PDA

View Full Version : Luka Samanic is gone (Update: Yeah, he gone)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 04:05 AM
Unfollowed the Spurs on both his social media accounts (Twitter and IG).

Yeah, it could be similar to Murray’s antics (he’s actually grown up in that area), but given the circumstances and the fact that he’s never done this despite harsh criticism, I don’t think so.

The play where he gave up on defending the fast break was the final nail in the coffin.

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 04:29 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread, KBD fills the backup 3.5 quite nicely and surprisingly, Landale can play a little bit of the 4. Jock is sort of how I envisioned Luka to be on offense: spot up 3’s, passing, post ups. No, he’s not as good at defending the perimeter, Luka was special in that regard. But Landale is strong, doesn’t flail around, and actually has his head screwed on straight.

Maybe someday the Spurs will have a promising prospect at the 4 who is tall, can shoot the 3, and isn’t a recluse.

Em-City
10-11-2021, 04:54 AM
good news, dare I say. we'll have plenty of "take a flier" young talent to assess over the next 3 seasons, we don't need to settle for a guy like luka who just didn't have the fire in his belly.

Rocalcio
10-11-2021, 06:06 AM
That’s a bit early to say, only focusing on social networks…

EasyMoney
10-11-2021, 06:13 AM
I saw the clip of him giving up on that fast break. That's unacceptable.

KingKev
10-11-2021, 06:34 AM
Looking like him and Aminu are out. My view in how we should start the season given what we have seen thus far in the preseason:

Murray/White/Tre
Walker/Forbes/Primo
McD/Vassell
Keldon/Thad/KBD
Poetl/Eubanks/Jok/Colins

Uriel
10-11-2021, 07:19 AM
Would be disappointing if true… and also a big mistake, in my opinion. Someone will pick him up and we’ll regret the day we gave up on him.

raybies
10-11-2021, 07:30 AM
Yep, seemed obvious to me. He's not a rotation player at all, and it's been three years. He's just so raw.

Holistically speaking where the team is at right now, they can not afford to have a project of his magnitude, nor have the time to invest which he sorely needs. If true, wish him luck.

It was a gamble because of all the flags he showed prior but all things considered he's not a professional. He just gets by on elite genes.

Fireball
10-11-2021, 07:35 AM

thought the same thing when I just saw it ...

Trill Clinton
10-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Good. Dude is a bust and wasted our resources for 2 years.

paperboy77
10-11-2021, 07:51 AM

That happens quite a bit and it makes sense sometimes. However, if you are a scrub on a team and trying to make it you better at least try. That's what I never understood about this guy and others in his situation. They come out in trash time acting like they are too cool for school when they should be trying to be Ginobili hustling.

jermaine
10-11-2021, 07:58 AM
I seen him come in an I was like wtf Pop.. He should've been in the game. Then shortly after, that fastbreak happened. I was like Oh naaaw... He gotta go!! No effort at all.

D-Robinson 50 fan
10-11-2021, 08:00 AM
I haven’t had a chance to watch any of the preseason games but, reading about how Luka has played when given minutes of multiple sites has disappointed me.

only one person (Rob Trejo Jr on Spurstube TV) out of the various San Antonio Spurs pundits I’ve read or seen said he played bad in the 1st quarter against Miami. Rob is far from objective on Samanic so I took his praise with a huge grain of salt. Lmao. It seems, when reading about Luka’s play that the same things that he was said to have issues with when getting drafted are still the same stuff that plagues him. SMH.

In the G-League last season he played hard and always gave maximum effort but it seems on the big squad he doesn’t always do this. I’ve also read (and even Rob stated) on multiple occasions Samanic would be in the wrong locations when set plays were run. Rob Trejo Jr. even pointed out a time in the Miami game where Pop was visibly upset that Luka screwed up a set play. SMH.

I was hoping that the guy would succeed and maybe the information the thread starter posted is incorrect or some tech issue but I stated (as well as a few others) that Samanic best chance of making this roster and sticking in the NBA getting consistent minutes was playing defense (which he got better at) and hitting the 3 at a good percentage on a decent amount. His shooting never manifested (and never was the greatest according to statistics here and abroad) like many thought it would.

Manu&Duncan fan
10-11-2021, 08:00 AM
Luka will not be cut.

jermaine
10-11-2021, 08:02 AM
Luka will not be cut.

Bates-Diop makes him look even worse.

Atl Spur
10-11-2021, 08:09 AM
He is a quitter.....

dokdok
10-11-2021, 08:17 AM
Truly disappointing if true but at least he was a bust at #19. Can’t imagine the meltdown if someone we drafted say in the top 5 picks was a bust for us.

timtonymanu
10-11-2021, 08:18 AM
It's okay, he's still 3 years away from developing.

tmtcsc
10-11-2021, 08:19 AM
Would be disappointing if true… and also a big mistake, in my opinion. Someone will pick him up and we’ll regret the day we gave up on him.

Not a chance, he doesn't compete.

Rocalcio
10-11-2021, 08:21 AM
Luka will not be cut.

It will be fun to dig out this thread by the end of the season when Samanic will still be in the roster.

Spursfanfromafar
10-11-2021, 08:29 AM
His development has been disappointing, but he has shown enough flashes of being a decent player in the making. Sad that the Spurs haven't played him enough by giving him playing time.

mo7888
10-11-2021, 08:33 AM
It's not surprising but it is disappointing...the guy's got loads of talent but the heart and the head don't seem to be there...

BackHome
10-11-2021, 08:58 AM
Yep, seemed obvious to me. He's not a rotation player at all, and it's been three years. He's just so raw.

Holistically speaking where the team is at right now, they can not afford to have a project of his magnitude, nor have the time to invest which he sorely needs. If true, wish him luck.

It was a gamble because of all the flags he showed prior but all things considered he's not a professional. He just gets by on elite genes.

Are we talking about Luka or Walker?

raybies
10-11-2021, 09:01 AM
Are we talking about Luka or Walker?
Luka :)

SpurSpike
10-11-2021, 09:03 AM
Didn't get to watch this one, anyone got a clip of that fast break that ya'll are talking about?

cd98
10-11-2021, 09:12 AM
Give Luka a break. He was always know as a player with good physical tools, but it was always a risk of whether he could put it together to be a good player on an NBA level. Jury is still out as he's only 21 years old. It may not be with the Spurs, but he has a chance. I think he needs more competitive fire and anger. That would suit him well. Sometimes I think players with skill rely too heavily on that. To be top level in the NBA, you have to have a drive that goes beyond athletics and skill. Can you develop that? I think, but it takes getting to that place of irrational confidence. He plays like he's not confident.

Dex
10-11-2021, 09:20 AM
Didn't get to watch this one, anyone got a clip of that fast break that ya'll are talking about?

Best I can do, sorry for no audio: https://streamable.com/e5gb8l

exstatic
10-11-2021, 09:24 AM
I doubt he departs this year. The event coming up at the end of the month isn’t the option for this season, season three. That was already picked up last fall. It’s the option for season four, next year.

That being said, I can totally see the Spurs passing it up, or flipping him before that deadline so another team has to make that decision. I DGAF that he was picked at 19. At this point, I’d take a late first or and early second, and be done with his lazy ass.

He’s got all of the talent in the world, just doesn’t seem to GAF. The shoulder of the NBA highway is littered with guys like him.

rjv
10-11-2021, 09:36 AM
luka has an intriguing skill set but we aren't privy to any behind the scenes info so i can only assume that he was not in a good spot with the coaches. maybe he acted entitled or pouted, etc., and although social network is not what we can base luka's future on, his lack of minutes in the preseason seem to strongly suggest that he is likely on the way out-perhaps now or perhaps in the near future.

Dex
10-11-2021, 09:39 AM
At this point, I think Young, Aminu, Samanic, and maybe KBD are all on their way out in some form or fashion. The question becomes which - if any - gives you the best trade value, and unfortunately we have to waive two of them before the regular season starts unless we find a trade really really fast.

Given the consistent minutes Eubanks has been given, I'm pretty sure he has earned a spot on the team and in the rotation.

John B
10-11-2021, 09:43 AM
It would be a shame to lose him with all his skill set, and see him get picked up by another team. I really think Pop doesn’t like him a lot, something he did, entitled whatever. But give the guy a break. It’s not lije he’s been seeing minutes. I’d be frustrated too. Not everybody’s cutted to Pop’s expectations. If Pop wants to move him, then showcase him. The guy can really have value at his size and skillsets, and given the minutes.

mo7888
10-11-2021, 09:53 AM

Goodness...that was worse than I imagined for a guy that's probably fighting for his spot..

SpurSpike
10-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Thanks!

Its strange to see someone who should be clawing for a spot on the roster seem so disengaged. Luka has never really looked happy here, maybe he does need a change of scenery.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 10:05 AM
I doubt he departs this year. The event coming up at the end of the month isn’t the option for this season, season three. That was already picked up last fall. It’s the option for season four, next year.

That being said, I can totally see the Spurs passing it up, or flipping him before that deadline so another team has to make that decision. I DGAF that he was picked at 19. At this point, I’d take a late first or and early second, and be done with his lazy ass.

He’s got all of the talent in the world, just doesn’t seem to GAF. The shoulder of the NBA highway is littered with guys like him.

You're not getting a first or an early second for that pos. I mean he is a lazy motherfucker, but I have never seen this so called talent of his. Looks like shit every time I watch him play.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 10:08 AM
Goodness...that was worse than I imagined for a guy that's probably fighting for his spot..

Here it is with sound, around the 9:00 mark. How about Alfredrik Hughes 2.0 not coming to offer help at the rim on the next clip shown after that though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2AmbIypVMk

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 10:15 AM
It would be a shame to lose him with all his skill set, and see him get picked up by another team. I really think Pop doesn’t like him a lot, something he did, entitled whatever. But give the guy a break. It’s not lije he’s been seeing minutes. I’d be frustrated too. Not everybody’s cutted to Pop’s expectations. If Pop wants to move him, then showcase him. The guy can really have value at his size and skillsets, and given the minutes.

If he can't earn minutes in even the preseason then fuck him.

Mr. Body
10-11-2021, 10:16 AM
Here it is with sound, around the 9:00 mark. How about Alfredrik Hughes 2.0 not coming to offer help at the rim on the next clip shown after that though?

Yeah, and the fast break give-up was worse than I remembered. Good grief. He's a no-effort slouch. He's not competitive on the boards -- he was terrible against Miami, I think it was -- and his help defense is lousy. Just let him go.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 10:19 AM
Yeah, and the fast break give-up was worse than I remembered. Good grief. He's a no-effort slouch. He's not competitive on the boards -- he was terrible against Miami, I think it was -- and his help defense is lousy. Just let him go.

At least Primo is going to work out. I'm glad to be wrong about him.

NASpurs
10-11-2021, 10:20 AM
:lol @ RC stalking this guy around Europe inebriated

Probably heard there was a really good Luka and got confused

Dex
10-11-2021, 10:29 AM

Yeah, that second one is almost just as bad. Loses sight of the ball, then just stands there to watch the cut right to the basket and dunk. Low awareness and zero effort.

Even KBD was giving him shit for not rotating, so that says something there.

exstatic
10-11-2021, 10:31 AM
I think the Spurs we’re hoping it was an immaturity thing, but it seems to be who he is.

spurraider21
10-11-2021, 10:35 AM
It's okay, he's still 3 years away from developing.
Seriously. Can’t believe people are bailing on him. We knew along he was a 6 year project

Mr. Body
10-11-2021, 10:40 AM
I think the Spurs we’re hoping it was an immaturity thing, but it seems to be who he is.

Yeah. Wanted him to get out of his sense of entitlement and poutiness. But he's just a twat. I wouldnt be surprised if he's a sink on team chemistry overall.

jermaine
10-11-2021, 10:41 AM
I don't think he contested anything the whole while he was in the game.

Dex
10-11-2021, 10:42 AM
I don't think he contested anything the whole while he was in the game.

He played good defense on the final play which led to a turnover and prevented Orlando from getting a game-winning attempt.

But yeah...that was about the extent of it.

J_Paco
10-11-2021, 11:02 AM

He might just be a Ian Mahinmi - type & needs a new situation (with more "freedom" and opportunity) to really take off?

Or he's a miss and will end up back in Europe by next year.

I would hold off using social media as a barometer on who the Spurs will keep or let go, though.

Sugus
10-11-2021, 11:11 AM
Damn, I'm gone for two days and the house burns down... Luka gone? We're going off just on social media and preseason games to determine that? Interesting...

Dex
10-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Damn, I'm gone for two days and the house burns down... Luka gone? We're going off just on social media and preseason games to determine that? Interesting...

At this point, I think the writing on the wall is that Aminu is out.

Which leaves KBD and Luka...and frankly, KBD has looked better in the preseason. So if this was a true "competition" for a spot, he wins.

The ONLY reason for the Spurs to keep Luka is based on the fact that he is the younger player and supposedly has all this "potential" that we have been hearing about for the past two years...but I just don't see it.

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 11:17 AM

Place your bets!!!

KingKev
10-11-2021, 11:19 AM
At this point, I think the writing on the wall is that Aminu is out.

Which leaves KBD and Luka...and frankly, KBD has looked better in the preseason. So if this was a true "competition" for a spot, he wins.

The ONLY reason for the Spurs to keep Luka is based on the fact that he is the younger player and supposedly has all this "potential" that we have been hearing about for the past two years...but I just don't see it.

or if we move a players via trade we won’t need to waive him

Cabrito
10-11-2021, 11:20 AM
Teams have moved on for players that have show more. For example, the crappy Kings let Harry Giles go, not picking up his fourth year option after he showed decent progress. He is still only 23 and now a fringe NBA player. Luka will likely be out of the league if the Spurs release him. I would like to give him this year, although I don’t blame them if they want to move on.

Spurs Homer
10-11-2021, 11:32 AM

co-signed

exstatic
10-11-2021, 11:34 AM
Teams have moved on for players that have show more. For example, the crappy Kings let Harry Giles go, not picking up his fourth year option after he showed decent progress. He is still only 23 and now a fringe NBA player. Luka will likely be out of the league if the Spurs release him. I would like to give him this year, although I don’t blame them if they want to move on.

He’s getting paid for this year, since that option was picked up last fall. They may be willing to eat that if they really see no path forward with him, though. He makes a lot less than Aminu, just a shade under $3M for this coming season, and they will likely jettison Aminu’s TOSB ass.

If they pick up the option, they’re committing to paying him about $7.5M over the coming two seasons. They can walk away from him for $3M.

John B
10-11-2021, 11:55 AM
Yeah, that second one is almost just as bad. Loses sight of the ball, then just stands there to watch the cut right to the basket and dunk. Low awareness and zero effort.

Even KBD was giving him shit for not rotating, so that says something there.

It could be frustration playing garbage minutes. I’m not saying it’s okay but getting shit like that and feeling not being given a chance to prove himself. I’m not saying he’s right, but somebody needs to get through to him, Manu, whoever. Pop could be too harsh sometimes. Not everybody’s cut like Tony who can just take it.

Dex
10-11-2021, 11:57 AM
It could be frustration playing garbage minutes. I’m not saying it’s okay but getting shit like that and feeling not being given a chance to prove himself. I’m not saying he’s right, but somebody needs to get through to him, Manu, whoever. Pop could be too harsh sometimes. Not everybody’s cut like Tony who can just take it.

It wasn't really "garbage minutes" though.

Yes, he only got 4 minutes at the end of a preseason game and probably wanted more...but the game was still being contested at that point. Both teams were still trying to win.

It would be one thing if they were up or down by like 20. But as someone who has played in plenty of sports and games that are completely meaningless outside of the people playing them, competitive instinct should kick in at some point.

If it's a case of him coming in and pouting because he didn't get more minutes, that's been exactly the problem with him since he was drafted. I know Pop's not the easiest coach in the world, but at a certain point you gotta man the fuck up and try to prove him wrong.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 12:03 PM

If he can't earn preseason minutes then fuck him. He's not due minutes he won't work for.

GAustex
10-11-2021, 12:08 PM
Back in the day we would say “Something ain’t right with that boy”
I wonder if he just don’t like Pop

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 12:11 PM
I’ve seen Luka give lackluster effort before. Last night was next level display of no effort. It was pretty much disrespectful to the game.

How did we ever reach this point?

Did Luka forget to flush the toilet and left the toilet bowl with horse-sized shit? Did Pop walk in and was met with a shitty surprise?

Mr. Body
10-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Back in the day we would say “Something ain’t right with that boy”
I wonder if he just don’t like Pop

I mean, apparently he's a reactionary right-winger, so I wouldn't be surprised if his attitude is a problem.

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 12:21 PM
I mean, apparently he's a reactionary right-winger, so I wouldn't be surprised if his attitude is a problem.

You can kind of get a sense of what Luka’s character is like when you find out that he follows Jake fucking Paul.

Dverde
10-11-2021, 12:27 PM
It’s Pop’s team, not RC’s. I also think he is gone. He might be a star if he goes overseas, it’s not working out here.

Degoat
10-11-2021, 12:43 PM
I do think Luka is as good as gone, hated the pick from day one lol but it is possible he unfollowed the spurs just because there were comments about him sucking that could have been affecting his well being tbh

LaMarcus Bryant
10-11-2021, 12:47 PM
who'd have thought wasting a lottery pick on a raw skinny white pf euro was a bad idea

KingKev
10-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Maybe he didn’t unfollow, rather Spurs twitter and insta blocked him to show him how to at least try and block someone?

John B
10-11-2021, 01:14 PM
I do think Luka is as good as gone, hated the pick from day one lol but it is possible he unfollowed the spurs just because there were comments about him sucking that could have been affecting his well being tbh

Yup this could be a good reason. Sometimes the media/fans could be too harsh and just needs to get off any distractions and get re-focus

lmbebo
10-11-2021, 01:20 PM
Maybe he didn’t unfollow, rather Spurs twitter and insta blocked him to show him how to at least try and block someone?

Spurs still follow him on IG

KingKev
10-11-2021, 01:26 PM
Spurs still follow him on IG

haha I was joking. I find the whole who follows who thing a little overdone.

R. DeMurre
10-11-2021, 01:45 PM
haha I was joking. I find the whole who follows who thing a little overdone.

The whole looking for clues in social media posts thing is vastly overdone. Of course most people aren't going to give honest objective assessments of their teammates' shortcomings in a public forum... not if they don't want to make waves and cause all kinds of problems. It's 95% just a place for cheerleading.

rjv
10-11-2021, 02:05 PM
who'd have thought wasting a lottery pick on a raw skinny white pf euro was a bad idea

technically, it wasn't a lottery pick but i get the gist.

mo7888
10-11-2021, 02:10 PM

:toast

ginobilized
10-11-2021, 02:19 PM
Beno 2.0 or maybe Nando 2.0?
Seems there's always some Euro white guy that gets in Pop's doghouse.

I hope Luka gets it together and plays some meaningful basketball somewhere.

ragas
10-11-2021, 02:20 PM
Yup this could be a good reason. Sometimes the media/fans could be too harsh and just needs to get off any distractions and get re-focus

make the first step!
you’re bitching on Poeltl since he was traded to SA, calling him lazy and so on. or do have special rules for some players?

Samanic has all talent, but not the mentality to have a place in the NBA. Neither MJ, nor Kobe nor Lebron would be the players the are/were without their work ethic. Sam doesn’t get that. First I also believed that it takes longer for him to acclimate, but the more I see the more I think he goes the Bender route.

ragas
10-11-2021, 02:34 PM
Spurs have waived him.

https://twitter.com/n_magaro/status/1447646832423849988?s=12

Trill Clinton
10-11-2021, 02:35 PM
Thank you PATFO for finally seeing the light

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 02:40 PM
Lol

ragas
10-11-2021, 02:41 PM

maybe he gets his head right for another team… if he gets the chance. I wouldn’t count on it.

LeBowen
10-11-2021, 02:41 PM
Never got a chance, but never really looked like he cares enough to get one.

Probably the worst pick in franchise history.

Luckily we got Keldon with 29th, so there won't be any whataboutism. If we drafted someone else , we probably wouldn't get Keldon at 29.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-11-2021, 02:42 PM
He showed flashes of being really good.

Maybe he'll latch on somewhere and develop.

Trill Clinton
10-11-2021, 02:42 PM
maybe he gets his head right for another team… if he gets the chance. I wouldn’t count on it.

Yea overseas maybe. He's not mentally tough enough for the NBA.

superbigtime
10-11-2021, 02:43 PM

Whoa! that is appalling.

FkLA
10-11-2021, 02:43 PM
Mistake. Completely mishandled.

I'm not saying he was going to be a special player but his defensive versatility alone was enough to give him a chance at some rotation minutes. Not every player has the personality to handle being a whipping boy. Especially when favorites (Brent, Patty, Belli) continue(d) to get regular minutes despite being trash on defense.

RD2191
10-11-2021, 02:45 PM
Damn, nice call OP. :tu

superbigtime
10-11-2021, 02:46 PM
no one will miss him

exstatic
10-11-2021, 02:48 PM

I think his stint in the game last night was the last straw. I saw that kind of shit early on, in Austin, but like the Spurs, was hoping he’d grow up and grow out of it.

Degoat
10-11-2021, 02:48 PM
Dang!!! It’s official lmao he was such a waste of a pick

LaMarcus Bryant
10-11-2021, 02:49 PM

I'm not saying he was going to be a special player but his defensive versatility alone was enough to give him a chance at some rotation minutes. Not every player has the personality to handle being a whipping boy. Especially when favorites (Brent, Patty, Belli) continue(d) to get regular minutes despite being trash on defense.

you cant depend on soft ass stiffs with zero motor

good riddance

rjv
10-11-2021, 02:50 PM
yeah, the luka era is officially over. it'll be interesting to see what team picks him up off the waiver wire.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-11-2021, 02:51 PM
Never got a chance, but never really looked like he cares enough to get one.

Probably the worst pick in franchise history.

Luckily we got Keldon with 29th, so there won't be any whataboutism. If we drafted someone else , we probably wouldn't get Keldon at 29.

Alfrederick Hughes says hello

Floyd Pacquiao
10-11-2021, 02:51 PM

This is true he did have potential defensively. I’ve seen him lock up Julius randle like nothing

LeBowen
10-11-2021, 02:52 PM
Alfrederick Hughes says hello

Well, you certainly deserve that username. :lol

Not everyone responds the same to Pop's doghouse treatment.
Luka never looked like someone with enough competitive spirit in him, but all those scrubs getting minutes would affect anyone.

ragas
10-11-2021, 02:53 PM
This is true he did have potential defensively. I’ve seen him lock up Julius randle like nothing

If everyone with potential would play in the NBA, you would have 50 man rosters. It takes more…

exstatic

If Pop yelled at Tim, sure this Eurotash can handle it. Entitlement without anything at all on his resume. He sucked in Europe, and he sucked here. The breakdown lane of the NBA highway is littered with broken, ended careers of talented fools like this. If he doesn’t “get it” after two years, he never will.

Leetonidas
While I think Pop definitely didn't do him any favors the fact is this guy didn't do shit with the opportunities he was given and consistently looked lost and timid when he got chances. Yeah he showed flashes here and there but hes supposed to be one of the best 500 ball players in the world.

His attitude sucks, his work ethic sucks, and he looks like a pouty bitch consistently. Fuck this guy. If he does move on and blossoms great. But honestly not gonna lose sleep over it, this dude did jack shit with the chances he did get

Trill Clinton
10-11-2021, 02:55 PM

I don't see another nba team picking him up.

rjv
10-11-2021, 02:56 PM
Well, you certainly deserve that username. :lol

he could have gone with "spiked nachos" as his username.

Uriel
10-11-2021, 02:57 PM
I don't understand giving up on Luka over a guy like KBD. We're going to regret this down the line.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-11-2021, 02:58 PM
"well ...... bye"

(but i'd rather shitty luka get 30mpg this year to see if the lightbulb will go on, than have forbes taking up oxygen)

ragas
10-11-2021, 02:59 PM
I don't understand giving up on Luka over a guy like KBD. We're going to regret this down the line.

I guess his attitude hurt the team culture…besides from sucking on court.

exstatic
While I think Pop definitely didn't do him any favors the fact is this guy didn't do shit with the opportunities he was given and consistently looked lost and timid when he got chances. Yeah he showed flashes here and there but hes supposed to be one of the best 500 ball players in the world.

His attitude sucks, his work ethic sucks, and he looks like a pouty bitch consistently. Fuck this guy. If he does move on and blossoms great. But honestly not gonna lose sleep over it, this dude did jack shit with the chances he did get

He may actually play in the NBA sometime in the future. Mahinmi played 618 total games. Neither were just a fit as Spurs. I don’t see him being a star, though. That takes a work ethic he doesn’t possess. Its actually a credit to the front office that even players who don’t make it here go on to play hundreds of NBA games.

poopbox
Not my Luka no :cry

From locking up Julius Randle to this :cry

RC you the CEO of the spurs just make pop sign him again :cry

rjv
10-11-2021, 03:01 PM

he did seem to have an overrated sense of himself. i remember that he told reporters, at his post-draft conference, that the NBA player he thought he compared the most to was KD.

FkLA
10-11-2021, 03:03 PM
If Pop yelled at Tim, sure this Eurotash can handle it. Entitlement without anything at all on his resume. He sucked in Europe, and he sucked here. The breakdown lane of the NBA highway is littered with broken, ended careers of talented fools like this. If he doesn’t “get it” after two years, he never will.

This narrative that Pop treats everyone the same is stupid and not true. How many times did he treat Danny like a whipping boy and dramatically pull him for a defensive mistake? Same with Lonnie. Same with Luka. Yet Brent is consistently one of the worst defenders in the league and all he can do is gush about how "yeah he's overmatched physically, but noone tries harder than my Brent".

It was only a matter of time before it rubbed someone the wrong way. And yeah, obviously Luka isn't the strongest mentally so not surprised it was him. Will probably happen more often now that the team isn't a title contender every year like the glory days. I've said for years, that the favoritism/lack of equal treatment would bother the fuck out of me if I was in someone like Luka's or Lonnie's shoes.

siraulo23
well that pick didnt work out

he finally showed something last season, wished the spurs gave him another season before calling it tbh but it is what it is

exstatic
I think that he had already played his way out of this years roster, and at the tail end part of the roster, you go for effort. To look at him again next year would have cost them another $4.5M. Not worth it.

exstatic
10-11-2021, 03:06 PM
This narrative that Pop treats everyone the same is stupid and not true. How many times did he treat Danny like a whipping boy and dramatically pull him for a defensive mistake? Same with Lonnie. Same with Luka. Yet Brent is consistently one of the worst defenders in the league and all he can do is gush about how "yeah he's overmatched physically, but noone tries harder than my Brent".

It was only a matter of time before it rubbed someone the wrong way. And yeah, obviously Luka isn't the strongest mentally so not surprised it was him. Will probably happen more often now that the team isn't a title contender every year like the glory days. I've said for years, that the favoritism/lack of equal treatment would bother the fuck out of me if I was in someone like Luka's or Lonnie's shoes.

I never said he treats everyone the same. If you’ve watched even a couple of years of the Spurs, you know that’s not true. I said that if Pop can yell at the GOAT PF, this little nothing motherfucker can take it, or he can ride the waiver wire.

FkLA
10-11-2021, 03:07 PM
you cant depend on soft ass stiffs with zero motor

good riddance

Yeah, let's just depend on make-a-wish players like Brent that are limited physically instead. At least they try hard and have the right attitude even if they're outmatched physically!!

rjv
10-11-2021, 03:09 PM
I never said he treats everyone the same. If you’ve watched even a couple of years of the Spurs, you know that’s not true. I said that if Pop can yell at the GOAT PF, this little nothing motherfucker can take it, or he can ride the waiver wire.

and parker still refers to his rookie season as if pop gave him PTSD for life.

Chinook
10-11-2021, 03:09 PM
Luka is two-way eligible. Could see them wanting him back, but he should probably move on, and the team should use that spot on a back-up PG

Ocotillo
10-11-2021, 03:10 PM
Sekou Doumbouya offered a two way now?

exstatic
10-11-2021, 03:10 PM
Luka is two-way eligible. Could see them wanting him back, but he should probably move on, and the team should use that spot on a back-up PG

He doesn’t have a spot. We needed to cut two, and now that problem is half solved.

FkLA
10-11-2021, 03:11 PM

Really doubt it was yelling that broke Luka. It was probably the lack of opportunity, while seeing guys that drag the team down get guaranteed minutes over the years.

And I don't blame him, anyone that says that shit wouldn't bother them is lying.

rankingtear
10-11-2021, 03:11 PM

Well you don't pull a guy in game for having short arms.

FkLA
10-11-2021, 03:14 PM
Well you don't pull a guy in game for having short arms.

You also probably don't start him 200 games in a row and force feed him 30 mpg. But it happened.

exstatic
10-11-2021, 03:15 PM
Really doubt it was yelling that broke Luka. It was probably the lack of opportunity, while seeing guys that drag the team down get guaranteed minutes over the years.

And I don't blame him, anyone that says that shit wouldn't bother them is lying.

He never played hard, never gave effort above minimum, and sometimes no effort at all. That won’t earn you minutes here, or on most teams. He’s been doing shit like last night for two years, both here and Austin.

Chinook
10-11-2021, 03:15 PM
He doesn’t have a spot. We needed to cut two, and now that problem is half solved.

There's still a two-way spot left that doesn't interfere with the rest of the roster plans.

Leetonidas
10-11-2021, 03:16 PM
its official

exstatic
There's still a two-way spot left that doesn't interfere with the rest of the roster plans.

That spot was available while Luka was here, and is still available now. Not his spot.

baseline bum
Good riddance. If he couldn't earn minutes on this weak ass roster he's not an NBA player and best to cut their losses before having to throw more good money at bad for another year. At least Aminu might be useful to keep for trade matching purposes.

KingKev
10-11-2021, 03:17 PM
For the record we aren’t going to hear about him being cut till the absolute deadline. I highly doubt there are any trades in the works but if there are Luka is either involved or gets a roster spot by default so long as the trade is net negative 2 bodies.

duncan2150
10-11-2021, 03:18 PM
https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1447647612346195971

When a draft specialist say that... offcourse he could be wrong but as i said many times a lot of scouts were low on Samanic, particulary in Europe.

I never understood his hype here, he's a weak defender, no effort, no hustle, no motor.. the quality is just his size and the way he can move.

A bad idea from the beginning.

Maybe he will be better by " moving his ass" after this cut.

raybies

It's called effort and focus. He is always locked in, he just has limited tools. And when you have someone who is playing like that with no tools and then have a guy who's wasting it so to speak it can be very frustrating. Danny and Lonnie are in the same category. When Lonnie is locked in like last night he has the ability to reach a ceiling of a star.

Imagine how frustrating it would be everyday to have someone being careless at work and fucking shit up. Try working with ppl like that in construction etc. It's annoying af and pisses everyone off. I have gotten fired for being like that early on a kid in the work place. Danny on the other hand would always respond. He was the type of player that needed someone to light a fire under his ass. Lonnie is just young on the other hand and needs maturity and understand what it means to be a professional ball player.

Just an ignorant hate post on Pop. Try looking at it from his perspective. Bonner, Forbes and players like that he loves cause they are always going to give maximum effort and focus despite their glaring limitations. The leash on the other hand when the team as a whole is getting burned is very debatable. In that regard, he needs to know when to pull the plug.

Trill Clinton
This was written about luka 3 years ago. Ricky's take was on the money:

Samanic is hard to pin down however, as Ricky Scricca expressed in his piece about the international class (https://www.thestepien.com/2018/11/11/catching-2019-eligible-international-class/): “If (Samanic) puts all of those theoretical skills together he could be a pretty dynamic playmaking big, but with some red flags on his mental approach, it takes a major leap of faith to believe it will happen at the NBA level when it still hasn’t fleshed out overseas.”

FkLA
10-11-2021, 03:20 PM
He never played hard, never gave effort above minimum, and sometimes no effort at all. That won’t earn you minutes here, or on most teams. He’s been doing shit like last night for two years, both here and Austin.

False. Is he the fiercest competitor out there? Nah. But he had flashes of really solid effort, especially defensively. And they were only flashes bc that's really all they can be when your opportunities are so limited. You also don't transform your body the way he has without putting in major work behind the scenes.

Dex
10-11-2021, 03:22 PM
https://c.tenor.com/UltRXyVaayQAAAAM/judge-judy-its-over.gif

smaka
10-11-2021, 03:23 PM
I was saying from the beginning that he is a wasted and overrated pick. And I knew the Spurs have an eye on him since I saw RC live on the games I attended because Luka played for my hometown team before joining Spurs. I never got the hype around him, honestly.

Dex
10-11-2021, 03:24 PM
Beno 2.0 or maybe Nando 2.0?
Seems there's always some Euro white guy that gets in Pop's doghouse.

I hope Luka gets it together and plays some meaningful basketball somewhere.

Both Beno and Nando actually showed some promise produced in NBA games that actually mattered, and both went on to have some sort of NBA career before going back overseas.

I don't think is the end of the road for Luka quite yet, but yeah...comparing them to Udrih or DeColo is an insult to those two at this point.

Robz4000
10-11-2021, 03:24 PM
Never saw the reasoning for taking him at 19 tbh. Dude had character red flags and didn't look enthused at all that the Spurs drafted him. Just another bust to add to the collection of poor decisions post 2014.

Chinook
10-11-2021, 03:25 PM
That spot was available while Luka was here, and is still available now. Not his spot.

Yeah, I didn't say this move created the spot. But they could now sign Luka to that spot since he's a free agent who otherwise qualifies for the deal. That could make sense, though I'd personally rather see them sign a guard to the spot.

I don't get what I said that gave you the impression that I didn't know how roster spots worked.

raybies
10-11-2021, 03:25 PM
A couple of us called that shit real early. To me it was obvious. KBD is just a much better player and this team doesn't need to babysitting grown men. We just don't have any reserve for that kind of bottomless pit.

raybies
10-11-2021, 03:26 PM
Dejounte

I think you were the first to call that one in the game thread. GS lol

Chinook
10-11-2021, 03:26 PM
So, the Clarke/Samanic debate is over, right?

Watch Brandon get waived out of nowhere...

exstatic
10-11-2021, 03:27 PM
https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1447647612346195971

When a draft specialist say that... offcourse he could be wrong but as i said many times a lot of scouts were low on Samanic, particulary in Europe.

I never understood his hype here, he's a weak defender, no effort, no hustle, no motor.. the quality is just his size and the way he can move.

A bad idea from the beginning.

Maybe he will be better by " moving his ass" after this cut.

This is what taking a swing and missing looks like. He was on a two year development curve, which meant he needed to be able to play this year, and he clearly wasn’t. A lot of organizations would have picked up his year 4 option, hung onto him this year and next, and then wondered why they couldn’t trade him. Better to cut bait now, and waste no more time or money.

Robz4000
10-11-2021, 03:28 PM

Depressing to think who could've been taken at 19 in place of Luka Sandwich tbh.

Chinook
10-11-2021, 03:30 PM
Depressing to think who could've been taken at 19 in place of Luka Sandwich tbh.

Bazley was the same kind of prospect as Samanic and is playing well for OKC. So even if they wanted to shoot for a young raw PF prospect, there were better options available. It's like 2015, the redux.

TD 21
10-11-2021, 03:32 PM
Damn, nice call OP. :tu

Dejounte (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=51342)

Barring a trade, I wonder if Samanic will have to compete to make the team.

Shams: Bryn Forbes Agrees to Deal with Spurs - Page 28 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297054&page=28&p=10585861#post10585861)

Samanic is more likely to be cut than start. He's a unique, somewhat intriguing player, but this fascination this board has with a player who's got a ways to go to show he's an NBA player, is bizarre.

2021-22 Starting Lineup Opening Night - Page 2 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297292&page=2&p=10588332#post10588332)

As for Doumbouya, perfect example of why I say there's a non zero chance Samanic gets cut. The former was regarded as a better prospect/project, yet the Pistons are already ready to give up on him.

Just because it's known going in that it'll likely be at least 2 years before a player is likely able to contribute, they still have to progress at a certain rate for a team to continue to invest resources in their development.

Official 2021 Free Agency Day Thread (Begins at 5PM CT) - Page 89 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297018&page=89&p=10592778#post10592778)

Spurs9
10-11-2021, 03:33 PM
Time to sign Okafor?

raybies
Shams: Bryn Forbes Agrees to Deal with Spurs - Page 28 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297054&page=28&p=10585861#post10585861)

2021-22 Starting Lineup Opening Night - Page 2 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297292&page=2&p=10588332#post10588332)

Official 2021 Free Agency Day Thread (Begins at 5PM CT) - Page 89 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297018&page=89&p=10592778#post10592778)

Who cares no one likes you...

(Edit: I have to make this edit because I know you won't understand the humor. But it's a joke.)

PhantomDashCam
I wonder whether the decision making process on Luka was still fluid 24 hours ago…

Can’t even remember the last time a Spurs’ pick was waived, little alone 2 years into their rookie contract.

Ocotillo
10-11-2021, 03:34 PM
Dejounte

I don't know, SAGirl has been in here riding the boy hard lately. Props to Dejounte though.

raybies
10-11-2021, 03:35 PM
I don't know, SAGirl has been in here riding the boy hard lately. Props to Dejounte though.

Yeah for sure... I mean in regards that he called the cut first. I'm sure there are tons of ppl saw this coming.

Manu&Duncan fan
10-11-2021, 03:37 PM
Disappointed. But trust Pop.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 03:39 PM
I wonder whether the decision making process on Luka was still fluid 24 hours ago…

Can’t even remember the last time a Spurs’ pick was waived, little alone 2 years into their rookie contract.

Alfredrick the Great got dumped after one season. LOL missing out on Karl Malone by one pick and getting him instead.

FkLA
10-11-2021, 03:41 PM
Just an ignorant hate post on Pop. Try looking at it from his perspective. Bonner, Forbes and players like that he loves cause they are always going to give maximum effort and focus despite their glaring limitations. The leash on the other hand when the team as a whole is getting burned is very debatable. In that regard, he needs to know when to pull the plug.

Also look at it from a player's perspective. At the end of the day, the NBA (and any other job really) is about results. IDC how hard someone like Brent tries, ultimately someone like Luka, even with all the questions about his competitiveness, can contribute more to a team just on physical gifts alone.

I also don't buy that he gave zero effort. Again, you don't make the type of body transformation he made with zero effort. You don't show the type of defensive versatility he showed with zero effort. He's not fiery and seems to have a reserved, complicated personality but that doesn't make him a bum. You don't need to clap your hands and rub the bottom of your shoes every other play to show effort.

TimDunkem
10-11-2021, 03:43 PM
Unfollowed the Spurs on both his social media accounts (Twitter and IG).

Yeah, it could be similar to Murray’s antics (he’s actually grown up in that area), but given the circumstances and the fact that he’s never done this despite harsh criticism, I don’t think so.

The play where he gave up on defending the fast break was the final nail in the coffin.
Told ya' he sucked and had a shitty attitude.

rjv
10-11-2021, 03:46 PM
Alfredrick the Great got dumped after one season. LOL missing out on Karl Malone by one pick and getting him instead.

after malone was gone, bass and fitzsimmons wanted terry porter or joe dumars, but angelo drossos overruled because he didn't want any more guards. of course, if malone gets selected the spurs are never bad enough to get the admiral. if they never get the admiral, he never gets hurt in '96, leading to the fortuitous chain of events that yielded the greatest spur ever.

SAGirl
10-11-2021, 03:47 PM

cd98
10-11-2021, 03:47 PM

It is odd that they cut him without waiting until the end of training camp. I guess they saw enough. He's still young at 21, but having skills means little if you can't put it together. He's had a few moments, but I always felt like I was rooting for him like a father roots for his son, kind of like you look at whatever nominal contribution when they are having a bad game overall so you can feel good about their performance. I guess if I was honest with myself, I would admit that if he was a second round pick or someone from the G-league doing what he was doing, I would have said he should be cut long ago. It's just hard to blow a 19th pick, even though that happens all the time.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 03:48 PM
after malone was gone, bass and fitzsimmons wanted terry porter or joe dumars, but angelo drossos overruled because he didn't want any more guards. of course, if malone gets selected the spurs are never bad enough to get the admiral. if they never get the admiral, he never gets hurt in '96, leading to the fortuitous chain of events that yielded the greatest spur ever.

Just happy that fucking child predator was gone.

BillMc
Luka himself aside, it's annoying to have to sift through a thread trying to figure out if he's actually been cut. Initially, the OP is just speculating, but with six pages you have to find out if there is any actual news.

It wastes our time when people make thread titles that sound like fact when they are just speculative (even if highly likely).

duncan2150
False. Is he the fiercest competitor out there? Nah. But he had flashes of really solid effort, especially defensively. And they were only flashes bc that's really all they can be when your opportunities are so limited. You also don't transform your body the way he has without putting in major work behind the scenes.

"Flashes" that's the problem, he needs to have a good level of effort ( regularly) if he wants to suceed and he did not shows that in two years.

As we said for a lot of prospects you can't teach the motor.

cd98

The swiftness of his waiving has left SAGirl speechless.

tbdog
10-11-2021, 03:49 PM
Pretty stunned that a rebuilding team didn't stick with him.

Texas_Ranger
10-11-2021, 03:50 PM
i have said right after we drafted him that he's a shit pick and an unprofessional piece of shit. Nice to see the faggot didnt change since he left Europe.

Big Empty
10-11-2021, 03:52 PM
Interesting

BillMc
its official

So, finally real news five pages in.

KingKev
For the record we aren’t going to hear about him being cut till the absolute deadline. I highly doubt there are any trades in the works but if there are Luka is either involved or gets a roster spot by default so long as the trade is net negative 2 bodies.

haha he was waived as I typed this. Guess this is why i’ll never be an NBA analyst!!

Chinook
10-11-2021, 03:53 PM
The swiftness of his waiving has left SAGirl speechless.

Despite everyone falling all over themselves shouting "first!", SAG was among the first people speculating about Samanic's release. She did so back on 08/04 when reacting to the Aminu trade.

rjv
10-11-2021, 03:54 PM
haha he was waived as I typed this. Guess this is why i’ll never be an NBA analyst!!

no worries. 99.9999% of us on this forum would suck as analysts.

Uriel
10-11-2021, 03:55 PM

timvp
10-11-2021, 03:58 PM
I'm not surprised, obviously. Samanic went on the chopping block after KBD was given a guaranteed deal. Giving KBD guaranteed money didn't make sense unless the Spurs were willing to cut Samanic or there was an impending trade. There was no trade so, yeah, Samanic had to prove himself worthy in order to make the team.

Samanic was a high ceiling, low floor prospect so this outcome was always a strong possibility. He needed to improve his work ethic, hustle and basketball IQ to become an NBA player ... and there was no proof that he improved any of those facets.

That said, I don't especially love the move. Even though he's still super raw, Samanic has a higher ceiling than someone like KBD. KBD at his best is like a solid 10th man. Samanic probably doesn't have a future in the NBA but his physical tools and youth keep the door open to him eventually figuring it out.

I would have preferred that the Spurs decline his fourth year option but keep him around for one more season to give him a real chance. Hell, even if he continued to be clueless, he would have been an excellent end of the season tank commander :lol

Cutting a halfway intriguing prospect that you've invested two years on before the first season he should have a clear opportunity to play? Eh, not enthused by the decision, IMO.

lmbebo
10-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Disappointed, but not surprised. Like many, had high hopes on him. Physical gifts were there, but not the mental game nor the heart.

BillMc
10-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Thanks to whichever moderator updated the thread title!

Darius Bieber
10-11-2021, 04:01 PM
Yeah, this does not make a lot of sense unless things behind closed doors also happened. It does look like KBD is a better teammate and has more hustle to him, but Samanic has more tools. I guess the poor mental aspects overwhelmed the good and he was let loose.

I think for Samanic to bloom it would require a better championship caliber team, so I can see him blooming if the Nets or Clippers or Lakers came calling.

lefty20
10-11-2021, 04:02 PM
I'm not surprised, obviously. Samanic went on the chopping block after KBD was given a guaranteed deal. Giving KBD guaranteed money didn't make sense unless the Spurs were willing to cut Samanic or there was an impending trade. There was no trade so, yeah, Samanic had to prove himself worthy in order to make the team.

Samanic was a high ceiling, low floor prospect so this outcome was always a strong possibility. He needed to improve his work ethic, hustle and basketball IQ to become an NBA player ... and there was no proof that he improved any of those facets.

That said, I don't especially love the move. Even though he's still super raw, Samanic has a higher ceiling than someone like KBD. KBD at his best is like a solid 10th man. Samanic probably doesn't have a future in the NBA but his physical tools and youth keep the door open to him eventually figuring it out.

I would have preferred that the Spurs decline his fourth year option but keep him around for one more season to give him a real chance. Hell, even if he continued to be clueless, he would have been an excellent end of the season tank commander :lol

Cutting a halfway intriguing prospect that you've invested two years on before the first season he should have a clear opportunity to play? Eh, not enthused by the decision, IMO.

Any chance they did this because he was pulling the same minimum effort bs in practice as well?

itzsoweezee
10-11-2021, 04:05 PM
i have said right after we drafted him that he's a shit pick and an unprofessional piece of shit. Nice to see the faggot didnt change since he left Europe.

I’ve been shitting on him since draft night. Still, the takeaway here is what a major fuckup by the front office — another of many over the past few years

Texas_Ranger
10-11-2021, 04:06 PM
Yeah, this does not make a lot of sense unless things behind closed doors also happened. It does look like KBD is a better teammate and has more hustle to him, but Samanic has more tools. I guess the poor mental aspects overwhelmed the good and he was let loose.

I think for Samanic to bloom it would require a better championship caliber team, so I can see him blooming if the Nets or Clippers or Lakers came calling.

i am 100% Samanic was a problem off the court, just as he was at Olimpija.. He's the kinda guy that thinks is better than everyone else, while in reality he's not.

KingKev
10-11-2021, 04:07 PM
Was never big on Luka but was impressed how much he bulked up. Cutting him was a very Spurs thing todo. I’m sure he will get a second chance elsewhere in the NBA

jeebus
10-11-2021, 04:08 PM
It will be fun to dig out this thread by the end of the season when Samanic will still be in the roster.

spurraider21
10-11-2021, 04:08 PM

:lol drewshow melting down somewhere right now

BackHome
10-11-2021, 04:09 PM
If I am Philly I am trying to pick him up since Simmons wants out

FvckMavs
10-11-2021, 04:11 PM
I wish the Spurs had kept him for this season over signing a handicapped Collins to a 1.5 yrs guaranteed deal. Oh well, he must be very bad in many aspects.

SpurSpike
10-11-2021, 04:15 PM
I was hoping to see him get a real chance this year but it is what it is... maybe he didn't deserve it.

Ocotillo
10-11-2021, 04:15 PM

I don't know what impact this has on it but someone was saying Zollins is bonding with the young Spurs a lot and if I recall, KBD is in a lot of the promotional photos put out by Spurs PR when they were doing community stuff. Sandwich, I don't recall seeing him in any of those promotional photos

Spurs Homer
10-11-2021, 04:16 PM
Like him or hate him - one thing that really sucks is that he NEVER was given a chance

that is what bugs me and i hope i am wrong but some team will pick him up and he will make that team/coach look good if given a chance to play minutes

real minutes.

rjv
10-11-2021, 04:17 PM
in the end, luka was the equivalent to a hyped movie that you want to like, and has a nice cast and interesting story, but as the movie goes on you keep asking yourself "when is this movie going to get any good?"

BackHome
10-11-2021, 04:19 PM
I wonder if Walker is next?

raybies
10-11-2021, 04:21 PM
Despite everyone falling all over themselves shouting "first!", SAG was among the first people speculating about Samanic's release. She did so back on 08/04 when reacting to the Aminu trade.

The "falling over themselves" terminology was based on the fact of timing... a lot of ppl saw the writing on the wall... But Dejounte for example called the immediate end last night and this morning... So no need to be bitter about it. I don't really care about e-rep like most ppl, just calling it like I see it. It's a fun pass time here.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 04:27 PM
Like him or hate him - one thing that really sucks is that he NEVER was given a chance

that is what bugs me and i hope i am wrong but some team will pick him up and he will make that team/coach look good if given a chance to play minutes

real minutes.

Or maybe he never earned minutes. He wasn't owed a spot in the rotation if he was being lazy in practice for example.

SpurSpike
10-11-2021, 04:28 PM
I wonder if Walker is next?

No way, Walker at least tries hard most the time and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I don't think he is a problem in the locker room either and i would even bet it would actually shake the locker room in a negative way if Walker got this treatment.

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 04:30 PM
I was not “calling it” to brag. It was a huge hunch based off amateur detective work and it just so happens to be right.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-11-2021, 04:31 PM
Going to be awkward when he signs somewhere else, makes the regular rotation, and comes back and drops 25 and 10 at AT&T his first trip back.

Chinook
10-11-2021, 04:31 PM
The "falling over themselves" terminology was based on the fact of timing... a lot of ppl saw the writing on the wall... But Dejounte for example called the immediate end last night and this morning... So no need to be bitter about it. I don't really care about e-rep like most ppl, just calling it like I see it. It's a fun pass time here.

Ray, you're Ravens family. I wasn't talking about you.

raybies
10-11-2021, 04:33 PM
Also look at it from a player's perspective. At the end of the day, the NBA (and any other job really) is about results. IDC how hard someone like Brent tries, ultimately someone like Luka, even with all the questions about his competitiveness, can contribute more to a team just on physical gifts alone.

I also don't buy that he gave zero effort. Again, you don't make the type of body transformation he made with zero effort. You don't show the type of defensive versatility he showed with zero effort. He's not fiery and seems to have a reserved, complicated personality but that doesn't make him a bum. You don't need to clap your hands and rub the bottom of your shoes every other play to show effort.

Are you referring to Luka? You must be out of touch with his play as of late. Seems a few ppl are. I mean LJ gave him a B for some reason. The guy has no heart or iq. He only gets by on genes. The flags have been there since Europe. He literally never showed anything but promise. You and some others are in love with an idea, or what he can become. But he has never even showed that. Outside the box it's easy to see where he slots in. In that regard it is very tantalizing. But he was just a pick based on tools and you hoped you could "save" him. Kid needs to hit rock bottom to get his head/heart straight.

He has never put it together. Not at any point professionally ever. No need to rag Pop cause he had to babysit this kid for years. He gave him shots and he didn't do shit with it. The "Breakaway" was it. He ain't a Spur. And to me, he's probably gonna have to go through the fire if he ever hopes to make a career.

Spurs Homer
Or maybe he never earned minutes. He wasn't owed a spot in the rotation if he was being lazy in practice for example.

maybe

but at this point

i would trust and give the benefit of the doubt to RC’s eye for talent

OVER

a coach who stuffed thousands of minutes down the throat of players like mills, gay, forbes, et al

OVER

young players who showed promise - even though the spurs are not a playoff team

id like to see primo get thrown out there THIS SEASON

over garbage like d white, forbes, ewwwbanks et al

i just think pop can be really good to players he likes
but

not really give a chance to others for whatever reason

Chinook
I was not “calling it” to brag. It was a huge hunch based off amateur detective work and it just so happens to be right.

Nah, this thread was fine. I assumed all of the stuff about calling it was meant light-heartedly. In the very least, this thread gave a place for us to talk about the puzzle pieces aligning, and it was a good thread for reason if for nothing else.

Trill Clinton
Going to be awkward when he signs somewhere else, makes the regular rotation, and comes back and drops 25 and 10 at AT&T his first trip back.

https://c.tenor.com/9rOuCRpA23EAAAAM/charlie-murphy.gif

Uriel
10-11-2021, 04:35 PM
For all the people in this thread attacking Luka's off-the-court character: what evidence do you have? Sure, there was that fastbreak where he gave up on that play. But how do we know that wasn't just an isolated incident? What else has Luka done to deserve being called lazy, selfish, and all the other things people in this thread are saying about him?

I'm not saying ya'll are wrong, I just really want to know what he did.

Chinook
10-11-2021, 04:37 PM
For all the people in this thread attacking Luka's off-the-court character: what evidence do you have? Sure, there was that fastbreak where he gave up on that play. But how do we know that wasn't just an isolated incident? What else has Luka done to deserve being called lazy, selfish, and all the other things people in this thread are saying about him?

I doubt any of us knows him personally, but his character concerns are pretty well-established. It, more than rawness or whatever, is why he was such an odd pick.

raybies
10-11-2021, 04:37 PM
Ray, you're Ravens family. I wasn't talking about you.

ah... that makes sense now... I got you. Apologies for the defensiveness. I put the pieces together...

tbdog
10-11-2021, 04:40 PM
People would be less upset if Johnson and Luka swap draft positions.

Sugus
10-11-2021, 04:40 PM

Damn, D, you gotta start using these detective chops for good and drop the "amateur" tag. Harder-hitting analysis than half of ESPN's payroll...

Great call. I'll have to backlog-watch these last couple preseason games; I was hoping nothing too relevant happened there and I could skip them altogether, but this thread caught me off guard, and there clearly was smoke before this fire.

Never doubting another prediction made through followers-stalking ever again....... Maybe :lol

Rocalcio
10-11-2021, 04:42 PM
Spurs have waived him.

https://twitter.com/n_magaro/status/1447646832423849988?s=12

Damn…

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 04:43 PM

I'm just guessing. I don't think the Spurs drafted him 19 just to say fuck this guy let's not play him. Gotta be a good reason he wasn't getting minutes.

John B
10-11-2021, 04:43 PM

What benefit do they get cutting him right now? As you said they could’ve kept him longer, unless he really rubbed somebody bad. I mean the kid is 22! 6’11” with guard skills. And in a team that is rebuilding? I know Spurs culture and all, but that’s when we had the Big 3 to build around. We got nothing, and Spurs just let go a high ceiling prospect who they invested 2 years on?
Sugus, this kid is 22, Poeltl is 25 and was the starting Center, got his extension and all, but came out last year from off-season unprepared. But don’t you think getting Zollins and Jock who can shoot from outside and have offensive skills is not lighting up Jak’s behind?

Rocalcio
10-11-2021, 04:48 PM
Luka himself aside, it's annoying to have to sift through a thread trying to figure out if he's actually been cut. Initially, the OP is just speculating, but with six pages you have to find out if there is any actual news.

It wastes our time when people make thread titles that sound like fact when they are just speculative (even if highly likely).

This

Darius Bieber
10-11-2021, 04:48 PM
Also, can we appreciate that the OP has better sports journalism than 100% of the San Antonio media? Calling out a cut hours before the news broke.

TD 21
10-11-2021, 04:49 PM
It wasn't about bragging, it was about fair is fair (which goes for SAGirl if she infact was first) no matter the source.

This outcome was always far more likely than him putting it all together (which probably meant fringe starter). I didn't love the pick, but for a 19th pick and a team in need of high upside and with multiple 1sts that year, it was far more understandable than Jean-Charles and Milutinov.

Let's face facts though: Take the exact same personality, but have him be Black American and from the inner city and they wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole.

This was most likely mutual, but I actually like doing this immediately following that pathetic display last night than dragging this out another week. Can't let the rest of the team see a fringe-non NBA player live to see another day after that.

I'd give Bates-Diop the edge, but it's not a given Aminu is the final cut.

Mr. Body
10-11-2021, 04:51 PM

What, in G-League?

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 04:52 PM
^sorry, what’s fair? I’m not asking for any credit. In fact, y’all need to stop giving me any credit. Jesus Christ lol. Give it to SaGirl or whoever. Who cares who was first. I guess some people care. Good Lord…

Rocalcio
10-11-2021, 04:52 PM
Well, when I posted this it was just speculation about the Instagram shit, and it looks like many were surprised when it became official. So I’m the fool here but it could also have been OP had he still been around in 2 months.

Edit : I quoted Jeebus but he just quoted my message without writing anything so he doesn’t appear here.

Chinook
10-11-2021, 04:53 PM
It wasn't about bragging, it was about fair is fair (which goes for SAGirl if she infact was first) no matter the source.

This outcome was always far more likely than him putting it all together (which probably meant fringe starter). I didn't love the pick, but for a 19th pick and a team in need of high upside and with multiple 1sts that year, it was far more understandable than Jean-Charles and Milutinov.

Let's face facts though: Take the exact same personality, but have him be Black American and from the inner city and they wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole.

This was most likely mutual, but I actually like doing this immediately following that pathetic display last night than dragging this out another week. Can't let the rest of the team see a fringe-non NBA player live to see another day after that.

I'd give Bates-Diop the edge, but it's not a given Aminu is the final cut.

KBD being two-way eligible means cutting him and then signing up to that last spot might be a viable way to wrap up the off-season. I think Bates-Diop deserves the spot more, but AFA's contract is just so valuable to hold into the season.

John B
10-11-2021, 04:56 PM
I know Pop loves the overachiever like Bryn. But some athletes are just naturally gifted. And with the rxception of last night’s game, Luka seemed to have improved from draft day. The kid is big, and have very good skills. How much minutes has he logged in? Enough to dismiss he doesn’t have it? It has to be the attitude. But Bird, MJ, Barkley.. jerks. And like during draft discussions, Spurs don’t draft players with questionable characters. But how many DRob, Timmy, Manu out there?

raybies
10-11-2021, 04:58 PM
^sorry, what’s fair? I’m not asking for any credit. In fact, y’all need to stop giving me any credit. Jesus Christ lol. Give it to SaGirl or whoever. Who cares who was first. I guess some people care. Good Lord…

Don't think I'll go there anymore just wanted to throw a h/t in regards to the timing of it... sorry for all the ppl who fell slighted LUL

We can make a Jerkies award for everyone in that case, just so we can all circle jerk...

ducks
10-11-2021, 05:00 PM

I bet you 150.00 he does not

objective
10-11-2021, 05:00 PM
His attitude last night in the locker room must have been particularly bad to not keep him through the public scrimmage. With the recent camp cuts, injuries to Tre Jones and Jock, plus semi permanent disability for Zollins, they're going to be thin just playing against each other

playblair
10-11-2021, 05:03 PM
I've never openly talked about this on the sub, but I knew Luka was toast when I met him at the Champions Against Hunger dinner right before Covid hit. He came by my table to pour wine with two of the Spurs video guys and complained to me that he wasn't getting any minutes. Valid complaint from his perspective, but not something he should have told a fan (me). I knew then and there that his attitude wasn't where it needed to be and sadly it only became more obvious that he just didn't have the mental fortitude to make it work on this team.

spurraider21
10-11-2021, 05:04 PM

a lot of truth here tbh. patty/forbes/marco would be forgiven for defensive lapses all the time

Jordan Jackson
10-11-2021, 05:10 PM

The way things are going with this Spurs front office, this seems inevitable.

FutureMan
10-11-2021, 05:11 PM
Interesting to say the least. It was obvious to 9/10 people that he was drafted way too high. Hopefully one of these players can pull it together and break through as a true leader for this team. From what I quickly gathered draft wise:
- Leonard in 2011
- Dragic who was immediately traded in 2008 and was an “all star” once
- Tony Parker… in 2001. Yikes haha

illusioNtEk
10-11-2021, 05:11 PM
I knew this guy was a bust as soon as becky butt slapped him during practice and he acted like a lil girl about it.

Pop and DJ looked at each other like "wtf"...

playblair
10-11-2021, 05:12 PM
everyone bashig him for this play yet none of u said anything about the multiple times a game that gay/derozan literally stood still & made 0 attempt to close out on a 3 point shooter...........their effort was more pathetic in a regular season game than anything in this clip

Dex
10-11-2021, 05:13 PM
Also, can we appreciate that the OP has better sports journalism than 100% of the San Antonio media? Calling out a cut hours before the news broke.

All credit to Dejounte here but anyone who saw the game last night (or has been paying attention over the last two years) could've seen this coming.

At a certain point, people gotta stop blaming Pop and talking about "potential".

We've seen plenty of players come and go, but they were all given chances. Out of our current crew: Murray, White, Walker, Johnson, Vassell, even Eubanks all got the rookie treatment in some aspect, but they all ultimately found their way into the rotation one way or another. Primo and Jones seem well on their way.

Luka, on the other hand, never really proved anything. He had like one decent season in the GLeague, but otherwise the attitude problems that were part of his pre-draft concerns seemed to still follow him.

Obviously his trajectory got a little thrown off by COVID circumstances but that didn't seem to bother others like Johnson, Vassell, or Jones. There must have been some serious red flags behind the scenes that would lead the Spurs to cut his third year short and not even offer a fourth year on a rookie contract.

playblair
10-11-2021, 05:13 PM
I knew this guy was a bust as soon as becky butt slapped him during practice and he acted like a lil girl about it.

Pop and DJ looked at each other like "wtf"...
clip?

TD 21
10-11-2021, 05:14 PM

That I said this nearly two months ago and that she supposedly said it before even that.

It's not about credit, it's about being chronolgically correct.

Dejounte
10-11-2021, 05:16 PM
That I said this nearly two months ago and that she supposedly said it before even that.

It's not about credit, it's about being chronolgically correct.

okay man, you’re correct. Don’t know what else to say here, I’m sorry.

Russ
10-11-2021, 05:21 PM
This was a major overseas reconnaissance failure by the Spurs.

I was on record hoping that the Spurs would pick Keldon at 19. The Spurs got so damn lucky to get him at 29.

raybies
10-11-2021, 05:23 PM
At a certain point, people gotta stop blaming Pop and talking about "potential".

tbh... I have done my fair share of critique on Pop, but it seems some assertions are just lazy. Just blame Pop.

I'll definitely blame Pop if he fucks shit up. For example, pulling TD against Miami was a major fucking error. Anyone of us would have rather lost with TD in.. There's plenty of others etc, but even then, no one's track record is spotless.

John B
10-11-2021, 05:27 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised he gets swooped up right away. Mavs have several European players and could be a better situation. I think he gets along with the other Luka.

TD 21
10-11-2021, 05:28 PM
okay man, you’re correct. Don’t know what else to say here, I’m sorry.

:lmao Sorry for what? You didn't do anything wrong.

More than likely, no one intentionally did.

Das Texan
10-11-2021, 05:29 PM

At least Luka wasnt THAT bad....

I guess.

RC_Drunkford
10-11-2021, 05:30 PM
Lonnie is next if he doesn't perform consistently he will be traded

4lifecowboy
10-11-2021, 05:31 PM
When I seen him give up on that steal, I knew he was toast, that was pathetic.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 05:32 PM
tbh... I have done my fair share of critique on Pop, but it seems some assertions are just lazy. Just blame Pop.

I'll definitely blame Pop if he fucks shit up. For example, pulling TD against Miami was a major fucking error. Anyone of us would have rather lost with TD in.. There's plenty of others etc, but even then, no one's track record is spotless.

Duncan couldn't guard the three point line and Miami was forced to shoot threes. You gonna put Duncan at the rim and just give Miami a wide open three?

4lifecowboy
10-11-2021, 05:33 PM

By that rational White should watch his steps as well.

tonight...you
10-11-2021, 05:37 PM
I've never openly talked about this on the sub, but I knew Luka was toast when I met him at the Champions Against Hunger dinner right before Covid hit. He came by my table to pour wine with two of the Spurs video guys and complained to me that he wasn't getting any minutes. Valid complaint from his perspective, but not something he should have told a fan (me). I knew then and there that his attitude wasn't where it needed to be and sadly it only became more obvious that he just didn't have the mental fortitude to make it work on this team.
You must have a tiny penis to constantly try to pat yourself on the back like you do.
Even about things you haven't done yet has to post with giant font.

BillMc
10-11-2021, 05:40 PM

He deserves to be on the team, but really hope they don't extend him. Maybe being forced to bet on himself will light a much-needed fire under Lonnie (though I'm not sure even with fire he'll be much of a defender).

playblair
10-11-2021, 05:40 PM
You must have a tiny penis to constantly try to pat yourself on the back like you do.
Even about things you haven't done yet has to post with giant font.
i do have a tiny penis yes i was or with a condition called micropenis........yes this is a real story from someone verified on the spurs reddit..........im just stealig credit like op did with the story from TD 21 & SAGirl

jjspur
10-11-2021, 05:42 PM
"Flashes" that's the problem, he needs to have a good level of effort ( regularly) if he wants to suceed and he did not shows that in two years.

As we said for a lot of prospects you can't teach the motor.

Any time that someone mentioned Luka it was always with "he shows flashes" or " he has lots of potential" . Apparently the potential flashes just weren't enough. Much rather have a player like KBD or Eubanks who give lots of effort despite their athletic limitations.

cd98
10-11-2021, 05:45 PM
I'm sure Luka had a little chip on his shoulder that he was drafted at 19 and stuck in the G-League while Keldon moved up. I remember that kind of being a thing in the bubble. I don't think they gave him a real shot in the games, but it's fair they didn't play him in games if he sucked in practice.

Again, we would get excited if he hit a three like it was this great thing. Meanwhile guys like Vassel and Walker are hitting threes and we are not making a big deal of it. It's like anything that Luka did that was even marginally good, we were singing praises. I think we the fans wanted it to happen more than Luka the player. But until he gets some nastiness, he will not make it in this league regardless of being 6'11 player that can handle the ball and shoot threes.

PhantomDashCam
10-11-2021, 05:53 PM
Well, the only good I can see of this is perhaps we can shut down the 'Ben Simmons thread' now...
If attitude is the problem (and when a rookie has played in 36 games over two years for a non playoff team...), then a player who thinks they should be the #1 guy and holds his team to ransom should hold little sway here.

BillMc
10-11-2021, 05:54 PM
I'm sure Luka had a little chip on his shoulder that he was drafted at 19 and stuck in the G-League while Keldon moved up. I remember that kind of being a thing in the bubble. I don't think they gave him a real shot in the games, but it's fair they didn't play him in games if he sucked in practice.

Again, we would get excited if he hit a three like it was this great thing. Meanwhile guys like Vassel and Walker are hitting threes and we are not making a big deal of it. It's like anything that Luka did that was even marginally good, we were singing praises. I think we the fans wanted it to happen more than Luka the player. But until he gets some nastiness, he will not make it in this league regardless of being 6'11 player that can handle the ball and shoot threes.

My recollection was last year he played really good perimeter defense for his size, which allowed us to imagine a 6'11 guy who would be switchable up and down the line. I don't want to defend Luka but Covid and a broken hand this offseason, really messed with any sustained development opportunities he might have had.

That said, I trust in Pop who saw him every practice. If they bailed after all his potential, there was likely a good reason.

Fusternino
10-11-2021, 06:24 PM
I really felt all of KBD, Lyles and Luka played well after Q gave half the team COVID but Pop benched all of them soon after to go back to four guard lineups.

Forbes being resigned makes the back end of the roster so awkward. Hopefully like someone said KBD can just be waived and signed to a two way with the understanding he would get more minutes than Aminu. This team is already too tiny. Or Young gets moved, who knows.

Luka is just too frustrating. The physical tools are all there, it's just . . . and yes I saw that Reddit post as well.

Mugen
10-11-2021, 06:27 PM
Par for the course for this franchise tbh :lol

timtonymanu
10-11-2021, 06:32 PM
Par for the course for this franchise tbh :lol

:pop: We thought he was “Doncic.”

timvp
10-11-2021, 06:42 PM
Tbh, this Luka-got-waived-cuz-he-quit-on-that-play has turned into a weird meme. Anyone who has watched Samanic play knows he's not one to hustle. I've watched his Europe, summer league and G League tape and the number of times he has hustled back in transition can be counted on one hand. That aloofness and lack of competitive fire has always been what has kept him from being a highly regarded prospect. We're talking about a guy who can easily dunk from the free throw line, effortlessly shoot threes, move his feet out on the perimeter on defense against guards, rebound well and pass well.

Put most succinctly, Samanic's make or break attribute was whether he'd ever care enough. He lacked hustle, grit and basketball IQ -- and most of that was fixable if he ever decided to completely dedicate himself to the game. Apparently that never happened. Again, that shouldn't be surprising because every Europe scout knew that Samanic was a reluctant basketball player from the very beginning. His dad played basketball but Luka tried his best not to play until his size and athleticism forced his hand. IIRC, he has even admitted that his true passion is skateboarding :lol

But, yeah, nothing Samanic did last night impacted the decision. The writing was on the wall ever since KBD was signed. Giving KBD a guaranteed contract only to waive him a couple months later made no sense. It's clear now that the Spurs have been expecting this result for months.

Do I think he was a bad pick? Yeah, I mean, I was never too enthused with the selection. I labeled him as a two-year prospect right away. Here we are two years later and the Spurs didn't see enough advancement to even justify going any further.

Good luck to Samanic, tbh. He has all the tools you'd want as a basketball player -- we'll see if he ever decides to GAF.

ducks
10-11-2021, 06:42 PM
He deserves to be on the team, but really hope they don't extend him. Maybe being forced to bet on himself will light a much-needed fire under Lonnie (though I'm not sure even with fire he'll be much of a defender).

Tell me why he deserves to be on his team ?

All his hard work and listening to coaches has not developed into a constant force for spurs
His d has not improved
Since he refuses to celebrate 4 of July does that make him he can do no wrong ?

BillMc
10-11-2021, 06:50 PM
Tell me why he deserves to be on his team ?

All his hard work and listening to coaches has not developed into a constant force for spurs
His d has not improved
Since he refuses to celebrate 4 of July does that make him he can do no wrong ?

Sheer offensive potential on an offensively challenged team merits a spot for him for now, but my post was not a positive one. I said I don't think he should be extended and don't think he'll ever be a defender. I'm hoping he'll show enough offense this year we can trade Lonnie for something of value. He's a good guy and I want him to succeed, but not seen any real evidence he will.

ceperez
10-11-2021, 06:53 PM
My bet is that the Mavericks will pick him up!

He certainly has the physical talent, it's just his head isn't commited enough.

spurraider21
10-11-2021, 06:56 PM
#ceperez

BillMc
10-11-2021, 06:57 PM
My bet is that the Mavericks will pick him up!

He certainly has the physical talent, it's just his head isn't commited enough.

Maybe gettin' cut will motivate him like early-career Danny Green.

But probably not.

timtonymanu
10-11-2021, 06:58 PM
Sheer offensive potential on an offensively challenged team merits a spot for him for now, but my post was not a positive one. I said I don't think he should be extended and don't think he'll ever be a defender. I'm hoping he'll show enough offense this year we can trade Lonnie for something of value. He's a good guy and I want him to succeed, but not seen any real evidence he will.

Don’t even waste your time giving a thoughtful, intelligent response to ducks, my friend.

Leetonidas
10-11-2021, 07:00 PM
Can't wait to see his interview in some Croatian paper and a few weeks where he shits on SA and blames everything on Pop :lol

timtonymanu
10-11-2021, 07:08 PM
I don’t know who said it but back when he was drafted, someone said he pulled a Nephew on his old team before he was drafted. Tbh the red flags were there from the start. Dude just always seemed like an asshole, tbh.

Maddog
10-11-2021, 07:17 PM
I'm just guessing. I don't think the Spurs drafted him 19 just to say fuck this guy let's not play him. Gotta be a good reason he wasn't getting minutes.

Considering an 18 year old is getting minutes and KJ got minutes...

GAustex
10-11-2021, 07:38 PM
With the Spurs he seemed disengaged. I think or it seems that he fell out with Pop and just kind of quit.
It will be interesting if he makes something of himself elsewhere

ceperez
10-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Considering an 18 year old is getting minutes and KJ got minutes...

KJ showed with an attitude that doesn't quit that you could get minutes. Both are the same age and I don't know why Samanic did not get the memo.

SAGirl
10-11-2021, 07:43 PM

Thanks for sharing, since I didn’t watch this game… I saw the referenced play in social media, but the one that followed was just as abominable. That’s too bad. Young guy but he had absolutely no competitive desire.

Robz4000
10-11-2021, 07:45 PM
I don’t know who said it but back when he was drafted, someone said he pulled a Nephew on his old team before he was drafted. Tbh the red flags were there from the start. Dude just always seemed like an asshole, tbh.

Texas_Ranger iirc

Mr. Body
10-11-2021, 07:50 PM
The 2019 draft was pretty shitty, to be honest. Good players here or there, but a lot of truly bad players. Whiffing sucks, but it happened a lot that year. Getting Keldon was the main thing.

cd98
10-11-2021, 07:57 PM
He got waived so quickly during training camp given that he was a first pick and the Spurs have invested in him that I wonder if it was just that he had the wrong attitude. Kind of reminds me how Jimmer was in the Spurs training camp, played like two games, and then he was gone. You would think these guys would be final cuts, but there must be some reason why they don't even get to play out the rest of the preseason games.