PDA

View Full Version : Official 2022 NBA Draft thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

duncan2150
11-13-2021, 02:42 PM
I know it's early but as the hope for us is to have a good pick while seeing some of our youth improving, imo we can start to talk about some prospects.

I will focus my first post on the frontcourt players coming in the nba next year, i think that's the biggest need for the team.

I expect our team to have a top 10 pick, the best thing is to be a top5-6 IMO, so here is my firt list for the upcoming draft ( no order) :

1- C Chet Holmgren 7'0 195 lbs 7'3'5 wingspan ( 19.5 yrs old-Gonzaga )

He can do everything, shoot from 3 and mid range, drive, really good shotblocker, good rebounder , nice passer.
He is a little bit slow but not that much for a seven footer, the biggest concern is his thin frame and the fact that he could be injury prone with that kind of body. His perimeter D could be a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPM_RFlihnw

2- PF Jabari Smith 6'10 210 lbs ? wingspan ( 18.5 yrs old-Auburn)

Jabari is one of my favourite coming into this year, he started to caught some eyes in Auburn last week. He's your mordern 4/5, he can space and run the floor , good athlete, agile and fluid, good handle, he can defend multiple positions, rebound well.
Like Holmgren but in a different style, he has a skinny frame, could have some difficulties finishing trough contact, needs to play more in the paint( too much on the perimeter), good but not explosive athlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c893hTWR9fg

3- PF Paolo Banchero 6'10 250 lbs 7'0'5 wingspan ( 19yrs old- Duke)

The favourite for the first pick and my favorite prospect also, he is nba ready imo and can do pretty everything well. He was really good in Duke's first games.

really good physical profile, good athlete, nice footwork, versatile scorer ( can shoot the 3), good rebounder, smart player who can make some good assists, versatile defender....
No real weakness but laterall quickness is not elite, can cut down some the TO and improve his 3 pt shooting wich his not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4hpBMp40iE

4- C Jalen Duren 6'11 250 lbs 7'5 wingspan ( 18 yrs old-Memphis)

Duren is your real interior, he is a beast. Explosive athlete, good motor. Very good shotblocker and good rebounder. No problem finishing near the basket.
Not a big repertoire offensively other than catching lobs, putback and finishing near the basket. Mediocre FT shooter.

5- SF/PF Patrick Baldwin Jr 6'9 220 lbs 6'11 wingspan ( 19 yrs old- Winsconsin Milwaukee)

My last guy is Pat Baldwin, playing for his dad in Milwaukee he would have all the place to showcase his talent.
Baldwin is a really good shooter, nice and pure form, good mobility, can shot or post up smaller guys, good off the ball player, good IQ.
Not an explosive athlete, lacks some speed, not a good rebounder or shotblocker, can improve his offense versatility.

Sleepers : Tracye Jackson Davis ( 6'9 PF- Indiana and son of former nba payer Dale Davis ) Damion Collins ( 6'9 PF- Kentucky) Brandon Huntley Hartfield ( 6'10 PF- Tennessee)

So who you got for the spurs next year ? what do people think of those prospects ? even if it's the beginning.

duncan2150
11-13-2021, 02:43 PM
Jalen Duren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb3Zg8KDVv4

Patrick Baldwin Jr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeIrkkm_wCk

Dejounte
11-13-2021, 02:47 PM
Patrick Baldwin Jr should be the pick. The Spurs don’t need any more non-shooters and guys who can’t create for themselves. Banchero doesn’t look fluid at all and reminds me of Jalen Johnson who is a tweener in a bad way. The team needs to continue adding scorers and I think they will go for that. Patrick will solve our issues with lack of length and inability to buy a bucket outside of Murray.

Dennis the Menace
11-13-2021, 04:46 PM
Chet Homlgren looks like marfans

Mnky
11-13-2021, 04:58 PM
Patrick.

Reminds me of a Durant Light. Plays with his dad, obviously a culture kid and coaches kid. He can get his own bucket, plenty of size, not an elite athlete but his size makes up for his average athleticism. With his high release, he should have no trouble getting his shot when he wants.

He did look a little flat in his opener, and didn't stand out talent wise as much as I'd expect but he took care of business and got his stats so maybe he just plays quiet like Duncan used to.

PBJ is my pick outside one of the couple really good shooters coming out. Unfortunately they're all 6'3 and under size. We would have to move on from two or three guys if we drafted that small tbh. Don't know if the spurs will think that way. Prolly just logjam guards in Austin with primo.

objective
11-13-2021, 05:13 PM
Banchero doesn’t look fluid at all and reminds me of Jalen Johnson who is a tweener in a bad way.

That's exactly the comparison I thought of when I watched him.

Dejounte
11-13-2021, 05:15 PM
PBJ will likely be there between #5 to #10 due to his decision to play for a small school and because people overvalue athleticism over skill.

BacktoBasics
11-13-2021, 05:36 PM
I don’t know much about these prospects but I’ve heard a good comp for Duren is Myles Turner and he’s been on this forums radar for awhile.

pad300
11-13-2021, 07:20 PM
I'd take a serious look at Daimion Collins. He averaged 7 ast/gm as a high school senior (as well as 35 pts, 14 rb, 6.2 blks). That number is high enough to suggest he has some vision, as well as being a serious athlete and 6'9" (with a 7'4" wingspan).
https://twitter.com/slam_university/status/1459337972688510978

FutureMan
11-13-2021, 11:31 PM
If this team ends up with a pick between 7-10 I’ve got my eye in Houstan. Just like I though, this team is still hurting on 3 pointers and I think he may be a solution.

FutureMan
11-13-2021, 11:32 PM
If this team ends up with a pick between 7-10 I’ve got my eye in Houstan. Just like I though, this team is still hurting on 3 pointers and I think he may be a solution.

james evans
11-13-2021, 11:50 PM
One of these guys are gonna put up big numbers for the Austin Spurs next season.

GAustex
11-14-2021, 12:26 AM
Not seeing the Gonzaga dude stringbean

Mnky
11-14-2021, 02:11 AM
I'd take a serious look at Daimion Collins. He averaged 7 ast/gm as a high school senior (as well as 35 pts, 14 rb, 6.2 blks). That number is high enough to suggest he has some vision, as well as being a serious athlete and 6'9" (with a 7'4" wingspan).
https://twitter.com/slam_university/status/1459337972688510978

Kid is from my area. Unreal athleticism. I've been to plenty of sporting events, watching him play in high school was up there with any other athletes I've seen live. He's a good kid from what I've seen and heard as well. Small town kid, stayed out of trouble and just worked.

With that being said, he is a student of the game and works on all facets of the game but he is underdeveloped. His stats were against kids half his size. His size and athleticism allowed him to get playground stats quite a bit. Not to say he isn't a good player, he is. He would very much be a project at this point. I'm definitely watching to see his development this year against athletes that stand a chance and can compete against him.

Dejounte
11-14-2021, 07:54 AM
https://twitter.com/berkayterzi_/status/1459846597592993801?s=21

His bag is ridiculous. This is a no brainer. I’m glad his team is losing, maybe this will cause him to be overlooked and he’ll be there wherever the Spurs land with their draft position.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-14-2021, 09:22 AM
I like Jabari Smith and Baldwin too.

Dex
11-14-2021, 10:37 AM
I look forward to drafting another guard with the 11th pick.

duncan2150
11-14-2021, 01:49 PM
His bag is ridiculous. This is a no brainer. I’m glad his team is losing, maybe this will cause him to be overlooked and he’ll be there wherever the Spurs land with their draft position.

He could be a really good addition to the team, really smart player and pure shooter. The only thing he can't solve is the rebouding but you can't have everything.

That's also why i like jabari smith who can shoot and give you some athletism inside.

mo7888
11-14-2021, 02:26 PM

I haven't really looked at the college kids yet but, he does have size and skill set that we need...

Dejounte
11-14-2021, 03:26 PM
He could be a really good addition to the team, really smart player and pure shooter. The only thing he can't solve is the rebouding but you can't have everything.

That's also why i like jabari smith who can shoot and give you some athletism inside.

I’m not as convinced with Jabari. He looks like a downhill-type transition player that Scottie Barnes is, except with a better shot. I don’t think either will be useful when the game slows down and when you need a bucket in crunch time. Not enough craftiness and flash to his game. The Spurs need guys you can center an offense around. Plus, he doesn’t sound Spursy on social media which makes me think he won’t be a target anyway.

Mal
11-14-2021, 05:55 PM
anyone but not "stick insect"

james evans
11-14-2021, 06:36 PM
I look forward to drafting another guard with the 11th pick.
that won't play until his 2nd season

duncan2150
11-14-2021, 06:50 PM
I’m not as convinced with Jabari. He looks like a downhill-type transition player that Scottie Barnes is, except with a better shot. I don’t think either will be useful when the game slows down and when you need a bucket in crunch time. Not enough craftiness and flash to his game. The Spurs need guys you can center an offense around. Plus, he doesn’t sound Spursy on social media which makes me think he won’t be a target anyway.

I will follow him more, there are some concerns for sure.

About Banchero i really don't see the J Johnson comparison, Banchero is way more developed than Johnson. JJ plays like a point foward, for me Banchero is more versatile, i will compare him to some scoring PF ala Griffin or Boozer... a younger and modern version of something like that.

Dejounte
11-14-2021, 07:03 PM
I will follow him more, there are some concerns for sure.

About Banchero i really don't see the J Johnson comparison, Banchero is way more developed than Johnson. JJ plays like a point foward, for me Banchero is more versatile, i will compare him to some scoring PF ala Griffin or Boozer... a younger and modern version of something like that.

How is Banchero versatile and Jalen Johnson isn’t? I would think playing like a point forward IS what makes you versatile. Griffin/ Boozer were anything but versatile. They were one trick ponies who didn’t do much outside of their post offense and rebounding.

duncan2150
11-14-2021, 07:08 PM
How is Banchero versatile and Jalen Johnson isn’t? I would think playing like a point forward IS what makes you versatile. Griffin/ Boozer are anything but versatile. They were one trick ponies who didn’t do much outside of their post offense and rebounding.

Johnson can't shoot well, he was not a good driver either in NCAA. Your not versatile cause your long and can pass ... Imo they have nothing in common. Banchero is better at pretty everything at the same age for me and they have different skillsets.

Griffin or Boozer is for the scoring PF and i don't want to bring in Chris Webber cause it's too high actually.

Dejounte
11-14-2021, 07:22 PM
Johnson can't shoot well, he was not a good driver either in NCAA. Your not versatile cause your long and can pass ... Imo they have nothing in common. Banchero is better at pretty everything at the same age for me.

Griffin or Boozer is for the scoring PF and i don't want to bring in Chris Webber cause it's too high actually.

Will agree to disagree…

I don’t even like J. Johnson but even I will admit that the whole reason he was highly regarded on this forum and other media was because of his advertised versatility: some semblance of an outside shot, athleticism, rebounding, passing, ability to guard some bigs and some smalls. I am not at all saying J. Johnson is on the same level as Banchero talent-wise, only that they play similar. To me, they are similar in the following ways: a modern C in a PF’s body, prefers interior scoring over perimeter and relies on athleticism to get most of their shots, strength is in transition/ going downhill, will need to be fed the ball in the NBA to score, not quick enough to stay on smaller players and not big enough to provide any interior presence, most blocks come from weakside.

where I will say they differ is that Paolo has moves in the post and Jalen has zero. Paolo likes to get the ball in the post and goes to work either through jab steps then a face up jumper or breaking down his man with spin moves or crossovers, and in that regard, he is more talented.

Mnky
11-14-2021, 11:42 PM

Yea I'm worried the spurs end up late lottery for some reason and he's out of our reach. Hoping the other kids are enough of a distraction from him. Think he's going to get more headlines during combine time unfortunately.

Dejounte
11-15-2021, 08:16 AM
https://youtu.be/ZBan0wnQUSY

Texas_Ranger
11-15-2021, 08:22 AM
start looking at some second rounders, cause everyone should know this retarded franchise wont pick a guy that can actually play basketball.

slick'81
11-15-2021, 08:41 AM
start looking at some second rounders, cause everyone should know this retarded franchise wont pick a guy that can actually play basketball.

vassell,primo,kj and Murray dont look that bad broski

ginobilized
11-15-2021, 12:41 PM
https://youtu.be/ZBan0wnQUSY

Nice find, thanks for sharing.
Hard to argue with him as a great pick for the Spurs, probably for anyone. If the Spurs sustain their current winning pct, that should keep them in the game to get him on draft day.

Mr. Body
11-15-2021, 01:50 PM
A note about Trayce Jackson-Davis. I think he's a late lottery pick. If he develops a jump shot he's going to be a good starter in this league. Even if he doesn't, a potentially nice platoon guy who can block shots with the best of them. I don't think he's a star, but definitely wouldn't mind him on a team.

BackHome
11-15-2021, 04:11 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but we don’t have our second round pick for the 2022 Draft? Which kinda sucks if true since it will be the highest second we would have used in a LONG time - I hope I am wrong though.

BackHome
11-15-2021, 05:20 PM
For me I agree Baldwin would be a great pick for us depending where we draft as he would be a GREAT stretch four for us. If we can get into 4 to 6 draft we got a chance at him or another big Jabari Smith. After that I would be looking at Collins who is a beast on defense but definitely will take some time to reach potential on the offensive side. Another kid is is Caleb Houston a SF who has a sweet stroke definitely worth a look.

After that some guys who intrigue me is Nikola Jovic a PF from Serbia who just plays Nasty he can be a really good point forward and does a little bit of everything and he is opposite of Luka the kid has Heart. Next would be Mouhamed Gueye who is a freak athlete would definitely need to play in G League a season or two but tons of possible upside.

Another kid who is going to try and be draft eligible is Shaedon Sharpe a SG who is projected to go number 2 in 2023 draft. Curious to see what people think of him?

duncan2150
11-15-2021, 07:38 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but we don’t have our second round pick for the 2022 Draft? Which kinda sucks if true since it will be the highest second we would have used in a LONG time - I hope I am wrong though.

Yes our second was dealt a long time ago to Utah for... Olivier Hanlan, the pick is now the Cavs property.

The spurs have Detroit pick tough.

The Truth #6
11-15-2021, 07:44 PM
Baldwin. I like what I've seen. Would fit perfectly at the 4.

DJ
Primo
Vassell
Baldwin
Yak

I'm not hating that lineup. A mixture of shooting and defense.

lefty20
11-15-2021, 07:58 PM
I see a lot of in-game highlights posted but that's secondary for the Spurs. I need to see character highlights. Show me a clip of these dudes helping at the homeless shelter and what not. That's where we'll find our next pick.

Biggems
11-15-2021, 11:17 PM
Adam Flagler of Baylor will be our pick

rjv
11-16-2021, 10:08 AM
don't know if this will impact banchero's stock any (unlikely that it will) but i do expect him to be suspended for multiple games.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32643987/duke-basketball-player-michael-savarino-grandson-coach-mike-krzyzewski-face-dwi-charges-paolo-banchero

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-17-2021, 01:21 PM
Good work duncan2150

i know it isn’t hard but it is time consuming getting al the info and starting a thread like this. Guys like you, Dejounte, timvp, etc… might not get a lot of props but I’m just letting you know you’re appreciated

duncan2150
11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
You're Welcome :toast

Dejounte
11-18-2021, 02:45 PM
FYI

Patrick baldwin playing tonight on at 5pm / espn+

im gonna try to catch it

rjv
11-19-2021, 10:26 AM
FYI

Patrick baldwin playing tonight on at 5pm / espn+

im gonna try to catch it

i saw that he only had 13 points but they did play one of the top teams in the country and baldwin is the only decent player that the panther have. of course, i imagine that the spurs are on pace for a top five pick (maybe even top three) at this pace.

Dejounte
11-19-2021, 10:42 AM
i saw that he only had 13 points but they did play one of the top teams in the country and baldwin is the only decent player that the panther have. of course, i imagine that the spurs are on pace for a top five pick (maybe even top three) at this pace.

Yeah, one player can’t carry a team. It’s the same cringe I get whenever I see people mention the win total as if it’s an indicator of Murray’s impact.

Drom John
11-19-2021, 11:01 AM
FiveThirtyEight now predicts that the Spurs will be in a coin flip for top five lottery pick.
33-45, tied at 5th/6th with the Pelicans.

TDomination
11-19-2021, 11:08 AM
FiveThirtyEight now predicts that the Spurs will be in a coin flip for top five lottery pick.
33-45, tied at 5th/6th with the Pelicans.
33 wins sounds optimistic!

i hate losing but man if we continue losing this season i truly hope when its all said and done we are in the bottom 3 worse records. my hope is we only last 1 year in this crappy position and somehow next year get better to at least make playoffs and then go from there.

rjv
11-19-2021, 11:16 AM
33 wins sounds optimistic!

i hate losing but man if we continue losing this season i truly hope when its all said and done we are in the bottom 3 worse records. my hope is we only last 1 year in this crappy position and somehow next year get better to at least make playoffs and then go from there.

exactly. i can cope with one crappy year if the net result is significant development of at least two or three younger players, a high lottery pick and the addition of a free agent that can improve the roster.

BackHome
11-19-2021, 01:31 PM
To be honest we need to tank a minimum of two years and get really lucky that our picks turn out to be legit. With the upcoming draft I believe we could definitely get our starting PF of the future. Go all in for Victor Wembanyama 7’2 Center with a 7’8 wingspan or Dereck Lively another 7 footer in 2023

This team needs a major infusion of talent one thing I have heard is that Shaedon Sharpe is going to try and come out in 2022 instead of 2023 draft where he is showing up as 2nd pick in that draft. Would you take another Canada kid or go with one of the PF/SF?

buttsR4rebounding
11-19-2021, 06:31 PM
To be honest we need to tank a minimum of two years and get really lucky that our picks turn out to be legit. With the upcoming draft I believe we could definitely get our starting PF of the future. Go all in for Victor Wembanyama 7’2 Center with a 7’8 wingspan or Dereck Lively another 7 footer in 2023

This team needs a major infusion of talent one thing I have heard is that Shaedon Sharpe is going to try and come out in 2022 instead of 2023 draft where he is showing up as 2nd pick in that draft. Would you take another Canada kid or go with one of the PF/SF?

I read that the NBA was considering lowering the draft age and that Victor may be in the 2022 draft. Has anyone heard that?

BackHome
11-20-2021, 10:51 PM
Only thing I have heard is that the NBA and Union are in talks to lower draft age to 18 so that is a possibility. That would change some things definitely if that were to happen for top 10 players especially in this draft class.

Biggems
11-21-2021, 09:42 AM
unfortunately, there is no way in hell we will be a top 2 in the draft lottery, as Houston has cornered the market on Ping Pong balls. Now if we can somehow allow them to sweep us, we may have a chance.

if we were able to get the top pick and Victor was available......Holy Moly, the Basketball Gods have once again shined down on the Alamo City.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2021, 11:34 AM
unfortunately, there is no way in hell we will be a top 2 in the draft lottery, as Houston has cornered the market on Ping Pong balls. Now if we can somehow allow them to sweep us, we may have a chance.

Bottom 3 have an equal chance at the top 4 picks, so it doesn't matter what Houston are doing.

Dejounte
11-26-2021, 07:46 PM
I’ve been following Keegan Murray lately and he looks like the real deal. 21 points and 8 rebs right now at the half.

Dejounte
11-26-2021, 07:57 PM
I’m backing off my S. Barnes comp for Banchero. I think that title belongs more to Jabari Smith. duncan2150

Right now, my favorite players:

1a. Patrick Baldwin Jr.
1b. Keegan Murray
2. Banchero
3. Jaden Ivey

Marco
11-26-2021, 08:03 PM
Keegan Murray is quite impressive. It's only highlights, but still. I'd love it in a Spurs uni. The young scorer at the forward spot Spurs need.

Dejounte
11-26-2021, 08:53 PM
Keegan Murray is quite impressive. It's only highlights, but still. I'd love it in a Spurs uni. The young scorer at the forward spot Spurs need.

Keegan also draws a lot of fouls and isn’t afraid of contact, which is a sore need on this Spurs team.

mo7888
11-26-2021, 09:30 PM
I’m backing off my S. Barnes comp for Banchero. I think that title belongs more to Jabari Smith. duncan2150

1a. Patrick Baldwin Jr.
1b. Keegan Murray
2. Banchero
3. Jaden Ivey

If you're comparing Jabari and Scottie Barnes I'm curious how you're getting that? Do you just mean athleticism because Barnes always looked like his shot was broken to me...Jabari looks pretty fluid.

Jabari is my #1 (admittedly I'm just starting to look at these guys..less than a week that I've paid any attention to it) followed by Baldwin then Banchero...(full disclosure- I haven't watched Murray yet at all)..

Dejounte
11-26-2021, 09:42 PM
If you're comparing Jabari and Scottie Barnes I'm curious how you're getting that? Do you just mean athleticism because Barnes always looked like his shot was broken to me...Jabari looks pretty fluid.

Jabari is my #1 (admittedly I'm just starting to look at these guys..less than a week that I've paid any attention to it) followed by Baldwin then Banchero...(full disclosure- I haven't watched Murray yet at all)..

They both feed off their intensity to make game changing plays. Both look like they never run out of energy. Their length and athleticism allows them to shoot over people or make plays inside. Yes, Jabari’s shot is better. However, he is the same as Scottie where he isn’t a natural scorer and it’s not where he can put the team on his back to lead the game in scoring. It’s why he hasn’t had consistent scoring games. It’s going to fluctuate all season from 10 points to 20 points and maybe even some games where he has less than 10 points. The offensive awareness and fundamentals aren’t there. These aren’t all things that will doom him from being a good player. Just stating the type of player he is. Personally, it’s not the type of player I could see leading the Spurs in the future.

mo7888
11-26-2021, 10:05 PM
They both feed off their intensity to make game changing plays. Both look like they never run out of energy. Their length and athleticism allows them to shoot over people or make plays inside. Yes, Jabari’s shot is better. However, he is the same as Scottie where he isn’t a natural scorer and it’s not where he can put the team on his back to lead the game in scoring. It’s why he hasn’t had consistent scoring games. It’s going to fluctuate all season from 10 points to 20 points and maybe even some games where he has less than 10 points. The offensive awareness and fundamentals aren’t there. These aren’t all things that will doom him from being a good player. Just stating the type of player he is. Personally, it’s not the type of player I could see leading the Spurs in the future.

Ok, I can buy that... I think the difference in the shot is significant though... I think Jabari has a much better chance of becoming a go-to scorer that can put a team on his back than Barnes does and the shot is what gives him that chance.

Dejounte
11-26-2021, 11:11 PM
I just realized I gave Banchero a Jalen Johnson comp, not a Barnes one. That’s the one I meant I’m backing off of.

Banchero is much more convincing on halfcourt sets than Jalen. I’ll come up with a better comp later.

Dejounte
11-26-2021, 11:18 PM
I don’t like to make reactions based on a single game, let alone three. If I were to though, based on the game tonight, Banchero should probably be the #1 pick if the Spurs pick there. If the Spurs land between #2 to #6, Baldwin or Keegan should be the pick. If they land past #7, it should be Ivey. This is my really, really early analysis.

Dejounte
11-27-2021, 12:01 AM
Banchero needs to move more off-ball. When he doesn’t have the ball, he just hovers around one area. While I think he’s worthy of the #1 pick, this is the reason why I find Baldwin and Keegan more enjoyable to watch. They both embrace playing within a team, and have no problems running around to get open. There’s no expectation that they should be force fed the ball.

Dejounte
11-27-2021, 12:31 AM
Paolo loves to live inside the paint on defense and that’s really concerning. There’s not much sample size of him defending the perimeter that’s enough to convince people that he will do fine with the speed of the NBA. And this is where he drew the Jalen Johnson comp from me. Seems like he’s a big with ISO skills on offense. His lack of activity will be the mountain he has to climb if he wants to be great. The reason he’s worthy of the #1 pick is I can see building an offense around his skills, but 1) will he be a liability on defense and 2) can he play unselfish and allow an offense to thrive without him needing the ball?

Mr. Body
11-27-2021, 12:42 AM
Paolo loves to live inside the paint on defense and that’s really concerning. There’s not much sample size of him defending the perimeter that’s enough to convince people that he will do fine with the speed of the NBA. And this is where he drew the Jalen Johnson comp from me. Seems like he’s a big with ISO skills on offense. His lack of activity will be the mountain he has to climb if he wants to be great. The reason he’s worthy of the #1 pick is I can see building an offense around his skills, but 1) will he be a liability on defense and 2) can he play unselfish and allow an offense to thrive without him needing the ball?

It's hard to tell what the fuck Coach K does anymore. He gets gobs of top freshmen and they just sort of play. I haven't been hugely impressed with guys coming out of Duke for a while now. It's almost like he's bored and is just coasting on accolades at this point. Time to hang them up.

Dejounte
11-27-2021, 12:59 AM
https://youtu.be/6rlTHjVXABw

mo7888
11-27-2021, 11:29 AM
https://youtu.be/6rlTHjVXABw

He looks taller than he's listed...I wonder if he's grown since that measurement?

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-27-2021, 11:34 AM
My tier 1 is Banchero, Holmgren and Smith in no particular order.
Tier 2 Baldwin Jr, Ivey, Hardy, Duren.

lmbebo
11-27-2021, 07:00 PM
I can't get over Holmgren and his size or lack thereof

exstatic
11-27-2021, 10:19 PM

That pick went to Utah in 2016 for them to eat the last year of Diaw’s salary. :lol. Don’t worry. We’ll have Detroits pick, which will be better than ours, most likely. First payoff in the DeRozan trade. We also have this year’s Laker second rounder from that same trade.

FutureMan
11-28-2021, 02:14 AM
It’s early but I’m already looking forward to a few players. Banchero, Holmgren, & Smith stand out the most but I also like Ivey & Murray. Thats 5 players right off the bat. Plus I trust the Spurs enough to mold a player with true potential. Our franchise player might not be too far away.

duncan2150
11-28-2021, 07:00 PM
I’m backing off my S. Barnes comp for Banchero. I think that title belongs more to Jabari Smith. duncan2150 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49700)

1a. Patrick Baldwin Jr.
1b. Keegan Murray
2. Banchero
3. Jaden Ivey

Yes Smith is active, really like his character.

Murray is killin it this year, he's older than others prospects at the age of 21 but really interesting player.

KingKev
12-02-2021, 08:05 AM
Rockets with a 4 game win streak! Let's go Clutch City

exstatic
12-02-2021, 09:35 AM

if we were able to get the top pick and Victor was available......Holy Moly, the Basketball Gods have once again shined down on the Alamo City.
THE
FINAL
STANDINGS
ARENT
THE
DRAFT
ORDER.

They have this thing called the lottery. Maybe you’ve heard of it? Detroit moved up within the top 4, and two other teams moved into the top 4, Cleveland and Toronto. If you’re keeping up, in the 3 years of the new format, 9 teams have moved from outside the top 4 to inside the top 4. So, 9 of the total top 12 picks were made from outside of the top 4 pre lottery positions.

Biggems
12-02-2021, 02:22 PM
THE
FINAL
STANDINGS
ARENT
THE
DRAFT
ORDER.

They have this thing called the lottery. Maybe you’ve heard of it? Detroit moved up within the top 4, and two other teams moved into the top 4, Cleveland and Toronto. If you’re keeping up, in the 3 years of the new format, 9 teams have moved from outside the top 4 to inside the top 4. So, 9 of the total top 12 picks were made from outside of the top 4 pre lottery positions.

A draft lottery? No way.....I was wondering where the ping pong balls came from......well thank you for telling me.

BTW, I know we have a chance......just expecting the worst since nephew did us dirty.

If we do get the top pick, I hope we don't waste it on the flagpole from Gonzaga.

Rocalcio
12-02-2021, 02:33 PM
Tank another year and get Victor Wembanyama !

Sugus
12-02-2021, 03:24 PM
Tank another year and get Victor Wembanyama !

Man, I'm so incredibly turned off by noodle-stick prospects like Victor, or Chet this year, or Poku the year before. I know NBA basketball is at maybe all-time levels of non-physicality and offensively tilted officiating, and that Kevin Durant exists and has made an all-time career out of that same body frame, but it's just so unlikely that a player with that body type can succeed long-term in the league, IMO. Game is way too fast-paced for those joints.

I'd much rather have a prospect like Anthony Edwards, Banchero, that kind of strongman build. Hopefully the Spurs can get a top 3 pick, and not "waste" it on Chet, this season.

Degoat
12-02-2021, 03:37 PM
What about that Nikola Jovic guy this year, wasn’t he really hyped up? Has he not performed well?

KingKev
12-02-2021, 07:19 PM
Anyone else hear that Banchero loses on average 7lbs in sweat a game and needs a special electrolyte concoction to stay hydrated. Reason he cramps up. WTF?!?

B1gduff
12-02-2021, 07:47 PM
My top 3 picks at the moment are;
1. Jabari Smith: dude looks like he can be a go to score in the League. he has a chance to be special
2. Baldwin Jr:
3. Duran

Dejounte
12-04-2021, 02:55 PM
https://twitter.com/ac__hoops/status/1467210440363151364?s=21

How can anyone look at the current Spurs roster or the general state of the NBA and then still want to gamble on non-shooters hoping they’ll improve their shooting over time? This is a no-brainer— go for a shooter like PBJ in the draft with star potential and don’t look back.

Dejounte
12-04-2021, 03:01 PM
https://twitter.com/ac__hoops/status/1467202812522246145?s=21

PBJ hit em with a “sit yo ass down” after the 3

BackHome
12-04-2021, 04:16 PM
My top realistic list:

Top tier.
Jabari Smith - Instant starter at PF and easily best player on our team also a definite need and fit
Jalen Duran - Our potential starting center in one to two years only draft him if Spurs think his offensive game has potential?

Second tier.
Keegan Murray - A SF/PF Who does it all a very complete game only question is he will be almost 22 when we draft what is his ceiling?
Patrick Baldwin - A SF/ PF a great shooter would definitely be a good fit for our team has nice size 6’10
Jaden Ivey - Dude is smoking hot right now would be Lonnie replacement 6’4 SG- Kid is just a baller has great court vision and is a scorer.
Kendall Brown - Another really smart player who can shoot and does everything definitely like this kid SF

If we can stay in top 10 of draft we good after that I think talent drops.

Truckules
12-04-2021, 05:07 PM
My top realistic list:

Top tier.
Jabari Smith - Instant starter at PF and easily best player on our team also a definite need and fit
Jalen Duran - Our potential starting center in one to two years only draft him if Spurs think his offensive game has potential?

Second tier.
Keegan Murray - A SF/PF Who does it all a very complete game only question is he will be almost 22 when we draft what is his ceiling?
Patrick Baldwin - A SF/ PF a great shooter would definitely be a good fit for our team has nice size 6’10
Jaden Ivey - Dude is smoking hot right now would be Lonnie replacement 6’4 SG- Kid is just a baller has great court vision and is a scorer.
Kendall Brown - Another really smart player who can shoot and does everything definitely like this kid SF

If we can stay in top 10 of draft we good after that I think talent drops.

I like the list, but I question the "realism" of some of the names. I see the Spurs being somewhere between picks 6 and 10, and I think Jabari Smith, Jalen Duren, and Jaden Ivey are top 5 picks. I could see Duren falling to pick 6 or 7 but I think the others are locks for the top 5 right now.

KobesAchilles
12-04-2021, 05:48 PM
If you thought Primo was raw… Ivey looks like he has no idea how to play basketball. That being said I would loooive to have him on the Spurs. Dude has dawg in him is quick as hell and attacks the pint like no tomorrow. He also looks for contact which is nice instead of avoiding it. He has a funky shot which I don’t expect Chip to be able to fix bc Chip sucks but it looks like it can be serviceable. Dude could be like Westbrook tbh

objective
12-04-2021, 06:11 PM
No one in this draft pops to me in the limited amount I've seen of the prospects, which is why I'm not upset at the Spurs winning games and possibly messing with their tank odds.

Some of these guys look alright and would probably be starters once they got over themselves in the g-league but I don't see anyone like Mobley for instance. Don't know if any 4s or 5s will even exceed John Collins, who while I was all in on being a use of their capspace this summer it's fair to point out that he's never been an all star. I guess that's what I see this year, no all stars. I probably haven't watched enough.

Mr. Body
12-04-2021, 07:21 PM
No one in this draft pops to me in the limited amount I've seen of the prospects, which is why I'm not upset at the Spurs winning games and possibly messing with their tank odds.

Some of these guys look alright and would probably be starters once they got over themselves in the g-league but I don't see anyone like Mobley for instance. Don't know if any 4s or 5s will even exceed John Collins, who while I was all in on being a use of their capspace this summer it's fair to point out that he's never been an all star. I guess that's what I see this year, no all stars. I probably haven't watched enough.

Who really popped out last year? Most of the top picks were iffy with Mobley and Cunningham showing some talent, but probably not franchise-changing talent -- although Mobley is playing well in a team with talent. The best player might have been Scottie Barnes and he dropped. The G-League kiddies were dubious. Same for the year before, with Wiseman a joke and Ant-man pretty good but also maybe not a franchise player.

The draft nowadays is pretty dubious. It's hard to tell where really great talent is.

duncan2150
12-04-2021, 07:41 PM
https://twitter.com/ac__hoops/status/1467210440363151364?s=21

How can anyone look at the current Spurs roster or the general state of the NBA and then still want to gamble on non-shooters hoping they’ll improve their shooting over time? This is a no-brainer— go for a shooter like PBJ in the draft with star potential and don’t look back.

I was just going to post his highlights, one of my top choice for next year. The shoot is pure, he will give you size, IQ..

objective
12-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Who really popped out last year? Most of the top picks were iffy with Mobley and Cunningham showing some talent, but probably not franchise-changing talent -- although Mobley is playing well in a team with talent. The best player might have been Scottie Barnes and he dropped. The G-League kiddies were dubious. Same for the year before, with Wiseman a joke and Ant-man pretty good but also maybe not a franchise player.

The draft nowadays is pretty dubious. It's hard to tell where really great talent is.

Just giving my impressions. Mobley might be a franchise player.

Edwards and Ball are the 2 guys I didn't play attention to that year.

This is much earlier than I usually start looking so it's probably unfair, but I'm not viewing Banchero or Holmgren on Mobley's level though I know even he had bad games.

Mr. Body
12-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Just giving my impressions. Mobley might be a franchise player.

Edwards and Ball are the 2 guys I didn't play attention to that year.

This is much earlier than I usually start looking so it's probably unfair, but I'm not viewing Banchero or Holmgren on Mobley's level though I know even he had bad games.

I think Mobley is going to be at least a very good foundation guy. My point is just that there are few franchise guys that are apparently nowadays, players come out so young and undeveloped. Teams are forced to bite on G-League doofuses and guys like Wiseman who hide themselves.

objective
12-04-2021, 09:43 PM
I think Mobley is going to be at least a very good foundation guy. My point is just that there are few franchise guys that are apparently nowadays, players come out so young and undeveloped. Teams are forced to bite on G-League doofuses and guys like Wiseman who hide themselves.

As a contrast, people don't need to see that much from Wembayana or Scoot for the following draft, I think i like both those guys over anyone in this draft

Dejounte
12-07-2021, 12:10 PM
https://youtu.be/q2liRoKn44s

Looks like Keegan started off uncharacteristically slow (likely due to coming back from an injury) and then almost willed his team to victory in the fourth. I hope this guy gets overlooked so that he’s there wherever we pick.

rjv
12-08-2021, 11:54 AM
with the spurs likely falling somewhere between the 4th and 8th pick of the draft, i wonder if they might consider employing the same strategy they did with primo-trying to find a very young player who enters the draft but may still be a year away. this is what they did with primo: grabbed a player that was late lottery material or beyond this past draft but who likely would have been a top five pick in the next. i don't know of any such player but then i had no clue about primo either.

bluebellmaniac
12-08-2021, 02:20 PM
with the spurs likely falling somewhere between the 4th and 8th pick of the draft, i wonder if they might consider employing the same strategy they did with primo-trying to find a very young player who enters the draft but may still be a year away. this is what they did with primo: grabbed a player that was late lottery material or beyond this past draft but who likely would have been a top five pick in the next. i don't know of any such player but then i had no clue about primo either.

We picked 12th for that pick. It was a gamble on a lot of players at that point.

If we have the 4th pick, there wouldn't be a need to do that (in theory, unless there is a very specific player you have in mind). If we have the 8th pick, that would be debatable. In general, really wouldn't want to go that route with still having high caliber players readily available.

BackHome
12-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Well if you want young get Jalen Duran at Center he will only be 18 years old on draft night. But most of the guys in top 10 are all pretty young 19 years old on draft night. You though might see them take a chance on an international player with Detroit’s pick which should be a very early second

duncan2150
12-08-2021, 05:39 PM

If they draft 4 to 8, i don't think they will make a gamble a la primo, a player who is projected far away from their range. They can suprise but i don't think it will be an under the radar type of guy at that range.

ginobilized
12-08-2021, 06:38 PM
Do the Spurs have a 2nd round pick this year?

I don't see this year's squad landing outside of the top 10. Pick 6-8 is where I think they'll land. There should be some very helpful talent available.

KingKev
12-08-2021, 06:46 PM
Do the Spurs have a 2nd round pick this year?

I don't see this year's squad landing outside of the top 10. Pick 6-8 is where I think they'll land. There should be some very helpful talent available.

We have two. Detroit’s via the Wizards and Lakers via the Bulls I believe. That Detroit one will be top 35 likely. Utah owns our original SRP. Austin might be stacked next year lol

I really hope we go for the best player available if we have a top 5 pick. As much as we need a modern 4, best player available makes the most sense for a roster starved of talent.

illusioNtEk
12-08-2021, 06:50 PM
Even if we had the number 1 pick Pop would throw him to the g league anyways

BackHome
12-08-2021, 09:05 PM
We have two. Detroit’s via the Wizards and Lakers via the Bulls I believe. That Detroit one will be top 35 likely. Utah owns our original SRP. Austin might be stacked next year lol

I really hope we go for the best player available if we have a top 5 pick. As much as we need a modern 4, best player available makes the most sense for a roster starved of talent.

The thing I have been praying for is the Spurs somehow get the 3rd pick yeah yeah I know I am dreaming but what is life without Hope. And with that pick it is a not brainer to pick PF Jabari Smith which gives us best player available and definitely a team need for sure.

mo7888
12-08-2021, 09:09 PM
The thing I have been praying for is the Spurs somehow get the 3rd pick yeah yeah I know I am dreaming but what is life without Hope. And with that pick it is a not brainer to pick PF Jabari Smith which gives us best player available and definitely a team need for sure.

I question whether Jabari will still be there at #3.

ginobilized
12-08-2021, 11:19 PM

I concur, thanks for the 2nd round details!

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-14-2021, 02:28 AM
Barely watched him, so a genuine question for people who know better - what makes Patrick Baldwin Jr different compared to Cam Johnson as a prospect? I know he's younger and probably has better handles but from the little I've seen his upside looks worse and worse to me each time.

Not that a Cam Johnson is a bad player type in today's NBA, but a bit underwhelming for a projected high pick.

bluebellmaniac
12-14-2021, 03:06 AM
Wouldn't mind a quality Athletic PF and the next BPA with that Detroit pick. Even if it's another PF. We need solid help there and if Lonnie and Forbes are gone, we'll have room for another guard.

Mr. Body
12-14-2021, 08:33 AM
Barely watched him, so a genuine question for people who know better - what makes Patrick Baldwin Jr different compared to Cam Johnson as a prospect? I know he's younger and probably has better handles but from the little I've seen his upside looks worse and worse to me each time.

Not that a Cam Johnson is a bad player type in today's NBA, but a bit underwhelming for a projected high pick.

I'd slow my roll on Patrick Baldwin. He plays in an unimpressive Horizon League where his team is 2-5. His advanced defensive numbers are bad, although I won't put too much stock in that for a freshman. His shooting percentages are pretty bad -- FG% 36.8, FG3% 32.6.

exstatic
12-14-2021, 08:37 AM

Actually, Cam was projected late first round. When informed of his pick, one of his college teammates blurted out “ Cam was picked in the lottery?” There was some thought that Phoenix meant to draft Keldon, not Cameron. They had mistaken guys with the same last name before, asking for Marshon Brooks, then realizing they wanted Dillon Brooks from Memphis, causing the trade to fall apart at the deadline.

playbonner15
12-14-2021, 09:02 AM
Actually, Cam was projected late first round. When informed of his pick, one of his college teammates blurted out “ Cam was picked in the lottery?” There was some thought that Phoenix meant to draft Keldon, not Cameron. They had mistaken guys with the same last name before, asking for Marshon Brooks, then realizing they wanted Dillon Brooks from Memphis, causing the trade to fall apart at the deadline.

I remember this buzz that Spurs FO was surprised to find that Keldon was still available and apparently Suns drafted Cam Johnson, which was supposed to be Keldon then Spurs FO promptly snatched him at 29th... he was also projected as a 3&D type of player lol.... any basis on this rumor?

exstatic
12-14-2021, 10:13 AM
I remember this buzz that Spurs FO was surprised to find that Keldon was still available and apparently Suns drafted Cam Johnson, which was supposed to be Keldon then Spurs FO promptly snatched him at 29th... he was also projected as a 3&D type of player lol.... any basis on this rumor?

No, not really. Conjecture based on past last name bobbles, plus the surprise of him going 10-12 spots higher than projected. I mean, when your college teammates are surprised that you were a lottery pick…

He was a fifth year senior, and his advanced stats jumped up sharply, but, wouldn’t you expect that from like a 23 YO competing against 18 YOs? He was middle of the road defensively, and rebounded at a low rate, so you can’t give him but spot minutes at the 4. I mean, I don’t hate him, but they probably could have traded down 10 spots, gotten some assets AND Cam Johnson.

Biggems
12-14-2021, 03:14 PM
I saw a mock with us picking Murray in the 1st, Timme at the top of the 2nd, and I can't remember the other player, but I think he was a wing. I thought it was a solid draft. I know Timme absolutely raped the Longhorns earlier this season. He looked like purple and gold Pau Gasol.

Biggems
12-14-2021, 10:52 PM
How would you guys feel about drafting

1- Baldwin Jr. or Murray
2- Timme
2- Shannon Jr.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-15-2021, 08:44 AM
I like Baldwin Jr. in theory but so far he has looked awful (not just stats but his game overall) against competition that isn’t the greatest.

he would’ve most likely benefited from playing at a better school with better teammates but I respect him playing for his father.

it’s still a lot of games to go in the NCAA season so he definitely can turn things around but him along with the university of Memphis big name (Bates & Duren) recruits have really damaged their draft stock with the poor play so far.

BackHome
12-17-2021, 09:01 PM
Yeah Baldwin has been dropping pretty fast and Ivey and the kid from Arizona have both been rising very fast a lot of new mocks have us taking the kid - Bennedict Mathurin a SG/SF from Arizona who is averaging 18pts this season and has a nice outside 3 ball game

Dejounte
12-19-2021, 01:50 PM
https://twitter.com/theboxandone_/status/1472558257260670980?s=21

I don’t care where the Spurs land in the draft. Just get Murray

offset formation
12-19-2021, 02:09 PM
Even if we had the number 1 pick Pop would throw him to the g league anyways

:pop: He'll need to get over himself first.

offset formation
12-19-2021, 02:13 PM
https://twitter.com/theboxandone_/status/1472558257260670980?s=21

I don’t care where the Spurs land in the draft. Just get Murray

Yes I like that kid a bunch. I think he's talented enough to draft over need first. Spurs are in desperate need of a 3 first, and then a 4 and 5. But you absolutely take that kid if you can and figure out what you can get for Poeltl and KJ afterwards.

pad300
12-19-2021, 06:18 PM
Yes I like that kid a bunch. I think he's talented enough to draft over need first. Spurs are in desperate need of a 3 first, and then a 4 and 5. But you absolutely take that kid if you can and figure out what you can get for Poeltl and KJ afterwards.

I completely disagree with you here. IMO, the biggest hole in the lineup is at 4. We have no one on the team who's got starter level skills and is physically comfortable as a 4. The next priority is a 3 (and then 5, 1 and 2 in that order).

KingKev
12-19-2021, 08:47 PM
I completely disagree with you here. IMO, the biggest hole in the lineup is at 4. We have no one on the team who's got starter level skills and is physically comfortable as a 4. The next priority is a 3 (and then 5, 1 and 2 in that order).

Yeah I agree with you. Keldon and Vassell can play the 3 but they are absolutely not 4s. This draft has multiple guys who fit the mold of what we need which is a long 4 who can stretch the floor and offer some versatility on the defensive end.

Russ
12-19-2021, 09:18 PM
Yeah I agree with you. Keldon and Vassell can play the 3 but they are absolutely not 4s. This draft has multiple guys who fit the mold of what we need which is a long 4 who can stretch the floor and offer some versatility on the defensive end.

There are actually three guys who fit the bill in this year's draft -- high-upside bigs who can play and defend the 4. Jabari Smith, Paolo Banchero and Chet Holmgren.

If the Spurs remain in their current position, they would seem to have a decent shot at landing one of them.

bluebellmaniac
12-19-2021, 09:21 PM
An Athletic 4 would be awesome.

offset formation
12-20-2021, 02:22 AM

It really depends on what they're likely to do with and play KJ. If they give him an extension, it's likely gonna be at the 4. They pretty much play him exclusively as a 4 and even occasionally as a small ball 5. If that's the case then you've got to have another 3 and D besides Vassell. A good caliber team needs at least 2 of those guys. That said, I completely agree KJ is NOT a 4 except for his mass. But he's clearly too slow to man up the game's better SFs. He's a 3 and 4 offensively (but not defensively). And increasingly so as his 3pt% settles in as a very efficient shooter.

I'd be comfortable with a 3, 4, or 5 probably but it really depends on their future plans for KJ. It seems they don't know how yo play him since he's a tweener.

duncan2150
12-20-2021, 05:32 AM
A guy who is climbing the boards is Kendall Brown from Baylor.

An athletic wing who almost scores on dunks or layups ( only 0.8 3PA per game), a very good defender who is also a good passer.

6'8 with a 6'11 wingspan 205 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9Gu3J9SIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezFdB6FEcs

JeffDuncan
12-20-2021, 08:30 AM

An athletic wing who almost scores …

Sounds like a perfect fit with all our other guys who can almost score.

But I hope that’s a typo.

duncan2150
12-21-2021, 04:28 PM

An athletic wing who almost scores on dunks or layups ( only 0.8 3PA per game), a very good defender who is also a good passer.

6'8 with a 6'11 wingspan 205 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezFdB6FEcs

Really want to know what people think about the fit of that kind of player in our team , long athletic wing who defends well but rarely shoots...

Imo he is a reallgy intriguing prospect who can fill the hole in that 3/4 spot but going almost in the paint is a concern,

exstatic
12-21-2021, 05:30 PM
Really want to know what people think about the fit of that kind of player in our team , long athletic wing who defends well but rarely shoots...

Imo he is a reallgy intriguing prospect who can fill the hole in that 3/4 spot but going almost in the paint is a concern,

That’s the type of player that you use a SRP on. You cannot waste a FRP on a one way player, let alone a lottery pick.

duncan2150
12-21-2021, 08:21 PM
That’s the type of player that you use a SRP on. You cannot waste a FRP on a one way player, let alone a lottery pick.

if you talk about one way on offense maybe but he will probably be a lottery pick because of his athletism, defense, passing skills...

Talking about SRP is not accurate for him imo

The Truth #6
12-21-2021, 08:29 PM
If he can’t create his own shot, then it seems hard to see him going top 10, speaking in generalities. His shooting form looked ok from that one three point attempt I saw. But I could see him mid to late first round. But if a team sees an underutilized offensive game, then who knows. The details matter, as the Primo pick showed.

duncan2150
12-21-2021, 08:54 PM
If he can’t create his own shot, then it seems hard to see him going top 10, speaking in generalities. His shooting form looked ok from that one three point attempt I saw. But I could see him mid to late first round. But if a team sees an underutilized offensive game, then who knows. The details matter, as the Primo pick showed.

I tend to agree with you in general, that's a good question because he seems to exceed the concern ( he is a top 10-15 player in a lot of mocks now) about his raw offense with the way he plays in transition, his passing or Ballhandling Skills, Defense....

BackHome
12-22-2021, 01:45 AM
I like the kid he I believe was a 5 star recruit and he is a true Freshman he definitely has lottery hops and he does seem to have a high ball IQ - I think he could be a decent 3 pointer but one thing is that he doesn’t get a lot of rebounds and he is a true SF - But like I said I like his game and Tankathon has us taking him at 6 which is one of the better mocks that are out there. Yeah, we don’t need another SF but hopefully will get the third draft pick where we can get our PF we desperately need.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-23-2021, 03:45 AM
I've changed my views a bit in the last few weeks.

Banchero - does a lot of things well but does he have an elite NBA skill yet? Jumper is good, knows where to be on defense, rebounds, etc. He's a very good player but something seems a bit off for me. A Julius Randle type?
Holmgren - still high on him but I see him strictly as a 5, not a 4. Defense is legit but his J looks a bit slow and mechanical. I can see the comparisons to Mobley, but Mobley's stronger and more fluid.
Jabari Smith - my number 1 right now, although I hope to see him go in the post more often than settling for jumpers. He has that LMA turnaround over the shoulder mid range J that's unguardable.
Jaden Ivey - definitely tier 1 imo. Major Ja Morant vibes, so quick and crafty. Even his shooting looks good.

Jalen Duren - much lower on him. He's a good rim protector and runner but his defensive switchability is suspect, seems slow footed. Hasn't shown anything with his J too and also looks shorter than advertised.
Baldwin Jr - another player I'm lower on. Drifts a lot, doesn't attack the rim at all, it's all jump shots all the time. While the J is smooth I don't see any other good skills. A Cam Johnson type unless he shows more.
Jaden Hardy - poor man's Primo lol. Has the pedigree and tools to figure it out eventually but g-league seems a level above for him right now.
Kendall Brown - what an athlete this dude is! His passing seems quite good too and if you believe in his J he could definitely go into tier 1. A lot of Aaron Gordon in him.
Ben Mathurin - he's a bucket getter and everything he does will likely easily translate to the NBA.
AJ Griffin - difficult to evaluate him because he doesn't play much but maybe in the Primo school of 'draft him early because he'd be a top 5 pick if he'd stay in college another year' ( which he won't ).
Keegan Murray - another player I find difficult to evaluate. Obviously his numbers are awesome, but he's older and his J is suspect.
JD Davison - a lot to like about him, his athleticism is special and he's a statsheet stuffer. As with many other players it's all about the J coming along well.
TyTy Washington - could see him as a Cole Anthony type of scorer, maybe even better.
Caleb Houstan - started off very slowly but progressing well as of late. I think he'll be a very good role player and perhaps one of those guys who'd be better at the NBA level than college.
Kennedy Chandler - despite of his raw numbers I don't like him much. Every time he plays against a decent team his numbers drop significantly.

There are a lot of players I like that could realistically fall to pick 31 - from scorers like Johnny Davis, Harrison Ingram, Julian Champagnie and Bryce McGowans to raw (and terrible right now) talents like Peyton Watson, Daimion Collins and Jeremy Sochan and also players who'd probably be projected to go way higher had they not been injured (Allen Flanningan) or were allowed to play more (Nolan Hickman, Hunter Sallis). Also a decent crop of draft and stash european guys like Roko Prkacin, Yannick Nzosa, Ousmane Dieng, Tristan Vukcevic and Nikola Jovic.

Some players I don't like at all - Max Christie, Trevor Keels, Jabari Walker, Jean Montero, Drew Timme, Caleb Love, Marcus Bagley and the aforementioned Kennedy Chandler.

duncan2150
12-23-2021, 05:40 PM
I've changed my views a bit in the last few weeks.

Banchero - does a lot of things well but does he have an elite NBA skill yet? Jumper is good, knows where to be on defense, rebounds, etc. He's a very good player but something seems a bit off for me. A Julius Randle type?
Holmgren - still high on him but I see him strictly as a 5, not a 4. Defense is legit but his J looks a bit slow and mechanical. I can see the comparisons to Mobley, but Mobley's stronger and more fluid.
Jabari Smith - my number 1 right now, although I hope to see him go in the post more often than settling for jumpers. He has that LMA turnaround over the shoulder mid range J that's unguardable.
Jaden Ivey - definitely tier 1 imo. Major Ja Morant vibes, so quick and crafty. Even his shooting looks good.

Jalen Duren - much lower on him. He's a good rim protector and runner but his defensive switchability is suspect, seems slow footed. Hasn't shown anything with his J too and also looks shorter than advertised.
Baldwin Jr - another player I'm lower on. Drifts a lot, doesn't attack the rim at all, it's all jump shots all the time. While the J is smooth I don't see any other good skills. A Cam Johnson type unless he shows more.
Jaden Hardy - poor man's Primo lol. Has the pedigree and tools to figure it out eventually but g-league seems a level above for him right now.
Kendall Brown - what an athlete this dude is! His passing seems quite good too and if you believe in his J he could definitely go into tier 1. A lot of Aaron Gordon in him.
Ben Mathurin - he's a bucket getter and everything he does will likely easily translate to the NBA.
AJ Griffin - difficult to evaluate him because he doesn't play much but maybe in the Primo school of 'draft him early because he'd be a top 5 pick if he'd stay in college another year' ( which he won't ).
Keegan Murray - another player I find difficult to evaluate. Obviously his numbers are awesome, but he's older and his J is suspect.
JD Davison - a lot to like about him, his athleticism is special and he's a statsheet stuffer. As with many other players it's all about the J coming along well.
TyTy Washington - could see him as a Cole Anthony type of scorer, maybe even better.
Caleb Houstan - started off very slowly but progressing well as of late. I think he'll be a very good role player and perhaps one of those guys who'd be better at the NBA level than college.
Kennedy Chandler - despite of his raw numbers I don't like him much. Every time he plays against a decent team his numbers drop significantly.

There are a lot of players I like that could realistically fall to pick 31 - from scorers like Johnny Davis, Harrison Ingram, Julian Champagnie and Bryce McGowans to raw (and terrible right now) talents like Peyton Watson, Daimion Collins and Jeremy Sochan and also players who'd probably be projected to go way higher had they not been injured (Allen Flanningan) or were allowed to play more (Nolan Hickman, Hunter Sallis). Also a decent crop of draft and stash european guys like Roko Prkacin, Yannick Nzosa, Ousmane Dieng, Tristan Vukcevic and Nikola Jovic.

Some players I don't like at all - Max Christie, Trevor Keels, Jabari Walker, Jean Montero, Drew Timme, Caleb Love, Marcus Bagley and the aforementioned Kennedy Chandler.

Nice work BG

I agree with your tier 1 and the majority of your comments. Imo Banchero is playing it cool because he is dominating physically, he'll need to be more aggressive to succeed in the NBA but he's the more nba ready for me.
Jabari Smith would be the perfect fit.

About your tier 2 ( i have nearly the same), guys i like basing on the fact that we need a forward are :

Kendall Brown, i start to really like him, elite athlete, he flies, maybe the best wing defender of this class, can pass and drive. The J is still unknow tough he hits 50% of his 3 pointer on a low volume.

Baldwin. For the moment, i think playing in Milwaukee ( plus a little injury) are the reason why he looks so irregular. His team is so bad, he is doing too much and i don't think that's his game.

Keegan Murray. His age is a question mark but i think he could be a good fit as a late lottery. Can do a little bit of everything, the 3's are low % but he his an +80% Ft shooters so that's not a concern for me.

Aj Griffin could be the dark horse ( Houstan also)

for your last group, i think Johnny Davis will be a first pick, he's really good with Wisconsin. I like his profile but he's a SG :)

BackHome
12-23-2021, 08:56 PM
I agree the best thing to hope for would be to get Smith as he fits a need and fits as far as tier 1 talent. After him is Ivey and no one is even close though I would hate to draft another SG but I think that kid is going to be special. After him it’s tough but I would go with Brown watching him you can tell he is a baller and looks so smooth only thing he needs to work on is his rebounding and shooting more 3 balls. I need to watch Ben more but he definitely is moving up in a lot of mock drafts

You know from looking at the draft I really think we have a very good chance to find another diamond in the rough with Detroit’s 31 pick. They are a couple of SG/SF that I think have a legitimate chance of not only making team but maybe even starting depending on how things work out - Tari Eason from LSU and Peyton Watson from UCLA are just a few that may be available

Dejounte
12-25-2021, 11:49 PM
https://youtu.be/9QMbSsTEVUA

oh man, i REALLY like this guy’s game. Been closely following the draft for several years and it’s rare to find a prospect who has an old school back-to-the-basket game as a wing AND shoots threes and plays defense. This guy is sky rocketing my board. Not sure he’ll be a top 10 pick but if the Spurs are drafting mid-lottery or later, I hope it’s for this guy. He’s a bit on the older side so I wonder if they (the Spurs) change their approach of drafting super young from last year. Methinks since Liddell has a unique skillset that he might be a Spurs’ target.

Dejounte
12-25-2021, 11:58 PM
https://youtu.be/bBuZINkxFTY

Monster blocks

looking like Paul Pierce

im calling it now like I did with Franz, Giddey, and others last year

this guy will rise the board from his currently late first round pick projection. Likely not too high because people will foolishly look at his age

BackHome
12-26-2021, 07:42 PM
They grow up so fast Tari Eason who I thought we could grab in the second round has shot up in the draft and now looks like will go mid to late first.
For me starting to look at second roundeds:

Detroit’s Pick:
Hugo Benson PG/SG - Offensive and great 3 ball
Marjon Beauchamp - SG - Good players solid defender needs to improve 3 ball though

Wendell Moore - SF - Good player can do everything on offense
Peyton Watson - SF - Has a lot of potential is a Freshman stuck behind some good players can definitely play defensive

Ismael Kamagate - C - Has potential I like as a big he is always moving

Lakers Pick:
Drew Timme - PF/C - Good player has a nice feel for game and good handles for a big high IQ
Trace Jackson Davis -PF - A big traditional PF but is pretty athletic great defender

exstatic
12-26-2021, 09:31 PM
Last time I looked, Lakers pick was #44. :lol

BackHome
12-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I am really hoping Le China gets Covid or has a little injury so our draft pick will go up to late 30's or early 40's. Right now I think we are going to pick any where from 6 to 12 in the first. But they are a lot of good players that will be available in the second round so hoping we get two potential starters and a solid bench player from this upcoming draft.....

duncan2150
12-27-2021, 02:50 PM
https://youtu.be/9QMbSsTEVUA

oh man, i REALLY like this guy’s game. Been closely following the draft for several years and it’s rare to find a prospect who has an old school back-to-the-basket game as a wing AND shoots threes and plays defense. This guy is sky rocketing my board. Not sure he’ll be a top 10 pick but if the Spurs are drafting mid-lottery or later, I hope it’s for this guy. He’s a bit on the older side so I wonder if they (the Spurs) change their approach of drafting super young from last year. Methinks since Liddell has a unique skillset that he might be a Spurs’ target.

I like Liddel, he's talented but i think he is a little bit similar to Keldon. Don't know if you can pair them, maybe.

What do you think of Kendall Brown ? i showed some of his clips a few days ago.

Dejounte
12-27-2021, 03:35 PM
I like Liddel, he's talented but i think he is a little bit similar to Keldon. Don't know if you can pair them, maybe.

What do you think of Kendall Brown ? i showed some of his clips a few days ago.

Keldon doesn’t have the mid range game that Liddell does. Although since I last posted about Liddell, I’ve cooled down on him. He’s actually played as a PF and C in college and I didn’t realize it at all. Wonder now if he has the lateral quickness to keep up with wings.

my initial impression of Kendall was that he reminds me of Otto Porter Jr. i could be way off, but I’m just not impressed right now.

duncan2150
12-27-2021, 07:04 PM
Keldon doesn’t have the mid range game that Liddell does. Although since I last posted about Liddell, I’ve cooled down on him. He’s actually played as a PF and C in college and I didn’t realize it at all. Wonder now if he has the lateral quickness to keep up with wings.

my initial impression of Kendall was that he reminds me of Otto Porter Jr. i could be way off, but I’m just not impressed right now.

Agreed about Liddell.

About Brown he's the opposite of Porter on the offensive end ( porter was good at mid range and 3 pt at Georgetown, Brown operates near the basket ), they are both good defender and have a good length but Brown is an elite athlet, not porter.

BackHome
12-27-2021, 09:40 PM
Hey Dejounte curious on your thoughts on Hugo Benson- My thoughts on he has a very nice 3 ball and gives us another ball handler for the second unit in case Whites feet and though I like Tre he still not showing the 3 ball

Also, your thoughts on Trace Davis -He is I think a legit 6'10 PF - who could play small ball center a very good defender who would fit with Landale in the second unit also.

buttsR4rebounding
12-28-2021, 01:52 PM
If he comes out this year I think John Butler from FSU would be an interesting 2nd round pick. Similar to Poku; 7'1" w/ a 7'4" wingspan but 200 lbs soaking wet. Excellent handles and passing ability, 3 pt range. Gets good defensive position in space to use his size. He was a coach's son. Whataburger could make him a force.

cd98
12-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Do we agree that Spurs will be picking in 11-14 range again this year?

KingKev
12-28-2021, 02:18 PM

DJ or Jak go out for a few weeks or more and we are easily top 5 lottery.

BackHome
12-28-2021, 03:23 PM
To be honest it could go either way one but barring injury or covid outbreak I think we’re looking at 10 to 12. But we have so far avoided a lot of injuries and covid outbreaks that most teams are dealing with right now. Knowing our luck will make the play in and just as it starts half our team will get hit with Covid.

T Park
12-28-2021, 10:52 PM
Last time I looked, Lakers pick was #44. :lol

What’s funnier, could get better

TD 21
12-29-2021, 06:32 PM
Baldwin Jr. is like a walking Spurs stereotype (the look/background, the supposed personality/high basketball IQ) and on top of that his body type and theoretical skillset would seemingly be hand in glove fits too.

Hopefully he continues to struggle to a certain extent, thereby increasing the odds that he ends up in their probable range.

If they luck into the 1st pick, I'd probably go Banchero at this point given the need for an offensive centerpiece.

Dejounte
12-31-2021, 09:18 AM
Hey Dejounte curious on your thoughts on Hugo Benson- My thoughts on he has a very nice 3 ball and gives us another ball handler for the second unit in case Whites feet and though I like Tre he still not showing the 3 ball

Also, your thoughts on Trace Davis -He is I think a legit 6'10 PF - who could play small ball center a very good defender who would fit with Landale in the second unit also.

Besson reminds me of Austin Reaves from last year. I actually think Austin looked better. As a second round pick, it’s a crapshoot so you get any talent you can get and on some level, they have to exhibit an NBA floor and maybe Besson looks like that, maybe he doesn’t. He looks like he would get abused on defense.

Trayce is a fine pick if you’re looking to add center depth. I get that we want to get bigger with our front court line ups but I really don’t think people understand that Landale can’t play the four. Not only because he doesn’t have the agility to defend the perimeter for long stretches, but if you’re going to pair him with a guy like Trayce who HAS to play inside because he can’t shoot… then you have Landale who has to act like a modern four and move, move, move on the perimeter, past screens, getting open, etc… that would take a physical toll on Landale, a type of role he’s not accustomed to. Yes, he gets open right now as a spot up shooting Center, but he doesn’t put in much effort to get open right now because his matchup is a center and Landale only goes out on the perimeter when his matchup isn’t paying attention or doubles up on somebody else.

CGD
12-31-2021, 09:28 AM

Seems right if thing hold.

I’d be curious to see who the youngest player in the draft is this year. Could see the spurs doing another red shirt/Primo move, on a kid who would go a lot higher in the subsequent draft.

Dejounte
12-31-2021, 09:30 AM
https://youtu.be/HN2odTK2aI0

It’s getting difficult to look at lottery prospects given the low but increasing chance the Spurs make the playoffs and end up with a 15th or lower pick. On one hand, if they do the playoffs, that must mean other players aside from Murray stepped up their level of play and increased their trade value. On the other hand, it’s a lower pick. Well, if someone raised their trade value enough to attach with the Spurs’ FRP, they could move up and attain either Baldwin Jr or Keegan Murray. That would be a dream.

On that same note, if they do make the playoffs, then that must mean someone else on the team would have established himself as a foundational piece (think Keldon increasing his scoring output and showing us he can be counted on for a bucket). That would make everybody excited.

It’s all unlikely, especially with COVID, and maybe the Spurs end up between #8 to #12 like some expected. And in that range, I hope we get a chance to draft one of those two prospects I mentioned.

Dejounte
12-31-2021, 09:39 AM
Seems right if thing hold.

I’d be curious to see who the youngest player in the draft is this year. Could see the spurs doing another red shirt/Primo move, on a kid who would go a lot higher in the subsequent draft.

I agree with this to a certain extent. I don’t think the prospect HAS to be the youngest player in the draft like Primo was. I think the main thing is that the player the Spurs target could be someone who doesn’t have the role in college to showcase their skills. It may mean that all these videos on prospects are useless and we have to pay extremely close attention to reports of guys who do pre-draft workouts with the Spurs and guys who flash elite skill during the combine games of which weren’t displayed during college.

BackHome
12-31-2021, 02:42 PM
Thanks Dejounte for responding this draft is really funny for me a lot of potential as far as players but have to dig through the weeds to find that complete player.

I will say this if we don’t draft in the top 3 then I am almost 85% certain that we take a SG or SF - This draft is really weak when it comes to PF and C after the 3rd pick. This sucks for us as PF is a real need and if we do draft in the 10 to 13 range I don’t see anyone that is either a bench player or potential aka Luka. I do think that with our 3 picks will find Walkers and Forbes replacement which is what I look for each draft coming away with a player that is better then a starter or depending on where we draft better then bench player just getting better talent every year

duncan2150
12-31-2021, 10:27 PM
https://youtu.be/HN2odTK2aI0

It’s getting difficult to look at lottery prospects given the low but increasing chance the Spurs make the playoffs and end up with a 15th or lower pick. On one hand, if they do the playoffs, that must mean other players aside from Murray stepped up their level of play and increased their trade value. On the other hand, it’s a lower pick. Well, if someone raised their trade value enough to attach with the Spurs’ FRP, they could move up and attain either Baldwin Jr or Keegan Murray. That would be a dream.

On that same note, if they do make the playoffs, then that must mean someone else on the team would have established himself as a foundational piece (think Keldon increasing his scoring output and showing us he can be counted on for a bucket). That would make everybody excited.

It’s all unlikely, especially with COVID, and maybe the Spurs end up between #8 to #12 like some expected. And in that range, I hope we get a chance to draft one of those two prospects I mentioned.

I agree with you

About Keegan i saw that tweet a few days ago and that scares me a little bit. We'll see as the season goes, with the tournament....

https://twitter.com/TheBoxAndOne_/status/1476547396796571651

BackHome
12-31-2021, 10:34 PM
One thing I have done lately is look into how draft picks play against good teams - If you look at stats they look good but then you see a player who averages 10 rebounds had like 25 against a team that has a loosing record for that last 20 years..lol

As far as Keegan I think he will be a good player he does a little bit of everything if he was two inches taller he would probably be a top 5 player. I think he could go anywhere from 8 to 16 just depends on how teams look at his age and his fit for them

duncan2150
12-31-2021, 10:36 PM
Thanks Dejounte for responding this draft is really funny for me a lot of potential as far as players but have to dig through the weeds to find that complete player.

I will say this if we don’t draft in the top 3 then I am almost 85% certain that we take a SG or SF - This draft is really weak when it comes to PF and C after the 3rd pick. This sucks for us as PF is a real need and if we do draft in the 10 to 13 range I don’t see anyone that is either a bench player or potential aka Luka. I do think that with our 3 picks will find Walkers and Forbes replacement which is what I look for each draft coming away with a player that is better then a starter or depending on where we draft better then bench player just getting better talent every year

If we are late lottery i think some 3/4 like Tari Eason from LSU, Nikola Jovic( potential) or Aj Griffin( more a true SF imo) could be in the mix. Overall you're right the are not a lot of PF/C after the top picks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we8xxvVfhSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ra_n7OnaJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eae8LgluToc

duncan2150
12-31-2021, 10:38 PM
One thing I have done lately is look into how draft picks play against good teams - If you look at stats they look good but then you see a player who averages 10 rebounds had like 25 against a team that has a loosing record for that last 20 years..lol

As far as Keegan I think he will be a good player he does a little bit of everything if he was two inches taller he would probably be a top 5 player. I think he could go anywhere from 8 to 16 just depends on how teams look at his age and his fit for them

Totally and the fact that he's 21 yrs old is also a little concern. Overall i think he could be good in the league but we need to see more of him against big teams.

BackHome
12-31-2021, 10:54 PM
If we are late lottery i think some 3/4 like Tari Eason from LSU, Nikola Jovic( potential) or Aj Griffin( more a true SF imo) could be in the mix. Overall you're right the are not a lot of PF/C after the top picks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we8xxvVfhSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ra_n7OnaJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eae8LgluToc

It's crazy how players can move up and down the draft a few weeks ago Tari Eason was a second rounder on almost every board now i have seen him move up to 16 in the first. I was really looking at him as a second and he reminds me of Brown who I think will be a top 8 pick but I think Eason is a better defender. And when I say better defender I think he will be an elite defender in the NBA.

As far as Jovic I am a little torn on how Luka turned out -but I do like that he is a point type of player

Griffin was looking like a mid to late first rounder and I even saw him in the second rounds in a couple of mocks. But his last few games Duke has been giving him more minutes and he is responding if he continues I think he will jump right back in top 10

Dejounte
01-01-2022, 12:04 AM
It's crazy how players can move up and down the draft a few weeks ago Tari Eason was a second rounder on almost every board now i have seen him move up to 16 in the first. I was really looking at him as a second and he reminds me of Brown who I think will be a top 8 pick but I think Eason is a better defender. And when I say better defender I think he will be an elite defender in the NBA.

As far as Jovic I am a little torn on how Luka turned out -but I do like that he is a point type of player

Griffin was looking like a mid to late first rounder and I even saw him in the second rounds in a couple of mocks. But his last few games Duke has been giving him more minutes and he is responding if he continues I think he will jump right back in top 10

I haven’t watched much Jovic because like you, I’m traumatized by the Luka experience. However, my first impression is that Jovic has natural ball handling capabilities whereas Luka always looked like a big man trying to show off his crossover moves he learned from YouTube.

KingKev
01-02-2022, 01:55 AM
I really hope the Spurs keep it simple with this pick and get too fancy.

BatManu20
01-02-2022, 08:24 AM
Spurs should be tanking hard for that top pick right now so they can draft this kid. Easily the best prospect in this draft imo and will change whatever franchise he’s drafted by.

8yN5LvyyzEE

Dejounte
01-02-2022, 08:40 AM
IMO,
1. Banchero
2. Baldwin Jr.
3. Jaden Ivey
4. Keegan Murray
5. EJ Liddell

Focused on shot creation here and on players who look like they can carry an offense without fading into the background. Other prospects don’t really standout in this area.

BackHome
01-02-2022, 12:46 PM
I would replace Baldwin with Bennedict Mathurin and AJ. Griffin. Out of those two Griffin is younger but Bennedict gets you points all over and rebounds at a high rate. To me Baldwin is a 3 an D player not impressed so far - But Smith is my DREAM.........:)

duncan2150
01-02-2022, 01:30 PM
Spurs should be tanking hard for that top pick right now so they can draft this kid. Easily the best prospect in this draft imo and will change whatever franchise he’s drafted by.

8yN5LvyyzEE

Really like himn i also think he's the best fit with Banchero if we talk about top picks. But i hope he'll go more inside, actually he is playing pretty exclusively on the perimeter.

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-02-2022, 01:59 PM
Does anybody else see (less skilled) Michael Beasley when looking at how Banchero plays?

of course what got mostly in Beasley’s way was his work ethic and loving to smoke a bit too much. Lol. He wasn’t a bad NBA player, just underwhelming for where he was picked In the draft.

duncan2150
01-02-2022, 03:30 PM
Does anybody else see (less skilled) Michael Beasley when looking at how Banchero plays?

of course what got mostly in Beasley’s way was his work ethic and loving to smoke a bit too much. Lol. He wasn’t a bad NBA player, just underwhelming for where he was picked In the draft.

Banchero is bigger, his background is solid. Beasley was killing it back in the days , Banchero is more poised imo. I also think he's more complete than Beas, better passer. They have some similarities as SF/PF, playing with their strenght.

But overall Beas was better offensively.

I would replace Baldwin with Bennedict Mathurin and AJ. Griffin. Out of those two Griffin is younger but Bennedict gets you points all over and rebounds at a high rate. To me Baldwin is a 3 an D player not impressed so far - But Smith is my DREAM.........:)

Mathurin looks solid, do you think he is strickly a SG ? imo he can play SG and SF and maybe PF one day if he gains some lbs.

TD 21
01-02-2022, 06:45 PM
The obvious Banchero comp is Randle or a less athletic prime Griffin. Smith will likely be more malleable given the probability of his being a better shooter/defender, but for a team in dire need of an offensive centerpiece the former makes more sense.

Dejounte
01-04-2022, 10:22 PM
https://youtu.be/31-Yp-V4ttw

I don’t think people understand how historic Keegan’s season is IF he keeps it up

He’s having a better college season than Durant did. Think about that for a second.

His PER and WS/40 is in the territory of all-time NBA greats. Not kidding. Look it up.

Chinook
01-04-2022, 11:38 PM
So I am not really into college scouting, but I did like what I've seen from Tari Eason. He feels like an upgraded KBD, and that's the kind of player that can make a Johnson/Poeltl pairing work. I don't know if I'd consider any of the young vets on the team as a legit core, but looking at Murray, White/Vassell, Johnson and Poeltl as the assumed starting four in a couple of years, they need a guy to compliment them. By all means, if a BerPA is available, go with that. But I wouldn't be against reaching for Eason pretty high up there.

BatManu20
01-05-2022, 02:47 PM

I don’t think people understand how historic Keegan’s season is IF he keeps it up

He’s having a better college season than Durant did. Think about that for a second.

His PER and WS/40 is in the territory of all-time NBA greats. Not kidding. Look it up.

Latest BR Mock Draft has us taking him at 8. I personally hope we get a top-5 pick so we can select one of the blue chip prospects. But this kid is definitely intriguing. Kind of cerebral and not very athletic, but is a smart, skilled, high IQ player. Seems like Spurs material.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2951965-2022-nba-mock-draft-a-new-no-1-pick-and-full-2-round-predictions.amp.html

TD 21
01-05-2022, 06:16 PM

Looking into him some more, he also fits the Spurs stereotype.

If the Baldwin Jr. comparison is Cam Johnson, his is probably Patrick Williams, who the Spurs supposedly badly wanted in '20.

rascal
01-05-2022, 06:33 PM
Why do people want the Spurs to get unathletic players?

I want athleticism and exciting players on the Spurs. It's time to move away from the unathletic targets.

duncan2150
01-05-2022, 06:40 PM
Why do people want the Spurs to get unathletic players?

I want athleticism and exciting players on the Spurs. It's time to move away from the unathletic targets.

I think you used the bad word, maybe you want an explosive player or an elite athlet but murray is not an unathletic player.

BackHome
01-05-2022, 11:06 PM
I will say this if we don’t get a top 10 pick in this draft when we do pick we’re really going to have to reach to me there is a serious drop off in talent after 10th pick. We’re definitely talking G League for two years type of player

BatManu20
01-06-2022, 02:04 AM
I will say this if we don’t get a top 10 pick in this draft when we do pick we’re really going to have to reach to me there is a serious drop off in talent after 10th pick. We’re definitely talking G League for two years type of player

There’s a serious drop off in talent after the 8th pick tbh. And Spurs ain’t getting a top-5 pick cause they’re too proud to tank (even though tanking is literally the only reason this franchise is even relevant in the first place).

They’ll be selecting around the 10th pick again this year and likely peddling in mediocrity for years to come tbh. Depressing shit but it is what it is.

duncan2150
01-06-2022, 02:55 AM
There’s a serious drop off in talent after the 8th pick tbh. And Spurs ain’t getting a top-5 pick cause they’re too proud to tank (even though tanking is literally the only reason this franchise is even relevant in the first place).

They’ll be selecting around the 10th pick again this year and likely peddling in mediocrity for years to come tbh. Depressing shit but it is what it is.

I don't know how you can say that. I really don't think there's a drop off after 8 maybe after the first 3-4( ivey banchero smith and holmgren).

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-06-2022, 03:05 AM
I don't know how you can say that. I really don't think there's a drop off after 8 maybe after the first 3-4( ivey banchero smith and holmgren).

I agree. Huge drop off after 4. But then - Brown, Duren, Hardy, Mathurin, Griffin, Baldwin Jr, Murray, Davis, maybe even add Washington and Houstan to this tier. I don't see much between these currently. I also expect Jeremy Sochan and Tari Eason to end up rising to this group as well. Peyton Watson too, if he could actually hit a shot or two.

duncan2150
01-06-2022, 06:04 AM
I agree. Huge drop off after 4. But then - Brown, Duren, Hardy, Mathurin, Griffin, Baldwin Jr, Murray, Davis, maybe even add Washington and Houstan to this tier. I don't see much between these currently. I also expect Jeremy Sochan and Tari Eason to end up rising to this group as well. Peyton Watson too, if he could actually hit a shot or two.

Totally agree with your list, there's a big group of good prospects after the top 4.

exstatic
01-06-2022, 09:05 AM

You don’t have to tank to get into the top 4, just get the right bounce on the ping pong balls. This team is wildly inconsistent, and I do not believe they can make the play in. Even one or two players out in protocols radically changes our fortunes. If we can stay in the top 7 picks, the WORST odds of jumping into the top 4 are 1/3.

spurspl
01-06-2022, 12:10 PM
You don’t have to tank to get into the top 4, just get the right bounce on the ping pong balls. This team is wildly inconsistent, and I do not believe they can make the play in. Even one or two players out in protocols radically changes our fortunes. If we can stay in the top 7 picks, the WORST odds of jumping into the top 4 are 1/3.

shitty thinking...if aint gonna make playoffs u tank. If u are 7th worst team u have 7,5% chance of receiving 1st pick, if u are one of the 3 worst team u have 14 %. Thats TWICE the chances. Whats more if u are 7th worst team its much nore likely u drop down than raise up. Theres literally no benefit from being a mediocre team.

exstatic
01-06-2022, 12:36 PM
shitty thinking...if aint gonna make playoffs u tank. If u are 7th worst team u have 7,5% chance of receiving 1st pick, if u are one of the 3 worst team u have 14 %. Thats TWICE the chances. Whats more if u are 7th worst team its much nore likely u drop down than raise up. Theres literally no benefit from being a mediocre team.

We were talking about top4, not first overall. Everything I said was completely valid. Finishing #7 gets you 32.9% into the top 4 picks. That’s where the cheddar is.

You can get bumped out of the top4, too. Happened to two teams last year, and 6 or 7 of the combined 8 top4 teams in the first two revised drafts. Tanking doesn't have nearly the value that it did before the lottery changes.

spurspl
01-06-2022, 01:35 PM
We were talking about top4, not first overall. Everything I said was completely valid. Finishing #7 gets you 32.9% into the top 4 picks. That’s where the cheddar is.

You can get bumped out of the top4, too. Happened to two teams last year, and 6 or 7 of the combined 8 top4 teams in the first two revised drafts. Tanking doesn't have nearly the value that it did before the lottery changes.

for a team which doesnt have a franchise player like spurs the main goal should be to maximize their chances of getting 1st pick not 30% of 4th...sure, value dropped but its still worth to tank

BatManu20
01-06-2022, 01:50 PM
for a team which doesnt have a franchise player like spurs the main goal should be to maximize their chances of getting 1st pick not 30% of 4th...sure, value dropped but its still worth to tank

Completely agree. Tanking obviously isn’t a guarantee, but it significantly increases your chances at top-4 pick, something this franchise desperately needs. Selecting 7-12 usually gets you a role player. Of course there are exceptions to this (Kawhi, Giannis, etc.), but this is usually the norm. And in a season where the Spurs are clearly nowhere near contending for anything, it makes no sense to finish with the 10th pic or somewhere around there.

This front office should know better by now. They’re literally only relevant because they tanked twice and were rewarded David Robinson and Tim Duncan for it. But no, they’re so caught up in their own ego and Pop’s record that they don’t give a shit.

BatManu20
01-06-2022, 02:00 PM

This team is just good enough to potentially make the play-in but not bad enough to warrant a top-4 pick without an incredibly lucky bounce of the lottery ball. So long as DJ is healthy, I don’t see any way that this team gets a top-4 pick without some incredible luck. Losing games is the best thing that can happen to this franchise right now, particularly this season where we’re nowhere near contending for anything other than a potential chance to get swept in the 1st Round of the Playoffs.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-06-2022, 02:10 PM
This team is just good enough to potentially make the play-in but not bad enough to warrant a top-4 pick without an incredibly lucky bounce of the lottery ball. So long as DJ is healthy, I don’t see any way that this team gets a top-4 pick without some incredible luck. Losing games is the best thing that can happen to this franchise right now, particularly this season where we’re nowhere near contending for anything other than a potential chance to get swept in the 1st Round of the Playoffs.

Meh. Give me those LA wins, Utah, both Boston games, give me these flashes anytime over an Orlando-like season, where everyone sucks.

You're right that they're not very good anyway, so they'll have something like the 6th-9th best odds in the lottery. It's not that bad with the flattened odds - you basically drop from 52% chance for a top 4 pick to a 30-35% chance for a top 4 pick. You could also argue that there really isn't a tier 1 level prospect in this specific draft as well.

CGD
01-06-2022, 04:56 PM
I keep forgetting we essentially have two firsts with how good that DET 2nd is!

Seventyniner
01-06-2022, 04:59 PM
I'm perfectly okay with soft tanking: just having young players play through their mistakes and the vets are role players (McD, Young) instead of focal points (DDR). I sure wish Forbes's spot was given to a young prospect or tradable cap ballast (Aminu), but nothing's perfect I guess.

I don't want anything approaching a hard tank like The Process Sixers. Especially with the flattened lottery odds.

I heard rumors a couple years ago about the league going to a perfectly flat lottery system, where every team from #1-14 would get the same number of ping-pong balls. That would eliminate all incentive to tank, except maybe a late season mini-tank by a team wanting to fall out of the play-in bracket (throwing the play-in game would be a worse look than regular season tanking imo). I guess the current system is a compromise between flat and the old system.

BackHome
01-06-2022, 05:00 PM
Be so sweet to get first pick in the first round and first pick in the second round. Lol. One can dream.

TD 21
01-06-2022, 05:08 PM
I'm perfectly okay with soft tanking: just having young players play through their mistakes and the vets are role players (McD, Young) instead of focal points (DDR). I sure wish Forbes's spot was given to a young prospect or tradable cap ballast (Aminu), but nothing's perfect I guess.

I don't want anything approaching a hard tank like The Process Sixers. Especially with the flattened lottery odds.

I heard rumors a couple years ago about the league going to a perfectly flat lottery system, where every team from #1-14 would get the same number of ping-pong balls. That would eliminate all incentive to tank, except maybe a late season mini-tank by a team wanting to fall out of the play-in bracket (throwing the play-in game would be a worse look than regular season tanking imo). I guess the current system is a compromise between flat and the old system.

Every time one of their pets has been in trouble there's conveniently been immediate lottery luck on the way. The league has tipped it's hand the past two drafts that they're not interested in helping a franchise they've long despised (for being counter culture as opposed to "team players") even somewhat recover from the fiasco they allowed to play out 3-5 years ago.

The only way this team is getting a high pick(s) is by having the worst record possible, which this season is probably 5th or 6th.

exstatic
01-07-2022, 03:29 PM
Completely agree. Tanking obviously isn’t a guarantee, but it significantly increases your chances at top-4 pick, something this franchise desperately needs. Selecting 7-12 usually gets you a role player. Of course there are exceptions to this (Kawhi, Giannis, etc.), but this is usually the norm. And in a season where the Spurs are clearly nowhere near contending for anything, it makes no sense to finish with the 10th pic or somewhere around there.

This front office should know better by now. They’re literally only relevant because they tanked twice and were rewarded David Robinson and Tim Duncan for it. But no, they’re so caught up in their own ego and Pop’s record that they don’t give a shit.

There are no David Robinsons or Tim Duncan’s who will EVER be available in the draft from here on out. Those two plugged in as immediate AllStars. David improved our record +35 wins, and Tim did him one better at +36 wins.

In addition, 8 or 9 teams have been knocked OUT of the top 4 over the last three modified draft lotteries. Not much of a reward there.

FutureMan
01-08-2022, 01:44 AM
Staying at the 8th pick or under is definitely the place to be statistically. It gives the Spurs the chance to win some home games and win games against the teams you really hate (LA teams). But they need to be careful. Some of the wins have been completely pointless and it would really suck to be the 9th pick and watch some team like Sacramento pick 8th and jump into the top 4. It will be a slow and painful death for the Spurs if they remain where they are right now.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-08-2022, 02:31 AM
Staying at the 8th pick or under is definitely the place to be statistically. It gives the Spurs the chance to win some home games and win games against the teams you really hate (LA teams). But they need to be careful. Some of the wins have been completely pointless and it would really suck to be the 9th pick and watch some team like Sacramento pick 8th and jump into the top 4. It will be a slow and painful death for the Spurs if they remain where they are right now.

Why? There isn't much of a statistical difference between 8th and 9th.

KingKev
01-08-2022, 05:54 AM

There is only a clear #1 talent every 10 years or so and this does not appear to be close to one of those years. Besides, we are destined to be picking in the top 1-10 for the foreseeable. We will have enough chances at drafting franchise changing talent over the next 3-5 years.

spurspl
01-08-2022, 08:19 AM
There is only a clear #1 talent every 10 years or so and this does not appear to be close to one of those years. Besides, we are destined to be picking in the top 1-10 for the foreseeable. We will have enough chances at drafting franchise changing talent over the next 3-5 years.

In last 11 drafts there are 8-9 #1 picks who could easily be our best player. In every draft in top10 there are at least 2-3 players who becomes an allstar or almost an all star. Besides this, higher pick is a better asset so u can trade it. Every year there are lots of teams who could give up everyone for a top3 pick. Good luck with waiting 5 yrs for a franchise player by drafting somewhere between 10-14 and sending him to gleague or giving his minutes to forbes XD

What last years play in gave to us?? NOTHING. Now, what would give us more lost matches?? mobley? wagner? cade? scottie? or maybe primo + extra asset?

CGD
01-08-2022, 08:29 AM
In last 11 drafts there are 8-9 #1 picks who could easily be our best player. In every draft in top10 there are at least 2-3 players who becomes an allstar or almost an all star. Besides this, higher pick is a better asset so u can trade it. Every year there are lots of teams who could give up everyone for a top3 pick. Good luck with waiting 5 yrs for a franchise player by drafting somewhere between 10-14 and sending him to gleague or giving his minutes to forbes XD

What last years play in gave to us?? NOTHING. Now, what would give us more lost matches?? mobley? wagner? cade? scottie? or maybe primo + extra asset?

An aside: What’s impressive is that if you redraft 2016, 2017, and 2019 again right now, DJ, White, and Keldon are taken in the top 10 in each.

Lonnie in 2018 is the only one that didn’t make a huge jump from original selection slot, but in fairness that draft was impressively stacked.

KingKev
01-08-2022, 08:29 AM

I’m team tank just pointing out guaranteed #1s like TD, Shaq and LBJ aren’t available every year and it’s going to take a few years of high draft picks to rebuild this team. Landing the #1 pick or the #5 pick probably won’t make much of a difference this year. A full year of miserable basketball where tempers flare and losing really starts to wear on the culture can be detrimental also.

KingKev
01-08-2022, 08:32 AM

You are argue you want the team to tank and also argue we play Forbes too much when they are synonymous. You are just complaining.

exstatic
01-08-2022, 08:39 AM

50% better odds at #1 (4.5%/3%) and roughly 50% better odds at top 4 (20.3%/13.9%).

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-08-2022, 08:47 AM
50% better odds at #1 (4.5%/3%) and roughly 50% better odds at top 4 (20.3%/13.9%).

Your numbers are the difference between 9th and 10th, not 8th and 9th , but I still fail to see much of a statistical difference as odds become worse. There's a 100% better odds for #1 between picks 13 and 14, but few people would think it is significant considering the context ( 0.5% to 1% ).

exstatic
01-08-2022, 11:38 AM
Your numbers are the difference between 9th and 10th, not 8th and 9th , but I still fail to see much of a statistical difference as odds become worse. There's a 100% better odds for #1 between picks 13 and 14, but few people would think it is significant considering the context ( 0.5% to 1% ).

You are correct. I looked at the wrong two lines in TaT’s odds table.

Where I’d actually like to be is 6 or 7. Portland is currently playing without Dame AND McCollum, so I expect them to climb hard when they both return.

BatManu20
01-08-2022, 12:46 PM
I’m team tank just pointing out guaranteed #1s like TD, Shaq and LBJ aren’t available every year and it’s going to take a few years of high draft picks to rebuild this team. Landing the #1 pick or the #5 pick probably won’t make much of a difference this year. A full year of miserable basketball where tempers flare and losing really starts to wear on the culture can be detrimental also.

Disagree with this wholeheartedly. Landing Jabari Smith with the #1 overall pick would definitely make a difference. Legit franchise player imo.

Dejounte
01-08-2022, 12:54 PM
No, he’s not :lmao

KingKev
01-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Disagree with this wholeheartedly. Landing Jabari Smith with the #1 overall pick would definitely make a difference. Legit franchise player imo.

Landing any of the moderate, top 5 talent in this draft, especially at the 3/4 position will make a difference but none of these guys have shown enough to be clear franchise players. That is where scouting, player development, proper roster construction, corporate culture comes into play.

LBJ, TD, Shaq, DRob all went #1 but would have provided 30 game turnarounds on any team that drafted them.

Sugus
01-08-2022, 03:18 PM
Landing any of the moderate, top 5 talent in this draft, especially at the 3/4 position will make a difference but none of these guys have shown enough to be clear franchise players.

As someone who's not following the college season at all - what makes Banchero not a "clear franchise player" prospect? Every time I see or read something about him, he looks like the "real deal". Of course, lots of hype to be had for top prospects in any given draft, but he does look like the perfect modern PF you want for a team. I get the concerns about Chet, but haven't really seen anything for him as far as "bust potential" except that he sweats a lot :lol

BackHome
01-08-2022, 03:27 PM
He is definitely a top 3 talent is he going to be Timmy or David type of talent nope but those two come once in a lifetime. I would take him in a heartbeat and thank the basketball Gods for letting us draft him. I think a lot has to do that he has forever been looked at a top 3 talent so more news look at everything thing these guys do and over analyze and generally make shit up ie. Fake News.

Dejounte
01-08-2022, 03:37 PM
As someone who's not following the college season at all - what makes Banchero not a "clear franchise player" prospect? Every time I see or read something about him, he looks like the "real deal". Of course, lots of hype to be had for top prospects in any given draft, but he does look like the perfect modern PF you want for a team. I get the concerns about Chet, but haven't really seen anything for him as far as "bust potential" except that he sweats a lot :lol

Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Durant, etc. all dominated the college scene with epic stats (counting and advanced). These guys (Jabari, Chet, Banchero) are nowhere close.

Sugus
01-08-2022, 03:38 PM
He is definitely a top 3 talent is he going to be Timmy or David type of talent nope but those two come once in a lifetime. I would take him in a heartbeat and thank the basketball Gods for letting us draft him. I think a lot has to do that he has forever been looked at a top 3 talent so more news look at everything thing these guys do and over analyze and generally make shit up ie. Fake News.

I laugh every time at posters thinking we're gonna tank and get "the next Timmy/Drob", while fundamentally misunderstanding what made those two prospects so sure-fire. There will never again be players of their calibre staying 4 years in college (and further in the Navy in DRob's case), the money/publicity/development disparity between college and the NBA is way too big nowadays. Timmy was regarded as a top prospect since his first year, yet stayed on and dominated an additional 3 YEARS. I can't fathom Banchero doing anything like that, nor any other top prospect.

Agree on the overanalyzing nowadays. Everything's a clip, every second analyzed, every play dissected. Sometimes what you see is what you have... Less is more. Rooting for Banchero, he looks like exactly what the Spurs are missing right now.

Sugus
01-08-2022, 03:39 PM
Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Durant all dominated the college scene with epic stats (counting and advanced). These guys (Jabari, Chet, Banchero) are nowhere close.

Hmm, interesting, do you have stats comparisons for them? Mainly Zion/AD, since I don't doubt we won't see another KD-level player for a good while, if ever.

Dejounte
01-08-2022, 05:41 PM
Hmm, interesting, do you have stats comparisons for them? Mainly Zion/AD, since I don't doubt we won't see another KD-level player for a good while, if ever.

https://i.ibb.co/N3FwM3N/top-3-comparison.jpg
Take note: Chet's and Jabari's stats shown here are inflated with the per 36 numbers (I hate that stat). There's no guarantee their production would increase with more playing time.

WS/40 has been a good indicator for past sure-fire prospects. I believe >.300 is the mark.

I'm not trying to say Chet, Jabari, Paolo draft positions are unwarranted. Just saying they're not a sure-fire thing.

duncan2150
01-08-2022, 05:57 PM
Take note: Chet's and Jabari's stats shown here are inflated with the per 36 numbers (I hate that stat). There's no guarantee their production would increase with more playing time.

WS/40 has been a good indicator for past sure-fire prospects. I believe >.300 is the mark.

I'm not trying to say Chet, Jabari, Paolo draft positions are unwarranted. Just saying they're not a sure-fire thing.

You compared them with the Top top, Williamson and Davis are unique. And you're right they are not a sure fire thing for the moment.

Imo the more ready and sure thing is Banchero, i really think he's playing calm at Duke and he could be way better.

buttsR4rebounding
01-08-2022, 07:57 PM

So are you saying Holmgren is the best chance at being a star?

Dejounte
01-08-2022, 08:34 PM
So are you saying Holmgren is the best chance at being a star?

At 25 minutes per game, he certainly is making some type of special impact. Who knows if he played a few more minutes if that will remove him from that tier? I’m always wary of players who played less minutes than others, not to mention his physical stature already had me concerned. There are a lot of variables regarding Holmgreen that have to be taken accounted for, as with any other prospect. These stats aren’t fool-proof, just like how I wouldn’t rely on them in the NBA to gauge player impact and value. They are useful when correct context is used.

Honestly, I like last year’s crop of *obvious* top tier talent than this year. When I say “obvious”, I mean the surface-level draftable talent. There very well could be a top tier talent later in that draft outside the top 5 (cough…Primo…cough) and we don’t know yet.

buttsR4rebounding
01-08-2022, 09:18 PM
At 25 minutes per game, he certainly is making some type of special impact. Who knows if he played a few more minutes if that will remove him from that tier? I’m always wary of players who played less minutes than others, not to mention his physical stature already had me concerned. There are a lot of variables regarding Holmgreen that have to be taken accounted for, as with any other prospect. These stats aren’t fool-proof, just like how I wouldn’t rely on them in the NBA to gauge player impact and value. They are useful when correct context is used.

Honestly, I like last year’s crop of *obvious* top tier talent than this year. When I say “obvious”, I mean the surface-level draftable talent. There very well could be a top tier talent later in that draft outside the top 5 (cough…Primo…cough) and we don’t know yet.

Thanks. Appreciate the insight.

BackHome
01-08-2022, 10:46 PM
One thing to note is that a lot of talent Freshmen last year didn't get a lot of burn last year "Covid" and so didn't come out for the draft. The same thing is kinda happening this year with Covid which means if teams with good scouting department can possible find some diamonds in the rough - which we got 3 picks this draft I am hoping for the best

FutureMan
01-09-2022, 01:29 AM

Everyone is going to have their own cutoff line for where they feel percentage wise that they have a shot at a top 4 pick. That’s mine.

Dejounte
01-09-2022, 10:19 AM
https://youtu.be/M8ID7MGpKCY

No past “sure thing” prospect played like a role player in college.

exstatic
01-09-2022, 10:58 AM
Landing any of the moderate, top 5 talent in this draft, especially at the 3/4 position will make a difference but none of these guys have shown enough to be clear franchise players. That is where scouting, player development, proper roster construction, corporate culture comes into play.

LBJ, TD, Shaq, DRob all went #1 but would have provided 30 game turnarounds on any team that drafted them.

30+ hasn’t been the yardstick for franchise players in at least 20 years. LBJ didn’t even hit that improvement mark until his 3rd season, and he’s in the conversation for GOAT. There are no more plug and play 30 win guys, and there never will be again. The definition of franchise player now includes a development curve of a couple of years.

KingKev
01-09-2022, 12:24 PM
30+ hasn’t been the yardstick for franchise players in at least 20 years. LBJ didn’t even hit that improvement mark until his 3rd season, and he’s in the conversation for GOAT. There are no more plug and play 30 win guys, and there never will be again. The definition of franchise player now includes a development curve of a couple of years.

Part development curve, part the fact that the talent in the NBA is pretty damn high these days.

TD/DRob turn around also had other factors. TD came back to a pretty good team with the return of DRob. DRob came in a year later with Elliott.

Dejounte
01-09-2022, 08:54 PM
https://twitter.com/jakespegal270/status/1480350257968033795?s=21

My dark horse pick blew up today. That turnaround J is a thing of beauty. It’s only a matter of time before his stock skyrockets…at least, I think so.

https://youtu.be/RJWb2GMEoyg

BackHome
01-09-2022, 10:40 PM
He won’t be in our first round draft range but I could easily see us picking him up as the first of the second round picks. I think there are a lot of players who are all bunched up together it’s going to see who steps up during March madness

TXstbobcat
01-09-2022, 10:42 PM

My dark horse pick blew up today. That turnaround J is a thing of beauty. It’s only a matter of time before his stock skyrockets…at least, I think so.

tankathon currently has him going #29 to Golden State

Dejounte
01-09-2022, 10:53 PM
He won’t be in our first round draft range but I could easily see us picking him up as the first of the second round picks. I think there are a lot of players who are all bunched up together it’s going to see who steps up during March madness

tankathon currently has him going #29 to Golden State

Tankathon had Roko Prkacin as a lottery pick all year last year and he didn’t end up getting drafted. Mock drafts can be very wrong, especially this early.

I called Franz and Giddey leaping from their mid lottery to late first round to top 10 pick.

My hot take this year is EJ will leap the draft boards closer to the draft. Probably will get in the #10 to #15 range.

pad300
01-09-2022, 11:17 PM
Tankathon had Roko Prkacin as a lottery pick all year last year and he didn’t end up getting drafted. Mock drafts can be very wrong, especially this early.

I called Franz and Giddey leaping from their mid lottery to late first round to top 10 pick.

My hot take this year is EJ will leap the draft boards closer to the draft. Probably will get in the #10 to #15 range.

Prkacin withdrew, it's not that he wouldn't have gotten drafted.

Dejounte
01-09-2022, 11:20 PM
Prkacin withdrew, it's not that he wouldn't have gotten drafted.

Didn’t he withdraw as a result of not getting the positive feedback he wanted from teams? I.e. his stock was not as high as mock drafts perceived him to be.

duncan2150
01-10-2022, 03:01 AM

Not a big fan of the fit on our team as i think he's similar to Johnson ( Small PF) but he could have an NBA carreer without a doubt.

BackHome
01-10-2022, 11:00 AM
Didn’t he withdraw as a result of not getting the positive feedback he wanted from teams? I.e. his stock was not as high as mock drafts perceived him to be.
He withdrew last year because a lot of mocks had him taller then what he was ane this year he will probably withdraw as he suffered I believe a broken ankle.

But I think your right him moving up but I see him anywhere from 16 to 27 depending on how he does against tourney opponents

Dejounte
01-10-2022, 10:03 PM
+insanely confident
+skilled
+high basketball IQ

I’m going to focus on these three components in prospects. What the Spurs have in Primo is special and I think these are the three things about him that sets him apart. So the question is, who checks the boxes in this draft?

My early find is Dyson Daniels.

https://youtu.be/-0ehXiZPVng

https://youtu.be/BEXzMoOEyMI

Already talks like a Spur and speaks with maturity beyond his age.

Read that he prides himself as a good defender.

Makes exceptional passes.

Australian.

Seems even keeled.

This is the guy.

Dejounte
01-10-2022, 10:07 PM
https://youtu.be/LY8rzsMsiyA

Also is a capable ball handler for a wing and in a ball handler dominant league, he will be useful right away.

Dejounte
01-10-2022, 10:14 PM
Fantastic article on Dyson:

https://www.thestepien.com/2021/11/07/the-development-of-dyson-daniels/

Daniels described himself with the four words “competitive…honest…fearless…and smart.” His rapid improvement from 2020, balancing physical growth with skill addition, makes additional improvements seem highly likely.

Dejounte
01-10-2022, 10:26 PM
https://youtu.be/x69DNMuVztQ

One of the youngest prospects in the draft

Quick reaction time? This sounds way too familiar…

Mr. Body
01-10-2022, 10:29 PM
Isn't Daniels an Ignite player? I'd be wary of those guys. They tend to know nothing about team basketball or even standard semi-advanced basketball skills that involve other players and Ignite sure as shit ain't gonna teach them otherwise.

Dejounte
01-10-2022, 10:31 PM
Isn't Daniels an Ignite player? I'd be wary of those guys. They tend to know nothing about team basketball or even standard semi-advanced basketball skills that involve other players and Ignite sure as shit ain't gonna teach them otherwise.

Watch the video above and read the article. His history before the Ignite team was being part of teams with lots of spacing and passing.

Mr. Body
01-10-2022, 10:38 PM
Watch the video above and read the article. His history before the Ignite team was being part of teams with lots of spacing and passing.

I don't buy it. And Ignite will kill that shit good. Big warning signs when a guy signs with Ignite.

Dejounte
01-10-2022, 10:51 PM
I don't buy it. And Ignite will kill that shit good. Big warning signs when a guy signs with Ignite.

Uh…okay. This is equivalent to saying ya won’t try your friend’s cooking because they used peanut oil. Not a very open minded statement at all. I get the hate for Ignite, but this black-and-white answer for everything? Almost reminds me of hardcore QAnon conspiracy theorists.

B1gduff
01-10-2022, 10:52 PM
nother name to watch/keep an eye on is Kendall Brown. Considered the best athlete in this draft class, and at 6'8 with a 6'11 Wingspan, he has alot to offer! He's probably my 3rd best Wing/PF in this class. He also fits in perfectly with out young guys, can run, and attack, and the dude is fast!
The defensive upside is huge, he's be able to guard 1-4s.
Offensively, there's work to do.
He's like DJ, good defenders and slasher, but needs to improve that offensive game. I see Aaron Gordan type of upside, when Gordan was first drafted.

duncan2150
01-11-2022, 02:35 PM
nother name to watch/keep an eye on is Kendall Brown. Considered the best athlete in this draft class, and at 6'8 with a 6'11 Wingspan, he has alot to offer! He's probably my 3rd best Wing/PF in this class. He also fits in perfectly with out young guys, can run, and attack, and the dude is fast!
The defensive upside is huge, he's be able to guard 1-4s.
Offensively, there's work to do.
He's like DJ, good defenders and slasher, but needs to improve that offensive game. I see Aaron Gordan type of upside, when Gordan was first drafted.

One of my favorite prospect tough his last games were not that good. I talked about him a few weeks ago.

I watched Baylor's last game and i really think Brown is playing at 50% of his potential, Baylor plays really collectively and he's a little bit hidden in this team.

https://youtu.be/x69DNMuVztQ

One of the youngest prospects in the draft

Quick reaction time? This sounds way too familiar…

I didn't study Daniels a lot but i like the fact that he's mostly in control. Looks like a complete player.

Dejounte
01-11-2022, 04:04 PM
One of my favorite prospect tough his last games were not that good. I talked about him a few weeks ago.

I watched Baylor's last game and i really think Brown is playing at 50% of his potential, Baylor plays really collectively and he's a little bit hidden in this team.

I didn't study Daniels a lot but i like the fact that he's mostly in control. Looks like a complete player.

Dyson also looks like he has grown from his previous measurement. He looks like he towers over Marjon Beachamp. I think he’s at least Vassell’s height now.

exstatic
01-11-2022, 04:20 PM

Not to mention that the Ignite is done for this year. They were only in the gleague cup play, pre-Christmas. They, and the MC Capitanes won’t play the regular season.

duncan2150
01-11-2022, 04:25 PM
Not to mention that the Ignite is done for this year. They were only in the gleague cup play, pre-Christmas. They, and the MC Capitanes won’t play the regular season.

They will not play their scheduled games in january ? they also played yesterday vs mexico city.

BackHome
01-11-2022, 06:55 PM
If we land outside the top 6 I am hoping for SG Bennedict Mathurin who can score from anywhere and is a shooter we desperately need. As far as players like Hardy and Daniels I just can’t get a good read on G League players for what ever reason I do know they have the talent it just are they able to put that talent to use is my question ie: Walker - But I could see us swinging for the fence and picking one of them

After that it’s kinda a toss up:
Brown - Elite Athlete but can’t shoot is young but........
Keegan Murray - A good PF but will be 22 when season starts

To me the exciting part starts in the second round who told Detroit they could start winning games? They have bumped us to the 31 pick two games ahead of Magic.

BackHome
01-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Another climber that I really like is Tarri Eason he had a monster game against a very good Tennessee team with 24pts, 12 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

duncan2150
01-12-2022, 09:57 AM
Another climber that I really like is Tarri Eason he had a monster game against a very good Tennessee team with 24pts, 12 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

A name to watch after the top PF/C( Holmgren, Smith, Banchero). Still need to improve his shot but really good defender, good athlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfNqt-BTVw

Another name to watch, Harrison Ingram 6-8, 230 lbs from Stanford. Not totally impressed but he plays as a point foward, he's improving his 3 pt... still young and interesting.

exstatic
01-12-2022, 10:01 AM
They will not play their scheduled games in january ? they also played yesterday vs mexico city.

They don’t show up on any schedule, or in any standings I can find. Are they just playing the Capitans? Washington generals to their Globetrotters?

duncan2150
01-12-2022, 10:04 AM
They don’t show up on any schedule, or in any standings I can find. Are they just playing the Capitans? Washington generals to their Globetrotters?

https://ignite.gleague.nba.com/

I just find this schedule with some games in january but not sure if it's correct.

Dejounte
01-12-2022, 11:34 PM
There’s something very abnormal about Chet’s body. It’s even worse than Poku and I didn’t think that was possible. If this wasn’t the case, he’d easily be my #2.

my big board, or order of players I’d like the Spurs to draft no matter where they land in the draft:

1. Banchero
2. PBJ
3. Dyson Daniels
4. Jaden Ivey
5. Keegan Murray
6. Liddell
7. Tari Eason
8. Jovic
9. Mathurin

duncan2150
01-13-2022, 05:21 PM
There’s something very abnormal about Chet’s body. It’s even worse than Poku and I didn’t think that was possible. If this wasn’t the case, he’d easily be my #2.

my big board, or order of players I’d like the Spurs to draft no matter where they land in the draft:

1. Banchero
2. PBJ
3. Dyson Daniels
4. Jaden Ivey
5. Keegan Murray
6. Liddell
7. Tari Eason
8. Jovic
9. Mathurin

One player you and others will probably like is AJ Griffin, son of ex NBA player Adrian Griffin.

He was injured at the beginning of the season, He's playing more and more and he starts to be in good shape . Strong foward 6-6, 222lbs. Can do a little bit of everything.

Really good prospect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLN6QUfa_hc

BackHome
01-13-2022, 09:51 PM
My board would be the following for first round:

1. P. Banchero
2. JBS
3. J. Ivey
4. Chet
5. B. Mathurin
6. J. Davis
7. D. Daniels
8. A.J. Griffin
9. K. Murray
10. K. Brown
11. N. Jovic

I would be happy with any of the above players.

For second round Detroit’s pick I like the following a lot will change depending on who comes out and who stays in college.

1.Josh Minott
2. Mark Williams
3. Walker Kessler
4. EJ Liddell
5. Christian Koloko
6. Ismael Kamagate
7. Max Christie

With the Lakers picks:

1. Tristan Vukcevic
2. Jason Tchicambound
3. Trayce Jackson Davis

Interesting player have not watched a lot is Zach Edey dude is a giant 7’4 not sure if he has foot speed though???

KingKev
01-14-2022, 06:31 AM
I really do appreciate the insight from a-lot of you folks on this topic as I don’t follow college ball.

I think the strategy still needs to be draft the best player available wherever the lottery ball drops. It is comforting that best available player and our positions of need potentially, closely align with the amount of 3/4s on most top 10 lists.

CGD
01-14-2022, 07:21 AM
Please, please just draft some size

Russ
01-14-2022, 11:07 AM

Agreed. But it's feast or famine when it comes to bigs in this draft.

The good news is that the consensus top three draftees are all skilled bigs (6'10-7'0"). Just what the Spurs need.

The bad news is there is a huge drop off in quality bigs after that. Feast or famine.

There are more high-potential first round "tweeners" than usual. But the Spurs (and most other teams) are not lacking for those guys. (One of those 6'5"- 6'8" guys could end up being the best in the draft but my money is on the top three -- it looks like a pronounced tier, compounded by the fact that it also aligns perfectly with the Spurs' needs.)

This lottery could be the biggest for the Spurs in years.

KingKev
01-14-2022, 12:08 PM

We certainly need size but shouldn't come at the expense of talent and scoring so best available player for me. We are going to have 3-5 chances for lottery picks these next few years and no one will be plug and play.

BackHome
01-14-2022, 12:12 PM
Agree, looking at draft and if Spurs pick most talented player I still think it’s about 70% chance we end up with a SG or SF. Which is disappointing but my thought process is increase our talent pool by each draft and this pick should be our first or second best player on the team depending on where we draft.

Your right this draft is extremely light on bigs ie Centers, but even more for athletic PF who can shoot they like Unicorns in this draft maybe 3 or 4 players counting first and second rounds. If we do take a SG/SF I wonder if we go for an upside Center with potential at Detroit’s pick?

One thing fir sure is that as end of season get closer your really going to see teams tanking very hard it’s all about the odds of getting that first pick.

exstatic
01-14-2022, 12:27 PM
Agree, looking at draft and if Spurs pick most talented player I still think it’s about 70% chance we end up with a SG or SF. Which is disappointing but my thought process is increase our talent pool by each draft and this pick should be our first or second best player on the team depending on where we draft.

Your right this draft is extremely light on bigs ie Centers, but even more for athletic PF who can shoot they like Unicorns in this draft maybe 3 or 4 players counting first and second rounds. If we do take a SG/SF I wonder if we go for an upside Center with potential at Detroit’s pick?

One thing fir sure is that as end of season get closer your really going to see teams tanking very hard it’s all about the odds of getting that first pick.

That’s old thinking. The bottom 3 teams have equal chances, and #4 is just a smidge behind. In the three drafts since the re-shuffle, teams have been knocked OUT of the top 4 like 8 or 9 times. It’s not even close to a sure thing that if you finish in the top 4, you’ll draw into the top 4.