PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Anyone watching the show about how Magic caught AIDS on HBO this Sunday?

Pages : [1] 2 3

baseline bum
03-05-2022, 02:17 AM
Wonder if they'll do like Dallas Buyers Club did and rewrite the main character hetero though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqbWwKx1nBU

Thread
03-05-2022, 05:33 AM
Oh, Lord, 30 seconds into that trailer was enough for me.

No thanks.

lebomb
03-05-2022, 07:28 AM
Umm.............no, just no.

lefty
03-05-2022, 12:12 PM
Good Magic casting tho

Killakobe81
03-06-2022, 01:40 PM
Hell yes! Casting looks great.

MultiTroll
03-06-2022, 01:57 PM
If you need to wash this filth and fantasy off and return to real hoop played by heteros:

Kevin McHale, Cedric Maxwell Explained Why Larry Bird and Robert Parish Were Their 'Arch-Enemies' (sportscasting.com) (https://www.sportscasting.com/kevin-mchale-cedric-maxwell-explained-why-larry-bird-and-robert-parish-were-their-arch-enemies/)

baseline bum
03-06-2022, 02:13 PM
Hell yes! Casting looks great.

Should have done like Many Saints of Newark and gotten Magic's son to play him.

MultiTroll
03-06-2022, 02:19 PM
Should have done like Many Saints of Newark and gotten Magic's son to play him.
:lol
Rack it.

baseline bum
03-06-2022, 11:21 PM
Damn, show actually began with Magic testing positive

baseline bum
03-07-2022, 12:03 AM
Never knew Jerry West wanted Moncrief over Magic. Think they probably would have won a couple of titles, especially with that Worthy pick in 1983, but no way Moncrief was taking them to five once Abdul-Jabbar started getting old.

Killakobe81
03-07-2022, 12:41 AM
Never knew Jerry West wanted Moncrief over Magic. Think they probably would have won a couple of titles, especially with that Worthy pick in 1983, but no way Moncrief was taking them to five once Abdul-Jabbar started getting old.

Jerry is a big part of us catching the Celtics but was also part of the teams that gave the Celtics the big lead. But he was wrong on multiple picks or moves but people act like he is infallible.

baseline bum
03-07-2022, 12:48 AM
Jerry is a big part of us catching the Celtics but was also part of the teams that gave the Celtics the big lead. But he was wrong on multiple picks or moves but people act like he is infallible.

Didn't he leave the time because he was a stan for Glen Rice and Phil Jackson wasn't having that shit after how worthless he was in their 2000 title run?

MultiTroll
03-07-2022, 01:03 AM
Cal Naughton Jr as Buss.
What a pathetic cast. :lmao

Then again it fits with the who sucks who to get parts in LA.

MultiTroll
03-07-2022, 01:06 AM
Damn, show actually began with Magic testing positive
Who is the guy driving him from that appointment and crying? And is it someone he gave HIV to?
Serious question.

baseline bum
03-07-2022, 02:08 AM
Who is the guy driving him from that appointment and crying? And is it someone he gave HIV to?
Serious question.

Hopefully Fredo

MultiTroll
03-07-2022, 10:52 AM
Not going to be in this promotional production, but has the Grandmother and Grandfathers reactions to EJ ever been captured? :rollin

lefty
03-07-2022, 11:08 AM
If you need to wash this filth and fantasy off and return to real hoop played by heteros:

Kevin McHale, Cedric Maxwell Explained Why Larry Bird and Robert Parish Were Their 'Arch-Enemies' (sportscasting.com) (https://www.sportscasting.com/kevin-mchale-cedric-maxwell-explained-why-larry-bird-and-robert-parish-were-their-arch-enemies/)
So McHale and Maxwell were a couple?

MultiTroll
03-07-2022, 11:25 AM
So McHale and Maxwell were a couple?
In a basketball game. Not in a Laker, Magic/Isiah sense.

2 on 2 Celtics practice games said to some of the most baddass hoop in history.

lefty
03-07-2022, 11:30 AM
2 on 2 Celtics practice games said to some of the most baddass hoop in history.
Tbh it sounds like an over glorification of the good old days

ambchang
03-07-2022, 11:40 AM
Mchale should’ve clothesline bird in practice rambis style for him being such a horrible father.

lefty
03-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Mchale should’ve clotheslined bird in practice rambis style for him being such a horrible father.
this tbh

MultiTroll
03-07-2022, 12:04 PM
Tbh it sounds like an over glorification of the good old days
Nah Billy Walton is from San Diego and I've rapped with him numerous times.
The intense practice games continued on when Billy joined for one of the GOAT 1986 Celts.

Lest it be self glorification, Bill has related that pickup games in the LA beach area had guys kick his ass. Bill said no bullshit about how he wasn't trying, he said he was giving 100% and they stuck it to him. Continued there are definitely street ball players with NBA skills but for numerous reasons arent in the NBA.

Also McHale did give props to the Lakers numerous times. It's not like either Bill or McHale couldn't admit when someone was better thus no reason to fabricate the practice games.

Damn shame Stern and the Lakers paid someone to off Lenny Bias.

MultiTroll
03-13-2022, 09:24 PM
"Earvin's efforts to impress the women in his life fall flat" Word for word HBO description. :lol

Ep 2 making his mom look like a real cunt.

Is that part of the reason Magic is pretty screwed up with women and his son wants to be his daughter? Ya ya half a billionaire screwed up.

West portrayal: What the hell? :lol

BD24
03-14-2022, 10:40 AM
I’ve enjoyed it so far. Casting is pretty great. Seems the show is just as much about buss as it is about Tragic tbh. Interested to see where they take it

baseline bum
03-14-2022, 11:40 AM
LOL Jerry West looks like such a miserable bastard in this

lefty
03-14-2022, 03:10 PM
"Earvin's efforts to impress the women in his life fall flat" Word for word HBO description.
:lmao

MultiTroll
03-14-2022, 03:38 PM
I’ve enjoyed it so far. Casting is pretty great. Seems the show is just as much about buss as it is about Tragic tbh. Interested to see where they take it
Yes Buss is not as douchy as the 2nd ep goes on.

Are we to believe the visit by Red A to the restaraunt and then Forum gym with Buss ever really took place? If they did meet was the conversation portrayed 100% Faker fantacy?

BD24
03-14-2022, 07:33 PM
Yes Buss is not as douchy as the 2nd ep goes on.

Are we to believe the visit by Red A to the restaraunt and then Forum gym with Buss ever really took place? If they did meet was the conversation portrayed 100% Faker fantacy?
I could see something similar of happened. I’m sure they dramatized it up a bit, but Celtics thought of Lakers as little brother.

Dirks_Finale
03-14-2022, 07:55 PM

That can't be real.

Jerry will probably sue for defamation :lol

MultiTroll
03-14-2022, 08:49 PM
That can't be real.

Moncrief was really good plus who could forsee the level of ref ass kissing Magic would recieve.
Some NBA Dina soars were stuck in the thinking that Magic was too tall to play PG.

BTW the show displays West as pretty psycho. Bitter, angry, alcoholic.

baseline bum
03-14-2022, 09:55 PM
That can't be real.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-03-06/excerpt-from-showtime-the-dawn-of-magic-johnson

The one thing Johnson didn’t know at the time (and wouldn’t know until more than two decades later) was that, in Cooke’s mind, he was merely another good college player in an ocean of good college players. Why, immediately after the draft, Cooke told those within his small circle of confidants that the team could have gone with Sidney Moncrief, the high-scoring guard from the University of Arkansas. That was the advice presented to him by Jerry West, the outgoing coach, who wasn’t fully convinced a 6-foot-9 point guard would function in the fast-paced NBA. Of all the ex-basketball players working for the Lakers, West was the one Cooke trusted most.

MultiTroll
03-15-2022, 11:13 AM
Fagic telling Buss he was going back to college then Buss leaving him in the hallway where he fawned over pictures of Laker HOFs.
Next he goes down to the gym floor with a ball and fantasizes about scoring the game winner.

Total ABC/ESPN/Disney Lakers fabrication or is that how it came down?

MultiTroll
03-15-2022, 11:21 AM
Earvin Sr's 87th birthday celebration.
"Over 70 grandkids, great grands, and great great grands came out to celebrate with him."

Somehow i can't picture this grandkid at Earv's celebration including a fish fry and BBQ but who knows?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CaXx4PsPMX4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

lefty
03-15-2022, 11:40 AM
https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-03-06/excerpt-from-showtime-the-dawn-of-magic-johnson

The one thing Johnson didn’t know at the time (and wouldn’t know until more than two decades later) was that, in Cooke’s mind, he was merely another good college player in an ocean of good college players. Why, immediately after the draft, Cooke told those within his small circle of confidants that the team could have gone with Sidney Moncrief, the high-scoring guard from the University of Arkansas. That was the advice presented to him by Jerry West, the outgoing coach, who wasn’t fully convinced a 6-foot-9 point guard would function in the fast-paced NBA. Of all the ex-basketball players working for the Lakers, West was the one Cooke trusted most.

Wait, I thought West was the perfect GM

lefty
03-15-2022, 11:41 AM
Fagic telling Buss he was going back to college then Buss leaving him in the hallway where he fawned over pictures of Laker HOFs.
Next he goes down to the gym floor with a ball and fantasizes about scoring the game winner.

Pretty sure that’s how it really went down

Because it’s Magic!

/s

baseline bum
03-15-2022, 11:47 AM

It's made up. Magic was only threatening to go back to Michigan State if the Bulls won the coin flip to draft first.

lefty
03-15-2022, 12:54 PM
It's made up. Magic was only threatening to go back to Michigan State if the Bulls won the coin flip to draft first.
But we were told they didn't want the easy way back in the good ol' days

baseline bum
03-15-2022, 01:06 PM
But we were told they didn't want the easy way back in the good ol' days

Wonder if he would have gone through with that threat. Probably not, probably just wanted to set the stage to negotiate a huge contract.

lefty
03-15-2022, 01:43 PM
Wonder if he would have gone through with that threat. Probably not, probably just wanted to set the stage to negotiate a huge contract.
Magic is like that, unselfish on the court yes but everything had to be about himself

Got his coach fired, backstabbed Isiah, got any dick he wanted, bailed out on the Lakers FO without notice, etc

baseline bum
03-15-2022, 02:23 PM
Gary Viti, trainer of the Lakers, said this show really fucked up the portrayal of West. That he wasn't the angry guy raising hell with everyone, more like the quiet internally tortured type.

ambchang
03-15-2022, 06:13 PM
I wonder how Moncrief would have fared if he played for the lakers. He certainly wouldn’t be as good as magic but he’d likely be much more of a household name like James worthy or Walt Frazier. Likely to make the top 50 team just being associated with the lakers.

Magic with the Chicago would likely have a career similar to George gervin or something like that. All time great but never won anything.

MultiTroll
03-16-2022, 04:17 PM
I could see something similar of happened. I’m sure they dramatized it up a bit, but Celtics thought of Lakers as little brother.
So perhaps Red really did show up, Red thinking he might fleece a few players from the Lakers in exchange for talking Buss out of the fantasy.
To Buss' credit he made the Lakers Entertainment titles happen.
I just find the vitriolic exchange between the two to be way over the top. Like Red putting his cigar out on the Forum gym floor. Didn't happen imo. However i do remember Red after the Celtics '84 Championship scoffing about the "dynasty" of the Lakers. So while exaggerated, perhaps what came down (vs the manner it came down) was true.

As far as Buss trying to offer pussy in exchange for a better deal from Red that is 100.
Related i have ZERO doubt that is how Memphis got fucked into giving MVPau for Kwame. Pussy and gambling debts all set as a lure by Buss. Standard operating procedure by Buss. Buss was a sneaky phuck for sure. Used to be in San Diego a lot and ran his lips when coke and boozed up which was perpetual.

Thread
03-16-2022, 07:51 PM
Moncrief was really good plus who could forsee the level of ref ass kissing Magic would recieve.
Some NBA Dina soars were stuck in the thinking that Magic was too tall to play PG.

BTW the show displays West as pretty psycho. Bitter, angry, alcoholic.

Stern, in '84 that's who. He judged that Magic would transform the game and made the decision to side him, break the strangle hold that the Celtics held and enjoyed. He placed Strom strategically in '85 with orders to make it happen. Strom obeyed and disqualified McHale in Massachusetts. That's all she wrote. From then on we had a share of the entitlement that only the Celtics had possessed to that point.

Then of course years later Cuban shows up and tumult ensues.

MultiTroll
03-18-2022, 09:22 PM
Gary Viti, trainer of the Lakers, said this show really fucked up the portrayal of West. That he wasn't the angry guy raising hell with everyone, more like the quiet internally tortured type.
Seems very over the top attempt to denigrate West.
Guy busts thru his window, tells him the place smells like he hasn't showered in weeks and smells like old laundry.

Did West do or give a perceived slight to the Buss'? Like leaving for the Golden Phaggots and then Clippers?

baseline bum
03-18-2022, 09:39 PM
Seems very over the top attempt to denigrate West.
Guy busts thru his window, tells him the place smells like he hasn't showered in weeks and smells like old laundry.

Did West do or give a perceived slight to the Buss'? Like leaving for the Golden Phaggots and then Clippers?

West's beef was with Phil Jackson, over whether to bring back Glen Rice, don't think he and Buss were on bad terms when he left. Haven't read the book it's based on but expect this is probably just juicing up the story to make it look better on TV. West being a psycho constantly destroying his Finals MVP trophy and cussing everyone out makes better TV than sad Jerry stewing at his desk when Buss wanted Magic over Moncrief + Haywood.

DMC
03-19-2022, 01:02 AM
"Earvin's efforts to impress the women in his life fall flat" Word for word HBO description. :lol

Ep 2 making his mom look like a real cunt.

Is that part of the reason Magic is pretty screwed up with women and his son wants to be his daughter? Ya ya half a billionaire screwed up.

West portrayal: What the hell? :lol

No magic in his johnson

Thread
03-19-2022, 01:52 AM
Beating the 4th wall to death in this is just lazy production. Hitting circa high points, then immediately preening for response is also lazy production...yes, I saw it, yes, I heard it. Yes, I got it! Which one is coming next? I can see the others getting involved in this, but Reilly? Shame-on-him.

I gave it 15 minutes as a favor. That's more than enough.

MultiTroll
03-19-2022, 09:43 AM
West's beef was with Phil Jackson, over whether to bring back Glen Rice, don't think he and Buss were on bad terms when he left. Haven't read the book it's based on but expect this is probably just juicing up the story to make it look better on TV. West being a psycho constantly destroying his Finals MVP trophy and cussing everyone out makes better TV than sad Jerry stewing at his desk when Buss wanted Magic over Moncrief + Haywood.
Agree 100 the show follows 100% Hollywood MO thus was juiced up with soap opera bullshit for attempted ratings.
But the producers had a million different ways to do that.

I still say something went way South between Buss' / Laker Basketball & Fantasy Productions Inc and West.

Assuming the show ends with the Showtime 80s or will it continue on to the Kobme years?

Isitjustme?
03-21-2022, 02:00 AM

Yeah, in the opening episode it also ignores the 1971-72 Lakers winning a title and makes it seem like West never won at all. I guess to increase his supposed bitterness.

Loved Hearn telling Riley he sounded effeminate in episode 3 lmao

Isitjustme?
03-21-2022, 02:02 AM
Beating the 4th wall to death in this is just lazy production. Hitting circa high points, then immediately preening for response is also lazy production...yes, I saw it, yes, I heard it. Yes, I got it! Which one is coming next? I can see the others getting involved in this, but Reilly? Shame-on-him.

I gave it 15 minutes as a favor. That's more than enough.

Supposedly Michael Shannon was going to play Buss but left production as all the fourth wall shit annoyed him. I agree fourth wall stuff in very small doses (like Eddie Murphy looking into the camera when the dukes explain that bacon is used in BLT sandwiches) but annoying when overused (The Office sitcom for instance). Here I just look past it mostly but it is weird

Killakobe81
03-21-2022, 10:16 AM
Y’all tripping. Obviously HBO has taken liberties …
4th wall bothered me at first
As did the vintage film stock look
But cast is great …
They did not make it a Magic or Buss Fluff piece Magic in particular they are
Showing his dark side and his womanizing… which are well documented.
Both West and Riley being hardened by their complicated relationships with their fathers also true.
West throwing his trophy all over his office and threw his window? False. Him wanting Moncreif over Magic or trying to move Earvin to PF documented fact.
But we will start to West genius as he transitions to the front office full time.

lefty
03-21-2022, 12:02 PM
West wasn't a perfect GM tbh
Good thing Buss didn't listen to him on Magic/Moncrief

MultiTroll
03-21-2022, 02:41 PM
Adrienne Brody as Pat Riley.
0/10

Don't want to know the sordid details of how that cast came to be.

MultiTroll
03-21-2022, 02:43 PM
Learned how the mob wanted to keep Tarkanian in Vegas and how close he was to coaching the Fakers.
To the point of hit being made on Vic Weiss (and later 3 others altho Weiss related not Laker related). Wow.

baseline bum
03-21-2022, 02:43 PM
Y’all tripping. Obviously HBO has taken liberties …
4th wall bothered me at first
As did the vintage film stock look
But cast is great …
They did not make it a Magic or Buss Fluff piece Magic in particular they are
Showing his dark side and his womanizing… which are well documented.
Both West and Riley being hardened by their complicated relationships with their fathers also true.
West throwing his trophy all over his office and threw his window? False. Him wanting Moncreif over Magic or trying to move Earvin to PF documented fact.
But we will start to West genius as he transitions to the front office full time.

But we're not seeing the parts where Magic gets womanized. Also man, 3 full episodes out of 10 and the 79-80 season hasn't even started?

lefty
03-21-2022, 08:56 PM
0/10

A young Robert De Niro would have been perfect casting for Riley tbh

MultiTroll
03-21-2022, 09:23 PM
Claire Rothman the head accountant and Forum events GM:
"Has given mostly a thumbs-down to the HBO series, which is based off the 2014 book about the Lakers’ dynasty written by former Sports Illustrated writer Jeff Pearlman."
She was not consulted. She was consulted for Jeannie Buss' upcoming documentary and looks forward to that.
However in true Hollywood - Laker spirit she continues "“I’m very anxious to see both of them, because any publicity can be good publicity.”

How did Ricky Bobby Cal get cast as Jerry Buss?
Adam McKay (“Don’t Look Up,” “Anchorman,” “Talladega Nights”) is the director.

Buss is starting to grow on me in the series, i like his risk taking and go for it personality.

Killakobe81
03-21-2022, 11:33 PM
But we're not seeing the parts where Magic gets womanized. Also man, 3 full episodes out of 10 and the 79-80 season hasn't even started?

But don’t forget it’s how the Showtime Lakers started it’s important to get origin stories for the main cast Magic Buss Riley West those are the ones I credit most for Showtime even if Kareem was a greater player historically than Magic. Also glad they gave Coach McKinney his credit how many lessor shows would have glossed over it was His offense that westhead copied and Riley did too …
Magic and Buss womanizing gonna get the main credit but lots of nuggets dropped if you pay attention.
Also heard when we get to summer league they had their exact uniforms from SL 1980 remade

Killakobe81
03-21-2022, 11:38 PM
0/10

Brody can act way til he transforms ti slick hair Tikes probably not til next season
LoL chick Hearn saying Riley got a fruity and faggy voice thought some if you Neanderthals would get a kick how anti PC this show is. Women, Christians, Jews, GAys blacks, liberals conservatives all have taken direct or indirect bullets.
I love a show that throws darts at ever color class and creed.

baseline bum
03-22-2022, 01:12 AM
But don’t forget it’s how the Showtime Lakers started it’s important to get origin stories for the main cast Magic Buss Riley West those are the ones I credit most for Showtime even if Kareem was a greater player historically than Magic. Also glad they gave Coach McKinney his credit how many lessor shows would have glossed over it was His offense that westhead copied and Riley did too …
Magic and Buss womanizing gonna get the main credit but lots of nuggets dropped if you pay attention.
Also heard when we get to summer league they had their exact uniforms from SL 1980 remade

Never knew the story of McKinney, damn Lakers might have won more than 5 with him there if he was really the X's and O's of that 77 Blazers title team that was a bunch of spare parts around Walton. Especially with Magic being the same kind of elevate the fuck out of everyone else teammate that Prime Walton was.

Kind of makes me question the fuck out of Kareem and wonder if he's overrated looking at how the Blazers swept him and how wildly underwhelming Kareem's pre-Magic Lakers career was. It's not like he was on an island, he had a still solid Gail Goodrich in 75-76 and Adrian Dantley + Norm Nixon in 77-78 and 78-79 plus Jamaal Wilkes in 78-79. Plus Kareem was below .500 in Milwaukee too after Oscar retired. While Magic's two years post Kareem the team was still elite. Think you gotta take Magic over Kareem for better player historically.

Blake
03-22-2022, 08:19 AM
Saw the first couple of episodes. Having fun watching John C in this role. I'm ready to see some basketball being played tho

lefty
03-22-2022, 08:26 AM
Never knew the story of McKinney, damn Lakers might have won more than 5 with him there if he was really the X's and O's of that 77 Blazers title team that was a bunch of spare parts around Walton. Especially with Magic being the same kind of elevate the fuck out of everyone else teammate that Prime Walton was.

Kind of makes me question the fuck out of Kareem and wonder if he's overrated looking at how the Blazers swept him and how wildly underwhelming Kareem's pre-Magic Lakers career was. It's not like he was on an island, he had a still solid Gail Goodrich in 75-76 and Adrian Dantley + Norm Nixon in 77-78 and 78-79 plus Jamaal Wilkes in 78-79. Plus Kareem was below .500 in Milwaukee too after Oscar retired. While Magic's two years post Kareem the team was still elite. Think you gotta take Magic over Kareem for better player historically.
To be fair the 1977 Lakers were ass

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1977.html

Agreed on the other seasons though

ambchang
03-22-2022, 08:34 AM

Bigs can’t win anything without a good backcourt (and ideally a dirty work big next to him).

Russell had Cousy, Kareem had oscar and magic. Hakeem had the backcourt that transformed the way people looked at three point shooting, shaq had penny and kobe, Duncan had manu and Parker. The only exception was pretty much Walton but only because the league was ass in those days and Walton can be that point to direct traffic.

baseline bum
03-22-2022, 10:38 AM
Bigs can’t win anything without a good backcourt (and ideally a dirty work big next to him).

Russell had Cousy, Kareem had oscar and magic. Hakeem had the backcourt that transformed the way people looked at three point shooting, shaq had penny and kobe, Duncan had manu and Parker. The only exception was pretty much Walton but only because the league was ass in those days and Walton can be that point to direct traffic.

Tim Duncan won a title with Avery Johnson and Mario Elie.

lefty
03-22-2022, 11:16 AM

And David Robinson vs small Knicks

baseline bum
03-22-2022, 11:54 AM
And David Robinson vs small Knicks

Beat the Lakers and Blazers too

MultiTroll
03-22-2022, 12:30 PM
Brody can act way til he transforms ti slick hair Tikes probably not til next season
LoL chick Hearn saying Riley got a fruity and faggy voice thought some if you Neanderthals would get a kick how anti PC this show is. Women, Christians, Jews, GAys blacks, liberals conservatives all have taken direct or indirect bullets.
I love a show that throws darts at ever color class and creed.
Between Wests denigration and now the Riley faggy reference, wonder if Riley and West are both are on the outs with Lakers Inc / Buss Inc?
Have not found comments on the show from West or Riley -yet.

Did Chicks fag reference really happen?

MultiTroll
03-22-2022, 12:35 PM
Never gets referenced but Bitch Kupcake did a super cheapshot on Chief Parrish earlier on in the 85 Finals.
Chief not one to complain publicly. It rendered him about 60% the rest of the way.

McHale with the clothesline was a super cheapie too.
However Rambis no where near = the loss of Chief. Plus Rambis was not injured on the play, thankfully.

ambchang
03-22-2022, 12:56 PM

Duncan > Kream

lefty
03-22-2022, 04:46 PM
Beat the Lakers and Blazers too

yep

Just saying that yes. that backcourt wasn’t HOF material but in the paint Duncan had a DRob that was still in good condition so it makes up for the backcourt deficiencies

lefty
03-22-2022, 04:49 PM
Never gets referenced but Bitch Kupcake did a super cheapshot on Chief Parrish earlier on in the 85 Finals.
Chief not one to complain publicly. It rendered him about 60% the rest of the way.

McHale with the clothesline was a super cheapie too.
However Rambis no where near = the loss of Chief. Plus Rambis was not injured on the play, thankfully.

lol Kupcake also picked a fight with Hakeem, pretty sure it was a desperate attempt by Riley to get Dream ejected
They both got ejected but Rockets still won lol

Thebesteva
03-22-2022, 10:55 PM
I can’t wait for the Spurs HBO show. The highlight will be Timmy shopping at Gap

to be fair they needed to show Magic’s son in this and how she came to be.

lefty
03-22-2022, 11:48 PM
I can’t wait for the Spurs HBO show. The highlight will be Timmy shopping at Gap

to be fair they needed to show Magic’s son in this and how she came to be.

:lol Porker and Erin Barry too

lefty
03-23-2022, 03:28 PM
lawl

https://twitter.com/magicjohnson/status/1506299669898403842

Killakobe81
03-23-2022, 09:03 PM

Rare exception him Hakeem Dirk won with less

MultiTroll
03-28-2022, 03:14 PM
Ep 4.
Was Kream really that exteme a prima donna prick?

Did McKinney tolerate his sitting and brooding / pouting when the rest of the team had to run?
Acting like a bitch with his phony rejections of orange juice and paper order.

This chit real Lakers?

ambchang
03-28-2022, 06:13 PM
Kream did force his way out of Milwaukee because he needed the the Muslim support but he only asked to go to NY or LW but not Chicago or Detroit which has a significant Muslim population then.

Almost smells like fisher has to be in LA for his daughter.

lefty
03-28-2022, 09:40 PM
Cheesy and goofy as fuck, but I actually like this show l:lol

John C Reilly is great tbh, and the dude who plays does a good Magic impression

baseline bum
03-28-2022, 10:45 PM
It's kind of annoying the way the show tried to make it look like McKinney invented running basketball. Even though Tom Nissalke, Bob Bass, and Doug Moe had been doing it for years with the Spurs by then.

daslicer
03-29-2022, 02:01 AM
It's kind of annoying the way the show tried to make it look like McKinney invented running basketball. Even though Tom Nissalke, Bob Bass, and Doug Moe had been doing it for years with the Spurs by then.

They made McKinney look like some great prodigy especially during that scene where he was designing the offense.

daslicer
03-29-2022, 02:05 AM
Kareem and Magic are both not likable but for different reasons. Kareem is an anti-social douchebag. While Magic is an attention whore that is obsessed with people liking him.

One thing I wonder is how accurate is the portrayal of Riley. He comes across as this socially awkward guy who lacks confidence. From the get-go he emanates a great sense of self-doubt when in the presence of other people. It's just amazing to thinking how he will go through a 180 transformation and become a guy who has swag and an authoritative figure that commands respect.

baseline bum
03-29-2022, 10:06 AM
Kareem and Magic are both not likable but for different reasons. Kareem is an anti-social douchebag. While Magic is an attention whore that is obsessed with people liking him.

One thing I wonder is how accurate is the portrayal of Riley. He comes across as this socially awkward guy who lacks confidence. From the get-go he emanates a great sense of self-doubt when in the presence of other people. It's just amazing to thinking how he will go through a 180 transformation and become a guy who has swag and an authoritative figure that commands respect.

I have met Kareem a couple of times and yeah he seemed like a really sour person. Some of my friends ran into him at various times at UCLA and said the same. I don't think that's a fair characterization of Magic though. Having met him a few times I think he's just someone who respects his fans and genuinely gets along with people. Only other player I have ever seen who went out of his way to connect with his fans like Magic is Manu.

Also the vet being a dick to the rook is pretty standard. I remember reading Tim wouldn't speak to Tony for like months when he got there for example. Guess he was expecting the Spurs to get Kidd in the summer?

I don't believe in Faggy Riley for a second. Dude was a college star who played nine years in the NBA, I strongly doubt he'd be someone so weak.

MultiTroll
03-29-2022, 12:28 PM
Jerry Buss fingering his ho at the restaurant booth in front of his 8 year old or so daughter.
Rather then a subtle reference the show has to give a cheap porn type explicit camera angle.
Wow.
Really?

I think this confirms Lakers Inc / ABC / Disney / Stern Jr are not entirely behind this show even if it is profitable and they get a piece.

MultiTroll
03-29-2022, 12:58 PM
Who is depicted by the stocky NFL tight end type who flattens Magic with the pick?
Also one of the more animated butt hurt over McKinneys exercise program.

baseline bum
03-29-2022, 01:44 PM
Who is depicted by the stocky NFL tight end type who flattens Magic with the pick?
Also one of the more animated butt hurt over McKinneys exercise program.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/boonero01.html

daslicer
03-29-2022, 08:05 PM
I have met Kareem a couple of times and yeah he seemed like a really sour person. Some of my friends ran into him at various times at UCLA and said the same. I don't think that's a fair characterization of Magic though. Having met him a few times I think he's just someone who respects his fans and genuinely gets along with people. Only other player I have ever seen who went out of his way to connect with his fans like Magic is Manu.

Also the vet being a dick to the rook is pretty standard. I remember reading Tim wouldn't speak to Tony for like months when he got there for example. Guess he was expecting the Spurs to get Kidd in the summer?

I don't believe in Faggy Riley for a second. Dude was a college star who played nine years in the NBA, I strongly doubt he'd be someone so weak.

I have known that for years that Vets haze rookies. It wasn't Kareem freezing out Magic that showed to me he was douchebag but the way he was just aloof from the rest of his teammates. He had a strong anti social vibe.

baseline bum
04-04-2022, 02:00 PM
This show is starting to look like character assassination on Kareem. They show him being a pouting bitch not even sitting with the team in the timeout before the final play of their first game in San Diego when in the real game he's right there in the huddle. Then they make him look sour after hitting the shot when in reality he looked pretty pleased with the team. Here is the actual game video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCsIaXDuZr4

Killakobe81
04-04-2022, 02:29 PM
This show is starting to look like character assassination on Kareem. They show him being a pouting bitch not even sitting with the team in the timeout before the final play of their first game in San Diego when in the real game he's right there in the huddle. Then they make him look sour after hitting the shot when in reality he looked pretty pleased with the team. Here is the actual game video:

Obviously exaggerating but it was well known that Kareem was aloof in this era
Because he wasn’t whoring and boozing with Magic Buss and company.
Plus to show his struggles with changing religion and injustice as why he was withdrawn is more than fair and not charchter assassination … folks tripping on the early portrayals of West Kareem and Riley but I think all will be redeemed by show end. Buss and Magic are living it up now but the open of the show and Jeannie reactions to her father will be far more damaging than any shade thrown at those guys early on. You can see the arc plus I read the book it’s based on.

lefty
04-04-2022, 02:38 PM
Damn, I didn't know that whole thing with Tarkanian's friend, Vic

baseline bum
04-04-2022, 02:41 PM
Plus to show his struggles with changing religion and injustice as why he was withdrawn is more than fair and not charchter assassination … folks tripping on the early portrayals of West Kareem and Riley but I think all will be redeemed by show end. Buss and Magic are living it up now but the open of the show and Jeannie reactions to her father will be far more damaging than any shade thrown at those guys early on. You can see the arc plus I read the book it’s based on.

This show is going over the top making him look like a dick. Like when he tells the kid to fuck off when he asks for a photo with him. I was in that same kind of situation one time when I saw the Lakers at the airport and he did take a photo with me, though it was clear he didn't want to do and I felt bad doing it but my dad wanted a pic of me with him. The part about him hating being admired for putting a ball through a hoop seems pretty consistent but he never acted like an asshole to me like he did the kid in Episode 1, he just seemed like he wanted to be alone. And retelling that first game as if he was pouting on the bench and completely disinterested, telling Magic to get the fuck off him, angrily walking past Hot Rod Hundley who wanted a postgame interview is all made up shit. Why couldn't they just tell the real story, that Kareem tells Magic there's 81 more games left and this game isn't that big a deal? I hate when they inject fake drama into what was already a really good story.

daslicer
04-04-2022, 05:08 PM

I would say Riley's depiction to me seems like the one that is way off compared to the others. It's hard for me to imagine Riley was this socially awkward guy who had confidence issues.

baseline bum
04-04-2022, 06:21 PM
You can see the arc plus I read the book it’s based on.

Since you read the book, is the storyline about Kareem being lazy and getting winded in practice true? I find that one really hard to believe considering Abdul-Jabbar seemed to be in ridiculously good shape all the time. I just can't imagine a lazy guy lasting in the NBA as a productive starter on a title contender until 41.

Killakobe81
04-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Since you read the book, is the storyline about Kareem being lazy and getting winded in practice true? I find that one really hard to believe considering Abdul-Jabbar seemed to be in ridiculously good shape all the time. I just can't imagine a lazy guy lasting in the NBA as a productive starter on a title contender until 41.

Nah not lazy just more coasting …
Kareem himself said Earvin helped reinvigorate his competitive spirit … Riley too later on

baseline bum
04-04-2022, 08:33 PM
Damn I didn't even recognize Avon Barksdale with the beard playing Spencer Haywood.

MultiTroll
04-04-2022, 09:30 PM
Jeannie reactions to her father will be far more damaging
Not that this show will get into it, it undoubtedly won't.
But based on what you know is Jeannies dating Phil Jackson due in small or large part to her dysfunctional upbringing?
Might sound like I'm burning on Phildo, I'm really not. While i find him to have been a smug entitled prick, I have no doubt he is interesting.
Just that for a fairly attractive chick who can buy all the accessories richies can buy (fake tits, having her face and skin regularly buffed out etc), and undoubtedly had a million dating opportunities seems an odd choice to go after kind of geezer aura Phil 16 years her senior. Daddy issues?

lefty
04-04-2022, 10:09 PM
I would say Riley's depiction to me seems like the one that is way off compared to the others. It's hard for me to imagine Riley was this socially awkward guy who had confidence issues.
Riley struggled after his playing days were over, he said himself that he didn’t know what he was gonna do. He also said he felt tremendous pressure during his head coaching career with the Lakers, thought he could be fired any time.

I too think Riles has no confidence issue but I guess the show wanted to show his insecurities with finding/starting a new career.

At the of the latest episode, Chick put him at ease so I’m guessing we’ll see a more confident Pat in the next episodes

baseline bum
04-04-2022, 10:56 PM
Riley struggled after his playing days were over, he said himself that he didn’t know what he was gonna do. He also said he felt tremendous pressure during his head coaching career with the Lakers, thought he could be fired any time.

I too think Riles has no confidence issue but I guess the show wanted to show his insecurities with finding/starting a new career.

At the of the latest episode, Chick put him at ease so I’m guessing we’ll see a more confident Pat in the next episodes

Next episode Riley is going to be promoted to assistant coach since Westhead had to take over for McKinney, who was in a coma for a few days and was feared to have brain damage and later fired.

Killakobe81
04-04-2022, 11:09 PM
Not that this show will get into it, it undoubtedly won't.
But based on what you know is Jeannies dating Phil Jackson due in small or large part to her dysfunctional upbringing?
Might sound like I'm burning on Phildo, I'm really not. While i find him to have been a smug entitled prick, I have no doubt he is interesting.
Just that for a fairly attractive chick who can buy all the accessories richies can buy (fake tits, having her face and skin regularly buffed out etc), and undoubtedly had a million dating opportunities seems an odd choice to go after kind of geezer aura Phil 16 years her senior. Daddy issues?
I would bet so and they are alluding to it a bit if you are watching and Buss mom and ex wife say it …
And not sure if he fingered a chick (unknowingly) in front of Jeannie but that is the way they chose to express how his sexing younger chicks probably did manifest itself a bit in Phil smooth talker big ego many chicks chase versions of their pops my wife included except I’m only 4 years older than my wife

lefty
04-05-2022, 12:14 AM
Next episode Riley is going to be promoted to assistant coach since Westhead had to take over for McKinney, who was in a coma for a few days and was feared to have brain damage and later fired.
That bike accident holy shit, that fall was brutal

MultiTroll
04-06-2022, 10:08 AM

FFS and the show has Fagic inbounding the ball and heroically rebelling against the play called in the huddle.
Reality is Ford inbounded and threw the pass to Kream. :lol

baseline bum
04-06-2022, 11:03 AM
FFS and the show has Fagic inbounding the ball and heroically rebelling against the play called in the huddle.

Worst lie in the show was Buss turning the team over to his wife, that shit never happened supposedly.

ambchang
04-06-2022, 12:06 PM

Incredible low post prowess in :wow yesterdays nba. :lol todays nba players can’t execute any of those plays by being too busy bricking fadeaway step back three pointers.

lefty
04-06-2022, 12:39 PM
lol I was about to post this

lefty
04-06-2022, 12:41 PM
Incredible low post prowess in :wow yesterdays nba. :lol todays nba players can’t execute any of those plays by being too busy bricking fadeaway step back three pointers.
Yeah because Jokic and Embiid or KAT don't have a post game
/s

Kareem 99% of the time : dribble dribble dribble, swing left, swing right, sky hook :lol
(oh and they would give an assist to Magic for some reason lol)
And he wasn't playing against zone defense either

:lol imagine Kream vs zone defenses

ambchang
04-06-2022, 01:17 PM
Yeah because Jokic and Embiid or KAT don't have a post game
/s

Kareem 99% of the time : dribble dribble dribble, swing left, swing right, sky hook :lol
(oh and they would give an assist to Magic for some reason lol)
And he wasn't playing against zone defense either

:lol imagine Kream vs zone defenses

He would average 60ppg.

lefty
04-06-2022, 02:40 PM
He would average 60ppg.
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAoHCBUWFRgVFRUYGBgYGhoYGBgcGBwYGBgaGBgaGRgYHB wcIS4lHB4rIRgaJjgmKy8xNTU1GiQ7QDs0Py40NTEBDAwMEA8Q HhISHjQrJSU0NDQxNDQxNDQ0MTQ0NDQxNDQ1NDQ0NDQ0NDQ0ND Q0MTU0NDQ0NDQ0NDQ0NDExNDQ0NP/AABEIAMIBAwMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAcAAAABwEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQIDBAUGBwj/xABNEAACAAQCBAgHDQUIAwEBAAABAgADBBESIQUGMUEHEyJRYX GB0jJUc5GTsbMUFSMzNEJScpKhwdHwFiSClLIlNVNig6LCw3Th 8WND/8QAGQEAAwEBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAECAwQF/8QAJxEAAgICAwABAwQDAAAAAAAAAAECESExAxJBUSJhcQQTgbG RodH/2gAMAwEAAhEDEQA/AMjpjS1QKmoAqJ4AnzgAJ0wAATXAAAawAERxpmp8Yn mm9 EaZX95qP/ACJ/tXiJEGq0WA01Uf48/wDmJvfhQ0zP8YqPTzO/FdAAgGWQ0xO8ZqPTze/CvfSd4zP9PNH/ACirAg7QDLT3wn M1H8xN78F7vqfGaj083vxWAQswBSLAaRqPGaj083vwfvlUeM1H p5vfiIsLtBYUSRpKo8ZqPTzO9CvfOo8Yn nm9 IsFCsKJfvpP8AGJ/p5vfge U/xmo9PN70RLQVoLHRM98p/jM/083vQXvjUeMT/wCYmd Kyoq0XLaeYRCbSh3KB2wWDpF8dI1HjNQP9eb34QdI1HjNR6eb3 4qJWkSfCFukH8Imh7i4zhWCSZJ98anxmo9PN78F751PjFR6eb3 4jk9EFigsKJHvpUeM1Hp5vfge lR4zUenm9 I0DDBYUSffWp8ZqPTze/A99Kjxmo9PN78RCsFaCw6ome lR4xUfzE3vwPfOp8ZqPTze/EZRB4YXYOqJB0pU M1H8xN78JOlanxmo/mJvfhjBCWWDsHVD50tU M1Hp5vfgjpap8ZqP5ib34ilYThh9mLqvglHTFT4zUfzE3vwR0x U M1Hp5vfiMU/VoZaHbF1R2XUWpd6GUzvMdiZt2LsSbTpgFyTnkAOyBCODz 75PXN9vMgRoY4OY6ZrStTUDAxAnzswRn8K 6Io0gu9H8wMWelZP7xP8vO9q8Rfc/6tE4NskR65Lclc ZkIHnG Gvd43onYxHrETzTDohJpRzCFgMjEiolte5VP4wbw EQ7HH2gYI0Y iIbNAv0fVAGSQKbmMBqc8/3GIh0cv0bfd6jC5dJhN UejEfPtgod/YkgW7IbWccWEqev9bocVW6uk5n8ocSWB18AAAQLQoLBNlCKG3e 0V1ZVHwRt3xIqJllLRVILk9O/1xOweBaS8W FilvsiRRUxJwj52zozjTSdFhbG2doznPqax4 yyY96YqdkPU062R2Rpa6jxi2V9xMZuop2RrMO0bDFRmpImUHHR PtBERJoaLFLBG3bt2//AGGCILBxaGyIK0OEQm0MVCM4F4URBWgAJTElbCI4EOXiGCFs/RDZJ6IOCMIYgiEMsOmGzDQmNtsPVEaJLbD2xHIjQzOxcHn93ye ub7eZAgcHn93yeub7eZAjYxMFpQfDz/LzvavEYCJelB8PP8tO9q8R4zNhNoO0HBgQAJtAtCrQdoAEYYAW F2gWgKEYYFoXaCgARaGp yH7Q3PGUJgitrVuh7PXDdHRM5yBIib2Rd6BqBhIyBBz6IynJxV o1hFSeQtFaKZTiYW2W5x1RfmQOwCG0YnZl6zDGlZrGWUXLEQGP Mvzu22XbGC rZ0V1RAdmcllsqDYTmz23gbhDT0wdTexEK0bMVzMWZKYnLi2vy VGzDh57Z3izlU2FQLf o0aUUqIjcrKTR6BeQTkTlzgbx1xEr15b9cWFXLsf1kYpanGpyZ AP8179O KjlkzdKgyIIwwJj3F8BFwDYneYkxbMVkQRAtCrQLQhiQucPiQ/wBBvsn8od0Uvw8ryif1COmyYzlKhqNnMPcUzbxcz7DW9UG9FMC ljLcKMy2BsIHPe1rR1afRz3AKUvHKd5mIikgkEWJudkQNPya0U 05TSCVLKDEVnIVVVt80ZmwGyNIxk80S5LRy5hCDD7plDKrANjT bDEcxKYZRHYRZm0df4PP7vk9c328yBCeD35BJ653t5kHGxgYbS Y Hn Wne1eI4ESdKfHzvLTfavEeMjZBWg7QIEAAtAtBwLQFBQLQdoFo ACgQdoKAAiISwhRgoAIjpYwulmlHxj Ic4/OHmUHbEd0tEtJ7Li6Lb3wmMitdUxthVbi9ybC7E2EWUnjEfBOC kEDZnbEMs4zCBTyXF1O0bgeeNRIljDmb3G31RlKoqjeDcndgZM D843b4TMrWN8IFhvJ/CCNYpQqfDGQFt8VpJIwIcz4bc19oHT6omMW8lyl4iSpDoW6c aKOupsaMBtGY6xf8I0M4qiX2ZWA/W KqiYPjI2ZD1xSvZlL4Zm6Ef1J6zFrCaqkwOSBkWUnote56oNHV vBIPUQY0btWY11dAIgWhREC0SUStEj4eV5RfXHR5B/XbHO9ED4eX9cR0rRSXmIOd1 43/CIathdG5ppJVFUHYoB67ZxSa9FhRTziywged1B 68aYCM7r78gn9S/wBax1dTkTycKnDbEcDKJU4ZRHtGB1DbDKGGESTsiO8WSdY4P/kErrne3mQIPUD5BK653t5kCNjAxGkx8PO8tO9q8Rok6T PneWne1eI0Zmi0CFCDgQFCYVBwIACgQcFAAmChyEQAEYKDgjAA RhLreFQIQyIykRNo68oMJzXd0Q09t8RHcbRsG1jko/PsiZRs0g3eC9dA4urgX6r9UR2kYMOdhfPMebqjOVMxW2EkjfsA yysPxizplWctsRVxtsdvTbmiXBpWW5U2hWlqoucC3Jvlbffmiz 0VSFEAOZ2t1mD0do5EzzZ/pH8ANkWSS8oTa0iGntlbWSDbENoik0qiBVdQFcmxtkSLb7euL6 v0lKlghjibcg29v0R1xkaicXe5sOgbFEaccXdmc5prqSJE1zux DsB6YkLMO9GHZf1RBCIfBcg9It6ocSS4 eAN3KMOSRvDjtLDf4aLrQzjj5ZvbljbluPPHTtCEGbLsR4Y9Rj jmB/pj7UP08 oQhldlIzBD5g9HNEOGbtDlwv4f8Ao9NiM7r f3Gd/B7RY5ZoXhKq5JwzTxq8zZMP4gL eNRrHrjT1ej3CMFctLBltk3hAnDzgW29Ebdvk4/2pJ/Jzio2GI8OzmyMM3yjFM2YTnKIzmH22QwYr0nw63qB8glfWne3m QUFqB8gldc728yDjYwMTpL4 d5ad7V4jRJ0l8fO8tO9q8MRmzRaBBwUAQFBwIECAAQIEEYABAg QmAAjAMAwxOngC97DeT6gN5gKjFydIcZrRHn1arkCpO 52dg2xGcs ajCufLY obuyGPdIU4UVCF2ORmT9KErejZQjBXN4JBmM2ar/E2Sjpt/9hiYgJ5c0G24Z bmhma7NmxJ7fw2Q2RkYtQ9If6iNUlf5JMh3dxLlKTi5KoACWvz 9O0xoZ olSqK8tkdiLtLDYHU8yseS3nEXHBrowKj1LLmzYEO8KtsZHNnY dkbky7bOe8F1oznJy3v jkMxq Rk8uaPryyw 0AQfPDPuisnHComm 5JbL5yFy88dlY22EjqNvVAa9tp88Ndd0ZfVqzmWh9RJrHFUHil 24FIaa3WRdU67k9EaTSmqMh5HFykWWyAlGG9rbHY5te203jThI Uiw2wSp2cGnyWR2R1KspIIO0EGGjHRdedAF71MtbugtMA2so fbeRv6I564ikEsZWmC0Bj0/fCeiCY5QUT3ktMmLPDDC46m3iEOjJmDdfOD1iGCYVJqCtxtHNE ONaOqHOpYnvxrf8klJxYcntS fWp/CH1a4uIhTZQtjQ9m8frmhUqdi2Gz/c0ZuN5RpKOae3r4ZKfZEcwYqAeSwwtzHZ54Sx2wqMH8HW9QPkE rrne3mQcFwf/IJXXO9vMgRqYGK0l8fO8tO9q8RhEjSfx87y072rxHiGaLQqDgo EBQcCCgQACBAhMABkwTNaCdgMzEGbVAgsfAGQ/wAx5h cDwVCLk6QupqLC5yX7z0frZERrCzzM/oJ0c5hAmX EfYPATcSOjmiLMmFjdjcn7ugQRi3s3lKPFG1lvX/AFjk6eznM5bgNg7Ia3wQaDbEADYgMCVa2TAZEg7xfKNopLBwTn KTuTth4onaF0c1TOSSuRc8pvoqM2bsH32itXdHReDfR1keoI5T txaHmVbFz57DshS0VBK7fhtaamSXLVEXCiDCo6Bz9JNzD4NxBn ZBJsiC2xD7ocMNzN0LvAISIWBCLwsw2IjyhmY53rtq2JRNRJWy E8tBsRj84f5T9xje09ehIALco2BwkC Ipt sCIcq5auCjAMHBDA7CDkbwJ5HrD9OFOIIxaaw6MNPOeWfB8JD9 JGzU/h1iKpmjQykqdCQd2/9fnAvnG/ptFSaimks6AuJaHGOS5AUXBYZnnzjNayaDFOEdHLI5I5QAZWAv Y2yItv6IEIp0mFTcdo5xeHZ0oEY02bxvEMNC5M4qQdx2jniJJ7 R0cXIq6z14/gWrh S5z3N cJYshs2Y/WwwudKDcpO0QiVP a a/eIn7o2nHyTz4/H Ts3B439nyeub7eZBQWoMo 4JNjlebb00yBDs5v25GJ0n8fO8tO9q8RolaT PneWne1eIwiBrQIEKhMACoTAgQwBeGp88KM4ObMAFzD1BR3GNt 4Nr7r7DETkorJpCDk6KefNJze6ruX5790QyOVynyRcgBs qv5wc2nVGPGMWYGxA2nrvu2RHqJ5c5gADYBsEVH6tHTKUeJZ/hfP5CqJuIk2tbJRzDmhsmEsY1Or gAVE euWRlyz87mdh9HmXfa5jVKlR50pOUm3titX9WSwWdULZDYpLPh PzF/op0b gbZWv0rFLlOoFpZKG2Vg YsBsF1At0xfzp5OEXztftiHpCm42U8v6S5dDjlKR2gQxVg5wG2 9XqjtWrNLxdNITeqBj9Z WfXHFkQkhLcpmCEcxLBSOu8d6li2XNZfsgD8ImRcXSofvlCZcC UEsSigTRBoYTNgpZgF6L3wZMJxQTNABGpqNVcvcliWNzsGPCDY DoQZ7YcmeF2Wh1YjseVDQOTezJcJNDilJNAzQ4T9RsvuOcc0Oy O1adkh5TodjKR92UcWaWb4N98PbfDbzxa0RLKs6JoJyJMpeZFH 0RJ0nRJPQo 3aDsIYXsy9OcLXQlQlsSOlgAbIzC4FrjK26IVfPaVhxkuCTuws LdcT2SYKLZjNK6KenYB7FWvgdfBa20WOxhzRWsMo3z6QkzEKTC Cp2h Te2wg/NYc8Y2voWlt9JCSEcWs2V7EjINa2UVaehOLRFSYVNx/9h95YfNSAd4MRTEijTlXOxcx0ndEyVZNuLkddZK0df1Alt7gk5 f4vtpkCHtSHvRSuub7aZAiLY qMRpL4 d5ad7V4jRI0n8fO8tO9q8R4QvAQIECAQIbnzgilmyEOMYpOJn1 U3iqeU81hkAq3A3FidgHSbCLihSlSJOjFM YWfwEzw7ifmg uNHigtG6haXlqbSJQxZlWmLi2dDWiDpKTWUh/fKZ0Um3GLy5d7/SFwOq9 iObm4pyla0dHBzQiqeyp1gQYw9tvJbs2HzZRUFo1U6Us1Lgggj Ij9ZQnVPUSfXpMeXNlosuYZZVgTcgBr5DZnGvDK1T8M/1MafZejWrmiFsKiosJY5SKfn2 e3Mg /qiw0lrXKxXTE/MBkvax9QEQdfNG1VJMlyKmes3EmNcC4VAuVAIsL2wxlhG5zWaH 9rJmZMpSSd7G1twtbPzwo651AyCSR/C3ejOCCaGFstdGzTNq5TMAC89GYAWW5cMbDmjtgOZjhur8wLU0 5OwTZf9Vo7kojORcdCy0FeCaEgwolPYt9kJlmDcw2hhoTHXhJa FGGWhgOYoZfbC7w2YBEauOUcvn0lq9U lPlW6ndD MdMrGjJJTB9KUQ k0s9qMxv5hFLQtpnekS0YDhdpcVPKcDNJhz32ZSDAqtd6yZUT5 FDQceKd LmOZoU4gSDyTbK6sNp2boyfCFrBpNpKCqoxTSmcKWExXLMQSFu CSBZSdm6FvZKdM5/XTTa1z0wigrsCshXHLfwk2ZjwWU/NYc8KeWDESYljCSS0Ntt2yT7lYsoUghtj7FFvCLX2W2mHZwQuB LBCAWvc3cja5B2X5oZpsRuoJAa2IbjbZeLSlpANsRyTSVG3Fxu X1HUNREPuGV1zfbTIEPalge45f1pvtpkCJs1aMFpP4 d5ad7V4jRI0mfh53lp3tXiNeGYrQq8ETCC8NPMyuATnbK20C9v NDQCWp5lROlUknw5zBb/RX5zHoABJ6AY77oDQNPQU4lygFVRieYbBnIHKd2/QAFtkcp4JqYPpOY7DOTIOG4zBYot g2Zh2xueF6vaVoyaFNjMZJV99ma7DtVSO0xaMpO2VVdwyUaTCi SZs1VJBmLhUG29VY3I67RtdE6Sp66n4xCsyVMBVlYbD85GU7CO bqPTHlpbAR1DgK0gwqKinucLS1nAbgUZUNusTB9kRTRJB1m0D7 21gloT7nqcTSgfmMCMSX3gXGfMy3zEa/gR Iqv/ACW/oWHOG6lvQpNHhSp6MDzBlZSPPh80M8BrXpqk89Sx86LEpJOynJ uKT8M3w3yXeuplRWdmkWVVBZmPGPkAMyYyM/U3SSJxjUc7Da5sLsBzlQSw7RHd9ZdYKChmidUMonsgRLKXmcWG Y2AHgqSTnle2 0WWr2sFPWy Np3xKGwtcFWVrA2IPQR0Q7JPK6PeFRvOGPQyU9csxFCrUJjYDZ xisVcgbrjAesmMKBFAKo8XGJgVmbECqqCzMVN7ADM7I6edb5yr imaOqlVRdnKsAoG0klQAOsxzKlqmkzJc9PClOrr1qwI9Uep5Ey XVU4PhS58sHrWYuzzGIaKTaMJL0pLaQKgNaWUx3O0KBc3HOLEW 6Iz8rW YwDS9H1To2YcISCOcEKR98ZqdUPKp5ui//wCwqfc6jYWRnJuOgsPM4jvdLLl0VGqk2l00kAk71lpm3WbE9sJ IHI5xovWiXNEwOrU7ybGYswYcIOw3OzqI3xCl60zZ7EUNFOqQD YvYqgPXY27SIzWqmjn0pXMkwkJNdqqpsSCUDclAea72HQ19wjt mtK02jabGy4JaWSXLRRcnOyKMhewJz5iYdB2Zzuo0tpKTyp i5gTe0tsZUc5Cg/faLDQunpFUuKU1yPCQizrfnHN0jKNBqrr/IrJpkGVMkTcONUmADGo24Tz2ztbZe17GM7wm6EFK6aUp1Csjqt Qi5LMRzbEQN5PJPPcHaIKBSZX1mtdprypNLPnmWcLsillB5uSD 07bbIKi1nLTVkzaadTs98HGKVDFRcjMCLXgdcNN0iym4abLYHn DcYR9xg E/wDvDRv t/wgC2Z/Smn2415MmnnT2S2MopYKWFwDYH9AxC0DVu2lKFp0ibIAZlHGKy 4iVe1rgXzYDtjW8Ffy7Sf1pP8A2RI4TD /aJ8uf6pcMVh8H64dKaXX/wDVG 00w/jETh3b91phz1F/NLb84manNbTWlFO0iU3mA70V3D0/wNKvPNc ZQPxgEco4yGJ63IAg5ZJsBmYtKWhtmdvqiJyUTeHG5P7CKClwj PbFoBYQaSgBEepqAI5cydnbiEaR0zUs/ucv60320yBCNQjehlHnad7eZAjpo5OyMDpVvh5/lp3tXiC9Qo cOoZwrWAuZ88KFI46cCMwfjX3xAkTEUFWQHnseWOyETigqysOx Cc9vP2c0NSp1lIK3vmSTv54WKaW5urFTfY11I6jsMKn0yK4DY2 cMJBBtnu27I1UopaMHCTd2bLgVqANITkO15Bt0lXQn7rxuOGSk L6MdgCeLeW56sWAnsxRx6k08JFVIrJQJaU3KU2GJSCrL1lWYds eiaOsp62mDIVmSpyFSNtwwsyMNxGYI3QXY2qwebNGTOUt1RVsS SU5N uOhcDtPjr6qoW2BJSyrgWUl2Q5eiPniXVcEDBiKetKSWJ5DS8b KDtAIYBvujfaravSaCRxMq9rlndrYnNs2NsgLCwG4CElkbdoy3 DfVBdHqm ZORR1KGcn/aPPETgF SVHl/ tIxHCtrWtbULLkvikU IKw2O5tjYHYV5IAPQSMjG34BfklR5f8A60hklVwtW986W9rcQd v15kWfAk/y5fmichA6SHB/pEUHDjMK11Ow2iRl9uZFvwDTCy1rHe8s/dMhVmyrVUR G2TjqaJdl1m tTHMaqjdDmLjnEdV4YDUP1Zv8AxjNzacMM4y5ORxkjfh4ozi72 YVgNkd04FdL8bRGSxu1M5QZ3OByXQ cuvUojnT6IRsigi24PqgUek0lg2l1SFMzkHHKTtutv9SHDlUnR PJwOCuzV1 qeLT8moA5DS2qG5uMkhZY6s3lN54kcMOkmWlSlln4SrmLLA34F ILnzlAehjHQbb7ZxyDTNX7r0y5BvLoUwLstxpybtuWH mI1MEh/gjpVl1ukEA LWVLX6q4hftwgxJ4YWJm6NQ A09i3NdTKC37GaK3RNeKLS OYcMmsTAWPgrMUrYknZmAP443Ov2rBrqdURwk2W4mSnOwMLgg2 3H1gQD0zB1jYdL6NZfCLMp58Jy9TNG/4RkB0ZV3GXFE9oIIPnAjOaq6l1a1iVlfMls0pSspJdyLsCCzEg WyZst5I2WhfC9pgCnWhlnFPqmUBAc1QOCWNtgJUDPbZuYwIHll PwBMSlWSbnFK9UyJnCif7Q0b/rf8YZ4JMMirrqUnlfBOg3sqhgx/3p541WvGp/u8SmWcZM2SzFHw4hZrXBFxvUZwCM3wTn990l1yf yJPCe4Wt0UTsE8k/alxdajanCgM12ntOmz8ONioReRitZbk35RuSebIRlOG YVehZdoeYR1ji4BpWyZqrUKdP19iCGkqwPUJAP8AVFbw7ksaFB Y4jOPm4ofiYy2quqszSs6oZqjiWlYQSJeLEGxZZMtvB6Yc1x1F bRqSZ5qeOxTQgUyymG6kk3Lt9G0K8WOkpUVFBQhBznefy6IsQo UQZAUZ5RBmTGc4U2WJ2gZDaSTsHTHHTk7Z6TagqQKqr3D/ANCKSoqrnb27uyLGbTyHAAqQp3goyrfoY7R0mIczRaq2Ez5a5X uTcW3EYb3jaFLf9HNydpLFf5Ov8HB/s6R1zfbzIOEcH64aCSoIYAzQGF7H4aZmLiBG1nLRzvS/yio8vP8AbPGdnpefY3z5uqNFpb5RP8vP9s8UFSPh16h6jCWyno mFjhK3OE7urpiudSm82zsb23ZjrixKxHqFurXG6GFtESXmCRZV GVzmYsdCaw1VC2KmmsgbNlIDI31kNx0X29Iiuo0uCdtjkN17bY Fd809cCVCbb2dBl8M1eFsZFMx58LjzgTPyii07r3X1qlJkxUln wklrgVhzMblmHQTaMmGziYgsLfq8XFJkhJJVdgv0n8o0GrWuFZ QI8un4rC74ziQsb2C5ZjcBFHaBFUgLLWDWCorpqTqjBiRcC4Vw i1ycxc72MSNWta6ug4wU5l2mlWbGpY3W9rWI kYpTBwdUBd6X1qqaudJm1HF/A4guAYfCte fQIt6aoVxiBjGkRIo6x5ZyzXmjHl4u2Ub8PKoYZsw0Q1p2qK6j p0Nn40TCwyKKhxEjpsjHrAiHTaYRsicJ5j cStVNY0o62dUPJmT2ZAkvi7EKpsWJ6eSB9qMeOFSya807jj07r rBpRaamm1DWtLRm62tZR2sQO2OU6jUjLT8c cyodpzMdpxHknLn2/xQnWzWyZpSWlHJpp8lXmI01nGWBbmxO7Ozfwjni3kfB2QCygBc P0cOQt0WjZs5or0GmNFS6mWZcwZHMEeEjbmB54rqPSOmKJQkpp VXKGSCZlMVea JT5y0XivzQLQJlSimVc7XHTU0YUpqeRceGxxEdIBYj/AGmI h9AskxqiommfUvtdtig7lH3X5sgBF5AY5QWCikUmmdEzDNSrpZ vFVMsWDbmXPksLHnI6QbHdZR190wBhNHTlxljucPXbjPx7Imzp l8hEKoaw/WcNEtJsq6LS2mJc55wmyXeaqhsYJVQhYqqgABRyjs2xT6waYrK 6ai1Rlfu7NbApFybYhtzHJH3xqpK4Rc9sZUyWDviHziR/mxZgwpvrEvigpSyL0HpKroXmtSGVaaVLY1JthvYCx/zGF6f01XVyolSZIRHDjApDXAI59liYUqWiHXVGHIbTujCM5NUb vhjdkKun3Ntw/V4p9JIzNiAytawvu9cTnB2nfDbwlJp4LlFSVMpxMMSUdDa5K89 xfzWg6iUpO0A9Yhn3OPpDziOhNNHE04ujuHB3b3vk785ufP8PM gQODhf7Okdc328yDhklpVaCpWmMWppBJeYSTKQknjGzNxnDA1e o/FKf0MvuwIEA3oH7PUfilP6GX3YH7PUfilP6GX3YECAQv8AZyj8 Up/QS 7CRq7R KU/oZfdgoEAgzq7R KU/oZfdgLq7R KU/oZfdg4EMGD9naPxSn9DL7sK/Zyi8Up/QS 7AgQwEHV2j8Up/Qy 7D37OUXilN6CX3YECAAfs3ReKU3oJfdhk6u0filP6GX3YECAAv 2eo/FKf0MvuxM0doamW GnkrnulIN3QIECIZSLU0Mr/CT7C/lDVVo Tf4qXu Yv5QUCEtjFJo T/hS/sL UO 4ZX En2F/KDgRQBe4ZX En2F/KEzKCV/hS/sL UFAgAaOjZP DL wv5Qh9GSMQ BlejX8oECGITU6MkW JlejX8oiaQ0LTYwfc8m/PxSflBwImWio7G20LTeLyfRJ UInav0l/ktP6GX3YECJiaSCGr9J4rT hl92COr9J4rT hl92DgRTGtBfs9R KU/oZfdgv2do/FKf0MvuwIEMwZpdD0MpJSqkpFUF7KqKAOW2wAZQIECGSf/9k=

baseline bum
04-06-2022, 04:55 PM
It's kind of funny the way they're trying to sanitize Spencer Haywoods image though, as if he was being blacklisted for not playing college ball and beating the NBA at the supreme court instead of for his massive coke problem. Can't wait to see how they portray Haywood getting kicked off the team in the Finals for being so stoned the team thought he was dead in a practice. Wonder if they'll show him literally putting a hit on coach Westhead.

baseline bum
04-07-2022, 07:43 PM
Wonder if Kareem and Haywood really were friends like on the show. Because I seem to remember Kareem hated playing with Haywood because Haywood couldn't catch the ball and would put this sticky shit all over his hands that completely fucked Kareem's touch on his skyhook when that shit would get all over the ball.

MultiTroll
04-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Wonder if Kareem and Haywood really were friends like on the show. Because I seem to remember Kareem hated playing with Haywood because Haywood couldn't catch the ball and would put this sticky shit all over his hands that completely fucked Kareem's touch on his skyhook when that shit would get all over the ball.
I'm not doubting the truthfullness of the stickem given the spineless media especially Lakers but is there somewhere we can read this?

lefty
04-07-2022, 09:07 PM
:lol now I want to read the Showtime book by Jeff Pearlman

baseline bum
04-08-2022, 02:07 AM
I'm not doubting the truthfullness of the stickem given the spineless media especially Lakers but is there somewhere we can read this?

I don't remember where I heard it.

MultiTroll
04-08-2022, 01:44 PM
Apparently been used for years.
Stern Jr, for that matter NFL does nothing about it.

What Is Stickum and Why Did Dwight Howard Use It on His Hands? | GQ (https://www.gq.com/story/what-is-stickum-and-why-did-dwight-howard-use-it-on-his-hands)

baseline bum
04-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Learned how the mob wanted to keep Tarkanian in Vegas and how close he was to coaching the Fakers.
To the point of hit being made on Vic Weiss (and later 3 others altho Weiss related not Laker related). Wow.

I started reading the book and apparently Vic Weiss was killed for skimming off the money he was laundering for the mob between Las Vegas and LA, he was warned once and given no second warning.

lefty
04-10-2022, 12:42 PM
I started reading the book and apparently Vic Weiss was killed for skimming off the money he was laundering for the mob between Las Vegas and LA, he was warned once and given no second warning.

Yup that’s what I found on the web as well

The HBO show is 50% fake news tbh

Killakobe81
04-10-2022, 02:13 PM

Yeah that part was known …. Show is implying it was a message to keep shark but honestly that was a secondary motive/message.
Show is not a documentary it’s dramedy inspired by true events. Let’s be real …. I love documentaries but no way it would grab the attention this show does. Hell the last dance was a controlled narrative documentary that doesn’t do nearly as well without the pandemic. I’m cool with the depictions despite it not being historically accurate or it shading some of my childhood heroes… there is just enough truth in the depictions it does not bother me. My fucking team sucks ass now so I welcome the entertaining distractions. I believe lakers are doing a true documentary I look forward to that even the I inevitable shit it will take on this series accuracy issues.

lefty
04-10-2022, 02:42 PM
Yeah that part was known …. Show is implying it was a message to keep shark but honestly that was a secondary motive/message.
Show is not a documentary it’s dramedy inspired by true events. Let’s be real …. I love documentaries but no way it would grab the attention this show does. Hell the last dance was a controlled narrative documentary that doesn’t do nearly as well without the pandemic. I’m cool with the depictions despite it not being historically accurate or it shading some of my childhood heroes… there is just enough truth in the depictions it does not bother me. My fucking team sucks ass now so I welcome the entertaining distractions. I believe lakers are doing a true documentary I look forward to that even the I inevitable shit it will take on this series accuracy issues.

Well Magic is releasing a a controlled narrative doc on Apple+ soon

baseline bum
04-10-2022, 06:05 PM
Well Magic is releasing a a controlled narrative doc on Apple+ soon

Think he'll come out on it?

MultiTroll
04-10-2022, 08:16 PM
Rodney Barnes one of the producers and interviewed by Rick Fox after Ep 5.
How tall is that dude?
Kareem (the actor) and Magic (the actor) sitting on the couch next to his chair and he looked taller then both of them.
And 400 pounds too.
https://foxinterviewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Rodeny-1-rotated.jpg

Killakobe81
04-10-2022, 09:24 PM
Worst lie in the show was Buss turning the team over to his wife, that shit never happened supposedly.

This was addressed this week told you ti chill the book is solid it’s based on but show has taken some dramatic license but it’s still based on facts.

lefty
04-10-2022, 10:03 PM
:lol Magic losing out on 5.2-Billions for generic shoe design he shared with Bird and other players

Astute business man my ass

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1252259480349421568

Killakobe81
04-10-2022, 10:54 PM
:lol Magic losing out on 5.2-Billions for generic shoe design he shared with Bird and other players

Astute business man my ass

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1252259480349421568
Bullshit. He missed out here as did Bird Dr. J etc.
Magic didn’t know shit about business circa 79-80 ..,
It wasn’t until Buss got his own affairs in order could he take Magic under his wing.
Hell the Executives of my former company told Magic Nike wouldn’t last …
And it’s a big shock that a player pampered through HS didn’t know about stock options?!
I’m more impressed by Magic $500 or so millions than with MJ and his fortune he was not as popular as mJ didn’t have the Nike money … but still did well Buss and his management helped him learn businesses he should be credited not clowned …
For his business acumen ..,
Clown him for his whoring, his talk show, coaching announcing and gM skills but he a proven success at business. And the goat PG

baseline bum
04-10-2022, 11:34 PM
Bullshit. He missed out here as did Bird Dr. J etc.
Magic didn’t know shit about business circa 79-80 ..,
It wasn’t until Buss got his own affairs in order could he take Magic under his wing.
Hell the Executives of my former company told Magic Nike wouldn’t last …
And it’s a big shock that a player pampered through HS didn’t know about stock options?!
I’m more impressed by Magic $500 or so millions than with MJ and his fortune he was not as popular as mJ didn’t have the Nike money … but still did well Buss and his management helped him learn businesses he should be credited not clowned …
For his business acumen ..,
Clown him for his shoring talk show coaching gM skills but he a proven success at business.

I'm kind of pissed Magic never took Fatburger national when he owned them. God damn I miss Fatburger after leaving LA. Thankfully we have In N Out here now and the one on the NE side of town is every bit as good as the In N Outs I used to eat at in Westwood and in Hollywood, but it was nice having the Fatburger option when I wanted a thick ass burger too. Although they weren't that great at the Fatburger on the other side of the 405. Was hoping Magic would get Fatburger's quality uniform and expand out of LA. Always loved grabbing that shit at 2AM like Cube though. Even risked walking past a huge line of LAPD when Westwood was rioting to grab a Kingburger and Fat Fries one night. :lol

baseline bum
04-10-2022, 11:38 PM
This was addressed this week told you ti chill the book is solid it’s based on but show has taken some dramatic license but it’s still based on facts.

Also, this was a pretty shitty episode tonight while the series has mostly been rock solid despite the inaccuracies. Westhead just ain't that interesting and I was hoping they'd get right to Riley getting promoted to assistant coach.

baseline bum
04-10-2022, 11:38 PM

Killakobe81
04-11-2022, 12:10 AM
I'm kind of pissed Magic never took Fatburger national when he owned them. God damn I miss Fatburger after leaving LA. Thankfully we have In N Out here now and the one on the NE side of town is every bit as good as the In N Outs I used to eat at in Westwood and in Hollywood, but it was nice having the Fatburger option when I wanted a thick ass burger too. Although they weren't that great at the Fatburger on the other side of the 405. Was hoping Magic would get Fatburger's quality uniform and expand out of LA. Always loved grabbing that shit at 2AM like Cube though. Even risked walking past a huge line of LAPD when Westwood was rioting to grab a Kingburger and Fat Fries one night. :lol
Prefer fat burger too used to them in SA they finally opened two spots in DFW …
But in n out and fat burger are appples to oranges fat is more like a restaurant style burger in n out is closer to fast food fat is more like a Red Robin Fuve guys or Johnny rocket’s stylistic wise and pricing

MultiTroll
04-11-2022, 12:56 AM
Is Dr. Day wanting to act like an agent for Magic true? Certainly during the shoe negotiations.
Google isn't showing anything.

MultiTroll
04-11-2022, 01:32 PM
Jerry Buss liquoring and whoring up the bankers is 100% believable.
Even if that part was fabricated, no doubt in my mind Buss' MO when the MVPau for Kwame heist came down.

Grandma Buss really sit on the paperwork or was that entirely dramatized?

lefty
04-11-2022, 01:55 PM
Brody looking more like Pat Riley the way he was standing and the gum chewing

baseline bum
04-11-2022, 02:05 PM
Jerry Buss liquoring and whoring up the bankers is 100% believable.
Even if that part was fabricated, no doubt in my mind Buss' MO when the MVPau for Kwame heist came down.

Grandma Buss really sit on the paperwork or was that entirely dramatized?

Might as well just read the book. Library Genesis has it for free.

MultiTroll
04-11-2022, 03:08 PM
Might as well just read the book. Library Genesis has it for free.
Is there one book that tells the truth?
Or does it just get closer?
Pretty sure the upcoming Jeanie Buss doc will be heavily tainted / ommissions.

And Fagics will be garbage propaganda per his MO.

baseline bum
04-11-2022, 05:45 PM
Magic is like that, unselfish on the court yes but everything had to be about himself

Got his coach fired, backstabbed Isiah, got any dick he wanted, bailed out on the Lakers FO without notice, etc

Reading the Showtime book, it sounded like Westhead had it coming. The author, Pearlman, says Westhead scrapped McKinney's offense and slowed it down to be focused on dumping it to Kareem in the post in 1980-81 and the players hated it. That the players were especially pissed playing this brand of basketball against the Rockets in the 81 playoffs because Kareem couldn't hang with Moses Malone on the block and they were playing right into the Rockets' strategy. Westhead claims he slowed it down because Magic hurt his knee but Pearlman says the new offense was implemented from the beginning of the season. Then Pearlman claims Bill Sharman and Jerry West were pissed that Westhead wanted a ballhogging Mike McGee with their 81 draft pick while West and Sharman badly wanted Larry Nance. Then Westhead got Buss to sign Mitch Kupchack's scrub ass for $800k a year back when Kareem was making ~$650k.

Westhead's lackluster pro career after the Lakers leads me to believe Pearlman's side more than his. That he was fired for being a shitty coach and not some victim of an unjustified mutiny.

Also LOL Kareem, did that guy ever disappoint every time he went against another top center in his time in LA. Got the broom from Walton in 77, got his teeth kicked in by Moses in 81 and 83, then went down in 5 to Olajuwon and a bunch of pipe hitters in 86. Abdul-Jabbar has to be the most overrated player in NBA history.

lefty
04-11-2022, 06:03 PM
Reading the Showtime book, it sounded like Westhead had it coming. The author, Pearlman, says Westhead scrapped McKinney's offense and slowed it down to be focused on dumping it to Kareem in the post in 1980-81 and the players hated it. That the players were especially pissed playing this brand of basketball against the Rockets in the 81 playoffs because Kareem couldn't hang with Moses Malone on the block and they were playing right into the Rockets' strategy. Westhead claims he slowed it down because Magic hurt his knee but Pearlman says the new offense was implemented from the beginning of the season. Then Pearlman claims Bill Sharman and Jerry West were pissed that Westhead wanted a ballhogging Mike McGee with their 81 draft pick while West and Sharman badly wanted Larry Nance. Then Westhead got Buss to sign Mitch Kupchack's scrub ass for $800k a year back when Kareem was making ~$650k.

Westhead's lackluster pro career after the Lakers leads me to believe Pearlman's side more than his. That he was fired for being a shitty coach and not some victim of an unjustified mutiny.

Also LOL Kareem, did that guy ever disappoint every time he went against another top center in his time in LA. Got the broom from Walton in 77, got his teeth kicked in by Moses in 81 and 83, then went down in 5 to Olajuwon and a bunch of pipe hitters in 86. Abdul-Jabbar has to be the most overrated player in NBA history.
I have to read the book, but did the players or the FO talk to Westhead about it before firing him?
Because we all know Magic went to Buss bitching with his “him or me” tactic.
But :lol giving mote money to Cupcake vs Kareem

And yes Kareem got his ass handed to him by all the other HOF centers :lol

baseline bum
04-11-2022, 06:11 PM
I have to read the book, but did the players or the FO talk to Westhead about it before firing him?
Because we all know Magic went to Buss bitching with his “him or me” tactic.
But :lol giving mote money to Cupcake vs Kareem

And yes Kareem got his ass handed to him by all the other HOF centers :lol

Seriously, my biggest Kupchack memory is him starting a fight with Olajuwon in Game 5 of the 86 WCF to get Akeem ejected out of the game. And still lost anyways. :lol

MultiTroll
04-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Reading the Showtime book, it sounded like Westhead had it coming.

Also LOL Kareem,
Sound like a good summary here too?:
Paul Westhead's Vanishing Wasn't Done by 'Magic' - The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1981/12/15/paul-westheads-vanishing-wasnt-done-by-magic/5adbbc5a-dd50-43cf-96a3-540065185abe/)

Broody Kream: Don't forget to add Robert Parish in 84 including the clutch Game 7 steal. Huge reason (IMO) Celts derailed in 1985 was Bitch Kupchaks super cheat shot injuring Parrish. Lefty saw it and can testify.
Lakers did play much better in 85 tho.

lefty
04-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Seriously, my biggest Kupchack memory is him starting a fight with Olajuwon in Game 5 of the 86 WCF to get Akeem ejected out of the game. And still lost anyways. :lol
Lol I’m sure Riley was behind that fight, he knew it would result in an uneven ejection

Desperate move down 3-1 imo

Not surprisingly, Riley’s Heat started a brawl down 3-1-vs NY in 1997

MultiTroll
04-13-2022, 01:48 PM
:lol now I want to read the Showtime book by Jeff Pearlman

Yeah that part was known ….
Is the truth out there in book form?
Any book(s) other then Showtime you have read or know have accuracy?

https://assets-cms.thescore.com/uploads/image/file/355414/w768xh576_GettyImages-1141582143.jpg?ts=1558374087

MultiTroll
04-15-2022, 04:56 PM
While Magic claims he won't watch Winning Time (and none of us believe that).....

EJ Johnson Steals the Show in Silver Gown as He Hits Dad Magic Johnson's Doc Premiere with Family (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/entertainment-celebrity/ej-johnson-steals-the-show-in-silver-gown-as-he-hits-dad-magic-johnson-s-doc-premiere-with-family/ar-AAWgCjo?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f651d95c773d4ea090763fcbbf98b2c8)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/entertainment-celebrity/ej-johnson-steals-the-show-in-silver-gown-as-he-hits-dad-magic-johnson-s-doc-premiere-with-family/ar-AAWgCjo?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f651d95c773d4ea090763fcbbf98b2c8&fullscreen=true#image=2
https://www.bing.com/images/blob?bcid=s9WsmHaCbA4EOA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/entertainment-celebrity/ej-johnson-steals-the-show-in-silver-gown-as-he-hits-dad-magic-johnson-s-doc-premiere-with-family/ar-AAWgCjo?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f651d95c773d4ea090763fcbbf98b2c8&fullscreen=true#image=2

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-16-2022, 04:46 PM
But how did Magic get the AIDS?

baseline bum
04-16-2022, 06:40 PM
But how did Magic get the AIDS?

Wasn't a drug user and caught it long after transfusions started screening for HIV, pretty much leaving only one way.

Thread
04-16-2022, 07:08 PM
Wasn't a drug user and caught it long after transfusions started screening for HIV, pretty much leaving only one way.

The wazoo?

Killakobe81
04-17-2022, 08:48 PM
Love the way they portrayed Bird as a no nonsense killer

Killakobe81
04-17-2022, 08:49 PM
And the garden as a shithole

sickdsm
04-17-2022, 09:31 PM
Prefer fat burger too used to them in SA they finally opened two spots in DFW …
But in n out and fat burger are appples to oranges fat is more like a restaurant style burger in n out is closer to fast food fat is more like a Red Robin Fuve guys or Johnny rocket’s stylistic wise and pricing

I've never ate at a fatburger but never got the infatuation with In n out. Medoicre at best, is it a thing like people enjoy the food more when there hungry? I have a thing for White Castle but that's just because its a greasy shitty little burger when a guy is starving......

baseline bum
04-17-2022, 09:44 PM
And the garden as a shithole

Fucking disgraceful the way Boston treated Russell and his teams too. No one gave a shit because the team was too black, but all of a sudden when Cowens, Havlicek, Bird, and McHale are the faces of the franchise Boston Garden becomes this great home crowd? I remember hearing Russell saying he never played for Boston, he played for the Celtics. It's funny that Boston fan always wonders why Russell never enjoyed coming back and moved the fuck to Seattle as soon as he could when Boston fan only started giving a shit once the Celtics started becoming white.

Killakobe81
04-17-2022, 09:47 PM
I've never ate at a fatburger but never got the infatuation with In n out. Medoicre at best, is it a thing like people enjoy the food more when there hungry? I have a thing for White Castle but that's just because its a greasy shitty little burger when a guy is starving......

Couple things before the big brand fast food places were open late in n out was ….
Was great for after a high school football or basketball game … also great after a movie date a bar night etc.
The other thing it had was all fresh ingredients - you can taste it in the bread veggies and beef it was never frozen
So I and plenty of Californians appreciate that a lot more than the people I know in Texas who prefer large parties.
Also cost is decent it’s gone up but it was one of the better cheap food options that and El pollo loco were my staples.
Fat burger tastes better but it is more restaurant caliber in price and taste and time to cook

Killakobe81
04-17-2022, 09:49 PM
Fucking disgraceful the way Boston treated Russell and his teams too. No one gave a shit because the team was too black, but all of a sudden when Cowens, Havlicek, Bird, and McHale are the faces of the franchise Boston Garden becomes this great home crowd? I remember hearing Russell saying he never played for Boston, he played for the Celtics. It's funny that Boston fan always wonders why Russell never enjoyed coming back and moved the fuck to Seattle as soon as he could when Boston fan only started giving a shit once the Celtics started becoming white.

All facts fuck then forever …
I respect Bird …like Tatum… and udoka
But the rest of the Celtics now and forever can eat a dick.

baseline bum
04-17-2022, 10:16 PM
Love the way they portrayed a no nonsense killer

After reading the book the way this show just makes shit up for drama is getting annoying. There was no losing streak to Indiana and Detroit, the Lakers swept the season series with both of them. I actually watched the real game against the Celtics from January 1980 a few days ago and it was nothing like the way they portrayed it here, plus the score was 98-98 on that last possession and Nixon sank two free throws to win 100-98, not some buzzer beater by Cooper to win by 1. But the worst is how they portray Westhead. Westhead was 50-18 and pretty well liked by the team that season according the book this show is supposed to be based on. Westhead only pissed the players off the next season when he changed from McKinney's offense and got their ass sent home in Round 1 trying to make the series against Houston Kareem vs Moses.

baseline bum
04-17-2022, 10:17 PM
All facts fuck then forever …
I respect Bird …like Tatum… and udoka
But the rest of the Celtics now and forever can eat a dick.

LOL I had a friend in school who told me a rat stole his hot dog when he was at a game in Boston Garden.

baseline bum
04-17-2022, 10:19 PM
Also the book makes it sound like Riley was pretty submissive to the players his first couple of years as head coach, much less starting off as Westhead's assistant.

baseline bum
04-17-2022, 10:25 PM

Disagree, their burgers like Killa said were fresh back when every other fast food joint was frozen crap and they have pretty fresh tasting fries, you can see them making them out of fresh potatoes if you eat inside. Plus their shakes are killer while McDonalds, Whataburger, and all have these artificial ass shakes that taste like shit. The service is good too, I never get a burnt burger or a soggy bun or any low quality shit like that because they have been paying their workers well for decades so their workers give a shit about quality control. Whereas if I go to Whataburger it's a real crapshoot; eg their patty melt is great when it's fresh, but 2/3 of the time I get one it's on soggy ass bread and fucking gross and reminds me why I don't go there much any more.

Killakobe81
04-17-2022, 11:20 PM
Disagree, their burgers like Killa said were fresh back when every other fast food joint was frozen crap and they have pretty fresh tasting fries, you can see them making them out of fresh potatoes if you eat inside. Plus their shakes are killer while McDonalds, Whataburger, and all have these artificial ass shakes that taste like shit. The service is good too, I never get a burnt burger or a soggy bun or any low quality shit like that because they have been paying their workers well for decades so their workers give a shit about quality control. Whereas if I go to Whataburger it's a real crapshoot; eg their patty melt is great when it's fresh, but 2/3 of the time I get one it's on soggy ass bread and fucking gross and reminds me why I don't go there much any more.

In DFW it’s the same … two different locations in Frisco … for Whataburger and one can give you great service and fresh food the next soggy bun dry burger. In n out I taste a slight difference in Texas but service is 10x better than Whataburger in fact from. Fast food perspective only chick fil a is on par

daslicer
04-17-2022, 11:26 PM
Also the book makes it sound like Riley was pretty submissive to the players his first couple of years as head coach, much less starting off as Westhead's assistant.

I don't think the portrayal of Westhead is accurate. I have watched some clips and interviews of Westhead on YouTube and he strikes me personality wise as a very strong aggressive guy that doesn't take shit from anyone. On the show they portray Westhead as this weak guy who lacks confidence and is not assertive.

baseline bum
04-17-2022, 11:31 PM
I don't think the portrayal of Westhead is accurate. I have watched some clips and interviews of Westhead on YouTube and he strikes me personality wise as a very strong aggressive guy that doesn't take shit from anyone. On the show they portray Westhead as this weak guy who lacks confidence and is not assertive.

One thing the book says that really got the team to respect Westhead was that he didn't take any bullshit from Spencer Haywood and sat his ass for being a druggie despite him easily being the third, maybe even second most talented player on that team. The 79-80 team fucking hated Haywood, especially Kareem. But then Showtime asserts Westhead tried to put his own offense in the next season now that he wasn't interim anymore, some simplistic college ball shit, and the players hated it but Buss had his back.

Highly recommend reading Showtime though. It's pretty funny reading Frank Brickowski's tales of Magic's parties, made me feel bad for Brick when the Spurs traded Mychal Thompson for him. Though I'm sure life was good for him here too, I still remember Mark Olberding talking about how much he loved the Mexican pussy in San Antonio when I was a little kid rebounding for him before a game. :lol

daslicer
04-17-2022, 11:47 PM
One thing the book says that really got the team to respect Westhead was that he didn't take any bullshit from Spencer Haywood and sat his ass for being a druggie despite him easily being the third, maybe even second most talented player on that team. The 79-80 team fucking hated Haywood, especially Kareem. But then Showtime asserts Westhead tried to put his own offense in the next season now that he wasn't interim anymore, some simplistic college ball shit, and the players hated it but Buss had his back.

Highly recommend reading Showtime though. It's pretty funny reading Frank Brickowski's tales of Magic's parties, made me feel bad for Brick when the Spurs traded Mychal Thompson for him. Though I'm sure life was good for him here too, I still remember Mark Olberding talking about how much he loved the Mexican pussy in San Antonio when I was a little kid rebounding for him before a game. :lol

I read 3 ring Circus which was by the same author that wrote Showtime. 3 Ring Circus was about the Shaq-Kobe Lakers from '96-'04. I found it pretty entertaining from a comedic standpoint. That team was truly filled with a bunch of clowns. Shaq and Kobe and both portrayed in the books as equally as rotten but in different ways. There are a lot of good stories about Shaq and Kobe in there that I didn't even know of. One that made me laugh was how Shaq was extremely angry after losing game 2 against the Spurs in the '02 playoffs that he confronted Devean George for playing bad and then Brian Shaw told him to cut it out. Shaq responded by grabbing Shaw by his torso and throwing him across the room and screaming "Don't' ever disrespect me like that again"

HBO should have made a show based off that book since they wouldn't have to fictionalize it for it to be entertaining. I'm not sure if they will do it in the future since Kobe looks really bad in the book even outside of the rape allegations.

MultiTroll
04-18-2022, 12:40 AM
Spencer Haywood and sat his ass for being a druggie despite him easily being the third, maybe even second most talented player on that team.
Haywood must have been one incredible talent in his prime. To be that drugged out and still playing well in games on the 79-80 Flamers, wow.

lefty
04-18-2022, 12:58 AM
Lol this show has made Cooper look like a fucking clown :lol

daslicer
04-18-2022, 02:09 AM

I was born during the 80's so I missed out on the showtime era but Cooper in his interviews on youtube does strike me as a clown.

baseline bum
04-18-2022, 02:51 AM

He's worse in the book. Always paranoid about getting cut, then paranoid about getting traded. He's the one who Bird was talking mad shit to in that game shown in last night's episode after Cooper talked to him like he was another Mike Dunleavy or something.

MultiTroll
04-18-2022, 08:20 AM
The show goes out of it's way to repeatedly portray Westhead as the insecure / indecive.
Completely lies about the losses and way season unfolded too. Will post next time.

One thing the book says that really got the team to respect Westhead was that he didn't take any bullshit from Spencer Haywood and sat his ass for being a druggie despite him easily being the third, maybe even second most talented player on that team. The 79-80 team fucking hated Haywood, especially Kareem. But then Showtime asserts Westhead tried to put his own offense in the next season now that he wasn't interim anymore, some simplistic college ball shit, and the players hated it but Buss had his back.79-80 b.s. portrayals below.

MultiTroll
04-18-2022, 09:00 AM
Pacers 127
Lakers 104
As the team is unraveling and Westhead is having anxiety attacks.
Complete fabricated b.s.

Reality?:
Lakers 127
Pacers 104
As the Lakers improved to 14-5. Also did NOT play Detroit the next night.

"Pistons 138
Lakers 116" next night the show claims.
Complete fabricated bullshit.

Reality?
Lakers 138
Pacers 122
this was in January the night before the Lakers @ Celtics. LA@Celtics did have a large Boston lead at halftime. Was never "79-66 end of third" but LA did overcome a halftime deficit as Chris Ford shit the bed. 100-98 Lakers @ Celtics in the end. (Not sure why show spun 99-98 but whatever.) Magic scored 1 point and had 2 assists. Sounds like he got benched.

Nor was LA even in Detroit nor anywhere Michigan near XMass day.
Nor did they lose to Detroit or Indy that 79-80 season, swept both 2-0 and rolled Detroit both times.
In fact there was no lull in their win %, pretty much stayed around .666 the whole season (McKinney 10-4 Westhead 50-18). A small 3 game losing steak early had them at 14-8, that was as bad as it got. Was the ONLY place the portrayal would even slightly fit.

We can take this as a total popcorn production.

MultiTroll
04-18-2022, 04:29 PM
:rolleyes more on Winning Times portrayal of Westheads 1st season being on the brink of disaster vs reality.:rollin

To say that Westhead found success in his first season in Los Angeles would be putting it mildly. His longest losing streak was two games, and that only happened twice. He had four separate win streaks of at least five games.

baseline bum
04-19-2022, 08:20 AM
Jeez, Riley comes off like a huge douchebag in the Showtime book. Especially running that geriatric team into the ground in their layoff before the 89 Finals when they were on an 11-0 run having swept the first three series, getting Bryon Scott injured for the series in a rebounding drill in that time off and likely contributing to Magic's hamstring pull in Game 2. What a fuckup taking a team that was 11-0 in the playoffs and running them into the ground with a second training camp right before facing the Pistons in the Finals. Also lol that the team mostly hated Kareem after 85-86.

lefty
04-19-2022, 09:45 AM
I was born during the 80's so I missed out on the showtime era but Cooper in his interviews on youtube does strike me as a clown.

He's worse in the book. Always paranoid about getting cut, then paranoid about getting traded. He's the one who Bird was talking mad shit to in that game shown in last night's episode after Cooper talked to him like he was another Mike Dunleavy or something.

:lol man I can't wait to read the books

lefty
04-19-2022, 09:52 AM
Jeez, Riley comes off like a huge douchebag in the Showtime book. Especially running that geriatric team into the ground in their layoff before the 89 Finals when they were on an 11-0 run having swept the first three series, getting Bryon Scott injured for the series in a rebounding drill in that time off and likely contributing to Magic's hamstring pull in Game 2. What a fuckup taking a team that was 11-0 in the playoffs and running them into the ground with a second training camp right before facing the Pistons in the Finals. Also lol that the team mostly hated Kareem after 85-86.
Riley wanted to control everything lol; the whole playbook, the cheerleaders, the music (it's no wonder he left NY for Miami as he wanted a bigger role)

Magic also acted like a shitty teammate after Kareem retired, berating his teammates during practice, especially Divac who was a rookie and had just joined the NBA when it wasn't global yet - sp he needed an adjustment period.

Magic also led a mutiny and leaked stuff to the press to get Riley fired, creating frictions with his teammates in the process and Cooper wanting to fight him during practice

:lol Rotten club to the core, good thing their 80s titles were there to hide how dysfunctional and toxic this franchise always has been

baseline bum
04-19-2022, 10:22 AM
Riley wanted to control everything lol; the whole playbook, the cheerleaders, the music (it's no wonder he left NY for Miami as he wanted a bigger role)

Magic also acted like a shitty teammate after Kareem retired, berating his teammates during practice, especially Divac who was a rookie and had just joined the NBA when it wasn't global yet - sp he needed an adjustment period.

Magic also led a mutiny and leaked stuff to the press to get Riley fired, creating frictions with his teammates in the process and Cooper wanting to fight him during practice

:lol Rotten club to the core, good thing their 80s titles were there to hide how dysfunctional and toxic this franchise always has been

Book says Riley was loved by the players early on because he was one of them, having been a role player in the 70s, and because he always welcomed their input. But by the mid 80s he started thinking he was hot shit and some superstar coach and was always pissed he didn't win COY for winning with such a ridiculously stacked roster even though scrub ass Westhead won a title with a less talented roster than any of Riley's title teams.

Also makes it sound like Magic started copying all of the bad traits of Riley once Abudl-Jabbar was gone.

lefty
04-19-2022, 10:31 AM
Book says Riley was loved by the players early on because he was one of them, having been a role player in the 70s, and because he always welcomed their input. But by the mid 80s he started thinking he was hot shit and some superstar coach and was always pissed he didn't win COY for winning with such a ridiculously stacked roster even though scrub ass Westhead won a title with a less talented roster than any of Riley's title teams.

Also makes it sound like Magic started copying all of the bad traits of Riley once Abudl-Jabbar was gone.
To be fair, I can see why the players were not happy with Riley anymore; micromanaging, not listening to players suggestions anymore, and to top it off, during the Suns series, pointing the finger at every Laker for playing lie shit except Magic and singling him out in the process :lol

I just think it could have been handled better but communication has never been the Lakers' forte.

MultiTroll
04-19-2022, 12:27 PM

Lenny Bias living, the Rockets guards not being decimated by Laker Stern and 85 was the end of Showtime imo.

baseline bum
04-19-2022, 02:54 PM
Lenny Bias living, the Rockets guards not being decimated by Laker Stern and 85 was the end of Showtime imo.

Stern putting his foot down on coke usage after Bias was the greatest thing he ever did. The NBA was losing so much talent to cocaine. Of course Bias. Spencer Haywood was a monster, like Giannis or DRob and would have probably been better than Kareem had he never touched the blow. Micheal Ray Richardson almost singlehandedly took down the same Sixers team in 84 that went 12-1 sweeping the Lakers for a title in 83. David Thompsons career ended with a whimper thanks to coke. Ice was a shell of his former self by 31 or 32 because of coke. Stern absolutely had to stop it and I'm grateful he took a hardline on it to clean up the league. Early 80s basketball was unwatchable outside of the Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, and Bucks with all the dope fiends in the league. Besides, Mitchell Wiggins, Lewis Lloyd, Rodney McCray, and Robert Reid weren't why the Rockets took the Lakers down. Kareem always pussing out when going against a truly elite bigman is why Houston won the conference in 86, just like when they won the conference in 81 and it was Moses bending the great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar over the table.

lefty
04-19-2022, 05:47 PM
^
Is that why his teammates hated him after the 86 season?

MultiTroll
04-19-2022, 06:39 PM
Stern putting his foot down on coke usage.
Entire league is on coke but only Rockets guards are put out for the 1987 year by Laker Stern.

1986 was a team win, with even Lewie Lloyd and Wiggins rising to the occasion to help shut down the Lakers.
Sure, Hakeem and Ralph Sampson were keys in working the vastly over rated Kream and Worthy.

baseline bum
04-19-2022, 07:04 PM
Entire league is on coke but only Rockets guards are put out for the 1987 year by Laker Stern.

1986 was a team win, with even Lewie Lloyd and Wiggins rising to the occasion to help shut down the Lakers.
Sure, Hakeem and Ralph Sampson were keys in working the vastly over rated Kream and Worthy.

Worthy's not overrated IMO, I think he was rated fine. He was never considered a franchise guy, just a really nice #2 option, which he was. Kareem being rated top 5 all-time by a lot of people though is laughable.

MultiTroll
04-20-2022, 08:43 AM
Jerry West demands retraction, apology over portrayal in HBO series 'Winning Time' (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33769604/jerry-west-demands-retraction-apology-portrayal-hbo-series-winning)

MultiTroll
04-20-2022, 09:22 AM
Chick Hern portrayed as a pretty douchie condescending-arrogant too. True?
And alcoholic?

:wow His daughter, Samantha Hearn, died of pneumonia May 24, 1991, brought on by anorexia.
:depressed

lefty
04-20-2022, 09:36 AM
Jerry West demands retraction, apology over portrayal in HBO series 'Winning Time' (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33769604/jerry-west-demands-retraction-apology-portrayal-hbo-series-winning)

Magic went and made an entirely different show to deflect

Kareem doesnt see the humor and wrote a blog about how problematic it is

Jerry West is angry and demands an apology

mmmmmmm....... they can't handle the truth :lol

LkrFan
04-20-2022, 10:09 AM
:lol at Kareem mad
:lol Logo wants an apology

baseline bum
04-20-2022, 10:37 AM
Probably the most fucked up thing I found in the Showtime book was how Magic kept stringing Cookie along, like how he was going to marry her in 1984 was called it off in 1985 because he wanted to keep getting strange. He only finally married her a fucking month and a half before the HIV diagnosis. Can't believe she stuck with him and they're still married.

MultiTroll
04-20-2022, 10:59 AM
^ wonder if she felt she was stuck in the projects and only way out?

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAWhuB1.img?w=768&h=576&m=6&x=169&y=61&s=662&d=173
daughter daughter Cookie Magic daughter-in-law son.
That how it goes?

lefty
04-20-2022, 11:00 AM
Oh great, The Last Gay Dance

smh :lol

lefty
04-20-2022, 11:02 AM
. Can't believe she stuck with him
His bank account, simple as that.
The Los Angeles Lakers signed Magic Johnson to a 25-year, $25 million contract extension effective from 1984,

LkrFan
04-20-2022, 01:41 PM

:lol :cry

MultiTroll
04-20-2022, 01:57 PM

Was the fairy conceived before or after they married?

lefty
04-23-2022, 02:30 AM
60% of this Apple Magic show js about his relationship with Cooki
meh

baseline bum
04-23-2022, 09:09 AM
meh

So about Magic stringing her along for twelve years and then only marrying her 1.5 months before being diagnosed as HIV positive?

MultiTroll
04-23-2022, 10:32 AM
meh

So about Magic stringing her along for twelve years and then only marrying her 1.5 months before being diagnosed as HIV positive?
Nov 7, 1991 HIV announcement.
June 4, 1992 EJ born

= +/- October 1991 EJ conceived.

Wait a minute you're saying Magic knew he had HIV and married Cookie about 1 1/2 months before the public announcement?
I'm trying to get at timeframe EJ conceived / when did Magic know he had HIV. Not casting any negative aspersions on Fagic or Cookie just wondering if they conceived EJ after he found out. Like maybe we better conceive before you (Magic) are unable to (early HIV information days).

lefty
04-23-2022, 10:34 AM
pretty much lol

MultiTroll
04-23-2022, 10:37 AM
Update:

The newlyweds had also just found out she was pregnant with their first child, E.J., now 24. Johnson said she agonized while she waited for her test results for herself and her unborn child.

"I was scared to death about the baby. I mean, I had just found out I was pregnant so it was really early in the pregnancy," she said. "In those days, you had to wait almost 10 days to get your results back, so that was agonizing. And then, finally, the results came in and what they told me was that if the mother is negative, then the baby is automatically negative. And they didn't have to worry about trying to test the baby because, really, I mean, he hadn't really formed yet, actually. I mean, it was very early on.”
Johnson also shared her heartache as she waited behind closed doors as her husband made phone calls to the various men he had slept with.
"It was like, 'Who is he calling? You know, why is he in there so long?' she said. "That was a difficult day."

Cookie Johnson: 'I Fell to My Knees' When Magic Revealed His HIV Diagnosis - ABC News (go.com) (https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/cookie-johnson-fell-knees-magic-revealed-hiv-diagnosis/story?id=42141924)

baseline bum
04-23-2022, 10:45 AM
I read 3 ring Circus which was by the same author that wrote Showtime. 3 Ring Circus was about the Shaq-Kobe Lakers from '96-'04. I found it pretty entertaining from a comedic standpoint. That team was truly filled with a bunch of clowns. Shaq and Kobe and both portrayed in the books as equally as rotten but in different ways. There are a lot of good stories about Shaq and Kobe in there that I didn't even know of. One that made me laugh was how Shaq was extremely angry after losing game 2 against the Spurs in the '02 playoffs that he confronted Devean George for playing bad and then Brian Shaw told him to cut it out. Shaq responded by grabbing Shaw by his torso and throwing him across the room and screaming "Don't' ever disrespect me like that again"

HBO should have made a show based off that book since they wouldn't have to fictionalize it for it to be entertaining. I'm not sure if they will do it in the future since Kobe looks really bad in the book even outside of the rape allegations.

I'm about halfway through Three Ring Circus and it's nowhere near as good as his Showtime book, not even close. Three Ring Circus feels so phoned in. I can't believe how quickly they rushed through the 2000-01 season when that's when Shaq & Kobe came so close to being broken up but instead became one of the top 4 or 5 teams in league history. All the trade rumors all season swept under the rug and the Bibby + Abdur Rahim for Kobe deal that nearly happened is mentioned only in passing with Shaq telling a reporter how high taxes are in Canada with Kobe in earshot. Don't know how you sum up the sweeps against the Kings and Spurs in one sentence either. That's when Kobe truly emerged as a superstar and just not even mentioning the hate Kobe had motivating him after the Kings took them to 5 in 2000 and the Spurs swept them in 1999 was a pretty huge oversight. And not mentioning Fisher's ridiculous WCF?

I was really looking forward to reading about 2000-01 in Three Ring Circus but it just ran through that season in a blur without having much interesting to say other than Shaq and Kobe hating each other. Really disappointing. Not even sure I want to finish the book after how how one of the most interesting seasons a team has ever had got such abridged coverage.

baseline bum
04-23-2022, 11:58 AM
Nov 7, 1991 HIV announcement.
June 4, 1992 EJ born

= +/- October 1991 EJ conceived.

Wait a minute you're saying Magic knew he had HIV and married Cookie about 1 1/2 months before the public announcement?
I'm trying to get at timeframe EJ conceived / when did Magic know he had HIV. Not casting any negative aspersions on Fagic or Cookie just wondering if they conceived EJ after he found out. Like maybe we better conceive before you (Magic) are unable to (early HIV information days).

He failed a physical for a life insurance policy in late October 1991, which is how his HIV+ status was found out, my guess is he was taking it out for Cookie right after getting married. I don't believe for a second he got Cookie pregnant with EJ knowing he was positive though, back in 1991 HIV was considered a death sentence and the virus still wasn't that well understood.

EDIT: Exact date was October 25th, 1991 when the Lakers team doctor called him and told him to forget playing the preseason game in Utah and get his ass on a plane back to LA to give him the news.

MultiTroll
04-23-2022, 12:25 PM
He failed a physical for a life insurance policy in late October 1991, which is how his HIV+ status was found out, my guess is he was taking it out for Cookie right after getting married. I don't believe for a second he got Cookie pregnant with EJ knowing he was positive though, back in 1991 HIV was considered a death sentence and the virus still wasn't that well understood.

EDIT: Exact date was October 25th, 1991 when the Lakers team doctor called him and told him to forget playing the preseason game in Utah and get his ass on a plane back to LA to give him the news.
So sounds like quite a story for EJ phans.
Was conceived just prior to Magic learning of his HIV.

Unless Magics HIV is all a publicity stunt. :lmao

lefty
04-23-2022, 05:53 PM
Stern forced Magic to retire to promote MJ more and have him come back in 96 to creat a buzz and have him play vs Jordan one last time

ambchang
04-23-2022, 08:56 PM
Update:

The newlyweds had also just found out she was pregnant with their first child, E.J., now 24. Johnson said she agonized while she waited for her test results for herself and her unborn child.

"I was scared to death about the baby. I mean, I had just found out I was pregnant so it was really early in the pregnancy," she said. "In those days, you had to wait almost 10 days to get your results back, so that was agonizing. And then, finally, the results came in and what they told me was that if the mother is negative, then the baby is automatically negative. And they didn't have to worry about trying to test the baby because, really, I mean, he hadn't really formed yet, actually. I mean, it was very early on.”
Johnson also shared her heartache as she waited behind closed doors as her husband made phone calls to the various men he had slept with.
"It was like, 'Who is he calling? You know, why is he in there so long?' she said. "That was a difficult day."

Cookie Johnson: 'I Fell to My Knees' When Magic Revealed His HIV Diagnosis - ABC News (go.com) (https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/cookie-johnson-fell-knees-magic-revealed-hiv-diagnosis/story?id=42141924)

I always thought magic being gay/bi was a rumour created by isiah Thomas to backstab him or something by like that.

lefty
04-23-2022, 10:00 PM
I always thought magic being gay/bi was a rumour created by isiah Thomas to backstab him or something by like that.

No it was a BS story created by Magic’s agent

baseline bum
04-23-2022, 10:28 PM

Do you really believe Magic got HIV from fucking women though? I don't buy that for a second, and he got it way too late for it to have been from a transfusion.

Killakobe81
04-24-2022, 12:05 AM
I'm about halfway through Three Ring Circus and it's nowhere near as good as his Showtime book, not even close. Three Ring Circus feels so phoned in. I can't believe how quickly they rushed through the 2000-01 season when that's when Shaq & Kobe came so close to being broken up but instead became one of the top 4 or 5 teams in league history. All the trade rumors all season swept under the rug and the Bibby + Abdur Rahim for Kobe deal that nearly happened is mentioned only in passing with Shaq telling a reporter how high taxes are in Canada with Kobe in earshot. Don't know how you sum up the sweeps against the Kings and Spurs in one sentence either. That's when Kobe truly emerged as a superstar and just not even mentioning the hate Kobe had motivating him after the Kings took them to 5 in 2000 and the Spurs swept them in 1999 was a pretty huge oversight. And not mentioning Fisher's ridiculous WCF?

I was really looking forward to reading about 2000-01 in Three Ring Circus but it just ran through that season in a blur without having much interesting to say other than Shaq and Kobe hating each other. Really disappointing. Not even sure I want to finish the book after how how one of the most interesting seasons a team has ever had got such abridged coverage.

Agreed. It’s good or at least interesting but they fumbled the bag.

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 01:00 AM
Agreed. It’s good or at least interesting but they fumbled the bag.

I'm not really finding Three Ring Circus good at all. I read the chapter on the Sacramento series and they made it sound like the Kings dominated Game 3 wire to wire, which is total bullshit because the Lakers went on a monster run in the third quarter that game which mirrored the Kings' Game 4 collapse. I was watching that Game 4 with a bunch of Laker fan friends from school and told them Horry was going to win them that game during the timeout when the Lakers were down two. :lol

And after that Game 3 collapse wasn't surprised at all to see the Kings actually cough up Game 4 from 25 up or whatever their biggest lead was.

ambchang
04-24-2022, 10:47 AM
Do you really believe Magic got HIV from fucking women though? I don't buy that for a second, and he got it way too late for it to have been from a transfusion.

To be honest I’ve always thought that. I guess I just took magics word for it. Not sure why he’s so ashamed of it but I guess it was a different time.

MultiTroll
04-24-2022, 11:30 AM
Jordan forced Magic to retire by taking him to the woodshed while Stern brought Magic back in 96 to creat a buzz and have him play vs Jordan one last time
fify

lefty
04-24-2022, 02:25 PM
fify

nah Jordan was lucky the Lakers were injured

james evans
04-24-2022, 02:30 PM
Probably the most fucked up thing I found in the Showtime book was how Magic kept stringing Cookie along, like how he was going to marry her in 1984 was called it off in 1985 because he wanted to keep getting strange. He only finally married her a fucking month and a half before the HIV diagnosis. Can't believe she stuck with him and they're still married.
https://64.media.tumblr.com/98b41254e8ebbbddff34e90471a934c4/tumblr_p2r2c9gGzs1r7dh6wo1_250.gif

Killakobe81
04-24-2022, 04:25 PM

I remember Isiah saying something slick like … underrated player but a snake ass nicca

lefty
04-24-2022, 04:44 PM
I remember Isiah saying something slick like … underrated player but a snake ass nicca
no it was Tragic’s agent who started that shit

Killakobe81
04-24-2022, 05:33 PM
no it was Tragic’s agent who started that shitmaybe but Isiah always plays in to the victim role the quintessential throw rocks and try to hide your hands type…
You a killer cut throat just own it.
To hear him tell it MJ Magic Malone Team USA all wronged him with No provocation… fuck Malone but he is the common denominator

ambchang
04-24-2022, 06:28 PM
Those superstars back in the day were all snakes.
Bird = horrible father
Zeke = minsogynst
Magic = coach killer and adulterer
Ewing - gold club
Hakeem - underaged bride
Stockton - right winger nut
Iverson - hoodrat
Kobe - rapist
Garnett - Garnett
Jordan - psychopath
Malone - worst of the worst scum bag

Totally cut throat back in yesterdays nba.

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 06:33 PM
Those superstars back in the day were all snakes.
Bird = horrible father
Zeke = minsogynst
Magic = coach killer and adulterer
Ewing - gold club
Hakeem - underaged bride
Stockton - right winger nut
Iverson - hoodrat
Kobe - rapist
Garnett - Garnett
Jordan - psychopath
Malone - worst of the worst scum bag

Totally cut throat back in yesterdays nba.

Could have just said

K. Malone - Child rapist

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 06:44 PM
One of the funniest things about this show was finding out too black for Milwaukee Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had a white woman girlfriend for years. Thought that shit had to be fake but the book confirmed. At least she had the good son with Kareem, the doctor, not the stabbed his neighbor son.

ambchang
04-24-2022, 07:05 PM
One of the funniest things about this show was finding out too black for Milwaukee Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had a white woman girlfriend for years. Thought that shit had to be fake but the book confirmed. At least she had the good son with Kareem, the doctor, not the stabbed his neighbor son.

He never asked to go to Detroit or Chicago, which were two of the most Muslim friendly cities back then. He asked to go to NY or LA. Total bill right there.

lefty
04-24-2022, 07:30 PM
maybe but Isiah always plays in to the victim role

So does Magic

daslicer
04-24-2022, 07:40 PM

He also knocked up some white woman in San Antonio giving him his youngest son out of his 5 children. That son would grow up to be Adam Abdul-Jabbar the one who got in recent trouble for stabbing his neighbor.

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 08:08 PM
He also knocked up some white woman in San Antonio giving him his youngest son out of his 5 children. That son would grow up to be Adam Abdul-Jabbar the one who got in recent trouble for stabbing his neighbor.

LOL. You got a link? That's hilarious.

lefty
04-24-2022, 08:11 PM

He also told said son be was a mistake

Kream and Bird are terrible fathers

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 08:12 PM
So I have been reading Three Ring Circus about the 1996-04 Lakers, and holy fuck, Sam Cassell doing his big balls dance after hitting a game winner vs the Kings in the previous round injured his hip and cost the Wolves a trip to the Finals. We were all blinded to how shitty that 04 Laker team was and all the luck they had go their way in the WC playoffs because of how good they were in 00 and 01. Easy to see why the Pistons just mopped the floor with them.

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 08:12 PM
He also told said son be was a mistake

Kream and Bird are terrible fathers

link?

Killakobe81
04-24-2022, 08:43 PM

His pro black stance … didn’t preclude him for chasing a Becky

Killakobe81
04-24-2022, 08:45 PM
So I have been reading Three Ring Circus about the 1996-04 Lakers, and holy fuck, Sam Cassell doing his big balls dance after hitting a game winner vs the Kings in the previous round injured his hip and cost the Wolves a trip to the Finals. We were all blinded to how shitty that 04 Laker team was and all the luck they had go their way in the WC playoffs because of how good they were in 00 and 01. Easy to see why the Pistons just mopped the floor with them.

Spurs could have and should have beat them too …
Bad chemistry and the Kobe trial they were lucky to make Finals
Not sure why everyone thought pistons winning was an upset they were clearly the better team all year.

daslicer
04-24-2022, 08:49 PM

The '03-'04 season part of the book made my blood pressure go up. All year that team was in disarray they couldn't even conduct a practice or implement their system but some how they lucked off of that farce of a shot .4. A lot of fluky things went their way up until they played the Pistons and were exposed.

daslicer
04-24-2022, 09:01 PM
LOL. You got a link? That's hilarious.

If you google it you will see Adam's mom is from San Antonio. He once did a reddit about Kareem Abdul Jabbar 9 years ago about how Kareem met his mom randomly in San Antonio during the early 90's. I don't know what he was doing in SA at the time but he was there for some event. In that reddit he bashed Kareem for being a terrible father. He eventually took down the reddit a few years ago. I suspect he took it down because Kareem started taking care of him by giving him money to silence him. Even recently I just looked up the charges he got for stabbing his neighbor and it was only 6 months in jail and 2 years probation. I definitely believe Kareem paid for his lawyers to get him out of the mess.

Here are parts of the reddit

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=512561

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 09:28 PM
Spurs could have and should have beat them too …
Bad chemistry and the Kobe trial they were lucky to make Finals
Not sure why everyone thought pistons winning was an upset they were clearly the better team all year.

That was when Jackson decided to just leave Hedo Turkoglu wide open every possession and throw four people in the lane to stop Parker, and Turkoglu let his inner Sacramento King shine through and it worked. I remember Tex Winters saying he didn't think they had any chance to beat the Spurs that year. Ugh if the Spurs would have kept Stephen Jackson they would have mopped the floor with that 04 Lakers team.

Killakobe81
04-24-2022, 11:18 PM
The '03-'04 season part of the book made my blood pressure go up. All year that team was in disarray they couldn't even conduct a practice or implement their system but some how they lucked off of that farce of a shot .4. A lot of fluky things went their way up until they played the Pistons and were exposed.

As a Laker can’t can’t disagree with any of this all facts

lefty
04-24-2022, 11:40 PM
Wtf is that Dr.J casting?

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 11:57 PM
Wtf is that Dr.J casting?

LOL no shit, Julius looked about 48 there.

baseline bum
04-24-2022, 11:58 PM
On one hand Wood Harris is too good an actor to play a bit role. On the other, this is total fantasy about Haywood. The players hated him for his drug use and respected Westhead for standing up to him and having the balls to bench someone of his talent when he wasn't all there for the team.

MultiTroll
04-25-2022, 12:13 AM
McKinney really try to get back in the 79-80 season and was there acrimony?
Google aint saying much about McK coming back that same season.

baseline bum
04-25-2022, 12:28 AM
McKinney really try to get back in the 79-80 season and was there acrimony?
Google aint saying much about McK coming back that same season.

Book says he couldn't even recognize who Buss was when they met so guessing he was never given that kind of access to the team again.

lefty
04-25-2022, 03:37 AM
Jerry Buss went from shedding tears to sucking on some titties

Killakobe81
04-25-2022, 05:24 AM
Jerry Buss went from shedding tears to sucking on some titties

Buss a savage … and he saw an easy kill but still played in emotions to seal the deal … he a cold motherfucker.
Paying for college is in the old sugar daddy playbook
Chris Rock joked he put more strippers through college than the United Negro College Fund

baseline bum
04-25-2022, 07:10 AM
Buss a savage … and he saw an easy kill but still played in emotions to seal the deal … he a cold motherfucker.
Chris Rock joked he put more strippers through college than the United Negro College Fund

Nah man nurse is the cold motherfucker, getting sad old man to pay for her college for a blowjob or two.

lefty
04-25-2022, 11:35 AM

MultiTroll
04-26-2022, 12:11 AM
meh
Tried watching Magics interview with Jimmy Kimmel about this documentary and honestly could only tolerate about 2 minutes of Magic. And that's going in expecting Magic to be a self centered douche. I just wanted some info on the doc, was fully prepared to put up with his act.

Besides being narcissistic what is his mental condition?
Seriously looks and sounds like a fruit tard. The super fake laugh, the endless talking about himself. Kimmel was such a suck up, obviously because Kimmel was given some bit part in the doc.

MultiTroll
04-26-2022, 12:16 AM

Nah man nurse is the cold motherfucker, getting sad old man to pay for her college for a blowjob or two.
You guys the nurse and Buss both came across as super cold douches. :lol

Buss' mom is portrayed as alcoholic / heavy drinker, at least appears that way.
Show burns on Chick Hearn as being alki too wth? :lol

daslicer
04-26-2022, 01:05 AM

I thought the same exact thing how the nurse played her cards right with Buss. She could sense he was an ODB who was desperate for action and was emotionally vulnerable to be taken advantage of.

Killakobe81
04-26-2022, 06:07 AM
Nah think y’all wrong I think that gonna come back to bite Busss ….
Actress played it cold yes but it also didn’t look like she was in to it …
But we will see I don’t think he had outside kids …but I think that is not a one off story

MultiTroll
04-26-2022, 10:15 PM
Jerry West Threatens To Involve Supreme Court Over His Portrayal In HBO's 'Winning Time': "The Series Made Us All Look Like Cartoon Characters." (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/jerry-west-threatens-to-involve-supreme-court-over-his-portrayal-in-hbo-s-winning-time-the-series-made-us-all-look-like-cartoon-characters/ar-AAWD8cf?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c6bfd793bd6f42d5b56ad5b8506af1e0)

:lol West fattening some lawyers account.

Killakobe81
04-27-2022, 06:04 AM
Jerry West Threatens To Involve Supreme Court Over His Portrayal In HBO's 'Winning Time': "The Series Made Us All Look Like Cartoon Characters." (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/jerry-west-threatens-to-involve-supreme-court-over-his-portrayal-in-hbo-s-winning-time-the-series-made-us-all-look-like-cartoon-characters/ar-AAWD8cf?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c6bfd793bd6f42d5b56ad5b8506af1e0)

:lol West fattening some lawyers account.

Come on West, any intelligent person is taking it as a loose over the top adaptation…

baseline bum
04-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Come on West, any intelligent person is taking it as a loose over the top adaptation…

Yeah but the target market is Laker fans.

ambchang
04-27-2022, 07:54 AM

He's probably fretting because there is too much truth in there.

KobesAchilles
04-27-2022, 09:38 AM
:lmao

Killakobe81
04-28-2022, 12:02 AM

Well played, asshole! Lol

baseline bum
04-28-2022, 12:51 AM
Well played, asshole! Lol

Speaking of well played assholes, have you checked Magic's show on Apple TV? Is it any good?

lefty
04-28-2022, 10:55 AM
Speaking of well played assholes, have you checked Magic's show on Apple TV? Is it any good?

You mean the Magic - Cookie relationship show?
it sucks

Killakobe81
04-29-2022, 04:24 PM

First two episodes are more focused on hoops last two are a love story and homage to how magic brought Starbucks and movies to the “hood” he does deserve credit for that but this was even more self serving than the Last dance at times

baseline bum
04-30-2022, 09:33 AM
First two episodes are more focused on hoops last two are a love story and homage to how magic brought Starbucks and movies to the “hood” he does deserve credit for that but this was even more self serving than the Last dance at times

I'm watching the second episode now and this 'documentary' is such bullshit. :lol

Magic saying all he did was hang out in his apartment, yeah that's how he got HIV jerking off in front of the TV :lol

Wouldn't marry Cookie until 1991 because he cared too much about winning :lmao

I'm a huge Magic fan but what a load of crap this series is. Worth watching just for the comedic value though.

lefty
04-30-2022, 11:55 AM
I'm watching the second episode now and this 'documentary' is such bullshit. :lol

Magic saying all he did was hang out in his apartment, yeah that's how he got HIV jerking off in front of the TV :lol

Wouldn't marry Cookie until 1991 because he cared too much about winning :lmao

I'm a huge Magic fan but what a load of crap this series is. Worth watching just for the comedic value though.

Also about Riles leaving the Lakers, not mentioning he was forced oit by a mutiny and Magic leaking stuff to the press :lol
“I was sad when he left and we cried” :cry

baseline bum
04-30-2022, 12:02 PM
Also about Riles leaving the Lakers, not mentioning he was forced oit by a mutiny and Magic leaking stuff to the press :lol
“I was sad when he left and we cried” :cry

From Showtime sounded like the whole team had tuned Riley out and wanted him gone, especially after he ran them into the ground and got Scott and Magic injured for the 89 Finals. He did a similar training camp before the 87 Finals but that was a younger, better, and healthier team while 89 they seemed to be running on fumes and it was the wrong call, and really pissed hte players off.

I really don't think Magic was wrong to run Westhead early in the 81-82 season. The team gave his system a full season in 80-81 and it was disastrous not letting them run anymore and then deciding just dump it into Kareem every time like they did before Magic got there. All Westhead had to do was just use McKinney's system from 79-80. The players really seemed to like Westhead before he changed up the offense.

lefty
04-30-2022, 12:51 PM
From Showtime sounded like the whole team had tuned Riley out and wanted him gone, especially after he ran them into the ground and got Scott and Magic injured for the 89 Finals. He did a similar training camp before the 87 Finals but that was a younger, better, and healthier team while 89 they seemed to be running on fumes and it was the wrong call, and really pissed hte players off.

I really don't think Magic was wrong to run Westhead early in the 81-82 season. The team gave his system a full season in 80-81 and it was disastrous not letting them run anymore and then deciding just dump it into Kareem every time like they did before Magic got there. All Westhead had to do was just use McKinney's system from 79-80. The players really seemed to like Westhead before he changed up the offense.

Looks like communication has always been a huge problem in that franchise lol

MultiTroll
04-30-2022, 02:49 PM
I'll see if i can find the link again but it had quotes including Westhead that said bullshit to any slowing it down notions. Kept the same run and gun that won in 80

Meh NYTimes is blocking it now. Went into detail.
Here is a seperate blurb from UPI:
Westhead disagreed with Buss's comment that the Lakers' running game had been slowed down by the newly implemented offense.
'I relentlessly pursued a running game,' Westhead said. 'I am a fastbreak basketball coach.'

Ironically the Flamers won 5 games in a row under Westhead prior to Magic kicking him out.

MultiTroll
04-30-2022, 03:36 PM
Wow, IRL West could not stand Norm Nixons continual puffed ego and had private eyes follow him for drug use.

Jerry West Sunk to an Unthinkable Low to Rid the Lakers of Norm Nixon (sportscasting.com) (https://www.sportscasting.com/jerry-west-sunk-unthinkable-low-rid-lakers-norm-nixon/)

lefty
04-30-2022, 05:37 PM
Most toxic club ever

baseline bum
04-30-2022, 05:51 PM
Wow, IRL West could not stand Norm Nixons continual puffed ego and had private eyes follow him for drug use.

Jerry West Sunk to an Unthinkable Low to Rid the Lakers of Norm Nixon (sportscasting.com) (https://www.sportscasting.com/jerry-west-sunk-unthinkable-low-rid-lakers-norm-nixon/)

Yeah that was in the Showtime book.

baseline bum
04-30-2022, 05:57 PM
I'll see if i can find the link again but it had quotes including Westhead that said bullshit to any slowing it down notions. Kept the same run and gun that won in 80

Meh NYTimes is blocking it now. Went into detail.
Here is a seperate blurb from UPI:
Westhead disagreed with Buss's comment that the Lakers' running game had been slowed down by the newly implemented offense.
'I relentlessly pursued a running game,' Westhead said. 'I am a fastbreak basketball coach.'

Ironically the Flamers won 5 games in a row under Westhead prior to Magic kicking him out.

Of course Westhead isn't going to take any blame. He also said he tried to slow things down because of Magic's injury but Pearlman claims Westhead did it from the start of the season, wanting a lot of control over the offense to leave his imprint on the team so no one could say he was just rolling out the balls for McKinney's team. Said the players hated it because he tried to run a college like offense where every player had to go to a specific spot on the floor to initiate the offense. I gotta trust Pearlman's word over Westhead trying to re-write his legacy, especially since Pearlman never seemed like he took anyone's side in the Showtime book.

MultiTroll
04-30-2022, 06:22 PM
^ Interesting.

Killakobe do you or anyone you know go back that far / reviewed games to know?
Would be interesting to know for a fact what really came down.
Fagic was 2-14 in the clinching 2-1 1st round loss to Houston, wonder if that was due to Westheads purported restrictions or if Fagic just laid an egg and needed someone to blame.

I've watched the 81 Celts and Sixers recordings but was only interested in the Lakers as far as being eliminated. Did not view.
I did think that 81 Houston team was pretty damn good.