PDA

View Full Version : Official 2nd Round Draft Pick Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Uriel
05-16-2023, 08:06 PM
Now that we know who we're picking in the first round, the only discussion to be had left is who we're picking in the second.

From the ESPN Mock Draft just released.

33. San Antonio Spurs (https://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs)

https://on3static.com/uploads/dev/assets/cms/2022/11/16225753/Dillon-Mitchell.jpg

Dillon Mitchell (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/5106283/dillon-mitchell) | Texas | PF | Age: 19.6

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 08:17 PM
I'm pretty sure we gonna move up into the late first round with the 33rd pick and all the future 2nds we got

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 08:18 PM
You don't want to burn all your future draft capital, but at this point you can really push for a player you want and move forward.

rascal
05-16-2023, 08:23 PM
Spurs should move up into the first round and draft a PG.

They should not trade any of the Atlanta picks as those could be lottery picks while the Spurs are making the playoffs.

Having a top lottery pick as a playoff team is gold. I expect Atlanta to be bad when the Spurs get Atlanta's picks.

rascal
05-16-2023, 08:27 PM
Spurs should move up into the first round and draft a PG.

They should not trade any of the Atlanta picks as those could be lottery picks while the Spurs are making the playoffs.

Having a top lottery pick as a playoff team is gold. I expect Atlanta to be bad when the Spurs get Atlanta's picks.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 08:29 PM
I think the only real talented PGs available - who woudln't just be Tre-level - are Cason Wallace, Hood-Schifino, and Black. I don't think they can get into range to get Black, probably not Wallace, and I've fallen off my interest in JHS. He's talented but just has so much to work on. I don't see him leading a team in the near future.

Uriel
05-16-2023, 09:27 PM
32. San Antonio Spurs: Marcus Sasser (https://theathletic.com/college-basketball/player/marcus-sasser-3MChc9DNh30S9vVH/) | 6-2 guard | 22 years old | Houston
https://dxbhsrqyrr690.cloudfront.net/sidearm.nextgen.sites/uhcougars.com/images/2023/1/23/Sasser_Marcus_AOkel.jpg

Uriel
05-16-2023, 09:29 PM
33 Spurs
Dariq Whitehead
https://snworksceo.imgix.net/dtc/befaaab2-7797-4c37-8ae6-74008103c393.sized-1000x1000.jpg?w=1000
SF (https://nbadraftroom.com/small-forwards/) – Duke – HT: 6-5 – WT: 220 – WING: 6-9 – Fr- Dariq is a 5-star talent but a second foot surgery will hurt his draft stock. Hopefully he can get back to full health and regain his form. McDonald’s Game MVP (https://nbadraftroom.com/thoughts-on-the-2022-mcdonalds-all-american-game/)

T Park
05-16-2023, 09:32 PM
I think if someone is dropping, you get semi aggressive with the assets like Charlotte and Chicago picks

playblair
05-16-2023, 10:17 PM
jabari rice.......

http://youtu.be/D1EeENOkJqM

Russ
05-16-2023, 10:19 PM
I think if someone is dropping, you get semi aggressive with the assets like Charlotte and Chicago picks

Oh this is so much fun. House money.

playblair
05-16-2023, 10:20 PM
can u post the full mock article.....

Degoat
05-16-2023, 10:20 PM
Any potential floor generals in the 2nd? Lol

JPB
05-16-2023, 10:23 PM
Trade up and reach for Bilal coulibaly... Then sign or trade for a vet PG.

Ariel
05-16-2023, 10:30 PM
This thread is tricky, because I think (and wish) there's a real chance the Spurs could move up to the 20s for a higher upside guy. In that case, my favorite would be someone like Dariq Whitehead or Kobe Bufkin, maybe Rayan Rupert or Bilal Coulibaly, But that's a different argument. If we do stay at #33 (since we surpassed Houston that's our 2nd rounder), then maybe at #33 Colby Jones, Strawther or Jaime Jaquez could be options, or at #44 it could be Judah Mintz, Adem Bona, Jordan Walsh or a Nnaji draft & stash.

dbestpro
05-16-2023, 10:53 PM
Zach Edey is physical and can play the post. He does not move well, but at 7-4, it would be fun to see him and Wemby on the floor simultaneously.

BackHome
05-16-2023, 10:59 PM
I am taking Strawther with our 33rd pick - for our other pick I really like Arizona big man Azuolas Tubelis 6’11 or maybe draft and stash Tristan Vukcevic from Serbia. Don’t be surprised if they don’t take a swing at PG Isaiah Wong a PG from Miami

SpurPadre
05-16-2023, 11:15 PM
NBA Draft Net has us taking Terquavion Smith 6-4, 165 Point Guard/Shooting Guard at 32 and Seth Lundy 6-6, 220 Shooting Guard/Small Forward at 44. Thoughts?

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 11:27 PM
NBA Draft Net has us taking Terquavion Smith 6-4, 165 Point Guard/Shooting Guard at 32 and Seth Lundy 6-6, 220 Shooting Guard/Small Forward at 44. Thoughts?

Terquavion Smith pulled out last year hoping to advance his draft stock. It may have backfired, but he has talent that needs work. Might be too shoot-first, however, and he was low efficiency already. Can he scale down? Good AST/TO though.

BackHome
05-16-2023, 11:39 PM
He was a late first last year I think he will go late this year as he has some injuries that impacted his game but I still think he has first round talent he definitely is a bucket getter

Chinook
05-16-2023, 11:55 PM
I'm pretty sure we gonna move up into the late first round with the 33rd pick and all the future 2nds we got

With Charlotte winning the second pick, I think their first has more value now in trades. I am much more confident that 33 and that pick could get 20 from the Warriors, especially with some future seconds added. GS traded away four of their seconds in other deals and probably need to restock their coffers. While giving up a high second and what is possibly a mid-first next year is a lot, the protections still keep the pick from being that great, and with the Spurs likely mid- to high-first and a similar pick from Toronto, they don't particularly need to sweat that.

cd98
05-16-2023, 11:58 PM
Spurs just have so many tools to rebuild this team now that they got a high upside pick. Cap space, tons of picks and pick swaps, some desireable roster players. Just can't believe our luck. Heck, the 2nd round pick will be a player that was in the conversation as a first round pick.

cjw
05-17-2023, 12:16 AM
Now that you have Wemby, you don’t hoard assets if there’s someone you absolutely covet. The Spurs’ own picks aren’t as “must keep” after winning the lottery and as some have mentioned, I’d rather keep all of the other picks (other than next year’s first). Heck, even the Celtics swap late this decade is now that much more in play.

cd98
05-17-2023, 12:22 AM
Now that you have Wemby, you don’t hoard assets if there’s someone you absolutely covet. The Spurs’ own picks aren’t as “must keep” after winning the lottery and as some have mentioned, I’d rather keep all of the other picks (other than next year’s first). Heck, even the Celtics swap late this decade is now that much more in play.

I'm way ahead of myself, but I could easily see Hawks imploding and giving us some lottery picks both, especially with those pick swaps. Just so many ways that this could go powerhouse.

scott
05-17-2023, 12:35 AM
With Wemby secured, I think in many ways it gives us flexibility to trade away these SRPs to consolidate and move up or add a vet contributor. We already have 3 second year guys on the squad, I'm sure the Spurs aren't too excited about adding 3 more rookies to the team. From a developmental perspective, part of me wants the Spurs to only bring in Wemby as a rookie so that our resources are devoted to him and our 3 sophomores. 33 might be able to land us a pretty decent vet PG and 44 we could just sell away. As much as I like the idea of moving up into the first to grab someone, I don't think we need another development project along the lines of Blake Wesley.

Ignazzz
05-17-2023, 12:44 AM
Guys. We have 32nd or 33 pick.
now i see. 33

Russ
05-17-2023, 12:44 AM
They might be able to bundle and move up to pick someone like Jordan Hawkins.

JPB
05-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Guys. We have 32nd or 33 pick.
now i see. 33

It's 33 since we got the 1st and HOU the 4th.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-17-2023, 01:20 AM
Now that we know who we're picking in the first round, the only discussion to be had left is who we're picking in the second.

From the ESPN Mock Draft just released.

SpursGenius
05-17-2023, 01:35 AM
Wow texas really wasted his talent. Didn’t utilize his shot. No wonder they losing their 5 stars

Big Empty
05-17-2023, 05:03 AM
The Mavs got the 10th pick and probably not looking to draft someone to develop. Is there someone at 10 the Spurs like? Would u trade Keldon for the 10th pick if the Mavs are even interested? Or do we think Keldon is going to get even better?

exstatic
05-17-2023, 06:24 AM
Zach Edey is physical and can play the post. He does not move well, but at 7-4, it would be fun to see him and Wemby on the floor simultaneously.

I had this very thought, in the case where we got Wemby.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 06:26 AM

I may be moving anti-combine in a way, but a guy hitting shots in an open gym doesn't mean much to me. That's Ben Simmons stuff.

exstatic
05-17-2023, 06:28 AM
This thread is tricky, because I think (and wish) there's a real chance the Spurs could move up to the 20s for a higher upside guy. In that case, my favorite would be someone like Dariq Whitehead or Kobe Bufkin, maybe Rayan Rupert or Bilal Coulibaly, But that's a different argument. If we do stay at #33 (since we surpassed Houston that's our 2nd rounder), then maybe at #33 Colby Jones, Strawther or Jaime Jaquez could be options, or at #44 it could be Judah Mintz, Adem Bona, Jordan Walsh or a Nnaji draft & stash.

You heard it here first. Kobe Bufkin is going in the lottery. He’s better than his teammate, Howard, and like Devin, is a 19 YO SOPHOMORE, with 60ish NCAA games under his belt.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 06:40 AM
Yeah, I think Bufkin's definitely lottery material. He's been going up mock boards. Another guy is Leonard Miller who's moved. Not that he'd be a Spurs target.

exstatic
05-17-2023, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I think Bufkin's definitely lottery material. He's been going up mock boards. Another guy is Leonard Miller who's moved. Not that he'd be a Spurs target.

There’s something about having that much game film to look at that’s going to give GMs a comfort level with him. No mystery box here.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-17-2023, 07:06 AM
I may be moving anti-combine in a way, but a guy hitting shots in an open gym doesn't mean much to me. That's Ben Simmons stuff.
+
1:30:15

https://youtu.be/mQUjojLenDE?t=5415

mo7888
05-17-2023, 07:39 AM

You're probably right, but I dont remember Simmons being able to knock down several 3's in a row in an open gym... not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember it...

rascal
05-17-2023, 08:23 AM
They might be able to bundle and move up to pick someone like Jordan Hawkins.

That would be great.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 09:35 AM
You heard it here first. Kobe Bufkin is going in the lottery. He’s better than his teammate, Howard, and like Devin, is a 19 YO SOPHOMORE, with 60ish NCAA games under his belt.
It's very likely, yes, which is why I named SEVERAL GUYS as someone ALWAYS slips. It's unlikely to be Bufkin (could go 13 to Toronto IMO), but if he slips even a bit into the late teens or even 20 (GSW) the Spurs have more than enough to pull a trade for a player they really like. He'd fit in very nicely in our core,

Russ
05-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Yet another benefit of getting Wemby is that the Spurs are back in their comfort zone again -- late first round/early second.

No entitled overpaid prima donnas in the 2-5 range. Picking that early is (unfortunately) a great equalizer that minimizes draft expertise.

The Spurs can once again go after raw projects like GG Jackson (and a ton of others) who may fall. More upside with less anxiety on the line -- I love it.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 09:42 AM
With Wemby secured, I think in many ways it gives us flexibility to trade away these SRPs to consolidate and move up or add a vet contributor. We already have 3 second year guys on the squad, I'm sure the Spurs aren't too excited about adding 3 more rookies to the team. From a developmental perspective, part of me wants the Spurs to only bring in Wemby as a rookie so that our resources are devoted to him and our 3 sophomores. 33 might be able to land us a pretty decent vet PG and 44 we could just sell away. As much as I like the idea of moving up into the first to grab someone, I don't think we need another development project along the lines of Blake Wesley.
Not Blake Wesley kind of raw, but I think we should target some high potential prospect if the opportunity is there. Wemby and Sochan need developing but they're already contributors, Malaki as well though to a lesser extent. The only guys I'd say are projects are Wesley, Barlow and Bassey. I think landing Wemby doesn't bode well for Barlow though, he's a character kid with a number of interesting traits and I'd like to give him another year to see where he stands, but the sudden influx of power forwards in Sochan and Wemby (I think this is his ideal NBA ṕosition) will probably mean not many opportunities will be available to him.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 09:48 AM
Yet another benefit of getting Wemby is that the Spurs are back in their comfort zone again -- late first round/early second.

No entitled overpaid prima donnas in the 2-5 range. Picking that early is (unfortunately) a great equalizer that minimizes draft expertise.

The Spurs can once again go after raw projects like GG Jackson (and a ton of others) who may fall. More upside with less anxiety on the line -- I love it.
I don't think we're quite there instantaneously, but Wemby should pull us out of the high lottery at the very least, probably in the 8-12 range next year (35-40 wins). As for GG Jackson, I don't know that he's the right fit for the Spurs. He's too young and too raw, and he may not be a contributor before his rookie deal is up, in which case using a first rounder on him would be a waste. Also he overlaps with Wemby, Sochan and Barlow, the latter of whom is already on the team and deserving of a chance. This is probably where scott's post above applies, in terms of not overdoing the project thing.

DesignatedT
05-17-2023, 09:54 AM
I wonder if the Spurs have any interest in Wemby's current teammate Bilal Coulibaly and what kind of relationship the two have. He seems to be projected in that 15-25 range.

Russ
05-17-2023, 09:56 AM
I don't think we're quite there instantaneously, but Wemby should pull us out of the high lottery at the very least, probably in the 8-12 range next year (35-40 wins).

I'm just talking about draft position this year.

As for GG Jackson, I don't know that he's the right fit for the Spurs. He's too young and too raw, and he may not be a contributor before his rookie deal is up, in which case using a first rounder on him would be a waste. Also he overlaps with Wemby, Sochan and Barlow, the latter of whom is already on the team and deserving of a chance. This is probably where scott's post above applies, in terms of not overdoing the project thing.

Why not just some throw some projects in the fire and let em fight it out -- see who can play and who wants to. Not so sure there's any need to overthink roster construction at this point.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 10:02 AM
Why not just some throw some projects in the fire and let em fight it out -- see who can play and who wants to. Not so sure there's any need to overthink roster construction at this point.
Because if you can't offer at least the possibility of some playing time, it's conducive to a toxic environment, and that doesn't help development. I'm not opposed to the concept in a vacuum, but there's a limit to everything and at PF we probably reached it. Better to focus on other positions/archetypes IMO.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 10:02 AM
I wonder if the Spurs have any interest in Wemby's current teammate Bilal Coulibaly and what kind of relationship the two have. He seems to be projected in that 15-25 range.

they should absolutely try to get that kid. Swing for the fences type of pick, unless they have their eyes set on somebody else

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 10:11 AM

Yeah I hadn't really processed this part yet. Struggling/tanking teams get into a vortex of bad salaries if they don't watch out. The Rockets will be paying pretty top salaries to Jalen Green and Jabari Smith and then whoever they pick this year. Their Sengun and Eason picks will be much more valuable in terms of salary.

Degoat
05-17-2023, 10:15 AM
I’m confident the spurs can find a George Hill type in the early 2nd

lmbebo
05-17-2023, 10:25 AM
The Mavs got the 10th pick and probably not looking to draft someone to develop. Is there someone at 10 the Spurs like? Would u trade Keldon for the 10th pick if the Mavs are even interested? Or do we think Keldon is going to get even better?

I think Dallas wants to get Ayton.

Russ
05-17-2023, 10:32 AM
Because if you can't offer at least the possibility of some playing time, it's conducive to a toxic environment, and that doesn't help development. I'm not opposed to the concept in a vacuum, but there's a limit to everything and at PF we probably reached it. Better to focus on other positions/archetypes IMO.

Probably a happy medium is best (and this is a time to be happy). :toast

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 10:38 AM

Perfect place for him to underachieve.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 11:20 AM

I hope they do...

InRareForm
05-17-2023, 11:21 AM
Hollinger says our 35th pick went to 50th because we got a better draft position than the rockets in the 1st. That true ?

BackHome
05-17-2023, 11:49 AM
You're probably right, but I dont remember Simmons being able to knock down several 3's in a row in an open gym... not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember it...

There is a vid of Simmons this year hitting three after three in warmups and then bricking in game time

BackHome
05-17-2023, 11:51 AM
Hollinger says our 35th pick went to 50th because we got a better draft position than the rockets in the 1st. That true ?

No our first pick is 33 we lost coin flip with I believe Houston and the next pick is 44 which was the Raptors pick

Russ
05-17-2023, 12:01 PM
Bold prediction -- the pundits will grade the Spurs as an A or A+ on draft night.

(I mean, can you imagine drafting Wenbanyama and getting a B?)

:flag:

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 12:05 PM
You don't want to burn all your future draft capital, but at this point you can really push for a player you want and move forward.
the extra seconds are hot potatoes that the spurs will have next to no use for. sure, if we didnt have the star, its nice to just take a ton of low-value swings, evaluate for 1-2 years, and move on

we already never wanted to use all those 2nds, but now they're even less valuable than they were 24 hours ago. we are already likely going to have 6 first round picks in the 24/25 drafts

Russ
05-17-2023, 12:09 PM
the extra seconds are hot potatoes that the spurs will have next to no use for.

Worst comes to worst, you can always get cash.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 12:11 PM
that doesnt help the team at all. just lines the owners pockets. doesnt create cap space, nothing.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 12:20 PM
Bold prediction -- the pundits will grade the Spurs as an A or A+ on draft night.

(I mean, can you imagine drafting Wenbanyama and getting a B?)

:flag:
No one will dare to go with anything less than A+. They don't have the balls to do so.

wildbill2u
05-17-2023, 01:11 PM
I always thought Barlow was going to be a PF with some versatility and motion. He showed some good things late in the season when he got over his shyness. But with Wemby coming in, his window of opportunity to develop here just narrowed a lot because there simply aren't enough minutes to go around.

Drom John
05-17-2023, 01:32 PM
yahoo! sports: 2023 NBA Mock Draft 8.0: San Antonio Spurs land the No. 1 pick with Victor Wembanyama's future team revealed
Krysten Peek, Tue, May 16, 2023, 9:27 PM EDT

33. San Antonio Spurs: G Julian Strawther

Ht./Wt.: 6-7, 205 pounds | Class: Junior | Gonzaga

45. San Antonio Spurs: F DaRon Holmes II

Ht./Wt.: 6-10, 225 pounds | Class: Sophomore | Dayton

Drom John
05-17-2023, 01:35 PM
Bleacher Report: 2023 NBA Mock Draft: Full 2-Round Predictions After Lottery Reveal
Jonathan Wasserman, May 16, 2023

32. San Antonio Spurs: James Nnaji (Barcelona, C, 2004)

Though he's limited offensively, Nnaji has the body, athleticism and Euroleague experience for NBA teams to picture a surefire rim protector and finisher.

44. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): Terrence Shannon Jr. (Illinois, SG/SF, Senior)

Improved shot-making turned Shannon into a more realistic three-and-D option, while the slashing and playmaking flashes suggest he'll have some margin for error with his shooting consistency.

Degoat
05-17-2023, 01:38 PM
We need size and play making for others. People can’t forget about the month of February that Branham had and even Champagnie end of the year play

Drom John
05-17-2023, 01:40 PM
Clutch Points: 2023 NBA Mock Draft 1.0: Post-Lottery edition after Spurs win Victor Wembanyama sweepstakes
Brett Siegel, May 17, 2023 at 11:25 AM EDT

33. San Antonio Spurs – SF/PF Dillon Mitchell – Texas

44. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors) – PG/SG Amari Bailey – UCLA

Drom John
05-17-2023, 01:48 PM
The Spread 810AM: 2023 NBA Mock Draft Including Best Bets & Sleeper Picks
May 16, 2023 6:24 pm

32. San Antonio Spurs: James Nnaji (C, Nigeria)

The Spurs and another international project? Sign me up. Nnaji is a Nigerian prospect who spent last season playing as a reserve in Spain, but this San Antonio organization has a rich history of molding these types of prospects into special players at the NBA level.

44. San Antonio Spurs: Nikola Djurisic (SG, Serbia)

Another international prospect, another Spurs pick. This time, 6’8 Serbian shooting guard Djurisic would be the pick. He averaged 16.1 points, 4.0 rebounds and 4.8 assists per 36 minutes in the Serbian professional league last season and just turned 19 years old. He has a big frame, tons of offensive versatility and is a proven shot-maker and playmaker. He will probably climb in my next mock depending on how his workouts go.

Drom John
05-17-2023, 01:49 PM
Sports Gaming Rosters: 2023 NBA Mock Draft With Analysis – 5/16/23

33. San Antonio Spurs – SF Andre Jackson Jr., Jr, Connecticut

44. San Antonio Spurs (from TOR) – C Zach Edey, Jr, Purdue

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 01:55 PM
10 second round picks for Anthony Black who says no

exstatic
05-17-2023, 02:18 PM

That would just be peak Cuban.

exstatic
05-17-2023, 02:19 PM

No. It also wasn't 35th. It is, and remains 33rd.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 02:21 PM
No. It also wasn't 35th. It is, and remains 33rd.
Could have been 32 until lottery night (if Houston ended up with a better pick).

exstatic
05-17-2023, 02:22 PM

I see that happening with more than a few of our SRPs. We just have way too many overall picks to use.

scott
05-17-2023, 02:51 PM
Just spit-balling but I think getting Wemby also increases the ability to use those SRPs on older players with higher floors but lower ceilings. Julian Strawther, Jaime Jaquez type players. Dare I even say a guy like Drew Timme - someone who will likely never develop into a starter but could be a valuable 3rd string rotation player.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 02:54 PM
Just spit-balling but I think getting Wemby also increases the ability to use those SRPs on older players with higher floors but lower ceilings. Julian Strawther, Jaime Jaquez type players. Dare I even say a guy like Drew Timme - someone who will likely never develop into a starter but could be a valuable 3rd string rotation player.

Sure, but you can only do it so many times.

scott
05-17-2023, 02:56 PM
Sure, but you can only do it so many times.

Yeah, I'm really only talking about one time, this year.

scott
05-17-2023, 02:57 PM
Though, TBH those far our SRPs will be valuable after you've got Wemby and Sochan on max extensions and you've got to fill out the roster. Older player SRP's will be valuable to managing the cap.

Darkwaters
05-17-2023, 03:02 PM
No one will dare to go with anything less than A+. They don't have the balls to do so.

At least we won't see the usual "steal of the draft" crap that highlights every single post-draft analysis when the Spurs are concerned. After Manu, Parker and Leonard they just assume we found diamond nobody else saw.

Russ
05-17-2023, 03:09 PM
Terquavian Smith (6'4" combo guard, NC State) looks pretty good in the NBA Combine scrimmage. He can flat out shoot from long range and has some nice passes off penetration, also can wing it crisply from the perimeter. He's quick, moves with a purpose, tries on defense. A bit "elderly" at 20.4 years. The more you watch, the more you like. I keep amending this post -- this guy is just popping. (In fact, he's looking like Ja Morant without the guns.)

Some mocks have him going to the Spurs with the better second round pick. Bet he'll move up to the late first the way he's playing today.

Would be nice to get someone like him and an even higher-rated pick.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 03:25 PM
Clutch Points: 2023 NBA Mock Draft 1.0: Post-Lottery edition after Spurs win Victor Wembanyama sweepstakes
Brett Siegel, May 17, 2023 at 11:25 AM EDT

I like Mitchell in the 2nd round...

Russ
05-17-2023, 03:29 PM
I like Mitchell in the 2nd round...

The problem with Mitchell is he doesn't do anything when he's on the court -- he should have to pay for a ticket (as a Longhorn fan I'm afraid I gotta say that).

mo7888
05-17-2023, 03:35 PM
The problem with Mitchell is he doesn't do anything when he's on the court -- he should have to pay for a ticket (as a Longhorn fan I'm afraid I gotta say that).

He's about as raw as they get. You're betting on athleticism, character, and work ethic, but in the 2nd round its not a very big bet..

Russ
05-17-2023, 03:40 PM
He's about as raw as they get. You're betting on athleticism, character, and work ethic, but in the 2nd round its not a very big bet..

You may be right. I'm rooting for him. He's got potential. But damn he just stands around and seems to move as far away from the ball as possible (on both O and D).

exstatic
05-17-2023, 04:21 PM
Guys and gals, we have a roster rapidly filling with prospects, we have Wemby, and there is a VERY good chance that we will have 3 FRPs again next year, ours, Charlotte's 1-14 protected and Toronto's 1-6 protected. I can't see us selecting and keeping a player with either SRP this year.

Our draft fruit
Wemby
Keldon
Devin
Sochan
Branham
Wesley

Guaranteed deals
Zach
Bassey
McDermot
Graham

Guys you may want to bring back or promote

Mamu
Champagnie
Barlow

That's 13 guys already, and assumes that we bring back NO one who's contract is expiring, and acquire no players in trades, which we really need to to hit the salary floor and get our luxtax payment next summer. That has to be done before the season, per the new CBA. They'll either waive Birch and collect insurance, or just waive him.

There's just not a lot of room, with 3 guaranteed FRP contracts getting added a year from now. Most second rounders of any talent won't sign a 2way, and they won't sign a one year deal.

duncan2150
05-17-2023, 04:27 PM
Three guys who could be available and i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LaJ15ENuGo
athletic inside guy, athletic, good shotblocker but can't or doesn't shoot, a little bit small at 6'9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1a0JT8D_I
Good offensive fundamentals, good IQ, could play the 3 and the 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DY85Cvn9Es
combo guard, good passer, can score and shot ( he's playing well at the combine tonight)

Russ
05-17-2023, 04:32 PM
Guys and gals, we have a roster rapidly filling with prospects, we have Wemby, and there is a VERY good chance that we will have 3 FRPs again next year, ours, Charlotte's 1-14 protected and Toronto's 1-6 protected. I can't see us selecting and keeping a player with either SRP this year.

Our draft fruit
Wemby
Keldon
Devin
Sochan
Branham
Wesley

Guaranteed deals
Zach
Bassey
McDermot
Graham

Mamu
Champagnie
Barlow

That's 13 guys already, and assumes that we bring back NO one who's contract is expiring, and acquire no players in trades, which we really need to to hit the salary floor and get our luxtax payment next summer. That has to be done before the season, per the new CBA. They'll either waive Birch and collect insurance, or just waive him.

There's just not a lot of room, with 3 guaranteed FRP contracts getting added a year from now. Most second rounders of any talent won't sign a 2way, and they won't sign a one year deal.

Good problem to have. (Not sure Barlow is an NBA player.)

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 04:38 PM
Three guys who could be available and i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LaJ15ENuGo
athletic inside guy, athletic, good shotblocker but can't or doesn't shoot, a little bit small at 6'9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1a0JT8D_I
Good offensive fundamentals, good IQ, could play the 3 and the 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DY85Cvn9Es
combo guard, good passer, can score and shot ( he's playing well at the combine tonight)

I've said elsewhere that TJD would be great next to Wembanyama if Collins isn't playing with him. The Pacers need size, however, and have the late FRPs to grab their home state guy.

I don't have a strong feel for Jaquez.

Podziemski is looking great during the combine. Just knows how to play. I think he'll go in the 20-30 range.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 04:43 PM

Our draft fruit
Wemby
Keldon
Devin
Sochan
Branham
Wesley

Guaranteed deals
Zach
Bassey
McDermot
Graham

Mamu
Champagnie
Barlow

while we are probably going to have 2 or 3 guaranteed FRP next year, keep in mind that Birch, McDermott will be expiring, and Graham is de facto expiring. i dont know if they plan to extend zollins now or wait until he hits the market, but id have to assume he's a keeper. bassey also has no guarantees after this year

exstatic
05-17-2023, 04:46 PM
while we are probably going to have 2 or 3 guaranteed FRP next year, keep in mind that Birch, McDermott will be expiring, and Graham is de facto expiring. i dont know if they plan to extend zollins now or wait until he hits the market, but id have to assume he's a keeper. bassey also has no guarantees after this year

Right, but if we try to monetize them, chances are we have to take back some salary that may carry into 24-25. Most teams can't just absorb a 8 figure salary.

EricB
05-17-2023, 04:54 PM
Man I would LOVE trace Jackson-Davis.

offset formation
05-17-2023, 04:56 PM
Good problem to have. (Not sure Barlow is an NBA player.)

Agree he's not IMO. Would love to bring I'm a defensive guy.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 04:59 PM

Birch, McDermott and Graham are not players you need to play. Any draft pick they make, they'll need to find time for them, so this isn't simply a matter of roster spots so much as development time.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 05:05 PM
Birch, McDermott and Graham are not players you need to play. Any draft pick they make, they'll need to find time for them, so this isn't simply a matter of roster spots so much as development time.
i mean you literally need the roster spots

ace3g
05-17-2023, 05:15 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1658954154755207171

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 05:18 PM
i mean you literally need the roster spots

Big if true.

ace3g
05-17-2023, 05:20 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1658921918764810241

couchman
05-17-2023, 07:08 PM
Crazy idea, but one player I would be willing to trade a lot of draft capital for is Scoot Henderson, and I think he'll be available at Portland's #3 spot.
I also think Portland will be shopping that pick.

BackHome
05-17-2023, 07:18 PM
One kid I would like the Spurs to take a look at is Grant Nelson from NDSU - He is an athletic big 6’11 weighs 220 not to skinny one thing that stood out in the combine is he had the 3rd fastest Pro Lane Time “EVER” -9.99 that is crazy for anyone much less a big man.

Again I like Strawthers he had a good combine shot the ball well and like his measurements HT 6’6.5 - Wingspan 6’11.75

Splits
05-17-2023, 07:21 PM
Sasser. He played 4 years at Houston, he's NBA ready (maybe not starter ready). Can shoot lights out and was a leading defender on the #2 defense in all of NCAA last year.

JuneJive
05-17-2023, 07:27 PM
duncan2150 has a really great selection there.

Either one of those guys would be a great addition.

SpursBills
05-17-2023, 08:49 PM
duncan2150 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49700) has a really great selection there.

Either one of those guys would be a great addition.

Second this. In the second round, really want to try and get as many well-rounded players who drop either because of age or "non-elite" ceilings if at all possible. Playoff basketball is all about matchup hunting and you want as many guys who can't get played off the floor as possible. Spurs have plenty of first round picks (both their own and other teams') to try and get starters. In the early second round I'm trying to get the Grant Williams/ Kyle Kuzma/ Jared Dudley / Larry Nance Jr types who can be your 6-7-8 in a playoff rotation and won't get played off the floor.

The Truth #6
05-18-2023, 07:52 AM
I could see them appreciating a high SRP having less contractual commitment. But if a team wants a bunch of SRPs then I’m not opposed to it. But in the 20s are we going to find a better option than Tre Jones or Graham. I think Graham could thrive next year in a complementary role. We’ll see.

rascal
05-18-2023, 08:28 AM
Andre Jackson

Rosewood
05-18-2023, 09:58 AM
Zach Edey is physical and can play the post. He does not move well, but at 7-4, it would be fun to see him and Wemby on the floor simultaneously. Surprised this isn’t a more popular opinion. I think he’d be perfect for our team and we probably wouldn’t have to give up any assets at all to get him. Dude is physical and can defend the paint well.

this is my choice personally.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 10:06 AM
Surprised this isn’t a more popular opinion. I think he’d be perfect for our team and we probably wouldn’t have to give up any assets at all to get him. Dude is physical and can defend the paint well.

this is my choice personally.

He is an absolute monster on offense. His PER was 40 last year. That's pretty alien all by itself. If you played him limited minutes, and always with Wemby as a rim protecting backstop in case of switches, he could beast.

Rosewood
05-18-2023, 10:07 AM
He is an absolute monster on offense. His PER was 40 last year. That's pretty alien all by itself. If you played him limited minutes, and always with Wemby as a rim protecting backstop in case of switches, he could beast. Yup. I understand he wouldn’t fit on a whole lot of teams, but because we got Vic I think this move makes too much sense.

rjv
05-18-2023, 10:09 AM
some notes from the combine (per CBS and SI). did anyone actually get to watch any?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2023-nba-draft-combine-notes-takeaways-marquettes-o-max-prosper-and-no-99-make-good-first-impressions/

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/05/17/nba-combine-day-one-standout-prospects

Degoat
05-18-2023, 10:12 AM
some notes from the combine (per CBS and SI). did anyone actually get to watch any?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2023-nba-draft-combine-notes-takeaways-marquettes-o-max-prosper-and-no-99-make-good-first-impressions/

Theres condensed highlights on YouTube of it, haven’t watched yet tho

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 10:17 AM

I only caught some of the Podziemski game and then the one after. Honestly there weren't a lot of great prospects playing. I think today may be different? But not everyone is playing in the scrimmages. Emoni Bates looked alright, too.

Russ
05-18-2023, 10:52 AM

Watched four hours on ESPN yesterday.

Hope Terquavian Smith plays again today -- he looked better than most featured in the videos above imo.

couchman
05-18-2023, 11:06 AM
A lot of mocks have Bilal going in the 20s and maybe even later.
I suspect he will move up the board as teams get a better look at him.
The kid is still learning how to be 6'6" (grew 8 inches in two years) but you don't have to squint very hard to see the huge potential there.
I can see the Spurs moving up to grab him if he's available in the 20's.

Dillon Mitchell is an intriguing option in the 2nd round.
He showed almost nothing his freshman year at UT but he is an incredible athlete so he could become something if given time.
I'd be okay with the high upside/low floor swing at Mitchell in that spot.

If we want a higher floor/lower ceiling guy I think Keyontae Johnson will be a solid bench guy in the NBA for a while.

kobyz
05-18-2023, 01:00 PM
Jalen Wilson seems a Spurs material

$pursDynasty
05-18-2023, 01:06 PM
I read this option somewhere as well the idea of it intrigues me.

wildbill2u
05-18-2023, 01:51 PM
Grant Nelson: I don't know if we need a 6'11'' kid with great handles for a big man, speed, shooting touch on mini sky hooks, but not so great defender perhaps. Willing to shoot from perimeter but not at a great percentage. Reminds me of a better shooting Barlow. Just sayin'.

CGD
05-18-2023, 06:10 PM
Nab a center at 33. Trade 44 for a future SRP like last year

spurraider21
05-18-2023, 06:16 PM
Edey seems like a meme. i mean, teams have tried this thing with boban and he couldnt stay on the floor. edey looks like a less skilled version

BackHome
05-18-2023, 07:55 PM
Tristan Vukcevic had a very nice combine also I was surprised he spoke Spanish so well in one of his interviews. He definitely comes across as Spurs material I could easily see a draft and stash and bring him over in a year or two.

Grant Nelson came out of no where for me he moves so well for someone his size and has speed and explosion - His shoot needs work and he needs to add some bulk not sure if he is going to come out or inter the pool and move to Kentucky or Kansas? One thing for sure if he works on his shooting he could easily be a top 10 pick next year that is how athletic the kid is..

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 08:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62mMJpungtY

Brian Wright was interviewed during the draft combine and it was pretty entertaining.

Uriel
05-18-2023, 08:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62mMJpungtY

Brian Wright was interviewed during the draft combine and it was pretty entertaining.
This interview corroborates what timvp had previously reported.

1. The team puts a lot of stock in the draft combine.
2. The team has been preparing for Wembanyama for a long time.

rjv
05-19-2023, 11:02 AM
some more combine news:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2023/5/19/23728433/nba-draft-combine-2023-winners-losers-scrimmages-rumors-testing

rjv
05-19-2023, 11:23 AM
measurements from the combine are in. it turns out that amen's wingspan, of which there was some uncertainty about, is 7'0" (not that i care all that much anymore). rupert's wingspan really stood out and there were no measurements for coulibaly.

Eaglenole2002
05-19-2023, 12:09 PM
I’m curious how winning the lottery and knowing exactly who you’re taking at 1 changes how the Spurs allocate their time and resources for draft prep. I know they’re still meeting with top prospects, but can they really hammer away at late first and second round prospects to potentially increase their odds of hitting with those picks?

Degoat
05-19-2023, 01:26 PM
Kinda like the idea of drafting James Nnaji at 33 if he’s available. Putting that tank next to wemby would be devastating to other teams lol

BackHome
05-19-2023, 01:51 PM
Lots of options for us trade up in the mid to late twenties using our second round picks an cap space, a couple of nice European players we could draft and stash, or just draft guys on our draft boards I like several for us in the second round

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 02:55 PM
Kinda like the idea of drafting James Nnaji at 33 if he’s available. Putting that tank next to wemby would be devastating to other teams lol
i know its such a thin center class, but man his game has next to no polish

Uriel
05-19-2023, 04:25 PM
Lots of options for us trade up in the mid to late twenties using our second round picks an cap space, a couple of nice European players we could draft and stash, or just draft guys on our draft boards I like several for us in the second round
Could you give some examples of this? What teams in the mid-late 20’s would be willing to surrender their first rounder, and what combination of second rounders would they be willing to accept?

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 04:44 PM
Could you give some examples of this? What teams in the mid-late 20’s would be willing to surrender their first rounder, and what combination of second rounders would they be willing to accept?
the nets own the 21st and 22nd picks and are pretty desperate for cap relief. we'd be taking a contract off their hands in exchange for moving up 11 spots, in theory. the spurs notably gave up a first round pick to trade richard jefferson for stephen jackson, not because they loved stephen jackson necessarily, but because his contract expired 1 year earlier than RJ's, so it was a cap relief move

rascal
05-19-2023, 04:53 PM

Utah may be looking to add second round picks for pick 28 so it will be a slight bump up for the Spurs to move from 33 but could be the difference of getting a player the Spurs want.

Extra Stout
05-19-2023, 05:34 PM
the nets own the 21st and 22nd picks and are pretty desperate for cap relief. we'd be taking a contract off their hands in exchange for moving up 11 spots, in theory. the spurs notably gave up a first round pick to trade richard jefferson for stephen jackson, not because they loved stephen jackson necessarily, but because his contract expired 1 year earlier than RJ's, so it was a cap relief moveSI is speculating the Nets want to dump Ben Simmons’ salary to the Spurs for Doug McDermott and a pick swap. That’s another way to get cap relief I guess. The article writer even tried to talk up the idea that Ben Simmons was still capable of playing basketball.

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 05:47 PM
SI is speculating the Nets want to dump Ben Simmons’ salary to the Spurs for Doug McDermott and a pick swap. That’s another way to get cap relief I guess. The article writer even tried to talk up the idea that Ben Simmons was still capable of playing basketball.
the nets would have to offer substantially more for someone to take simmons given that he has 2 years left on his deal. would hamper the spurs ability to make notable additions for 2 offseasons (though this offseason's FA market isnt exactly explosive)

the lakers had to part with a first round pick in the westbrook/russell deal with fairly light protection (top 4). and thats with westbrook still being able to play NBA basketball and having been on an expiring deal. and based on the market, it really seems like the lakers got off easy, because the dumbass wolves were apparently willing to trade russell in exchange for old-ass conley and some second rounders

mcdermott actually will have positive value this year since he's an established role player/specialist, but unlike last season, on an expiring deal

The Truth #6
05-19-2023, 06:39 PM
measurements from the combine are in. it turns out that amen's wingspan, of which there was some uncertainty about, is 7'0" (not that i care all that much anymore). rupert's wingspan really stood out and there were no measurements for coulibaly.

So Dean on Draft was wrong about the wingspan, evidently. 7 feet wingspan for a point guard is incredible.

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 07:00 PM
So Dean on Draft was wrong about the wingspan, evidently. 7 feet wingspan for a point guard is incredible.

Amen is absolutey not a point guard and we need to kill that idea. But his measurements do look good.

The Truth #6
05-19-2023, 07:56 PM
Amen is absolutey not a point guard and we need to kill that idea. But his measurements do look good.

I think almost everyone considers him a lead ball handler and good passer. I think that’s a losing argument. He might not end up a good point guard but doesn’t mean he’s not a point guard.

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 07:59 PM
I think almost everyone considers him a lead ball handler and good passer. I think that’s a losing argument. He might not end up a good point guard but doesn’t mean he’s not a point guard.

I have no idea why people keep pushing him as a point. It's gonna do him a major, major disservice.

lmbebo
05-19-2023, 08:12 PM
No way I take on Simmons now. McDermott holds a lot more value now too with Wemby. No way I do this trade.

tonight...you
05-19-2023, 08:14 PM
You think a team is going to try to make him a 2, or a 3?
I think he might be a disaster at 2.
He might need to be shoehorned into a 1.
Just tossing spitballs.

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 08:17 PM
You think a team is going to try to make him a 2, or a 3?
I think he might be a disaster at 2.
He might need to be shoehorned into a 1.
Just tossing spitballs.

I think he has secondary playmaker abilities. Honestly maybe the positions are so fluid that it doesn't matter, and I think of a PG as needing to have more sophisticated creation ability. Amen will be able to break down his defender and kick the ball around and that is PG-ish.

I don't think he'll be ready as a primary playmaker for a while, though. And his lack of a J will be a mess. You may be right - he will have to have the ball in his hand, although his defender will just sag and PnRs both defenders will just sag. Right now I think of him as more of a wing. He'll need to get stuck in the corner and then perform cuts, where he can be really effective.

JPB
05-19-2023, 08:23 PM
Never overestimate how "desperate" other teams are to do something, or dumb others GMs are that they would do some move we wouldn't at their place, just because it's convenient for us. It's often more wishful thinking than realistic ideas., like Charlotte desperate last year for a big man who would definitely give us 13 & 15 for Poodle... Trades are hard and noboy will accept a trade just to please you, they also want to find some real, valuable assets, or at least feel they do. And truth is we have no ideas what other teams plans really are.

tonight...you
05-19-2023, 08:26 PM
I think he has secondary playmaker abilities. Honestly maybe the positions are so fluid that it doesn't matter, and I think of a PG as needing to have more sophisticated creation ability. Amen will be able to break down his defender and kick the ball around and that is PG-ish.

I don't think he'll be ready as a primary playmaker for a while, though. And his lack of a J will be a mess. You may be right - he will have to have the ball in his hand, although his defender will just sag and PnRs both defenders will just sag. Right now I think of him as more of a wing. He'll need to get stuck in the corner and then perform cuts, where he can be really effective.
He does seem to be a very talented, yet problematic prospect that COULD be something, but that COULD is...

not confidence building right now.

JPB
05-19-2023, 08:32 PM
SI is speculating the Nets want to dump Ben Simmons’ salary to the Spurs for Doug McDermott and a pick swap. That’s another way to get cap relief I guess. The article writer even tried to talk up the idea that Ben Simmons was still capable of playing basketball.

So the Nets would want to screw the spurs? They can keep speculating all they want, why in all Hell, would the spurs do that? Add at least a FRP or never call me back. Spurs can use their cap space in much better ways that adding a ballast to their roster for a freaking pick swap, losing McBuckets at that.

Chinook
05-19-2023, 09:09 PM
I think the Spurs comfortably have the room to take three rookies this season. Obviously Wemby has a spot. The later second will get that fresh new two-way slot. So now it's the high-second that will be competing for a spot. I was gonna make a thread with this same premise, and I might do that later. For now, I'll just group the players on the team into tiers

Essential: Wembanyama

Not willing to move at the moment: Sochan

Would REALLY like to keep: Vassell

Want to keep, but are willing to listen: Johnson {Jones}

Want to keep, and that's good because they don't have value worth moving them: Branham, Wesley

Don't mind keeping for now: McDermott, Graham, Collins [Bates-Diop]

Intriguing but a potential upgrade spot: Bassey (Champagnie) {Mamu}

Would have to win a spot in camp and may not even get an invite: (Barlow) {Langford}

Might make it from a contract quirk ... at least for a bit: Birch

Better not make the team as a player: [Dieng]

So by my count, there are nine players who will have an almost guaranteed spot on the team barring a trade, with two additional players guaranteed a spot if they get new deals. While I think the bottom of the roster has some decent enough filler, I don't think anyone there is so entrenched that a guy draft in the middle of the draft wouldn't have a real chance at keeping his spot. Literally all of those guys other than Barlow has lost a roster battle at least once, almost all of them were draft after 33 in their respective years. They aren't a horrible floor for the roster, but yes, the Spurs should endeavor to pass those guys up with future picks. They have a bunch of good opportunities now. They don't have to go bargain shopping anymore.

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 09:37 PM
I think the Spurs comfortably have the room to take three rookies this season. Obviously Wemby has a spot. The later second will get that fresh new two-way slot. So now it's the high-second that will be competing for a spot. I was gonna make a thread with this same premise, and I might do that later. For now, I'll just group the players on the team into tiers

Want to keep, and that's good because they don't have value worth moving them: Branham, Wesley

Would have to win a spot in camp and may not even get an invite: (Barlow) {Langford}

So by my count, there are nine players who will have an almost guaranteed spot on the team barring a trade, with two additional players guaranteed a spot if they get new deals. While I think the bottom of the roster has some decent enough filler, I don't think anyone there is so entrenched that a guy draft in the middle of the draft wouldn't have a real chance at keeping his spot. Literally all of those guys other than Barlow has lost a roster battle at least once, almost all of them were draft after 33 in their respective years. They aren't a horrible floor for the roster, but yes, the Spurs should endeavor to pass those guys up with future picks. They have a bunch of good opportunities now. They don't have to go bargain shopping anymore.

Helpful thoughts. I both think they could pull three rookies but they can/should be very specific about what they're targeting. As you say, they don't need to go into the bargain bin. There are few slots, they have a lot of draft assets, and suddenly they have their centerpiece. Plus have a gaggle of bargain bin types to try out already.

What I don't want them to do is draft over current guys. It'd be nice to target specific archetypes and roles -- although upper end attempts at those. The one exception is getting a bit more beef.

- a potential defensive PG starter
- shooting
- another big

This draft is somewhat unusual in that there are a few PGs who aren't just good defenders but have other skills. In my recollection this doesn't often happen. If they're defensive prospects they don't have other skills. Unfortunately the draft is short, imo, on bigs who can help immediately. And shooting isn't deep in supply, either.

mo7888
05-19-2023, 09:40 PM

BS is circulating again here huh.... Well, I'm not sure there are to many scenarios that I would entertain taking him, but a pick swap wouldn't get it done. Maybe both their picks this year if they took Doug, Graham, and Birch? Maybe if I squint real hard that could make sense...then again maybe I've had a couple drinks....

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 09:47 PM
BS is circulating again here huh.... Well, I'm not sure there are to many scenarios that I would entertain taking him, but a pick swap wouldn't get it done. Maybe both their picks this year if they took Doug, Graham, and Birch? Maybe if I squint real hard that could make sense...then again maybe I've had a couple drinks....

For the 20 and 21? I would say absolutey not. He's due about 40,000,000 each of the next two years and is an absolutey toxic personality. He never gave an ish about basketball and now he's like a vampire. I don't even know if two draft picks for each 20 mill would do it. And of course youd cut him and never let him anywhere near the team. It wrecks any flexibility and we don't need the draft picks, plus BKN doesn't have good draft picks anymore.

playblair
05-19-2023, 11:16 PM
yes plz..........

playblair
05-19-2023, 11:22 PM
these pgs......:hungry:

http://youtu.be/QclpKjfFaBQ

http://youtu.be/E-tTV3B2wFw

heyheymymy
05-19-2023, 11:39 PM
Those ideas to package up into 21-32 with our treasure trove of draft assets (depending on the deal/within reason) could make a huge difference to get a real keeper. Even just a few spots mean everything if that's our guy and I'm eyeing options there.

Love some of the proposed bundles to move up into the late first but for some reason still hyper focused on Strawther at #33 should SA ultimately keep and pick there.

But Terq Smith falling into range in recent mocks could be quite the steal. But no way with this combine exposure Terq still falls, surely someone will snag him 25-32?

Russ
05-19-2023, 11:43 PM
yes plz..........

T. Smith has Steph Curry range. And can penetrate. And pass.

The spittin image of Dejuante Murray in some ways -- take that however you want.

The Spurs like this type (even trying to shoehorn Blake Wesley last year).

I love this guy. The one negative -- I don't think his "advanced stats" are that great. :lol

td4mvp2k
05-20-2023, 01:51 AM
these pgs......:hungry:
sheppard looked good in that game. im sure he got the spurs attention.

Uriel
05-23-2023, 10:33 AM
NBA executives were well aware of Edey's outlier physical tools, but it was still startling to see the Wooden Award winner measure over 7-3 barefoot, 306 pounds with a 7-10½ wingspan and 9-7½ standing reach. If he elects to stay in the draft, Edey will be one of the tallest and longest player in the NBA -- along with the 7-5 Wembanyama -- while eclipsing the likes of Boban Marjanovic (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4376/boban-marjanovic) and Rudy Gobert (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3032976/rudy-gobert).Edey also conducted what many considered to be the most interesting pro day of any prospect in Chicago, showing better-than-expected mobility, coordination and skill running the floor, finishing around the basket and making jumpers from midrange and beyond the arc. He brought a huge amount of energy and appears to be in outstanding shape. Several NBA executives said they were impressed with the way he presented himself and now view him in a slightly different light after seeing him in that setting. Edey hasn't decided yet whether to keep his name in the draft -- he's looking for assurances he'll be picked in the late first or early second round -- and told reporters in Chicago he'll likely wait until the NCAA deadline of May 31 to make his decision.
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37707731/nba-draft-combine-brandon-miller-interviews-12-teams

CGD
05-23-2023, 07:53 PM

That’s cute. In all seriousness it sounds like with the new CBA there will be a lot of incentive for teams to shed salary. Im definitely holding out for the best deal. My fave right now does involve the Nets though:

SAS: Harris + Patty + 20th pick
BKN: Graham + Berch [+ net 9M in cap relief]

mo7888
05-23-2023, 08:01 PM
That’s cute. In all seriousness it sounds like with the new CBA there will be a lot of incentive for teams to shed salary. Im definitely holding out for the best deal. My fave right now does involve the Nets though:

SAS: Harris + Patty + 20th pick
BKN: Graham + Berch [+ net 9M in cap relief]

I like that...those are definitely the kind of deal that we can take advantage of..

Mr. Body
05-23-2023, 08:08 PM
I can't see Brooklyn dropping one of those picks just to shed salary. Graham isn't worth much.

spurraider21
05-23-2023, 08:11 PM

interesting breakdown and way of looking at the roster. id probably move Collins up to the Keldon tier, and vassell into the sochan tier.

CGD
05-23-2023, 08:14 PM
I can't see Brooklyn dropping one of those picks just to shed salary. Graham isn't worth much.

We should probably get a person more steeped in CBA in here, but apparently it is punitive for teams that continue to stay over the tax going forward. The Nate Duncan podcast was saying the expected a very busy trade off season for this reason.

Mr. Body
05-23-2023, 08:17 PM
We should probably get a person more steeped in CBA in here, but apparently it is punitive for teams that continue to stay over the tax going forward. The Nate Duncan podcast was saying the expected a very busy trade off season for this reason.

Sure, but they're really not in bad shape next year and then the following they have a ton of contracts coming off the books. If they have to shed some salary, there are other ways to do it than give away a good pick for nothing.

CGD
05-23-2023, 08:40 PM
Sure, but they're really not in bad shape next year and then the following they have a ton of contracts coming off the books. If they have to shed some salary, there are other ways to do it than give away a good pick for nothing.

It’s more complicated than that. They were a luxury tax team last year, and are projected to be over the cap this year too BEFORE making decisions on Cam Johnson and Seth Curry. That relief in my proposal may well be want allows them to keep Johnson for example.

Mr. Body
05-23-2023, 08:42 PM
I've posted elsewhere that Brooklyn doesn't have any picks next year, in 2024. The Charlotte and Toronto picks are awkward to trade. The first may not convey, the second may be too valuable.

Marks also really does well drafting value, so may really like those 21 and 22 picks. You can get good talent on phenomenal salary scales.

But there might be something there.

Mr. Body
05-23-2023, 08:43 PM
It’s more complicated than that. They were a luxury tax team last year, and are projected to be over the cap this year too BEFORE making decisions on Cam Johnson and Seth Curry. That relief in my proposal may well be want allows them to keep Johnson for example.

I don't see them trading a FRP just for some cap relief.

mo7888
05-23-2023, 09:05 PM
I don't see them trading a FRP just for some cap relief.

I there's a decent chance that they will since they have two picks in the same range. That fact will make it an easier sell to their fanbase.

Mr. Body
05-23-2023, 09:20 PM
I there's a decent chance that they will since they have two picks in the same range. That fact will make it an easier sell to their fanbase.

I mean, no? You guys have a weird fantasy going here. They're likely to move up with them than anything.

They have wings that will be coveted that they'll move in O'Neal and Finney-Smith.

Mr. Body
05-23-2023, 09:22 PM
Oh, look, they also have an eighteen million dollar trade exception from the Durant trade. They're fine all around.

Chinook
05-23-2023, 09:54 PM
I do think folks are way overrating the value the Spurs can offer just for taking contracts. I think the Nets might take advantage of the irrational market for Bridges and sucker Portland out of the third pick and likely save a decent amount of money without simply dumping contracts. They need to get under the second apron by next summer to avoid freezing their pick. They'll accomplish that easily. They might just not want the pick, of course, and maybe SA can take advantage of that by offering a future first or 33 plus some other minor assets. But saving money right now isn't something I think they care to do. Even if they want to get rid of Simmons, they can hold on for one more year and dump with with a lower first rather than paying a bunch now.

I hope we don't have another Westbrook situation where folks convince themselves the Spurs are going to be able to slide in and get really good value only to see them not make a deal at all.

mo7888
05-23-2023, 10:29 PM
I mean, no? You guys have a weird fantasy going here. They're likely to move up with them than anything.

They have wings that will be coveted that they'll move in O'Neal and Finney-Smith.

How do you get from me saying there's a 'decent chance" to that being a weird fantasy? It's not nearly as cut and dried as you are making it seem. There are alot of things in play for alot teams right now with this new CBA, roster construction/constraints, and balancing that with selling it all to your fanbase. A team like Brooklyn, with a trade exception they aren't likely to use, who's over the cap in multiple years, and with multiple picks late in the first rd where they aren't nearly as valuable is going to entertain doing something with one of those picks. Are we going to offer the best package to give them relief? I have no idea, but there's a decent chance they move one of them to someone and that there's cap relief involved with that.

Mr. Body
05-23-2023, 10:39 PM
How do you get from me saying there's a 'decent chance" to that being a weird fantasy? It's not nearly as cut and dried as you are making it seem. There are alot of things in play for alot teams right now with this new CBA, roster construction/constraints, and balancing that with selling it all to your fanbase. A team like Brooklyn, with a trade exception they aren't likely to use, who's over the cap in multiple years, and with multiple picks late in the first rd where they aren't nearly as valuable is going to entertain doing something with one of those picks. Are we going to offer the best package to give them relief? I have no idea, but there's a decent chance they move one of them to someone and that there's cap relief involved with that.

My brother in Christ, the Nets are not going to sell you a pick to cut salary.

Ariel
05-23-2023, 10:47 PM
I hope we don't have another Westbrook situation where folks convince themselves the Spurs are going to be able to slide in and get really good value only to see them not make a deal at all.
Utah receives: Westbrook (46.3M), Toscano-Anderson (2.1M), Damian Jones (2,3M). Total received: 50.7M (the 2 former are expiring, only Jones has 1 more year at a similar figure)
Utah sends: Conley (22.7M), Beasley (15.6M), Vanderbilt (4.4M), Alexander-Walker (5M). Total sent: 47.7
So basically Utah took on an extra 3M for a few months, Westbrook was used as a salary filler, not a salary dump for 2 years 80M like Ben Simmons would have to be. Totally different scenarios. Brooklyn can choose to keep Simmons and Tsai can choose to pay as much luxury tax as he wants, but if they want to move that contract, it's going to take some MASSIVE incentive.

Chinook
05-23-2023, 10:54 PM
Utah receives: Westbrook (46.3M), Toscano-Anderson (2.1M), Damian Jones (2,3M). Total received: 50.7M (the 2 former are expiring, only Jones has 1 more year at a similar figure)
Utah sends: Conley (22.7M), Beasley (15.6M), Vanderbilt (4.4M), Alexander-Walker (5M). Total sent: 47.7
So basically Utah took on an extra 3M for a few months, Westbrook was used as a salary filler, not a salary dump for 2 years 80M like Ben Simmons would have to be. Totally different scenarios. Brooklyn can choose to keep Simmons and Tsai can choose to pay as much luxury tax as he wants, but if they want to move that contract, it's going to take some MASSIVE incentive.

I don't know if people are worried about which contract was worse. The conversation as far as I see it is with folks trying to insist that Brooklyn, Dallas or whomever is going to give up picks because they want to get rid of guys badly enough to give the Spurs all this leverage. The Nets don't really have much of a need to do that. The Spurs have way more competition for cap space this year, and Nets have so many options to save money while getting value. The Westbrook saga showed why STers thinking they had the leverage situation figured out didn't, and a lot of those posters are making the same arguments now. I hope they make those arguments with more caution this time around.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-24-2023, 03:51 AM
Not sure the Spurs would want a 2nd rookie on the roster this season, but I've been very impressed with Brandin Podziemski. Left handed, such a pure shot that doesn't even touch the rims, decent secondary ballhandler and passer, tough, has a nice floater and can even score inside, although that's probably not translating to the NBA. His shot and movement alone should make him a surefire NBA player, though. He's also a better athlete than he appears at first, judging by some of the combine measures.

bluebellmaniac
05-24-2023, 07:42 AM
Not sure the Spurs would want a 2nd rookie on the roster this season, but I've been very impressed with Brandin Podziemski. Left handed, such a pure shot that doesn't even touch the rims, decent secondary ballhandler and passer, tough, has a nice floater and can even score inside, although that's probably not translating to the NBA. His shot and movement alone should make him a surefire NBA player, though. He's also a better athlete than he appears at first, judging by some of the combine measures.

Brandon's floor would be Michael Jordan but with a much higher ceiling...

K...
05-24-2023, 11:57 AM
Man if the spurs want a player they should spend assets to get it.prior to wemby getting future draft assets was fine, but that secret plan the spurs were working on in the event they drafted wemby, surely has trade demands.

Other teams know about wemby time and arent going give us a deal easily. They know about our pick haul. We should give out two SRP just for teams picking up the phone

exstatic
05-24-2023, 12:10 PM
Man if the spurs want a player they should spend assets to get it.prior to wemby getting future draft assets was fine, but that secret plan the spurs were working on in the event they drafted wemby, surely has trade demands.

Other teams know about wemby time and arent going give us a deal easily. They know about our pick haul. We should give out two SRP just for teams picking up the phone

Glad you're not running our front office.

What happens if Wemby's worst case comes true and he breaks down because he can't handle the duration of the NBA season and the physicality? It might be nice to hold on to those ATL picks, just in case. That would be a second window to drafting a potential superstar like Cam Boozer.

Ariel
05-25-2023, 05:16 PM
I don't know if people are worried about which contract was worse. The conversation as far as I see it is with folks trying to insist that Brooklyn, Dallas or whomever is going to give up picks because they want to get rid of guys badly enough to give the Spurs all this leverage. The Nets don't really have much of a need to do that. The Spurs have way more competition for cap space this year, and Nets have so many options to save money while getting value. The Westbrook saga showed why STers thinking they had the leverage situation figured out didn't, and a lot of those posters are making the same arguments now. I hope they make those arguments with more caution this time around.
I might agree that Brooklyn isn't URGED to move Simmons, but sure as hell could try to do so eventually, since he's their only negative contract on the books beyond '23-'24, with Bridges and Finney Smith making a combined 40M for the next 2 seasons. Now even if you still have to add Cam Johnson, Nic Claxton, and Dinwiddie and 'Royce ONeal's new deals, they could very well add a max player or more if they dump Simmons, like Jaylen Brown, Sabonis, Siakam, OG Anunoby, Dejounte, etc. If they don't think they can land any of those, then yes, let his contract run out and make a splash in '25. But it's definitely not an unreasonable proposal.

RC_Drunkford
05-26-2023, 06:08 AM
I seen GG Jackson fall into the early 2nd round in some mocks cause he worked out while being sick and missed a lot of shots. GG for a 2nd rounder would be a damn steal

Mr. Body
05-26-2023, 06:35 AM
I seen GG Jackson fall into the early 2nd round in some mocks cause he worked out while being sick and missed a lot of shots. GG for a 2nd rounder would be a damn steal

It's very unlikely he goes beyond the late first. I think he'll go early 20s at latest.

Which could be a mistake. Someone posted that there has never been a player who has succeeded even as a role-player who posted a BPM <1 the year they came into the draft. This year those players are Emoni Bates, Nick Smith Jr., Jalen Hood-Schifino, and GG Jackson.

I think NSJ is possibly a special case. I think JHS came out a year too early. Emoni Bates just sucks. And GG Jackson is really actually very poor.

But I agree - if he's there with a SRP why not.

exstatic
05-26-2023, 06:58 AM
Bates is awful. 7’4” 300# Zach Edey had a faster lane agility time. :rollin

BackHome
05-26-2023, 02:13 PM
GG Jackson is not going to fall to the second round. Lol

Mr. Body
05-26-2023, 02:14 PM
GG Jackson is not going to fall to the second round. Lol

He probably should.

BackHome
05-26-2023, 07:55 PM
In the long run probably but he is the youngest player in this draft so someone will bite on his potential just like someone will draft a guard who can’t shoot the ball in the top of lottery

The Truth #6
05-26-2023, 08:24 PM
SRP for me should probably be a low risk role player. Four year college player that knows how to play. We’re going to have plenty of 19 year olds coming through with FRPs. Not everyone needs to be a high risk swing, especially not with VW on board.

BackHome
05-26-2023, 08:42 PM
To a certain point but if someone has real potential and talent I am cool with drafting him as in this case I am really starting to like Tristan he is young but has a high floor. His frame looks like it could easily add 10 to 15pds of muscle if the Spurs thinks his game would work with Wemb then draft and stash him for a year.

Dejounte
05-28-2023, 02:34 PM
I fucking love Jaime Jaquez Jr’s game. It’s a bit duplicative of Branham and Vassell’s skills, but I can’t resist that mid range fadeaway. So appealing to the eyes. I’m cautious because it’s the same reason I fell in love with EJ Liddell from last year, and the team didn’t take him. At the same time, Jaime is a tad different as he is more of a wing than EJ (I fantasized EJ being a wing in the big leagues, but it’s apparent he’s not), so maybe Jaime has more of a chance.

Dejounte
05-28-2023, 02:42 PM
Plus, second round draft picks rarely pan out anyway so if they go for a likely fan favorite (due to his Mexican heritage) then it’ll probably boost ticket sales even more tbh. The expansion of their reach in Texas is given more meaning with a guy like Jaime.

playblair
05-28-2023, 02:50 PM
my source says spurs r targeting these players for 2nd round..... timvp can confirm.......

http://youtu.be/h84gT0t_mfE

http://youtu.be/VPgxdqyl4WU

http://youtu.be/FH9lobb_1As

Mr. Body
05-28-2023, 03:10 PM
A player like Jaquez, smart upperclassmen, would be a good pick up. I think like last year they'll get plucked in the late first round, like Laravia, Roddy, and Braun.

If the team fails to get a second first round pick it's probably the way to go.

stnick2261
05-28-2023, 03:16 PM
My first choice would be to package 2RPs to move our 1sts further up (or into the 1st this year)... but my second choice this year would be to find diamonds in the rough that we can draft and stash that won't take up roster spots unless they end up being really good in the future.

I would usually say to draft an upper classman who could help immediately, but we are going to end up having too many players.

Ariel
05-28-2023, 03:47 PM
A player like Jaquez, smart upperclassmen, would be a good pick up. I think like last year they'll get plucked in the late first round, like Laravia, Roddy, and Braun.

If the team fails to get a second first round pick it's probably the way to go.
I've been pimping jaquez for months, but honestly the more I think about it, the less likely it seems he'll be there at #33... he just seems like the perfect Memphis or Indiana guy (Indiana has 3 picks in the the 25-33 range: 26, 29 and 32), so I'm giving up hope.

Uriel
05-28-2023, 05:20 PM
I think the most likely scenario is for us to draft a first-round talent who fell to the second round at #33 and draft-and-stash at #44. The second most likely scenario is to convert one of this year’s second rounders to a future second rounder.

Twisted_Dawg
05-28-2023, 07:05 PM
I just hope we don't pull a broke dick move and sell that #33 pick. That would reek of financial deperation.

Ariel
05-28-2023, 10:15 PM
I just hope we don't pull a broke dick move and sell that #33 pick. That would reek of financial deperation.
Only way we don't take someone with #33 is if we move up IMO. It's very likely there will be a few interesting players there, at least.

Mr. Body
05-29-2023, 09:32 PM
Backing away from a belief we can get a second first rounder... My fear is the 20-30 range will pick off the guys I like for the 33.

I'm not too interested in a project. We have a lot of those. I want an upperclassman who can contribute, more like a wily college vet type. So I hope the late first gets filled up with the Maxwell Lewis types.

Jacquez - he seems good, but I don't see the role, doesn't seem a long-term fit
Sasser - could use him in the next couple years until a a long-term point can be landed, has a good set of skills if they translate
Jackson-Davis - limited in role, but a smart athletic player who can erase shots, rebound, and facilitate, a smart player
Podziemski - my latest crush, statistically better than the previous Santa Clara dude although he doesn't project athletically

Of these, I feel like Jacquez and Sasser might still be there. I feel like the other two will be picked off.

Degoat
05-29-2023, 09:39 PM
Brandin Podz, Ben Sheppard, and Colby Jones are the guys I like at 33

heyheymymy
05-30-2023, 10:18 AM
Any chance SA can convince the TOR #44 pick to take the Spurs third Two-Way slot that is open? Assuming Barlow and Champagnie remain in the other two slots?

And if so, who might the willing candidates be? Is that a range where players might no longer hold out to make a roster proper and be agreeable to stash rights or Two-way status?

scottspurs
05-30-2023, 10:44 AM
Unless you know something about the new CBA that I don’t know you are only allowed two 2-way contracts

heyheymymy
05-30-2023, 11:05 AM
Unless you know something about the new CBA that I don’t know you are only allowed two 2-way contracts

Yes the new CBA recently has expanded a third Two-Way slot per Woj.

There is an increase in two-way contract slots, jumping from two to three per team. Two-way contracts were created in the 2017 collective bargaining agreement as a vehicle for teams to develop younger players.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36025332/nba-nbpa-agree-new-7-year-collective-bargaining-agreement

The Truth #6
05-30-2023, 11:46 AM
Terrence Shannon Jr, anyone? 6’6” shooter. I’m getting up to speed on him.

Update: ridiculously athletic. Streaky deep shooter. Some decent moves. Intrigued…

ace3g
05-30-2023, 09:34 PM
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1663620861662822401

Russ
05-30-2023, 10:00 PM
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1663620861662822401

Strawther's a big pure outside shooter, a little bit like Bobi Klintman. Klintman may have a little higher ceiling -- he's a little younger (20.2 vs. 21.1), a little taller (6'10" vs. 6'7") and a little more international :lol (although Strawther has a little quicker release).

Russ
05-30-2023, 10:26 PM
my source says spurs r targeting these players for 2nd round..... timvp can confirm.......

http://youtu.be/h84gT0t_mfE

http://youtu.be/VPgxdqyl4WU

http://youtu.be/FH9lobb_1As

Wilson (22.6) and Johnson (23.0) are pretty old by current draft standards and in particular recent Spurs standards. They both look kinda pedestrian but Wilson does have the Kansas connection going for him. Gortman is a bit younger (20.1) and looks a little better, but is untested by any level of competition.

BatManu20
05-30-2023, 10:42 PM
Jalen Wilson was a good college player but I don’t see him being anything more than an end-of-the-bench guy in the pros. He’s an underwhelming athlete with a short wingspan and he’s a below-average 3-point shooter (although he does have good form on his shot so he could improve that % pretty easily with repetition). He’s also not a playmaker. Solid defender but nothing special. I don’t see him getting drafted before pick 40-ish imo. I could the Spurs having some interest just because he’s a high-character kid who plays hard and plays the right way, and obv the fact that he went to Kansas. Better prospects will be available at 33 though imo.

Keyontae Johnson is a more intriguing prospect as he’s a better athlete and a better 3-point shooter already. I enjoyed watching him in the tournament. I expect him to go early-mid second so he falls in that range. His age (23) doesn’t bother me at all as it likes up well with our current roster’s timeline.

Mr. Body
05-30-2023, 10:42 PM
I really don't know what they're going to do with that 33. It's too valuable to sell, too valuable to flip for a future 2nd round pick.

But the team has so many guys to develop already. There are pretty good guys likely available, but none of them scream out "I want this guy to take time over [players at his position]" that we have already.

Extra Stout
05-30-2023, 10:52 PM
I really don't know what they're going to do with that 33. It's too valuable to sell, too valuable to flip for a future 2nd round pick.

But the team has so many guys to develop already. There are pretty good guys likely available, but none of them scream out "I want this guy to take time over [players at his position]" that we have already.
That problem doesn’t get any easier with the upcoming avalanche of picks over the next two years. Something has to give. Players have to be discarded, picks have to be consolidated, something.

spurraider21
05-30-2023, 11:00 PM
That problem doesn’t get any easier with the upcoming avalanche of picks over the next two years. Something has to give. Players have to be discarded, picks have to be consolidated, something.
a lot will give. the spurs basically have keldon and last year's first rounders under contract beyond 24-25

other than vassell and maybe zollins, nobody else on the roster right now can realistically be seen at this point as a piece going forward. mcdermott? graham? tre? mamu? langford? KBD?

we will have room to accommodate those FRPs. bigger concern is being able to make good use of all the second rounders. using them to trade up and consolidate picks is easier said than done imo

BatManu20
05-30-2023, 11:14 PM
A name to keep an eye on that I haven’t really seen mentioned in this thread is Amari Bailey. He’s a crafty, lefty combo-guard out of UCLA who just turned 19 a couple months ago so he has some upside to him. 6’4 192 lbs. with a 6’7 wingspan. His strengths are his slashing ability and his on-ball defense. Shot 39% from 3 last year so he shows promise there. Wasn’t asked to score a lot playing on that talented UCLA team so only averaged 11 PPG, but I think he’ll improve in that department with more touches and seasoning. Needs to clean up his TO’s too, but he’s a kid who I think the Spurs could be interested in as a developmental Guard prospect.

wXUZoquzKkg

Mr. Body
05-30-2023, 11:34 PM
I can only hope we draft Kobe Bufkin and Kobe Brown.

BatManu20
05-30-2023, 11:35 PM
The more I watch him, the more I like him tbh. One of my sleeper picks at 33. He’s a better playmaker than the stats show cause UCLA had a 5th year Senior starting at PG in Tyger Campbell so Bailey had to play off-ball more than he would’ve liked. But he shows some true PG skills in some of these highlights. I bet he’s on the Spurs radar tbh.

exstatic
05-31-2023, 04:18 AM

Sell the second rounders. All of them. We have NINETEEN that fall between this draft and 2029. The THIRTEEN FRPs that fall in that same period are going to be tough enough to develop, evaluate, and if need be, jettison.

RC_Drunkford
05-31-2023, 06:25 AM
The more I watch him, the more I like him tbh. One of my sleeper picks at 33. He’s a better playmaker than the stats show cause UCLA had a 5th year Senior starting at PG in Tyger Campbell so Bailey had to play off-ball more than he would’ve liked. But he shows some true PG skills in some of these highlights. I bet he’s on the Spurs radar tbh.

definitely worth to take a swing at him with a 2nd rounder

kobyz
05-31-2023, 10:26 AM

Very Derrick White'ish

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-31-2023, 10:36 AM
I like Bailey a lot. Think he'll go back to school if he doesn't get a promise in the first round, though.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 10:38 AM
I like Bailey a lot. Think he'll go back to school if he doesn't get a promise in the first round, though.

I think the pull-out deadline is midnight today.

Mugen
05-31-2023, 10:50 AM
I like Bufkin as the target for the second 1st rounder tbh. I think he's shooting up draft boards though, not sure if he can be had in the teens anymore.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 10:57 AM
I like Bufkin as the target for the second 1st rounder tbh. I think he's shooting up draft boards though, not sure if he can be had in the teens anymore.

Long been a fan, but the secret is out. He, Lively, and Gradey may be pushing top 10. Maybe not for Lively and Bufkin, but they are likely lottery picks.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-31-2023, 04:30 PM
i know its such a thin center class, but man his game has next to no polish

Yeah, it's weird that a league so bent on 3-point shooting would have this guy projected as a potential lottery pick. Can't shoot anything from outside of about 6 feet. Yeah, as a stash pick in the second round he'd be worth it, but I can't see a team burning their first round pick on him.

R. DeMurre
05-31-2023, 04:57 PM
Interesting to compare Podziemski's combine testing numbers to Anthony Black's-- they're nearly identical but Black is considered "athletic," while athleticism is being used over and over as Podz's one glaring weakness. I like both guys, but I wonder if the differences between them aren't being exaggerated by biased eye tests.

Lane Agility
Podz: 11.16
Black: 11.04

Shuttle Run
Podz: 3.20
Black: NA

Three Quarter Sprint
Podz: 3.21
Black: 3.35

Standing Vertical
Podz: 31.5
Black: 32.0

Max Vertical
Podz: 39
Black: 39.0

It's the same with Kobe Bufkin. He's scouted as an "athlete," but Podz beat his times in every measureable test at the combine.

rascal
05-31-2023, 05:03 PM
Interesting to compare Podziemski's combine testing numbers to Anthony Black's-- they're nearly identical but Black is considered "athletic," while athleticism is being used over and over as Podz's one glaring weakness. I like both guys, but I wonder if the differences between them aren't being exaggerated by biased eye tests.

Lane Agility
Podz: 11.16
Black: 11.04

Shuttle Run
Podz: 3.20
Black: NA

Three Quarter Sprint
Podz: 3.21
Black: 3.35

Standing Vertical
Podz: 31.5
Black: 32.0

Max Vertical
Podz: 39
Black: 39.0

Black isn't as athletic as you think.

R. DeMurre
05-31-2023, 05:10 PM
Black isn't as athletic as you think.

I'm not saying he is-- just pointing out that the "athletically challenged" tag is regularly given to Podz, but rarely to Black or Bufkin. Saying Podz has great basketball skills, but lacks athleticism seems like a meme now.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility

rascal
05-31-2023, 05:21 PM
I'm not saying he is-- just pointing out that the "athletically challenged" tag is regularly given to Podz, but rarely to Black or Bufkin. Saying Podz has great basketball skills, but lacks athleticism seems like a meme now.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility

It's how they look on the court.

Olympic athletes could have impressive jumping and sprint numbers but look very unathletic on the court.

R. DeMurre
05-31-2023, 05:24 PM
It's how they look on the court.

Oympic athletes could have impressive jumping and sprint numbers but look very unathletic on the court.

but I wonder if the differences between them aren't being exaggerated by biased eye tests.

Right-- that's exactly what I'm saying.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 05:29 PM
Combine scores are pointless. Do you know how far Stephen Curry's three quarters sprint was? 3.28.

Does that make Podz a better athlete than him?

Do we think the Celtics lost to the Heart because of land agility times?

mo7888
05-31-2023, 05:40 PM
Combine scores are pointless. Do you know how far Stephen Curry's three quarters sprint was? 3.28.

Does that make Podz a better athlete than him?

Do we think the Celtics lost to the Heart because of land agility times?

Does anybody look at Steph and scream...athlete? I think we look at him and say...there's a basketball player that's highly skilled...

I also don't think they're pointless, but they aren't the 'be all end all' either.... there's just one piece of information that goes in the mix...

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 05:58 PM
Does anybody look at Steph and scream...athlete? I think we look at him and say...there's a basketball player that's highly skilled...

I also don't think they're pointless, but they aren't the 'be all end all' either.... there's just one piece of information that goes in the mix...

Curry is a good athlete. He's quick.

But the point is none of these numbers matter. No one brings them up after drafts. If there's an outlet, that's one thing, otherwise they become excuses for GMs to convince themselves when choices aren't clear.

In the end, the game is called basketball. What matters most is if you know how to play it and how you can improve.

A lot if athletes sitting on their asses during the playoffs because they can't contribute.

R. DeMurre
05-31-2023, 06:15 PM
Curry is a good athlete. He's quick.

But the point is none of these numbers matter. No one brings them up after drafts. If there's an outlet, that's one thing, otherwise they become excuses for GMs to convince themselves when choices aren't clear.

In the end, the game is called basketball. What matters most is if you know how to play it and how you can improve.

A lot if athletes sitting on their asses during the playoffs because they can't contribute.

Right, but that's precisely my point. Podz is seen as "knowing how to play" and producing on the court with his BB IQ.

Uriel
05-31-2023, 06:35 PM
From the latest ESPN mock:

33. San Antonio Spurs (https://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs)
Gregory Jackson II (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/5105550/gregory-jackson-ii) | South Carolina | PF | Age: 18.4

44. San Antonio Spurs (https://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) (via Toronto)
Jalen Wilson (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4431714/jalen-wilson) | Kansas | SF/PF | Age: 22.5
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37757403/2023-nba-mock-draft-post-combine-pro-day-impacts-draft-class

Uriel
05-31-2023, 06:38 PM
FWIW, I’m completely on board with drafting a PF at #33, as backup 4 is sneakily one of the team’s biggest needs right now.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 06:52 PM
Right, but that's precisely my point. Podz is seen as "knowing how to play" and producing on the court with his BB IQ.

I think they're both very smart players. Podz has been a bit worse as a defender, but not bad. I agree that players get pigeonholed due to outward characteristics.

Ultimately the relatively small gradations in lane scores don't matter if a player makes reactions or sees what's happening before the faster guy. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't use it to any advantage. It doesn't matter if you're a bit slower if you're already where the ball is. I call it the Jared Dudley rule. You might lose a couple of possessions because some dude is absurdly quick, but then you've won twenty others because you're absurdly smart.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-31-2023, 07:37 PM
Can't figure out where this guy is going to go, but he stood out at the combine. That's usually something the Spurs pay a lot of attention to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUr6hBbBM-w

Uriel
05-31-2023, 08:04 PM
Just watched some highlights of GG Jackson (since he’s now slated to go to San Antonio at #33 in ESPN’s latest mock), and to me, he looked like a homeless man’s Kevin Durant :wow

CGD
05-31-2023, 08:22 PM
Just watched some highlights of GG Jackson (since he’s now slated to go to San Antonio at #33 in ESPN’s latest mock), and to me, he looked like a homeless man’s Kevin Durant :wow

Feel like someone the Blazers would take in the late first.

Mr. Body
05-31-2023, 08:48 PM

Absolutely atrocious effort on defense, lazy, doesn't chase back on turnovers (sound familiar?), tunnel vision, doesn't involve teammates, reportedly bad attitude and immature.

ace3g
05-31-2023, 09:39 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1664070345245048834

heyheymymy
06-01-2023, 05:10 AM
ESPN Latest Mock - non paywall link:

https://archive.ph/6V6G8

You can put any paywall article into the link below and hit enter and it will fully remove the paywall quick easy free:

https://archive.ph

DesignatedT
06-01-2023, 01:25 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1664104231173799936?s=20

Would be one of my picks in the 2nd round. Smart player who I think will turn out to be a solid pro.

Mr. Body
06-01-2023, 01:42 PM
Walsh needs to improve shooting, especially, but he's a hard-nosed guy who just makes plays. I think he's underrated, but will need development.

HankChinaski
06-01-2023, 02:58 PM
I like Amari Bailey if he is on the board at 33.
A lefty with a good euro step. Good defender. Needs to learn to finish more with his right but his mid range game is solid.

Mr. Body
06-03-2023, 04:24 PM
I like Amari Bailey if he is on the board at 33.
A lefty with a good euro step. Good defender. Needs to learn to finish more with his right but his mid range game is solid.

Many drafts have him in the 40s still and I think that's great value. He's very good defensively, hits a good percentage from range, if he doesn't even take two a game, needs to improve on some offensive skills.

Drom John
06-05-2023, 01:44 PM
sportskeeda: NBA Mock Draft projections June 2023: Top 50 expected picks after latest withdrawals
Adam Taylor, Modified Jun 05, 2023 14:36 GMT

#33 San Antonio Spurs - GG Jackson
#44 San Antonio Spurs - Mouhamed Gueye

Drom John
06-05-2023, 01:47 PM
Bleacher Report: Latest Mock Draft with NBA Draft less than 1 month away
Jonathan Wasserman, June 5, 2023 12:28 PM

33. San Antonio Spurs: Rayan Rupert (New Zealand Breakers, SG/SF, 18 years old)

Rupert will draw first-round looks just based off the appeal to long wings (7’2″ wingspan) with shot-making potential. Limited production in the NBL has also led to low confidence levels in scouts.

44. San Antonio Spurs: Sidy Cissoko (Overtime Elite, SG/SF, 19 years old)

Missing a signature skill hurts Cissoko, but his combination of secondary playmaking, capable shot-making and defensive tools should create enough versatility for Round 2.

Drom John
06-05-2023, 01:53 PM
FanNation: 2023 NBA Mock Draft: Projected Picks Following the Withdrawal Deadline
Matt Babcock, Jun 2, 2023 8:00 AM EDT

33 Spurs Olivier Maxenee Prosper, Forward | Marquette | 6-foot-8 | 230-pounds | Draft Age: 20.9

44 Spurs Kobe Brown, Forward | Missouri | 6-foot-8 | 250-pounds | Draft Age: 23.5

Drom John
06-05-2023, 01:56 PM
Last Word On Sports: Rex Foster’s NBA Mock Draft 4.0
Rex Foster, June 5, 2023

33. San Antonio Spurs

Marcus Sasser | 6-1 Guard | 22 years old | Houston

44. San Antonio Spurs

Seth Lundy | 6-6 Wing | 23 years old | Penn State

heyheymymy
06-05-2023, 02:20 PM
Wow Rupert falling to 33 is a pipe dream but would be great.

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 02:25 PM
Wow Rupert falling to 33 is a pipe dream but would be great.

Tankathon lists his only two plus qualities as 'draft age' and 'wingspan.' I don't think he's going to go in the first round.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/rayan-rupert

Degoat
06-05-2023, 02:26 PM
Tankathon lists his only two plus qualities as 'draft age' and 'wingspan.' I don't think he's going to go in the first round.

I could see him falling to #33, I like him a lot but this draft is deep in wings

heyheymymy
06-05-2023, 02:52 PM
Rupert surviving the 20s could be possible I suppose since there are so many duplicate picks for teams or second or third picks for the same teams in that range.

If it was a more diverse selection group 20-30 Rupert probably goes. But you have BKN and IND picking twice, and second or third picks for POR, UTH, and CHA in that range. So smaller selection pool and if they didn't want Rupert it pushes him down. And who among those even needs a wing that needs time? And if they did they probably got a more talented one with an earlier pick then.

Maybe LAC wants to shore up injury prone personnel and takes Rupert at 30?

Yes good call, there is a unique layout of the late first that could be just the set of circumstances necessary for Rupert to drop. I think he would be a heist at 33 and someone the Spurs could mould as they do best.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-05-2023, 02:58 PM
Rupert surviving the 20s could be possible I suppose since there are so many duplicate picks for teams or second or third picks for the same teams in that range.

If it was a more diverse selection group 20-30 Rupert probably goes. But you have BKN and IND picking twice, and second or third picks for POR, UTH, and CHA in that range. So smaller selection pool and if they didn't want Rupert it pushes him down. And who among those even needs a wing that needs time? And if they did they probably got a more talented one with an earlier pick then.

Maybe LAC wants to shore up injury prone personnel and takes Rupert at 30?

Yes good call, there is a unique layout of the late first that could be just the set of circumstances necessary for Rupert to drop. I think he would be a heist at 33 and someone the Spurs could mould as they do best.

Assuming no trades but that many teams having multiple picks in that range is encouraging from a trading into that area perspective.

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 02:59 PM
Coulibaly basically ate Rayan Rupert's lunch and dinner and then next morning's breakfast.

And yeah, def agree that there's a shit ton of guards in this draft already. And then the landscape in the 20s is fairly odd. You have some teams whose draft profiles are pretty clear, like Memphis and Clippers, and then some teams with multiple picks. If those multi-pick teams want to trade off, the acquirers probably aren't doing it to go long for Rupert.

heyheymymy
06-05-2023, 03:30 PM
Or maybe the duplicate picks from the same team in 20-30 encourages a swing pick from one on Rupert where normally with only one shot, you'd pick something more tangible instead?

Agreed this is providing those teams with multiples don't offload outbound which seems more realistic. Can't see for example CHA loading up 5 selections and they have three early seconds too so something's gotta give. IND has 32 so it's three picks in a row late first to early second for them.

Also agreed that Spurs having 33 and the unique duplicate landscape of 20-30 seems optimal for a trade up into scenario for SA if someone they like is falling late. It's like 5 spots beyond realistic so a long shot, but if Bilal or say Bufkin is still on board at 22 and BKN already got their 21 I'm on that phone with a starting offer of 33 + 44 + future 2RP assortment to see if they bite. Counteroffer up with maybe the CHA 2024 FRP? I mean prob not hard to outbid that esp if there's someone still avail worth gunning for but willing to juice up the offer from there esp if it's Bilal inexplicably still around in the 20s.

heyheymymy
06-05-2023, 03:33 PM
Tough to see for ex BKN in a situation where they don't want 22 but DO want 33 + 44 and future seconds. Might have to absorb salary to get something done. But still agree that the mix is right 20-30 for some teams to be attentively listening to their phonecalls at least.

mo7888
06-05-2023, 03:38 PM
Rex Foster, June 5, 2023

Any of those selections at 33 look very good to me..

spurraider21
06-05-2023, 04:06 PM

cam whitmores only plus qualities there are age, 2pt%, and steals

hood-schafino has 0 :lol

playblair
06-06-2023, 01:35 AM
Rex Foster, June 5, 2023

lundy will have same impact as jalen brunson.........games r similar......