Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boy Scouts offer to compensate sexual abuse victims in historic $850 million bankruptcy settlement

The Boys Scouts of America more than doubled its initial offer of compensation to sexually abused Scouts late Thursday to $850 million, setting the stage for an historic settlement as part of the youth organization's bankruptcy proceedings.

The offer comes more than a year after the nonprofit group filed for bankruptcy as it faced 275 abuse lawsuits and 1,400 potential claims. By the November 2020 deadline for victims to come forward, the number of claims had risen to nearly 90,000, making it one of the largest sex abuse cases against a single national organization.

"This initial settlement of $850 million is the largest settlement of sexual abuse claims in United States history," Ken Rothweiler, a lawyer representing a group of survivors, said in a statement. "I am pleased that both the BSA and their local councils have stepped up to be the first to compensate the survivors."

Another attorney representing survivors, Paul Mones, atold USA TODAY that with insurance contributions he expects the amount of the settlement to grow to over $1 billion. Jordan Merson, also a plaintiffs attorney, held out hope for more.

"It is important that people see this dollar amount, and know this is not the end; this is just the beginning," Merson said. "There are billions of dollars in insurance money, and the fight to get that money is continuing."

Controversy had centered on the lower original offer, particularly from the hundreds of local Scout councils. In the offer filed in federal bankruptcy court on Thursday, the councils are shouldering the largest share: $600 million.

"There was never going to be an agreement that any survivor would be happy about," Mones said. "What we attempted to do in this negotiation was, under the cir stances, and with all of the various competing interests, the best deal possible."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/7835098002/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do Boys Scouts of America amass a $850 million fortune? They were ing pimping the kids or something?

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    How do Boys Scouts of America amass a $850 million fortune? They were ing pimping the kids or something?
    The vast lion's share of these kids have never been molested, mother & father just briefed 'em and set 'em in the queue. They're "sewers;" always have a lawsuit in the pipeline and a check-in-hand at the bank from the the just settled lawsuit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The vast lion's share of these kids have never been molested, mother & father just briefed 'em and set 'em in the queue. They're "sewers;" always have a lawsuit in the pipeline and a check-in-hand at the bank from the the just settled lawsuit.
    Sure, the percentage might be small, but it was still hundreds of lawsuits.

But these niglets are supposed to be in bankruptcy, but you can drop almost 1 billion dollars to settle? This is some shady ... you should never be allowed to file for bankruptcy if your assets far outpace your liabilities.

And for 's sake, this is supposed to be a non-profit but have a billion dollars just lying around?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popcorn and chocolate?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't surprise me if the girl scouts have a trillion lying around. Last I checked it was like $24.95 for one box of thin mint

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to Spurtacular on his settlement money

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet this almost sounded funny in your head.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wouldn't surprise me if the girl scouts have a trillion lying around. Last I checked it was like $24.95 for one box of thin mint
    And they're ain't no gd cookie in the gd things. It's all "covering."

Those Samoas were scrumptious, but now it's a bitter disappointment. And they sell old ones from years past...

"These are old, kid."
    "No, they're not."
    "Yes, they are."
    "Mama!!! This old guy with no teeth touched my woo-woo!"
    "They're fresh, I'll take 3 boxes, cash!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet this almost sounded funny in your head.
    Funnier than any of the super lame cringey garbage you post. hurr dur blakeline dumb loser

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You were anally raped for years, here is 5k?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Schools, churches, boy scouts, girl scouts, all these organizations that attract young vulnerable people are magnets for pervs. Due diligence are background checks, finger prints, education on identifying, understanding and REPORTiNG suspect behavior was basically waived im thinking.

The BS as a whole is a very good organization in my experience talking to friends who went through the training. They turn out some pretty handy people.

As to how they ac ulated so much $ as a non profit, well they dont get taxed much, but god lord...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would have come from the girl scouts and explain his fear of women.
    A fat female scout leader had her way with derp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real Estate? McGimsey Park is some prime real estate, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do Boys Scouts of America amass a $850 million fortune? They were ing/pimping the kids or something?
    FIFY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real Estate? McGimsey Park is some prime real estate, for example.
    It's possible. You'll have to sell a lot of McGimsey Parks to get to $850 million though, but they're a big org.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's possible. You'll have to sell a lot of McGimsey Parks to get to $850 million though, but they're a big org.
    You can also get a lot of scrill charging for camps if you own the land, tbh, while paying nothing in property taxes

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funnier than any of the super lame cringey garbage you post. hurr dur blakeline dumb loser
    Using someone else's language on an alt while letting me know of the great gag that hurts your feelings (so badly)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can also get a lot of scrill charging for sex camps if you own the land, tbh, while paying nothing in property taxes
    fify

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel sorry for my brother... He almost got to Eagle Scout but never got any compensation.

I went to one meeting with my brother when I was a kid and was bored out of my mind so I spent most of the night outside in the parking lot bull ting around by myself. I never got the appeal of the Boy Scouts unless your father was there to mentor you along as well in the scouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel sorry for my brother... He almost got to Eagle Scout but never got any compensation.

I went to one meeting with my brother when I was a kid and was bored out of my mind so I spent most of the night outside in the parking lot bull ting around by myself. I never got the appeal of the Boy Scouts unless your father was there to mentor you along as well in the scouts.
    Your brother was sexually abused?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your brother was sexually abused?
    Even if not, Eagle Scout will get you a full ride to college in a lot of cases and it's a lot of time invested to say the least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I went to one meeting with my brother when I was a kid and was bored out of my mind so I spent most of the night outside in the parking lot bull ting around by myself.
    SAWM

Thread Information