PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Player of all time

mavsfan1000
12-01-2005, 04:22 AM
For me it is Jason Kidd. It seems like everyone is talking about how great he is on tv but I am not impressed. He can't play in the half court due to his lack of shooting skills. He continues to take them even though he sucks at that.

Vashner
12-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Nope Jason has good stats... there are like a million other players that have worse record. Jason just made a single bad decision that kept the ring off his finger. Dumb is not overrated....

MajicMan
12-01-2005, 04:32 AM
Two finals appearances, top 10 in assist's all time, 4th all time per game, named NBA first team 5 times, first team defensive 4 times. Get the fuck out of here! Jason Kidd makes others around him better. Just ask K Mart. How many times have the Mavs been to the Finals lately? Ummmmm they haven't.

mavsfan1000
12-01-2005, 04:38 AM
Yeah Kidd never won a championship and I thought Kenyon Martin was a big part of why New Jersey was so tough. That and the spurs couldn't hit any shots. I believe Bowen really struggled in that series.

Vashner
12-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Yao Ming.. now that's over rated. But he's a nice guy just saying big is not everything.

MajicMan
12-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Chris Webber. Never made the big shot, always blew them. Never came through when it counted.

mavsfan1000
12-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Yeah but alot of people say that anyway. He is nothing without Mcgrady who he feeds off on the picnroll.

slayermin
12-01-2005, 04:58 AM
Bill Russell

Amuseddaysleeper
12-01-2005, 05:02 AM
allen iverson

Mark in Austin
12-01-2005, 05:06 AM
Vince Carter

polandprzem
12-01-2005, 05:08 AM
Bill Russell
How is that possible?

slayermin
12-01-2005, 05:26 AM
How is that possible?

He was basically Ben Wallace. I would even argue that Big Ben is more athletic. Granted, Russell was the irreplaceable piece to all those championships. Back in those days, big men like him were few and far between.

But many experts consider him the greatest player of all-time. I have heard and read this so many times, I think it's laughable. He was arguably the greatest defensive player of all-time but his offensive skills were limited. He played great on only one end of the floor.

If you look at all the hall of fame players he played with, you will understand that he was a great role player on the greatest collection of players ever assembled.

I am half way through John Feinsteins' book, "Let Me Tell You a Story." The real genius behind the Celtics was Red Auerbach. He was one shrewd basketball mind that took advantage of every situation to gain leverage for the Celtics. He negotiated contracts, networked with people who gave him the inside track on talent, and used groundbreaking tactics that revolutionized the game.

Don't get me wrong. I think Russell is one of the greats of the game. I just don't think he's a top ten player of all time, much less the greatest of all time.

polandprzem
12-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Yes but he was a team player.
Some can say that if you trade Chamberlain with Russell you have the same efect.
Cousy is saying that probably one championship with Wilt would be possible.
The thing is Rusell have got 11 ringng Chamberlain one.
Wiltv wasn't alone as well playing with Cunningham, Greer, Chet walker, Elgin baylor, Jerry West, Goodrich. Come on. I know that is was not the kind of dynasty Boston was but you have got to admitt 11-2 says something.
People do not like the team players because they don't put up big numbers. They respect them okay. But in todays world superstar must have statistics.

If you ask me I'm taking Russell over any center in the history of the NBA

slayermin
12-01-2005, 05:47 AM
I agree with you that Wilt may not have fit into Boston's system very well. Red actually talks about Wilt in the book I referenced. He thought Wilt would not be able to handle his coaching style because Red was like Pop. He would chew out guys from the beginning of the bench to the end of the bench if they weren't playing well.

Red built his team around Russell because he knew Russell was the defensive juggernaut that he needed to win championships.

I still think you replace Ben Wallace with Russell and you win several championships. Probably Mutombo would have worked well enough to win a few titles. Absolutely David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon would have worked. The problem with Dave and Hakeem would have been the temptation for Red to use them as the focal point offensively which might have stymied the development of the other hall of famers.

SmotPoker
12-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Tracy Mcgrady, he doesn't make the people around him better, hes never been out of the first round, who can forget when they were up two game to zero against boston I believe, and he goes on to say that it was great to be in the second round. And he goes to lose three games in a row. Hes always has back problems, and I see his career ending short.

polandprzem
12-01-2005, 06:23 AM
It's not the temperation.
You know leaguge was what it was . Then
It is not a sytuacion when you teleport a player of 2005 to the sixties and he would be a great force.
back then Red knew he need the defensive force like you are said. In the first full NBA season thy won a championship with Russell and Heihnson as a rookies. Boston gave up two HOF and won the championship
Two years when Bill didn't won was the Chamberlains Sixers and St'Louis with Pettitt (Russell had an injury that Finals series).
He was a fantastic competitor. If you ask those HOF they all will tell you that Russell was the main reason they won.
BTW Cousy said that Bill was better ofensive player than people think. It was just Auerbach who told him not to go so much in the ofense.
I know if you put peaces in right place it is easier but check out the spurs, Tims numbers KG numbers and tell me who is more worthy. (Not james)

Ps. Sory for my English)

SlovenianGuy
12-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Kobe Bryant

SmotPoker
12-01-2005, 06:28 AM
Shaquille O'neal

Slo spurs fan
12-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Rasho? :)

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2005, 08:07 AM
For me it is Jason Kidd. It seems like everyone is talking about how great he is on tv but I am not impressed. He can't play in the half court due to his lack of shooting skills. He continues to take them even though he sucks at that.

Yeh same, im also having doubts if his any better then nash, kidds career started off good but his play is starting to decline since he had that knee injury and the signin of that max contract. Nash's career was overshadow due to trades, slow starts in career, playin on a mavs teams and havin no D to his game, now playin on the suns and livin up to his contract with impresssive stats and makin the suns compete even without STAT.

ShoogarBear
12-01-2005, 08:10 AM
I am half way through John Feinsteins' book, "Let Me Tell You a Story." The real genius behind the Celtics was Red Auerbach.

Disagree.

Rusell won two NCAA titles, an Olympic gold medal, and two NBA titles WITHOUT Auerbach. You ignore these accomplishment, which serves to only cement Russell's legacy.

Auerbach won NOTHING in his 10+ years before Russell got there.

phyzik
12-01-2005, 08:16 AM
I couldnt resist taking the bait....

Dirk Nowitzki.

:spin

/joke

exstatic
12-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Good call, Shooga.

Auerbach won NOTHING in his 10+ years before Russell got there.

They also didn't win again for 5 years after he left.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Antone Walker. Hands down.

exstatic
12-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Eddy Curry.

Pandaemonaeon
12-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Yao Ming.

I don't know, but if I'm 7-5 and nearly 300-pounds I would post up anyone and get the closest possible shot to the basket (or a jumphook), not a fadeaway or stupidly put the ball on the floor. He can't seem to play more than 10 minutes either and seems to have a hearing problem.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Shaq. If you look at his stats you could say that he's one of the all time greats but if you honestly watch his game the only things he ever did were win a genetic lottery and then get a bunch of help from refs.

GoSpurs21
12-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Avery Johnson....hands down

nkdlunch
12-01-2005, 09:52 AM

Kidd made the finals twice. How many did Dirk?

Obi wan Ginobili
12-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Russel hands down.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Kidd made the finals twice. How many did Dirk?

To be fair both of those finals appearances were out of a very weak eastern conference. I'd be willing to say that the Mavs could have taken those Nets teams if they could have gotten to the finals.

CharlieMac
12-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Pippen.

tekdragon
12-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Garnett.

Incredible talent, unmatched physical gifts...just not a winner. He's this generation's Dominique. There might not be anyone more fun to watch, and there might not be anyone I'm less scared of.

Kip Fanatic
12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
I am with Eriks. Scottie Pippen was way overrated. He was nothing without Jordan. He and Yao Ming are the first two that come to mind.

ShoogarBear
12-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Pippen is a good choice.

Medvedenko
12-01-2005, 10:38 AM
There is no way J Kidd is overrated....I would say Lloyd Daniels....

coopdogg3
12-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Karl Malone

Hook Dem
12-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Yao Ming has to win this award. I have never seen someone stand more flat footed for the size. He can't defend shit! He just stands there with his hands up and all you have to do is drive around him. He makes Rasho look like an all-star.

whottt
12-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Bill Russell and Michal Jordan.

Pippen had some pretty good years when Jordan was playing baseball...and the Bulls played pretty well, they were still a playoff team without Jordan.

Teams win championships.

JamStone
12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I was going to say SCOTTIE PIPPEN as well. Remember he was named to the 50 greatest NBA players when they first made that distinction years ago.

As for BILL RUSSELL, I don't think as many people call him the greatest player of all time as some people on this thread believe. Many people call him the greatest "CHAMPION" or "WINNER," which is much different from being the greatest individual player. I think the consensus on who is the greatest NBA player ever come down to three people: Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, and Oscar Robertson. Bill Russell was not as talented as any of those guys. He just won. He's a winner.

2centsworth
12-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Carmelo Anthony.

ShoogarBear
12-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Bill Russell and Michal Jordan.

Wanna see a good thread hijacking?

Somebody say "David Robinson". :)

ambchang
12-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Pippen.
No way man. One of the best defensive wings of all time, ability to direct the offense, breaks down oppositions defense, one of the best all around players of his generation.
Look at what he did the two seasons w/o Jordan during MJ's first retirement.
Has a reputation of shrinking under pressure, which is mostly BS. Just watch the tape of how he shut down Magic in Games 2 - 5 in the 91 finals. If it wasn't for him, the Lakers would have won that series, he should have been the MVP of that series.

midgetonadonkey
12-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Shaq and Patrick Ewing top my list.

Medvedenko
12-01-2005, 11:05 AM
The Admiral.....the most overrated sax player in history.

ShoogarBear
12-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Oooh, Ewing is also another good one.

JamStone
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Currently, I think JERMAINE O'NEAL is probably the most overrated. By no means am I saying he's bad. He's still one of the top power forwards in the game right now. But, I don't think he's nearly as good as many "experts" believe he is. I don't think he can take over games effectively. I think he's more of a "great" second option, rather than a true go-to guy. He hasn't proven to be an adequate leader. He generally does not make his teammates better. And, he's yet to carry his team to a win in a big game. Now, skills wise, again, he's probably a top 5 power forward. However, he's not the MVP type candidate people were claiming a few years ago.

A lot of people hate on YAO MING. I hear most reports saying Yao Ming isn't very good, from sports writers to analysts to so-called basketball experts to fans from every team. And, yet he's still one of only two centers in the NBA that can consistently give his team 18 points, 8 rebounds, and shoot .500+ from the field. To me, that makes Yao Ming underrated ... okay, I'm exaggerating. But, you know what I mean. If so many people hate on his game, how is he overrated?

Obi wan Ginobili
12-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah Ewing is pretty overrated.

willis Reed...

pick one of the 12323412412 Celtics hall of famers from the 60's besides Russel.

2centsworth
12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Currently, I think JERMAINE O'NEAL is probably the most overrated.

another good one. He's a seven foot jump shooter who is a way below average defender for someone of his length and athletic ability.

Uncle Donnie
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Has to be Ewing. Some "experts" even rank him above Robinson.

nkdlunch
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Ewing??? are u serious? he was on the knicks team that if not for Jordan would have been champions at least once.

No he was never at DRob level, but whoever listens to those idiots is an idiot also.

Darko will be the most overrated player ever when all said and done

JamStone
12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
How can Darko be overrated when no one thinks he's any good?

nkdlunch
12-01-2005, 11:35 AM
How can Darko be overrated when no one thinks he's any good?

Now they don't but when he was picked at #1?? u think someone thought he was good? :lol

JamStone
12-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Are Pervis Ellison, Billy Owens, Michael Olowokandi considered overrated? Not really, because even though they were high draft picks, after a few years in the league, people realized they weren't very good and so there weren't the great expectations that they had on draft night. Darko cannot be one of the more overrated players in the league because most people think he's not a good player.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Now they don't but when he was picked at #1?? u think someone thought he was good? :lol

He was #2, IIRC. But by that logic then Sam Bowie was overrated, and nobody thinks of him as an all time great.

Spurminator
12-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Bill Walton

strangeweather
12-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Bill Walton

How do you figure? He was probably the best passing big man of all time.

JamStone
12-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Bill Walton is not a bad choice, since he was named one of the 50 greatest NBA centers of all time. But, he basically only had 2-3 really good years in the NBA before his knees caved in. Walton largely gets acclaim because of his college basketball career. If he didn't have an injury riddled career, maybe he wouldn't be overrated. But, it's understandable why someone would think he is.

T Park
12-01-2005, 11:56 AM
I can't believe no one has said this guy's name.

Juwan Howard.

When he came out of college, dude was gonna dominate the NBA.

Juwan Howard
Yao Ming
Scottie Pippen
Ron Harper

And the nowadays most overrated player??

Hands down Vince Carter.

T Park
12-01-2005, 11:57 AM
before his knees caved in

Actually I think it was his feet.

And that was because he was a vegetarian and I think a Vegan.

No protein for his bones.

leemajors
12-01-2005, 12:07 PM
you guys are silly. harold miner was overrated. the only thing he was good for was nba jam, where he could dunk from halfcourt. mcgrady, both o`neals, yao, pip, kidd, russell, all were/are very good players. miner never did anything.

JamStone
Juwan Howard comment made me think of someone else ... Glen Robinson. Similarly, out of Purdue, basketball pundits were claiming he was a sure hall-of-famer even before playing his first game in the NBA. He had a decent career, made a few all-star games. But, a lot of people thought he was going to be one of the all-time greats, and he carried those expectations for a while, unlike Pervis Ellison, Sam Bowie, or Billy Owens.

Spurminator
Bill Walton is not a bad choice, since he was named one of the 50 greatest NBA centers of all time.

That's pretty much it. (You meant Players I assume)

JamStone
Derrick Coleman would be another one.

Spurminator
12-01-2005, 12:08 PM
miner never did anything.

And thus nobody remembers him. So how can he be overrated? I forgot he existed until you dug up his name.

Maybe we have conflicting definitions of "overrated" in this thread. Are we talking about overrated as they WERE perceived or as they ARE perceived?

leemajors
12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
he was nicknamed baby jordan, and there was a LOT of hype around him out of college.

JamStone
12-01-2005, 12:26 PM
I think it's a good point of contention on how someone defines "overrated."

Once a player is viewed as a "bust," doesn't that essentially preclude that player from being considered overrated? In order to be overrated, I would think that the player has to be at least somewhat successful and be considered a good to great player in order to be considered "overrated."

That's why Sam Bowie, Harold Miner, Pervis Ellison, and probably Darko are not overrated. The "overrated" player has to be at least a little good and get some praise in order for the distinction.

People can call Kobe Bryant or LeBron James overrated because they are pretty good players that get the hype. People can say Ben Wallace or Bruce Bowen are overrated defenders because they actually get accolades for their defense.

But, Michael Olowokandi fell off the map years ago and no one expects much from him anyway, despite being a #1 overall draft pick. He's a bust. He's not overrated.

leemajors
12-01-2005, 12:29 PM
well you can't be a bust without being overrated at some point.

batman2883
12-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, MIchael Jordan is my favorite overrated player...he wasnt a team player just a ball hog,

myhc
12-01-2005, 12:35 PM
michael jordan
tim duncan
hakeem olajuwon
kareem abdul jabar
magic johnson
isiah thomas
shaq
kobe
wilt chamberlin

anybody else we forgot guys? oh larry bird was so overrated.

mookie2001
I agree with Jordan
a lot of people think overrated is bad
it just means overrated
jordan was spectacular
still overrated
in the way the Doors and Pink Floyd are overrated

my picks

stephon marbury
kevin garnett
yao ming
eduardo najera
rick fox

JamStone
well you can't be a bust without being overrated at some point.

Agreed, but once you are viewed as a bust, you are no longer overrated.

kskonn
12-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Rik Smits

leemajors
12-01-2005, 12:39 PM
i tend to think the two are more intertwined than that, but then again, like this entire thread, it is pointless to argue about opinions :o

mookie2001
12-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Rik smits was pretty fucking good

better than brad miller and jeff foster

whottt
12-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Bill Walton is a good choice...

The guy only made the playoffs 4 times in his career and 2 of those times it was as a backup on the powerhouse Celtics teams...Great passser yeah...but he's a 7 footer, a little scoring would be nice, and if your teamates suck all those great passes aren't going to amount to much.

But then again, if people use head to head logic...Walton is better than Kareem, because he completely schooled Kareem the year he lead the Blazers to the title.

But he's definitely one of the most over-rated ever IMO. He wasn't a guy that could just be stuck on a team and they are automatically a title contender, and who lifts his teamates level of play.

Why Jordan is over-rated is a more complicated issue...Jordan is greatest scorer 1a of all time...most atheltically challenging to guard....perhaps even the most clutch...but Jordan really didn't make his teamates better and he basically admitted as much himself...

Right before he went on his title runs he was criticized for not making his teamates better...His response? Get me better teamates. They did just that.

And the rest is history.

But he's not the greatest ever IMO. If I am building a franchise from square 1 I take Magic Johnson over Jordan any day of the week.

mavsfan1000
12-01-2005, 12:53 PM
So Jordan and Pippen are overrated yet the bulls win 6 championships. :rolleyes

mando6599
12-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Sebastian Telfair, hands down for me. I know he's only been in a year, but IMO he's overrated. Should have gone to Louisville and developed longer.

mookie2001
12-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I thought pippin was great

he won six titles
are you telling me duncan gets even HALF the respect/pub/credit GOAT talk that jordan does?

NO

whottt
12-01-2005, 12:56 PM
So Jordan and Pippen are overrated yet the bulls win 6 championships. :rolleyes

I never said Pippen was over-rated. And championships are a team accomplishment...not an individual achievement.

I have looked at every site on the internet that lists NBA champions year by year...and not one single year on any site, is Michael Jordan listed as the NBA champion.

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2005, 01:39 PM
duncan>jordan hands down

mavsfan1000
12-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Pippen gets mentioned as the greatest role player of all time and Jordan the greatest superstar of all time. I think neither are overrated.

pache100
12-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Tracy Mcgrady, he doesn't make the people around him better, hes never been out of the first round, who can forget when they were up two game to zero against boston I believe, and he goes on to say that it was great to be in the second round. And he goes to lose three games in a row. Hes always has back problems, and I see his career ending short.

I agree on McGrady. I would only add...I just don't think he's that interested anymore.

Kobe Bryant

Yikes! There's another one. It's a toss-up.

1Parker1
12-01-2005, 01:49 PM
:wow I can't believe people find MJ over-rated!

My vote: Steve Francis.

Kip Fanatic
12-01-2005, 01:57 PM

My vote: Steve Francis.

Good choice. He can score no doubt, but that's about it. He has yet to find his position.

mavsfan1000
12-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Stromile Swift has to be up there. He is only a high leaper.

Kip Fanatic
12-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I would also put Ray Allen in this category. He can shoot lights out, but that's about it.

Kip Fanatic
12-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Add Dirk to this list too.

kskonn
12-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Rik smits was pretty fucking good

better than brad miller and jeff foster

I agree that he was pretty good, but for a few years some people where trying to say he was as good as D-rob and hakeem. i can still remember hearing him complain that he felt the refs never considered him an elite center in the NBA. today if he played he would be very good due to the lack of great centers, but when he played he was not elite.

waly.mg
12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Pippen had some pretty good years when Jordan was playing baseball...and the Bulls played pretty well, they were still a playoff team without Jordan.

Teams win championships.

Pippen >>>>>>>>>>> Kobe

Kobe without Shaq is a Shit

mavsfan1000
12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Add Dirk to this list too.

:lol I forgot Duncan. :lol

SequSpur
12-01-2005, 02:09 PM
And the nowadays most overrated player??

Hands down Vince Carter.

:rolleyes

you're stupid

conqueso
12-01-2005, 02:16 PM

When the pundits are calling someone the "Greatest Player of All Time," it's very easy to be overrated. The way that people talk now, and the way that people were talking when Jordan was playing (Bob Costas was calling MJ the GOAT before he even won his third title), he has the reputation as being the very pinnacle of the game of basketball, a player by which every other player is judged, a basketball "Jesus."

If you really take a good long look at it though, the question of whether MJ was the greatest basketball player of all time is very debatable.

In my mind, he is overrated for the simple fact that I don't think he was the greatest ever. And when you're getting that kind of misplaced respect from the world at large, that makes you the most overrated; it's the worst act of overrating for people to call someone the best when that person really isn't the best.

1Parker1
12-01-2005, 02:26 PM
^^That's up for personal judgement though, on who really is the "best" of all time. I may think its MJ, u may think its Magic...

Who really gets to judge who the one "best" player in the game is? All player have certain faults and aspects of their game which stand out compared to others.

kskonn
12-01-2005, 02:31 PM
^^That's up for personal judgement though, on who really is the "best" of all time. I may think its MJ, u may think its Magic...

Who really gets to judge who the one "best" player in the game is? All player have certain faults and aspects of their game which stand out compared to others.

exactly, which is why this list is just going to keep growing. I bet every star to ever play the game has a group of people that think he is overated.

jermaine7fan
12-01-2005, 02:33 PM
exactly, which is why this list is just going to keep growing. I bet every star to ever play the game has a group of people that think he is overated.Great point...

Leetonidas
12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
michael jordan
tim duncan
hakeem olajuwon
kareem abdul jabar
magic johnson
isiah thomas
shaq
kobe
wilt chamberlin

anybody else we forgot guys? oh larry bird was so overrated.

Tim Duncan? Tim freakin' Duncan? You've got to be kidding. Tim Duncan is like the most underrated bigman ever.

And Magic Johnson? And Kareem? WTF?

For current players I'd go with:

Kwame Brown -- Number one pick on the 2001 draft I believe...guy is freakin' pathetic.

Peja Stojackovic -- Does he do anything but chuck the ball up there?

Chris Webber -- The names should tell you why.

Stephon Marbury -- SUCKS. PERIOD.

Steve Francis -- *Cough*

Antoine Walker -- I wish I could find those pictures of him...

Keith Van Horn -- Freakin' soft.

I can't think of many more, but in my mind the all time most overrated player not in the league anymore is Patrick Ewing.

Kip Fanatic
12-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Let me pick one team by team.
Atlanta - Josh Smith...Good dunker. Nothing else.
Boston - Ricky Davis...Had one of the best dunks ever over Steve Nash. What else has he done?
Charlotte - Gerald Wallace - See above Josh Smith, but more scoring ability.
Chicago - Tyson Chandler - Very athletic for being 7ft. Has never been consistent.
Cleveland - Drew Gooden - Has the size, but won't ever stack up against the better PF's like Duncan and Garnett.
Dallas - Dirk - Can shoot really good for a guy his size. That's it folks.
Denver - Andre Miller - He's not really a point. If he would switch to shooting guard...nah. He has a one dimensional game.
Detroit - Antonio McDyess - He was very good before the injury, but too bad. This was a hard one because they are so darn good.
Golden State - A tie. Baron Davis and Jason Richardson - Both good in the scoring department more Baron than Richardson. Baron is way overrated and yet mentioned as one of the best point guards in the league. Richardson can dunk, but that's it.
Houston - Too easy. Yao. Very big player. Nothing else.
Indiana - Jamal Tinsley - Has never played a full 82. Has only averaged double figures in scoring once so far.
LA Clippers - Cuttino Mobley - Can shoot pretty good and score 15 or so on any given night, but can't do much else.
LA Lakers - Lamar Odom - Very athletic, but can only go left. Not a good defender.
Memphis - A tie. Pau Gasol and Eddie Jones - Leaning more towards Eddie Jones. Can score and defend at times, but received too much hype at time back in the day. Gasol is a seven footer and is doing great this year, but has never averaged 20+ in scoring and 10+ in rebounds.
Miami - Another tie. Jason Williams and Antoine Walker - Both can score. Nothing else to their game except that Williams can pass the ball really well, but can also turn the ball over very good too.
Milwaukee - Toni Kukoc - Was suppose to bring the glory back to Chi Town, but couldn't play D.
Minnesota - Wally Szczerbiak - Can't believe he made the All-Star game once.
New Jersey - Vince Carter - One of the best dunkers of all time if not the best. He can score a lot of points, but has never committed to playing any defense.
New Orleans Hornets - Desmond Mason - This one was hard because they really don't have anyone who has received a lot of hype recently. However, ever since he was in the dunk contest Mase was overrated for a while because of the dunking.
New York - Stephon Marbury - Proclaimed himself the best point guard in the game. I don't see it.
Orlando - Steve Francis - Was once called the Franchise. Funny. I don't see him with a ring and the Franchise was traded. How do you trade the Franchsie? Good scorer. That's about it.
Philadelphia - Chris Webber - It may be the knees, but he is overrated. Never really reached the level Duncan and Garnett are at. I almost picked AI.
Phoenix - Brian Grant - Looked really good for a while, but he came down from that cloud. He is listed as a center. Has only averaged 10+ in rebounding once. Gets schooled on too much.
Portland - Darius Miles - Looked good when he was playing alongside Q. Richardson when playing for the Clippers, but that ended really quick.
Sacramento - Mike Bibby - This was hard too because I want to say SAR. However, Bibby is the face of this franchise, but can't defend too good.
San Antonio - Nazr - I know many are asking why. I am basing this on fans here in the forum. So many want SA to sign him now for like another five years. Yet, I don't see why. He has good size, but doesn't use it well. He has an ugly shot and butter on his hands.
Seattle - Ray Allen - Can score and shoot lights out. That's it though. His teams haven't gotten anywhere.
Toronto - Jalen rose - I love his shot. That's it though.
Utah - Carlos Boozer - Looked really good next to Lebron. After that not so much. He needs to wear a shirt under his jersey. I hate that chest hair.
Washington - Antonio Daniels - Can't too much of anything. He's not a great passer, not a great scorer. He is a decent player, not good.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-01-2005, 03:17 PM
If you're gonna with any overrated Hawk I think you have to say Joe Johnson. No friggin way is he worth max money. I was kind of baffled as to why there was such a huge hullabaloo over him this free agent season. He was a good shooter for them and one of the few that even tried to play defense, but Suns management were wringing their hands like if he left they were doomed to a losing season, and Atlanta looked just plain stupid throwing that kind of money at him.

SA210
12-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Let me pick one team by team.
Atlanta - Josh Smith...Good dunker. Nothing else.
Boston - Ricky Davis...Had one of the best dunks ever over Steve Nash. What else has he done?
Charlotte - Gerald Wallace - See above Josh Smith, but more scoring ability.
Chicago - Tyson Chandler - Very athletic for being 7ft. Has never been consistent.
Cleveland - Drew Gooden - Has the size, but won't ever stack up against the better PF's like Duncan and Garnett.
Dallas - Dirk - Can shoot really good for a guy his size. That's it folks.
Denver - Andre Miller - He's not really a point. If he would switch to shooting guard...nah. He has a one dimensional game.
Detroit - Antonio McDyess - He was very good before the injury, but too bad. This was a hard one because they are so darn good.
Golden State - A tie. Baron Davis and Jason Richardson - Both good in the scoring department more Baron than Richardson. Baron is way overrated and yet mentioned as one of the best point guards in the league. Richardson can dunk, but that's it.
Houston - Too easy. Yao. Very big player. Nothing else.
Indiana - Jamal Tinsley - Has never played a full 82. Has only averaged double figures in scoring once so far.
LA Clippers - Cuttino Mobley - Can shoot pretty good and score 15 or so on any given night, but can't do much else.
LA Lakers - Lamar Odom - Very athletic, but can only go left. Not a good defender.
Memphis - A tie. Pau Gasol and Eddie Jones - Leaning more towards Eddie Jones. Can score and defend at times, but received too much hype at time back in the day. Gasol is a seven footer and is doing great this year, but has never averaged 20+ in scoring and 10+ in rebounds.
Miami - Another tie. Jason Williams and Antoine Walker - Both can score. Nothing else to their game except that Williams can pass the ball really well, but can also turn the ball over very good too.
Milwaukee - Toni Kukoc - Was suppose to bring the glory back to Chi Town, but couldn't play D.
Minnesota - Wally Szczerbiak - Can't believe he made the All-Star game once.
New Jersey - Vince Carter - One of the best dunkers of all time if not the best. He can score a lot of points, but has never committed to playing any defense.
New Orleans Hornets - Desmond Mason - This one was hard because they really don't have anyone who has received a lot of hype recently. However, ever since he was in the dunk contest Mase was overrated for a while because of the dunking.
New York - Stephon Marbury - Proclaimed himself the best point guard in the game. I don't see it.
Orlando - Steve Francis - Was once called the Franchise. Funny. I don't see him with a ring and the Franchise was traded. How do you trade the Franchsie? Good scorer. That's about it.
Philadelphia - Chris Webber - It may be the knees, but he is overrated. Never really reached the level Duncan and Garnett are at. I almost picked AI.
Phoenix - Brian Grant - Looked really good for a while, but he came down from that cloud. He is listed as a center. Has only averaged 10+ in rebounding once. Gets schooled on too much.
Portland - Darius Miles - Looked good when he was playing alongside Q. Richardson when playing for the Clippers, but that ended really quick.
Sacramento - Mike Bibby - This was hard too because I want to say SAR. However, Bibby is the face of this franchise, but can't defend too good.
San Antonio - Nazr - I know many are asking why. I am basing this on fans here in the forum. So many want SA to sign him now for like another five years. Yet, I don't see why. He has good size, but doesn't use it well. He has an ugly shot and butter on his hands.
Seattle - Ray Allen - Can score and shoot lights out. That's it though. His teams haven't gotten anywhere.
Toronto - Jalen rose - I love his shot. That's it though.
Utah - Carlos Boozer - Looked really good next to Lebron. After that not so much. He needs to wear a shirt under his jersey. I hate that chest hair.
Washington - Antonio Daniels - Can't too much of anything. He's not a great passer, not a great scorer. He is a decent player, not good.
pretty good list

leemajors
12-01-2005, 03:26 PM
duncan>jordan hands down

smoke crack much? maybe jordan in his 2nd unretirement.
NBA MVP (1988, '91, '92, '96, '98); 10-time All-NBA First Team (1987-93, 1996-98);Defensive Player of the Year (1988); Nine-time All-Defensive First Team (1988-93, 1996-98).
plus you have magic and bird saying he is/was the best. Magic Johnson said, "There's Michael Jordan and then there is the rest of us." Larry Bird, following a playoff game where Jordan dropped 63 points on the Boston Celtics in just his second season, appraisal of the young player was: "God disguised as Michael Jordan."
i don't see how you could ever say jordan was overrated, or that duncan is better than him hands down. but you're also the same person who wants to trade tony parker. duncan is awesome, but you wouldn't ever see jordan sitting at the end of the bench moping because people were playing him too rough.

T Park
12-01-2005, 03:36 PM
you're stupid

How so?

What has Vince Carter ever done, other than winning a dunk contest?

Thought so.

apology accepted

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-01-2005, 03:47 PM

:rolleyes ur joking right?

one dimensional? :lol

Dre is 10th among guards in boards, 9th in assists, and 18th in steals

:fro

Dre's got better numbers than TP, except in scoring.....so if anyone is more inclined to be one dimensional, it would be TP

Kip Fanatic
12-01-2005, 03:51 PM
:rolleyes ur joking right?

one dimensional? :lol

Dre is 10th among guards in boards, 9th in assists, and 18th in steals

:fro

Dre's got better numbers than TP, except in scoring.....so if anyone is more inclined to be one dimensional, it would be TP

How many years has TP been in the league? Miller? Thought so. Yet TP has two rings. Miller? None. :owned

ShoogarBear
12-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Steve Nash may not be the most overrated player of all time, but giving him the MVP was the most a player has ever been overrated.

tekdragon
12-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Geez, some of the posts in this thread have me rubbing my eyes to make sure I read them right...

Pippen > Kobe?
Duncan > Jordan?
Jordan overrated?

???

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-01-2005, 04:10 PM
How many years has TP been in the league? Miller? Thought so. Yet TP has two rings. Miller? None. :owned

ur pathetic...... :lol

the only argument u ever have is "how many rings blah blah blah?"

if The Spurs didnt have Duncan, then TP wouldnt have any rings....

get a new argument, that one is old, repetitive and plain stupid :fro

Kip Fanatic
12-01-2005, 04:14 PM

Said the bitter Nuggets fan who lost to the Spurs in the first round last season.

tlongII
12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Bruce Bowen

Xolotl
12-01-2005, 04:27 PM
My vote is for Keith Van Horn if the information I was looking at was right (I have to find it to post) then that guy is getting paid $15 million this year. That to me is overrated

polandprzem
12-01-2005, 04:27 PM
This thread starting to be stupid again :rolleyes

tekdragon
12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Garnett and Carmelo

Carmelo...that's a good one. He may still develop, but as for now, that's an good pick.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
The answer to this thread is Kobe Bryant.

They are dead fucking last in their division, being led by someone who was the original "next jordan"

kskonn
12-01-2005, 04:38 PM

maybe he is bitter, but he is right. without Tim ,manu and Tony don't have rings right now. Either do the spurs.

Kip Fanatic
12-01-2005, 05:08 PM
maybe he is bitter, but he is right. without Tim ,manu and Tony don't have rings right now. Either do the spurs.

The same could be said about a lot of good players. We are talking about overrated players.

Despot
12-01-2005, 05:57 PM
This list did not take long to evolve into a "which player do you dislike the most" list.

I remember J.R. Ried and Lloyd Daniels being overrated, especially for Spurs

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-01-2005, 07:44 PM
yeh its obvious that Spurs fans will pick Melo, coz he is going to OWN Bowen every time now

since the last couple of games in the playoffs last year with the nuggets-spurs, it has been obvious that Bowen isnt in Melo's head anymore, those days are gone

people say melo is overrated, why not say Manu then? he sucks this season.......he is overrated, he is an international team player but he cant do much in the NBA without Duncan.

Manu is very overrated, people on this board say VC is overrated yet Carter is much more talented than Manu ever will be

of course ill get wasted for my opinion but im sure even some spurs fans see that Manu is not all he is cracked up to be. What i do admire about Manu is how he steps up in playoff games but he doesnt do enough during the regular season to warrant all the props he gets.

Sense
12-01-2005, 08:09 PM
First off, Kobe has shitty teammates. Secondly, as a Spurs fan, you have seen what Kobe can do (all the playoff series he killed us in). Thirdly, Kobe was not the original "next Jordan". It was Penny and Hill.

I can't believe there are Spurs fans as stupid as you.

Sense
12-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Tim Duncan? Tim freakin' Duncan? You've got to be kidding. Tim Duncan is like the most underrated bigman ever.

And Magic Johnson? And Kareem? WTF?

For current players I'd go with:

Kwame Brown -- Number one pick on the 2001 draft I believe...guy is freakin' pathetic.

Peja Stojackovic -- Does he do anything but chuck the ball up there?

Chris Webber -- The names should tell you why.

Stephon Marbury -- SUCKS. PERIOD.

Steve Francis -- *Cough*

Antoine Walker -- I wish I could find those pictures of him...

Keith Van Horn -- Freakin' soft.

I can't think of many more, but in my mind the all time most overrated player not in the league anymore is Patrick Ewing.

He was kidding idiot.. :lmao

TurnNiggazDreams2Flames
12-01-2005, 08:10 PM
I can't believe there are Spurs fans as stupid as you.
why dont u provide facts to negate what he said

Leetonidas
12-01-2005, 08:12 PM
He was kidding idiot.. :lmao

:lol

< --- Idiot

Leetonidas
12-01-2005, 08:16 PM
yeh its obvious that Spurs fans will pick Melo, coz he is going to OWN Bowen every time now

since the last couple of games in the playoffs last year with the nuggets-spurs, it has been obvious that Bowen isnt in Melo's head anymore, those days are gone

people say melo is overrated, why not say Manu then? he sucks this season.......he is overrated, he is an international team player but he cant do much in the NBA without Duncan.

Manu is very overrated, people on this board say VC is overrated yet Carter is much more talented than Manu ever will be

of course ill get wasted for my opinion but im sure even some spurs fans see that Manu is not all he is cracked up to be. What i do admire about Manu is how he steps up in playoff games but he doesnt do enough during the regular season to warrant all the props he gets.

Who cares about Melo? Kenyon gets owned by Tim. That's enough in itself.

VC is overrated because of a couple things. He's never won anything and he has no heart. He admitted to not playing 100% in Toronto, so there you go. Guy can do it all in the regular season, but nothing in the playoffs.

Manu doesn't need to do anything during the regular season. That's why he's can't be overrated because he doesn't put up huge numbers until the playoffs, unlike Vince. Hell, I wish every Spurs player turned it up 5 notches the way Manu does. Manu does what is asked of him. That's why he destroyed Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, and for 4 games, Detroit.

Let's see Melo score 27 points against Tayshaun Prince. :lol

ambchang
12-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Carmelo played one good game against the Spurs in the regular season and one good game in a 5 game series, and he is all of a sudden redeemed? Carmelo has a good offensive game, but his defense is questionable, his passing is relatively weak, he has questionable judgement, well, he's quite one-dimensional. It is also quite obvious that the Nuggets' success lies with Camby, not Carmelo.
Manu was heralded as one of the best international players, and it's quite warranted. There are people who see Manu as a Latino Jordan, which is quite a reach, but he does have a good outside game, good slashing abilities, good passing, good defense, and his judgement is improving.

sanman53
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
RICK FOX! He just has a HOT wife...

Rummpd
12-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I am going to carefully say Shaq who one analyst called the best player ever in a book.

Shaq is a great center (top 5) and player but for all his supposed dominance has never won a block or rebounding title. Also, so far no title without Kobe and Jackson.

I also believe if the game was called right, much of Shaq's offensive prowess would instantly disappear, i.e. the drop the shoulder and bowl everyone over.

baseline bum
12-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Definitely Ewing, with Karl Malone #2. Ewing was supposed to be a defensive monster coming out of Georgetown, but never did reach the level of David, Hakeem, or even Zo on the defensive end. Offensively, all he ever did was shoot 15 footers. Warm Karl gets the nod at 2 since he was worthless in pressure situations. Back-to-back seasons he scored 8 points in elimination games his team lost to Portland. He choked his title away in 98 when he let Jordan strip him on the block with 20 seconds left in game 6 after Stockton had just made the clutch 3 to put the Jazz up by 3.

Pippen is on my list of the most underrated players ever. He's the best perimteter defender I've seen, and he's a jack of all trades. He didn't put up big numbers, but he delivered in a lot of big moments. Game 6 of the 92 Finals he singlehadedly pulled the Bulls from 14 down in the fourth quarter while Jordan was on the bench (he was having a horrible game). Game 6 of the 98 Finals he played the whole game despite his back being so screwed he could barely walk. You have to be impressed that he led Portland to a game 7 with a 13-point 4th quarter lead from down 1-3 to a Lakers team that won 67 games.

LilMissSPURfect
12-02-2005, 01:34 AM
KG....all that talent an nothing to show fo...(no leadership skillz not mvp worthy in my book)

Warlord23
12-02-2005, 06:18 AM
Most overrated...

Category 1: Celtic HoFs who got there simply because they had the good fortune of playing with instead of against each other:
K.C. Jones, Tommy Heinsohn, Bill Sharman, Sam Jones

Category 2: Wing players who got prematurely touted as franchise players because people all over the basketball world wanted someone anointed as the next MJ
Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Harold Miner

Category 3: Point guards who think they need to score half their team's points
Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas

Category 4: Glorified role-players
Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, John Paxson, Horace Grant, Kenny Smith

ShoogarBear
12-02-2005, 09:29 AM
You forgot Category 5 (or Category 2a): Guys who were touted as "the next Larry Bird" just because they were white:

Danny Ferry, Keith Van Horn, Michael Smith, Peja, Christian Laettner, Troy Murphy, Tom Gugliotta, JJ Redick

(None stayed overrated for very long, however.)

mookie2001
12-02-2005, 10:58 AM
ur pathetic......

get a new argument, that one is old, repetitive and plain stupid
that is a really lame arguement, arguements should be be based on street cred, jersey sales, shoe deals, ESPN facetime, PPG and salary

tekdragon
12-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Most overrated...

Category 1: Celtic HoFs who got there simply because they had the good fortune of playing with instead of against each other:
K.C. Jones, Tommy Heinsohn, Bill Sharman, Sam Jones

Category 2: Wing players who got prematurely touted as franchise players because people all over the basketball world wanted someone anointed as the next MJ
Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Harold Miner

Category 3: Point guards who think they need to score half their team's points
Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas

Category 4: Glorified role-players
Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, John Paxson, Horace Grant, Kenny Smith

Sound list. I'll have to take exception to AI, though. He is what he is...but could you really ask more of him? Not me...I think he's pretty great.

that is a really lame arguement, arguements should be be based on street cred, jersey sales, shoe deals, ESPN facetime, PPG and salary
:tu

cherylsteele
12-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Some overrated players:

Ralph Sampson
Alfredric Hughes

ALVAREZ6
12-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Antoine Walker is very over-reated, and so is Gary Payton, or at least he was. Now everyone knows he just sucks...

shelshor
12-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Michael Jordan and 'Magic' Johnson

Rick Von Braun
12-02-2005, 05:59 PM
You forgot Category 5 (or Category 2a): Guys who were touted as "the next Larry Bird" just because they were white:

Danny Ferry, Keith Van Horn, Michael Smith, Peja, Christian Laettner, Troy Murphy, Tom Gugliotta, JJ Redick

(None stayed overrated for very long, however.) I actually think Troy Murphy is a pretty decent player... NOT Larry Bird caliber, but pretty decent.

Some of the current/active most overrated players should be Antoine Walker and Michael Redd.

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 06:10 PM
I really don't think Antoine Walker is overrated anymore... He's basically a punchline these days.

ducks
12-02-2005, 06:11 PM
the cotoyete

baseline bum
12-02-2005, 06:13 PM
No LeBron, ducks?

ShoogarBear
12-02-2005, 06:17 PM
No LeBron, ducks?

Really. I thought that one would have been a slam duck.