He’ll need another season to get that

Sugus
03-25-2021, 07:40 PM
Gross. Looks like he’s 36 wins from taking the lead. He’ll need another season to get that

He might need even more than one season if he keeps coaching the Spurs like he has, tbh :lol

Prime BEEF
03-25-2021, 07:47 PM
He might need even more than one season if he keeps coaching the Spurs like he has, tbh :lol
Fair point. Not at all optimistic about the offseason

Chomag
03-25-2021, 08:00 PM
What baffles me is hearing some think Spurs have a good shot at some good free agents this coming off-season. My Dudes, spurs struggled at getting good free agents to come here even when they were winning championships.

Degoat
03-25-2021, 08:10 PM
Exactly everyone that was against trading for a contract that would limit us in free agency, we’re not gonna get anybody in free agency!!

slick'81
03-25-2021, 08:26 PM
:lmao People kissing his ass like he did the spurs a favor

Russ
03-25-2021, 08:37 PM
Exactly everyone that was against trading for a contract that would limit us in free agency, we’re not gonna get anybody in free agency!!

I hate to be contrarian, but I think the Spurs did pretty well.

Their plan may be to save money, yes, but not to sign free agents.

Their inertia may not be not spawned by paralysis but rather by their realization that they're ahead of where they thought they'd be.

Therefore, job #1 is to not screw that up by making some constricting "trade deadline" move. The Spurs are gonna have a lot of options (apart from free agents) and they want to keep them.

RC_Drunkford
03-25-2021, 08:37 PM
What baffles me is hearing some think Spurs have a good shot at some good free agents this coming off-season. My Dudes, spurs struggled at getting good free agents to come here even when they were winning championships.

not only that, but there are almost no good ones available. Maybe a handful, but the rest is a bunch of garbage

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 08:39 PM
I hate to be contrarian, but I think the Spurs did pretty well.

Their plan may be to save money, yes, but not to sign free agents.

Their inertia may not be not spawned by paralysis but rather by their realization that they're ahead of where they thought they'd be.

Therefore, job #1 is to not screw that up by making some constricting "trade deadline" move. The Spurs are gonna have a lot of options (apart from free agents) and they want to keep them.

:lol yeah, to sell roster spots for the ownerships' pockets

gambit1990
03-25-2021, 08:42 PM
i wonder what trades they turned down...

KobesAchilles
03-25-2021, 08:43 PM
Where is everyone defending Brian Wrong? Get in here and defend this shit. The Spurs have had a bottom 5 front office for over 4 years and everyone here was constantly defending them. I even made a post about how so much turmoil in the organization would fuck us going forward and everyone just swept it under the rug.

I will say it again, you can’t lose your franchise player, all the good assistant coaches, the GM and his protégée as well as the best owner in the league in a matter or a few years and expect us to be good going forward. Those days are gone. And anyone who argued with me on that point looks really stupid right now

BackHome
03-25-2021, 08:44 PM

Maybe he can teach Poodle how to dunk?

timtonymanu
03-25-2021, 08:45 PM
Where is everyone defending Brian Wrong? Get in here and defend this shit. The Spurs have had a bottom 5 front office for over 4 years and everyone here was constantly defending them. I even made a post about how so much turmoil in the organization would fuck us going forward and everyone just swept it under the rug.

I will say it again, you can’t lose your franchise player, all the good assistant coaches, the GM and his protégée as well as the best owner in the league in a matter or a few years and expect us to be good going forward. Those days are gone. And anyone who argued with me on that point looks really stupid right now

I think people believe it’s natural for some down years in the front office but holy crap has PATFO been garbage. I called them the good guy version of the Knicks last year. These moves have been Isaiah Thomas GM level bad

DPG21920
03-25-2021, 08:48 PM

You ignoring me bruv?

ducks
03-25-2021, 08:54 PM

Pop the liberal is so fucking stupid

tbdog
03-25-2021, 09:00 PM
I'll reserve judgment until free agency. It seems pretty obvious that they favouring cap space.

KobesAchilles
03-25-2021, 09:02 PM
I think people believe it’s natural for some down years in the front office but holy crap has PATFO been garbage. I called them the good guy version of the Knicks last year. These moves have been Isaiah Thomas GM level bad
It’s weird bc people here really downplayed how important management was for our franchise. They just assumed we were ok bc we had Pop still and RC was only semi-retired from his role. But we don’t have a leader as an owner. We don’t have one as a GM. We don’t have anybody on the coaching staff to put Pop in check and Pop himself is basically a shell of himself. Is there anyone we have right now in the front office that we can trust? Serious question. No troll

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 09:03 PM
I'll reserve judgment until free agency. It seems pretty obvious that they favouring cap space.

:lol preserving cap space to maximize ownership profits

DPG21920

If that’s true why sign Jakob and eat into what could have been near 2 full vet max slots? You can also trade and not take on long salaries.

Spurs front office is completely inept outside of the draft. I’ve never seen such a fall from grace. They are a laughing stock and should be embarrassed.

Yeah yeah, I do like the youth and they still have solid space but that’s not the point. They are not sharp, behind most NBA front offices in terms of creativity and have absolutely mis managed the majority of assets and are completely stuck in no mans land organizationally

Robz4000
It’s weird bc people here really downplayed how important management was for our franchise. They just assumed we were ok bc we had Pop still and RC was only semi-retired from his role. But we don’t have a leader as an owner. We don’t have one as a GM. We don’t have anybody on the coaching staff to put Pop in check and Pop himself is basically a shell of himself. Is there anyone we have right now in the front office that we can trust? Serious question. No troll

Supposedly Danny Ferry but he might just be in an advisory role.

KobesAchilles
03-25-2021, 09:04 PM
What was your judgement when we picked up LMA’s extra year for no reason? I mean that’s what got us in this mess to begin with

Rummpd
03-25-2021, 09:06 PM
Total FAIL by FO on him and DDR and no bs spin needed. Sham

KobesAchilles
03-25-2021, 09:07 PM
Supposedly Danny Ferry but he might just be in an advisory role.
I would love for him to take over as GM. He did a wonderful job for ATL besides the whole him reading a scouting report about a guy that was dead balls accurate. The guy stole like 72 million from LA :lol

KlAWKLAMP Redemption
03-25-2021, 09:09 PM
Such a joke and disgrace of a situation.He cry’s ,quits and then gets rewarded.I guess it’s indicative of the day
we are living in....sigh...

RC_Drunkford
03-25-2021, 09:14 PM

Should've just promoted Sean Marks earlier instead of giving Brian Wright the position a year later. I doubt Marks would've went to the Nets if he got the GM job for the Spurs

timvp
03-25-2021, 09:17 PM
Yeah yeah, I do like the youth and they still have solid space but that’s not the point. They are not sharp, behind most NBA front offices in terms of creativity

Tbh, it was really creative to trade for a player who's out for the season and keep him on your roster to get the insurance money. Never heard of that one before.

cjw
03-25-2021, 09:17 PM
If that’s true why sign Jakob and eat into what could have been near 2 full vet max slots? You can also trade and not take on long salaries.

Spurs front office is completely inept outside of the draft. I’ve never seen such a fall from grace. They are a laughing stock and should be embarrassed.

Yeah yeah, I do like the youth and they still have solid space but that’s not the point. They are not sharp, behind most NBA front offices in terms of creativity and have absolutely mis managed the majority of assets and are completely stuck in no mans land organizationally

There aren’t two max players available in free agency. And if there magically were, you have no problem trading Poeltl making less than $20mm over the next two years this summer.

They’ve hit it out of the park in the draft as you say. I’m not happy with standing pat at the deadline, but reserve judgment to see what they do this summer.

Sugus
03-25-2021, 09:21 PM
Tbh, it was really creative to trade for a player who's out for the season and keep him on your roster to get the insurance money. Never heard of that one before.

When's the deadline for cutting Chriss? Or can they do that at any point in the season? Just curious, I'm not expecting it whatsoever :lol

DPG21920
03-25-2021, 09:31 PM

Major TBH

DPG21920
03-25-2021, 09:33 PM
There aren’t two max players available in free agency. And if there magically were, you have no problem trading Poeltl making less than $20mm over the next two years this summer.

They’ve hit it out of the park in the draft as you say. I’m not happy with standing pat at the deadline, but reserve judgment to see what they do this summer.

Fair I guess. But trade Jakob? They can’t trade out of a paper bag and we think they won’t get fleeced if they had to trade to make something work? He’s not good enough to take that situation out of your own hands.

These are sort of separate things. They could win a title next year and it wouldn’t change the critique of these specific areas.

DAF86
03-25-2021, 09:49 PM
Those edits :lmao:lmao:lmao

Chinook
03-25-2021, 09:56 PM
When's the deadline for cutting Chriss? Or can they do that at any point in the season? Just curious, I'm not expecting it whatsoever :lol

Eh, so there's not really a deadline. The most relevant one is probably the deadline to have players eligible for the playoff roster, which is 04/09. But if they only care about signing guys who haven't been bought out, they can go all the way until the end of the regular season.

The Spurs will probably keep Chriss for as long as possible to maximize the insurance payments before dumping him for a prospect on a long-term deal. Like, that's possible. Can't put it past the FO to continue to fuck up though.

tbdog
03-25-2021, 10:05 PM
What was your judgement when we picked up LMA’s extra year for no reason? I mean that’s what got us in this mess to begin with

It made no difference with our cap. It was just a waste of money from ownership

tbdog
03-25-2021, 10:07 PM

Because Poeltl was signed on a good and tradable contract. Also, I don't think Spurs are going after a max..

tbdog
03-25-2021, 10:08 PM
:lol preserving cap space to maximize ownership profits

We will see.

rogcl1
03-25-2021, 10:10 PM

This ! Very simple.

The Truth #6
03-25-2021, 10:19 PM
Feels like a huge failure today. But can’t tell who is making all these bad choices. Ownership? Pop in trying to compete when we should be rebuilding? Between the owners, Pop, and Brian Wright, I see Wright having the least amount of influence, but if someone knows otherwise then I’d love to hear.

rogcl1
03-25-2021, 10:19 PM

He sucks. We already have one big man that can't shoot outside of point blank range at the basket. And Jacob is much more versatile.

ginobilized
03-25-2021, 10:42 PM
It's hard to see what their plan really is moving forward.
Seems very confused and/or conflicted internally. It may be difficult to put people in seats once things open up.
It doesn't make sense to me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-25-2021, 10:43 PM
LOL, another epic fail by Pop and his merry simulator crew.

Dex
03-25-2021, 10:45 PM
Yeah....I trust the system and all, but this is a fail on PATFO. They are just giving away money at this point.

DPG21920
03-25-2021, 11:07 PM
Because Poeltl was signed on a good and tradable contract. Also, I don't think Spurs are going after a max..

Spurs and trading :lol

DPG21920
03-25-2021, 11:09 PM
PATFO: we won’t tank. It’s not in our ethos. We are trying to win and make playoffs and that’s our goal. We are asking all the guys to buy in and put in the work.

*Guys see PATFO trade for a broken leg player and let LMA go for nothing to another competing team*

PATFO: we can assure you we are serious about winning.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 11:14 PM
PATFO: we won’t tank. It’s not in our ethos. We are trying to win and make playoffs and that’s our goal. We are asking all the guys to buy in and put in the work.

*Guys see PATFO trade for a broken leg player and let LMA go for nothing to another competing team*

PATFO: we can assure you we are serious about winning.

Forgot to add in RC's slurring and Pop dozing off/breaking off into a rant about current events but otherwise spot on.

DeRozan m8
03-25-2021, 11:40 PM
Wish we never got this quitting diva

suitedkings
03-25-2021, 11:46 PM
Shoulda traded him the first time he quit on the team several seasons ago.

J_Paco
03-26-2021, 12:08 AM
I called all this months ago, except the trading for an injured player to save ownership money (back to the cheap Red McCombs days we come), but ST acting like the writing wasn't on the wall.

It sucks they are "standing pat" and didn't offload LaMarcus or Rudy (clearly they had little trade value), yet they also didn't absorb any shitty contracts and might have another lottery pick in tow (free fall in the standings imminent)....

It sucks but all the success and fun went out the door with Nephew, now we all gotta hope the Spurs don't end up like the Bulls, Jazz or Knicks...

This is reality punching everyone in the face and letting use know how the rest of the league has felt like (look at all the obnoxious celebrating by LAC).

Budkin
03-26-2021, 12:21 AM
It’s time for new ownership, management, and coaching. Top to bottom.

Prime BEEF
03-26-2021, 06:59 AM
Agreed. Need to start over fresh. The current guys have no plan at all besides letting pop stay until he gets the all time wins record. Oh and arguing over pancakes and waffles.

Dex
03-26-2021, 11:22 AM
This thread title reads like Marv Albert's commentary.

J_Paco
03-26-2021, 11:37 AM

Again, that doesn't guarantee anything either. The Kings went from the cheapskate Maloof family, almost being moved to Seattle, the NBA blocking the move then finding a suitor that would keep them in Sacramento, getting new everything and they still suck.

The team needs to keep drafting well, somehow find a superstar and hope/pray that another coach/GM duo surrounds them with enough talent to win.

rjv
03-26-2021, 12:20 PM
the whole notion of having money left to sign a FA is predicated on the notion that there is actually a FA out there that is worth signing. if LMA is considered one of the most coveted FAs out there, and we just dumped him because of how bad he is, then how can there be another FA out there that's worth a damn? i'm not going to judge this until we get to the end of the summer and see where we're at with any FA signings and transactions made in preparation for the 2021-22 season.

SpursDynasty85
03-26-2021, 12:36 PM
the whole notion of having money left to sign a FA is predicated on the notion that there is actually a FA out there that is worth signing. if LMA is considered one of the most coveted FAs out there, and we just dumped him because of how bad he is, then how can there be another FA out there that's worth a damn? i'm not going to judge this until we get to the end of the summer and see where we're at with any FA signings and transactions made in preparation for the 2021-22 season.

Gotta put other factors into consideration. A post-buyout Aldridge of course is enticing. Most these type of guys sign for the vet. min. however, Aldridge might be seeking a long-term contract for money. Let's see what type of contract he gets before making those statements. We released him because he could've gone to LA, NY, Phoenix pretty much all the places most guys like him could've gone but he chose the Spurs and did his best here. Buying him out at this stage of his contract should be a little surprising but not when you consider he was going to leave in free agency afterward anyway and we want the cap space to replace him.

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2021, 12:37 PM
there are no good free agents. Collins, Holmes and Jarrett Allen are the best FAs out there and they most likely will resign with their team

SpursDynasty85
03-26-2021, 12:41 PM
there are no good free agents. Collins, Holmes and Jarrett Allen are the best FAs out there and they most likely will resign with their team

Restricted free agent Markkanen, Olynyk, Montrez, you can add to the list of players that would help our team. Also Maybe Spurs do not need to spend this summer. Save millions and plan for a big splash next summer and the eventual money you have to pay the young guys. With the pandemic, I imagine budgeting for the future has become a big priority as well.

cd98
03-26-2021, 12:48 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens with cap space. They say it's worth less now that players sign shorter deals. But the NBA propped up the salary cap this year. What happens going forward? Surely, the cap will drop and that will hurt some teams that are over the cap. It's possible that the Spurs can use their cap space to buy draft picks. So even if they can't land the best free agents, they can still use their cap space for other things. Or they can save it and use it for the extensions of the players that they are investing to develop.

Dverde
03-26-2021, 01:04 PM
Restricted free agent Markkanen, Olynyk, Montrez, you can add to the list of players that would help our team. Also Maybe Spurs do not need to spend this summer. Save millions and plan for a big splash next summer and the eventual money you have to pay the young guys. With the pandemic, I imagine budgeting for the future has become a big priority as well.

Spurs are obviously targeting injured players. Make sure you are checking the disabled lists and injury reserve. :hungry: #3dchess #ciapop

mo7888
03-26-2021, 01:09 PM

Olynyk or Montrez on a 2 year deal (even if it's a PO in year two) would help in different ways. Lauri on an $18M/yr would be fine... We should also get involved at the draft in the trade market with either White or Murray and in FA trying to S&T DDR.... of course we don't do trades here so I guess that's out...

rjv
03-26-2021, 01:20 PM

just a heads up: this is a Chinook trigger. but i do like the idea of markkanen. one thing we know for certain is that the spurs are in dire need of spacing and this means they need consistent three point threats.

Budkin
03-26-2021, 01:52 PM
Again, that doesn't guarantee anything either. The Kings went from the cheapskate Maloof family, almost being moved to Seattle, the NBA blocking the move then finding a suitor that would keep them in Sacramento, getting new everything and they still suck.

The team needs to keep drafting well, somehow find a superstar and hope/pray that another coach/GM duo surrounds them with enough talent to win.

That's a good point as well. We are basically in a similar market to the Kings, who can't attract FAs until we actually have a decent team on the cusp.

Chinook
03-26-2021, 03:25 PM
just a heads up: this is a Chinook trigger. but i do like the idea of markkanen. one thing we know for certain is that the spurs are in dire need of spacing and this means they need consistent three point threats.

I'm not "triggered" by like Markkannen. My issue was with folks trying to moneyball their big free-agent signing. If they think Collins is the best PF on the market, and he is able to be had, then you sign Collins, even if he costs more. Thinking, "Collins isn't worth the max -- he's only worth like $22 Million a year. So we'll just pick up Mark for $18 Million a year to get better value even though he's not as good" is a loser move. But if Lauri is who the FO wants or (what is way more likely) Collins isn't available for any price, then signing Markkannen is fine. But the Spurs need a talent infusion more than anything else. Their goal in free agency should be to get the most talented players that they can, not to get the best "bang for their buck".

lmbebo
03-26-2021, 03:32 PM
Side topic : But does this move show a deeper financial problem that ownership has? They were looking at VC/PE buying the group within the last year.

rjv
03-26-2021, 04:05 PM
I'm not "triggered" by like Markkannen. My issue was with folks trying to moneyball their big free-agent signing. If they think Collins is the best PF on the market, and he is able to be had, then you sign Collins, even if he costs more. Thinking, "Collins isn't worth the max -- he's only worth like $22 Million a year. So we'll just pick up Mark for $18 Million a year to get better value even though he's not as good" is a loser move. But if Lauri is who the FO wants or (what is way more likely) Collins isn't available for any price, then signing Markkannen is fine. But the Spurs need a talent infusion more than anything else. Their goal in free agency should be to get the most talented players that they can, not to get the best "bang for their buck".

i was referring to the bolded part of the text:
Cap space only matters insofar as it relates to opportunity cost, and having $10 Million in cap space lying around is basically irrelevant to rebuilding.

A lot of people seem to want the Spurs to run like they're a household. There's no upside to saving cap space.

and while the spurs do need a talent infusion, collins may be the only available FA that fits that description. i doubt he lands here, in which case the spurs will have to address needs.

poopbox
03-26-2021, 04:45 PM

They need to worry more about fit than talent. It's not that collins is a "better" basketball player than Lauri its that the way Collins plays basketball is a better fit for this team than the way Lauri plays.

Demar has high level basketball talent but he is an exceptionally poor fit on a team where we got 3 guards who prefer to drive and kick, meaning we need somebody to stand on the perimeter to catch and shoot...and you know who HATES to catch and shoot...Derozan

Chinook
03-26-2021, 05:21 PM
They need to worry more about fit than talent. It's not that collins is a "better" basketball player than Lauri its that the way Collins plays basketball is a better fit for this team than the way Lauri plays.

Demar has high level basketball talent but he is an exceptionally poor fit on a team where we got 3 guards who prefer to drive and kick, meaning we need somebody to stand on the perimeter to catch and shoot...and you know who HATES to catch and shoot...Derozan

They don't need to worry about fit. There's no one on the roster right now who's good enough to direct talent flow. DeRozan is the only one with a chance, but he's too flawed and might be too old. You certainly don't worry about guys like Murray, White, Walker or Johnson when it comes to a max free agent.

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 05:35 PM
They don't need to worry about fit. There's no one on the roster right now who's good enough to direct talent flow. DeRozan is the only one with a chance, but he's too flawed and might be too old. You certainly don't worry about guys like Murray, White, Walker or Johnson when it comes to a max free agent.

Outside of obviously Kawhi, and if we were just filling the team for talent sake and ignoring positions, my number one guy would be Jrue Holiday. Have no problem maxing him out.

TD 21
03-26-2021, 05:42 PM

I agree in theory. In reality, they've already committed to Murray, Poeltl and White, Johnson seems well on his way (probably Vassell too and the book isn't closed on Walker IV and Samanic) and as we all know, they have an extreme aversion to trades.

I can't imagine them going for a pure talent grab irrespective of fit.

duncan2150
03-26-2021, 05:49 PM
I agree in theory. In reality, they've already committed to Murray, Poeltl and White, Johnson seems well on his way (probably Vassell too and the book isn't closed on Walker IV and Samanic) and as we all know, they have an extreme aversion to trades.

I can't imagine them going for a pure talent grab irrespective of fit.

I tend to agree but i'm not sure about poetl. With what you said about the fit they will be crazy to don't try collins and markannen.

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2021, 06:01 PM
I'm just wondering who are they spending the 50 million on? I assume a lot of y'all haven't seen the 2021 FA class. My money is still on the Spurs reupping DeRozan, Mills and Gay and maybe adding 1 back up big

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

SpursDynasty85
03-26-2021, 06:11 PM

that’s understandable but to counter shrewd budget signings are what allow teams to get the “real talent”. Has to be a balance and ultimately the player has to want to come.

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 06:28 PM
I'm just wondering who are they spending the 50 million on? I assume a lot of y'all haven't seen the 2021 FA class. My money is still on the Spurs reupping DeRozan, Mills and Gay and maybe adding 1 back up big

I know the Spurs would re-up at least one of those guys.

My guys from free agency:

Jrue Holiday
Evan Fournier
Tony Snell
Spencer Dinwiddie
Norman Powell
Duncan Robinson
Talen Horton Tucker

Maybe some more if I watched the other guys, but haven't had time to.

TDMVPDPOY
03-26-2021, 06:44 PM
whoever the spurms fo get, the player wont be getting any minutes anyway

mo7888
03-26-2021, 06:46 PM

Assuming we don't trade anyone away (seems like a safe assumption), I want a backup center and then 2 or 3 guys that shoot over 40% from 3...

Dejounte
To be fair, I think some players that we don't know are going to be available.

ATL is going to have a problem being hard capped after maxing Collins.

I know people don't think the Spurs make trades and that's fair. But I think during the offseason it's different.

Nabbing someone like Bogi to give some team cap relief would be a nice acquisition.

RC_Drunkford
I know the Spurs would re-up at least one of those guys.

My guys from free agency:

Jrue Holiday
Evan Fournier
Tony Snell
Spencer Dinwiddie
Norman Powell
Duncan Robinson
Talen Horton Tucker

Maybe some more if I watched the other guys, but haven't had time to.

I don't see how any rotation guards make sense on this team, we have plenty. Mine are:

Collins (very unlikely due to the reports that came out recently)
Richaun Holmes
Jarrett Allen
Duncan Robinson
Markkanen
Harry Giles (3rd stringer)
Daniel Theis (back up C)

other than that there are either players on the wrong side of 30 or G-League players available. I really don't see how this team will get better next season unless they get a DeRozan sign and trade done. They should also be super serious about moving up in the draft. Maybe there are some players in Europe worth taking a look at.

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 06:50 PM
I don't see how any rotation guards make sense on this team, we have plenty. THT we can't sign cause he's a RFA in the West, only East teams can make offers. Mine are:

Collins (very unlikely due to the reports that came out recently)
Richaun Holmes
Jarrett Allen
Duncan Robinson
Markkanen
Harry Giles (3rd stringer)
Daniel Theis (back up C)

other than that there are either players on the wrong side of 30 or G-League players available. I really don't see how this team will get better next season unless they get a DeRozan sign and trade done. They should also be super serious about moving up in the draft. Maybe there are some players in Europe worth taking a look at.

The fuck is that rule? Wow. So crazy I've never heard of it.

I wish I had a resource to find out which Euro players are doing good right now and also want to come to the NBA.

See, my thing with acquiring a big is that I don't want to spend too much on it. I think bigs with a three point shot can easily be found in the dirt. We don't need to spend too much on that, especially when it doesn't need to be a starting C. We just need someone good enough to be a backup big.

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2021, 06:52 PM
The fuck is that rule? Wow. So crazy I've never heard of it.

I wish I had a resource to find out which Euro players are doing good right now and also want to come to the NBA.

See, my thing with acquiring a big is that I don't want to spend too much on it. I think bigs with a three point shot can easily be found in the dirt. We don't need to spend too much on that, especially when it doesn't need to be a starting C. We just need someone good enough to be a backup big.

true I'm just curious how to improve the roster? Like this team ain't good enough at any position. PF is obviously the biggest problem, but other than Collins and Markkanen there ain't much to add

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 06:56 PM
true I'm just curious how to improve the roster? Like this team ain't good enough at any position. PF is obviously the biggest problem, but other than Collins and Markkanen there ain't much to add

Honestly,

Guards WITH talent are abundant in this league.

Above average PF's aren't. They're super rare. I'd rather recycle through cheap bigs every year and keep drafting high upside guys (just like Samanic) until we find one that blows up. We don't want to be stuck with a Lyles-type big that we're overpaying over $20 mil.

This is why I'm okay with investing in more guards or wings (preferably wing). We need guys who have gravity on offense, and that's usually your guards. Lacking that right now, but maybe someone on the team puts in the work to make the leap for next season. Murray has the speed to do it. Keldon needs a shot and playmaking vision to do it, otherwise he's already pretty damn good at driving to the basket.

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2021, 07:25 PM
Honestly,

Guards WITH talent are abundant in this league.

Above average PF's aren't. They're super rare. I'd rather recycle through cheap bigs every year and keep drafting high upside guys (just like Samanic) until we find one that blows up. We don't want to be stuck with a Lyles-type big that we're overpaying over $20 mil.

This is why I'm okay with investing in more guards or wings (preferably wing). We need guys who have gravity on offense, and that's usually your guards. Lacking that right now, but maybe someone on the team puts in the work to make the leap for next season. Murray has the speed to do it. Keldon needs a shot and playmaking vision to do it, otherwise he's already pretty damn good at driving to the basket.

I mean Murray and White are fine, they just need to shoot about 4% better from 3. The issue with the team is forwards and back up big men. We just lack size. But yeah, the type of players we need are super rare right now

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 07:33 PM
I mean Murray and White are fine, they just need to shoot about 4% better from 3. The issue with the team is forwards and back up big men. We just lack size. But yeah, the type of players we need are super rare right now

Yup, can't count how many times our offense/defense falls apart when we have Eubanks out there. Dude makes the dumbest mistakes. Man, if Luka can make gigantic leaps like I think he can then it solves all of our problems.

poopbox
03-26-2021, 08:25 PM

Of course you do, because they are the ones with multi year contracts. And that depends on what a "max free agent is"

I actually think that if its a "max free agent" that doesnt fit with murray white and keldon the spurs probably won't be very interested in them. Sort of like how LMA didn't fit with them and the spurs were fine letting him go home. Derozan doesn't really fit with them either and i am very sure he won't be back next year either.

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 08:29 PM
PG
Dejounte Murray
Patty Mills
Tre Jones
*Quinndary Weatherspoon

SG / Wing
Derrick White
Devin Vassell
*Cam Reynolds
Lonnie Walker

Big Wing
DeMar DeRozan
Keldon Johnson
Keita Bates Diop

Stretch Big
Rudy Gay
Luka Samanic
*Trey Lyles

Anchor Big
Jakob Poeltl
Drew Eubanks
*Marquese Chriss

*Low odds of being here next season

If Mills leaves, there's room for us to sign a PG to take his minutes. Maybe Kyle Lowry if it isn't too expensive and DeMar is here to stay? If not Kyle, then one of Dennis Schroder, Kris Dunn, or Frank Ntilikina.

If DeMar leaves, then Keldon is promoted to a starter and backup Big Wing is a need. Maybe that's where Cam Reynolds earns his real contract with the Spurs and they play it cheap with KBD backing Keldon up. Or they could sign Tony Snell, Evan Fournier, Otto Porter Jr., Doug McDermott, Nicholas Batum for this spot. I think the latter is more likely since we need to use up the cap space.

If DeMar is gone, I can see Luka being promoted as the starter. Lyles is definitely gone. If Rudy is gone too, that would make this position extremely weak. I think this is where you ideally invest your first round pick for high upside prospects. Then, since the free agent market is poor, maybe find an international player to add depth here.

Lastly, if Marquese Chriss isn't the answer to be our backup C then start digging up the bargain bin for a C. It shouldn't be that hard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Depth Chart, assuming Mills & DeMar both leave:

PG
Dejounte Murray
Kris Dunn
Tre Jones

SG / Wing
Derrick White
Devin Vassell
Lonnie Walker

Big Wing
Keldon Johnson
Evan Fournier
Keita Bates Diop - two way contract

Stretch Big
Luka Samanic
Rudy Gay
International Player - Dinos Mitoglou?
2021 First Round Pick

Anchor Big
Jakob Poeltl
+Bargain Bin Back-up Center
Drew Eubanks
2021 Second Round Pick - two way contract

Robz4000
03-26-2021, 08:49 PM
After the trade they made at the deadline, need to consider the fact the Spurs may not sign anyone of note and just get to the salary cap floor.

Teamduncan21
03-26-2021, 09:34 PM
If that's the case. Then it seems lauri is really the remaining choice and holmes. Things can change. We might end up getting collins.
Another is sign and trade derozan. (if any, as for example celtics got tpe for hayward. So that might not yield value)

But it seems we are trying to get as much flexibility as possible to have the salary to extend or sign trade etc

timvp
03-26-2021, 10:46 PM
we can't sign cause he's a RFA in the West, only East teams can make offers

Never heard of that rule, tbh . . . . .

Trueblood
03-27-2021, 08:29 AM
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who has been more supportive of PAFO over the years. I've always been able to identify the silver lining in most of their moves. At best I can equate them to a very smart poker player. No one likes playing poker with that guy that just folds bad hands constantly (personally I am that guy) but it usually gets results because they stay in the game longer than those who take risks and when they eventually bluff everyone believes them.

They try not to make bad moves and that usually means folding and not making any. Even the Pau trade (rightfully one of their more glaring mistakes) was meant to clear up room for a CP3 offer. They never report what they have in the works so we don't know the way other fan bases do. They play to their strengths (the draft) and they value winning and culture above all. It's been said repeatedly by some of the major outlets that after 20 years of dominance and the nephew trade that other teams don't want to trade with us. Basically we're down and they're all either kicking us or simply enjoying the show.

That being said, this all makes no sense to me. We have 4 expiring contracts, 3 of which are former all stars, and we can't find one decent trade? We buy out the first, and dare I say only, FA in his prime to come here? We know that our best player wants to walk in the off season and we can't even get 1 first rounder for him? Meanwhile OKC is nipping at our heals in the standings and consistently beating us all while sitting on what? 18 draft picks over the next 5 years? Our youth movement is supposed to be this inspiring group but they are all at best fringe all-stars. I doubt any of them ever receive an MVP vote.

At the beginning of the season I said we should trade both DDR & LA to contenders for two late first rounders (this was before LA fell off), let the young guys develop, get a high lottery pick, use the lottery pick and the two first rounders to move up as high as possible and find our next cornerstone. By the time that player developed our youth movement would be a strong established group of veterans and we could make a solid run. Instead we ran it back (the low risk move) and now we will lose DDR and Gay to FA and throw bad money to overpay some soft euro that pop can drink wine with.

The only possible reasons I could come up with is
1) they are worried about the impact of covid on the NBA and are proactively getting ready for some drastic moves by the league like lowering the cap dramatically (I know in the school I work at we're told the impact from attendance issues caused by covid are going to dramatically impact schools budgets but it takes two years before today's issues are factored into the budget; perhaps the nba is the same and the team is bracing for what the lack of fans and attendance will do to the salary cap).
2) they are desperately trying to keep the value of the team up to get ready to sell (I'm looking at you Vega's getting the raiders and then our hockey and WNBA affiliate and now want the spurs to complete the silver and black theme).
3) they believe their smarter than everyone else and they would rather play the long game of not making bad moves and waiting for the right one (this is the most likely, but if true then people's assessment that we are now the Knicks of the west is also true).

Bottom line, the SA media will never call them out and say what we're (mostly) all thinking and saying. We need TIMVP to do the writeup the MSM won't do and confront the organization with the questions the fans have that we want answered. IMO it won't do anything but someone needs to try something and at this point he has the most prominent platform to make our concerns heard.

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 08:39 AM
If that's the case. Then it seems lauri is really the remaining choice and holmes. Things can change. We might end up getting collins.
Another is sign and trade derozan. (if any, as for example celtics got tpe for hayward. So that might not yield value)

But it seems we are trying to get as much flexibility as possible to have the salary to extend or sign trade etc

https://twitter.com/MikeConti929/status/1375482070793867268?s=19

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 08:49 AM
Bottom line, the SA media will never call them out and say what we're (mostly) all thinking and saying. We need TIMVP to do the writeup the MSM won't do and confront the organization with the questions the fans have that we want answered. IMO it won't do anything but someone needs to try something and at this point he has the most prominent platform to make our concerns heard.

Good luck. Nothing's going to change. Nobody is going to create a petition. I would sign it, but it ain't happening. This forum is only a place for people to vent and throw shit at each other. Just enjoy the ride. No way the Spurs organization gives this platform a listen when it stands for everything they're against. :lmao

mo7888
03-27-2021, 09:03 AM
https://twitter.com/MikeConti929/status/1375482070793867268?s=19

The Athletic (Hollinger) is steadfast saying Atlanta was open to trading JC at the deadline but got not suitable offers.

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 09:11 AM
The Athletic (Hollinger) is steadfast saying Atlanta was open to trading JC at the deadline but got not suitable offers.

I think it was due diligence. Here's the full quote from what I shared earlier:

“We’ve been steadfast that we view John as a big part of our team, a big part of our franchise, and like with all our players, we do our due diligence to see what their value is, but I don’t think that you’ve ever heard myself or anybody else in the Hawks organization say that we don’t place great value on John. We do,” Schlenk said. “We never had any serious conversations, with any team, about moving him this year.”

mo7888
03-27-2021, 09:17 AM
I think it was due diligence. Here's the full quote from what I shared earlier:

“We’ve been steadfast that we view John as a big part of our team, a big part of our franchise, and like with all our players, we do our due diligence to see what their value is, but I don’t think that you’ve ever heard myself or anybody else in the Hawks organization say that we don’t place great value on John. We do,” Schlenk said. “We never had any serious conversations, with any team, about moving him this year.”

I think they preferred to move him but only for a real haul because they do value him. I also think they'll match his offer sheet and either look to trade him in a year or so to extract value or trade Hunter becausethey won't want to pay both the monies they'll garner.

BacktoBasics
03-27-2021, 09:31 AM
Good luck. Nothing's going to change. Nobody is going to create a petition. I would sign it, but it ain't happening. This forum is only a place for people to vent and throw shit at each other. Just enjoy the ride. No way the Spurs organization gives this platform a listen when it stands for everything they're against. :lmao

Based on all the racist, homophobic and intolerant shit said here if a member of the Spurs organization ever actually read this place they’d surely send a cease and desist letter to have their name removed.

Dverde
03-27-2021, 09:32 AM
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who has been more supportive of PAFO over the years. I've always been able to identify the silver lining in most of their moves. At best I can equate them to a very smart poker player. No one likes playing poker with that guy that just folds bad hands constantly (personally I am that guy) but it usually gets results because they stay in the game longer than those who take risks and when they eventually bluff everyone believes them.

They try not to make bad moves and that usually means folding and not making any. Even the Pau trade (rightfully one of their more glaring mistakes) was meant to clear up room for a CP3 offer. They never report what they have in the works so we don't know the way other fan bases do. They play to their strengths (the draft) and they value winning and culture above all. It's been said repeatedly by some of the major outlets that after 20 years of dominance and the nephew trade that other teams don't want to trade with us. Basically we're down and they're all either kicking us or simply enjoying the show.

That being said, this all makes no sense to me. We have 4 expiring contracts, 3 of which are former all stars, and we can't find one decent trade? We buy out the first, and dare I say only, FA in his prime to come here? We know that our best player wants to walk in the off season and we can't even get 1 first rounder for him? Meanwhile OKC is nipping at our heals in the standings and consistently beating us all while sitting on what? 18 draft picks over the next 5 years? Our youth movement is supposed to be this inspiring group but they are all at best fringe all-stars. I doubt any of them ever receive an MVP vote.

At the beginning of the season I said we should trade both DDR & LA to contenders for two late first rounders (this was before LA fell off), let the young guys develop, get a high lottery pick, use the lottery pick and the two first rounders to move up as high as possible and find our next cornerstone. By the time that player developed our youth movement would be a strong established group of veterans and we could make a solid run. Instead we ran it back (the low risk move) and now we will lose DDR and Gay to FA and throw bad money to overpay some soft euro that pop can drink wine with.

1) they are worried about the impact of covid on the NBA and are proactively getting ready for some drastic moves by the league like lowering the cap dramatically (I know in the school I work at we're told the impact from attendance issues caused by covid are going to dramatically impact schools budgets but it takes two years before today's issues are factored into the budget; perhaps the nba is the same and the team is bracing for what the lack of fans and attendance will do to the salary cap).
2) they are desperately trying to keep the value of the team up to get ready to sell (I'm looking at you Vega's getting the raiders and then our hockey and WNBA affiliate and now want the spurs to complete the silver and black theme).
3) they believe their smarter than everyone else and they would rather play the long game of not making bad moves and waiting for the right one (this is the most likely, but if true then people's assessment that we are now the Knicks of the west is also true).

As hard as it sucks, Pop did help us win championships, we just gotta accept this FO is going to let him unknowingly sabotage the franchise for a couple more years. I think things will change once he retires. GM Wright will know his free ride is over and he’ll get fired if Spurs are not winning. I think he is handcuffed by Pop (maybe also RC) from doing roster moves.

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 09:41 AM
I think they preferred to move him but only for a real haul because they do value him. I also think they'll match his offer sheet and either look to trade him in a year or so to extract value or trade Hunter becausethey won't want to pay both the monies they'll garner.

https://twitter.com/sarah_k_spence/status/1375697214123749379?s=19

Don't get me wrong. I'd love it if Collins came here. But it's looking more and more like hoping the Spurs would make a trade deadline trade. Not gonna get my hopes up for something where all the signs seem to point one way.

mo7888
03-27-2021, 09:46 AM

Don't get me wrong. I'd love it if Collins came here. But it's looking more and more like hoping the Spurs would make a trade deadline trade. Not gonna get my hopes up for something where all the signs seem to point one way.

I don't think there's any real chance we get JC...

KingKev
03-27-2021, 09:57 AM
PG
Dejounte Murray
Patty Mills
Tre Jones
*Quinndary Weatherspoon

SG / Wing
Derrick White
Devin Vassell
*Cam Reynolds
Lonnie Walker

Big Wing
DeMar DeRozan
Keldon Johnson
Keita Bates Diop

Stretch Big
Rudy Gay
Luka Samanic
*Trey Lyles

Anchor Big
Jakob Poeltl
Drew Eubanks
*Marquese Chriss

If Mills leaves, there's room for us to sign a PG to take his minutes. Maybe Kyle Lowry if it isn't too expensive and DeMar is here to stay? If not Kyle, then one of Dennis Schroder, Kris Dunn, or Frank Ntilikina.

If DeMar leaves, then Keldon is promoted to a starter and backup Big Wing is a need. Maybe that's where Cam Reynolds earns his real contract with the Spurs and they play it cheap with KBD backing Keldon up. Or they could sign Tony Snell, Evan Fournier, Otto Porter Jr., Doug McDermott, Nicholas Batum for this spot. I think the latter is more likely since we need to use up the cap space.

If DeMar is gone, I can see Luka being promoted as the starter. Lyles is definitely gone. If Rudy is gone too, that would make this position extremely weak. I think this is where you ideally invest your first round pick for high upside prospects. Then, since the free agent market is poor, maybe find an international player to add depth here.

Lastly, if Marquese Chriss isn't the answer to be our backup C then start digging up the bargain bin for a C. It shouldn't be that hard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PG
Dejounte Murray
Kris Dunn
Tre Jones

SG / Wing
Derrick White
Devin Vassell
Lonnie Walker

Big Wing
Keldon Johnson
Evan Fournier

Stretch Big
Luka Samanic
Rudy Gay
2021 First Round Pick

Anchor Big
Jakob Poeltl
Drew Eubanks

This is all so depressing. It’s all very realistic but very depressing.

Dverde
03-27-2021, 10:00 AM

Talk is just talk. Spurs might still get him by throwing a ton of money at him. I’m still not sold he is a franchise changing cornerstone player, but I know others here are high on him.

mo7888
03-27-2021, 10:16 AM
PG
Dejounte Murray
Patty Mills
Tre Jones
*Quinndary Weatherspoon

SG / Wing
Derrick White
Devin Vassell
*Cam Reynolds
Lonnie Walker

Big Wing
DeMar DeRozan
Keldon Johnson
Keita Bates Diop

Stretch Big
Rudy Gay
Luka Samanic
*Trey Lyles

Anchor Big
Jakob Poeltl
Drew Eubanks
*Marquese Chriss

PG
Dejounte Murray
Kris Dunn
Tre Jones

SG / Wing
Derrick White
Devin Vassell
Lonnie Walker

Big Wing
Keldon Johnson
Evan Fournier

Stretch Big
Luka Samanic
Rudy Gay
2021 First Round Pick

Anchor Big
Jakob Poeltl
Drew Eubanks

Honestly, if you can get DDR and Lowry to sign 2 year deals it does make some sense. In that scenario I do think we need to trade (yeah I know I know) Murray or White (whichever brings back the best future 1st) and possibly resign Mills while letting Rudy walk. Go ahead and start Luka and sign Otto or Batum to back him up. Upgrade the backup C with Theis and we've improved the team short term.

If DDR walks then I'd let Rudy go too. Go young and sign Ntilikina (I'd still trade Murray or White for whatever brings the best return). Upgrade backup C with someone who can shoot from 3 (Olynyk, Theis, maybe Bamba).. and add 3 vets on 2 year deals who can shoot to spread the court and relieve Luka and Keldon when they have growing pains. Mills, Batum, Fournier, and Otto would all be acceptable.

RC_Drunkford
03-27-2021, 10:27 AM
I think a DeRozan for Collins sign and trade might still be a possibility. Their have been rumors for a while about a Hawks Derozan deal.

Never heard of that rule, tbh . . . . .

my bad I guess I missread something :lol

slick'81
03-27-2021, 10:36 AM
I think a DeRozan for Collins sign and trade might still be a possibility. Their have been rumors for a while about a Hawks Derozan deal.

my bad I guess I missread something :lol

Theres is probably 0% chance hawks held onto jc while hes playing his best ball just to flip him for derozan in a s&t :lol

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 12:19 PM
Honestly, if you can get DDR and Lowry to sign 2 year deals it does make some sense. In that scenario I do think we need to trade (yeah I know I know) Murray or White (whichever brings back the best future 1st) and possibly resign Mills while letting Rudy walk. Go ahead and start Luka and sign Otto or Batum to back him up. Upgrade the backup C with Theis and we've improved the team short term.

If DDR walks then I'd let Rudy go too. Go young and sign Ntilikina (I'd still trade Murray or White for whatever brings the best return). Upgrade backup C with someone who can shoot from 3 (Olynyk, Theis, maybe Bamba).. and add 3 vets on 2 year deals who can shoot to spread the court and relieve Luka and Keldon when they have growing pains. Mills, Batum, Fournier, and Otto would all be acceptable.

With the Keldon quote today about DeMar, seems like the young guys are really leaning on DeMar to be their leader. It really feels like DeMar will be our David Robinson of this era and he's here to retire.

If DeMar is back, my preference would be that Gay and Mills both leave. It means we're sticking with Keldon as our starter four probably, so I'd want Luka to get all of those back-up 4 minutes.

Sign a good PG, a shooting wing, an international 4/5 to fill those backup 5 minutes and to relieve either Keldon/ Samanic when they're having youth moments, and finally, draft a high upside 4 in case Samanic isn't cutting it. I would call that a good offseason.

Murray/ Lowry/ Tre
White/ Lonnie/ Fournier
DeMar/ Vassell/ KBD
Keldon/ Luka/ FRP
Poeltl/ International Big/ Eubanks

mo7888
03-27-2021, 12:28 PM
With the Keldon quote today about DeMar, seems like the young guys are really leaning on DeMar to be their leader. It really feels like DeMar will be our David Robinson of this era and he's here to retire.

If DeMar is back, my preference would be that Gay and Mills both leave. It means we're sticking with Keldon as our starter four probably, so I'd want Luka to get all of those back-up 4 minutes.

Sign a good PG, a shooting wing, an international 4/5 to fill those backup 5 minutes and to relieve either Keldon/ Samanic when they're having youth moments, and finally, draft a high upside 4 in case Samanic isn't cutting it. I would call that a good offseason.

I saw the Keldon quote... I took that as him being the leader through this difficult time. I still think the odds are that someone Max's him out this summer and we reboot on some firm or fashion. I will admit I'm less confident in predicting what this FO will do though.

GAustex
03-27-2021, 12:33 PM
Spurms keeping DDR will be a test for many of their fans.

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 12:36 PM
Spurms keeping DDR will be a test for many of their fans.
https://media.giphy.com/media/guufsF0Az3Lpu/giphy.gif

Joseph Kony
03-27-2021, 12:52 PM
Lowry isnt coming here :lol and he certainly isnt going to come here to be a backup

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 12:54 PM
Lowry isnt coming here :lol and he certainly isnt going to come here to be a backup

True. Maybe Kris Dunn or Dennis Schroder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMznAMjpV0E

Kris abusing DeMar in a lot of these clips. Pretty impressive for a point guard. IMO, Atlanta won't have money to keep him after paying Collins.

gambit1990
03-27-2021, 01:40 PM
or Dennis Schroder...
:lol

gambit1990
03-27-2021, 01:42 PM
spurs gonna buyout lyles now that jeff teague is available? :lol

gambit1990
03-27-2021, 02:13 PM
or Dennis Schroder...
imagine starting for the los angeles lakers and then deciding to go to san antonio to be a backup :lmao

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 02:14 PM
imagine starting for the los angeles lakers and then deciding to go to san antonio to be a backup :lmao

Good point. Might be better to invest more into that wing. Not many point guards that are inexpensive. Dennis would have been paid too much, too.

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 02:59 PM
https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1375899662306136064?s=19

I thought it was $2 million? Is this outdated info?

timvp
03-27-2021, 03:09 PM

BBallInsiders = HoopsWorld = The most untrustworthy of all the sites. They are probably just using Shams' preliminary number. But Woj + Bobby Marks usually have the most legit numbers and they have it at $2.7 million ... so that's the most believable number right now.

mo7888
03-27-2021, 03:19 PM

I asked Paul about this Thursday afternoon and he told me it would be a few days until we officially numbers on this....

EasyMoney
03-27-2021, 03:19 PM
The 50m going between Lonnie, lauri markannen and patty mills

baseline bum
03-27-2021, 03:22 PM
BBallInsiders = HoopsWorld = The most untrustworthy of all the sites. They are probably just using Shams' preliminary number. But Woj + Bobby Marks usually have the most legit numbers and they have it at $2.7 million ... so that's the most believable number right now.

Still makes me die laughing that Hoopsworld reported the Spurs were signing Karl Malone when the team announced a press conference that ended up being for the retirement of Sean Elliott's #32.

mo7888
03-27-2021, 04:03 PM

How much credibility does Paul Garcia have? He says that number is pretty much official now.

exstatic
03-27-2021, 04:22 PM
After the trade they made at the deadline, need to consider the fact the Spurs may not sign anyone of note and just get to the salary cap floor.

The class frankly sucks. There IS no one of note. I think we’ll fill the room with trades that will bring in two year contracts, taking us to the next good FA class.

exstatic
03-27-2021, 04:26 PM

There has been media chatter that no one wants to help us rebuild, and any offers for our players were lesser players on longer deals. In that case, you do nothing, rather than move backwards.

Robz4000
03-27-2021, 04:29 PM
The class frankly sucks. There IS no one of note. I think we’ll fill the room with trades that will bring in two year contracts, taking us to the next good FA class.

What? This is a great draft. Same with next year. Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Jalen Suggs all have superstar ceilings, especially Cunningham. This could be the best draft since 2012 tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
03-27-2021, 04:31 PM

50mills going to get a loyalty contract? wtf is front office doing...time to get rid of the freeloaders on the team and start going young

exstatic
03-27-2021, 04:33 PM

DDR isn’t going to sign a two year deal. The buzz was that the extension didn’t fall apart because of salary, it fell apart because of length, or lack thereof. DDR is 31, and this is his last payday.

exstatic
03-27-2021, 04:38 PM

Lonnie’s money for next year is locked in, and won’t change. Any extension he signs won’t kick in until 2022, just like Whites doesn’t kick in until this fall, even though he signed it before this season.

mo7888
03-27-2021, 04:39 PM
DDR isn’t going to sign a two year deal. The buzz was that the extension didn’t fall apart because of salary, it fell apart because of length, or lack thereof. DDR is 31, and this is his last payday.

I don't expect him to sign a 2 year deal either..

exstatic
03-27-2021, 04:42 PM
What? This is a great draft. Same with next year. Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Jalen Suggs all have superstar ceilings, especially Cunningham. This could be the best draft since 2012 tbh.

I was unclear, but I thought the context would clear it up. This free agent class is crap.

Robz4000
03-27-2021, 04:50 PM
I was unclear, but I thought the context would clear it up. This free agent class is crap.

Derp, I was focused on March Madness and they were talking about the draft :lol

Ice009
03-27-2021, 06:37 PM
I don't expect him to sign a 2 year deal either..

Do you think he'd take a 4 year deal with a team option on either year 3 or 4? Team option on year 3 would be my preference, as I still think he could get another big (not max) 4 year deal from another team at age 33 if the Spurs want to go in another direction by then.

mo7888
03-27-2021, 06:39 PM
Do you think he'd take a 4 year deal with a team option on either year 3 or 4? Team option on year 3 would be my preference, as I still think he could get another big (not max) 4 year deal from another team at age 33 if the Spurs want to go in another direction by then.

I don't expect him to take less than the 4 year deal Hayward got... you might could get a 3 year deal if you upped the salary from around 30M to 35M/yr... but I'd rather move on..

ElNono
03-27-2021, 08:05 PM
Getting rid of that loser is priceless, tbh

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 10:06 PM
https://twitter.com/CarolinaTeague_/status/1376004069173649408?s=19

Teamduncan21
03-27-2021, 10:12 PM

50m for 50 mills!

Teamduncan21
03-27-2021, 10:15 PM
Hope nothing more than 2. Unless its at cheap. They worked so hard to get space. Hope it doesn't get wasted

timvp
03-29-2021, 11:47 AM
To explain the latest edit, I'll repost this comment from a different thread:

While LaMarcus Aldridge gave back a staggering $7.25 million to the Spurs (which will be “just” $5.8 million in his wallet after factoring in the league’s escrow cut)

Hollinger was in an NBA front office not too long ago so his info should be good. Aldridge's buyout math went off track because Woj decided to use a post-escrow number for an unknown reason (no one uses post-escrow numbers, tbh). He also worded it weird.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1375208639137468418

That makes it sound like the Spurs paid Aldridge $5.8 million to settle the amount owed to him. That's how Bobby Marks interpreted it...

Also, Bobby Marks didn't use post-escrow numbers.

So, back to square one, if the Spurs still owed Aldridge $8.5 million, it's now sounding like Aldridge only asked for $1.25 million more in the buyout, which left the Spurs will $7.25 million. If that's the case, the Spurs could have had ~$6.4 million in room below the luxury tax threshold after the Aldridge buyout and before the Dieng signing.

If you want to translate those numbers to post-escrow, Aldridge was owed $6.8 million and asked for exactly $1 million in the buyout, which left the $5.8 million that Woj referenced. That $1 million is such a round number that now I'm thinking this is what really happened :wow

Pop: "Sorry to see you go, LA. How much do you want in your buyout?"
Aldridge: "Since you guaranteed my contract when you didn't have to, give me a million and we'll call it even."

timvp
03-29-2021, 11:50 AM
^ If the latest assumptions are correct, Woj should have tweeted: "The cash buyout for LaMarcus Aldridge with the Spurs was $1M, sources tell ESPN."

Not only did he word it backwards, he inexplicably changed his figure to post-escrow.