PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts offer to compensate sexual abuse victims in historic $850 million bankruptcy settlement

ElNono
07-01-2021, 10:19 PM
Boy Scouts offer to compensate sexual abuse victims in historic $850 million bankruptcy settlement

The Boys Scouts of America more than doubled its initial offer of compensation to sexually abused Scouts late Thursday to $850 million, setting the stage for an historic settlement as part of the youth organization's bankruptcy proceedings.

The offer comes more than a year after the nonprofit group filed for bankruptcy as it faced 275 abuse lawsuits and 1,400 potential claims. By the November 2020 deadline for victims to come forward, the number of claims had risen to nearly 90,000, making it one of the largest sex abuse cases against a single national organization.

"This initial settlement of $850 million is the largest settlement of sexual abuse claims in United States history," Ken Rothweiler, a lawyer representing a group of survivors, said in a statement. "I am pleased that both the BSA and their local councils have stepped up to be the first to compensate the survivors."

Another attorney representing survivors, Paul Mones, atold USA TODAY that with insurance contributions he expects the amount of the settlement to grow to over $1 billion. Jordan Merson, also a plaintiffs attorney, held out hope for more.

"It is important that people see this dollar amount, and know this is not the end; this is just the beginning," Merson said. "There are billions of dollars in insurance money, and the fight to get that money is continuing."

Controversy had centered on the lower original offer, particularly from the hundreds of local Scout councils. In the offer filed in federal bankruptcy court on Thursday, the councils are shouldering the largest share: $600 million.

"There was never going to be an agreement that any survivor would be happy about," Mones said. "What we attempted to do in this negotiation was, under the circumstances, and with all of the various competing interests, the best deal possible."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2021/07/01/boy-scouts-offer-sexual-abuse-victims-historic-850-million-settlement/7835098002/

ElNono
07-01-2021, 10:21 PM
How do Boys Scouts of America amass a $850 million fortune? They were fucking pimping the kids or something?

Thread
07-02-2021, 02:20 AM
How do Boys Scouts of America amass a $850 million fortune? They were fucking pimping the kids or something?

The vast lion's share of these kids have never been molested, mother & father just briefed 'em and set 'em in the queue. They're "sewers;" always have a lawsuit in the pipeline and a check-in-hand at the bank from the the just settled lawsuit.

ElNono
07-02-2021, 02:34 AM
The vast lion's share of these kids have never been molested, mother & father just briefed 'em and set 'em in the queue. They're "sewers;" always have a lawsuit in the pipeline and a check-in-hand at the bank from the the just settled lawsuit.

Sure, the percentage might be small, but it was still hundreds of lawsuits.

But these niglets are supposed to be in bankruptcy, but you can drop almost 1 billion dollars to settle? This is some shady shit... you should never be allowed to file for bankruptcy if your assets far outpace your liabilities.

And for fuck's sake, this is supposed to be a non-profit but have a billion dollars just lying around?

leemajors
07-02-2021, 07:23 AM

Popcorn and chocolate?

Blake
07-02-2021, 08:04 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if the girl scouts have a trillion lying around. Last I checked it was like $24.95 for one box of thin mint

Leetonidas
07-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Congrats to Spurtacular on his settlement money

Spurtacular
07-02-2021, 09:59 AM

I bet this almost sounded funny in your head.

Thread
07-02-2021, 10:02 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if the girl scouts have a trillion lying around. Last I checked it was like $24.95 for one box of thin mint

And they're ain't no gd cookie in the gd things. It's all "covering."

Those Samoas were scrumptious, but now it's a bitter disappointment. And they sell old ones from years past...

"These are old, kid."
"No, they're not."
"Yes, they are."
"Mama!!! This old guy with no teeth touched my woo-woo!"
"They're fresh, I'll take 3 boxes, cash!"

Leetonidas
07-02-2021, 10:16 AM
I bet this almost sounded funny in your head.

Funnier than any of the super lame cringey garbage you post. hurr dur blakeline dumb :lmao :lmao loser

leemajors
07-02-2021, 10:29 AM
You were anally raped for years, here is 5k?

pgardn
07-02-2021, 10:49 AM
Schools, churches, boy scouts, girl scouts, all these organizations that attract young vulnerable people are magnets for pervs. Due diligence are background checks, finger prints, education on identifying, understanding and REPORTiNG suspect behavior was basically waived im thinking.

The BS as a whole is a very good organization in my experience talking to friends who went through the training. They turn out some pretty handy people.

As to how they accumulated so much $ as a non profit, well they dont get taxed much, but god lord...

Blake
07-02-2021, 10:50 AM

:lol

pgardn
07-02-2021, 10:51 AM

That would have come from the girl scouts and explain his fear of women.
A fat female scout leader had her way with derp.

Capt Bringdown
07-02-2021, 12:06 PM

Real Estate? McGimsey Park is some prime real estate, for example.

DMC
07-02-2021, 12:11 PM
How do Boys Scouts of America amass a $850 million fortune? They were fucking/pimping the kids or something?

FIFY

ElNono
07-02-2021, 01:08 PM
Real Estate? McGimsey Park is some prime real estate, for example.

It's possible. You'll have to sell a lot of McGimsey Parks to get to $850 million though, but they're a big org.

leemajors
07-02-2021, 01:31 PM
It's possible. You'll have to sell a lot of McGimsey Parks to get to $850 million though, but they're a big org.

You can also get a lot of scrill charging for camps if you own the land, tbh, while paying nothing in property taxes

Spurtacular
07-02-2021, 01:34 PM
Funnier than any of the super lame cringey garbage you post. hurr dur blakeline dumb :lmao :lmao loser

Using someone else's language on an alt while letting me know of the great gag that hurts your feelings (so badly) :tu

ElNono
07-02-2021, 01:41 PM
You can also get a lot of scrill charging for sex camps if you own the land, tbh, while paying nothing in property taxes

fify

koriwhat
07-02-2021, 01:42 PM
I feel sorry for my brother... He almost got to Eagle Scout but never got any compensation. :lol

I went to one meeting with my brother when I was a kid and was bored out of my mind so I spent most of the night outside in the parking lot bullshitting around by myself. I never got the appeal of the Boy Scouts unless your father was there to mentor you along as well in the scouts.

koriwhat
07-02-2021, 01:42 PM
fify

:lmao :tu

Blake
07-02-2021, 02:51 PM
I feel sorry for my brother... He almost got to Eagle Scout but never got any compensation. :lol

I went to one meeting with my brother when I was a kid and was bored out of my mind so I spent most of the night outside in the parking lot bullshitting around by myself. I never got the appeal of the Boy Scouts unless your father was there to mentor you along as well in the scouts.

Your brother was sexually abused?

leemajors
07-02-2021, 02:59 PM
Your brother was sexually abused?

Even if not, Eagle Scout will get you a full ride to college in a lot of cases and it's a lot of time invested to say the least.

Trill Clinton
07-02-2021, 03:07 PM
I went to one meeting with my brother when I was a kid and was bored out of my mind so I spent most of the night outside in the parking lot bullshitting around by myself.

SAWM

Blake
07-02-2021, 03:15 PM
Even if not, Eagle Scout will get you a full ride to college in a lot of cases and it's a lot of time invested to say the least.

? When did that start?

leemajors
07-02-2021, 03:21 PM
? When did that start?

Looking into it, it doesn't seem to be the case these days, but anecdotally I knew several people growing up who did. They also had very good grades, which also didn't hurt.

SpursforSix
07-02-2021, 03:28 PM
Looking into it, it doesn't seem to be the case these days, but anecdotally I knew several people growing up who did. They also had very good grades, which also didn't hurt.

I only knew two. Both got scholarships. One had good grades and one had average grades. I don't know how it is today but it was a fairly big accomplishment to obtain Eagle Scout.

Blake
07-02-2021, 03:51 PM
I had a buddy get eagle scout but I don't recall him getting any schollies for it. Of course, he had other ones and never paid a dime for his undergrad so I dunno.

koriwhat
07-02-2021, 05:11 PM
SAWM

?

FBMTSHTBAOST

koriwhat
07-02-2021, 05:13 PM

Blake is a fucking retard with no sense of sarcasm in sight. He's oblivious to what's going on around him just like he was back when he was married.

Blake
07-02-2021, 05:49 PM
Blake is a fucking retard with no sense of sarcasm in sight. He's oblivious to what's going on around him just like he was back when he was married.

Tell us the story again where your boss's foot was on your neck and you were laughing

koriwhat
07-02-2021, 05:51 PM
boohoo bitchassBlake

Blake
07-02-2021, 06:14 PM
boohoo bitchassBlake

:lol give me a paragraph about me now. Go.

Trill Clinton
07-02-2021, 09:17 PM
?

FBMTSHTBAOST

Fake black.....what's the rest

Winehole23
07-03-2021, 12:16 AM

Winehole23
07-03-2021, 12:16 AM
school, church, etc..

leemajors
07-03-2021, 11:11 AM

If there's only one bro in there I would be shocked, he usually fits in several per sentence

DMC
07-03-2021, 11:16 AM

fake black man that says he's the bad ass of spurstalk

Blake
07-03-2021, 11:32 AM

Hmm there's no G so it's not God bless

Capt Bringdown
07-03-2021, 05:34 PM
You can also get a lot of scrill charging for camps if you own the land, tbh, while paying nothing in property taxes

Any evidence of Boys Scouts charging excessive fees for camps?

As a former Boy Scout, IME summer camps were for working/middle class kids and were looked down upon by rich kid camps.

koriwhat
07-03-2021, 05:45 PM
fake black man that says he's the bad ass of spurstalk

nope

leemajors
07-04-2021, 12:18 PM
Any evidence of Boys Scouts charging excessive fees for camps?

As a former Boy Scout, IME summer camps were for working/middle class kids and were looked down upon by rich kid camps.

I didn't mean they were charging excessive fees, sorry if that was implied.