PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mock Draft 1.0: Picking at 9, 20, 25 and 38 for the Spurs

Pages : [1] 2 3

timvp
05-17-2022, 11:32 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/mock-draft-1-0-who-will-the-spurs-draft-in-the-2022-nba-draft/

I'd be pleased if this is how the draft plays out for the Spurs. I probably prefer a higher upside player at 20 but getting a likely starter at that selection is difficult to pass up.

DPG21920
05-17-2022, 11:39 PM
Dude, if Sochan falls, SA needs to move up to get him. I would much rather SA give up 25 and 20 to move up to 13-16 to get him and land Mathurin and Sochan (or something like that).

Chinook
05-17-2022, 11:42 PM
No shade, since who knows what the Spurs would want to do, but I'd hate that draft a lot. Obviously I'd hope to be wrong and root for the guys in the SL and onward, but I don't like a single player on that list.

DPG21920
05-17-2022, 11:45 PM
timvp - how likely do you think CHA is to trade a pick? They have 2 and need to make a leap forward. Use one pick to keep building and use other to land a more win now player?

Would they entertain Jak + 25 for 13 + salaries to match? Or 13 + 15 + Hayward for Jak + Richardson + 20 + 25? Clears off 30M in Hayward a year early for them, gets them two good players and still 2 firsts?

Thoughts?

offset formation
05-17-2022, 11:45 PM
Dont understand the summary on Houston at #3 with Paolo. Seems like youre saying hes a guard and not a PF.

Either way, Paolo or Smith to Houston make them a potentially scary lineup in a couple more years.

ducks
05-17-2022, 11:51 PM
Trade 9 25 38 for number One pick

PhantomDashCam
05-17-2022, 11:51 PM
Interesting. It would be tough to hate on this as a draft...that is until realization sets in that this team hasn't had a high end talent to play the '4' in several years.

I think that pick at 9 has to be between Murray (via trade), Dieng or Sochan, barring something mysterious in the works. We need to heed the cries of Memphis and "don't duck that smoke." :lol

timvp
05-17-2022, 11:57 PM
timvp - how likely do you think CHA is to trade a pick? They have 2 and need to make a leap forward. Use one pick to keep building and use other to land a more win now player?

Would they entertain Jak + 25 for 13 + salaries to match? Or 13 + 15 + Hayward for Jak + Richardson + 20 + 25? Clears off 30M in Hayward a year early for them, gets them two good players and still 2 firsts?

Thoughts?

The Spurs have been asking for a ton in return for Poeltl. My guess is that the Spurs will be much more willing to trade him at the trade deadline than at the draft. Doing a trade during the draft involving Poeltl is doable but it'd be difficult to get all those moving parts in order.

timvp
05-17-2022, 11:59 PM
Dont understand the summary on Houston at #3 with Paolo. Seems like youre saying hes a guard and not a PF.

In halfcourt settings, Paolo is basically a point power forward or even a point center. He could play that role in Houston because Jalen Green is strictly a scorer right now and Kevin Porter Jr. is far from being a pure point guard.

DPG21920
05-17-2022, 11:59 PM
Interesting. It would be tough to hate on this as a draft...that is until realization sets in that this team hasn't had a high end talent to play the '4' in several years.

I think that pick at 9 has to be between Murray (via trade), Dieng or Sochan, barring something mysterious in the works. We need to heed the cries of Memphis and "don't duck that smoke." :lol

Spurs have so much dead weight (KBD, Jock, Doug, Collins, Langford…) so cycling those guys out with higher end lottery picks? Would be a talent upgrade all while getting younger and more on the timeline….It will be important for SA to get another lottery pick IMO if they can for that exact reason. Upgrade both main roster and lower end of roster with way more upside.

Then land talent (like Lavine) via FA/Trade with their cap space if it presents itself.

Chinook
05-18-2022, 12:00 AM
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) - how likely do you think CHA is to trade a pick? They have 2 and need to make a leap forward. Use one pick to keep building and use other to land a more win now player?

Thoughts?

I'd have no interest in trading up using Poeltl unless the Spurs are getting an elite talent. I really wouldn't want them to encumber their cap with Hayward unless they see him as a starter. I think trading Poeltl goes against the thesis of this mock. It feels very much like a "fill out the roster" draft, and that could be worse. I don't love either Williams, nor do I think the Spurs need to stash any of their picks, but I can see them. The Mathurin pick would probably upset me, but we've been hearing about the Spurs' interest in him for a while now. But the only way this draft could make sense is if the Spurs are going to use cap space and other assets to swing big trades. They aren't drafting starters that fit with Murray in this mock. They're picking guys who might develop into above-average players over time. That's depth on a good team and disappointment on a rebuilding team. I don't think the Spurs can afford to sell their win-now pieces AND cap space so cheaply.

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 12:00 AM
The Spurs have been asking for a ton in return for Poeltl. My guess is that the Spurs will be much more willing to trade him at the trade deadline than at the draft. Doing a trade during the draft involving Poeltl is doable but it'd be difficult to get all those moving parts in order.

Would you do Jak + 20 for 13 + 15 + Plumlee?

ragas
05-18-2022, 12:02 AM
Once again trying hard to trade Jak :nope

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 12:05 AM
I'd have no interest in trading up using Poeltl unless the Spurs are getting an elite talent. I really wouldn't want them to encumber their cap with Hayward unless they see him as a starter. I think trading Poeltl goes against the thesis of this mock. It feels very much like a "fill out the roster" draft, and that could be worse. I don't love either Williams, nor do I think the Spurs need to stash any of their picks, but I can see them. The Mathurin pick would probably upset me, but we've been hearing about the Spurs' interest in him for a while now. But the only way this draft could make sense is if the Spurs are going to use cap space and other assets to swing big trades. They aren't drafting starters that fit with Murray in this mock. They're picking guys who might develop into above-average players over time. That's depth on a good team and disappointment on a rebuilding team. I don't think the Spurs can afford to sell their win-now pieces AND cap space so cheaply.

I see what you’re saying but it would still leave SA with a lot of cap space this year and then get them much upgraded youthful talent vs all the deadweight at bottom of roster. Maybe add Collins in there and its basically a net wash cap wise and SA gets the picks and can still use that space this year. It’s likely going to be reduced next year anyways so its kind of a use it or lose scenario coming up anyways.

So Zach + Richardson + Jak + 20 for Hayward + 13 + 15. SA gets 9, 13 and 15 to “replace/upgrade” KBD, Richardson & Jak and still maintains all their cap space too (Something like that is my mindset)

timvp
05-18-2022, 12:10 AM

Four first round picks this year? Eh, no thanks.

If it's me, I probably try to trade 20 for two future firsts and 25 for one future first. If you can't make such a trade, then take a swing on a high upside player. I like 38 -- but you'd probably have to go draft-and-stash if you're using all three firsts.

Best case scenario is something like 9, 20 and 25 for 4 ... but not even the Kings would do that, I don't think.

offset formation
05-18-2022, 12:14 AM
In halfcourt settings, Paolo is basically a point power forward or even a point center. He could play that role in Houston because Jalen Green is strictly a scorer right now and Kevin Porter Jr. is far from being a pure point guard.

Sure. He could do that but then you'd have a situation where there are too many cooks in the kitchen and not enough bowls to go around. Jalen and KPJ were cooking at the end of this year, though with high usage rates. Now add in a Banchero while also keeping a C Wood happy, and youve got a crowded house.

He'd be better suited off ball, imo, with the current roster construction, unless he can be a more active, more efficient version of Ben Simmons.

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 12:16 AM

If it's me, I probably try to trade 20 for two future firsts and 25 for one future first. If you can't make such a trade, then take a swing on a high upside player. I like 38 -- but you'd probably have to go draft-and-stash if you're using all three firsts.

Best case scenario is something like 9, 20 and 25 for 4 ... but not even the Kings would do that, I don't think.

Wow - really? I like Jak, but that seems like a lot of value for him. With cap space and 3 near lottery picks its still a situation even with reduced upside draft to add talent, cycle out the bottom of the team which needs more youth/upside and does not hurt cap space in a meaningful way. You can still trade 25 for a future first too so its not like that scenario changes by doing this other deal….

Not to mention, that if you can get 13 and 15 for Jak and 20, then getting to pick 4 becomes WAY more likely: 9, 13 and 15 for 4 is way more attractive than 9, 20 and 25 for 4.

I would have no issues trading 9, 20 and Jak for Pick 4 (which is what this functionally is and you still get pick 25 in this scenario)

timvp
05-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Wow - really? I like Jak, but that seems like a lot of value for him. With cap space and 3 near lottery picks its still a situation even with reduced upside draft to add talent, cycle out the bottom of the team which needs more youth/upside and does not hurt cap space in a meaningful way. You can still trade 25 for a future first too so its not like that scenario changes by doing this other deal….

Not to mention, that if you can get 13 and 15 for Jak and 20, then getting to pick 4 becomes WAY more likely: 9, 13 and 15 for 4 is way more attractive than 9, 20 and 25 for 4.

I would have no issues trading 9, 20 and Jak for Pick 4 (which is what this functionally is and you still get pick 25 in this scenario)

Bro, that is so many moving parts I need to take notes to keep up. The Spurs just recently figured you're allowed to trade players for future assets before their contracts expire. :lol It'd be asking a lot to do some multi-pronged trade during the middle of a draft that's unlike any trade they've ever made in their history.

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 12:23 AM
Bro, that is so many moving parts I need to take notes to keep up. The Spurs just recently figured you're allowed to trade players for future assets before their contracts expire. :lol It'd be asking a lot to do some multi-pronged trade during the middle of a draft that's unlike any trade they've ever made in their history.

:lol I know man - I am just saying there are paths to get aggressive and creative. I know from an expectations perspective its a lot to do and moving parts, but the framework is there and broken down seems like its something that can be done (not exactly obviously but the general concept)

But yeah, I have zero expectations of this lmao

offset formation

Id rather keep 9, and get their 4 this year, for 20, 25, next year's 1st, and Jakob. Seems like a win for all parties

Chinook
I see what you’re saying but it would still leave SA with a lot of cap space this year and then get them much upgraded youthful talent vs all the deadweight at bottom of roster. Maybe add Collins in there and its basically a net wash cap wise and SA gets the picks and can still use that space this year. It’s likely going to be reduced next year anyways so its kind of a use it or lose scenario coming up anyways.

So Zach + Richardson + Jak + 20 for Hayward + 13 + 15. SA gets 9, 13 and 15 to “replace/upgrade” KBD, Richardson & Jak and still maintains all their cap space too (Something like that is my mindset)

What would the depth chart look like after that?

Murray, Jones
Vassell, Primo, Langford
Hayward, McDermott
Johnson, KBD
Landale

With Walker, Wieskamp, Cacok, Woodard and Stewart as RFAs and the picks. I'm going to assume that 9 is Mathurin and 13 or 15 is Williams while the other goes out for John Collins as you mentioned. I'm also going to assume that at least one of 25 or 38 goes out in the deal. I guess we can use the other for a stash to get it out of the way.

Murray, Jones
Vassell, Mathurin, Langford
Johnson, Primo, McDermott
Collins, Hayward, KBD
Williams, Landale,

I think that's very arguably a weaker roster than the Spurs currently have despite adding in two lotto picks and a borderline All-Star. Maybe that comes together -- if Mathurin is a star in the making, there's talent on the roster. But it's SOO much harder without Poeltl, and the Spurs gave up their roster flexibility in the Hayward deal. I would far prefer the Spurs to just take the players in front of them or to move up in the post-lottery without involving their rotation players. Then during the off-season, they can go in with both a reasonable path toward a max slot AND a number of expirings or otherwise moveable contracts. They put way more pressure on themselves if they start combining the draft, trades and free agency this year.

Mr. Body
05-18-2022, 12:28 AM
There's gonna be a ton of movement now that teams know where they are and are looking closely at prospects. I like how you managed to find (manipulate) a way to get the Spurs a great haul, considering. Right now I have about four players I hope for at the #9 and one is Mathurin. God, I hope any rumors the Spurs might take Mark Williams at that pick are untrue. That would be a disaster.

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 12:30 AM
What would the depth chart look like after that?

Murray, Jones
Vassell, Primo, Langford
Hayward, McDermott
Johnson, KBD
Landale

With Walker, Wieskamp, Cacok, Woodard and Stewart as RFAs and the picks. I'm going to assume that 9 is Mathurin and 13 or 15 is Williams while the other goes out for John Collins as you mentioned. I'm also going to assume that at least one of 25 or 38 goes out in the deal. I guess we can use the other for a stash to get it out of the way.

Murray, Jones
Vassell, Mathurin, Langford
Johnson, Primo, McDermott
Collins, Hayward, KBD
Williams, Landale,

I think that's very arguably a weaker roster than the Spurs currently have despite adding in two lotto picks and a borderline All-Star. Maybe that comes together -- if Mathurin is a star in the making, there's talent on the roster. But it's SOO much harder without Poeltl, and the Spurs gave up their roster flexibility in the Hayward deal. I would far prefer the Spurs to just take the players in front of them or to move up in the post-lottery without involving their rotation players. Then during the off-season, they can go in with both a reasonable path toward a max slot AND a number of expirings or otherwise moveable contracts. They put way more pressure on themselves if they start combining the draft, trades and free agency this year.

I think theres way more upside than previous roster + cushion to move the other direction if things dont work out. But functionally swapping Jakob/Richardon/Collins with John Collins/2 lottery picks seems like a no brainer risk/reward move to me and there would still be potential for sign and trade of Lavine in there too..

But end of the day, I would at a minimum want SA to do what you said; use what they have (20, 25 and lesser player like Richardson) to move up into another lottery pick area.

rankingtear
05-18-2022, 12:45 AM
Mathurin makes too much sense for our playstyle even more so at 220. Mark Williams, I don't see it unless there is untapped playmaking there, the value there is not paying Jakob his next contract.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 12:47 AM
Not bad. Although if Wendell Moore is available at 38, I’m running that card up to the podium and not thinking twice about it tbh.

I don’t see Mark Williams lasting til 20 either. I think Charlotte at 13 or 15 if they don’t get Duren or Chicago at 18 or another team in need of defense will nab him before then.

Chinook
05-18-2022, 12:52 AM
I think theres way more upside than previous roster + cushion to move the other direction if things dont work out. But functionally swapping Jakob/Richardon/Collins with John Collins/2 lottery picks seems like a no brainer risk/reward move to me and there would still be potential for sign and trade of Lavine in there too..

It's not Jakob/Richard/Collins. It's Jakob/Richardson/Collins/lotto pick/two non-lotto firsts for Collins/two lotto picks/Hayward. Since we have no idea what the Hawks would take for Collins, we don't know if this trade helps them get him. From my perspective, Poeltl/Collins is way more desirable than Hayward/Collins. If they can get Collins in a deal that doesn't involve Murray, Poeltl or the ninth pick and that doesn't break the back in terms of the other pieces, I'm game. That's three starters locked down. Assuming at least one of Vassell/Johnson survive the trade, that's another spot if not two locked down. Use the near-max slot to bring in a scoring guard, and use the remaining picks on PG and C depth, and I think you have something with way more upside. In a roster like,

Murray, Jones
Lavine, Primo
Johnson, Vassell
Collins, KBD
Poeltl, Landale

I'd love drafting a guy like Mark Williams, and I could even get behind drafting a scoring guard like Mathurin. But once you start punching holes in that rotation, it becomes much easier to see how it would fall apart. There are a number of bad defenders in that rotation. Collins is coming off an injury and probably shouldn't play more than change-up minutes at the five. Their bench is still mostly meh given that the Spurs may well end up stashing whomever they pick at 9. Switching Johnson and Vassell might address a number of those problems, but I don't think that's realistic. The team would need find a starting-caliber center to spell Williams -- assuming they draft him. If guys like Jakob were that common, the Spurs wouldn't be able to get this trade with Charlotte in the first place. That could make defensive issues worse. It could also exacerbate Collins' injury issue. They can't even re-sign Drew Eubanks to fix their problem. Maybe the Spurs have a sizeable chunk of space left over and decide to try to get Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba someone like that to sign on. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But wouldn't bet on it.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 12:52 AM
Oh, and Mark Williams at 9 would fucking suck tbh.

Chinook
05-18-2022, 12:54 AM
Not bad. Although if Wendell Moore is available at 38, I’m running that card up to the podium and not thinking twice about it tbh.

I don’t see Mark Williams lasting til 20 either. I think Charlotte at 13 or 15 if they don’t get Duren or Chicago at 18 or another team in need of defense will nab him before then.

Those are both teams that wanted to trade for Poeltl. I don't know that the Spurs would want to trade Poeltl for those picks straight up (they don't need a fifth pick), but I also don't think either team would (or even could in Chicago's case) offer a future first to balance out the Spurs sending 25.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 01:06 AM
The more I think about it, the more I believe the Spurs are going to try and trade 20 & 25 to move up into the teens. There’s gonna be someone there at like 15 or 16 that they want like Eason or Williams and they’re going to try and pull the trigger. Just a hunch.

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 01:11 AM
It's not Jakob/Richard/Collins. It's Jakob/Richardson/Collins/lotto pick/two non-lotto firsts for Collins/two lotto picks/Hayward. Since we have no idea what the Hawks would take for Collins, we don't know if this trade helps them get him. From my perspective, Poeltl/Collins is way more desirable than Hayward/Collins. If they can get Collins in a deal that doesn't involve Murray, Poeltl or the ninth pick and that doesn't break the back in terms of the other pieces, I'm game. That's three starters locked down. Assuming at least one of Vassell/Johnson survive the trade, that's another spot if not two locked down. Use the near-max slot to bring in a scoring guard, and use the remaining picks on PG and C depth, and I think you have something with way more upside. In a roster like,

Murray, Jones
Lavine, Primo
Johnson, Vassell
Collins, KBD
Poeltl, Landale

I'd love drafting a guy like Mark Williams, and I could even get behind drafting a scoring guard like Mathurin. But once you start punching holes in that rotation, it becomes much easier to see how it would fall apart. There are a number of bad defenders in that rotation. Collins is coming off an injury and probably shouldn't play more than change-up minutes at the five. Their bench is still mostly meh given that the Spurs may well end up stashing whomever they pick at 9. Switching Johnson and Vassell might address a number of those problems, but I don't think that's realistic. The team would need find a starting-caliber center to spell Williams -- assuming they draft him. If guys like Jakob were that common, the Spurs wouldn't be able to get this trade with Charlotte in the first place. That could make defensive issues worse. It could also exacerbate Collins' injury issue. They can't even re-sign Drew Eubanks to fix their problem. Maybe the Spurs have a sizeable chunk of space left over and decide to try to get Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba someone like that to sign on. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But wouldn't bet on it.

Fair enough - I think the mental exercise for me was looking at all the different paths Sa can go. I think they need to keep pedal down and up the creativity. Look to find value where you can and maximize ROI on assets that aren’t really needle movers for teams like SA and that dont fit timeline.

And I am not dying to trade Jak either so dont want it to come off like that; my pref would be using 20/25/Doug/Richardson to get assets/move up and keep Jak while adding two lottery role players (helps win now a little and helps future) while using cap space and future picks to land someone to add to DJ/Keldon/Jak/Vassell

timvp
05-18-2022, 01:18 AM
Right now I have about four players I hope for at the #9 and one is Mathurin. God, I hope any rumors the Spurs might take Mark Williams at that pick are untrue. That would be a disaster.

Yeah, I'd hate Mark Williams at 9. Please no.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 01:33 AM
It's definitely not unreasonable, under the assumptions made. It'd SHOCK me if Duren falls to Charlotte, I'm 95% confident they'll end up taking Mark Williams (though I'm hoping they use the pick to trade for Poeltl/Richardson). But if the Spurs find Williams available at 20, yes, he's hard to pass up. He's a quality center for many years, and he allows you to move Poeltl without pain.
I'm hoping for any one of Daniels, Sochan or Mathurin at 9 (Daniels for potential, Sochan for fit). I'd like to explore the possibility of trading with Charlotte to get 13 & 15 (maybe 9 + 25, or some combination of Poeltl, Richardson & a later pick) and grab 1 of them or Johnny Davis (one is bound to fall) + Tari Eason.
At 20/25 I'd like two of: Dieng, Jovic, Baldwin Jr, Wesley, Hardy, Branham.
Only request is, ONLY PICK GUARD IF TALENT GAP IS SIGNIFICANT. At some point you have to stop stockpiling the same kind of player, and if you keep adding Primos, one day you'll pass on a truly better prospect because of that.
That's about it.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 01:38 AM
Just for shits and gigs. Duren won’t be a Spur though. Of that much I am confident.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTBOmnXWUAElPJ3?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTBOmnYWAAEy6Z2?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTBOmnYWQAAvazG?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTBOmnaWIAARhKM?format=jpg&name=large

Ariel
05-18-2022, 01:40 AM
That's crazy. From an asset perspective, it'd be INSANE VALUE to get two (almost) lottery picks for Poeltl. You are not forced to use them all, if such a deal were available you simply shop the picks and keep the 3 you like the most (considering player value vs potential return). But that's a moot point because not even the Kings would be that stupid (to offer us that much).

Marco
05-18-2022, 02:36 AM
Please just do not select AJ Griffin, (most overrated player in the draft) and we should be fine.

timvp
05-18-2022, 02:41 AM
That's crazy. From an asset perspective, it'd be INSANE VALUE to get two (almost) lottery picks for Poeltl. You are not forced to use them all, if such a deal were available you simply shop the picks and keep the 3 you like the most (considering player value vs potential return). But that's a moot point because not even the Kings would be that stupid (to offer us that much).

Well, that's not two lottery picks. That's the 13th pick and moving up five spots. And now we can start putting real names into the equation to be more precise.

You do that trade and chances are the resulting swap is something like Poeltl and Wesley for Mark Williams and Branham. That's .............. not exactly an exciting proposition.

I don't love the idea of re-signing Poeltl to a huge deal but if the Spurs trade him, I'd want something more -- or at least assets that can be bundled together at some point in the future. This draft is pretty flat from like 12 to 28 so I don't value 13 and 15 a lot more than I value 20 and 25, for example. To be specific, even if Sochan slips to 13 (which is probably unlikely), picking him there isn't a whole lot more valuable than picking between players like Baldwin, Hardy, Jovic, Wesley, etc. at 20.

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 03:04 AM
Well, that's not two lottery picks. That's the 13th pick and moving up five spots. And now we can start putting real names into the equation to be more precise.

You do that trade and chances are the resulting swap is something like Poeltl and Wesley for Mark Williams and Branham. That's .............. not exactly an exciting proposition.

I don't love the idea of re-signing Poeltl to a huge deal but if the Spurs trade him, I'd want something more -- or at least assets that can be bundled together at some point in the future. This draft is pretty flat from like 12 to 28 so I don't value 13 and 15 a lot more than I value 20 and 25, for example. To be specific, even if Sochan slips to 13 (which is probably unlikely), picking him there isn't a whole lot more valuable than picking between players like Baldwin, Hardy, Jovic, Wesley, etc. at 20.

I guess how I look at it is, SA should do that trade before the draft. Secure picks 13 and 15 going into draft so they have 9, 13 and 15. So what they (as I said before) are doing is getting a shot at Poeltl for Ivey and if that does not work, worst case is getting Poeltl and Wesley for Sochan & Duren. That is still a solid deal IMO - but obviously a bit of a gamble. But SA should be taking calculated gambles especially ones that have limited downsides like losing a Center that you don’t likely want to pay anyways…

Then on top of that, SA still having the cap space to replace Jakob or add an all star like Lavine (or both).

And if teams see it as flat as you do, then SA should totally be willing to use 20+25 to get another lottery pick and walk away with likely 2 of the top 10 players in the draft to keep adding talent/youth as we recycle through the dead weight on the team

(Obviously this is predicated on who SA wants - I am just talking value/opportunity in the event they really like 2 guys and one wont be there pick 20)

Ariel
05-18-2022, 03:40 AM

I'm not sure we can get that much more for Poeltl, unless we sign him to a long term, team friendly deal... unlikely IMO. And a S&T won't get us more than that. But if Williams & Branham is the best we can do at 13 & 15 and Wesley or Jovic could be had for sure at 20, then yes, I'd agree.
However, I think 9, 13 and 15 would give us a REAL chance at drafting BOTH a high upside wing/2 guard AND a versatile forward, plus a taking swing with the other pick.
Say Sochan at 9, Johnny Davis at 13 and Tari Eason (or Blake Wesley, or Branham, or Dieng) at 15
Or Daniels/Mathurin at 9, Sochan/Eason at 13, and Dieng/Wesley/Branham at 15
I think guaranteeing yourself one of Sochan or Eason is more valuable than the others mentioned, even if just for fit, plus you up your talent level and leverage an extra pick.

But there's a lot of buts and ifs, you could argue either way I guess.

Robz4000
05-18-2022, 03:44 AM
We all know the Spurs are gonna draft two undersized guards at 9/20 and whatever foreign players remaining with the hardest to pronounce names at 25/28 and stash them forever tbh. Question is will they bring back Fathead at 3/$100mil or 4/$130mil to start at PF?

KingKev
05-18-2022, 03:50 AM
^ just jump

Robz4000
05-18-2022, 04:30 AM
^ just jump

Yeah, I made a mistake. What else is new? All the Spurs haters are ing tonight. I just took a xanax so I'm kind of mellowing down. And I've recently started to reconsider suicide. And before you me out or call me a pussy, this has nothing to do with the draft lottery. I'm miserable right now in my life and I'm starting to come to a breaking point. I'm stuck at a dead end job with ty pay and I get treated like a piece of too there. No respect at all. I am a hopeless piece of and prick. I wasted 5 and a half years in college in the hopes of possibly getting a good paying job or at least a decent paying job. I've been stuck in retail for almost 3 years making a whopping 15K a year. How am I ever going to be happy making ty money like that? Sorry for the rant, I think it's the xanax kicking in.

KingKev
05-18-2022, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I made a mistake. What else is new? All the Spurs haters are ing tonight. I just took a xanax so I'm kind of mellowing down. And I've recently started to reconsider suicide. And before you me out or call me a pussy, this has nothing to do with the draft lottery. I'm miserable right now in my life and I'm starting to come to a breaking point. I'm stuck at a dead end job with ty pay and I get treated like a piece of too there. No respect at all. I am a hopeless piece of and prick. I wasted 5 and a half years in college in the hopes of possibly getting a good paying job or at least a decent paying job. I've been stuck in retail for almost 3 years making a whopping 15K a year. How am I ever going to be happy making ty money like that? Sorry for the rant, I thinknit's the xanax kicking in.

Rob check your DM man. Believe me i’ve been there.

Edit: Rob just clowning me but lord knows I know what career failure can do to you!

heyheymymy
05-18-2022, 05:32 AM
vibes Rob everything's gonna be alright

rascal
05-18-2022, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I made a mistake. What else is new? All the Spurs haters are ing tonight. I just took a xanax so I'm kind of mellowing down. And I've recently started to reconsider suicide. And before you me out or call me a pussy, this has nothing to do with the draft lottery. I'm miserable right now in my life and I'm starting to come to a breaking point. I'm stuck at a dead end job with ty pay and I get treated like a piece of too there. No respect at all. I am a hopeless piece of and prick. I wasted 5 and a half years in college in the hopes of possibly getting a good paying job or at least a decent paying job. I've been stuck in retail for almost 3 years making a whopping 15K a year. How am I ever going to be happy making ty money like that? Sorry for the rant, I think it's the xanax kicking in.

You're still young I expect so still have time to turn things around.

Dejounte
05-18-2022, 06:33 AM
9 Dyson
20 Wesley
25 PBJ
38 Kamagate

Brazil
05-18-2022, 07:04 AM
Trade 9 25 38 for number One pick

:lol

offset formation
05-18-2022, 07:05 AM

Hang in there bruv. Go back to the small stuff. Getting oxygen in your blood and brain -- even deep breathing or walking -- can do wonders and put meaningless shit into perspective. Look into Transcendental Meditation. One day at a time. Find a job that doesnt make you hate it and yourself even if the pay isn’tfantastic. That'll give you time to re-orient yourself.

Strategic
05-18-2022, 08:00 AM
I think the Spurs need a star( didn’t say super star) and a starter/rotation player out of this draft/off season. I also think they have the draft picks, plus the moveable pieces, to get it done. Hoping the FO doesn’t just draft some dudes. We’ll see…..

RD2191
05-18-2022, 08:14 AM
look on the bright side, at least you're not that bum koriwhat

mo7888
05-18-2022, 08:15 AM

I think the Kings will entertain offers for #4 but, I don't think they'll be looking for draft picks. I think they want a player to put next to Fox. We probably won't be bidding for their pick but if we did I assume it would take DJ to get #4. I do believe there are scenarios that make sense for is to do that but it's a slower rebuild.

If they don't get offers they like from other teams I might offer them something like 9 + KJ + 25 and see if they bite...

XDT76
05-18-2022, 08:23 AM
We have 4 picks and yet we think that we should not draft a single PF, but keep filling it up with C with no outside game and 6'6 decent players.

Seventyniner
05-18-2022, 08:48 AM
9: Tony Parker
20: Manu Ginobili
25: Half of David Robinson
38: ???

widowmaker
05-18-2022, 08:58 AM
Bennedict Mathurin looks like lonnie walker 2.0. PASS I hope the Spurs are looking for PFs that can fill that need

Bellboy
05-18-2022, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=Seventyniner;10738279]9: Tony Parker
38: ???[/QUOTE

:pop:If we don’t take Walter Berry at #38 the whole Front Office should be fired.

baseline bum
05-18-2022, 09:04 AM

I know what you mean Robz. I couldn't get a job, nappy hair was not allowed. My mother couldn't afford us all so she had to throw me out. I threw them in braids because I wasn't paid enough. I kept them long because I couldn't even afford a haircut. I got laughed at, I got jumped, and I got dissed. I got upset then I got a Tec and a banana clip. Living in the slums with bums, I said, now why do I have to be like this? Mama said I'm priceless. So why am I worthless? Starving is just what being nice gets. Sometimes I wish I could afford a pistol though, to stop this hell I would've ended things a while ago.

Degoat
05-18-2022, 09:20 AM
I’d be thrilled with that draft, getting Mathurin and Williams would be steal! I’ve been saying this for awhile now while I want a big 4 the spurs may view Keldon and Doug McDermott as there 4s

KingKev
05-18-2022, 09:20 AM
9: Tony Parker
38: ???

with 38: Half of Danny Green or 4x Oberto

Strategic
05-18-2022, 09:27 AM
When is the cut off date for college players to declare, for certain, they are entering the draft and are there any sleepers in this group that aren’t included in the top tier of prospects?

duncan2150
05-18-2022, 09:40 AM
I prefer Davis to Mathurin actually if we for a guard/wing, Williams will be a very good pick at 20 but imo he'll not pass charlotte's picks 13 and 15.

Mugen
05-18-2022, 09:40 AM

Seventyniner
05-18-2022, 09:43 AM
with 38: Half of Danny Green or 4x Oberto

Half of Danny Green = 2 or 7
4x Oberto = 28

I was thinking more along the lines of a combination of Tim Duncan and Brent Barry, but we'll probably end up with Antonio Daniels + Ron Mercer instead.

DesignatedT
05-18-2022, 09:45 AM
Would like a deal centered around 9 and 20 for 5 or 6 and take Keegan Murray. Then draft Kendall Brown at 25.

KingKev
05-18-2022, 09:54 AM
Half of Danny Green = 2 or 7
4x Oberto = 28

I was thinking more along the lines of a combination of Tim Duncan and Brent Barry, but we'll probably end up with Antonio Daniels + Ron Mercer instead.

Lol I had that terribly wrong. Ron Mercer is up there with guys like Samaki Walker, Charles Smith, Hedo, RJ, in terms of let downs. AD played a part in 99’ and made sense if you forget that we drafted and traded the DR version of MJ (Felipe Lopez) for him when we could have taken Rashard Lewis, Kobe Killer Ruben Patterson or Al Harrington in the same draft.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 09:57 AM
Williams will be a very good pick at 20 but imo he'll not pass charlotte's picks 13 and 15.
True... unless Duren falls to Charlotte (very unlikely), in which case Cleveland and Atlanta might pass on him, but I don't think he'll make it past Houston, Chicago or Minnesota... very slim chance he'll drop to 20 either way.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 10:01 AM
I prefer Davis to Mathurin actually if we for a guard/wing,
He's getting surprisingly very little attention, and he's a guy who can actually carry a big offensive load, who's skilled, competitive, can create his own shot and make it, defends and rebounds. All he's missing is a little range, and some f*cking help. I won't be disappointed if he's our pick, provided we land that big forward somehow (Sochan or Eason).

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Seventyniner;10738279]9: Tony Parker
38: ???[/QUOTE

:pop:If we don’t take Walter Berry at #38 the whole Front Office should be fired.

That's the Truth!

spurraider21
05-18-2022, 10:27 AM
If only nba teams had a staff on full time to navigate such complexities

R. DeMurre
05-18-2022, 10:52 AM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1526952505049063425?s=20&t=3RXI4U1pw5XE6OzwlBDjWw

Duke's Mark Williams official measurements from the NBA Combine: 7'2 in shoes, 7'6.5 wingspan, 9'9 standing reach.

TD 21
05-18-2022, 10:54 AM
Mathurin and Williams is probably a best case scenario. With their luck, despite generally being projected to be, the former won't be available at 9 (though they should have the assets to trade up for him) and the latter almost certainly won't be available at 20.

If the Hornets were willing to do Washington Jr. and Jones for Poeltl, then I'm sure they'd be willing to substitute probably 15 in Jones' stead, but if the Spurs weren't willing to do the former, they'd have to be really high on Williams to do the latter.

R. DeMurre
05-18-2022, 11:03 AM
David Roddy measured out at 6'6" in shoes with a 6'11.5" wingspan. That's going to help him a lot. He's an interesting pick: probably a defensive liability in some spots, more solid in situations where there's less space, a great shooter.... could he be a beefier version of Desmond Bane?

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 11:06 AM
No shade, since who knows what the Spurs would want to do, but I'd hate that draft a lot. Obviously I'd hope to be wrong and root for the guys in the SL and onward, but I don't like a single player on that list.

Interesting. Who are your realistic preferences?

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 11:07 AM
David Roddy measured out at 6'6" in shoes with a 6'11.5" wingspan. That's going to help him a lot. He's an interesting pick: probably a defensive liability in some spots, more solid in situations where there's less space, a great shooter.... could he be a beefier version of Desmond Bane?

I'm getting up to speed on him. Sort of like a fat Keldon Johnson?

JuneJive
05-18-2022, 11:14 AM
Arizona's Bennedict Mathurin official measurements from the NBA Combine: 6'6 in shoes, 6'9 wingspan, 8'8 standing reach, 204.6 lbs with 5.7% body fat.

G League Ignite guard Dyson Daniels official measurements at the NBA Combine: 6'7.5 in shoes, 6'10.5 wingspan, 8'9 standing reach, 195 pounds, 4.9% body fat.

Duke's Mark Williams official measurements from the NBA Combine: 7'2 in shoes, 7'6.5 wingspan, 9'9 standing reach, 242.4 lbs with 5.4% body fat.

R. DeMurre
05-18-2022, 11:14 AM
I'm getting up to speed on him. Sort of like a fat Keldon Johnson?

:lol He did measure at 11.6% body fat, which was one of the highest in the combine. He looks more like a fullback than a basketball player, but his shooting percentages are pretty impressive: 43.8 3pt% and 62 2pt%.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 11:17 AM
Take a good inch and a half (especially for those close or below ideal height for their position) and you have real height.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 11:20 AM
Chet Holmgreen: 2% fat, 98% bones.

R. DeMurre
05-18-2022, 11:21 AM
Mark Williams' 9'9" standing reach is pretty crazy. For comparison, Poeltl's is 9'3.5", and Jarrett Allen's is 9'1.5".

Dverde
05-18-2022, 11:31 AM
I wonder if #9 and #20 enough for Portland to trade us #7?

exstatic
05-18-2022, 11:34 AM
Take a good inch and a half (especially for those close or below ideal height for their position) and you have real height.

They do both barefoot and shoes measurements at the combine. This will be the most accurate measurement you will ever see for these young men.

duncan2150
05-18-2022, 11:38 AM

Really interesting measurements for him, next will be the athletic tests. He's a baller.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 11:39 AM
They do both barefoot and shoes measurements at the combine. This will be the most accurate measurement you will ever see for these young men.
I know, but I'm not seeing them listed so far, so that's what I'm going with for the time being.
Eventually they make it all the way here: https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/

R. DeMurre
05-18-2022, 11:41 AM
I know, but I'm not seeing them listed so far, so that's what I'm going with for the time being.
Eventually they make it all the way here: https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/

For now, I'm just following Jonathan Givony's twitter: https://twitter.com/DraftExpress

duncan2150
05-18-2022, 11:42 AM
Arizona's Bennedict Mathurin official measurements from the NBA Combine: 6'6 in shoes, 6'9 wingspan, 8'8 standing reach, 204.6 lbs with 5.7% body fat.

G League Ignite guard Dyson Daniels official measurements at the NBA Combine: 6'7.5 in shoes, 6'10.5 wingspan, 8'9 standing reach, 195 pounds, 4.9% body fat.

Duke's Mark Williams official measurements from the NBA Combine: 7'2 in shoes, 7'6.5 wingspan, 9'9 standing reach, 242.4 lbs with 5.4% body fat.

Daniels is long ......

Ariel
05-18-2022, 11:46 AM
Daniels is long ......
Too much to like about him to fall outside the top 10. He's quietly become my favorite no. 9 pick.

duncan2150
05-18-2022, 11:46 AM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1526956796161757184

T Park
05-18-2022, 11:58 AM

When I asked last year about multiple firsts, the answer was “we don’t really want to develop more than 2 guys in a year at a time.

Imo, they’re gonna package the picks, and try hard as hell to move up.

pad300
05-18-2022, 12:02 PM
When I asked last year about multiple firsts, the answer was “we don’t really want to develop more than 2 guys in a year at a time.

Imo, they’re gonna package the picks, and try hard as hell to move up.

Yeah, I think they'll try to keep themselves to 2 rooks as well. Thus I can see packaging to trade up, or trading to the future, or a draft and stash if they can't work a trade...

SpurSpike
05-18-2022, 12:03 PM
Are there no decent forwards to draft? We have a good core at most positions but we desperately need a decent forward.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 12:03 PM
Another reason you don't want to draft a very raw prospect, unless he's got off the chart ceiling... only so many guys you can be developing at a time, and there's a cost of opportunity... I don't want to name names so I don't get mugged... :tongue

SpurSpike
05-18-2022, 12:06 PM
Also David Robinson looked pretty upset when he heard spurs get 9th pick. Seems he was really hoping to jump the draft. I think they will attempt to trade up.

Brazil

it was good untill 15K a year

T Park
Yeah, I think they'll try to keep themselves to 2 rooks as well. Thus I can see packaging to trade up, or trading to the future, or a draft and stash if they can't work a trade...

I wouldn’t be shocked if they tried to package McDermott and or Richardson to get into the 5-7 range. Could be wrong, we’ll see.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 12:07 PM
I wouldn’t be shocked if they tried to package McDermott and or Richardson to get into the 5-7 range. Could be wrong, we’ll see.
McDermott has NEGATIVE trade value... you have to THROW IN assets to get rid of him.

T Park
05-18-2022, 12:10 PM
McDermott has NEGATIVE trade value... you have to THROW IN assets to get rid of him.

He’s valuable to teams on the border of the playoffs or in. Especially to a New Orleans who needs shooting. He doesn’t have the negative value around the league that this message board has of him.

KingKev
05-18-2022, 12:15 PM
He’s valuable to teams on the border of the playoffs or in. Especially to a New Orleans who needs shooting. He doesn’t have the negative value around the league that this message board has of him.

He absolutely does have negative value. He makes sense for teams over the cap to take on a longer contract for an expiring in an effort to bater their roster.

Chinook
05-18-2022, 12:15 PM
I wonder if the Hornets would want to do a 9/25/38-for-13/15 swap. If the Spurs have Williams as their top guy at 9, there's a great chance they could move down a few picks and still snag him. That would give them a chance to grab one of the forwards still around in the middle of the first (Eason, Brown, Dieng) while also keeping their 20th pick to snag some PG depth. It's not my favorite idea, but if the team's goals for this draft is to just fill out the roster a bit, then saving on their first pick's salary and having a better chance at grabbing a near-lotto talent makes sense.

T Park
05-18-2022, 12:16 PM
He absolutely does have negative value. He makes sense for teams over the cap to take on a longer contract for an expiring in an effort to bater their roster.

Nope.

T Park
05-18-2022, 12:17 PM
I wonder if the Hornets would want to do a 9/25/38-for-13/15 swap. If the Spurs have Williams as their top guy at 9, there's a great chance they could move down a few picks and still snag him. That would give them a chance to grab one of the forwards still around in the middle of the first (Eason, Brown, Dieng) while also keeping their 20th pick to snag some PG depth. It's not my favorite idea, but if the team's goals for this draft is to just fill out the roster a bit, then saving on their first pick's salary and having a better chance at grabbing a near-lotto talent makes sense.

What do the spurs get for moving back?

spurs1990
05-18-2022, 12:21 PM
I saw Mathurin against UofH in the Elite 8 and he had a tough outing albeit against a very stout Houston defense that stymied all opponents. He was invisible in the 1st half but recovered a bit in the 2nd but not enough to keep Arizona within 10 pts in their loss. He also had an incident with a Texas Christian cheerleader the previous game that got some press. He apologized for any perceived infraction so that should be clean enough for the Spurs FO to take him at 9.

Williams I don't know anything about, but San Antonio has had some decent to good luck with Duke big men (Danny Ferry, Cherokee Parks). Duke pedigree alone should provide some cover in taking him at 20. I would be very glad with both those guys as potential rotational players down the line.

Chinook
05-18-2022, 12:22 PM
To piggyback off that post, I think the Spurs should be looking for three things in this draft: A forward who can be in the rotation right away (ideally as a starter) while not hurting the defense, a center who can spell Poeltl and Collins right away while eventually taking over for both of them and a three-and-D guard who has the potential to be the point-of-attack defender on the elite scoring PGs in the league. If one of those positions ends up being a star, awesome. But they absolutely need to fill in some cracks with their picks and not just trying the same old, draft a wing and try to teach them to be a PG in the d-league for a year thing they've been doing since Murray was picked. If you think Mathurin is a blue-chipper, you take him. But if you just think he's "BPA" but is in the same class as Vassell and Primo, you trade down until there's a BPA that makes sense.

Chinook
05-18-2022, 12:23 PM

They get to move up and take another lotto-esque talent instead of picking at the bottom of the first.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 12:23 PM
9 + 25 + 38 <---> 13 + 15
Unless you're dead set on a specific guy at 9, if you're a little flexible (say willing to pick between Daniels, Mathurin, Davis, and Sochan) one of them will be there at 13, and you get an extra pick for lottery talent which will not be there at 20 (like Eason)

Chomag
05-18-2022, 12:48 PM
Man if we use our pick on Griffin ... lol

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 12:49 PM
I would do that, Chinook. But I would prefer to have something like 9 and 13 that 13 and 15.

If SA can give up 20 and 25 to get to 13 I would probably prefer that because personally you at least for sure get who you want….but I would do that other deal too if push came to shove unless an opportunity to trade up for Ivey or Chet presented itself.

pad300
05-18-2022, 12:50 PM
Some people in this thread have been unhappy about the thought of Mark Williams at 9... You people realize that he's got more standing reach than Gobert and is at least a comparable athlete... Not to mention that he looks to have more offensive value than Gobert... (yeah, he hasn't had to take a bunch of jumpers in the NCAA, but he's 5/9 on them, and hit 75% of his FT's, so he has decent potential as a shooter). Getting a Gobert on a rookie contract at 9 would be a really good deal.

Chinook
05-18-2022, 01:05 PM
Some people in this thread have been unhappy about the thought of Mark Williams at 9... You people realize that he's got more standing reach than Gobert and is at least a comparable athlete... Not to mention that he looks to have more offensive value than Gobert... (yeah, he hasn't had to take a bunch of jumpers in the NCAA, but he's 5/9 on them, and hit 75% of his FT's, so he has decent potential as a shooter). Getting a Gobert on a rookie contract at 9 would be a really good deal.

I don't hate Williams that much, even though I would prefer to trade down a bit and get him. If the Spurs did pick him in the lottery, it would tell me they think he has a chance to be legit special. I would feel worse about him at 20 after Mathurin, because that does just feel like shuffling chairs or topping off the coffers. I think a lot of people might be overlooking the comments about Primo last year. In the Spurs' minds, they expected to be hoping for a chance to draft a Primo who stayed in college another year. They'd have to decide between guys like him, Mathurin, Murray etc. Unless their evaluation has changed quite a bit since then, they shouldn't be looking to draft another SG. If they had the 8th- and 9th-overall picks this year and drafted Primo and Mathurin, they'd be insane. So drafting Mathurin would suggest either they think he's finally the star wing they've been aiming for, or that they're just going to keep taking those shots no matter how crowded the room gets.

What does that have to do with Williams? Because to me, if they are willing to just fill up on another SG, then they probably intend to just do that with center, and draft a guy who will be fighting with Jock Landale for gameday activations. I wouldn't be happy with them spending two picks on guys like that while they continue to have no forwards with size on their roster. Taking Williams at 9 would suggest they think he'll be their starting center within a year or so. It might let them trade Poeltl in an impact deal. Of it could mean they're intending to release/trade Collins and maximize cap space. There are a lot of good things it could mean if they take him high that don't have much to do with whether we believe he's going to be Gobert or not. I remember when people were trying to decide between Gobert or Jaiteh in pre-draft discussions. Comparing favorably against a young Rudy doesn't mean much to be.

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 01:10 PM
Ya its tough with FA after draft…One wonders if SA is willing to spend big on someone like Ayton? If so that changes much of what you do in draft possibly

KingKev
05-18-2022, 01:16 PM
Ya its tough with FA after draft…One wonders if SA is willing to spend big on someone like Ayton? If so that changes much of what you do in draft possibly

I think you have the order of operation wrong.

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 01:18 PM
I think you have the order of operation wrong.

How

Ariel
05-18-2022, 01:20 PM
Is Ayton at 30M+ that much better than Mark Williams at a rookie deal?
In fact, if I were Phoenix, I'd take a long look at getting the assets necessary for Willaims (in some trade that nets them a pick in the 8-13 range) as an insurance policy for Ayton's likely departure.

duncan2150
05-18-2022, 01:24 PM

Williams will be solid imo, the only thing is you can a player with more versality here. Even Duren for me shows us more possibility of shoooting. Williams is a pure paint guy that could limitate his ceilling.

Mr. Body
05-18-2022, 01:34 PM

It's a good case, but then we're drafting to replace a player we already have in order to facilitate trading that player. That's pretty deflating. It's not a position of need and things are done purely to save money. I'd kick somebody's dog if that happened.

KingKev
05-18-2022, 01:35 PM
How

Why would I let an unknown and uncontrollable dictate the draft when the draft precludes free agency? Willingness to spend on Ayton is independent of draft day decisions given Ayton is an RFA who, IF interested I have the tools to acquire via S&T or via outright free agency.

Kevin
05-18-2022, 01:47 PM
It's a good case, but then we're drafting to replace a player we already have in order to facilitate trading that player. That's pretty deflating. It's not a position of need and things are done purely to save money. I'd kick somebody's dog if that happened.

That's how I feel about Williams or Duren at 9. Sideways move realistically.

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty down on Duren, but even he seems like a better prospect than Williams from Duke. I thought Williams had challenges defending in space. To me, how is Williams much better than Kessler at 20 or 25? Obviously, people must think there is some upside to Williams playing on a crowded roster et cetera, but even still I'm hesitant to let a good scrimmage at the Combine erase all that is already known about him. Anyway, sort of rambling here, but very underwhelmed with picking a dinosaur center with our #9 pick.

Uriel
05-18-2022, 02:11 PM
I've seen Mark Williams play in person and I've always wondered why he wasn't rated more highly; there are times where he seemed to me Duke's best player outside of Banchero. That said, I would prefer we draft a combo 4 with our pick, in the mold of Jeremy Sochan / Ousmane Dieng / AJ Griffin.

Mr. Body
05-18-2022, 02:28 PM
I've seen Mark Williams play in person and I've always wondered why he wasn't rated more highly than Banchero; there are times where he seemed to me Duke's best player outside of Banchero. That said, I would prefer we draft a combo 4 with our pick, in the mold of Jeremy Sochan / Ousmane Dieng / AJ Griffin.

Williams also seemed to fix a lot of mistakes coming from AJ Griffin's abysmal defense. Griffin would get blown by and Williams had to come over to try to clean up.

I think Banchero will need to be paired with a good center. He really is a lot like Julius Randle who is out on an island on defense, not good outside, not good inside.

rjv
05-18-2022, 02:39 PM
if the spurs decide to go with a traditional center, i'd rather they pick williams over duren.

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 02:43 PM
Williams fans, a question: what does he do better than Kessler?

jjspur
05-18-2022, 02:54 PM
If a pretty decent player the spurs actually want isn't there (I'm talking size), I'm all for trading down a bit and collect some assets, say like to Cleveland: McNuggets and the #9 for Isaac Okoro, Lamar Stevens and the #14. Kills two birds with one stone. We don't exactly get what we want because it isn't there, but we do pick up some assets and we still pick at the end of the lottery. Remember whomever we pick at 9 won't get to play all that much as Pop hates to play rookies (very few exceptions). At least with the trade above we pick up assets and experience, something the #9 probably won't give us right away.

rjv
05-18-2022, 03:12 PM
if the spurs really are high on mathurin, i'd have to think that sounds the death knell for walker.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:16 PM
CBS|NBA 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Magic take Chet Holmgren at No. 1 in first projection after Orlando wins lottery
Gary Parrish, 31 minutes ago, AKA 18 May 2022

Round 1 - Pick 9
Duren isn't really the type of floor-spacing big franchises prefer these days, but he's such a physical specimen and great athlete that there's probably a place for him in the top 10 of this draft. At worst, he should be a terrific rim-running and rim-protecting center who alters shots and dunks everything.

Round 1 - Pick 20
Hardy didn't do much over the past year to help his draft stock — but he's still a likely first-round talent capable of developing into a special player. Being drafted by a franchise like San Antonio would probably be the best thing for the trajectory of his career.

Round 1 - Pick 25
Braun is a wing with size who can guard his position, reliably make jumpers and finish in transition. He's the type of prospect who could flourish in the culture San Antonio has established.

Mr. Body
05-18-2022, 03:17 PM
CBS|NBA 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Magic take Chet Holmgren at No. 1 in first projection after Orlando wins lottery
Gary Parrish, 31 minutes ago, AKA 18 May 2022

Those are terrible picks for the Spurs. And I don't think they will consider Duren or Hardy much at all. Braun is a complete meh.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:20 PM
SBNation NBA mock draft 2022: Instant first round picks with lottery complete
Ricky O'Donnell, 17 May 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs - Bennedict Mathurin, G, Arizona

Mathurin blossomed into one of college basketball’s biggest stars as a sophomore and helped transform Arizona into a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. The 6’5 guard cemented himself as a lottery pick with deep shooting range, opportunistic cutting, and the ability to impact the game offensively without holding the ball. Mathurin’s shooting will have to be his calling card, and he hit 37 percent of his three-pointers on 225 attempts this year. He has deep range on spot-ups and more importantly showed the ability hit shots while running off screens. Mathurin’s cutting ability also jumped out on tape: he’s great at eating up the space the defense gives him in the lane, and he’s an explosive two-footed jumper when he’s near the basket. The question with Mathurin’s offense is how much juice he’s going to provide off the dribble: his handle can be a bit shaky, and he missed a fair amount of open passing windows in college. The defense could also be a tricky evaluation: Mathurin should have the quickness and length to be good defensively against smaller guards, but he’s often prone to off-ball lapses and poor technique. There are a lot of great, young combo guards in the NBA right now, and if Mathurin continues to develop as a dynamic shooter he has a good chance to join them.

20. San Antonio Spurs - Nikola Jovic, F, Serbia

Jovic is a 6’10 Serbian forward who is the latest potential first round pick for Mega Basket, the same club that once produced Nikola Jokic. Jovic stamped himself as a likely first rounder with an impressive showing in the 2021 FIBA U19 World Cup, where he averaged 18.1 points per game and hit 36.4 percent of his threes. Jovic is a dynamic offensive prospect thanks to his combination of size, shooting, and creativity. Jovic’s flash plays are incredibly enticing, with step-backs and sidesteps from three-point range acting as a regular part of his arsenal. He’s also shown some intriguing passing chops when he puts the ball on the floor, which makes him more dangerous than your typical spot-up shooter. The big question for Jovic is the defense. He can be an eyesore on that end getting burned by quicker players and struggling to get over screens. There’s no denying his offensive talent at 6’10, and if a team believes they can get him out of the liability zone defensively, he’s a nice upside gamble at this point in the first round.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics) - Kennedy Chandler, G, Tennessee

Chandler was a decorated high school point guard who lived up to the hype as an All-SEC performer as a freshman for Tennessee. At 6-foot, 170 pounds with a 6’6 wingspan, Chandler makes up for his lack of size with plus length, quick hands, and toughness. Chandler is a speedy ball handler who can get into the paint and has the finishing craft to score (60 percent at the rim) in close despite his lack of size. He’s also a good pick-and-roll manipulator who finished in the 73rd percentile on those play types this season, per Synergy Sports. While Chandler is mostly a one- or two-position defender because of his lack of size, he is decidedly feisty at the point of attack, showing the ability to cleanly pick opposing guards for an impressive 4.1 percent steal rate. Chandler also make 38 percent of his threes this year, but surprisingly shot only 60 percent from the foul line. He’ll need to be a reliable shooter from deep and develop his floater to be an effective scorer at the next level, but his ability to run a team makes him a safe bet to carve out a long career as a backup point guard, if nothing else.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:22 PM
Sports Illustrated: NBA Mock Draft: Magic Win Lottery, Latest Projections
Jeremy Woo, 19 hours ago, AKA 17 May 2022

9. Spurs: Johnny Davis, SG, Wisconsin

Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 195 | Age: 20 | Sophomore

Davis boasts many of the traits San Antonio has traditionally favored in prospects: he is an intense competitor and worker, has strong feel on both ends of the floor, and boasts an unusually adept mid-range touch that teams hope will lead to more consistency from deep. He’s among the safer prospects in the lottery, and his rapid development points to even more room for growth, considering how seriously he takes his craft. As a smaller two-guard who’s more of a natural scorer than lead playmaker, you have to really believe in Davis’s intangibles to see star potential. But the likelihood he’s a longtime valuable player feels quite high regardless, and he figures to come off the board in the back half of the top 10.

20. Spurs (from Raptors): E.J. Liddell, PF, Ohio State

Height: 6' 7" | Weight: 240 | Age: 21 | Junior

With three first-round picks and four selections in the top 40, expect the Spurs to be active leading up to the draft, considering they’re already young and don’t need to roster four rookies. Liddell makes for an interesting fit here, giving San Antonio a more rugged option to rotate into the mix. He is active on both ends, had a terrific college career and is more versatile than he gets credit for, fitting a mold similar to forwards like P.J. Washington and Grant Williams. He has a chance to plug in and play positive minutes as a rookie, and fits the Spurs’ traditional ethos with his quiet, consistent approach.

25. Spurs (from Celtics): Wendell Moore, G/F, Duke

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 215 | Age: 20 | Junior

The Spurs may not wind up keeping all their first-rounders here, but Moore makes sense for their style of play as a glue guy who can help early on. He has a strong complementary skill set, with defensive versatility, playmaking skills and the ability to play with and without the ball. He doesn’t profile as a high-end scorer, but he is unselfish and should be able to make teammates better. Moore had a terrific junior year and wound up somewhat underappreciated in the run of things, due in part to all the other talent on his team, but he was the engine that drove the Blue Devils. After grabbing a two-guard and a four-man with their first two picks, San Antonio adds a multipositional role player here with Moore.

Mr. Body
05-18-2022, 03:25 PM
SBNation NBA mock draft 2022: Instant first round picks with lottery complete
Ricky O'Donnell, 17 May 2022

I'm starting to really like Mathurin a lot at #9 once again. He has tremendous potential and his deficiencies aren't terrible. A potential star that teams will have to miss on to drop.

I don't like Jovic. Just sucks at defense, truly terrible.

And I guess they just threw a point guard in there because no one pays attention to the Spurs.

Leetonidas
05-18-2022, 03:25 PM
Sports Illustrated: NBA Mock Draft: Magic Win Lottery, Latest Projections
Jeremy Woo, 19 hours ago, AKA 17 May 2022

Two guards and a midget PF :lmao

That would be a very Spursy draft

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:27 PM
Yahoo! Sports : 2022 NBA Mock Draft 7.0: Magic secure top spot, plus complete 1st- and 2nd-round picks

9. San Antonio Spurs: C Mark Williams

Ht./Wt.: 7-0, 242 pounds | Class: Sophomore | Duke: 10.6 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 3 bpg

Williams is an athletic center who loves to run in transition and is a solid shot blocker with his 7-foot-7 wingspan. At 20 years old, he still has room for growth and development, but the improvements he made under Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski in two years is indicative to the type of worker he is. Williams is extremely coachable, something that bodes well for players under Gregg Popovich.

20. San Antonio Spurs: G Jaden Hardy

Ht./Wt.: 6-4, 198 pounds | G League Ignite: 17.7 ppg, 3.2 apg

25. San Antonio Spurs: G Wendell Moore Jr.

Ht./Wt.: 6-5, 213 pounds | Class: Junior | Duke: 13.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.4 apg

38. San Antonio Spurs: F Leonard Miller (Fort Erie International Academy)

Mr. Body
05-18-2022, 03:27 PM
The number 9, btw, has some good history, as opposed, say, to the #2, which is cursed.

Tracy McGrady, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Dirk Nowitzki, DeMar DeRozan.

It seems to be a pick where previous teams are distracted by other players and good ones can drop.

timvp
05-18-2022, 03:34 PM
I guess that Mark Williams @ 9 rumor that's going around the league is making its way to the mainstream . . .

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:34 PM
Bleacher Report : 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Full 2 Rounds, Post-Draft Lottery Edition
Jonathan Wasserman, M1y 18, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Jalen Duren (Memphis, C, Freshman)

Despite Duren's limited creation and shooting skills, in the late lottery, the Spurs should see value in adding a potential top rim protector to their rotation. And having Dejounte Murray to set the table should only optimize the 6'11", 250-pounder's 7'5" wingspan and exciting leaping ability.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): Patrick Baldwin Jr. (Milwaukee, SF/PF, Freshman)

Baldwin had a rough season because of an injury, cold shooting and limited support. But the scouting process on the 6'9" shot-maker didn't start this season. The Spurs can look at the bigger picture and put more stock into his track record of high-level shot-making, which dates to early in high school.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics): E.J. Liddell (Ohio State, PF, Junior)

Improved shooting and defense have pushed Liddell into the first-round discussion, and given the Spurs' frontcourt situation, he could be a target with the team's second first-rounder.

38. San Antonio Spurs (via Lakers): Jake LaRavia (Wake Forest, PF, Junior)

Assuming LaRavia's three-ball remains consistent, the 6'9" forward has developed the right mix of shooting, passing and defensive instincts for a supporting role.

rascal
05-18-2022, 03:36 PM
Williams will be solid imo, the only thing is you can a player with more versality here. Even Duren for me shows us more possibility of shoooting. Williams is a pure paint guy that could limitate his ceilling.

You take Duren over Williams.

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 03:36 PM
If that's a rumor circulating then probably part of the typical subterfuge. I feel better about this now. And if this is the Spurs leaking this, then it makes me wonder what they are trying to convey about their need for center and their future with Yak...see how easy it is to get pulled into this nonsense?

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:37 PM
NBA.com | Consensus Mock Draft: Top 3 far from clear in first look after Draft lottery
Drew Packham, May 18, 2022

9. Jalen Duren | San Antonio Spurs

Memphis | Position: C | Height: 6-11
Most Common: 7 (4)

Young talent with big upside, a physically gifted big man who can finish around the rim; potential to become top defender who can protect the rim and defend the pick-and-roll.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:40 PM
Sporting News | NBA Mock Draft 2022: Magic select Paolo Banchero with No. 1 pick; Thunder, Kings make biggest lottery jumps
Kyle Irving, 9 hours ago, AKA 18 May 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Jalen Duren, Memphis

Position: C

Height and weight: 6-foot-11, 250 lbs.

Duren is the most physical player in this draft class with an NBA-ready body and plus-athleticism. While the Spurs already have a strong rim protector in Jakob Poeltl, Duren is better-suited for San Antonio's core pieces like Dejounte Murray and Keldon Johnson as a big man with speed and fluidity. His offensive game needs some polishing but there is no better organization to help with that growth than the Spurs, who groomed Hall of Famers David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via TOR): Ousmane Dieng, NZ Breakers (NBL), France

Position: F

Height and weight: 6-foot-9, 185 lbs.

Dieng is the definition of a potential diamond in the rough, as the 18-year-old displayed some flashes of brilliance during his first NBL season this year. At 6-foot-9, Dieng is a creative scorer on the perimeter with quality ball-handling skills to get to his spots and he's a good passer for his size. He continued to improve as his rookie season went on, but he'll still be a work-in-progress when he first gets to the NBA level. Leave it to the Spurs to try and develop this young prospect, selecting Dieng with an extra first-round pick they acquired via trade.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via BOS): Kendall Brown, Baylor

Position: F

Height and weight: 6-foot-8, 205 lbs.

Brown had a rough stretch from the Big 12 Tournament through the NCAA Tournament, but his athleticism, quick feet, breakaway speed and vertical leap make him a high-risk, high-reward prospect. The Baylor freshman could provide some added depth for the Spurs on the wing, but he'll be a development project.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:44 PM
NY Post | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 1.0: Which player will go No. 1 and the Knicks’ pick at No. 11
Zach Braziller, May 18, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs
Jeremy Sochan, Baylor (F, 6-9, 230 pounds)

He defends, he can play multiple positions and he has underrated playmaking skills. Sounds like a Gregg Popovich type of player.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:47 PM
Dime Magazine | NBA Mock Draft 2022: The Orlando Magic Are On The Clock
Brad Rowland, May 17, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs – Bennedict Mathurin (G/F, Arizona)

Mathurin has long been a favorite in this space, and his offensive skill set is a lot of fun. His feel is impressive and his shooting has come a long way. Defensively, there are some concerns, but there is enough to work with in terms of basketball IQ and frame to get by.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto) – Nikola Jovic (F, Mega)

Jovic is a first-round talent, and the Spurs are a natural landing spot. It remains unclear on whether he can defend in the NBA, but Jovic is 18 years old and highly skilled and polished in key areas. He certainly brings offensive upside.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Boston) – Jake LaRavia (F, Wake Forest)

It’s been quite a rise for LaRavia, but it seems like NBA teams have taken notice along with public-facing evaluators. He would be a fun Spurs fit with his passing and general basketball IQ, and LaRavia should be able to shoot it at a pretty high level. He’s a limited athlete, but there is a lot to like.

rascal
05-18-2022, 03:48 PM
The move is to take Duren at 9 then trade Poeltl to Charlotte for 13.

Uriel
05-18-2022, 03:48 PM
People are saying Duren is a physical specimen. But Mark Williams is taller and has a longer wingspan.

Mr. Body
05-18-2022, 03:49 PM
These sites selecting Duren for the Spurs are just being lazy.

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 03:52 PM
Sporting News | NBA Mock Draft 2022: Magic select Paolo Banchero with No. 1 pick; Thunder, Kings make biggest lottery jumps

Replace Duren with Sochan, and we'd get a likely starter at PF, a longterm project in Dieng and then Kendall Brown as a defensive stopper with some upside. But I don't see Dieng and Brown both still available. But to be able to get Dieng at 20 would be amazing.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:52 PM
NBA Draft Room | 2022 Mock Draft
[at least post lottery]

9 Spurs Ousmane Dieng SF – New Zealand Breakers (France) – HT: 6-9 – WT: NA – WING: 7-0 – Int.03 – The Spurs are rebuilding with young and can swing for the upside here. Dieng had an up and down season in the NBL but his skills are tantalizing. -

20 Spurs (from Raptors) Blake Wesley SG – Notre Dame – Ht – 6-5 – Wt – 185 – Wing – NA – Fr – One of the top athletes in the class, Wesley is a truly explosive player but lacks a 3pt shot. Article R.J. Hampton, Larry Hughes

25 Spurs (from Celtics) Kendall Brown SF – Baylor – HT: 6-6 – WT: 205 – WING: NA – Fr – A versatile player who brings it on both ends of the court. Has elite above-the-rim ability, is a world class defensive player and underrated passer. 1on1 interview Corey Maggette+

38 Spurs (from Lakers) Jean Montero PG – Overtime Elite (Dominican Republic) – HT: 6-2 – WT: 175 – WING: NA – Int.03 – A slick ball handler, passer and creative finisher with scoring instincts. International Elite 15 Dennis Schröder

rascal
05-18-2022, 03:53 PM
Dime Magazine | NBA Mock Draft 2022: The Orlando Magic Are On The Clock
Brad Rowland, May 17, 2022

No limited athletes on the spurs. Need to add more length and athleticism.

KingKev
05-18-2022, 03:54 PM
Is Drom John a bot? Lol

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:55 PM
DraftKings Nation | 2022 NBA mock draft 2.0: Predicting the first round after the draft lottery
Chinmay Vaidya, May 17, 2022

No. 9 - San Antonio Spurs - Johnny Davis, G, Wisconsin

No. 20 - San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors) - Nikola Jovic, F, Serbia

No. 25 - San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics) - Malaki Branham, G, Ohio State

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:55 PM
Is Drom John a bot? Lol

Drom John is bored.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 03:56 PM
These sites selecting Duren for the Spurs are just being lazy.

Agreed. He’s the guy I’m most confident we won’t be taking.

I think we’d take Williams over him at 9 if we were to go the C route, which I don’t believe we will either.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 03:58 PM
DraftKings Nation | 2022 NBA mock draft 2.0: Predicting the first round after the draft lottery
Chinmay Vaidya, May 17, 2022

Not a fan of Jovic as he’s probably the worst defender of all the First Round prospects, but Branham at 25 would be a steal. Spurs won’t select 2 SG’s in the First though.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 03:58 PM
Fadeaway World | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Orlando Magic Select Chet Holmgren With The No. 1 Overall Pick
Ishaan Bhattacharya, 7 hours ago, AKA 18 May 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs - Benedict Mathurin, Arizona Wildcats
2022 NBA Mock Draft: Will The Orlando Magic Select Chet Holmgren With The No. 1 Overall Pick?

Credit: Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports

Benedict Mathurin is one of the best off-ball scorers available in the draft. He can score off the catch, off a cut, and can even create his own shot with the ball. He is yet another modern combo guard that can perform roles as either the primary guard or the secondary guard. But, there are some issues with his play that need to be kept in mind.

Mathurin is 6'7 has the frame to be a solid guard defender, but hasn't found the right flow and is prone to making poor decisions. In addition, his ball-handling for a combo guard could be better, as his ability to create for others is a little questionable. It's a good thing the Spurs could pair him with Dejounte Murray, who can do everything that Mathurin can't and be a mentor to the young guard and help him round out his game.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 03:59 PM
^That breakdown of Mathurin sounds a lot like Jalen Brown coming out of college.

rascal
05-18-2022, 04:00 PM
Sites are taking Jovic for the Spurs because of the Spurs past of taking foreign players.

Drom John
05-18-2022, 04:01 PM
Fansided NBA | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Who gets the star big men at the top?
Ian Levy, 13 seconds ago, AKA 18 May 2022

Jalen Duren
Big, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs

Duren is the centerpiece of an impressive draft haul for the Spurs, with the selections of E.J. Liddell and Ousmane Dieng later in the first round. Dieng is a play for the future and Liddell is player who can contribute right away. Duren is a potentially transformational defensive piece that bridges the gap between the two.

E.J. Liddell
Forward, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs

Liddell was a primary scorer in college but his skill set should translate nicely as a high-level role player. He can shoot and defend multiple positions and has a solid face-up game that will let him exploit certain mismatches. There’s a lot of P.J. Washington to his game.

Ousmane Dieng
Wing, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs

Dieng is projected much higher in some mocks and he’d be an absolute steal if he fell to the Spurs here. He’s young and raw, particularly as an outside shooter, but he’s a 6-foot-10 wing with smooth ball-handling and passing ability and plenty of defensive upside.

rascal
05-18-2022, 04:02 PM
Replace Duren with Sochan, and we'd get a likely starter at PF, a longterm project in Dieng and then Kendall Brown as a defensive stopper with some upside. But I don't see Dieng and Brown both still available. But to be able to get Dieng at 20 would be amazing.

I think the Spurs take Sochan if he's there at 9. Pop is more into defensive players.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 04:03 PM
Gonna laugh at the meltdown on this site when Dyson Daniels and Mathurin go 7 & 8 and Spurs wind up taking AJ Griffin :lol

Thomas82
05-18-2022, 04:04 PM
Oh, and Mark Williams at 9 would fucking suck tbh.

Yeah it would....I wouldn't touch any of those Duke players anyway.

BackHome
05-18-2022, 04:06 PM
I think the Spurs take Sochan if he's there at 9. Pop is more into defensive players.

Forbes says "HI"....

BackHome
05-18-2022, 04:09 PM
Gonna laugh at the meltdown on this site when Dyson Daniels and Mathurin go 7 & 8 and Spurs wind up taking AJ Griffin :lol

:rolleyes:pctoss

rascal
05-18-2022, 04:12 PM
I'm the only one on here who doesn't want Sochan at 9. Rather have Duren, Williams if Duren is gone and trade away Poeltl to Charlotte for 13 and take Daniels or Ogbaji (move Primo to the bench) with the Charlotte pick.

rascal
05-18-2022, 04:20 PM
I'm starting to really like Mathurin a lot at #9 once again. He has tremendous potential and his deficiencies aren't terrible. A potential star that teams will have to miss on to drop.

I don't like Jovic. Just sucks at defense, truly terrible.

And I guess they just threw a point guard in there because no one pays attention to the Spurs.

I like Mathurin but likely to be gone by pick 9. Jovic has a nice perimeter game but what else does he bring. Not quick enough defensively.

Thomas82
05-18-2022, 04:28 PM

I would be very happy with this draft haul.

Mr. Body
05-18-2022, 04:29 PM
Forbes says "HI"....

When did the Spurs draft Forbes?

objective
05-18-2022, 04:54 PM
Mathurin would be incredible. He's the only guy I see that could have a Booker / LaVine level rise to a premium scorer from a later lottery pick.

I would rank that Spurs range for now:

Mathurin
Sochan
Duren
Dyson
Keegan
AJ Griffin
Johnny Davis

rascal
05-18-2022, 04:59 PM
Mathurin would be incredible. He's the only guy I see that could have a Booker / LaVine level rise to a premium scorer from a later lottery pick.

I would rank that Spurs range for now:

Mathurin
Sochan
Duren
Dyson
Keegan
AJ Griffin
Johnny Davis

Most likely four of Sochan, Daniels, Griffin, Davis, Duren will be there from your list.

MultiTroll
05-18-2022, 05:03 PM
Will there be prized for whomever pics 9,20,25 and 38 for the Spurs?

TD 21
05-18-2022, 05:03 PM

Is the preference to extend him unless blown away or to trade him but hold out until up the trade deadline if necessary to procure the perceived best value?

If it's the latter, I don't get it. As strong as his metrics annually are, he's a role playing center and the position is oversaturated. The few with holes will fill them in the meantime and in the process the Spurs will risk injury.

Not uncommon for projections to fall short, but this probably eliminates the "he might be able to guard 1-4" notion.

In the Spurs' minds, they expected to be hoping for a chance to draft a Primo who stayed in college another year. They'd have to decide between guys like him, Mathurin, Murray etc. Unless their evaluation has changed quite a bit since then, they shouldn't be looking to draft another SG. If they had the 8th- and 9th-overall picks this year and drafted Primo and Mathurin, they'd be insane. So drafting Mathurin would suggest either they think he's finally the star wing they've been aiming for, or that they're just going to keep taking those shots no matter how crowded the room gets.

What does that have to do with Williams? Because to me, if they are willing to just fill up on another SG, then they probably intend to just do that with center, and draft a guy who will be fighting with Jock Landale for gameday activations. I wouldn't be happy with them spending two picks on guys like that while they continue to have no forwards with size on their roster. Taking Williams at 9 would suggest they think he'll be their starting center within a year or so. It might let them trade Poeltl in an impact deal.

They're attempting to develop Primo into a combo guard offensively, whereas Mathurin projects as more of a wing. The former is also a project and none of him, Johnson or Vassell are good enough to pass up perceived BPA.

If they draft Williams, it'll probably only be in a scenario where Poeltl is traded to the Hornets, the 15th pick is part of the package and the pick is utilized on him.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 05:09 PM
It's quite possible... but with Johnny Davis or Sochan on the board, I sure as hell hope we don't take a guy that has more injuries than hairs.

T Park
05-18-2022, 05:17 PM
There’s an outside possibility you could get the fourth pick for Poeltl Richardson and 2 picks. Outside.

slick'81
05-18-2022, 05:23 PM
There’s an outside possibility you could get the fourth pick for Poeltl Richardson and 2 picks. Outside.

nope

SAGirl
05-18-2022, 05:31 PM
I'm pretty down on Duren, but even he seems like a better prospect than Williams from Duke. I thought Williams had challenges defending in space. To me, how is Williams much better than Kessler at 20 or 25? Obviously, people must think there is some upside to Williams playing on a crowded roster et cetera, but even still I'm hesitant to let a good scrimmage at the Combine erase all that is already known about him. Anyway, sort of rambling here, but very underwhelmed with picking a dinosaur center with our #9 pick.
A good scrimmage at the combine opens minds and changes hearts...

SAGirl
05-18-2022, 05:33 PM
if the spurs really are high on mathurin, i'd have to think that sounds the death knell for walker.
Walker probably has rung his own death knell.

Chinook
05-18-2022, 05:35 PM
They're attempting to develop Primo into a combo guard offensively, whereas Mathurin projects as more of a wing.

It's not about whether the two can play together. In a vacuum, they certainly could. It's that even with that, they wouldn't draft them both in a year. So if they do it this time, it means they have no plan for rebuilding other than draft SGs until they get a star. That's ridiculously bad, especially given how they seem to view developing players nowadays.

The former is also a project and none of him, Johnson or Vassell are good enough to pass up perceived BPA.

I think a lot of people have a misconception on how BPA works. It almost never means to take the absolute best prospect all the time. It usually means making a board and sticking to it if you make a pick but to use that board to inform you when to move around the draft. If the Spurs needed a PF, but an SG was the best player on the board, they don't have to take him. They can move around until the BPA IS a PF. Also, being BPA doesn't mean to just have more talent. Positional need is certainly part of setting the board. So if Mathurin is the best player on the board, and the Spurs can't or won't find a workable trade, then so be it. But him merely having talent doesn't make him the obvious pick, especially considering that the Spurs keep finding ways to feel that way about guards while other teams to be able to find talent players at other positions just fine.

lebomb
05-18-2022, 05:38 PM
Watch..............it will be Duren.

If Im wrong, oh well. No one fuggin knows anyhow............ :lol:claw

SAGirl
05-18-2022, 05:39 PM
Agreed. He’s the guy I’m most confident we won’t be taking.

I think we’d take Williams over him at 9 if we were to go the C route, which I don’t believe we will either.
Do you mind if I ask why? I am legit curious.

Ariel
05-18-2022, 05:41 PM
Not necessarily, Richardson is probably on the way out, and Primo is still very raw. You could definitely slot Mathurin in there, with him and Vassell sharing minutes at 2/3
If we take Blake Wesley or Hardy, however, that does spell doom for Lonnie. But in all honesty, I think he's doomed regardless...

Ariel
05-18-2022, 05:44 PM
A good scrimmage at the combine opens minds and changes hearts...
True. Which is why we might end up using the no. 9 pick on Orlando Robinson
Joking... but kind of worried also :lol

SAGirl
05-18-2022, 05:44 PM
I am afraid of this. Coupled with AJ then losing the only skill that made him draftable when he has to rework his shot. Only half joking here.

TD 21
05-18-2022, 05:54 PM
It's not about whether the two can play together. In a vacuum, they certainly could. It's that even with that, they wouldn't draft them both in a year. So if they do it this time, it means they have no plan for rebuilding other than draft SGs until they get a star. That's ridiculously bad, especially given how they seem to view developing players nowadays.

I think a lot of people have a misconception on how BPA works. It almost never means to take the absolute best prospect all the time. It usually means making a board and sticking to it if you make a pick but to use that board to inform you when to move around the draft. If the Spurs needed a PF, but an SG was the best player on the board, they don't have to take him. They can move around until the BPA IS a PF. Also, being BPA doesn't mean to just have more talent. Positional need is certainly part of setting the board. So if Mathurin is the best player on the board, and the Spurs can't or won't find a workable trade, then so be it. But him merely having talent doesn't make him the obvious pick, especially considering that the Spurs keep finding ways to feel that way about guards while other teams to be able to find talent players at other positions just fine.

They might draft both in the same year, they're both wings defensively and I don't see that as not having a plan. In general, they haven't appeared to have a coherent one though.

You're overthinking this. Just pick the best perceived talent and be done with it.

I agree positional need should factor in mainly when it comes to fours because it's so difficult to find ones with a combination of good enough physical tools and ball skills, which is why I've long said they should try to trade up for Murray (good luck though considering he's a perfect fit for the Pacers and Trail Blazers).

Thomas82
05-18-2022, 06:17 PM
People are saying Duren is a physical specimen. But Mark Williams is taller and has a longer wingspan.

But Duren is just 18 and can still grow. This past season should have been his senior year of high school.

exstatic
05-18-2022, 06:33 PM
If a pretty decent player the spurs actually want isn't there (I'm talking size), I'm all for trading down a bit and collect some assets, say like to Cleveland: McNuggets and the #9 for Isaac Okoro, Lamar Stevens and the #14. Kills two birds with one stone. We don't exactly get what we want because it isn't there, but we do pick up some assets and we still pick at the end of the lottery. Remember whomever we pick at 9 won't get to play all that much as Pop hates to play rookies (very few exceptions). At least with the trade above we pick up assets and experience, something the #9 probably won't give us right away.

Different day. Vassell played as a rookie, over 1000 minutes in a 72 game season. Primo played almost 1000:this year. You people need some new material.

exstatic
05-18-2022, 06:36 PM

Duren’s bounce is ridiculous. He’s also extremely muscular and developed for 18.

BatManu20
05-18-2022, 06:38 PM
Do you mind if I ask why? I am legit curious.

Just based on timvp’s comments of the Spurs being high on him. Duren is young and has upside, so I’m not hating on him. But he comes from a Memphis program that was really poorly coached last season and has a reputation for producing selfish players or players with character issues. Duren doesn’t seem to have the latter, which is good. And he’s the 2nd youngest player in the draft, which is a definite plus.

But just personality-wise, Duren just doesn’t seem like a Spurs guy to me. Williams has that Duke pedigree (was well-coached under Coach K and their excellent staff) and comes from a strong family (his father is a doctor, etc). And now we know his measurements are insane. Just think Spurs would rather have him than Duren.

With that said, I’d be shocked (and disappointed) if we went with a rim-running big at 9. Legit.

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 07:13 PM
Walker probably has rung his own death knell.

Sadly, I hope they don't consider any scenario in bringing him back. I don't know who we should draft but I know they have to move on from Walker. His playing time will only get in the way of other players.

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 07:22 PM
I go back and forth on all this but if I had to simplify I'd say: don't draft any poor defender, but if you do they have to be able to self create on offense--being a good three point shooter is not enough.

Mathurin sounds like a rich man's McDermott/Walker type player--great shooter, gets lost on defense too often. I said rich man's because he has more upside and better hope on defense, and I'm hyperbolizing to obviously trigger people, but who do we have to break down the defense to get him those open looks? I suppose his spacing can open up the lane for Dejounte, but I honestly don't think it's a great fit, though happy to be proven wrong if they end up picking Mathurin.

I'm sort of at Dyson Daniels, Johnny Davis, or Sochan. The latter two are sort of ferocious competitors and I think that's what I want more than anything, someone who is ridiculously driven. A small market team should probably be defensive oriented because it's harder to acquire top shelf offensive talent. So yeah, at this point I'm fine with one of those three and realize we are going to be bad again next year and still in the lottery.

Of course tomorrow I may change my mind completely.

Dejounte
05-18-2022, 07:22 PM
Some adjustments…

9 - Dyson/ Eason / Dieng
20 - JWilliams/ Wesley
25 - Liddell/ Procida

DPG21920
05-18-2022, 07:26 PM
Why would I let an unknown and uncontrollable dictate the draft when the draft precludes free agency? Willingness to spend on Ayton is independent of draft day decisions given Ayton is an RFA who, IF interested I have the tools to acquire via S&T or via outright free agency.

Not at all IMO. Teams know their chances and when drafting a C in the lottery is already a low EV move, it’s even lower if you have sights set on a high dollar C already in upcoming FA

Dejounte
05-18-2022, 07:32 PM
I like Sochan, but I’ve backed off him at the #9. I think at that draft position, you aim for someone with good to great offensive prowess (scoring or facilitating). While I think Sochan could improve a lot on that end, I don’t think his defense is game changing enough justify to picking him there.

rascal
05-18-2022, 07:36 PM
Just based on timvp’s comments of the Spurs being high on him. Duren is young and has upside, so I’m not hating on him. But he comes from a Memphis program that was really poorly coached last season and has a reputation for producing selfish players or players with character issues. Duren doesn’t seem to have the latter, which is good. And he’s the 2nd youngest player in the draft, which is a definite plus.

But just personality-wise, Duren just doesn’t seem like a Spurs guy to me. Williams has that Duke pedigree (was well-coached under Coach K and their excellent staff) and comes from a strong family (his father is a doctor, etc). And now we know his measurements are insane. Just think Spurs would rather have him than Duren.

With that said, I’d be shocked (and disappointed) if we went with a rim-running big at 9. Legit.

Who cares what his father does for a living. That should have no bearing on a players abilities. Duke players are often over rated when they get into the NBA. The Duke pedigree is BS. This thing about certain players not Spurs guys is stupid. Duren has more upside than Williams as he has a better game already away from the basket. Williams can't shoot beyond 5 feet.

slick'81
05-18-2022, 07:37 PM
Who cares what his father does for a living. That should have no bearing on a players abilities. Duke players are often over rated when they get into the NBA. The Duke pedigree is BS. This thing about certain players not Spurs guys is stupid. Duren has more upside than Williams as he has a better game already away from the basket. Williams can't shoot beyond 5 feet.

yea the whole he has great parents means jack shit

KingKev
05-18-2022, 07:41 PM
yea the whole he has great parents means jack shit

DJ is our best player and grew up virtually fatherless.

rascal
05-18-2022, 07:42 PM
I like Sochan, but I’ve backed off him at the #9. I think at that draft position, you aim for someone with good to great offensive prowess (scoring or facilitating). While I think Sochan could improve a lot on that end, I don’t think his defense is game changing enough justify to picking him there.

Agree the Spurs can target defensive players with the later picks.

That pick at 9 should have the highest offensive upside potential. Those type of players will get drafted higher.

offset formation
05-18-2022, 09:16 PM
True. Which is why we might end up using the no. 9 pick on Orlando Robinson
Joking... but kind of worried also :lol

Is he the youngest player in the draft? (sarcasm)

BackHome
05-18-2022, 09:16 PM
Some adjustments…

9 - Dyson/ Eason / Dieng
20 - JWilliams/ Wesley
25 - Liddell/ Procida

I like this.....:)......so many different ways this draft can play out I just hope we get lucky with some of our picks..

Dejounte
05-18-2022, 09:25 PM
Tbh JWilliams is the yang to Eason’s yin. They’re roughly the same age. One is a big offense guy and the other a big defense guy. Because of where the league is trending, I’d almost prefer JWill. JWill’s physical and athletic marks are eye popping. In an interview, he likens himself to DeMar DeRozan… which is a comparison I’m struggling to like but if his offense can be anywhere as good and be less ballhoggy, then I’m open to it. He is a really interesting point forward option for us.

pad300
05-18-2022, 09:29 PM
Williams fans, a question: what does he do better than Kessler?

Shoot FT's (.727 vs .596) (this is important WRT to predicting who's jumpshot will develop)
Shoot 2FG's (.723 vs .702)

Dejounte
05-18-2022, 09:34 PM
https://twitter.com/dmurrayhoops/status/1526998443796877312?s

The Truth #6
05-18-2022, 09:53 PM
https://twitter.com/dmurrayhoops/status/1526998443796877312?s

That’s going to help his stock immensely. Meanwhile the Spurs FO is wondering: “Do either of his parents have advanced college degrees?”

heyheymymy
05-19-2022, 12:29 AM
haha yeah who the parents are shouldn't and doesn't really matter but after Kawhi I could see the Spurs having an upgraded personality test that considers stuff like that to a degree more than they used to. Leonard was influenced by inner circle family after all. Not my hill to die on but I wouldn't blame Front Office for being sensitive to that if they are and eyeing family/entourage to gauge for such tendencies and being more selective based on that. Spurs seem to consider off court stuff a bit more already anyway right?

Uriel
05-19-2022, 12:34 AM
If the rumors are true that Houston is open to trading #3, and since it is likely Banchero will be available at that spot, what kind of package would they accept?

#9, #20 and Keldon Johnson for #3?

Bellboy
05-19-2022, 12:35 AM
Two guards and a midget PF :lmao

That would be a very Spursy draft

Somebody buy this Front Office a measuring Tape longer than 79 inches please

jjspur
05-19-2022, 08:58 AM
Different day. Vassell played as a rookie, over 1000 minutes in a 72 game season. Primo played almost 1000:this year. You people need some new material.
Like I said with a few exceptions. Lets not forget Lonnie's 117 total minutes his first season, or Keldon's 300 minutes, or current all star Murray's 321 minutes. Yeah it's a different day but when you're the 11th and 12th pick you should be playing some meaningful minutes.

KingKev
05-19-2022, 09:04 AM
If the rumors are true that Houston is open to trading #3, and since it is likely Banchero will be available at that spot, what kind of package would they accept?

Probably not enough. I think it’d be DJ and an FRP which is too much.

rascal
05-19-2022, 09:06 AM
haha yeah who the parents are shouldn't and doesn't really matter but after Kawhi I could see the Spurs having an upgraded personality test that considers stuff like that to a degree more than they used to. Leonard was influenced by inner circle family after all. Not my hill to die on but I wouldn't blame Front Office for being sensitive to that if they are and eyeing family/entourage to gauge for such tendencies and being more selective based on that. Spurs seem to consider off court stuff a bit more already anyway right?

The front office has to get rid of this overly conservative sensitive thinking.

Drom John
05-19-2022, 11:14 AM
Fox Sports | NBA Mock Draft: Jabari Smith to Orlando Magic at No. 1
Jason McIntyre, 18 hours ago, AKA 18 May 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: AJ Griffin, F, Duke

Griffin turns 19 in August, his dad played in the NBA, and as a 44% 3-point shooter, he will fit perfectly into this offense. But his injury history could cause him to slide out of the top 10.

20. San Antonio Spurs: Nikola Jovic, F, Serbia

In the NFL, the Patriots and Belichick trade down. In the NBA, the Spurs and Popovich historically have drafted and stashed Europeans. That has tailed off in recent years (once in the past six drafts), but expect to see that in June with San Antonio's three first-round picks.

25. San Antonio Spurs: Caleb Houstan, F, Michigan

One of the top high school players in America didn’t have the awesome season many expected, but he’s one of five or six players in the first round who are about 6-foot-8 and can toggle between the 3 and 4, and he shot 35% on 3-pointers.

Drom John
05-19-2022, 11:19 AM
NBA Draft.net | 2022 NBA Extended Mock Draft: 6.0
Derek Best, 16 hours ago, AKA 18 May 2022

9. San Antonio: AJ Griffin 6-6 220 SF Duke Fr.

After a back injury limited Griffin to begin the season, he exploded onto the scene for the Blue Devils once he finally got healthy. The freshman forward hovered around 50% from 3-point range before a late season slump and used his solid frame to score in the lane and defend with strength. With an extremely high floor and the ability to contribute immediately to whoever drafts him, Griffin has moved up boards and figures to settle into the top 10

Why the Spurs take Griffin: The 6’6 freshman forward is receiving looks as high as fifth in this draft making this great value for the Spurs. They made the fifth fewest threes per game this past season and AJ Griffin made a living from the outside in his lone season with the Blue Devils. His threat from the outside will do wonders from a floor spacing perspective and allow the talented young players around him to have space to go get their own shot knowing that Griffin will be there for them to kick it out and still get a great look.

NBA Comparison: Jamal Mashburn

20. San Antonio (via TOR): Jaden Hardy 6-4 200 SG G-League Ignite Fr.

The former top-five recruit struggled mightily to start his G-League Ignite career, which caused him to drop outside of the lottery and into the mid-late first round. As the season went on, Hardy started to impress and showed why he was such a highly touted recruit coming out of high school. The 6’4 combo guard is a phenomenal slasher and certainly has the range to be successful from the perimeter at the next level.

Why the Spurs take Hardy: They showed last season that they aren’t afraid to pick the high-upside project player when they selected Joshua Primo in the lottery, so it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them do something similar here at 20. A backcourt with Dejounte Murray and Hardy is one that could shine for many years if they both play up to their potential.

NBA Comparison: Buddy Hield

25. San Antonio (via BOS): Jalen Williams 6-6 195 SG/SF Santa Clara Jr.

Although he lacks speed, Williams is a bulky wing with shot-creating skills who can work in the backcourt as a primary initiator or as an off-ball threat from the wing. He is versatile on both ends of the floor and proved to be an exceptional scorer as the star player for Santa Clara in his junior season in the WCC. This is a name to track throughout the pre-draft process as he attempts to prove that he can play with the top competition in the nation.

Why the Spurs take Williams: They have plenty of young, talented wings but Lonnie Walker and Joe Wieskamp are restricted free agents this offseason. Dejounte Murray will warrant quite an extension with only two years on his current deal remaining, and any player of this caliber that you can control on a rookie contract saves the salary cap for bigger players to build around Murray. Williams has a lot of versatility and fits as a Spurs type of player with his great intangibles.

NBA Comparison: Shake Milton

38. San Antonio (via LAL): Wendell Moore 6-5 215 SG/SF Duke Jr.

Much like his teammate Keels, Moore is a powerful driver and tremendous playmaker with the versatility to run the point or play as a secondary initiator on the wing. After struggling for two seasons on the perimeter, Moore put in the work this summer to become a consistent threat on the outside and reaps the benefits here as an early second round pick who could easily climb into the first round.

Mr. Body
05-19-2022, 11:19 AM
Fox Sports | NBA Mock Draft: Jabari Smith to Orlando Magic at No. 1
Jason McIntyre, 18 hours ago, AKA 18 May 2022

Fox Sports with easily the shittiest draft imaginable, Griffin, Jovic, Houstan. Who even needs to play defense?

Drom John
05-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Audacy | 2022 NBA mock draft: Gonzaga's Chet Holmgren becomes the next great big man in Orlando
Jasper Jones, a day ago, AKA 18 May 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Dyson Daniels, G - Ignite

20. San Antonio Spurs: Nikola Jovic, F - Mega Basket

25. San Antonio Spurs: Christian Braun, F - Kansas

Drom John
05-19-2022, 11:27 AM
TalkBasket.net | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Vol. 1
Paul Terrazzano Jr., May 18, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Nikola Jovic
The Spurs’ international draft history makes me convinced they’ll select top overseas prospect Nikola Jovic at #9.

rjv
05-19-2022, 11:32 AM
TalkBasket.net | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Vol. 1
Paul Terrazzano Jr., May 18, 2022

if the spurs pick novic at #9, this place will implode. (and rightfully so)

Drom John
05-19-2022, 11:37 AM
TWSN | Post Lottery 2022 NBA Mock Draft 1.0
Will Locklin, May 19, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: AJ Griffin

-Griffin has seen a slide on consensus boards because of concerns in his medical profile. Griffin has had knee problems in the past but was able to showcase his skills at Duke. San Antonio could use a boom or bust kind of prospect. Griffin is the best shooter in this class and has some serious flash off the bounce. He can be slotted in as a big two-guard or traditional wing. The Spurs don’t have a particularly strong direction as a team right now which is all the more reason to take a strong upside play in Griffin.

20. San Antonio Spurs: MarJon Beauchamp

25. San Antonio Spurs: Jean Montero

rascal
05-19-2022, 11:40 AM
if the spurs pick novic at #9, this place will implode. (and rightfully so)

Draft projections keep getting worse for the Spurs.

Mr. Body
05-19-2022, 11:40 AM
Fuck this AJ Griffin shit. Lol, these mock drafters just wanting to stick him somewhere.

rascal
05-19-2022, 11:41 AM
Fuck this AJ Griffin shit. Lol, these mock drafters just wanting to stick him somewhere.

Yeah, want no part of Griffin.

Drom John
05-19-2022, 11:45 AM
At the Hive | At The Hive’s 2022 NBA Mock Draft: the lottery-and-two
Chase Whitney, May 19, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs – Keegan Murray, F, Iowa

San Antonio could combine a couple of their three first-rounders this year to move up for Duren given their lack of depth behind Jakob Poeltl, but Murray is a nice consolation if the price isn’t right. He’d be surrounded by athletic defenders that can cover for him if needed and he’d be able to play off of Dejounte Murray and Keldon Johnson’s attacking.

*edited to directly attribute At the Hive and Whitney and to the At the Hive title.

rascal
05-19-2022, 11:45 AM
The 9th pick can be a tough spot unless a team or two reaches for a player and causes someone to fall to the spurs.

Which team drafting ahead of the Spurs is most likely to reach for a player out of team need?

Drom John
05-19-2022, 11:50 AM
DefPen | Def Pen Sports’ 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Post Draft Lottery
Dylan Hargis, May 19, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs- Tari Eason, F, LSU Tigers

The San Antonio Spurs are all about building a contender over the next few years and to do that they need talent they can develop. Tari Eason is a great defender that needs some work on the offensive end. A match made in basketball heaven.

20. San Antonio Spurs- Walker Kessler, C, Auburn Tigers

The San Antonio Spurs center situation could use some work and considering their value on defense, Walker Kessler makes sense with this selection of the 2022 NBA Mock Draft. The offense will need more than a little work in the NBA.

25. San Antonio Spurs- EJ Liddell, F, Ohio State Buckeyes

The Spurs have had a very good mock draft thus far and they close out their first-round selections with an experienced forward to continue to add to their depth down low. There will be an odd man out on the roster, but there are worse problems to have.

Ariel
05-19-2022, 12:46 PM

Reading between the lines with the "open to trading" and "talent over fit" thing, the obvious interpretation is that Houston feels that, at no. 3, the best fit or consensus choice (Chet / Jabari / Banchero) may not be the best talent (possibly Ivey, less likely Sharpe), so they'd consider trading back A BIT and get a few assets while keeping their preferred choice.

If this is true, then they may not be looking to go all the way down to no. 9, but maybe 4 or 5. The Pistons are quite desperate to get into the top 2/3, and I expect them try and gain additional draft capital to move up and get a big to pair him with Cunningham, so they may be Houston's preferred trade partner.

But then again, it's my read on the situation, and there's no harm in trying. I'd definitely do what you propose if there's a chance.

BatManu20
05-19-2022, 02:28 PM
None of these mock drafts mean a damn thing until like a day before the Draft, and even then they don’t mean much. Pay them no mind tbh.

John B
05-19-2022, 02:58 PM
These are serious multi-AS caliber players at #9:

Kemba Walker, DeRozan, Iguadala, Amare, Noah, Hayward…

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/1106596c-7b9e-45c3-b5d1-efae8052841bhttps://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/59b74eca-d093-4a83-b7c2-177140a2fe81

PhantomDashCam
05-19-2022, 03:00 PM
If the Spurs do trade up, this sounds like the guy. A great read:

T Park
05-19-2022, 03:47 PM
nope

Just sayin

dbestpro
05-19-2022, 03:52 PM
Maybe send Keldon and number 9 pick to Sacramento for number 4 pick.

rascal
05-19-2022, 04:42 PM

Keldon doesn't have enough value for a team to drop from 4 to 9.
DJ + 9 may not even be enough to pull the trigger on that but that would be the offer you would need to make.

Sharpe and Ivey are on the board at 4.

Mugen
05-19-2022, 04:46 PM
That’s going to help his stock immensely. Meanwhile the Spurs FO is wondering: “Do either of his parents have advanced college degrees?”

:lol Det Culture

T Park
05-19-2022, 05:26 PM

Throw in the 20 and maybe the pick swap with Boston and that might do it.

Dejounte
05-19-2022, 05:28 PM
J Will with the 9th pick tbh

KobesAchilles
05-19-2022, 05:55 PM
I mean if all Houston wants for their 3rd pick is Murray and our 1st then you do it. The Spurs never will but they should

BatManu20
05-19-2022, 06:02 PM
Someone on Twitter posted this pic and said that the NBA ran a rehearsal lottery shuffle before the real one last night and this was the result lmao :lol :cry:cry

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTJ1tBsWUBcsHRY?format=jpg&name=large

paperboy77
05-19-2022, 06:09 PM
Hope the Spurs don't fuck around and pick someone who might be in the draft had they stayed in college three more years. So far from what I've seen....Pick that Jeremy Sochan kid. Looks like a fine replacement for KJ. Especially now that KJ is still believed to be something special, we can get something good to great in a package involving Keldon.

paperboy77
05-19-2022, 06:10 PM
I mean if all Houston wants for their 3rd pick is Murray and our 1st then you do it. The Spurs never will but they should

Maybe KJ and "others"?

KobesAchilles
05-19-2022, 06:16 PM
Maybe KJ and "others"?
The whole team is tradeable. We aren’t good enough to have an untouchable player on our roster. But it isn’t our way and I don’t expect it. Murray is our pride and joy and represents our culture as a team. I like Murray the most out of every player on the team. But if we aren’t gonna tank then I’d rather go this route, get a player like Banchero and then it forces us to tank next year as well. It restarts the team in a sense but it also resets the ceiling we can reach

Big Empty
05-19-2022, 06:28 PM
Mathurin is my #1 target outside the top 4. Dude is gonna be something special. I doubt he drops that far. Spurs are taking Mathurin/Griffin/Davis with that 9th pick in this order.

Ariel
05-19-2022, 06:57 PM
In all honesty I'm going back and forth, and I'm not entirely convinced one of Mathurin, Daniels, Davis, Jalen Williams, Sochan, Eason, Duren, Mark Willams, Branham, Dieng, is clearly above the rest. If that's the case for the FO, the optimal strategy might be to just trade back and ideally add a second player from that group (ideally at least one of them a forward), or pick up another assets in the process.

Mr. Body
05-19-2022, 07:56 PM
In all honesty I'm going back and forth, and I'm not entirely convinced one of Mathurin, Daniels, Davis, Jalen Williams, Sochan, Eason, Duren, Mark Willams, Branham, Dieng, is clearly above the rest. If that's the case for the FO, the optimal strategy might be to just trade back and ideally add a second player from that group (ideally at least one of them a forward), or pick up another assets in the process.

I'm Sochan, Mathurin, Dieng, Davis right now in that order. Not that it matters and the boards will probably change a lot. There will be a lot of things we don't know as well. I know I wouldn't want to trade back.

scott
05-19-2022, 07:57 PM
Would #9 and two unprotected future FRP's be enough to get #3 from Houston? Think they'd do it?

Mr. Body
05-19-2022, 07:59 PM
Would #9 and two unprotected future FRP's be enough to get #3 from Houston? Think they'd do it?

Yes, and the Spurs should absolutely not do that.

scott
05-19-2022, 08:04 PM
Yes, and the Spurs should absolutely not do that.

I think I'd do it (unless you're saying #9 and 1 unprotected FRP would do it) if Banchero is there. We aren't going to get an opportunity to land a PF of that quality who fits so perfectly on a rookie deal. I'd rather take the bird in the hand (Banchero) than picks #11 and #13 in the future, especially considering we are rich with draft capital. Use #20 or #25 (or both) to trade it for future FRPs to make up for the ones we are shipping out.

I'm also still holding out hope that drafting Banchero is the key to signing Lavine and the dream offseason can become a reality.

Mr. Body
05-19-2022, 08:11 PM
I think I'd do it (unless you're saying #9 and 1 unprotected FRP would do it) if Banchero is there. We aren't going to get an opportunity to land a PF of that quality who fits so perfectly on a rookie deal. I'd rather take the bird in the hand (Banchero) than picks #11 and #13 in the future, especially considering we are rich with draft capital. Use #20 or #25 (or both) to trade it for future FRPs to make up for the ones we are shipping out.

I'm also still holding out hope that drafting Banchero is the key to signing Lavine and the dream offseason can become a reality.

Banchero ain't that good, y'all. You don't trade unprotected picks for this guy. No sir.

Ariel
05-19-2022, 08:12 PM
No way in hell I'm trading next year's pick unprotected... one lightly protected (say top 4) pick + no. 20 then yes... but if we make the trade only to pick Chet, and then watch the Rockets land Wembanyama with it, I might feel suicidal.

Ariel
05-19-2022, 08:13 PM
I'm Sochan, Mathurin, Dieng, Davis right now in that order. Not that it matters and the boards will probably change a lot. There will be a lot of things we don't know as well. I know I wouldn't want to trade back.
I have no problem with your list. I like it actually. But that's not to say they're leaps and bounds above the rest.

scott
05-19-2022, 08:21 PM
No way in hell I'm trading next year's pick unprotected... one lightly protected (say top 4) pick + no. 20 then yes... but if we make the trade only to pick Chet, and then watch the Rockets land Wembanyama with it, I might feel suicidal.

I'd only do it for Banchero, but I understand the point on Wembanyama. Fair enough. I just forsee us picking around #10 forever, and taking a swing for a guy like Banchero is the only way to catapult us out of that trajectory. But I also respect Mr. Body who doesn't seem to think Banchero is that good.

Uriel
05-19-2022, 08:26 PM
Someone on Twitter posted this pic and said that the NBA ran a rehearsal lottery shuffle before the real one last night and this was the result lmao :lol :cry:cry

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTJ1tBsWUBcsHRY?format=jpg&name=large
https://i.redd.it/jebc5rsxlpw31.jpg

Ariel
05-19-2022, 08:27 PM
I'd only do it for Banchero, but I understand the point on Wembanyama. Fair enough. I just forsee us picking around #10 forever, and taking a swing for a guy like Banchero is the only way to catapult us out of that trajectory. But I also respect Mr. Body who doesn't seem to think Banchero is that good.
I'm with you on Banchero, and I agree that perpetually drafting where we are could take a long time to hit jackpot... I'd do it, just not at ANY price.

scott
05-19-2022, 08:30 PM
I'm with you on Banchero, and I agree that perpetually drafting where we are could take a long time to hit jackpot... I'd do it, just not at ANY price.

Where is the sweet spot in your opinion that could actually Houston go for it? I'd presume they'll have other offers on the table, and maybe they'd be hesitant to trade with a rival??

Uriel
05-19-2022, 08:31 PM
Banchero ain't that good, y'all. You don't trade unprotected picks for this guy. No sir.
Have you seen him play? He fits this team like a glove.

baseline bum
05-19-2022, 08:31 PM

Was kind of thinking that too for a minute, then thought maybe they trade or let Poetl walk and all of a sudden the Spurs are right at the bottom of the league with two unprotected picks gone should Banchero bust. I'd have to be convinced Banchero is another Anthony Davis level talent minus the injuries to take on that kind of risk. But Davis was a pretty sure thing pick at the time.

CGD
05-19-2022, 08:36 PM
Im starting to buy the Deing hype, at least if we’re choosing between him, Griffin, Davis, Mathurian and that tranche. Impressive tools and size, even though he’ll need a few years

Ariel
05-19-2022, 08:42 PM
Where is the sweet spot in your opinion that could actually Houston go for it? I'd presume they'll have other offers on the table, and maybe they'd be hesitant to trade with a rival??
It depends. They may be posturing, and it could just be that they're targeting Ivey or Sharpe, in which case they'd just trade back to 4 or 5 and we'd have to grossly overpay to get them to go lower.... and I'm not a fan of gutting your team and your future for any player, no matter how good. It's the whole "too many eggs in one basket" thing
But if you can get him for 9 + 20/25 + something else (like a future PROTECTED first or Keldon Johnson), then I WOULD do it. My reasoning is this: I see Banchero as a first option, multiple times all star... and it takes several tries to land someone like that, at those spots. So to land him for 3 shots at it in the draft (provided they're not top 5 or so) does not seem bad at all.

Uriel
05-19-2022, 08:48 PM
Watching tape of AJ Griffin, he seems to me exactly the kind of player that amateur draft pundits like us typically underrate.

He lacks elite size. He lacks elite athleticism. His physical measurements don’t jump off the page. In short, he doesn’t have a lot of flashy “upside.”

But man, the kid can seriously play basketball. He could be the best wing scorer on the team from day one and would be a candidate for making the All-Rookie team.

baseline bum
05-19-2022, 08:51 PM
It depends. They may be posturing, and it could just be that they're targeting Ivey or Sharpe, in which case they'd just trade back to 4 or 5 and we'd have to grossly overpay to get them to go lower.... and I'm not a fan of gutting your team and your future for any player, no matter how good. It's the whole "too many eggs in one basket" thing
But if you can get him for 9 + 20/25 + something else (like a future PROTECTED first or Keldon Johnson), then I WOULD do it. My reasoning is this: I see Banchero as a first option, multiple times all star... and it takes several tries to land someone like that, at those spots. So to land him for 3 shots at it in the draft (provided they're not top 5 or so) does not seem bad at all.

I'd love to take a shot like that, but Keldon Johnson types aren't that hard to find so doesn't really sweeten the pot for me if I'm Houston.

Ariel
05-19-2022, 08:57 PM
I'd love to take a shot like that, but Keldon Johnson types aren't that hard to find so doesn't really sweeten the pot for me if I'm Houston.
It depends on whether they REALLY like Banchero/Ivey/Sharpe (in which case they may be fishing for assets to trade back a spot or two), or they don't and think someone they could have at no. 9 is REASONABLY close. In the first case, you're not getting him no matter what. In the latter, all those extra assets are not bad compensation at all, and maybe throw in something else if you like. But the key here is not trying to get him AT ALL COSTS. Present a GOOD offer, just not mortgage your future. If they bite, awesome. If not... oh well... we'll just have to go with the longer path.