PDA

View Full Version : Spurs need Jalen Duren

Pages : [1] 2

lebomb
04-14-2022, 03:56 PM
If he is still available, this guy would fill in our roster quite nicely. A young core of athletic guys to rebuild with. Put Poetlige at center, Duren at PF, Keldon, Vassel and Murray. I think we will be awesome and competing at the top in two seasons. :claw

What do yall think?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-duren-1.html

Chinook
04-14-2022, 04:28 PM
I don't think Duren is even close to a PF, but he's certainly someone the team has to look at if they do pick at 9. He's insanely developed for a guy who's still so young and raw.

Kurik
04-14-2022, 04:28 PM
Duren doesn’t play power forward. If you draft him to be the backup center/future starter that’s fine but the team would score 90 points a game having him and Poetl in the starting lineup.

BacktoBasics
04-14-2022, 05:08 PM
I like him. I’d even move up to 7 for him. Poodle would have to go.

Ariel
04-14-2022, 05:44 PM
I think the question is what are the team needs that can't be addressed with a later pick or via free agency? And I keep coming to the conclusion that center isn't one of them.

For one, there's Poeltl, who I think is a better than average center. But it's a fact that he's one year removed from free agency, so it would make sense to add to the center depth. Even so, I believe you're likely to find a reasonable alternative somewhere in the 20s or later... say Mark Williams, Walker Kessler, Koloko, Kamagate, etc. two or more will likely fall to the mid 20s, you may even find one available come the Lakers' 2nd rounder. Also, there's the free agency and trade route, where I believe a decent replacement could be had without breaking the bank or giving up significant assets.

On the other hand, we're starving for long, athletic, versatile forwards with two way potential, like Eason or Sochan. Those are MUCH harder to find latter in the draft or to address via free agency, and there's significantly more opportunity to play them: at SF in a big line up, as center in a small ball lineup... in the modern game there's always room for those, whereas a traditional center often finds itself out of place in certain situations. There are also big, skilled forwards with all around playmaking and scoring potential like Jovic that should be considered.

In conclusion, even though there's no denying Duren is physically a beast and very young, skill wise he's extremely raw and his offensive game is limited to alley oops and put backs. So unless you're confident he'll develop some kind of offensive game or that he's going to become an DPOY kind of player, I think the first pick would be much better spent addressing other needs than center.

Seventyniner
04-14-2022, 06:38 PM
The hole at PF is why the Spurs drafted Samanic, tried to sign Morris, and signed Lyles later that offseason. Too bad Samanic didn't have the personality/attitude to stick around, Morris bitched out, and Lyles just wasn't good enough.

With three firsts the Spurs have to swing for another one if they don't jump into the top 4.

Gibbz
04-14-2022, 06:49 PM
Duren can't play the 4. If they're drafting for pure fit, I'd say Sochan. They generally go with who they think best available is, though.

Dejounte
04-14-2022, 06:52 PM
Why the fuck does Spurstalk think every 5 can play 4

Thomas82
04-14-2022, 06:52 PM
I like him. I’d even move up to 7 for him. Poodle would have to go.

I actually believe we'll revisit that possible trade with Poetl around draft night.

exstatic
04-14-2022, 07:07 PM
I think the question is what are the team needs that can't be addressed with a later pick or via free agency? And I keep coming to the conclusion that center isn't one of them.

For one, there's Poeltl, who I think is a better than average center. But it's a fact that he's one year removed from free agency, so it would make sense to add to the center depth. Even so, I believe you're likely to find a reasonable alternative somewhere in the 20s or later... say Mark Williams, Walker Kessler, Koloko, Kamagate, etc. two or more will likely fall to the mid 20s, you may even find one available come the Lakers' 2nd rounder. Also, there's the free agency and trade route, where I believe a decent replacement could be had without breaking the bank or giving up significant assets.

On the other hand, we're starving for long, athletic, versatile forwards with two way potential, like Eason or Sochan. Those are MUCH harder to find latter in the draft or to address via free agency, and there's significantly more opportunity to play them: at SF in a big line up, as center in a small ball lineup... in the modern game there's always room for those, whereas a traditional center often finds itself out of place in certain situations. There are also big, skilled forwards with all around playmaking and scoring potential like Jovic that should be considered.

In conclusion, even though there's no denying Duren is physically a beast and very young, skill wise he's extremely raw and his offensive game is limited to alley oops and put backs. So unless you're confident he'll develop some kind of offensive game or that he's going to become an DPOY kind of player, I think the first pick would be much better spent addressing other needs than center.

Unless we jump to the top 4, your scenario would have us settling at both front court positions. Here’s what we need:

The summer of the Jalens. Sign Smith, draft Duren, and put him on the development track. He can apprentice behind Zollins for a year or two after we move Poeltl for assets.

Ariel
04-14-2022, 07:19 PM
Unless we jump to the top 4, your scenario would have us settling at both front court positions. Here’s what we need:

The summer of the Jalens. Sign Smith, draft Duren, and put him on the development track. He can apprentice behind Zollins for a year or two after we move Poeltl for assets.
Sochan can play the 3 and the 4, he's team oriented, super smart and unselfish, excellent on defense, good passer, and if he keeps improving his shot he's a player that will find a place on any team, at any time. Jalen Smith I mentioned already, he's very young and has plenty of promise, getting him would be drafting a lottery pick without having to waste two years developing him. I think he'd be a very welcome addition. I'm just not that high on Duren, he seems way too raw... I prefer more skilled players. But I can see the appeal.

td4mvp2k
04-14-2022, 07:22 PM
alot more better talent than duren at spurs first expected pick

buttsR4rebounding
04-14-2022, 08:25 PM
Pass on Duren. He doesn’t even dunk with his left hand. Develop a jump shot? He has to develop a left-handed lay-up. He’d make us long for Poeltl’s extensive scoring repertoire in no time.

Biggems
04-14-2022, 08:48 PM
What about Sochan, Jovic, and Eason in the first round.....would that be a good draft or a poor one?

Ariel
04-14-2022, 08:53 PM
What about Sochan, Jovic, and Eason in the first round.....would that be a good draft or a poor one?
If we don't get a top 4 pick, I don't think we could do any better than that. In fact, I don't think we can do that... I'd settle for 2 of those 3.

keithington1
04-14-2022, 08:59 PM
Duren and Liddell would be nice in the starting lineup.

BackHome
04-14-2022, 09:49 PM
Duren is probably 6'10 for Center
Liddell is 6'7 for PF

I thought we wanted to get bigger at positions?

Ariel
04-14-2022, 09:54 PM
Duren is probably 6'10 for Center
Liddell is 6'7 for PF

I thought we wanted to get bigger at positions?
Lidell is 6-5.5', but he plays bigger. He's not my first option, but in the 20s he's not a bad pickup at all.

John B
04-15-2022, 12:41 AM
I’m trying to read his body language on this training session. Sometimes he’s lost or disinterested (towards the end when he’s asked to do a fake and reverse layup).

https://youtu.be/HK9LgRvMjy0

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-15-2022, 12:56 AM

This is super weird. It seems some people haven't watched actual basketball for 15 years.

On Duren. He's an interesting project because of his NBA body but it's very difficult for us armchair GMs to evaluate whether he could develop the NBA skills required in order to be worth a lottery pick. He has a lot of holes in his game currently, but he has age on his side. Must be one of the most difficult players for scouts to project in this year's draft. He's also definitely not 6'11, maybe 6'9, maybe.

He has shown a lot of flashes - a semblance of a jump shot, court vision and passing, etc. but he does seem a bit slow footed to be a good switchable defender on the perimeter. Now, there are archetypes of this kind who were bad at it but developed such as Robert Williams, but this is where us message board scouts have no way to be able to project that other than guesswork. His jump shot doesn't seem broken or weird but he barely shoots, he has a little bit of a right hook shot around the rim but he completely lacks a left hand. Like at all. He uses his right hand only regardless of where he is around the rim. His passing is intriguing and it might be his swing skill but again he's not had enough opportunities in Memphis to show enough of it. His rebounding and rim protection will translate, but he can still be foul prone, which is normal for young bigs.

I think his ceiling is a Bam Adebayo type but his floor is your average minimum contract rim running athlete and this is quite the range for a lottery pick. Spurs generally scout well though, so I'd be happy if they actually draft him but I doubt they would. It's a very weak draft anyway, so who knows, but I'd prefer someone more skilled.

rankingtear
04-15-2022, 03:09 AM
I think you haven't watched a game in decades to suggest that front court.

duncan2150
04-15-2022, 06:06 AM
I don't know why people said duren is 6'9

I just read 10 scouting reports( google : duren scouting report). The lowest is 6'9 1/2 in one site but other than that it's 6'10 Or 6'11 plus the 7'5 Wingspan.

He definitely has the size and the body of a modern C.

lebomb
04-15-2022, 06:15 AM
I think you haven't watched a game in decades to suggest that front court.

Everyone whining about the Spurs not having size up front...............so there, you will have size now. We have plenty of wings, so why not go bigger. Spurs will not be able to grab Jabari Smith or Chet, so who is the next fit? Banchero? He will be gone to.

Dejounte
04-15-2022, 07:00 AM
Everyone whining about the Spurs not having size up front...............so there, you will have size now. We have plenty of wings, so why not go bigger. Spurs will not be able to grab Jabari Smith or Chet, so who is the next fit? Banchero? He will be gone to.

The difference between those guys and Duren is that Duren can’t shoot and isn’t as quick on the perimeter. If you play Duren with a non-shooting center, that’s ugly basketball nowadays.

lebomb
04-15-2022, 07:42 AM
The difference between those guys and Duren is that Duren can’t shoot and isn’t as quick on the perimeter. If you play Duren with a non-shooting center, that’s ugly basketball nowadays.

You talking about this guy?

Awards
2021-22 AAC All-Freshman
2021-22 AAC Rookie of the Year
2021-22 All-AAC - 1st Team
2021-22 Wooden Award - Preseason
2022 All-AAC Tournament

:rolleyes

Dejounte
04-15-2022, 08:54 AM
You talking about this guy?

Awards
2021-22 AAC All-Freshman
2021-22 AAC Rookie of the Year
2021-22 All-AAC - 1st Team
2021-22 Wooden Award - Preseason
2022 All-AAC Tournament

:rolleyes

How is this a response to what I said about he can’t shoot

Trill Clinton
04-15-2022, 09:11 AM
Yup I agree. If he's at 9 I wouldn't think twice.

look_at_g_shred
04-15-2022, 09:17 AM
Jeremy Sochan is the move Spurs. Don't overthink this. He's the 4 this team desperately needs.

The Truth #6
04-15-2022, 09:26 AM
He probably would be better utilized on a different team. If we drafted him, then I imagine we'd have to be trading Yak on draft night at the same time. But if we're trading Yak, then wouldn't be prioritize trying to move up higher in the draft and so then why would we be drafting Duren. Point is: lots of variables. There are scenarios where he could fit on the team but more scenarios where he doesn't.

Biggems
04-15-2022, 09:40 AM
Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I loved college basketball. However, once I graduate college in 2001, my love for the sport started to wane a bit. I still followed UT and TAMU-CC, though. However, in the last 15 years or so, it became unwatchable for me. I swear, every game was 3 minutes of action, mostly whistles and FTs, followed by 1 or 2 minutes of commercials. The games no longer had the flow they had in the 80s and 90s. There were really no teams like the Runnin Rebels or Loyola Marymount. A lot of the scores were in the low 60s to mid 50s. There was a lot more "ME" ball going on. Also, with the change in the NBA rules, the whole one and done thing really damaged the college product, at least in my eyes. The NBA should have just left it open for HS grads to enter the draft. College was flourishing under the old NBA rules. Some players did leave early, but others stayed 3-4 years and honed their skills, while also maturing and getting an education.

I am a Longhorns and Islanders fan. I found the Horns very hard to watch. Though they didn't have much success under Penders, they were fun as hell to watch....Mays, Rencher, and Wright. Under Barnes, for the first half of his coaching tenure, they were fun to watch, no so much in the latter years. They were an eyesore under Shaka. This past season, they had all these supposedly good players, but they had no chemistry. Beard was able to have chemistry in Lubbock. It was only his first year, so we will see.

Anyway, back to my point. Since I do not watch the games, I really on player scouting reports and videos about the good, bad, and ugly of a player's game. I also take into account some of the posters on here, who seem to have watched the games and have valuable input into certain players.

Biggems
04-15-2022, 09:49 AM
So, what if the Spurs were to draft Sochan, Jovic, and Kessler in the first round? That is 2 PFs and a C. Then, in the 2nd round SG Gabriele Procida.

Let's say we also keep Richardson and Walker

PG - Murray, Jones, Primo
SG - Vassell, Walker, Procida
SF - Johnson, Richardson, Wieskamp?
PF - Zollins, Jovic, Sochan
C - Poeltl, Landale, Kessler

poopbox
04-15-2022, 10:08 AM
If he is there at 9 you have to take him cause the price on Poeltl is going to go up significantly after next season. Poeltl at 9 million is ok. Poeltl at 15 million is unbearable. Spurs have an obvious hole at power forward that needs fixing...but they also are one year away from a hole at center or vastly overpaying for a center.

ragas
04-15-2022, 10:17 AM
If he is there at 9 you have to take him cause the price on Poeltl is going to go up significantly after next season. Poeltl at 9 million is ok. Poeltl at 15 million is unbearable. Spurs have an obvious hole at power forward that needs fixing...but they also are one year away from a hole at center or vastly overpaying for a center.

2 years ago most guys in here thought that 9 mio. is an massive overpay for Poeltl and didn't want to pay more than 5 mio. Who knows? Perhaps he's worth 15 mio. per in two years. And with the salary cap rising...

BacktoBasics
04-15-2022, 11:00 AM
He'll be gone by 9

Dverde
04-15-2022, 11:30 AM
I have a feeling the Spurs are not going to get their targets and draft the best available player…a combo guard.

Ocotillo
04-15-2022, 11:42 AM
He'll be gone by 9

I have no idea but from various posters combined there are about a dozen guys who will be gone by the 9th pick.

lebomb
04-15-2022, 11:53 AM
How is this a response to what I said about he can’t shoot

I highly doubt a dude that cannot shoot would win all of those awards. That's a big time response to what you said.

emanueldavidginobili
04-15-2022, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't mind drafting Duren at all at 9 if PATFO are legitimately thinking about shopping Jakob for a legit 4. That really wouldn't be a bad idea tbh, hypothetically speaking trading Jakob and some fillers for John Collins and drafting Duren is the move for sure imo if that was possible.

bluebellmaniac
04-15-2022, 12:58 PM

Because 5 is the new 4?

SMH...

lebomb
04-15-2022, 01:23 PM
Jalen Durens one and done numbers compared to Joel Embiids

Duren

Career

G

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%

eFG%

PER

WS

Embiid

Career

G

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%

eFG%

PER

WS

Gagnrath
04-15-2022, 01:50 PM

I don't but I also don't watch a whole lot of college ball. A lot of the college D1 teams seem to have guys playing PF that are fairly small by nba PF standards or don't have a lot of speed. So I tend to ask about how people who may watch more college ball about the mobility and face up game about more mobile college centers. Also lots of folks who have been around spurstalk a few years tend to have Duncan memories and the last 4 years of Duncan while timmy was still listed as a PF was really a center.

The Truth #6
04-15-2022, 02:05 PM
I'm open to being convinced why he will be good. All the highlights I see are dunks. A very few decent to, at worst, line drive jumpers. Feel for the game seems low. I could see him dropping. But he's an obviously insane physical specimen. But it seems he would have to develop a lot of skills. Or, you'd have to believe that his college system held him back, and I think that team was somewhat dysfunctional, if I remember correctly. The center from Duke might get picked before him.

exstatic
04-15-2022, 02:11 PM
Duren is not a power forward, yet, he’d still be an amazing pick.

BatManu20
04-15-2022, 02:29 PM
Jeremy Sochan is the move Spurs. Don't overthink this. He's the 4 this team desperately needs.

I’m a fan of Sochan too, but let’s not act like he doesn’t have holes in his game either, especially offensively. Both of these guys are super young though (18) and either would be a solid pick if we stay at 9 imo.

BatManu20
04-15-2022, 02:33 PM
Posted this in the draft thread 3 months ago. Figured I’d repost it here.

Jalen Duren and Memphis about to upset #6 Houston on the road. He’s had a solid game with 14 pts & 10 boards on 5/7 shooting. Had a couple nice dunks and a big put-back jam late. Have to remember he’s a year younger than most the Freshman in this draft. Should be a Senior in High School as he just turned 18 in November.

He’s got a long ways to go in terms of offense but his upside is as high as anyone in this draft outside of Chet imo. 6’10 250 lb athletes like that don’t grow on trees. His size, athleticism, coordination, and defensive potential can’t be ignored.

The Truth #6
04-15-2022, 02:35 PM
Posted this in the draft thread 3 months ago. Figured I’d repost it here.

Solid assessment. I'm still trying to figure out his intangibles, so to speak. I feel like he will be available when we pick.

Biggems
04-15-2022, 03:07 PM
I am personally not a fan of Duke players in the NBA, especially their bigs. As good as their bigs have been while at Durham, they have been average at best in the NBA.

Wait a minute Duren played at Memphis....nevermind....I still don't like him.

offset formation
04-15-2022, 04:17 PM
Man, Houston is gonna be scary good and deep in a few years.

duncan2150
04-15-2022, 05:16 PM
I'm open to being convinced why he will be good. All the highlights I see are dunks. A very few decent to, at worst, line drive jumpers. Feel for the game seems low. I could see him dropping. But he's an obviously insane physical specimen. But it seems he would have to develop a lot of skills. Or, you'd have to believe that his college system held him back, and I think that team was somewhat dysfunctional, if I remember correctly. The center from Duke might get picked before him.

He started to hit more jumpshot last two months of the season. You will see dunks in highlights but he really improve
Feel for the game improved during the season also, not a bad passer.

His team was bad wich don't help him.

exstatic
04-15-2022, 05:45 PM
He started to hit more jumpshot last two months of the season. You will see dunks in highlights but he really improve
Feel for the game improved during the season also, not a bad passer.

His team was bad wich don't help him.

Yeah, Penny said when they hit the top ten rankings, everyone (looking at you Emoni Bates) started playing for themselves. If we’re picking at 9, I have no problem picking an 18 YO who’s already some showing signs. He will be only a month older than Primo was when drafted.

offset formation
04-15-2022, 08:13 PM

BackHome
04-15-2022, 08:52 PM
Unless Sharpe, Murray, or Mathurin drop down where we can pick them I don't really know who would be our pick as a lot of players have some skills but they also have warts..
* Duren - Undersized center who has no outside shooting skills I thought that is why we never bought Nikola over?
* Sochren - Terrible Free Throw % which is a good indicator if they can ever be a good three point shooter - Plays under the rim
* Eason - Can not for his life go to his left at all - basketball IQ is a question
* Daniels - Terrible 3 point shooter

rascal
04-15-2022, 09:00 PM
Unless Sharpe, Murray, or Mathurin drop down where we can pick them I don't really know who would be our pick as a lot of players have some skills but they also have warts..
* Duren - Undersized center who has no outside shooting skills I thought that is why we never bought Nikola over?
* Sochren - Terrible Free Throw % which is a good indicator if they can ever be a good three point shooter - Plays under the rim
* Eason - Can not for his life go to his left at all - basketball IQ is a question

One of those three should be there at 9. I have no confidence that this current front office will take Sharpe. They seem to shy away from athleticism and potential explosive scorers. They'll take someone no one expects at 9.

The Truth #6
04-15-2022, 09:01 PM

Valid points, which is why I shrugged and thought - Johnny Davis, then? But, I think Dyson Daniels outside shooting started to improve. Someone is saying the same for Duren. Eason is weird in that he seems like an obvious contributor but most mock drafts have him ranked around 5-6 spots after we pick. So yeah, warts.

Degoat
04-15-2022, 09:04 PM

One of those guys will be available imo add in AJ griffin I think. Spurs are in a decent spot I think I do believe they need to grab the best available regardless of position.

Thomas82
04-15-2022, 09:07 PM
Yup I agree. If he's at 9 I wouldn't think twice.

He's my choice if we can't get lucky and get one of the big 3 (Holmgren, Smith, Banchero).

lebomb
04-16-2022, 04:54 PM
I think he is a great choice.........young, athletic, has tons of room to grow. Especially once Pop and the Spurs team work on his footwork and shooting stroke. All upside IMHO. Best available if he is still available at 9-11.

Ariel
04-16-2022, 05:25 PM
Keegan Murray is 3-4 years older than other prospects and playing nowhere near NBA athletes... both those are huge question marks regarding how he'll translate. Shaedon Sharpe hasn't proven himself at any other level than High School, and there are countless examples of top ranked HS players whose stock plummeted when they didn't perform according to expectations at a higher level. Point being every prospect has question marks, it's about figuring which are workable and which are deal breakers. I'm much closer to picking a long, smart, well rounded 18 y.o. who needs to work on his shooting, than a 22 y.o. who stands out by bullying weaker competition. But to each their own I guess.

rascal
04-16-2022, 05:31 PM
He's my choice if we can't get lucky and get one of the big 3 (Holmgren, Smith, Banchero).

I wouldn't touch Holmgren. He's the biggest bust potential in the top few picks. Don't like white centers in general and add to that a skinny one, not built for the rigors of the NBA, will likely not get through an entire season without breaking down with injury. If you're picking top three need to avoid the highest bust potential.

rascal
04-16-2022, 05:35 PM
Keegan Murray is 3-4 years older than other prospects and playing nowhere near NBA athletes... both those are huge question marks regarding how he'll translate. Shaedon Sharpe hasn't proven himself at any other level than High School, and there are countless examples of top ranked HS players whose stock plummeted when they didn't perform according to expectations at a higher level. Point being every prospect has question marks, it's about figuring which are workable and which are deal breakers. I'm much closer to picking a long, smart, well rounded 18 y.o. who needs to work on his shooting, than a 22 y.o. who stands out by bullying weaker competition. But to each their own I guess.

Of course Sharpe hasn't proven himself yet, he is young but look at the tape on this guy. If you have a keen eye you'll see his talent like many have. If he has proven himself already he would go 1st overall. You can get him lower than that now, a bargain.

Ariel
04-16-2022, 05:38 PM
Of course Sharpe hasn't proven himself yet, he is young but look at the tape on this guy. If you have a keen eye you'll see his talent like many have. If he has proven himself already he would go 1st overall. You can get him lower than that now, a bargain.
I agree. But I was responding to a post that points at question marks with certain players while ignoring huge ones on others. As for Sharpe, I would seriously consider him if he impresses in private workouts. Still a dangerous move, but the risk-reward ratio may be worth it. But not before then.

rascal
04-16-2022, 05:38 PM

Lebron James also came out of High school and was highly touted. You would have passed on him? You need to have a keen eye on extra special talented players and Sharpe passes for me.

rascal
04-16-2022, 05:41 PM
Primo was also a reach and gamble and he didn't look anywhere near as explosive and good as Sharpe looks.

Ariel
04-16-2022, 05:42 PM
Lebron James also came out of High school and was highly touted. You would have passed on him? You need to have a keen eye on extra special talented players and Sharpe passes for me.
No. But LeBron was a consensus no. 1 all year, and younger than Sharpe... why wasn't Sharpe considered to play this year at all in Kentucky if he was eligible as they say? The whole "we're getting him ready for next year" doesn't ring true to me.

Ariel
04-16-2022, 05:43 PM
Primo was also a reach and gamble and he didn't look anywhere near as explosive and good as Sharpe looks.
Hey, I always said Primo was a HUGE reach... don't use that argument with me... :lol

mo7888
04-16-2022, 05:48 PM
If we fall in love with Sharpe the best thing about it is that we won't have to move up much to get him (if at all). His ceiling, pre workouts, is probably 6 to Portland. The interesting thing is Portland, Sacramento, and Nola really don't help themselves much with a HS kid. All of those would prefer a more mature ready to go player on day 1.

rascal
04-16-2022, 05:52 PM
Sharpe, a consensus five-star recruit, graduated early from Dream City Christian School in Arizona. He enrolled at Kentucky in January following his commitment to the school in September 2021.

He left school early.

Kentucky’s initial plan was for Sharpe to enroll early in order to practice with the team to better prepare for his first full year with the program. However, after ESPN published a report in late January stating Sharpe could apply for the 2022 NBA draft, there was speculation he could play this season for the Wildcats after all. Calipari put that speculation to rest Monday.

Whenever Sharpe elects to declare for the NBA draft, he is expected to be a lottery pick.

rascal
04-16-2022, 05:53 PM
If we fall in love with Sharpe the best thing about it is that we won't have to move up much to get him (if at all). His ceiling, pre workouts, is probably 6 to Portland. The interesting thing is Portland, Sacramento, and Nola really don't help themselves much with a HS kid. All of those would prefer a more mature ready to go player on day 1.

Don't count on that. One of those teams will grab him before the spurs pick most likely.

BatManu20
04-16-2022, 06:03 PM
Would suck if he doesn’t declare tbh. Pushes all the other prospects up. I still think he goes pro though and hires an agent. Would be really dumb not to if you’re a guaranteed top-10 pick.

Ariel
04-16-2022, 06:10 PM
Sharpe, a consensus five-star recruit, graduated early from Dream City Christian School in Arizona. He enrolled at Kentucky in January following his commitment to the school in September 2021.

He left school early.

Kentucky’s initial plan was for Sharpe to enroll early in order to practice with the team to better prepare for his first full year with the program. However, after ESPN published a report in late January stating Sharpe could apply for the 2022 NBA draft, there was speculation he could play this season for the Wildcats after all. Calipari put that speculation to rest Monday.
Early? He's almost 19... if he's eligible and doesn't play because:
https://twitter.com/ukcoachcalipari/status/1490723090988507143?s=21

After talking with Shaedon and his parents, we want to end all of the speculation by again saying that he will not play for us this season. He is committed to bettering himself and our team in practice this year and being better prepared to lead us next season.
again: if he's that good, why does he need an extra preparation year than everyone else? his parents and his coach don't think he's good enough for College level basketball right now, it seems... He's almost 19, doesn't add up... unless they're counting on people going by hype, which doesn't speak well of their confidence in his abilities.

I reiterate: he seems to be a talented kid. But he is more unproven than most other guys his age, and circumstances surrounding his situation are unusual, at the very least. He may very well end up the best player in the draft, I don't dispute that. It's the fact that we're acting as if it's a given that I have a problem with.

BatManu20
04-16-2022, 06:12 PM
Upside is definitely there. 6’6 205 lbs with a 7’0 wingspan. Good athlete. Good looking jumper. Advanced dribble moves for an 18 year-old. He was the #1 ranked player in high school for a reason.

H5pMtp9dKLI

Ariel
04-16-2022, 06:13 PM
Upside is definitely there.

H5pMtp9dKLI
Yup. No one is disputing that.

mo7888
04-16-2022, 06:39 PM
Don't count on that. One of those teams will grab him before the spurs pick most likely.

I do expect him to go before we pick at 9 but, I'm pointing out the issues that face the 3 teams ahead of us. I personally have him 6th on my BB and I think we could move up to 6 fairly easily if we choose to pick him up.

offset formation
04-16-2022, 06:42 PM
Only problem is that he plays below the rim more often than he should with his size and athleticism. He's got quick ups too, so he ought to have that desire to jam it down. I like him but I just want to see more killer instinct offensively to match the defensive tenacity.

rascal
04-16-2022, 07:02 PM
I do expect him to go before we pick at 9 but, I'm pointing out the issues that face the 3 teams ahead of us. I personally have him 6th on my BB and I think we could move up to 6 fairly easily if we choose to pick him up.

It would be unSpurs like to move up a few spots and grab him. They tend to pass on the super athletic types.

I thought the Spurs should have targeted Mikael Bridges a couple years ago as I saw him as a great two way player but there was no word they were even interested in him.
Went 10th in the draft that year then Philly traded him to Phoenix for a lower pick. He is a big part of Phoenix's turnaround. Thought the spurs could have made a move to get him if they wanted to.

objective
04-16-2022, 07:04 PM
Don't have a big problem going Duren if Mathurin is off the board

Whether or not Poeltl is extended, having 48 minutes of good center play, or at least competent center play, would improve the team. I think Eubanks, Landale and Collins proved the Spurs still could use an upgrade at back up center. Sure, Koloko will probably be there for the Boston pick, but he wouldn't improve the defensive rebounding at all.

I might lean more into having Daniels and Sochan and Eason above him as the draft draws closer

rascal
04-16-2022, 07:13 PM

again: if he's that good, why does he need an extra preparation year than everyone else? his parents and his coach don't think he's good enough for College level basketball right now, it seems... He's almost 19, doesn't add up... unless they're counting on people going by hype, which doesn't speak well of their confidence in his abilities.

I reiterate: he seems to be a talented kid. But he is more unproven than most other guys his age, and circumstances surrounding his situation are unusual, at the very least. He may very well end up the best player in the draft, I don't dispute that. It's the fact that we're acting as if it's a given that I have a problem with.

Could be the program at Kentucky. Do they start many freshman out of high school there? Again if you want him proven then he goes number 1. He's probably going 5-8, somewhere just before the Spurs pick.

BatManu20
04-16-2022, 07:16 PM
r31jwzM4V68

rascal
04-16-2022, 07:17 PM
Don't have a big problem going Duren if Mathurin is off the board

Whether or not Poeltl is extended, having 48 minutes of good center play, or at least competent center play, would improve the team. I think Eubanks, Landale and Collins proved the Spurs still could use an upgrade at back up center. Sure, Koloko will probably be there for the Boston pick, but he wouldn't improve the defensive rebounding at all.

I might lean more into having Daniels and Sochan and Eason above him as the draft draws closer

Don't like Sochan at all. Seems like an over hyped player on this board like Louis Scola was.

mystargtr34
04-16-2022, 07:30 PM
Lol if the Spurs didn't trade Scola in 2007 they are contending from 2009-2011 instead of becoming first round fodder for those 3 years. They probably beat the Lakers in 2008 with Scola.

But lets not dig up old wounds.

Kevin
04-16-2022, 07:32 PM
I said this in another thread but him and Jak would be unplayable on offense. You could draft Duren and trade away Jak but they feels like a sideways move at best and rewinds the contending clock.

tonight...you
04-16-2022, 07:33 PM
Man, Houston is gonna be scary good and deep in a few years.
It doesn't matter.
Their FO is manned by weirdo maniacs. Like the town's football team, which is a weird coincidence.

ZeusWillJudge
04-16-2022, 07:51 PM

It always intrigues me that so many fans say that the Spurs' old school big men are trash in the New NBA, but a shiny new one is the answer. A lot of the same people thought, and probably still think, that Boban should be getting 30 minutes a night because his PER36 numbers are so incredible.

Duren will be situational. He'll get some big dunks and blocks. The Spurs need a PF - he's not one.

If Duren lives up to his maximum potential, maybe exceeds it, he IS Dwight Howard. Chances are, he won't be nearly that good.

PrimeMinister
04-16-2022, 07:53 PM
duren is nerlens noel redux

Uriel
04-16-2022, 07:54 PM
Scola thread!

lmbebo
04-16-2022, 07:55 PM
Not with lotto pick, if he falls until our 2nd or 3rd pick in 1st, sure. Doubt that happens though

rascal
04-16-2022, 08:30 PM
Lol if the Spurs didn't trade Scola in 2007 they are contending from 2009-2011 instead of becoming first round fodder for those 3 years. They probably beat the Lakers in 2008 with Scola.

But lets not dig up old wounds.

Like I said Spur fans over hype Scola.

offset formation
04-16-2022, 08:33 PM
It doesn't matter.
Their FO is manned by weirdo maniacs. Like the town's football team, which is a weird coincidence.

The football ones are creepy, religious zealots, and MAGAts. The basketball ones are just MAGAts best as I know. But you're right, all human filth.

Thomas82
04-16-2022, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't touch Holmgren. He's the biggest bust potential in the top few picks. Don't like white centers in general and add to that a skinny one, not built for the rigors of the NBA, will likely not get through an entire season without breaking down with injury. If you're picking top three need to avoid the highest bust potential.

He wouldn't exactly be my first choice either. My top choice would be Jabari Smith, but given that we'll likely be picking at 9, I would be happy with Jalen Duren.

Mr. Body
04-16-2022, 09:15 PM
I'd be disappointed with Duren. I thin he's shorter than listed and, while he's obviously a physical specimen and has good skills, he duplicates what we already have with Poeltl, if much less seasoned, and Poeltl is our second best player pretty easily. If the team feels Poeltl will be too expensive, then, sure, trade him, I'm just not excited about the pick. I'm also not sure if the type of player who goes to Memphis is a character fit for this franchise, frankly.

objective
04-16-2022, 09:51 PM
One of the reasons I think I've posted before for wanting a vertical big, just like how I wanted John Collins, is having a credible lob threat for the first time in forever.

For the love of God get Dejounte a lob threat.

There a Dunc'd On podcast last week or so on the free feed ranking the best point guards and they had Dejounte low and one or their reasons for having him so low was that he wasn't a real passer and despite his assist numbers he wasn't doing the kinds of assists that guys like Trae Young was doing. Well, no shit Dejounte isn't, because it's real easy for Trae to get those great assists because he's throwing lobs to Capela, Collins, and Okongwu all game long.

Let's see how many assists he gets when he has to deliver the ball to Jakob's waist because he can't get up, or the other stiffs the Spurs have

objective
04-16-2022, 10:04 PM
Same guy here made 2 videos: 1 from Derrick White with San Antonio this year when he was traded, and one at the end of the regular season with just Boston footage.

Compare the alley oops and passes to the rim White had in his highlight reel in Boston to San Antonio. A lot of Spurs fans like to pooh pooh White's impact because of his poor shooting numbers, but he's probably even better now ... Because he now has lob threats to play with.

https://youtu.be/oKNS99sLYPY

https://youtu.be/pNi39_o2g5g

rascal
04-16-2022, 10:16 PM
I'd be disappointed with Duren. I thin he's shorter than listed and, while he's obviously a physical specimen and has good skills, he duplicates what we already have with Poeltl, if much less seasoned, and Poeltl is our second best player pretty easily. If the team feels Poeltl will be too expensive, then, sure, trade him, I'm just not excited about the pick. I'm also not sure if the type of player who goes to Memphis is a character fit for this franchise, frankly.

Anyone hear that Duren has a bad character? Don't miss out on players for Spur character BS.

rascal
04-16-2022, 10:18 PM
Same guy here made 2 videos: 1 from Derrick White with San Antonio this year when he was traded, and one at the end of the regular season with just Boston footage.

Compare the alley oops and passes to the rim White had in his highlight reel in Boston to San Antonio. A lot of Spurs fans like to pooh pooh White's impact because of his poor shooting numbers, but he's probably even better now ... Because he now has lob threats to play with.

https://youtu.be/oKNS99sLYPY

https://youtu.be/pNi39_o2g5g

White is playing with better athletes.

Mr. Body
04-16-2022, 10:49 PM
Anyone hear that Duren has a bad character? Don't miss out on players for Spur character BS.

Memphis is a big red flag.

rascal
04-16-2022, 11:45 PM
One of the reasons I think I've posted before for wanting a vertical big, just like how I wanted John Collins, is having a credible lob threat for the first time in forever.

There a Dunc'd On podcast last week or so on the free feed ranking the best point guards and they had Dejounte low and one or their reasons for having him so low was that he wasn't a real passer and despite his assist numbers he wasn't doing the kinds of assists that guys like Trae Young was doing. Well, no shit Dejounte isn't, because it's real easy for Trae to get those great assists because he's throwing lobs to Capela, Collins, and Okongwu all game long.

Let's see how many assists he gets when he has to deliver the ball to Jakob's waist because he can't get up, or the other stiffs the Spurs have

Yes, Spurs need to add some talent that can play above the rim. They no longer have Tim Duncan who will bail them out.

rascal
04-16-2022, 11:47 PM
Memphis is a big red flag.

Why?

Mr. Body
04-17-2022, 12:42 AM
Why?

A player goes to Memphis when they don't want to be disciplined or coached and probably make some money. Wiseman going there was a red flag. That he couldn't even hack that was even worse. Anyway, you go to Memphis when you're an AAU type and don't really care about anything else.

objective
04-17-2022, 01:27 AM
Memphis players always seem raw and run around in confusion a lot doing what they want it seems. But compared to say, Precious Achiuwa, Duren is 2 years younger for his draft and I don't think he's as undisciplined.

I have heard draftniks talk up the poor guard play at Memphis and the notion that there's still some untapped unknown potential if he gets with competent NBA guards.

Same thing was said about Favors at Georgia Tech if I remember right, but he never became a star.

Favors might be a fair analog. Back in 2010 bigs were still king in the draft, besides Favors and Cousins, there was also Udoh, Monroe, and Aldrich in the lottery. Duren might have gone before Favors if he was in that draft.

Favors never played with a point guard half as good as Dejounte until his 7th year in the league when the Jazz had George Hill. Before that was a lot of Raul Neto, Trey Burke, Jamaal Tinsley, Dante Drum, etc etc. He actually didn't have good coaching until his 5th year when Snyder arrived

If Duren had a career like Favors, even though there's a recent injury caused decline, that wouldn't be so bad for the 9th pick.

objective
04-17-2022, 01:59 AM
Here's Favors' combine measurements, and hopefully Duren will measure at the combine too for comparison

Favors: 6-8.75 barefoot
Wingspan: 7-4
Standing reach: 9-2

Thomas82
04-17-2022, 02:11 AM
Here's Favors' combine measurements, and hopefully Duren will measure at the combine too for comparison

Favors: 6-8.75 barefoot
Wingspan: 7-4
Standing reach: 9-2

I still remember the Spurs interviewing Favors back then. I even remember the rumored trade of Tony Parker to the Nets for Devin Harris and the #3 pick, which would have been used on Favors.

objective
04-17-2022, 02:22 AM
And Duren is still super young.

He's only 5 weeks older than Primo for his draft year. November 18 birthday for Duren, December 24 for Primo.

Get him in the development program, get him working with Duncan, there could be so much to craft into something great.

Primo drafted discussion: "Stick him in the g-league, give him a few years! Let him learn. Who cares if the Spurs still have a hundred guards ahead of him on the roster, he's young!"

5 weeks older Duren discussion: "Eeeewww, we already have Poeltl! Kid can't play! We need another 6-5 combo with a bulbous cranium."

Dejounte
04-17-2022, 04:56 AM
Folks who think Timmy can work miracles :lmao

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-17-2022, 05:13 AM
Folks who think Timmy can work miracles :lmao

It’s the new Chip Engelland thing apparently - let’s sign xxx who can’t shoot and Chip will teach him.

Dejounte
04-17-2022, 05:30 AM
It’s the new Chip Engelland thing apparently - let’s sign xxx who can’t shoot and Chip will teach him.

But even that is plausible, even if it’s rare. So many bigs have come through here and most of them come out the same way. Timmy has done nothing noteworthy for past bigs. Bigs already have the skill framework or they don’t. The fact that people want to waste a pick on a Javale McGee or a past-his-prime version of Dwight Howard (hell, prime Dwight might not even excel today) is a headscratcher. To be a star center in this league, you’ve got to have an elite skillset as a big. This isn’t even a Kai Jones scenario where at least Kai was showcasing a bit more than a rim-rolling big. There doesn’t seem like much to work with with Duren and folks are simply blinded by his youth and his athleticism.

RC_Drunkford
04-17-2022, 07:53 AM

yup John Collins is the best roll man in the NBA. 1.49 points per posession

exstatic
04-17-2022, 08:06 AM
Oh good. Dejounte is down on Duren. That means he’ll be good. He fucking HATED Devin Vassell.

exstatic
04-17-2022, 08:07 AM
Oh good. Dejounte is down on Duren. That means he’ll be good. He fucking HATED Devin Vassell.

Dejounte
04-17-2022, 08:17 AM

This guy follows me everywhere and is the biggest hypocrite. :lmao Rent free.

Let’s not forget all the dumb shit you claimed you would be right about.

Get me on one guy whom I’ve acknowledged being wrong about (also, he hasn’t quite “made it” and he still has all the flaws I pointed out before he was drafted), and adjusted the way I view players but ignore the rest of the times I’m right :lmao

Meanwhile, you continue to double down on shit you’re wrong about and don’t have a clue when or how to be open minded because you’re a little weasel who is dumb as fuck.

BackHome
04-17-2022, 09:36 AM
I still don't know why so many people want Duren it's just seems like yesterday these same people were bitching about bringing Nikola over:
* The Center Spot has changed need players who can hit the 3 ball
* No need to waste a high pick on a center they hardly bring any thing because how the league has changed
* Don't bring Nikola over he can only Gorilla Dunk

R. DeMurre
04-17-2022, 09:47 AM

It's very interesting to me that Sharpe and Jabari Smith are the same age (born 17 days apart), but the age/potential argument is used so much more with him than it is with Smith. I get taking a chance with a guy that hasn't played a single college game, but it's also wise to remember that 18 months ago, many scouts had Emoni Bates as the best high school player in the country, and then he became a bench player at Memphis, and now he's in the process of transferring to a different college. If Bates came out right now, he might not even be a first round pick.

exstatic
04-17-2022, 10:05 AM
I still don't know why so many people want Duren it's just seems like yesterday these same people were bitching about bringing Nikola over:
* No need to waste a high pick on a center they hardly bring any thing because how the league has changed

Nikola didn’t come over for one reason: he’s a big lumbering Euro who can’t switch on defense.

duncan2150
04-17-2022, 10:22 AM

Nikola and Duren are not the same kind of player, one is athletic, the other is so so athletic. They have nothing in common except they are C's.

BatManu20
04-17-2022, 12:14 PM
Jalen Duren likely won’t be the pick regardless imo. Just don’t think PATFO will take a swing on him when guys like Tari, Sochan, & Dyson Daniels will likely still be on the board.

exstatic
04-17-2022, 02:46 PM
Jalen Duren likely won’t be the pick regardless imo. Just don’t think PATFO will take a swing on him when guys like Tari, Sochan, & Dyson Daniels will likely still be on the board.

Did you see them picking Primo last year?

exstatic
04-17-2022, 03:06 PM
This guy follows me everywhere and is the biggest hypocrite. :lmao Rent free.

Let’s not forget all the dumb shit you claimed you would be right about.

Get me on one guy whom I’ve acknowledged being wrong about (also, he hasn’t quite “made it” and he still has all the flaws I pointed out before he was drafted), and adjusted the way I view players but ignore the rest of the times I’m right :lmao

Meanwhile, you continue to double down on shit you’re wrong about and don’t have a clue when or how to be open minded because you’re a little weasel who is dumb as fuck.

You’re such an amusing little hater.

I don’t like Keegan Murray, because I think with only two years of NCAA experience, at nearly 22 he’s too old to select, but I would never leave him off of a tiered list of lottery prospects the way you omitted Duren. You just fucking hate this kid, the way you did Vassell.

Dejounte
04-17-2022, 03:23 PM
You’re such an amusing little hater.

I don’t like Keegan Murray, because I think with only two years of NCAA experience, at nearly 22 he’s too old to select, but I would never leave him off of a tiered list of lottery prospects the way you omitted Duren. You just fucking hate this kid, the way you did Vassell.

There are plenty of lottery prospects I left off my tier list. I’m not anybody’s infallible source of truth. It’s my opinion and mine alone. It’s pretty evident that Duren isn’t anybody I strongly care about when I’ve made… three posts about him? The problem here is you latch hard to certain players and you have a need to defend them because you get your panties in a wad if someone says anything negative like the sensitive bitch you are. Duren could or could not go on to prove me wrong and, like anybody should, I’ll admit I was wrong. I’m sorry that’s such a difficult concept for you… Let me tell you, it’s the only way someone can grow. And maybe you just stopped growing a long time ago, weasel.

objective
04-17-2022, 04:31 PM
I wanted the Spurs to bring milutinov over, yes, and I like Duren in this draft.

Why?

Because I'd like the Spurs to have a better roster. Pretty simple.

And Duren is 5x the rim protector Milutinov was/is. There's no comparison. Milutinov could square up and bother shots with his length. Duren can do that but can also go and get it. He's not Bam when moving his feet, but he's a lot closer to Bam then Milutinov on the feet sliding scale. There was some hope for Milutinov and switching when he was drafted as he was decent at it at the Adriatic level with Partisan, but as his body matured and the competition went up, that became less tenable for him.

Maybe people after decades of no vertical bigs on the Spurs just don't have an idea on what they can do for a team but also have no ability to scout it. Probably think that because Metu was a nobody that it doesn't matter, but mistaking Metu out of usc for a premium vertical big at the NBA level is like the Suns moving on from Amare for Hakim Warrick, who must be the same he can dunk too, right?

And re: Duncan working with bigs ... The point was Duren can and should still improve, he's literally 34 days older as an 18 year old than Primo at his draft. But there's one big difference: Duren will be a plus athlete in a big way, and Primo isn't. Maybe Duncan can help an 18 year old. Crazy.

spursince#99
04-17-2022, 05:04 PM
Mark Williams

TD 21
04-17-2022, 05:40 PM

Agree that vertical spacer is an underrated skill and obvious longtime need, it'd just feel underwhelming to spend a top 10 pick on a slightly undersized big, who lacks ball skills and has a questionable motor.

As I've said though, I can't imagine they'll draft him given that he's the antithesis of their preferred type of big.

objective
04-17-2022, 07:01 PM
Agree that vertical spacer is an underrated skill and obvious longtime need, it'd just feel underwhelming to spend a top 10 pick on a slightly undersized big, who lacks ball skills and has a questionable motor.

As I've said though, I can't imagine they'll draft him given that he's the antithesis of their preferred type of big.

I guess measurements will come out to see if he's truly undersized. If he's really or 6-11 in shoes or even 6-10 in shoes at 250 pounds I wouldn't say he's undersized. Not sure about ball skills given his age, and the motor thing due to how he he's been coached. Dejounte at college looked like one of the worst defenders ever, had some bad whispers about his character if those YouTube video thumbnails are to be believed, and on top of that looked like he was only leaving Washington because Fultz was incoming to take his starting point guard spot.

Maybe there are some reasons the Spurs wouldn't touch him, sure. But I can't figure those out after their drafts. Select Milutinov, need a better back up then Eubanks ... Never sign him. Dejounte didn't seem the Spurs type. Lonnie didn't seem the Spurs type. Sengun did seem like their type but no go.

exstatic
04-17-2022, 07:10 PM

Bam lists at 6’9”, which means w/o shoes, he’s probably 6’8”. Doesn’t seem to hinder him with his wingspan and springs.

I actually hope he measures out a bit short. Might make teams shy off him like they did Bam.

Mr. Body
04-17-2022, 07:38 PM
It's very interesting to me that Sharpe and Jabari Smith are the same age (born 17 days apart), but the age/potential argument is used so much more with him than it is with Smith. I get taking a chance with a guy that hasn't played a single college game, but it's also wise to remember that 18 months ago, many scouts had Emoni Bates as the best high school player in the country, and then he became a bench player at Memphis, and now he's in the process of transferring to a different college. If Bates came out right now, he might not even be a first round pick.

I think casuals get really excited by youtube footage. Johnny Juzang posted stuff on his twitter where he's hitting threes. Ben Simmons posted stuff where he hit outside shots. Who cares? High school footage isn't college.

Getting excited by a high school player who was on the cusp of playing for Kentucky... then for some reason didn't... and where Calipari made comments about his players needing to be in shape and ready right before he was shut down... doesn't bode well to me. Now, maybe things are different in work-outs, but if he doesn't do combines and so on, I move on. Those are really bad signs. The Emoni Bates comparison is spot on. Look back at the top high school rankings over the last 10-15 years and there are tons of guys who disappeared without a trace.

So, getting energized by Sharpe just because of some high school footage is just straight up casual garbage. Maybe he will be a great NBA player, but the indications will be anywhere else but those.

duncan2150
04-17-2022, 07:38 PM
Bam lists at 6’9”, which means w/o shoes, he’s probably 6’8”. Doesn’t seem to hinder him with his wingspan and springs.

I actually hope he measures out a bit short. Might make teams shy off him like they did Bam.

And i really think Duren is at least 6'9 without shoes and a legit 6'10, don't know where that undersized theory comes from.

The Truth #6
04-17-2022, 07:46 PM
Low skill centers are probably the least important type of player in the NBA, right? You have to believe he has glimpses of more than that to take him top ten.

exstatic
04-17-2022, 07:52 PM
Low skill centers are probably the least important type of player in the NBA, right? You have to believe he has glimpses of more than that to take him top ten.

He’s 18. He can be anything, at this point. I wouldn’t pick him as just a physical specimen as a 20 YO sophomore, but yeah, I’d pick him top 10.

Ariel
04-17-2022, 07:54 PM
He’s 18. He can be anything, at this point. I wouldn’t pick him as just a physical specimen as a 20 YO sophomore, but yeah, I’d pick him top 10.
Ian Mahinmi likes this post.

duncan2150
04-17-2022, 07:57 PM

The comp is something like Adebayo if we talk about actual nba so i think it's very important to have that kind of player. The real question imo is : Duren value with Poetl already there or Poetl value in general.

duncan2150
04-17-2022, 07:58 PM
Ian Mahinmi likes this post.

Mahinmi was never near what Duren is at the same age and i tell you that from France, i saw him playing in front of me.

I understand the debate about taking a C but i really think Duren is legit and have a good celling.

Ariel
04-17-2022, 08:08 PM
Mahinmi was never near what Duren is at the same age and i tell you that from France, i saw him playing in front of me.

I understand the debate about taking a C but i really think Duren is legit and have a good celling.
I didn't see Ian Mahinmi before the Spurs, but I remember the arguments about his physical tools, and I'm just wary whenever that's 90% of the arguments for picking a player.
I made a point of watching Duren's games during the NCAA tournament (watched as much as I could of the players that could be of interest to the Spurs) and came unimpressed with his game, for all the reasons mentioned. Sometimes a player surprises you and develops his game to where you didn't imagine, it's possible... but he'd have a long way to go from what I've seen to warrant the pick.

exstatic
04-17-2022, 08:11 PM
The comp is something like Adebayo if we talk about actual nba so i think it's very important to have that kind of player. The real question imo is : Duren value with Poetl already there or Poetl value in general.

I think Poeltl’s going the way of White. There was a demand for him at the deadline, and I'm guessing most of those teams are still interested. Charlotte dropped like a rock after passing and signing ‘Trezz Harrell.

objective
04-17-2022, 09:02 PM

I think he does have glimpses of more, but, while 'low skill' centers might be least important, plain old useful centers must not grow on trees because the Spurs did not have 48 minutes of quality center play. Charlotte was desperate for a center.

He's raw. Even his supporters among draftniks with podcasts think he'll need time to develop, if he ever does.

People bring up Bam or post-injury Dwight Howard as a comparison, I'll go back to comparing him to Derrick Favors. There's not a lot of YouTube videos covering Favors in college, but the ones that do break down how raw he was, how he would only be a dunking threat to start his career, how he sometimes just didn't play hard or lost guys, he couldn't shoot ... I think Favors has had a decent career. He developed over time. Disappointing as a third pick, sure, reasonable. But as a 9th pick? Not bad.

You can also see Favors in college wasn't as built as Duren. You'll also have to see the ridiculous fashions of the 00s as Georgia Tech had those oversized crumping clown uniforms, it's hard to watch.

How much 'more' do I think I see or imagine? I don't know. But is getting a backup center at 9 who could become a starter really any different than getting a backup guard or forward at 9 who could eventually start? Is there really anyone at 9 who wouldn't begin as a bench player? Some of these guys would go straight to the g-league. Some of them would be third string. Maybe Keegan Murray would have the quickest path to starting but he's another guy who might measure out small, so maybe not.

exstatic
04-17-2022, 09:26 PM
I think he does have glimpses of more, but, while 'low skill' centers might be least important, plain old useful centers must not grow on trees because the Spurs did not have 48 minutes of quality center play. Charlotte was desperate for a center.

He's raw. Even his supporters among draftniks with podcasts think he'll need time to develop, if he ever does.

People bring up Bam or post-injury Dwight Howard as a comparison, I'll go back to comparing him to Derrick Favors. There's not a lot of YouTube videos covering Favors in college, but the ones that do break down how raw he was, how he would only be a dunking threat to start his career, how he sometimes just didn't play hard or lost guys, he couldn't shoot ... I think Favors has had a decent career. He developed over time. Disappointing as a third pick, sure, reasonable. But as a 9th pick? Not bad.

You can also see Favors in college wasn't as built as Duren. You'll also have to see the ridiculous fashions of the 00s as Georgia Tech had those oversized crumping clown uniforms, it's hard to watch.

How much 'more' do I think I see or imagine? I don't know. But is getting a backup center at 9 who could become a starter really any different than getting a backup guard or forward at 9 who could eventually start? Is there really anyone at 9 who wouldn't begin as a bench player? Some of these guys would go straight to the g-league. Some of them would be third string. Maybe Keegan Murray would have the quickest path to starting but he's another guy who might measure out small, so maybe not.

It actually is different, and the bell curve is why. It’s MUCH harder to find a prospect with upside at 6’10” than at 6’5”, for the simple reason that the pool of prospects is smaller out at both ends of the curve. That’s why we keep drafting 6’5”/6’6” guys. That’s why we drafted Sammich.

The Truth #6
04-17-2022, 10:00 PM
To me, in my opinion, it also gets back to what type of player can get along with Pop and thrive in his style of play. If Pop is returning, I'm less interested in getting Duren because I don't think Pop works well with unskilled players. Maybe one dimensional players, but usually that's if they're already journeyman vets who've "gotten over themselves."

For me, avoiding unskilled players is a lesson of the Lonnie IV experiment. Nor does Pop like to work with players with questionable work ethic, i.e., Luka. So if his bbiq and feel for the game are sort of at a placental level at this point, he better be extremely hard working to make it with the Spurs. Having said all that, I'm not saying I'm in favor of this viewpoint, but I'm trying to objectively assess what type of players have succeeded and failed with the Spurs. I'd love for the Spurs to have a tough, defensive minded center who isn't all finesse. So, if the Spurs pick Duren I will hope that they saw enough to warrant the pick. I'm not against him. I'm just trying to state the challenges in drafting him.

Ariel
04-17-2022, 10:08 PM

Are you from France? If so, what's your opinion on another C prospect in Kamagate, who's also athletic and young (21), and could be had for much less (supposedly mid 20s).

XDT76
04-17-2022, 10:17 PM
If we need a young C, why don't we just try to sign J.Smith and use the 9th Pick to draft someone who could really play PF or someone who have a good handle to attack the rim.

Mr. Body
04-17-2022, 10:22 PM
If we need a young C, why don't we just try to sign J.Smith and use the 9th Pick to draft someone who could really play PF or someone who have a good handle to attack the rim.

Yeah. Wasting the #9 on the least important position in modern basketball when there are other options, not to mention Williams, Kessler, Koloko... available not too soon after, doesn't make sense to me.

Ariel
04-17-2022, 10:32 PM
I agree with this. Unless you're convinced that Duren is leaps and bounds above everyone else, it's much more efficient to draft an ok center with one of the latter picks (say Walker Kessler, Koloko or Kamagate) and sign Jalen Smith, and use the pick for something else.

mystargtr34
04-17-2022, 10:36 PM
Like I said Spur fans over hype Scola.

Not so much over-hyping Scola as to showing how utterly poor Duncan's front court partners were from 2008-2011. An old washed Oberto, Matt Bonner, DeJuan Blair, Drew Gooden lol. If you use the old VORP (value over replacement player), Scola would have been a huge upgrade just because of how bad those guys were.

Maybe the Spurs thought Splitter was coming over in 2007 so they traded Scola. Even then Pop sat Splitter his entire first year until they were a game away from elimination.

But happy to leave the convo here cause it fucking makes me angry thinking about it lol.

TD 21
04-17-2022, 11:30 PM
I guess measurements will come out to see if he's truly undersized. If he's really or 6-11 in shoes or even 6-10 in shoes at 250 pounds I wouldn't say he's undersized. Not sure about ball skills given his age, and the motor thing due to how he he's been coached. Dejounte at college looked like one of the worst defenders ever, had some bad whispers about his character if those YouTube video thumbnails are to be believed, and on top of that looked like he was only leaving Washington because Fultz was incoming to take his starting point guard spot.

Maybe there are some reasons the Spurs wouldn't touch him, sure. But I can't figure those out after their drafts. Select Milutinov, need a better back up then Eubanks ... Never sign him. Dejounte didn't seem the Spurs type. Lonnie didn't seem the Spurs type. Sengun did seem like their type but no go.

My guess is his measurements are similar to Favors, as you said. Hence "slightly", which meant good length/strength, but on the shorter side. I don't think it'll be much of an issue other than the obvious (Jokic, Embiid, maybe Valanciunas) but that goes for most.

True, but you could see immediately how driven Murray was. Not saying Duren necessarily isn't, just that it's been a knock.

Murray is the only recent pick who didn't seem like their type, but the opportunity was too good to pass up. They desperately needed a high ceiling prospect, especially guard, so to get a lottery caliber pick at 29, he'd have had to have really bombed the interview/background processes to overlook that.

buttsR4rebounding
04-18-2022, 02:54 AM
I will be totally bummed if Duren is our pick. When you can’t even shoot a left-handed lay-up coming into the league the development mountain is just too high to climb to waste a lottery pick on.

exstatic
04-18-2022, 06:31 AM
I will be totally bummed if Duren is our pick. When you can’t even shoot a left-handed lay-up coming into the league the development mountain is just too high to climb to waste a lottery pick on.

He’s 18, and one of the, if not actually the youngest player in the draft. There’s a ton of room for development if he goes to the right situation. Think of all the things he CAN do as essentially a HS aged player.

duncan2150
04-18-2022, 07:33 AM
Are you from France? If so, what's your opinion on another C prospect in Kamagate, who's also athletic and young (21), and could be had for much less (supposedly mid 20s).

Yes, i think Kamagate could be good to very good depends on his progression, he's showing some nice things. Imo the Spurs need another C, rim runner, shotblocker type and he's one of my target. He's at least imo a back up in the NBA actually.

Yeah. Wasting the #9 on the least important position in modern basketball when there are other options, not to mention Williams, Kessler, Koloko... available not too soon after, doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed on that tough i think Duren could develop very well, ceilling is high. I will be totally fine with Kessler, Williams, Koloko or Kamagate like i said higher.

Mr. Body
04-18-2022, 08:14 AM
Agreed on that tough i think Duren could develop very well, ceilling is high. I will be totally fine with Kessler, Williams, Koloko or Kamagate like i said higher.

I just don't think there's a high ceiling there. It's the least impactful position in the modern NBA unless you have a super-talent like Embiid or Jokic. If Duren projects to be a superb outside shooter, that's one thing, but there's only so much a center can do in this NBA.

mystargtr34
04-18-2022, 08:35 AM
I just don't think there's a high ceiling there. It's the least impactful position in the modern NBA unless you have a super-talent like Embiid or Jokic. If Duren projects to be a superb outside shooter, that's one thing, but there's only so much a center can do in this NBA.

Agree the C position is less impactful these days but don’t underestimate the impact of having a lob threat/vertical floor spacer. It’s a good relief valve for guys who can get into the paint like DeJounte to be able to lob it up next to the rim if the opposition C rotates to cut off the drive.

Jakob just doesn’t provide that although he has become pretty damn good at that short little shot put shot from about 5-10 feet.

In any case I’d be surprised if the Spurs took Duren or Williams with their first pick given Jakob is our second best/impactful player after Murray.

The Truth #6
04-18-2022, 08:35 AM
Can anyone share details why Duren's ceiling is high, other than being young and physically gifted? Is it playmaking? Shooting? The video clips I see are dunking and blocking shots.

mystargtr34
04-18-2022, 08:45 AM
Can anyone share details why Duren's ceiling is high, other than being young and physically gifted? Is it playmaking? Shooting? The video clips I see are dunking and blocking shots.

Good comparisons for Duren are the following players.

Rob Williams
Clint Capela
Jarrett Allen
Mitchell Robinson
Jaren Jackson
Dwight Powell

lebomb
04-18-2022, 08:48 AM

Rob Williams
Clint Capela
Jarrett Allen
Mitchell Robinson
Jaren Jackson
Dwight Powell

.............and every single one of these guys is very important to their team. The Cavs could not wait till Jarrett Allen got back into the lineup when he was out.

exstatic
04-18-2022, 08:49 AM

You’re only looking at one side of the ball. How many teams just kill us with lob after lob? What would it be like to have someone who can do what Poeltl does, WITH verticality?

duncan2150
04-18-2022, 09:02 AM

Like you said being young and physically gifted is the main strenghts of Duren. The ceilling is on ( exactly what you said) the passing, who starts to be interesting and the shooting from 5-6 ft, he showed some flashes, not something unbelivable but that he can shoot the ball especially from the left and right elbow ( left side, beyond the paint and baseline).

https://twitter.com/Alan_Guillou96/status/1503040879464001541

here's the trad of the tweet. "We knew Jalen Duren for his powerful aerial finishes & his impressive circle protection at his age. But what I prefer this year are the pass & shoot flashes, which we saw this summer at EYBL. He has just turned 18, the potential is immense"

Degoat
04-18-2022, 09:02 AM
The reason I’d be on board with Jalen Duren as our pick is the spurs current bigs just don’t cut it Imo if we wanna be a playoff team again we need to find a big who is a game changer. I was watching the warriors vs nuggets game the other night and they made life a living hell for Jokic, both draymond and Looney defended him excellent. Jakob and Collins literally give Jokic anything he wants and the same goes for the other talented bigs in our league, I mean even Valanciunas carved up Jakob…

exstatic
04-18-2022, 09:38 AM

From The Stepien

Archetype #3: The Vertical Dominator

NBA Examples: Jarrett Allen, Robert Williams, John Collins, Larry Nance Jr.

Core Competencies: Blocks, Dunks, Rim Finishing, Offensive Rebounds

Baseline Requirements: Not just being a great vertical athlete but knowing when and how to commit while providing a baseline of skills and physicality elsewhere on the court. Be an elite lob threat, but not at the sacrifice of versatility

Connects: Traditional guards and wing finishers

Prospects With a Chance to Thrive as Vertical Dominators:

1. Jalen Duren, Memphis

Secondary Archetype: Body Bagger

I wrote about Duren at length as, alongside Chet Holmgren (more on him soon), one of the elite rim protection prospects in this class. While there is a clear overlap between rim protection and this archetype, namely ability to get blocks, Duren also checks all the boxes on the offensive end while being one of the most versatile defensive prospects in general, rim protector or not.

First off, Duren is a flat-out incredible vertical athlete, with his great wingspan, quick leaping and max vertical. It is difficult to throw a lob out of range for the big, even if he ends up measuring only 6’9-10’’ rather than his listed 6’11’’. Beyond that, he’s incredibly strong for being the youngest prospect in the class, with great hands to guide the ball to the basket.

Duren would also qualify as a decent chance to be a Body Bagger with his constant physicality and good passing instincts and accuracy. Memphis lacked proper spacing and guard play, limiting Duren’s assist numbers and use as a pure roll threat as I believe both will look spectacular in an NBA system. With broad shoulders and decent footwork, it’s easy to picture him becoming one of the best screeners in the league as well.

From a different The Stepien article.

Rim Protector Type #1: Stay Home Bigs

To qualify: Defend over 20% of shots at the rim, and share of shots defended decreases every four feet interval.

Motto: “Keep away from the rim with size”

Prime examples: Rudy Gobert, Joel Embiid

Size is the name of the game for Stay Home bigs, though the ability to cover the few feet on either side of the hoop in a short amount of time is also key. But those who succeed in this spot have to have elite standing reach.

Rudy Gobert barely has to jump to block out the entire basket with his 9’7’’ standing reach, though has perfect footwork to maximize that frame as well. Embiid is a slightly shorter 9’5’’ standing reach, but even quicker to slide. In fact, he helps enough on the perimeter to classify as a Some Help big, but he would be as good as any as a pure drop big as well.

Another wrinkle key for this position is to be able to clear out the rim area for rebounds. Because these defenders are often trusted as the sole rim protectors who stay glued to the paint, they need to be a one-man rebounding crew

Duren is here for being only 6’10’’ (in some places reported as 6’9”) and still raw, but his physical gifts are special. Duren is able to clear out room with his strength, even as he just turned 18 playing against players multiple years older, but may still struggle to size up the true bigs in the NBA. I may have unfairly dinged him here because I prefer him in other categories, as I would still be comfortable using him in a drop role.

Rim Protector Type #2: Some Help Bigs

To qualify: Defend over 20% of shots at the rim, share of shots defended decreases every four feet further away except for one zone when they increase

Motto: “Use size to protect the rim but also plug select spots on perimeter”

1. Jalen Duren

Yea, here we go. These clips may not be super exciting, as Duren has plenty of highlight blocks. But here we see how smooth Duren is sliding, and how he can maintain his size during recovery to dominate contested rebounds. While the Memphis defense can be messy (and often with confusing scheme), Duren takes good slide angles and can recover quickly. This classification maximizes all of Duren’s physical tools, as you still want him near the basket most of the time, though with the ability to come out and wreck actions selectively.

Rim Protector Type #3: Unicorn

To qualify: Defend over 20% at the rim, shots defended increases twice as you move away from basket

Motto: “Be a presence everywhere at all times”

3. Jalen Duren

Duren joins Holmgren in the three-role club. Duren is an incredibly smooth mover, wreaking havoc no matter where he goes. The one issue is, being a little shorter and stockier, Duren would have to rely more on his leaping, and therefore be more sound in committing to his decisions. But Duren seems very capable of this at his young age, for example in the first clip foiling two different two-on-one attempts in one play. Duren’s ability to read actions already as the youngest prospect in the class, when tied to his athletic skills, means he has sky-high potential as a defender, everywhere on the court.

The Truth #6
04-18-2022, 09:46 AM
Like you said being young and physically gifted is the main strenghts of Duren. The ceilling is on ( exactly what you said) the passing, who starts to be interesting and the shooting from 5-6 ft, he showed some flashes, not something unbelivable but that he can shoot the ball especially from the left and right elbow ( left side, beyond the paint and baseline).

https://twitter.com/Alan_Guillou96/status/1503040879464001541

here's the trad of the tweet. "We knew Jalen Duren for his powerful aerial finishes & his impressive circle protection at his age. But what I prefer this year are the pass & shoot flashes, which we saw this summer at EYBL. He has just turned 18, the potential is immense"

If Duren could hit that jumper consistently, then that could be huge for him. He has to have some, at least minimal, offensive skill when the ball is already in his hands. Pick and pop. Pick and roll. I imagine that would be his offense in the beginning if the jumper was actually real. He doesn't seem to have any low post skills, which is still a concern. Anyway, I'm dubious the Spurs would pick him but they would have to see potential in work outs, which are often misleading, and I don't see this guy's agent taking him to the combine. We'll see. If he has a questionable motor/work ethic, then that is a hard pass for me. He will have to work really hard at being great for him to get even halfway there, but that's the same for any draft pick.

exstatic
04-18-2022, 09:51 AM
If Duren could hit that jumper consistently, then that could be huge for him. He has to have some, at least minimal, offensive skill when the ball is already in his hands. Pick and pop. Pick and roll. I imagine that would be his offense in the beginning if the jumper was actually real. He doesn't seem to have any low post skills, which is still a concern. Anyway, I'm dubious the Spurs would pick him but they would have to see potential in work outs, which are often misleading, and I don't see this guy's agent taking him to the combine. We'll see. If he has a questionable motor/work ethic, then that is a hard pass for me. He will have to work really hard at being great for him to get even halfway there, but that's the same for any draft pick.
I haven’t heard anyone question his motor/work ethic except you.

Guys who aren’t in the Top 4 generally go to the combine, get measured, and do a set of workouts for maybe 8-9 teams. He won’t play in the scrimmages. That’s usually the late firsts and seconds.

objective
04-18-2022, 09:56 AM
He's a year younger than Wiseman was for his draft. So while the shooting isn't as promising perhaps as for Wiseman and he's smaller, he has time to catch up. And he probably won't miss loads of development time like Wiseman has.

And we'll see with the measurements, but it doesn't look like he has tiny hands like Wiseman. Rebounding and strength are supposed to be potential positives for Duren, and the Spurs need all the rebounding they can get if they still are going to roll so small with their forwards

Mr. Body
04-18-2022, 10:02 AM

He's 18, so it's magic.

exstatic
04-18-2022, 10:16 AM
He's a year younger than Wiseman was for his draft. So while the shooting isn't as promising perhaps as for Wiseman and he's smaller, he has time to catch up. And he probably won't miss loads of development time like Wiseman has.

And we'll see with the measurements, but it doesn't look like he has tiny hands like Wiseman. Rebounding and strength are supposed to be potential positives for Duren, and the Spurs need all the rebounding they can get if they still are going to roll so small with their forwards

Didn’t Wiseman play like 3 games for Memphis?

XDT76
04-18-2022, 10:25 AM
I am not sure whether I support or oppose to this draft. He would be an agile big with good athletic ability we crave. However he seems to be poor against opponent with size, also his FT% is a concern.

The Truth #6
04-18-2022, 10:27 AM
Trigger warning: He seems like a younger, more athletic, slightly bigger Garuba from last year, though with less bbiq but greater physical gifts. I liked Garuba as a prospect generally speaking. I could be talked into liking Duren but haven't heard or seen any great arguments so far. Typically, players like this are picked in the teens, like Robert Williams or DeAndre Jordan. There's a high bust potential with Duren if taken in the top ten I would argue. So it's a risky pick. I would love to have a lob threat for our team, too, so I get the frustration. If he was around with the second FRP, then that makes more sense for me.

exstatic
04-18-2022, 11:24 AM
Trigger warning: He seems like a younger, more athletic, slightly bigger Garuba from last year, though with less bbiq but greater physical gifts. I liked Garuba as a prospect generally speaking. I could be talked into liking Duren but haven't heard or seen any great arguments so far. Typically, players like this are picked in the teens, like Robert Williams or DeAndre Jordan. There's a high bust potential with Duren if taken in the top ten I would argue. So it's a risky pick. I would love to have a lob threat for our team, too, so I get the frustration. If he was around with the second FRP, then that makes more sense for me.

Slightly bigger is probably a short sell.

Garuba is 6’8” 230 with a 7’2 wingspan. He has center skills, such as they are, but is sized like a combo forward. He played in the lower level Spanish league, and averaged 4.7p/4.6r over two seasons. His draft age was almost a year older than Duren’s.

Duren is 6’10” 250 with a 7’5” wingspan. He has center skills and a centers body. He played in the NCAA, and averaged 12p/8.1r in 29 games.

SAGirl
04-18-2022, 01:49 PM

Rob Williams
Clint Capela
Jarrett Allen
Mitchell Robinson
Jaren Jackson
Dwight Powell
Jaren Jackson could shoot the ball when he came in. I don’t know what happened to his shot after he got injured last season but he’s been a shooter since getting drafted, he can also put the ball on the floor and dribble. He was very raw when drafted but could shoot from the very beginning….

SAGirl
04-18-2022, 02:09 PM
I am very intrigued by Duren though the lack of any use of the left hand is very concerning to me tbh. He’s very young but guys this age can at least make a layup with both hands I think, that’s something they practice in basketball drills since youth/early teens.

It just gives me a Ben Simmons kind of vibe in the sense that a player is so gifted physically that they stay content just being what they are because they already dominate without needing to add that one thing they need to add. It’s a totally subjective evaluation I recognize, but interviews and background checks would be necessary to vet him.

I do believe he can help the Spurs, but how would he could be is the question.

exstatic
04-18-2022, 03:02 PM
I am very intrigued by Duren though the lack of any use of the left hand is very concerning to me tbh. He’s very young but guys this age can at least make a layup with both hands I think, that’s something they practice in basketball drills since youth/early teens.

It just gives me a Ben Simmons kind of vibe in the sense that a player is so gifted physically that they stay content just being what they are because they already dominate without needing to add that one thing they need to add. It’s a totally subjective evaluation I recognize, but interviews and background checks would be necessary to vet him.

I do believe he can help the Spurs, but how would he could be is the question.

Manu didn’t use his right hand until probably 2010. David Robinson never did, and managed to get into the HOF.

duncan2150
04-18-2022, 03:30 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1516148476991713281?t=Ah1kWs7p5yyLB11gNq_1-Q&s=19

objective
04-18-2022, 03:51 PM
Duren is also nearly 1.5 years younger than Bam Adebayo at draft time if I did my quick math right.

Not saying he's on track to be Bam or anything, but he has a lot of development time ahead of him. And physically he's already mostly there.

Thomas82
04-18-2022, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't even be worried about his height since he's just 18 and can still grow another inch or 2.

TD 21
04-18-2022, 05:49 PM
The reason I’d be on board with Jalen Duren as our pick is the spurs current bigs just don’t cut it Imo if we wanna be a playoff team again we need to find a big who is a game changer. I was watching the warriors vs nuggets game the other night and they made life a living hell for Jokic, both draymond and Looney defended him excellent. Jakob and Collins literally give Jokic anything he wants and the same goes for the other talented bigs in our league, I mean even Valanciunas carved up Jakob…

Duren will be hard pressed to be as high an impact player as Poeltl, let alone higher.

I know the Spurs would never sign Robinson and would have to give Bamba an exorbitant offer sheet, but if they really want this type or someone who could be (minus the strength), it can be had for cheaper than the cost of a top 10 pick. Virtually every comp for him was a late 1st/early 2nd.

The demise of bigs is greatly exaggerated, but if you're going to select one high, they better be skilled.

objective
04-18-2022, 07:10 PM
The demise of bigs is greatly exaggerated, but if you're going to select one high, they better be skilled.

When you (and others refer to skill), are you only talking about 3 point shooting?

Because guys like Bam don't even take 3s, he's 0-6 on the season, 4-28 total the last 3 seasons.

There's other skills like passing and operating in the short roll, 1 dribble and a good decision ... I think there's enough footage to be hopeful that Duren will be a good cog in the offense with passing and making plays. There's also footage where he turns out over like Eubanks with bad decisions, but he's 18.

His hands look good enough to me, though I could be wrong as I haven't watched everything, but I think catching and handling passes is a skill.

And even the shooting isn't something I'd write off. He was very poor on free throws and bad in his few mid range, but the shots he did make looked promising. I think he looked better form wise than I remember Precious showing at Memphis and he was 2 years older. Favors developed a mid-range and improved that and his free throws as his career progressed. Dedmon developed a three.

There is one scouting video where the host was stressing that he's a poor pick and roll defender with no communication. That's a skill be definitely needs to improve. Communication issues would worry me more than shooting.

CGD
04-18-2022, 08:55 PM
Like Duren, but I’m still favoring a big wing with size at 9, and then seeing if Mark Williams from Duke (another 7’ w/7,5” wingspan) drops to 20.

DPG21920
04-18-2022, 09:16 PM
Duren is definitely going to be like tier 5 on timvp draft list lol

ZeusWillJudge
04-18-2022, 09:58 PM

When you (and others refer to skill), are you only talking about 3 point shooting?

There's other skills like passing and operating in the short roll, 1 dribble and a good decision ... I think there's enough footage to be hopeful that Duren will be a good cog in the offense with passing and making plays. There's also footage where he turns out over like Eubanks with bad decisions, but he's 18.

His hands look good enough to me, though I could be wrong as I haven't watched everything, but I think catching and handling passes is a skill.

And even the shooting isn't something I'd write off. He was very poor on free throws and bad in his few mid range, but the shots he did make looked promising. I think he looked better form wise than I remember Precious showing at Memphis and he was 2 years older. Favors developed a mid-range and improved that and his free throws as his career progressed. Dedmon developed a three.

There is one scouting video where the host was stressing that he's a poor pick and roll defender with no communication. That's a skill be definitely needs to improve. Communication issues would worry me more than shooting.

It's about versatility. 3P shooting is one of the skills I would value most highly, but the ability to defend outside of the paint is another. The PnR is all about timing, and for a big man knowing where/when to set the pick, and when to release it. It helps a lot if he can put the ball on the floor more than once on the way to the hole. If Boban could have figured out the PnR, he would be a beast instead of a myth.

If a C isn't versatile in this league, he's situational. Or he has to land on an absolutely perfect roster. This isn't that roster. Duren isn't as slow and plodding as Boban, but I would really hate to see the Spurs spend the 9 pick on him. That's my take, anyway.

rankingtear
04-18-2022, 11:13 PM
Not for us. Wright is just begging someone to overpay for Jakob to get that shooting 5 in the starting lineup. We are not investing in a rim runner. Our best guys KJ/DJ needs space not a lob target.

XDT76
04-19-2022, 01:22 AM
Not for us. Wright is just begging someone to overpay for Jakob to get that shooting 5 in the starting lineup. We are not investing in a rim runner. Our best guys KJ/DJ needs space not a lob target.

We should look at J. Smith as a FA where he can provide both a lob target and 3pt shooting. He is also an aggressive rebounder (both O&D)

exstatic
04-19-2022, 08:03 AM
Like Duren, but I’m still favoring a big wing with size at 9, and then seeing if Mark Williams from Duke (another 7’ w/7,5” wingspan) drops to 20.

All big guys with 7’5” wingspans are not created equal. Williams upside is less than Duren’s. There’s a reason one is top 10, and one is next 10.

CGD
04-19-2022, 05:41 PM
All big guys with 7’5” wingspans are not created equal. Williams upside is less than Duren’s. There’s a reason one is top 10, and one is next 10.

In this case, though, it’s largely a two year age difference and that’s largely it. No brainer pick 20 years ago, just seems the rim runner type is easier to find these days on the open market than in the past.

BackHome
04-19-2022, 07:31 PM
Actually Williams has been burning up in a lot of mocks lately seen some where he is picked 11 but most have him going to Charlotte at 13

CGD
04-19-2022, 08:05 PM
Actually Williams has been burning up in a lot of mocks lately seen some where he is picked 11 but most have him going to Charlotte at 13

They must be doing mocks based on need now. I forget CHA is in desperate need of a center, so that makes sense since Duren will likely be gone by then

mystargtr34
04-19-2022, 09:07 PM
I think Duren's ceiling is a prime or near prime Dwight Howard with his most iikely scenario being Rob Williams.

The game has changed a lot since the 00's when Dwight came in but it will be interesting to see if Duren can develop any sort of basic post game like Dwight did which was basically using his strength to put his shoulder into the defender a couple times to get close to the rim and then elevate for a hook shot. He's going to have similar freak athleticism to Dwight so he will catch anything and everything around the rim as a lob threat. Dwight never developed any sort of passing game or a jump shot, I think Duren can develop those areas but these are all big ifs.

Imo he is going to have very similar physical measurements to Dwight (6'9 without shoes, 7'4.5" wingspan, 9'3.5" standing reach) with a body that could easily be in the 250-260 range by the time he fills out.

Will be interesting to see how he develops. Potential is through the roof but potential is one thing and how he develops another thing.

mo7888
04-19-2022, 09:47 PM
I think Duren's ceiling is a prime or near prime Dwight Howard with his most iikely scenario being Rob Williams.

The game has changed a lot since the 00's when Dwight came in but it will be interesting to see if Duren can develop any sort of basic post game like Dwight did which was basically using his strength to put his shoulder into the defender a couple times to get close to the rim and then elevate for a hook shot. He's going to have similar freak athleticism to Dwight so he will catch anything and everything around the rim as a lob threat. Dwight never developed any sort of passing game or a jump shot, I think Duren can develop those areas but these are all big ifs.

Imo he is going to have very similar physical measurements to Dwight (6'9 without shoes, 7'4.5" wingspan, 9'3.5" standing reach) with a body that could easily be in the 250-260 range by the time he fills out.

Will be interesting to see how he develops. Potential is through the roof but potential is one thing and how he develops another thing.

I think that's pretty on point with one caveat... Duren has shown flash of a mid range game late in the season that Dwight never had.

Ariel
04-19-2022, 09:50 PM
If this thread goes on 2 more pages, Duren will have shown flashes of solving the Riemann hypothesis...

Seventyniner
04-19-2022, 10:52 PM
If this thread goes on 2 more pages, Duren will have shown flashes of solving the Riemann hypothesis...

That would be a hell of a lot better than when Shaq said his game is like the Pythagorean Theorem because it couldn't be solved.

rascal
04-20-2022, 08:42 AM

Would you do Poeltl and 25 for 13? Take Duren at 9 and have 13 - Eason, Daniels, Ogbaji

lebomb
04-20-2022, 08:49 AM
Would you do Poeltl and 25 for 13? Take Duren at 9 and have 13 - Eason, Daniels, Ogbaji

I would.............

Ariel
04-20-2022, 11:11 AM
Considering the trade talks with Charlotte before that, centered around PJ Washington + Kai Jones (and a pick which they weren't willing to include), I would try adding the Boston pick to that deal to make it work. That sounds like a better deal for us and, considering how much they've been exposed recently for not having a competent defensive presence, they may now be willing to revisit it.

exstatic
04-20-2022, 11:18 AM
Considering the trade talks with Charlotte before that, centered around PJ Washington + Kai Jones (and a pick which they weren't willing to include), I would try adding the Boston pick to that deal to make it work. That sounds like a better deal for us and, considering how much they've been exposed recently for not having a competent defensive presence, they may now be willing to revisit it.

OK, WE don’t need to add a pick, THEY do. You don’t go from “we won’t accept this deal without a FRP” to “we’ll now accept your Shit offer AND give you a pick.”

We don’t have to trade Poeltl, but have at least 3 teams interested.

They crashed and burned by signing ‘Trezz Harrell.

They’re the ones that need this particular trade, not us.

Ariel
04-20-2022, 11:29 AM
OK, WE don’t need to add a pick, THEY do. You don’t go from “we won’t accept this deal without a FRP” to “we’ll now accept your Shit offer AND give you a pick.”

We don’t have to trade Poeltl, but have at least 3 teams interested.

They crashed and burned by signing ‘Trezz Harrell.

They’re the ones that need this particular trade, not us.
The Spurs wanted their pick (13), they didn't want to give it up. That's were it broke down. I'm saying give up 25 so that they accept giving up 13. That's halfway between both positions.

The Spurs still have other options, true, but I like this one better than anything Chicago or Toronto could potentially offer, even with these changes. BTW, we're one stupid GM away from having to overpay Poeltl or lose him to FA in a year... there's time, but only so much...

exstatic
04-20-2022, 11:35 AM
They already rejected that trade, so unless they revisit their position (might be, but that's on them), you have to change something (i.e. adding the Boston pick so that they accept trading their own). So basically they weren't willing to trade away their pick (13), now their just trading down (from 13 to 25). That still sounds like a good deal to me, but if they can pull it off in the original terms, all the better.

They rejected the trade, and fell from a playoff spot, to the 9/10 play in, and got bounced. They fucked up by not adding the pick. They also LITERALLY had a FRP (#15) drop into their lap by New Orleans making the playoffs

WE DONT HAVE TO DO A TRADE WITH CHARLOTTE. We don’t have to trade Jak at all, but if we do, Toronto and Chicago were both interested at the deadline. Jeez, I’d love to be at a poker table with some of you who refuse to see a strong hand.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 11:40 AM
First Team All-American Kofi Cockburn from Illinois just declared for the Draft this morning. Another Center to add in the First Round of the Draft. Could shake things up.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 11:40 AM
Maybe it’s because I’m Canadian but how the fk do you all have great insight into college basketball players? Genuinely impressed. Half of ya’ll NCAAB knowledge is > than your Spurs knowledge lol.

Ariel
04-20-2022, 11:44 AM
First Team All-American Kofi Cockburn from Illinois just declared for the Draft this morning. Another Center to add in the First Round of the Draft. Could shake things up.
There are many doubts as to how he'd translate to the modern NBA game, but that dude looks like you put Hulk on a bball jersey and threw him onto the court. Regardless it'd be interesting to watch him.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 11:45 AM
There are many doubts as to how he'd translate to the modern NBA game, but that dude looks like you put Hulk on a bball jersey and threw him into the court. Regardless it'd be interesting to watch him.

He’s definitely an old-school Center prototype. Back-to-the-basket player with good footwork. But he’s going to be a beast on the boards and great pay defender of nothing else. 7’0 290 lbs with a 7’4 wingspan is freakish. Can’t teach that.

Mr. Body
04-20-2022, 11:47 AM
The Spurs wanted their pick (13), they didn't want to give it up. That's were it broke down. I'm saying give up 25 so that they accept giving up 13. That's halfway between both positions.

The Spurs still have other options, true, but I like this one better than anything Chicago or Toronto could potentially offer, even with these changes. BTW, we're one stupid GM away from having to overpay Poeltl or lose him to FA in a year... there's time, but only so much...

I just want to say there's no evidence whatsoever that this trade was real.

JPB
04-20-2022, 11:54 AM

Are we sure we want a guy named "Kofi cockburn" in our team?

exstatic
04-20-2022, 11:55 AM
He’s definitely an old-school Center prototype. Back-to-the-basket player with good footwork. But he’s going to be a beast on the boards and great pay defender of nothing else. 7’0 290 lbs with a 7’4 wingspan is freakish. Can’t teach that.

So what? That’s two points. His team is going to get threes rained down on the because he can’t switch effectively.

exstatic
04-20-2022, 11:56 AM

There never is for trades that don’t happen.

Ariel
04-20-2022, 12:03 PM
Well... I don't have film of talks going through if that's what you mean... I saw it on HoopsHype at the time:
https://hoopshype.com/2022/02/10/nba-rumors-pj-washington-kai-jones-jakob-poeltl-trade/

CGD
04-20-2022, 02:54 PM

Yeah, could you imagine how insufferable the asshole (and his hype man) with the “bend over I’ll show you” schtick would be?

TD 21
04-20-2022, 04:15 PM

Because guys like Bam don't even take 3s, he's 0-6 on the season, 4-28 total the last 3 seasons.

More so ball skills in general (dribble, pass, shoot) as well as feel/IQ. Most of the vertical spacers are lacking in most or all of those areas.

Adebayo is the rare one who isn't.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 05:03 PM
Jalen Duren is about 20x more exciting as a late lottery pick than Primo or Vassell.

offset formation
04-20-2022, 05:36 PM

Fuckin A. Dude has elite positioning amd well above average footwork and a soft touch with both hands that is unteachable. I'd rather have him than Duren.

mystargtr34
04-20-2022, 05:41 PM

Could pass as a porn name ngl

rascal
04-20-2022, 07:30 PM
There are many doubts as to how he'd translate to the modern NBA game, but that dude looks like you put Hulk on a bball jersey and threw him onto the court. Regardless it'd be interesting to watch him.

It doesn't look like he has any offense away from the basket. A dunker is about it. And his passing is not very good but an intimidating shot blocker and rebounder. He can work if the Spurs have good scoring fire power on the wings.

XDT76
04-20-2022, 09:45 PM
So what? That’s two points. His team is going to get threes rained down on the because he can’t switch effectively.

Not sure how many centres in the NBA doesn't fall into this category. Even MVP candidate joker got killed by GSW on the switch.

offset formation
04-20-2022, 11:00 PM

Did you just write off an easy bucket, gained skillfully, from the Center position from this team?

exstatic
04-20-2022, 11:08 PM
Did you just write off an easy bucket, gained skillfully, from the Center position from this team?

I didn’t, but the NBA sure as fuck did with the 2015 rules changes. Some teams don’t even keep a true backup on their roster. They just run out 3 forwards for a front line.

The only place scoring buckets two points at a time will get you is behind, and further behind.

offset formation
04-20-2022, 11:23 PM
I didn’t, but the NBA sure as fuck did with the 2015 rules changes. Some teams don’t even keep a true backup on their roster. They just run out 3 forwards for a front line.

The only place scoring buckets two points at a time will get you is behind, and further behind.

Maybe true, but someone should let Pop know given were in the bottom tier of the league on attempts and makes.

Yet somehow we mansged to be the first team since like 1980 or whenever to have a positive plus/minus with a losing record (and we weren't even close to a winning record). So perhaps two of our more reliable players in Murray and Poeltl are not good for the team.

Big Empty
04-21-2022, 07:18 PM
Ok im sold on this kid now if he’s still available at 9. 18 years old, 6’11 with a 7’5 wingspan and a 37 inch vertical. Could be a nice peice in 2-3 years.

BackHome
04-21-2022, 08:17 PM
6'10 maybe, but to be honest I think he will get taken before we pick...

offset formation
04-22-2022, 12:24 AM
I'm all in on Cock burn.

exstatic
04-22-2022, 06:51 AM
I'm all in on Cock burn.

Of course you are.

offset formation
04-22-2022, 07:59 AM
Of course you are.

I set everyone up and this is the best ya got?

Thomas82
04-22-2022, 03:53 PM
Ok im sold on this kid now if he’s still available at 9. 18 years old, 6’11 with a 7’5 wingspan and a 37 inch vertical. Could be a nice peice in 2-3 years.

Jabari Smith is my pipe dream pick, but this kid is my top choice if he's available when we make our first pick.

exstatic
04-22-2022, 06:40 PM
I set everyone up and this is the best ya got?

I didn’t want to steal baseline’s thunder with… Bend over, I’ll show you Cock burn.

Big Empty
04-22-2022, 06:48 PM
Jabari Smith is my pipe dream pick, but this kid is my top choice if he's available when we make our first pick.
Me too. Smith looks like exactly what we’re missing

T Park
04-22-2022, 06:58 PM

Washington is garbage and Kai Jones is meh. The trade rumor at the time made zero sense.

Ariel
04-22-2022, 07:06 PM
Washington is garbage and Kai Jones is meh. The trade rumor at the time made zero sense.
It made sense to the Spurs' FO, who were pushing for a first round pick (which is now at 13). That's the point of the deal, if it gets done. Kai Jones did very well in the G League, to the point were it has to at least make you wonder. He's 6'10" with great athleticism and just turned 21... That's by no means a guarantee of anything, but there's no downside to picking him up.

Mr. Body
04-22-2022, 08:11 PM

Imagine trading a very productive defensive center who is becoming a hub in the offense for a blah PF who doesn't do much and a crappy long term prospect so might some day be as good, maybe, as the guy you're trading.

Ariel
04-22-2022, 08:24 PM
Imagine calling Kai Jones a "crappy long term prospect" but Primo a "top 5 pick in this year's draft"
:lol

Mr. Body
04-22-2022, 08:32 PM
Imagine calling Kai Jones a "crappy long term prospect" but Primo a "top 5 pick in this year's draft"

When did I say that? Lol. Even so, Primo is closer to that destination than Kai "what even is basketball?" Jones.

exstatic
04-22-2022, 08:49 PM

Kai was drafted by a team desperate for a center. Josh was drafted by a team flush with guards and wings.

Kai: 63 minutes
Josh: 965 minutes

Kai is trash if that’s all the minutes he can get.

BackHome
04-22-2022, 10:40 PM
I didn’t want to steal baseline’s thunder with… Bend over, I’ll show you Cock burn.

:lmao

Ariel
04-22-2022, 10:55 PM
Kai was drafted by a team desperate for a center. Josh was drafted by a team flush with guards and wings.

Kai: 63 minutes
Josh: 965 minutes

Kai is trash if that’s all the minutes he can get.
If minutes played were a reflection of having earned them, you'd have a point. But since the Spurs have openly acknowledged Primo is getting minutes no matter what because his development is a priority, while the Hornets played veterans because winning is a priority, your premise is invalid and thus so is your argument.

Ariel
04-22-2022, 11:02 PM
When did I say that? Lol. Even so, Primo is closer to that destination than Kai "what even is basketball?" Jones.
So you're saying the FO has repeatedly been interested in a player who is trash and doesn't have any idea what basketball is. That's a bold statement of yours.

Mr. Body
04-22-2022, 11:02 PM
If minutes played were a reflection of having earned them, you'd have a point. But since the Spurs have openly acknowledged Primo is getting minutes no matter what because his development is a priority, while the Hornets played veterans because winning is a priority, your premise is invalid and thus so is your argument.

When did they say this?

exstatic
04-23-2022, 12:22 AM

Who’s their awesome veteran center keeping him out of the lineup?

exstatic
04-23-2022, 12:23 AM
When did they say this?

In his mind. He got pulled from games, and sent down to Austin for weeks.

Mr. Body
04-23-2022, 06:18 AM
In his mind. He got pulled from games, and sent down to Austin for weeks.

In fact it's the opposite. The team has said promo W is on his own development timeline. He wouldn't be playing unless they thought he was ready to play.

T Park
04-24-2022, 03:06 AM
Imagine trading a very productive defensive center who is becoming a hub in the offense for a blah PF who doesn't do much and a crappy long term prospect so might some day be as good, maybe, as the guy you're trading.

Yeah it made no sense. Hated it the minute I read that.

lebomb
04-26-2022, 07:04 AM
Well, at least one publication agrees with me...................

ESPN’s NBA mock draft: Round one

Houston Rockets: Gonzaga PF Chet Holmgren
Orlando Magic: Auburn PF Jabari Smith
Detroit Pistons: Duke PF Paolo Banchero
Oklahoma City Thunder: Purdue PG Jaden Ivey
Indiana Pacers: Iowa PF Keegan Murray
Portland Trail Blazers: Kentucky SG Shaedon Sharpe
Sacramento Kings: Wisconsin SG Johnny Davis
New Orleans Pelicans (via Los Angeles Lakers): Duke F AJ Griffin
9. San Antonio Spurs: Memphis C Jalen Duren
Washington Wizards: G League Ignite PG Dyson Daniels
New York Knicks: Arizona SF Bennedict Mathurin
Oklahoma City Thunder (via Los Angeles Clippers): NZ Breakers SF Ousmane Dieng
Charlotte Hornets: Duke C Mark Williams
Cleveland Cavaliers: Kansas SF Ochai Agbaji
Charlotte Hornets (via New Orleans Pelicans): Baylor PF Jeremy Sochan
Atlanta Hawks: Ohio State SG Malaki Branham
Houston Rockets: Kentucky PG TyTy Washington Jr.
Chicago Bulls: LSU PF Tari Eason
Minnesota Timberwolves: Mega Mozzart SF Nikola Jovic
San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors): Tennessee PG Kennedy Chandler
Denver Nuggets: G League Ignite SG MarJon Beauchamp
Memphis Grizzlies (via Utah Jazz): Notre Dame SG Blake Wesley
Brooklyn Nets (via Philadelphia 76ers, Nets can defer pick to 2023): Auburn C Walker

south side spur
06-12-2022, 01:16 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/san-antonio-draft-jalen-duren-larry-brown-jakob-poeltl-gregg-popovich

Legendary basketball coach Larry Brown was a member of the coaching staff with the Memphis Tigers during the 2021-22 season. He was around Duren on a daily basis and was impressed with his agility for a big and his maturity.

“Jalen probably moves his feet better than any big kid I’ve been around,’’ Brown told The New York Post (https://nypost.com/2022/06/12/larry-brown-jalen-duren-is-a-worth-nba-center-prospect/). “With so much switching in the NBA, he’s really capable of doing that. If he doesn’t play, he cheers for the team, doesn’t sulk.’’

Brown has seen a lot of comparisons between Duren to Miami Heat star Bam Adebayo, who is highly regarded for his overall defensive versatility and switching ability. Brown made it clear that Duren is '3 inches taller.'

“A lot of people compare him to Bam,’’ Brown said. “I spent time with Cal [Kentucky coach John Calipari] when Bam was there. Bam doesn’t shoot 3s either. Jalen is 3 inches taller than Bam.

Jalen is like when I was a head coach when he had a center and power forward in the NBA. I always teased him: I wanted him to be like [rugged former Pistons center] Ben Wallace, because he can run with anybody. He really can run. And can move his feet defensively.”

“If someone’s taking him to be starter on a playoff team, I don’t think it’s completely fair,’’ Brown said. “He’s 18. If you’re looking at a kid to develop and really be a factor, he’s the one you got to consider. Any 18, 19 year old kid they’re going to get may not help the team right away, but certainly he’ll have a chance to have a helluva career.”

“If you draft him, he’ll be like a lottery pick in two years,” Brown said. He’s young, long, athletic quick. He’s just got to grow and get better. He grew 2 inches when I was there. He’s that high-twitch athlete. So many NBA people have called me about him. A couple of years, you might have a diamond.’’

The Truth #6
06-12-2022, 01:47 PM
“If you draft him, he’ll be like a lottery pick in two years.” Unfortunately, we’re drafting in the lottery this year. Not to mention the Jackie Butler fiasco. I’m not convinced but still open.

Mr. Body
06-12-2022, 03:21 PM
That's a great find on Larry Brown on Duren.

I'm basically resigned to the Spurs picking a center with the 9. Either Mark Williams or Jalen Duren. The reasoning seems sound. The team has scads of guards and everyone in that range has question marks. There are PFs, a position of need, but they also have question marks and maybe the team has plans otherwise. A young backup to spell Poeltl as they figure out Jakob's future is good. Man, the team got killed on the boards by beefy teams like Minnesota.

That said...

It's sure bizarre to hear Brown speak out on Duren like this. On the one hand, nothing abnormal about it. Great that he seems to like the kid a lot. Sure is selling me, that's for sure. The question is who is he actually selling? I assume Brown is still close to the team. If the Spurs are targeting Duren, then why is he blabbing about how great he is? This suggests, if we're allowed to read the tea leaves, that the Spurs are NOT going in that direction... OR, to add intrigue, the Spurs are baiting someone? As mentioned, are they really indicating to later teams (Charlotte) that their centers may be off the board before they get a chance?

objective
06-12-2022, 03:39 PM
I don't think Brown is that close to the Spurs. He spent all year with Penny, not Pop. And the Spurs have absolutely had room on the bench each year that past few, I think if they wanted Brown they would have had him.

TD 21
06-12-2022, 03:45 PM
That's a great find on Larry Brown on Duren.

I'm basically resigned to the Spurs picking a center with the 9. Either Mark Williams or Jalen Duren. The reasoning seems sound. The team has scads of guards and everyone in that range has question marks. There are PFs, a position of need, but they also have question marks and maybe the team has plans otherwise. A young backup to spell Poeltl as they figure out Jakob's future is good. Man, the team got killed on the boards by beefy teams like Minnesota.

I don't know why people keep saying this. Walker IV, Richardson and Langford could be gone either this off season or at the very least the latter two are not in the long term plans, which leaves Murray, Vassell, Jones and Primo and none of the non PG's can create. Suffice it to say, I can't imagine that stopping them front drafting another guard/wing.

They already have that, his name is Collins. He can be the placeholder starter if they go center, but that player needs to be in the rotation immediately. I've said it ad nauseam, but Poeltl can be utilized to get a forward and/or another pick high enough to still get a decent perimeter prospect.

objective
06-12-2022, 03:48 PM
And Brown's comments are probably ridiculous.

Bam measured 6-8.75 barefoot, 6-9.75 shoes. There's no way Duren is a 7 footer, barefoot or with shoes. If he was he would have measured and blown everyone at the combine away and been the story.

Degoat
06-12-2022, 03:55 PM
I don't know why people keep saying this. Walker IV, Richardson and Langford could be gone either this off season or at the very least the latter two are not in the long term plans, which leaves Murray, Vassell, Jones and Primo and none of the non PG's can create. Suffice it to say, I can't imagine that stopping them front drafting another guard/wing.

They already have that, his name is Collins. He can be the placeholder starter if they go center, but that player needs to be in the rotation immediately. I've said it ad nauseam, but Poeltl can be utilized to get a forward and/or another pick high enough to still get a decent perimeter prospect.

Theres an argument to be made with any direction the spurs take tbh lol it’s fun to think about and speculate. We have 4 picks in the this draft so there’s lots of flexibility to address different needs.

Mr. Body
06-12-2022, 04:31 PM

Yeah, the team still has a ton of guards even jettisoning some of them.

And no, Zach Collins ain't the answer, bro. He's more of a PF tweener and can't handle the big boys down low.

Mr. Body
06-12-2022, 04:31 PM
I don't think Brown is that close to the Spurs. He spent all year with Penny, not Pop. And the Spurs have absolutely had room on the bench each year that past few, I think if they wanted Brown they would have had him.

Your logic doesn't make fucking sense.

TD 21
06-12-2022, 05:06 PM
Yeah, the team still has a ton of guards even jettisoning some of them.

And no, Zach Collins ain't the answer, bro. He's more of a PF tweener and can't handle the big boys down low.

Quantity, not quality. There's a clear need for another shot creator.

I said as a stopgap (big deal if they're on pace for closer to 30 than 35 wins if he starts for possibly as little as roughly half a season and plays 20 to 25 mpg) and he's clearly strictly a C.

Mr. Body
06-12-2022, 05:15 PM
Quantity, not quality. There's a clear need for another shot creator.

I said as a stopgap (big deal if they're on pace for closer to 30 than 35 wins if he starts for possibly as little as roughly half a season and plays 20 to 25 mpg) and he's clearly strictly a C.

Yeah no kidding they need a shot creator.

And you should tell the nba Collins is only a center since he played some PF in both Portland and last year.

Dejounte
06-12-2022, 05:23 PM
No, Zach did not play any meaningful minutes at PF last season - from a guy who watched pretty much every Spurs game last season. Whenever he was with Landale, Zach was the inside player both on offense (occasional 3 but not parked as often in the corners like Landale was) and defense. And he played almost no minutes with Poeltl except the few seconds he was about to be subbed out (or maybe there was ONE game where we were short forwards).

TD 21
06-12-2022, 05:32 PM
Yeah no kidding they need a shot creator.

And you should tell the nba Collins is only a center since he played some PF in both Portland and last year.

Yeah and the easiest positions to find them at are guard. So you (unwittingly) agree with me then.

No, he didn't. Landale played some nominal PF late last season in an effort to get more shooting and size on the floor sans McDermott. The game has changed too much (and he's lost some mobility) even from when he was last healthy as a Trail Blazer for him to masquerade as a PF.

duncan2150
06-12-2022, 05:46 PM
Still not sold on that Poetl Collins pair at C...

Mr. Body
06-12-2022, 06:11 PM
Yeah and the easiest positions to find them at are guard. So you (unwittingly) agree with me then.

No, he didn't. Landale played some nominal PF late last season in an effort to get more shooting and size on the floor sans McDermott. The game has changed too much (and he's lost some mobility) even from when he was last healthy as a Trail Blazer for him to masquerade as a PF.

Collins is closer to a PF than a C.

The Truth #6
06-12-2022, 06:22 PM

Should be I suppose, but players on the Spurs seem to play one position up all the time.

Speaking generally now, and not to Mr. B. Even if Larry Brown is being sincere, I'm not sure I trust him. He was horribly wrong about Jackie Butler being the next Moses Malone or whatever lofty hopes we had for him. And Brown's quote, "If you draft him, he'll be like a lottery pick in two years." That's worse logic than drafting Primo. The assumption was that Primo was going to be a lottery pick the next year, not two years. Though perhaps I'm misreading Brown here.

R. DeMurre
06-12-2022, 06:27 PM
And Brown's comments are probably ridiculous.

Bam measured 6-8.75 barefoot, 6-9.75 shoes. There's no way Duren is a 7 footer, barefoot or with shoes. If he was he would have measured and blown everyone at the combine away and been the story.

Also, I hate to be the skeptic here, but coaches/coaching staff don't give fully honest assessments of players to the public... if they did, future prospects probably wouldn't join them further on down the road. Just go back and look at the things Coach K said about players like Jahlil Okafor and Marvin Bagley. Coaches are always the biggest cheerleaders for their guys and aren't going to point out shortcomings to an audience of folks looking for red flags or deficiencies that could potentially make guys go later in the draft, costing them millions of dollars.

exstatic
06-12-2022, 10:01 PM
The last time we listened to Larry Brown on a center, we ended up having to use Scola to salary dump him.

Mr. Body
06-12-2022, 10:13 PM
The last time we listened to Larry Brown on a center, we ended up having to use Scola to salary dump him.

Jalen Duren a bust confirmed!

TD 21
06-12-2022, 11:06 PM

:rollin

Mr. Body
06-12-2022, 11:58 PM
:rollin

Even the Spurs' official site lists Collins as a forward and a center, you gaping anus.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/grid