PDA

View Full Version : Best trade prospects for Spurs

Pages : [1] 2

wildbill2u
11-26-2022, 12:54 PM
Is Golden State's Wiseman a good potential trade for the Spurs?

Spurs’ most realistic trade target after first month of 2022-23 season (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/spurs-most-realistic-trade-target-after-first-month-of-2022-23-season/ar-AA14AlA3?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d7834406d44a42559ac09169cd5a4969)

I'm never sold on a guy who appears to be uninterested in his own development, but you seldom get a shot at a very high draft pick in a trade. Maybe he's just sulking because he's down in the G League and a new opportunity will wake him up.

exstatic
11-26-2022, 01:06 PM

Spurs’ most realistic trade target after first month of 2022-23 season (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/spurs-most-realistic-trade-target-after-first-month-of-2022-23-season/ar-AA14AlA3?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d7834406d44a42559ac09169cd5a4969)

I'm never sold on a guy who appears to be uninterested in his own development, but you seldom get a shot at a very high draft pick in a trade. Maybe he's just sulking because he's down in the G League and a new opportunity will wake him up.

He’s pretty awful, and only played 39 games in his first two seasons. His first meniscus surgery was botched, he had to have a second one, and what should have been like 2-3 months cost him all of last season.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-26-2022, 01:17 PM
Not a fan of Wiseman, he simply doesn't know how to play, Pop would hate him. Besides, not sure GS are ready to admit they've made a mistake with him.

New York is one of the best potential trade partners - they have a lot of picks and they badly need to make moves. Something like JRich for Fournier's contract + one of their firsts would help both teams.

Other good trade partners are Chicago, Memphis, Phoenix and Toronto.

wildbill2u
11-26-2022, 01:28 PM
Not a fan of Wiseman, he simply doesn't know how to play, Pop would hate him. Besides, not sure GS are ready to admit they've made a mistake with him.

New York is one of the best potential trade partners - they have a lot of picks and they badly need to make moves. Something like JRich for Fournier's contract + one of their firsts would help both teams.

Other good trade partners are Chicago, Memphis, Phoenix and Toronto.

I was kinda hoping this thread would come up with actual names of players who we might trade for instead of franchises who we could trade with. A trade for Future picks has been done to death and once you get into future picks the absolute uncertainty of what you might wind up with makes all those trades very risky. You might buy a pig in a poke, eh? But I like it that you mention Fournier since it gives us (or at least the trade gurus on ST) a specific player to analyze.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-26-2022, 02:34 PM
I was kinda hoping this thread would come up with actual names of players who we might trade for instead of franchises who we could trade with. A trade for Future picks has been done to death and once you get into future picks the absolute uncertainty of what you might wind up with makes all those trades very risky. You might buy a pig in a poke, eh? But I like it that you mention Fournier since it gives us (or at least the trade gurus on ST) a specific player to analyze.

Well I think there are generally two types of players the Spurs might look to trade for - bad contracts that teams would be willing to pay to get rid of (Fournier, Robinson, Shamet, etc) and players still on rookie contracts, that Spurs might have liked during the draft evaluations, who have lost their way and need a change of scenery (Coby White, Okeke, Thybulle, etc).

heyheymymy
11-26-2022, 03:08 PM
Trying to find a win-win deal with the Knicks bc they have a few 23 FRPs hoarded. NYK, DET (top 18 protection) DAL (top 10 protection) and WSH (top 14 protection).

Fournier at the deadline would cover more than half of his 2022 18mm and then it's just one more year, 23, at 18mm before 2024 which is 19mm but a team option. Spurs could jettison all but maybe little more than say ~25mm of his hit and add a FRP while offloading surplus to requirements personnel like Doug etc.

But I haven't even ran trade sims to see what matches and if there is a deal even there to begin with that both sides might hear out. EDIT: looks like Doug for Fournier works straight up but obvs doubtful NYK views the value worth a tack on FRP or even a 2RP.

Ariel
11-26-2022, 04:10 PM
I'm not opposed to picking up Wiseman, but I AM against giving up valuable assets (i.e. Poeltl, picks) for him, because even though he's got the physical tools and seems like a level headed guy, he's also injury prone, way too raw, and into his third year as a pro, meaning his rookie scale contract will be up soon and whoever gets him will likely have to face the difficult choice of overpaying or losing the investment in him.
Given Golden State's salary situation I doubt they'll invest heavily into him, so chances are they'll want to offload him sooner rather than later, and the price will have to come down. He's kind of Marvin Bagley, only farther behind. If we can get him for a second rounder or two + salary filler (McDermott?), I'm in, we can invest the time an resources for him to succeed. If not, move along and wait for other opportunities.

DPG21920
11-26-2022, 06:04 PM
Is CHA ever going to make a move to try and improve? You’d think they would start trying to press for playoffs and could use some good players..simply remove protections from the pick we already own and offer up Jak/Richardson etc..

Ariel
11-26-2022, 06:07 PM
Is CHA ever going to make a move to try and improve? You’d think they would start trying to press for playoffs and could use some good players..simply remove protections from the pick we already own and offer up Jak/Richardson etc..
Forget it. Bridges is gone, Hayward is injured long term, Lamelo is out... they're tanking. Our best bet is them getting a huge impact player and turning it around in 2 years time, in order for us to collect the pick they owe us in the first round.

baseline bum
11-26-2022, 06:15 PM

Meh the number you're picked at is meaningless 2.5 years later. That ship has sailed, I'm not giving up good players for a bust. NBA history is littered with #2 picks who couldn't play, guys like Stromile Swift, Derrick Williams, Michael Beasley, Hasheem Thabeet, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Evan Turner, Marvin Bagley, etc. I'd take Wiseman on as a cheap reclamation project this summer when Golden State doesn't pick up their option on him but that's as far as I'd go with him.

Kevin
11-26-2022, 06:52 PM
Meh the number you're picked at is meaningless 2.5 years later. That ship has sailed, I'm not giving up good players for a bust. NBA history is littered with #2 picks who couldn't play, guys like Stromile Swift, Derrick Williams, Michael Beasley, Hasheem Thabeet, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Evan Turner, Marvin Bagley, etc. I'd take Wiseman on as a cheap reclamation project this summer when Golden State doesn't pick up their option on him but that's as far as I'd go with him.

Agree 100%. Spurs fans have to move past this guy already.

Richardson would be a good fit on the Hawks since they have a pair of expiring contracts matching J-Rich’s deal. Plus these organizations know each other very well after last summer.

exstatic
11-26-2022, 07:03 PM

You still don’t get it. Evaluating Fournier is a waste of time. He has no future here. He’s cap space rental for picks they’ll be sending along with. He’s older than JRich, who strongly implied in his final media after the play in that he expected to be traded.

Picks are a risk, which is why you need to get A LOT OF THEM. They’re the only way to start over. Trading for veteran players is a dead end.

Mr. Body
11-26-2022, 10:55 PM
Wiseman not only is a long-term project -- at the very best -- he's extremely expensive due to where he was picked. Just... no.

I think getting young prospects will be hard to do. It seems more common in the NBA to trade for picks at this point. I'd definitely look to move Poeltl, Richardson, McDougie at this point.

baseline bum
11-27-2022, 12:22 AM
Wiseman not only is a long-term project -- at the very best -- he's extremely expensive due to where he was picked. Just... no.

I think getting young prospects will be hard to do. It seems more common in the NBA to trade for picks at this point. I'd definitely look to move Poeltl, Richardson, McDougie at this point.

He'll probably be cheap this summer because no way Golden State is picking up that team option with how much luxury tax they're paying. Though I still imagine some team will throw a one year $5 million Lonnie Walker type deal at him.

poopbox
11-27-2022, 01:39 AM
We need to trade one of our 1st round picks for a pair of balls tbh

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-27-2022, 02:13 AM
He'll probably be cheap this summer because no way Golden State is picking up that team option with how much luxury tax they're paying. Though I still imagine some team will throw a one year $5 million Lonnie Walker type deal at him.

They've already picked his 4th year option - it's over $12 mil and will cost them $30+ mil with luxury tax. They're not ready to admit he's a bust.

CGD
11-27-2022, 11:01 AM

I’m thinking these two moves net us the most draft capital, which should be the goal:

Trade 1:
PHX: Richardson
MIA: Crowder + Romeo
SAS: Robinson + Saric + 2 MIA FRP + 1 PHX FRP

Trade 2:
LAL: Doug + Hortford
BOS: Jakob
SAS: Brick + LAL FRP + BOS FRP + BOS swap right

Spurs Summary
OUT: Doug, Romeo, Josh, Jakob
IN: Brick, Saric, Robinson, 5 FRP (varying protections), BOS swap right

CGD
11-27-2022, 12:11 PM
^ variants to above:

- MIA sends Jovic instead of a second pick

- Deal Jakob for Wiseman + FRP instead of involving BOS

Either way it’s 5 picks (if you count Jovic)

Kevin
11-27-2022, 12:18 PM
^ variants to above:

- MIA sends Jovic instead of a second pick

- Deal Jakob for Wiseman + FRP instead of involving BOS

Either way it’s 5 picks (if you count Jovic)

I really doubt the Spurs trade Jak if they're really demanding two lightly protected first round picks as reported by LJ. If anyone is crazy enough to meet the Spurs demand they should just trade for Myles Turner instead.

BacktoBasics
11-27-2022, 12:24 PM
I really doubt the Spurs trade Jak if they're really demanding two lightly protected first round picks as reported by LJ. If anyone is crazy enough to meet the Spurs demand they should just trade for Myles Turner instead.

At that price you're correct.

I don't see MIA giving up 2 FRP for Crowder and Romeo. Makes no sense.

CGD
11-27-2022, 12:47 PM

Yeah that was completely unserious in my view (demand not the reporting), even at the start of the season. Position had only weakened as season has gone on.

I think Wiseman & protected FRP is realistic though. Spurs may see an opportunity to salvage value from Wiseman later as a way to get their “second” pick later.

CGD
11-27-2022, 12:54 PM
At that price you're correct.

I don't see MIA giving up 2 FRP for Crowder and Romeo. Makes no sense.

It’s not getting Crowder as much as it is getting off Robinson. That alone merits one pick.

BackHome
11-27-2022, 12:59 PM
Yeah people forget taking on a shitty contract you either going to want a talented young player or a first round pick in return in eating millions of dollars for a player who might just be released

CGD
11-27-2022, 01:03 PM
Yeah people forget taking on a shitty contract you either going to want a talented young player or a first round pick in return in eating millions of dollars for a player who might just be released

I agree that Crowder (and Richardson honestly) could be waiver candidates in March if not traded sooner, but I dont think we’re at that stage of the season yet. Crowder has generated a lot of trade buzz for example.

Again, for Miami it’s about dumping Robinson perhaps more than picking up a useful player that also happens to be on an expiring…

BacktoBasics
11-27-2022, 01:42 PM
It’s not getting Crowder as much as it is getting off Robinson. That alone merits one pick.

Well shit. I completely missed that. I’ll walk back my comment. Two firsts might not be enough for that contract.

CGD
11-27-2022, 01:50 PM
Well shit. I completely missed that. I’ll walk back my comment. Two firsts might not be enough for that contract.

Yeah, it’s not excellent. But hopefully Doug’s money for next year gets moved is a separate deal too. I think two picks or a pick + young asset (Jovic?) is fair value.

heyheymymy
11-27-2022, 02:40 PM
What years are these FRPs in such trade projections? Any chance you see these teams sending 2023 FRPs or are the picks in latter years beyond?

I'm obsessed with adding even just 1 more 23 FRP after how well the 3x 2022 picks seem to have gone.

CGD
11-27-2022, 03:03 PM
What years are these FRPs in such trade projections? Any chance you see these teams sending 2023 FRPs or are the picks in latter years beyond?

I'm obsessed with adding even just 1 more 23 FRP after how well the 3x 2022 picks seem to have gone.

The only one i see unprotected is the LAL pick involving Brick (but for 2027). I would expect all others to contain some level of protection and/or be from teams (Suns/Heat/GSW/BOS) that are expected to be playoff teams. My preference would be to push those out as far as possible.

heyheymymy
11-27-2022, 05:12 PM
Very realistic pick thoughts CGD. I still would not mind just 1 more 2023 to swing with while the iron seems hot plus Spurs already have some hoarding in 2024 - 2028 with CHA ATL BOS FRPs etc so while I agree that I still want to stagger some draft capital especially since SA just got 3x new personnel already in the oven as we speak but we must balance that properly by not sliding too much down the timeline either. Tricky balance but I trust FO to keep making wise choices.

Hard part is packing up a deal that everyone likes but Spurs have some decent trade pieces and time on their side as the deadline nears and desperation peaks I see something getting done that looks advantageous to SA.

mo7888
11-27-2022, 05:47 PM
I'm very high on the top 8-10 in this draft. Another thing I like about what CGD is proposing here is that accumulating so much future draft capital lets us be very aggressive in this draft. I could see a couple teams that could end up in that 8-10 position that might rather have two or three future firsts to give them more future trade options chasing a star. Larger market teams like GS, NY, or Miami...

If we struck gold on Wembanyama and could pick up a 2nd pick in that 8-10 range we might could get AT..or Smith...or Black...a large PG with high upside. That would be the homerun of all homeruns in my book...

heyheymymy
11-27-2022, 07:57 PM
Exactly. Getting another 23 FRP is paramount this year because Spurs own 23 FRP looks like it will be quite tops itself. Imagine being able to double dip in the 23 lottery with how deep it seems. With a solid core already around and good money situation long term?

the boys are back in town baby

slick'81
11-27-2022, 08:20 PM
Tank the fck outta this season!

exstatic
11-27-2022, 09:13 PM
Exactly. Getting another 23 FRP is paramount this year because Spurs own 23 FRP looks like it will be quite tops itself. Imagine being able to double dip in the 23 lottery with how deep it seems. With a solid core already around and good money situation long term?

the boys are back in town baby

I’m not sure there are the resources to develop 5 players at one time. The 2022s will still be in development in year 2. I think their focus will be 70% on Wemby if we get him, and 30% on the 2023s, assuming we don’t trade one or two to avoid having to pay 3 players at the same time.

Chinook
11-27-2022, 10:01 PM
Honestly had no interest in taking more than an additional year of salary. The Spurs need to be ready to move with their cap space if they're seeing improvement. Miami isn't going to pay multiple unprotected picks to get rid or Robinson. At this point, I'd be fine with no trades unless the team has already decided to dump Poeltl and passes up on a first-rounder playing chicken at the end of the year. If they still want to re-sign him, even a late-first isn't worth it

heyheymymy
11-27-2022, 10:27 PM
I’m not sure there are the resources to develop 5 players at one time. The 2022s will still be in development in year 2. I think their focus will be 70% on Wemby if we get him, and 30% on the 2023s, assuming we don’t trade one or two to avoid having to pay 3 players at the same time.

damn you make a great point and at what level does the coaching staff start bursting at the seams? I've got my mind on the fact we already have the 2022 3x in the oven cooking still, but 2023 looks so deep man I hate to miss out on a second FRP from that class. But you're right, there is a maximum capacity for development and roster slots and Spurs are not the types to waste much. If SA can lock up #1 or #2 though that might just be the cherry on top anyway, though.

heyheymymy
11-27-2022, 10:30 PM
losing Primo does open up 1 dev slot imho

heyheymymy
11-27-2022, 11:15 PM
SAS: Westbrook, LAL 2026 SRP, LAL 2027 FRP unprotected
LAL: Richardson, McDermott

SAS: Fournier, NYK (DAL) 2023 FRP top-10 protected, NYK (MIA) 2024 SRP top-55 protected, NYK (MIL) 2025 FRP top-4 protected
NYK: Poeltl, Langford

Lakers trade: The FRP is for the space rent on WB's contract. LAL is -46mm, so this deal nearly halves the amount; 47mm going out and 25mm coming in. The SRP is for the inherent value of JR/MCD and should be another FRP but LAL is being difficult.

Knicks trade: Spurs responsible for whatever remainder of Fournier's 2023 18mm, his full 2024 18mm, but then Spurs use his team option to decline Fournier's 19mm due in 2025. He is renting space for little more than 1 season for the reward of 2 FRPs and 1 SRP. That's 2 FRPs since Spurs wanted 2 for Poeltl so it's 1 FRP for Poeltl, 1 FRP for the Fournier contract bailout, and the SRP for Langford ballast value acknowledgments.

Both deals work in Trade Machine.

CGD
11-28-2022, 07:59 AM
Honestly had no interest in taking more than an additional year of salary. The Spurs need to be ready to move with their cap space if they're seeing improvement. Miami isn't going to pay multiple unprotected picks to get rid or Robinson. At this point, I'd be fine with no trades unless the team has already decided to dump Poeltl and passes up on a first-rounder playing chicken at the end of the year. If they still want to re-sign him, even a late-first isn't worth it

I’m of the view that having huge capspace is overstated small cap teams more often than not— at least if the goal is signing a key free agent. How many times have we see it flame out and/or a small market team having to give out a massive overpay to a mediocre player (the 2016 FA class comes to mind)?

I support having capspace as a means to acquire draft capital though, which is my preferred strategy for a sustainable rebuild. Its the thought with eating that Robinson salary, and/or salary an over the tax team like PHX might send our way (Saric, Shatmat etc).

As an aside, I do think the risk of inaction for the spurs become real the closer we get to the deadline. I bet that when it’s reported that Miami is “keeping an eye” on Richardson, it’s because they think he’ll be a prime buyout candidate after the deadline.

exstatic
11-28-2022, 02:47 PM
losing Primo does open up 1 dev slot imho

I think it just relieved the pressure on developing the 22s. I’d actually be fine with another 23 pick if we send out one of the 22s in the deal, probably Branham.

BacktoBasics
11-28-2022, 03:47 PM
I think it just relieved the pressure on developing the 22s. I’d actually be fine with another 23 pick if we send out one of the 22s in the deal, probably Branham.

I don’t see the logic in moving prospects to acquire picks of the unknown that would fall in the late teens to 20’s before even scratching the surface of our current ones.

One could even argue that returning a mid 1st carries more risk than developing good character guys like Branham who we’d already have half a season invested in.

Unless they’re sour on him. Too many unknowns.

Mr. Body
11-28-2022, 04:40 PM
We already shitcanning Branham?

Ariel
11-28-2022, 05:03 PM
We already shitcanning Branham?
Well... he's already 19, and he's had all of 2 months to put it together. Clearly he's a bust.

heyheymymy
11-28-2022, 07:03 PM
I don't know about dumping Bran so soon but I agree with ex that development capacity is probably more critical than the avg fan thinks.

Don't want more horses than you have stables for and look ahead, Spurs have a trove of picks coming 2024 - 2028. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the plug quickly on someone new just depending on how the player is tracking and how the team future appears to be looking/shaping up.

heyheymymy
11-28-2022, 07:11 PM
That said, trades and contracts could open up new unforeseen slots. If you trade JR, MCD and/or Doug and say Poeltl walks, Spurs will be graduating up the newer potential whether they are ready or not. Now that doesn't necessarily magically create additional dev coaches/resources but you could free up a lot of roster slots regardless pretty quickly depending on how many trades and how many ending contracts don't return.

Roby, KBD and Dieng all look like they fall off the books this upcoming offseason too in addition to the expirings with trade value (JR, Doug, Poeltl)

BackHome
11-29-2022, 01:05 AM
I don't know about dumping Bran so soon but I agree with ex that development capacity is probably more critical than the avg fan thinks.

Don't want more horses than you have stables for and look ahead, Spurs have a trove of picks coming 2024 - 2028. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the plug quickly on someone new just depending on how the player is tracking and how the team future appears to be looking/shaping up.

Yeah, let’s say we don’t get the first or second pick we could then end up with the best SG or SF in the draft who definitely would impact playing time for Branham - Not saying I want to but I could see it happening a lot depends on who we draft as they going to impact one of the starters for sure

CGD
11-29-2022, 09:52 AM
Yeah, let’s say we don’t get the first or second pick we could then end up with the best SG or SF in the draft who definitely would impact playing time for Branham - Not saying I want to but I could see it happening a lot depends on who we draft as they going to impact one of the starters for sure

I'm not worried about it at this point. The reality is that we will cycle through at least half our current guys before we get another competitive team (including Keldon). Grab as many lotto tickets as possible and hope the timelines match up reasonably well.

exstatic
11-29-2022, 09:57 AM

You don’t trade him during the season, but on draft night if a team has been calling about him, you call them when they’re on the clock if there’s a player you really like.

I like Malaki, but of the three 22s, he’s probably got the lowest ceiling, like good bench scorer. He’s the epitome of the trope that it’s easier to teach a defender to score than a scorer to defend.

Excessive Egotist
11-29-2022, 01:19 PM
I'm not advocating for a Keldon Johnson trade, but I do wonder what kind of market he has. He is an easy on court fit for several teams (Kings, Knicks, Suns, Blazers) who are an impact player away from contention or getting into the playoffs.

My guess is KJ could command two FRPs, one lightly protected or unprotected. The Knicks could offer that for the upcoming draft. Something like Cam Reddish, Obi Toppin, their own '23 unprotected, and Washington's pick, which is protected and may not convey this year.

I wonder if the Spurs see KJ as their best trade asset or a piece of their future core?

Excessive Egotist
11-29-2022, 01:29 PM
On the frequently suggested Poeltl to the Warriors...

I propose Poeltl and Richardson (and one of Bates-Diop or Roby) for Kuminga, Moody, and '26 FRP unprotected. Wiseman would have to be included to make the salaries match. Wiseman's gleague plus/minus suggests he shouldn't be on a gleague court. His trade value is very, very low. The Warriors will frame him as the former number 2 pick, but every team they try to push him onto will respond by saying in his third NBA season Wiseman is -35 in the gleague. Lacob is too proud to admit it, but Wiseman is not worth much more than salary filler atm.

exstatic
11-29-2022, 04:24 PM
I'm not advocating for a Keldon Johnson trade, but I do wonder what kind of market he has. He is an easy on court fit for several teams (Kings, Knicks, Suns, Blazers) who are an impact player away from contention or getting into the playoffs.

My guess is KJ could command two FRPs, one lightly protected or unprotected. The Knicks could offer that for the upcoming draft. Something like Cam Reddish, Obi Toppin, their own '23 unprotected, and Washington's pick, which is protected and may not convey this year.

I wonder if the Spurs see KJ as their best trade asset or a piece of their future core?

Trading Keldon is weird until July. He been extended, but he’s not IN his extension yet, but you can’t match his current salary and call it a day. Their are weird rules about salary we can accept in return, and what he would count for in a trade.

KingKev
11-29-2022, 05:53 PM
Trading Keldon is weird until July. He been extended, but he’s not IN his extension yet, but you can’t match his current salary and call it a day. Their are weird rules about salary we can accept in return, and what he would count for in a trade.

Yeah his trade value probably peaks a year into his next deal.

TD 21
11-29-2022, 06:05 PM

I'm skeptical he'd fetch an unprotected 1st especially from a starless team with an uncertain future.

As far as with the Spurs, it probably comes down to timing. If they luck into a centerpiece (particularly a non-wing one) within' the next two drafts who can fast track the re-build, then he'd fit the timeline. If not, then it becomes similar to what we've seen with recent trades here.

exstatic
11-29-2022, 06:14 PM
I'm skeptical he'd fetch an unprotected 1st especially from a starless team with an uncertain future.

As far as with the Spurs, it probably comes down to timing. If they luck into a centerpiece (particularly a non-wing one) within' the next two drafts who can fast track the re-build, then he'd fit the timeline. If not, then it becomes similar to what we've seen with recent trades here.

Did you see us pulling two unprotected FRPs, and an unprotected swap for DJ?

TD 21
11-29-2022, 06:26 PM
Did you see us pulling two unprotected FRPs, and an unprotected swap for DJ?

I think him having some accolades to his name created a myth of his being better than he actually is and led to a desperate organization who had an antsy star applying pressure behind the scenes being determined to close the deal.

With Johnson, there's also the question of his fit on an aspiring contender. He might just be a bigger version of Powell, who the league has settled on as a 6th man for those types.

buttsR4rebounding
11-29-2022, 07:44 PM
I think him having some accolades to his name created a myth of his being better than he actually is and led to a desperate organization who had an antsy star applying pressure behind the scenes being determined to close the deal.

With Johnson, there's also the question of his fit on an aspiring contender. He might just be a bigger version of Powell, who the league has settled on as a 6th man for those types.

I always felt KJ would be perfect for an energy guy off the bench for a real contender.

wildbill2u
11-29-2022, 07:53 PM
Aren't we just giving KJ more props than he is due, simply because he is the best scorer (we hope) on a team with so many deficiencies. He's still a 'tweener in physical size and ability with questionable BB IQ and who has some problems on defense and rebounding, no? I have serious doubts that a lot of teams are looking for his skills at SF for a starting job.He's probably lucky to be playing/starting on a team that needs his limited skills.

I mean we all want him to be a great success because he is all we've got right now-- but is it really possible to envision him on the court in an All=Star game??? Or as the core high value player in our rebuild??? I dunno.

That said, I'd trade him in a minute for a couple of FR unprotected picks that might land us in the lottery down the line. Too bad Isaiah Thomas isn't still a GM somewhere in the league.

tonight...you
11-29-2022, 08:29 PM
Aren't we just giving KJ more props than he is due, simply because he is the best scorer (we hope) on a team with so many deficiencies. He's still a 'tweener in physical size and ability with questionable BB IQ and who has some problems on defense and rebounding, no? I have serious doubts that a lot of teams are looking for his skills at SF for a starting job.He's probably lucky to be playing/starting on a team that needs his limited skills.

I mean we all want him to be a great success because he is all we've got right now-- but is it really possible to envision him on the court in an All=Star game??? Or as the core high value player in our rebuild??? I dunno.

That said, I'd trade him in a minute for a couple of FR unprotected picks that might land us in the lottery down the line. Too bad Isaiah Thomas isn't still a GM somewhere in the league.
A couple of unprotected 1st rounders?
Yes all day.

scott
11-30-2022, 02:07 AM
Great points made about developmental bandwidth… but one thing I like about stocking up all these future draft picks is that they don’t all need to turn into rookies on our roster at some point. Say we do land Wemby in the draft, we’ll now we’ve got the resources available to acquire (via trade) a piece that was what Terry Cummings was an incoming rookie David Robinson. When it is time to compete, we don’t want a roster filled with developmental youth - but since it is difficult to attract FA, we can turn these draft picks into some handy vets.

scott
11-30-2022, 02:08 AM
A couple of unprotected 1st rounders?
Yes all day.

I do think about how Keldon fits as we keep going through the rebuild and the best player available is a SF with more upside than Keldon (could happen as soon as this draft with someone like Brandon Miller). At that point, it will start to become in our interest to trade him as that prospect develops.

SpurSpike
11-30-2022, 05:02 PM
I know this isn't a trade but i hope we go after Shake Milton in free agency next off season. We need a point guard and he is showing to be a hidden gem in this league with Harden and Maxey out. This dude needs to be a starting somewhere! Especially if we trade away some of our vets, we will need a vet to take their place and the point guard position is a good position to have a vet who already knows how to run a team.

exstatic
11-30-2022, 06:05 PM
I know this isn't a trade but i hope we go after Shake Milton in free agency next off season. We need a point guard and he is showing to be a hidden gem in this league with Harden and Maxey out. This dude needs to be a starting somewhere! Especially if we trade away some of our vets, we will need a vet to take their place and the point guard position is a good position to have a vet who already knows how to run a team.

26, mid, restricted, meaning overpay. Pass.

SpurSpike
11-30-2022, 07:49 PM
26, mid, restricted, meaning overpay. Pass.

Oh I thought he was unrestricted, in that case yeah would probably be an overpay since he is playing like a borderline all-star right now. Still maybe once Harden and Maxey come back everyone forgets how good Shake was when he was a starter and you can grab him for a reasonable sum?

scott
11-30-2022, 10:20 PM
Tbh might be in the Spurs interest to take a package for Vassell too.

exstatic
11-30-2022, 10:24 PM

Uh, no. He’s literally our only 3 level scorer.

scott
11-30-2022, 10:25 PM
Uh, no. He’s literally our only 3 level scorer.

Players out, assets in.

exstatic
11-30-2022, 10:33 PM
Players out, assets in.

Yeah, you don’t want to completely strip the team of all talent, and put too much on Wembys or whoever’s shoulders. That was Phillys fatal mistake. When the talent got there, the rest of the roster was gleague. We’re doing just fine on the tank. No need to go scorched earth.

CGD
11-30-2022, 10:37 PM

Hell no, Devon is a keeper. A core around him, Sochan, and Scoot Henderson would be a solid start.

scott
11-30-2022, 11:02 PM
Hell no, Devon is a keeper. A core around him, Sochan, and Scoot Henderson would be a solid start.

Maybe I’m vastly underestimating Dev and Sochan, but this does not sound like a core to get us anywhere

Vince Carter's ankle
12-01-2022, 02:42 AM
Players out, assets in.
Can you guarantee that a player better than Devin will come under one of the draft picks?

CGD
12-01-2022, 09:03 AM
Wow just went back and looked at the 2020 draft. there is a really good case right now that Devon is a top 4/top 5 pick if they redraft it today.

BackHome
12-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Even if we get Wemb our team is still going to be terrible as they should wrap him up in a bubble suit his first year - He is so young and tall and skinny we need to first build him up and then slowly let him dip his big toe in the pond maybe around mid season. But his body definitely will not be ready for the NBA and will have to work on conditioning as his current teams plays so little the NBA is a long grinding season.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Wow just went back and looked at the 2020 draft. there is a really good case right now that Devon is a top 4/top 5 pick if they redraft it today.

Ant, LaMelo, Haliburton, Maxey, Bane.

Probably 6th.

exstatic
12-01-2022, 09:27 AM
Maybe I’m vastly underestimating Dev and Sochan, but this does not sound like a core to get us anywhere

You need a franchise guy, and then a core to build around. Think Tim, then Manu, Tony, Bruce. Core guys aren’t THE guy, they’re the OTHER guys. They’ll be the veteran, support presence, taking on much of the scoring load, kinda like Terry Cummings with David.

Don’t sleep on Sochan, though. If he is a PG, and I think he has a high probability, he should have been a top 3 pick. 6’9” guys with court vision who can handle and pass off the bounce don’t grow on trees. Throw in top flight defender, and…

CGD
12-01-2022, 09:38 AM

Probably 6th.

Not bad at all, maybe higher in a few years

exstatic
12-01-2022, 10:00 AM

Probably 6th.

Ant’s really overrated, and kind of adumbass. Vassell is a much better long range shooter and defender.

Chomag
12-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Just can't wait for the. "We like what we have"

Drom John
12-01-2022, 10:37 AM
For career I like Basketball-Reference, because FiveThirtyEight doesn't seem to have a career version.

Draft 2020 WS
1. Haliburton
2. Bane
3. Maxey
4. Stewart
5. Ball
6. Quickley
7. Bey
8. Okongwu
9. Martin
10. Edwards
11. Pritchard
12. Vassell

20. Jones

VORP
1. Haliburton
2. Ball
3. Bane
4. Maxey
5. Edwards
6. Quickley
7. Bey
8. Toppin
9. Pritchard
10. Vassell

16. Jones

WS/48
19. Jones
25. Vassell

Above
Fiesta colored glasses.

Rocalcio
12-01-2022, 10:47 AM

Apart from Edwards and Ball he's probably better than all the players picked before him. Halliburton, picked just after him, is probably better today though.

exstatic
12-01-2022, 11:09 AM
For career I like Basketball-Reference, because FiveThirtyEight doesn't seem to have a career version.

Draft 2020 WS
1. Haliburton
2. Bane
3. Maxey
4. Stewart
5. Ball
6. Quickley
7. Bey
8. Okongwu
9. Martin
10. Edwards
11. Pritchard
12. Vassell

20. Jones

VORP
1. Haliburton
2. Ball
3. Bane
4. Maxey
5. Edwards
6. Quickley
7. Bey
8. Toppin
9. Pritchard
10. Vassell

16. Jones

WS/48
19. Jones
25. Vassell

Above
Fiesta colored glasses.

Spurs develop their players slowly, so he’s only started 54/150 games. The only one that really indicts him is WS/48, since it’s not cumulative.

R. DeMurre
12-01-2022, 11:50 AM
The WS/48 list of that draft class features three (highly ranked) guys that I've been watching closely: Nick Richards of Charlotte, who's a FA after this season, Immanuel Quickley, who's supposedly available, and Paul Reed, who Doc Rivers doesn't seem to like very much. Richards could be prime back up center material if he continues to develop, Quickley is quintessential 6th/7th man material in the Derrick White mold, and Paul Reed is already a super versatile defender whose offense is still a work in progress.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2020.html

buttsR4rebounding
12-01-2022, 01:55 PM

And that Haliburton is a top 2 pick. I still can't believe we passed on that gift.

exstatic
12-01-2022, 04:48 PM
And that Haliburton is a top 2 pick. I still can't believe we passed on that gift.

His agent told everyone he wanted Sacto. The last thing you want from a late lottery pick is for him not to want to be there. Hilarious that they had him drop to them, and dumped him halfway through his second season.

scott
12-01-2022, 11:38 PM
You need a franchise guy, and then a core to build around. Think Tim, then Manu, Tony, Bruce. Core guys aren’t THE guy, they’re the OTHER guys. They’ll be the veteran, support presence, taking on much of the scoring load, kinda like Terry Cummings with David.

Don’t sleep on Sochan, though. If he is a PG, and I think he has a high probability, he should have been a top 3 pick. 6’9” guys with court vision who can handle and pass off the bounce don’t grow on trees. Throw in top flight defender, and…

I understand all that… what I’m saying is that I’m not seeing Manu or Tony in Devin or Sochan. We hung #12 up in the rafters, but Bruce doesn’t belong in the conversation as a core centerpiece guy.

I will also admit, that Devin getting bullied for the game winning bucket by rookie Jalen Williams has provided some negative recency bias. He isn’t the great defender we make him out to be. He’s proving a good scorer on a terrible team… that actually isn’t all that impressive tbh. The same way I’m not that impressed with Jalen Green.

Will he continue to improve? Probably. Is he worth considering a “core centerpiece” - no. As we should have all been reminded by now, there isn’t a single player on this team who should be considered untouchable. We are so far away from contention, that if Devin could get us a nice haul, you move him on out. His trade value hasn’t peaked yet though… so we can wait for that moment. Devin’s upside seems to be the third in a big-3… but we aren’t close to having a big 2 yet.

BacktoBasics
12-02-2022, 12:34 AM
I understand all that… what I’m saying is that I’m not seeing Manu or Tony in Devin or Sochan. We hung #12 up in the rafters, but Bruce doesn’t belong in the conversation as a core centerpiece guy.

I will also admit, that Devin getting bullied for the game winning bucket by rookie Jalen Williams has provided some negative recency bias. He isn’t the great defender we make him out to be. He’s proving a good scorer on a terrible team… that actually isn’t all that impressive tbh. The same way I’m not that impressed with Jalen Green.

Will he continue to improve? Probably. Is he worth considering a “core centerpiece” - no. As we should have all been reminded by now, there isn’t a single player on this team who should be considered untouchable. We are so far away from contention, that if Devin could get us a nice haul, you move him on out. His trade value hasn’t peaked yet though… so we can wait for that moment. Devin’s upside seems to be the third in a big-3… but we aren’t close to having a big 2 yet.
I don’t like this take. A good haul to me implies multiple(probably 2) late to high mid 1sts and cap filler or relief for another team that views Devin as a complimentary piece.

We’ve developed this guy into a solid starter. Yeah I get that averaging 22 on a shit team isn’t the same as averaging 18 on a contender but he’s young, excels in the system and would be exactly what you want in the modern nba alongside a legitimate all star. We’d be smart to hold our core, develop our two recent draft picks like we did Keldon and Vassell then draft out this offseason which looks like a top 8 pick.

If that looks promising I’d package up our remaining picks for a game changer or to move up in 24.

We’re ugly now but our squad has long term potential.

scott
12-02-2022, 09:51 AM
I don’t like this take. A good haul to me implies multiple(probably 2) late to high mid 1sts and cap filler or relief for another team that views Devin as a complimentary piece.

We’ve developed this guy into a solid starter. Yeah I get that averaging 22 on a shit team isn’t the same as averaging 18 on a contender but he’s young, excels in the system and would be exactly what you want in the modern nba alongside a legitimate all star. We’d be smart to hold our core, develop our two recent draft picks like we did Keldon and Vassell then draft out this offseason which looks like a top 8 pick.

If that looks promising I’d package up our remaining picks for a game changer or to move up in 24.

We’re ugly now but our squad has long term potential.

id agree the package you theorized wouldn’t be enough. But I do think we overrate Devin because he’s the best player on a shitty team. Simultaneously we have people who bag on SGA. It’s just typical Spurs fan fiesta-colored glasses

jjspur
12-02-2022, 11:12 AM
Even if we land Wemby, getting rid of our better players is not a good idea. Sure you can trade them for some picks or younger players, but essentially you'll be tanking all over again, that's going backwards not forwards. Best case scenario is we land a top four pick and move on from there. We have a few expiring contracts or nearly expiring contracts, make the decision whether keep any of them or replace them with an equal or better player. That's when you stop tanking and start truly rebuilding the team. Devin ,Keldon and Sohan should be part of the spurs future. That' plus our draft pick is four fifths of a decent starting lineup. Everyone else including the other rookies are a tossup. Keeping Poeltl who is probably as good as he's ever gong to be will be a real tough decision considering what we might get inn return. The front office has its work cut out for them.

KingKev
12-02-2022, 12:03 PM
^ tanking isn’t a one year thing for this squad. We need 2-3 years of top lottery picks to even be a playoff team in the next 5 years.

Excessive Egotist
12-02-2022, 01:22 PM
^ tanking isn’t a one year thing for this squad. We need 2-3 years of top lottery picks to even be a playoff team in the next 5 years.

Yes, this is correct.

Even if we won Wemby this year (12-14% chance), we will still lose next year. Moreover, our next big FA push might not come to summer '26 based on whose presently available. That is the summer you'd extend your top pick from this season and demonstrate a commitment to competing by signing an A-lister free agent. This is all assumes we've landed a MVP caliber guy in the lottery such who is capable of attracting a marquee free agent. The only guys on this roster who are likely to be here by '25 or 26 are Vassell, Sochan, and Wesley. Jones, perhaps. Nearly everyone or actually everyone else will have a new address by then.

By the end of next season, the list of roster holdovers for summer '26 has hopefully expanded to 6 or 7 names. If so, this will be a good signal the Spurs are building something that will compete over many years.

R. DeMurre
12-02-2022, 03:29 PM
Jordan won his first championship in his 7th season, Giannis in his 8th, and Lebron in his 9th, and with all of those guys, only Khris Middleton was around in the first year through the championship year alongside his superstar teammate... so even an extremely optimistic view of Wembanyama would likely mean a title in 2029 or 2030, with maybe one or two players currently on the roster. Other scenarios could certainly play out, but the odds are against them.

wildbill2u
12-02-2022, 04:13 PM
Jordan won his first championship in his 7th season, Giannis in his 8th, and Lebron in his 9th, and with all of those guys, only Khris Middleton was around in the first year through the championship year alongside his superstar teammate... so even an extremely optimistic view of Wembanyama would likely mean a title in 2029 or 2030, with maybe one or two players currently on the roster. Other scenarios could certainly play out, but the odds are against them.

Those are really interesting facts about those superstars abiity to take a team to a championship in a realistic number of years. I don't understand how these teams eventually wound up with some complementary all-star talent around those superstars.

TD 21
12-02-2022, 05:31 PM
Los Angeles Lakers Trade Ideas Based on Latest Rumors | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10057407-los-angeles-lakers-trade-ideas-based-on-latest-rumors)

Keep in mind it's from a Raptors fan boy/Spurs hater, but as underwhelming as it seems, value wise I wouldn't be surprised if this is about the best the Spurs could do.

The only guys on this roster who are likely to be here by '25 or 26 are Vassell, Sochan, and Wesley. Jones, perhaps. Nearly everyone or actually everyone else will have a new address by then.

At this writing, I'd say Vassell (malleability) is the only virtual lock to be a relatively long-term piece. Sochan and Jones stand good chances, the latter mainly because he's clearly being groomed to be the-all important "culture carrier".

Don’t sleep on Sochan, though. If he is a PG, and I think he has a high probability, he should have been a top 3 pick.

:lmao

His agent told everyone he wanted Sacto. The last thing you want from a late lottery pick is for him not to want to be there.

Just stop. It's okay to admit they blew it, end of story.

scott
12-02-2022, 06:32 PM
The idea that #12 overall picks can write their own ticket for a desired destination is pretty wild. If it’s going to be the case, then then parity has really lost the plot.

Excessive Egotist
12-02-2022, 06:54 PM
Regarding Bleacher Report speculation of Poeltl/Richardson to Lakers...it does seem a little light on assets coming back, even with an unprotected FRP in the deal.

The Spurs could, for example, trade Jak into the Clippers' TPE and take back an unprotected the same season. They'd still have Richardson to trade elsewhere, in that scenario, and SA would be probably land Brandon Boston in the deal as well. I'm not hot on that trade scenario, but it appears better than the BR Lakers scenario. If it's that easy to think of probable alternative deals...

In the same light, Spurs could probably get Wiseman, Moody, and '26 unprotected from GS for Poeltl and Richardson, which is better than the proposed Lakers offer. I'd 1000% prefer Kuminga to Wiseman, but GS could easily beat the Lakers offer, imo.

Future Lakers seconds are valuable picks, especially in the "double draft" year, which will either be '24 or '25. I would be quite happy to flip end of rotation vets for Lakers SRPs. I'd give up Collins or McDermott for the Lakers '23 SRP (or Chicago's '23 SRP, which Lakers control). McDermott for Beverly and Lakers '23 or 25 SRP works.

Lakers and Golden State are sensible trade partners. Memphis and New Orleans have picks to spend, if they want to shore up with a vet. But the two teams I'm curious about are Nets and Knicks. Each will see itself as a playoff team, but any number of implosions could put those teams in the lottery. I don't see any obvious trade scenarios, but Poeltl to Nets or taking back Simmons (maybe in a three team that sees Collins go to Nets, Simmons to SA, stuff to ATL) are maybes. Keldon to Knicks is the only maybe trade scenario I see with NY.

lmbebo
12-02-2022, 09:19 PM
Regarding Bleacher Report speculation of Poeltl/Richardson to Lakers...it does seem a little light on assets coming back, even with an unprotected FRP in the deal.

The Spurs could, for example, trade Jak into the Clippers' TPE and take back an unprotected the same season. They'd still have Richardson to trade elsewhere, in that scenario, and SA would be probably land Brandon Boston in the deal as well. I'm not hot on that trade scenario, but it appears better than the BR Lakers scenario. If it's that easy to think of probable alternative deals...

In the same light, Spurs could probably get Wiseman, Moody, and '26 unprotected from GS for Poeltl and Richardson, which is better than the proposed Lakers offer. I'd 1000% prefer Kuminga to Wiseman, but GS could easily beat the Lakers offer, imo.

Future Lakers seconds are valuable picks, especially in the "double draft" year, which will either be '24 or '25. I would be quite happy to flip end of rotation vets for Lakers SRPs. I'd give up Collins or McDermott for the Lakers '23 SRP (or Chicago's '23 SRP, which Lakers control). McDermott for Beverly and Lakers '23 or 25 SRP works.

Lakers and Golden State are sensible trade partners. Memphis and New Orleans have picks to spend, if they want to shore up with a vet. But the two teams I'm curious about are Nets and Knicks. Each will see itself as a playoff team, but any number of implosions could put those teams in the lottery. I don't see any obvious trade scenarios, but Poeltl to Nets or taking back Simmons (maybe in a three team that sees Collins go to Nets, Simmons to SA, stuff to ATL) are maybes. Keldon to Knicks is the only maybe trade scenario I see with NY.

Have a hard time believing that GS will send out an unprotected 1st, especially if they know that the window on Curry/Klay/Dray is over this year or the next...

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-03-2022, 02:46 AM
Have a hard time believing that GS will send out an unprotected 1st, especially if they know that the window on Curry/Klay/Dray is over this year or the next...

Nor could they send a FRP until 2028.

exstatic
12-03-2022, 07:13 AM
Nor could they send a FRP until 2028.

2026. Their only currently obligated FRP is 2024.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-03-2022, 07:34 AM
2026. Their only currently obligated FRP is 2024.

That pick has protections until 2026.

CGD
12-12-2022, 08:28 PM
Could spurs be 3rd team to help facilitate a LAL-NYK trade?

LAL—> Reddish; Richardson
NYK—> Beverly; Nunn
SAS—> Founier; NYK FRP; LAL FRP (protected)

Mr. Body
12-12-2022, 08:42 PM
His agent told everyone he wanted Sacto. The last thing you want from a late lottery pick is for him not to want to be there. Hilarious that they had him drop to them, and dumped him halfway through his second season.

He's playing fine in Indiana. More than fine. Letting a late lottery pick determine where he wants to play with threats is rather stupid.

mo7888
12-12-2022, 08:52 PM

NYK—> Beverly; Nunn

Are LA and NY rumored to be working a deal around Reddish, Nunn, and Bev?

TD 21
12-12-2022, 11:22 PM

NYK—> Beverly; Nunn

Not bad, but Knicks supposedly aren't interested in attaching draft equity to dump Fournier.

CGD
12-12-2022, 11:41 PM
Are LA and NY rumored to be working a deal around Reddish, Nunn, and Bev?

If you believe the aggregators, yes. And they also suggest a mystery third team would eat fournier’s contract. All rumors but alas that’s what we do here isn’t it?

Thomas82
12-13-2022, 12:03 AM
If you believe the aggregators, yes. And they also suggest a mystery third team would eat fournier’s contract. All rumors but alas that’s what we do here isn’t it?

And apparently the Knicks don't want to attach assets in order to move Fournier.

mo7888
12-13-2022, 07:03 AM

In that case your deal makes a lot of sense. From our point of view we'd definitely want to be in that mix

mo7888
12-13-2022, 07:04 AM
And apparently the Knicks don't want to attach assets in order to move Fournier.

I don't see anyway that they can move Fournier to anyone without attaching assets unless they're taking back a worse or larger and bad contract.

Thomas82
12-13-2022, 04:40 PM
I don't see anyway that they can move Fournier to anyone without attaching assets unless they're taking back a worse or larger and bad contract.

Yeah, it's unreasonable for them to expect that from a trade partner.

Mr. Body
12-13-2022, 05:09 PM
Rumors of Fournier for Beverly/Nunn are really heating up... or not.

CGD
12-13-2022, 09:56 PM

Exactly. Laughable that they think they’ll get the Nunn/Beverly expiring salaries for free. Fournier is still owed 18M next year.

ace3g
12-14-2022, 10:05 PM
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1603169666033414145

TDMVPDPOY
12-17-2022, 04:18 AM
why is the gsw interested in poodle...did they give up on wiseman?...wonder what his contract like... hence they got a few young pieces spurs could be interested in thats already producing whether in gsw system or waiting to break out; but wont break out on spurs system

CGD
12-17-2022, 07:54 AM
why is the gsw interested in poodle...did they give up on wiseman?...wonder what his contract like... hence they got a few young pieces spurs could be interested in thats already producing whether in gsw system or waiting to break out; but wont break out on spurs system

Im not immediately clear either as I thought they loved Looney, and have Green to slot into their small ball 5 line up. But if they think they’ll have to battle Davis, Ayton, NOLA frontline, and Joker in the play offs the size should help.

I think Wiseman-Jakob deal is on the table if GWG gives 1 fully unprotected pick that should should convey once they move on from their big three. Spurs playing hardball now.

CGD
12-17-2022, 07:55 AM
The aggregators keep chirping about Toronto and Jakob. I just don’t like any of their pieces.

BacktoBasics
12-17-2022, 02:18 PM
The aggregators keep chirping about Toronto and Jakob. I just don’t like any of their pieces.

Weren’t we hot on OG Anunoby all the way back when the Kawhi shit was going down.

I don’t know enough about him but I think with Keldons emergence he might be redundant.

ambchang
12-17-2022, 03:11 PM
Weren’t we hot on OG Anunoby all the way back when the Kawhi shit was going down.

I don’t know enough about him but I think with Keldons emergence he might be redundant.

Anunoby is a really good player, especially on defence. However, he's always hurt.

TDMVPDPOY
12-17-2022, 04:11 PM

all their peices suck monkey dick...og is overrated, barnes is like give him the ball dont inspect it back, siakram hasnt done shit or taken the next step...the rest of their players are just overrated crap

LeBowen
12-17-2022, 04:40 PM
all their peices suck monkey dick...og is overrated, barnes is like give him the ball dont inspect it back, siakram hasnt done shit or taken the next step...the rest of their players are just overrated crap

One of the worst posts I've seen in a while, tbh.

Siakam has improved every year, he's averaging 7 assists this season, not his fault their roster is badly contstructed and FVV sucks.

exstatic
12-17-2022, 05:17 PM
One of the worst posts I've seen in a while, tbh.

Siakam has improved every year, he's averaging 7 assists this season, not his fault their roster is badly contstructed and FVV sucks.

the problem with Siakam is that he’s older than Jakob. He’ll be 29 before the end of the season, and really doesn’t fit the timeline.

Barnes. Their timeline is like 26+. He really doesn’t fit, and isn’t likely a franchise guy to build around.

Ignazzz
12-18-2022, 01:47 AM
Funny ideas.
I am not saying that Barnes is new Duncan for his team but how many ROTY was traded during 2nd season?
Spurs dont have assets for „near to impossible” Trade with Toronto. Draft capital - great asset for older Star. Not for rising Star. This case - no sense for raptors. Wtf? Lets switch Barnes into picks? Maybe we get lucky to find player Like Barnes in the future?
OG is having great value for raptors all time. Idk if spurs ( except pick 2023) have assets for him too.

KingKev
12-18-2022, 08:32 AM
The evaluation of the Raptors talent is laughable. There probably isn’t a trade to be done here but some of these takes are just horrid.

OG, Siakim, Barnes, FVV are >>>>>>> Vassell, Keldon, Jak

LeBowen
12-18-2022, 08:41 AM
The evaluation of the Raptors talent is laughable. There probably isn’t a trade to be done here but some of these takes are just horrid.

OG, Siakim, Barnes, FVV are >>>>>>> Vassell, Keldon, Jak

Siakam is a legit all-star. Not a superstar, but he's shown he can be the second option on a championship team and is also a great defender.
OG is an elite role player.
Still too early to say for Barnes, but I think he'll definitely be better than OG.
FVV is trash. Was always an inefficent chucker.

I think Devin can potentially be a low-end all-star player, Keldon should be an elite role-player.
Jakob would also be there if not for his disgustingly bad FT shooting.

Since they've got too many wings who aren't great shooters, we could definitely get OG for Jakob, but we don't need him. And as already said, he seems to be injured pretty often.
Maybe some kind of three team trade would be possible.

exstatic
12-18-2022, 03:25 PM
Funny ideas.
I am not saying that Barnes is new Duncan for his team but how many ROTY was traded during 2nd season?
Spurs dont have assets for „near to impossible” Trade with Toronto. Draft capital - great asset for older Star. Not for rising Star. This case - no sense for raptors. Wtf? Lets switch Barnes into picks? Maybe we get lucky to find player Like Barnes in the future?
OG is having great value for raptors all time. Idk if spurs ( except pick 2023) have assets for him too.

Michael Carter-Williams was traded in his second season.

CGD
12-18-2022, 09:36 PM

I have not been watching, did Barnes crater in year 2 or something?

cd98
12-18-2022, 10:47 PM
Raptors have talent, but the Spurs should not be interested in any of it since none are on our timeframe for building a contender. We don't need 28 year olds, we need 19year olds to 21 year olds. Now, draft picks, maybe.

mo7888
12-19-2022, 06:54 AM
Lakes 'may' have just become a better trade prospect. They've got to decide if they cash it in to hold things together until AD is back or punt on the season. If they cash it in we can put together a nice package anchored by Jak.

exstatic
12-19-2022, 07:18 AM
I have not been watching, did Barnes crater in year 2 or something?

I know their fans are really disappointed. It’s pretty much the whole team, though.

Ignazzz
12-19-2022, 09:16 AM
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/sixers/sixers-nba-draft-michael-carter-williams-trade-zhaire-smith-mikal-bridges-20180623.html?outputType=amp

very strange Trade. Was it SC reduction?

exstatic
12-19-2022, 11:18 AM
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/sixers/sixers-nba-draft-michael-carter-williams-trade-zhaire-smith-mikal-bridges-20180623.html?outputType=amp

very strange Trade. Was it SC reduction?

He couldn’t shoot. It wasn’t just the 3 ball. His overal FG% was around 40. He’s no longer in the league, at 31.

Ignazzz
12-19-2022, 01:05 PM
Yes. I did remember his %. He was one if the weakest ROTY all time. Even that … trading ROTY without massive great price ( pick 2x protected ) seems bad. I can understand trying to make a price higher for Trade. One pick wasnt any good return. Remember ROTY very solid with some promise to fix shot ( he was badly all career but who knew it in season 2?)

Leetonidas
12-19-2022, 05:31 PM
I wonder if the Lakers will get desperate now with AD being out for a month or more, as he was the main reason they were inching closer to .500 to begin with. Their season might be over because i guarantee they're going on a losing streak :lol

The narrative that Westbrook has been good off the bench has been squashed now that we've had a larger sample size, and he's clearly hurting them immensely. Wonder if Jak/Richardson/McNugget are looking more favorable to them now

Mr. Body
12-19-2022, 08:39 PM
Nah, moving Westbrook to the bench was the right move and he's been fairly effective. He's not the problem.

lefty20
12-19-2022, 08:55 PM
Nah, moving Westbrook to the bench was the right move and he's been fairly effective. He's not the problem.

He was... for the first few games.

Per a realgm post.

He's got that narrative based off his superb (to his standards) initial 6 game stretch off the bench (2-4 record):

19.3pts, 6ast, 5.3reb, 1stl, 0.7blk on 62.8%TS (51/48/79) in 29.2mpg

Since then:
He's been averaging 13.6pts, 8.4ast, 6.4reb, 0.9stl on 44.9%TS (38/23/62) in 27.7mpg

Mr. Body
12-19-2022, 09:05 PM
Yeah, not really seeing a huge problem there. He's not the problem on the roster.

lefty20
12-19-2022, 09:12 PM
Yeah, not really seeing a huge problem there. He's not the problem on the roster.

Sure, he's not the only problem on that roster.

But I'm not sure how u can look at a player with his stats at a 28% usg rate and say he's been effective.

That post forgot to mention a career high turnover rate at 19.3%.

Leetonidas
12-19-2022, 09:19 PM
He's shooting 10% lower than league average TS% while making the same low IQ decisions he always along with being a turnstile on defense while playing 27mpg off the bench. He's a huge part of the problem:lol

Mr. Body
12-19-2022, 09:39 PM
Fine. Don't really give a fuck.

scott
12-20-2022, 01:18 PM
Suns getting sold... my guess is their new owner is going to be less concerned about the tax and the Suns aren't going to be a salary dump trade partner.

BackHome
12-20-2022, 06:06 PM
Suns getting sold... my guess is their new owner is going to be less concerned about the tax and the Suns aren't going to be a salary dump trade partner.

It sucks for the Suns because I thought if they could make some trades they had a legit chance this year - With Paul getting a year older I see that window closing real fast

CGD
12-20-2022, 06:10 PM
^ I disagree. I think the Suns are positioned well for a long time with all their pieces. Could you imagine if they picked Halliburton, hot damn!

CGD
12-20-2022, 06:54 PM
Thinking about a hypothetical Jakob-wiseman swap and looking at GWG assets. If I’m reading this right, they can’t really trade for anything sooner than the GSW 26 FRP. Is that right?

Warriors owe their “2024 first round draft pick to Memphis protected for selections 1-4 in 2024 and 1 in 2025 and unprotected in 2026.’

mo7888
12-20-2022, 07:07 PM
Thinking about a hypothetical Jakob-wiseman swap and looking at GWG assets. If I’m reading this right, they can’t really trade for anything sooner than the GSW 26 FRP. Is that right?

Warriors owe their “2024 first round draft pick to Memphis protected for selections 1-4 in 2024 and 1 in 2025 and unprotected in 2026.’

If those are the protections then it looks like 2028 would be their 1st tradable pick.

mo7888
12-20-2022, 07:56 PM
Been thinking about trades this afternoon (admittedly there's not much there so I'm stretching a bit with this one) and I've been looking at the Pelicans. They're in a position where they feel like they have a shot in the west and have shown some interest in Jak in the past. From our perspective of wanting two 1st's or equivalent for Jak the only things that they have that look interesting and aren't contributing for them in a 'title or bust' way are the LA swap they hold and Dyson. So I'm asking myself how much it'd take to add to Jak and how much I'd be willing to give up to get that package. I'd propose something like this:

Spurs- Dyson, their 1st with the LA swap rights, Hayes (salary ballast)
Pels- Jak, 2023 Charlotte 1st, our 2023 2nd

What would you give up for that Pelican package? What do you think it would take to get that package?

exstatic
12-20-2022, 09:01 PM

2028, then, since the possibility exists for their 2026 pick to go out.

Mr. Body
12-20-2022, 10:00 PM
Been thinking about trades this afternoon (admittedly there's not much there so I'm stretching a bit with this one) and I've been looking at the Pelicans. They're in a position where they feel like they have a shot in the west and have shown some interest in Jak in the past. From our perspective of wanting two 1st's or equivalent for Jak the only things that they have that look interesting and aren't contributing for them in a 'title or bust' way are the LA swap they hold and Dyson. So I'm asking myself how much it'd take to add to Jak and how much I'd be willing to give up to get that package. I'd propose something like this:

What would you give up for that Pelican package? What do you think it would take to get that package?

Why do people keep bringing up New Orleans? They already have a starting center. I don't understand why this continues to be a thing.

exstatic
12-20-2022, 10:28 PM
Why do people keep bringing up New Orleans? They already have a starting center. I don't understand why this continues to be a thing.

Chunis is pretty much their weak link defensively. He can shoot the 3, but utterly fails on switches on the perimeter, so he’s not really a modern center. Their counting stats are pretty similar, Jonas with with 13.7/9.3 PER 19.6 and Jak with 12.9/9.9 PER 21.2, but Jak is head and shoulders above him as a defender.

CGD
12-20-2022, 11:26 PM
If those are the protections then it looks like 2028 would be their 1st tradable pick.

Wow, that’s wild. If true protections on these picks is really going to complicate deals. It seems like protections like these have proliferated in recent years.

Think about that CHA pick we own. That basically means CHA can’t trade a pick until 2028 (unless they trade to another team the rights to the unprotected part of the pick the spurs own now).

Mr. Body
12-21-2022, 12:03 AM
Chunis is pretty much their weak link defensively. He can shoot the 3, but utterly fails on switches on the perimeter, so he’s not really a modern center. Their counting stats are pretty similar, Jonas with with 13.7/9.3 PER 19.6 and Jak with 12.9/9.9 PER 21.2, but Jak is head and shoulders above him as a defender.

Seems a lateral move at very best. I don't see giving up assets for a lateral move.

baseline bum
12-21-2022, 12:22 AM

In what universe are the Pelicans trading their pick and swap with the Lakers with Wembanyama and Henderson available and the Lakers are a lotto team with Davis out for a month? Can they even trade that swap?

mo7888
12-21-2022, 06:28 AM
Seems a lateral move at very best. I don't see giving up assets for a lateral move.

It's not a lateral move.. it wouldn't be a lateral move if they gave up Jonas but in this scenario they get to keep him and shore up deficiencies...

mo7888
12-21-2022, 06:31 AM
In what universe are the Pelicans trading their pick and swap with the Lakers with Wembanyama and Henderson available and the Lakers are a lotto team with Davis out for a month? Can they even trade that swap?

Yes, they can trade that Laker swap....and you're asking the same question I'm asking.... what is the price to get them to do so? While everyone would love to have that 14% shot at Wembanyama not every team has to weigh that against the prospects of winning a championship this year... Nola is in that unique position and a title is a huge consideration...

exstatic
12-21-2022, 08:38 AM
Wow, that’s wild. If true protections on these picks is really going to complicate deals. It seems like protections like these have proliferated in recent years.

Think about that CHA pick we own. That basically means CHA can’t trade a pick until 2028 (unless they trade to another team the rights to the unprotected part of the pick the spurs own now).

CHA can currently trade their 2027 pick, since their protections on the pick we own end in 2025. 1-16,1-14,1-14.

CHI PICK is more complicated. It’s a 3 year protection cycle, but we don’t currently know when it starts. They owe a pick to Orlando, and after last year when they played so well,the assumption was that the 1-4 protected pick would convey in 2023. They’re struggling though, and there’s a real chance that CHI might jump into the top 4, and keep the pick. If they do, their 2024 pick may go to Orlando, and our cycle changes from 2025-2027 to 2026-2028. It’s even a bit more complicated than that, though. The 2024 pick is 1-3 protected, and there is some buzz that CHI may just blow it up. If they do, and jump or stay in the top 3, they will convey 2 seconds to Orlando, BUT, they would not have traded a FRP, so we would go back in the 2025-2027 cycle.

Mr. Body
12-21-2022, 10:26 AM
It's not a lateral move.. it wouldn't be a lateral move if they gave up Jonas but in this scenario they get to keep him and shore up deficiencies...

That seems... dumb? Sorry to say, but wasting resources for a starting center when you have a starting center is not something that teams do.

baseline bum
12-21-2022, 10:41 AM
Yes, they can trade that Laker swap....and you're asking the same question I'm asking.... what is the price to get them to do so? While everyone would love to have that 14% shot at Wembanyama not every team has to weigh that against the prospects of winning a championship this year... Nola is in that unique position and a title is a huge consideration...

The Pelicans aren't a Poeltl away from winning a title this year and they're very likely to be getting a lottery pick out of the Lakers, one that could have a great chance to be in the top half of the lottery given the way the Lakers are going to start tanking without Davis. They're not trading that for anything short of a star.

exstatic
12-21-2022, 11:19 AM
Keep in mind, it’s a SWAP option, not an extra pick. Right now, we’re 4th and the Lakers are 10th, making it useless.

CGD
12-21-2022, 11:23 AM
CHA can currently trade their 2027 pick, since their protections on the pick we own end in 2025. 1-16,1-14,1-14.

CHI PICK is more complicated. It’s a 3 year protection cycle, but we don’t currently know when it starts. They owe a pick to Orlando, and after last year when they played so well,the assumption was that the 1-4 protected pick would convey in 2023. They’re struggling though, and there’s a real chance that CHI might jump into the top 4, and keep the pick. If they do, their 2024 pick may go to Orlando, and our cycle changes from 2025-2027 to 2026-2028. It’s even a bit more complicated than that, though. The 2024 pick is 1-3 protected, and there is some buzz that CHI may just blow it up. If they do, and jump or stay in the top 3, they will convey 2 seconds to Orlando, BUT, they would not have traded a FRP, so we would go back in the 2025-2027 cycle.

Interesting. Now that we have the ATL 2025, it may be a blessing in disguise to have the CHI pack roll over to 2026. Would give the team a legit good extra pick for 3 years, potentially 4 if CHA gets its act together next year.

Mr. Body
12-21-2022, 11:29 AM
Interesting. Now that we have the ATL 2025, it may be a blessing in disguise to have the CHI pack roll over to 2026. Would give the team a legit good extra pick for 3 years, potentially 4 if CHA gets its act together next year.

Definitely need CHA to get its act together. I would venture that having the Charlotte pick this year, or any other second pick, might not actually be that great. There are three rookies on the team this year, plus Bassey, if he sticks around. I'm not entirely sure throwing another two rookies into the mix would be a great idea.

exstatic
12-21-2022, 11:34 AM

I think Charlottes pick will convey in either 2024 or 2025. Ball will not stay if they go into an extended rebuild. Coach Clifford also has a 50% playoff rate over 8 seasons with two of the saddest franchises around: Orlando and his previous stint in Charlotte. I would hope it would be 2024, or 2025 could hypothetically be a train wreck with 4 FRPS: ours, CHA,CHI,ATL.

baseline bum
12-21-2022, 11:45 AM
Keep in mind, it’s a SWAP option, not an extra pick. Right now, we’re 4th and the Lakers are 10th, making it useless.

If they made this trade I would imagine it would be taking NO's pick and the right to swap it with the Lakers pick. Not that it matters, as NOP isn't giving away a lottery pick for Poeltl.

mo7888
12-21-2022, 01:06 PM
That seems... dumb? Sorry to say, but wasting resources for a starting center when you have a starting center is not something that teams do.

If you have a starting center that you don't believe can get you to the finals and giving up resources to get one that you believe can get you there is dumb? Idk....championships are pretty valuable and increasing your shot has costs...

buttsR4rebounding
12-21-2022, 01:27 PM

The Lakers traded the rights for New Orleans to swap their pick with the Lakers pick. Can NO trade the right to swap with someone else? I don't think so. Otherwise you would see teams that have a better position than the team they can swap with trading that swap right to teams below the team that traded the swap right with all the time and I don't ever remember seeing a trade like that. I think you have to have the Pelican's pick to be able to accrue that ability to swap.

mo7888
12-21-2022, 01:36 PM
The Lakers traded the rights for New Orleans to swap their pick with the Lakers pick. Can NO trade the right to swap with someone else? I don't think so. Otherwise you would see teams that have a better position than the team they can swap with trading that swap right to teams below the team that traded the swap right with all the time and I don't ever remember seeing a trade like that. I think you have to have the Pelican's pick to be able to accrue that ability to swap.

No...they'd have to trade their pick and the swap rights would be attached.

buttsR4rebounding
12-21-2022, 01:42 PM
No...they'd have to trade their pick and the swap rights would be attached.

So you are agreeing with me. You can't just trade the right to swap as Ex was indicating. You have to get the Pelican's pick.

mo7888
12-21-2022, 01:57 PM
So you are agreeing with me. You can't just trade the right to swap as Ex was indicating. You have to get the Pelican's pick.

Thats correct

scott
12-21-2022, 04:55 PM
Man, the Pels are so well positioned with both their current teams and their draft picks.

From ESPN:

Draft capital: New Orleans owns all of its first-round picks over the next seven years. The Pelicans have the right to swap firsts with the Lakers in 2023. They also have an unprotected first from Los Angeles in 2024. That pick can be deferred to 2025. The Pelicans also have a top-4-protected first from Milwaukee in 2025 and unprotected first in 2027. They have the right to swap firsts with the Bucks in 2024 and 2026. New Orleans has six second-round picks available to trade.

If we land a true game changer (whether that person is named Wemby or something else), the kind of game changer who alters the course of your franchise almost immediately (think Ja), then we could be in a similar position with all these picks. The same could be said of OKC, Houston or Utah. I wouldn't trust OKC or Houston to know what to do with such fortune if they found it though. They'd probably continue to tank for the sake of it.

Thomas82
12-21-2022, 05:18 PM

The only thing I'm concerned about with NO is if they would be willing to trade with a division rival.

scott
12-21-2022, 05:21 PM
I don't see why NO would be interested in any kind of trade that we are interested in. They are not in "win-now because the window is closing" mode. They have a very good, young team and lots of draft picks. There is no way they'd trade this year's pick because it is tied to a swap that could land them a high lotto pick.

Maybe we could get a protected FRP in future years for JRich or Buckets, but I don't think they'd be interested. I don't think the are meeting our asking price for Jak.

mo7888
12-21-2022, 07:08 PM
I don't see why NO would be interested in any kind of trade that we are interested in. They are not in "win-now because the window is closing" mode. They have a very good, young team and lots of draft picks. There is no way they'd trade this year's pick because it is tied to a swap that could land them a high lotto pick.

Maybe we could get a protected FRP in future years for JRich or Buckets, but I don't think they'd be interested. I don't think the are meeting our asking price for Jak.

My view is that everything has a price...of all the teams that 'could" have a lottery pick they are the most likely to deal. They clearly aren't going to give it away, which was why my question was 'how much would we have to add to Jak to get that done to be attractive to them?' And 'how much would we be willing to give for it to still be attractive to us'?

Leetonidas
12-21-2022, 07:47 PM
Man, the Pels are so well positioned with both their current teams and their draft picks.

From ESPN:

Draft capital: New Orleans owns all of its first-round picks over the next seven years. The Pelicans have the right to swap firsts with the Lakers in 2023. They also have an unprotected first from Los Angeles in 2024. That pick can be deferred to 2025. The Pelicans also have a top-4-protected first from Milwaukee in 2025 and unprotected first in 2027. They have the right to swap firsts with the Bucks in 2024 and 2026. New Orleans has six second-round picks available to trade.

If we land a true game changer (whether that person is named Wemby or something else), the kind of game changer who alters the course of your franchise almost immediately (think Ja), then we could be in a similar position with all these picks. The same could be said of OKC, Houston or Utah. I wouldn't trust OKC or Houston to know what to do with such fortune if they found it though. They'd probably continue to tank for the sake of it.

They can nab them a really nice roster piece with just a couple of those picks too. They legit have a chance to be champs if they go all in imo

Mr. Body
12-21-2022, 10:02 PM

From ESPN:

They were a disaster not long ago, then nailed a draft and rooked LAL pretty bad and Zion nearly out the door. Too bad Kawhi fucked us -- we really should have gotten a better package.

Mr. Body
12-21-2022, 10:13 PM
The baby Warriors -- without Curry and Thompson -- gave up 91 points to the Nets... in the first half.

Wiseman and Moody ended up with good statlines, but that's hiding a lot.

Joseph Kony
12-21-2022, 10:21 PM
Donkey -27 with 2/4/6 in 23 minutes :lmao

Mr. Body
12-21-2022, 10:27 PM
At this point I'd definitely take Sochan/Wesley/Branham over Wiseman/Kuminga/Moody.

exstatic
12-21-2022, 10:29 PM

Triple single!

R. DeMurre
12-22-2022, 01:19 AM
I don't think there's any way the Pelicans would include Dyson Daniels in a trade, especially not for Poeltl. Daniels was drafted as a 6'8" PG who could defend and pass, but whose shooting was a question... so far this season, he's shooting 42% from three and 55% from two, while playing even better-than-advertised D and posting a very good assist-to-turnover ratio. The guy is still only 19 and looks like a future star.

Ocotillo
12-22-2022, 08:07 AM

From ESPN:

I recall being pissed at AD for the way he forced his way out of the small market team for the bright lights of LA. Looks like being rid of the glass man was the best thing that could have happened to the Pels.

daslicer
12-22-2022, 09:14 AM

Media "Those 2 points is the equivalent of a regular player getting 20 points. Draymond's impact can't easily be measured."

LeBowen
12-22-2022, 09:32 AM
Media "Those 2 points is the equivalent of a regular player getting 20 points. Draymond's impact can't easily be measured."

By far the most overrated player in NBA history, it's just unbelievable how lucky he was, all the stars alligned for him.
Always brought up as some 1 through 5 defender, when in reality he never did a good job on any all-star level bigs. Or any stars in general, he's jut a great help defender and defensive coordinator.
AD and LMA were the only good bigs he had to face in the playoffs and he always got torched. Way worse players like Kanter would've destroyed him, but they couldn't stay on the floor against the Warriors' offense.
Warriors' ability to run slow bigs off the floor enabled their small lineups, not Draymond's defense.

Anyhow, the things are heating up and there are a lot of teams who are on the brink of making some desperate moves.
Warriors, Lakers, Timberwolves, Mavericks, Bulls, Raptors, Hawks, Heat all must do something. And obviously everyone else is also looking to improve. Not all of them are potential trade partners for the Spurs, but when the dominos start falling Brian Wright better be ready to swing a couple of good deals.

Either extend Jakob or trade him, no point in waiting for him to hit FA.
JRich and McDermott also need to go asap.
Not just because they're on expiring deals, but because Rockets, Pistons and Hornets are absolute dumpster fires and it's going to be next to impossible to get top3 odds. We have to finish 4th, worst case scenario.

exstatic
12-22-2022, 09:44 AM
By far the most overrated player in NBA history, it's just unbelievable how lucky he was, all the stars alligned for him.
Always brought up as some 1 through 5 defender, when in reality he never did a good job on any all-star level bigs. Or any stars in general, he's jut a great help defender and defensive coordinator.
AD and LMA were the only good bigs he had to face in the playoffs and he always got torched. Way worse players like Kanter would've destroyed him, but they couldn't stay on the floor against the Warriors' offense.
Warriors' ability to run slow bigs off the floor enabled their small lineups, not Draymond's defense.

Anyhow, the things are heating up and there are a lot of teams who are on the brink of making some desperate moves.
Warriors, Lakers, Timberwolves, Mavericks, Bulls, Raptors, Hawks, Heat all must do something. And obviously everyone else is also looking to improve. Not all of them are potential trade partners for the Spurs, but when the dominos start falling Brian Wright better be ready to swing a couple of good deals.

Not just because they're on expiring deals, but because Rockets, Pistons and Hornets are absolute dumpster fires and it's going to be next to impossible to get top3 odds. We have to finish 4th, worst case scenario.

Like DJ, his extension was such a great deal for the Spurs that he doesn’t want to sign another one. An extension is about the only outcome I absolutely can’t see happening.

Mr. Body
12-22-2022, 11:11 AM

I feel like we consistently overrate the odds for the top three lottery teams. Each of those teams only has a 52% chance of even being in the Top 4. People really need to familiarize themselves with what the lottery actually looks like.

LeBowen
12-22-2022, 12:03 PM
I feel like we consistently overrate the odds for the top three lottery teams. Each of those teams only has a 52% chance of even being in the Top 4. People really need to familiarize themselves with what the lottery actually looks like.

https://i.imgur.com/S13kbBE.png

Yeah, it's "only" 52% for top3 worst records.
But it's not about hitting the jackpot, it's about minimizing your odds of dropping multiple spots. Anything outside top5 picks would be a disaster for this roster.
And if we drop to 6th best odds, it would be only 37.2% for top5 pick. With 4th best odds, it's 55.2%.
Someone with low odds always gets lucky and then that 18% difference becomes even more important in order not to get dropped to like 7th pick.

Mr. Body
12-22-2022, 12:20 PM

But it's not about hitting the jackpot, it's about minimizing your odds of dropping multiple spots. Anything outside top5 picks would be a disaster for this roster.
And if we drop to 6th best odds, it would be only 37.2% for top5 pick. With 4th best odds, it's 55.2%.
Someone with low odds always gets lucky and then that 18% difference becomes even more important in order not to get dropped to like 7th pick.

Yes, but the point is clear. Too many people assume getting a top 3 worst percentage means much of anything. And it seems like carefully moving the goalposts to claim it's about not moving down too many slots. The chances of landing a 1, 2, or 3 pick for any individual team is still abyssmal at 14% per slot.

TD 21
12-22-2022, 12:25 PM
For a Poeltl to Raptors trade to happen, my sense is they have to lessen the protection on their pick and find a third team interested in Trent Jr. to give the Spurs close to the draft capital they're seeking. For this, they'd probably throw in Richardson.

I don't think there's any way the Pelicans would include Dyson Daniels in a trade, especially not for Poeltl. Daniels was drafted as a 6'8" PG who could defend and pass, but whose shooting was a question... so far this season, he's shooting 42% from three and 55% from two, while playing even better-than-advertised D and posting a very good assist-to-turnover ratio. The guy is still only 19 and looks like a future star.

Yeah, not a chance.

Despite their league worst rim protection (74% within' 3 feet of the rim), I doubt the Pelicans pursue Poeltl who'd further mess up their spacing, but in the unlikely event they do, Daniels and the most valuable picks will be off limits and they'd offer some combination of lesser ones, Hayes and Lewis, while attempting to shoehorn Graham in.

LeBowen
12-22-2022, 12:39 PM
Yes, but the point is clear. Too many people assume getting a top 3 worst percentage means much of anything. And it seems like carefully moving the goalposts to claim it's about not moving down too many slots. The chances of landing a 1, 2, or 3 pick for any individual team is still abyssmal at 14% per slot.

I've said it a few times, we're not getting the #1 pick, so I definitely didn't move the goalposts, idk maybe some other posters did.
Since there's no chance of getting to the playoffs or even play-in, might aswell maximize your odds of getting the best pick possible.
And having 4th best odds is noticably better than 6th best odds.

daslicer
12-22-2022, 01:30 PM

Agreed and at best and I'm being generous Draymond was an elite role player, but he was never an all-star. I never had much respect for the media but after they anointed him as a star, they lost any remaining credibility they had in my eyes. The media's logic was dumb which was "Well they are winning a lot of games with him on the floor, so he has to be a star." Spurs won a ton of games with Bruce Bowen, Horry but that didn't make them all-stars. It was stupid as hell how the media was complicit in making Draymond into a star when he wasn't. The coaches were even dumber for voting him in as an all-star when he clearly wasn't.

scott
12-22-2022, 03:39 PM

For conspiracy theorists, the Spurs hitting that 2.2% change of picking 8th fits squarely within the narrative that the NBA doesn't want a team in San Antonio anymore. I'm probably one of the more pessimistic of posters here on this topic, but I don't believe the Spurs survive in San Antonio without becoming a contender again within the next 5 years. Getting stuck in the mid-lottery is the surest fire way that doesn't happen.

CGD
12-23-2022, 07:15 AM
Small trades I want to see invoking teams over the luxury tax:

PHI: dumps Mattise to get under tax
SAS: get CHA’s 23 SRP they own

PHX: dumps Saric/Shatmat money
SAS: Suns 2023 FRP; send out Romeo

exstatic
12-23-2022, 11:07 AM

Phoenix won’t want any money back. They also may not be salary dumping with Sarver gone.

K...
12-23-2022, 03:05 PM

Mr glass again.

buttsR4rebounding
12-23-2022, 03:13 PM
I see where the Pacers and Turner have started talks on an extension. If that is consummated Poeltl’s value goes up.

spurraider21
12-23-2022, 03:24 PM
Pels look like they'll be a juggernaut or at least a perennial contender for some time. but a good chunk of that will come down to Ingram and Zion staying healthy

Ocotillo
12-23-2022, 05:53 PM

Mr glass again.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/Heart_of_Glass_by_Blondie_US_vinyl_single.png

scott
12-23-2022, 06:03 PM
Tangentially related to the Spurs:

Hornets and Miles Bridges are engaged in contract talks. Having him back would be helpful for that FRP conveying in future years (surely this year is a lost cause).

Also though... crazy this guy is going to still get a bag after beating his GF (and pled no contest to felony assault). Suspension coming as soon as he signs a deal.

jjspur
12-24-2022, 02:13 PM

I like the philly deal, but who do the spurs dump to bring Thybulle in ?

CGD
12-24-2022, 10:44 PM

I was thinking PHI would dump him to get under the tax. They didn’t extend him and until recently he hadn’t been playing. I also couldn’t care less about him as an asset, so if they prefer to dump other players instead so be it. The “prize” is the CHA SRP pick coming back to us.

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2022, 11:43 PM
collins
ayton
wiseman

but i think bass is good enough, dont need to trade for a new centre or overpay for one when the league has moved away from big man players....

Mr. Body
12-25-2022, 01:05 AM
collins
ayton
wiseman

but i think bass is good enough, dont need to trade for a new centre or overpay for one when the league has moved away from big man players....

Are you just repeating players people were obsessed with over the last three years?

exstatic
12-25-2022, 10:37 AM
I was thinking PHI would dump him to get under the tax. They didn’t extend him and until recently he hadn’t been playing. I also couldn’t care less about him as an asset, so if they prefer to dump other players instead so be it. The “prize” is the CHA SRP pick coming back to us.

Well, he is a 2X All Defense team selection. He’s also never had a negative OWS or DWS Season. He’s not a great asset, but he’s a better one than Lonnie Walker was.

lmbebo
12-25-2022, 11:47 AM
Tangentially related to the Spurs:

Hornets and Miles Bridges are engaged in contract talks. Having him back would be helpful for that FRP conveying in future years (surely this year is a lost cause).

Also though... crazy this guy is going to still get a bag after beating his GF (and pled no contest to felony assault). Suspension coming as soon as he signs a deal.

still has a suspension to serve from the nba for pleading guilty.

exstatic
12-25-2022, 01:38 PM

I would waive either Romeo or Stanley Johnson to make a spot.

jjspur
12-25-2022, 07:06 PM
I would waive either Romeo or Stanley Johnson to make a spot.
Romeo and Stanley both average about 6 points per game and about the same in rebounds, the only difference being that Romeo plays more minutes. However Romeo is very very inconsistent. Even though Stanley is the 15th guy I'd keep him and try to trade Romeo if possible.

exstatic
12-25-2022, 07:22 PM
Romeo and Stanley both average about 6 points per game and about the same in rebounds, the only difference being that Romeo plays more minutes. However Romeo is very very inconsistent. Even though Stanley is the 15th guy I'd keep him and try to trade Romeo if possible.

Stanley hasn’t been here long enough to show his inconsistency. There’s a reason he was in the gleague. Every borderline roster player has bursts of productivity. Romeo did. Stanley has had a nice 3 games. I’m guessing he’ll revert to the mean give enough time. They’re both completely cuttable. It’s just a coin flip.

tonight...you
12-26-2022, 12:54 AM
Stanley hasn’t been here long enough to show his inconsistency. There’s a reason he was in the gleague. Every borderline roster player has bursts of productivity. Romeo did. Stanley has had a nice 3 games. I’m guessing he’ll revert to the mean give enough time. They’re both completely cuttable. It’s just a coin flip.
Quite true.
And so things being equal in this case, I'm willing to cut Romeo before Stanley at this point, even though I hate the name Stanley.

talkspurs
12-26-2022, 06:42 PM

depends they could trade us the better of the NO or LAL pick. They would not be able to let us trade our spot with the lakers since they did not agree to that. It does not matter much this year since we wont be good but if we would have the 29 spot and NO would have the 15 and lakers at 1 we would not be able to trade our pick to LA and we have the 1st and LA have the 29th. the swap is only able to be swapped with NOL draft spot.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-27-2022, 03:06 PM
Apparently Suns, Hawks and Jazz had a trade in the works, which has failed due to Jazz wanting too much :

To Jazz - John Collins + picks
To Hawks - Jae Crowder + someone else from Suns
To Suns - Jarred Vanderbilt, Malik Beasley

Tbh I wouldn't want the Spurs being part of this in the place of Jazz because of that bad Collins contract. Jazz probably wanted 2 firsts or more, which made it fall through.

mo7888
12-27-2022, 04:02 PM
Apparently Suns, Hawks and Jazz had a trade in the works, which has failed due to Jazz wanting too much :

To Jazz - John Collins + picks
To Hawks - Jae Crowder + someone else from Suns
To Suns - Jarred Vanderbilt, Malik Beasley

Tbh I wouldn't want the Spurs being part of this in the place of Jazz because of that bad Collins contract. Jazz probably wanted 2 firsts or more, which made it fall through.

My only problem with the Spurs replacing the jazz is that I believe JC makes us better in the short term and that works against us. I think he's more the player he was 2 years ago than what we see now with the issues going on in ATL.

TD 21
12-27-2022, 05:15 PM
Lakers receive: Trent Jr.
Spurs receive: Raptors protected '23 1st, Beverley, Nunn, Lakers protected '27 1st
Raptors receive: Poeltl, Richardson

or

Lakers receive: Trent Jr., Reddish, Rose
Knicks receive: Beverley, Nunn, Lakers (via Bulls) '23 2nd
Spurs receive: Raptors protected '23 1st, Westbrook, Lakers '23 2nd, lightly protected '27 1st

BacktoBasics
12-27-2022, 06:37 PM
Lakers receive: Trent Jr.
Spurs receive: Raptors protected '23 1st, Beverley, Nunn, Lakers protected '27 1st

or

Lakers receive: Trent Jr., Reddish, Rose
Knicks receive: Beverley, Nunn, Lakers (via Bulls) '23 2nd
Spurs receive: Raptors protected '23 1st, Westbrook, Lakers '23 2nd, lightly protected '27 1st

This isn’t bad but the lakers aren’t getting enough to pull the trigger on either of these deals

TD 21
12-27-2022, 07:20 PM
This isn’t bad but the lakers aren’t getting enough to pull the trigger on either of these deals

Maybe, but for only one of their 1sts, I'm skeptical they can do better than young, sizable wings, one of whom is a starting caliber 3 and D type (plus his Bird rights) and the other they've been known to have interest in since at least last season, as well as a stopgap secondary creator (granted he might be done).

CGD
12-27-2022, 07:43 PM
My only problem with the Spurs replacing the jazz is that I believe JC makes us better in the short term and that works against us. I think he's more the player he was 2 years ago than what we see now with the issues going on in ATL.

Agree. Pass on Jollins, but I think spurs are primed to facilitate a Collins-Crowder swap.

ATL— Crowder; Romeo
PHX— Collins; Roby
SAS— Shatmat; Saric; Suns FRP

Chinook
01-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Agree. Pass on Jollins, but I think spurs are primed to facilitate a Collins-Crowder swap.

ATL— Crowder; Romeo
PHX— Collins; Roby
SAS— Shatmat; Saric; Suns FRP

The Suns are getting too good of a deal. They are trading for a good player using a negative package and a first. It's not horrible for the Spurs, but there's very little reason for the Hawks to do their part. MAYBE replacing Langford for Richardson would help, but then it's a question of if it's good enough for SA. If Josh wants to go, I'd probably be okay with it.

jjspur
01-04-2023, 09:49 AM
Possible trade:
Lakers get Doug McDermott
Bulls get: Patrick Beverly, Isiah Robey, future spurs #2
Spurs get : Patrick Williams , Coby White

This trade solves a few problems for all 3 teams. Lakers get shooting, Bulls get a point guard and rebounding, Spurs get a young PF and a pg, both of which we need. Everyone wins.

The lakers get decent shooting which they need more than a crazy point guard to push for the 10th seed (no draft picks needed to go out) . The bulls who aren't doing all that great and who might blow up their team if things don't improve real soon, get a more experienced and durable point guard, and some needed rebounding also to push for a playoff seed. The spurs get a strong pf which we don't have currently and a backup point guard on an expiring contract. Sounds like a lot for the spurs, but thats what the 2nd round pick to the bulls is for. Everyone gets a nice addition to their team (without giving up too much) to move beyond all three teams rather disappointing seasons. In the spurs case an early start for next year.

mo7888
01-04-2023, 10:34 AM
Possible trade:
Lakers get Doug McDermott
Bulls get: Patrick Beverly, Isiah Robey, future spurs #2
Spurs get : Patrick Williams , Coby White

This trade solves a few problems for all 3 teams. Lakers get shooting, Bulls get a point guard and rebounding, Spurs get a young PF and a pg, both of which we need. Everyone wins.

The lakers get decent shooting which they need more than a crazy point guard to push for the 10th seed (no draft picks needed to go out) . The bulls who aren't doing all that great and who might blow up their team if things don't improve real soon, get a more experienced and durable point guard, and some needed rebounding also to push for a playoff seed. The spurs get a strong pf which we don't have currently and a backup point guard on an expiring contract. Sounds like a lot for the spurs, but thats what the 2nd round pick to the bulls is for. Everyone gets a nice addition to their team (without giving up too much) to move beyond all three teams rather disappointing seasons. In the spurs case an early start for next year.

Without parsing it to much...I don't see anyway the bulls move Williams for anything like that..

The Truth #6
01-04-2023, 12:40 PM
Problem with some of our trade scenarios, more or less, is that we have to take players back, with some of them possibly having several years on their contract, and I don’t think the front office really wants to be saddled with more years of different mediocre players. It’s hard to say. As much as I want them to make trades, I don’t see them making neutral trades, I think they want to win trades.

Rocalcio
01-04-2023, 12:50 PM
Without parsing it to much...I don't see anyway the bulls move Williams for anything like that..

Williams is quite disappointing since his rookie season, his number didn’t improve at all. Not sure the Bulls would be so gready about him.

exstatic
01-04-2023, 01:07 PM
Problem with some of our trade scenarios, more or less, is that we have to take players back, with some of them possibly having several years on their contract, and I don’t think the front office really wants to be saddled with more years of different mediocre players. It’s hard to say. As much as I want them to make trades, I don’t see them making neutral trades, I think they want to win trades.

I don’t think they want player assets at all. Deadweight contracts and picks.

mo7888
01-04-2023, 01:16 PM
Williams is quite disappointing since his rookie season, his number didn’t improve at all. Not sure the Bulls would be so gready about him.

I don't think he's great either but the bulls have been approached a few times about him and wouldn't consider moving him for better packages.

jjspur
01-04-2023, 02:07 PM
You're right, I don't think the bulls want to let him go considering he was the 4th overall pick, but then his stats aren't setting the NBA on fire either. He's a decent player slightly better than average but definitely no all star or even close to one. Trading him now would be admitting the the bulls drafted him a bit too early.

CGD
01-04-2023, 06:49 PM
The Suns are getting too good of a deal. They are trading for a good player using a negative package and a first. It's not horrible for the Spurs, but there's very little reason for the Hawks to do their part. MAYBE replacing Langford for Richardson would help, but then it's a question of if it's good enough for SA. If Josh wants to go, I'd probably be okay with it.

Yeah, it’s tricky bc ATL and PHX are both precious about Collins and Crowder respectively. ATL will want another asset for sure, but would PHX be ok adding another FRP, maybe?

Unfortunately I also think Richardson has decreasing value by the day as teams will start viewing him as a buy out candidate. Adding him as you suggest probably on par with his value at this juncture.

exstatic
01-04-2023, 07:36 PM
Yeah, it’s tricky bc ATL and PHX are both precious about Collins and Crowder respectively. ATL will want another asset for sure, but would PHX be ok adding another FRP, maybe?

Unfortunately I also think Richardson has decreasing value by the day as teams will start viewing him as a buy out candidate. Adding him as you suggest probably on par with his value at this juncture.

Honestly? JRich looked dejected during media time after last years play in when asked if he’d be back this year. He’s an NBA player who WANTS to be here, and I doubt he’d even ask about a buyout, let alone push for one.

slick'81
01-04-2023, 07:55 PM
Honestly? JRich looked dejected during media time after last years play in when asked if he’d be back this year. He’s an NBA player who WANTS to be here, and I doubt he’d even ask about a buyout, let alone push for one.

dudes been passed around the nba like a blunt. Poor guy

CGD
01-04-2023, 08:44 PM
While they’re in NYC, might as well leave Doug and Romeo. Take in Fourniers contract and one of the NYKs 2023 FRPs in return

exstatic
01-04-2023, 09:11 PM
While they’re in NYC, might as well leave Doug and Romeo. Take in Fourniers contract and one of the NYKs 2023 FRPs in return

The major problem with that is that the Knicks don’t trade with us since they accused PATFO of tampering with Porzingas.

Chinook
01-04-2023, 11:28 PM
The Knicks got a really good deal for KP. I doubt they're so mad about that still that they'd still refuse to deal with the Spurs if the value makes sense.

exstatic
01-05-2023, 05:47 AM
The major problem with that is that the Knicks don’t trade with us since they accused PATFO of tampering with Porzingas.

The Knicks got a really good deal for KP. I doubt they're so mad about that still that they'd still refuse to deal with the Spurs if the value makes sense.

Then, they turned around and did the Marcus Morris thing. The bad blood doesn’t only run one way. I don’t think PATFO were too jazzed about the initial accusation, either.

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2023, 11:24 PM
kemba walker just got released....why not sign him to the vet?

mo7888
01-07-2023, 10:27 AM

Because on certain night he'll be good enough to get us a couple wins we wouldn't get otherwise... we don't need that this season..

lmbebo
01-07-2023, 11:02 AM

All I hear about him is that his knees are gone.

Mr. Body
01-07-2023, 11:14 AM
Kemba Walker can play one game, then his knees blow up and he has to sit out. He's done.

TD 21
01-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Latest NBA Trade Buzz: Keep Eyes on Small-Market Teams with Money to Burn | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10060740-latest-nba-trade-buzz-keep-eyes-on-small-market-teams-with-money-to-burn)

CGD
01-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Lebron chirping about upgrades again. Pundits seems to think ship has sailed on Turner/Heild deal. Beal can’t be traded.

Could Russ plus both picks for Doug, Rich, and Jakob be the best alternative?

slick'81
01-08-2023, 02:43 PM
Lebron chirping about upgrades again. Pundits seems to think ship has sailed on Turner/Heild deal. Beal can’t be traded.

doubt it. Lakers always low balling the hell outta us

KingKev
01-08-2023, 02:47 PM
Lakers probably see Russ as a positive asset suddenly. Willing to bet Lakers can’t get shit done at this point. Not sure who is more delusional… Pelinka or LeGM

Mr. Body
01-08-2023, 02:55 PM

Lakers have nothing to trade. Idiot press keeps running out them getting Beale or whatever and that ain't happening. Ham solved the Westbrook problem and he's not too shitty coming off the bench. They're not a great team but not totally awful and may get into the POs. But they have nothing to trade.

KingKev
01-08-2023, 03:09 PM
Keldon, Jak and McBooger for Russ. 27 & 29 unprotected firsts and their available pick swap. Vamos!!!

JPB
01-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Keldon, Jak and McBooger for Russ. 27 & 29 unprotected firsts and their available pick swap. Vamos!!!

Stay away from Wright, tbh.

CGD
01-08-2023, 04:29 PM

Moving Keldon feels like a next year move

slick'81
01-08-2023, 04:33 PM

werent we offered #4 pick for Keldon last draft?

CGD
01-08-2023, 04:34 PM

That’s interesting if true. Wasnt aware.
Something to file away for later.

exstatic
01-08-2023, 05:01 PM

For sure. Because he’s signed his extension, but is not yet in it, the salary implications are awful.

KingKev
01-08-2023, 05:04 PM
For sure. Because he’s signed his extension, but is not yet in it, the salary implications are awful.

not if you are getting compensated with big dollar draft capital.

KingKev
01-08-2023, 05:05 PM

Doubtful. Even PATFO isn’t dumb enough to turn down Ivy for KJ.

rascal
01-08-2023, 05:08 PM

Last draft, 2022 draft? The fo is terrible if they passed that up.

Mr. Body
01-08-2023, 05:12 PM

Jesus, this board makes up all kinds of shit. It's hilarious.

mo7888
01-08-2023, 05:31 PM
Last draft, 2022 draft? The fo is terrible if they passed that up.

They didn't...it wasn't on the table..

Ariel
01-08-2023, 06:58 PM
Nah, that was just speculation here as to how we could climb up the boards, just as we discussed endlessly about trying to pry away one of the Charlotte picks (which Detroit eventually did :bang). But there was never even the slightest indication any such deal was on the table.

XDT76
01-08-2023, 07:04 PM
Repeat enough of your fantasy and it will convince people such a thing happens just like the kawhi for Sac lottery pick.

slick'81
01-08-2023, 07:31 PM
Repeat enough of your fantasy and it will convince people such a thing happens just like the kawhi for Sac lottery pick.

or us getting victor

slick'81
01-08-2023, 07:34 PM
Nah, that was just speculation here as to how we could climb up the boards, just as we discussed endlessly about trying to pry away one of the Charlotte picks (which Detroit eventually did :bang). But there was never even the slightest indication any such deal was on the table.

could of sworn there was a timvp article about it. It was just rumors though

Ocotillo
01-08-2023, 07:44 PM
Lakers probably see Russ as a positive asset suddenly. Willing to bet Lakers can’t get shit done at this point. Not sure who is more delusional… Pelinka or LeGM

They can have him back if the Spurs just buy out Russ or is there some sort of restriction?

exstatic
01-08-2023, 07:51 PM
They can have him back if the Spurs just buy out Russ or is there some sort of restriction?

Not for a year.

The trade, waive,immediately re-sign was a fairly accepted practice until the Spurs did it with Brent Barry, then it was banned.

mo7888
01-08-2023, 07:55 PM
I hope LA gets desperate to move those 27 and 29 picks, even if it's not to us. There's nothing out there that's gonna make much difference for them. Our package of jak, rich, and Doug probably results in more wins than anything out there but it won't do much more than have them getting beat in the 1st round. There present is kinda screwed and I wouldn't mind them screwing their future as well.