PDA

View Full Version : Latest Intel as Spurs Head into the Victor Wembanyama Draft

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
06-14-2023, 11:17 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/latest-spurs-intel-victor-wembanyama-draft/

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 11:28 AM
Interesting. Prefer Black, but would be happy with either Black or Bufkin. Kobe has a lower ceiling imo, but he’s grown on me over the past couple weeks. That sweet lefty stroke and strong midrange game would be nice to have beside Wemby. He projects as a good 3-Point shooter too with with his mechanics. He shot 35% from 3 last season. Guess that means they’re targeting trading into the 6-12 range. Wonder what that would cost us tbh.

Furthermore, two different league sources I’ve spoken to say the Spurs are one of the most active teams in trade talks heading into the draft. According to the league sources, the Spurs are telling teams their preference is to trade for another first round pick. If that’s unsuccessful, San Antonio has let it be known that they want to trade away at least one of their second round picks. If the Spurs get another selection in the first round, the names I’ve heard most often when discussing that possibility with NBA scouts are Anthony Black and Kobe Bufkin.

poopbox
06-14-2023, 11:30 AM
Spurs making a push for Paul or Van Fleet...I hope not :cry

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 11:33 AM
I like that the Spurs are being aggressive instead of just sitting on those picks like OKC. I like the idea of bringing in a young guard to pair up with Wemby in the same year. Would them to grow together over their rookie contracts.

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 11:36 AM
This is kind of disappointing tbh. Dumping 44 is fine, but this draft is deep with Guards/Wings and there’s going to be a handful of good players still available at 33. I get the roster crunch, but that’s a valuable draft pick, would prefer we cash in on it instead of trading it for yet another future 2nd Rounder or two that will almost certainly be lower/less valuable picks. Trading back into the lottery to take Black or Bufkin would ease the sting though.

Keeping pick No. 33 if someone the front office likes falls into their laps is a plausible outcome. But, from what I’ve heard, keeping 33 and 44 is unlikely.

duncan2150
06-14-2023, 11:40 AM
The part with Paul or Van Vleet is interesting, i really don't think the Spurs will try to add a vet but i could see the thing now . Still look a little bit akward to have Paul Or FVV and Jones imo.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 11:40 AM
I cant really see the Spurs 1) resigning Tre, 2) trading up for a PG, and, 3) getting Paul or Van Fleet. Two of those 3 I can see, but not all 3..

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 11:42 AM
God I really hate Chris Paul. Always have. Would burn my eyes to see him in the Silver & Black tbh.

Van Vleet’s a chucker whose shot selection isn’t great either, and he’s not the greatest defender either, but he competes on that end. Raptors fans really turned on him this season as his shooting #’s dipped to the worst of his career, but I think that had more to do with him having to carry more of the load with Toronto struggling this season.

He’s still considerably better than CP3 at this point in their careers as he’s 8 years younger. I still remember him saying “Fuck Pop!” on Kawhi’s Instagram Live during their championship parade :lol

I assume CP3 will be their first target and then FVV if that doesn’t pan out.

When free agency opens, a scout for a Western Conference team believes the Spurs will make a hard push for either Chris Paul or Fred VanVleet. He posits that the opportunity to pair Wembanyama with an experienced playmaker at point guard will ultimately be impossible for San Antonio to pass up.

rankingtear
06-14-2023, 11:46 AM
Bufkin does fit their standing reach requirement for guards. Young sophomore like Devin. 50 40 guy in the last stretch of the season like Branham. Has bankable offensive skill. Creativity of a lefty.

duncan2150
06-14-2023, 11:46 AM
I cant really see the Spurs 1) resigning Tre, 2) trading up for a PG, and, 3) getting Paul or Van Fleet. Two of those 3 I can see, but not all 3..

Best thing will be 1 and 2 imo, and i prefer FVV to Paul right now. I think Paul doesn't fit with the roster timeline, FVV a little bit more.

duncan2150
06-14-2023, 11:47 AM
God I really hate Chris Paul. Always have. Would burn my eyes to see him in the Silver & Black tbh.

Van Vleet’s a chucker whose shot selection isn’t great either, and he’s not a great defender either. Raptors fans really turned on him this season as his shooting #’s dipped to the worst in his career, but I think that had more to do with him having to carry more of the load with Toronto struggling this season.

But he’s still considerably better than CP3 at this point in their careers as he’s 8 years younger. I still remember him saying “Fuck Pop!” on Kawhi’s Instagram Live during their championship parade :lol

I understand your take but FVV is a good defender, could be abused because he's small but he's a 2 stl 0.5 block guy. The biggest weakness for him is that he can't score except with 3's and some FT's.

Dejounte
06-14-2023, 11:50 AM
CP3 definitely fits the roster timeline if you want the team to grow any structure at all as opposed to last season’s “anything goes” offense.

buttsR4rebounding
So they want to re-sign Tre, draft Black or Bufkin, and sign either Paul or Van Fleet. If they look at Black/Bufkin being the long term solution then it seems signing Chris Paul would be less costly and likely shorter term commitment than Van Fleet.

BatManu20
I understand your take but FVV is a good defender, could be abused because he's small but he's a 2 stl 0.5 block guy. The biggest weakness for him is that he can't score except with 3's and some FT's.

Yea he competes on that end. He just struggles to defend quicker players, especially at his size. He’s still better than CP3, and more importantly, more reliable to actually play games. I’d gladly take him over Paul, who’s one of my most hated NBA players ever tbh. But I’m sure PATFO prefer Paul as their first option. Convincing him to come live in SA and okay for a rebuilding team is another story, but then again he did it with OKC. He’s proven he cares more about money than winning, so wouldn’t be shocking to see him come here tbh.

duncan2150
06-14-2023, 11:51 AM
CP3 definitely fits the roster timeline if you want the team to grow any structure at all as opposed to last season’s “anything goes” offense.

Having a 38 yr old PG with this young team don't make sense for me but i'm totally ok with your take about the offense . I don't see Paul coming to SA btw.

Dejounte
06-14-2023, 11:55 AM
Having a 37 yr old PG with this young team don't make sense for me but i'm totally ok with your take about the offense. I don't see Paul coming to SA btw.

I think the team is going to start piling up on old vets tbh. We don’t want Wemby around a team that’s always trying to figure itself out. The team needs an identity fast, and the idea of having the whole roster “grow up” with Wemby is a bad one. He only needs like two or three guys to grow up with. It’s not like the Spurs big 3 were all the same age to begin with. They had decent age gaps between them

lefty20
06-14-2023, 11:57 AM

Van Vleet’s a chucker whose shot selection isn’t great either, and he’s not the greatest defender either, but he competes on that end. Raptors fans really turned on him this season as his shooting #’s dipped to the worst of his career, but I think that had more to do with him having to carry more of the load with Toronto struggling this season.

He’s still considerably better than CP3 at this point in their careers as he’s 8 years younger. I still remember him saying “Fuck Pop!” on Kawhi’s Instagram Live during their championship parade :lol

Thought it was Nephew's friend, Jeremy Dingleberry, who yelled that.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 11:57 AM
Now that timvp is leaking Black and Bufkin as targets, I have to rethink whether I've been completely wrong.

Rubberducky
06-14-2023, 11:59 AM
The top free agent targets are hated Chris Paul and the guy that said “F Pop” to a camera. Awesome.

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 12:10 PM
You’re famous timvp

lefty20
06-14-2023, 12:13 PM
The top free agent targets are hated Chris Paul and the guy that said “F Pop” to a camera. Awesome.

It wasn't FVV, but he doesn't exactly discourage Jeremy either.

https://www.opencourt-basketball.com/kawhis-best-friend-screams-fk-pop-during-raptors-parade-with-kawhi-and-vanvleet/

RC_Drunkford
06-14-2023, 12:23 PM
draft night will be intersting. A lot of trades coming up. Apparently a couple of contenders like the Sixers are interested in Van Vleet, but the Spurs can offer the most money. I'd rather prefer a short term solution like CP3.

SpursFan86
06-14-2023, 12:24 PM

Yep - this was my first thought as well. I understand the need to invest in the PG position, but why in the world would we throw ~$10-15MM a year to re-sign Tre, then spend considerable draft capital to move into the 1st round to take a PG, and finally to top it off spend $20MM a year to bring in a big PG FA? Makes no sense IMO. I’d lean towards option 1 + 2 personally.

spurs1990
06-14-2023, 12:25 PM
coach getting 3 years 42mil with 0 playoffs in 4 years while Rivers and Budhenholder being shown the door.

As Derek Anderson once said - Loyalty

exstatic
06-14-2023, 12:27 PM

Remember, the CP0/Van Vleet conjecture was some OTHER WC GM, not his Spurs source.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 12:30 PM

I can see an outside possibility of all three.

- Resigning Tre is an automatic, in my opinion. Unless he somehow asks for a huge bag, he's really well fit in this team, fantastic character, and is honestly a great player.

- Only assuming trading up in this exercise. The Bufkin-type won't be ready to lead a team but will get good run.

- We've seen teams like the Knicks have success with multiple guards. Imagine a Wembanyama instead of a Randle and multiple points of attack.

- We have to spend money. The team does need veteran leadership, despite a bunch of pretty cool guys. Another option is absorbing Kyle Lowry's one year contract, if Heat is willing to do it at close to no cost.

- I honestly don't mind Chris Paul for a year or two. He does improve the play around him at least for a while.

Agree, though, that we're probably seeing either option two or three, with option one a probable gimme.

PrimeMinister
06-14-2023, 12:30 PM
glad to see LJ and spurstalk getting their flowers from the twitter normies.... its about time

FkLA
06-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Never understood the CP3 hate. Wouldn't be opposed to a short term deal.

The issue isn't his fit but whether he would even consider the Spurs, imo.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 12:35 PM
Not mentioned is what the team might be willing to use to get another pick. No current players mentioned.

It does suggest the 33 would be used if another first isn't available. Those of us who've said they will be aggressive have probably been on the right track.

With a strong, coordinating veteran point guard, I do also see this as a possible playoff team. The squad itself will be much improved - and I don't think we have a hang yet of how good Wembanyama actually is going to be - but the WC is looking distressed. Only Denver seems like a playoff lock. Sacramento and OKC and then not many 'locks' at all.

Excessive Egotist
06-14-2023, 12:35 PM
In order to guarantee Black, the Spurs probably have to move to 6 or 7. I'm not sure how to value those picks, but the Spurs could certainly put together a compelling offer.

Some combination of Keldon Johnson, Blake Wesley, one unprotected Atlanta pick (or any number of lesser value FRPs) and some number of SRPs....we could put together a package to get to 3 or 4, in fact. If we move to 6 or 7 for Black, I hope we don't overpay. I'd rather keep the picks than overpay.

I wonder if the Black leak is misdirection. I would have guessed Amen Thompson would be San Antonio's target.

It feels great to sit at the top of the draft and simultaneously possess enough disposable assets to acquire another lottery pick.

JPB
06-14-2023, 12:38 PM
No offense to Timvp but how exactly would other GMs , scouts or executives know who spurs would be targeting? That's pure speculation, guessing not information. If anything spurs are creating smoke screens.... Black is spurs material so Spurs would be interested in him... they certainly are in a vaccum, and would maybe trade up in the 20s for him, but not for the prize it would cost in the top 10... I mean when was the last time whe knew who spurs were really targeting?

Who knows, maybe Timvp is part of the smoke screens...:eyebrows

Leetonidas
06-14-2023, 12:41 PM
I really, really have trouble believing the Spurs are interested in Van Vleet. CP3, definitely. But FVV? I don't see it

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 12:46 PM
It wasn't FVV, but he doesn't exactly discourage Jeremy either.

https://www.opencourt-basketball.com/kawhis-best-friend-screams-fk-pop-during-raptors-parade-with-kawhi-and-vanvleet/

Upon review, I think you’re right. Always thought it was FVV who said it, but doesn’t sound like his voice. He does laugh when Kawhi’s friend says it though :lol

wI9A28Ic3ms

rjv
06-14-2023, 12:47 PM
even if that scout was right, CP3 is likely going to chase a ring, which would rule out SA.

BacktoBasics
06-14-2023, 12:50 PM

The issue isn't his fit but whether he would even consider the Spurs, imo.He’s not the locker room guy people make him out to be. He’s a spoiled brat that wants all the attention of superstar while being injured half the season and generally doesn’t do shit in the playoffs. Especially at this point in his career.

I don’t see him as an asset at all. He’s not worth it.

Joseph Kony
Now that timvp is leaking Black and Bufkin as targets, I have to rethink whether I've been completely wrong.

iF yOu SeE tHe TiGeR yOuRe NoT tHe PrEy

quit huffing your own farts dipshit

Aggie Hoopsfan
If Pop were a player he'd be the second highest paid Spurs. Clown world.

LkrFan
06-14-2023, 12:54 PM

Early load management? :wow

baseline bum
06-14-2023, 01:02 PM

The issue isn't his fit but whether he would even consider the Spurs, imo.

He could have come in 2017 and his flipping the script to force the trade to Houston instead locked the Spurs into giving Gasol that ridiculous three year extension.

baseline bum
06-14-2023, 01:07 PM

Do you think it would be worth the cost to trade up to the 6-9 range you'd need to be in to get Black? Think I'd rather hold onto those Atlanta picks and the Atlanta and Boston swaps to make a move for a star in a year or two if Victor progresses as we're expecting.

barakz21
06-14-2023, 01:08 PM
Man, I know the draft is 8 days away but I can’t wait to see Wemby with a Spurs hat on.

And maybe a second first rounder? Who knows.

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 01:11 PM
Purely speculation of course, but I feel like PATFO really like Anthony Black and would be willing to offer a considerable package to move up and grab him tbh, say to Orlando at #6 or Washington at #7, assuming he’s still available. Was just announced an hour ago that the Wizards are looking to trade Bradley Beal, so they’re obviously going full rebuild mode, and would probably consider a package of multiple draft picks.

But either way, Black’s game just fits what the Spurs want. He’s got great upside to go with his already great size at 6’6, his already great defense, and his advanced feel for the game. He’s a high character kid, he fills a position of need, and I think they believe they can fix his jumper. Idk, could be wrong obv, but he’s the guy I think they wanna target if they indeed are able to trade up into that 6-8 range. Won’t be cheap though. But I like him enough to be happy giving up multiple picks tbh.

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 01:15 PM

Yea Pop making $14M/per to coach a rebuilding team is pretty nuts, but it’s Pop, and the contract Detroit just gave Monty Williams set the market. And Spurs really want Pop back now I’m assuming with Wemby in the mix, so I get it. A 3-year deal helps bridge the gap to Steve Kerr or Bud or whoever they end up handing the reins to.

JPB
06-14-2023, 01:17 PM

5 rings, baby.

LeBowen
06-14-2023, 01:18 PM
Having to watch CP0 in Spurs uniform would have a worse impact on my enthusiasm to watch games than Bryn returning.

I'd take FVV only if it's a 3 year deal.

buttsR4rebounding
06-14-2023, 01:26 PM
Having to watch CP0 in Spurs uniform would have a worse impact on my enthusiasm to watch games than Bryn returning.

I'd take FVV only if it's a 3 year deal.

You can probably get CP3 on a 2 or 3 year deal with enough money, but Van Fleet is signing a 4-year deal with the 4th year a player option almost for sure. You can probably get Paul for 3/90 with the 3rd year partially guaranteed.

CorrectCrusader
06-14-2023, 01:27 PM
In order to guarantee Black, the Spurs probably have to move to 6 or 7. I'm not sure how to value those picks, but the Spurs could certainly put together a compelling offer.

Some combination of Keldon Johnson, Blake Wesley, one unprotected Atlanta pick (or any number of lesser value FRPs) and some number of SRPs....we could put together a package to get to 3 or 4, in fact. If we move to 6 or 7 for Black, I hope we don't overpay. I'd rather keep the picks than overpay.

I wonder if the Black leak is misdirection. I would have guessed Amen Thompson would be San Antonio's target.

It feels great to sit at the top of the draft and simultaneously possess enough disposable assets to acquire another lottery pick.

Would they? From what I've read Black is one of the most controversial players in the top 10. Maybe the org knows what teams want him / don't and think they can get him later ala Malakhi

JPB
06-14-2023, 01:30 PM
Purely speculation of course, but I feel like PATFO really like Anthony Black and would be willing to offer a considerable package to move up and grab him tbh, say to Orlando at #6 or Washington at #7, assuming he’s still available. Was just announced an hour ago that the Wizards are looking to trade Bradley Beal, so they’re obviously going full rebuild mode, and would probably consider a package of multiple draft picks.

But either way, Black’s game just fits what the Spurs want. He’s got great upside to go with his already great size at 6’6, his already great defense, and his advanced feel for the game. He’s a high character kid, he fills a position of need, and I think they believe they can fix his jumper. Idk, could be wrong obv, but he’s the guy I think they wanna target if they indeed are able to trade up into that 6-8 range. Won’t be cheap though. But I like him enough to be happy giving up multiple picks tbh.

To make it very simple, the equation could be: Black or Luka?

I like him, but no way I see spurs trading up to the 6th (or higher ) spot to get him. First because, he' isn't worth it, thats Anthony Black people not MJ and he has played 0 NBA games, secondly because the FPRs and assets you lose for Anthony freaking Black may cost you a (real) second star...

That's just when you won a huge hand (Wemby) at a poker table after going all in (tanking) and you feel like putting half of your stack on the table with an average hand because you're happy-happy, then you lose and don't have enough cash to drain the table on the next hand with a royal flush... We just got Wemby. Easy, cool. Bring some experience and keep the cash for the royal flush (Luka or whoever). Lets' not get oveverexcited and see gems everywhere. Spurs need certitudes now around Victor.

BacktoBasics
06-14-2023, 01:31 PM

I have issue overpaying with picks. As long as we don’t move any core players. This is the wrong time to move Keldon. I’m fine with moving any other lower level players and picks if need be. I think it’ll take 2 firsts and a second plus a bench player.

I don’t see Black falling past Washington unless someone makes an unlikely slip.

RC_Drunkford
06-14-2023, 01:36 PM
timvp the best Spurs insider source out there

RC_Drunkford
06-14-2023, 01:37 PM
I have issue overpaying with picks. As long as we don’t move any core players. This is the wrong time to move Keldon. I’m fine with moving any other lower level players and picks if need be. I think it’ll take 2 firsts and a second plus a bench player.

I don’t see Black falling past Washington unless someone makes an unlikely slip.

the Wizards are probably going to do a full rebuild and trade Beal though. So they a candidate to move up. Spurs could get involved in a lot of 3 team deals

Degoat
06-14-2023, 01:47 PM
Here’s hoping we truly are going for another Lottery pick, seems like every year they say we’re one of the most active teams aiming to move up though. Black or Kobi would be so sick

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 01:51 PM
If there's a year to move up, this is it. They have the assets and there are at least a couple of nice players that are IMO underseeded in terms of where they will go.

The 6 or 7 might be available, but would IMO require Keldon Johnson. While I feel he was the next guy in the move-him-to-a-better-team train, we now are the better team. But I do feel that Orlando and Indiana would think about a Keldon + a pick.

Much more likely is the 10 or 11 or something later. Thing is, Spurs only really have Keldon or Collins to trade and I don't think Collins is on the table. It would have to be picks.

Then there's always the 'Spurs throw out smokescreens, not real signals' thing.

ducks
06-14-2023, 02:04 PM
Leonard if asked by Chris Paul about spurs medical staff
He will run

Yeah

Crazymaddopeyo
06-14-2023, 02:06 PM
I like the idea of adding cp3 or van vleet. Obviously the goal there is not necessary to win a championship but to bring structure and someone to teach Wemby the ropes.

The Truth #6
06-14-2023, 02:06 PM
Who knows, maybe these rumors/smokescreens sent out via Timvp are to let VW know we are trying to “win now” (his goal) as a way to make him feel like we’re not sitting back. So, given the FO’s history of secrecy, hard to say what to make of these rumors. Could be spin. Don’t get me wrong, I like Black and Buffkin, but enough to trade Keldon and more than one first round draft pick?? It’s hard to say either of those players will be better than Keldon.

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 02:08 PM
Yea Black is about the only player in the lottery I’d be willing to trade assets for personally. If they deem it too expensive and decide to instead trade up into the early teens for Bufkin, so be it. I’d still be happy with that too, as long as we don’t overpay for him. But I agree that this is the year to trade up for a PG if we’re going to do it.

MultiTroll
06-14-2023, 02:09 PM
"I watched Monaco a couple times in person this year and they’re a talented, tough-minded team with a handful of players who have NBA level abilities. There’s no shame in losing to that bunch."

I thought someone (Bruno?) posted they 'have a couple NBA players.'

exstatic
06-14-2023, 02:11 PM
Yea Black is about the only player in the lottery I’d be willing to trade assets for personally. If they deem it too expensive and decide to instead trade up into the early teens for Bufkin, so be it. I’d still be happy with that too, as long as we don’t overpay for him. But I agree that this is the year to trade up for a PG if we’re going to do it.

Early teens = Lottery.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 02:13 PM
Who knows, maybe these rumors/smokescreens sent out via Timvp are to let VW know we are trying to “win now” (his goal) as a way to make him feel like we’re not sitting back. So, given the FO’s history of secrecy, hard to say what to make of these rumors. Could be spin. Don’t get me wrong, I like Black and Buffkin, but enough to trade Keldon and more than one first round draft pick?? It’s hard to say either of those players will be better than Keldon.

The value of veterans is really high, though. I could see the team trying to pick up Mills or even Batum, both of whom are on the last year of their contracts. McDermott and Graham seem like exceptional dudes to have, if they remain.

It's not just having players who are great locker room guys, who show how to prepare every day, stay even keeled, eat well, all that stuff. And the team is already filled with good kids, it seems. But having good veteran play actually on the floor is a step up from having good bench guys. I'm skeptical about Paul or another big name, but having a fella who can be emulated in tight game situations is vastly better than a bunch of 20 and 23 year olds trying to figure it out by themselves or waiting for the next time out.

MultiTroll
06-14-2023, 02:16 PM
"I’ve been told that he has stated a strong preference that the team re-signs Tre Jones.
Even if Jones isn’t a long-term solution (https://www.spurstalk.com/reevaluating-spurs-roster-after-victor-wembanyama/) as a starting point guard, Popovich is said to value what Jones brings to the locker room and views him as a fearless competitor who can positively impact winning."

Pops Pets nonsense needed to end 23 years ago.
But now moving fwd it cannot be entertained, period.
If Trey is the best PG the Spurs can roll with, so be it.

If you can get a better PG, including a young un who will be better then Tre soon, you do it.

Also stop with the CPO nonsense. :lol

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 02:20 PM
Early teens = Lottery.

True lol. Meant Top-10*. Bufkin prob goes in the 11-15 range.

Kirbyk21
06-14-2023, 02:21 PM

Any insights into what veteran or the position Spurs are looking at in the trade market?

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 02:22 PM
"I’ve been told that he has stated a strong preference that the team re-signs Tre Jones.
Even if Jones isn’t a long-term solution (https://www.spurstalk.com/reevaluating-spurs-roster-after-victor-wembanyama/) as a starting point guard, Popovich is said to value what Jones brings to the locker room and views him as a fearless competitor who can positively impact winning."

Pops Pets nonsense needed to end 23 years ago.
But now moving fwd it cannot be entertained, period.
If Trey is the best PG the Spurs can roll with, so be it.

If you can get a better PG, including a young un who will be better then Tre soon, you do it.

Also stop with the CPO nonsense. :lol

Trae is a good backup PG who can fill in as a situational starter. He’s improved considerably over the past 3 seasons. He’s a heady player who’s a good culture fit in the locker room. I have no issue with Pop wanting him back, so long as we don’t vastly overpay for him and Pop doesn’t give him minutes over a potential Rookie PG with more potential, say Black or Bufkin.

spurs10
06-14-2023, 02:23 PM
I reckon Paul will be chasing a ring and not willing to be a 'teacher' for our new addition. I like the idea of trade up for Black or Bufkin. Now is the time.

MultiTroll
06-14-2023, 02:27 PM
I have no issue with Pop wanting him back, so long as he doesn’t give him minutes over a potential Rookie PG with more potential, say Black or Bufkin.
Recent history doesn't bode well.
Patty Mills.
Bryn Bryn Fobes.

Can Pop be trusted to play the most deserving players in this twice-in-a-lifetime Timmy Duncan II chance?
I wish i could say yes and i hope the answer turns out to be yes.
As long as he's being monitored and someone will step in and rule out favoritism and idiot moves, fine.

I'd much rather a kick ass PG be found sooner rather then later.

Bruno
06-14-2023, 02:29 PM
“He’s that type of player and, more importantly, that type of person.”

That's another great aspect of Wembanyama that makes him even more the real deal.

I should have watched a couple of hours of Wembanyama various interviews, which is way enough to go past any potential BS talk put in his mouth by agents, and he is also damn impressive off the court. At 19 years old, he is mature, ambitious/confident without being cocky, focused, smart and with a tremendous work ethic.

The fact that he is coming from a basketball family is also very important. He wasn't a kid that played basketball because he was tall. You can feel that he truly loves this game and wants to understand every nuance of it. Wembanyama put also a huge focus on his physical training which isn't surprising with his dad being a former physical trainer for teams in France.

Wembanyama knows he is something special and has the upside of becoming one of greatest. He is committed to reach his highest level possible. He won't become lazy/happy. He just has that drive.

CorrectCrusader
06-14-2023, 02:31 PM
That's another great aspect of Wembanyama that makes him even more the real deal.

I should have watched a couple of hours of Wembanyama various interviews, which is way enough to go past any potential BS talk put in his mouth by agents, and he is also damn impressive off the court. At 19 years old, he is mature, ambitious/confident without being cocky, focused, smart and with a tremendous work ethic.

What not growing up with U.S. hoodrat culture does for you

manufan10
06-14-2023, 02:33 PM
Vegas has the Spurs with the best odds to land CP3.

Spurs Homer
06-14-2023, 02:39 PM
Big disconnect between what spurs officials hinted at…

and

a “western conference” dude

also PLEASE no chrissy paul

hes done-period.

Bruno
06-14-2023, 02:40 PM
Trading pick #44 for cash only won't be a big deal, but it would be lame as hell. Spurs are already the team with the lowest payroll. Ownership doesn't need a couple of $M.

They could use one of the three two-way spot on pick #44 or draft and stash someone. Even if this player has, let's say, a 5% odd to turn into an useful player, it would still be a way better move. What is sure is "cash" has a 0% odd to turn into an useful player.

exstatic
06-14-2023, 02:44 PM
Big disconnect between what spurs officials hinted at…

and

a “western conference” dude

also PLEASE no chrissy paul

hes done-period.

People keep missing that timvp references other sources than the Spurs, an anonymous EC GM, an anonymous WC GM. Reading for context is everything.

scott
06-14-2023, 02:45 PM
Sometimes I wonder if timvp just likes to include some catnip for the forum in his articles :lol

KobesAchilles
06-14-2023, 02:47 PM
We shouldn’t trade any draft capital for Anthony Black. We could get a legit second star with our Bulls, Raptors, and our own FRP. Heck even the Hawks pick could set us up for a future star. You don’t waste picks for an unknown.

But, if we are trading for Black then signing Chris Paul is a no brainer. Puts Black as the back up to learn from Paul and Pop. Paul will be a big brother to a young black American. Sign Paul to a 3 year deal with the third year a team option. I would let Tre go if this is the case. We don’t need Tre. Even if we strike out with Paul, if we get Black then we need to drop Tre and sign Lowry as the back up.

Seventyniner
06-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Strange as it may sound, I think CP3 fits the Spurs timeline better than FVV does. Neither are a long-term answer, but CP3 probably won't demand a 4-year contract and is better for teaching this team how to win.

I'd take Lowry over FVV too. He'd be in the same role as CP3 would.

Spurs Homer
06-14-2023, 02:53 PM
Strange as it may sound, I think CP3 fits the Spurs timeline better than FVV does. Neither are a long-term answer, but CP3 probably won't demand a 4-year contract and is better for teaching this team how to win.

I'd take Lowry over FVV too. He'd be in the same role as CP3 would.

paul is done

and is a cancer

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 02:53 PM
Trading pick #44 for cash only won't be a big deal, but it would be lame as hell. Spurs are already the team with the lowest payroll. Ownership doesn't need a couple of $M.

They could use one of the three two-way spot on pick #44 or draft and stash someone. Even if this player has, let's say, a 5% odd to turn into an useful player, it would still be a way better move. What is sure is "cash" has a 0% odd to turn into an useful player.

They may need to sell the pick, yeah. It's sort of a gimme, since it came in the Poeltl trade. Maybe they can flip it to a team that badly wants a shot at a player this year. Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia don't have any picks at all this year. Not sure what future SRPs they have to trade. Four other teams only have a single draft pick that occur later than the 44 and Boston has only one SRP and it's the 35.

exstatic
06-14-2023, 02:54 PM

Not true. You can buy a 2nd rounder later who might turn into a useable player.

I would rather cash out pick #44 than use it on a player that has a 5% chance. If you make the pick, and the player is a whiff, that asset is gone forever. We literally will NOT be able to make selections with all 32 picks we have lined up for the next 7 drafts. That's more than two complete NBA rosters, plus the players we have under contract now, a third roster.

Chinook
06-14-2023, 03:05 PM
Not true. You can buy a 2nd rounder later who might turn into a useable player.

I would rather cash out pick #44 than use it on a player that has a 5% chance. If you make the pick, and the player is a whiff, that asset is gone forever. We literally will NOT be able to make selections with all 32 picks we have lined up for the next 7 drafts. That's more than two complete NBA rosters, plus the players we have under contract now, a third roster.

There's no reason to believe the Spurs would be more likely to buy a pick later if they sell a pick now. They should have plenty of money in the budget either way. Cash received is just for the owner's pocket. It's not a direct basketball asset, and a team like SA that is likely to run well into the black this year given their low payroll but also massive intrigue shouldn't need to worry about pinching pennies. I'd far prefer them use the pick to actually take a guy they want on a two-way rather than trying to poach one from another team. I don't particularly put any stock into the report that the Spurs don't want to use the picks (it's reasonable but I don't think any source who'd talk has any informed idea). But I think 33 is the far more likely pick to move. It'd be very shocking to me to see a team get a guy drafted in the upper 30s to sign a two-way, but 44 is likely within the cut-off. The Spurs may sell 44 like they did last year, but even in that case, I think they'd want to get off 33.

exstatic
06-14-2023, 03:20 PM
There's no reason to believe the Spurs would be more likely to buy a pick later if they sell a pick now. They should have plenty of money in the budget either way. Cash received is just for the owner's pocket. It's not a direct basketball asset, and a team like SA that is likely to run well into the black this year given their low payroll but also massive intrigue shouldn't need to worry about pinching pennies. I'd far prefer them use the pick to actually take a guy they want on a two-way rather than trying to poach one from another team. I don't particularly put any stock into the report that the Spurs don't want to use the picks (it's reasonable but I don't think any source who'd talk has any informed idea). But I think 33 is the far more likely pick to move. It'd be very shocking to me to see a team get a guy drafted in the upper 30s to sign a two-way, but 44 is likely within the cut-off. The Spurs may sell 44 like they did last year, but even in that case, I think they'd want to get off 33.

Welllllll, we didn't actually sell the pick last year, we got some cash, and the Lakers 2024 SRP that Memphis had in their pocket. They paid cash and a pick, and cut Kenedy Chandler in April.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 03:28 PM
The 33 has some value in a trade-in. Say, if they're close to getting something done with Dallas, who wants players for this next season. Say, the Spurs get one of Brooklyn's picks and uses that to get to Dallas, the 33 might push them over the line.

Chinook
06-14-2023, 03:39 PM
Welllllll, we didn't actually sell the pick last year, we got some cash, and the Lakers 2024 SRP that Memphis had in their pocket. They paid cash and a pick, and cut Kenedy Chandler in April.

Yep. I am aware of that. It's a second for next year belonging to LAL. I do consider that selling the pick. It doesn't match what Bruno was talking about, but it does align with how I interpreted timvp's article. I think they have good reason to just draft at 44 rather than trade it (for cash and/or a future pick). The most likely justification for them keeping 33 would be because of the saturation of tradeable picks in that range already. The value might not be there.

rjv
06-14-2023, 03:40 PM
i don't really know what intel is being leaked and whether or not any of this info is credible. also, could the spurs be putting it out there that they have an interest in certain players in the draft when they may be targeting someone else entirely different?

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 03:42 PM
i don't really know what intel is being leaked and whether or not any of this info is credible. also, could the spurs be putting it out there that they have an interest in certain players in the draft when they may be targeting someone else entirely different?

Yes, it's possible this is all smoke screen.

Although I do think the Spurs will likely draft Wembanyama.

TD 21
06-14-2023, 03:45 PM

1 was always a given (as was interest in Black), 2 is probably a puncher's chance (Bufkin, who likely won't cost as much) and 3 probably only happens if 2 fails and even then, it's probably someone like Micic.

DPG21920
06-14-2023, 03:51 PM
timvp what is your personal opinion on SA and FVV or CP3 types? I will puke if Sa punts their flexibility for guys like that right now.

If you’re going to do that just trade for Lillard then or something like that

CGD
06-14-2023, 03:53 PM
The 33 has some value in a trade-in. Say, if they're close to getting something done with Dallas, who wants players for this next season. Say, the Spurs get one of Brooklyn's picks and uses that to get to Dallas, the 33 might push them over the line.

Yeah, 33 is a good asset. It’s probably also worth “ranking” all the other future picks the spurs own. I imagine some project to be in the 30s too.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 03:55 PM
Yeah, 33 is a good asset. It’s probably also worth “ranking” all the other future picks the spurs own. I imagine some project to be in the 30s too.

If the Spurs don't trade up this draft, I think there are good players spilling from not being picked in the first round to be worthwhile and not reaches. I do think the Spurs will come out of this draft with two rookies.

Thomas82
06-14-2023, 03:57 PM
If we make a trade, I would like to have Bilal Coulibaly. If not him, I would be happy with one of those point guards.

Mugen
06-14-2023, 03:58 PM
I like any of Bufkin, Black, and Cason Wallace tbh. Hopefully they can buy back into the 1st and get their guy without giving up the farm.

SpursFan86
06-14-2023, 04:00 PM
It’s just hard for me to imagine CP3 coming here. By all accounts he wants a chance at a title. He’s accomplished everything aside from that - why would he spend his last 2 seasons in SA being a fringe playoff team? Just can’t see that happening even if we were willing to toss a shit ton of money his way.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind having him on a 1-2 year deal. Seems unlikely we’ll need that cap space anytime in 2023/2024 and for all the flack he gets, he’s one of the best guards to ever play the game and could absolutely be a good mentor for the younger guys on the team. It’s not like we’re paying him a bunch in hopes that he leads us to a title :lol All the talk of him being a choker or always injured in the POs seems irrelevant in this scenario IMO.

One valid concern is that having a ball-dominant guard could stifle the growth of the other guys, but again we’re not talking about leaning on CP3 in a major way here. 50-60 games of old CP3 playing 25 minutes a night leaves plenty of opportunity for others.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 04:02 PM
NSJ is still my guy for PG if we trade up.. hes got quick twitch first step that none of the others have...willing defender and good positional size...

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-14-2023, 04:08 PM
Interesting write-up Timvp.

I like the idea of the Spurs trying to trade up into the first round and trying to pursue a player like Black.

Chris Paul in a Spurs uniform would be interesting to see. I imagine CP3 wanting to ring chase at this point in his career. I'm thinking about Tony when he went to Charlotte, and that's about where I'm placing Chris Paul's ability to firmly contribute next season.

Mnky
06-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Getting a lead veteran guard should absolutely be at the top of the priorities. For anyone who has actually played the game, a PG that can control tempo and keep the team in the right mindset is essential for growth and morale. We didn't have that at all last year. I love Tre, and do hope they keep him because he's the right type of player. He's a patty mills type of role player.
The team lost all focus and function with him at the lead far too many times. He never could get them settled and on pace when the pressure was on. That's toxic for developing your franchise.

Wemby will bring the media and attention to SA like never before. They'll all be rooting for him or against him, but he will be on highlight reels non stop for better or worse. A veteran take control presence will do Wemby wonders as he acclimates to the best league in the world gunning for him on a nightly basis. There's a huge mental aspect that veterans will help keep him grounded. He's still just a kid and about to have more pressure on him than any kid since LeBron. Definitely a need to bring established vets to help keep the boat right through troubled waters, both mentally and physically.

We have plenty of money, and time for wemby to be supported as much as possible. Not sure why you wouldn't want to do that.

CGD
06-14-2023, 04:19 PM
Spurs need to get in on the emerging Beal trade situation as a facilitator. Have a feeling the bastard will in Miami somehow.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 04:28 PM
Spurs need to get in on the emerging Beal trade situation as a facilitator. Have a feeling the bastard will in Miami somehow.

If miami takes Beal (46M), they'll need to send Herro + Robinson + picks ($46M). If they want to resign their FA's theyll need to reduce Lowry's contract. Graham for Lowry might make more send for them then and wed have a vet PG for a year.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 04:31 PM
If miami takes Beal (46M), they'll need to send Herro + Robinson + picks ($46M). If they want to resign their FA's theyll need to reduce Lowry's contract. Graham for Lowry might make more send for them then and wed have a vet PG for a year.

Can't we just absorb Lowry outright, for like a late SRP? Or just swap Khem? I don't like giving up Graham both for play and contract value. I'd much rather go for Lowry than FVV, who doesn't appeal.

exstatic
06-14-2023, 04:32 PM
Yep. I am aware of that. It's a second for next year belonging to LAL. I do consider that selling the pick. It doesn't match what Bruno was talking about, but it does align with how I interpreted timvp's article. I think they have good reason to just draft at 44 rather than trade it (for cash and/or a future pick). The most likely justification for them keeping 33 would be because of the saturation of tradeable picks in that range already. The value might not be there.

I think you're alone in that thought, or, embarrassed at being caught in an inaccurate statement, you're just taking a position.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 04:35 PM
Kudos to the Wizards for finally tearing it down and building from base.

exstatic
06-14-2023, 04:39 PM

They should have done that when they sent Wall out.

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 04:42 PM

A year too late, but better late than never I guess. In reality they should’ve sold high on Beal after his All-NBA season 2 years ago. But they waited cause of “loyalty” or whatever, and now his value has gone down considerably at 30 years old imo. He also has a no-trade clause in that Max Contract they gave him, so he essentially can choose his destination. With the amount of money he’s owed over the next 4 years, he won’t fetch the return the Wizards are expecting imo. Nonetheless, despite his horrible defense, he’s still good enough offensively to move the needle for a Title contender so long as they don’t gut their roster to get him.

poopbox
06-14-2023, 04:45 PM

If they are serious about moving up to get Black I would think Keldon would be gone. I don't see the teams in that 5 - 9 range just wanting a bunch of future picks back, they probably going to want a young player to go along with it. Hopefully Keldon. If they can give up a few future 1st AND get rid of Keldon who is rapidly beginning to not fit this team that would be a huge win for them.

Crazymaddopeyo
06-14-2023, 04:49 PM

Either Dame or Beal going to be on Miami next year.

BatManu20
06-14-2023, 04:49 PM
If they are serious about moving up to get Black I would think Keldon would be gone. I don't see the teams in that 5 - 9 range just wanting a bunch of future picks back, they probably going to want a young player to go along with it. Hopefully Keldon. If they can give up a few future 1st AND get rid of Keldon who is rapidly beginning to not fit this team that would be a huge win for them.

I agree. Don’t think a trade back into the Top-10 happens without Keldon, UNLESS it’s the Orlando Magic, who have 2 picks in the lottery, and may be willing to sell #6 for a cache of picks. But I don’t think the Spurs wanna move him (yet) without seeing how he fits next to Wemby either. He’s also notably a favorite personality in the locker room, while also being on a very team-friendly deal, which makes trading him that much more difficult. That shouldn’t stop the Spurs of course if they find the right deal, but it’s something to consider.

Kevin
06-14-2023, 04:55 PM
Keldon and the Raps pick will probably get you the six. It would be nice if the Spurs could get swap the 44 for the 36 in that deal too.

wildbill2u
06-14-2023, 04:57 PM
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) the best Spurs insider source out there

Agreed/ I don't really think that any other ST poster has reliable inside sources. Doesn't mean he will always get the right stuff and be able to separate it from rumors and CIA Spur FO deceptions, but better TimVP than most.

poopbox
06-14-2023, 04:57 PM

You should be fine overpaying with picks, because its not like we can use them all. We could have up to 7 1st round picks over the next 3 years. Do you really think we will be able to use them all? It's almost mathematically impossible to do it since each pick would cost you a roster spot. That would literally mean that for the next 3 years we just flat out lose 2 players per season and just replace them with a 1st round pick we draft. That's not logical or optimum. The time to cash them in is right now while you have so many and the future on them is half full. These atlanta picks will look a lot less appealing to teams next year if they are the 5th seed and go to the second round and then you telling some team we can give you the 23 pick. Trading away some picks for a player the spurs are high on won't cause them much other than the right to use future picks they probably won't have future roster spots for anyway.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 04:59 PM
Can't we just absorb Lowry outright, for like a late SRP? Or just swap Khem? I don't like giving up Graham both for play and contract value. I'd much rather go for Lowry than FVV, who doesn't appeal.

Yes, i think its definitely work if they'd absorb Birch. My thought was that Miami would need Graham to help cover the loss of herro and Lowry at that position.

DPG21920
06-14-2023, 05:02 PM
Im sick thinking about Spurs spending money on FVV or CP3 ugh

poopbox
06-14-2023, 05:06 PM
I agree. Don’t think a trade back into the Top-10 happens without Keldon, UNLESS it’s the Orlando Magic, who have 2 picks in the lottery, and may be willing to sell #6 for a cache of picks. But I don’t think the Spurs wanna move him (yet) without seeing how he fits next to Wemby either. He’s also notably a favorite personality in the locker room, while also being on a very team-friendly deal, which makes trading him that much more difficult. That shouldn’t stop the Spurs of course if they find the right deal, but it’s something to consider.

I think Keldon is the odd man out due to his skillset being the most easily replaceable ( I can be a high volume 3 point shooter but I'm streaky ). I also think the fan favorite stuff is a bit overrated and won't stop them from trading him. Dejounte was a fan favorite and regardless if how you feel about him no one can deny his work ethic. He did everything the spurs asked him to do on and off the court, he put the work in, and the very first time they turned the keys over to him he had the best year of his career and was an all star. Most teams would want to hang on to a player that young with that contract and the work ethic to go from the 29th pick to all star...and the spurs traded him in the same off season. I feel if they know for sure that Keldon can get them Black they'd pull the trigger and I'd be disappointed if we found out later they didn't.

I don't really know how the rest of the league views Keldon though. Why would the teams in that range even want Keldon to begin with, let alone start paying him a moderate amount of money on his new deal.

Chinook
06-14-2023, 05:08 PM
I think you're alone in that thought, or, embarrassed at being caught in an inaccurate statement, you're just taking a position.

I don't think you have to go far to find people thinking trading a decent second for a future pick and cash is selling. That was mostly true last year. Now with the influx of seconds, I'd 100-percent consider that to be the case. Moving a pick for a future second is just kicking the can down the road for money. I get that has value for you, but to me that's them taking money to punt. Unfortunately I didn't have luck pulling up the general draft thread from last year so we could see the comments when it happened. I know I was unhappy until after they agreed to a deal with Barlow.

I understand you think some folks actually care about their reputation or being wrong. That's not me. There are things that I say that are wrong. There are things that I say that PATFO disagrees with me on. One of the things I do care about are future picks, though. I'm usually the person scouring the RGM page on future picks to see when the new assets become official. I knew about 2LAL24 since the Spurs got it, though it's now just another second in the pile they need to get rid of. So I did know about this particular situation, whether you believe me or not.

mo7888
I know we a aren't looking to move Sochan, but what would he bring if a team in the top 10 or so had an interest?

Kevin
If the Spurs really want CP3 they have to claim his two year sixty million dollar contact. He only has 15 million guaranteed next season and zero guaranteed in 2025. Worst case its a one year overpay.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 05:09 PM
My sense is that Keldon would appeal to Orlando, perhaps well over a rookie at #6 they don't really need. (Kind of a no-man's land pick for them.)

Keldon to me is a fantastic 3rd option, although I think their starting unit gets as weird as ours does with him. He does hit 3s at a very high rate when he's not forced to do too much. He's near a 40%er at his best. And I don't think their defense is really excellent anyway.

If you feel like he was getting traded for picks this summer anyway... Then you're trying something like Keldon + CHA or more likely TOR and maybe need to be willing to go another pick if you have to. The Spurs are at a point where they can actually trade their own future picks, with some protections. Maybe one in 2025.

I don't know if Orlando can actually match salaries, though. Honestly fit and salary aren't clear.

Indiana is an outlier, although they'd likely prefer going for Jarace. Detroit seems unlikely?

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 05:10 PM
I know we a aren't looking to move Sochan, but what would he bring if a team in the top 10 or so had an interest?

If the Spurs tried to trade Sochan right now, other teams would be confused and think something was up.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 05:11 PM
If the Spurs tried to trade Sochan right now, other teams would be confused and think something was up.

I'm not talking about us trying to trade him... I'm referring to a team in that range wanting him and bringing his name into the discussion.

JPB
06-14-2023, 05:18 PM
The way some are ready to give really good assets for Black is kind of weird... It feels like spurs were desperate to make a move and Black was the missing link... or they should just because spurs can...

We always tend to get excited, fall in love and overrate players the closer the draft, as if we absolutely needed them, as if they were so great, perfect for us, at the expense of the following drafts and possible trades... And it's like that in every fanbase... I mean spurs got #15 for Hill back in the day (a 26th pick). 2 or 3 FPRs and/or Keldon (a 20+pts/game player) for zero NBA game, Anthony no shoot Black is just nonsense... Feels like a panic move or something. yes, we have a lot FPRs, but that's what you need to grab a star/superstar down the road and still have a few left for you... And there are maybe players in the next drafts that will REALLY deserve pulling the trigger. If you give Keldon + pick this draft, you prevent yourself for making similar, more pertinent moves in the next 2 years.

Making that kind of move just because you have a lot of picls doesn't make sense, you make because you really want it and it's the right prize. Not gonna spend 500 bucks for a sammich just because I can.

spurs10
06-14-2023, 05:18 PM
Im sick thinking about Spurs spending money on FVV or CP3 ugh I don't see it. Paul wants a ring and will probably take a pay cut to play for a contender. FVV will likely go to the Suns if Paul is waived.

exstatic
06-14-2023, 05:20 PM

No. I'd Move Keldon or Vassell first. Hell, I'd move Keldon AND Vassell first.

mookie2001
06-14-2023, 05:21 PM
Besides a point guard we still need a young Bruce Bowen and a young Kawhi.

and an LSU Shaq.

exstatic
06-14-2023, 05:22 PM
If the Spurs really want CP3 they have to claim his two year sixty million dollar contact. He only has 15 million guaranteed next season and zero guaranteed in 2025. Worst case its a one year overpay.

We can't do that when they waive him. The drop dead date is 28 June, meaning we can only use this year's remaining cap room, and we don't have enough.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 05:23 PM
If Washington is tearing it down to the bolts, trading Beal (maybe for Herro and such), trading Porzingis, S&T for Kuzma... I don't know what they do with the 8 pick. Do you actually want to use it? It's kind of an odd pick for them. I guess a guy like Hendricks would be around. Not sure if Wallace makes sense unless they really, truly believe in him.

exstatic
06-14-2023, 05:24 PM
I don't see it. Paul wants a ring and will probably take a pay cut to play for a contender. FVV will likely go to the Suns if Paul is waived.

I don't think they'll have the cap room to sign him.

BacktoBasics
06-14-2023, 05:24 PM
You should be fine overpaying with picks, because its not like we can use them all. We could have up to 7 1st round picks over the next 3 years. Do you really think we will be able to use them all? It's almost mathematically impossible to do it since each pick would cost you a roster spot. That would literally mean that for the next 3 years we just flat out lose 2 players per season and just replace them with a 1st round pick we draft. That's not logical or optimum. The time to cash them in is right now while you have so many and the future on them is half full. These atlanta picks will look a lot less appealing to teams next year if they are the 5th seed and go to the second round and then you telling some team we can give you the 23 pick. Trading away some picks for a player the spurs are high on won't cause them much other than the right to use future picks they probably won't have future roster spots for anyway.
That was a typo. I have no problem overpaying with picks.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 05:28 PM

Thats not what I'm getting at.... I'm asking what it'd take for us to move him if another team tries to get him...

JPB
06-14-2023, 05:29 PM

Are you confident saying players in that zone have defintitley more value than Keldon or Devin? I exclude from that zone the top prospects ofc, understanding that teams from that zone trading us their pick would also expect a pick, meaning prospects from that zone would have more value than Keldon +FRP or Devin + FRP.

I'm farily sure that if we already had some player form that zone and Keldon, or Devin would be available this draft, some would want us to trade said player + a FPR to get Keldon or Devin...

mo7888
06-14-2023, 05:31 PM
Are you confident saying players in that zone have defintitley more value than Keldon or Devin? I exclude from that zone the top prospects ofc, understanding that teams from that zone trading us their pick would also expect a pick, meaning prospects from that zone would have more value than Keldon +FRP or Devin + FRP

No that's not what he's saying...hes saying he likes Sochan better than Keldon and Vassell, I believe..

JPB
06-14-2023, 05:36 PM
No that's not what he's saying...hes saying he likes Sochan better than Keldon and Vassell, I believe..

He was answering that question so I assume he was tallking about that whe he says he'd prefer move Keldon and Devin first. (I wouldn't move Sochan either ofc).

TD 21
06-14-2023, 05:38 PM
My sense is that Keldon would appeal to Orlando, perhaps well over a rookie at #6 they don't really need. (Kind of a no-man's land pick for them.)

Nah, they need guards, shooting, experience and have cap space, which is why the likes of Van Vleet and Trent Jr. have been mentioned as targets.

I suspect Johnson's value leaguewide isn't as high as many on this board would like to believe and that the Spurs preference would be to give him another season (4 years of developmental resources, value contract, thin on wings) to see if he can carve out a niche and how he fits around Wembanyama.

BacktoBasics
06-14-2023, 05:40 PM
If Washington is tearing it down to the bolts, trading Beal (maybe for Herro and such), trading Porzingis, S&T for Kuzma... I don't know what they do with the 8 pick. Do you actually want to use it? It's kind of an odd pick for them. I guess a guy like Hendricks would be around. Not sure if Wallace makes sense unless they really, truly believe in him.

I’m down for 8 if Black is still there and they want to stock pile picks. That would be ideal for us.

JPB
06-14-2023, 05:41 PM
Nah, they need guards, shooting, shot creation and experience and have cap space, which is why the likes of Van Vleet and Trent Jr. have been mentioned as targets.

I suspect Johnson's value leaguewide isn't as high as many on this board would like to believe and that the Spurs preference would be to give him another season (4 years of developmental resources, value contract, thin on wings) to see if he can carve out a niche and how he fits around Wembanyama.

I agree for the last part but teams in the top 10-15 might just simply take BPA independently of needs.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 05:41 PM
Nah, they need guards, shooting, experience and have cap space, which is why the likes of Van Vleet and Trent Jr. have been mentioned as targets.

I think Keldon's value around the league is pretty good, but i do agree with you on Orlando's needs. I think Devin would be who they'd want in the package for #6. He would fit great there and played at FSU.

Degoat
06-14-2023, 05:42 PM
Yeah I think the absolute best pick Keldon could fetch is maybe #10 (mavs pick) and honestly I wouldn’t be thrilled with that. Would rather wait and hope that Kobe Bufkin falls between 15-20 and we trade a picks package for him.

CGD
06-14-2023, 05:42 PM

I think there is a formulation of this that works where they send us Lowry & a pick and we send Birch to WAS.

The interesting factors are:

1. the (moronic) Beal no trade clause which hurts WAS’ leverage.

2. Fact that (by my count anyway) Miami only has 3 tradable FRPs including this year. They have few SRPs.

Ideally the price for dumping Lowry onto us is one of those picks (maybe 18 this year), but will the other two picks, Herro, and maybe Struss/Jovic be enough for WAS?

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 05:45 PM

Many teams would take Keldon in a second. The question is what they would pay for him.

Crazymaddopeyo
06-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Im sick thinking about Spurs spending money on FVV or CP3 ugh

Why? I think it would simply be to have a Vet on the team to help guide the younger guys and if it helps get to the playoffs then so be it. I just don't think they are believing they are going to win the championship next year and would just want to get the young guys a veteran.

Uriel
06-14-2023, 05:47 PM
Can’t say I’m too thrilled about some of these revelations:

1. Trading up for Black or Bufkin is fine, but given what it would likely cost, I would prefer not to do it. In fact, I’m almost certain those other scouts mentioning those names are just speculating, and that nobody really knows who the front office is interested in drafting (besides Wembanyama).
2. I really don’t like the idea of getting Chris Paul/Fred VanVleet. If I had to pick one, I’d go with Paul, but I think it’s a bad idea to bring in a veteran who doesn’t fit the current roster’s timeline and take minutes away from our youngsters, especially given the number of guards we have.
3. I am pleased though the team is trying to move up in the draft, though I don’t see it likely to materialize. More likely, I think, is that the Spurs will draft a first-round talent that fell into the second round at 33 and trade 44 for a future second rounder, or draft and stash.

TD 21
06-14-2023, 05:50 PM
Many teams would take Keldon in a second. The question is what they would pay for him.

That's essentially what I said.

People keep throwing around the Mavericks at 10, but he doesn't fit their needs (defensive anchor and 3 and D big wing/forward).

White is older, but better, yet the best singular asset he went for was a late 1st, so I don't buy the notion that Johnson would go for a top 10 pick.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 05:51 PM
I think there is a formulation of this that works where they send us Lowry & a pick and we send Birch to WAS.

The interesting factors are:

1. the (moronic) Beal no trade clause which hurts WAS’ leverage.

2. Fact that (by my count anyway) Miami only has 3 tradable FRPs including this year. They have few SRPs.

Ideally the price for dumping Lowry onto us is one of those picks (maybe 18 this year), but will the other two picks, Herro, and maybe Struss/Jovic be enough for WAS?

I'd be interested in Struss in that package actually... i havent thiught it through but hed be a nice player depending on what we do with thevrest of the roster.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 05:53 PM
I'd be interested in Struss in that package actually... i havent thiught it through but hed be a nice player depending on what we do with thevrest of the roster.

He's a FA.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 05:54 PM
If I'm Washington, I take Hendricks or Ausar, someone with long term possibility.

rascal
06-14-2023, 05:58 PM
No offense to Timvp but how exactly would other GMs , scouts or executives know who spurs would be targeting? That's pure speculation, guessing not information. If anything spurs are creating smoke screens.... Black is spurs material so Spurs would be interested in him... they certainly are in a vaccum, and would maybe trade up in the 20s for him, but not for the prize it would cost in the top 10... I mean when was the last time whe knew who spurs were really targeting?

Who knows, maybe Timvp is part of the smoke screens...:eyebrows

Those sources have been reading Spurstalk.

rascal
06-14-2023, 06:00 PM
If I'm Washington, I take Hendricks or Ausar, someone with long term possibility.

No you aren't, you're taking Black.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 06:25 PM
No you aren't, you're taking Black.

Washington? No. They might, but it would be a really bad fit.

rascal
06-14-2023, 06:29 PM
Thats not what I'm getting at.... I'm asking what it'd take for us to move him if another team tries to get him...

The Spurs and their fans value Sochan more than other teams. highly overrated

rascal
06-14-2023, 06:30 PM
Washington? No. They might, but it would be a really bad fit.

He's a bad fit in San Antonio.

PhantomDashCam
06-14-2023, 06:44 PM
So CP3, FVV, Bufkin and Black as potential PG targets? And resigning Tre J?
Nah, not buying the smoke on this one. They're all at the opposite ends of G development outcomes... so I guess in theory we would have all our bases covered. :lol

I can't believe I'm actually saying this but D-Lo wouldn't be a bad pick up in FA at a competitive salary. I actually think I'd prefer him to FVV or CP3. (Still can't believe I'm typing this).

scott
06-14-2023, 06:44 PM

I had been thinking of starting a thread ranking the Spurs future picks, but I'm not as illustrious as some of the other posters on this board. With that said, here is how I would rank all of our yet-to-be-taken FRPs, WITHOUT fully considering the time value of picks (which I think is very real. A pick this year is worth more than a pick next year with equal protections), though I did factor in some time element. What I didn't consider is trying to crystal ball how good teams will be in the future. So for now, a Spurs unprotected FRP is worth more than a ATL unprotected FRP because the Spurs are currently a lotto team and ATL is currently a play-in team. I only went out to 2028.

1. 2023 Spurs FRP (duh. It's #1 overall)
2. 2026 Spurs FRP w/ ATL pick Swap (this is the most valuable because it has the added benefit of being able to be high based on the outcome of two teams, not just one)
3. 2028 Spurs FRP w/ BOS pick Swap (this is slightly less valuable than the 2026 pick with the ATL swap, because BOS's swap is protected for the #1 overall pick)
4. 2024 Spurs FRP
5. 2025 Spurs FRP
6. 2025 Hawks FRP
7. 2027 Spurs FRP
8. 2027 Hawks FRP
9. 2024 Raptors FRP (Top 6 protected)
10. 2025 Bull FRP (Top 10 Protected)
11. 2024 Hornets FRP (Lotto Protected)

baseline bum
06-14-2023, 08:04 PM

Nothing realistic. Pick #2 or #3 probably.

rascal
06-14-2023, 08:11 PM

Charlotte or Portland wouldn't make that trade.

CGD
06-14-2023, 08:13 PM
I had been thinking of starting a thread ranking the Spurs future picks, but I'm not as illustrious as some of the other posters on this board. With that said, here is how I would rank all of our yet-to-be-taken FRPs, WITHOUT fully considering the time value of picks (which I think is very real. A pick this year is worth more than a pick next year with equal protections), though I did factor in some time element. What I didn't consider is trying to crystal ball how good teams will be in the future. So for now, a Spurs unprotected FRP is worth more than a ATL unprotected FRP because the Spurs are currently a lotto team and ATL is currently a play-in team. I only went out to 2028.

1. 2023 Spurs FRP (duh. It's #1 overall)
2. 2026 Spurs FRP w/ ATL pick Swap (this is the most valuable because it has the added benefit of being able to be high based on the outcome of two teams, not just one)
3. 2028 Spurs FRP w/ BOS pick Swap (this is slightly less valuable than the 2026 pick with the ATL swap, because BOS's swap is protected for the #1 overall pick)
4. 2024 Spurs FRP
5. 2025 Spurs FRP
6. 2025 Hawks FRP
7. 2027 Spurs FRP
8. 2027 Hawks FRP
9. 2024 Raptors FRP (Top 6 protected)
10. 2025 Bull FRP (Top 10 Protected)
11. 2024 Hornets FRP (Lotto Protected)

Good list, was originally thinking of the seconds since some are “fake” (top 55 protected) and we acquired a boatload last year. Like how many do with think will be in the 30-42 range as opposed to worse. Hard to say I know, but could be useful for cobbling together trades later.

But I do like the FRP idea too.

DPG21920
06-14-2023, 08:14 PM
Would be so sick if CHA traded #2 for Beal or Zion and re-signed Bridges too. Them pushing hard for playoffs would be so great for SA

DPG21920
06-14-2023, 08:14 PM
Why? I think it would simply be to have a Vet on the team to help guide the younger guys and if it helps get to the playoffs then so be it. I just don't think they are believing they are going to win the championship next year and would just want to get the young guys a veteran.

You can get vets and not spend 100M+

spurraider21
06-14-2023, 08:15 PM
Love everything i read here other than Vanvleet being a target. I could stomach it on a 2-3 year deal, but not a fan of his defense is no longer a thing

exstatic
06-14-2023, 08:27 PM

I wouldn’t do it for anything but #1, and we have that already.

rankingtear
06-14-2023, 08:27 PM
Horford and CP3 would be perfect. CP3 jumpstarts young guys development for some reason even if everyone hates him. Maybe 3 guys are still in this roster in 5 years not worried about them taking minutes from young guys. Plus their contracts lineup to expire in 2 years.

mo7888
06-14-2023, 08:31 PM
I wouldn’t do it for anything but #1, and we have that already.

I'd take Jarace Walker over him, but I'd rather pair them together around Wembanyama. Walker is strong enough to check most C's... That D would be nasty..

Obstructed_View
06-14-2023, 08:49 PM
I think if I'm the Spurs I'd rather not have any point guards at all and go after Draymond to rotate with Sochan than get Paul or Vanvleet. Again, not an option I love, but one I prefer to either of those point guards.

Draymond may not be available. think I saw him on a list. Regardless, I think CP or FVV are a bad idea.

heyheymymy
06-14-2023, 08:52 PM
Do not want FVV honestly.

CP3 and Lowry are finished and would be even worse than FVV!

No thanks

heyheymymy
06-14-2023, 08:58 PM
I wonder if people are underestimating Tre Jones (pending re-signing obvs) and Graham.

I could also see the Spurs clearly needing a bit more anchoring at PG.

Will be interesting to see how the team proceeds.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 09:21 PM
I wonder if people are underestimating Tre Jones (pending re-signing obvs) and Graham.

I know we're kind of going around in circles in many of these conversations, but one way of looking at this:

The Spurs kind of HAVE TO improve the point guard spot. Reason? Not because they don't believe in Jones or what not. It's because they HAVE TO spend money to get up to the salary floor and they HAVE WAY TOO MANY draft assets.

Basically, they have to find a way to spend money on something this offseason or before the deadline. And, they have so many draft pieces coming. They have SIX first round picks between the next two drafts; probably three in each one.

They have other needs: shooting, size. But they HAVE TO spend money and/or picks on SOMETHING. Either they start spending now, or it's going to get harder or less effective to do so. And it should be the weakest area of team needs (which seems to cross with a strength in this draft and possibly a strength in this free agent class). They are almost forced by circumstances to do something now, and it might as well be a major need.

KobesAchilles
06-14-2023, 09:22 PM

A bit more anchoring? Underestimating Tre?? he is literally a bottom 5 starting PG. how tf is anybody underestimating him? Spurstalk man. Tre is NOT the answer for starting PG. I don’t even know if he’ll be on the team in 3 years and if he is the starting PG next year then we are wasting a year of Wemby for literally no reason

rankingtear
06-14-2023, 09:36 PM
I think if I'm the Spurs I'd rather not have any point guards at all and go after Draymond to rotate with Sochan than get Paul or Vanvleet. Again, not an option I love, but one I prefer to either of those point guards.

Draymond may not be available. think I saw him on a list. Regardless, I think CP or FVV are a bad idea.

Draymond knocking out Wemby in practice and constantly nagging him on the court for every little mistakes is the bad idea.

Degoat
06-14-2023, 09:37 PM
I rather us trade for another pick and grab a guard in the mid lottery, but if we did land CP3 or FVV you bet your ass I’d be saying WE BACK!!! Lol

Obstructed_View
06-14-2023, 09:52 PM
Draymond knocking out Wemby in practice and constantly nagging him on the court for every little mistakes is the bad idea.
Probably. An illustration of how bad I think Chris Paul or FVV would be.

CGD
06-14-2023, 09:53 PM
Yes, i think its definitely work if they'd absorb Birch. My thought was that Miami would need Graham to help cover the loss of herro and Lowry at that position.

SAS: Lowery + #18
MIA: Beal
WAS: Herro + Martin + Birch + #44 + 2FRP from MIA

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 09:57 PM
SAS: Lowery + #18
MIA: Beal
WAS: Herro + Martin + Birch + #44 + 2FRP from MIA

Spurs just get free stuff for Birch?

Washington won't get FRPs for Beal's salary. They'll be fortunate to get Herro and other matching.

poopbox
06-14-2023, 10:03 PM
I know we're kind of going around in circles in many of these conversations, but one way of looking at this:
The Spurs kind of HAVE TO improve the point guard spot. Reason? Not because they don't believe in Jones or what not. It's because they HAVE TO spend money to get up to the salary floor and they HAVE WAY TOO MANY draft assets.
Basically, they have to find a way to spend money on something this offseason or before the deadline. And, they have so many draft pieces coming. They have SIX first round picks between the next two drafts; probably three in each one.
They have other needs: shooting, size. But they HAVE TO spend money and/or picks on SOMETHING. Either they start spending now, or it's going to get harder or less effective to do so. And it should be the weakest area of team needs (which seems to cross with a strength in this draft and possibly a strength in this free agent class). They are almost forced by circumstances to do something now, and it might as well be a major need.

I think they are going to try to spend that money on Brook Lopez, so Wemby can start out playing the 4, and Sochan can start out playing point guard.

They let him play point quite a bit last year. Unless they just straight up didn't like what they see it makes no sense to do that and then go sign a veteran point guard, while also already having tre.

Forgot about Graham as well :lol

DPG21920
06-14-2023, 10:21 PM
I’m really hoping this is a generic thought vs real noise. This reads more like someone who is adding 2+2 without much thought: Spurs have cap space + Spurs need a PG + FVV and/or CP seem available = Spurs targeting them.

I just can’t imagine spurs being so rash to blow cap space and flexibility for guys who are older and questionable fits beyond 1 year. If they could be had for 1 year deals, then IDGAF but that’s not possible outside of maybe CP?

I definitely am ok with having vets like Doug now (I know, I know) and even some others… just don’t want the CP/FVV types that are 1) mega expensive 2) want the ball a ton & 3) have no upside for the timeline of our main core

td4mvp2k
06-14-2023, 10:54 PM
no way paul or fvv come here. i see lowry as more of a possibility where miami sends him and #18 to SA.

spurraider21
06-14-2023, 11:01 PM
It’s selling. It’s like trading pick a for worse pick b + cash. Selling draft position

TD 21
06-14-2023, 11:12 PM
Beal doesn't have anywhere near the value some seem to think. When he gets traded, it'll be just as much a salary dump as it will be draft capital/youth.

Williamson's durability or lack thereof likely makes him too big a risk for a top 2-4 pick.

rascal
06-14-2023, 11:23 PM

Washington won't get FRPs for Beal's salary. They'll be fortunate to get Herro and other matching.

Why would those teams want the Spurs in that trade. Spurs are giving nothing of value up.
Looks like a fantasy basketball offer you might get from a team in your league.

dbestpro
06-14-2023, 11:30 PM
FVV gives me the Forbes vibes.

Mr. Body
06-14-2023, 11:44 PM
Taking timvp's suggestion of targets as writ - admittedly could be smokescreen -- Black probably goes top 10 and the Spurs can't get there.

Kobe Bufkin may be the perfect complement for this roster. A backcourt of Vassell and Bufkin could be lethal. I do believe there's a jam in the lottery, otherwise Bufkin should be much higher than he currently is projected. I have the feeling he's eventually a top 5 player in this draft. He's not quite Haliburton, but he's that sort of player. Reminds me of Devin Harris a bit, too, another Big 10 player, and one who shredded the Spurs time and again in Dallas. (Harris went 5th in a top-heavy draft.)

Hard to tell where the target spots are. Orlando at 11, the 13, 14, 15... Lakers may want to get rid of their 17, Miami at 18. These teams may not even keep their picks and move up, as NOP wants to do with 14. The Spurs would need to get one of these solely using draft capital and maybe taking on salary.

But I strongly believe, for what it's worth, that here's a smart, heady, highly competitive player with really good shooting numbers, ability to facilitate, and a good defender. I'd hate to see any of our rivals get him - I think he's incredibly undervalued right now. But a team could get wise and grab him. Smart teams like Toronto, Miami, etc.

scott
06-14-2023, 11:54 PM
Taking timvp's suggestion of targets as writ - admittedly could be smokescreen -- Black probably goes top 10 and the Spurs can't get there.

Kobe Bufkin may be the perfect complement for this roster. A backcourt of Vassell and Bufkin could be lethal. I do believe there's a jam in the lottery, otherwise Bufkin should be much higher than he currently is projected. I have the feeling he's eventually a top 5 player in this draft. He's not quite Haliburton, but he's that sort of player. Reminds me of Devin Harris a bit, too, another Big 10 player, and one who shredded the Spurs time and again in Dallas. (Harris went 5th in a top-heavy draft.)

Hard to tell where the target spots are. Orlando at 11, the 13, 14, 15... Lakers may want to get rid of their 17, Miami at 18. These teams may not even keep their picks and move up, as NOP wants to do with 14. The Spurs would need to get one of these solely using draft capital and maybe taking on salary.

But I strongly believe, for what it's worth, that here's a smart, heady, highly competitive player with really good shooting numbers, ability to facilitate, and a good defender. I'd hate to see any of our rivals get him - I think he's incredibly undervalued right now. But a team could get wise and grab him. Smart teams like Toronto, Miami, etc.

Was listening to the first episode of Matthew Tynan's (covers the Spurs for the Athletic) new podcast on the Spurs called Small Market Bias. Certainly not saying he is the expert to subordinate all other thought... but as far as Spurs podcasts go, he's already my favorite. They discussed possible trade up partners in 11-20 range and broke down the targets as so:

11. Orlando definitely in play, but more likely want to use 11 to try to move up from 6.
12. OKC trying to move up, not out, unlikely trade partner
13. Toronto probably done trading with us for now (though I'm not sure why... but doesn't seem like they'd necessary want to move out... maybe for their own pick back?)
14. NO definitely could be in play
15. Atlanta probably not trading with us for now
16. Definite target
17. If the Lakers would actually trade with us and us with them, it would make sense. LA may prefer to add some assets for the post-Bron or to make some trades for players now. Little use for a rookie
18. Miami definitely a possibility - already at the tax line with like 5 players. Taking Lowry could be the way to get #18?
19. Could definitely be a target
20. Probably not

I don't necessarily have an opinion on these thoughts, just adding them into the database. And I do recommend this new Podcast. Like I said, already my favorite Spurs podcast (Locked on Spurs is pretty lame, SSPN is alright).

pad300
06-15-2023, 12:15 AM
We can't do that when they waive him. The drop dead date is 28 June, meaning we can only use this year's remaining cap room, and we don't have enough.

I don't think the suns have waived CP yet, they are waiting, hoping someone makes them a deal. I think there is one that works.

Khem Birch for CP + ??? ; I believe if we send Khem back, we have enough space to absorb CP.

Saves the suns ~$22M in lux tax this year (22/23) and pulls the Spurs above the salary minimum. Birch is less of a cap hit for them next year (than a waived CP), and thus saves them more tax and gives them more salary room to rework their roster (and if he doesn't play at all and they get an injury exception for him, they save even more tax and get more salary space to reshape their roster).

SAS is on the hook for CP's full ~$30M next year, but the year after is fully unguaranteed.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 12:17 AM
Was listening to the first episode of Matthew Tynan's (covers the Spurs for the Athletic) new podcast on the Spurs called Small Market Bias. Certainly not saying he is the expert to subordinate all other thought... but as far as Spurs podcasts go, he's already my favorite. They discussed possible trade up partners in 11-20 range and broke down the targets as so:

11. Orlando definitely in play, but more likely want to use 11 to try to move up from 6.
12. OKC trying to move up, not out, unlikely trade partner
13. Toronto probably done trading with us for now (though I'm not sure why... but doesn't seem like they'd necessary want to move out... maybe for their own pick back?)
14. NO definitely could be in play
15. Atlanta probably not trading with us for now
16. Definite target
17. If the Lakers would actually trade with us and us with them, it would make sense. LA may prefer to add some assets for the post-Bron or to make some trades for players now. Little use for a rookie
18. Miami definitely a possibility - already at the tax line with like 5 players. Taking Lowry could be the way to get #18?
19. Could definitely be a target
20. Probably not

I don't necessarily have an opinion on these thoughts, just adding them into the database. And I do recommend this new Podcast. Like I said, already my favorite Spurs podcast (Locked on Spurs is pretty lame, SSPN is alright).

Good thoughts. Just futzing around.

11. Orlando. Their move at 6 is a mystery. If they're here, I think they take Gradey Dick, although that seems so obvious everyone's saying it.
12. OKC. I don't see them trucking with San Antonio in any sense. We're gearing up to be major rivals.
13. Toronto. Probably needs a good cheap-contract rookie. I see Keyonte George mocked here a lot. Totally depends on other roster moves.
14. NOP. Who knows. Their attention will be pulled by trying to move up. If Charlotte or Portland wind up with this pick, also who knows.
15. Atlanta. They have so much ugly salary, but it's so ugly it's not worth a 15 to take. A lot of guards in this range, but they have guards...
16. Utah. Also looking to move up. Have too many picks otherwise, but I think they'll find a point guard here if they don't take one at 9. Hope they move up to take Amen or something
17. Lakers. Not clear on what they want to do here. Need win-now pieces and we don't have any of those. Could try to get off salary? But their salary is tied up in the big guys.
18. Miami. Another mystery. They have a lot of salary mess and may be going for Beale or another star. They have no SRPs for years and need cheap contracts.
19. Golden State. The biggest mess in the league, and one that doesn't trust its own drafting.
20. Houston. Don't see the Rockets messing with San Antonio anytime soon. Probably will use this pick on someone like Bryce Sensabaugh or Lively if he's around.
21./22. Brooklyn. I feel like one of these can possibly be bought. They have no draft picks next year - send them a FRP and a SRP and maybe something else.

My guess is that Kobe Bufkin goes to NOP or Hawks at the latest. Really, though, no idea. Masai is smart and may take him at 13. Just feel like anything after 16 is too late.

intlspurshk
06-15-2023, 01:12 AM
Not sold on Black but Kobe is more realistic target and more safe pick. No way on FVV and I would rather try to steal a Austin Reeves from Lakers

objective
06-15-2023, 01:13 AM
I think VanVleet would probably be a disaster.

He's going to be 30, his percentages tanked, and he's been run into the ground by Toronto as an undersized guard.

Minutes per game last 4 seasons:

19/20: 35.7. 8th in NBA mpg
20/21: 36.5. 2nd in NBA
21/22: 37.9. 1st (tied with Siakam) in NBA
22/23: 36.7. 5th in the NBA

Each of those years mpg was more than any Spur since Duncan in 03/04.

39.3% FG, and 34.2% from 3 in 22/23. Weak. He's basically a career 40% fg shooter and 37% from 3.

And he was a fake all-star as a result of a media campaign by the whining Toronto org. "Freddy All-Star" yeah right

What's going to happen if the Spurs sign him is his minutes will come way down under Pop and with age and wear and tear he's going to play 28 mpg and average 15 and 5 while everyone regrets paying him $30+ million.

I'd rather see Tre Jones on a full MLE deal than FVV, and I'm not even a Jones fan. At least Jones can get better.

Cry Havoc
06-15-2023, 02:34 AM
It's just the most exciting time in arguably any team's modern history in terms of what's expected of Wemby. He is arguably coming in with more steam than nearly any draft pick in history outside of one LeBron James. And part of that reason is that nearly every single person, contrarian haters aside, expects him to be an almost unparalleled player. He has incredible touch around the rim and passing is really special for a player of any size, not just his 8 feet of wingspan.

And he will be a star. No amount of work can be done to label the Spurs as boring when a player with this kind of hype around him walks through the doors. The minute he shows a flash of greatness, people are going to start lining up to watch him, if not before.

Raven
06-15-2023, 05:40 AM
Spurs making a push for Paul or Van Fleet...I hope not :cry

i don't really get the appeal, he's not carl malone.

CGD
06-15-2023, 06:23 AM

Not free stuff. Miami paying us to get off Lowery. They’re in cap hell and need to make choices on key free agents. Spurs also sending out SRP (could be 33 instead) so WAS gets 3 picks for Beal.

thiste
06-15-2023, 06:40 AM
PATFO playing 4D chess once again. Black is way too high a pick for us to reach anyway.

CGD
06-15-2023, 06:49 AM
PATFO playing 4D chess once again. Black is way too high a pick for us to reach anyway.

Yeah, watch it be a smoke screen to go up and grab Nick Smith Jr.

Degoat
06-15-2023, 07:43 AM
I’m all for the spurs trading up for a Guard in this draft, but honest question how is Kobe Bufkin and say Amari Bailey much different? Bailey most likely could be had at 33 I think

Dex
06-15-2023, 08:01 AM
I agree the team needs structure and veteran leadership, but I'd prefer to see them focus on a point guard that can grow with this young core. Sure, that probably isn't going to lead to fast playoff success, but better for the long run.

Also, really don't want CP3. Yes, he was once a great player but dude is now pushing 40, has shown flashes of being a locker room cancer and borderline dirty, and all indications are that he wants to chase a ring. No moves the Spurs make this summer will immediately make them title contenders, so as much as I trust LJ's sources this story is really surprising to me. Hopefully it's just a smokescreen.

DPG21920
06-15-2023, 08:09 AM
I agree the team needs structure and veteran leadership, but I'd prefer to see them focus on a point guard that can grow with this young core. Sure, that probably isn't going to lead to fast playoff success, but better for the long run.

Also, really don't want CP3. Yes, he was once a great player but dude is now pushing 40, has shown flashes of being a locker room cancer and borderline dirty, and all indications are that he wants to chase a ring. No moves the Spurs make this summer will immediately title contenders, so as much as I trust LJ's sources this story is really surprising to me. Hopefully it's just a smokescreen.

That portion seemed to be an opinion of someone outside of the team; I think its more of “I don’t really pay attention all that much but Spurs have money and a need so the fit makes surface level sense”…at least I hope that’s what it is.

Dejounte
06-15-2023, 08:11 AM

Also, really don't want CP3. Yes, he was once a great player but dude is now pushing 40, has shown flashes of being a locker room cancer and borderline dirty, and all indications are that he wants to chase a ring. No moves the Spurs make this summer will immediately title contenders, so as much as I trust LJ's sources this story is really surprising to me. Hopefully it's just a smokescreen.

TP was 6 years younger than TD. If a player of TP’s caliber isnt there this year, we have every year for the next six years to find a guy that can grow with Wemby.

it probably helped our cap situation back then that TP and TD werent so close in age and contract timelines.

CorrectCrusader
06-15-2023, 08:17 AM

Yes, they're where we were just last year basically. They need as many picks as possible to try and get a player with large upside that can potential become a star for them.

exstatic
06-15-2023, 08:22 AM

Absolutely terrible. He’s a smaller, less versatile Black, still with a bad shot. He could never dislodge Black from the starting gig once he recovered from his injuries.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 08:23 AM

I would be one happy dude... lol

mo7888
06-15-2023, 08:27 AM
Absolutely terrible. He’s a smaller, less versatile Black, still with a bad shot. He could never dislodge Black from the starting gig once he recovered from his injuries.

Nah... hes got a quick twitch first step Black could never emulate... he's got good positional size for a PG, his shot mechanics are very good (Black will never be as good from the field with NBA spacing), he's a willing defender and has every opportunity to be the best PG from this draft...

Atl Spur
06-15-2023, 08:28 AM
I would be one happy dude... lol

I don’t like Nick Smith competitive fire at all!

exstatic
06-15-2023, 08:29 AM
I’m all for the spurs trading up for a Guard in this draft, but honest question how is Kobe Bufkin and say Amari Bailey much different? Bailey most likely could be had at 33 I think

If Amari learned to shoot, he could be a 3 and D specialist. Kobe can already shoot at a high level, create, and defend, and there’s some other skills that might be unlocked.

buttsR4rebounding
06-15-2023, 08:31 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

stnick2261
06-15-2023, 08:32 AM
TP was 6 years younger than TD. If a player of TP’s caliber isnt there this year, we have every year for the next six years to find a guy that can grow with Wemby.

it probably helped our cap situation back then that TP and TD werent so close in age and contract timelines.

Exactly. I would love a rookie PG this summer as well to grow with Wemby, but we have many options. We could go with PG by committee for this year and draft a PG next summer. We could get a PG 6 years older than Wemby for that same age difference for now. We could draft a young PG with the 2028 Boston pick swap because Wemby is 18 and might not even be at his peak by then (Wemby would be 23 at that point and they could still grow up together).

CGD
06-15-2023, 08:45 AM

Yeah I don’t know one way or another about the players (I only go by the scouting videos), but was just musing that linking spurs to the other two PGs could heighten their appeal (TIMVP may have just maybe Butkin a few more thousand dollars lol). And that could put Nick in their trade up strike zone around the 16-20 range.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 08:50 AM

I was thinking it could be smokescreen to go after Hood-Schifino or Wallace. Or zag toward Hawkins or Dick.

Someone posted that no player has ever succeeded who had a BPM under 1.0 at time of draft. JHS has size and core abilities like an ability to see the floor and defense. I always thought he needed another year in college, but if the Spurs develop players differently?

I'll continue to say Nick Smith Jr. is not a point guard to me. He's a guy who looks for his shot and isn't adept at either ball-handling or setting up other players. He also has real defensive issues.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Exactly. I would love a rookie PG this summer as well to grow with Wemby, but we have many options. We could go with PG by committee for this year and draft a PG next summer. We could get a PG 6 years older than Wemby for that same age difference for now. We could draft a young PG with the 2028 Boston pick swap because Wemby is 18 and might not even be at his peak by then (Wemby would be 23 at that point and they could still grow up together).

Those are probably the most likely scenarios rather than buying a new draft pick this year.

But those options are more illusory and unstable than they first appear. We can draft a point guard next year - but what point guard? We can draft one in 2025 - but what point guard? We can buy a player with picks in three years - but what player? We can always sign a free agent - but what free agent?

It's easy to say there will be excellent opportunities ahead, but it's not like saying "We can just get gas in the next town." Not every town has a gas station. You don't always get opportunities. What if the next draft classes have poor point guard prospects? Future free agents are already in the league - who do we really think can be had? Anybody?

Instead, we have tangible players that are possible with very few swings of the bat in terms of off-seasons. Say, we have six off-seasons by the example here. Maybe three of them have good point guard prospects who could be starters (and are good at, for example, shooting or defense, and have good team personalities). Maybe we're in range to get one in two of those off-seasons. Or there is a FA or a player we can pry loose in an expensive way. There's also the opportunity cost of not developing a young talent when the possibility was there.

We have only so many cracks at getting that right point guard. Why not go after one now if there are already good, real, tangible options in front of us? It makes far more sense to try than not to.

MultiTroll
06-15-2023, 09:10 AM
Who is the GNob, Parker, Joker and even Scumbag pick in this years draft?
Will there be one in retrospect 2026?

Guess if anyone knew they'd be ballin. :lol

stnick2261
06-15-2023, 09:16 AM
Those are probably the most likely scenarios rather than buying a new draft pick this year.

But those options are more illusory and unstable than they first appear. We can draft a point guard next year - but what point guard? We can draft one in 2025 - but what point guard? We can buy a player with picks in three years - but what player? We can always sign a free agent - but what free agent?

It's easy to say there will be excellent opportunities ahead, but it's not like saying "We can just get gas in the next town." Not every town has a gas station. You don't always get opportunities. What if the next draft classes have poor point guard prospects? Future free agents are already in the league - who do we really think can be had? Anybody?

Instead, we have tangible players that are possible with very few swings of the bat in terms of off-seasons. Say, we have six off-seasons by the example here. Maybe three of them have good point guard prospects who could be starters (and are good at, for example, shooting or defense, and have good team personalities). Maybe we're in range to get one in two of those off-seasons. Or there is a FA or a player we can pry loose in an expensive way. There's also the opportunity cost of not developing a young talent when the possibility was there.

We have only so many cracks at getting that right point guard. Why not go after one now if there are already good, real, tangible options in front of us? It makes far more sense to try than not to.

If we are running low on gas, I'd say we need to stop and get gas right away... but we're not. We have options. It's hard to think there's not a viable gas station at every "town" (season) when each season has a draft, free agency and trade system. We don't have to know (right now) exactly who we are getting in the future because there is really no way of knowing. We don't have to make a bad decision, or a bad trade right now because we have options and we are not pressed for time.

I would love if we could solve the PG issue now (if we are driving up on a Buccee's), but I wouldn't want to mortgage my house to be able to stop there.

I think we are agreeing(?)... I think I just have a more patient (trust the Spurs scouting over the next 11 first round draft picks) POV.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 09:27 AM
If we are running low on gas, I'd say we need to stop and get gas right away... but we're not. We have options. It's hard to think there's not a viable gas station at every "town" (season) when each season has a draft, free agency and trade system. We don't have to know (right now) exactly who we are getting in the future because there is really no way of knowing. We don't have to make a bad decision, or a bad trade right now because we have options and we are not pressed for time.

I would love if we could solve the PG issue now (if we are driving up on a Buccee's), but I wouldn't want to mortgage my house to be able to stop there.

I think we are agreeing(?)... I think I just have a more patient (trust the Spurs scouting over the next 11 first round draft picks) POV.

My point is we may have like four or five options in six years to try to fix the point guard issue. Throwing away one of those, the current one, because of imagined solutions is really bad business.

Why trust Spurs scouting in the future when we have Spurs scouting in the present? Why not use some capital now when we're probably going to have to use capital for those unseen moves in the future? Why give up on developing a player in this draft for three years in favor of some unknown and possibly not-there player three years from now? We have so many draft assets we have to spend them. It's not a Scrooge McDuck situation where we can just swim around in them indefinitely.

buttsR4rebounding
06-15-2023, 09:37 AM
But what if Scrooge McDuck has a full tank of gas?

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 09:59 AM
2019 Draft
Ja Morant (2)
Darius Garland (5)
Coby White (7)
Ty Jerome (24)
Kevin Porter Jr. (30)
Carsen Edwards (33)

2020 Draft
LaMello Ball (3)
Killian Hayes (7)
Tyrese Haliburton (12)
Kira Lewis (13)
Cole Anthony (15)
Immanuel Quickley (25)
Malachi Flynn (29)
Tre Jones (41)

2021 Draft
Cade Cunningham (1)
Jalen Suggs (5)
Josh Giddey (6)
Davion Mitchell (9)
James Bouknight (11)
Josh Primo (12)
Chris Duarte (13)
Tre Mann (18)
Bones Hyland (26)
Cam Thomas (27)

2022 Draft
Jaden Ivey (5)
Dyson Daniels (8)
Blake Wesley (25)
TyTy Washington (29)
Andrew Nembhard (31)
Kennedy Chandler (38)

Those are the point guard prospects in the last several drafts. I left out marginally non-PG types who are more SGs, but even this list is full of shoot-first SG prospects who are heliocentric. Depends, too, on what you value -- just a guy who can dribble? A guy who can shoot? A guy who can play defense? Me, I value defense alongside being able to organize an offense. There are very, very few players who meet those criteria.

We can see there are very good players here, but they are taken high, and those teams did not trade for those picks. They just got lucky where they fell. Even so, there are busts or near-busts in those ranges. As we drop from the mid-lottery, things get much dicier, and there are clear failures everywhere.

The key point, though, is this: There are very few PG prospects in every draft.

If the goal is to just get a point guard type and see what happens, then we can wait anytime. If the effort is to get someone who can (say) play defense, run pick-n-rolls, has high character (wants to play hard, be here), and may top out at least in the area of stardom, this is very hard to come by.

CorrectCrusader
06-15-2023, 10:09 AM
2019 Draft
Ja Morant (2)
Darius Garland (5)
Coby White (7)
Ty Jerome (24)
Kevin Porter Jr. (30)
Carsen Edwards (33)

2020 Draft
LaMello Ball (3)
Killian Hayes (7)
Tyrese Haliburton (12)
Kira Lewis (13)
Cole Anthony (15)
Immanuel Quickley (25)
Malachi Flynn (29)
Tre Jones (41)

2021 Draft
Cade Cunningham (1)
Jalen Suggs (5)
Josh Giddey (6)
Davion Mitchell (9)
James Bouknight (11)
Josh Primo (12)
Chris Duarte (13)
Tre Mann (18)
Bones Hyland (26)
Cam Thomas (27)

2022 Draft
Jaden Ivey (5)
Dyson Daniels (8)
Blake Wesley (25)
TyTy Washington (29)
Andrew Nembhard (31)
Kennedy Chandler (38)

Those are the point guard prospects in the last several drafts. I left out marginally non-PG types who are more SGs, but even this list is full of shoot-first SG prospects who are heliocentric. Depends, too, on what you value -- just a guy who can dribble? A guy who can shoot? A guy who can play defense? Me, I value defense alongside being able to organize an offense. There are very, very few players who meet those criteria.

We can see there are very good players here, but they are taken high, and those teams did not trade for those picks. They just got lucky where they fell. Even so, there are busts or near-busts in those ranges. As we drop from the mid-lottery, things get much dicier, and there are clear failures everywhere.

If the goal is to just get a point guard type and see what happens, then we can wait anytime. If the effort is to get someone who can (say) play defense, run pick-n-rolls, has high character (wants to play hard, be here), and may top out at least in the area of stardom, this is very hard to come by.

Honestly with how our PG prospects have developed the past few years, It makes me think that the FO could draft whatever PG and they would get good at facilitation.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 10:27 AM
I don’t like Nick Smith competitive fire at all!

I do. The kid could have sat out (and probably should have) after that injury, but he came back and gave it a go in college when it was against his best interest.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 10:29 AM
Honestly with how our PG prospects have developed the past few years, It makes me think that the FO could draft whatever PG and they would get good at facilitation.

That's probably the wrong judgment to make. There are likely only certain type of players the team feels can develop in certain ways. I don't think you could take a Bones Hyland or Cam Thomas and make them into a facilitator.

kht
06-15-2023, 11:01 AM
Guys at the 25-35 picks are interchangeable I think. We can get some good value at 33.

Ocotillo
06-15-2023, 11:18 AM
Not sure where to stick this so I will put it here only as if it were to come to fruition, it would shake up the sequence of the first round.

Report: Rockets could explore Zion Williamson trade involving No. 4 pick

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-rockets-could-explore-zion-195532365.html

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 11:21 AM
Pelicans showing Zion's ass like one of his porn stars.

Ariel
06-15-2023, 11:33 AM
I'd like to believe we're targeting Black & Bufkin, but the fact that it's being reported makes me believe it isn't so.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 11:37 AM
I'd like to believe we're targeting Black & Bufkin, but the fact that it's being reported makes me believe it isn't so.

I think we're tarheting more upside guys like Walker or NSJ. The one 'safe' pick in that range i could see that we dont talk about much for the Spurs is Gradey Dick. NSJ or Gradey could fall to the late lottery and become very affordable for us. Walker would be harder. I think we'd definitely need to be in the top 10 and likely the top 7.

Atl Spur
06-15-2023, 11:38 AM

I would agree.

Atl Spur
06-15-2023, 11:42 AM
I do. The kid could have sat out (and probably should have) after that injury, but he came back and gave it a go in college when it was against his best interest.

Gotcha. I just didn’t like what I saw but let’s keep a eye on his progression moving forward.

exstatic
06-15-2023, 11:47 AM

The thing is, teams jack with each other and jump in front in the 20s, but most teams have a pretty clear idea of what they want and need, and don't play such games in the lottery.

Ariel
06-15-2023, 11:49 AM
I think we're tarheting more upside guys like Walker or NSJ. The one 'safe' pick in that range i could see that we dont talk about much for the Spurs is Gradey Dick. NSJ or Gradey could fall to the late lottery and become very affordable for us. Walker would be harder. I think we'd definitely need to be in the top 10 and likely the top 7.
I wouldn't want to target any undersized, inefficient scoring guards that aren't good at creating for others. That archetype ends up overhyped and underperforming pretty much all the time.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't want to target any undersized, inefficient scoring guards that aren't good at creating for others. That archetype ends up overhyped and underperforming pretty much all the time.

I agree with your statement, but I don't think thats what NSJ is...

exstatic
06-15-2023, 11:58 AM
I agree with your statement, but I don't think thats what NSJ is...

An asst/TO ratio of 1.7/1.6, while acceptable for a big or big wing, is non-optimal for a guard who you might want to run your offense.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 12:11 PM
An asst/TO ratio of 1.7/1.6, while acceptable for a big or big wing, is non-optimal for a guard who you might want to run your offense.

On what...17 games playing injured... after he came in projecyed as a PG and ended up moving to an off guard position after missing so much time.... stats are a great tool, but they are misleading without context.

rjv
06-15-2023, 12:12 PM

that's why i hope the spurs don't take a flyer on amari bailey.

scott
06-15-2023, 01:54 PM
2019 Draft
Ja Morant (2)
Darius Garland (5)
Coby White (7)
Ty Jerome (24)
Kevin Porter Jr. (30)
Carsen Edwards (33)

2020 Draft
LaMello Ball (3)
Killian Hayes (7)
Tyrese Haliburton (12)
Kira Lewis (13)
Cole Anthony (15)
Immanuel Quickley (25)
Malachi Flynn (29)
Tre Jones (41)

2021 Draft
Cade Cunningham (1)
Jalen Suggs (5)
Josh Giddey (6)
Davion Mitchell (9)
James Bouknight (11)
Josh Primo (12)
Chris Duarte (13)
Tre Mann (18)
Bones Hyland (26)
Cam Thomas (27)

2022 Draft
Jaden Ivey (5)
Dyson Daniels (8)
Blake Wesley (25)
TyTy Washington (29)
Andrew Nembhard (31)
Kennedy Chandler (38)

This is a good perspective, but I imagine in a few years we'll look back at the 2023 class and think it wasn't any better than any of these. Some of the PG prospects in this draft are going to flame out and be busts. It seems to me (by this list) that a "good" PG draft would have 3-4 guys who end up with viable careers, and "bad" drafts only have 1-2. Slim margins between the two.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 01:59 PM
This is a good perspective, but I imagine in a few years we'll look back at the 2023 class and think it wasn't any better than any of these. Some of the PG prospects in this draft are going to flame out and be busts. It seems to me (by this list) that a "good" PG draft would have 3-4 guys who end up with viable careers, and "bad" drafts only have 1-2. Slim margins between the two.

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. I think Hood-Schifino has a long way to go. They could all bust. This draft isn't much different in that regard. I'm just trying to make a case that looking for a player in this draft makes sense. You can always try again if needed. My other point is that finding a few PG types who really like to get after it in defense is pretty rare.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 02:45 PM
Here's a wrinkle I wasn't aware of until I read Eric Pincus's report on each teams off-season. Orlando's contract with Jonathan Isaac for 2023-24 is guaranteed for just $7.6 million. And the final season, in 2024-25 is now fully non-guaranteed.

There are indications that they want to clear some more salary to go after FVF, it might make sense to take him in a trade for one of their picks and provide them future draft capital. We can waive Isaac or keep him and try to rehabilitate some value this season and waive him in the off-season if that doesn't work.

exstatic
06-15-2023, 02:49 PM
Here's a wrinkle I wasn't aware of until I read Eric Pincus's report on each teams off-season. Orlando's contract with Jonathan Isaac for 2023-24 is guaranteed for just $7.6 million. And the final season, in 2024-25 is now fully non-guaranteed.

There are indications that they want to clear some more salary to go after FVF, it might make sense to take him in a trade for one of their picks and provide them future draft capital. We can waive Isaac or keep him and try to rehabilitate some value this season and waive him in the off-season if that doesn't work.

Do you know what the guarantee date is for his deal? He's pretty much a nutter, so I really don't want him playing this year with the Spurs.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 02:54 PM
Do you know what the guarantee date is for his deal? He's pretty much a nutter, so I really don't want him playing this year with the Spurs.

1/10/24

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 03:24 PM
Jonathan Isaac would be amazing at one of Pop's huge team dinners, insisting on how woke everyone is.

BacktoBasics
06-15-2023, 04:08 PM
Jonathan Isaac would be amazing at one of Pop's huge team dinners, insisting on how woke everyone is.

If the guy could even get to the table without injuring himself.

TD 21
06-15-2023, 05:17 PM
Givony said today on both NBA Today and The Lowe Post that Bufkin is now firmly in the 8-13 range and teams are having trouble getting him in for workouts, leading to speculation of a promise.

He also mentioned a few days ago in his latest mock draft of the Mavericks and Pistons kicking around Hardaway Jr. and 10 for Bogdanovic and 31.

Spurs could try to get involved by offering 33, the Craptors '24 1st and the Hornets (Bulls?) 1st for 10.

2019 Draft
Ja Morant (2)
Darius Garland (5)
Coby White (7)
Ty Jerome (24)
Kevin Porter Jr. (30)
Carsen Edwards (33)

2020 Draft
LaMello Ball (3)
Killian Hayes (7)
Tyrese Haliburton (12)
Kira Lewis (13)
Cole Anthony (15)
Immanuel Quickley (25)
Malachi Flynn (29)
Tre Jones (41)

2021 Draft
Cade Cunningham (1)
Jalen Suggs (5)
Josh Giddey (6)
Davion Mitchell (9)
James Bouknight (11)
Josh Primo (12)
Chris Duarte (13)
Tre Mann (18)
Bones Hyland (26)
Cam Thomas (27)

2022 Draft
Jaden Ivey (5)
Dyson Daniels (8)
Blake Wesley (25)
TyTy Washington (29)
Andrew Nembhard (31)
Kennedy Chandler (38)

Those are the point guard prospects in the last several drafts. I left out marginally non-PG types who are more SGs, but even this list is full of shoot-first SG prospects who are heliocentric.

Either I'm not understanding you or you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

White, Jerome, Porter Jr., Edwards, Quickley, Suggs, Bouknight, Primo, Mann, Hyland, Thomas, Ivey, Daniels and Wesley are all combo guards who mostly lean off ball/secondary creators.

Cunningham and Giddey are point forwards and Duarte is a wing.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 05:36 PM
Givony said today on both NBA Today and The Lowe Post that Bufkin is now firmly in the 8-13 range and teams are having trouble getting him in for workouts, leading to speculation of a promise.

He also mentioned a few days ago in his latest mock draft of the Mavericks and Pistons kicking around Hardaway Jr. and 10 for Bogdanovic and 31.

Spurs could try to get involved by offering 33, the Craptors '24 1st and the Hornets (Bulls?) 1st for 10.

Either I'm not understanding you or you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

White, Jerome, Porter Jr., Edwards, Quickley, Suggs, Bouknight, Primo, Mann, Hyland, Thomas, Ivey, Daniels and Wesley are all combo guards who mostly lean off ball/secondary creators.

Cunningham and Giddey are point forwards and Duarte is a wing.

These are the players one could remotely call a point guard in these drafts.

My point is how rare it is to find actual facilitating points especially ones who are good defensively. Which ones of those listed match those criteria? Expecting future drafts to deliver good prospects may not work out very well.

Mr. Body
06-15-2023, 05:46 PM
I've heard Mavericks targeting Capela and a Dal/Atl swap.

td4mvp2k
06-15-2023, 06:06 PM
if im spurs i try to beat that offer with mcbuckets, collins, #33 and future 1st or 2nd for hardaway, bertans and #10

scott
06-15-2023, 06:10 PM
if im spurs i try to beat that offer with mcbuckets, collins, #33 and future 1st or 2nd for hardaway, bertans and #10

I don't love this... it might help us find a prospect to take care of PG, but it creates a massive hole at C (I'm firmly of the belief Wemby will be a PF in the NBA, or at the least need another bigger C next to him. I don't think Sochan at the 4 and Wemby at the 5 works).

BacktoBasics
06-15-2023, 06:11 PM

Capela isn’t a bad fit on Dallas. They e got to do something.

td4mvp2k
06-15-2023, 06:16 PM
I don't love this... it might help us find a prospect to take care of PG, but it creates a massive hole at C (I'm firmly of the belief Wemby will be a PF in the NBA, or at the least need another bigger C next to him. I don't think Sochan at the 4 and Wemby at the 5 works).C spot is least position to worry about in the league could easily find a gem late in draft or thru free agency. btw i would prefer a more veteran experienced center next to wemby. collins was always a project and now that they showcased him this could be time to cash in.

John B
06-15-2023, 06:39 PM
Wow. I like it all except for the CPO/FVF signing, but Ecstatic pointed out, that’s other GM’s take.

1. Signing Tre back is automatic. He is best at backup PG. He has tenacity and the signing would bring continuity in developing our drafted players;

2. I prefer Anthony Black but Kobe Bufkin could be more of a reality. I agree I don’t see the Spurs keeping both SRP and possibly throwing in a vet to move up would be interesting. But which players to trade. McBuckets or Graham seem obvious, but how much do they want Anthony Black? Trade Keldon?? Trading up for Anthony Black would show great commitment to winning in a long term, pairing a potential All-Star 2way player with Wemby. Timmy/TP. Wemby/Black would have most ST posters have wet dreams. Damn!;

3. I see Pop signing in 3 years with option to opt out. Pop would want to make sure of Wemby’s development as Spurs new cornerstone franchise;

4. I can see the Spurs will be much competitive next season, but not pushing it in the risk of injury. Wemby has mentioned he likes to win championships as soon as possible, so the Spurs will not disappoint their young players by throwing games. But I think Wemby will also understand the importance of patience and thrusting the Spurs way, as Tony and Boris have most likely already advised the young French phenom;

5. Again I don’t see the CPO/FVF signing. I see CPO signing with Lakers and FVP joining the Suns both trying to chase rings.

I like Keldon, but damn if Spurs would pull the trigger and send another future FRP for Anthony Black.

Black, Vassell, Wemby, Sochan and Collins. Damn! Collins is a perfect fit because of his ability to knockdown outside shots, and he is a very willing passer, plus his motor and tenacity is infectious. Bassey would need to be serious about getting better as he would need to defend bigger Centers. Malaki, Blake, Barlow, Champagnie, they all need to make a leap and get excited with Spurs future if they want to stick around.

I think they will be competitive and fun to watch next season. I can’t wait. Go Spurs Go!

exstatic
06-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Wow. I like it all except for the CPO/FVF signing, but Ecstatic pointed out, that’s other GM’s take.

1. Signing Tre back is automatic. He is best at backup PG. He has tenacity and the signing would bring continuity in developing our drafted players;

2. I prefer Anthony Black but Kobe Bufkin could be more of a reality. I agree I don’t see the Spurs keeping both SRP and possibly throwing in a vet to move up would be interesting. But which players to trade. McBuckets or Graham seem obvious, but how much do they want Anthony Black? Trade Keldon?? Trading up for Anthony Black would show great commitment to winning in a long term, pairing a potential All-Star 2way player with Wemby. Timmy/TP. Wemby/Black would have most ST posters have wet dreams. Damn!;

3. I see Pop signing in 3 years with option to opt out. Pop would want to make sure of Wemby’s development as Spurs new cornerstone franchise;

4. I can see the Spurs will be much competitive next season, but not pushing it in the risk of injury. Wemby has mentioned he likes to win championships as soon as possible, so the Spurs will not disappoint their young players by throwing games. But I think Wemby will also understand the importance of patience and thrusting the Spurs way, as Tony and Boris have most likely already advised the young French phenom;

5. Again I don’t see the CPO/FVF signing. I see CPO signing with Lakers and FVP joining the Suns both trying to chase rings.

I like Keldon, but damn if Spurs would pull the trigger and send another future FRP for Anthony Black.

Black, Vassell, Wemby, Sochan and Collins. Damn! Collins is a perfect fit because of his ability to knockdown outside shots, and he is a very willing passer, plus his motor and tenacity is infectious. Bassey would need to be serious about getting better as he would need to defend bigger Centers. Malaki, Blake, Barlow, Champagnie, they all need to make a leap and get excited with Spurs future if they want to stick around.

I think they will be competitive and fun to watch next season. I can’t wait. Go Spurs Go!

You’re a genius. I think they announced that a day or two ago.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 10:04 PM
Another name I'll throw out there, Tyler Herro... if the Heat go after Beal then he's probably part of the package. Would we have an interest in him as a PG if we end up as a part of a 3 team deal?

scott
06-15-2023, 10:19 PM
Another name I'll throw out there, Tyler Herro... if the Heat go after Beal then he's probably part of the package. Would we have an interest in him as a PG if we end up as a part of a 3 team deal?

I'm just a casual, this would be a coup, IMO. I'd rather take Lowry and give up 3 FRPs to get Herro rather than some unknown prospect.

mo7888
06-15-2023, 10:42 PM
I'm just a casual, this would be a coup, IMO. I'd rather take Lowry and give up 3 FRPs to get Herro rather than some unknown prospect.

I think it comes down to what Washington would prefer. Miami probably has to move Herro and Lowry to get Beal and have room to sign Vincent and Struss. If Lowry came to us they'd have to give us #18 and send Herro to Washington, so conversely Washington might prefer the Lowry/18 package since they'd be starting their rebuild. We might have to include a future 1st to convince them, but i think its doable if we wanted to go that route.

scott
06-15-2023, 10:55 PM
I'd assume Miami would try to move Lowry and Duncan Robinson first... it's a weird deal because both sides are salary dumping and have to give up to get... it would be amazing if we could somehow scoop Herro. Like I said, I'd rather give up 3 FRPs for him than a prospect in this draft. If we can get him for cheaper, mega win. He helps us get to the floor as well.

John B
06-16-2023, 12:42 AM
You’re a genius. I think they announced that a day or two ago.

Haha I’m traveling. I didn’t even get to watch any Finals game, much less check on what’s going on around the league, just catching up in ST

kobyz
06-16-2023, 02:53 AM

Especially with all the cash gonna come to them with Wemby festival

kace
06-16-2023, 11:05 AM
He may practice with the team but San Antonio wants him to rest after Metropolitans 92’s deep run in the postseason. Additionally, Wembanyama wants to play for the French national team this summer — so that makes it even more imperative for him to rest as much as possible during the month of July.

well, i'm surprised that everyone here seems so sure the Spurs will be OK that he plays in the World Cup this summer. I would understand them preferring him not to go.

He's new with the team, he'll have a busy summer just finding a new home and settling in San Antonio. And the team has to see with him the way they will work together. I'm sure the team would like him to get used to his new routine (training, conditioning etc etc...) with the Spurs.

so, as much as i'm waiting for seeing him with the French national team in a big tournament, and as much as i know the Spurs will let him play for his national team next year for the OG and many times after that, i'd understand if they try to convince him to rest and prepare himself this summer.

and by the way, neither his coach, who is also the french national team coach, nor him said he will play in the World Cup for sure in their last press conference.

BatManu20
06-16-2023, 11:25 AM
The fact we haven’t heard anything about Cason Wallace makes me think he might be the guy the Spurs are targeting to move up for tbh :lol. Or even Jalen Hood-Schifino. Guys we haven’t heard connected to us at all so far.

Either could be good gets imo. Wallace seems like the perfect type of Spurs player. High-character and not real flashy. Just a strong, hard-nosed defender with a good feel for the game and who plays the right way. One of the best perimeter defenders in the Draft and has that Kentucky pedigree. Could easily see the Spurs liking him tbh.

Mr. Body
06-16-2023, 11:27 AM
The fact we haven’t heard anything about Cason Wallace makes me think he might be the guy the Spurs are targeting to move up for tbh :lol. Or even Jalen Hood-Schifino. Guys we haven’t heard connected to us at all so far.

Get ready for a Dick punch.

BatManu20
06-16-2023, 11:30 AM
Get ready for a Dick punch.

Imagine the joke possibilities.

Mr. Body
06-16-2023, 11:33 AM
Imagine the joke possibilities.

Stop, stop, I can only get so erect.

exstatic
06-16-2023, 11:35 AM
well, i'm surprised that everyone here seems so sure the Spurs will be OK that he plays in the World Cup this summer. I would understand them preferring him not to go.

He's new with the team, he'll have a busy summer just finding a new home and settling in San Antonio. And the team has to see with him the way they will work together. I'm sure the team would like him to get used to his new routine (training, conditioning etc etc...) with the Spurs.

so, as much as i'm waiting for seeing him with the French national team in a big tournament, and as much as i know the Spurs will let him play for his national team next year for the OG and many times after that, i'd understand if they try to convince him to rest and prepare himself this summer.

and by the way, neither his coach, who is also the french national team coach, nor him said he will play in the World Cup for sure in their last press conference.

I remember from back in the Manu Tony days of international ball, that they only way they can stop him is if he's injured. The league wants the international exposure, and I believe it's in the CBA.

Vince Carter's ankle
06-16-2023, 11:37 AM

Either could be good gets imo. Wallace seems like the perfect type of Spurs player. High-character and not real flashy. Just a strong, hard-nosed defender with a good feel for the game and who plays the right way. One of the best perimeter defenders in the Draft and has that Kentucky pedigree. Could easily see the Spurs liking him tbh.