GAustex
08-02-2021, 05:52 PM
Fuck shit shit fuck

slick'81
08-02-2021, 05:53 PM
In before mr.body sign off and dejounte spams us with youtube highlights:lol

BatManu20
08-02-2021, 05:54 PM
Overpay of course. McDermott shot 38% from 3 last season, his worst % in 4 years. And he’s a horrible defender. Good shooter and cutter though.

Spurs clearly going after shooting this off-season.

Robz4000
08-02-2021, 05:55 PM
Disgusting.

DesignatedT
That's a good signing for the Spurs. He's solid and a great shooter. Didn't think he'd command that much but Duncan Robinson just got $90M and the two guys are pretty similar tbqh.

timvp
Spurs on that CREAM diet.

Character rules everything around me .....................

timvp

mexicanjunior
08-02-2021, 05:56 PM
If the goal is to tank next season, they are well on their way. Straight trash...

kobyz
08-02-2021, 05:57 PM
we're set:
Dejounte Murray/Tre Jones
Derrick White/Devin Vassell/Josh Primo
Keldon Johnson/Lonnie Walker/Joe Wieskamp
Doug McDermott/Luka Samanic
Jakob Poeltl/Drew Eubanks

Dex
08-02-2021, 05:57 PM
Not the worst signing in the world...but if that is our BIG signing, then we might as well just setting up for the tank.

TheGreatYacht
08-02-2021, 05:58 PM
All but signals DeRozan coming back and us being stuck in basketball purgatory and never picking in the Top 10 nor making the playoffs. Crater face must be put into a nursing home if he's not willing to tank. Signing a 30yr old to a multi-year deal is not something a tanking team does

duncan2150
08-02-2021, 05:59 PM
https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1422329879543046153

rastaspur
08-02-2021, 06:01 PM
Jesus christ..... overpaying for mcdipshit

CGD
08-02-2021, 06:01 PM
So much for rebuilding

Dex
08-02-2021, 06:02 PM
So we are out of the Collins sweepstakes now, right?

Mr. Body
08-02-2021, 06:02 PM
More than fine with his, especially when Duncan Robinson gets 90m for five years and Berta s for his ridiculous contract. Inky three years for a very who can stretch the floor and won't kill any of the budget that will need to be used on the young players in the coming years. A value, shrewd pick up instead of giving Markkanen more than 20 a year.

Shooting is exactly what we need and here we go.

Mr. Body
08-02-2021, 06:03 PM
More than fine with his, especially when Duncan Robinson gets 90m for five years and Berta s for his ridiculous contract. Inky three years for a very who can stretch the floor and won't kill any of the budget that will need to be used on the young players in the coming years. A value, shrewd pick up instead of giving Markkanen more than 20 a year.

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 06:05 PM
I hate this FO and I hate this signing…they are so, so lost. Now, if they don’t get Collins this off season is crap.

Just run of the mill, no vision or direction, crap.

duncan2150
08-02-2021, 06:05 PM
Jesus christ..... overpaying for mcdipshit

when i see duncan robinson or bertans you're not overpaying for sure

you can dislike the sign but i don't think that's an overpay

vy65
08-02-2021, 06:06 PM
So that leaves about 34MM to give Demar that 4 year, 136MM loyalty contract he so rightfully deserves?

Dverde
08-02-2021, 06:06 PM
Could be worse. At least it’s not about guard. Good shooter who isn’t a complete stiff on defense.

Russ
08-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Why waste a draft pick on Franz Wagner when you can scoop this guy up with your coffee fund.

(And yes I know Franz Wagner is a "transformational" defender and this guy isn't.)

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Don't like it, don't hate it. Depends on their other moves.

He's very solid offensively, very good at finishing at the rim and 3 point shooting. Never shoots long 2s. Great efficiency.

TD 21
08-02-2021, 06:08 PM
Predictable (preferable to Kispert at 12 though). Had him as a likely candidate in the first free agency thread months ago.

He's more than just a good, versatile shooter, he's a good cutter and finisher too.

Except him to be the sixth man (too slow to guard starting 3's and too small to guard starting 4's) and for them to continue to pursue Markkanen and possibly Kuzma.

LaMarcus Bryant
Lmmmmmaaaaooooo

3.3 RPG roflroflrofl

LaMarcus Bryant
Lmmmmmaaaaooooo

3.3 RPG roflroflrofl

RC_Drunkford
https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1422329879543046153

look up rebounding and defense

Trill Clinton
08-02-2021, 06:10 PM
I like it. Rather have McBuckets than Gay tbh

slick'81
08-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Bbb but we didnt overpay,culture,sharp shooting etc etc

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 06:12 PM
I hate this FO and I hate this signing…they are so, so lost. Now, if they don’t get Collins this off season is crap.

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 06:14 PM
You don’t pay guys like him for teams like SA, I’m sorry. He’s not young, has no upside and we aren’t competing for anything. It’s just valuing character and wanting to be “competitive” vs truly embracing a rebuild. It’s silly middle of the road stuff even if he’s a good player.

It’s not that complicated PATFO. Spurs dont need players that aren’t difference makers and/or that dont fit the timeline of growing w/the youth. Value/Fit aside, they needed a plan. They are stuck in neutral - not truly competing or rebuilding

TimDunkem
Usual slurping suspects eating this new shit sandwich in record time. :lol

U sOn oF a BiTcH iM In (btw got any of that PATFO cock?)

TimDunkem
Usual slurping suspects eating this new shit sandwich in record time. :lol

"U sOn oF a BiTcH iM In (btw got any of that PATFO cock?)"

slick'81
08-02-2021, 06:16 PM

Waiting formthe derozan/mills signing to put the cherry on top

SpurPadre
08-02-2021, 06:16 PM
Determined to be the whitest team in the league lol.

Mr. Body
08-02-2021, 06:18 PM
Lmmmmmaaaaooooo

3.3 RPG roflroflrofl

Yet we should have paid Markkanen ten more million a year, get worse defense and only two more rebounds a game. :lol

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 06:18 PM
This shit better be a 2 year deal with 3rd year team option or mostly non guaranteed.

Robz4000
08-02-2021, 06:19 PM
Yet we should have paid Markkanen ten more million a year, get worse defense and only two more rebounds a game. :lol

Still might get your wish tbh.

Floyd Pacquiao
Doug Marco shitnelli mcshit smfh. The spurs haven’t made 1 good free agency signing since Aldridge. What a fucking joke

ducks
Atleast it is not mills

rastaspur
when i see duncan robinson or bertans you're not overpaying for sure

you can dislike the sign but i don't think that's an overpay

The fact that other players were overpaid more does not by default make 5his a good deal. I'd rather have Doug's replacement at 5 mill per year (torrey craig -at least he can guard somebody)

BWS-1994
Predictable (preferable to Kispert at 12 though). Had him as a likely candidate in the first free agency thread months ago.

He's more than just a good, versatile shooter, he's a good cutter and finisher too.

Except him to be the sixth man (too slow to guard starting 3's and too small to guard starting 4's) and for them to continue to pursue Markkanen and possibly Kuzma.

Honest question: is $14 million for Mcdermott as 6th man good?

SpurPadre
08-02-2021, 06:20 PM
This shit better be a 2 year deal with 3rd year team option or mostly non guaranteed.

You gotta figure this means no more Gay or Mills, though so from that sense, it's a win, right?

Mr. Body
08-02-2021, 06:20 PM
You don’t pay guys like him for teams like SA, I’m sorry. He’s not young, has no upside and we aren’t competing for anything. It’s just valuing character and wanting to be “competitive” vs truly embracing a rebuild. It’s silly middle of the road stuff even if he’s a good player.

It’s not that complicated PATFO. Spurs dont need players that aren’t difference makers and/or that dont fit the timeline of growing w/the youth. Value/Fit aside, they needed a plan. They are stuck in neutral - not truly competing or rebuilding

Why are people so stupid? This is precisely for the future. They get a shooter who can item up the floor for the guards, who is a professional in every way, who will not kill the cap when we no longer need him and need to pay the younger players.

This signing is literally because we value our younger players.

Mr. Body
08-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Still might get your wish tbh.

True, but I don't see his place on the team now.

duncan2150
08-02-2021, 06:21 PM
The fact that other players were overpaid more does not by default make 5his a good deal. I'd rather have Doug's replacement at 5 mill per year (torrey craig -at least he can guard somebody)

I'm just talking about the overpay, i think it's not a bad deal and for the craig mc dermott comparison, there's a biiig world between their offense tough i agree for the D.

cjw
08-02-2021, 06:22 PM
Doug Marco shitnelli mcshit smfh. The spurs haven’t made 1 good free agency signing since Aldridge. What a fucking joke

Who would you rather have had them sign who signed to a contract already? It’s slim pickings in FA, and they have moves left in them.

Could be working with Collins. But unlikely as it’ll cause them to renounce everyone else.

R. DeMurre
08-02-2021, 06:22 PM

Might get both...

3 hours ago (https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1544288/) – via Twitter (http://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1422294689332400150)
Hoop Central: “And are interested in pulling off a possible double sign-and-trade, where they would send Lauri Markkanen to San Antonio, and then SAS would then sign-and-trade DeMar DeRozan to Chicago.” – Brian Windhorst (http://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1422294689332400150)

SpurPadre
08-02-2021, 06:23 PM

If he's a team's 6th man, that team is FUCKED. He fills a need but he shouldn't be in this team's plans if they want a rebuild. From the looks of it, they're not trying a real rebuild at all and expect to push for the playoffs next year. I hope that means we get a bigger signing. We'll see.

r0drig0lac
08-02-2021, 06:24 PM
the same old "studs" have only one way to defend this shit: talking about Duncan Robinson and his contract, two things that have nothing to do with San Antonio, nobody gives a fuck about Duncan Robinson in SA.

slick'81
08-02-2021, 06:24 PM
Best and cheapest spurs could garner. Mcfckn dermott

timvp
08-02-2021, 06:25 PM
Initial thoughts:

-I mean, value-wise it's not terrible. A quasi-starter for MLE-ish money is fine.
-A poor defender who turns 30 in January? For a rebuilding team? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
-I don't really regard McDermott as a special three-point shooter. His volume is too low for that. He's accurate but he doesn't shoot many compared to other notable sharpshooters.
-McDermott had a lot of success driving the ball but that skill isn't as valuable in SA where multiple younger players are better drivers.
-So Spurs obviously see Keldon more as a power forward. McDermott would be the small forward next to KJ -- but I imagine he just defends whoever the weakest offensive player is -- whether that be the SG, SF or PF.
-Main thought: The Spurs still have a lot of cap room. Depending on how they use it, this McDermott signing could get better or worse. You follow this up with a Collins offer sheet? Yeah, McDermott makes sense. You follow it up with re-signing Mills? OMG WTF

TimDunkem
08-02-2021, 06:26 PM
"McDermott as 6th man..."

Stopped reading right there. Can't wait to miss the playoffs again this year tbh :lmao

Floyd Pacquiao
Who would you rather have had them sign who signed to a contract already? It’s slim pickings in FA, and they have moves left in them.

Could be working with Collins. But unlikely as it’ll cause them to renounce everyone else.id rather they sign nobody instead of signing dead weight just cause you have the money.

Floyd Pacquiao

Could be working with Collins. But unlikely as it’ll cause them to renounce everyone else.id rather they sign nobody instead of signing dead weight just cause you have the money.

TD 21
08-02-2021, 06:27 PM

He's not preventing them from being a bottom feeder, they were always going to sign a few veterans and presuming he avoids catastrophic injury, he should have good resale value during the life of the deal.

I wouldn't have done it, but it's not a catastrophe either.

Not in a vacuum, but that's not how these things work. If they offer the MLE and better teams with similar opportunity do the same, he's not signing here. And the difference between that and this isn't going to prevent them from doing anything else.

slick'81
08-02-2021, 06:27 PM
And jesus people he is not better then duncan robinson:lol

LaMarcus Bryant
08-02-2021, 06:28 PM
Lmao Pop sucker DPG finally seeing the light

Russ
08-02-2021, 06:28 PM
When McDermott came out of Creighton some thought he was a potential star.

He's pretty old now (29) but his game should age well, given how he plays, e.g., his strengths won't fade as quickly as more athletic guys.

It looks like Pop is trying to put together a great Olympic team in SA, perhaps in reaction to the actual Olympic team he has.

Sugus
08-02-2021, 06:29 PM
id rather they sign nobody instead of signing dead weight just cause you have the money.

What bullshit, you'd be screaming and kicking that the FO doesn't make any moves and you know it :lol

rastaspur
Initial thoughts:

-I mean, value-wise it's not terrible. A quasi-starter for MLE-ish money is fine.
-A poor defender who turns 30 in January? For a rebuilding team? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
-I don't really regard McDermott as a special three-point shooter. His volume is too low for that. He's accurate but he doesn't shoot many compared to other notable sharpshooters.
-McDermott had a lot of success driving the ball but that skill isn't as valuable in SA where multiple younger players are better drivers.
-So Spurs obviously see Keldon more as a power forward. McDermott would be the small forward next to KJ -- but I imagine he just defends whoever the weakest offensive player is -- whether that be the SG, SF or PF.
-Main thought: The Spurs still have a lot of cap room. Depending on how they use it, this McDermott signing could get better or worse. You follow this up with a Collins offer sheet? Yeah, McDermott makes sense. You follow it up with re-signing Mills? OMG WTF

Mills has to be let go if this is going to make any sense.

If they throw 29 mill a year between mills and Doug then our GM is a fucking retard.

cjw
id rather they sign nobody instead of signing dead weight just cause you have the money.

That’s fair and part of me thinks that and would prefer aggregating assets by taking on 1-2 year dead contracts.

But I do think McD can be moved down the road to a contending team for value. It’s not a bad contract at all. There are lots of those to go around.

Dex
08-02-2021, 06:30 PM

To me, this signing really signals rebuild.

He's making 14 a year, which is actually pretty reasonable by today's NBA standards.

He's a decent player who will fit the program and make fans happy. We need shooting, and we need forwards. He fits that bill.

Other than that, we ain't winning a championship next year...so not sure what people are looking for. The Spurs have to spend their money on SOMETHING, and this move shows they aren't swinging for the fences, but rather going down the road of re-tooling.

baseline bum
08-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Just fucking move to Seattle already

TimDunkem
08-02-2021, 06:34 PM
The same people telling us the rebuild was coming in a few years 5 years ago are now telling us that signing Doug McDingleberry to a 3 year deal is somehow a rebuilding move...:lmao

PATFO doesn't know how to build a team anywhere and are just moving without direction, and the Slurpers are just happy to be along for the ride. :lol

Sugus
08-02-2021, 06:34 PM
That’s fair and part of me thinks that and would prefer aggregating assets by taking on 1-2 year dead contracts.

But I do think McD can be moved down the road to a contending team for value. It’s not a bad contract at all. There are lots of those to go around.

The part about selling capspace for assets that nobody talks about is how it poisons the locker room. The Spurs, even if they end up tanking out next season, want to keep a winning culture, and bringing e.g. Love on the team with his massive salary for a couple picks would absolutely be a hit to everyone's morale.

And McD will be easily moved if need be - he's a SF/PF shooter in the modern NBA, making $14M. Chump change considering the modern cap and luxury thresholds. This is a classic case of Spurstalk jumping the gun to shit on the FO any chance they can. Go back to Jakob's signing thread if you want a prime example :lol I'll never get over that one. If the same people who were saying Jak was an overpay, are saying McD is one, I'm dandy tbh :lol

Russ
08-02-2021, 06:37 PM
He had his career high (31) just three months ago . . .

PEAQUi2iJ-s

RC_Drunkford
08-02-2021, 06:46 PM

PEAQUi2iJ-s

against OKC which is a G-League team

Russ
08-02-2021, 06:49 PM
I keep remembering how highly-regarded this guy was coming out of college.

He was the national college player of the year -- he won the Wooden Award (like Sean Elliot, David Robinson and Tim Duncan, if I remember correctly, which I usually don't).

widowmaker
08-02-2021, 06:49 PM
This is the biggest signing/move of the off season. Mills, Gay and derozen will walk away and the spurs get nothing. These draft picks and signings make it seem like they somebody on the team that they are building around for but then you look at the current signed roster there is nobody there that can carry that load. Murray, white Johnson and possibly walker should start demanding trades so they can use the best years in the league to actually compete for something even if its just to make it to some conference finals thats more than they will ever experience around here with this shit no direction roster.

Russ
08-02-2021, 06:54 PM

PEAQUi2iJ-s

against OKC which is a G-League team
We've got some guys on this team who couldn't score 31 going against air . . .

R. DeMurre
08-02-2021, 07:03 PM
Compare & contrast:

25 mins ago (https://hoopshype.com/rumor/furkan-korkmaz-staying-in-philadelphia/) – via Twitter wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn)
Adrian Wojnarowski: Furkan Korkmaz has agreed to a three-year, $15M deal to stay with the 76ers, (https://hoopshype.com/social/) his agents Mike Lindeman and Jeff Schwartz of @excelbasketball tell ESPN.

boutons_deux
08-02-2021, 07:11 PM

"shooting" is 40%+, not mediocre 38%

objective
08-02-2021, 07:16 PM
McDermott was ranked 77th out of 155 qualified players on 3 pt% and if he isn't scoring he isn't helping

If that's not worth 14 per than I don't know what is! :lol :lol :lol

:pop:

KingKev
08-02-2021, 07:22 PM
We really should have just overpaid our big 3 of DDR, Patty and Gay. LOL. I was probably the most pessimistic of ST on PATFO’s inability to get anything done and I’m blown away by our free agency signings and 2nd round lottery pick.

KingKev
08-02-2021, 07:36 PM
We really should have just overpaid our big 3 of DDR, Patty and Gay. LOL. I was probably the most pessimistic of ST on PATFO’s inability to get anything done and I’m blown away by our free agency signings and 2nd round lottery pick.

pad300
08-02-2021, 07:42 PM
McDermott was ranked 77th out of 155 qualified players on 3 pt% and if he isn't scoring he isn't helping

Not sure where you're doing the search (I'm guessing your qualified players is all FA's), but try TS%...

pad300
08-02-2021, 07:42 PM

Not sure where you're doing the search (I'm guessing your qualified players is all FA's), but try TS%...

objective
08-02-2021, 07:46 PM

bkref leaderboards, 3pt%, qualified

slick'81
08-02-2021, 07:47 PM
Spurs found the cheapest option at 3/4 . Nothing more,rebuild in three seasons and try fa again

Kurgan
08-02-2021, 07:51 PM
This front office hasn't made a good move since trading George Hill for Kawhi ten years ago.

ThaBigFundamental21
08-02-2021, 07:55 PM
We fuckin suck. I can't believe this shit. What in the hell is going on? All of that cap space and this is what the Spurs get?!?!?!

MultiTroll
08-02-2021, 07:57 PM
isn’t a complete stiff on defense.
Will really bolster that Patty, Gay, Derozan super tough D. :pop:

MI21
08-02-2021, 08:01 PM
McDermott would have been ok at 2/18 or something like that. This is fucking horrible.

pad300
08-02-2021, 08:11 PM
bkref leaderboards, 3pt%, qualified

Ok, ran the search for TS%, and he's 21st. Not bad, and 12 of the 20 guys ahead of him are C's...

ThaBigFundamental21
08-02-2021, 08:13 PM
Consider me as someone in denial up until now. I had this idea that we would treadmill until the cap space opened up...Boy was I wrong. It's easy to blame Pop (he deserves it), but what the hell is our "GM" doing?

8FOR!3
08-02-2021, 08:14 PM
I like this signing. He’s in his prime and he’s a really good shooter who can do other things on offense too. We really need a guy who can just light it up shooting 3’s sometimes and I don’t think you can rely on that second round pick year one for that.

RC_Drunkford
08-02-2021, 08:28 PM
We've got some guys on this team who couldn't score 31 going against air . . .

so the Milwaukee Bucks are air?

Mr. Body
08-02-2021, 08:30 PM
This front office hasn't made a good move since trading George Hill for Kawhi ten years ago.

Signing LMA? This board is full of idiots.

Dennis the Menace
08-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Signing LMA? This board is full of idiots.

Blind squirrel finds nut.

Marcus Bryant
08-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Let’s tank this!!!1

slick'81
08-02-2021, 08:41 PM
Let’s tank this!!!1

Thats the plan:tu

SpurPadre
08-02-2021, 08:53 PM
espn’s Tim Bontempts was on espn radio just a bit ago saying this was the biggest head-scratching signing so far.

Marcus Bryant
08-02-2021, 08:58 PM
espn’s Tim Bontempts was on espn radio just a bit ago saying this was the biggest head-scratching signing so far.

https://nationalinterest.org/sites/default/files/main_images/sheridan_1.jpg

SpurPadre
08-02-2021, 09:02 PM

True but it’s an expensive tank job lol. Also, very, VERY fucking WHITE. #SpursSoWhite

SpurPadre
08-02-2021, 09:03 PM

True but it’s an expensive tank job lol. Also, very, VERY fucking WHITE. #SpursSoWhite

spurraider21
08-02-2021, 09:14 PM
i dont hate the mcdermott acquisition in a vacuum... but the money is a lot for what he is, and combined with the zach collins move, looks like a pretty disgusting offseason if these are the big moves. if they do manage to still go after and land john collins, then i'd be content. but i'm not holding my breath with this FO

slick'81
08-02-2021, 09:16 PM
i dont hate the mcdermott acquisition in a vacuum... but the money is a lot for what he is, and combined with the zach collins move, looks like a pretty disgusting offseason if these are the big moves. if they do manage to still go after and land john collins, then i'd be content. but i'm not holding my breath with this FO

Guess its praying atl doesnt match,and assuming spurs send the offer out

SAGirl
08-02-2021, 09:16 PM
Why are people so stupid? This is precisely for the future. They get a shooter who can item up the floor for the guards, who is a professional in every way, who will not kill the cap when we no longer need him and need to pay the younger players.

Yes he’s a good cutter and shooter, will move off the ball, creating space for them and finish plays. It helps their development. I like his fit a lot.

This team won’t be good anyways unless the youth takes a leap, that’s just the truth. He’s a role player that fills a need.

RC_Drunkford
08-02-2021, 09:21 PM

reminds me of the draft :lol

SpurPadre
08-02-2021, 09:22 PM
Yes he’s a good cutter and shooter, will move off the ball, creating space for them and finish plays. It helps their development. I like his fit a lot.

This team won’t be good anyways unless the youth takes a leap, that’s just the truth. He’s a role player that fills a need.

$14 mil for a role player on a team that's not expected to make the playoffs?

Marcus Bryant
08-02-2021, 09:23 PM
This was a move that makes it look like to casual fan they are doing something while the full on tank is on.

Marcus Bryant
08-02-2021, 09:31 PM
Also, inflation is real man.

Marcus Bryant
08-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Spurs so smart they see something in McDermott no one else does.

lol

The Truth #6
This was a move that makes it look like to casual fan they are doing something while the full on tank is on.

Pretty much. Sucking...but with class!

slick'81

Soo fckn true

The Truth #6
08-02-2021, 09:33 PM
Next season’s motto: Losing the Wright Way!

Russ
08-02-2021, 09:33 PM

That's pretty much correct.

The Spurs are signing relatively cheap placehiolders who can play the way Pop wants them to (the "beautiful game"), do some winning in the meantime, and create a culture that the young guys can absorb. They won't learn bad (or dumb) habits they way they might playing with, say, DeRozan.

They're gonna be more like an international team, going against the flow -- that's the only way a small market team can compete.

I wouldn't even be that surprised to see them playing a lot more zone D.

It's an attempt by the Spurs to have their cake and eat it too, do a little winning but also a lot of building.

And a fairly good one given their options.

Marcus Bryant
08-02-2021, 09:37 PM
Given this the Primo pick kinda makes sense. IF he develops into playmaker/leader that will take a couple years in Austin and you might as well go real young with that pick and see what happens.

Need to start buying future picks using whatever cap space though.

The Truth #6
08-02-2021, 09:37 PM
That's pretty much correct.

The Spurs are signing relatively cheap placehiolders who can play they way Pop wants them to (the "beautiful game"), do some winning in the meantime, and create a culture that the young guys can absorb. They won't learn bad (or dumb) habits they way they might playing with, say, DeRozan.

They're gonna be more like an international team, going against the flow -- that's the only way a small market team can compete.

I wouldn't even be that surprised to see them playing a lot more zone D.

It's an attempt by the Spurs to have their cake and eat it too, do a little winning but also a lot of building.

And a fairly good one given their options.

Agreed. I mean, it’s awful but at least we should finally see the young players who are somehow also practically veterans now.

Another unintended aspect: if Becky is the coach, at least there won’t be a lot of dickweeds throwing her under the bus when we are terrible.

SAGirl
08-02-2021, 09:58 PM
$14 mil for a role player on a team that's not expected to make the playoffs?
What were you expecting really?

Its like this was unexpected. To tell you the truth I didn’t even think McBucketts would want to be here tbqh. Spurs had to pay up. Dieng didn’t want to stay here. So all in all at least he doesn’t have injured feet and 3 surgeries in 2 years.

Overall though the FO should have jumpstarted the rebuild way back, sold the veterans got picks and who knows if the team would by now have at least a standouts player to build around. What we are seeing right now was predictable.

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 09:59 PM
I don’t want to win 30-35 games again. I want a shot at a franchise player with a top pick; especially if we couldn’t land an all star upside type Fa

Robz4000
08-02-2021, 10:00 PM
I don’t want to win 30-35 games again. I want a shot at a franchise player with a top pick; especially if we couldn’t land an all star upside type Fa

That's spoiled fan talk; in PATFO we trust!

slick'81
08-02-2021, 10:02 PM
What were you expecting really?

Its like this was unexpected. To tell you the truth I didn’t even think McBucketts would want to be here tbqh. Spurs had to pay up. Dieng didn’t want to stay here. So all in all at least he doesn’t have injured feet and 3 surgeries in 2 years.

Overall though the FO should have jumpstarted the rebuild way back, sold the veterans got picks and who knows if the team would by now have at least a standouts player to build around. What we are seeing right now was predictable.

didnt think mcdermoot would come here? Sweetheart he got 14 mil per,that was his fckn payday. Dude would went to the ymca for that scratch

Marcus Bryant
08-02-2021, 10:04 PM
Tanking with character and integrity, the right way.

SAGirl
08-02-2021, 10:05 PM
I wanted that since Kawhi was traded tbh. Never wanted Derozan.

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 10:09 PM
I’m fine winning 35 games if the team has youth and upside like John Collins + our youth. I’m not fine missing out on top picks for Doug McDermott

The Truth #6
08-02-2021, 10:10 PM

The Wright Way.

Ditty
08-02-2021, 10:15 PM
Is there anyway the Spurs can front load a contract like this year $20, next year $14 million and the third year $8 especially if they don’t plan on offering anyone the max? Same for Collins that when we might be competitive in hopefully a few years they might have Collins and McDermott on low expiring salary contracts with cap space because they front loaded the contacts.

spurs1990
08-02-2021, 10:16 PM
David Robinson and Tim Duncan are not coming through any doors. Most of us, including me, have never known what the Spurs being a middling team looks like and we're learning on the fly. Let's just make sure DeRozan era is behind us and hope the team builds an all-star from within from this current stock and future drafts.

McDermott at $15m has value even if as a deadline trade to a contender for a 1st round pick in the next two seasons. We'll have someone who's just as or more useful from 3pt than Gay. I've always liked the guy out of Creighton so I'm biased on the signing. I think Wright made a good move for a change.

SAGirl
08-02-2021, 10:17 PM
didnt think mcdermoot would come here? Sweetheart he got 14 mil per,that was his fckn payday. Dude would went to the ymca for that scratch
That’s the only reason he’s a Spur. The $14 million so if fans -as spupadre- are complaining about the amount don’t expect anyone to want to come to the team.. like what do fans expect tbh? No one is signing a one year cheap deal to play in SA!

timvp
08-02-2021, 10:19 PM

:lol

RC_Drunkford
08-02-2021, 10:23 PM
I’m fine winning 35 games if the team has youth and upside like John Collins + our youth. I’m not fine missing out on top picks for Doug McDermott

nobody wanted DeRozan tbh, except Pop and Brian Wright of course

tbdog
08-02-2021, 10:25 PM
I am still confused why spurstalk does not like this signing. He is a fine player. Position of need. Skill of need. Straight up replaces Mills and a certain extent Gay. He plays 24mins p/g. Shoots 38% from three at 4 attempts per game. He is 6ft7. Spurs have replied on 3 pointers from our guards for years, (mills, forbes, Walker, Beli.) We now have a legit swing shooter.

slick'81
08-02-2021, 10:27 PM
I am still confused why spurstalk does not like this signing. He is a fine player. Position of need. Skill of need. Straight up replaces Mills and a certain extent Gay. He plays 24mins p/g. Shoots 38% from three at 4 attempts per game. He is 6ft7. Spurs have replied on 3 pointers from our guards for years, (mills, forbes, Walker, Beli.) We now have a legit swing shooter.

we get it,you love him. Good for you,tbh

offset formation
08-02-2021, 10:28 PM

he's a fine player. but you don't go 3 yrs. or not 42 Mill.

maybe do 2 yrs. maybe 32M

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 10:30 PM

Simple - answer these questions:

1) Losing DDR/Mills/Rudy, does signing Doug help the Spurs truly elevate to the playoffs?

2) Is he young and fit well next to the youth to grow alongside them in order to build around them and have a ceiling as a team moving forward?

3) Does he help in aiding a rebuild if playoffs aren’t a real option?

If the answer to those aren’t Yes, Yes, Yes, then there is no reason to waste money on him just for the sake of wanting to appear to to bottom out.

tbdog
08-02-2021, 10:31 PM
he's a fine player. but you don't go 3 yrs. or not 42 Mill.

maybe do 2 yrs. maybe 32M

Looking at the numbers out there, it's about right.

Sugus
08-02-2021, 10:33 PM

Wait, you've been crying and moaning all day long for a scenario that still has a pretty good chance of happening?! The Spurs can't force JColl to accept the offer sheet, you know that, right? It's literally up to the Hawks what they do about Collins. The only difference between the two scenarios you lay out here is something outside of the team's control (assuming, as we might, that the Spurs are offering JColl the max with the cap space they specifically left untouched so far).... Well, and your own doomer perception of it.

Talk about drowning in a glass of water...

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-02-2021, 10:34 PM
U sOn oF a BiTcH iM In (btw got any of that PATFO cock?)

:lmao

Sugus
08-02-2021, 10:36 PM

It's easy, actually: Spurstalk doesn't understand value contracts, and has a severe case of SpursTalk Syndrome - anything the Spurs do is loathable, anything other teams do is good, until the Spurs do it, then it's loathable too.

Go back and check the Poeltl signing thread and see how the sky was also falling. Hell, the beloved timvp got caught up on that one too. It was obvious at the time that it was a great value signing and fair market value, but this is ST...

timvp
08-02-2021, 10:36 PM

I don't hate it but I don't like it, tbh.

I agree that the Spurs needed a shooter to space the court but paying above MLE for McDermott is tough to justify. A shooting big was preferred, not a 3 who is sometimes too slow to defend 3s so he shifts to 4. McDermott is a bad defender already and will only decline over the age of 30. Cap space is super valuable to a rebuilding team -- but this just needlessly eats away at it.

McDermott is better than someone like Korkmaz but I'll take Korkmaz at $5 million a year. At least he's young, has some upside, isn't locked into being a bad defender and doesn't eat as much cap room. Plus Korkmaz shoots threes at a higher volume. McDermott isn't even really a high volume three-point shooter. Walker shot threes more often last year and Walker would go possessions at a time without getting a touch :lol

In any of the previous 25 years or whatever, signing McDermott would have been okay. This summer? Ehh, I can't cosign.

I won't lose sleep because the Spurs reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally needed a floor spacer and McDermott is that (and signing him isn't nearly as bad as re-signing DeRozan, Mills or Gay) but it doesn't give me any confidence in this front office.

timvp
08-02-2021, 10:39 PM
Go back and check the Poeltl signing thread and see how the sky was also falling. Hell, the beloved timvp got caught up on that one too. It was obvious at the time that it was a great value signing and fair market value, but this is ST...

Eh, after Cody Zeller signed for the minimum, Poeltl's contract still doesn't look that amazing. It's okay as long as he's used in a starting role (as I said at the time -- my issue was I didn't want Poeltl making that much as a backup) but let's not pretend his contract is mindblowingly amazing. It's pretty much his going rate.

tbdog
08-02-2021, 10:42 PM

I agree that the Spurs needed a shooter to space the court but paying above MLE for McDermott is tough to justify. A shooting big was preferred, not a 3 who is sometimes too slow to defend 3s so he shifts to 4. McDermott is a bad defender already and will only decline over the age of 30. Cap space is super valuable to a rebuilding team -- but this just needlessly eats away at it.

McDermott is better than someone like Korkmaz but I'll take Korkmaz at $5 million a year. At least he's young, has some upside, isn't locked into being a bad defender and doesn't eat as much cap room. Plus Korkmaz shoots threes at a higher volume. McDermott isn't even really a high volume three-point shooter. Walker shot threes more often last year and Walker would go possessions at a time without getting a touch :lol

In any of the previous 25 years or whatever, signing McDermott would have been okay. This summer? Ehh, I can't cosign.

I won't lose sleep because the Spurs reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally needed a floor spacer and McDermott is that (and signing him isn't nearly as bad as re-signing DeRozan, Mills or Gay) but it doesn't give me any confidence in this front office.

The way I see it, the Spurs need a 3, a shooter, and a vet. Unfortunately the Spurs are not playing for a title and need to give more dollar instinctive to get what they want. Bullock is probably the deal of the off season thus far, 10mil per, 6f6 and shoots that well. He is perfect for the Mavs. But the Mavs have a legit mvp and Spurs don't. Mcdermott is exactly what the Spurs need and if my maths are right the spurs have space to still go after Collins.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-02-2021, 10:43 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/5if5im.jpg

Robz4000
08-02-2021, 10:47 PM
David Robinson and Tim Duncan are not coming through any doors. Most of us, including me, have never known what the Spurs being a middling team looks like and we're learning on the fly. Let's just make sure DeRozan era is behind us and hope the team builds an all-star from within from this current stock and future drafts.

McDermott at $15m has value even if as a deadline trade to a contender for a 1st round pick in the next two seasons. We'll have someone who's just as or more useful from 3pt than Gay. I've always liked the guy out of Creighton so I'm biased on the signing. I think Wright made a good move for a change.

He isn't worth a second round pick, much less a first round pick.

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 10:48 PM
Wait, you've been crying and moaning all day long for a scenario that still has a pretty good chance of happening?! The Spurs can't force JColl to accept the offer sheet, you know that, right? It's literally up to the Hawks what they do about Collins. The only difference between the two scenarios you lay out here is something outside of the team's control (assuming, as we might, that the Spurs are offering JColl the max with the cap space they specifically left untouched so far).... Well, and your own doomer perception of it.

Talk about drowning in a glass of water...

First of all - hi.

Secondly it’s pretty obvious my beef and should be to anyone with a functioning brain at this point :lol

Who said SA can force Collins to sign an offer sheet? Or that even if he did they get him? I have said 100x that all that matters is they make the effort; they have no control over either him wanting to come or ATL matching.

However, with a little bit of paying attention and context the beef is the moves they have made. The draft or Primo at 12, the signing of a 29 year old shitty defensive player on a rebuilding team for 3 years, signing an oft injured player with what should be no competition for 3/22M.

Of course I would be happy with John Collins; who the hell wouldn’t be? But none of that changes all the above UNLESS that happens. SA f’d up so bad so far. They now are in a position where they absolutely have to sign someone like Collins just to break even vs it be a disaster.

They unnecessarily put themselves in a position where IF landing a star doesn’t happen that they really messed up. There is no excuse for that. They had everything gift wrapped when it comes to going a multitude of ways; a top 12 pick, tons of cap space, etc..They could have used their cap space for taking on deals and getting picks or punting space for next years better class, or getting a young star possibly in Collins while still having space to put some good pieces around him.

Instead? They immediately put themselves behind the 8 ball, squandered 2/3rds of their assets (lottery pick and 22M in space) and they have what to show for it?

Are they better than they were last year towards being a legit playoff team? Are they further along in their assets for a rebuild? No. They did jack sh*t and now are at the mercy of needing to land a big fish to salvage this or make it make any sense.

So yes, I’ve been crying and moaning and unless you disagree with any of it, what is your point?

Sugus
08-02-2021, 10:51 PM
Eh, after Cody Zeller signed for the minimum, Poeltl's contract still doesn't look that amazing. It's okay as long as he's used in a starting role (as I said at the time -- my issue was I didn't want Poeltl making that much as a backup) but let's not pretend his contract is mindblowingly amazing. It's pretty much his going rate.

Cody Zeller is trash, no way he sets the market for Jakob. And it's not that Jakob's contract is mindblowingly good, it's just pretty good - now go back to the thread and see the reactions at it. Your own, even :lol. Again, sky was falling, needlessly, as it always does in ST whenever Pop or RC make the slightest move.

Seeing the rest of the contracts handed out today, and pending on McDermott's production, I don't see this as a bad contract at all. And yet the sky is falling. That's all I'm saying.

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 10:54 PM
It's easy, actually: Spurstalk doesn't understand value contracts, and has a severe case of SpursTalk Syndrome - anything the Spurs do is loathable, anything other teams do is good, until the Spurs do it, then it's loathable too.

This is stupid, no offense. Value contracts? Spurs missed the playoffs two years in a row and couldn’t flip any of their value deals to help improve their chances at the playoffs or accelerate their future :lol. So how are they value contracts?

You’re lying with the mindset; plenty of us would have been plenty happy with tons of scenarios. If they traded back and got value and took Primo. A OK. If they took a projected lottery talent instead of reaching? A OK.

If in FA they didn’t sign a 29 year old player with poor defense to a 3 year deal on a rebuilding team before having other pieces in place that THEY CONTROL to make it make sense? A OK

If they would have taken on a bad deal and gotten draft picks? A OK. If they would have signed Dieng for a one year deal instead of taking a massive risk on an injured mediocre Zach Collins? A OK.

So no, you’re wrong. It’s not ST. It’s the FO that has been really really poor, built a team that couldn’t make the playoffs, ran that same team back and missed the playoffs, didn’t sell any vets when they had the chance for assets, got a get out of jail free card in a lottery pick and tons of cap space and now find themselves in an equal or worse position with regards to playoffs or rebuild despite having the assets.

baseline bum
08-02-2021, 10:55 PM

Where do you think the other $28 million is going? :lol

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 10:57 PM
The way I see it, the Spurs need a 3, a shooter, and a vet. Unfortunately the Spurs are not playing for a title and need to give more dollar instinctive to get what they want. Bullock is probably the deal of the off season thus far, 10mil per, 6f6 and shoots that well. He is perfect for the Mavs. But the Mavs have a legit mvp and Spurs don't. Mcdermott is exactly what the Spurs need and if my maths are right the spurs have space to still go after Collins.

It’s the opposite IMO. They aren’t contending so you definitely dont spend 3 years 42M for mediocre players just because you can. You stick to one year deals knowing you aren’t contending and you preserve the most valuable asset a rebuilding team has; flexibility

SAGirl
08-02-2021, 11:01 PM
No FA is going to come here on a a bargain deal unless he’s washed up people be realistic.

Remember Demarre Carroll, Zach Collins? The first Washed up, the second in a wheelchair?
Exactly.

It’s a market deal. Not who people want I get it and it’s a move that’s independent from that. This might be a blip all told.

Spurs also drafted a couple of shooters but bc of :pop: they will need to get over themselves first.

They didn’t have a single veteran shooter in this roster with Mills and Gay fielding offers from other teams.

slick'81
It’s the opposite IMO. They aren’t contending so you definitely dont spend 3 years 42M for mediocre players just because you can. You stick to one year deals knowing you aren’t contending and you preserve the most valuable asset a rebuilding team has; flexibility

its all moot now. This is our spur fan reality

Atl Spur
We got a sharpshooter at market value and you guys still bitch.... I would love to see how some of you move in real life����. I’m pretty sure I know the answer.....

timvp
08-02-2021, 11:03 PM
And it's not that Jakob's contract is mindblowingly good, it's just pretty good - now go back to the thread and see the reactions at it. Your own, even :lol. Again, sky was falling, needlessly, as it always does in ST whenever Pop or RC make the slightest move.

timvp was wrong about Poeltl is a good meme. I don't fight it, tbh. It's a funny one.

But if you read what I wrote about the situation, I'm not sure how accurate that meme is.

What do you think about the Spurs re-signing Jakob Poeltl? Did they pay him too much or is that a good deal for San Antonio?

Value-wise, the Spurs did fine. The market for comparable centers ended up being hotter than I expected it to be, so if you’re focusing on value, there’s no reason to be upset with Jakob Poeltl getting $27 million over three years. Considering that Mason Plumlee got $25 million over three seasons, San Antonio has to be pleased. Poeltl is better than Plumlee and five years younger, so paying $2 million more over three years can be classified as a win.

That said, I’m not sold on whether this was the right move for San Antonio. Going into free agency, I advocated for setting the budget at $7 million for Poeltl. As it turned out, his contract will start at $8.3 million. Judging this transaction on the budget I set, the Spurs went over budget by $1.3 million — which obviously isn’t a huge deal in a league where the salary cap is well north of $100 million. It’s essentially a rounding error in the grand scheme of the NBA salary cap world.

Another silver lining of Poeltl’s deal is it was (just barely) small enough to keep the Spurs under the luxury tax threshold. If it was even just a little bit larger, the Spurs would have had to do some potentially costly salary cap gymnastics to avoid paying the tax. In such a scenario, the Spurs may have been forced to give up desirable young players or picks. That was avoided with the contract Poeltl signed, which is a definite plus.

But, again, I thought the best way forward was for the Spurs to open as much salary cap room next summer as was reasonably possible. Does it make sense to use more than $8 million in what have been salary cap room to lock up a player who appears destined for a backup role for at least another season? Unless something changes, that’s at best iffy. Good signing in terms of value, questionable signing when focusing on salary cap management.

If the Spurs turn around and trade LaMarcus Aldridge, would that change your view on Poeltl’s signing?

Oh, yeah, absolutely. My critique of the Poeltl signing is assuming the Spurs stand pat and basically do nothing else until next summer. If the Spurs turn around and move LaMarcus Aldridge now that they are assured Poeltl will be returning, that would change everything. Depending on what the Spurs get back in a hypothetical trade involving Aldridge, it’s highly likely that signing Poeltl to a three-year, $27 million contract was a no-brainer.

In fact, to change the dynamics of how Poeltl’s contract should be viewed, it doesn’t necessarily have to be Aldridge getting traded. For example, if the Spurs trade DeMar DeRozan, Patty Mills or Rudy Gay in a deal that brings back draft assets attached to a bad contract, that would make this Poeltl contract look much better in retrospect.

However, if the Spurs simply run it back, don’t make any notable moves and remain in a holding pattern, the decision to eat into their 2021 cap space to secure the services of a backup center will continue to look dubious.

https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-thoughts-jakob-poeltl-drew-eubanks/

If that's the best example of timvp being wrong, I mean, alright.

I'm rooting for the "the Spurs front office shouldn't be doubted because the Poeltl contract was amazing" train to be right ... but I don't think it's the glorious win the train conductors think it is, tbh.

timvp
08-02-2021, 11:05 PM
This is stupid, no offense. Value contracts? Spurs missed the playoffs two years in a row and couldn’t flip any of their value deals to help improve their chances at the playoffs or accelerate their future :lol. So how are they value contracts?

You’re lying with the mindset; plenty of us would have been plenty happy with tons of scenarios. If they traded back and got value and took Primo. A OK. If they took a projected lottery talent instead of reaching? A OK.

If in FA they didn’t sign a 29 year old player with poor defense to a 3 year deal on a rebuilding team before having other pieces in place that THEY CONTROL to make it make sense? A OK

If they would have taken on a bad deal and gotten draft picks? A OK. If they would have signed Dieng for a one year deal instead of taking a massive risk on an injured mediocre Zach Collins? A OK.

So no, you’re wrong. It’s not ST. It’s the FO that has been really really poor, built a team that couldn’t make the playoffs, ran that same team back and missed the playoffs, didn’t sell any vets when they had the chance for assets, got a get out of jail free card in a lottery pick and tons of cap space and now find themselves in an equal or worse position with regards to playoffs or rebuild despite having the assets.

https://media.giphy.com/media/kqCgujDZT1SO4/source.gif

Mr. Body
08-02-2021, 11:05 PM

Yeah, tmvp really blew the Poeltl analysis. That's okay, it happens.

timvp
08-02-2021, 11:06 PM
Yeah, tmvp really blew the Poeltl analysis.

:lol Gotta love it.

Sugus
08-02-2021, 11:06 PM
First of all - hi.

(...)

So yes, I’ve been crying and moaning and unless you disagree with any of it, what is your point?

Hi my guy, we haven't talked much, mainly because you're only on here when the sky is falling :lol.

My point was exactly that the Spurs are (presumably) headed exactly towards your preferred scenario (in that one post, not addressing the multitude others you've made), and the only difference between the two scenarios is something out of their control (whether JColl agrees to come to SA or not). So, it seems, uh, hyperbolic, to make such a stark contrast between both, when all the Spurs can do is put themselves in that good position to sign JColl.

As to the rest of your post, well, I disagree. As many other posters on this board, you have an unnecessarily negativistic view of events IMO. The Primo pick can perfectly pan out (and to that you'll say the true bad move was not trading down for an extra pick, to which I'll quote you the reports that other teams were looking to take him after us; I've seen this movie already). The McDermott signing is perfectly understandable once you see all 3 veterans on this team have a foot out the door, and somebody's gotta be a leader in the locker room who's over 25, not to mention the dearth of shooting the team has, and the benefits of having a proven shooter spacing the floor for our multiple inconsistent-shooting guards. But again, it's only disaster from your POV. Nothing but your preferred course of action is good, is my overarching point, because everything else is doomed to you.

I don't like Zollins, that's a bad signing and a bad player, but I see the gamble on upside. Weren't you on the rebuild train? Gambling for low risk/high reward players (high risk in this case, tbf) is a part of that. And before you start, no, the Spurs aren't absorbing bad players for picks either. I know the board is deluded with this idea, but it has literally never happened with the Spurs, and I doubt they look at the high-morale core they have and go "yeah, it's sure worth it to throw a cancer of a player in there just for an extra first rounder". You expect something out of the Spurs that they won't do.

I don't think that if they don't land Collins, they've utterly failed. Why don't you take a step back? They'd go into next season with little money tied to contracts, a youth-filled team with little vets in the way of young guys' playing time, and an entire (probably tanking) season to see which ones stick and which ones don't. Eerily similar to what most of SpursTalk has been wanting for years..... But now that it's going down, it's ugly, and y'all don't like it because it's not your way. I don't know, that's how it looks from the outside, tbqh.

I think the true barometer for whether this season is a W/L is absolutely, primarily, and wholly whether DeRozan is brought back or not. Literally everything else is irrelevant, because that's a pivotal, franchise-course-changing decision. You can disagree, but, that's why I say you drown in a glass of water. Cheers.

Mr. Body
08-02-2021, 11:07 PM
:lol Gotta love it.

You did. I remember telling you how wrong you were at the time, too. You were really emotional about the whole signing. Kind of like you are now.

ducks
08-02-2021, 11:11 PM

ESPN knows nothing except Harris pussy

timvp
08-02-2021, 11:11 PM
You did. I remember telling you how wrong you were at the time, too. You were really emotional about the whole signing. Kind of like you are now.

That's a really cool story but I still stand behind what I wrote at the time. Do you disagree with a part of it, tbh?

I don't mind being wrong but this is a weird example, IMO.

What do you think about the Spurs re-signing Jakob Poeltl? Did they pay him too much or is that a good deal for San Antonio?

Value-wise, the Spurs did fine. The market for comparable centers ended up being hotter than I expected it to be, so if you’re focusing on value, there’s no reason to be upset with Jakob Poeltl getting $27 million over three years. Considering that Mason Plumlee got $25 million over three seasons, San Antonio has to be pleased. Poeltl is better than Plumlee and five years younger, so paying $2 million more over three years can be classified as a win.

That said, I’m not sold on whether this was the right move for San Antonio. Going into free agency, I advocated for setting the budget at $7 million for Poeltl. As it turned out, his contract will start at $8.3 million. Judging this transaction on the budget I set, the Spurs went over budget by $1.3 million — which obviously isn’t a huge deal in a league where the salary cap is well north of $100 million. It’s essentially a rounding error in the grand scheme of the NBA salary cap world.

Another silver lining of Poeltl’s deal is it was (just barely) small enough to keep the Spurs under the luxury tax threshold. If it was even just a little bit larger, the Spurs would have had to do some potentially costly salary cap gymnastics to avoid paying the tax. In such a scenario, the Spurs may have been forced to give up desirable young players or picks. That was avoided with the contract Poeltl signed, which is a definite plus.

But, again, I thought the best way forward was for the Spurs to open as much salary cap room next summer as was reasonably possible. Does it make sense to use more than $8 million in what have been salary cap room to lock up a player who appears destined for a backup role for at least another season? Unless something changes, that’s at best iffy. Good signing in terms of value, questionable signing when focusing on salary cap management.

If the Spurs turn around and trade LaMarcus Aldridge, would that change your view on Poeltl’s signing?

Oh, yeah, absolutely. My critique of the Poeltl signing is assuming the Spurs stand pat and basically do nothing else until next summer. If the Spurs turn around and move LaMarcus Aldridge now that they are assured Poeltl will be returning, that would change everything. Depending on what the Spurs get back in a hypothetical trade involving Aldridge, it’s highly likely that signing Poeltl to a three-year, $27 million contract was a no-brainer.

In fact, to change the dynamics of how Poeltl’s contract should be viewed, it doesn’t necessarily have to be Aldridge getting traded. For example, if the Spurs trade DeMar DeRozan, Patty Mills or Rudy Gay in a deal that brings back draft assets attached to a bad contract, that would make this Poeltl contract look much better in retrospect.

However, if the Spurs simply run it back, don’t make any notable moves and remain in a holding pattern, the decision to eat into their 2021 cap space to secure the services of a backup center will continue to look dubious.

https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-thoughts-jakob-poeltl-drew-eubanks/

pad300
08-02-2021, 11:16 PM
What I really want to know about this contract is how much of the 3ed year is guaranteed. I'd also like to know if it's set up to be flat, increasing or decreasing.

Sugus
08-02-2021, 11:17 PM

I've answered most of these points in the other comment, missed this one.

I talked about value contracts in terms of the players' market value and its relation to the contract the Spurs give said player. Giving Jakob $9M per was a good value signing because players of his caliber end up going for much less, yet ST was sky-fallin' over it. The rest of your comment regarding how the Spurs do in the playoff hunt is irrelevant to the signing, it hinges on a multitude of other factors, some of which I disagree with the FO on, and which weren't related to my comment at all.

You again have a hard-off against McD for the sole reason that he's 29 years old and your vision of "tanking" doesn't correlate with 29yo's. Who says the Spurs can't sign him and tank? Again, it's better for the guard's development to have floor spacers around them, I don't see a problem with that. Again, the Spurs aren't taking bad contracts for picks, I'll believe it when I see the Holts signing off on it. Literally as much a pipe dream as posters say signing JColl is. You can disagree with the Spurs not doing it, but it's not our money at the end of the day...

The Spurs didn't get no get out of jail free cards, I don't know what you're smoking, and they sure aren't in a worse position regarding a rebuild than they were before. Again, the vets are likely off the team, the young guys are looking at as many possessions as they can handle, the team is probably headed for a short tank. Disastrous! :lol.

This is what I'm saying... You're drowning, my guy. Helplessly. Needlessly. Masochistically? Maybe, it's the only explanation I can see for a lot of posters these days...

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 11:22 PM
Hi my guy, we haven't talked much, mainly because you're only on here when the sky is falling :lol.

My point was exactly that the Spurs are (presumably) headed exactly towards your preferred scenario (in that one post, not addressing the multitude others you've made), and the only difference between the two scenarios is something out of their control (whether JColl agrees to come to SA or not). So, it seems, uh, hyperbolic, to make such a stark contrast between both, when all the Spurs can do is put themselves in that good position to sign JColl.

As to the rest of your post, well, I disagree. As many other posters on this board, you have an unnecessarily negativistic view of events IMO. The Primo pick can perfectly pan out (and to that you'll say the true bad move was not trading down for an extra pick, to which I'll quote you the reports that other teams were looking to take him after us; I've seen this movie already). The McDermott signing is perfectly understandable once you see all 3 veterans on this team have a foot out the door, and somebody's gotta be a leader in the locker room who's over 25, not to mention the dearth of shooting the team has, and the benefits of having a proven shooter spacing the floor for our multiple inconsistent-shooting guards. But again, it's only disaster from your POV. Nothing but your preferred course of action is good, is my overarching point, because everything else is doomed to you.

I don't like Zollins, that's a bad signing and a bad player, but I see the gamble on upside. Weren't you on the rebuild train? Gambling for low risk/high reward players (high risk in this case, tbf) is a part of that. And before you start, no, the Spurs aren't absorbing bad players for picks either. I know the board is deluded with this idea, but it has literally never happened with the Spurs, and I doubt they look at the high-morale core they have and go "yeah, it's sure worth it to throw a cancer of a player in there just for an extra first rounder". You expect something out of the Spurs that they won't do.

I don't think that if they don't land Collins, they've utterly failed. Why don't you take a step back? They'd go into next season with little money tied to contracts, a youth-filled team with little vets in the way of young guys' playing time, and an entire (probably tanking) season to see which ones stick and which ones don't. Eerily similar to what most of SpursTalk has been wanting for years..... But now that it's going down, it's ugly, and y'all don't like it because it's not your way. I don't know, that's how it looks from the outside, tbqh.

I think the true barometer for whether this season is a W/L is absolutely, primarily, and wholly whether DeRozan is brought back or not. Literally everything else is irrelevant, because that's a pivotal, franchise-course-changing decision. You can disagree, but, that's why I say you drown in a glass of water. Cheers.

I’ve said that not bringing back the vets is a win. So far so good but that is still possible. But so far, so good.

But we disagree that putting the fate of your decisions in the hands of Collins and ATL is a good idea. I am on the rebuild train; it’s why I am upset at Doug. We dont need vets and leaders. They just had them for years and it’s the youth time to shine (or not). Doug isn’t a leader and there was zero reason to sign him unless you had a Collins and wanted to keep building.

But you dont sign him and pray you can get Collins. The flexibility was the asset; not the roster spot. Unless you get something tangible for it, you dont use it. If the signings dont push you towards anything (I prefer rebuild but understand playoffs) then you dont do it.

It’s not just bitching to bitch. It’s legit terrible GM’ing.

Sure, they COULD land Collins and I would be thrilled and the results are what matters. But I hate the position they put themselves in and they don’t control anything anymore which is not a good spot after being in a great spot.

Sugus
08-02-2021, 11:23 PM
That's a really cool story but I still stand behind what I wrote at the time. Do you disagree with a part of it, tbh?

I don't mind being wrong but this is a weird example, IMO.

No, no, I know what Mr. Body is talking about and my previous comment was directed at that too.

I don't know when you wrote that WOT but it certainly wasn't your first reaction to the signing - the comments you made on the "Jakob Poeltl has agreed to a deal..." thread. I mean, I'm not gonna look the thread and your comments up just to "bust you up", but it certainly wasn't that (I guess that was your "official" opinion posted to the SpursTalk website, and we're talking about your "initial impression" in the heat of the moment? I don't know, but it certainly wasn't that).

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 11:24 PM
I've answered most of these points in the other comment, missed this one.

I talked about value contracts in terms of the players' market value and its relation to the contract the Spurs give said player. Giving Jakob $9M per was a good value signing because players of his caliber end up going for much less, yet ST was sky-fallin' over it. The rest of your comment regarding how the Spurs do in the playoff hunt is irrelevant to the signing, it hinges on a multitude of other factors, some of which I disagree with the FO on, and which weren't related to my comment at all.

You again have a hard-off against McD for the sole reason that he's 29 years old and your vision of "tanking" doesn't correlate with 29yo's. Who says the Spurs can't sign him and tank? Again, it's better for the guard's development to have floor spacers around them, I don't see a problem with that. Again, the Spurs aren't taking bad contracts for picks, I'll believe it when I see the Holts signing off on it. Literally as much a pipe dream as posters say signing JColl is. You can disagree with the Spurs not doing it, but it's not our money at the end of the day...

The Spurs didn't get no get out of jail free cards, I don't know what you're smoking, and they sure aren't in a worse position regarding a rebuild than they were before. Again, the vets are likely off the team, the young guys are looking at as many possessions as they can handle, the team is probably headed for a short tank. Disastrous! :lol.

This is what I'm saying... You're drowning, my guy. Helplessly. Needlessly. Masochistically? Maybe, it's the only explanation I can see for a lot of posters these days...

Well, you gaslighting ST’ers like we dont have a beef is where I take “issue” (I mean I’m not mad at you or anything :lol). These are all legit issues and it’s been a trainwreck for years and this off season has been a disaster in terms of what could have been and quite frankly should have been.

itzsoweezee
08-02-2021, 11:33 PM
Holding my tongue until Derozan is decided. There is absolutely no excuse for that guy being on the team when the season starts

Sugus
08-02-2021, 11:40 PM
I’ve said that not bringing back the vets is a win. So far so good but that is still possible. But so far, so good.

It's not "so good", TBQH. After the seasons we've had, not bringing the vets back is a flat-out home run. Disingenous that you can call the off-season "disastrous" when such an important feat can/will take place. It'd singlehandedly make the off-season a B+, and show the team's direction on its own as a decision (to the point that I'm nervous writing too much about it - don't wanna jinx it!).

We dont need vets and leaders. They just had them for years and it’s the youth time to shine (or not). Doug isn’t a leader and there was zero reason to sign him unless you had a Collins and wanted to keep building.

Disagree completely. Every team needs vets and leaders. Not every team has to have a vet, that's also the leader of the team (if DJ stays, he's probably the leader of the team, with McD being "just" the vet). But they definitely need vets... They show character, teach the ropes to youngings (you don't think Primo could use a player of his position, that's also a shooter, and high character guy, teaching him around? Who's gonna teach him if not, Pop? Timmy? Lol). Vets are a key component of a healthy lockerroom, youth-only groups tend to flame out and ego clash with no steadying hand in place.

And again you gloss over McD's importance as a floor spacer. With Gay and Mills (potentially, hopefully, dear God come on...) leaving - who's the floor spacer on the team? Vassell is way too unproven, the rest of our guards are either always hurt (White) or still finding their shot and unreliable as spacers (Keldon, Lonnie, DJ, et al). You can't trot out 4 non-proven shooters and a non-shooter in this NBA... Not only because you'll lose every game (which in a tank isn't so bad) but because you'll hinder the team overall. Keldon wouldn't have any lanes to drive, same as Lonnie. DJ would be forced out into the perimeter and dared to shoot all day. It fucks things up and hinders development of our guards that we desperately need. It's not irrelevant as you make it seem TBH.

The flexibility was the asset; not the roster spot. Unless you get something tangible for it, you dont use it. If the signings dont push you towards anything (I prefer rebuild but understand playoffs) then you dont do it.

It’s not just bitching to bitch. It’s legit terrible GM’ing.

Sure, they COULD land Collins and I would be thrilled and the results are what matters. But I hate the position they put themselves in and they don’t control anything anymore which is not a good spot after being in a great spot.

What flexibility did they lose? The possibility of signing two Max FA's? You gotta convince them to come here first, and they won't... I've already said (and you can disagree! It's ok) that I don't see the Spurs ever taking on shit contracts for picks, OKC style. It's not their game. So there's no real flexibility lost there, because it wasn't an avenue that was in the cards. I'd like for it to be, but also get the argument against it, especially for a nowhere team like the Spurs. You gotta put a semblance of a good product on the floor, we can't afford to bottom out Fakers-style for 6 seasons and not have it impact the organization.

I think they control a lot more than you give them credit for - it's just that you don't like the way they're going. Again, perfectly ok, but you'll have to excuse my initial remark staying, you're drowning in a glass of water to me still. Giving CP0 a $120M contract is disastrous - the moves the Spurs have made so far are at worst, simply bad, if JColl doesn't sign here, and again they weren't in a "great" spot to begin with (or else there wouldn't be a thread in this forum already claiming the Spurs have the worst future in the division...).

Sugus
08-02-2021, 11:43 PM
Well, you gaslighting ST’ers like we dont have a beef is where I take “issue” (I mean I’m not mad at you or anything :lol). These are all legit issues and it’s been a trainwreck for years and this off season has been a disaster in terms of what could have been and quite frankly should have been.

Lol, I didn't think you'd take my comments as "gaslighting", and of course I'm not mad at you either. I come on this forum to talk Spurs basketball and sometimes make friends, little else, I don't give a fuck about the petty fights and who's who of this lost corner of the Internet.

It's just that at its core, these issues you rant about, from my POV, are not big enough whatsoever to warrant the reaction. Well, at this point I'm certain a good amount of the negative reaction is just circlejerk, especially regarding things that can't be judged immediately like the Primo pick. At the end of the day, the only real, truly important thing is that the Spurs are lacking a superstar..... Everything else is irrelevant until they get it. Luckily for us, it's looking like they'll try to come and grab it next season, for now - even if the way they're going about it looks unorthodox or unwise to you. That's all.

Sugus
08-02-2021, 11:45 PM
What I really want to know about this contract is how much of the 3ed year is guaranteed. I'd also like to know if it's set up to be flat, increasing or decreasing.

I want to know this too, and especially for the Zollins contract. Kinda weird that no details about either contract have gotten out after several hours of the announcements. It'll shed a lot of light...

DPG21920
08-02-2021, 11:55 PM
It's not "so good", TBQH. After the seasons we've had, not bringing the vets back is a flat-out home run. Disingenous that you can call the off-season "disastrous" when such an important feat can/will take place. It'd singlehandedly make the off-season a B+, and show the team's direction on its own as a decision (to the point that I'm nervous writing too much about it - don't wanna jinx it!).

Disagree completely. Every team needs vets and leaders. Not every team has to have a vet, that's also the leader of the team (if DJ stays, he's probably the leader of the team, with McD being "just" the vet). But they definitely need vets... They show character, teach the ropes to youngings (you don't think Primo could use a player of his position, that's also a shooter, and high character guy, teaching him around? Who's gonna teach him if not, Pop? Timmy? Lol). Vets are a key component of a healthy lockerroom, youth-only groups tend to flame out and ego clash with no steadying hand in place.

And again you gloss over McD's importance as a floor spacer. With Gay and Mills (potentially, hopefully, dear God come on...) leaving - who's the floor spacer on the team? Vassell is way too unproven, the rest of our guards are either always hurt (White) or still finding their shot and unreliable as spacers (Keldon, Lonnie, DJ, et al). You can't trot out 4 non-proven shooters and a non-shooter in this NBA... Not only because you'll lose every game (which in a tank isn't so bad) but because you'll hinder the team overall. Keldon wouldn't have any lanes to drive, same as Lonnie. DJ would be forced out into the perimeter and dared to shoot all day. It fucks things up and hinders development of our guards that we desperately need. It's not irrelevant as you make it seem TBH.

What flexibility did they lose? The possibility of signing two Max FA's? You gotta convince them to come here first, and they won't... I've already said (and you can disagree! It's ok) that I don't see the Spurs ever taking on shit contracts for picks, OKC style. It's not their game. So there's no real flexibility lost there, because it wasn't an avenue that was in the cards. I'd like for it to be, but also get the argument against it, especially for a nowhere team like the Spurs. You gotta put a semblance of a good product on the floor, we can't afford to bottom out Fakers-style for 6 seasons and not have it impact the organization.

I think they control a lot more than you give them credit for - it's just that you don't like the way they're going. Again, perfectly ok, but you'll have to excuse my initial remark staying, you're drowning in a glass of water to me still. Giving CP0 a $120M contract is disastrous - the moves the Spurs have made so far are at worst, simply bad, if JColl doesn't sign here, and again they weren't in a "great" spot to begin with (or else there wouldn't be a thread in this forum already claiming the Spurs have the worst future in the division...).

https://twitter.com/schultz_report/status/1422417271490744322?s=21

Not out of the woods yet..

slick'81
08-02-2021, 11:56 PM

Already said the spurs wanted him back. Everyone knows how the spurs operate. They are on derozans timetable:lol

playblair
08-02-2021, 11:57 PM

excellent post

Robz4000
08-03-2021, 12:01 AM

:pctoss

Atl Spur
08-03-2021, 12:07 AM
:pctoss

Hi Bum ass! Stop posting

ducks
08-03-2021, 12:15 AM
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
·
28m
DeMar still has other potential suitors as well. Several teams covet his services, but have told me they’re still unsure what DeRozan’s market value is. Barring a sizable offer, it doesn’t feel like there’s necessarily a rush to get something done on his end.

Robz4000
08-03-2021, 12:17 AM
Hi Bum ass! Stop posting

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Qaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Atl Spur
08-03-2021, 12:27 AM
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Qaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

This dude just threaten to kill me...... wow!!

Robz4000
08-03-2021, 12:33 AM
This dude just threaten to kill me...... wow!!

OMG! Stop doing copy paste! It’s so stupid! Like you’re so unfunny that you can’t even come up with your own original comments? No. You’re too stupid to even bother. It’s just too easy too copy someone else’s work and like they weren’t even trying to be funny. They were serious and here you are, just sitting there making fun of them! Who do you think you are? Clearly someone with a low IQ. Like we should all be loving and supportive of each other, especially the women! Why tare someone down like that when they didn’t even do anything to u. And I know you’re probably just going to laugh ant me and call me names too. It’s obvious you’re just threatened by supereor intelligence and you can’t handle it. Why don’t you actually work on your own comedy instead of making fun of everyone else just because you can’t come up with your very own original thoughts? Like do you know who I am? I’m a super genius. I have an IQ Of 170, I’m probably smarter than Albert Instein. By the time I was in kindgergarden I was reading at a college level. I actually have the intelligence to understand these kind of jokes but of course the uneducated masses wouldn’t even be able to begen to understand the depth of this modern art. Of course I like Classical Art more it takes a special person like me to to understand it. I made teachers so angry because I would often inform them how they were wrong. It’s not my fault I’m smarter than them on the subject. Also I’m an army spoce and my husband is fighting for your right to be stupid and make fun of people. He’s a specialist and he also is very intelligent. In two years he’ll probably own the the whole army. He’s too in everything he does. And when he onws tue army I’ll make sure he snipes anyone who makes fun of me so you better not make fun of me!!!! Anyway like, really you shouldn’t make fun of geniusus. We’re way smarter than you especially since you can’t even grasp the basics of scientific humor like this.

Doe
08-03-2021, 12:47 AM
After reading some Pacer fans opinions I’m good with this signing. The Zach Collins one is unconscionable, dunno wtf they’re paying for some bust’s rehab.

Atl Spur
08-03-2021, 01:00 AM
OMG! Stop doing copy paste! It’s so stupid! Like you’re so unfunny that you can’t even come up with your own original comments? No. You’re too stupid to even bother. It’s just too easy too copy someone else’s work and like they weren’t even trying to be funny. They were serious and here you are, just sitting there making fun of them! Who do you think you are? Clearly someone with a low IQ. Like we should all be loving and supportive of each other, especially the women! Why tare someone down like that when they didn’t even do anything to u. And I know you’re probably just going to laugh ant me and call me names too. It’s obvious you’re just threatened by supereor intelligence and you can’t handle it. Why don’t you actually work on your own comedy instead of making fun of everyone else just because you can’t come up with your very own original thoughts? Like do you know who I am? I’m a super genius. I have an IQ Of 170, I’m probably smarter than Albert Instein. By the time I was in kindgergarden I was reading at a college level. I actually have the intelligence to understand these kind of jokes but of course the uneducated masses wouldn’t even be able to begen to understand the depth of this modern art. Of course I like Classical Art more it takes a special person like me to to understand it. I made teachers so angry because I would often inform them how they were wrong. It’s not my fault I’m smarter than them on the subject. Also I’m an army spoce and my husband is fighting for your right to be stupid and make fun of people. He’s a specialist and he also is very intelligent. In two years he’ll probably own the the whole army. He’s too in everything he does. And when he onws tue army I’ll make sure he snipes anyone who makes fun of me so you better not make fun of me!!!! Anyway like, really you shouldn’t make fun of geniusus. We’re way smarter than you especially since you can’t even grasp the basics of scientific humor like this.

You may want to call a friend sparky.....

Atl Spur
08-03-2021, 01:00 AM

Robz4000
08-03-2021, 01:03 AM

actually, since you asked, yes.
on behalf of the red-blooded American males of Spurstalk, please stop littering your posts with unbelievably gay cartoon pictures.

they are suitable for grade-school aged girls and homosexuals only.

by the way, on the list of top 10 signs that a person might be a homosexual, #1 is being male and expecting that terms such as 'emoticon' should be common knowledge among other males.

look at your post, post #18. tell me if you see any animated cartoon pictures, or if you just made your argument with words, like a man.

I count not one but two faggy smiley faces.
...there you go again. you have no place to lecture me about facts.

I'm not saying you should commit suicide, but if the option to end your life were to present itself it might not be a bad idea to look into it ...

SPARKY
08-03-2021, 01:20 AM
sup?

callo1
08-03-2021, 02:07 AM
Solid grab.

Didn't break the bank and got more scoring.

Much more athletic than given credit for.

ElNono
08-03-2021, 02:24 AM
Next season’s motto: Losing the Wright Way!

:lol I'm gonna steal this

Play Boban
08-03-2021, 12:26 PM
We need more high character guys on this team tbh.

Sugus
08-03-2021, 03:55 PM

:smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

FUCK YEAH BABY DEROZAN IS OFF THE TEAM!!!! LESSS GOOOO

Come on, Dude, "pay out". Metaphorically. Give the FO the praise it deserves.

I told you yesterday, this single move already makes this off-season plenty successful. The fact that Gay is also off the team from today's trade (!!!) and Patty also heavily rumored to leave..... Cream on the fuckin' top.

I'm hardly able to contain my excitement TBH. You wanted direction, didn't you? Flexibility? This is the clearest pro-tanking move the Spurs could've made - AND they got multiple picks back for DeRozan, not losing the asset for nothing, AND other players on short-term deals that can be rerouted elsewhere if needed, AND (if I read the trade specifics correctly) they can still make that move towards the Good Collins.

Not fuckin' bad for Wrong, I'll tell you. Well, I'd tell you, but I'd like to hear it from you much better....... ;)

Spurs Brazil
08-08-2021, 09:35 AM
SPURS ACQUIRE DOUG MCDERMOTT
Posted: Aug 08, 2021
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
SAN ANTONIO (Aug. 8, 2021) – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have acquired forward Doug McDermott, a 2023 protected second round pick and the right to swap 2026 second round picks with the Indiana Pacers in exchange for San Antonio’s 2023 protected second round pick. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not announced.

McDermott, 6-8/225, averaged career-highs of 13.6 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 25.4 minutes while shooting .532 from the floor last season for Indiana. He was one of 10 players in the NBA to make over 100 three-pointers while shooting over .500 from the field last year. In three seasons with the Pacers, McDermott averaged 10.3 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 20.4 minutes while shooting .507 from the field and .411 from three-point range.

A seven-year veteran, McDermott is one of only nine active players in the NBA with over 600 three-pointers while shooting at least .400 from beyond the arc. A career .407 shooter from long range, McDermott holds averages of 9.0 points and 2.4 rebounds in 20.6 minutes over 476 total games.

Originally drafted with the 11th overall selection in the 2014 NBA Draft by the Denver Nuggets, McDermott was acquired by Chicago in a draft night trade, he spent two-plus years with the Bulls before being traded to Oklahoma City during the 2016-17 season. Dealt to New York prior to the 2017-18 campaign, McDermott split the year between the Knicks and Dallas Mavericks before signing with Indiana in July of 2018.

Named the 2014 National College Player of the Year after leading the country in scoring his senior year, McDermott was a consensus First-Team All-American in his final three seasons at Creighton and is one of three players in NCAA men’s basketball history to record over 3,000 points and 1,000 rebounds.

McDermott will wear No. 17 for the Silver and Black.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs/files/img_6464.jpg?w=756&h=504

Chinook
08-08-2021, 09:45 AM
Ah. So Indy paid the Spurs for a TE. That's a hell of a deal by Wright. His good trades are outnumbering his bad. Likely SA's pick is top-55 protected and Indy's is lightly protected. It's not mich, but it's free.

Btb, the DeRozan trade isn't done yet. Hope the Ball investigation doesn't end up preventing it from going through. It shouldn't, and it could be the Spurs delaying as they continue to explore ways to use their flexibility.

RC_Drunkford
08-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Ah. So Indy paid the Spurs for a TE. That's a hell of a deal by Wright. His good trades are outnumbering his bad. Likely SA's pick is top-55 protected and Indy's is lightly protected. It's not mich, but it's free.

Btb, the DeRozan trade isn't done yet. Hope the Ball investigation doesn't end up preventing it from going through. It shouldn't, and it could be the Spurs delaying as they continue to explore ways to use their flexibility.

so does that mean most likely scenario is that Spurs keep their 2nd rounder and get the Pacers 2nd? Cause initially I thought they just swapped picks, but if the protections are like that Spurs basically got a 2nd rounder for it. That’s definitely a good deal

Chinook
08-08-2021, 10:00 AM
so does that mean most likely scenario is that Spurs keep their 2nd rounder and get the Pacers 2nd? Cause initially I thought they just swapped picks, but if the protections are like that Spurs basically got a 2nd rounder for it. That’s definitely a good deal

Yeah. I don't know them yet, but my guess is the Spurs are getting the worst of Dallas', Houston's, Miami's and Indy's picks. If the Spurs convey their pick, SA probably the second-worst pick among those three instead.

Or it could be being reported weird and SA got that DAL/HOU/MIA pick clean.

RC_Drunkford
08-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Ok but what are we doing with all these 2nd rounders? I guess we could use them to move up into the late first, with a lot of teams being in the tax or close to it. But what we really need are first round draft picks

spurraider21
08-08-2021, 10:07 AM
Ok but what are we doing with all these 2nd rounders? I guess we could use them to move up into the late first, with a lot of teams being in the tax or close to it. But what we really need are first round draft picks
Theyre also a lot harder to get. You’re not usually getting a first for a trade exception either.

Teamduncan21
08-08-2021, 10:13 AM

The bulls investigation may impact us. If they get punished by stripping their picks we would need other picks to compensate.

stephen jackson
08-08-2021, 10:24 AM
2 rounders are useless

rankingtear
08-08-2021, 10:32 AM
2 rounders are useless

Except when they are not.

Dex
08-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Yeah, it’s not like we’ve ever gotten a good player in the second round :rolleyes

Teamduncan21
08-08-2021, 10:36 AM
2 rounders are useless

It can be packaged to move up. Like the Kelly olynyk Shane Larkin trade.
Or package many second rounds for a late first.

mo7888
08-08-2021, 10:37 AM

We can use them to move up, or to sweeten a future trade acquisition, or attach them if they need to dump a contract (Zollins?)... it basically increases the flexibility we have..

SAGirl
08-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Good deal. :clap

Mr. Body
08-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Seem to have squeezed additional value out of nothing, if true. Sounds great. This is how you use cap space to get what you can.

CGD
08-08-2021, 10:51 AM
Per aggregators, Suns, Pels, and Nuggets were other teams interest, meaning at least Suns and Nuggets should be prime trade deadline targets when they explore moving McBob for assets.

PrimeMinister
08-08-2021, 11:17 AM
There is some value to be found in the second round and at the very least it’s lube to get another deal done

timvp
08-08-2021, 11:28 AM
More good use of cap space. The Spurs basically traded a $7 million trade exception they created through their cap space and got something like $7-8 million worth of second round picks. It's not a huge return obviously but it makes sense to keep piling up the assets.

Yeah, that'd be my guess. The Spurs get some sort of second round pick in 2023 and the ability swap picks in 2026 if they want. In return, the Spurs had to give something .... so a top-55 protected second rounder was probably handed over. (The Spurs could give the rights to a player that's never coming over but with the NBA cracking down on tampering and possibly illegal trades right now, sending a protected second round pick is safer than sending the rights to some dude who is retired :lol.)

Indiana has a couple second round picks in 2023 so my guess is they protected them in case one lands high in the second round (like maybe protected just 31 and 32).

But bottom line is the Spurs got something out of nothing so can't be too upset no matter what it is. If they actually get a pick in the 30s either year, that'd be a huge win. Those picks are really valuable ... and it looks like the Spurs get two cracks at getting lucky in that regard.

baseline bum
08-08-2021, 11:31 AM
:vomit: seeing that scrub in Mario Elie's number

Das Texan
08-08-2021, 11:48 AM
This makes the McDermott deal look a little less bad.

Using their assets which in this case is cap space is smart, to acquire more assets makes tons of sense.

Kudos!

Still not a fan of this deal, but whatever in the end. Hopefully McDermott proves to be somewhat useful.

timvp
08-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Yeah, overall this signing is still pretty bad, IMO. Poor defender (probably bottom 20 defender in the league, if we're being honest) heading into his 30s is not a playertype I'd want a rebuilding Spurs team to target . . .

timvp
08-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Yeah, overall this signing is still pretty bad, IMO. Poor defender (probably bottom 20 defender in the league, if we're being honest) heading into his 30s is not a playertype I'd want a rebuilding Spurs team to target . . .

RC_Drunkford
08-08-2021, 12:08 PM
Can’t wait to see the McDermott/Forbes line up

pad300
08-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Do we know if Doug's contract is fully guaranteed?

Drom John
08-08-2021, 12:15 PM

FiveThirtyEight Defense Raptor 1,058 minutes (their default) bottom 21

250) Bryn Forbes
247) Ja Morant, Lonnie Walker IV, Trae Young
246) Anfernee Simons
245) Luke Kennard
244) Doug McDermott
243) D'Angelo Russell
242) Lou Williams
240) Cole Anthony, Theo Maledon
238) DeMar DeRozan, Colin Sexton
234) Carmelo Anthony, Anthony Edwards, Enes Kanter, Alesej Pokusevski
233) De'Aaron Fox
232) Gary Trent Jr.
230) D.J. Ausgustin, Tyrese Haliburton

Drom John
08-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Double post.

Drom John
08-08-2021, 12:20 PM
Can’t wait to see the McDermott/Forbes line up

Howzabout the Forbes/McDermott/Walker lineup?

timvp
08-08-2021, 12:21 PM
Do we know if Doug's contract is fully guaranteed?

If he had MLE teams going after him, I'm guessing it's fully guaranteed. Maybe $2-4M unguaranteed in the final season but I'd be surprised because it makes sense that the Spurs would have to overpay to stop him from going to a contender with a more defined role.

timvp
08-08-2021, 12:22 PM

250) Bryn Forbes
246) Anfernee Simons
245) Luke Kennard
244) Doug McDermott
243) D'Angelo Russell
242) Lou Williams
233) De'Aaron Fox
232) Gary Trent Jr.

Three of the 16 worst defenders in the league on the same team? Big oof.

objective
08-08-2021, 12:28 PM
At least Walker can generate events with deflections, steals and blocks and generally be entertaining to watch sometimes

The other 2 just stand there

Uriel
08-08-2021, 12:32 PM
Brian Wright is the king of stockpiling second rounders.

Russ
08-08-2021, 12:32 PM

250) Bryn Forbes
246) Anfernee Simons
245) Luke Kennard
244) Doug McDermott
243) D'Angelo Russell
242) Lou Williams
233) De'Aaron Fox
232) Gary Trent Jr.

In all fairness, DeRozan and McDermott were never on the same team. (And in even more fairness, as I reread, you didn't say that.)

(But I get your general point though, I wouldn't want any of those bums on that list.)

Seventyniner
08-08-2021, 12:35 PM

3 of the worst 6, actually. Another reason why the Forbes signing is so infuriating. McDermott's place on that list gives me bad memories of Belinelli on defense.

DPG21920
08-08-2021, 12:44 PM
If he had MLE teams going after him, I'm guessing it's fully guaranteed. Maybe $2-4M unguaranteed in the final season but I'd be surprised because it makes sense that the Spurs would have to overpay to stop him from going to a contender with a more defined role.

We will see. You’re probably right but I certainly hope Sa was smarter than overpaying for someone like that. I’m hoping that Doug knew he wasn’t getting anything better and like signing a higher dollar 2 year deal vs 3 year mle. 14M x 2 > 9M x 3 for him I’m hoping.

Collins has to be mostly team option or non guaranteed for it to not look bad.

rankingtear
08-08-2021, 12:45 PM
At least Walker can generate events with deflections, steals and blocks and generally be entertaining to watch sometimes

The other 2 just stand there

Yeah Lonnie can dunk.

timvp
08-08-2021, 12:50 PM
3 of the worst 6, actually.

Oops. Bigger oof. :lol :cry

timvp
08-08-2021, 12:54 PM
Yeah Lonnie can dunk.

McDermott had twice as many dunks as Walker last year, to be fair.

Then again, I'm not sure if that's a plus for McDermott or just a minus for Walker, tbh.

objective
08-08-2021, 01:22 PM
Walker dunks could bring the oohs and aahs, though

Anyway, various pacers podcasts had a stat I don't fully remember, something like the most number of assists between 2 players in the NBA last year was actually Sabonis to McDermott. Not just the pacers team, but the entire NBA. I don't recall exactly how it made sense, but there you go.

Lots of Sabonis with the ball in the high post and McDermott movement I suppose.

Don't know who's doing that on the Spurs. Maybe Young who did pile on assists in Chicago.

rankingtear
08-08-2021, 01:38 PM

What is the alternative , Duncan Robinson for 22 mil?

Atl Spur
08-08-2021, 01:44 PM
Elite shooters + defending = all star . Let’s be happy we got one of the skill sets.

Chomag
08-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Yeah we gonna get torched from all sides from just about every NBA team. So how many scrubs are going to have career games against us this year?

Atl Spur
08-08-2021, 01:51 PM
Yeah we gonna get torched from all sides from just about every NBA team. So how many scrubs are going to have career games against us this year?

Hopefully our defenders defend and shooters shoot! We don’t have a clear view of what we have yet do we??

rankingtear
08-08-2021, 01:51 PM

That or 48 minutes of zone.

RC_Drunkford
08-08-2021, 01:54 PM
Howzabout the Forbes/McDermott/Walker lineup?

they gon definitely play together. Walker/Forbes should be our bench backcourt

Mr. Body
08-08-2021, 01:55 PM

234) Alesej Pokusevski
230) Tyrese Haliburton

Lonnie in great company at 247 and two SpursTalk favorites down there in the pit as well.

JeffDuncan
08-08-2021, 01:59 PM
Poor defenders show up in the stats because they get targeted by the other team. What you do is, put Forbes, Lonnie and McDermott on the floor all at the same time, and watch the other team run out the shot clock while they try to figure out which one to target, since they all look so bad.

rankingtear
08-08-2021, 02:00 PM

250) Bryn Forbes
246) Anfernee Simons
245) Luke Kennard
244) Doug McDermott
243) D'Angelo Russell
242) Lou Williams
233) De'Aaron Fox
232) Gary Trent Jr.

A lot of dollars on that list. 200-230 are allstars. Offense still king.

TD 21
08-08-2021, 04:11 PM

It's not that bad. He can compliment the youth offensively, but obviously won't prevent them from being bottom feeders, which is what they need to do to finally get a high pick(s).

I'm not saying this off season has been job well done, but I don't get the hysteria either. 1) People should have expected something along these lines and 2) They're not hamstrung, haven't prevented opportunity for youth or kept them on the treadmill and have added picks, with likely more to come when they trade Young.

spurraider21
08-08-2021, 04:29 PM
McDermott had twice as many dunks as Walker last year, to be fair.

Then again, I'm not sure if that's a plus for McDermott or just a minus for Walker, tbh.
but how many times did lonnie take off with seemingly bad intentions, only to contort his body any which way to avoid even slightest contact on his way to missing an awkward layup attempt?

Mr. Body
08-08-2021, 04:45 PM
It's not that bad. He can compliment the youth offensively, but obviously won't prevent them from being bottom feeders, which is what they need to do to finally get a high pick(s).

I'm not saying this off season has been job well done, but I don't get the hysteria either. 1) People should have expected something along these lines and 2) They're not hamstrung, haven't prevented opportunity for youth or kept them on the treadmill and have added picks, with likely more to come when they trade Young.

This is the right take. The blobs around here fell in love with John Collins, who would have destroyed the cap and probably team chemistry, and Markkanen, while they shed the veterans who needed to leave anyway, set up shooters to spread the floor and give the young guards and wings develop further, and took on no salary that would strangle decisions going forward. They did a good job.

tonight...you
08-08-2021, 04:51 PM
This is the right take. The blobs around here fell in love with John Collins, who would have destroyed the cap and probably team chemistry, and Markkanen, while they shed the veterans who needed to leave anyway, set up shooters to spread the floor and give the young guards and wings develop further, and took on no salary that would strangle decisions going forward. They did a good job.
Agreed. A path forward for developing the youth while maintaining flexibility.
Those other moves were quintessential treadmill moves to nowhere.

Mr. Body
08-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Agreed. A path forward for developing the youth while maintaining flexibility.
Those other moves were quintessential treadmill moves to nowhere.

Maybe worse than treadmill, really. Signing Collins to huge money would likely mean having to get rid of good young guard talent down the line. I can't imagine spending 30 million a year or whatever for that guy.

I mean, the geniuses on this board were in love with getting Tobias Harris for ungodly money a few years ago and now Philly is desperate to get rid of him.

tonight...you
08-08-2021, 05:45 PM
Maybe worse than treadmill, really. Signing Collins to huge money would likely mean having to get rid of good young guard talent down the line. I can't imagine spending 30 million a year or whatever for that guy.

I mean, the geniuses on this board were in love with getting Tobias Harris for ungodly money a few years ago and now Philly is desperate to get rid of him.
There is so much "guard talent" on this team that someone is going to have to go at some point anyways, but I agree with you.
I wasn't for signing John Collins as, to me, it would lead to a lesser 90's Spurs era where they would win some 40 games and not even flame out in the playoffs. They'd just get unceremoniously kicked to the curb.
At least DRob would get us some 55 wins and a hope along with an entertaining season, but then Run TMC, or Utah would shove them aside.
JCollins would give 10-15 less wins and no hope and then a proper spanking for the next 4-5 years with less to work with moving forward.

The grousers on this site would be having a field day though! T'would make this place more active and aggravating at the same time while they were the ones that were wrong from the beginning, lol.

Russ
08-08-2021, 06:32 PM
That or 48 minutes of zone.

Zone? :wow

Pop's a good coach -- he coaches to his roster.

A few here will figure that out (eventually).

tbdog
08-08-2021, 06:50 PM
McDermott will start. It makes sense, unless Luka is ready now. Splitting up McDermott and Forbes makes sense also. Gives a good shooter on the floor the majority of the time. With Walker as well and if the big Oz, the team has shooters. But they still lack a player that can create his own 3, which is the most important shot in the game currently. This team is far more balanced. I hope spurs can move Young and Aminu, possibly Poeltl to up grade that center position. Would love to get Sabonis. We got the picks and the contracts.

tonight...you
08-08-2021, 06:52 PM
Zone? :wow

Pop's a good coach -- he coaches to his roster.

A few here will figure that out (eventually).
To be fair:
He coaches to his roster while trying to make some of his players expand their role to the point of them not being comfortable and not caring about that, for what he thinks is the betterment to the team.

Look up LMA his first year here.

cd98
08-08-2021, 07:55 PM
I was not a big fan of this move, but then I did think that the Spurs need three point shooters to create strength and if they don't have reliable shooting, won't that reduce the growth that the young slashers can have? You can always replace McDermott down the road with another shooter, but I think for the young guys to make the jump in the midrange shots and at the rim, there needs to be some shooters, even if right now they aren't on the same timeline as our young players.

Russ
08-08-2021, 07:58 PM
I was not a big fan of this move, but then I did think that the Spurs need three point shooters to create strength and if they don't have reliable shooting, won't that reduce the growth that the young slashers can have? You can always replace McDermott down the road with another shooter, but I think for the young guys to make the jump in the midrange shots and at the rim, there needs to be some shooters, even if right now they aren't on the same timeline as our young players.

Bingo (although you may not be the first to get that, kudos).

daslicer
08-08-2021, 08:54 PM

I just figure he will help the Spurs tank unintentionally especially if Pop plays him at PF.

cd98
08-08-2021, 09:13 PM
I meant to say "space" not strength. McDermott will help create space, which will help slashers like DJM, Walker (hopefully), KJ, and Vassell get space and learn how to work with that space. Shooters that can't play defense? Those guys are easier to find and in 3 years, McDermott can be replaced by a younger one, assuming players like Primo and our other young guys don't develop into top level NBA shooters.

Chinook
08-08-2021, 09:40 PM
There is so much "guard talent" on this team that someone is going to have to go at some point anyways, but I agree with you.
I wasn't for signing John Collins as, to me, it would lead to a lesser 90's Spurs era where they would win some 40 games and not even flame out in the playoffs. They'd just get unceremoniously kicked to the curb.
At least DRob would get us some 55 wins and a hope along with an entertaining season, but then Run TMC, or Utah would shove them aside.
JCollins would give 10-15 less wins and no hope and then a proper spanking for the next 4-5 years with less to work with moving forward.

The grousers on this site would be having a field day though! T'would make this place more active and aggravating at the same time while they were the ones that were wrong from the beginning, lol.

See, I don't get this. This is a clear example of how a middling team can still be a path to a contender. Duncan is obviously a GOAT candidate who had MVP votes as a rookie, but he came into the league with a championship-level supporting cast due to a confluence of circumstances. The 1999 title almost certainly doesn't happen if the Spurs are a team bereft of talent in 1997. Of course, the chances that any team can repeat the Spurs' luck in 97 are low. But you don't have to do that in today's NBA because you don't have to draft a star to get one. So if anyone is following the spirit of the old Spurs' strategy, it would be building up the role-players an experience on the team while remaining flexible so you can jump on the chance to nab a star when the chance arises. And if you find yourself out of the playoffs with an injured roster and can improve your draft position by keeping those guys out and dropping a few games, that works too.

Is Collins David Robinson? No, not even the hurt version. But he's probably Sean Elliott, and White is better than Avery and so on.

Mr. Body
08-08-2021, 09:42 PM
See, I don't get this. This is a clear example of how a middling team can still be a path to a contender. Duncan is obviously a GOAT candidate who had MVP votes as a rookie, but he came into the league with a championship-level supporting cast due to a confluence of circumstances. The 1999 title almost certainly doesn't happen if the Spurs are a team bereft of talent in 1997. Of course, the chances that any team can repeat the Spurs' luck in 97 are low. But you don't have to do that in today's NBA because you don't have to draft a star to get one. So if anyone is following the spirit of the old Spurs' strategy, it would be building up the role-players an experience on the team while remaining flexible so you can jump on the chance to nab a star when the chance arises. And if you find yourself out of the playoffs with an injured roster and can improve your draft position by keeping those guys out and dropping a few games, that works too.

Is Collins David Robinson? No, not even the hurt version. But he's probably Sean Elliott, and White is better than Avery and so on.

Jesus Christ why are people obsessed with an expensive 'star' in John Collins?

R. DeMurre
08-08-2021, 09:49 PM
What is the alternative , Duncan Robinson for 22 mil?

Furkan Korkmaz, who signed for 3 years/15mil. Younger, still improving, & fits the timeline better. Not quite the offensive player McDermott is right now, but also not the extreme defensive liability, and almost 1/3rd the salary.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=korkmfu01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=mcderdo01&p2yrfrom=2021

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
08-08-2021, 10:01 PM
TANKing with integrity and outstanding character, the Spurs way.

tonight...you
08-08-2021, 10:47 PM

You toot that horn bro.
Toot away.

Chinook
08-08-2021, 11:13 PM
Jesus Christ why are people obsessed with an expensive 'star' in John Collins?

We're past Collins as an actual player at this point. Those arguments are moot. I was commenting on the philosophy of building a team. I don't think the pre-Duncan Spurs were a bad jumping off the point, and the suggestion that we should want the team to bypass signings that put them in that same situation is weird to me. Imagine a team good enough to win 40 games while still having readily made cap space and tradeable assets. In my opinion that sounds great, way better than tanking and significantly more likely to work as well.

Mr. Body
08-09-2021, 12:24 AM
We're past Collins as an actual player at this point. Those arguments are moot. I was commenting on the philosophy of building a team. I don't think the pre-Duncan Spurs were a bad jumping off the point, and the suggestion that we should want the team to bypass signings that put them in that same situation is weird to me. Imagine a team good enough to win 40 games while still having readily made cap space and tradeable assets. In my opinion that sounds great, way better than tanking and significantly more likely to work as well.

There were no good FAs available this year at a high price point.

DPG21920
08-09-2021, 12:25 AM

The problem is we had that and the FO did nothing. We had people making up reasons why the vets shouldn’t be traded and how it’s about culture etc.

That plan only works if the front office is capable of making moves to jump forward and this FO has not shown the ability to do so. So getting a top pick for this team is the best way and I wanted Collins badly. But they couldn’t make it happen this time.