PDA

View Full Version : The Touchdown Jesus Statue of Blake Wesley

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr. Body
06-24-2022, 06:40 PM
As far as I know, Wesley's only lived in South Bend, IN -- born there and then attending Notre Dame. I hope he finds San Antonio a chill place to live.

T Park
06-24-2022, 06:47 PM
Him and Keldon are gonna get along just fine, says he loves country music

AFBlue
06-24-2022, 06:53 PM
T Park bringing the crucial insight. Sochan, unfortunately, is down with every kind of music except country. Might be a point of serious contention.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 03:08 AM
Him and Keldon are gonna get along just fine, says he loves country music

Hell yea. Makes me like him even more tbh. A man of culture.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 04:20 AM
Shows off his explosiveness here. Plays bigger than his 6’4 listing. If/when his jumper develops, this kid could be dangerous. I know we have a lot of guards but this pick was a no-brainer at 25 imo. I expect him to spend most of next season in Austin which is good.

o8HY9dnl3Is

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 06:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3-5L2Xtir0

Uriel
06-25-2022, 01:41 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Touchdown_Jesus_at_Notre_Dame.jpg/1200px-Touchdown_Jesus_at_Notre_Dame.jpg

offset formation
06-25-2022, 01:44 PM
T Park bringing the crucial insight. Sochan, unfortunately, is down with every kind of music except country. Might be a point of serious contention.

I knew I liked that guy.

T Park
06-25-2022, 01:51 PM

Sochan’s personality even seems like Diaw to the point where I don’t think anything could bother him.

Ariel
06-25-2022, 02:35 PM
I'm in, been in for months. That's not to say he's a given, or that he won't go through early struggles but, unlike Primo, the upside here is not some imaginary projection based on his character and age, he's got tremendous length, agility, speed, competitiveness, ability to get to the rim, create havoc on defense... he just needs to put it all together, pick his chances and be more efficient. If he improves as a playmaker, he's our star PG of the future. If he doesn't, at least he's a competent 2 who can defend and score off the bench and be a beast in transition. I really, really like the pick regardless of how events unfold.

Atl Spur
06-25-2022, 02:54 PM
I'm in, been in for months. That's not to say he's a given, or that he won't go through early struggles but, unlike Primo, the upside here is not some imaginary projection based on his character and age, he's got tremendous length, agility, speed, competitiveness, ability to get to the rim, create havoc on defense... he just needs to put it all together, pick his chances and be more efficient. If he improves as a playmaker, he's our star PG of the future. If he doesn't, at least he's a competent 2 who can defend and score off the bench and be a beast in transition. I really, really like the pick regardless of how events unfold.

Primo lives rent free……he’ll be fine:)

offset formation
06-25-2022, 02:56 PM
Primo lives rent free……he’ll be fine:)

Respect the defense of your guy.

offset formation
06-25-2022, 02:59 PM
You might get on the horn with PATFO though and let them know they're doing him a long-term disservice by apparently, reportedly making him play a position he's just not shown promise with which he can excel. He's a SF or wing.

Russ
06-25-2022, 03:01 PM
As far as I know, Wesley's only lived in South Bend, IN -- born there and then attending Notre Dame. I hope he finds San Antonio a chill place to live.

As legendary USC football coach John McKay once said, when asked how how he liked South Bend:

"It's great as far as bends go."

Mr. Body
06-25-2022, 03:03 PM
As legendary USC football coach John McKay once said, when asked how how he liked South Bend:

"It's great as far as bends go."

It's also in the far north of Indiana. It's all fucked up.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-25-2022, 03:59 PM
It's also in the far north of Indiana. It's all fucked up.

smells like raw sewage

hard pass

san antonio will seem like heaven to young wesley

John B
06-25-2022, 04:03 PM
Puta madre, I’m in!

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 06:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWIoRRtWYAIJUTV?format=jpg&name=large

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 06:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWIogyvXwAAeF5T?format=jpg&name=large

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2022, 07:44 PM
BETTER wear that no.14 proud...beno won 2 rings wearing that jersey

scott
06-25-2022, 07:53 PM
Wonder why he didn't stick with 0. To my knowledge, no Spur has ever worn 0, only 00 (which has been retired for awhile).

Wonder if Sochan will switch to 1 when Lonnie is officially gone.

Seventyniner
06-25-2022, 08:27 PM

Good, we needed some additions to Team Even Jersey Number.

They couldn't even field a full squad at the end of last season, it was only Vassell/Landale/Cacok.

rascal
06-25-2022, 09:10 PM
The Rookies are going to be close friends.

Having three of them at the same time is good as they can support one another.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 09:15 PM
Wonder why he didn't stick with 0. To my knowledge, no Spur has ever worn 0, only 00 (which has been retired for awhile).

Wonder if Sochan will switch to 1 when Lonnie is officially gone.

Thought the same thing when I first saw it. He wore #0 in high school too so. Who knows.

SpurSpike
06-25-2022, 09:26 PM
Maybe he cant, aren't 00 and 0 both zero? Isn't it the same#?

John B
06-25-2022, 09:37 PM

Future Big 3. They come in 3’s.

scott
06-25-2022, 09:38 PM
Maybe he cant, aren't 00 and 0 both zero? Isn't it the same#?

Who knows? My only frame of reference is 2K, where 0 and 00 are different numbers... but it's 2K... so not really a reliable source of info :lol

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 09:53 PM
​00 and 0 are definitely different numbers, so long as no two players on the same team have them at the same time. Here’s what I found.

The league's rules behind jersey number selection are pretty straightforward: players can wear any number combination between 00 and 99—almost. The one number not allowed is 69 for . . . obvious reasons. The NBA can thank rebounding great and Hall-of-Famer Dennis Rodman for this little wrinkle. Aug 3, 2021

KingKev
06-26-2022, 05:31 AM
Shows off his explosiveness here. Plays bigger than his 6’4 listing. If/when his jumper develops, this kid could be dangerous. I know we have a lot of guards but this pick was a no-brainer at 25 imo. I expect him to spend most of next season in Austin which is good.

o8HY9dnl3Is

Chad and Thomas can’t hold him!!!

venitian navigator
06-26-2022, 06:52 AM
Wasn't the 10 Rodman s number with us? Sure by the different colors of his head and phisically too Sochan looks like him...

offset formation
06-26-2022, 08:13 AM
See that Wesley says he's not a fan of the heat and likes snow. Good luck with that in SA, chief.

And kind of off-topic, but does anyone of you know the financial side or have any thoughts on potentially having three rooks needing contract extensions at the same time, if they all show out? I mean it's feasible we have Ayton on the last year or two of a max, Dejounte on a costly extension, with Vassell, KJ, & Primo etc. on big extensions just as these cats are hitting their first rookie extensions. Seems untenable to me but I'm admittedly not a contract guy

Seems like the financial side is going to hamstring this teams capabilities in 4 yrs.

This likely won't be a repeat of the era of Duncan, Parker. and Ginobili signing team-friendly contracts.

Kurik
06-26-2022, 09:59 AM
See that Wesley says he's not a fan of the heat and likes snow. Good luck with that in SA, chief.

And kind of off-topic, but does anyone of you know the financial side or have any thoughts on potentially having three rooks needing contract extensions at the same time, if they all show out? I mean it's feasible we have Ayton on the last year or two of a max, Dejounte on a costly extension, with Vassell, KJ, & Primo etc. on big extensions just as these cats are hitting their first rookie extensions. Seems untenable to me but I'm admittedly not a contract guy

Seems like the financial side is going to hamstring this teams capabilities in 4 yrs.

This likely won't be a repeat of the era of Duncan, Parker. and Ginobili signing team-friendly contracts.

Its only a problem if all 3 reach their potential or at least some of it which is a good problem to have. If the Spurs end up in a situation where they can’t afford all of them they can always trade one for capital like they did with White and just repeat the cycle.

RC_Drunkford
06-26-2022, 09:59 AM

the first extension is usually very good value, just look at DJ. I don't see that as a problem. The 2nd will be hard and players might leave

Ariel
06-26-2022, 11:01 AM
the first extension is usually very good value, just look at DJ. I don't see that as a problem. The 2nd will be hard and players might leave
Yes, plus it's a GREAT problem to have, because it means they all panned out. Worst case scenario, you trade one of them to balance the roster. But I think it's very unlikely we're talking to big extensions to all three plus Primo.

Ariel
06-26-2022, 11:09 AM

That's part of the lifecycle of a winning team, but if we get there it's because all three did well, and just flip one for other assets or value, OKC style. Keeping a quota of young talent on rookie contracts at all times is a great way to remain flexible and fuel a multi year run for a contender. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here, that's a best case scenario.

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 06:48 PM
Here are the picks between Malaki at 20 and Blake Wesley:

Christian Braun
Walker Kessler
David Roddy
MarJon Beauchamp

Eh...

Ariel
06-26-2022, 06:56 PM
That range consists of teams that are trying to compete now, Wesley is too raw for them to take him. He probably had a higher chance to go 15-20 than 20-25.

Dejounte
06-26-2022, 07:09 PM
It sounds like this dude is going to get into fights in practice with how competitive he is. It will only elevate the rest of the team to work harder.

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 12:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H00_A9JRvqo

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 12:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOgLXRsyoy8

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 10:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE7f9poz7d0

Extensive examination of Wesley's 'advantage creation' abilities, namely his speed and ability to shift gears. The analyst talks about a lack of vertical explosiveness (Wesley's advantage is horizontal in space) and miserable finishing stats. But is really high on the foundation and says, pre-draft, that he'd take Wesley in the lottery. Basically, if the kid can solve some of his finishing issues he's a major weapon, as he's unstoppable getting into the lane.

The Truth #6
06-29-2022, 11:17 AM
Chad and Thomas can’t hold him!!!

He's destroying that slow, short white guy. Just killing him!

Ariel
06-29-2022, 11:59 AM
Well, yeah, that's the caveat... he's raw. Otherwise he'd go as high as Ivey. We had 3 picks, it makes all the sense in the world to use 25 on a high risk, high reward player. There were certainly players with a higher floor taken behind him, but not many (if any) with as high a ceiling as him. He grew up with Ivey, he measures up. Seems like a great kid, and the Spurs have the staff to help him get there, we just have to be a little patient with him, more so than Sochan -immediate impact- and Branham -probably already productive this season-. I think he's totally worth it.

emanueldavidginobili
06-30-2022, 02:36 PM

Ocotillo
06-30-2022, 02:56 PM
^^If the team really is going to tank Blake may be seeing more time with the big squad rather than the Austin Spurs.

Ice009
06-30-2022, 09:12 PM
If Blake plays good defense, I'd rather the Spurs just play him rather than send him to Austin. I'd rather he work on his offense in the NBA against NBA caliber players. He's an exciting prospect.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 09:36 PM
Wesley nearly has the same skillset as Murray. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to build him the same way. He has the same turnaround J that Murray has though obviously not as polished. Wesley is more explosive getting to the rim. He also gets a lot of steals from passing lanes and picks the pocket from whoever he’s defending.

But most of all, he’s the rook I wouldn’t bet against out of the three of them. Stories of him getting upset that other players getting more attention and that driving him to an extra gear makes him an X factor. There really is a chance for him to become something special, perhaps sooner than expected because of his physical tools. It’s the mental stuff that he’s got to get down. Hopefully he’s not a dumb player and picks things up fast.

Ariel
06-30-2022, 10:05 PM
But most of all, he’s the rook I wouldn’t bet against out of the three of them. Stories of him getting upset that other players getting more attention and that driving him to an extra gear makes him an X factor. There really is a chance for him to become something special, perhaps sooner than expected because of his physical tools. It’s the mental stuff that he’s got to get down. Hopefully he’s not a dumb player and picks things up fast.
Definitely. He sounds like a great kid, but underlying there's a mean streak. You can tell he's super competitive, and he knows he's got what it takes. He grew up playing against Ivey, that's a blessing. This guy not only knows he has what it takes, he knows what he needs to do to get there. Talented, coachable and competitive. I love this kid.

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 11:00 PM
CfKPdvNr_mX

Dejounte
06-30-2022, 11:03 PM
CfMi5NgAcdz

Dejounte
07-02-2022, 04:07 PM
So I’ve been wrestling with what positional designator I should assign to Wesley

there’s
G = ball handling capabilities with facilitating skills, can guard 1’s and 2’s only. Basically, this is Murray or Tre.

G/W = same as G, but can also either defend 3’s or has offball shooting skills. Basically Primo.

W = defends 2’s and 3’s and has offball shooting skills. No facilitating skills. Usually not quick enough to guard 1’s for long periods. Basically Vassell or JRich.

watching lots of footage of Blake and it looks like he primarily defends 1’s and 2’s. My suspicion of why he exclusively only defends those two positions is due to his thin frame - same reason DJ rarely matched up with 3’s. Before anyone says Wesley can bulk up— well, DJ had many years to bulk up if the team wanted him to expand his versatility on defense but he didn’t. Sometimes you’re limited to what your frame is.

Wesley is not utilized much as an offball shooter.

so my conclusion is his designator is a G alongside Tre Jones.

G - Tre Jones
G - Blake Wesley
G/W - Josh Primo
G/W - Kyler Edwards (X-10)
W - Vassell
W - Josh Richardson
W - Malaki Branham
W - Wieskamp
W - Romeo Langford
F - Keldon Johnson
F - McDermott
F - Dominick Barlow (2W)
F/C - Jeremy Sochan
F/C - KBD
F/C - Cacok
C - Poeltl
C - Z. Collins

Dejounte
07-02-2022, 04:20 PM
Judging from the depth behind each position and who I think the Spurs see as the future under the W position (Vassell, Branham, Wieskamp). I think JRich and Langford are the odd men out and should be consolidated out (along with Poeltl for added trade value) to get another G and have the team commit to playing our F/C guys (Sochan, KBD, Cacok) as the C in lineups. Those lineups were quite effective last year when KBD was playing C. I’m not saying it as a full time thing. But whenever the opposing team plays small, which is quite frequent.

offset formation
07-02-2022, 04:21 PM
Vassell is also a SG/W
Richardson is a SG/W
Malaki with his quickness could probably fit at SG some at 6'5" but is probably a W
Keldon is a W, but obviously being played as F. He certainly fits better as a W.

Dejounte
07-02-2022, 04:25 PM
Vassell is also a SG/W
Richardson is a SG/W
Malaki with his quickness could probably fit at SG some at 6'5" but is probably a W
Keldon is a W, but obviously being played as F. He certainly fits better as a W.

Maybe I should clarify my terms here because youre basically saying the same thing

my W means 2 and 3. It doesnt mean just the 3.

when I say Keldon is a F, it means he’s a 3 and 4. He doesn’t have the foot speed to match up with 2’s. Before anybody freaks about Keldon being called a 4, I do think he will spend less time there next season and more time at the 3.

offset formation
07-02-2022, 04:26 PM
Maybe I should clarify my terms here because youre basically saying the same thing

my W means 2 and 3. It doesnt mean just the 3.

when I say Keldon is a F, it means he’s a 3 and 4. He doesn’t have the foot speed to match up with 2’s. Before anybody freaks about Keldon being called a 4, I do think he will spend less time there next season and more time at the 3.

Ah, then we're on the same page. well done

Dejounte
07-02-2022, 04:31 PM
G - 1/2
W - 2/3
F - 3/4
C - 5 (hence why players with strictly this designator are very limiting to today’s idea of versatility)

MannyIsGod
07-02-2022, 04:32 PM
^^If the team really is going to tank Blake may be seeing more time with the big squad rather than the Austin Spurs.

None of our draft picks should even sniff Austin this year.

Ocotillo
07-02-2022, 06:14 PM

Agreed. My reaction was after the Murray trade, when initially drafted, some speculation was Wesley needed the most development of the three picks and would be in Austin most of the season. Now, he should be running with the big squad.

TD 21
07-02-2022, 06:35 PM
So I’ve been wrestling with what positional designator I should assign to Wesley

there’s
G = ball handling capabilities with facilitating skills, can guard 1’s and 2’s only. Basically, this is Murray or Tre.

G/W = same as G, but can also either defend 3’s or has offball shooting skills. Basically Primo.

W = defends 2’s and 3’s and has offball shooting skills. No facilitating skills. Usually not quick enough to guard 1’s for long periods. Basically Vassell or JRich.

watching lots of footage of Blake and it looks like he primarily defends 1’s and 2’s. My suspicion of why he exclusively only defends those two positions is due to his thin frame - same reason DJ rarely matched up with 3’s. Before anyone says Wesley can bulk up— well, DJ had many years to bulk up if the team wanted him to expand his versatility on defense but he didn’t. Sometimes you’re limited to what your frame is.

G - Tre Jones
G - Blake Wesley
G/W - Josh Primo
W - Vassell
W - Josh Richardson
W - Malaki Branham
W - Wieskamp
W - Romeo Langford
F - Keldon Johnson
F - McDermott
F - Dominick Barlow (2W)
F/C - Jeremy Sochan
F/C - KBD
F/C - Cacok
C - Poeltl
C - Z. Collins

Based on this classification, I'd go: Richardson and Branham as G/W, Barlow as F/C, Sochan and Bates-Diop as F and Cacok as C/F.

Dex
07-02-2022, 06:46 PM
Agreed. My reaction was after the Murray trade, when initially drafted, some speculation was Wesley needed the most development of the three picks and would be in Austin most of the season. Now, he should be running with the big squad.

Only so many minutes to go around though. What is better for a young player.....12MPG off the bench in SA, or 30MPG as a starter in Austin?

Dejounte
07-02-2022, 06:48 PM
Based on this classification, I'd go: Richardson and Branham as G/W, Barlow as F/C, Sochan and Bates-Diop as F and Cacok as C/F.

adding “G” to JRich and Branham means they can/will either 1) spend more than average time ball handling and facilitating or 2) spend more than average time defending the quickest guards (usually the point guard) in the league

This is what you see those two doing? Not arguing, just want to make sure there’s no misunderstanding.

Barlow - fair enough. I was going back and forth myself in another thread on if he will play any C. On offense, he’s basically a catch and shoot player and not one that operates in the post. On defense, I’m not sure.

Sochan and KBD - I didn’t really define the classification for C so you might have your justification for not labeling them as such. Regardless, you don’t see them playing any small ball C when the situation demands it? That’s basically my logic behind the PF/C. Like, Keldon has been rarely used as the 5 on the floor but we’ve seen KBD do it even if one argues that he shouldn’t.

Cacok - I understand why you flipped it, but we’re on the same page here.

TD 21
07-02-2022, 08:28 PM
adding “G” to JRich and Branham means they can/will either 1) spend more than average time ball handling and facilitating or 2) spend more than average time defending the quickest guards (usually the point guard) in the league

This is what you see those two doing? Not arguing, just want to make sure there’s no misunderstanding.

Barlow - fair enough. I was going back and forth myself in another thread on if he will play any C. On offense, he’s basically a catch and shoot player and not one that operates in the post. On defense, I’m not sure.

Sochan and KBD - I didn’t really define the classification for C so you might have your justification for not labeling them as such. Regardless, you don’t see them playing any small ball C when the situation demands it? That’s basically my logic behind the PF/C. Like, Keldon has been rarely used as the 5 on the floor but we’ve seen KBD do it even if one argues that he shouldn’t.

Cacok - I understand why you flipped it, but we’re on the same page here.

Yeah, but I also base it more on ideal role in the league in general than specific to team context.

Less certain on Barlow, just a hunch.

Sure, Sochan at the very least probably will, I just don't think he can do so credibly because of the lack of rim protection and defensive rebounding.

MannyIsGod
07-02-2022, 09:11 PM
Only so many minutes to go around though. What is better for a young player.....12MPG off the bench in SA, or 30MPG as a starter in Austin?

No reason all of our rookies shouldn't be play 20+ mpg.

The Truth #6
07-02-2022, 09:32 PM
I see Blake playing the least out of the rookies. I see him in Austin, getting the typical treatment.

Ice009
07-02-2022, 09:40 PM
I see Blake playing the least out of the rookies. I see him in Austin, getting the typical treatment.

If he's destroying people in practice, there is no reason for him to be in Austin. Just because he's young, that doesn't mean he has to play there. He can learn in the NBA better IMO.

The Truth #6
07-02-2022, 09:44 PM
Hey, I hope he plays on the big club, but it's hard for me to overlook years of precedence of rookies starting out in Austin. He's fairly raw. I have more faith in Branham getting early minutes.

PhantomDashCam
07-02-2022, 11:43 PM

I disagree with this guys.

You want to send Wesley to Austin to give him experience as a dedicated primary. He (most likely), won’t get that opportunity with the big club right away. It also keeps the pipeline functioning from a developmental standpoint.

When Wright talked about the three rooks it was suggested that they were all on different developmental trajectories.
He’s the rawest but I would argue also has the most upside long term. Give him as many reps as possible and then hopefully graduate to the Spurs once that season is complete.
Also with Wesley’s supposed dogged tenacity, he may view the G League as a perceived slight, hopefully adding fuel to an already smouldering powder keg.

Austin is still very much a business and integral to the Spurs long term development. This extends to coaches as well, who need to have experience dealing with NBA calibre talent on the daily.

rankingtear
07-03-2022, 01:34 AM
Wesley is a domestic stash guy at least pre draft. But things can change in training camp and preseason.

scott
07-03-2022, 02:58 AM

I originally thought this, but I think Wesley could benefit from the kind of treatment Primo got last year. First half of the season in Austin, with occasional call ups, closing out the season with some significant minutes with the big club. Branham should get more of a Vassell-like treatment, and Sochan should be a Day 1 starter, IMO.

John B
07-03-2022, 03:35 AM
I disagree with this guys.

You want to send Wesley to Austin to give him experience as a dedicated primary. He (most likely), won’t get that opportunity with the big club right away. It also keeps the pipeline functioning from a developmental standpoint.

When Wright talked about the three rooks it was suggested that they were all on different developmental trajectories.
He’s the rawest but I would argue also has the most upside long term. Give him as many reps as possible and then hopefully graduate to the Spurs once that season is complete.
Also with Wesley’s supposed dogged tenacity, he may view the G League as a perceived slight, hopefully adding fuel to an already smouldering powder keg.

Austin is still very much a business and integral to the Spurs long term development. This extends to coaches as well, who need to have experience dealing with NBA calibre talent on the daily.

I agree mostly, except to me Sochan will have the highest upsides because of his role on both sides of the court.

But I agree that Wesley could be a freak athletic scorer, again I hate to compare but to make it simple, Ja Morant type. He has that mentality and edge. That part both excites and worries me, because he is ultra-competitive. I’m sure he’s the one they alluded to when they had to separate people in the workout. His interview says and without reservation, I was the best player in there! Fuck, that’s a-hole level confidence.

John B
07-03-2022, 04:44 AM
Just to clarify the “a-hole type confidence.” I like it :lol He feels he’s the best in the court. That’s alpha mentality and that’s special. And that “a-hole type” I normally associate with greats like Bird, Kobe, MJ, even TP to some degree. I admit I didn’t watch a lot of Wesley. I was fixated with Davis as an ultra-competitive player I like the Spurs to have as a closer, which they are missing. But if anyone is going to make me move on, fuckin Wesley would :lol I don’t think this guy would hesitate.

ace3g
07-03-2022, 06:49 PM
Spurs draftee Blake Wesley: ‘I model my game after Jordan Poole and Caris LeVert’
Spurs draftee Blake Wesley: ‘I model my game after Jordan Poole and Caris LeVert’ (yahoo.com) (https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-draftee-blake-wesley-model-115116562.html?src=rss)

Leetonidas
07-03-2022, 06:51 PM
What a random combo of players to emulate

mo7888
07-03-2022, 06:57 PM

there’s

G - Tre Jones
G - Blake Wesley
G/W - Josh Primo
W - Vassell
W - Josh Richardson
W - Malaki Branham
W - Wieskamp
W - Romeo Langford
F - Keldon Johnson
F - McDermott
F - Dominick Barlow (2W)
F/C - Jeremy Sochan
F/C - KBD
F/C - Cacok
C - Poeltl
C - Z. Collins

I like it...my only change would be Barlow as F/C..

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2022, 07:06 PM
Spurs draftee Blake Wesley: ‘I model my game after Jordan Poole and Caris LeVert’

Spurs draftee Blake Wesley: ‘I model my game after Jordan Poole and Caris LeVert’ (yahoo.com) (https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-draftee-blake-wesley-model-115116562.html?src=rss)

he's not a culture fit. We have to trade him

Mr. Body
07-03-2022, 07:14 PM

Jordan Poole and Caris Lavert both went to U. of Michigan. I wonder if South Bend is within range of picking up their games.

Dejounte
07-03-2022, 07:24 PM

the writer mentioned D Mitchell as a comp for Wesley. Same comp i used during pre-draft along with Wade.

PhantomDashCam
07-03-2022, 07:28 PM
...Do you see yourself eventually getting to the level of a shooter Jordan Poole is?

BW: Oh yeah, for sure. I mean I’m not there yet. I’m still learning to be a better shooter. That’s my goal to be a great shooter like him.

It's this rare combination of confidence and humility that really excites me.
You take a guy at his word like this who says he was the best at a workout for SA, then gets drafted by them...

Mathurin may be the better prospect right now but saying things like he'll be the best player in the NBA in five years, and LeBron has to prove to me he's that good, just irks me tbh.

ace3g
07-03-2022, 11:00 PM
https://twitter.com/Casey_Viera/status/1543784082525638659

Ice009
07-03-2022, 11:06 PM

Maybe they're from the same area? Otherwise, like you said, I have no idea why he'd model his game after them.

Mr. Body
07-03-2022, 11:39 PM
Maybe they're from the same area? Otherwise, like you said, I have no idea why he'd model his game after them.

Do people not read? I literally pointed out they both went to Michigan. South Bend is on the border of Michigan and Wesley likely watched them from there.

ace3g
07-03-2022, 11:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVND0TcNQVM

ace3g
07-03-2022, 11:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0XwMUGUisU

Ice009
07-04-2022, 10:12 AM
Do people not read? I literally pointed out they both went to Michigan. South Bend is on the border of Michigan and Wesley likely watched them from there.

Sorry, I'm not in the US and didn't look up the geographical locations. Thanks for the information.

bluebellmaniac
07-04-2022, 12:09 PM

Such a mystery as to why he looks up to them...

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 01:37 PM
Post I made on 4/20/22

Blake Wesley is a similar prospect to when DJ Murray came out. Both share a borderline street baller aesthetic to their game. Like Murray used to be, Wesley plays very loose and could use a lot of refinement. With strict coaching and a decent developmental program, he could turn out into something special. I think he’s the pick with one of our later first rounders if they are kept.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299749&page=4

I’m focused on his passing skills rn and watching a lot of footage on that. So far, I see a lot of “set-up” type assists. There are two types of assists in my mind: 1) set up and 2) window of opportunity. True point guards (or past Spur point guards) perform a lot of the former.

Dverde
07-05-2022, 12:07 PM
He signed his rookie deal today. Officially a Spur

The Truth #6
07-05-2022, 12:33 PM
Excited to see where he’s at. I expect him to need a lot of improvement, and I’m sure we are all overhyping him because he’s the new latest thing, but hey, we really need him to make it. So fingers crossed.

John B
07-05-2022, 12:39 PM
Primo, Tre and then Wesley…. for now. But this kid is highly competitive :lol

Atl Spur
07-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Primo, Tre and then Wesley…. for now. But this kid is highly competitive :lol

You can’t teach that…… I’d run with this:)

Ocotillo
07-05-2022, 01:20 PM
Is he Klutch? :drunk

Atl Spur
07-05-2022, 01:27 PM

Be it CAA, Klutch, etc…. They will all do what’s best for their client.

John B
07-05-2022, 01:29 PM

Did you hear about the workout with Malaki? And the interview after? This kid not only wants the ball, he’s not shy about it. It’s gonna be a fun SL :lol

The Truth #6
07-05-2022, 01:32 PM
It’s probably a lot easier to be competitive in an unstructured 3 on 3 tryout. Let’s see if he can process the game and make improvements. And at least he’s aware of his biggest weakness, being horrible at finishing at the rim, because, to be honest, I really don’t want him to be another Lonnie Walker. Walker seemed to have problems even understanding that he sucked at getting at the rim, explaining that this is how he was taught etc.

Mr. Body
07-05-2022, 01:36 PM
Be it CAA, Klutch, etc…. They will all do what’s best for their client.

I wouldn't say Klutch does what's best for their client. That's not really true. They also operate otherwise in ways other agencies don't.

Ariel
07-05-2022, 01:45 PM
I'm really looking forward to watching our 2022 rookie class. But keep in mind, Wesley is not as polished as Sochan or Branham... he's likely going to face serious efficiency struggles early on, but with the raw tools he has, he'll be a heck of a player before he's 21.

The Truth #6
07-05-2022, 01:55 PM
Klutch has involved somewhat, supposedly at least. I think in the beginning it is fair to say that it was basically LeBron's puppet agency and seemed to focus solely on helping him, and they blurred ethical lines. It definitely seems to prioritize higher end clients, and obviously LeBron more than anyone, but I think they’ve branched out and it’s become somewhat more of just a generally shitty agency like everybody else.

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 01:57 PM
people are getting excited about his defense because of a still photo of him guarding primo who wasnt even good last year? :lol

lets at least wait until summer league

The Truth #6
07-05-2022, 03:01 PM
people are getting excited about his defense because of a still photo of him guarding primo who wasnt even good last year? :lol

lets at least wait until summer league

It’s a fair point. He could be the most loved or hated player from our three picks. To me he has a wide range of outcomes. Every year we go through this. Last year it Landale who was going to bring toughness to our team! A year later he’s gone with no one barely noticing.

Dejounte
07-07-2022, 08:48 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnconsciousPleasingGermanshorthairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ConcernedFarFox-size_restricted.gif

ladies and gents, meet your future Spurs starting point guard.

Atl Spur
07-07-2022, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't say Klutch does what's best for their client. That's not really true. They also operate otherwise in ways other agencies don't.

Ok bro…. It’s funny how some stuff is baked into the human psyche! If they were not on their shit, people wouldn’t sign….. this ain’t Death Row Records!

Mr. Body
07-07-2022, 09:31 PM
Ok bro…. It’s funny how some stuff is baked into the human psyche! If they were not on their shit, people wouldn’t sign….. this ain’t Death Row Records!

Klutch brain.

Atl Spur
07-07-2022, 10:40 PM
Klutch brain.

Losing respect for you…..

Atl Spur
07-07-2022, 10:41 PM
Numbers in this case don’t lie…..people do!

Mr. Body
07-07-2022, 10:41 PM
Losing respect for you…..

I don't even know who you are.

Atl Spur
07-07-2022, 11:33 PM
I don't even know who you are.

Cool

Dejounte
07-07-2022, 11:36 PM
Cool

Dude you dont need to reply to everything

Atl Spur
07-08-2022, 12:38 AM
Dude you dont need to reply to everything

Hmmmm……. I’ll consider it case by case but I appreciate your concern.

KingKev
07-08-2022, 04:36 AM
Fuck Klutch as a staff, an agency and a MF crew.

Seriously though, all this Klutch hate but I don’t think they are the enemies but even if they are its an evil you pribably have to deal with. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Atl Spur
07-08-2022, 08:07 AM
My point is, there are tons of agency’s out there to choose from but klutch is the issue? Got it��. MF’s just mad a league that’s predominantly minority dominant has an agency that’s headed by black people! You clowns can’t name a CAA ( or other agency ) player or deal that has rubbed you the wrong way that evokes the vitriol of Klutch brand! All these players need to do what’s best for them because most teams do/will…..it’s a business!! Never personal :)

Atl Spur
07-08-2022, 08:12 AM
Klutch ( or any other agency ) can’t do ANYTHING the NBA doesn’t allow them to…..

Atl Spur
07-08-2022, 08:13 AM
Fuck Klutch as a staff, an agency and a MF crew.

Seriously though, all this Klutch hate but I don’t think they are the enemies but even if they are its an evil you pribably have to deal with. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

You are stupid!!! Lol

KingKev
07-08-2022, 10:29 AM
You are stupid!!! Lol

Lol I was actually half agreeing with you as I have no problem with Klutch.

KingKev
07-08-2022, 10:50 AM
You are stupid!!! Lol

And if you go back to previous posts I have stated the Klutch hate is overdone.

Rich Paul may have gotten a nod he wouldn’t otherwise have gotten because of LBJ and look what he did with it. Pretty damn admirable. No different compared to some of these Ivy league Italian and Jewish JD/MBA guys who probably had assistance along the way also.

Atl Spur
07-08-2022, 01:17 PM
Stupid as in being funny…..way to sensitive on a Friday KEV! Lol

Atl Spur
07-08-2022, 01:19 PM
And if you go back to previous posts I have stated the Klutch hate is overdone.

Rich Paul may have gotten a nod he wouldn’t otherwise have gotten because of LBJ and look what he did with it. Pretty damn admirable. No different compared to some of these Ivy league Italian and Jewish JD/MBA guys who probably had assistance along the way also.

^agree. These other cats are in denial…. It’s who you know sometimes :)

AFBlue
07-08-2022, 06:47 PM
Gonna be a dude...in two years.

GAustex
07-08-2022, 07:00 PM
Imma liking 14’s future more than 11

tonight...you
07-08-2022, 07:06 PM
Imma liking 14’s future more than 11
Mmmm... who here thought, after Year 1, that Kawhi was going to end up being a Top 5 player in the NBA?
When he played, lol.

BatManu20
07-08-2022, 07:06 PM
7iGB0-OkW5E

Dejounte
07-08-2022, 07:43 PM
We can praise Wesley without shitting on Primo. It’s okay.

spurraider21
07-08-2022, 07:44 PM
brah there was church of parker vs church of manu and those are both HOFers

rjv
07-08-2022, 08:10 PM

I won’t shit on Josh because once Cleveland backed off Primo and had to pay attention to Blake and Maliki in the 4th, he took off. But I did think he looked better as an off guard when Blake ran the point.

AFBlue
07-08-2022, 08:11 PM

Primo was good...for a pure shooting guard. I think it's just clear whatever expectation is going to be on him as a primary ball handler and playmaker isn't realistic. Super smooth game though.

Atl Spur
07-08-2022, 08:20 PM
I like 14. He’s raw but he has traits you can’t teach ( that chip on his shoulder approach )

John B
07-08-2022, 08:37 PM
Wesley is not afraid to attack the basket with contact, and we need that to get to the FT line more. He just needs to learn how to finish. Adding to that frame would help. The kid has a lot of dawg in him.

GAustex
07-08-2022, 08:57 PM
Mmmm... who here thought, after Year 1, that Kawhi was going to end up being a Top 5 player in the NBA?
When he played, lol.
I saw pretty quickly that he needed to play over Jefferson.
I had no idea he would sky rocket as he did

Eaglenole2002
07-08-2022, 09:40 PM
Finally watched the game. Wesley reminded me of a young Barbosa out there — great speed with the ball, ultra aggressive, and even the same forward flexed posture with the dribble.

emanueldavidginobili
07-08-2022, 10:44 PM
Finally watched the game. Wesley reminded me of a young Barbosa out there — great speed with the ball, ultra aggressive, and even the same forward flexed posture with the dribble.
He definitely has his shoulders and his posture too. Low key good comparison tbh

BatManu20
07-09-2022, 12:13 AM

RC_Drunkford
07-09-2022, 05:29 AM
so after Tony vs. Manu and White vs. Murray the new rivalry is Primo vs. Wesley. Nice, can't wait to read all the stupid takes :lol

KingKev
07-09-2022, 07:04 AM
so after Tony vs. Manu and White vs. Murray the new rivalry is Primo vs. Wesley. Nice, can't wait to read all the stupid takes :lol

Primo vs Wesley vs Branham tbh.

Dejounte
07-09-2022, 07:15 AM
WeSlEy iS nOt a PaSs FiRsT pOiNt GuArD aNd hE dOeSnt SHoOt EnOugH 3’s. HeS noT mY pOiNt guArD

dbestpro
07-09-2022, 07:28 AM
Wesley -attack first, ask questions later.

RC_Drunkford
07-09-2022, 07:39 AM
WeSlEy iS nOt a PaSs FiRsT pOiNt GuArD aNd hE dOeSnt SHoOt EnOugH 3’s. HeS noT mY pOiNt guArD

he might not be a culture fit if he has instagram

Dejounte
07-09-2022, 08:09 AM
he might not be a culture fit if he has instagram

yeah he might not be

https://twitter.com/trolledbypg/status/1545151925682933765

RC_Drunkford
07-09-2022, 12:46 PM
yeah he might not be

https://twitter.com/trolledbypg/status/1545151925682933765

you probably don't know about Danny Green being in strip clubs or Tony Parker's rap career. Spurs fan since 2018 :lol

Mr. Body
07-09-2022, 02:33 PM
I notice Dejounte isn't raining his stacks.

Atl Spur
07-09-2022, 03:09 PM
Not a shocker……he was bound to get over to magic city��

ace3g
07-09-2022, 06:14 PM
Cfx4aeKL_7E

blakewesley00 (https://www.instagram.com/blakewesley00/) So excited to be partnered with @cuts (https://www.instagram.com/cuts/) to give away a signed San Antonio rookie jersey and $250 Cuts Gift Card, to enter like this post, go follow @cutsathletes (https://www.instagram.com/cutsathletes/), and comment tagging 3 friends below.

Maddog
07-09-2022, 06:54 PM

Definitely,
That said there was some nice passes once he attacked

spurs1990
07-10-2022, 02:21 PM
My point is, there are tons of agency’s out there to choose from but klutch is the issue? Got it��. MF’s just mad a league that’s predominantly minority dominant has an agency that’s headed by black people! You clowns can’t name a CAA ( or other agency ) player or deal that has rubbed you the wrong way that evokes the vitriol of Klutch brand! All these players need to do what’s best for them because most teams do/will…..it’s a business!! Never personal :)

Another factor is that agency is James-centric and could be alleged that their moves are to benefit James in some way or another. The Davis trade is what got people thinking about that aspect. A second point is this is a sports league that's driven by fans. It doesn't exist without fans. The player empowerment is directly oppositional to what's good for the fans of teams whose players dash out as soon as things don't go their way - Leonard, Durant, Irving being the main culprits. James' agency is at the forefront of driving players out of their teams for greener pastures. Strictly IMO though. Grain of salt applicable.

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2022, 08:54 PM
start this guy. He has no fear and his 3-point shot is a lot better than advertised. Still needs some polish, especially when it comes to finishing at the rim and shooting from midrange, but damn he looks like the steal of the draft and has outplayed Primo

Kurik
07-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Wesley undoubtedly has NBA potential and skills, probably my favorite Spur already.

Mr. Body
07-10-2022, 09:08 PM
When Primo played scared, Wesley didn't care.

Although those two clutch threes were completely different shots. We need to fix that eventually.

kht
07-10-2022, 11:36 PM
Welseys fame with the long terms, bunched back and short neck reminds me of a player... can't put my finger on it. I'd say DJ Murray but I know there's other players his frame remind me more of.

tonski117
07-10-2022, 11:54 PM
Leandro barbosa 2.0

tim_duncan_fan
07-11-2022, 12:23 AM

It'll be much easier to coach an aggressive winner to play under control than to try to mentor fire and confidence into someone *cough Derrick White cough*.

I like this guy's moxie so far.

offset formation
07-11-2022, 01:22 AM
I won’t shit on Josh because once Cleveland backed off Primo and had to pay attention to Blake and Maliki in the 4th, he took off. But I did think he looked better as an off guard when Blake ran the point.

lmao. so they over respected two 19 yr olds,, then let the other one go off for 11 points?

DAF86
07-11-2022, 12:25 PM
Give him a starting role, a lot of touches and see if he can go for RoY. Only thing that would make this upcoming season interesting.

John B
07-11-2022, 12:46 PM
Welseys fame with the long terms, bunched back and short neck reminds me of a player... can't put my finger on it. I'd say DJ Murray but I know there's other players his frame remind me more of.

Paul Pressey?

DAF86
07-11-2022, 01:38 PM

Ingram?

I don't know what it is, but this kid, to me, looks a lot longer than he's listed.

Ariel
07-11-2022, 01:39 PM
Give him a starting role, a lot of touches and see if he can go for RoY. Only thing that would make this upcoming season interesting.
I disagree. I love Wesley and I was clamoring for us to draft him for months, but he needs to work A LOT on the aspects of the game where he's still very raw. Throwing him out there from the get go on a starting role may push him to produce immediately, which will make it harder to work on his game. He should start in Austin, working in his skills (passing, finishing, shooting, learning the system, being more of a PG) and work his way up from there.
By mid season he should be contributing on the main squad. Meanwhile Tre is much more ready, and the other rookies will benefit from playing with a more traditional PG, especially Branham. Having a dysfunctional team lead by an extremely raw combo guard forced to play point is not the ideal recipe for developing players to play in a Spurs like system.

DAF86
07-11-2022, 01:44 PM
I disagree. I love Wesley and I was clamoring for us to draft him for months, but he needs to work A LOT on the aspects of the game where he's still very raw. Throwing him out there from the get go on a starting role may push him to produce immediately, which will make it harder to work on his game. He should start in Austin, working in his skills (passing, finishing, shooting, learning the system, being more of a PG) and work his way up from there.
By mid season he should be contributing on the main squad. Meanwhile Tre is much more ready, and the other rookies will benefit from playing with a more traditional PG, especially Branham. Having a dysfunctional team lead by an extremely raw combo guard forced to play point is not the ideal recipe for developing players to play in a Spurs like system.

Yeah, I was kidding. The best way to go is to slowly work his way in through the G-league. Also, you can't just give him all the touches with guys like Keldon and Vassell on the team.

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 02:32 PM
Spurs Talk, where dementia reigns supreme! You can’t make this stuff up:)

Ariel
07-11-2022, 02:38 PM
You may want to try a less reflective screen

C-Dub
07-11-2022, 04:26 PM
Do y'all really think that Blake will be playing that freely, jacking up all those shots and getting his shots blocked that much once Po get a hold of him? Do y'all remember how freely Primo played in the G-league compared to playing under Pop? Call it neutered or whatever, but Blake will not be this carefree under Pop, no way, no how. Primo has already been neutered are whatever you want to call it and understands that that one fly under Pop in the big boy league. Primo is better than Blake and Brannan may also be better than Blake under Pops rules and regulations. See Tre Jones from last year's Summer League to playing under Pop for reference as well.

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 05:51 PM
Do y'all really think that Blake will be playing that freely, jacking up all those shots and getting his shots blocked that much once Po get a hold of him? Do y'all remember how freely Primo played in the G-league compared to playing under Pop? Call it neutered or whatever, but Blake will not be this carefree under Pop, no way, no how. Primo has already been neutered are whatever you want to call it and understands that that one fly under Pop in the big boy league. Primo is better than Blake and Brannan may also be better than Blake under Pops rules and regulations. See Tre Jones from last year's Summer League to playing under Pop for reference as well.

Hey, stop making sense!! You and your historical data need to go!!!!!

tim_duncan_fan
07-11-2022, 06:43 PM
This is Wesley's team.

I mean the big club too. Lol

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 07:49 PM
Lol…..

DAF86
07-11-2022, 07:55 PM
The guy isn't bashful about putting them up, I'll give him that, tbh. :lol

DAF86
07-11-2022, 07:55 PM
Lol…..

Are you actively rooting against Spurs' players?

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 07:56 PM
You may want to try a less reflective screen

Lol:) Bro I’m not wasting time on you!

Dejounte
07-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Atl Spur insecure as fuck and pissed off people are shitting on his boy Primo so he’s gotta go and trash another player who is getting attention

pretty pathetic tbh

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Are you actively rooting against Spurs' players?

Never that. I roll with the squad! This game served its purpose…… a lot of teachable moments. On to the next

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 08:02 PM
Atl Spur insecure as fuck and pissed off people are shitting on his boy Primo so he’s gotta go and trash another player who is getting attention

pretty pathetic tbh

Damn homie I didn’t say anything….slow down! Insecure? Yo, you a funny dude!

DAF86
07-11-2022, 08:02 PM
Never that. I roll with the squad! This game served its purpose…… a lot of teachable moments. On to the next

Well, it seems like it, tbh.

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 08:04 PM
When Primo shit on you clowns, that’s when you will get the full wrath! This is just the bitch being pulled out of you��

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 08:06 PM
Jj redick tried to school some of you bums but I guess it went over your heads…..

tim_duncan_fan
07-11-2022, 08:08 PM
What'd he say?

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 08:14 PM
What'd he say?

Basically people will be hating on Wesley for a bad game but they shouldn’t because this a step in the learning NBA game. Casuals don’t know how to contextualize what they’re seeing:)

tim_duncan_fan
07-11-2022, 08:20 PM
I didn't even realize he was having a bad shooting night until one of the broadcast guys said so.
I am already sold. Guy's got the physical ability and he has an attacker's mentality. He's a piece of the future.

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 08:25 PM
I didn't even realize he was having a bad shooting night until one of the broadcast guys said so.
I am already sold. Guy's got the physical ability and he has an attacker's mentality. He's a piece of the future.

A lot to like with him; decision making & dribbling refinement will expedite his development. Good pick.

Mr. Body
07-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Dude's erratic. We knew this.

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 08:48 PM
Depeche Mode up in here……..Enjoy the silence! Lol

The Truth #6
07-11-2022, 08:59 PM
Blake is going to have some rough moments this season. He doesn't seem to know how to play in a team system very well, but to be fair this barely a team they are throwing out there. But you have to love his aggression.

I'm not sure what the best approach is to his development. If he could play in San Antonio next to Sochan whom we hope can help the ball move and flow, then maybe that's actually better than getting rebuilt in Austin. Same for Branham. It's not like we're trying to win a lot of games this year.

AFBlue
07-12-2022, 10:55 AM
Blake Wesley...more like Baby Westbrook tbh. This dude needs half a season in Austin at a minimum, but I don't know that they can afford to keep him there with exactly one true PG on the roster.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-12-2022, 11:45 AM
Spurs continue to show their ability to draft well at the end of the round. Jury's out on anything in the first half of the first round.

rascal
07-12-2022, 02:24 PM
Blake Wesley...more like Baby Westbrook tbh. This dude needs half a season in Austin at a minimum, but I don't know that they can afford to keep him there with exactly one true PG on the roster.

Just play all the young players. This is a tank season anyways.

John B
07-12-2022, 02:41 PM
Just play all the young players. This is a tank season anyways.

They need to show some competency out there or they will form bad habits. Blake can benefit from playing in Austin, winning games and slowly bring him in. Unlike Tony with DRob and Timmy who allowed young Tony to make mistakes. And Tony was tough. Anybody else could break from Pop grueling him every chance. Tony was made of some tough shit :lol

OldMan88
07-12-2022, 03:14 PM
Tony was tough. He had to be playing professionally in France as a kid against grown men. Plus, being French made him pretty much immune to Pop’s verbal onslaughts.

J_Paco
07-12-2022, 03:48 PM
He does have a lot attributes (speed, quickness & first-atep) similar to Westbrook and Parker. Has to get better and a lot more crafty around the rim and develop his PG skills. Right now, he gets tunnel - vision and misses too many teammates, but that's a given being that PG is new to him.

Atl Spur
07-12-2022, 03:50 PM
They need to show some competency out there or they will form bad habits. Blake can benefit from playing in Austin, winning games and slowly bring him in. Unlike Tony with DRob and Timmy who allowed young Tony to make mistakes. And Tony was tough. Anybody else could break from Pop grueling him every chance. Tony was made of some tough shit :lol

I go to the spurs game here almost every year and I’ve been witness to Pop cussing Tony out! Tony never showed is tail, he would just keep doing his thing! Tony was different…..

John B
07-12-2022, 04:15 PM
I go to the spurs game here almost every year and I’ve been witness to Pop cussing Tony out! Tony never showed is tail, he would just keep doing his thing! Tony was different…..

That was also that turned me off Dejounte, that squabble at the bench. You don’t get to make other players in-line doing that, especially with a very young team. That wasn’t setting a good example, especially as the captain of the team, imo.

PhantomDashCam
07-12-2022, 07:57 PM

John B
07-12-2022, 08:45 PM

Yup I think Wesley is a top 10. Spurs got 3 lottery picks, plus Barlow is early 2nd round. It’s still early but I like it.

Maddog
07-13-2022, 06:24 AM
He does have a lot attributes (speed, quickness & first-atep) similar to Westbrook and Parker. Has to get better and a lot more crafty around the rim and develop his PG skills. Right now, he gets tunnel - vision and misses too many teammates, but that's a given being that PG is new to him.

He does get tunnel vison, but at the same time has delivered some really amazing passes- so I think there is potential. Evidently ran the pick and roll well in college.
The other real positive is his willingness to play defense.
Reminds me a bit of Sprewell, with the speed, quickness and frame. Hopefully more sane.

Atl Spur
07-13-2022, 09:16 AM
He does get tunnel vison, but at the same time has delivered some really amazing passes- so I think there is potential. Evidently ran the pick and roll well in college.
Reminds me a bit of Sprewell, with the speed, quickness and frame. Hopefully more sane.

^ He is super competitive I’ve heard multiple times too!! This may end up being the draft we look back and say this is when it turned around for us! He could end up being devastating once those handles, shooting/finishing and all around decision making comes along! I wouldn’t be the one to bet against the kid:)

Ice009
07-14-2022, 06:52 AM

Darn, that is a name I haven't heard in a long time. If he could be a similar to Latrell Sprewell, I'd be pretty happy with that as Sprewell's was a player I always wanted on the Spurs. You never know, Blake could end up even being better. Having said that, I love that he is aggressive and takes it to the rim. That is my sort of player.

DPG21920
07-14-2022, 03:24 PM
You know who Wesley reminds me of if you squint? Marcus Smart.

More athletic/less bulky, but Marcus Smart.

Dejounte
07-14-2022, 04:30 PM
Fuck all of yall obsessed with the Spurs getting a top 5 pick by tanking. We got a top 5 talent at #25 and it can be done every year.

RC_Drunkford
07-14-2022, 04:53 PM
he's pretty much dominating out there on the regular

DAF86
07-14-2022, 05:14 PM
Fuck all of yall obsessed with the Spurs getting a top 5 pick by tanking. We got a top 5 talent at #25 and it can be done every year.

You might get a top 5 talent of that particular year, but you are almost never getting a generational talent. The type of talents that turn a franchise around. The Shaqs, the Lebrons, the Duncans. Those are usually known with anticipation and need a top 3 pick to get them.

Dejounte
07-14-2022, 05:19 PM
You might get a top 5 talent of that particular year, but you are almost never getting a generational talent. The type of talents that turn a franchise around. The Shaqs, the Lebrons, the Duncans. Those are usually known with anticipation and need a top 3 pick to get them.

Giannis
Kawhi
Jokic

DAF86
07-14-2022, 05:24 PM
Giannis
Kawhi
Jokic

Kawhi's peak was too short to call him a generational talent. And Jokic still needs more time and accoled3s to call him that, but he's on the way for sure.

When I said "you almost never get a generational talent" I was thinking exactly of Jokic and Giannis, and that's only because the NBA still has some doubts when it comes to drafting international prospects with top picks. But that would be further from the truth with each passing year, as we can see now with that French kid that everybody knows should go #1.

Generational talents are get in the top 3 99.9% of the time.

Seventyniner
07-14-2022, 05:25 PM
Giannis
Kawhi
Jokic

Yup.

And it's not just that. If your scouting and player development personnel are able to consistently (I'm not saying always) turn picks in the 20s into top-10 players in their drafts, even if it's not top 3, you can put together a package for a superstar much more easily. Obtaining mid to late firsts is not nearly as hard as getting unprotected picks.

Imagine the Spurs having a draft pick trove like the Thunder's.

Ariel
07-14-2022, 05:38 PM
Giannis
Kawhi
Jokic
You CAN, but even if they're available, they're much harder to identify. Literally every team in the league had a chance to draft Jokic, yet they all passed on him, some TWICE. Why? Because it would have taken some incredible foresight to see that coming, to the point where even the team that drafted him couldn't really tell... otherwise do you think they wouldn't have let him slip 30 more spots from their first pick at 11 before finally snatching him at 41? I understand (and agree) that perpetual tanking is a horrible strategy with nasty side effects... but a high pick is far and above the best bet to get yourself a franchise player, even if it's not a guarantee.

BatManu20
07-14-2022, 05:46 PM
he's pretty much dominating out there on the regular

He shot 3-20 last game lol. But the other 3 games he’s looked really good aside from turnovers.

BatManu20
07-14-2022, 05:51 PM

DAF86
07-14-2022, 05:51 PM
He shot 3-20 last game lol. But the other 3 games he’s looked really good aside from turnovers.

It does speak well of him that, despite shooting horribly, he was still able to put up 20 shots. Lesser talents sometimes don't even get to the spot of being able to get a shot off.

BatManu20
07-14-2022, 06:24 PM
It does speak well of him that, despite shooting horribly, he was still able to put up 20 shots. Lesser talents sometimes don't even get to the spot of being able to get a shot off.

Agreed. It’s SL too. Much rather watch Wes continue to take shots and miss than watch some of these other guys who’ll never play an NBA game in their lives jack up shots.

tonight...you
07-14-2022, 06:56 PM
Tony also had Tim absorbing the brunt in front of everybody and taking it.
He watched that and had to follow the greater player's example.
DJM had none of that to help him grow.

Situations are different and handled differently, right, or wrong.

BatManu20
07-14-2022, 06:57 PM

tSfPIyTHs9U

Dejounte
07-14-2022, 06:59 PM

tSfPIyTHs9U

The first move is what separates Wes from Lonnie. Yeah, he goes full speed at times but he has it in his bag to stop and go and make savvy moves like that.

tonight...you
07-14-2022, 07:27 PM
The first move is what separates Wes from Lonnie. Yeah, he goes full speed at times but he has it in his bag to stop and go and make savvy moves like that.
His pure, unadulterated aggressiveness is what separates him from Lonnie.

Dejounte
07-14-2022, 07:32 PM

https://c.tenor.com/d7m8u_A4il0AAAAd/true-its-true.gif

RC_Drunkford
07-14-2022, 07:55 PM
the thing is he's basically putting up sophomore stats out there. Most rookies, like Lonnie and many others, look like this in their 2nd year in summer league. Blake is looking like that his first time out there and he's 19. I can't wait for Manu to coach this kid, he got that competitiveness and his play is sometimes chaotic, he just needs to learn how to control it. No one better than Manu to teach him.

Dejounte
07-14-2022, 07:56 PM
the thing is he's basically putting up sophomore stats out there. Most rookies, like Lonnie and many others, look like this in their 2nd year in summer league. Blake is looking like that his first time out there and he's 19. I can't wait for Manu to coach this kid, he got that competitiveness and his play is sometimes chaotic, he just needs to learn how to control it. No one better than Manu to teach him.

Spurs are set at PG for the next decade tbh

RC_Drunkford
07-14-2022, 08:04 PM
Spurs are set at PG for the next decade tbh

if we get the guy in my signature it's over for the league

tonight...you
07-14-2022, 08:06 PM
if we get the guy in my signature it's over for the league
You have a sig?

tim_duncan_fan
07-14-2022, 08:58 PM
Super high on this guy. If nothing else, we got Blake. He's going to be really damned good.

We haven't had a guy who doesn't give a fuck this much since young Manu.

scott
07-14-2022, 10:57 PM
Just start Blake at PG to start the season tbh.

Atl Spur
07-14-2022, 11:10 PM
Just start Blake at PG to start the season tbh.

Nah, Pop don’t really get down like that as you know; the kid will earn it in due time.

gilmor2002
07-15-2022, 12:23 AM

wtf is unadulterated.. just said.. his agreesiveness and maturity is what separates him from LWIV

DrSteffo
07-15-2022, 02:28 AM
I like him because he plays hard. A fighter/scorer and a slashing combo guard. Will be a great bench player, like Manu light.

Dancelot
07-15-2022, 02:41 AM
When watching the draft I felt like this was going to be her best pick, especially with the position

John B
07-15-2022, 03:21 AM
I hate to bring Kobe, but same drive and cockiness (not bad) at that age, fearless.

Dejounte
07-15-2022, 07:57 AM
We have not even seen him unleash his post moves, which are a big part of his game, because of the lack of spacing in summer league. Wait for it, gents.

Dejounte
07-15-2022, 08:12 AM
https://youtu.be/0pWvFLW4wKY

a repost

Maddog
07-15-2022, 08:52 AM
We have not even seen him unleash his post moves, which are a big part of his game, because of the lack of spacing in summer league. Wait for it, gents.

I've seen reports about his ability to run the pick and roll- never heard about the post moves-
Malaki yes but not Blake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxrX3CVWuPc

Dejounte
07-15-2022, 08:58 AM
I've seen reports about his ability to run the pick and roll- never heard about the post moves-
Malaki yes but not Blake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxrX3CVWuPc

Yessir. You’ll see.

tonight...you
07-15-2022, 09:06 AM
wtf is unadulterated.. just said.. his agreesiveness and maturity is what separates him from LWIV
I wasn't talking to you.

exstatic
07-15-2022, 09:09 AM
Yup.

And it's not just that. If your scouting and player development personnel are able to consistently (I'm not saying always) turn picks in the 20s into top-10 players in their drafts, even if it's not top 3, you can put together a package for a superstar much more easily. Obtaining mid to late firsts is not nearly as hard as getting unprotected picks.

Imagine the Spurs having a draft pick trove like the Thunder's.

We’re rapidly approaching their level. Remember, they’ve been using them, and flat traded THREE FRPs for Dieng.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Atl Spur
07-15-2022, 09:14 AM
Yessir. You’ll see.

You sound excited about this kid……. Anything that helps the team is a welcomed addition! Abuse little guards & blow by big slower defenders works for me.

Maddog
07-15-2022, 09:32 AM
We’re rapidly approaching their level. Remember, they’ve been using them, and flat traded THREE FRPs for Dieng.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

And probably more to come

Atl Spur
07-16-2022, 10:15 PM
Keep the energy….. it’s summer league surely he’ll take over the league when the REAL lights come on right? This man will be good in time but some of you need to cut him some slack :) Hey Dejounte, let me hear your opinion on this post, is it positive enough, you scouting extraordinaire? Clown

Mr. Body
07-16-2022, 10:22 PM
May seems like an odd observation, since Wesley has a good family and caring background, but...

He feels like an older child of, like, a single overworked mom, at least on the court. And in interviews, as if there's this cloud over his head. He can't be happy, he's unsettled, because there's too much to do, too many people to take care of -- dinner, cleaning, getting his siblings into pjs and into bed, doing his homework. He feels that way on court, too, like it all hangs on him.

I know Coach Brey at ND is a good coach, and he'll have a great one in Pop, so I hope he settles down and realizes it's not all on his shoulders, that he can relax and learn. I hope he trusts the organization to steer him right and bring out his game.

Spurs Homer
07-16-2022, 10:22 PM
Hey wes…

PASS THE MOTHERFUCKING BALL FOR FUCKS SAKE!

GAustex
07-16-2022, 10:28 PM
Pop may have to play him. There is no other decent ball handler past Tre.
I suppose they could pick up some other PG vet or something.

Atl Spur
07-16-2022, 11:19 PM
Pop may have to play him. There is no other decent ball handler past Tre.
I suppose they could pick up some other PG vet or something.

Queue the clown music……. Thanks for that super hot take! Take your meds and get some rest……

offset formation
07-16-2022, 11:31 PM
And probably more to come

Definitely. Maybe as many as 3 more for Richardson Poeltl and absorbing a contract.

GAustex
07-17-2022, 12:20 AM
Queue the clown music……. Thanks for that super hot take! Take your meds and get some rest……
Hey Girl!!
Miss Cleo tell us of the future!?!
Will Primo (your boy and last years lotto pick and this years second rounder) be PG?
How many TOs will he average??
PATFO taint licker
Hey Girl-Miss Cleo tell us of the future again

Vince Carter's ankle
07-17-2022, 04:06 AM
Hey Girl!!
Miss Cleo tell us of the future!?!
Will Primo (your boy and last years lotto pick and this years second rounder) be PG?
How many TOs will he average??
PATFO taint licker
Hey Girl-Miss Cleo tell us of the future again
Some noname scout said Primo would have been selected in the second round this year, and you just took it for granted.

The Truth #6
07-17-2022, 10:12 AM
I’m trying to get a handle on this guy’s personality, basically. He seems like a well raised, respectable, ball hog? He also seems to have some unusual interests. If I remember correctly, on the video they played at draft night, it showed him playing tenor saxophone?? Anyway, he definitely has high potential as a player. I hope somehow he can maintain his swag and not get it beaten out of him learning the Spurs system.

KingKev
07-17-2022, 10:25 AM
Some noname scout said Primo would have been selected in the second round this year, and you just took it for granted.

He sounds like a smart guy though.

KingKev
07-17-2022, 10:31 AM
I’m trying to get a handle on this guy’s personality, basically. He seems like a well raised, respectable, ball hog? He also seems to have some unusual interests. If I remember correctly, on the video they played at draft night, it showed him playing tenor saxophone?? Anyway, he definitely has high potential as a player. I hope somehow he can maintain his swag and not get it beaten out of him learning the Spurs system.

The good thing is the days of Pop beating guys down is basically over but he actually seems to be a perfect coach Pop project where long term everyone wins.

Vince Carter's ankle
07-17-2022, 12:09 PM
If Primo had stayed for a second season at Alabama, would he have stayed at the 20/21 level?
Is the SEC's level of competition higher than in the NBA?

John B
07-17-2022, 01:13 PM

Nah that was a bandwagon take. Nobody’s gonna be a Jerry McGuire and risk hurting their career.

John B
07-17-2022, 01:25 PM
The good thing is the days of Pop beating guys down is basically over but he actually seems to be a perfect coach Pop project where long term everyone wins.

Agree. These guys are lucky to have an organization who are invested on their best long term interest, and Pop is the epitome of that. I think when these 4, and I would include Barlow because I think at 19 and position wise, he’s very much a big part of the rebuilding, start seeing the progression year after year, and drafted together, they’ll develop that tight bond not easy to separate like the big 3. They’ll push and back each other. And again very lucky to have themselves in the best organization like the Spurs.

Dejounte
07-17-2022, 01:30 PM
https://twitter.com/josh810/status/1548455292630749191

Gunning for that PG spot tbh

GAustex
07-17-2022, 01:37 PM
Gonna have to
There is no one else cept Tre

John B
07-17-2022, 02:00 PM
Wesley could be erratic at times but you can never question his competitive spirit. This kid is pure alpha.

The Truth #6
07-17-2022, 03:09 PM

I hope so. Blake is going to test Pop’s patience I imagine. But if Blake can stay positive then he could come out of this as a building block. Long way to go, though.

But does he play the saxophone? That’s the real question.

TD 21
07-17-2022, 03:39 PM

:lmao In other words, he doesn't fit the stereotype you and many have of a black American youth.

Atl Spur
07-17-2022, 03:46 PM
This is going to be fun….. Hypocrisy will be a staple of this thread! Blake is not ready and it will take more time than some of you are willing to admit:)

SpursFan86
07-17-2022, 07:18 PM
No shit Blake isn’t ready…are people actually expecting a 19 year-old picked in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round to be some polished product that instantly takes the league by storm? :lol

I think Wesley’s SL play was encouraging. We got to see the flashes that made people claim he had home run potential. He was unsurprisingly inconsistent, but there’s no denying the potential. I’m not so worried about his shot selection/decision-making…he’s a 19 year-old who was forced to be the #1 option as a freshman, and it’s also entirely likely that the SL staff asked/wanted him to show a high level of aggression during SL play. I’m hopeful he’ll improve in some of those areas but everyone should’ve known he’s a project and isn’t going to be some all-star in his first year.

GAustex
07-17-2022, 07:22 PM
Who is PG on big boy team?
Other than Tre

The Truth #6
07-18-2022, 12:14 AM
:lmao In other words, he doesn't fit the stereotype you and many have of a black American youth.

I think it’s more nuanced than that. Professional athletes are typically not very cultured, just like many Americans in general aren’t, yet many Spurs players are. More specifically, most Spurs players are very team focused, yet he has no shame going 2-17. I’m just curious to see what he’s about. I can see why you made your comment, though.

tim_duncan_fan
07-18-2022, 12:29 AM
https://twitter.com/josh810/status/1548455292630749191

Gunning for that PG spot tbh

Confidence, confidence, confidence!

White was here 4 years and never got used to the idea of being a starter.

Vince Carter's ankle
07-18-2022, 02:43 AM
https://twitter.com/N_Magaro/status/1548870468156932099