PDA

View Full Version : Should Spurs make a run at Scoot?

Pages : [1] 2

couchman
05-17-2023, 07:01 PM
Scoot is likely falling to the 3rd spot held by Portland, but the blazers want immediate help for Dame, so they will be shopping that pick.
What is the price on that pick?
Can we turn a young player like Keldon and some of our future FRPs (maybe Chicago and Charlotte picks) into Scoot?
Perhaps a 3rd team would need to be involved.

BacktoBasics
05-17-2023, 07:09 PM
Giving up picks is fine by me but the best part of the last couple years has been our ability to build a ready made team that just needed it’s number 1. Keldon and Vassell have shown both to be cultural and chemistry fits. There is no reason to move either of our two highly productive players that are young and have put in significant time in our system.

We’d be smart to keep things intact unless it’s for a proven and significant upgrade. IE Celtics Brown…

Mnky
05-17-2023, 07:15 PM
I thought about this, but the spurs would likely have to be the one providing picks in a 3 team trade. Outside of McDermott, they don't really have championship role player contributors.

If that's the case, Thunder might be able to offer the better now deal in that regards. They have a couple main ball handlers already so one would have to go so not sure it fits but maybe they love him and think he's a missing piece.

Spurs definitely have the assets to get involved , but not the players the blazers will be looking for.

K...
05-17-2023, 07:17 PM
i wouldn't trade keldon to a div rival that's bad juju. I don't know what the spurs feel about scoot, vis a vis future young vets who might be available to a team looking to blow up, or free agents.

Mnky
05-17-2023, 07:19 PM
Oh and I do think it would be worth the move. Wemby will not play a full season. He will sit a lot and conveniently we have a good set of young bigs who can fill that big man void. It'd be nice go have another young star to be in there when he can't.

Of course the odds aren't high but Scoot and wemby in the same draft would be amazing. Not sure where scoot would be on that process as he may want to be that no.1 that wemby will be on the team.

offset formation
05-17-2023, 07:21 PM
No. Juice ain't worth the squeeze it'd take to get him.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 07:22 PM
Wemby and Scoot would be nasty, but I doubt we can get that pick by offering Keldon and draft picks. Blazers are probably looking for an All-Star caliber player to pair up with Dame

lmbebo
05-17-2023, 07:25 PM
I'd do it.

BatManu20
05-17-2023, 07:56 PM
Wemby and Scoot would be nasty, but I doubt we can get that pick by offering Keldon and draft picks. Blazers are probably looking for an All-Star caliber player to pair up with Dame

This. Keldon + 4 FRP’s still prob wouldn’t be enough unless they found a bidder willing to trade a legit All-Star for those picks. Highly unlikely though.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 08:06 PM
On the one hand, Portland is going to see a bidding war for him. Teams are going to pay through the nose.

On the other hand, while the Spurs may need a second star, Scoot is a high usage player who needs the ball in his hand. We don't know how he'd work in a motion offense where he needs to read-and-react instead of doing the Harden ball-control thing. I don't really want to limit Wemby's touches to get Scoot touches.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 08:07 PM
I've seen packages thrown around with Siakam in it. Those packages would win over Keldon.

cd98
05-17-2023, 08:10 PM
Getting the second or third pick would be too expensive in terms of assets. I would think 5-6 might be more probable depending on if there is a player that they love.

Ice009
05-17-2023, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=cd98;10894996]Getting the second or third pick would be too expensive in terms of assets. I would think 5-6 might be more probable depending on if there is a player that they love.[/QUOTE

Pretty much what I was thinking and why I've never bothered to even entertain it. It's going to cost way too much to get the 2nd or 3rd pick. I don't think I'd want to give up all those first round picks, plus one of our young players for that.

A lot of these posts these past couple of days are getting a bit delusional.

lmbebo
05-17-2023, 08:57 PM
4 1st round picks for an unproven player is nuts.

Holt's Cat
05-17-2023, 10:32 PM
In next 4 drafts after this year’s Spurs could have multiple high lotto picks thanks to Hawks, Bulls, and Raptors.

I get win now but a take it slow approach could yield something dynastic or better.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 10:40 PM
The problem isn't that we couldn't put together a fair offer (Keldon + 4 good firsts sounds crazy to me), but that we don't have WHAT PORTLAND IS SUPPOSEDLY LOOKING FOR, which is WIN NOW PLAYERS. Keldon doesn't move the needle for Portland, if that's the way they're going (not the direction I'd go, BTW) then they'll receive better offers.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 10:51 PM
In next 4 drafts after this year’s Spurs could have multiple high lotto picks thanks to Hawks, Bulls, and Raptors.

I get win now but a take it slow approach could yield something dynastic or better.
bulls and raptors picks have protections so they cant be that high. especially bulls pick

tonight...you
05-17-2023, 10:58 PM
Like Ariel said, they don't want picks. They want win-now quality players.
All Stars. That's the whole point of them wanting to trade out.

DPG21920
05-17-2023, 11:01 PM
I would trade every ATL pick for Scoot. If you can guarantee that one of those picks are top 3? Yea, I’m taking that and running.

spursparker9
05-18-2023, 05:07 AM
Scoot has potential to become Ja Morant.

Wouldn't mind trading away anyone on the roster now and including draft picks. But it is hard to predict Scoot will be the #2 or #3 pick but both asking price will be really high.

CGD
05-18-2023, 06:35 AM
Scoot did say he was still willing/wanting to meeting with Spurs to make his pitch to them at one. Freakin love that confidence.

I’m kinda feeling CHA may still take Scoot at 2. It just feels like it’s a matter of time before LaMelo agitates to get out regardless of what happens this draft

Big Empty
05-18-2023, 07:10 AM
Have we given up on Blake Wesley? What are yalls thoughts on his potential?

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2023, 07:17 AM

Blake is a hard worker, he will need a couple of years though. I think people are underrating our youth right now

CGD
05-18-2023, 07:29 AM

It’s a good point. This might be the year they see what they have at PG already in-house between Tre, Wesley, and even little chucked Graham.

Big Empty
05-18-2023, 07:37 AM
It’s a good point. This might be the year they see what they have at PG already in-house between Tre, Wesley, and even little chucked Graham.
Its what im thinking too. If a deal can be made for Scoot that doesnt involve giving away the farm, im all for it but its highly unlikely. Patience is key here besides, Wemby isnt going to be a 24 ppg scorer we’re gonna slowly work him into this 82 game season. Next year is where we go nuclear once we know how he impacts our rotations. I think thats how this playa out.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-18-2023, 07:51 AM
After last year's summer league, some local analysts called him a future all star.

mo7888
05-18-2023, 07:57 AM
https://www.sny.tv/articles/knicks-offseason-options-no-first-round-pick-2023-nba-draft

I thought this article was pretty interesting. I don't care about the Knicks, but the tangential threads in there on the new CBA made it worth the read. One of the more interesting points was that the trade market is going to be substantial this summer because of how the new CBA is going to make it so difficult for high salary teams to make moves the following summer.

Mal
05-18-2023, 08:07 AM
It's not worth considering. This is not NFL, such thing simply doesn't happen

exstatic
05-18-2023, 08:45 AM
Giving up picks is fine by me but the best part of the last couple years has been our ability to build a ready made team that just needed it’s number 1. Keldon and Vassell have shown both to be cultural and chemistry fits. There is no reason to move either of our two highly productive players that are young and have put in significant time in our system.

We’d be smart to keep things intact unless it’s for a proven and significant upgrade. IE Celtics Brown…

Brown is a bozo, a flat Earther, and is chaffing at being #2 in Boston, which is exactly what he would be here. Hard pass.

SpursGenius
05-18-2023, 08:46 AM
Vassell is real deal Keldon overrated not good. Ship him while value high with 20 point average because of shot attempts on bad team.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 08:48 AM
I thought about this, but the spurs would likely have to be the one providing picks in a 3 team trade. Outside of McDermott, they don't really have championship role player contributors.

If that's the case, Thunder might be able to offer the better now deal in that regards. They have a couple main ball handlers already so one would have to go so not sure it fits but maybe they love him and think he's a missing piece.

Spurs definitely have the assets to get involved , but not the players the blazers will be looking for.

You people really haven't figured out what we have yet. We don't need a main ball handler. Wemby is the main ball handler. He does not need a PG to set him up like Tim did.

Mnky
05-18-2023, 08:50 AM
You people really haven't figured out what we have yet. We don't need a main ball handler. Wemby is the main ball handler. He does not need a PG to set him up like Tim did.

Referring to the thunder.

SpursGenius
05-18-2023, 08:51 AM
This. Keldon + 4 FRP’s still prob wouldn’t be enough unless they found a bidder willing to trade a legit All-Star for those picks. Highly unlikely though.
Nah. That would definitely get it done. I would think we can do for less. Also Getting pick 9ish to get Black who is a better pick and roll player with Wemby and great defender maybe the play. Two first rounders and Keldon definitely gets that done.

Dejounte
05-18-2023, 09:00 AM

You want to run him down like what Dallas is doing with Luka and what Houston did with Harden? LeBron found success when he let another player handle the ball handling. All the past greats who won anything did.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 09:01 AM
Referring to the thunder.

You're referring to the Thunder as a possible deal for a main ball handler. We don't need one.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 09:02 AM
On the one hand, Portland is going to see a bidding war for him. Teams are going to pay through the nose.

On the other hand, while the Spurs may need a second star, Scoot is a high usage player who needs the ball in his hand. We don't know how he'd work in a motion offense where he needs to read-and-react instead of doing the Harden ball-control thing. I don't really want to limit Wemby's touches to get Scoot touches.

THIS

couchman
05-18-2023, 09:04 AM
Obviously we’d need a 3rd team involved to make Scoot happen, but I think he’s going to be that good.
You need at least two stars to win titles, and Scoot and Wemby could be compatible because they occupy such different roles and could develop together. That PNR would be sick.

I agree with posters who think pairing Wemby w a good point guard is important for his early development.
Blake Wesley won’t be ready to run point for at least a few years.
His outside shot is erratic and he hasn’t found a way to finish at the rim yet either.
Tre Jones might be ok just because he does traditional PG things but he’s really an ideal backup PG.
CP3 is not an insane idea.
Van Vleet would work but is he worth the cost w those injuries ? Probably not
Scoot is the dream for me but it might be too pricy.

tbdog
05-18-2023, 09:04 AM
I want a pure PG rather and a Rose esk player.

LkrFan
05-18-2023, 09:06 AM
Probably should draft Scoot #1
1658884529522606105Or have Wemby spend the summer at Waffle H:loluse

spursparker9
05-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Probably should draft Scoot #1
1658884529522606105Or have Wemby spend the summer at Waffle H:loluse

This fat kid is Jokic 2.0 tbh

lmbebo
05-18-2023, 09:12 AM
Meh. He's also like 300 lbs.

JeffDuncan
05-18-2023, 09:18 AM

Nonsense. Wemby is too tall, and not quick enough, to be a main ball handler. If he tries a lot of dribbling around, the NBA ball hawks will shred him.

Tim damn sure needed Tony, and Wemby damn sure needs a pg who can dribble from point A to point B without getting the ball stolen.

Scoot would be a bad pairing, tho. He doesn’t shoot well enough from range. 27.5%. His defender could sag, and make Wemby’s life tougher in the middle.

Wemby needs a point guard who is a threat from the arc, to help open up the middle for Wemby to operate.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 10:00 AM
Nonsense. Wemby is too tall, and not quick enough, to be a main ball handler. If he tries a lot of dribbling around, the NBA ball hawks will shred him.

Tim damn sure needed Tony, and Wemby damn sure needs a pg who can dribble from point A to point B without getting the ball stolen.

Scoot would be a bad pairing, tho. He doesn’t shoot well enough from range. 27.5%. His defender could sag, and make Wemby’s life tougher in the middle.

Wemby needs a point guard who is a threat from the arc, to help open up the middle for Wemby to operate.

You can get that from any shooting guard.

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2023, 10:13 AM
exstatic with the dumb takes per par. We should probably still try to get Jalen Smith for 30 million according to him :lmao

rascal
05-18-2023, 10:44 AM

Wemby the main ball handler?

With his high dribble he'll get the ball stolen over and over in the NBA if you want him dribbling the ball all over the place.

buttsR4rebounding
05-18-2023, 11:05 AM
If Charlotte takes Miller #2 Portland obviously has a problem. Everyone assumes that they trade the pick to help Dame out now, but they may want their cake and eat it too. Dame is at the end of his career so they may want to get his replacement. That would likely make Anfernee Simons the odd man out. Jerami Grant turned down their max extension offer during the season so there is no guarantee they will be able to re-sign him. A Keldon Johnson + a FRP might bring in someone who could really blossom as a PG.

buttsR4rebounding
05-18-2023, 11:14 AM

Scoot actually shot 32.4% from 3 in the G League which is actual NBA distance as opposed to the college 3 which is 2 to 3 feet shorter. He has shown marked improvement as a 3 point shooter and will likely end up as average NBA 3 point shooter. One reason I'd love to go after him if it were at all feasible.

BatManu20
05-18-2023, 11:25 AM

I agree tbh, but that horrendous Rudy Gobert trade last year by Minnesota really set the trade market and that bleeds over into the draft. It cost ATL 3 FRP’s for Dejounte, though he was a proven All-Star caliber player. Scoot has that kind of potential though.

poopbox
05-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Only if it cost us nothing more than Keldon and some first rounders. I think Scoot will be very good so I'd be willing to do Keldon and the ATL picks...but those might turn out to be nothing so no way that gets us Scoot.

lmbebo
05-18-2023, 11:43 AM
I agree tbh, but that horrendous Rudy Gobert trade last year by Minnesota really set the trade market and that bleeds over into the draft. It cost ATL 3 FRP’s for Dejounte, though he was a proven All-Star caliber player. Scoot has that kind of potential though.

Yeah, but those were proven players. Not a unpicked prospect.

kht
05-18-2023, 11:46 AM
KJ is on a team friendly deal with the cap expected to spike. He has good chemistry with Vassell and Sochan. I wouldn't break that up. I'd give back the Hornet's protected pick (to the Hornets) and give them one of Atlanta's unprotected pick. Give them McDormett and take any bad contracts from them.

JeffDuncan
05-18-2023, 11:50 AM
Scoot actually shot 32.4% from 3 in the G League which is actual NBA distance as opposed to the college 3 which is 2 to 3 feet shorter. He has shown marked improvement as a 3 point shooter and will likely end up as average NBA 3 point shooter. One reason I'd love to go after him if it were at all feasible.

That does sound better. I haven’t followed much discussion of Scoot, just some here and there, because I didn’t expect the Spurs to draft that high. I’m such a pessimist. Lol

But yeah, IMO the Spurs need a “real” point guard, who can run a complete offense, and who shoots at least league average (so his defender won’t sag.)

poopbox
05-18-2023, 11:57 AM
You want to run him down like what Dallas is doing with Luka and what Houston did with Harden? LeBron found success when he let another player handle the ball handling. All the past greats who won anything did.

Going to be more like what Denver does with Jokic with Murray bringing the ball up but once we get into a set Wemby is the primary person making decisions with the ball in his hands

poopbox
05-18-2023, 12:03 PM
If Charlotte takes Miller #2 Portland obviously has a problem. Everyone assumes that they trade the pick to help Dame out now, but they may want their cake and eat it too. Dame is at the end of his career so they may want to get his replacement. That would likely make Anfernee Simons the odd man out. Jerami Grant turned down their max extension offer during the season so there is no guarantee they will be able to re-sign him. A Keldon Johnson + a FRP might bring in someone who could really blossom as a PG.

I actually think if Portland gets word that Charlotte is going to pass on Scott...they just trade Dame for whatever and they start over with Sharpe and Scoot as they backcourt.

Dejounte
05-18-2023, 12:21 PM
Going to be more like what Denver does with Jokic with Murray bringing the ball up but once we get into a set Wemby is the primary person making decisions with the ball in his hands

So, sort of like how Duncan was used. Yes.

kobyz
05-18-2023, 12:30 PM

Cause 4 1st round picks are more proven?

TD 21
05-18-2023, 03:07 PM
Johnson isn't worth a third pick, not even with future draft capital attached, since too much of it is too far off to have a sense of the quality of it.

I actually think if Portland gets word that Charlotte is going to pass on Scott...they just trade Dame for whatever and they start over with Sharpe and Scoot as they backcourt.

That's what they should do. What they likely will do, is offer 3 + Simons and maybe another 1st for Bridges and maybe Thomas.

Since a Henderson-Simons back court is too small defensively, the Nets should try to pull in a third team (Magic?) and get back better fitting youth/draft capital.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 03:08 PM

Just because they jumped off a cliff doesn't mean we have to follow.

R. DeMurre
05-18-2023, 03:17 PM
Scoot would require too much in a trade imo. I'd target Immanuel Quickey before I'd make a run at Scoot. Quickley is still young, undervalued, inexpensive, and has the chance to be very good-- and even if he doesn't evolve into "very good," he's established for three straight years that he has a big net positive impact on winning. Plus the Knicks are overloaded at the guard positions, and might just be dumb enough to trade him.

JPB
05-18-2023, 04:03 PM
Yeah come on, 4 or 5 picks for Scoot is pure craziness. If at least, there were signs he could be a lethal 3pt shooter but he's no generational talent. I mean I didn't want the guy with our first so 4 FRPs for him is mad. You're buying hype and hope for that haul, with no clear signs he'll really dominate.

TD 21
05-18-2023, 04:12 PM
Scoot would require too much in a trade imo. I'd target Immanuel Quickey before I'd make a run at Scoot. Quickley is still young, undervalued, inexpensive, and has the chance to be very good-- and even if he doesn't evolve into "very good," he's established for three straight years that he has a big net positive impact on winning. Plus the Knicks are overloaded at the guard positions, and might just be dumb enough to trade him.

Not a good enough ball handling/play making to be a starting PG unless you have a wing or Jokic to render that moot.

John B
05-18-2023, 04:13 PM
Scoot at #2 is too expensive and his potential for bust is high. I rather they package for Anthony Black at #6-10. Bigger and better defender. Also we don’t want a ball dominant PG to pair with Wemby.

The Truth #6
05-18-2023, 04:22 PM
Exciting times but a lot of crazy ideas in this thread as far as I can tell. Why would we put all our chips on the table before Wemby even plays one game? And for someone unproven? That’s bold.

BackHome
05-18-2023, 06:43 PM
Scoot at #2 is too expensive and his potential for bust is high. I rather they package for Anthony Black at #6-10. Bigger and better defender. Also we don’t want a ball dominant PG to pair with Wemby.

I would definitely like that as it would be a lot cheaper and probably better for our team as he could play 1-3. But in all honesty I am cool going into next season and seeing with my own eyes how Wemby plays and what looks good around him. Also, want to see the growth of our other first rounders you know they extra pumped knowing they going to get a lot more TV time.

John B
05-18-2023, 07:33 PM
Exciting times but a lot of crazy ideas in this thread as far as I can tell. Why would we put all our chips on the table before Wemby even plays one game? And for someone unproven? That’s bold.

They’ve been scouting this kid the last 5 years, and with TP and Bobo out there with first hand look. Yeah, they know what they’re getting. The PATFO would not have decided to trade all its chips, tank like they did, if they were not sure what they could potentially be getting. Now they have 50 FRP’s, no non-movable contracts, good young assets, in great position to make whatever move to pair with Wemby, because they know exactly what they’re getting.

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 07:37 PM

Scoot is gonna cost a lot in assets, cost a lot in salary, and may not match a need. He was at a 30% USG rate in the G-League and Wemby is likely gonna be around the same.

JPB
05-18-2023, 07:37 PM
I still can't believe we got Wemby. I'll have to wait for his first minute on the floor with a spurs jersey to really realize.

spurraider21
05-18-2023, 07:38 PM
not giving up, but also not considering the position solved just because he's on the roster. bring in competition. a surplus of talent is a good problem to have

JPB
05-18-2023, 07:50 PM
Wesley might do it as a back up PG, or third string I don't know, but I really don't think he can be a starter in this league (on a non tanking team)

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 08:16 PM

This is a good distinction. We really don’t want a ball dominant pg. particularly a ball dominant scoring pg. Black looks like the perfect fit but I wouldn’t give up Keldon. We have a productive core worth keeping until something significantly bigger is available.

I have no issue packaging up picks for Black. I don’t even mind over paying for Black. Just not Keldon, Vassell, Sochan and probably not Malaki either.

spurraider21
05-18-2023, 08:19 PM
i would have gladly taken Scoot at 2 but im not a fan of mortgaging so much of the draft capital that we've build up for him. i'd be much more in favor of a more modest deal to move up for anthony black depending on where he falls. all these picks we have could also be used to acquire established players who we know can come in on day 1 and be good players

spurraider21
05-18-2023, 08:20 PM
Wesley might do it as a back up BG, or thir string I don't know, but I really don't tnik he can be a starter in this league (on a non tanking team)
he's still so young that we have no clue what he will look like at age 24, 25, etc

but im not closing the door on going after starting PG talent just because he's under contract

poopbox
05-18-2023, 08:31 PM
Not a good enough ball handling/play making to be a starting PG unless you have a wing or Jokic to render that moot.

I think eventually we will have exactly that.

JPB
05-18-2023, 08:33 PM
More seriously, the limits Blake showed this year seem unsurmountable to me for him to really be a relevant player. He's not just mediocre in the paint and at finishing at the rim, he's terrible, clueless and lost. He may get a bit better but not enough to really matters imo. He's starting from too far, scratch basically.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 08:38 PM
i would have gladly taken Scoot at 2 but im not a fan of mortgaging so much of the draft capital that we've build up for him. i'd be much more in favor of a more modest deal to move up for anthony black depending on where he falls. all these picks we have could also be used to acquire established players who we know can come in on day 1 and be good players
No argument there. Honestly we have no idea who the FO is even interested in at this point. For me. Thankfully the FO is shrewd.

We need that more than anything right now.

These teams that make big moves rarely end well.

jjspur
05-18-2023, 08:42 PM

I was thinking someone like Josh Giddey, but Quickley from the knicks is a really good alternative that probably would not cost 3 or 4 #1 picks.

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 08:51 PM
The Spurs really have good back-up point and in-a-pinch point options. Tre Jones is probably a better pure point than Immanuel Quickley, although IQ looks nice. If the Spurs target a lead guard, it needs to be a guy they think can take the 1 spot as a starter.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2023, 08:57 PM
Do massively athletic guys who can't shoot make it in the NBA? Devin Booker and Jamaal Murray weren't regarded as incredible athletes. Good shooters seem to be the ones who do well as pros.

Mnky
05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
You're referring to the Thunder as a possible deal for a main ball handler. We don't need one.

Incorrect. Referring to the thunder having the best assets to make a move with Portland, but already having ball handlers so Scoot wouldn't make a ton of sense for that move unless the blazers are getting one of those players back from them.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 09:25 PM
Incorrect. Referring to the thunder having the best assets to make a move with Portland, but already having ball handlers so Scoot wouldn't make a ton of sense for that move unless the blazers are getting one of those players back from them.

No reason to go after Scoot with SGA. Miller would look nice on the OKC roster tbh

spursparker9
05-18-2023, 09:41 PM
Do massively athletic guys who can't shoot make it in the NBA? Devin Booker and Jamaal Murray weren't regarded as incredible athletes. Good shooters seem to be the ones who do well as pros.

Well, Nephew couldn't shoot when he was a rookie...There is always potential for improvement. It just depend on the culture of the team and also the player's desire to be the very best version of himself

Ariel
05-18-2023, 10:45 PM
Wesley was always a project, a long term gamble at 25 where there weren't better options really:

25. Spurs draft Blake Wesley (Notre Dame)
26. Mavericks draft Wendell Moore Jr. (Duke) — Traded to MIN
27. Heat draft Nikola Jovic (Mega Mozzart)
28. Warriors draft Patrick Baldwin Jr. (Milwaukee)
29. Grizzlies draft TyTy Washington Jr. (Kentucky) — Traded to HOU
30. Thunder draft Peyton Watson (UCLA) — Traded to DEN
31. Pacers draft Andrew Nembhard (Gonzaga)
32. Magic draft Caleb Houstan (Michigan)
33. Raptors draft Christian Koloko (Arizona)
34. Thunder draft Jaylin Williams (Arkansas)
35. Lakers draft Max Christie (Michigan State)
36. Blazers draft Gabriele Procida (Fortitudo Bologna) — Traded to DET
37. Kings draft Jaden Hardy (G League Ignite) — Traded to DAL
38. Spurs draft Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee) — Traded to MEM
39. Cavaliers draft Khalifa Diop (Gran Canaria)
40. Timberwolves draft Bryce McGowens (Nebraska) — Traded to CHA
41. Pelicans draft EJ Liddell (Ohio State)
42. Knicks draft Trevor Keels (Duke)
43. Clippers draft Moussa Diabate (Michigan)
44. Hawks draft Ryan Rollins (Toldeo) — Traded to GSW
45. Hornets draft Josh Minott (Memphis) — Traded to MIN
46. Pistons draft Ismael Kamagate (Paris Basketball) — Traded to POR
47. Grizzlies draft Vince Williams Jr. (VCU)
48. Timberwolves draft Kendall Brown (Baylor) — Traded to IND
49. Cavaliers draft Isaiah Mobley (USC)
50. Timberwolves draft Matteo Spagnolo (Vanoli Cremona)
51. Warriors draft Tyrese Martin (UConn) — Traded to ATL
52. Pelicans draft Karlo Matković (Mega Mozzart)
53. Celtics draft JD Davison (Alabama)
— Milwaukee (forfeited)
— Miami (forfeited)
54. Wizards draft Yannick Nzosa (Unicaja Malaga)
55. Warriors draft Gui Santos (Minas)
56. Cavaliers draft Luke Travers (Perth)
57. Blazers draft Jabari Walker (Colorado)
58. Pacers draft Hugo Besson (New Zealand Breakers) — Reportedly traded to MIL
Of the bunch, I'd say only Nembhard is clearly better in hindsight, but he's 3 years older. Blake is athletically gifted, level headed and hard working, We shouldn't count on him, but give him a couple of years to see what he can grow into. If he does, great. If not, no biggie, it was still a sensible gamble at that spot.

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 10:50 PM
Wesley was always a project, a long term gamble at 25 where there weren't better options really:

Of the bunch, I'd say only Nembhard is clearly better in hindsight, but he's 3 years older. Blake is athletically gifted, level headed and hard working, We shouldn't count on him, but give him a couple of years to see what he can grow into. If he does, great. If not, no biggie, it was still a sensible gamble at that spot.

Good thoughts. I also agree that only Nembhard is the potential 'miss' here. Although we haven't seen Liddel, he's not a fit any more. Wesley was a good swing and has potential.

Ariel
05-18-2023, 10:52 PM
This is a good distinction. We really don’t want a ball dominant pg. particularly a ball dominant scoring pg. Black looks like the perfect fit but I wouldn’t give up Keldon. We have a productive core worth keeping until something significantly bigger is available.

I have no issue packaging up picks for Black. I don’t even mind over paying for Black. Just not Keldon, Vassell, Sochan and probably not Malaki either.
Wemby + Sochan + Black + time together = no need for PG

Chucho
05-18-2023, 11:49 PM
I dont understand any scenario short of a top 5-10 player coming into play, why the Spurs would or should give up or trade either of Vasell or KJ. Having two 20 ppg whom combined are cheaper than 1 veteran 20 ppg scorer seemd like a rare luxury in today's NBA.

I also dont understand why so many fans think we arent a PO squad as is, especially with the "most hyped prospect in all of team sports" has been secured, we have two 20 ppg scorers and a game-altering hustler in JS and a couple of good rotation players and a PG who rarely turns the ball over.

I dont see how we arent a PO team and there's more value having Wemby and Co.getting some playoff basketball in their blood as opposed to having a cautious season, hoping for a better 1st round pick when we already have a solid amount for ourselves and as bargaining chips.

See what we got, let the team be naturally competitive. This will help lure more higher quality free agents to San Antonio.

The West is going to be open next year. Dallas already looks poised to be the new Chernobyl for the next Kyrie toxic meltdown. If the Lakers get swept, King is leaving town and Anthony Davis is a broken down part timer. Ja Morant is probably cooked for most, if not all of next season. The Clippers are a 1st round bounce at best, but knowing Kawhi, hee could just randomly retire like tomorrow.

If the guys already here and figured in take steps forward, we pick up a few younger vets we dont anchor to for long commitments, I would see anything less than the 6th seed as a bad season.

kht
05-19-2023, 12:46 AM
Free Agents should be licking their chops to come to SA.

exstatic
05-19-2023, 01:39 AM
No argument there. Honestly we have no idea who the FO is even interested in at this point. For me. Thankfully the FO is shrewd.

We need that more than anything right now.

These teams that make big moves rarely end well.

No team that pushed their pile of chips in the last 12 months even made it out of the second round.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2023, 02:05 AM
Well, Nephew couldn't shoot when he was a rookie...There is always potential for improvement. It just depend on the culture of the team and also the player's desire to be the very best version of himself

I don't remember a time that he couldn't shoot. Kawhi became a great shooter as a pro, but he was a good shooter in college. ESPN did a thing on his shooting consistency when he was a rookie.

Now I do remember that he couldn't dribble when he was a rookie and he was running point within a couple of years.

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2023, 05:36 AM
I dont understand any scenario short of a top 5-10 player coming into play, why the Spurs would or should give up or trade either of Vasell or KJ. Having two 20 ppg whom combined are cheaper than 1 veteran 20 ppg scorer seemd like a rare luxury in today's NBA.

I also dont understand why so many fans think we arent a PO squad as is, especially with the "most hyped prospect in all of team sports" has been secured, we have two 20 ppg scorers and a game-altering hustler in JS and a couple of good rotation players and a PG who rarely turns the ball over.

I dont see how we arent a PO team and there's more value having Wemby and Co.getting some playoff basketball in their blood as opposed to having a cautious season, hoping for a better 1st round pick when we already have a solid amount for ourselves and as bargaining chips.

See what we got, let the team be naturally competitive. This will help lure more higher quality free agents to San Antonio.

The West is going to be open next year. Dallas already looks poised to be the new Chernobyl for the next Kyrie toxic meltdown. If the Lakers get swept, King is leaving town and Anthony Davis is a broken down part timer. Ja Morant is probably cooked for most, if not all of next season. The Clippers are a 1st round bounce at best, but knowing Kawhi, hee could just randomly retire like tomorrow.

If the guys already here and figured in take steps forward, we pick up a few younger vets we dont anchor to for long commitments, I would see anything less than the 6th seed as a bad season.

I'm with you on that. I got the Spurs as a 40+ win team around the 8th seed. People forget that we sat half of our team every game to keep losing, otherwise that was a 35-win team last year. Our team is the youngest in the league and everybody will be better next season and our defense will improve tremendously from the jump. I feel like ever since we got the #1 pick people underrate what we already have.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-19-2023, 06:08 AM
he was a good shooter in college
https://sun9-10.userapi.com/impg/WzLohf5hAwGNKfyzTnoF4pae3st8VAUwYAX4Yg/I5Fn0IR_s1I.jpg?size=382x94&quality=96&sign=6cbb5d8d665237315db319ffac6c7106&type=album

exstatic
05-19-2023, 06:10 AM
I was thinking someone like Josh Giddey, but Quickley from the knicks is a really good alternative that probably would not cost 3 or 4 #1 picks.

Knicks don’t like us, and no longer trade with us. They accused us of tampering when the whole Porzingus trade went down.

Rocalcio
05-19-2023, 06:11 AM
The kid still thinks he can be the first pick, I don’t want a dumb guy like this :drunk

Obstructed_View
05-19-2023, 07:21 AM
Yeah I know his stats. Inconsistency and range were the concerns. I don't remember anyone saying he couldn't shoot. He didn't track as an elite athlete, he was a prototype small forward with big hands and elite rebounding.

jjspur
05-19-2023, 10:19 AM
Knicks don’t like us, and no longer trade with us. They accused us of tampering when the whole Porzingus trade went down.

Yeah , the knicks have a bunch of A-holes in upper management, I was just thinking that there has to be a decent pg that wouldn't cost us a player and 2-3 picks. Davion Michell ? , Jevon Carter ?, . This is a tough one.

Ariel
05-19-2023, 10:42 AM
The kid still thinks he can be the first pick, I don’t want a dumb guy like this :drunk
He's not unintelligent, he's just too proud to admit he's got no chance. Which is why both him and Lamelo wouldn't work together, they both want to be the top dog and neither would be willing to take a step back for the benefit of the team (like Manu did), irrespective of what they say publicly.

Ariel
05-19-2023, 10:47 AM
Unsubstantiated BS to cover up for Morris. Besides that's pre Leon Rose.

slick'81
05-19-2023, 11:21 AM
I'm with you on that. I got the Spurs as a 40+ win team around the 8th seed. People forget that we sat half of our team every game to keep losing, otherwise that was a 35-win team last year. Our team is the youngest in the league and everybody will be better next season and our defense will improve tremendously from the jump. I feel like ever since we got the #1 pick people underrate what we already have.

Spurs had to fight to give games away this season. Not to mention Wemby makes everyone on the roster instantly better

Gagnrath
05-19-2023, 11:37 AM
Vassell is real deal Keldon overrated not good. Ship him while value high with 20 point average because of shot attempts on bad team.

Keldon isn't a me first guy... He also is a fairly hard worker, and good community guy. He is limited to being a borderline all-star on a good team and is number 3 option on such a team. That said without defenses keying on him it will help make him way more efficient. Players that are game smart and don't have a monster ego are always valuable, even if they are size and speed limited. He knows that he's a tweener forward and looks to exploit that. A teem with him as their long term number 2 is going to be disappointed come play-offs time. A team where he's in a number three role is a lot different. All this depends a lot on victor becoming most of what the hype is of course.

Mnky
05-20-2023, 01:44 AM
No reason to go after Scoot with SGA. Miller would look nice on the OKC roster tbh

Agreed, which I believes helps the spurs if they attempt to make moves. I don't believe their needs are the same so spurs likely won't have a need to compete with okc for any potential moves.

dbestpro
05-20-2023, 08:15 AM
Would you send Vassel and Johnson for Scoot and salary filler?

Ignazzz
05-20-2023, 08:40 AM
No

Silverheart80
05-20-2023, 09:05 AM
Answer to OP's question:

No.

Scoot is a 6'2" player. League is evolving to a place where the elite teams will have long, tall playmakers. Scoot doesn't fit that.

Even with a supposed wingspan of 6'9", he's still 6'2". I think players of that height will be an endangered species in a few years on elite teams. You'll see plenty of 'em in the league but not at the core of the teams competing for championships. NBA is evolving.

Trueblood
05-20-2023, 09:08 AM

I like Quickley or Giddey as potential fits. I'm partial to Giddey as I think his strengths complement or roster while simultaneously hiding his weaknesses. His end of year report praises his facilitating and passing while admonishing his lack of shooting and individual play making.

If we were to run him a a 6'8" pg he could run a high pick and role with Wemby and with their heights it would be difficult to stop. Keldon and Vassel are high end 3pt shooters and his facilitating could give them some good open looks. Most importantly he would be playing with 4 plus defenders who can all switch off and guard multiple positions.

He would be a great fit because we don't need him to shoot, he isn't a ball dominant guard, his height works well with Wemby, and we can live with his defensive liabilities. Plus he fits the timeline at 20. The biggest issue is what it would take to get him from OKC as they wouldn't need any of our draft capital and we wouldn't want to give up any players. If we could get a third team involved with an established player who wants to be traded we could maybe shift McDermotts expiring contact and 1 or 2 firsts (I'm thinking the ones with protections on them) we could pull it off.

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 09:16 AM
You're not going to get Giddey away from OKC. They love him. OKC is also shaping up to be a prime rival for the rest of the decade. They're not gonna want to help us out. (We're gonna see a lot of Chet vs. Vic stuff coming up.)

There is a guy who plays a lot like Giddey in this draft, who happens to also play defense.

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 09:18 AM
Scoot is high usage and his efficiency is in question at this point. I don't want to take those shots away from Victor and what we already have. He's also not a great defender, and not due to his size.

However... this seems an unusual draft where you have 3-4 point guard types who are also good defenders.

BacktoBasics
05-20-2023, 09:54 AM
Would you send Vassel and Johnson for Scoot and salary filler?

Absolutely not

Trueblood
05-20-2023, 10:06 AM
You're not going to get Giddey away from OKC. They love him. OKC is also shaping up to be a prime rival for the rest of the decade. They're not gonna want to help us out. (We're gonna see a lot of Chet vs. Vic stuff coming up.)

There is a guy who plays a lot like Giddey in this draft, who happens to also play defense.

Name?

BacktoBasics
05-20-2023, 10:08 AM
Name?
Black

Chinook
05-20-2023, 10:21 AM

Most decent players can get to 20 ppg with enough priority. Like Branham clearly has that potential, and do both Sochan and Wesley. Heck Champangie has real potential there as well. Neither Keldon or Devin were particularly efficient either. Vassell was more efficient when he was healthy and in rhythm, but both would clearly benefit from taking a step back. So I don't think they have to worry about missing out on value for Keldon. He has a good contract, but the Spurs don't need a value contract at this point, and by the time they do, Johnson will be expiring.

Obviously both guys have value, which is why they could be traded for a legit pick in the first place. You don't trade players because they suck. You trade them because you think you can improve the team's long-term position. Just as trading a good player in George Hill who has had a 15-year career for a real shot at addressing the team's major need was a good choice, trading a good player whose long-term fit is dicey to attack the team's biggest long-term needs could make sense. Johnson should have a long and healthy career, and that will also be true for other players the Spurs cut, trade or otherwise move on from. When you go from a vet team with scraps for young talent to a bad team with plenty of holes to a team loaded with young players, guys who seemed too intriguing to move on from become dime-a-dozen prospects.

That you seem confident that the Spurs are a playoff bound team this year is exactly why making a move for a top draft pick may be so important. They won't get another chance at one themselves next year. Yes, they shouldn't trade Keldon just to trade him. But if they thought they had a chance to draft one of the top players in the draft in the 5-15 range, then finding a way to still get that player makes sense. Just as there aren't Wembies or Lebrons in every draft, there aren't Kawhis, Georges or Haliburtons in the middle of the first every year. My point is that if the Spurs thought they might have seen one of those, they should be aggressive in getting them. That's not specifically what this thread is pushing, but that's what I think a few other posters are talking about in this thread.

BatManu20
05-20-2023, 10:25 AM
Give me Anthony Black over Scoot tbh. Nothing against Scoot who I think will be a fine player for a long time with his athleticism, explosiveness, and tenacity. I’d just prefer Black given this roster. Bigger, better passer, better shooter, better defender, and he’s a Texas kid. He’d be a little cheaper to acquire as well. Prob a pipe dream either way, but that’s who I’d want if we traded back into the Top-10.

rascal
05-20-2023, 10:29 AM
Give me Anthony Black over scoot tbh. Bigger, better passer, better defender, and he’s a Texas kid. He’d be a little cheaper to acquire as well. Prob a pipe dream, but that’s who I’d want if we traded back into the Top-10.

Being Texan does not matter and no he isn't better than Scoot.

Trueblood
05-20-2023, 10:33 AM
Black

Just read up on him. I'm in. I think with Washington still in the delusional stage of believing they can win it all we could get a third team involved and get him if he falls to 9. So a hypothetical:

Spurs get pick 9 to grab Black
Washington get a win now player to compliment Beal
Third team gets McDermott and 2 first rounders

The real question is who could we get at that price that Washington would want?

BatManu20
05-20-2023, 10:34 AM

I said he’s a better passer, shooter, and defender right now, which are all true. I didn’t say he’s a better all-around player.

Kevin
05-20-2023, 10:35 AM
Yeah Black is very odd fit next to Wemby and Sochan. Don't understand the fascination with him besides being from Texas.

Trueblood
05-20-2023, 10:41 AM

Have to disagree a little my friend. We see the draw of players wanting to go home all the time. LeBron left Miami because he wanted to get Cleveland a championship. Nephew blew up our world to get back to California. Even LA picked us to get back to Texas. Picking someone from Texas doesn't guarantee they won't want to leave, but you'll know you have the draw of their family and friends being closer so when free agency hits that can factor in.

As for the Black/Scoot thing, you're right. Scoot is a better player and will probably be a better player in the future. But he doesn't fit the roster we have built. He's a ball dominant guard that will take touches away from Vic and shots away from Vassel and Johnson. Black is a better facilitator and doesn't need the ball to be successful. He can run a better pick and roll and hit the open shooters. Plus he's stout on defense and wouldn't cost as much to move up to grab him. Why pay more for a player who is a worse fit?

BatManu20
05-20-2023, 10:41 AM
Black is far from perfect. His shot definitely needs improvement. But he’s already a great passer and a defensive monster at his age. And he’s plenty good at lowering his head and attacking the rim. I assume he’ll improve his jumper with time and reps at the next level as most young players do. I also just love big PG’s like him. A 6’7 pass-first PG who’s a great defender? Sign me up. I think he could be a really good player. If he really improves from 3, he could be nasty.

BatManu20
05-20-2023, 10:54 AM
Fwiw, I think the Spurs are really high on Amen Thompson and see him as a 6’7 PG prospect as well. He’s likely going to Houston at 4, but if the Spurs were looking to trade back up, I feel like he might be their target.

Dejounte
05-20-2023, 10:55 AM
Have to disagree a little my friend. We see the draw of players wanting to go home all the time. LeBron left Miami because he wanted to get Cleveland a championship. Nephew blew up our world to get back to California. Even LA picked us to get back to Texas. Picking someone from Texas doesn't guarantee they won't want to leave, but you'll know you have the draw of their family and friends being closer so when free agency hits that can factor in.

As for the Black/Scoot thing, you're right. Scoot is a better player and will probably be a better player in the future. But he doesn't fit the roster we have built. He's a ball dominant guard that will take touches away from Vic and shots away from Vassel and Johnson. Black is a better facilitator and doesn't need the ball to be successful. He can run a better pick and roll and hit the open shooters. Plus he's stout on defense and wouldn't cost as much to move up to grab him. Why pay more for a player who is a worse fit?

As far as roster construction goes, Vic is the only player we should keep in mind as far as touches goes. Not Vassell or Johnson. And Vic DOES need someone to take touches from him. Basketball is played with four other teammates. You guys want to burn Vic out with all this talk about having no one else having a high usage but him. Someone else definitely should. And no one has established himself as that guy yet, so we need to keep pursuing those opportunities. Vassell may. Sochan may. But as of right now, no. Think of if Giannis never had help from guys like Middleton or Jrue. That would be a bad team.

Chinook
05-20-2023, 10:55 AM
If for some reason the Spurs have offers for either Scoot for Black with the basically the same package, it'd be really hard to see how they could not pick Scoot. You can let Scoot and Wemby figure each other out and have guys like Vassell/Johnson and Sochan fill in the cracks around them. Even if you think Henderson's ceiling is closer to a Tony Parker than a Tim Duncan, both guys played together just fine on the Spurs, along with a third HoFer and a cast of key supporting players. If you think Black has a chance at being a star, he's worth the trade. If you just think he's going to grow into a solid role-player, there are other ways of pursuing that, especially in the future when such a player becomes more valuable to the team.

Dejounte
05-20-2023, 10:57 AM
If for some reason the Spurs have offers for either Scoot for Black with the basically the same package, it'd be really hard to see how they could not pick Scoot. You can let Scoot and Wemby figure each other out and have guys like Vassell/Johnson and Sochan fill in the cracks around them. Even if you think Henderson's ceiling is closer to a Tony Parker than a Tim Duncan, both guys played together just fine on the Spurs, along with a third HoFer and a cast of key supporting players. If you think Black has a chance at being a star, he's worth the trade. If you just think he's going to grow into a solid role-player, there are other ways of pursuing that, especially in the future when such a player becomes more valuable to the team.

We said pretty much the same thing seconds apart ;)

R. DeMurre
05-20-2023, 10:59 AM
Free Agents should be licking their chops to come to SA.

You'd think that would be the case, but it rarely happens. In seven seasons, Cleveland couldn't lure any big name free agents to join a young generational talent in Lebron, and no one has gone to Milwaukee or Dallas to team up with Giannis or Doncic. I think there's an ego thing at play in these situations that limits how frequently they play out.

Chinook
05-20-2023, 10:59 AM
Fwiw, I think the Spurs are really high on Amen Thompson and see him as a 6’7 PG prospect as well. He’s likely going to Houston at 4, but if the Spurs were looking to trade back up, I feel like he might be their target.

Yep, and to my eye, there's a real chance Thompson is on the board at five when either Detroit or Portland (if Detroit moves up for Miller) are on the clock, and I don't think either team would see him as someone they need on their roster. That could be the team's best chance at snagging him. Houston may get him, but they could also get Whitmore.

spurraider21
05-20-2023, 11:16 AM
Yeah Black is very odd fit next to Wemby and Sochan. Don't understand the fascination with him besides being from Texas.
We don’t need a ball dominant, high usage point guard. I think the formula we want is what the Bucks are doing. I don’t think Wemby will be quite the facilitator Giannis is, at least not now. But they don’t have a pg who pounds the air out of the ball. Black, like Holiday, projects to be a very good defender who can switch and guard 2s and some 3s in a pinch. He’s also a good passer, high iq player on offense. Blacks 3pt efficiency is his blemish but his form is fine and he should get better with time.

if we didn’t have wemby, black wouldn’t be as good a fit because he’s not some electric shot generator/penetrator. But he’s definitely good enough to run an offense that has a built in scorer

Trueblood
05-20-2023, 11:22 AM
As far as roster construction goes, Vic is the only player we should keep in mind as far as touches goes. Not Vassell or Johnson. And Vic DOES need someone to take touches from him. Basketball is played with four other teammates. You guys want to burn Vic out with all this talk about having no one else having a high usage but him. Someone else definitely should. And no one has established himself as that guy yet, so we need to keep pursuing those opportunities. Vassell may. Sochan may. But as of right now, no. Think of if Giannis never had help from guys like Middleton or Jrue. That would be a bad team.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. If Scoot was available at the same price I would say move on him. But he won't be and the difference between moving to 9 and moving to 3 would be huge. The question is (and only the Spurs really know) is do they value Scoot enough to give up what it would take to move up and get him? We certainly have the assets with 7FRP and 7SRP in the next three years (pending conveying). But would you be comfortable giving up the potential 4 FRP's, pick swaps, and young player it would potentially take to pull it off?

Trueblood
05-20-2023, 11:25 AM

I like your thought process, but there's no world in which the same basic package gets these guys. Moving up to 9 or 10 is light-years different than moving up to 2 or 3

rankingtear
05-20-2023, 11:30 AM
Black is not really wired to score, his full games reminds me of Derrick, no shot creation in the middle of the floor, set shot 3 does not really have the most confidence in it. Uses angles rather than creativity at the rim. Does not really have a way to crack 15 points a game. Personality is same as him too, the nicest guy on the team. I don't see the value on this roster.

Dejounte
05-20-2023, 11:37 AM
Black is not really wired to score, his full games reminds me of Derrick, no shot creation in the middle of the floor, set shot 3 does not really have the most confidence in it. Uses angles rather than creativity at the rim. Does not really have a way to crack 15 points a game. Personality is same as him too, the nicest guy on the team. I don't see the value on this roster.

Exactly this. Recall many games during the college season where he would take a backseat to other players and was excessively passive in his will to score. It’s White redux. We need a scorer at the PG position so that the offense can be dictated by the point guard’s pace and unpredictability to pass or score. If they’re always expecting the point guard to be passive, everyone’s going to double/triple team Wemby and wear him the fuck out.

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 12:02 PM

He was interviewed during the first combine day of scrimmage. He comes off as a goofy nineteen year old not totally used to the attention, btw, very different than Victor. Black said "I want to make my teammates better." That's where he's at. This is the player you get with him. He's there to set everyone up and move the ball around. He'll score, but that's not his first value.

Among other things about Scoot, I don't think he'd survive next to Wembanyama. He seems like he wants to be the guy. With Wemby, he's not going to be the guy. He's not going to be the star.

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2023, 12:05 PM
That you seem confident that the Spurs are a playoff bound team this year is exactly why making a move for a top draft pick may be so important. They won't get another chance at one themselves next year. Yes, they shouldn't trade Keldon just to trade him. But if they thought they had a chance to draft one of the top players in the draft in the 5-15 range, then finding a way to still get that player makes sense. Just as there aren't Wembies or Lebrons in every draft, there aren't Kawhis, Georges or Haliburtons in the middle of the first every year. My point is that if the Spurs thought they might have seen one of those, they should be aggressive in getting them. That's not specifically what this thread is pushing, but that's what I think a few other posters are talking about in this thread.

absolutely agree with this part

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2023, 12:32 PM
Exactly this. Recall many games during the college season where he would take a backseat to other players and was excessively passive in his will to score. It’s White redux. We need a scorer at the PG position so that the offense can be dictated by the point guard’s pace and unpredictability to pass or score. If they’re always expecting the point guard to be passive, everyone’s going to double/triple team Wemby and wear him the fuck out.

team actually needs a Tony Parker type I think. A PG with elite speed. Although he should have a 3-point shot and it wouldn't hurt if he could defend.

Dejounte
05-20-2023, 12:33 PM
He was interviewed during the first combine day of scrimmage. He comes off as a goofy nineteen year old not totally used to the attention, btw, very different than Victor. Black said "I want to make my teammates better." That's where he's at. This is the player you get with him. He's there to set everyone up and move the ball around. He'll score, but that's not his first value.

Among other things about Scoot, I don't think he'd survive next to Wembanyama. He seems like he wants to be the guy. With Wemby, he's not going to be the guy. He's not going to be the star.

I don’t really get this argument. Tony wanted to be the guy his whole career with Timmy as his teammate. This isn’t even a defense of just Scoot, but for any current and future player we bring in. There is nothing wrong with having multiple alphas/ leaders on one team. Pippen played like he did because he believed in himself and not because he played “in support” of Jordan. A lot of players with high ceilings reach their ceiling because they have an attitude that they can be the “it” guy. And we need players like that who can tap into their potential, and it starts with having a certain type of mentality.

Dejounte
05-20-2023, 12:35 PM
team actually needs a Tony Parker type I think. A PG with elite speed. Although he should have a 3-point shot and it wouldn't hurt if he could defend.

Just thinking outside skillset, I think we need a “head of the snake” type guy. Someone who will control the game at certain points.

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2023, 12:38 PM
Just thinking outside skillset, I think we need a “head of the snake” type guy. Someone who will control the game at certain points.

that's what I meant when I said TP. You need somebody who can form a deadly pick & roll with Wembanyama and I think elite speed is really important here.

I know spacing is quite different nowadays, but if we had somebody who the defense has to chase like they did Tony back in the day, that would open up a load of scoring opportunities, especially with Wemby on the team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9FuNF7EezQ&t=110s

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 12:40 PM
I don’t really get this argument. Tony wanted to be the guy his whole career with Timmy as his teammate. This isn’t even a defense of just Scoot, but for any current and future player we bring in. There is nothing wrong with having multiple alphas/ leaders on one team. Pippen played like he did because he believed in himself and not because he played “in support” of Jordan. A lot of players with high ceilings reach their ceiling because they have an attitude that they can be the “it” guy. And we need players like that who can tap into their potential, and it starts with having a certain type of mentality.

I don't think Tony had any overlap in personality with Scoot whatsoever. Regardless, he was coming into a team that had mutiple veteran personalities, a clear alpha, and the team used like the #29 pick to get him.

Scoot is still saying he thinks he's better than Wembanyama and deserves to go #1. The team is young and has a developing leadership core. Scoot would require a ton of assets to get and would require the #2 or #3 to get.

First, Tony was a confident dude. Being confident and wanting to be the face of a franchise and refusing to not be the face of a franchise are completely different things. Scoot looks like he's very much wanting to be the guy. He's already jealous of Wembanyama! Even if he's okay being second banana, and I don't think he is, spending that much capital for the chance he's even-keeled doesn't make sense. Parker also earned his minutes. I don't even think Scoot wants to earn his minutes: he'll expect them.

Ignazzz
05-20-2023, 12:53 PM
Billups type PG.

rascal
05-20-2023, 02:15 PM
We don’t need a ball dominant, high usage point guard. I think the formula we want is what the Bucks are doing. I don’t think Wemby will be quite the facilitator Giannis is, at least not now. But they don’t have a pg who pounds the air out of the ball. Black, like Holiday, projects to be a very good defender who can switch and guard 2s and some 3s in a pinch. He’s also a good passer, high iq player on offense. Blacks 3pt efficiency is his blemish but his form is fine and he should get better with time.

if we didn’t have wemby, black wouldn’t be as good a fit because he’s not some electric shot generator/penetrator. But he’s definitely good enough to run an offense that has a built in scorer

Jalen Hood-Shifino is a better shooter than Black at the mid range. Much better at the mid range shots and he's also a great passer and a solid defender.

rascal
05-20-2023, 02:20 PM
I don't think Tony had any overlap in personality with Scoot whatsoever. Regardless, he was coming into a team that had mutiple veteran personalities, a clear alpha, and the team used like the #29 pick to get him.

Scoot is still saying he thinks he's better than Wembanyama and deserves to go #1. The team is young and has a developing leadership core. Scoot would require a ton of assets to get and would require the #2 or #3 to get.

First, Tony was a confident dude. Being confident and wanting to be the face of a franchise and refusing to not be the face of a franchise are completely different things. Scoot looks like he's very much wanting to be the guy. He's already jealous of Wembanyama! Even if he's okay being second banana, and I don't think he is, spending that much capital for the chance he's even-keeled doesn't make sense. Parker also earned his minutes. I don't even think Scoot wants to earn his minutes: he'll expect them.

Now you're speculating he's being jealous. come on now. I know you don't like Scoot but don't make stuff up.

JPB
05-20-2023, 02:27 PM

Oh yeah, I watched again yesterday their first Las Vegas game (Mets92 vs Ignite) and the first shot Scoot hits, he's yelling, roaring, screaming, agitated and looking at Wemby like "I'm gonna show you who's the #1 pick, dude", which he did the whole first half, overexisted and kind of freaky actually... That fits with his declarations on how he thinks he's the #1 and he's bascially the universal shit... Lacks poise, calm and humility, I see some Westbrook here.

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 02:30 PM
Now you're speculating he's being jealous. come on now. I know you don't like Scoot but don't make stuff up.

Bruh, he's already said he feels he deserves to go number 1. Guy has that little dude energy. We need guys who understand where they stand on the team.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-20-2023, 02:30 PM
Jalen Hood-Shifino is a better shooter than Black at the mid range. Much better at the mid range shots and he's also a great passer and a solid defender.
is he your nephew or what?

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 02:31 PM
Oh yeah, I watched again yesterday their frist Las Vegas game (Mets92 vs Ignite) and the first shot Scoot hits, he's yelling, roaring, screaming, agitated and looking at Wemby like "I'm gonna show you who's the #1 pick, dude", which he did the whole first half, overexisted and kind of freaky actually... That fits with his declarations on how he thinks he's the #1 and he's bascially the universal shit... Lacks poise, calm and humility, I see some Westbrook here.

I mean, I'm totally okay with that. It's great to see a super-competitive player and someone who goes after the supposed first pick. That's awesome.

But I don't think you need to pair a guy with huge ambitions on a team when those ambitions won't be met. We don't want a guy to be grousing about touches or that he deserves anything. That's not going to work.

JPB
05-20-2023, 02:39 PM
I mean, I'm totally okay with that. It's great to see a super-competitive player and someone who goes after the supposed first pick. That's awesome.

But I don't think you need to pair a guy with huge ambitions on a team when those ambitions won't be met. We don't want a guy to be grousing about touches or that he deserves anything. That's not going to work.

We agree about the competitiveness but watch the game and you'll see it's a bit weird and strange actually. You can see some anger or hate even in his behaviour. He's really yelling, shouting aggressively out of the blue the first minute of the game. I like the Westbrook comparison in the way he's that type of self centered guys with the proverbial "ship on their shoulder" and a destiny or something, making everything about them. Anyway, I don't want him and I don't believe Wemby would get along with him.

scott
05-20-2023, 02:59 PM
I'm getting mroe and more on team Move Up For Black, *if* it is believed Black can develop a reliable 3-point shot. I keep thinking that Derrick White would have been a perfect veteran leader for the Wemby Spurs, but we all know that Derrick's weakness was the unreliability of his 3 (at least year we traded him). Derrick did manage to get it up to 38% in Boston this year, so maybe it was just a matter of the team makeup in 2020-21.

Are there any indications the Spurs are even interested in Black? Seems like they've telegraphed an interest in Amen, but did they even interview Black at the combine?

BacktoBasics
05-20-2023, 03:18 PM
I'm getting mroe and more on team Move Up For Black, *if* it is believed Black can develop a reliable 3-point shot. I keep thinking that Derrick White would have been a perfect veteran leader for the Wemby Spurs, but we all know that Derrick's weakness was the unreliability of his 3 (at least year we traded him). Derrick did manage to get it up to 38% in Boston this year, so maybe it was just a matter of the team makeup in 2020-21.

Are there any indications the Spurs are even interested in Black? Seems like they've telegraphed an interest in Amen, but did they even interview Black at the combine?
There were reports of them visiting with Black. But outside of that the talk around the spurs being interested in Black was purely wishful ST thinking.

baseline bum
05-20-2023, 03:21 PM
I don't remember a time that he couldn't shoot. Kawhi became a great shooter as a pro, but he was a good shooter in college. ESPN did a thing on his shooting consistency when he was a rookie.

Now I do remember that he couldn't dribble when he was a rookie and he was running point within a couple of years.

He was 25% from the college three point line and had a broken jump shot where he pulled the ball backwards over his head when he was drafted.

baseline bum
05-20-2023, 03:25 PM
Yeah I know his stats. Inconsistency and range were the concerns. I don't remember anyone saying he couldn't shoot. He didn't track as an elite athlete, he was a prototype small forward with big hands and elite rebounding.

He even talks about it to Draftexpress about how his reputation that he can't shoot. And his form was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1GYjD1yHo

No one who could shoot shot 25% on college threes. College three is so much easier a shot than the NBA three.

JPB
05-20-2023, 03:32 PM

Forget about indications with the spurs regarding the draft. It's always been about smoke screens, bluff and lures. You're never sure who they really want.

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 04:47 PM

I would draft Wembanyama at #1 for defense alone. I would also draft Black in the top 10 for defense alone. He's a rare defensive prospect given his size and doggishness. Given that both players add potentially superb offensive skills, to me at least those are great packages.

But like others say, the Spurs are impossible to read. Like, literally impossible. Even their feints and bits of deception are impressive, because it's never clear they are actually feints. (Like the floated idea that they wanted Mark Williams last year.)

I'm beginning to wonder if they're actually after Jarace Walker, who could be really good alongside Victor -- although the overlap with Sochan is extreme. I also wonder if they're after shooting and trying to get in place for Gradey.

rascal
05-20-2023, 06:49 PM
I said he’s a better passer, shooter, and defender right now, which are all true. I didn’t say he’s a better all-around player.

He's not a better passer or shooter. Scoot had nearly double the assit numbers and they have similar shooting %'s. Scoot is a much better overall offensive player while Black is better defensively.

Arcadian
05-20-2023, 06:54 PM
I don't even know what to think about Henderson. So he went from HS to G-league for a year? I've never even heard of anyone doing that before. Is that better or worse than playing a year of college?

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 07:38 PM
I don't even know what to think about Henderson. So he went from HS to G-league for a year? I've never even heard of anyone doing that before. Is that better or worse than playing a year of college?

That's a real can of worms.

First of all, we're seeing more and more high schoolers opt for G-League instead of college.

There are two schools of thought on the other question.

1. It's better to play G-League. The other players are older, physically developed, and are professionals. They are more talented than college players.

2. It's better to play high-level college. You're learning how to play within a team environment, the coaching is much better, players aren't there simply to advance their own skillsets and careers, you play in hostile arenas, the games actually matter, and so possessions matter much more.

I'm in the second camp. G-League players take time to adjust to knowing how to respond to game environments, while they may be good at on-on-one skills. We haven't really seen a high-school-to-G-League guy do that well yet, but it's early.

K...
05-20-2023, 07:47 PM
g league pays more and no ncaa to nanny over your endorsements, less chance at injury i assume due to the competition being more professional

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 08:20 PM
g league pays more and no ncaa to nanny over your endorsements, less chance at injury i assume due to the competition being more professional

Scoot had a two year, one million dollar contract with Ignite.

The NIL is hard to figure out for NCAA. A lot of mystery. Players like Tschiebwe and Timme might have made around $800,000 in their NIL. Mackenzie Mgbako cancelled his Duke pledge after Flilipowski opted to stay. Kansas and Indiana are rumored to have entered into a bidding war -- including Mark Cuban, who is an IU alumn -- and guy might have come away with $1-2 million for next year.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2023, 11:54 PM
He even talks about it to Draftexpress about how his reputation that he can't shoot. And his form was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1GYjD1yHo

No one who could shoot shot 25% on college threes. College three is so much easier a shot than the NBA three.

Yeah. I guess that's why he was 15 and not one or two. Just another example of how Kawhi surprised us with his improvement.

baseline bum
05-21-2023, 12:18 AM
Yeah. I guess that's why he was 15 and not one or two. Just another example of how Kawhi surprised us with his improvement.

I always wonder what the Spurs could have done with MKG as a rookie since he was another high motor 3/4 tweener who had a jumper with horrible form. Still the Spurs only had two days to teach Leonard new jumper form before the lockout and to their amazement Leonard came to training camp after the lockout with that form they taught him down cold, which I doubt MKG could have pulled off training on his own in the lockout after two days of training from the team.

couchman
05-21-2023, 01:15 AM
Anyone watching the NBA playoffs knows you need at least two stars if you’re going to compete for a title.
We just got Wemby and we still need at least another one.
Keldon and Vassell are great complementary players but they are not that second star to carry your team to title contention.
Jury is still out on Sochan.
The reason you’d move up for Scoot is if you think he can be that guy.
I think that potential is there.
Scoot also happens to fill the most obvious hole in our starting lineup.
Wemby will not fulfill his potential until he gets good play from a ball handling facilitator.
I doubt that we can swing the trade to get Scoot, but I’d be willing to trade 3 firsts for him or a solid player + 2 protected firsts. I think he will be special and the Spurs would absolutely develop him well.

RC_Drunkford
05-21-2023, 02:16 AM
:lmao y‘all spurstalkers would say the complete opposite about Scoot if we had the #2 pick

tim_duncan_fan
05-21-2023, 04:13 AM
Slow it down. Take it easy. Even if Wemby is a solid block, we still won't be building Rome in one day. Wemby's teammates still won't be able to defend or shoot, so we will win about 30 games and get to pick relatively early next year. Listen to what Portland wants for their pick, but if it's too crazy, don't force it.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 05:23 AM
I always wonder what the Spurs could have done with MKG as a rookie since he was another high motor 3/4 tweener who had a jumper with horrible form. Still the Spurs only had two days to teach Leonard new jumper form before the lockout and to their amazement Leonard came to training camp after the lockout with that form they taught him down cold, which I doubt MKG could have pulled off training on his own in the lockout after two days of training from the team.
As good as I think the Spurs are at developing talent, I have never seen a player progress like Kawhi. The Spurs deserve some credit for sure, but Kawhi's improvement was stunning. I literally couldn't believe it as I watched it happening. I hope they have that formula ready to use on someone else.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 07:19 AM

I almost think that people who show out about thing aren’t those things. Like Ja with his wanna be gangsta shit. You can be hyper competitive without jumping up and down and acting like a fool.

Sugus
05-21-2023, 08:11 AM
I almost think that people who show out about thing aren’t those things. Like Ja with his wanna be gangsta shit. You can be hyper competitive without jumping up and down and acting like a fool.

It's a universal human truth - insecurity is loud, confidence is silent. I also came away from re-watching the Scoot Vs Wemby highlights with the feeling that Scoot was weirdly over-invested in the matchup and forcing shit just to "show out", whilst Wemby was much calmer and collected, which showed in the 4th when Scoot started going directly and Victor. He got his shit swatted easily, twice.

People call it "little brother syndrome", "short guy syndrome", whatever. It's just insecurity. It's a massive difference between both players and no doubt it'll play into their careers, and why I'm not interested in overpaying for Scoot at all.

RC_Drunkford
05-21-2023, 08:38 AM
Slow it down. Take it easy. Even if Wemby is a solid block, we still won't be building Rome in one day. Wemby's teammates still won't be able to defend or shoot, so we will win about 30 games and get to pick relatively early next year. Listen to what Portland wants for their pick, but if it's too crazy, don't force it.

we would've won 30 games last season easily if we didn't sit everybody to make sure we lose

05-21-2023, 01:58 PM
Secretly preferred the #2 pick to get Scoot. He fills a giant hole at point guard, has superstar potential, plays competitively every minute, and has a large chip on his shoulder being perpetually behind Wemby. Wemby will have injury concerns and will have to beat heavy odds to have a 10+ year healthy career in the NBA. Can't not take the gamble on Wemby but going #2 would have forced the Spurs to pick Scoot.

JPB
05-21-2023, 02:03 PM
Most mock drafts have him at 3 now, behind Miller.

Btw speaking of Money, Henderson has a massive 7 year contract with Puma. Not sure, he would have gotten that as an NCAA player.

rascal
05-21-2023, 02:33 PM
Most mock drafts have him at 3 now, behind Miller.

Btw speaking of Money, Henderson has a massive 7 year contract with Puma. Not sure, he would have gotten that as an NCAA player.

Charlotte will screw it up and take Miller. Miller is going to be a bust.

Leave Portland with the better trade asset.

JeffDuncan
05-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Instead if trying to get Scoot, I’d throw all available resources toward getting Tyrese Haliburton.

lefty20
05-21-2023, 06:56 PM
Instead if trying to get Scoot, I’d throw all available resources toward getting Tyrese Haliburton.

He is Indy's franchise ticket. It would take a King's ransom.. and then some prolly.

rankingtear
05-22-2023, 10:12 AM
Don't buy the hype, this kid was shut down by the ignite program because he got worst the more he plays. He retained his ranking cause everyone was also awful. I think you look at this like the 2021 class, just get guys who would translate, I think this is why Hendricks who did not even make the tourney is top 10.

Mr. Body
05-22-2023, 10:43 AM
Charlotte will screw it up and take Miller. Miller is going to be a bust.

Leave Portland with the better trade asset.

I agree for once. I think Miller isn't going to be great. A lot of Jabari Smith there.

Mr. Body
05-22-2023, 10:44 AM
Don't buy the hype, this kid was shut down by the ignite program because he got worst the more he plays. He retained his ranking cause everyone was also awful. I think you look at this like the 2021 class, just get guys who would translate, I think this is why Hendricks who did not even make the tourney is top 10.

Maybe we need to admit G-League Ignite isn't as good as we think it is. Maybe we need to adjust for hype.

couchman
05-22-2023, 01:31 PM
The days of prospects showing up ready to play at an all star level on day 1 are over.
The real adjustment needs to be in people's expectations for rookies. That includes Wemby. He's ridiculously talented, but oh so raw

Almost everyone being drafted nowadays in the lottery is a teenager and still developing/raw.
What you look for in the younger guys is whether they have unique and game changing traits that can make them elite players once they develop.
You also look at whether they have the personality, work ethic, etc, to develop to their full potential.

Scoot has numerous unique and game changing traits.
He has a ridiculous 6'9" wingspan for someone 6'2".
He is also an elite athlete, with a lot of strength, speed, and power, but most impressively, he has elite quickness that gets him into the lane at will.
I consider his personality to also be a unique and positive trait. He expects greatness from himself. He is obviously a hard worker and he seems like someone who won't stop working until his reality matches his expectations.
Skills are the kind of thing that you can hopefully develop atop the unique traits.
He already has great handle.
He also has some creative finishing moves and a mid-range game. Those can get better but we see the foundations there.
What needs work is his outside shot. As Spurs fans know, that can happen for most players with enough work. Bowen, Kawhi, and many others Spurs have developed that shot while in Silver & Black

exstatic
05-22-2023, 02:16 PM
The days of prospects showing up ready to play at an all star level on day 1 are over.
The real adjustment needs to be in people's expectations for rookies. That includes Wemby. He's ridiculously talented, but oh so raw

Almost everyone being drafted nowadays in the lottery is a teenager and still developing/raw.
What you look for in the younger guys is whether they have unique and game changing traits that can make them elite players once they develop.
You also look at whether they have the personality, work ethic, etc, to develop to their full potential.

Scoot has numerous unique and game changing traits.
He has a ridiculous 6'9" wingspan for someone 6'2".
He is also an elite athlete, with a lot of strength, speed, and power, but most impressively, he has elite quickness that gets him into the lane at will.
I consider his personality to also be a unique and positive trait. He expects greatness from himself. He is obviously a hard worker and he seems like someone who won't stop working until his reality matches his expectations.
Skills are the kind of thing that you can hopefully develop atop the unique traits.
He already has great handle.
He also has some creative finishing moves and a mid-range game. Those can get better but we see the foundations there.
What needs work is his outside shot. As Spurs fans know, that can happen for most players with enough work. Bowen, Kawhi, and many others Spurs have developed that shot while in Silver & Black

You got almost everything wrong in your post.

By NBA standards, which is what we should be using as a measuring stick, he is NOT an elite athlete. Every draft analyst I've read makes it clear that he is NOT in the Rose/Westbrook/Wall/Ja category, but below it.

He's also an average to below average finisher in a league nearly devoid of shot blocking. His 2p%, 3p%, FT% and TS% are all rated as negatives. He SHOOTS a lot of midrange shots, but makes them at a poor rate.

couchman
05-22-2023, 05:12 PM
You got almost everything wrong in your post.

By NBA standards, which is what we should be using as a measuring stick, he is NOT an elite athlete. Every draft analyst I've read makes it clear that he is NOT in the Rose/Westbrook/Wall/Ja category, but below it.

He's also an average to below average finisher in a league nearly devoid of shot blocking. His 2p%, 3p%, FT% and TS% are all rated as negatives. He SHOOTS a lot of midrange shots, but makes them at a poor rate.

Not an elite athlete huh?
He passes the eye test to me and there are a ton of articles citing scouts who say he is.
I guess we'll see when he steps on the court next season.

thiste
05-22-2023, 05:24 PM
No.

venitian navigator
05-23-2023, 06:18 AM
Imho all depends by Spurs evaluation of Scoot. Because if they see him as a sure thing and a generational starting point guard of the future the moment to choose him is now... It's in fact difficult to find out a situation where the number 2 and 3 of draft night are in fact possibly available because the drafting teams already have a point guard they're committed to... And this year we have all the chances to complete our roster with other players considering our cap space, our rights on our not signed players and our amount of picks...

Dejounte
05-23-2023, 06:36 AM
Before he’s played one game, we need to “admit” he’s no good. Get your head out of your fucking ass.

Dejounte
05-23-2023, 06:38 AM
Basketball “know-it-all’s” who spend their whole day on a forum making a comment on every topic as possible as if people want your opinion on nearly fucking everything. Jesus Christ.

Kevin
05-23-2023, 02:08 PM
What would it take for the Spurs to convince the Raptors to trade Siakam for a bundle of assets rather than Scoot in a three team trade with Portland?

If I were the Spurs I'd offer Dev, the Poeltl first rounder back to the Rap, the Spurs first round pick in next years draft unprotected plus one of the unprotected Atlanta picks. Simons and his questionable contract go to the Spurs while the Raps shed about 24 million in payroll while also taking back Nasir Little and Keon Johnson from Portland as salary filler.

exstatic
05-23-2023, 02:29 PM
What would it take for the Spurs to convince the Raptors to trade Siakam for a bundle of assets rather than Scoot in a three team trade with Portland?

If I were the Spurs I'd offer Dev, the Poeltl first rounder back to the Rap, the Spurs first round pick in next years draft unprotected plus one of the unprotected Atlanta picks. Simons and his questionable contract go to the Spurs while the Raps shed about 24 million in payroll while also taking back Nasir Little and Keon Johnson from Portland as salary filler.

There’s no way Anthony Simons is worth 1/4 of that haul.

Kevin
05-23-2023, 02:32 PM
There’s no way Anthony Simons is worth 1/4 of that haul.

The Spurs get Scoot and Simons while the Blazers get Siakam.

exstatic
05-23-2023, 02:41 PM

You don’t trade unprotected picks for non All Stars, and certainly not for non proven, non #1 picks.

spurraider21
05-23-2023, 02:46 PM

way too much

Kevin
05-23-2023, 02:47 PM
You don’t trade unprotected picks for non All Stars, and certainly not for non proven, non #1 picks.

Well to be fair all picks are unproven so that also must be held against future unprotected picks too.

Gagnrath
05-27-2023, 01:19 PM

Derrick is weird as hell with the Celtics when you watch that team. He isn't their third best player brogdan is. He might not even be 4th. However he determines weather or not they win games. If he is able to get to his spots either he scores or he gets someone else a good shot. Jaylen Brown is the second best player he very rarely wins a game because he doesn't facilitate the rest of the offense. White basically is a guy who if you have two good big defensive guards you stop the Celtics. You also want to put the better defender on White not Brown, Jaylen is going to get his 15+ if he's only so so efficient at it you stop Celtics ball movement. If white is tied up and under 15 and 5 their offense withers. Derrick White is far more of an asset than most people and teams realize. He is the NBA equivalent of a Gerber multi tool at wing. Pick a wing role he will fill it to an above average level while being a good teammate. He isn't a number 1 for any team but what he does do is maximize the role players on the team and take a lot of pressure off of the star players. Derrick White is what you get if you put Tim Duncan's brain in Many Ginobli's body... Is it a star? No but its useful as hell 1-3 any time you don't have an all star handy.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-27-2023, 01:43 PM
Derrick is weird as hell with the Celtics when you watch that team. He isn't their third best player brogdan is. He might not even be 4th. However he determines weather or not they win games. If he is able to get to his spots either he scores or he gets someone else a good shot. Jaylen Brown is the second best player he very rarely wins a game because he doesn't facilitate the rest of the offense. White basically is a guy who if you have two good big defensive guards you stop the Celtics. You also want to put the better defender on White not Brown, Jaylen is going to get his 15+ if he's only so so efficient at it you stop Celtics ball movement. If white is tied up and under 15 and 5 their offense withers. Derrick White is far more of an asset than most people and teams realize. He is the NBA equivalent of a Gerber multi tool at wing. Pick a wing role he will fill it to an above average level while being a good teammate. He isn't a number 1 for any team but what he does do is maximize the role players on the team and take a lot of pressure off of the star players. Derrick White is what you get if you put Tim Duncan's brain in Many Ginobli's body... Is it a star? No but its useful as hell 1-3 any time you don't have an all star handy.

DAF86
05-27-2023, 01:47 PM

Mmh, what? :lol

How is any combination of Duncan and Ginobili not a star, when both on their own were? :lol

Mr. Body
05-27-2023, 01:48 PM

Absolutely. Brad Stevens did the right thing going for White. The Celtics offense is poster child of boring, repetitive, one-note American AAU-style offenses nowadays. They just spam isolation attacks from Tatum and Brown, both of whom can be really hard to stop. But if you stop them, they have nothing else. Literally, after years in the league, nothing else.

White is able to circulate the ball, find other modes and areas of attack, actually move the defenses and make defenders take snap decisions about what to do. He was a genius pick-up. IMO, they needed to keep going in that direction, especially since Mazzula seems to be clueless in offensive sets. They should have gone harder after Poeltl, who is now an excellent high-post and roll-man facilitator.

They would do best to S&T Brown, who I believe is about to become the most expensive player in the league. No way is he worth that. Better to get pieces that work and fit better.

DAF86
05-27-2023, 03:18 PM
I really like the idea of pairing the two suppossed generational talents of this draft, but I wouldn't give up the entire farm to make it happen, tbh. I think the absolute most I would give up is Keldon, the Hornets pick and an unprotected 1st. I don't know if that would be enough to get #2.

buttsR4rebounding
05-27-2023, 04:40 PM
I really like the idea of pairing the two suppossed generational talents of this draft, but I wouldn't give up the entire farm to make it happen, tbh. I think the absolute most I would give up is Keldon, the Hornets pick and an unprotected 1st. I don't know if that would be enough to get #2.

We could sweeten it with 1-4 SRPs to grease the wheels as well.

RC_Drunkford
05-27-2023, 06:42 PM
Derrick White is a championship level role player. One of those guys you need on a championship team

JPB
05-27-2023, 06:59 PM
Nah, Keep Scoot away from Wemby. He'll be toxic and want to prove he's da man, before looking to leave for a big market to get his own team.

spursparker9
05-27-2023, 09:16 PM
Alpha Scoot will be jealous of Wemby getting selected with No. 1 pick and angry at Spurs for not taking him at No. 1

Probably be toxic to the whole team.

Skip

rascal
05-27-2023, 09:28 PM
Absolutely. Brad Stevens did the right thing going for White. The Celtics offense is poster child of boring, repetitive, one-note American AAU-style offenses nowadays. They just spam isolation attacks from Tatum and Brown, both of whom can be really hard to stop. But if you stop them, they have nothing else. Literally, after years in the league, nothing else.

White is able to circulate the ball, find other modes and areas of attack, actually move the defenses and make defenders take snap decisions about what to do. He was a genius pick-up. IMO, they needed to keep going in that direction, especially since Mazzula seems to be clueless in offensive sets. They should have gone harder after Poeltl, who is now an excellent high-post and roll-man facilitator.

They would do best to S&T Brown, who I believe is about to become the most expensive player in the league. No way is he worth that. Better to get pieces that work and fit better.

Boston is going to come back from that 0-3 and go on to win the title.

rascal
05-27-2023, 09:32 PM

Only thing I would not want to trade is the Atlanta unprotected picks. Those are gold. Instead throw in the Char and Chi picks.

rascal
05-27-2023, 09:36 PM
Derrick White is a championship level role player. One of those guys you need on a championship team

I see Andre Jackson as that type of role player that the Spurs should target with their 33 pick.

Second rounders are great for those type of players while first round lottery picks you swing for the highest all star potential upside type of players.

Gagnrath
05-28-2023, 06:00 AM
Mmh, what? :lol

How is any combination of Duncan and Ginobili not a star, when both on their own were? :lol

Because you aren't taking the primary attributes that made them stars there. Duncan especially fairly early in his career was somewhat questioned because of his nice guy cerebral personality and methodical be good at all aspects especially small stuff approach. Ginobli wasn't a star because of his supreme physical attributes, he was a star because of his will to win and his ability to see holes openings and unconventional plays that usually worked.

DAF86
05-28-2023, 10:02 AM
Because you aren't taking the primary attributes that made them stars there. Duncan especially fairly early in his career was somewhat questioned because of his nice guy cerebral personality and methodical be good at all aspects especially small stuff approach. Ginobli wasn't a star because of his supreme physical attributes, he was a star because of his will to win and his ability to see holes openings and unconventional plays that usually worked.

So you tried to compliment White by saying he has the combination of some of the worst qualities of other players? Weird, tbh. :lol

R. DeMurre
05-28-2023, 10:34 AM
White works with Boston because he's the ultimate glue guy/connector, and gives them a 5 man unit where there's no weak link to attack. When he was with the Spurs, opponents could always find a defensive weak link (and often more than one) like DeRozen, Mills, Forbes, etc... With those Spurs, there just wasn't enough to glue together or connect.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-28-2023, 02:34 PM

Gagnrath
05-29-2023, 09:17 AM
So you tried to compliment White by saying he has the combination of some of the worst qualities of other players? Weird, tbh. :lol

Wasn't a compliment but an observation, saying a person shrugs likes W. Bush isn't a compliment or a put down, it just lets people know that they raise both arms when they shrug in front of them. It lets others know about the attributes of a lesser known person by informing the listener that the subjects listed attribute is similar to the better known person's.

Mr. Body
05-29-2023, 02:43 PM
I am fascinated to see who gets Scoot. I feel like Charlotte takes him, but if he drops to Portland there's going to be a frenzy of offers. There may be a lot of offers for the 3 regardless, which is crazy to me.

KobesAchilles
05-29-2023, 02:47 PM
I’m all out on Scoot now. We got Wemby. Fuck Scoot. We need a shooter as our PG

BatManu20
05-29-2023, 02:51 PM
Charlotte will take Scoot. Especially with all these reports of Brandon Miller looking out of shape in workouts and interviewing poorly at the Combine.

exstatic
05-29-2023, 03:34 PM
I am fascinated to see who gets Scoot. I feel like Charlotte takes him, but if he drops to Portland there's going to be a frenzy of offers. There may be a lot of offers for the 3 regardless, which is crazy to me.

No player at 3 is going to help Dame right now. Word before the draft was that they would move it if it wasn’t #1.

Kevin
05-29-2023, 04:11 PM
If they Hornets are open to trading their pick here's my offer to the them.

Spurs Get:

2nd Pick.
Gordon Hayward.

Hornets Get:

Keldon Johnson.
Hornets get their own first rounder back from the Spurs.
Spurs 2024 first round pick unprotected.
Hawks 2025 First round pick unprotected.

Spurs get Scoot and create long term cap space by trading Keldon.

Hornets get a young cost controlled SF, regain control of their own first round pick plus two unprotected firsts while shedding over 12 million dollars off their tax bill.

I know the inclusion of a second unprotected first feels like an overpay but the Hornets probably say no without it.

mo7888
05-29-2023, 04:15 PM

Spurs Get:

2nd Pick.
Gordon Hayward.

Hornets Get:

Keldon Johnson.

Hornets get a young cost controlled SF, regain control of their own first round pick plus two unprotected firsts while shedding over 12 million dollars off their tax bill.

I know the inclusion of a second unprotected first feels like an overpay but the Hornets probably say no without it.

That's too much...I love Scoot, but not at that price...

Mr. Body
05-29-2023, 05:33 PM
No player at 3 is going to help Dame right now. Word before the draft was that they would move it if it wasn’t #1.

I don't think anything can help Portland. They're so screwy, but if they manage to get frontcourt help and depth for freakin' Brandon Miller, they might have a chance.

Mr. Body
05-29-2023, 05:33 PM

Spurs Get:

2nd Pick.
Gordon Hayward.

Hornets Get:

Keldon Johnson.

I wish I could downvote posts on here.

buttsR4rebounding
05-29-2023, 05:52 PM

Spurs Get:

2nd Pick.
Gordon Hayward.

Hornets Get:

Keldon Johnson.

I proposed virtually the same trade a month or so ago except I had the Chicago pick instead of an Atlanta pick. I think those are the Spurs’ most valuable picks and really would hesitate giving one up.

rascal
05-29-2023, 06:05 PM
I don't think anything can help Portland. They're so screwy, but if they manage to get frontcourt help and depth for freakin' Brandon Miller, they might have a chance.

Some team is going to make a big mistake investing a top pick in Miller.

Charlotte is my guess.
Portland is sweating it out hoping Charlotte takes Miller because more teams will line up for Scoot.

Miller has now a reason why he's not in shape, he lost weight due to having mono so Charlotte will now disregard he isn't in shape and draft him 2nd.

JPB
05-29-2023, 06:17 PM
Some team is going to make a big mistake investing a top pick in Miller.

Charlotte is my guess.
Portland is sweating it out hoping Charlotte takes Miller because more teams will line up for Scoot.

Miller has now a reason why he's not in shape, he lost weight due to having mono so Charlotte will now disregard he isn't in shape and draft him 2nd.

And he pulled a document from his lawyer to NBA FOs saying he can't talk about the shooting. I'm honestly not sure there's anything legally that prevents him to do so since he's not indicted or something. But anyway, no workouts, won't talk about the incident... Happy spurs didn't have to make that choice, pretty sure they would have passed.

DAF86
05-29-2023, 06:19 PM

Scoot's shot is looking pretty good. I think he will develop into an above average shooter.

R. DeMurre
05-29-2023, 06:26 PM
It would be such a Portland move to draft Scoot. They spent all those years trying to win pairing the 6'2" Dame with the 6'3" McCollum, then when they traded McCollum they followed up the experiment with 6'3" Anfernee Simons. Micro backcourts almost never win championships. Dame + Scoot would probably be entertaining, but it's almost guaranteed to not produce rings.

scott
05-29-2023, 06:31 PM

Spurs Get:

2nd Pick.
Gordon Hayward.

Hornets Get:

Keldon Johnson.

I think this is too rich, but not by too much. Likely just need protections on one of those two picks and then we're talking the right value.

With that said, I'm just not into the idea of pairing Scoot and Wemby. I'm happy with Tre going into this season with the mindset that all pieces on the team are subject to being upgraded when the right opportunity arises. No need to overpay to force Wemby and Scoot. Let's just be a little patient. I think we can still be a playoff team if we brought back Tre and the team pretty much was the same as it was last year. We realistically should have been closer to a 30-win team if not for the active "victory management" and our youngs will have a year's worth of development in addition to a new 7'5" teammate.

rascal
05-29-2023, 06:39 PM
Mitch Kupchak said he feels Charlotte has more talent now than they had two or three years ago so they can be picky and draft by position fit and not best available talent while two or three years ago they would definitely draft best available player.

Expect Miller in Charlotte.

baseline bum
05-29-2023, 06:42 PM
I think this is too rich, but not by too much. Likely just need protections on one of those two picks and then we're talking the right value.

With that said, I'm just not into the idea of pairing Scoot and Wemby. I'm happy with Tre going into this season with the mindset that all pieces on the team are subject to being upgraded when the right opportunity arises. No need to overpay to force Wemby and Scoot. Let's just be a little patient. I think we can still be a playoff team if we brought back Tre and the team pretty much was the same as it was last year. We realistically should have been closer to a 30-win team if not for the active "victory management" and our youngs will have a year's worth of development in addition to a new 7'5" teammate.

I really want to save those picks to go after a disgruntled vet later on. Dream scenario is Doncic of course.

scott
05-29-2023, 06:47 PM
I really want to save those picks to go after a disgruntled vet later on. Dream scenario is Doncic of course.

100%. And from the conversation on the CBA, we may be entering an era where teams need to shed some extra Max or near-Max players to make their caps work... might just play right into our hands.

KobesAchilles
05-29-2023, 09:05 PM
Scoot's shot is looking pretty good. I think he will develop into an above average shooter.
Does it? Bc in all the clips I saw of him in the GL his shot was suspect at best. Maybe he can learn to shoot but there’s a lot more examples of players not learning to shoot when they’re that athletic vs ones who do

KobesAchilles
05-29-2023, 09:07 PM
What I don’t understand is why don’t we make a run for Miller. That’s a dude that pairs perfectly with Wemby

SpursGenius
05-30-2023, 09:00 PM

This x 100

Mr. Body
05-30-2023, 09:04 PM
100%. And from the conversation on the CBA, we may be entering an era where teams need to shed some extra Max or near-Max players to make their caps work... might just play right into our hands.

And if we manage to get our pieces other than Wemby outside the high lottery, we're doing phenomenal. Getting Sochan at 9 was great.

rankingtear
05-30-2023, 10:31 PM
What I don’t understand is why don’t we make a run for Miller. That’s a dude that pairs perfectly with Wemby

Every executive is saying he goes at 2 and that pick is not available.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-31-2023, 02:26 PM
Scoot might fall to 4. The lottery didn't favor him.

JPB
05-31-2023, 03:55 PM
Keldon + 3 good FRPs for Scoot is just silly. Keep that for later... And I can't see Scoot staying SA with Wemby here... The only thing I can see the spurs doing is trading up in the 15-25 range to get a player they like (like Bilal or whoever) and try to pull another steal like they can... You just got Wemby, let's not get greedy or overexcited and sell the farm for unproven players. Stay calm.

spursparker9
06-05-2023, 10:18 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-top-three-pick-scoot-183319344.html

Scoot is only working out for Hornets and Blazers

exstatic
06-05-2023, 11:40 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-top-three-pick-scoot-183319344.html

Scoot is only working out for Hornets and Blazers

That's a recipe for a precipitous drop if Miller goes 2nd, and someone with a PG trades for Portland's pick. GMs can be vindictive. Supposedly, Keldon worked out for a number of teams, but none below like 16. He dropped to 29.

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 11:45 AM
There's a bit of chatter about Amen rising a bit. I still feel like Portland holds an auction for Scoot if he drops to 3. But they're liable to just take Amen. It's what they do.

scott
06-05-2023, 04:26 PM
Maybe the Spurs didn't request one, but I'm surprised Scoot isn't working out with us, considering that Scoot has said he feels he should be in consideration for the #1 pick.

I'm sure Spurs would love to get a free scouting session on him, but perhaps that's why Scoot won't work out with us.

pRoshi
06-05-2023, 08:20 PM
For the kind of prospect Scoot is i would trade some of the FRP for him. We would effectively get our 1-2 combo for years.

rascal
06-05-2023, 08:30 PM
Does it? Bc in all the clips I saw of him in the GL his shot was suspect at best. Maybe he can learn to shoot but there’s a lot more examples of players not learning to shoot when they’re that athletic vs ones who do

Scoot shoots better than Spurstalk favorite Black.

rascal
06-05-2023, 08:39 PM

A dynamic high volume scorer is needed to take pressure off Wemby and Scoot is that.

There are no players on the current Spurs who are skilled enough to be a go to dynamic 2nd all star level scorer to Wemby.

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 08:56 PM
Yes, let's take the ball out of Wembanyama's hands and give it to an undersized, egotistical chucker.

spurraider21
06-05-2023, 08:59 PM
lets surround wemby with ymca level talent. that way we wont ever take the ball out of his hands

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 09:00 PM
lets surround wemby with ymca level talent. that way we wont ever take the ball out of his hands

Yes, that's the only other option.

rascal
06-05-2023, 09:06 PM
Yes, let's take the ball out of Wembanyama's hands and give it to an undersized, egotistical chucker.

Wemby can't take all the shots.

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 09:09 PM
Wemby can't take all the shots.

Guess our hands are tied! We have to spend all our draft capital on a very expensive dwarf who can't play defense or shoot!

rascal
06-05-2023, 09:14 PM
Guess our hands are tied! We have to spend all our draft capital on a very expensive dwarf who can't play defense or shoot!

Hey you want Black who shoots worse and is slow compared to Scoot.

Scoot also is a better playmaker, plays faster, had double the assist numbers.

You can get other defensive players if you want to add defense at lower cost like wing defender Andre Jackson with pick 33.

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 09:16 PM
Hey you want Black who shoots worse and is slow compared to Scoot.

Scoot also is a better playmaker, plays faster, had double the assist numbers.

You can get other defensive players if you want to add defense at lower cost like wing defender Andre Jackson with pick 33.

Anthony Black is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaay better playmaker than Scoot Henderson. It's not even the same game. And Ignite assist numbers are a joke. His usage rate is around 20%, what you actually want, not some midget ballhog who just jacks up a lot of shots. I'd also say Black is more athletic than Henderson is. He's wildly overrated in that regard.

Defense, not even close. I mean, just give up on that side of the ball, I guess.

rascal
06-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Anthony Black is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaay better playmaker than Scoot Henderson. It's not even the same game. And Ignite assist numbers are a joke. His usage rate is around 20%, what you actually want, not some midget ballhog who just jacks up a lot of shots. I'd also say Black is more athletic than Henderson is. He's wildly overrated in that regard.

Defense, not even close. I mean, just give up on that side of the ball, I guess.

No he isn't a better playmaker.

Black is slow compared to Scoot and his game is better suited for college. Need quickness in the NBA.

I don't see Black as more athletic. Scoot is far more athletic. just moves quicker and plays faster.

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 09:20 PM
No he isn't a better playmaker.

Scoot isn't even a playmaker. It's just drive and kick or dump for him. There's no knowledge or understanding of how to manipulate defenses.

I mean, who gives a shit. The franchise is way smarter than this. Black might not be their guy. That's fine. Scoot Henderson is ABSOLUTELY not their guy. It's moronic to even talk about. There's not a single level from play style to personality where a rational person would want Scoot Henderson on this team.

rascal
06-05-2023, 09:22 PM
Scoot isn't even a playmaker. It's just drive and kick or dump for him. There's no knowledge or understanding of how to manipulate defenses.

I mean, who gives a shit. The franchise is way smarter than this. Black might not be their guy. That's fine. Scoot Henderson is ABSOLUTELY not their guy. It's moronic to even talk about. There's not a single level from play style to personality where a rational person would want Scoot Henderson on this team.

If the Spurs landed at 2 Scoot would be their pick.

scott
06-05-2023, 09:23 PM

Definitely feel this. At this point, I think if the Spurs were realistically going to try to make a big move back to the top of the draft (which I don’t think they are or will), it would probably only be for Amen.

cd98
06-05-2023, 09:47 PM
Spurs don't have the assets to trade to get the number 2 or 3 pick. They MIGHT be able to get Amen, but I still think that it is highly unlikely. Why is someone going to trade the 5-7 picks for first rounders that could be out of the lottery years into the future with no guarantee of better prospects than Amen. You have to trade proven talent that is still young to get a trade in that range, I think.

Ice009
06-05-2023, 10:25 PM
Funnily enough. I agree with every single one of these points. All very good points. Just not sure how to build the perfect team around Victor.

A dynamic high volume scorer is needed to take pressure off Wemby and Scoot is that.

There are no players on the current Spurs who are skilled enough to be a go to dynamic 2nd all star level scorer to Wemby.

I would like this, but just not sure Scoot is that player. I really would like to have someone he can grow with and take off the pressure to do so. I'm very interested in Scoot, but if he is not that player, not sure if it's worth it to give up what we'd have to to get him?

This would be a drawback. I like what Rascal said about getting a volume scorer to take some of the pressure off, but not sure who that player is. If this Spurs think it's Scoot, what do they give up to try and get that pick?

Don't want to see this happen either, so another good point.

Yes, that's the only other option.

True, it's not the only option, but I do feel the Spurs need to try and get someone to take some of the pressure/load off of VW. Even TD had players that could do that for him right off of the bat.

PhantomDashCam
06-05-2023, 10:42 PM

This feels like hyperbole.

https://youtu.be/qKn-9mgTK-A

Mr. Body
06-05-2023, 10:48 PM
This feels like hyperbole.

https://youtu.be/qKn-9mgTK-A

'masterclass' C'mon, man.

Every single one of those plays is what I said: he's looking for his shot or drive. He passes when he has to. Cross court passes are just basic passes. "master class"

KobesAchilles
06-05-2023, 10:57 PM
If we get Scoot then we better max out Klay bc we need someone who can actually shoot the 3ball in the starting line up. Scoot can’t, Wemby can’t (yet), and neither can Sochan. KJ is streaky af. Maybe Vassell. But he shoots too much midrange. I would like to up him to 10 3s a game.

scott
06-05-2023, 11:07 PM
Funnily enough. I agree with every single one of these points. All very good points. Just not sure how to build the perfect team around Victor.

I would like this, but just not sure Scoot is that player. I really would like to have someone he can grow with and take off the pressure to do so. I'm very interested in Scoot, but if he is not that player, not sure if it's worth it to give up what we'd have to to get him?

This would be a drawback. I like what Rascal said about getting a volume scorer to take some of the pressure off, but not sure who that player is. If this Spurs think it's Scoot, what do they give up to try and get that pick?

Don't want to see this happen either, so another good point.

True, it's not the only option, but I do feel the Spurs need to try and get someone to take some of the pressure/load off of VW. Even TD had players that could do that for him right off of the bat.

Honestly, if Zach Lavine could ever stay healthy, and if he had a reasonable contract… someone like him would seem like a great fit, IMO.

MI21
06-06-2023, 12:23 AM
Scoot is fucking incredible, I don't understand why he isn't 100% clearly the consensus #2 pick. Disaster franchises like Charlotte should be thankful to have the opportunity to draft him.

exstatic
06-06-2023, 06:19 AM
Scoot is fucking incredible, I don't understand why he isn't 100% clearly the consensus #2 pick. Disaster franchises like Charlotte should be thankful to have the opportunity to draft him.

Why would Charlotte want him?